Lincoln

7.5

1. Apr 17, 2013
    Being a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mockBeing a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mock today's government/congress and made political parties look absolutely ridiculous. Go watch this film if you have the time and want to watch a great acting performance by Day-Lewis. Expand
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    The strength of this film lies in the golden script, and wonderful cast. Daniel Day Lewis brings a certain livelihood, and genuine charm to Lincoln that makes you disappointed in current politics. It brings the same love for a classic hero of American folklore, but at the intimate level, where you love the man, not just his words. I give the writers absolute credit for focusing on theThe strength of this film lies in the golden script, and wonderful cast. Daniel Day Lewis brings a certain livelihood, and genuine charm to Lincoln that makes you disappointed in current politics. It brings the same love for a classic hero of American folklore, but at the intimate level, where you love the man, not just his words. I give the writers absolute credit for focusing on the messy way slavery was eliminated. Not in an epic battle of good and evil, but through messy politicking. Also, there is nothing quite like hearing congressmen dishing out insults in 1860's American speech. There is a certain distance in the film which prevents it from being this year's best, but nonetheless this is a rare, charming, gem that should not be passed up. Expand
  3. Nov 21, 2012
    Before you see this you have to know this isn't about Lincoln as much as it is about passing the 13th amendment. While it does drag (it's 2.5 hours) it's never boring and it's filled with plenty chuckles to carry it along. Day-Lewis IS Lincoln and is sure to win the Oscar. Much like Ledger and the Joker, I could not imagine anyone else in the role.
  4. Feb 17, 2014
    Having Steven Spielberg, the mastermind behind many of the films with the highest budget and the biggest scale in the last 40 years, direct an entirely dialogue-centred portrayal of Abraham Lincoln doesn’t seem like your first choice. However, it proved to be an excellent one, as Spielberg’s vogue attracted some of the most talented people currently in the business to his project, both inHaving Steven Spielberg, the mastermind behind many of the films with the highest budget and the biggest scale in the last 40 years, direct an entirely dialogue-centred portrayal of Abraham Lincoln doesn’t seem like your first choice. However, it proved to be an excellent one, as Spielberg’s vogue attracted some of the most talented people currently in the business to his project, both in the acting and general filmmaking cast, and thereby obtained twelve much deserved Academy Award nominations. Lincoln is an excellent biographical film, informative due to the information it brings up about the real-life figures working as supporting characters in the film and entertaining with an immensely talented acting ensemble and an enthralling way of storytelling, even though we’re all familiar to the story. Expand
  5. Nov 26, 2012
    With most biopics, the reason we are so interested in them is because they threaten to take their star down from his powerful placement in history, and show him as human rather than god. This year we get two hotly anticipated films which will attempt to do just that: **** and Lincoln. Both men have contributed so much in their respective fields that they are rarely seen in a bad light, norWith most biopics, the reason we are so interested in them is because they threaten to take their star down from his powerful placement in history, and show him as human rather than god. This year we get two hotly anticipated films which will attempt to do just that: **** and Lincoln. Both men have contributed so much in their respective fields that they are rarely seen in a bad light, nor are people ecstatic to see them portrayed as mere men. However, I can definitely say Lincoln attempts to show Abraham Lincoln as one of us, and not merely an icon placed upon an unreachable pedestal. With incredible acting on the part of everyone, but especially Sally Field and Daniel Day-Lewis, and writing by Tony Kushner that is both enticing and fitting for the period, Lincoln is a concrete example of how to make a biopic flourish while still being faithful and engrossing. Read the rest of the review at http://independentcinema.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/lincoln-scratches-his-beard-just-like-any-other-man/ Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    I mostly enjoyed this movie, however I did find some things which I disliked. For the first hour or something, you get a monotonous story, and a bit slow in pace. You get bombarded with tons of names of different people throughout history that is impossible to remember after some time, and I will admit I did feel bored multiple times through the first 1 and a half hours.
    In the last hour
    In the last hour though, i really enjoyed the movie. From the point when the preparations for the voting of the Amendment began, my attention was fully on the movie and I really enjoyed it from that point on.
    Steven Spielberg has his way to tell stories, and this movie proved it, with a unique way of showing the life and character of the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War.
