Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: July 3, 2013
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 638 Ratings
Watch Now
SpangleJan 13, 2017
Championed by director Quentin Tarantino and noted film critic Matt Zoller Seitz as a prime candidate for re-evaluation, I must say that I agree. With an knack for being over-the-top, The Lone Ranger may drag in spots, but is a tremendousChampioned by director Quentin Tarantino and noted film critic Matt Zoller Seitz as a prime candidate for re-evaluation, I must say that I agree. With an knack for being over-the-top, The Lone Ranger may drag in spots, but is a tremendous time with audacious action set pieces at every turn. The soon-to-be-famed train sequence at the end and the opening sequence on a different train are phenomenal. While the middle could be a bit better and the film does go on for far too long, The Lone Ranger is a fun film that feels like a throwback to the bombastic days of 1970s and 1980s blockbusters. Channeling childish energy and a sense of childlike wonder for the mystery of the film's hero, director Gore Verbinski creates a blockbuster movie that is out of place in year 2013.

Since the days of Steven Spielberg revolutionizing the blockbuster movie in the 1970s and 1980s with fun adventure films that more than satisfied adults and became nostalgia for kids of then and now, the blockbuster movie has changed. Now, the films are shot like television shows, have quips at every turn that distract from the action, and are easily digestable. They lack intrigue, a sense of adventure, and feel manufactured. Now, of course, a lot of this comes from the resurgence of the studio's power in the filmmaking and the death of the big budget auteur. Yet, director Gore Verbinski has shown an ability to operate with a big budget and still come out on top with his 2003 film Pirates of the Caribbean. Though its sequels have slacked and been overly manufactured, the original is a fun, bombastic, action-packed, and guilt-free excursion across the oceans with Jack Sparrow. Taking that same energy and sense of adventure and applying it to The Lone Ranger, Verbinski's film was met with incredible levels of ridicule in the United States. As mentioned, some of his peers and noted critics such as Seitz or those in Britain found great value in the film. This is no mistake as the film seems to have escaped those entrusted to critique it. Accustomed to the new age blockbusters, critics could not stomach this throwback to old school blockbusters. While recognizing its action set pieces, its flaws and plotholes became the focus and, as such, were easily derided. The sooner folks realize that every film is flawed and has plot holes, the happier we will all become and all those plot holes do is distract from the fun that the film conjures up. There is no going through the motions or checking off boxes here. Rather, Verbinski sets up John Reid (Armie Hammer) and Tonto (Johnny Depp) to have an audacious adventure in order to stop Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) and Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson), while saving Rebecca (Ruth Wilson). An old school premise and execution, The Lone Ranger is pure energy.

This energy really is infectious to watch. As said, the middle part of the film takes a bit too long to get through. This likely where the film loses people as the plotting is a bit much at times and can seem a bit convenient. Of course, the film never loses its sense of fun with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp having incredible chemistry with one another. Occasionally making light of their situations, the jokes always land, as does the Native American mysticism delivered by Tonto. Really setting the scene and marking the film as one about avenging the death of the Comanche tribe that Tonto was apart of, The Lone Ranger is essentially a lesson in the horrors committed against the Natives in the name of "progress". However, adding in mythology regarding the Natives that Tonto has made up as a coping mechanism, the film often becomes quite sad when you learn how Tonto wound up where he did. Yet, he is not as crazy as he seems as many of his "made up elements to explain the world" actually do explain things and allow the film as a whole to make a lot more sense. Though hardly realistic and decidedly over-the-top, the film is told as a story from Tonto to a young boy in 1933. As such, elements are likely exaggerated and exist solely to extend the legend of The Lone Ranger. Plus, the banter that it creates between Tonto and the Lone Ranger is always rich and rewarding with some great humor to it, as a result of their chemistry together and comic delivery.

