TriStar Pictures | Release Date: September 28, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 1525 Ratings
1,290
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeFeb 19, 2016
Looper will be enjoyable only by your taste of opinion. If you think Looper will be wicked fun and an ultimate ride, don't look at me. Go watch this on your own.
SpangleJun 30, 2015
Featuring great acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, and Jeff Daniels, Looper is an incredibly original and bold film that you do not see made very often nowadays, so for this one, I am grateful. BlessedFeaturing great acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, and Jeff Daniels, Looper is an incredibly original and bold film that you do not see made very often nowadays, so for this one, I am grateful. Blessed with a great concept and very interesting design for the future, Looper has some great direction and writing from Rian Johnson. Looper has some very good action sequences, but its real strengths are from its heady science fiction thrills and from the emotional impact it has on you. In addition, it also has some interesting things to say on the nature of evil in our world, as well as the importance of family and love. When it comes to the time travel feature of the film, it is not afraid to raise questions about what time travel really means. Do things keep repeating and we are powerless to stop them? Are we able to change our futures by altering our pasts? These questions are a few of many that come up, but for a major motion picture, Looper certainly is risky, not just in its willingness to test its audience, but in the fact that it was made at all. Thankfully, it paid off in spades and did quite well financially, but most importantly, it is a really great film. Fun, smart, and original, Looper is easily one of the best sci-fi films of the 2010s. Expand
Compi24Mar 7, 2017
Rian Johnson's "Looper" marks a definitive high note in the long-running pantheon of time travel films, successfully offering up a fresh take on the fantastical concepts at hand whilst spinning a gripping yarn with some meaningful comments onRian Johnson's "Looper" marks a definitive high note in the long-running pantheon of time travel films, successfully offering up a fresh take on the fantastical concepts at hand whilst spinning a gripping yarn with some meaningful comments on the cycle of violence along the way. High marks go to the four main cast members - Gordon-Levitt, Willis, Blunt, and Gagnon - for bringing this gripping, personal story of vengeance, love, and retribution to life. Expand
MovieGuysSep 17, 2013
Looper starts out great. The plot is fresh and original, the acting is pretty good, Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a hell of a lot like an actual young Bruce Willis, and the movie goes from there, with JGL trying to chase his "future self"Looper starts out great. The plot is fresh and original, the acting is pretty good, Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a hell of a lot like an actual young Bruce Willis, and the movie goes from there, with JGL trying to chase his "future self" through the present. This movie is complex, but once you hit Nirvana with the idea, like Inception, you will understand everything.

