7.3

1. AaronD
    Jun 29, 2007
    Sure, if you look to this movie as anything but a straight up action flick, you might be a bit disappointed. If, however, you're looking for some crazy, over-the-top action with some solid acting by all the major players, especially Bruce Willis, then you can't do much better than this.
  2. RonRonron
    Jul 1, 2007
    Absolutely awesome 2 hours. Willis rules, and this was the best Die Hard yet. Sure the action was over the top, but who cares. Some of the best bad-guy deaths in recent movie memory are in LFODH.
  3. AaronS.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This is the best movie I've seen this year so far. God Bless John McClane for saving America and saving my summer. From some few others who saw it with me said they felt there was too much. In the age of CGI too much action rarely happens. Every person was believable in their role. Bruce Willis definitely does not act his age. Great movie. Action fans will not be disappointed.
  4. PaulKotsamanes
    Jun 30, 2007
    There isn't a score high enough for how good this movie is. Sure there are dumb villains, unbelievable stunts, and an invincible aging Bruce Willis, but that's what makes it so good. Is it the best action movie ever, maybe, I can't remember the last movie that was this much fun to watch.
  5. JulianM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Great and creative action sequences for another great addition to the Die Hard series.
  6. RatchetB.
    Jul 1, 2007
    For an action movie to keep up with todays standards and not loose itself in flash and excess perversion to entertain the audience, Live Free Or Die Hard will go down as not only one of the best of the Die Hard series, but most definitely one of the true great action movies of 2007.
  7. Shane
    Jul 16, 2007
    This movie replaces Die Hard 1 as my favourite movie of all time. It is non-stop action. It just doesn't stop, I was lucky enough to go to the bathroom for about 1 minute when there was nothing happen and the second I got back things started blowing up again. If you want to see awsome action..then this is your movie.
  8. JaredC
    Jul 20, 2007
    Awesome action and extremely thrilling.
  9. AdnyA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    in a time when CGI heroes fills our movie screen, this is just the right ingredient to bring things back to the way action movies used to be. This is Die Hard reborn for our modern day. With the large scale threat, slick dialog, and heavy action we've come to know from the series, I guess it would only take Bruce Willis to bring things back to basic fun film making. and thank god in a time when CGI heroes fills our movie screen, this is just the right ingredient to bring things back to the way action movies used to be. This is Die Hard reborn for our modern day. With the large scale threat, slick dialog, and heavy action we've come to know from the series, I guess it would only take Bruce Willis to bring things back to basic fun film making. and thank god he's not 3D. Im off to have a beer in honor of Bruce Willis...the man who saved my summer of 2007. This has been the only movie i walked out of (so far) without any major disappointments. instead i walked out with my jaw still dropped from 95% of the action i've witnessed in the film. Expand
  10. SerajT
    Jul 2, 2007
    You would think that a Die Hard movie cant rock a PG-13. I would say this movie was almost on the same level as the first one, if not its on the same level. This movie does a great job for PH-13 limitations, meaning it has its fair share of Explosions, Cursing, and beating women. Some of the stunts are a bt over the top but damn its just way to cool. Great movie. Bruce, you are still the man.
  11. ShaunnaW.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Classic action flick. Highly recommend it. Spread the word. This thing has legs.
  12. JaredB.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Being a fan of the entire "Die Hard" series, I went into this one expecting it to be as entertaining as the others. I was not disappointed. I found that I was actually MORE entertained by "Live free or Die Hard" than any of the other films. Bruce Willis returns as John McClane, who is no longer on the force and is given the job of escorting a computer hacker accused of some cybercrimes. Being a fan of the entire "Die Hard" series, I went into this one expecting it to be as entertaining as the others. I was not disappointed. I found that I was actually MORE entertained by "Live free or Die Hard" than any of the other films. Bruce Willis returns as John McClane, who is no longer on the force and is given the job of escorting a computer hacker accused of some cybercrimes. Complicating matters, McClane's daughter, Lucy, is kidnapped by a gang of, you guessed it, cyberhackers who are planning a terrorist attack on the Capital Building in Washington, D.C. McClane enlists the hackers help. What follows is a series of chase scenes and special effects that can only be described in one word: awesome. I especially liked the scene where a car and a helicopter collide in midair. As I stated before, I am a fan of the entire series. I preferred this one over the others for two reasons. First of all, the villains, especially Timothy Olyphant's character, were some of the best in the entire series. Secondly, while this film does contain some language, we finally go through the entire movie without hearing the mother of all cusswords. For me, this was a welcome change. If you like action films, I can't recommend this film highly enough. Yippee-ki-yay, indeed. Expand
  13. JordanA.
    Jun 27, 2007
    This movie was awesome. Highly recommended if you like action movies. It was also very, very funny. Everyone should go and see this movie.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Everything you want in a summer action blockbuster.
