7.7

1. Nov 25, 2014
    Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication,Looper could possibly be my favourite film of 2012. It's not quite as good as 2010's Inception, but it's certainly the most thought provoking and entertaining Sci-Fi since then and personally I think Looper is a worthy mention alongside Sci-Fi's such as Inception, The Matrix and 12 Monkeys. To Rian Johnson's credit, this film has everything. It boasts originality and sophistication, thought provoking story telling, visually it's spectacular, the set pieces are thoroughly enjoyable and all round the performances are as equally impressive. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favourite actors in recent years and he's brilliant here. I was pleased to see him take centre stage after a successful run of supporting roles. And Bruce Willis actually looks interested for a change and he gives his best performance in years. Emily Blunt is strong also and I was surprised to see underrated actor Jeff Daniels in a supporting role for the first time in years. Most Sci-Fi's attempt to be as big and loud as possible. But tonally I think Looper hits a similar chord to Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. It's an impressive, ambitious and intelligent piece of filmmaking from Rian Johnson. And to the films credit it doesn't get carried away with an excessive sense of scale and it doesn't over complicate itself with too many unnecessary characters and multiple distractive plot threads. Also it balances the action perfectly knowing exactly when to throw in a set piece for good measure. Looper is a thoroughly enjoyable piece of filmmaking and I'm intrigued to see what the likes of Rian Johnson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt do next. Collapse Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    It's a thrilling piece of futuristic mayhem! An original and mind-blowing creation from newcomer Rian Johnson. Unfortunately, several of its performances fell short of the film's brilliance.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    Loopers are killers for hire - only they're tasked to get rid of the targets sent to them from the future. Easy gigs - as long as you don't let your target escape.

The story starts a little slow, then picks up speed when Joe finally misses his target - himself. Which means in thirty-odd years, he'll be sent back to be killed by his younger self. Only his old self isn't willing to be taken down so easily.

There is a plot inside the plot, which is definitely better than the original plot you keep expecting from the beginning; when the two Joe's come to some kind of understanding, that something's going on in the future that started here in the past, they begin to uncover the truth behind all the dying Loopers. They might not be moving towards a common goal but they still head that way.

There's a decent amount of action as well as good story-telling; you couldn't tell how things are going to end. That's definitely one of the best qualities of the film because it keeps you on your toes to the end.

The effects are nice, giving the movie a very realistic feel.
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    Looper is not just a "science fiction flick" it has very innovated inventions in its own way, the story is and the concept of the story are top notch, reminds me of "Inception" and "12 Monkeys"
  5. Jun 18, 2014
    Looper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good asLooper is generally good in terms of both "science-fiction" and "crime thriller". The idea of time travel is obviously exciting, which in particular permits us to kill our own "future guy" who is also a target for the mob, while thriller, crime genre has always been highly favored by even the most fastidious film critics. But that's all to say about Looper. It is far from as good as Minority Report ( sci-fi ) or goodfellas ( crime thriller ) Expand
  6. May 1, 2014
    In fact it is one of the best movies I have watched. It entertains as lots of other movies but it also gives us a very serious message to think over. www.viewforum.net/movie-stunned-me-150/looper-2012-a-3852/
  7. Mar 13, 2014
    This film is the definition of terrible! It has more plot holes than I can count, this films time travelling rules are about as backwards as its storyline, it had random telekinetic abilities stuck in that had no influence on the story at all. And the ending made the whole film pointless since it apparently shouldn't have happened.
  8. Jan 8, 2014
    Despite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film is shot well. If you want a good fim to watch go check this one out it is pretty good.
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    "Looper" was fine as mindless entertainment but if you think too much all the holes show up. Considering all the positive reviews I was very disappointed. The ending alone was tough to swallow and left me feeling "had". Futuristic movies can stretch the imagination as long as the story lines make sense within itself. "Looper" just makes no sense. An 8 for Garret Dillahunt of whom I"Looper" was fine as mindless entertainment but if you think too much all the holes show up. Considering all the positive reviews I was very disappointed. The ending alone was tough to swallow and left me feeling "had". Futuristic movies can stretch the imagination as long as the story lines make sense within itself. "Looper" just makes no sense. An 8 for Garret Dillahunt of whom I have been a fan since "Deadwood". Other than that just an okay movie. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2013
    An intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feelAn intelligently written and fairly original sci-fi thriller that carries a decent amount of emotional resonance; Looper will reward your time greatly, if not exactly perfectly. The premise is somewhat similar to other time travel movies, like The Terminator, but it's been reworked into something more intellectually complex while staying fairly easy to follow. The characters all feel fleshed out and all have extremely well rounded personalities. (This is no Prometheus.) Action is rarely this exhilaratingly brutal. None of it feels like filler here. Every last shot and every fight is embedded with incendiary energy. While the movie is extremely well acted and decently unique it still lacks the weight to be a masterpiece, but I'm not exactly sure why. The fault may lie in its futuristic world. A lot of the environments seemed unimaginative and I kept yearning for this future to catch up to the narrative in terms of creativity and awe. That's not to say that the film lacks atmosphere. It's just missing that extra spark to make it incredible. Still, it's definitely worth seeing, and is head and shoulders above most action fare. Expand
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    Looper is a film with great ideas,but unfortunately these ideas weren't so well used,besides of this i can't say that it's a bad movie,but i would do lots of things on this universe.
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    Looper starts out great. The plot is fresh and original, the acting is pretty good, Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a hell of a lot like an actual young Bruce Willis, and the movie goes from there, with JGL trying to chase his "future self" through the present. This movie is complex, but once you hit Nirvana with the idea, like Inception, you will understand everything.

