Looper

7.9

1. Sep 17, 2013
    Looper starts out great. The plot is fresh and original, the acting is pretty good, Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a hell of a lot like an actual young Bruce Willis, and the movie goes from there, with JGL trying to chase his "future self" through the present. This movie is complex, but once you hit Nirvana with the idea, like Inception, you will understand everything.

As Levitt chases his

As Levitt chases his future self through the world, he stumbles across a farmhouse, and there lies Emily Blunt. From that point in the movie --a little under halfway-- the plot shifts, and is all about Blunt's son. (I won't spoil what happens anymore).I hated this plot shift as the focus of the movie veered off the side of the road of getting to the intended finale. other than this, the movie isn't half bad.
  2. Aug 27, 2015
    "Looper" is a refreshing action thriller that shines from a original and clever script, clean cinematography, and skilled acting from both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's definitely a one-of-its-kind movie.
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    Rian Johnson takes you from this world and pulls into the world of Looper. Johnson's films are unlike those of other filmmakers, because they are so surreal.
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    You can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories, that mainly star JGL, however Looper is much easier to follow than most of Johnson's other films. While I'm not his biggest fan, his attention to detailYou can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories, that mainly star JGL, however Looper is much easier to follow than most of Johnson's other films. While I'm not his biggest fan, his attention to detail has always really stood out to me and is perhaps never more evident than in Looper. Johnson actually used make-up and special effects to make JGL resemble a young Bruce Willis, which I found to be ingenious. Not to be overlooked is of course how clever a story Looper is, as it blends together time travel and the mafia. In the future, time travel has been invented, but like every other good thing, it is illegal. The mafia controls time travel and uses it as a weapon to commit murder. In this future world, it is impossible to dispose of a body, so the mafia sends their targets back in time where they are met an executed by a hired gun, known as a looper. The performances are of course top notch, Willis, the action star of a generation, only gets better with age, and JGL is the simply put the hardest working, most under appreciated actor in all of Hollywood. To be completely honest, this intriguing, action-packed, thriller was not as good as I expected it to be, and I really didn't care for the way in ended. That being said, it is still a great film that is definitely worth your while. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2015
    Featuring great acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, and Jeff Daniels, Looper is an incredibly original and bold film that you do not see made very often nowadays, so for this one, I am grateful. Blessed with a great concept and very interesting design for the future, Looper has some great direction and writing from Rian Johnson. Looper has some very goodFeaturing great acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, and Jeff Daniels, Looper is an incredibly original and bold film that you do not see made very often nowadays, so for this one, I am grateful. Blessed with a great concept and very interesting design for the future, Looper has some great direction and writing from Rian Johnson. Looper has some very good action sequences, but its real strengths are from its heady science fiction thrills and from the emotional impact it has on you. In addition, it also has some interesting things to say on the nature of evil in our world, as well as the importance of family and love. When it comes to the time travel feature of the film, it is not afraid to raise questions about what time travel really means. Do things keep repeating and we are powerless to stop them? Are we able to change our futures by altering our pasts? These questions are a few of many that come up, but for a major motion picture, Looper certainly is risky, not just in its willingness to test its audience, but in the fact that it was made at all. Thankfully, it paid off in spades and did quite well financially, but most importantly, it is a really great film. Fun, smart, and original, Looper is easily one of the best sci-fi films of the 2010s. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2013
    One of the best sci-fi movies in years. Rian Johnson is a very talented director that previously made the outstanding film Brick, shows the combo of himself and Joseph Gordon Levitt is a winning one.
  7. Oct 1, 2012
    The first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I give the film credit for attempting to go big with the attempt. Again, the story of the boy is really interesting, but I expected aThe first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I give the film credit for attempting to go big with the attempt. Again, the story of the boy is really interesting, but I expected a grander path for the film after the first hour or so. It's great to see Piper Perabo in a slightly racier role than her Covert Affairs persona. Expand
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    Loopers are killers for hire - only they're tasked to get rid of the targets sent to them from the future. Easy gigs - as long as you don't let your target escape.

The story starts a little slow, then picks up speed when Joe finally misses his target - himself. Which means in thirty-odd years, he'll be sent back to be killed by his younger self. Only his old self isn't willing to be taken down so easily.

There is a plot inside the plot, which is definitely better than the original plot you keep expecting from the beginning; when the two Joe's come to some kind of understanding, that something's going on in the future that started here in the past, they begin to uncover the truth behind all the dying Loopers. They might not be moving towards a common goal but they still head that way.

There's a decent amount of action as well as good story-telling; you couldn't tell how things are going to end. That's definitely one of the best qualities of the film because it keeps you on your toes to the end.

The effects are nice, giving the movie a very realistic feel.
  9. Jan 12, 2013
    Looper is a really good sci-fi/action thriller. Although the second half of the film tapers off towards the end, the film is held together by a solid concept, great direction, and good performances, even if some things are left unanswered.
  10. Aug 13, 2015
    One of the best Bruce Willis performance and probably one of the best Bruce Willis movie I have seen in a long time. The story is original and the acting in general is really good.Joseph Gordon-Levitt is absolutely stunning and the movie overall is surprisingly good.
  11. Apr 25, 2013
    You might just take Looper at first glance as what it says in all the marketing and synopsis material, with time travel now being possible, large crime syndicates send their targets back in time to be executed by Loopers, hired guns who can dispose of the bodies a lot easier than they can in the future.
    But what is shown in the film is so much more than that, and it plays out into a brilliant, yet not perfect, sci-fi thriller.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as Joe, one of these Loopers, and when he isn't being hired to kill someone from the future, he is stashing away the silver bricks, his payment, and only cashes in a few, and by night he parties and takes drugs, until his next assassination. Gordon-Levitt has had prosthetics and make-up applied to his face to look like a younger version of, well, himself, but actually Bruce Willis, who plays the future Joe, sent back in time to be killed, and of course when this goes wrong, the simple rule has been disobeyed, never let your loop get away.
    But in the bigger picture, Old Joe is back to try and prevent a tragic event in his own life, and he can only do so in Young Joe's time, and that lies within a small boy, Cid, played by Pierce Gagnon, and this kid truly puts in a wonderful performance, he is perhaps the best thing about this film and his acting and manner is fantastic, and of course a plot twist just adds to the heightened drama.
    The whole cast, including Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels, are on fine form, a Looper truly does portray a different sort of dystopian future that we are used to seeing in cinema these days. But while the film is smart and clever in its original idea, this perhaps could be its biggest downfall. The amount of plot holes after watching it second time are just too big to ignore or not give notice to, they don't exactly ruin what is a entertaining film, but on occasion it just seems all for nothing when you realise what other way it could have went. With such a complex idea, there was always going to be a slip up along the way for writer/director Rain Johnson.
    Aside from this, there are enough twists and turns to keep you entertained for two hours, and Gordon-Levitts similarities to Bruce Willis including his gruff, soft-spoken voice are mind-boggling.
    An excellent, albeit flawed thriller, which offers realism, while also poking fun the odd time on what other films try so hard to be serious about, definitely see Looper.
  12. Jan 8, 2014
    Despite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film is shot well. If you want a good fim to watch go check this one out it is pretty good.
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    Such a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it. They didn't try to explain anything about the science of it, which I was fine with, but I felt that they nailed the concept. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did anSuch a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it. They didn't try to explain anything about the science of it, which I was fine with, but I felt that they nailed the concept. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an amazing job, not only acting but as portraying a young Bruce Willis. Obviously the make-up department deserves credit for the look but JGL mastered all of the mannerisms and the style of talking. Very impressive performance on his behalf. And I love Emily Blunt so her being in the film is a nice bonus, plus it's nice to see her take on a slightly different role from her typical typecast. The only negative in the film, in my opinion, was the telekinesis element. I thought it was a really silly aspect of the film and didn't need to be in there at all. The Rainmaker, could've easily been portrayed to be a genius child, not a borderline superhuman. That's really the only part of the film that was mediocre. Looper is definitely a movie that I think most people would enjoy. Some will probably find it challenging to follow but those that follow it well will surely consider it entertaining. Expand
  14. Dec 31, 2012
    Possibly the kick ass film of the year! A good story with steady-state suspense and pounding action, a great cast with marvelous acting and a bravado director delivering a film of immaculate style and elegance.
  15. Aug 8, 2013
    Looper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get theLooper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get the feeling that information is being thrown at you to help you with comprehending. It has good acting even in little supporting roles, distances itself from typical Hollywood movies with sometimes long dialogue sequences but also several wordless shots, and has absolutely sightly visuals. It profits from the self-ironic approach of director Rian Johnson and its little flaws can be forgiven. Due to all of that, it becomes a movie that you are definitely going to remember and that you will do well in buying on DVD or Blu-Ray since watching it a second time and then fully grasping everything that's going on is just as much fun as the first time. Expand
  16. Oct 1, 2012
    I love Sci Fi, and like all the actors in this film, so I was looking forward to seeing it. It was a mixed bag for me. The film kept me interested, but turned out to be more about the telekinetic kid than anything else. The child, played by Pierce Gagnon, is one of the best child performances I've ever seen in a film. He is absolutely mesmerizing. Unfortunately, the film ended upI love Sci Fi, and like all the actors in this film, so I was looking forward to seeing it. It was a mixed bag for me. The film kept me interested, but turned out to be more about the telekinetic kid than anything else. The child, played by Pierce Gagnon, is one of the best child performances I've ever seen in a film. He is absolutely mesmerizing. Unfortunately, the film ended up feeling more like a "demon seed" scary film rather than an intriguing Sci Fi film. I did not care for the whole telekinesis angle which seemed tacked on, and there is a sex scene in the film which was ridiculous and unnecessary. There was also inconsistencies which made no sense. The younger looper always shot and killed the future loopers the instance they appeared, and for some unexplained reason when the older version of himself appeared he hesitated before shooting. There was also some very slow moments throughout the film. Not a bad film, but it won't be a Blu Ray purchase. Expand
  17. Sep 28, 2012
    How would you like to sit in a diner having steak and scrambled eggs with a version of yourself, but 30 years older, who also orders steak and scrambled eggs? How would you like to be Bruce Willis surrounded by 20 men with guns and you kill them all but can
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    Looper is an original, inventive and incredibly entertaining film that is both well-made and well acted, but it does suffer from some dumb little errors. But those errors aside, Looper is plenty of great fun.
  19. Dec 21, 2014
    From the unknown director: Rian Johnson comes Looper. A clean and original sci-fi film that got a tough script and much boring stuff.

