6.5

1. Jul 6, 2013
    I felt like I needed to write a review for this because of all the negative press it has been receiving. My wife and I absolutely loved this movie! We were smiling through the entire movie, and everyone applauded at the end of the movie! My wife wants to buy this movie for her dad for Christmas. We were so glad we did not worry about the "professional" reviewers and tried out thisI felt like I needed to write a review for this because of all the negative press it has been receiving. My wife and I absolutely loved this movie! We were smiling through the entire movie, and everyone applauded at the end of the movie! My wife wants to buy this movie for her dad for Christmas. We were so glad we did not worry about the "professional" reviewers and tried out this movie it was a great surprise! 10/10 Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Critics don't seem to understand the term "popcorn" movie. Luckily, Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer do. My family and I enjoyed this re-imaging of the Lone Ranger story. Depp does a great job, as does William Fichtner in the role of the villanous Butch Cavendish. Armie Hammer holds is own against Depp. The story has its quirky moments, especially with the ongoing bit of "nature out ofCritics don't seem to understand the term "popcorn" movie. Luckily, Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer do. My family and I enjoyed this re-imaging of the Lone Ranger story. Depp does a great job, as does William Fichtner in the role of the villanous Butch Cavendish. Armie Hammer holds is own against Depp. The story has its quirky moments, especially with the ongoing bit of "nature out of balance", which only adds to the fun. The only aspect that I would pick on would be the extensive use of CGI in the action scenes. The critics are haters, this is one enjoyable popcorn movie. Expand
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    Despite the critical reviews and audience’s general hatred of the film, I really enjoyed “The Lone Ranger.” The film is not without its problems as Armie Hammer’s performance is a little cheesy for the fabled hero of the old west but he eventually gets better as the film progresses. Secondly, the story felt a little long and it tended to drag at points. However, there are some greatDespite the critical reviews and audience’s general hatred of the film, I really enjoyed “The Lone Ranger.” The film is not without its problems as Armie Hammer’s performance is a little cheesy for the fabled hero of the old west but he eventually gets better as the film progresses. Secondly, the story felt a little long and it tended to drag at points. However, there are some great action sequences, William Fichtner is great as the villain and Johnny Depp is pretty entertaining as Tonto. The film has its good and it has its bad but I enjoyed it more than I hated it. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    Much like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning home John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets Tonto (Johnny Depp) during a daring train jailbreak. When John is left for dead Tonto saves him and encourages him toMuch like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning home John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets Tonto (Johnny Depp) during a daring train jailbreak. When John is left for dead Tonto saves him and encourages him to become something outside the law, to become a Lone Ranger. Much like Verbinski's previous effort Rango, The Lone Ranger is a twist on the conventional western and doesn't quite feel like a western at all. The Lone Ranger feels like a remarkably smart kids film as almost everything in the film happens for the sake of comedy as the film rockets along with a light hearted tone. However the film does have some disturbing moments that give John and Tonto their justifications for their vendetta meaning there are moments when the film doesn't feel like a 12A at all but a 15 meaning there are moments that may not be suitable for children, especially a rather twisted torture scene early on in the film. It's a courageous film that goes against the stereotypical western formula to become its own beast, a fast paced revenge thriller that boasts more comedy than the average buddy comedy and still has room for exploding trains, gunfights and romance. A film that is trying to be spectacular and look incredible and despite a slow opening it pretty much achieves everything it sets out to do and more. Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Lone Ranger effectively made me felt something I have not felt for some time: that awful feeling of having sunk in money to buy tickets to an otherwise lackluster film.

Johnny Depp here was (supposedly) a secondary character to Hammer's protagonist role, but it seems that the director felt that the film should receive the Pirates charm, and asked him to bring Jack Sparrow front and center in his portrayal. As a result you get all the mannerisms of Sparrow sans the eloquence of the British pirate; the familiar behavior of doing random things as part of a larger plan afoot, the manipulation of people around him for his own goals, the oddities of being mad but secretly brilliant. It made audiences laugh, but this isn't Pirates. The comedy in both Pirates and here was supposed to be icing on the cake, but here the icing covered the cake and pretentiously tried to pass on as the cake itself. Depp was supposed to be background, complementing not overshadowing Hammer.

Hammer on the other hand, gave a decent portrayal, if somewhat limited by the screenwriter's need to put Depp front and center, and the movie's generally bumpy efforts in presenting a story. The movie could be summed up in two themes: Upholding justice by the book vs. vigilantism, and revenge or redemption for past sins. Straightforward themes that writers surprisingly took their time milking out to the detriment of pacing and boring audiences badly. When you do get to some of the fleshy part of the story, its actually quite shallow, piecemeal and sometimes outright nonsensical.

This poor pacing issue even infected the action scenes. Never have I seen action scenes so boring despite the amount of napalm being thrown around. And that's because before any scene begins. there isn't a lot of tension being twisted to set up for the scene. When it plays, there is no discernible story to be told, no underlying struggle or emotion that the director is trying to show here. All it serves is to show off Jack Sparrow in a Western setting, coupled with that freakish white horse, and John Reid's awkward efforts of delivering civilised justice, followed by improbable aiming skills with a single shot. In short, the scenes were alien, not even trying to be integral to the story.

One good thing that should be noted was the chemistry between the leading duo. You get the sense of both characters representing what the underlying themes are, and the struggles of being an effective duo here is played somewhat decently, if not sometimes mired by the and giggles that were sometimes too distracting.

The use of flashback and unreliable narrator tropes here actually serves no purpose in the movie at all. The point of using them here was to supposedly show off Tonto's supernatural abilities, that certain missing parts of the story were actually out of divine/supernatural origins. Quite distracting, and frankly a waste of time that could have been used to flesh out a bit more back story, like that of John Reid and that forgettable damsel-in-distress character, which was placed there as a stereotypical damsel-in-distress given how shallow her characterisation was.

In short, if you enjoy turning off your brain at the door of the theater walking in, or you like to see Depp as Jack Sparrow in a Western, or indulge in occasional nonsensical slapstick comedy mixed with average action scenes, go ahead and watch, Otherwise save up your money for more decent films, or at least rent this movie if you're so tempted to watch, coz really, I don't want to even recommend it as a matinee.
  6. Oct 5, 2013
    WTF is up with these critics. Seriously top entertainment here and they rate it an average of 3.7 These semi-intellectuals need to get their heads out of their asses and rate movies according to entertainment value. I had fun through the whole movie hence rating it a 10
  7. Jul 8, 2013
    A funny movie that is, admittedly, too long in the middle. If they had dropped a few subplots and stuck with the two leads--who have great chemistry together--they'd have had a great movie, not merely a good one.
    Silver steals the movie from the humans!
  8. Jul 13, 2013
    I would not recomend this movie to anyone, I found it to be redundent in it's continued attack on white people. I also think that there is nothing wrong with progress and it seemed to me that progress was attacked. There is something wrong with the Lone Ranger being portrayed as a bumbling boob that needs the guidance of Tonto to put on his gun belt. I bet the makers of this movie won'tI would not recomend this movie to anyone, I found it to be redundent in it's continued attack on white people. I also think that there is nothing wrong with progress and it seemed to me that progress was attacked. There is something wrong with the Lone Ranger being portrayed as a bumbling boob that needs the guidance of Tonto to put on his gun belt. I bet the makers of this movie won't give any of the world wide profits to any of the Indian Nations tht they so happly exploited in this stinker. Don't let your children watch this POS. Expand
  9. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is funny and good.I can't believe the critics hate this movie I mean this movie is great especially If Johnny Depp is in the movie.
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    I went to see this film with pretty low expectations, thanks to the panning Lone Ranger has had from the critics. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. I mean, yes it's a bit predictable at times, and it is a long film (although I didn't really notice that during the film I think if I were to watch it again it would feel too long and overly padded). But it is also reallyI went to see this film with pretty low expectations, thanks to the panning Lone Ranger has had from the critics. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. I mean, yes it's a bit predictable at times, and it is a long film (although I didn't really notice that during the film I think if I were to watch it again it would feel too long and overly padded). But it is also really entertaining. My friends and I laughed a lot during the film and we all came out of the cinema having enjoyed the film. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't going to take the plot too seriously but just wants to have fun for a couple of hours. Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2013
    This would have been the worst movie Ive seen in years. Depp, you should be ashamed of yourself. No continuity, no real story line, and I left before the movie was even 3/4 through.
    Not anything could have saved it.
  12. woo
    Sep 4, 2013
    This film is very good. It is as good as when you see Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time. The main characters are easy to relate to. The action scenes are quite amazing.and the story line keeps you going.. Perfect cinema fodder
  13. Oct 5, 2013
    Having seen how the critics trashed this movie I was expecting the worst. Wow did they ever get it wrong. To me it was the ultimate, thrilling Saturday morning western I remember seeing as a kid. Of course it was over the top and absurd in places it was meant to be because it was such a glorious homage to this genre. Don't be put off by over-intellectualizing critics. It's a blast.
  14. Jul 11, 2013
    I know what the late Clayton Moore would have said about this travesty: "I served with Tonto. I knew Tonto. Tonto was a friend of mine. Whoever you think you are, you're no Tonto."