As Levitt chases his future self through the world, he stumbles across a farmhouse, and there lies Emily Blunt. From that point in the movie --a little under halfway-- the plot shifts, and is all about Blunt's son. (I won't spoil what happens anymore).I hated this plot shift as the focus of the movie veered off the side of the road of getting to the intended finale. other than this, the movie isn't half bad.
BrianMcCriticMar 10, 2013
One of the best sci-fi movies in years. Rian Johnson is a very talented director that previously made the outstanding film Brick, shows the combo of himself and Joseph Gordon Levitt is a winning one.
Meth-dudeAug 13, 2015
One of the best Bruce Willis performance and probably one of the best Bruce Willis movie I have seen in a long time. The story is original and the acting in general is really good.Joseph Gordon-Levitt is absolutely stunning and the movieOne of the best Bruce Willis performance and probably one of the best Bruce Willis movie I have seen in a long time. The story is original and the acting in general is really good.Joseph Gordon-Levitt is absolutely stunning and the movie overall is surprisingly good. Expand
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
You can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories,You can never go wrong in choosing a movie that stars Bruce Willis or Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but when they come together, that's when the magic really happens! Looper is the brainchild of Rian Johnson, who likes to bring us unusual stories, that mainly star JGL, however Looper is much easier to follow than most of Johnson's other films. While I'm not his biggest fan, his attention to detail has always really stood out to me and is perhaps never more evident than in Looper. Johnson actually used make-up and special effects to make JGL resemble a young Bruce Willis, which I found to be ingenious. Not to be overlooked is of course how clever a story Looper is, as it blends together time travel and the mafia. In the future, time travel has been invented, but like every other good thing, it is illegal. The mafia controls time travel and uses it as a weapon to commit murder. In this future world, it is impossible to dispose of a body, so the mafia sends their targets back in time where they are met an executed by a hired gun, known as a looper. The performances are of course top notch, Willis, the action star of a generation, only gets better with age, and JGL is the simply put the hardest working, most under appreciated actor in all of Hollywood. To be completely honest, this intriguing, action-packed, thriller was not as good as I expected it to be, and I really didn't care for the way in ended. That being said, it is still a great film that is definitely worth your while. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 27, 2015
"Looper" is a refreshing action thriller that shines from a original and clever script, clean cinematography, and skilled acting from both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's definitely a one-of-its-kind movie.
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Rian Johnson takes you from this world and pulls into the world of Looper. Johnson's films are unlike those of other filmmakers, because they are so surreal.
CineAutoctonoMar 19, 2016
Looper was an impressive futuristic movie with an incredible panorama, full of action and drama, at first it was little slow but it was up the pace and ended up being an outstanding film and an exceptional plot.
MarcDoyleOct 1, 2012
The first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted'sThe first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I give the film credit for attempting to go big with the attempt. Again, the story of the boy is really interesting, but I expected a grander path for the film after the first hour or so. It's great to see Piper Perabo in a slightly racier role than her Covert Affairs persona. Expand
GreatMartinSep 28, 2012
How would you like to sit in a diner having steak and scrambled eggs with a version of yourself, but 30 years older, who also orders steak and scrambled eggs? How would you like to be Bruce Willis surrounded by 20 men with guns and you killHow would you like to sit in a diner having steak and scrambled eggs with a version of yourself, but 30 years older, who also orders steak and scrambled eggs? How would you like to be Bruce Willis surrounded by 20 men with guns and you kill them all but can Expand
JacobJan 8, 2014
Despite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film isDespite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film is shot well. If you want a good fim to watch go check this one out it is pretty good. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Loopers are killers for hire - only they're tasked to get rid of the targets sent to them from the future. Easy gigs - as long as you don't let your target escape.

The story starts a little slow, then picks up speed when Joe finally misses

The story starts a little slow, then picks up speed when Joe finally misses his target - himself. Which means in thirty-odd years, he'll be sent back to be killed by his younger self. Only his old self isn't willing to be taken down so easily.

There is a plot inside the plot, which is definitely better than the original plot you keep expecting from the beginning; when the two Joe's come to some kind of understanding, that something's going on in the future that started here in the past, they begin to uncover the truth behind all the dying Loopers. They might not be moving towards a common goal but they still head that way.

There's a decent amount of action as well as good story-telling; you couldn't tell how things are going to end. That's definitely one of the best qualities of the film because it keeps you on your toes to the end.

The effects are nice, giving the movie a very realistic feel.
TheApplegnomeDec 21, 2014
From the unknown director: Rian Johnson comes Looper. A clean and original sci-fi film that got a tough script and much boring stuff.

The first thing that truly makes this film incredible is the sci-fi and action; it’s so cool and entertaining. The film is a challenge for the brain from the start and throughout the film, which is great because it do raise questions with the audience. Looper is a great time-travel film that’s unique in it’s own way. The story: that a future man travels back in time to stop his wife from being killed is a classic, and the high pace of action is awesome. The structure of the film is very similar with J.J Abrams’s Star Trek and other films; we see similar lens-flares, touching soundtrack and action at a high tempo. There are a bunch of unique things in Looper, but I wish there could have been more. That’s because it’s not a clean and original film due to the influence from J.J. The script is another thing that could have been done better; the conversations are slow and boring, and the film overall is boring. I wish there could have happened even more awesome things in Looper, because the film do have an incredible cast, spectacular CGI and a touching story. The opening scene is just as great as the ending, but my only wish is that there could have been more unique.

This is a classic time-travel film, but unfortunately there are much slow and boring scenes and there could have happened much more.