The first thing that truly makes this film incredible is the sci-fi and action; it’s so cool and entertaining. The film is a challenge for the brain from the start and throughout the film, which is great because it do raise questions with the audience. Looper is a great time-travel film that’s unique in it’s own way. The story: that a future man travels back in time to stop his wife from being killed is a classic, and the high pace of action is awesome. The structure of the film is very similar with J.J Abrams’s Star Trek and other films; we see similar lens-flares, touching soundtrack and action at a high tempo. There are a bunch of unique things in Looper, but I wish there could have been more. That’s because it’s not a clean and original film due to the influence from J.J. The script is another thing that could have been done better; the conversations are slow and boring, and the film overall is boring. I wish there could have happened even more awesome things in Looper, because the film do have an incredible cast, spectacular CGI and a touching story. The opening scene is just as great as the ending, but my only wish is that there could have been more unique.

This is a classic time-travel film, but unfortunately there are much slow and boring scenes and there could have happened much more.

Looper gets a 7/10.
  20. Dec 26, 2012
    It's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economy collapses giving way to widespread organized crime. In 2074, time travel is invented but immediately prohibited. Because of advanced tracking systems inIt's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economy collapses giving way to widespread organized crime. In 2074, time travel is invented but immediately prohibited. Because of advanced tracking systems in place, disposing of murder victims isn't possible, which in turn creates a "new" market and profession. Hence "Looper." Tilted camera angles, upside-down shots, super slow-motion; Johnson toys with experimental cinematography with formidable results. A fantastic time travel sci-fi thriller that is firmly character based, and not just solely relying on special effects or time travel. Rian's directing art house style is evident but it's also blended with some mainstream elements not seen much in previous films such as "'Brick". What flaws this film may possess can be easily absolved because the overall experience is extraordinary. Expand
  21. Dec 1, 2013
    An intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feelAn intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feel fleshed out and all have extremely well rounded personalities. (This is no Prometheus.) Action is rarely this exhilaratingly brutal. None of it feels like filler here. Every last shot and every fight is embedded with incendiary energy. While the movie is extremely well acted and decently unique it still lacks the weight to be a masterpiece, but I'm not exactly sure why. The fault may lie in its futuristic world. A lot of the environments seemed unimaginative and I kept yearning for this future to catch up to the narrative in terms of creativity and awe. That's not to say that the film lacks atmosphere. It's just missing that extra spark to make it incredible. Still, it's definitely worth seeing, and is head and shoulders above most action fare. Expand
  22. Feb 15, 2013
    The pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had done or was capable of, and I wouldn't have minded if they had added ten, fifteen minutes to shed light on his character. Gordon-Levitt earned some respectThe pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had done or was capable of, and I wouldn't have minded if they had added ten, fifteen minutes to shed light on his character. Gordon-Levitt earned some respect from me for his performance. Somehow I also enjoyed watching Willis. Blunt was surprisingly good too. All in all, this is one of the best sci-fi flicks I've ever seen. Expand
  23. Jun 4, 2013
    "Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually use your mind." B+
  24. Sep 29, 2012
    Looper is an exciting and intriguing science fiction film; even if some of it's shots are cliche and there may be a few plot holes. It is a film that had me from it's opening shots and pulled me through different tones and pacing but I say this in a good way. The first act set up the themes, world and complexeties of the story even if it's not directly related to the rest. It is not a filmLooper is an exciting and intriguing science fiction film; even if some of it's shots are cliche and there may be a few plot holes. It is a film that had me from it's opening shots and pulled me through different tones and pacing but I say this in a good way. The first act set up the themes, world and complexeties of the story even if it's not directly related to the rest. It is not a film that solely relies on it's concept; above all Looper is about characters and the moral decisions they have to make. Expand
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    A very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis getting that majority of the screen time. I also liked Emily Blunt as Sara, Jeff Daniels as Abe and the young Pierce Gagnon as Cid. Although it did many thingsA very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis getting that majority of the screen time. I also liked Emily Blunt as Sara, Jeff Daniels as Abe and the young Pierce Gagnon as Cid. Although it did many things right I did feel it was a little unevenly paced in places. It seemed to get a little bogged down in the dialogue which slowed it down a little too much a couple of times. Other than that I found it quite enthralling and one I’d happily watch again sometime.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.6/10
  26. Oct 17, 2012
    I've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just had 2 minor flaws. It got a little bit boring a few times throughout the film but it was recovered quickly each time and it seemed a bit overly long butI've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just had 2 minor flaws. It got a little bit boring a few times throughout the film but it was recovered quickly each time and it seemed a bit overly long but when you think about it there really wasn't a scene you could take out so i'll give Looper a 9.5/10. This is definitely the biggest surprise of 2012 for me, i didn't expect much from this film. I just expected another dumb time-travel involved film, but this one actually had an amazing plot that was near perfectly executed. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2012
    Pretty good Sci-Fi time travel flick in the vein of 'Twelve Monkeys', starring Bruce Willis. Joseph Gordon Levitt is great here as usual, but I found the film a bit over-rated. If you've seen a lot of these time travel stuffs, you know where it's heading, and the whole film is practically a set up for the ending.
  28. Oct 9, 2012
    Johnson deals with the subtext with no one bothers to... Looper is so original and unique, albeit not so in delivery, it is the best sci-fi yarn in years.
  29. Sep 29, 2012
    The most interesting Movie of 2012 by far. The storyline is just great. If the middle of the wasn't a bit overextended, I think I'd give it a 10. The Movie is full of memorable characters, the actors play well. Also the ending is really intense!
  30. Feb 11, 2013
    Writer/director Rian Johnson has hit the big time with Looper, a really polished and original clever sci-fi thriller that succeeds by focusing more on its characters and slick action than tying the narrative in loops to explain the intricacies of time travel. In fact the film makes it clear that the time travel discussion is off the table, Willis makes this point abundantly clear to hisWriter/director Rian Johnson has hit the big time with Looper, a really polished and original clever sci-fi thriller that succeeds by focusing more on its characters and slick action than tying the narrative in loops to explain the intricacies of time travel. In fact the film makes it clear that the time travel discussion is off the table, Willis makes this point abundantly clear to his younger self when the pair discuss their past/future in another great American diner scene. It simply isn't allowed to distract from the film. The action is stylish and the film carries a genuine sense of almost low budget indie cool throughout. Armed with his awesome blunderbuss, Gordon-Levitt copes with playing a lead action man well and is ably supported by Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt. Blunt, in particular, gives a strong performance as a single mother resolutely protecting her son.