More campy revisionism. What a damn shame.
  15. Jul 18, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is a great movie, and it shows what a great cast can do to go beyond the stereotypical scripts of yesteryear, and give a populist hero, and a tragic, yet funny, native American, who finally can tell the story of his friend. Great special effects, and a period dress, which is remarkable. Now I know why Johnny Depp made a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean; so, he could do aThe Lone Ranger is a great movie, and it shows what a great cast can do to go beyond the stereotypical scripts of yesteryear, and give a populist hero, and a tragic, yet funny, native American, who finally can tell the story of his friend. Great special effects, and a period dress, which is remarkable. Now I know why Johnny Depp made a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean; so, he could do a gritty movie, which they could afford to make based on the proceeds of the PotC series. I don't expect everyone to like the movie or even understand it. That is what makes it a better movie. Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is the best movie of 2013 (so far). If the kid inside you is still alive, just ignore all the negative critics and enjoy the great movie.
  17. Jul 22, 2013
    I'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGII'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGI that's laughable at best. All we know is, due to the rather poor box office earnings of this film, we won't be seeing a Lone Ranger for another thirty years, and I'm quite happy for that. Expand
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    Although most people underrated the movie it is worth it to watch. The cast had many good actors if not close to great, just to mention few there was Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner, Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is a typically action movie with a little bit weak story line. Yes it dose include some boring parts which add to the length of the movie. Generally it is aAlthough most people underrated the movie it is worth it to watch. The cast had many good actors if not close to great, just to mention few there was Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner, Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is a typically action movie with a little bit weak story line. Yes it dose include some boring parts which add to the length of the movie. Generally it is a enjoyable movie which chance that a person will watch it 1-2 times. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    This is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through theThis is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through the relationship of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The fact it tries to cover both and more leads to confusion. The lead performances are not great. Armie Hammer lacks presence and comic sensibility as the Lone Ranger, whereas Johnny Depp is unintelligible as a mumbling, halting version of Jack Sparrow. However, the support cast, in particular Tom Wilkinson and Helena Bonham-Carter, are good. I suspect, there will be no sequel, but I also think there will be no reboot, certainly not in the near future. Who thought that the world was waiting for $215mn Lone Ranger blockbuster? Expand
  20. Apr 26, 2014
    Critics are being way to hard on this movie. I thought it was pretty good. At first it looks like it might be to silly, but for the most part it`s serious.I was even surprised to see some of the violence in a Disney movie.It`s a great adventure.
  21. Aug 25, 2013
    A masterpiece!! Epic!! Perfection!!!! One of the best live action films ever made!!! Do not listen to anyone and watch it!!!! You will really enjoy it!!!!
  22. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie was very boring, it has no story, what is the massage of it, too long and on the top of all that it looks like it is a big mess. i really think that people give this movie a good rating because they feel sorry for it.
  23. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can say what you want about critics and I say plenty, but the got it right this time.

Spoiler alert: If you haven't seen it, I get into plot below.. so read at your own risk.

Overall, the movie had some redeeming qualities, but generally it was just pretentious and overdone.

I thought the villains were not atypical of a greedy corporate wonk and the dirty lowdown scoundrel you find in these kinds of pictures. Relatively predictable, but much more extreme than it needed to be (a bad dude that eats body parts.... really...kind of sickening). The actual premise of the movie and how it unfolded was pretty good from the Tonto perspective but completely lacking from the Lone Ranger perspective. James Badge Dale as the Lone Ranger's brother was credible as was his wife, actress Ruth Wilson. Even the notion of a long past "triangle" between the 3 of them had the makings of a good twist even though it pretty much was meaningless beyond the reason the sheriff had him go with him to what would be the ambush.

But the notion of a "come back to Texas" lawyer who shuns guns being the lone ranger is pretty stupid, frankly. A "justice seeking local prosecutor turned vigilante because his sheriff brother got killed in an ambush that was part of a bigger conspiracy" would have been plenty of back story. Sheesh.. it didn't have to get stupid with the dude shunning guns and generally being an idiotic coward. Remember, this is supposed to be about the "larger than life" Lone Ranger.

Then there was the whole railroad invading Indian lands with the bad gang pretending the Comanches were invading local settlements thing. That was ok... in fact, it's a well heeled but twistable plot that did get some twists. Not too bad. But, then there's the savage Indians getting cut down by the cavalry that was so prosaic it made you wonder if you were all of a sudden in a Michael Moore documentary. Completely unnecessary and unjustifiable violence with no point and with no real additional value to the story. Better would have been the Lone Ranger and Tonto actually saving that... as the character and the show was built in that vane rather than slaughter em all social commentary.

Armie Hammer who played the Lone Ranger was lacking, although I think it was more about the script and some guy confusing the Lone Ranger with "Dudley Do-Right" of the Canadian Mounties. Entirely too "clean and wholesome" to have grown up in Texas and entirely too naive to have been the Lone Ranger. The character did not develop at all and then when the Lone Ranger went into action at the end paying homage to the comic book and TV series heroics (which I thought was cute as heck) it left you wondering what had happened. A better actor was needed to play the give and take with Johnny Depp. Not to the level of the "Sheriff" brother who was hardened and wise etc, but something better than some silly city flatfoot; it's an insult to the name of the Lone Ranger. Somebody like Chris Evans (who played Captain America in the Avengers and "The Flame" in the Fantastic 4), or Jeremy Renner who has played in everything from the Avengers and GI Joe and who has the capacity to play a good guy gone back who goes good again. Somebody who had a little dirt under his fingernails. The scene where Depp is trying to draw the "spirit horse" who would be Silver, to the Sheriff was a perfect setup for the transformation that would be the Lone Ranger through the collaboration of the due. But, alas, it never came to be.

Not without merit, I really do think that Johnny Depp played a very good Tonto and some of his stunts were great. I also thought the compliment of actors who played the Comanche were fantastic, albeit, in a limited role. Likewise, the premise of the story, an ancient Tonto found in a circus sideshow in the 1930's by a Lone Ranger worshiping boy (who would have been listening to the radio program back then, was brilliant. It was completely reminiscent of the "Buffalo Bill Wild West Show" idea that was very much alive and well in the 1930's and was a great add. Similarly, the horse, the silver bullet etc that were brought up in the story (the silver bullet coming from the silver in the ranger stars of his brother and the other rangers that were murdered) and the Horse being named Silver because of the silver mines the bad guys were trying to exploit from the Indians... perfection. As was the horse, which I know some will think stupid, but Silver was as much of a star in the Lone Ranger saga as was Tonto and the man himself. The fact that Silver keeps showing up to help the other two "save the day" was a fantastic way to add some humorous twists and it worked well (must have been Tim Burton and Depp on those). Similarly "Red" played by Helena Bohnam Carter was a great side character that played a key role.