  15. IsaiahM.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. Who needs a super hero when you've got John McClane?
  16. JA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Best action Movie on a long time, just as funny - but not as corny - as the first. Best use of computers in a main stream action movie - it wasn't too made up, over simplified, or overly wrong.
  17. ChrisW.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Pure Hollywood Gold! So much action that I felt like the theatre was going to collapse. The sound of this movie alone will give you an adrenaline rush. Bruce Willis was great and the writing is decent. If you want to see the best Action movie this summer... this is it! If you want Sci-fi, then go see transformers. If you want real American action... then it's time for you to "Live Pure Hollywood Gold! So much action that I felt like the theatre was going to collapse. The sound of this movie alone will give you an adrenaline rush. Bruce Willis was great and the writing is decent. If you want to see the best Action movie this summer... this is it! If you want Sci-fi, then go see transformers. If you want real American action... then it's time for you to "Live Free or Die Hard!" Expand
  18. filmfan
    Jun 30, 2007
    Awesome flick. great acting, great story, great action sequences. what else could you ask for in a summer movie. Great Popcorn Fun flick.
  19. RubenN.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Though a non-believer at first, now I'm hoping for a 5th movie! I don't know how it happened, but it just did. Don't miss it, the Die Hards are templates for action movies around the world.
  20. TomC
    Jul 2, 2007
    This was a great movie for a sequel. I read the user ratings and believe me they are more accurate then the critics. How some critics gave this movie a low score is beyond me. Being a critic must be the easiest job in the world, useless too. Because 80% of the time they are completely off. Some critics should realize most people out there don't give a rats ass about a movie other This was a great movie for a sequel. I read the user ratings and believe me they are more accurate then the critics. How some critics gave this movie a low score is beyond me. Being a critic must be the easiest job in the world, useless too. Because 80% of the time they are completely off. Some critics should realize most people out there don't give a rats ass about a movie other then its entertainment value. Expand
  21. JohnS.
    Jul 4, 2007
    Live Free or Die Hard is represents a true old school action movie. This is on the same level as the original Die Hard. The Die Hard mythology is alive an well. I'm glad the director did not get caught up in CGI and slow motion shots. Bruce Willis is the only man that can play John McClane.
  22. ZachC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    This movie was totally awesome from beginning to end. Hardcore Die Hard fans will absolutely love Bruce Willis' bad-ass one liners. One of the most fun movie-going experiences I've had ever.
  23. Bukkarooo
    Jul 7, 2007
    Just saw Live Free or Die Hard.... and it was amazing!!! My adrenaline was pumping almost every second! The main story is about a man who used to work for the government, suggested they streagthen their security, then was publicly humiliated by them. So, to show them how vulnerable it is, he attempts a "fire sale". That is, shutting down everything run by computers. Water, power, phones, Just saw Live Free or Die Hard.... and it was amazing!!! My adrenaline was pumping almost every second! The main story is about a man who used to work for the government, suggested they streagthen their security, then was publicly humiliated by them. So, to show them how vulnerable it is, he attempts a "fire sale". That is, shutting down everything run by computers. Water, power, phones, everything. John McClaine, a detective for the NYPD (main character in this and every other Die Hard) had a fight with his daughter, then is sent to pick up a hacker, Matthew Farrel, and bring him to DC as a suspect for the hacking attempt on the white house. On the way, the fire sail spreads, and they figure out the people behind it are trying to kill Farrel. When they get into DC, the traffic lights are hacked to create mass chaos, there is an anthrax scare, and a video is put up on TV with a message, with each word/phrase from video clips from our presidents, Bush and Nixon and the like. I don't want to give to much away, so I'll stop now. I highly reccomend this to any fan of the Die Hard movies, action movies, or anyone looking for an adrenaline filled way to pass the time. * * * * * 5 Stars Expand
  24. Sam
    Jul 9, 2007
    Live Free or Die Hard Being the fourth part of a series believed to die long ago, there was much skepticism over Live Free or Die Hard. Fans of the original were worried it would be a dry, tired, ridiculous, and a hopeful end to the series. The PG-13 rating didn
  25. VanessaR.
    Aug 12, 2007
    Best action movie I've seen in a long long time, some people may think that some of the action is a bit unrealistic but that's why we go and see it in the movies right? This movie has jam packed full of action from beginning to end, it was really exhilarating! Really loved it!
  26. DanishX.
    Aug 20, 2007
    masterful piece of action entertainment!Fast paced, funny, and excellent!very satisfying!,the best action blockbuster i have ever seen!full of action from beginning to end, it was really awesome! Really loved it!
  27. NickB.
    Aug 25, 2007
    Amazing action filled adrenaline rush movie!