I have seen some comments to the contrary, but I found the film's ending to be excellent and thought provoking.
  31. Jan 16, 2013
    Thank god that the National Board of Review seems to have common sense still with giving "Looper" the Best Original Screenplay award. This film is AMAZING. It is a "Inception 2.0" of sorts, but even more action-packed. Is that the possible downfall of it in the awards circuit? Maybe. I'll admit, I've been rather limited in my 2012 film watching (so far), but this has been my secondThank god that the National Board of Review seems to have common sense still with giving "Looper" the Best Original Screenplay award. This film is AMAZING. It is a "Inception 2.0" of sorts, but even more action-packed. Is that the possible downfall of it in the awards circuit? Maybe. I'll admit, I've been rather limited in my 2012 film watching (so far), but this has been my second favourite film of the year (right after "Argo"). The screenplay, as noted, is extremely well done with an intelligent idea and exceedingly good dialogue. Bruce Willis is great in action films, and he does the same here. Ms Blunt is a great actress and she keeps her head high with this performance. The best, however, is the work of the makeup department and Mr Gordon-Levitt. Wow. That was a great and totally out-of-character performance for his usual self. Finally, I can see him as a serious actor. So, what more does one need than a great screenplay and great cast? Technical aspects? Those are covered too. It's just a good film. No. It's a great film. There is no way about it. One of the best of the year. Expand
  32. Sep 30, 2012
    Time travel is confusing. Once you think you may have a grasp on it and have ironed out the 'what-ifs', a new paradox will pop up and collapse your argument which was a house of cards anyways. There are too many holes, and especially plot holes, when you try to rationally reason through what it means to travel through time and change the past. Once time travel is invented, hasn't itTime travel is confusing. Once you think you may have a grasp on it and have ironed out the 'what-ifs', a new paradox will pop up and collapse your argument which was a house of cards anyways. There are too many holes, and especially plot holes, when you try to rationally reason through what it means to travel through time and change the past. Once time travel is invented, hasn't it always been invented then? If you go back in time and change something, will you just disappear because your specific future no longer exists?

Looper sidesteps this whole enigma by having old Joe (Bruce Willis) tell his younger self that there is no use trying to figure it all out; it will just confuse you. This one statement immediately smooths out the conversation he is having with young Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the audience's mental gymnastics, and while still leaving them right there in front of you, chooses to ignore the Grand Canyon sized plot holes. If you spend enough time with a pen and a sheet of paper, you will most likely identify a dozen or so glaring issues with jumping back through time, but where is the fun in that? With Looper, it is enough to recognize you have a creative story to watch and gifted actors to watch carry it out.

The year is 2044, not so far in the future to imagine teleportation and interstellar flight, but far enough to dream up new technology, weapons, and illicit drugs. 2044 is quite similar to today's reality, but its every day norms and today's extreme edges magnified by 1000. There are hover motorcycles, currency is literally based on gold and silver, and the drug all the kids are using is administered through eyedrops and appears to have the effects as cocaine. There is also some glaring income inequality, you either have money or you do not; there is no middle class. The city landscape shows thousands of people living on the sidewalks and sometimes in the middle of the street. If someone steals from you, it looks like you are allowed to pull out your personal shotgun and teach them a severe lesson. Young Joe is a looper. At a specific time and always in the same place, the edge of a corn field, a hooded person will appear out of nowhere and all Joe has to do is immediately pull the trigger on his weapon and get rid of the body. These unfortunate souls are being sent back through time from 30 years in the future where time travel is illegal; therefore, it has morphed into a black market time travel system run by the mob. Young Joe is paid handsomely to do these simple tasks and spends the rest of his day and most of the night going to a club to drink, dance, take drugs, and spend time with Suzie (Piper Perabo), his favorite lady of the evening. There are rules to follow though. Since the system is run by the mob, breaking the rules is frowned upon. I will not go into the rules because young Joe does a good job explaining to you what they are. In his film noir, gravelly voice, which is trying to match a young Bruce Willis in style, Joe opens the movie and brings you up to speed on what has been happening with the time travel business and his specific spot on the food chain. He has looper friends with Seth (Paul Dano) as his closest one and he gets called in to see the boss, Abe (Jeff Daniels), from time to time. Other than that, young Joe is really running his own loop with his day job and his nightly activities.