Looper gets a 7/10.
worleyjamersJan 12, 2013
Looper is a really good sci-fi/action thriller. Although the second half of the film tapers off towards the end, the film is held together by a solid concept, great direction, and good performances, even if some things are left unanswered.
StevenFApr 25, 2013
You might just take Looper at first glance as what it says in all the marketing and synopsis material, with time travel now being possible, large crime syndicates send their targets back in time to be executed by Loopers, hired guns who canYou might just take Looper at first glance as what it says in all the marketing and synopsis material, with time travel now being possible, large crime syndicates send their targets back in time to be executed by Loopers, hired guns who can dispose of the bodies a lot easier than they can in the future.
But what is shown in the film is so much more than that, and it plays out into a brilliant, yet not perfect, sci-fi thriller.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as Joe, one of these Loopers, and when he isn't being hired to kill someone from the future, he is stashing away the silver bricks, his payment, and only cashes in a few, and by night he parties and takes drugs, until his next assassination. Gordon-Levitt has had prosthetics and make-up applied to his face to look like a younger version of, well, himself, but actually Bruce Willis, who plays the future Joe, sent back in time to be killed, and of course when this goes wrong, the simple rule has been disobeyed, never let your loop get away.
But in the bigger picture, Old Joe is back to try and prevent a tragic event in his own life, and he can only do so in Young Joe's time, and that lies within a small boy, Cid, played by Pierce Gagnon, and this kid truly puts in a wonderful performance, he is perhaps the best thing about this film and his acting and manner is fantastic, and of course a plot twist just adds to the heightened drama.
The whole cast, including Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels, are on fine form, a Looper truly does portray a different sort of dystopian future that we are used to seeing in cinema these days. But while the film is smart and clever in its original idea, this perhaps could be its biggest downfall. The amount of plot holes after watching it second time are just too big to ignore or not give notice to, they don't exactly ruin what is a entertaining film, but on occasion it just seems all for nothing when you realise what other way it could have went. With such a complex idea, there was always going to be a slip up along the way for writer/director Rain Johnson.
Aside from this, there are enough twists and turns to keep you entertained for two hours, and Gordon-Levitts similarities to Bruce Willis including his gruff, soft-spoken voice are mind-boggling.
An excellent, albeit flawed thriller, which offers realism, while also poking fun the odd time on what other films try so hard to be serious about, definitely see Looper.
BikerjamesOct 1, 2012
I love Sci Fi, and like all the actors in this film, so I was looking forward to seeing it. It was a mixed bag for me. The film kept me interested, but turned out to be more about the telekinetic kid than anything else. The child, playedI love Sci Fi, and like all the actors in this film, so I was looking forward to seeing it. It was a mixed bag for me. The film kept me interested, but turned out to be more about the telekinetic kid than anything else. The child, played by Pierce Gagnon, is one of the best child performances I've ever seen in a film. He is absolutely mesmerizing. Unfortunately, the film ended up feeling more like a "demon seed" scary film rather than an intriguing Sci Fi film. I did not care for the whole telekinesis angle which seemed tacked on, and there is a sex scene in the film which was ridiculous and unnecessary. There was also inconsistencies which made no sense. The younger looper always shot and killed the future loopers the instance they appeared, and for some unexplained reason when the older version of himself appeared he hesitated before shooting. There was also some very slow moments throughout the film. Not a bad film, but it won't be a Blu Ray purchase. Expand
Bruce722Jan 15, 2013
Such a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it.Such a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it. They didn't try to explain anything about the science of it, which I was fine with, but I felt that they nailed the concept. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an amazing job, not only acting but as portraying a young Bruce Willis. Obviously the make-up department deserves credit for the look but JGL mastered all of the mannerisms and the style of talking. Very impressive performance on his behalf. And I love Emily Blunt so her being in the film is a nice bonus, plus it's nice to see her take on a slightly different role from her typical typecast. The only negative in the film, in my opinion, was the telekinesis element. I thought it was a really silly aspect of the film and didn't need to be in there at all. The Rainmaker, could've easily been portrayed to be a genius child, not a borderline superhuman. That's really the only part of the film that was mediocre. Looper is definitely a movie that I think most people would enjoy. Some will probably find it challenging to follow but those that follow it well will surely consider it entertaining. Expand
nutterjrDec 31, 2012
Possibly the kick ass film of the year! A good story with steady-state suspense and pounding action, a great cast with marvelous acting and a bravado director delivering a film of immaculate style and elegance.
axelkochAug 8, 2013
