ARP Sélection | Release Date: August 18, 2017
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 273 Ratings
Watch Now
FedorkoNov 14, 2017
One of those fun movies that's smarter than you'd expect. Daniel Craig was really fun. But I walked away forgetting about it, except for the fact that it was clever. It set out what it was intending to accomplish, which was to entertain, butOne of those fun movies that's smarter than you'd expect. Daniel Craig was really fun. But I walked away forgetting about it, except for the fact that it was clever. It set out what it was intending to accomplish, which was to entertain, but I think a movie should be making you think about something after you walk out. This movie did not do that. Expand
IttiacesSep 15, 2017
Being a long time fan of Steven Soderbergh, I just assumed I would enjoy this movie. However, I found it slightly disappointing. The cast is impressive, and Daniel Craig stood out with a charismatic performance. Most of the story made senseBeing a long time fan of Steven Soderbergh, I just assumed I would enjoy this movie. However, I found it slightly disappointing. The cast is impressive, and Daniel Craig stood out with a charismatic performance. Most of the story made sense although there were elements of the ridiculous about it at times. All in all, it's an ok film that's well made as you would expect from the director. For me, it just wasn't particularly exciting or intriguing. Expand
TrevorsViewAug 18, 2017
The ultimate verdict: Logan Lucky achieves both everything and nothing you expect out of a modernized crime/comedy/western.

The story here focuses on Jimmy Logan, a recently divorced construction worker laid off due to his fractured leg. He enlightens his spirits, as well as our own, from his father-daughter bond right in the first frame as he repairs his car, when he tells her a story about his favorite country song. I admit these sweet moments were severely underdone, but not nearly as much as the activity of his gorgeous ex-wife, who creates zero memorability besides wearing a see-through top over a pink bra in front of her eight-year-old daughter. Matters instead revolve more about the men in the community, particularly the somewhat meaningful bond between Jimmy and his brother, a one-armed Iraqi veteran who can mix a martini one-handed.

Yet everything else about this part of the United States falls into stereotypes about the culture, right down to two rednecks competing in a toilet seat ring toss. Those two guys end up being probably the most memorable characters who create the most potential comedy; now I say potential because the “comedy” here just lazily paints authoritative figures as gullible doofuses, especially by the third act when it turns into an unresolved “Crime Scene Investigation” plot from the FBI’s perspective.

Despite the goal toward a crime/comedy, the gags’ staging missed their mark entirely—the timing of the editing never played against the audience’s expectations.

At least they do go a bit into intriguing detail about the robbery’s execution, down to a step-by-step process posted onto the refrigerator. It shows these fun little bits which make you think, “What on earth do they plan to do with those cockroaches coated in nail polish?” Then later you think, “Oh! Ha! Clever!” The details enlighten your attention, like how the number of times a plastic bag is twisted shut matters in making the contents explode.

Although the culture’s creation here does seem a smidgen off. I hadn’t lived there longer than three months, yet I know for certain that African Americans thrive elsewhere beyond the prisons. The fact that one of those crooks, played with a convincing accent by James Bond actor Daniel Craig, escapes jail to help others commit their robbery draws one common conclusion: the US’s most vibrant criminal culture thrives in the Southeast. While true in some regards, we deserve to see some light down there too.

Yes, the worldbuilding basically just got the job done well enough. The same goes to the acting—the best they achieve from their effort is simply sustaining your attention. Yet the smaller performances are really the more effective ones, as Hilary Swank (Boys Don’t Cry, Million Dollar Baby) made the most out of her small part, playing an investigator with her expected authoritative enthusiasm. The director, Steven Soderbergh, (Erin Brockovich, Traffic) proved his strength at casting seventeen years after beating himself at the Oscars, you see each well-known actor only as the character they portray. However, the way Soderbergh organizes the moments of his story is distractingly wrong.