Old Joe effectively ends that routine as soon as he pops into the corn field out of thin air. One would think that young Joe would have some questions or would want to cut his older self some slack, but no such luck. Young Joe enjoys his current situation and is in no frame of mind to have it messed with, even if it is a version of him doing the interrupting. Old Joe is on a quest to change the past and does not seem too pleased to run into his former self either. These two are the same man, but they certainly are different people. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really the leading man here because Willis is in more of a supporting role and has noticeably less screen time; however, Bruce still gets top billing on the poster and in the credits. I wonder if that chafes Gordon-Levitt? Both Gordon-Levitt and Willis are very good here. On one hand, they are playing the same person and must try and match each other's facial ticks and mannerisms, but on the other hand, Gordon-Levitt is playing a kid against Willis's older and yes, wiser, character. Another supporting character is Sara (Emily Blunt) but I leave it to you to discover her role. Sara is saddled with most of the slower scenes in the middle which drag on a bit, but it's good to take a break from Joe, both young and old, after awhile. Looper was written and directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) who should be commended for sitting down and puzzling through what must have been a very arduous screenplay.
  33. Jan 27, 2013
    Looper is a really good movie! Great special effects and a great story. The best thing about Looper is that it perfectly mixes story and action making it a must see! I'd highly recommend it to anyone so long as they don't have an extreme hate of the Sci-fi genre!
  34. Nov 6, 2012
    First of all, let me take a moment to praise outstanding work done by the director and writer of this movie, Rian Johnson. I have watched a lot of science-fiction films that incorporate the elements of time travel and in the beginning, this movie seems like any other typical science-fiction film but it has a lot of surprises, the amount of creativity that has been put in the making of thisFirst of all, let me take a moment to praise outstanding work done by the director and writer of this movie, Rian Johnson. I have watched a lot of science-fiction films that incorporate the elements of time travel and in the beginning, this movie seems like any other typical science-fiction film but it has a lot of surprises, the amount of creativity that has been put in the making of this film. Looper is a remarkable and beautiful film, with astounding performances by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Young Joe Simmons), Bruce Willis (Old Joe Simmons), Emily Blunt (Sara Rollins) and Pierce Gagnon (Sara Expand
  35. Oct 1, 2012
    I loved this movie. It has an original take on a dirty future that does not require old blade runner sets remade. It handles the time travel stuff perfect. Not to mention it has Bruce Willis and a some machine guns, what is not to like.
  36. Oct 10, 2012
    The first half was much better than the second half. Once Willis arrives and we got to the farmhouse, I knew how the movie was going to end. The first part about the concept of looters was intriguing but could have used a little more "Blade Runner" styling. The second half degenerated into the Terminator again and was quite predictable. The film should have been focused on the unseenThe first half was much better than the second half. Once Willis arrives and we got to the farmhouse, I knew how the movie was going to end. The first part about the concept of looters was intriguing but could have used a little more "Blade Runner" styling. The second half degenerated into the Terminator again and was quite predictable. The film should have been focused on the unseen future instead of dragging back into the present. Daniels' character could have been expanded as well. A seven is the most I can rate this one. Expand
  37. Sep 28, 2012
    This science-fiction action film is a surprising emotional blend of kick-ass fights and firearm killing and disturbing dystopian themes. It evokes powerful feelings of empathy and fear which is not really seen in similar genres and left me shaken as I left the screen. This made me realise
  38. Oct 11, 2012
    A rarity for me, a very fun sci-fi movie that I enjoyed immensely. Why? Because this is a character and story driven science fiction film. We really grow to care about these characters in one sense or another, and the story keeps us guessing and intrigued right up to the emotional ending. Most of the problems that I have read about this movie revolve around the time travel dynamics or howA rarity for me, a very fun sci-fi movie that I enjoyed immensely. Why? Because this is a character and story driven science fiction film. We really grow to care about these characters in one sense or another, and the story keeps us guessing and intrigued right up to the emotional ending. Most of the problems that I have read about this movie revolve around the time travel dynamics or how the story slows in it's second half. I disagree on both counts. First I want to say that Johnson does have some obvious rules for time travel that he is following throughout this film, but I admire how he knows that if you think about time travel long enough you will find holes in any story involving something that both doesn't exist and is implausible in the real world. I love the scene where Johnson gives a wink to this idea by having Willis's character tell Levitt's, " I don't want to talk about time travel because we would be here all day." I also disagree that the film slows in the second half. I feel that the scenes at the farm are among the best in the movie, also Willis's character goes to some bad places which gets us to the more than satisfying ending. I have two issues with this movie and they probably keep this from being an all time classic science fiction movie for me. One is Levitt's performance. This is an actor that I normally like so I am going to believe that his poor performance is due to the prosthetic that were used to transform his face. Most will probably disagree with me about his performance, but I feel he is outmatched in almost every scene he shares with the other players in this movie. My second issue are the action sequences. If there is one reason for me not enjoying most action films anymore it is the implausibility of the gun fight, and Looper is no exception. I am infinitely tired of trained killers who can kill with professional precision suddenly becoming incapable of firing straight when they are shooting at a movies protagonist. This is probably nitpicking but I would rather not see the action at all than be taken out of the movie in this way. Overall this is a highly enjoyable, unique science fiction film. Expand
  39. Jul 21, 2014
    Looper is not just a "science fiction flick" it has very innovated inventions in its own way, the story is and the concept of the story are top notch, reminds me of "Inception" and "12 Monkeys"
  40. Sep 29, 2012
    Best movie I've seen in a long time; definitely the best this year. Absolutely superb. The intellect of Inception with underpinnings of The Terminator. Plot, story, action, acting, pacing... everything fit perfectly. It has a certain intellect to it that you simply do not see in many movies nowadays. It also is a new story and is not some rehashed superhero flick or modern remake of anBest movie I've seen in a long time; definitely the best this year. Absolutely superb. The intellect of Inception with underpinnings of The Terminator. Plot, story, action, acting, pacing... everything fit perfectly. It has a certain intellect to it that you simply do not see in many movies nowadays. It also is a new story and is not some rehashed superhero flick or modern remake of an older film. My only issue is that I would have liked a little more info about the "rainmaker" in the future. Otherwise I loved it. Very highly recommend; I don't give out many 10s. Expand
  41. Dec 9, 2012
    What an original and masterful sci fi film, the kind We've been waiting for for ages, maybe since Twelve Monkeys. Great to see Willis on form here and nailing the action genre again. From the second you start watching it you're thinking 'timeless classic.' Stick this one in the sci fi cannon without a doubt, open the gates and real her in. Prometheus is nothing compared to this.What an original and masterful sci fi film, the kind We've been waiting for for ages, maybe since Twelve Monkeys. Great to see Willis on form here and nailing the action genre again. From the second you start watching it you're thinking 'timeless classic.' Stick this one in the sci fi cannon without a doubt, open the gates and real her in. Prometheus is nothing compared to this. Brilliantly woven plot, great pacing, always exciting. Might be a while before we get another treat like this Expand
  42. Jan 12, 2013
    A well constructed story-driven scifi film that doesn't hit you over the head with explanations about causality but just works with the already well established (mainly by Back to the Future I guess) hollywood time-travel ruleset. Levitt plays a younger Bruce Willis and does so very well but his 'altered' appearance does take some getting used too. One of the better films of 2012 andA well constructed story-driven scifi film that doesn't hit you over the head with explanations about causality but just works with the already well established (mainly by Back to the Future I guess) hollywood time-travel ruleset. Levitt plays a younger Bruce Willis and does so very well but his 'altered' appearance does take some getting used too. One of the better films of 2012 and certainly a recommended watch! Expand
  43. Jan 19, 2013
    Just like Terminator mixed with some Die Hard. It is a really good movie. A must watch for people who like action and TriStar movies should defenetly watch this!
  44. Oct 6, 2012
    Intelligent. Entertaining. Unique. Violent. Emotional. Disturbing. Sentimental. I loved it. I hope it gets a nomination from the academy.
  45. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not quite the movie the previews make it out to be, but it's still quite good. It's an interesting take on time travel, but that's not even the important part of the movie. This child that has such powerful abilities, that he brings the world terror in the future is in the grasp of the protagonist, but decides that instead of continuing to try and change that future (which in itself only perpetuates it), he decides to end his own life. One of the better sci-fi movies in a while. Expand
  46. Nov 23, 2013
    Looper is a film with great ideas,but unfortunately these ideas weren't so well used,besides of this i can't say that it's a bad movie,but i would do lots of things on this universe.
  47. Nov 19, 2012
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis are gripping in the movie Looper.
  48. Feb 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nel 2044 i ricchi sono ricchi e i poveri si arrangiano servendoli. I primi vivono nei grattacieli di una città che ricorda vagamente ‘Blade runner’ (ma senza le pubblicità), i secondi abitano in caseggiati popolari davanti ai quali parcheggiano le loro macchine rappezzate. Il risultato una società violenta e infiltrata dalla malavita: in più, rispetto ai giorni nostri, ci sono i loopers, assassini prezzolati che uccidono le vittime della mafia che vengono loro spedite da trent’anni nel futuro. Un lavoro pulito, pagato con i lingotti recapitati sulla schiena del malcapitato, che però può incepparsi quando a tornare il te stesso invecchiato. Dopo tanti altri, capita anche a Joe (per la seconda volta in pochi mesi ecco un killer di nome Joe): il problema che il passare degli anni lo ha fatto diventare Bruce Willis che, in cerca di vendetta, non ha nessuna voglia di farsi ammazzare. A partire da questo momento, ‘Looper’ si trasforma da buon thriller fantascientifico con qualche eccesso di violenza e manierismo ad opera di valore assoluto grazie a una seconda ora che, giocando tra i contrastanti sentimenti umani e i paradossi del viaggio nel tempo, affascina senza possibilità di scampo fino all’efficacissimo finale. E’ vero che, forse, sarebbe stato di ancor maggior effetto ribaltare la conclusione, ma questo un film, non un romanzo di Dick e allo spettatore fa piacere alleggerire un po’ l’animo dopo tanta cupezza e tensione: il giovane Joe decide di spezzare il cerchio (il loop che sarebbe stato meglio tradurre con circolo o anello) ed un bel cambiamento da parte di un tossico capace di sacrificare il suo miglior amico chi non elimina il proprio loop non ha scampo per salvare i lingotti accuratamente risparmiati sognando una fuga in Francia. Alla trasformazione, contribuisce non poco vedere come diventato il vecchio Joe: Willis interpreta senza battere ciglio, ormai se lo può permettere, un assassino di bambini incluso quello di una sua vecchia fiamma guidato solo dall’amore perduto e da un odio che lo illude di poter cambiare il futuro in cui il misterioso Sciamano (in originale Rainmaker, da cui gli svariati riferimenti a nuvole e pioggia) sta cercando di eliminare tutti i looper. Al confronto dell’attempato leone, al quale l’esperienza ha insegnato a dare qualche sfumatura alla granitica presenza, Gordon-Levitt dimostra di dover ancora percorrere parecchia strada, malgrado l’assidua presenza sugli schermi negli ultimi tempi: la sua interpretazione cresce però con il passare dei minuti, forse perché non ha proprio la faccia da killer e funziona meglio quando, in fuga, abbandona la città per rifugiarsi nella fattoria presidiata, il caso di dirlo, da una combattiva Emily Blunt. Proprio tra campi di frumento e strade sterrate si arriva alla conclusione, dopo che Willis ha fatto fuori un numero imprecisato, ma certamente alto, di mafiosi (compreso il plenipotenziario venuto dal futuro ben interpretato da Jeff Daniels) armato di due mitragliette, una per mano uniche armi non vintage, essendo le altre intonate ai gusti ‘passatisti’ del giovane Joe. E’ il culmine di sessanta minuti di grande cinema, capace di far pensare ed emozionare allo stesso tempo grazie a una qualità che, se la prima parte fosse allo stesso livello, porterebbe il film dallo status di ottima pellicola con un futuro di culto a quello di molto vicino al capolavoro, seppur di genere. Expand
  49. May 10, 2013
    Could be better, if your storyline naum was so slow, rolled and filled with holes, the situation of Bruce Willis was also much lower than expected, the performance of Gordon Lewitt and median, the only thing that saves the film is yours premise, and the ending thoughtful.
  50. Oct 8, 2012
    Wow! An original idea comes out of Hollywood! Even though It bogged down a bit through the middle and took a weird left turn with the whole telekinesis plot line I confess I really enjoyed it. Of course its not possible to make a believable time travel movie so I suppose I shouldn't be offended by the endless paradoxes. My hat is off to Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the prosthetics folks onWow! An original idea comes out of Hollywood! Even though It bogged down a bit through the middle and took a weird left turn with the whole telekinesis plot line I confess I really enjoyed it. Of course its not possible to make a believable time travel movie so I suppose I shouldn't be offended by the endless paradoxes. My hat is off to Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the prosthetics folks on this one. I was totally sold that the kid from 3rd rock was the guy from blind date. Ripe with sequel potential. Expand
  51. Apr 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this film, to an extent. It's very clever, and it's refreshing to watch a film that doesn't treat its audience like idiots that need everything explained to them. The premise is interesting and the 3 lead characters give strong performances, particularly Emily Blunt.