    What really amazed me though was the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis, which was simply amazing throughout. I kept thinking how this guy deserved his Oscar award!
    Generally, I did enjoy this movie, but where some points I disliked, but it is definitely one worth watching.
    Detailed rating: 7.9/10.
    Watched on March 15th 2013.
  7. Feb 6, 2013
    Era un film a rischio, ‘Lincoln’, così a rischio di scivolare nella retorica da farsi prendere con le molle malgrado il plauso generale. Sia la retorica statunitense in generale la tendenza a stelle e strisce a lodarsi, e pure imbrodarsi, conosciuta sia quella di Spielberg in particolare, regista che ha tra i suoi non molti difetti proprio il calcare la mano in materia finendo a volteEra un film a rischio, ‘Lincoln’, così a rischio di scivolare nella retorica da farsi prendere con le molle malgrado il plauso generale. Sia la retorica statunitense in generale la tendenza a stelle e strisce a lodarsi, e pure imbrodarsi, conosciuta sia quella di Spielberg in particolare, regista che ha tra i suoi non molti difetti proprio il calcare la mano in materia finendo a volte per perdere il controllo. Per evitare la trappola, il buon Steven e il suo sceneggiatore Tony Kushner scelgono di concentrare l’attenzione sugli ultimi mesi di vita del sedicesimo Presidente e sulla sua battaglia per il Tredicesimo Emendamento riguardante l’abolizione della schiavitù: l’antidoto il racconto della politica politicante che può non essere bella da vedere, ma a volte necessaria e, grazie a una regia che sfiora la perfezione, i suoi intrighi rendono appassionante una pellicola di oltre due ore e e mezza (con in più il regalo almeno per me che nell’immaginazione il ‘giovane mr. Lincoln’ continua a essere Henry Fonda). Con tali premesse, pare superflua la considerazione che ci troviamo davanti a un film di parola e non d’azione, a volte quasi teatrale nel suo svolgersi in gran parte in interni rifatti con cura e con una certa predilezione per le luci fioche (ma era proprio così buia la Casa Bianca?). La scrittura non accusa mai battute a vuoto, tanto che sono i dialoghi stessi a dare alla pellicola il suo ritmo, certo lento ma mai noioso. A Washington si incrociano politici che non vogliono perdere il seggio o aspirano a piccoli privilegi come il Clay Hawkins di Walton Goggins e trafficoni incaricati di ammorbidirli (il volutamente volgare Bilbo di James Spader), vecchi patriarchi che annusano il futuro (Hal Holbrook Preston Blair) e uomini arroccati sulle loro posizioni capaci di giungere fino all’insulto personale, incarnati dal Fernando Wood di Lee Pace: fra tutti costoro, Lincoln procede sicuro (delle proprie idee) verso l’obbiettivo che si prefissato, malgrado ci sia l’esigenza di cercare una pace con la Confederazione che vede l’emendamento come fumo negli occhi. Ad interpretarlo, uno splendido Daniel Day-Lewis che –oltre alla mimesi fisica capace di rendere la decisione politica di un uomo ‘investito di un potere immenso’ e, allo stesso tempo, le sofferenze interiori di un padre che ha perso un figlio e vuole evitare la guerra all’altro (tanto da riuscire a imboscare al Quartier Generale lo scalpitante Robert Joseph Gordon-Levitt quando quest’ultimo veste infine la divisa). Ne esce un personaggio sfaccettato a cui la voce di Pierfrancesco Favino rende (o pare rendere, non avendo io sentito la versione originale) un buon servizio: altrettanto non si può dire del doppiaggio di Sally Field che, per il resto, riesce a essere credibile come moglio di Lincoln pur avendo dieci anni più di Day-Lewis. Un voto qui e uno là, il Presidente vince il braccio di ferro in una tesissima seduta alla Camera, giocata sui primi piani dei deputati e alternata alle immagini di Lincoln che aspetta la notizia giocando con il figlio più piccolo: la schiavitù abolita per la commozione di Thaddeus Stevens, un bravissimo Tommy Lee Jones, che vede realizzarsi il sogno di una vita e il cui ritorno a casa regala uno dei pochi sorrisi sereni del film resta solo da fermare la guerra. Forse si poteva chiudere qui, in un momento di grande pathos, però la lenta cavalcata del Presidente sul campo di battaglia di Petersburg (che potrebbe essere Passchendaele, o Omaha Beach) consente a Spielberg di mettere ancora una volta per immagini l’orrore della guerra. Dopo il colpo di pistola di Booth (fuori scena), la retorica ritorna con le immagini del secondo discorso d’insediamento sul prato della Casa Bianca, ma la dose quella giusta e la scena si rivela essere l’ultimo colpo d’ala grazie alle parole di Lincoln, ma anche per i volti di una folla in cui ogni singolo ha la sua personalità (peccato solo per quella anacronistica bandiera a cinquanta stelle…). Expand