The ingredients were all there. Some of it even came through, but sadly, the movie as a whole flopped
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    It might be overly long and weird (the rabbits...still doesn't make any sense), but the film is still entertaining. Johnny Depp is the best in the film and he makes the film entertaining. Without his presence the film gets overly boring. I felt as if the main character was a baby- he just whined the whole time and never really did anything SUPER heroic. No wonder why they put JohnnyIt might be overly long and weird (the rabbits...still doesn't make any sense), but the film is still entertaining. Johnny Depp is the best in the film and he makes the film entertaining. Without his presence the film gets overly boring. I felt as if the main character was a baby- he just whined the whole time and never really did anything SUPER heroic. No wonder why they put Johnny Depp's name all over it. Johnny saves the movie with his fantastic acting and comedic performance. The films music (by fantastic composer Hans Zimmer) is perfect and the action is awesome along with its eye popping visual effects. This film is weird, but entertainingly good. Expand
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    The Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends withThe Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends with another amazing action scene, but the middle drags on for an overwhelming length. Johnny Depp does not produce his best work here. Instead of portraying Tonto correctly, intelligent with a hint of crazy, he played him at times idiotic and down right stupid. Depp made the entirety of the Native American people look dumb, and because of it came across racist. Lastly, what were the flashbacks about? Why did we need to see Tonto as an old man, and what was the symbolism at the end? I missed it completely... The Lone Ranger will go down as one of the biggest box office flops of the summer, and after viewing it is understandable. Expand
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    All the character are competent and capable when they need to be but then there drooling idiots later Story is bad the Lone Ranger is a sad disappointment
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie tends to get sour ratings. But, personally, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean the action was kind of null at some points, but this movie deserves at least a 6.5.
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    The lone Ranger Is Great and wonderful film and the dialog is sharp, and humorous, the special effects are very good
    I don't know why the critics are negative
  29. Aug 20, 2013
    My wife and I, who both grew up in the 50s with the TV series, absolutely loved this movie. We are admittedly Johnny Depp fans and knew from the expert reviews that we would most probably love this movie, as we rarely agree with the stiff collared professional hacks. The movie had obvious flaws like dangling plots, corny puns and character deviations from it's puritanical routes of theMy wife and I, who both grew up in the 50s with the TV series, absolutely loved this movie. We are admittedly Johnny Depp fans and knew from the expert reviews that we would most probably love this movie, as we rarely agree with the stiff collared professional hacks. The movie had obvious flaws like dangling plots, corny puns and character deviations from it's puritanical routes of the radio series but succeeded in it's primary goal of pure entertainment. Lighten up folks this movie will be a cult classic. Expand
  30. Aug 20, 2013
    This film was absolutely fantastic! Not only did the film appeal to children but to all audiences by its great use of mild gore, adventurous action and tasteful humor. From thrilling fight scenes to sad death scenes, the film has you feel a great range of emotions.

This film is wrongly criticized by many critics, I cannot believe anyone has rated this film bellow an 8! it is a must

it is a must watch film

GO AND WATCH IT!
  31. Sep 2, 2013
    Critics are haters. They're like blood-thirsty vampires. They feed on negative energy. This movie was actually very good, and I loved watching Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer working together as a team. The film is not nearly as bad as critics suggest, even though I have a few objections over the cannibalism and sexual undertones the movie had, since kids might have been watching. However,Critics are haters. They're like blood-thirsty vampires. They feed on negative energy. This movie was actually very good, and I loved watching Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer working together as a team. The film is not nearly as bad as critics suggest, even though I have a few objections over the cannibalism and sexual undertones the movie had, since kids might have been watching. However, there are also some very humorous scenes between Depp and Hammer in the movie. Overall, I enjoyed this movie and hope there will be a sequel, though it seems unlikely. I would purchase this movie on DVD, as it very good.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  32. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ahead of The Lone Ranger as it made its way across the pond was a cloud of overwhelming negativity from American critics, souring the film's UK opening. Stars Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp have defended the film against this tirade, arguing that these reviews were written months before the film was released, and focused on condemning the large budget length. This side of the Atlantic, critical reception has been elevated to "mixed". Bracing ourselves for the worst, the revelation is that The Lone Ranger is actually a cracking film, that does not deserve its fate as the latest high profile flop.

Yes, the $250 million dollar budget screams extravagance, and the two-and-a-half- hour runtime seems bloated. This is typical of a Hollywood bubble that seems in danger of bursting, as studios continue to green light expensive sequels and reboots that absorb money and frequently fail to make a significant return. The length is not a problem; it remains interesting throughout, and the last sequence is almost a little too action packed.

What sets The Lone Ranger apart is that it is seriously old school cinema. The Lone Ranger himself, with his white Stetson, domino mask and strict moral code, is an iconic American character, first appearing in 1930s radio serials, and more famously in the 1950s television series. The latest incarnation is directed by Gore Verbinski, who knows a thing or two about working with Johnny Depp. The man who brought swashbuckling sagas back to our screens is an appropriate choice to resurrect one of the earliest Western heroes.

Trailers featured behind the scenes footage, seeking to make us aware that this film eschews total reliance on CGI, instead opting to perform many of the most impressive stunts for real. There are some particularly breathtaking sequences involving trains; the story is set against the backdrop of the transcontinental railway, the completion of which is relocated to reconstruction-era Texas.

The film provides compelling back stories and character arcs for both the Lone Ranger and Tonto. From the character's inception, The Lone Ranger was instilled with a strong set of principles, and this is how John Reid, the man who will become the Ranger, starts his journey: as a man of virtue but naivety, who believes in the law, and more importantly, a powerful sense of justice. This is challenged powerfully over the course of the film; Reid must carve himself a new justice as he comes to term with the faults in the system, and its ineffectuality in the lawless West.

Tonto's after Cavendish for different reasons, seeking atonement for the mistakes of his past. There's silver in them there hills, and the location of a rich vein was unwittingly revealed to Cavendish by a young Tonto. This folly cost the boy dearly: Cavendish murdered Tonto's entire village to keep the location a secret. Unable to come to terms with this act of brutality, Tonto convinced himself that the outlaw is a wendigo, a cannibal demon.

Much like other films that revive a beloved franchise, The Lone Ranger spends its time with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and is packed full of tip-of-the-hat homage. This nostalgia trip rubs off the generation that grew up with the classic incarnations, who are waiting for a cry of "Hi-yo Silver, away!" or a rousing rendition of William Tell Overture, both of which are delivered, and wisely held back until the finale.

The choice of the relatively unknown Hammer to play the Lone Ranger preserves some of the mystery of the character that might have been difficult with a familiar Hollywood face. Hammer handles the role with the good natured comic charm of Brendan Fraser in The Mummy (1999). As this is a Lone Ranger who is still learning the ropes of heroism, the casting allows Tonto to step into the limelight and spend more time driving the story.

Johnny Depp gives a typically quirky performance as Tonto. There's plainly something of a certain pirate captain coming through in the character's mannerisms, but Tonto's spirituality and raison d'être are different enough from Jack Sparrow's love of mammon and the bottle to keep the interpretation original.