However I found the film difficult to warm to, and was disappointed by the end. For me there are too many plot-points that weren't really believable. I found that idea of only using time travel to send people back in time to bump them off a bit stupid. Why not just kill people in the future? The rainmaker kid came across of being quite evil in nature, but if he's wiping out future crime lords doesn't that make him a good guy? Would Bruce Willis really shoot children? The choice of odd weapons used by everyone in the film (blunderbusses and pistols) was never explained, and the bad guys were all out of a video game (all wearing black trenchcoats). I was surprised that there weren't more memorable moments or set-pieces. Overall a clever film but not one I'd plan to watch again anytime soon.
  52. Feb 3, 2013
    surprising and unusual, a new way to enjoy the futuristic genre, besides another unforgettable performance of young Levitt and the good creativity of Rian Johnson
  53. Oct 3, 2012
    Seen Looper tonight. Does it live up to the hype? Not really, but I don't think that is the movies fault. The trailer makes you think its an action flick but its not. Its a concentrate and work out the plot and time travel paradoxes flick, however in my book thats a good thing! I didn't get the Joseph Gordon-Levitt make up as I don't think it made him look like Bruce Willis but watch outSeen Looper tonight. Does it live up to the hype? Not really, but I don't think that is the movies fault. The trailer makes you think its an action flick but its not. Its a concentrate and work out the plot and time travel paradoxes flick, however in my book thats a good thing! I didn't get the Joseph Gordon-Levitt make up as I don't think it made him look like Bruce Willis but watch out for one of the best child acting performances in recent memory. Even though I seen the main "twist" coming a mile off I still really liked the film. Like Inception I'm sure multiple viewings will make it even better. This is a real thinking mans Sci-Fi movie. Expand
  54. Feb 18, 2013
    All the douches giving this anything below a 7 are a bunch of hipsters that think they're cool for disagreeing with the way time-travel is portrayed in this movie. This movie was AMAZING, not as a sci-fi movie, not as a thriller, but in the way it executed both elements seamlessly and with uniqueness. If you're going to watch this JUST for the sci-fi, then don't bother. This is a greatAll the douches giving this anything below a 7 are a bunch of hipsters that think they're cool for disagreeing with the way time-travel is portrayed in this movie. This movie was AMAZING, not as a sci-fi movie, not as a thriller, but in the way it executed both elements seamlessly and with uniqueness. If you're going to watch this JUST for the sci-fi, then don't bother. This is a great MOVIE, one that will stay in the back of my mind for years to come Expand
  55. Jun 18, 2014
    Looper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good asLooper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good as Minority Report ( sci-fi ) or goodfellas ( crime thriller ) Expand
  56. Jun 13, 2015
    Looper is so much more than the Trailers let you thinking and that you would hope.This movie has everything,it explains time travel in a perfect way,and the ending is so good.The acting is superb and you really get into thinking that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really younger Bruce Willis.Jeff Daniels and Emily Blunt do a great job also.This movie is worth seeing,I loved it and I just can'tLooper is so much more than the Trailers let you thinking and that you would hope.This movie has everything,it explains time travel in a perfect way,and the ending is so good.The acting is superb and you really get into thinking that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really younger Bruce Willis.Jeff Daniels and Emily Blunt do a great job also.This movie is worth seeing,I loved it and I just can't believe that I haven't seen it earlier. Expand
  57. Jan 17, 2013
    Amazing movie!!!!!!!! Nice story and good actors
  58. Sep 29, 2012
    An intelligent action film is always welcomed, and this is no exception. Rian Johnson's 3rd film, this finally shows Johnson taking some creative ideas and grand detail and puts it altogether. As a result, it's his most complete film, though it's not without its plot holes. But you're going to get that when tackling time-traveling. Don't think too much about it and enjoy the ride.
  59. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a film. I did not expect this to be as good as it was. This is not a film for lovers of light-hearted films: it is a very dark one-of-a-kind experience. The problem is that I'm writing this review quite a long time after having seen the film; so I apologize for anything that I put wrong or not quite right. This is not a film about time travel as such; as time travel has been invented in the future, and it is used to send criminals back in time to be exterminated, when upon yourself arrives to be exterminated, you must do so, or you will suffer the consequences (as someone did in a very gruesome way during the opening of the movie). That is the premise of the plot in its simplest form. When (I forget the main character's name, sorry) arrives to be killed by himself, all hell breaks loose. The complicated (yet simple) storyline is handled masterfully, not leading to any confusing moments during the whole run-time of the picture. The acting is also ace, Bruce Willis providing everything you'd want from him in role such as this, and Joseph Gordon Levitt being the perfect anti-hero. The camerawork is mind-boggingly fantastic, although perhaps a tad hard to watch at times. This is a dark, unnerving sci-fi film that provides a very smart, witty and surprise of a gem that I don't think anyone was expecting. Not for kids, Looper wins the award of the most surprising film of the year (in a great way). 92/100. Expand
  60. Nov 20, 2012
    If you're looking for something thrilling yet thought provoking, go no further, Looper has arrived. Rian Johnson's Looper is a bold, wholly original genre film that delves into the fabric of time travel like you hardly get see these days. The high concept story line of a man's future-self on the loose after failing to 'get rid of him' is only the tip of the iceberg. Whats left is aIf you're looking for something thrilling yet thought provoking, go no further, Looper has arrived. Rian Johnson's Looper is a bold, wholly original genre film that delves into the fabric of time travel like you hardly get see these days. The high concept story line of a man's future-self on the loose after failing to 'get rid of him' is only the tip of the iceberg. Whats left is a dizzying tale of crime, time alteration and most interestingly, parenthood, that twists and turns the audience like an intelligent thriller should. The deceptive direction may not satisfy all, but it kept the intrigue on high.The principal cast was very good, and it's also good to see Bruce Willis on form this year. Filmed with much style and edited with clockwork precision; I highly recommend this to movie-goers. Expand
  61. Nov 14, 2012
    Pretty cool little movie. Most importantly it doesn't try to be anything its not. Its not really philosophical, its not not even overloaded on special effects. Its a story, a real good story with decent acting. In the end it was entertaining, which is exactly why I go to movies. One note, this movie gets extra points because it has Jeff Daniels as a bad guy...very cool.
  62. Oct 15, 2012
    An endlessly creative mind-blowing film that captures everything right about the movie going experience. Johnson conjures up the most imaginative action/science fiction film since 'Inception.'
  63. Oct 1, 2012
    Wow! The most original movie I've seen since Inception. Very intelligently written! This movie is the complete opposite of most movies that come out today, which aim to please the easily entertained. You'll definitely be thinking about this movie for awhile after you see it. It's an instant classic sci-fi film, which I'll have to add to my collection for sure when it comes out on video.
  64. Jan 3, 2013
    Brilliant, unique and disturbing, with a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Looper is far from your typical generic time travel movie and is one of those rare science fiction futuristic movies that will tug on your emotions. Emily Blunt and Joseph Gordon Levitt deliver brilliant performances and the child actor who plays Blunt's son is a scene stealer. Easily the best movie I've watchedBrilliant, unique and disturbing, with a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Looper is far from your typical generic time travel movie and is one of those rare science fiction futuristic movies that will tug on your emotions. Emily Blunt and Joseph Gordon Levitt deliver brilliant performances and the child actor who plays Blunt's son is a scene stealer. Easily the best movie I've watched this year. Expand
  65. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupidBest movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  66. Jan 26, 2013
    i enjoyed it, enternaning and bruce is a little diferent in this one, well there are some crazy effects and even my girlfriend likeed it. i find myself at a loss of words so that means i cant remember too much about it
  67. Oct 14, 2012
