8.6

1. Nov 4, 2012
    Mad bad and highly entertaining, I really enjoyed this film. I particularly liked the fact that when things got particularly violent the camera wasn
  2. Jul 23, 2011
    Critics score is 66??? WTF
    This is an amazing movie. Some funny moments in it, and entertaining from start to finish and plenty of memorable lines.
    In my opinion (i think im not alone here) the best British movie ever made. Deserves all the praise it gets.
  3. Sep 7, 2012
    Pros: Funny, clever, action packed.

Cons: Too British, predictable, nasty language I say Get it, and if you get it, you'll get it. As a disclaimer, I should point out this movie is not for everyone, it has a pile of nasty language, a small amount of gratuitous nudity, and a bit (although not to graphic) of violence. Also, if you don't like Monty Python or movies like Pulp Fiction,
    Pros: Funny, clever, action packed.

Cons: Too British, predictable, nasty language

I say Get it, and if you get it, you'll get it. As a disclaimer, I should point out this movie is not for everyone, it has a pile of nasty language, a small amount of gratuitous nudity, and a bit (although not to graphic) of violence. Also, if you don't like Monty Python or movies like Pulp Fiction, you won't like this movie. However, if you pass those litmus tests, you are in for a great ride. The story of how poor communication and crime leads to the downfall of virtually everyone, this clever action comedy has a great story, some great one liners, and characterization that deserves high accolades. Although at the end of the movie you get the point and it is a bit predictable, there is always another surprise waiting for you, and even guessing the plot outcomes is part of the fun. Putting all the pieces together gives one as much enjoyment as watching them unfold (usually with a twist) in this film. Definitely worth a rent, check it out.

(NOTE: This review was originally written on Oct 12 '99)
  4. Aug 14, 2011
    The plot is complex yet understandable and enjoyable. The comedy is pretty good. Their English accents are not good but it doesn't get in the way of the film that much, cause it's a comedy you can't take it too seriously.
  5. Jul 27, 2013
    The film that launched Madonna's one time husband Guy Ritchie to the masses is a triumph of the East End gangster culture laced with a heavy dose of humour and inept characters. One long Mexican stand off in the making with a sharp script full of memorable lines, 'it's been emotional', it's easy to imagine Lock Stock as a film Tarantino would be proud of.

The opening scene belongs to

The opening scene belongs to Jason Statham, in his first film, playing a dodgy dealer in a role different to the action tough guys he would go on to trademark, as he wheels and deals fenced items with a slang heavy script, 'it's a deal, it's a steal'. Ritchie does a good job of gradually introducing the film's characters as the layers of the story develop through narration and hearsay and the characters, from drug kingpin Rory Breaker to Rob Brydon's traffic warden, score the film major plus points.

Lock Stock also boasts a brilliant soundtrack of contemporary British music, Ocean Colour Scene, The Stone Roses and some classic songs, Zorba the Greek, that are well used in the film.
  6. Apr 22, 2013
    I watched this film for the first time over the weekend and thought it was brilliant. I thought it was cleverly done and was hooked from the start. Why I hadn't seen it before I don't know. I am not planning to book a locations tour from here: http://www.britmovietours.com/bookings/lock-stock-and-two-smoking-barrels-locations-tour and also watch some more of Guys Richie's movies!
  7. Dec 3, 2013
    This is about as good a movie about the East End that you can get. Not sure Americans can get the layers and implications, however, stating fact, Americans cannot make movies like this. Beneath every grimace, scowl or threatening words, there's history and culture and classes. The toffs as opposed to the yardies and the locals make this a treasure. Even though all Brits understand eachThis is about as good a movie about the East End that you can get. Not sure Americans can get the layers and implications, however, stating fact, Americans cannot make movies like this. Beneath every grimace, scowl or threatening words, there's history and culture and classes. The toffs as opposed to the yardies and the locals make this a treasure. Even though all Brits understand each other, language is only half the picture. Our verbals tell us within a few sentences almost everything about that person. Education, social class, status etc. Our villains are true villains. Well hard! Blokes who'll put it about with their fists and character. The multi layers of any interaction actually mean, unless you are from the UK, you get only 50% of the communication. We are connected in such a way that the Queen's beans on toast would be the same as the lad from Peckham. Prince Phillip is excluded since he is as unBrit as Madge, (Madonna). We actually live and die together as a nation, as one. We really know each other!
    This movie weaves East End culture like a Terry McCann, Arfur Daley episode. Essentially it's a gem!
    Something that reflects everything British, not the PBS codswallop, Americans are enamored with.
    It makes one almost sad that everyone except a Brit is able to understand the complexity and wonder that this movie is. That beautiful language that is evident, took centuries. The slang and violence doesn't convey except to a non Brit, just how gentle and patient the people are. Eg. and this isn't racist, simply trying to convey the beauty that is Britain. Black players are revered in Milwall.
    The language used here is probably baffling to non Brits, which is exactly the effect intended. Unless you know specifically what you are talking about Critics, you only demonstrate ignorance and how daft you really are.
  8. chw
    Sep 24, 2014
    The movie was not what I expected at all, but in this case, and this case only, it turned out to be better because of it. I'd see it again, buy it, and see it about 27 more times.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    A half-funny, half-ugly comedy about underworld ineptitude. [5 Mar 1999]
  2. The best one can say is that it's a smart cartoon, and a fairly exhausting viewing experience.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Though Ritchie’s screenplay scores a 10 for sheer complexity and cleverness, it rates much lower down the scale for comprehensibility and audience involvement.