As Levitt chases his

As Levitt chases his future self through the world, he stumbles across a farmhouse, and there lies Emily Blunt. From that point in the movie --a little under halfway-- the plot shifts, and is all about Blunt's son. (I won't spoil what happens anymore).I hated this plot shift as the focus of the movie veered off the side of the road of getting to the intended finale. other than this, the movie isn't half bad.
  13. Sep 3, 2013
    Outstanding movie. It also makes Bruce Willis the only actor to star in not one but two flawless time travel movies. The movie is much better than the trailers appear to indicate the action isn't the focus, but a really deep, compelling and surprising story. I was seriously impressed with the consistency. The photography, acting, score and plot are superb as well, but the fact that theOutstanding movie. It also makes Bruce Willis the only actor to star in not one but two flawless time travel movies. The movie is much better than the trailers appear to indicate the action isn't the focus, but a really deep, compelling and surprising story. I was seriously impressed with the consistency. The photography, acting, score and plot are superb as well, but the fact that the movie continues to surprise with unexpected plot twists while telling a convincing and not inane time travel story is astonishing. I wish I had seen this one in the theaters. Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    Looper is an original, inventive and incredibly entertaining film that is both well-made and well acted, but it does suffer from some dumb little errors. But those errors aside, Looper is plenty of great fun.
  15. Aug 14, 2013
    Looper is the best movie I've seen in 2012 and the best of the science fiction genre. The environment shown in the movie is just perfect, holding off, the extremely unreal. The best role that has been assigned to Joseph Gordon Levit in his career.