    I believe this is one of the top ten best movies of the first three years of this decade. It's very rare that a movie can be this enjoyable and exciting, have this much of an emotional impact, make a thought provoking statement, be an intelligent story throughout, and even make the viewer reflect on themselves, and question their own character. This movie does all of those things. JustI believe this is one of the top ten best movies of the first three years of this decade. It's very rare that a movie can be this enjoyable and exciting, have this much of an emotional impact, make a thought provoking statement, be an intelligent story throughout, and even make the viewer reflect on themselves, and question their own character. This movie does all of those things. Just about any criteria that can go into a great movie is very strong with this one. It was a very well thought out story, but it's orchestrated in the script very competently, so that every moment is able to have its full impact. From the very beginning of the movie, you're already questioning things about yourself, and that's only mild compared to the self evaluation you'll be doing towards the middle of the movie, and at the end. If you want a movie that is going to knock you out emotionally, and leave you in chills at the end, this will do it. At the same time, if you just want to be entertained, this will do the job too. This is the rare kind of movie that can be satisfying to watch no matter what mood you're in. There are times when I feel like watching a thought provoking movie, or one with a clever story, or an emotional movie, or just one that's going to entertain me. This would be a good choice for all of those moods. There are a couple of plot holes, but they are mild, and easily forgivable, when the script overall is this brilliant. The choices made by the director are also very clever, and elevate the script even further. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and Emily Blunt all give strong performances, and add depth to their characters, and dimensions to the story overall. I'm not even worried about raising people's expectations too high. I heard great things about this movie before I saw it, and I expected it to be in contention for my favorite movie of the year, yet it still exceeded my expectations, and blew me away. Expand
  68. Oct 7, 2012
    The verdict is out. It appears if you are a troubled male enduring a violent life style, a woman from your past, or future, is likely responsible. If you want proof, look no further than this film. All major characters are deeply affected by females. Whether it's a mother, a wife, or a hooker, they all determine the destiny of the world.
    I won't give it away, but do pay attention to the
    I won't give it away, but do pay attention to the various female driven pointers, from small to large. It's all there. Ladies are the oil that runs the machinery of the world.
    This was no doubt an entertaining film. The story kept me interested. Particularly because the promotional trailers did something abnormal by today's standards: they didn't give away the whole thing. I didn't expect it to follow the path that it does. Two thumbs up right there.
    It's worth mention what a fastantic job they did making Joseph Gordon-Levitt look like a younger version of Bruce Willis. Frightening.
    The one bit that often gets to me when it comes to science fiction is how you can smell the compromisse in the futuristic look. Specially when it comes to technology. Our future selves are geniuses in one aspect, like, say, time travel, but when it comes to other details of the world, like architecture or simple street signs, we dumbed down... And of course, the story does take place in the "past" version of this future. Can you hear a studio guy say: 'we gotta shoot this thing cheaper!'... Well, you can't have it All. So it does feel a bit more like an HBO production than big theatre fare, but I still had a fantastic time. Enjoy.
  69. Sep 30, 2012
    "Looper" is great, simply great! It's original, fun, well written and directed, Gordon- Levitt and Bruce Willis are awesome as the same person, it has a fast rhythm and a dynamic soundtrack, it's just fantastic!
  70. Jan 3, 2013
    Good movie and easily one of the best of the year, Looper does a good job of avoiding some of the usual trappings that time-travel movies fall into nowadays. I love the idea that is glosses over most of the explanation of why time travel works in this movie and just focuses on the story between Levitt and Willis, even if they aren't on screen together for the vast majority of the movie. IGood movie and easily one of the best of the year, Looper does a good job of avoiding some of the usual trappings that time-travel movies fall into nowadays. I love the idea that is glosses over most of the explanation of why time travel works in this movie and just focuses on the story between Levitt and Willis, even if they aren't on screen together for the vast majority of the movie. I love how this movie takes a played out concept and puts a nice, original spin on it for the audience. I can see why this movie might turn off some people with a few things here and there, but I personally loved this movie. The only problem I have is that I didn't get to see it soon enough. Expand
  71. Dec 1, 2012
    Good movie, coherent, plot-twisting, and with well written characters. This said, I thought there would be more science fiction and a little more broader view. It made me think of "12 Monkeys", which had the same scale: one city, max. 10 depicted characters, and surprising ending. To sum up, very engaging, despite the flaws.
  72. Nov 13, 2012
    Looper seems to suffer from over-expectation, going by some reviews. Heavily pushed as the "new matrix", I struggled to find the similarity to the Keanu Action-blockbuster. Sure, Looper is a high-concept movie but its much smaller in scale and focus - and all the better for it. There's action but its quite spaced out and rarely the showstopper that a film like the Matrix would require.Looper seems to suffer from over-expectation, going by some reviews. Heavily pushed as the "new matrix", I struggled to find the similarity to the Keanu Action-blockbuster. Sure, Looper is a high-concept movie but its much smaller in scale and focus - and all the better for it. There's action but its quite spaced out and rarely the showstopper that a film like the Matrix would require. Instead we get a very good turn from JGL playing his character like a young Bruce Willis. When it works, its fantastic although sometimes the eyebrows seemed a bit too much. Willis himself is great as the reluctant assassin and the two play off each other well in their scene together. The rest of the cast work well, although I would have liked a bit more of Jeff Daniels. But sometimes its better to be left wanting more. Overall though, Looper is a nice bit of sci-fi but not the picture some will be expecting. The script can feel a little clunky but its got enough nuance to carry through to the ending which, while some hated it, I quite enjoyed. Expand
  73. Apr 9, 2013
    If this was an original concept, it would be a 10. But it's a mash-up of multiple ideas (The Witness, Akira, and others come to mind), so we have to take a little off for orginality. With that being said, it is executed nearly perfectly.
  74. Jul 6, 2013
    A great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a lifeA great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a life or death situation you feel the moment so the ending was unexpected and sad, but understood the decision made with a meaningful action. Expand
  75. Oct 27, 2012
    I dont usually say this but WHY are you reading this? Go out and watch this NOW. Brilliant acting, a brilliant plot where everything clicks and excellent sequences - Looper is my favourite film of the year alongside Dark Knight Rises. And it beats the hell out of The Avengers. There are minor loopholes if you think hard enough but overall, its as enjoyable as Inception and definitely, aI dont usually say this but WHY are you reading this? Go out and watch this NOW. Brilliant acting, a brilliant plot where everything clicks and excellent sequences - Looper is my favourite film of the year alongside Dark Knight Rises. And it beats the hell out of The Avengers. There are minor loopholes if you think hard enough but overall, its as enjoyable as Inception and definitely, a well-rounded film on an intriguing premise. A movie with the brains and passion that you will definitely enjoy. If you love Inception, you'll love this film. It makes you think and gives you a satisfying conclusion. Expand
  76. Oct 12, 2012
    Looper -- well scripted. It has a very logical and believable sci-fi. My only problem is that Joseph Levitt-Gordon and Bruce Willis are just not from the same mold. Poor casting there.
  77. Sep 28, 2012
    Looper is a film that could have spiralled out of control at any moment either with its introduction of new sci-fi elements throughout the first hour, or its slightly complex use of time travel which is the emphasis of the science fiction portion of this film. The reason nothing went into disarray is because it was expertly written, keeping itself grounded as much as it could whileLooper is a film that could have spiralled out of control at any moment either with its introduction of new sci-fi elements throughout the first hour, or its slightly complex use of time travel which is the emphasis of the science fiction portion of this film. The reason nothing went into disarray is because it was expertly written, keeping itself grounded as much as it could while delivering the viewer with a world to sink its teeth into. What Looper does to surpass itself from merely being an incredibly visceral science fiction and action experience, is it delivers character development and individual moments that transcend what is already a pretty packed film full of interesting ideas and motifs. It's hard not to instantly compare the film to others such as Twelve Monkeys, Inception and even The Matrix, but I think that's what Johnson does best is pull the vibe from other films and source materials (he read a lot of Philip K. Dick before writing this) then incorporate them into a film that feels wholly his own.