The film also adds in some solid supporting characters in the form of characters such as Red (Helena Bonham Carter). Though underutilized, Red is a madame in a brothel with an ivory leg that she hides a gun in. A little bit crazy and unafraid to use her leg as a weapon, Red has some great comedy to her, largely thanks to Carter's performance. As the villains, Tom Wilkinson and William Fichtner are terrific. Wilkinson, portraying a cruel businessman after wealth, is calculating, smart, and unfeeling. As the brother of the businessman, Fichtner plays an outlaw wanted by the law. Brutal, cannibalistic, and truly evil, Fichtner plays a terrifically menacing bad guy that instills great fear in our hearts.
TVJerryJul 5, 2013
Yet another modern adaptation that details the creation of the myth (and sets us up for sequels). This time, a city-slicker prosecutor (Armie Hammer) dons the famous mask to team up with a multi-layered Tonto (would you expect anything lessYet another modern adaptation that details the creation of the myth (and sets us up for sequels). This time, a city-slicker prosecutor (Armie Hammer) dons the famous mask to team up with a multi-layered Tonto (would you expect anything less from Johnny Depp?). The plot revolves around the advancement of the railroad in the Old West and so do all 3 of the action sequences, which are full of daring do and spectacular stunts. The rest of the time is dialogue in the dessert…a lot of it.,,too much (this is 2.5 hrs). And it's often in jarring modern slang. While the leads are both OK and the movie never bores, it never captures the imagination or thrills the spirit. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 21, 2014
Not that bad. It's not perfect, but the movie has a lot of potential and is definitely better than the last few "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I wasn't expecting much considering the negative reviews and my lack of love for every "PiratesNot that bad. It's not perfect, but the movie has a lot of potential and is definitely better than the last few "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I wasn't expecting much considering the negative reviews and my lack of love for every "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie after the first, but overall while flawed the movie is still a decent, but non-essential watch. There are a lot of better ways to spend your time, but there is some fun to be had here.

The plot is pretty decent even if the movie treats it's main characters a goofballs who are impossible to take seriously. Literally The Lone Ranger and Tonto come across os what would typically be the comic relief characters in other movies, and the only reason they survive 90% of the events in the movie just comes down to shear luck. There are plenty of funny moments, and the action scenes can get pretty great at times, but it really is hard to take any of it seriously thank to how stupid the film treats it's two leads. That being said Johnny Depp's Tonto manages to be even more enjoyable than his "Jack Sparrow," which is an incredibly impressive feat.