Looper es la mejor pelicula que he visto en 2012 y de lo mejor del genero de ciencia ficcion. El ambiente mostrado en la pelicula es simplemente perfecto, manteniendo a raya, lo extremadamente irreal. El mejor papel que se le ha asignado a Joseph Gordon Levit en su carrera.
  16. Aug 8, 2013
    Looper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get theLooper portrays time-travelling better than most movies and also includes some maybe unexpected emotional messages that make it more than just an entertaining sci-fi flick. Director Rian Johnson gives us just enough explanation to understand the time-travelling aspects and at some parts, re-thinking what happened later on is almost necessary. However, because of this, you don’t get the feeling that information is being thrown at you to help you with comprehending. It has good acting even in little supporting roles, distances itself from typical Hollywood movies with sometimes long dialogue sequences but also several wordless shots, and has absolutely sightly visuals. It profits from the self-ironic approach of director Rian Johnson and its little flaws can be forgiven. Due to all of that, it becomes a movie that you are definitely going to remember and that you will do well in buying on DVD or Blu-Ray since watching it a second time and then fully grasping everything that's going on is just as much fun as the first time. Expand
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THERE IS A SPOILER IN HERE! I FEEL, THOUGH, THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ADDRESS IT!What garbage! The previews were very vague and now I see why. If the previews showed that Willis's character was going around shooting up children then I'd say it would get no views at all. Getting through the first 15 minutes was a chore, then the nude girls started showing up. Time to fast forward a scene or two. Then it starts to get interesting as Willis and Levitt meet up in current time. Well, more interesting than it was. Then Willis's character starts to kill children (with what all is going on today who thought it was a good idea to glamorize this idea???). That would have warranted an instant shut of, but it left me so dark that I had to fast forward to the end to get some closure to the movie, where I saw another child get shot in the face. Even though the movie ends with a little closure concerning the situation it wasn't enough, and afterward I had to watch a comedy just to shake the bad energy. The plot was crap, barely coherent in any way, and if you're paying attention even in the slightest you'll pick up on a major hole that should ruin the whole movie anyway. Absolutely a ZERO in every way. Willis and Levitt should be more careful of the movie roles they chose. Sometimes your character choice leaves a bad impression on your fans. My verdict: craptacular, absolutely avoid this move. Expand
  18. Jul 28, 2013
    this movie is held together barely by duct tape logic. The producers really cashed in on people who just want a total escape into absurdity really so many holes the cast should've felled to their deaths but somehow they managed to live. Great entertainment loved this movie i really liked campy time travel logic i really loved going down the rabbit hole.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    By far the best Bruce Willis film I have ever seen. It is not just a lazy action film, the plot and characters and really quite clever, and the ending is superb. You won't be disapointed...
  20. Jul 11, 2013
    The Looper is a decent but strangely disjointed movie. Time travel is always a tricky proposition and, if one were to think hard enough, there are a bunch of reasons why The looper doesn't make sense. But it is a sci-fi film, so what the hell. It's well acted and unpredictable, both of which are a plus. More heart and less cane fields would have been much appreciated, though.
  21. Jul 6, 2013
    A great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a lifeA great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a life or death situation you feel the moment so the ending was unexpected and sad, but understood the decision made with a meaningful action. Expand
  22. Jul 1, 2013
    The time travel paradox is glaringly obvious in this one. But it has to be. The movie itself would cease to exist otherwise :)

Summary - Short on Zzzzz's before watching? You might find a lengthy spot to catch up on them. - Brilliant. NO. (bit of no-brainer after-the-fact) - Clever. MOSTLY. - Good acting. SOME OF IT VERY GOOD. - Worth it. YES. (well... it's not a drink coaster

Summary
    - Brilliant. NO. (bit of no-brainer after-the-fact)
    - Clever. MOSTLY.
    - Good acting. SOME OF IT VERY GOOD.
    - Worth it. YES. (well... it's not a drink coaster anyway.....)

Would I watch it again. I don't know. Did I?
  23. Jun 28, 2013
    The idea of this film I found to be absolutely fantastic. However, I feel it could have been executed better. I'd heard rave reviews about the film, reading them and from friends so I gave the film a try and found it to be very anti-climatic compared to the plot. To me, it seems like they thought the plot was good enough to make a hit film and not fill it with the right content.