Go to http://independentcinema.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/im-from-the-future-go-see-looper/ for the rest of the review.
  78. Jan 1, 2013
    Looper takes an tremendously silly concept and tries to ask some big questions with it, which unfortunately does not work at all. However, it manages to set up a compelling conflict that avoids standard "good guy, bad guy" fare for something much more complex, resulting in a very good thriller where you can easily forget about all the philosophy and just watch the players make their moves.Looper takes an tremendously silly concept and tries to ask some big questions with it, which unfortunately does not work at all. However, it manages to set up a compelling conflict that avoids standard "good guy, bad guy" fare for something much more complex, resulting in a very good thriller where you can easily forget about all the philosophy and just watch the players make their moves. It provided me with the rare experience of watching a Hollywood film and truly wondering what's going to happen next, because there wasn't any obvious happy end in sight. Add some great acting (with the exception of Bruce Willis, who, as always, plays Bruce Willis and matches Kristen Steward in his range of facial expressions), and the fact that it doesn't rely on CGI and explosions to keep you excited, and you end up with a surprisingly solid experience. Expand
  79. Dec 23, 2012
    I think this is on par with Source Code and Moon (and maybe even Twelve Monkeys) as story-driven scifi that could probably bear several watchings over the years. It's a fine addition to the canon of fine scifi movies.
  80. Oct 18, 2012
    The summer brought us many blockbusters, The Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Dark Knight Rises. It was a successful summer overall, but the fall season is where the Oscar contenders come out, and with that, I have Looper, which is the first fall movie of the year that looks like it can contend with the heavy weights. The story takes place in the year 2044,
  81. Mar 11, 2013
    This film got snubbed during the Oscars. How in the world did this not even get nominated for Best Original Screenplay?! Seriously you cannot show me a more unique film than Looper. Very few films blow my mind but Looper succeeded in doing just that. Dark, Different, and Entertaining as hell. One of the best movies of 2012.
  82. Oct 8, 2012
    This movie is a masterpiece of sci-fi cinema. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis were the perfect choice of actors for the right movie. Looper is a unique and fresh film in a period of bland $200 million films.