Soderbergh displays lots of detailed love for the East Coast’s racing culture, such as a fiery feud between a rude racer who insults the two disabled leads. It feels truer to the culture than what the financially successful Cars franchise attempted. But I think Soderbergh misunderstands something important: very few people, particularly outside the East Coast, care as much about NASCAR as he does, a distraction at best in the way he flaunts the commercialism.

The bits at the car race, in particular, abuse too many lingering shots on the fans and bumper stickers, like one big NASCAR commercial. They even blare the name of “Fox News” when showing the game’s commentators.

You could honestly tell this was screenwriter Rebecca Blunt’s first ever writing credit, no craft goes into sending out any kind of motivation to anyone besides the two brothers to achieve anything, which hurts the film all the more, particularly with its unresolved established family commitment. Nobody learns anything, they all just exist as catalysts towards material gain.

Even if you lived in the southeast, you will most possibly forget the name Logan Lucky the next day. You’d be better off watching a car race live or watching CSI Miami, both a far more rewarding social experience.
istanbulAug 25, 2017
a taste of the south, bot not enough flavor. the movie drags on even after it has nothing new to say. i m not sure what hillary swank, katie holmes and the rest of the great supporting cast is doing in this movie. even the adorable, charminga taste of the south, bot not enough flavor. the movie drags on even after it has nothing new to say. i m not sure what hillary swank, katie holmes and the rest of the great supporting cast is doing in this movie. even the adorable, charming Farah mackenzie is nothing more than a weak plot device. daniel craig is a miscast yet watchable nonetheless. Expand
GreatMartinAug 25, 2017
Is it me? Have I seen too many movies, including all the classics, since I started going to the movies, at least once a week, for 75 years? Yes, I am old and I do use the closed caption hearing when watching television though my NET doctorIs it me? Have I seen too many movies, including all the classics, since I started going to the movies, at least once a week, for 75 years? Yes, I am old and I do use the closed caption hearing when watching television though my NET doctor says all is okay. I have no problem when talking with people but I have problems understanding movie talk, especially when they use accents.
Having had a rough 5 days with sick friend I wanted to go see something light, funny and, possibly, a no brainer. I really enjoy Channing Tatum in movies and I have also enjoyed Steven Soderbergh’s “Ocean’s 11, 12, 13” and their collaboration with “Magic Mike” plus I was somewhat intrigued by “Introducing Daniel Craig as Joe Bang” so I decided to go see “Logan Lucky”.
“Logan Lucky” is a redneck, Southern heist film along the lines of the Ocean films. Along with Tatum and Craig other members of the cast are: Adam Driver, Seth MacFarlane, Katie Holmes, Katherine Waterston, Farrah MacKenzie, Hillary Swank to name a few. The screenplay was by Rebecca Blunt along with some excellent photography by Peter Andrews. Though it takes place in West Virginia most of it was photographed in Georgia.
“Logan Lucky” is the second picture I have seen this past week, the other being “Wind River”, which were pretty much given high marks and I don’t understand why. I read most of the Rotten Tomatoes reviews and still shrug my shoulders.
I don’t/won’t recommend “Logan Lucky”.
I still don’t get the “Introducing Daniel Craig” unless it is to introduce him as a very funny guy and the opposite of James Bond but that’s stretching it.
TheWaffleSep 6, 2017
A fun premise, but the film rarely takes full advantage of it. A roadside bar in West Virginia seems like a good place to find some interesting characters, but we never get to see any. A Nascar race seems like a perfect location for some funA fun premise, but the film rarely takes full advantage of it. A roadside bar in West Virginia seems like a good place to find some interesting characters, but we never get to see any. A Nascar race seems like a perfect location for some fun heist hijinks, but instead we just get some cashiers and a few security guards. The main character's motivation is pretty weak: laid off for some uninteresting reason, not really struggling for money (his daughter seems well cared for), and he's not motivated by revenge. We meet a few characters that seem to hold promise, but