Overall the film has a lot of flaws, and there are plenty of better movies to watch, but there are also tons of worse options and at least "The Lone Ranger" doesn't feel like a complete waste of time. I can't compare it to the original TV show it's based off of because I've never watched it, but I would have a hard time believing it does it that much justice at all. In the end though this movie isn't bad, just really flawed. I wouldn't recommend you go out and watch this over the tons of better options out there, but if you've got nothing better to watch this is an ok choice. Just don't expect to be blown away or particularly impressed, because it's just decent all around.
Compi24Jul 5, 2013
It's impossibly bloated and almost entirely thrown together, but thanks to the help of an appealing tone and two likable performance from Hammer and Depp, the "Lone Ranger" just barely makes it past watchable.
BrianMcCriticDec 20, 2013
Two and a half hours of nothing. There is very little character development and by the end you care about no one. It's not one of the worst movies of 2013 only because it's fairly well made but the length makes it unwatchable. D+
ThegodfathersonJul 3, 2013
Disney’s The Lone Ranger follows the origins of the masked rider, John Reid (Armie Hammer), and the events that lead him to become a symbol of justice in the Old West. After completing a law degree, Reid returns to his hometown, Colby, Texas,Disney’s The Lone Ranger follows the origins of the masked rider, John Reid (Armie Hammer), and the events that lead him to become a symbol of justice in the Old West. After completing a law degree, Reid returns to his hometown, Colby, Texas, to become the city’s government prosecutor and hold criminals accountable under United States law (along with a firm commitment to John Locke’s “Two Treatises of Government”). However, when his brother, Dan (James Badge Dale), is murdered in cold blood by ruthless outlaw Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) Reid realizes that some criminals operate above of the law and he turns to a different form of justice as a masked vigilante. As a tenuous peace between the Native American tribes and white settlers is threatened, the Lone Ranger must join forces with a heroic, though slightly offbeat, Comanche warrior, Tonto (Johnny Depp), who has spent years hunting Cavendish. Together, Reid and Tonto set out on a mission to investigate the circumstances that led to Dan’s death before more blood is spilled. In an effort to re-imagine the Lone Ranger as a modern blockbuster franchise, Disney turned to the team behind their highly-successful Pirates of the Caribbean series, including producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski, along with star Johnny Depp. Unfortunately, despite a number of strong individual components, the final Lone Ranger movie experience misses the bar (and longterm promise) established in the first Pirates of the Caribbean installment. For many audience members, Verbinski’s latest will likely succeed in delivering mindless summer entertainment with a number of humorous character moments, a quirky (albeit familiar) performance from Depp, and an elaborate third act set-piece. Yet, for all of the film’s successes, most of the core story arcs and action beats are either derivative or underwhelming misguided in attempts to piece together a blockbuster experience out of well-known parts. A flawed but often entertaining summer blockbuster experience, The Lone Ranger falls short as a sum of its promising individual parts. Unfortunately, the mixture of two likable leads and a cast of accomplished character actors, backed by highly-successful producers and a $200 million budget, based on a well-known pair of American heroes, doesn’t necessarily deliver a quality moviegoing experience. No doubt, certain audience members will thoroughly enjoy the bangs and gags in this Lone Ranger story but it’s still style over substance at nearly every turn, and fails to evolve or elevate the series canon in any meaningful (or particularly exciting) way. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 25, 2015
Gore Verbinski's "The Lone Ranger" does have way too much things going on its wandering plot and script, but hey, the movie is actually really enjoyable with Johnny Depp and his usual-comedic performances piecing this long action blockbusterGore Verbinski's "The Lone Ranger" does have way too much things going on its wandering plot and script, but hey, the movie is actually really enjoyable with Johnny Depp and his usual-comedic performances piecing this long action blockbuster something suitable as a family film of all ages to watch during the weekends. Expand
foxgroveDec 28, 2013
Unbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he isUnbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he is totally unrecognisable so good is the make up for his aged character. The cinematography is first rate and much enjoyment is generated from the outstanding stunt work on display aboard a fast moving train. Hans Zimmer intuitively ties everything up nicely via his perfectly fitting and, at times, beautifully melodic score. Expand
FranzHcriticAug 22, 2013
Not bad, but not stellar. Johnny Depp is the main drive, even though the whole script is convoluted and it's pacing droning on. But you can see it once and like it, see it twice and be done with it.
JacobJul 16, 2013
While I do not hate The Lone Ranger as much as the critics do I still did not love it. The movie had some good laughs, fun scenes, and a nice performance by Johnny Depp; but the interesting characters and story along with an unnecessary 2While I do not hate The Lone Ranger as much as the critics do I still did not love it. The movie had some good laughs, fun scenes, and a nice performance by Johnny Depp; but the interesting characters and story along with an unnecessary 2 hour running time prevent me from recommending this film to anyone. If you wind up seeing this movie though it is not terrible but at the same time there are more entertaining movies out right now that you could be seeing like Despicable Me 2 (which I have softened up a bit on), Monsters University (which made me smile a lot), and Pacific Rim & World War Z (which I have heard are really good). Or you could save up your money for the Wolverine. Again not a terrible movie I mean it is watchable but you can afford to skip this one. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I'm not familiar with the original material this film is based on, so I cannot say how close or far off it is to/from that.

Other than that, this is a standard Johnny Depp performance (with surprisingly little mannerism copied from Captain Jack Sparrow of The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise). Arnie Hammer stands on his own as John Reid the Lone Ranger, but it's clear who the star of the movie is.

The story is told from a rather unexpected viewpoint, which makes the plot a little quirkier, in an entertaining way.

This is your standard action flick with light-hearted banter and some of those flashy fighting scenes we've already seen a few times elsewhere. Some of them look extremely familiar.

The horse is funny, but mostly because Tonto says it's funny. (At some point the horse stops being a horse and becomes a comedic figure. That's kind of troublesome.)