  28. G-RadA.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Sweet intense action, hilarious side effects, and best of the Die Hard series.
  29. Carsonblah!
    Jun 27, 2007
    This movie was great! Very quick paced and keeps you interested. A must see.
  30. E.B.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I was in a theater packed with laughs and claps the whole way through. Live Free or Die Hard really was surprisingly GREAT!
  31. AC.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Great Action, leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the outrageous thrill ride.
  32. RB
    Jul 21, 2007
    If you don't mind ridiculously unrealistic action you will love this movie.
  33. Oct 19, 2010
    Bruce willis was the best person for the lead role inthis movie. if you want action this is the movie to see. the most action i have seen in a long time. i know i'm a little late for the review but still a must see.
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    John McClane has arrived in the 21. century and still knows the moves to kill all gangsters with a minium effort. The story: amazing, Brucie. stunning, the action: mindblowing. It's not a normal film and when the White House explodes on TV, there is no more tension to create. Best action film of the year!!!
  35. Feb 25, 2015
    O Terceiro melhor na minha opinião,na verdade é um empate com Duro De Matar 88,e Duro De Matar 3:A Vingança 95. Um clássico filme que mostra McClane no século 21,com alta temática de espionagem e foco no que a internet é capaz de fazer. Com cenas de tirar o fôlego,muita comédia e ininterruptas cenas de primeira linha de ação. Com super atuações de Bruce Willis,Mary Elizabeth Winstead eO Terceiro melhor na minha opinião,na verdade é um empate com Duro De Matar 88,e Duro De Matar 3:A Vingança 95. Um clássico filme que mostra McClane no século 21,com alta temática de espionagem e foco no que a internet é capaz de fazer. Com cenas de tirar o fôlego,muita comédia e ininterruptas cenas de primeira linha de ação. Com super atuações de Bruce Willis,Mary Elizabeth Winstead e Justin Long. Uma ótima e original sequência... Expand
  36. Sep 27, 2013
    Of the last three "Die Hard"s as of September 27, 2013, this one is definitely the best. It brings back why we fell in love with the first Die Hard,: jokes, explosions, and well-played out scenes. The storyline to this one is especially exceptional, as it feels very real (the third movies seemed like a stretch). If you like movies in general, you will like Live Free.
  37. JimW.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Held my interest from minute one. Action from start to finish. At this rate, this franchise can go on for many more.
  38. BillB
    Jul 9, 2007
    Yippee-Ki-Yay! this is a great movie. The stunts were so awesomely outrageous that they made me laugh.
  39. EvanA.
    Jul 1, 2007
    While it may not have been the best movie of all time. Most of the people going to see this move got exactly what they wanted. Another great Die Hard Movie. While the plot and character development suffer a little from the non-stop action, the movie excites
  40. RichH
    Jul 5, 2007
    Throughly entertaining. I wasn't expecting much going into the cinema but I enjoyed every moment. Recommended.
  41. RosemaryB.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I loved it. Of course, some of the action was unrealistic, inasmuch as I can't believe any human body could take some of the blows we see and keep on tickin, but at least it's not slick and computerized. Great humor, realism (yeah I know what I just said, so..all that notwithstanding), and plenty of cheer-out-loud moments.
  42. Isaac
    Jun 28, 2007
    Everything I wanted to see in an action movie. A must see on the big screen...Awesome!
  43. MarcusC.
    Jun 28, 2007
    Hilarious when not violent. At times ridiculously unrealistic but that's what, generally, movies are about.
  44. DebbieG
    Jun 29, 2007
    A perfect Die Hard movie. If you love those movies, a must see!
  45. AndreT.
    Jul 1, 2007
    For me the best was the third. But this one is extremely tight for an action movie. It is funny, the effects are amazing and of course, this is over the top in terms of unrealistic action. The story is quite technical because it revolved around computer terminology. But in my view it's a very good story for that type of movie. The actors are very convincing, even the new ones. A good For me the best was the third. But this one is extremely tight for an action movie. It is funny, the effects are amazing and of course, this is over the top in terms of unrealistic action. The story is quite technical because it revolved around computer terminology. But in my view it's a very good story for that type of movie. The actors are very convincing, even the new ones. A good entertainment and I hope there will be another one. Expand
  46. ArthurC
    Jul 2, 2007
    Wow! This is the one sequel other than Fantastic Four I had the least faith in being good. I was wrong. They certainly captured the energy and fun of the Die Hard series. It went above and beyond With a Vengence. John McClane still rocks. The only thing that kept it from being as good as the original was a pretty poorly conceived father/daughter subplot. Other than that, this may be the Wow! This is the one sequel other than Fantastic Four I had the least faith in being good. I was wrong. They certainly captured the energy and fun of the Die Hard series. It went above and beyond With a Vengence. John McClane still rocks. The only thing that kept it from being as good as the original was a pretty poorly conceived father/daughter subplot. Other than that, this may be the most fun movie of the summer so far. Expand
  47. WilliamB.
    Jul 2, 2007
    Fast paced, funny, and totally awesome. Bruce Willis still shines, just enjoy the show.