With focus on the relationship between the two leads, secondary characters have limited screen time, and are underdeveloped. But the cast is rounded out nicely. An unrecognisable William Fichtner is suitably despicable as the cannibalistic Butch Cavendish and Helena Bonham Carter shows up as a brothel madam. The Lone Ranger has truly been a highlight of the summer film calendar. It manages to be both a traditional western that captures the spirit of old Hollywood, and revisionist in its interpretation of the characters. Don't listen to the critics on this one.
  33. Sep 12, 2013
    Pretty nice action. Go and see it right now if you haven't saw it. It was really nice. This movie is underrated. I think this movie deserves to get a Oscar in the next year. MUST SEE.
  34. Sep 18, 2013
    At some point there was this one scene where Armie Hammer's persona was being dragged through horse fecal matter. That's exactly how it felt watching this putrid excuse of entertainment.
  35. Nov 30, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. I heard of all the bad things about it, which made me skeptical at first, but when i watched it I thought to myself "Wow, this is actually fairly decent". It adds yet another dark tone to Disney, plus more. It gets a lot of hate for some reason, and that reason will remain a mystery.
  36. Oct 23, 2013
    All though this movie was not perfect it certainly did not deserve to get banged up by a lot of critics and others who I feel are somewhat close minded.This is the kind of movie that appeals to people with a capability for abstract thinking and can accept entertainment which presents the unexpected.No, the Lone Ranger is not an Instant Hero and Tonto is not his servant.The plot does notAll though this movie was not perfect it certainly did not deserve to get banged up by a lot of critics and others who I feel are somewhat close minded.This is the kind of movie that appeals to people with a capability for abstract thinking and can accept entertainment which presents the unexpected.No, the Lone Ranger is not an Instant Hero and Tonto is not his servant.The plot does not always follow the linear direction that you would think.And the story told by the old Tonto is possibly that in his own mind just a story.But these are the things I liked about the movie and thoroughly enjoyed watching it at The Family Drive-in in Stephens City,VA with my wonderful wife,my awesome 5 month old son (who fell asleep on my chest before the movie even started) and a sky full of stars overhead.Add this one to my list of all time revisionist westerns and I am looking for more like it from this creative team. Expand
  37. Dec 21, 2013
    The Lone Ranger 1949 series was one of the biggest hits in television history, and for me this movie's accomplishment honor (not the best way but it does). Johnny Depp shows us a more like Tonto Jack Sparrow that Jay Silverheels starring. Gore Verbinski does a good direction, but I am already half sick of us do get used by Tim Burton to see Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter together onThe Lone Ranger 1949 series was one of the biggest hits in television history, and for me this movie's accomplishment honor (not the best way but it does). Johnny Depp shows us a more like Tonto Jack Sparrow that Jay Silverheels starring. Gore Verbinski does a good direction, but I am already half sick of us do get used by Tim Burton to see Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter together on screen. Armie Hammer grandly homage to the great Clayton Moore (who can rest in peace thanks to Hammer). The comedic moments manage to make you laugh out loud almost (Johnny Depp in the special). What I did not like that becomes boring and middle parts of the very fictional script. Expand
  38. Jul 7, 2013
    Movie suffers from an identity crisis! Depp is playing it coy and going for the laughs; Hammer is trying to play it straight and go for the action. The scenes jump from Let's Make a Comedy to Now It's Die Hard Time. The audience never knows how to react or relate. It's not nearly as bad, though, as the critics would have you believe. Interesting footnote: at the showing I saw manyMovie suffers from an identity crisis! Depp is playing it coy and going for the laughs; Hammer is trying to play it straight and go for the action. The scenes jump from Let's Make a Comedy to Now It's Die Hard Time. The audience never knows how to react or relate. It's not nearly as bad, though, as the critics would have you believe. Interesting footnote: at the showing I saw many waited and watched as Depp literally walked into the sunset AFTER the credits. Most were older audience members perhaps trying to hold on to earlier memories of "Hi, Yo, Silver." Expand
  39. Jul 6, 2013
    A slick movie like this one coming from Disney has "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchising written all over it, and it probably will. That said, while it isn't the lousy movie so many people seem to be claiming it is, it's not the greatest, either. The high point is Johnny Depp, obviously. Armie Hammer comes across likeable enough but lacking in the charisma departmentA slick movie like this one coming from Disney has "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchising written all over it, and it probably will. That said, while it isn't the lousy movie so many people seem to be claiming it is, it's not the greatest, either. The high point is Johnny Depp, obviously. Armie Hammer comes across likeable enough but lacking in the charisma department severely.
    The laughs though are plenty, Tonto being a smart ass in particular. One actor playing Butch Cavendish gets the ugly award, and it's obvious it's the same make up department that made "Pirates" alternately enchanting and disgusting. It's not a very deep movie plot wise, so the best idea is to enjoy it for the escapism it was intended to be, perhaps giving latitude as one did when watching the often twisted world of the old TV classic "The Wild Wild West". "The Lone Ranger" is a nice way to get in out of the heat and watch something silly, but not much else.
  40. Jul 6, 2013
    Don't believe the harsh critics- this was a great summer film! Its main flaw is that it is a bit too long, but there is plenty of entertainment to carry the audience along. Armie and Johnny have great chemistry together, and it's clear they had a ball. William Fichtner is a perfect villain. Many of the reviews criticize the film for not knowing whether to be serious or funny- this isDon't believe the harsh critics- this was a great summer film! Its main flaw is that it is a bit too long, but there is plenty of entertainment to carry the audience along. Armie and Johnny have great chemistry together, and it's clear they had a ball. William Fichtner is a perfect villain. Many of the reviews criticize the film for not knowing whether to be serious or funny- this is ridiculous as it's possible to go for some laughs while carrying a more serious message underneath, and I think this film has done that brilliantly. The trailers I saw before this film are all the cookie-cutter comic book heroes and fighting robots; it's great to have an alternative with horses and trains for a change. Expand
  41. Jul 5, 2013
    Great summer movie. Lots of action, very funny and beautiful visually. Depp and Hammer make a wonderful "Odd Couple." There's so much here, so many layers of meaning.
  42. Jul 5, 2013
    Very, very entertaining film for the whole family. (Not for little tykes under 7, though.) We took our 3 boys, aged 9, 13, and 14 to see this movie and for a change, all of them enjoyed it. Not easy to find a film that appeals to this range of ages. I also loved this movie and will willingly see it again. Very good story, excellent acting, and worth the price of admission. I am gladVery, very entertaining film for the whole family. (Not for little tykes under 7, though.) We took our 3 boys, aged 9, 13, and 14 to see this movie and for a change, all of them enjoyed it. Not easy to find a film that appeals to this range of ages. I also loved this movie and will willingly see it again. Very good story, excellent acting, and worth the price of admission. I am glad though, that it's not in 3D, which is becoming a gimmick when used in films that don't need that to be visually stimulating. This film is has stunning visuals of Monument Valley. Another of the things that amazed me the most were not the explosions or the finely executed train sequences, but the amazing make up done on all the actors, from Johnny Depp's "Tonto" face paint to William Fichtner's "Butch Cavendish" split lip and stringy hair to Helena Bonham Carter's "Red" and her ivory leg (it's been in trailers, so not a spoiler, I think). This is not a comedy, nor is it a "dram-edy", but all around entertaining. The thing I noticed most about Depp's performance was that there was nothing he did that reminded me of Captain Jack in his mannerisms and I have watched the first 3 Pirate movies many times with my kids. Sure, there are nods to Pirates and even a few of Johnny's other movies if you catch the references. I caught a couple of them. As always, Depp gives a fabulous performance and I think his new Comanche family is proud of his portrayal. Tonto, though damaged, is first and foremost a warrior and is the smart one of the duo. That crow became less of a distraction as well. It wasn't just a headpiece. I also can't say enough good things about the 6'3" Armie Hammer who plays the title character. He's perfect and a good straight man to Depp's sometimes mischievous Tonto. I didn't find any of the humor to be dumbed-down or just for cheap laughs. Nice to watch a film with out any fart jokes.
    In conclusion, I am one of those people that grew up watching the TV show and I must say, this does it justice. Hi-yo, Silver! Away!
    Note: As I began my review, I had rated this an 8 and changed to to a 10 by the end.
  43. Jul 5, 2013
    Went to a matinee by myself first as I wasn't expecting much based on the horrendous reviews. Wow, was I surprised: fabulous, fun-filled, entertaining film! Convinced my daughter & son-in-law to see it last night; we all had a great time. Getting a bad feeling, though, about the way the reviews for this rolled out. Many could not even claim to be informative. They were just viciousWent to a matinee by myself first as I wasn't expecting much based on the horrendous reviews. Wow, was I surprised: fabulous, fun-filled, entertaining film! Convinced my daughter & son-in-law to see it last night; we all had a great time. Getting a bad feeling, though, about the way the reviews for this rolled out. Many could not even claim to be informative. They were just vicious attacks. What's going on? Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2013
    This Movie was really Good so entertaining i dont understand why critics are giving negative reviews maybe they hate being entetained Johnny Depp is Perfect as always i think it's one of his best Armie Hammer is surprisingly good the movie has some great western and action moments that it's really hard to not enjoy so if you want to have some fun go and watch it as soon as possible
  45. Jul 6, 2013
    While not the best movie ever, this movie was definitely better than the composite metacritic score. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it and my wife not being the biggest sci-fi, action, fantasy type fan said we will have to get it on dvd. It was 2-1/2 hours long and didn't seem that long, was a good story and a good popcorn flick bringing you back to the adventurous 80s style moviesWhile not the best movie ever, this movie was definitely better than the composite metacritic score. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it and my wife not being the biggest sci-fi, action, fantasy type fan said we will have to get it on dvd. It was 2-1/2 hours long and didn't seem that long, was a good story and a good popcorn flick bringing you back to the adventurous 80s style movies that was 75% action and 25% plot. Would see it again. Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2013
    GREAT Movie, very entertaining, highly recommend and can;t wait to see it again Acting was great, the scenery was beautiful,the music was great. The time seemed to fly by. Fun Fun Fun
  47. Jul 5, 2013
    Classic comedic western with the fantastic sarcasm of johnny Depp. It was everything i had hoped. Really can't understand the bad reviews by the critics really makes you wonder if they were paid off. There is so much garbage out there, not sure why they picked on this movie. Ignore them.
  48. Jul 6, 2013
    I think the critics saw the wrong movie. This is action packed, beautifully filmed with great touches of humor. Depp gracefully steps aside to let Armie and Silver steal the movie. And do they ever! Do not listen to critics, this is the best summer movie you could possibly see! Hi Ho Silver!! The bad guys are wonderful done, scenery is breathtaking, and not a moment that isn't memorable!!!I think the critics saw the wrong movie. This is action packed, beautifully filmed with great touches of humor. Depp gracefully steps aside to let Armie and Silver steal the movie. And do they ever! Do not listen to critics, this is the best summer movie you could possibly see! Hi Ho Silver!! The bad guys are wonderful done, scenery is breathtaking, and not a moment that isn't memorable!!! I am a movie lover. And this is great summer film making!!! Expand
  49. Jul 5, 2013
    Was a very good movie for sure. I think that the critics get very harsh on movies like this because they are more niche movies that won't appeal to every moviegoer but instead are very well spaced and have a good amount of humor in them.