All in all, an enjoyable movie that offers very little new, feels maybe a little dragged out but has a sufficient amount of action that it keeps you entertained all the way to the end - and keeps you from seeing all the deeply unsettling historical events that happen in the foreground.
MonkiReviewsJun 3, 2017
Don't believe the critics, it was good! It had a lot of funny moments when you couldn't stop laughing. I also thought the action was good, and had good effects. They had some boring parts though. Lastly, they had amazing actors. I would sayDon't believe the critics, it was good! It had a lot of funny moments when you couldn't stop laughing. I also thought the action was good, and had good effects. They had some boring parts though. Lastly, they had amazing actors. I would say to watch it. Expand
Movie1997Jul 5, 2013
For a movie like this, it's not really the story quality you'd expect. Sure it has its fun and exciting moments, but it never just completely comes together as a whole. The movie has some stupid moments which lingers on and on. It's basicallyFor a movie like this, it's not really the story quality you'd expect. Sure it has its fun and exciting moments, but it never just completely comes together as a whole. The movie has some stupid moments which lingers on and on. It's basically just all over the place, but somewhat manages to work. This is definitely more of a pop-corn flick (in which people will enjoy this movie for sure). But then if you're one of those who want not only fun action, but also containing good/quality moments, then you've just wasted your money. Also, it seems to me that Johnny Depp is playing an Indian/Native American version of Jack Sparrow. When I say that, I'm talking about his mannerisms and weird off putting dialogue. Armie Hammer on the other hand didn't really work for me that well. He just didn't convince me that he was "The Lone Ranger". The movie does contain some good old western memorabilia that i actually loved, but overall, it's a movie that just lingers on and off in storytelling. Expand
NerdConsultantDec 29, 2014
I want to like the Lone ranger I really do but this film fails so much. the actors are really not suited to there roles especially Armie Hammer as the title character and while Johnny Deep gets a good line every once in a while his TontoI want to like the Lone ranger I really do but this film fails so much. the actors are really not suited to there roles especially Armie Hammer as the title character and while Johnny Deep gets a good line every once in a while his Tonto seems way too close to his Jack Sparrow performance. some of the action sequences towards the end are good but with the film being too long and overcomplicated it's too little, too late Expand
hoops2448Sep 10, 2013
Much like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning homeMuch like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning home John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets Tonto (Johnny Depp) during a daring train jailbreak. When John is left for dead Tonto saves him and encourages him to become something outside the law, to become a Lone Ranger. Much like Verbinski's previous effort Rango, The Lone Ranger is a twist on the conventional western and doesn't quite feel like a western at all. The Lone Ranger feels like a remarkably smart kids film as almost everything in the film happens for the sake of comedy as the film rockets along with a light hearted tone. However the film does have some disturbing moments that give John and Tonto their justifications for their vendetta meaning there are moments when the film doesn't feel like a 12A at all but a 15 meaning there are moments that may not be suitable for children, especially a rather twisted torture scene early on in the film. It's a courageous film that goes against the stereotypical western formula to become its own beast, a fast paced revenge thriller that boasts more comedy than the average buddy comedy and still has room for exploding trains, gunfights and romance. A film that is trying to be spectacular and look incredible and despite a slow opening it pretty much achieves everything it sets out to do and more. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: While it was a bad film, it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. In fact, it had some decent moments and Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger was not the problem at all. The
"The Lone Ranger" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Depp was awful. I'm not sure what he was going for here, but it misses the mark. The humor also misses and was a distraction from an already weak plot. The film's 2:29 run time was way too long ... and felt even longer than it was.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
It isn't very good. But that does not mean that it doesn't have some cool entertaining scenes. It does not, however, live up to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The script is pretty bland and its runtime is too long.
survivorfan989Jul 21, 2013
It's very 'Pirates' but that's not a bad thing as I was obviously highly entertained Visually there is plenty here to keep you amused and thanks to characters like Depp and Hammer you are never bored. As long as you keep reminding yourselfIt's very 'Pirates' but that's not a bad thing as I was obviously highly entertained Visually there is plenty here to keep you amused and thanks to characters like Depp and Hammer you are never bored. As long as you keep reminding yourself not to take it too seriously you should enjoy this movie like I did. It is probably a little longer than it should be but other than that there is little to pick on what is pretty much nothing but a fun ride of a film! Expand
sanyrubDec 15, 2013
It´s decent. It´s not as bad as everyone wants to make it seem, and not not too good either. Great things are some amazing and fun action scenes, the cinematography and the score (Hans Zimmer as always doing a great job). Overall it´sIt´s decent. It´s not as bad as everyone wants to make it seem, and not not too good either. Great things are some amazing and fun action scenes, the cinematography and the score (Hans Zimmer as always doing a great job). Overall it´s entertaining, which makes it get a pass from me. But there are some really bad things. Jonny Depp character is just too silly and his acting here is not good. Armie Hammer does a decent job (in fact I checked this movies thanks to him, I really liked his performance in Clint Eastwood´s "J. Edgar" with Leo DiCaprio). And there are too many silly moments mixing modern things with how the world worked back then. It doesn´t work. Still a fun watch. Expand
oblique15Apr 26, 2014
Critics are being way to hard on this movie. I thought it was pretty good. At first it looks like it might be to silly, but for the most part it`s serious.I was even surprised to see some of the violence in a Disney movie.It`s a great adventure.
Nesbitt10Dec 16, 2013
Disney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, itDisney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billion dollars), by simply cloning his previous lucrative endeavor. "The Lone Ranger” suffers from an overly elaborate plot that contains a muddled sense of humor peppered with moments of out-of-place violence. The movie has an encouraging start, but slips into a lethargic second act, and ultimately ends as an overblown mess that goes on far too long.