  48. JoeyK.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Another sequel to an old action series? Ridiculous trailers drenched in attempted patriotism? I was ready and expecting for this movie to fail in at least one aspect, but it didn't. Not in the least. Expect typical action film fare: ie one liners, fairly familiar story, ridiculous physical feats, etc. But all around, It's one of the best Action films in ages, which is the best Another sequel to an old action series? Ridiculous trailers drenched in attempted patriotism? I was ready and expecting for this movie to fail in at least one aspect, but it didn't. Not in the least. Expect typical action film fare: ie one liners, fairly familiar story, ridiculous physical feats, etc. But all around, It's one of the best Action films in ages, which is the best you can expect from Die Hard. Expand
  49. Fantasy
    Jul 4, 2007
    Bruce Willis, playing why of course, Bruce Willis puts this flick over the top with his macho movie star persona shining very brightly. The storyline is cartoonish but that doesn't mean that a good time will not be had by one and all. It's a very good popcorn action movie and Bruce appears to be having fun and letting the audience in on it. Go and enjoy.
  50. RayG
    Jul 5, 2007
    For an action movie its great its more than u expect, unbelievable stunts combined with McClain's old school fighting techniques,wow.Plus the whole idea is original , a hacker trying to take over the country with all his high tech equipment and fire power real nice .But They should have taken in consideration the kind of unrealistic scenes like when John took over the jet plane and For an action movie its great its more than u expect, unbelievable stunts combined with McClain's old school fighting techniques,wow.Plus the whole idea is original , a hacker trying to take over the country with all his high tech equipment and fire power real nice .But They should have taken in consideration the kind of unrealistic scenes like when John took over the jet plane and the truck ways of climbing the broken bridge, except that it was a delight!!! Expand
  51. KipM.
    Jul 5, 2007
    Slightly below "Die Hard with a Vengeance" but above "Die Harder" by a longshot.
  52. BenjaminB.
    Jul 6, 2007
    When you like the other "die hard"-movies, you will love this one.
  53. GarethC.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Brilliant entertainment. Possibly the best of the lot. If you're a Die Hard fan you will not be dissapointed. Bruce still enough to be convincing in the role, and the rest of the cast are also great. Not one to miss - see this on the big screen!
  54. benjy
    Nov 9, 2007
    Its not believable' so? It's a summer blockbuster and it's good fun to watch thats all that should really matter. People moan about these films but they really shouldn't. Sure he's a bit more of a super hero but he still gets half beaten to death he doesn't come out flying he comes out with a bullet in him. Thats not superman!
  55. EdwardC.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Saw this at the 1201 am 1st showing....Very well done, especially considering the pg-13 rating. Justin long does a remarkable job and the stunts are amazing.
  56. ColinG.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Movies like this are what downloader pirates to the theater. A good "Die Hard" movie can only be truly appreciated in a Big Screen setting. Check your cynicism at the door folks and have some fun. Easily the best DH since the first and I LOVED DH2. Forget mistakes like "Bandits" and Striking Distance." You can even forget his roles in "Pulp Fiction" and "Sixth Sense." Because Willis was Movies like this are what downloader pirates to the theater. A good "Die Hard" movie can only be truly appreciated in a Big Screen setting. Check your cynicism at the door folks and have some fun. Easily the best DH since the first and I LOVED DH2. Forget mistakes like "Bandits" and Striking Distance." You can even forget his roles in "Pulp Fiction" and "Sixth Sense." Because Willis was born to play the action hero and he's still the best. NO FOOLING. Expand
  57. JoeD.
    Jun 29, 2007
    If you went to this movie expecting anything better than a great action flick, you were kidding yourself. Based upon these expectations, I thought it was great!
  58. EmilyK.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Totally insane thrill ride all the way through. Just nearly from the get-go the action began, and between near-misses, laughs, oos and awes, this movie makes you leave the theater wanting more. Definitely a must see.
  59. IdaH.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Two hours of engaging escapism and thoroughly entertaining.
  60. BiffW
    Jul 17, 2007
    Excellent. Back to the classic action film we grew up with. Lives up to the original. For those who don't like it because the action stunts seem improbable - get real, that's what makes it fun. I suppose you also hate Superhero movies, because it's improbable. With that attitude you'd better just stick to documentaries.