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    The history in this film was such an amazing view on the world in the civil war era. It really captured the struggle it took for Lincoln to get the slavery bill passed. This will probably go down as the greatest Lincoln film to ever be produced. Spielberg couldn't have picked a better Lincoln than Daniel Day Lewis. Lewis really let Lincoln consume him because he perfected the man that wasThe history in this film was such an amazing view on the world in the civil war era. It really captured the struggle it took for Lincoln to get the slavery bill passed. This will probably go down as the greatest Lincoln film to ever be produced. Spielberg couldn't have picked a better Lincoln than Daniel Day Lewis. Lewis really let Lincoln consume him because he perfected the man that was Abraham Lincoln. What made me not give this movie a 9 was the ending. The ending was purely a let down. It would have been nice to see Lincoln get assassinated, and I know that sounds hateful in a way, but that is my only criticism. Many Lincoln movies have been made and they never show Lincoln getting shot in the back of the head. Capturing that part in the movie would have been pivotal in such an already great movie. Close the book! Show the assassination. I just hope this movie ends the infatuation of Abraham Lincoln. Nobody could have made this movie better than Stephen Spielberg. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    Certamente foi um filme bem interessante, graças a genialidade de Steven Spielberg e a atuação hipnótica de Daniel Day-Lewis e de todo seu elenco que foi magnífico.
  10. CBN
    Nov 21, 2012
    Day-Lewis proves once again he is the best actor of his generation. Spielberg's touch and mastery are all over the film, yet a bit hard to follow at time with the onslaught of new characters and dialogue. Overall, a wonderful movie experience.
  11. Dec 3, 2012
    Spielberg & Tony Kushner managed to to transfer us into the mind of Lincoln giving us a historical thriller that will soon become a "Classic".The film has the two "battlefields" of war and politics that keep us on the edge of our seats.As it goes for Daniel Day-Lewis(Lincoln) I have only one word: "Breathtaking".
  12. Jan 10, 2013
    Very, very well made, and great acting. Great movie. At some times, can seem melodramatic, but all in all, it's a great film. Daniel Day Lewis delivers Lincoln expertly.
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    slow at most times, but the acting is fantastic and story is thought-provoking. Steven Spielberg really knows what he's doing, and this movie helps to prove it
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    A very solid movie all the way through. It's well acted by an ensemble cast, involving, and directed with assurance. I've heard people say that it drags, but in actuality it moves by very quickly for such a long movie. In other words, it's very well paced in its storytelling. Day Lewis makes a great Lincoln, and there's plenty of political intrigue. Abe Lincoln might not have been asA very solid movie all the way through. It's well acted by an ensemble cast, involving, and directed with assurance. I've heard people say that it drags, but in actuality it moves by very quickly for such a long movie. In other words, it's very well paced in its storytelling. Day Lewis makes a great Lincoln, and there's plenty of political intrigue. Abe Lincoln might not have been as honest as his reputation has made him out to be, but he may have actually been a better person. Expand
  15. Apr 11, 2013
    People really need to consider Hollywood and the contrast with history. Films are meant to capture the greatest of something, and I don't believe most people could name one film completely accurate to something historical. Daniel Day-Lewis did a fantastic job as usual, and Spielberg is always a favorite. Of course the film lacked historical accuracy, but I highly enjoyed it and the castPeople really need to consider Hollywood and the contrast with history. Films are meant to capture the greatest of something, and I don't believe most people could name one film completely accurate to something historical. Daniel Day-Lewis did a fantastic job as usual, and Spielberg is always a favorite. Of course the film lacked historical accuracy, but I highly enjoyed it and the cast was magnificent. It's very hard to keep up with Daniel Day-Lewis and most of the cast did very well at it. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2013
    Lincoln is a grenade filled with emotions. But, hopelessly, its not a Speilberg movie, I'd rather call it a Daniel-day Lewis' movie. To Speilberg, sir, it seems like the perfect time to let go this war-mania of you.
    Humbly yours, Saving Private Ryan lover.
  17. Feb 3, 2014
    和这位伟人一样,本片很沉闷,当然也是一部拍得很美的电影,刘易斯的演技如火纯青,菲尔德和琼斯的演技也很不错,John Williams继续发挥其大神水准。
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    Even though I am more of a Confederate guy... I gotta say that the film Lincoln is a great film with great acting and a great inside look at Lincolns time as president.
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    Steven Spielberg loves to tell a story and that is what makes his movies so engrossing even when the subject matter appears a bit daunting, however Lincoln's pacing is an issue that only the die hard fans could possibly ignore. In terms of entertainment one must have a love of history, a love acting and love of politics if you do not have these then this film will score low on yourSteven Spielberg loves to tell a story and that is what makes his movies so engrossing even when the subject matter appears a bit daunting, however Lincoln's pacing is an issue that only the die hard fans could possibly ignore. In terms of entertainment one must have a love of history, a love acting and love of politics if you do not have these then this film will score low on your entertainment measure. From a cinematic stand point it is something one could study and learn a lot from.
    Entertainment value a crushing 6.5
    On the Poe Scale an impressive 8.5