Obviously with Johnny Depp in this movie you see a lot of that recurring humor that you see in a lot of his movies. It is very well spaced and it doesn't seem like they are overdoing it.

The acting, as stated, is very good. I believe that not enough can be said of the way Depp plays his part, and I believe that the story relating to the mistreatment of Native Americans has been very well written. The truth is we as a country were founded on hating these people and I believe it shows in this movie that they had a Native American on site to help them with historical portrayals.

I know that my review is very spread out and might not be super informational but I just have to say that if you are a fan of Depp movies, such as Dark Shadows then you will most certainly like this movie.
  50. Jul 5, 2013
    This was just an entertaining, turn the mind off kind of movie. The acting was good, the pacing was great. Just don't think about it and enjoy the fun and you will like the movie. If you are expecting an Oscar contender don't go.
  51. Jul 8, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is a very long way away from being excellent. However I think it is enjoyable and it delivers what you would expect from a film made by the Pirates of the Caribbean producers. Johnny Depp gives a funny and well done performance and Arnie Hammer doesn't do a bad job either. Overall it isn't the best film in the world but it was still entertaining and worth watching.
  52. Jul 6, 2013
    My husband and I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it so much we went back and saw it again today. It's hilarious, full of action and surprise dialog (love the new definition of "kemosabe"). Some of the action gets pretty crazy like toward the end of Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles; great fun to watch. Beautiful scenery. Though the story is in Texas, it was shot in Monument Valley, AZ; and partsMy husband and I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it so much we went back and saw it again today. It's hilarious, full of action and surprise dialog (love the new definition of "kemosabe"). Some of the action gets pretty crazy like toward the end of Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles; great fun to watch. Beautiful scenery. Though the story is in Texas, it was shot in Monument Valley, AZ; and parts of Utah, New Mexico and California. Perhaps the actor chosen wasn't politically correct, but lighten up. It's a great fun comedy. Expand
  53. Jul 7, 2013
    One of Johnny Depp's best movies without a doubt everything about this movie is great it's so enjoyable and fun it's easily one of my favorite movies
  54. Jul 7, 2013
    I am so glad that many users wrote positive reviews otherwise I never would have gone to see this movie and it was well worth it! Professional critics are missing all the fun. Lone Ranger beats out all the other summer blockbusters; it has far more wit, much better action timing, and lots of unexpected plot twists. It's especially fun to see all the visual references to old Westerns.I am so glad that many users wrote positive reviews otherwise I never would have gone to see this movie and it was well worth it! Professional critics are missing all the fun. Lone Ranger beats out all the other summer blockbusters; it has far more wit, much better action timing, and lots of unexpected plot twists. It's especially fun to see all the visual references to old Westerns. Johnny Depp is hilarious. It's a little long, but go and have fun you will be well entertained! Expand
  55. Jul 7, 2013
    Media critics are incredibly harsh with their ratings. What were they expecting? It's a summer popcorn movie.

It's anachronistic, a little longer than it should be, has a tired plot and a cliche antagonist, but it also has a bit of wit about it. Depp's performance was understated relative to his Pirates of the Caribbean roles, which helped, especially since Armie Hammer's channelling of Brendan Fraser was decidedly weak.

There's enough fun to make this worthwhile. Watch with proper expectations and you won't be disappointed.
  56. Jul 18, 2013
    The tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straightThe tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straight out of parts two and three of the Pirates franchise and the assumption must be that Disney execs will soon lose their jobs with another bomb to follow John Carter. The only redeeming feature is Silver the horse, who deserves his own spin off series. The Lone Ranger himself is reduced to being a feeble joke figure with which the hapless Hammer can do nothing. The worst kind of Hollywood filmmaking. Expand
  57. Jul 5, 2013
    What a great movie. Enjoyable time with my 13 year-old daughter.

The media and professional movie critics wouldn't know how to be entertained if it hit them in the face.