they ultimately disappoint, and the film decides that there's just going to be one scene where we bring out everyone's quirks, then those quirks are absent from the rest of the film. A cursed high school quarterback, an Iraq War vet, two morally dubious religious converts, and an eccentric bomber sounds like a great setup with plenty of ways they could play against one another. But few of the fun scenes that you'd imagine ever materialize, and the long/uninspired editing doesn't do the film any favors. The film also has an awkwardly long epilogue, which is one of the few times that I've thought that a montage would have improved a film (rather than awkwardly lingering on characters for 20 unneeded minutes). There are a few genuinely good laughs and the heist is solid, but this ultimately feels like a film that needed a few more drafts of the script and a much more quirky editor. Expand
Rebecca31Aug 26, 2017
So imagine Ocean’s Eleven but instead of a casino it’s a NASCAR race and instead of George Clooney and company in their designer sunglasses and slick suits you’ve got Channing Tatum and his group of rednecks. Throw in Daniel Craig with bleachSo imagine Ocean’s Eleven but instead of a casino it’s a NASCAR race and instead of George Clooney and company in their designer sunglasses and slick suits you’ve got Channing Tatum and his group of rednecks. Throw in Daniel Craig with bleach blonde hair for good measure and you’ve got Logan Lucky. A heist movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s mad, it’s funny and highly entertaining. No it isn’t the best heist movie you’ll ever watch, it’s overly long and adds too much backstory that drags the plot in unnecessary places. Oh great another scene with Tatum and his daughter simply there to highlight his money problems but he loves his daughter so it’s ok for him to pull off this heist because deep down he’s a good person. You know just in case you didn’t pick up on that the first time. We know it’s a heist movie so just get on with it. And don’t ask me how they did it but the end was both rushed and dragged out all at the same time. For me Daniel Craig stole the show but the whole cast worked very well together. Recommended. Expand
mollymcbutterAug 25, 2017
I didn't dislike this movie; it had its moments. It just dragged quite a bit and was not that funny. Maybe if it wasn't billed as a comedy I would have liked it better? I feel a little misled by the critics on this one.
Brent_MarchantAug 27, 2017
A modestly entertaining comic crime caper that has its moments but never quite lives up to its full comedic potential, despite a solid cast that delivers a series of strong performances. The film admittedly delivers some good laughs, butA modestly entertaining comic crime caper that has its moments but never quite lives up to its full comedic potential, despite a solid cast that delivers a series of strong performances. The film admittedly delivers some good laughs, but they're too few and far between given the rich untapped veins of material available in the subject matter. It's an inoffensive offering for home viewing on a Saturday night when you don't have any other plans, but don't go out of your way to catch this one. Expand
moviecritic68Aug 23, 2017
Not going to be an Oscar nomination but just a good old fun movie. Quite the imaginative written screenplay. Go with low expectations and let it provide you with clean fun & entertainment
yosemiteAug 30, 2017
The proper rating is a 4 but I gave a 5 because it was light hearted and tried to be a good film. Its not. Whats wrong with it ? Its a Coen Brothers wannabe . They can pull it off;others can't. Daniel Craig is mis cast. The women are good butThe proper rating is a 4 but I gave a 5 because it was light hearted and tried to be a good film. Its not. Whats wrong with it ? Its a Coen Brothers wannabe . They can pull it off;others can't. Daniel Craig is mis cast. The women are good but don't get much screen time. The southern accents are so thick, its sometimes difficult to hear every word. Finally too many moving parts to the heist. Its strains credibility that everything planned worked exactly as such. Whats good about the movie ? Cast was pretty good, the concept of rednecks planning a heist is original and some scenes were good. Hard to pull everything together. It tried to be entertaining and a few times, it was. Its not the worst movie you will see this year but no harm if you miss it either. Expand
donelsonAug 26, 2017
Just saw this new Soderbergh movie.

Just saw this new Soderbergh movie.