I

I enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought I would.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    A very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis getting that majority of the screen time. I also liked Emily Blunt as Sara, Jeff Daniels as Abe and the young Pierce Gagnon as Cid. Although it did many thingsA very well made film with many practical effects used instead of relying on CGI all the time; hats off to the filmmakers for taking that route. Performance-wise, everyone did a great job with Joseph Gordon-Lovett and Bruce Willis getting that majority of the screen time. I also liked Emily Blunt as Sara, Jeff Daniels as Abe and the young Pierce Gagnon as Cid. Although it did many things right I did feel it was a little unevenly paced in places. It seemed to get a little bogged down in the dialogue which slowed it down a little too much a couple of times. Other than that I found it quite enthralling and one I’d happily watch again sometime.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.6/10
  25. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is ok. It has an interesting plot and i liked the futuristic action and all this stuff. However there was something missing in that film. Maybe the actors, or the ending or the 'power' of that kid. I don't know. I enjoyed it but I knew that something was missing from Looper Expand
  26. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best Sci-fi thrillers to come about in a long time, Looper brings the audience an original story with great intensity and relatable characters. The film is intelligently written and touches on themes of fate, responsibility, and coming of age. I personally loved Joe's character arch and how he changes as the movie goes on. A must see and one of the 5 best movies of 2012.
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    It is apparent that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is talented enough to be portraying a younger Bruce Willis. Pierce Gagnon (a.k.a Cid) is possibly the most skillful child actor to be seen in a film recently. Not even eight years old yet, the director of the film admits to having been amazed and privileged to have worked with him. He deserves more credit. Furthermore, despite the fact that Levitt'sIt is apparent that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is talented enough to be portraying a younger Bruce Willis. Pierce Gagnon (a.k.a Cid) is possibly the most skillful child actor to be seen in a film recently. Not even eight years old yet, the director of the film admits to having been amazed and privileged to have worked with him. He deserves more credit. Furthermore, despite the fact that Levitt's make-up to resemble Willis was far too exaggerated and distinct to be unnatural throughout the movie, Looper was a spectacular work of science fiction. It delivered beyond the expectations of the public by combining the good-old time travel tradition with the emotional hardship of facing your future-self (with a view to killing him). Watching it was like reading a good book. When it's over there's just something missing... Expand
  28. Jun 4, 2013
    "Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually use your mind." B+
  29. May 21, 2013
    The first negative thing any critic will mention about this film is the plotholes. But you just have to remember that it is a time travel film and there is no escaping it, so you may as well embrace it. Was the Back to the Future franchise any less of a prodigy because of its gaping plotholes?
    That being said, this film is far from perfect while clever in a lot of respects (in many instances it does seem like there was a lot of thought put into it), it often comes off as thinking it's cleverer than it is.
    The whole thing is one big Terminator reference, and it seems to think that simply being self aware of the fact is justification enough. The pacing is also somewhat off-target and messy, as well as the plot as a whole.
    That in mind, it actually manages to provide an experience that is not totally forgettable. The occasional interesting plot device and hidden gem of insight mixed with some attention-grabbing, if somewhat jarring, pacing actually managed to make me take notice of this movie.
    In the end this movie won't change your life, but it will keep you entertained and maybe you'll even remember a thing or two about it in a year's time.
  30. May 18, 2013
    I like the idea of time traveling, and this movie had it`s own unique style, but I can`t say I enjoyed it as much as I was hoping to. I`t was really hard to care for any of the characters. I`t didn`t matter who died, and would care less if those that lived died. The ending did get really interesting, I won`t say why but the movie goes up a notch, and almost makes it worth staying until the end.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Oct 1, 2012
    For all its mayhem, runs like a mad and slightly sad machine, whirring with hints of folly and regret, and the ending, remarkably, makes elegant sense to a degree that eludes most science fictions. How to describe it, without giving anything away? Scrambled, but rare. [1 Oct. 2012, p.84]
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Sep 28, 2012
    Looper felt to me like a maddening near-miss: It posits an impossible but fascinating-to-imagine relationship...and then throws away nearly all the dramatic potential that relationship offers. If someone remakes Looper as the movie it could have been in, say, 30 years, will someone from the future please FedEx it back to me?
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Sep 28, 2012
    I'm not ready to proclaim Looper a sci-fi masterpiece just yet; let's let it sit awhile. But it's a lean, mean, smart, violent picture with a bit of Stanley Kubrick edge, fueled by the terrific Gordon-Levitt.