Fun afternoon out on a 4th of July. Take the entire family. Enjoy yourselves by seeing The Lone Ranger. Tell your friends, we did...
  58. Jul 6, 2013
    Really, the movie isn't bad. I am sure that you have read critics tearing this movie down, but I wouldn't agree with other users here who feel that critics simply didn't get it or couldn't enjoy a bit of summer fun. Moreover, every critique you have heard is valid. The thing is, while all those bits detract from the movie a bit they do not by any means ruin it. It's still well done andReally, the movie isn't bad. I am sure that you have read critics tearing this movie down, but I wouldn't agree with other users here who feel that critics simply didn't get it or couldn't enjoy a bit of summer fun. Moreover, every critique you have heard is valid. The thing is, while all those bits detract from the movie a bit they do not by any means ruin it. It's still well done and great summer fun. I don't expect it will do well at the box office though, because even if you ignore bad reviews the Lone Ranger a movie you'd expect to pander to every demographic will repel more than a few who would otherwise have loved it with it's body count and brutality. Expand
  59. Jul 5, 2013
    Johnny Depp is brilliant, the movie is excellent, the dialog is sharp, and humorous, the special effects are very good. Was it really over 2 hours! The time went so quickly. I don't know why the critics are negative...perhaps they are jealous of success. Outside of the bedroom, its the most fun you will have for 2 hours this summer, Angels, Johnny shines brightly.
  60. Jul 5, 2013
    "The Lone Ranger" is a perfect summer Movie i enjoyed watching it even though screenplay wasn't that strong but the movie doesnt fail to entertain you
  61. Jul 5, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is one of those movies that reminds how important of a role the editor plays in making a film. Now first off, I really disagree with critics. This film is garnering a lot of hate which is quite ridiculous, as I found it to be typical summer movie fun, that doesn't quite live up to the standards of Pirates. There are two main limps that drag the film down. Its runtime, andThe Lone Ranger is one of those movies that reminds how important of a role the editor plays in making a film. Now first off, I really disagree with critics. This film is garnering a lot of hate which is quite ridiculous, as I found it to be typical summer movie fun, that doesn't quite live up to the standards of Pirates. There are two main limps that drag the film down. Its runtime, and the plot. The movie should really be about 30-45 minutes shorter, but that's a lesser complaint. The real problem is how tonally inconsistent the plot is. There will be moments when the villain cuts organs out of deceased bodies, and then immediately after there is humor from Tonto. It feels like the Lone Ranger and Tonto are in one movie, and this evil, menacing villain is in another. Also, this is surprisingly dark for a Disney movie. The villain is scary and cuts out and eats people's hearts,(brought to you by Disney, ha ha!) and even though it's being marketed as one, it isn't a family friendly movie. I went with my 7 year old brother and he could handle it, but he's got balls of steel so read reviews before taking your kids. Despite all my gripes, I found the Lone Ranger to be engaging summer fare that was just a bit too long. Expand
  62. Jul 5, 2013
    Love, love, LOVE it!!! Didn't want it to end. Armie stole the show, which I didn't expect. Johnny gave an amazing performance also. The audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end. Great fun!!!
  63. Jul 7, 2013
    A science fiction cowboy movie similar to Aliens and Cowboys but with more laughs. This is a good popcorn flick that runs long but it moves with lots of action.
  64. Jul 6, 2013
    This movie is terrific. Very entertaining and it was not at all boring. The action, humor and scenery is fantastic. Do not let the professional reviews keep you from seeing it. I intend to see it again and buy the video. The placement of William Tell Overture was thrilling.
  65. Jul 7, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is a 2013 film directed by Gore Verbinski. Directed by Verbinski I liked very much. The sets are really nice and I liked the fact that they decided to take it all with real landscapes rather than create them with CGI. Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer were a great duo, both very funny, especially the character of Tonto. The action scenes were well shot and the comic scenes areThe Lone Ranger is a 2013 film directed by Gore Verbinski. Directed by Verbinski I liked very much. The sets are really nice and I liked the fact that they decided to take it all with real landscapes rather than create them with CGI. Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer were a great duo, both very funny, especially the character of Tonto. The action scenes were well shot and the comic scenes are not missed at all. The only flaw is the length of the film. I did not hear it but for such a plot 150 minutes is too long. Expand
  66. Dec 28, 2013
    Unbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he is totally unrecognisable so good is the make up for his aged character. The cinematography is first rate and much enjoyment is generated from theUnbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he is totally unrecognisable so good is the make up for his aged character. The cinematography is first rate and much enjoyment is generated from the outstanding stunt work on display aboard a fast moving train. Hans Zimmer intuitively ties everything up nicely via his perfectly fitting and, at times, beautifully melodic score. Expand
  67. Jul 7, 2013
    Anyone who does not enjoy this movie has no appreciation for the essence of a "Summer Blockbuster". I can only assume that the critics went into it expecting a re-boot of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheel's classic t.v. interpretation of the 1933 radio show. Clearly it is not that. The movies is the legend told through the eyes of an aging, and possibly senile, Tonto. Accept that premiseAnyone who does not enjoy this movie has no appreciation for the essence of a "Summer Blockbuster". I can only assume that the critics went into it expecting a re-boot of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheel's classic t.v. interpretation of the 1933 radio show. Clearly it is not that. The movies is the legend told through the eyes of an aging, and possibly senile, Tonto. Accept that premise and you will thoroughly enjoy Johnny Depp's portrayal of the iconic sidekick. The critics have it wrong folks, this is a classic. Expand
  68. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do not understand the negative reviews of this film--it is very good--it does take its time to get to the main action, but it is an origins film for both Tonto and the Lone Ranger. It is full of magic realism, an economic critique of progress in the 19th century, and an elegy for a lost world of First Nations and the environment I would recommend this film to anyone. It even taps into the original series musically, the modified theme. It even ends with a Heigh-ho Silver--great effects--the horse leaping from the roof of the barn to the earth is great, and it even has echoes of LOTR: TTT, the Comanche attack. Go see it! Expand
  69. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was entertaining, but had a lot of problems with its characters, plot, and pacing. One of the most noticeable problems is that i doesn't really have an audience its aimed at. There are moments where poop and fart jokes are thrown at the audience and other moments where we witness SPOILER ALERT; a man eating another man's heart. Armie Hammer never became his role and at times wasThis movie was entertaining, but had a lot of problems with its characters, plot, and pacing. One of the most noticeable problems is that i doesn't really have an audience its aimed at. There are moments where poop and fart jokes are thrown at the audience and other moments where we witness SPOILER ALERT; a man eating another man's heart. Armie Hammer never became his role and at times was very awkward to watch, Jonny Depp acted well in his role of Jack Sparrow in a native american costume, but ultimately their chemistry fell face flat. The entire story is told to a little kid similarly to Princess Bride, but this format quickly becomes strange and feels very out-of-place. It had cool action scenes and a few comedic moments, but in between was just a very stretched-out boring plot that goes literally no where. Out of generosity towards the good moments in this film I will give it a 4 out of 10. Seriously that's being generous. Expand
  70. Jul 6, 2013
    Saw in a full theater. Audience responded with appropriate laughter, solemn attention and a round of applause at end. I loved it. Found the acting, sets, stunts, costumes amazing-the message profound. Nature will never be in balance with man present...Great film!
  71. Jul 6, 2013
    How could the critics get The Lone Ranger so wrong. They should hang their heads in shame. This is the most heartfelt movie of the summer and one of the most interesting films of the year. It balances action and fun with a serious, and fairly bitter commentary, of big business and the plight of native Americans something you would expect from an indie movie not a $200 million DisneyHow could the critics get The Lone Ranger so wrong. They should hang their heads in shame. This is the most heartfelt movie of the summer and one of the most interesting films of the year. It balances action and fun with a serious, and fairly bitter commentary, of big business and the plight of native Americans something you would expect from an indie movie not a $200 million Disney blockbuster. Critics have mentioned echoes of The General (and Buster Keaton is definitely an inspiration for Johnny Depp's take on Tonto) but the real touchstone is The Missouri Breaks with Depp's hero Marlon Brando another film that was panned for it's mixture of whimsy and brutality. (Tonto talking to Silver and baddie wearing bonnet are direct references to Missouri Breaks). If you want to see a summer film that is immensely entertaining but also has something on its mind then don't miss The Lone Ranger. The critics are a disgrace. Expand