It's very complex, but honestly it's poorly directed: Confused, overly complex, dull even in its complexity. There is no sense of the pieces of the heist "coming together", driving the excitement and anticipation. It's just noir-by-the-numbers. Too bad.
DotTheEyesAug 19, 2017
A bit of a disappointment, unfortunately. A Steven Soderbergh-directed, Ocean's-style caper comedy transplanted to a blue-collar milieu in West Virginia and North Carolina, it is a film of fitful amusement and invention, but it is never asA bit of a disappointment, unfortunately. A Steven Soderbergh-directed, Ocean's-style caper comedy transplanted to a blue-collar milieu in West Virginia and North Carolina, it is a film of fitful amusement and invention, but it is never as consistently fun as it clearly aims to be. The film does have one enormous asset, though: a delightful performance by a cast-against-type Daniel Craig. He plays a taciturn, tattooed, Southern-accented pyromaniac and thief named Joe Bang. Craig venturing beyond the suave, tough James Bond archetype is not exactly a revelation (consider, for example, his turn as murderer and In Cold Blood subject Perry Edward Smith in Infamous), but it is clear he relishes this absurd antihero, and his enjoyment becomes ours. The rest of the cast, including Adam Driver and Channing Tatum as unexpectedly convincing brothers, is mostly fine, though none of their roles are nearly as compelling as Craig's. Riley Keough, for instance, is sexy and spry as a Daisy Duke-style hairdresser sidekick, but the role never blossoms beyond the functional and ornamental. There are two members of the ensemble I would gladly cut, however: Seth MacFarlane, just bizarrely and uncomfortably miscast as a narcissistic British racing sponsor, and Hilary Swank, whose late-in-the-game appearance signals when the film seriously starts to feel overlong and out of fuel.

Behind the camera, Soderbergh acquits himself decently on a scene-by-scene basis, shooting the action (much of it set in an industrial labyrinth beneath a speedway) with characteristic clarity and efficiency. On a broader level, though, the film slips away from him to a degree. His attempts to infuse the story with heart and soul—the West Virginia locals' economic anxiety, one principal character's doting relationship with his daughter—are rather limp, and the film becomes a noticeably long sit during its third act. Said third act includes one of those montages in which the events of the heist play out again from another perspective, showing us who was misdirecting whom and what transpired in place B while we were focused on place A. Sadly, this registers more as convoluted and labored than a-ha! surprising or playful.
wingnutzAug 20, 2017
Way overrated by critics given to Soderbergh bias. Has some very poignant acting & funny moments. But drags too many times and for too long. Tatum & Driver again impress, but Craig breaks out of Bond mold in a big,funny way.
EludiumQ36Dec 23, 2017
First quarter of it was wasted with southern redneck exposition. Second quarter was their version of the setup for "Ocean's 11". So let's recap: first quarter, snore, second quarter, haven't I seen this before? Third quarter was finally theFirst quarter of it was wasted with southern redneck exposition. Second quarter was their version of the setup for "Ocean's 11". So let's recap: first quarter, snore, second quarter, haven't I seen this before? Third quarter was finally the "main event" and the final quarter revealed the dbl-cross/twist, but it wasn't as satisfying as it should've been. Kind of interesting when the credits rolled that Seth MacFarlane rated ahead of Katie Holmes and Riley Keough. Hillary Swank got a "with..." credit and Daniel Craig got the final and weird "and introducing..." credit. Meh for me, but probably a fun watch for the NASCAR tribe. Expand
Voodoo123Jan 24, 2018
Another classic Soderbergh heist flick with the trademark star studded cast each delivering interesting performances that keep you engaged throughout. Pacing is a little off and all the usual tropes are here... Logans Lucky suffers byAnother classic Soderbergh heist flick with the trademark star studded cast each delivering interesting performances that keep you engaged throughout. Pacing is a little off and all the usual tropes are here... Logans Lucky suffers by seemingly never fully committing to either the side plots or a main story beyond the completion of the task itself. So a low stakes heist plot for the sake of it with plenty to keep you entertained. Expand