Looper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understandLooper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get the feeling that information is being thrown at you to help you with comprehending. It has good acting even in little supporting roles, distances itself from typical Hollywood movies with sometimes long dialogue sequences but also several wordless shots, and has absolutely sightly visuals. It profits from the self-ironic approach of director Rian Johnson and its little flaws can be forgiven. Due to all of that, it becomes a movie that you are definitely going to remember and that you will do well in buying on DVD or Blu-Ray since watching it a second time and then fully grasping everything that's going on is just as much fun as the first time. Expand
BradySmithDec 1, 2013
An intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies,An intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feel fleshed out and all have extremely well rounded personalities. (This is no Prometheus.) Action is rarely this exhilaratingly brutal. None of it feels like filler here. Every last shot and every fight is embedded with incendiary energy. While the movie is extremely well acted and decently unique it still lacks the weight to be a masterpiece, but I'm not exactly sure why. The fault may lie in its futuristic world. A lot of the environments seemed unimaginative and I kept yearning for this future to catch up to the narrative in terms of creativity and awe. That's not to say that the film lacks atmosphere. It's just missing that extra spark to make it incredible. Still, it's definitely worth seeing, and is head and shoulders above most action fare. Expand
dharmaNov 10, 2012
Pretty good Sci-Fi time travel flick in the vein of 'Twelve Monkeys', starring Bruce Willis. Joseph Gordon Levitt is great here as usual, but I found the film a bit over-rated. If you've seen a lot of these time travel stuffs, you know wherePretty good Sci-Fi time travel flick in the vein of 'Twelve Monkeys', starring Bruce Willis. Joseph Gordon Levitt is great here as usual, but I found the film a bit over-rated. If you've seen a lot of these time travel stuffs, you know where it's heading, and the whole film is practically a set up for the ending. Expand
Nesbitt10Dec 26, 2012
It's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economyIt's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economy collapses giving way to widespread organized crime. In 2074, time travel is invented but immediately prohibited. Because of advanced tracking systems in place, disposing of murder victims isn't possible, which in turn creates a "new" market and profession. Hence "Looper." Tilted camera angles, upside-down shots, super slow-motion; Johnson toys with experimental cinematography with formidable results. A fantastic time travel sci-fi thriller that is firmly character based, and not just solely relying on special effects or time travel. Rian's directing art house style is evident but it's also blended with some mainstream elements not seen much in previous films such as "'Brick". What flaws this film may possess can be easily absolved because the overall experience is extraordinary. Expand
SwatiFeb 15, 2013
The pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had doneThe pace during the first hour was relentless. But then it varied so much I looked at the timer several times. Nonetheless, it was great if not awesome. Rainmaker is just a boogeyman. I was disappointed that they didn't show what he had done or was capable of, and I wouldn't have minded if they had added ten, fifteen minutes to shed light on his character. Gordon-Levitt earned some respect from me for his performance. Somehow I also enjoyed watching Willis. Blunt was surprisingly good too. All in all, this is one of the best sci-fi flicks I've ever seen. Expand
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually"Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually use your mind." B+ Expand
cabritaSep 29, 2012
Looper is an exciting and intriguing science fiction film; even if some of it's shots are cliche and there may be a few plot holes. It is a film that had me from it's opening shots and pulled me through different tones and pacing but I sayLooper is an exciting and intriguing science fiction film; even if some of it's shots are cliche and there may be a few plot holes. It is a film that had me from it's opening shots and pulled me through different tones and pacing but I say this in a good way. The first act set up the themes, world and complexeties of the story even if it's not directly related to the rest. It is not a film that solely relies on it's concept; above all Looper is about characters and the moral decisions they have to make. Expand
StaticSpineSep 29, 2012
The most interesting Movie of 2012 by far. The storyline is just great. If the middle of the wasn't a bit overextended, I think I'd give it a 10. The Movie is full of memorable characters, the actors play well. Also the ending is really intense!
Andys_ReviewsJun 23, 2013
A very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis gettingA very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis getting that majority of the screen time. I also liked Emily Blunt as Sara, Jeff Daniels as Abe and the young Pierce Gagnon as Cid. Although it did many things right I did feel it was a little unevenly paced in places. It seemed to get a little bogged down in the dialogue which slowed it down a little too much a couple of times. Other than that I found it quite enthralling and one I’d happily watch again sometime.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.6/10
Knicksfan7Oct 17, 2012
I've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just hadI've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just had 2 minor flaws. It got a little bit boring a few times throughout the film but it was recovered quickly each time and it seemed a bit overly long but when you think about it there really wasn't a scene you could take out so i'll give Looper a 9.5/10. This is definitely the biggest surprise of 2012 for me, i didn't expect much from this film. I just expected another dumb time-travel involved film, but this one actually had an amazing plot that was near perfectly executed. Expand