Acting: 1.5/2
    Cinematography: 1.5/2
    Editing: 2/2
    Effects and Design 2/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  20. Feb 21, 2016
    In a film like this the last thing you would want is for the film makers to be historically illiterate. Usually it takes a sharp eye to catch that but this film takes no time and right at the very start destroys your confidence in the film's accuracy by calling the north free. That put me on the edge and I couldn't just relax and enjoy the rest of the film.

And yet despite that early

And yet despite that early blunder Lincoln did turn out to be a great film that was superbly acted. It was a film where the main character gave many speeches and told strange tales that went nowhere. Usually saying that would mean criticising the film but here it's made to work. You want to keep watching Daniel Day-Lewis. The movie pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the end.

It also looks spectacular. It has the type of gorgeous visuals that you'd want in a grand historical epic. If only it was one, because while the story is good it is somewhat lacking. Generally politics doesn't make for the most interesting story subject and that maybe the films problem.

But overall Lincoln is the type of film you would expect from Steven Spielberg in terms of quality and I highly recommend it to fans of historical drama.
  21. Nov 20, 2012
    The movie is saved by outstanding performances by the supporting cast, including some moments of humor by James Spader. It's a good movie, but not the type of historical account that you'll return to like you would Schindler's List. DDL is, of course, excellent, but the movie as a whole is essentially solid work.
  22. BKM
    Nov 19, 2012
    Lincoln will likely appeal to political junkies above all others thanks to its complex and in-depth examination of the painstaking process of passing legislation through a gridlocked congress-which has eerie parallels to our current political climate. But the remainder of viewers will have to be satisfied with an expertly crafted, albeit somewhat creaky, historical drama fueled by aLincoln will likely appeal to political junkies above all others thanks to its complex and in-depth examination of the painstaking process of passing legislation through a gridlocked congress-which has eerie parallels to our current political climate. But the remainder of viewers will have to be satisfied with an expertly crafted, albeit somewhat creaky, historical drama fueled by a career capping turn from Daniel Day-Lewis and an excellent supporting performance from Tommy Lee Jones. Expand
  23. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    "Team of Rivals" was totally engrossing, but somehow this excellent production does not quite capture the complex, conflicted personalities of Lincoln's cohorts. Daniel Day-Lewis is, of course, amazing, but his wit & wisdom here often match the overall preachy tone of the film. (Is DDL ever going to be sexy again, as he was in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"???) It's fun to catch so"Team of Rivals" was totally engrossing, but somehow this excellent production does not quite capture the complex, conflicted personalities of Lincoln's cohorts. Daniel Day-Lewis is, of course, amazing, but his wit & wisdom here often match the overall preachy tone of the film. (Is DDL ever going to be sexy again, as he was in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"???) It's fun to catch so many great character actors, though everyone in the movie has kind of a dark and gritty look -- like they just came back from working in an Appalachian coal mine. Expand
  24. Jul 14, 2013
    I really don't think anyone really needs any kind of lengthy review of this movie at this point. You know what it's about, or at least you should.