  61. GatsbyJ.
    Aug 24, 2007
    -It's strange how the reviews for this movie are either very high or very low: there doesn't seem to be much of a middle to it. Now let's be serious, those who gave this movie a high score didn't rate it so because it was a deep and thoughtful movie: they just liked the action and the pacing, etc. Those who gave it a low score had their own reasons. -I went into the -It's strange how the reviews for this movie are either very high or very low: there doesn't seem to be much of a middle to it. Now let's be serious, those who gave this movie a high score didn't rate it so because it was a deep and thoughtful movie: they just liked the action and the pacing, etc. Those who gave it a low score had their own reasons. -I went into the theatre thinking it was going to be stupid to the max, but my friend wanted to go so I agreed. I even made fun of the when I saw the commercials, like the absurd title. But both my friend and I thought the movie was awesome. The action sequences (which everyone went to see this movie for, I'm sure, and not for any semblance of plot) were as amazing as they were relentless. I wasn't bored for a single second, and this is coming from someone who expects every movie he sees to have a plot. Yeah, MOST of the plot was totally nonsensical, from the super-hackers to the saving the world in less than 24 hours, and the action scenes were ridiculous, but for some reason I was entertained. I've seen a lot of movies this summer and this was definitely one of the best experiences I had: it was so loud that the music and explosions drowned out the voices of those annoying audience members who like to shout when they see anything interesting on screen. Expand
  62. MatthewW.
    Nov 25, 2007
    Die Hard prevails (again) with it's heart pumping action scenes with a taste of comedy, Bruce Willis is perfect in (almost) every way.
  63. AndrewT
    Jun 27, 2007
    This movie, while a bit over the top, definitely kept the die hard series on track. It was easily the 2nd best movie in the series, and Bruce Willis was awesome in it!
  64. James
    Jul 16, 2007
    Surprisingly this movie was very entertaining. The Action scenes weren't as over the top as i thought they would be. I give it a 9 mostly because i came into this movie with low expectations.
  65. Nov 5, 2014
    Okay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the wholeOkay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the whole system...right? Wrong. The good old hard hitting cop, John McClane is obviously aged but no less fierce and heroic. It was a bold far-fetched plot but maybe not too far fetched. McClane had to commission a nerd to help him which proved a great move considering their dialogue and character differences. Then you throw in the Taken angle where McClane is trying to repair his relationship with his daughter, and this is just an awesome movie. Sure the stakes are as high as they get and so are the stunts, but even when he went up against pretty impossible odds i didn't think anything stepped too far out of bounds considering what happens in other action movies. Bruce Willis played within himself. They brought in a few attractive women. They made sure the bad guys were plain bad guys. This got a higher score because it proved it could remain a rock solid action film even when they downplayed the blood and foul language comparative to the others. Well done. Worth a watch. Expand
  66. PaulK.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Bruce Willis once again as John McClane is a steamroller crushing everything in his path. He flattens Maggie Q and an assortment of hot, french speaking henchmen. The cooler cell scene w/ the awesome parkour sequences are worth the price of admission alone. If you're looking for action, this should serve as a good primer for Transformers...
  67. Ashleigh
    Jul 1, 2007
    Great action movie. A couple "only in the movies" stunts, but overall very entertaining. Timothy Olyphant and Justin Long are fantastic!
  68. Jan
    Jun 30, 2007
    Basically just what i expected. Still a lot of fun to watch Bruce, some real good action scenes, some laughs, Kevin Smith, not much more to say. Just a few more jokes from Bruce himself would have been nice. 8 out of 10 from me
  69. equality7-2521
    Jul 1, 2007
    Loved it. The title alone is worth the price of admission. The only part that really pushed my ability to suspend disbelief is McClane vs the F-35 jet. At that point, it ventured into Woody Woodpecker territory. Still, the apocalyptic premise of a "fire sale" is awesome (and really scary). Other details, such as the Warlock character played by Kevin Smith are too cool as well. Fun. Highly Loved it. The title alone is worth the price of admission. The only part that really pushed my ability to suspend disbelief is McClane vs the F-35 jet. At that point, it ventured into Woody Woodpecker territory. Still, the apocalyptic premise of a "fire sale" is awesome (and really scary). Other details, such as the Warlock character played by Kevin Smith are too cool as well. Fun. Highly recommended. I'll watch it again next week, probably at the Graumann's Chinese. see you there. Collapse
  70. JoeT.
    Jul 8, 2007
    The movie (and it knows it's a 'movie', not a 'film') has a premise, some likable good guys, some appealing-evil bad guys, and a few reasons for blowing things up real gooood. No awkward attempts at character development, metaphor, thematic depths, i.e everything that (I hear) bogs down all this summer's 'Three-quels'. Just don't expect the The movie (and it knows it's a 'movie', not a 'film') has a premise, some likable good guys, some appealing-evil bad guys, and a few reasons for blowing things up real gooood. No awkward attempts at character development, metaphor, thematic depths, i.e everything that (I hear) bogs down all this summer's 'Three-quels'. Just don't expect the movie to stay with you afterwards. Expand
  71. GregT.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Exactly what you think it is... and extremely well done. Better than the first? Of course not. But satisfying nonetheless.
