5.4

1. Jan 11, 2012
    It's hard to know where to start with this mess of a movie when almost everything is so horribly wrong. The writing is absolutely appalling ("Within these eggsacks lives a monster race of spiders!"), the direction is non-existent, the plot flails around at random, and the effects are incredibly dated. However, most of all, what truly makes Lost in Space a wretched experience, is the cast. Oftentimes the robot (simply named 'Robot') has more emotional depth than the human characters. William Hurt and Matt LeBlanc put on embarrassingly awful performances, and being the two male leads, this is unforgivable. Lines are just lackadaisically read in standard middle-shots no matter the scenario. Gary Oldman brings his usual A-grade ham, and Jared Harris uses a bizarre cartoon-character like speech pattern for his role. The film is not offensively bad, but most certainly is not worth the two-hours of its running time. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    I saw this when I was 14 or 15 so my review definitely doesn't have a lot of credibility. I liked the movie enough to watch it a few times, but I do remember most of it being cheesy and predictable. Although to give it more credit, the original was extremely cheesy, what would you expect from a 50s show? I felt the story needed to be more centered around one issue, but it felt random. But perhaps it was doomed from the start. The main premise is that they are lost in space and they have lots of adventures. So, perhaps this should have been a show and not a movie. This film is decent, that is the best way to describe it. Gary Oldman is wonderful as usual, great character. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    A very good Si-Fi movie !
    Good for the all family, good story, just a little long.
    It's not the best film ever made but would deserve to be more known
  4. Mar 14, 2013
    I'll be honest when I say I actually liked this movie. I know it gets allot of bad reviews from allot of people, and I understand and agree their opinions. But, I enjoyed at and found it entertaining. As long as you don't take it too seriously and enjoy it for what it is then it can be fun. Overall: It's a crap movie, but I still enjoyed regardless of all its flaws.

Hardware doesn't make a movie; characters, be they Blawp or human, do. And as so often happens with such outsize undertakings, they are overwhelmed by the gizmos. Technology, one. Astros, naught.
    Time-travel cliches, female characters who exert authority only so we'll laugh at the pussy-whipped males, dialogue that's neither self-mocking nor serious, and an ostentatious though not particularly exciting production design keep the movie from taking off.
  3. Reviewed by: Darren Bignell
    Though there's an obvious, admirable effort to supply character development and plot twists, the set-work and special effects - both stylish and stunning - tend to dominate.