Exceptional acting from the entire cast; a very well written script and great directing.
  25. Mar 30, 2013
    So overall I liked Lincoln and found it interesting. I liked the characters especially Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. I found the story somewhat interesting. Having said that a lot of my interest comes from my interest in history. I feel like if you aren’t into history or politics and you really don’t like dialogue heavy movies you really aren’t going ot get into this film. And even I amSo overall I liked Lincoln and found it interesting. I liked the characters especially Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. I found the story somewhat interesting. Having said that a lot of my interest comes from my interest in history. I feel like if you aren’t into history or politics and you really don’t like dialogue heavy movies you really aren’t going ot get into this film. And even I am going to admit that yeah this film did not really hold my interest and that if it weren’t for the critical praise I’d give this film an eh rating. But because of critical praise and my interest in history I’m seeing this movie in a somewhat positive light. If you like history, you like politics, and you like Lincoln your probably like the movie Lincoln ok but just like it ok. Not as overrated as Argo but still kind of overrated. Expand
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    Lincoln is a great historical political film from Spielberg. Day-Lewis is absolutely perfect as Lincoln (when is he not perfect?) and the acting throughout is excellent. That said, there are a few niggles. The prime one being that Lincoln's death is not really gone into. I understand the artistic reasons for going in that direction, but it's still disappointing to be deprived of such aLincoln is a great historical political film from Spielberg. Day-Lewis is absolutely perfect as Lincoln (when is he not perfect?) and the acting throughout is excellent. That said, there are a few niggles. The prime one being that Lincoln's death is not really gone into. I understand the artistic reasons for going in that direction, but it's still disappointing to be deprived of such a famous and dramatic moment in history. Otherwise, it's a great slice of film-making. Expand
  27. Jan 30, 2013
    Last year USA-born Meryl Streep won her third Oscar for the portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in THE IRON LADY (2011, 7/10), this year the academy will (seemingly) reciprocate a third Oscar to Brit Daniel Day-Lewis in his rendition of Abraham Lincoln. It
  28. Nov 21, 2012
    A drama movie laden with history and political theater. The pacing starts off a little slow but picks up nicely at the end. I will admit it was hard to understand all the references at times but the movie does a great job of keeping you engrossed in the time period. I highly suggest you read about the history of the 13th amendment to understand the film better as I think you'll get moreA drama movie laden with history and political theater. The pacing starts off a little slow but picks up nicely at the end. I will admit it was hard to understand all the references at times but the movie does a great job of keeping you engrossed in the time period. I highly suggest you read about the history of the 13th amendment to understand the film better as I think you'll get more enjoyment from it. I will watch this again for sure. Turned out to be pretty powerful. Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2012
    It's a serious film, all right, and professional in every way--it's also a bit plodding and didactic. Daniel Day Lewis again gives the kind of performance that wins awards, but as always he seems to be standing alongside the character--thinking about him, solving acting problems, but never jumping inside his skin.
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    Lincoln was one of those movies that is very well done, it appears to capture the period with historical accuracy, the acting is very good, the story historically and socially significant. But it was rather slow moving and not particularly compelling given the compelling subject matter, and I like both politics and history.

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is really nothing about it that would make me want to sit through it again.

1. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Jan 11, 2013
    Steeped in the bitter political divisions of the Civil War, Spielberg's thrilling film about hardwon freedoms is immersed in its own time, but speaks eloquently to ours.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jan 10, 2013
    As unexpected as it is intelligent, thanks to virtuoso work from Spielberg and Kushner, Lincoln is landmark filmmaking, while Day-Lewis is so authentic he pulls off that stovepipe.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lincoln does sometimes get a little sappy around the edges. Though his project here is clearly one of conscious self-restraint, Spielberg can't resist the occasional opportunity for patriotic tear-jerking, usually signaled by a swell of John Williams' symphonic score. But in between, there are long stretches that are as quiet, contemplative, and austere as anything Spielberg has ever done.