The year is 1869 and the first transcontinental railroad is nearing completion. As Texas-born attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) is traveling home from college, when the train he is on is hijacked by a band of outlaws who have come to free their cannibalistic leader Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) from custody. John joins his brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and the rest of the Texas Rangers to track him down, but Butch Cavendish ambushes the group of men en route, and leaves them to perish in the desert.

Left for dead, John receives aid from a Comanche Indian named Tonto (Johnny Depp), whose life John saved in an earlier encounter at the behest of a white spirit horse. Both men want to bring Cavendish to justice for their own reasons, so they decide to team up, with John donning a mask to hide his identity. But on their quest to take down Cavendish and his men, the pair uncovers a larger plot involving railroad tycoon Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) that could spell trouble for the native tribes.

The erratic nature of the storytelling really hurts the overall result, especially when the film already feels cluttered and completely overblown. While the movie has some enjoyable, entertaining moments, the second act of the film loses steam feeling lifeless and dull when it takes itself far too seriously. Additionally confusing is the handful of dark and violent moments that are present in a summer blockbuster family friendly movie. Another significant issue is the excruciatingly long runtime, which clocks in at tiresome 150 minutes.

A mixed bag of conflicting films all in one, "The Lone Ranger" is occasionally entertaining, yet ultimately disappointing. Deviating between violence, gruesome villains, and silly humor, the film never quite figures out what it wants to be and when to call it quits.
LoRevisorJan 19, 2015
Um dos melhores filmes da Disney,Gore Verbinsky tem grandes êxitos feito,porém apenas três foram reconhecidos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl 2003,The Ring 2002 e Rango 2011,deveriam reconhece The Mexican 2001,PiratesUm dos melhores filmes da Disney,Gore Verbinsky tem grandes êxitos feito,porém apenas três foram reconhecidos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl 2003,The Ring 2002 e Rango 2011,deveriam reconhece The Mexican 2001,Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest 2006 e The Lone Ranger embora Pirates of the Caribbean 3:At Worlds End 2007 seja ótimo também.
Um filme incompreendido ou "fodido" de propósito por causa das polêmicas críticas de Johnny Depp sobre os EUA.
Confesso em certas partes o filme falha,mas é um dos filmes mais divertidos de assistir,grandes cenas de ação muito engraçado,escrito,e atuado Créditos aos brilhantes roteiristas Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,e Créditos a atuações de Armie Hammer,Johnny Depp,William Fitchner e Tom Wilkinson.
Excelente Filme!!!
StaticSpineJul 6, 2013
This movie has a nice atmosphere and characters. The storyline is decent though the movie length is overextended, it could be shorter. The movie is somewhat violent at times (I expected it to be more child-oriented-like). The movie is totallyThis movie has a nice atmosphere and characters. The storyline is decent though the movie length is overextended, it could be shorter. The movie is somewhat violent at times (I expected it to be more child-oriented-like). The movie is totally worth watching. If you doubt to watch it or not, just read about the filming process and the amount of work put into it it's really admirable. Expand
BogKidJan 30, 2014
The DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here theThe DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here the writers and actors and crew laughing together and saying, "This is really funny." It isn't! Expand
mrmonsterJan 12, 2014
I don't understand why the critics thought it was so bad (apparently 300 don't either). It was a god movie, and I wish it didn't do so horribly at the box office. It was action packed and hilarious. Why the heck were the critics so harsh.
python2000Jan 3, 2014
Possibly the hardest movie to critique I have ever seen, I can't decide whether I think this is Rotten or not! 60% of the movie is Johnny Depp playing the same character he always plays and out of place euphemisms, while the other 40% is aPossibly the hardest movie to critique I have ever seen, I can't decide whether I think this is Rotten or not! 60% of the movie is Johnny Depp playing the same character he always plays and out of place euphemisms, while the other 40% is a ridiculously entertaining but unintelligent action movie full of huge machine guns and trains which can defy the laws of physics. Every time that unforgettable and universally recognised theme song comes on you start enjoying it and then it goes back too Johnny Depp being the same unfunny character he always plays and Armie Hammer being quite annoying actually. I'll give it 3 stars because of how amazingly enjoyable the action sequences are. Expand