  72. EG.
    Jul 10, 2007
    It's a pretty good movie but as everyone else has pointed out, you definitely need to suspend your disbelief in most of it. Still, the "hacking" was done pretty well compared to what I'm used to seeing in movies like Swordfish. The only scene that really really got to me was the truck vs. freeway vs F-35 Lightning II in the middle of Baltimore scene... that was definitely It's a pretty good movie but as everyone else has pointed out, you definitely need to suspend your disbelief in most of it. Still, the "hacking" was done pretty well compared to what I'm used to seeing in movies like Swordfish. The only scene that really really got to me was the truck vs. freeway vs F-35 Lightning II in the middle of Baltimore scene... that was definitely ridiculous but it was well produced and highly highly entertaining. What else do you expect from a Die Hard movie? It all comes down to John McClane kicking some serious ass. Expand
  73. J.R.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Good stuff, but the PG-13 rating does take away from some of the McClane-isims. Other than that, visually awesome, great action sequences, and plenty of cool baddy deaths. I hope they make a 5th film and I hope it is R. It is just weird not to see the blood splatters reminicent of the original trilogy. Like in DH when John is crawling under the table, Takagi's brains, and of course Good stuff, but the PG-13 rating does take away from some of the McClane-isims. Other than that, visually awesome, great action sequences, and plenty of cool baddy deaths. I hope they make a 5th film and I hope it is R. It is just weird not to see the blood splatters reminicent of the original trilogy. Like in DH when John is crawling under the table, Takagi's brains, and of course DH2 has some of the most bloody deaths ie: Robert Patrick through the vent grate, and In DH3 we have the elevator splatter. Anyway, I could talk about men's fashion and industrialization all day but I'm afraid work must intrude. Go see this film., and hope they make another two! Expand
  74. CathyF.
    Jun 27, 2007
    It was refreshing to see an old fashioned action movie. CGI has taken over most of our movies, so this was a nice change of pace. His character's dialogue was a little subdued due to the PG-13 rating, but he can still kick a**!!!!
  75. TBagger
    Jun 27, 2007
    Much to my surprise, it was good - self aware, great stunts, nothing too ridiculous for DieHard. Willis, Long (the Mac guy) and Oliphant as the bad guy all deliver very good performances. Not only did it exceed expectations, it was good.
  76. BenjaminT.
    Jun 29, 2007
    As long as you forget all about actual feasability, this movie is a lot of fun!
  77. RienyeN
    Jul 23, 2007
    It was a good movie..maybe a little long but non-stop action all the way. The one criticism i have is the scene in the tunnel..it was a little TOO convenient the way he could drive the car through all the carnage..it was a wide open road. But all in all, an awesome movie. Better than Die Hard With A Vengance, i reckon!
  78. RoyM
    Jul 8, 2007
    Highly entertaining. It's a given you need to suspend belief watching Die Hard, but there were a few situations that were ridiculous: like the 100 lb woman who was the toughest fighter of all; like the jet shooting a missile and taking down an entire freeway; and like the van conveniently stopping right next to the jet crash. If they would not have stretched so far for these Highly entertaining. It's a given you need to suspend belief watching Die Hard, but there were a few situations that were ridiculous: like the 100 lb woman who was the toughest fighter of all; like the jet shooting a missile and taking down an entire freeway; and like the van conveniently stopping right next to the jet crash. If they would not have stretched so far for these situations, I would have given it a 10! Expand
  79. BenB.
    Aug 13, 2007
    I went to it with low hopes (due to the PG-13 rating - I mean, come on: a Die Hard PG-13 style). To my surprise, I loved it. Sure, Bruce Willis loses something when he can't swear as repeatedly as in the first movie, but the action is top-notch fun (if completely unbelievable) and the whole movie is the best popcorn flick of the summer. Maybe the best besides the first. However, with I went to it with low hopes (due to the PG-13 rating - I mean, come on: a Die Hard PG-13 style). To my surprise, I loved it. Sure, Bruce Willis loses something when he can't swear as repeatedly as in the first movie, but the action is top-notch fun (if completely unbelievable) and the whole movie is the best popcorn flick of the summer. Maybe the best besides the first. However, with all the brutal action and cursing, the MPAA screwed up big-time (again!) with the ratings - this is a gritty PG-13 film. I thought it deserved an R. Expand
  80. RamzeezeB.
    Aug 20, 2007
    The story about an identity confused girl, the mac guy and Mr. clean turned out pretty good and i highly recommend it.