  72. Jul 6, 2013
    I really enjoyed it! I feel like people made a great fuss over it being overly violent, which I was confused about, since this is Gore Verbinski, a director who typically makes very-adult children's films. I didn't think it was that violent at all.
    I think I'm a bit biased though because I am a big POTC and Johnny Depp fan and this was very much written/directed in that same style.
    But
    But definitely I feel like the critics are being overly harsh....
  73. Jul 6, 2013
    Sorry don't need some critics telling me what to see and if I will like a movie or not! It was great and have seen it 3 times and will go back; thanks Disney, Jerry, Gore, Johnny and Armie for a fun 2 1/2 hours of entertainment!
  74. Jul 7, 2013
    A very good movie with great action scenes and good buddy bonding. Johnny Depp is perfect as Tonto
    and Hammer is good as the title character, oozing goodness and naïveté but then transforming
    into a righteous man of Justice. Good supporting cast. Only criticism is that it's about 20 minutes
    to long. Don't listen to the professional critics, they're wrong.
  75. Jul 9, 2013
    I saw this movie on the 4th. Theater was full. I still watch reruns of the original Lone Ranger on digital TV. The new Lone Ranger is not a remake. It is a a NEW movie about the Lone Ranger, story told by Tonto. I thought that was clever. This is a Disney movie, well made, entertaining. Isn't that what movies are all about? Johnny Depp was again at his best Armie Hammer so so, butI saw this movie on the 4th. Theater was full. I still watch reruns of the original Lone Ranger on digital TV. The new Lone Ranger is not a remake. It is a a NEW movie about the Lone Ranger, story told by Tonto. I thought that was clever. This is a Disney movie, well made, entertaining. Isn't that what movies are all about? Johnny Depp was again at his best Armie Hammer so so, but very good looking I took my 4 1/2 old granddaughter and she got the humor laughed and liked Tonto. She made a comment about how this movie was like Rango. Even a 4 year old knows about the wild, wild west. Brilliant child! Lots of gunfights, yeah, people get shot and die but hello its how it happened back then. IF they didn't put it in then the critics would say it wasnt true to how it was. I don't consider it violent. I've seen cartoons where they get shot. The critics suck not the movie! They get more attention for themselves if they give a negative review. Expand
  76. Jul 10, 2013
    At first we didn't want to see The Lone Ranger because of the bad reviews. But our friends wanted to see it, so we went along. All four of us loved it! It had everything, adventure, love, good vs. evil, historical content ...but most of all humor and wit. Johnny Depp was wonderful as Tonto. All four of us loved the movie and recommend it to all. Don't listen to the critics....decideAt first we didn't want to see The Lone Ranger because of the bad reviews. But our friends wanted to see it, so we went along. All four of us loved it! It had everything, adventure, love, good vs. evil, historical content ...but most of all humor and wit. Johnny Depp was wonderful as Tonto. All four of us loved the movie and recommend it to all. Don't listen to the critics....decide for yourself! Expand
  77. Jul 25, 2013
    Johnny Depp has been all downhill since 21 Jump Street. He's not a good actor, he just plays the same quirky weirdo in every movie. I just don't think the Lone Ranger resonates with many people these days. Horses, trains, what? I did enjoy Armie Hammer though.
  78. Jul 5, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is an absolutely fun summer movie starring Johnny Depp at his best it has lot of action combined with comedy that produces something enjoyable
  79. Jul 3, 2013
    This movie was entertaining from start to finish I laughed until I cried. In my opinion, Depp is a modern day Chaplin. It was spectacular. I am glad I did not read the critics reviews before I attended the film.
  80. Jul 5, 2013
    Yet another modern adaptation that details the creation of the myth (and sets us up for sequels). This time, a city-slicker prosecutor (Armie Hammer) dons the famous mask to team up with a multi-layered Tonto (would you expect anything less from Johnny Depp?). The plot revolves around the advancement of the railroad in the Old West and so do all 3 of the action sequences, which are full ofYet another modern adaptation that details the creation of the myth (and sets us up for sequels). This time, a city-slicker prosecutor (Armie Hammer) dons the famous mask to team up with a multi-layered Tonto (would you expect anything less from Johnny Depp?). The plot revolves around the advancement of the railroad in the Old West and so do all 3 of the action sequences, which are full of daring do and spectacular stunts. The rest of the time is dialogue in the dessert…a lot of it.,,too much (this is 2.5 hrs). And it's often in jarring modern slang. While the leads are both OK and the movie never bores, it never captures the imagination or thrills the spirit. Expand
  81. Jul 4, 2013
    This is a summer popcorn movie, the kind best seen as a matinee or, like I did, at the drive in. Deep plot? No. But that's not what this movie is about. It's about a good guy looking to see justice done, and the adventures he and his friend go through.
  82. Dec 25, 2013
    The Lone Ranger deserved better ratings and comments than what it got. It was funny and had a lot of action. Everyone is against the idea of Johnny Depp playing tonto here i think he did a hell of a job playing the role. JD brought humor and whit into the movie which made it watchable.
  83. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie is why you should never listen to reviewers.movie was really funny!!! 80!!!! Not your grandfather/grandmothers Lone Ranger More violent than most Disney movies
  84. Jul 3, 2013
    This surprised me. A wild unpredictable ride worth taking. Finally a big blockbuster that is mindful of the craft at hand and allows you to enjoy the quest while not entirely ignoring historical injustices. Enjoy!
  85. Jul 5, 2013
    This is how Hollywood blockbusters should be made. Don't let the critics kill this movie. This movie takes its time developing, but it has wonderful light moments (and there are plenty of them) and some serious moments too and balances them beautifully. If you're looking for lots and lots of jumpy action shots; lots of vroom vroom bang bang boom (car chases, shootouts and explosions), youThis is how Hollywood blockbusters should be made. Don't let the critics kill this movie. This movie takes its time developing, but it has wonderful light moments (and there are plenty of them) and some serious moments too and balances them beautifully. If you're looking for lots and lots of jumpy action shots; lots of vroom vroom bang bang boom (car chases, shootouts and explosions), you get them here, but without the jumpiness, and every single one serves the plot. Depp and Hammer are great as are all the villains, and the story builds nicely to a wonderful nostalgic climax. A little slow in spots? Maybe. Some aberrant vampire bunnies? OK. But how director Gore Verbinski, the writers and editors got this one past the money men is probably a story in itself. The cinematography is gorgeous and every shot, (except for the bunnies), and every bit of spectacle serves the story. I can't remember the last time a big Hollywood movie cared about story, or characters for that matter. The only thing at fault here is the marketing campaign which gives the impression the movie is one big heartless yuck. Well it's not. And don't hold that against it. Don't let this movie die! Go see it! Expand
  86. Jul 3, 2013
    I actually went to a sneak preview showing last night with my wife and we both REALLY liked it. It's mostly a drama with some action and a little comedy. People go in expecting one thing and review it harshly when it doesn't deliver the movie they imagined. Well I thought the mix was enjoyable and I can't wait for a sequel. Parents with kids, a word of caution, a lot of people getI actually went to a sneak preview showing last night with my wife and we both REALLY liked it. It's mostly a drama with some action and a little comedy. People go in expecting one thing and review it harshly when it doesn't deliver the movie they imagined. Well I thought the mix was enjoyable and I can't wait for a sequel. Parents with kids, a word of caution, a lot of people get killed and there is some other gore as well. This is a more serious movie than Pirates of the Caribbean but I don't think that is a bad thing. Expand
  87. Jul 3, 2013
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Though it is no high-end film, by any stretch of the imagination, it's a whole lot of fun. The actors play their roles very well, and have excellent timing. Depp is utterly hilarious as Tonto, and plays off the more serious Ranger excellently. Go see it. It's exactly what a summer movie should be; fun, exciting, with laughs and gasps abound.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    Gore Verbinski, Johny Depp, Jerry Bucheimer creates the Pirates magic in West! Action packed, Entertaining and a Wonderful Journey of 2 and half hrs. Believe me, you will want for more. Johnny Depp is simply amazing!
  89. Jul 8, 2013
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie, and I never buy dvd's, or go to the movies twice, but I will and I did. My husband and my 10 year old loved it to. I recommend it to everyone. GREAT JOB DISNEY!!!! GREAT JOB JOHNNY DEPP, you both did something that I believe is movie making history. You educated, entertained, made me laugh, made me sad. GO SEE IT, NOW! Oh and I NEVER write reviews, but had toLOVE LOVE LOVE this movie, and I never buy dvd's, or go to the movies twice, but I will and I did. My husband and my 10 year old loved it to. I recommend it to everyone. GREAT JOB DISNEY!!!! GREAT JOB JOHNNY DEPP, you both did something that I believe is movie making history. You educated, entertained, made me laugh, made me sad. GO SEE IT, NOW! Oh and I NEVER write reviews, but had to stick up for this one. Expand
  90. Aug 1, 2013
    Having seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help thatHaving seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help that Depp/Tonto was pushed into the star role ahead of Hammer/Lone Ranger either.