P.S. The movie should be seen twice in order to understand what's going on, or realise that the film gets better the more you see it.
  83. Mar 2, 2013
    Great movie but had a couple flaws hear and there but a great movie overall. Maybe one of the best movies of the year it had great action.GREAT MOVIE with great actors and a great plot.
  84. Oct 8, 2012
    A vicious and often bleak thriller involving time travel and telekinesis. To those who haven't seen the movie, it DOES sound like an awful concept. However, both Justin Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis deliver with solid acting, a script that has believable (and fun) twists and turns, interesting moral dilemas, and amazing special affects. The only bad aspect of this movie i can think of asA vicious and often bleak thriller involving time travel and telekinesis. To those who haven't seen the movie, it DOES sound like an awful concept. However, both Justin Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis deliver with solid acting, a script that has believable (and fun) twists and turns, interesting moral dilemas, and amazing special affects. The only bad aspect of this movie i can think of as of this writing is if you put wayyy too much thought into the time travel mechanics. So just sit back and enjoy the violence and cacophony that is Looper. Expand
  85. Nov 7, 2012
    A refreshing approach to the overly tired action genre. The film achieved many things right, but what really shines is by far the script. When is Looper 2 coming out?
  86. Sep 30, 2012
    Nice thing about this movie is that its original and overall good.I felt the movie showcased or built up certain characters that became pointless or underwhelming. lack of time travel technology and the way they cover up the fact made me feel as if they couldn't think of anything. Pacing was to slow at times, even for when they were building good parts, everything else was good for the most part.
  87. Sep 29, 2012
    Excellent Film! What a breath of fresh air to see a film that is highly original, exciting, touching, funny and ... did I say ORIGINAL! ( people may say it is derivative - but that is the case for every story ever told, except for the first which was long before any of us were around) I say Great Script!! If you like Science Fiction (don't expect alien landscapes, outer space etc) andExcellent Film! What a breath of fresh air to see a film that is highly original, exciting, touching, funny and ... did I say ORIGINAL! ( people may say it is derivative - but that is the case for every story ever told, except for the first which was long before any of us were around) I say Great Script!! If you like Science Fiction (don't expect alien landscapes, outer space etc) and don't mind seeing violence in films then my suggestion is - Go See It - and before you do learn as little about the storyline as possible. If your favorite films are romantic comedies, realistic dramas or Adam Sandler films this will probably not be your cup of tea - but otherwise you will be entertained. Expand
  88. Oct 15, 2012
    The trailer for this movie gives the wrong impression. Yes there's plenty of action and violence blended in with Sci-fi elements, but it's more than that. This is a thought-provoking, original piece of work. Sure there are some influences, the biggest one seems to be Terminator, but this is as close to original as you can get in this day in age. I would like to also put out that, as I saidThe trailer for this movie gives the wrong impression. Yes there's plenty of action and violence blended in with Sci-fi elements, but it's more than that. This is a thought-provoking, original piece of work. Sure there are some influences, the biggest one seems to be Terminator, but this is as close to original as you can get in this day in age. I would like to also put out that, as I said there's plenty of action, but the movie at some points slows down. These scenes are just characters talking but they were never boring to me, but they might be to you. Half of the movie takes place on a farm but, like I said I was never bored. I have nothing bad to say about this movie. The plot and story are rich and thought-provoking. For example: If you could go back in time to kill baby Hitler would you? The screenplay is extremely well done and thought out. Sure there are some minor flaws within the time travel aspect(I can list a few but that could potentially spoil things) but that's the case with every movie about time travel. Johnson does a terrific job at plugging in most of these holes and this is probably the best and well thought out movie about time travel. Now if time travel did exist would it be something like this? Probably not but Johnson does such a good job at explaining everything that he makes us believe it, and he never breaks his own rules. You have to really pay attention to everything or else you might miss something and get lost, sort of like Inception. This is nothing like Inception by the way so those who are comparing this movie to that one are wrong. The acting in this more is terrific, but I'm sure none of these performances will get recognition from the academy which is a dam shame. Over the past couple of years Joseph Gordon-Levitt has slowly become one of the best actors working today. His performance is amazing, his impression of Bruce Willis is spot on from his facial expressions to the way he speaks he nailed it, and even though his face is covered in prosthetics he is still able to convey emotion and act. Bruce Willis is back between Expendable Two, Moonrise Kingdom and now Looper. I hope he picks these kinds of movies in the near future. He doesn't just kick was in this movie but he also proves that he's got the chops. One scene in particular, he is crying because of the terrible thing he did and even though I hated what he did I couldn't help but feel sorry for him during that scene. You'll know when you see it. Emily Blunt is great as well, I'm surprised not that many people actually mentioned her, without her the movie wouldn't have been the same. The kid is also great, he certainly has potential. He provided some humorous scenes that the film needed. The guy who plays the main person in charge of the Looper did a great job too. There really is no hero, everyone is the antihero which was a nice change as you don't often see that in movies and just adds to the freshness. The romance between Blunt and Levitt was nice, they both displayed a nice degree of chemistry. I really liked them as a couple even though they're both terrible people(I'd mention a few other things but I don't want to ruin anything). The ending to this film is brilliant, it has a lot of deep meaning behind it even though I'm sure people hated it. There's a reason why the director did this and if only people would look at the meaning behind it. This is as perfect of a movie about time travel as you're going to get. I loved everything about it. Sure you can pick away at some of the flaws within the time travel but what's the point? Every movie about time travel has some flaws within time travel. The strong script, outstanding performances, fleshed out characters, and the rich/original plot make this the best one. Johnson did a brilliant job at closing as many of the flaws as he could. This is one of the best films of the year, it's thought-provoking and original. This movie is still on my mind and though this won't alter my life in any way, I'm glad I got to see it. Expand
  89. Oct 1, 2012
    I base great films on whether I am still thinking about them the next day. I was still thinking about Looper the next day. While I may watch something like "The Avengers" over and over again to go to sleep to and enjoy on a semi-regular basis, Looper is perhaps the best film so far this year (but far less re watchable as background noise while you are cooking dinner). Superb acting,I base great films on whether I am still thinking about them the next day. I was still thinking about Looper the next day. While I may watch something like "The Avengers" over and over again to go to sleep to and enjoy on a semi-regular basis, Looper is perhaps the best film so far this year (but far less re watchable as background noise while you are cooking dinner). Superb acting, casting, and overall directing. Expand
  90. Dec 1, 2012
    Excellent movie. The cast is fantastic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt especially and the story is a real mind twister. I liked how the future is shown almost similar to the present with only details showing us that not everything is the same. However it takes some time to tie all threads into one, but once you get the point than the story fully mesmerizes you. I was also surprised with the forceExcellent movie. The cast is fantastic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt especially and the story is a real mind twister. I liked how the future is shown almost similar to the present with only details showing us that not everything is the same. However it takes some time to tie all threads into one, but once you get the point than the story fully mesmerizes you. I was also surprised with the force little Pierce Gagnon played his very demanding part.
    Finally, this movie should not be watched if you are not fully concentrated on it, as the details can slip quite easily.
    Highly recommendable.
  91. Feb 5, 2013
    Overall, awesome movie. This is some of the best acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt I have ever seen. It has one of the best plots. This film is not what you would expect. This has become my second favorite time travel film of all time, next to Back to the Future Part II
  92. Nov 25, 2014
    Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication,Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication, thought provoking story telling, visually it's spectacular, the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable and all round the performances are as equally impressive. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favourite actors in recent years and he's brilliant here. I was pleased to see him take centre stage after a successful run of supporting roles. And Bruce Willis actually looks interested for a change and he gives his best performance in years. Emily Blunt is strong also and I was surprised to see underrated actor Jeff Daniels in a supporting role for the first time in years. Most Sci-Fi's attempt to be as big and loud as possible. But tonally I think Looper hits a similar chord to Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. It's an impressive, ambitious and intelligent piece of filmmaking from Rian Johnson. And to the films credit it doesn't get carried away with an excessive sense of scale and it doesn't over complicate itself with too many unnecessary characters and multiple distractive plot threads. Also it balances the action perfectly knowing exactly when to throw in a set piece for good measure. Looper is a thoroughly enjoyable piece of filmmaking and I'm intrigued to see what the likes of Rian Johnson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt do next. Collapse Expand
  93. Sep 3, 2013
    Outstanding movie. It also makes Bruce Willis the only actor to star in not one but two flawless time travel movies. The movie is much better than the trailers appear to indicate the action isn't the focus, but a really deep, compelling and surprising story. I was seriously impressed with the consistency. The photography, acting, score and plot are superb as well, but the fact that theOutstanding movie. It also makes Bruce Willis the only actor to star in not one but two flawless time travel movies. The movie is much better than the trailers appear to indicate the action isn't the focus, but a really deep, compelling and surprising story. I was seriously impressed with the consistency. The photography, acting, score and plot are superb as well, but the fact that the movie continues to surprise with unexpected plot twists while telling a convincing and not inane time travel story is astonishing. I wish I had seen this one in the theaters. Expand
  94. Feb 6, 2013
    Starts out great. The opening felt similar to how I saw Blade Runner but somewhere in the middle it drags and what happens doesn't really matter until the revelation. I respect Rian Johnson for pulling off a great atmosphere but I just thought there were a lot of room for improvement in terms of pacing. Overall it is a good movie that shows a lot of potential for discussions. Maybe I justStarts out great. The opening felt similar to how I saw Blade Runner but somewhere in the middle it drags and what happens doesn't really matter until the revelation. I respect Rian Johnson for pulling off a great atmosphere but I just thought there were a lot of room for improvement in terms of pacing. Overall it is a good movie that shows a lot of potential for discussions. Maybe I just wanted to see more sci-fi. Expand
  95. Oct 1, 2012
    Ok, let me preface this by saying that I dislike most movies. I find that the majority of movies released these days are full of plot holes, are poorly written, have no character development, and contain mediocre to bad acting. You get the gist - i think most movies suck....but Looper is simply spectacular. It is probably the best movie I have seen in 10 years - great concept withOk, let me preface this by saying that I dislike most movies. I find that the majority of movies released these days are full of plot holes, are poorly written, have no character development, and contain mediocre to bad acting. You get the gist - i think most movies suck....but Looper is simply spectacular. It is probably the best movie I have seen in 10 years - great concept with spectacular writing and execution. It has everything - drama, some humor, great character development (which makes you actually care what happens), great action, suspense, cool effects. I really can't find anything wrong with this movie, and I'm very picky when it comes to movies. Someone else compared Looper to Terminator with the style of Inception, and that is pretty accurate. A lot of the basic concepts are taken from Terminator (time travel, etc.), but it's definitely it's own movie. This will go down as one of the best movies of this decade, and it's sure to be considered a Sci-Fi classic among the best of all time (Alien, Terminator, The Matrix, etc). Expand
  96. Oct 10, 2012
    A good sci-fi story done with finesse. Watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt closely. He may not "look" like a younger Bruce Willis, but he has his familiar mannerisms and speech down: especially in a sit-down with a crime boss. For the most part, the story takes some unexpected turns but doesn't hold up in the ending, which is telegraphed in advance. Too bad, because this had the makings of aA good sci-fi story done with finesse. Watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt closely. He may not "look" like a younger Bruce Willis, but he has his familiar mannerisms and speech down: especially in a sit-down with a crime boss. For the most part, the story takes some unexpected turns but doesn't hold up in the ending, which is telegraphed in advance. Too bad, because this had the makings of a classic. Still, the acting and direction elevate this to a must-see of Fall films. Expand
  97. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best Sci-fi thrillers to come about in a long time, Looper brings the audience an original story with great intensity and relatable characters. The film is intelligently written and touches on themes of fate, responsibility, and coming of age. I personally loved Joe's character arch and how he changes as the movie goes on. A must see and one of the 5 best movies of 2012.
  98. Oct 8, 2012
    This movie has an interesting premise and great actors and acting, which make up for the sometimes-lackluster action sequences. I think that if ones goes into this movie looking for simply an action movie, they will be disappointed. However, if you want something deeper: compelling characters and character development, suspense, moral dilemmas, then you will be satisfied. The film doesThis movie has an interesting premise and great actors and acting, which make up for the sometimes-lackluster action sequences. I think that if ones goes into this movie looking for simply an action movie, they will be disappointed. However, if you want something deeper: compelling characters and character development, suspense, moral dilemmas, then you will be satisfied. The film does suffer a bit at a few crucial plot points, where it's not entirely clear what happened. If you leave the theater confused, then look online for an explanation and it should make those little pieces fall into place nicely. Expand
  99. Oct 26, 2012
    It doesn't meet my expectations. But, nonetheless, Looper is a smart, unique, and well written film that ranks high above other movies in the same genre.
  100. Sep 28, 2012
    Despite some poorly placed - or perhaps poorly delivered - swearing, some sloppy continuity errors and an annoyingly needless sex scene, Looper really was enjoyable. It did really well to keep me heavily interested in, and knowledgeable about, a storyline that could have easily gone over my head.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Oct 1, 2012
    For all its mayhem, runs like a mad and slightly sad machine, whirring with hints of folly and regret, and the ending, remarkably, makes elegant sense to a degree that eludes most science fictions. How to describe it, without giving anything away? Scrambled, but rare. [1 Oct. 2012, p.84]
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Sep 28, 2012
    Looper felt to me like a maddening near-miss: It posits an impossible but fascinating-to-imagine relationship...and then throws away nearly all the dramatic potential that relationship offers. If someone remakes Looper as the movie it could have been in, say, 30 years, will someone from the future please FedEx it back to me?
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Sep 28, 2012
    I'm not ready to proclaim Looper a sci-fi masterpiece just yet; let's let it sit awhile. But it's a lean, mean, smart, violent picture with a bit of Stanley Kubrick edge, fueled by the terrific Gordon-Levitt.