  81. Xocrates
    Mar 24, 2008
    I haven't laugh so hard for a long time. The action is ludicrious, the plot has every cliché in the book, but hey, Live free or die hard is not a good movie, and it does not pretend to be, what it is is a lot of good fun.
  82. PaulOOOOOO
    Jun 27, 2007
    Action packed Die Hard... it was great! Just a lot of fun. Nothing award winning worthy, but just a great summer movie. Dont wait till this is on video, go see it in the air-conditioned theaters!
  83. theLex
    Jun 28, 2007
    I would have to say this is the best Die Hard since the first movie. That said, it still lacked a few things, but this is me just nit-picking, but it seemed great on the violence, but one word was missing a lot form this film: the work f@#k. Mcclaine swears a lot in the old movies and it felt like he was neutered in this. Only reason I didn't give it a higher score. Still, he had his I would have to say this is the best Die Hard since the first movie. That said, it still lacked a few things, but this is me just nit-picking, but it seemed great on the violence, but one word was missing a lot form this film: the work f@#k. Mcclaine swears a lot in the old movies and it felt like he was neutered in this. Only reason I didn't give it a higher score. Still, he had his moments like when he talked trash to the bad guy, purely awesome... Expand
  84. May 6, 2013
    Don't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like ThomasDon't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant) and of course John McLane (Bruce Willis) really make the movie intense. Thomas Gabriel is a very unique terrorist for John to take on. With Olyphant's dark complexity for Gabriel, he really gives us a memorable Die Hard villain. And John McLane is still bad-a** in this PG-13 setting. Speaking of PG-13, it's absurd to have a Die Hard film to be PG-13. I know people got upset with the PG-13 rating (and frankly so did I). But really if you think about it, your basically watching a clean version of Die Hard. Also, if you're going to watch this movie, I recommend the unrated version. It really brings back it's Die Hardness. Overall, even with its PG-13 rating, the movie still kicks a**. Expand
  85. Mar 26, 2013
    I liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that areI liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that are be folding around him. The only way he is keeping up with the main villain in this picture is by picking up a suspect/witness hacker that is very technologically savvy. In the end it takes the combined efforts of both the hacker and an old fashion Cop to save the day in this HD film. Congratulations to Len Wiseman for keeping John Mclane's Character consistent in all four movies. In conclusion keeping John's Character oblivious to what was going on and adding a sub heroin of the digital age to the mix helped this movie reach its full potential. Expand
  86. Nov 12, 2014
    This movie is typical 1990's Diehard with a 2007 twist. I love the unrated version. It has tons of action and the things we love the Diehard series for.

Acting: 8/10
    Plot: 9/10
    Themes: 7/10
    Script: 8/10
    Length: 8/10
  87. Dec 15, 2014
    This movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hardThis movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hard to hold up to the original, but this does a nice job at coming close.
    CONS:
    -Making a usually very cleaver John McClain seem overly dumb when it comes to technology of any kind
    -The lack of blood and language (in the PG-13 version)
    -Can move very slow at times and seems very drawn out by the end

PROS:
    -Classic 'Die Hard' fun
    -Great actions scenes that never seem too over the top (except for the part with the jet)
    -A good mix of classic action and modern tech
    -Mary Elizabeth Winstead... always nice to look at
  88. Mar 31, 2015
    The action here was excellent. Though often hardly believable, it's no Michael Bay crap (it'd need another 20 minutes of throwaway of filler for that). You actually care about the characters and can't help but be entertained by such dynamic scenes.
  89. JasonE.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Some guys have all the luck?! Is there any other explanation possible considering B W is both sexier bald and the only human who can outgun a F-16 fighter jet without an automatic audience chortle? Intelligently, the film never allows any mental deliberation even remotely enter our brains...it's slam bam from the opening minute. This is mass produced schlocky lunkhead entertainment Some guys have all the luck?! Is there any other explanation possible considering B W is both sexier bald and the only human who can outgun a F-16 fighter jet without an automatic audience chortle? Intelligently, the film never allows any mental deliberation even remotely enter our brains...it's slam bam from the opening minute. This is mass produced schlocky lunkhead entertainment overwhelmingly geared for those who prefer their movies in through the eyes and out through touche. But director Wiseman intelligently avoids the audience any mental skepticism by always plunging forward with the consequences increasingly growing ever more dire. It really is a throwback action flick without the pervading sense of irony and irreverence which strangles other like-minded fare. Even that blowhard Kevin Smith subverts his enlightened schlump persona to only serve the mechanics. The MAC commericals have given JL some brain credibility allowing the writers to not feel compelled to give McClaine both a mind and rock-solid bod. Move over fantastical 20-something comic book super heroes and welcome 50 back 50 plus Bruce Willis as the summer's #1 action star. Expand