JohnMasterLJan 4, 2015
No entiendo porque tantas criticas negativas... La película no es perfecta, pero es super entretenida, la primera hora es brillante, las secuencias son geniales, la hora y media que resta después tiene sus fallos, pero no son horribles, y laNo entiendo porque tantas criticas negativas... La película no es perfecta, pero es super entretenida, la primera hora es brillante, las secuencias son geniales, la hora y media que resta después tiene sus fallos, pero no son horribles, y la secuencia final del tren pff... increíble. No juzguen ni se dejen llevar por las criticas sin antes de ver (ese fue mi error). Expand
DarkCriticJul 7, 2013
The Lone Ranger is a knockoff of "Pirates of the Caribbean" flick, but very weak. It's almost the same problem as "Man of Steel" does and this movie is way too dark, way too broad, and way too underwhelm. The story takes place I 1869 where weThe Lone Ranger is a knockoff of "Pirates of the Caribbean" flick, but very weak. It's almost the same problem as "Man of Steel" does and this movie is way too dark, way too broad, and way too underwhelm. The story takes place I 1869 where we meet John Reid (Armie Hammer) is visiting to see his brother and his wife at Texas, until he meets bad outlaws to capture Butch Cavendish from prisoner and he meets a local Indian warrior named Tonto (Johnny Depp). So he and his brother must find bad outlaws in the desert, until his brother and his men where dead. Reid was saved from Tonto to bring back alive and he teams up with Tonto to face bad outlaws from justice, so he wears a black mask and becomes "The Lone Ranger." We've seen too much Johnny Depp's performance like his face expressions and other roles he's been done lately, but Johnny Depp is miscast as Tonto. Tonto is the same formula as that they borrowed from Jack Sparrow roles like he done in Pirates of the Caribbean series. Depp turns very ugly and acting like a Indian stereotypical of Tim Burton's Indian Zombie and I guess that the creators want Johnny Depp to play a weak supporting role. Armie Hammer is alright in his role, but not very memorable because they forgot to stay focus on the character instead of Johnny Depp and they shouldn't just called "The Lone Ranger and His Tonto." That's what is all about, The Lone Ranger is based on the classic TV series and comes along with his adventures. The characters are recycled from Pirates of the Caribbean stereotypes and also the villains are so forgettable. Not only that, the movie is also too bloody and too dark for a Disney action flick, I don't if the movie makes it promise to the audience and there's couple of scenes where they get killed, shot, and murdered in each battle scenes. There's one scene where the train gets switch into a next rail or next train is pretty entertaining that takes only 10 or 12 minutes in the final act. Outside of that, this movie is pretty weak and we're watching the same formula like the first Pirates of the Caribbean does and they shouldn't call it "Cowboys of the Dessertain." Thumbs Down. Expand
SimpleMethodJul 5, 2013
The Lone Ranger is one of those movies that reminds how important of a role the editor plays in making a film. Now first off, I really disagree with critics. This film is garnering a lot of hate which is quite ridiculous, as I found it to beThe Lone Ranger is one of those movies that reminds how important of a role the editor plays in making a film. Now first off, I really disagree with critics. This film is garnering a lot of hate which is quite ridiculous, as I found it to be typical summer movie fun, that doesn't quite live up to the standards of Pirates. There are two main limps that drag the film down. Its runtime, and the plot. The movie should really be about 30-45 minutes shorter, but that's a lesser complaint. The real problem is how tonally inconsistent the plot is. There will be moments when the villain cuts organs out of deceased bodies, and then immediately after there is humor from Tonto. It feels like the Lone Ranger and Tonto are in one movie, and this evil, menacing villain is in another. Also, this is surprisingly dark for a Disney movie. The villain is scary and cuts out and eats people's hearts,(brought to you by Disney, ha ha!) and even though it's being marketed as one, it isn't a family friendly movie. I went with my 7 year old brother and he could handle it, but he's got balls of steel so read reviews before taking your kids. Despite all my gripes, I found the Lone Ranger to be engaging summer fare that was just a bit too long. Expand
JmsbppOct 30, 2013
pelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentarpelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentar hacer valer un muy mediocre trabajo Expand