Lions for Lambs

5.1

1. Sep 7, 2011
    "Lions for Lambs" is very smart considering the words it carefully chooses with a strong cast, but in the end it fails to give its disjointed lecture and confuses us whether we should fight for the US and die in a cold mountain shot with AK-47s by the Taliban or live our daily life.
  2. JayH.
    Apr 4, 2008
    Unfortunate misfire, but still has some strong moments. Meryl Streep is magnificent as always, Tom Cruise stinks as always. The film lacks the power it intended. The script isn't believable, people don't really talk like that. It seems like it was written by people who didn't bother to research real people who are directly involved in the subject matter.
  3. GuyM.
    Nov 10, 2007
    I thought it ended too soon. The scenes with Robert Redford were the most appealing to me. Tom Cruises' debut was one scene cut many times and felt like it was filmed just over two days. Was it?
  4. DeLaBlanc
    Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhat cerebral...at times dynamic...but with a must do ending
  5. BillyS.
    Nov 9, 2007
    I was hoping for Lions to Lambs to be Robert Redford's take on the Iraq war and all out indictment of President Bush and his policies, instead I got a 3-part lecture on how really indifferent the public is and by looking the other way, we've all become the lambs to the lions of the government think tank. What a waste of time.
  6. ChadS.
    Jan 31, 2008
    If N.W.A. co-founder Eazy-E was still alienating poor, black people in 2008, how would the Republican-come-lately address the Iraqi War? Prior to his untimely death, the gangsta rapper from Compton paid $2500 for a plate at the 1991 Republican Senators Inner Circle luncheon. This piece of gallows trivia occupied my mind as Ernest(Michael Pena) and Arian(Derek Luke) argue in the If N.W.A. co-founder Eazy-E was still alienating poor, black people in 2008, how would the Republican-come-lately address the Iraqi War? Prior to his untimely death, the gangsta rapper from Compton paid $2500 for a plate at the 1991 Republican Senators Inner Circle luncheon. This piece of gallows trivia occupied my mind as Ernest(Michael Pena) and Arian(Derek Luke) argue in the affirmitive for a millitary conscription revival during a political science seminar. Statistics back up their assertion that high school seniors are wasting taxpayer's money by going to college. If you're eighteen and can't locate Canada on a geographical map, the two Army volunteers assert that you should stop being a burden on the American public(by killing time at community college), and be of use to your country(and die). Arian is black; purposely so, since it's no accident that his homonymic name when spoken, denotes that his skin color should be white. That's Arian with an "i", which could be interpreted as a critique of black people who affiliate themselves with the Republican party. Arian argues that the poor and disadvantaged people(who hail from neighborhoods with subpar educational institutions) should do our fighting for us. To make the role-reversal complete, the students who argue against Ernest(as in "earnest"; "earnestly wrong-headed", an "earnestly wrong-headed Hispanic student") and Arian's designs on the impoverished class is predominantly white. "Lions for Lambs" may treat these two students as if they were heroes; as men of valor; men who fought bravely for Uncle Sam, but in actuality, they're punished for insidiously advancing of the conservative agenda. These two men are used to recruit their own kind into combat; the kind of people who don't live in houses with green lawns and white picket fences. The "i" in Arian's name refers to himself; as in "i" instead of "I". If only the rest of "Lions for Lambs" was this thought-provoking. You'll either be bored, or bored to tears, whenever the movie cuts back to Meryl Streep(she's a reporter) and Tom Cruise(he's a congressman), whose dialogue about the Bush administration's mishandling of the ongoing war has a tell-me-something-I-don't know monotony to it. Collapse

1. Robert Redford’s Lions for Lambs is the clunkiest, windiest, and roughest of the lot. Most of it is dead on the screen. But its earnestness is so naked that it exerts a strange pull. You have to admire a director who works so diligently to help us rise above all the bad karma.
  2. Politicians, the media, educators, military commanders and a docile public all come under fire in a well-made movie that offers no answers but raises many important questions.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Amounts to a giant cry of "Americans, get engaged!" wrapped in a star-heavy discourse that uses a lot of words to say nothing new.