  90. JoeB.
    Jun 29, 2007
    A decent action movie. Not great. The charisma of McClane is lacking compared to previous movies. The movie is not slow. It keeps moving! I give it a seven. (The Rock is a great action movie)
  91. BrutusO.
    Aug 14, 2007
    The action was a little spoiled by the absurdity factor, and the Dad/daughter plotline creaks like a door on a pirate ship. And the geek sub-culture thing with Kevin Smith etc was too cheesy for words (Hey geek! Can you patch me into the totally secure FBI HQ comms system despite the power grid being out and the world collapsing? Oh sure, no problem, O mighty bleeding one! Give me 10 The action was a little spoiled by the absurdity factor, and the Dad/daughter plotline creaks like a door on a pirate ship. And the geek sub-culture thing with Kevin Smith etc was too cheesy for words (Hey geek! Can you patch me into the totally secure FBI HQ comms system despite the power grid being out and the world collapsing? Oh sure, no problem, O mighty bleeding one! Give me 10 secs). But the action was reasonable, even though McClane should have been dead and broken in the first 15 minutes, ie the first time he fell several stories onto iron bars and concrete. The fight with Maggie Q was sufficiently brutal to hold the attention however, and the villain was almost ruthless enough to be interesting. Although the usual problem emerged - why did he not just kill Bruce et all when he could have? However, the humour was OK, and the hysteria when people find they are not able to rely on the "system" was rather droll. But a basically entertaining movie, which was the objective, after all. It certainly moves, like a movie should. This film is not a good advertisement for the quality of American flyover construction though. Talk about a house of cards. Stick to the dirt tracks people! Expand
  92. ChrisE
    Jun 28, 2007
    Great buddy flick, some of the action is so out there, they wouldn't put it in a video game (HA!) Bruce is Bruce, having a good ol' time...it's a little too long and some of the witty banter needed a few of those punches that McClain was giving out with gusto but I really couldn't complain about that, but it does bring up two of the major issues that I had with thisGreat buddy flick, some of the action is so out there, they wouldn't put it in a video game (HA!) Bruce is Bruce, having a good ol' time...it's a little too long and some of the witty banter needed a few of those punches that McClain was giving out with gusto but I really couldn't complain about that, but it does bring up two of the major issues that I had with this flick. ...not a good movie to show examples on how to treat a lady...there were three women that got more than a minute of screen time and two of them get smack around by men (im sorry...did I mention how McClain jacked the "Asian" chick up?) and the one lady who didn't get beat down was nothing more than a diversity backdrop...she was in the room with the big boys but was nothing more than a live prop. Susan B. Anthony would be so proud. the other thing? that was the most questionable PG-13 I've seen in a while.... Expand
  93. maria
    Jul 10, 2007
    It was okay. kinda mad about it not being rated R but, for what it was, it was a die hard movie. big stunts, smart ass remarks, over the top senerio- it was just that of a 7.
  94. TonyL
    Jul 17, 2007
    As some reviewers have already mentioned, the action scenes are too implausible. Maggie Q makes quite an impression. I hope to see more of her. The hacker sidekick was necessary for the plot, but I could have done without him. But for the price of a matinee, It still is a good ride.
  95. DF
    Jul 31, 2007
    Old school action combined with 21st century terror = a delicious combination of absurd action and over the top humor.
  96. MartinS.
    Jul 9, 2007
    Personally I've always found the Die Hard francise a symbol of all that's wrong with American Movie making but I'd be lying if I said that this one wasn't entertaining. There's enough action in this one to keep your mind off of the plot.
  97. GregA.
    Aug 11, 2007
    This is an action film, nothing more and nothing less. Everything that happens is total BS but what you end up with is a fast paced enjoyable film which remains true to its predecessors.
  98. Oct 27, 2010
    a decent fourth film to the die hard franchise . bruce willis for the most part was on target as john maclaine amd justin long did a pretty decent job as his side kick . the film's PG rating kinda held it back i felt . felt it coulda been pushed abit further . but its a fun ride while it lasts.
  99. Sep 3, 2013
    Although not on a par with the best in the franchise, Live Free or Die Hard is a fun outing for John McClane. There are some problems, most notably a stilted finale and some ridiculous CGI involving a truck and a jet, but overall this gives you a good shot of old-school meathead action.
  100. Sep 18, 2011
    "Live Free of Die Hard" is strong and crazy with impressive CGI and the good guy-bad guy dialogue. It is one hell of a roller coaster ride.

1. It's simply old-school stunts and movie magic.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The sheer quantity of often outrageous stunts should help overcome franchise mustiness to entertain.
  3. Reviewed by: Jessica Reaves
    Early in LFODH, a villain taunts our hero, calling him "a Timex in a digital world"; McClane, characteristically, takes the dig as a compliment. Two hours, countless butt-kickings and hairbreadth escapes later, we know why.