Also, Wasn't this suppose to be a film aimed towards children? I mean it's by Disney and the people behind Pirates so you figured it'd be aimed to be more of a family film instead of a flat out action film filled with terrible jokes that were stale as hell! Instead we have the fun of witnessing 3 people brutally murdered in the beginning of the film. Not to mention people getting guns pushed into their face every 5 god damn seconds. This is NOT the kind of movie that you would take your young children to.

Overall, It was simply a joke of a film. I am so disappointed. I expected far better based off the trailers and this was simply garbage. I would be upset if I had actually wasted money to watch it.
  91. Jul 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst movie I have seen in the recent past. Johnny Depp brings us Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates and basically trades the leather pirate hat for a crow hat. He plays the same character with just a different name...no originality.
    I was a Lone Ranger TV fan, and hate this movie. The Lone Ranger in this movie did not use a gun, but in the tv show he used guns with silver bullets. You can't think of the Lone Ranger without hearing that famous music...but in the movie it is not even played until the last 15 minutes of this 2hr and 15 mins movie (awful). At the end the Lone Ranger finally rears his horse and starts to say his famous line..."Hi-Ho Silver!! Away!" but Tonto cuts him off and says "never do that again". The Lone Ranger was not awkward on TV and was not the side kick of Tonto. They didn't use what made the Lone Ranger iconic and the movie falls flat for me because of it.
    This movie was so bad that the best part of the movie is when the Lone Ranger and Tonto are sitting around a camp fire roasting a rabbit. Other rabbits start to gather around at the smell, Tonto tosses a piece of rabbit and the 20 gathered rabbits show their fang teeth and fight each other for the cooked rabbit. That got the most laughs from the audience...and is the sad truth about this movie. People wanted to like it, wanted to laugh, and looked for anything to laugh at or enjoy but there was nothing. Don't even rent this at Red Box when it comes out. I wouldn't watch this movie again if you paid for my ticket and popcorn. It was that bad.
  92. Aug 10, 2013
    This one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me from engaging more with the film.
  93. Jul 16, 2013
    The thing that made this movie so bad for me was the depressing contstant stream of good people getting killed by the bad guys, before they finally get their comeuppance in the end, including a whole village of Indians. When they show the bad guy slapping a little kid, that was the end for me. Meanwhile Tonto is some deranged mental case with a crow on his head, and the Lone Ranger isThe thing that made this movie so bad for me was the depressing contstant stream of good people getting killed by the bad guys, before they finally get their comeuppance in the end, including a whole village of Indians. When they show the bad guy slapping a little kid, that was the end for me. Meanwhile Tonto is some deranged mental case with a crow on his head, and the Lone Ranger is played stupidly like the main character in Green Hornet, which toatlly ruined that movie. Thumbs down! Expand
  94. Aug 22, 2013
    As Bender would say, Lone Ranger is simply fun on a bun.

As Bender would say, Lone Ranger is simply fun on a bun.

I'm not entirely sure what critics were expecting to see here, but it's clear they had the wrong head on. The plot is somewhat disjointed, but I fail to see that as a negative. If anything TLR does a more than worthy job of plotting the narrative of many different characters as the film steers toward the end. It's all predictable stuff, but, honestly, wasn't POTC? I fail to see how this is in any way inferior.

Depp, of course, is the main draw. He was always going to be. He more than makes up for the particularly weak portrayal of Lone Ranger, an actor I can only describe as some Brendon Fraser wannabe.

The laughs aren't abundant, nor are they clever, but Depp still delivers them with charm.

The runtime causes for some fatigue, and I would say there was a generally long section of desert crawling which could have been cut. And the anecdotal way the story was told at the beginning detracted the meaning somewhat.

Still, a very fun film. Far more bearable than The Man of Steel.
  95. Jul 8, 2013
    Saw this movie on a whim and have regretted spending money of this train wreck ever since. People who are giving this movie 10s are either Depp fans where he can do no wrong or Disney fans thinking the same. This movie suffers from a far to long running time this movie would probably be a good popcorn flick if they cut it down, but with the length it is at it just becomes a slog of theSaw this movie on a whim and have regretted spending money of this train wreck ever since. People who are giving this movie 10s are either Depp fans where he can do no wrong or Disney fans thinking the same. This movie suffers from a far to long running time this movie would probably be a good popcorn flick if they cut it down, but with the length it is at it just becomes a slog of the same ole same ole. I like Depp as an actor but again in this movie he plays what he has been playing since POTC he plays jack sparrow, but now more native American. This movie just became confused for what it wanted to be after a while did it want to be a comedy but its throwing a ton of "deep" thoughts in there but instead of meshing perfectly this movie just comes off a confused and mixed up movie who has no idea whats going on. Expand
  96. Jul 11, 2013
    for some weird reason the critics are saying this movie is not funny and un entertaining when i went to watch this movie and there was a funny scene everyone started laughing and at the end everyone was talking about how good it was, this movie is very funny and entertaining and probably one of the better movies that are going on right now
  97. Jul 14, 2013
    What a way to politically correct a film, Amazing what came with the PG-13 rating. A fully engaging movie. I think Disney did a good job with its stars but I almost skipped the movie because of the explicit use of Jonny Depp in their movies and this looked like a what if pirates of the Caribbean meets the desert version of pirates of the Caribbean.
  98. Jul 22, 2013
    "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" was panned by some critics (most notably at first Judith Crist) and had its champions like Pauline Kael. Now, over forty years since its release, this Western was my favorite of all time. Now it is a close second. "The Lone Ranger" is that good. Why critics panned the movie, including it is too long, is beyond me. It needed the last thirty minutes. When you see it"McCabe & Mrs. Miller" was panned by some critics (most notably at first Judith Crist) and had its champions like Pauline Kael. Now, over forty years since its release, this Western was my favorite of all time. Now it is a close second. "The Lone Ranger" is that good. Why critics panned the movie, including it is too long, is beyond me. It needed the last thirty minutes. When you see it you will have no question about that.

So it is that this marvelous imaginary Western takes its place as the story of how The Lone Ranger began. And shows again that Johnny Depp has no peer in film today. Wistful, fascinating, making the viewer wonder where the Imax version is and why after so much spent the film was not shot in Imax (maybe it was), this movie is at the top technological film making. Not one breath is wasted. Not one effect. And not one piece of humor.

So truly authentic you can imagine if you ever heard "Hi Yo, Silver! Away!" that this was the first it was said.

A pure 10. Do not miss this movie.
  99. Jul 6, 2013
    This movie has a nice atmosphere and characters. The storyline is decent though the movie length is overextended, it could be shorter. The movie is somewhat violent at times (I expected it to be more child-oriented-like). The movie is totally worth watching. If you doubt to watch it or not, just read about the filming process and the amount of work put into it it's really admirable.
  100. Jul 9, 2013
    Terrible. Wow, I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a movie that I did not have any previous connection too. Trailers looked good, looked fun and packed with historic relevance, no suck luck. Well, it was packed with hisorically relevance that was quickly turned into a joke. "Hey we just made an emotional impact about how the Native Americans were killed by the white man. HereTerrible. Wow, I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a movie that I did not have any previous connection too. Trailers looked good, looked fun and packed with historic relevance, no suck luck. Well, it was packed with hisorically relevance that was quickly turned into a joke. "Hey we just made an emotional impact about how the Native Americans were killed by the white man. Here is a horse in a hat, in a tree to lighten the mood two seconds later... oh and hey let's play the tacky but nostalgic theme music for twenty minutes straight in what could have been an awesome action scene if not for the music..." Tasteless and Soulless. Almost walked out. To quote Tonto, "Never Do that Again..." Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 8, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is content to simply pull another western trope out of the bag – the honky-tonk whorehouse, the ranch raid, the cavalry charge – give it a CGI spit-and-polish, and chuck it in the general direction of the audience. The result is frustrating, lazy and lifeless.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Aug 5, 2013
    Talk about a pleasant surprise! Real storytelling, well thought-out and beautifully, at times insanely, executed, with excitement, laughs and fun to make you feel seven years old again.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jul 29, 2013
    Ultimately, it’s not as awful as "Wild Wild West." But we’ll hazard a guess that Pirates 5 can’t come quick enough for Bruckheimer or Depp.