8.3

1. MichaelJ.
    Dec 25, 2007
    The occasional overdone moments are far outweighed by the heart touching warmth of this film. If you are looking for a deep dredging of of the human soul read Kafka or watch The Pianist. This is a light hearted reminder of some of the joy of life. And what's wrong with that? A good example of why one shouldn't listen to critics.
  2. ConnnieR.
    Dec 10, 2003
    I absolutely loved this film. The screenplay and the acting were superb. The director did a fantastic job switching from one love story to the next. Not all of the stories had happy endings, but that is true in real life. The musical score was great. Do not miss this fantastic movie. As for Hannah, if she really is Hannah, all you have are sour grapes.
  3. MelT.
    Jan 5, 2004
    Without a doubt, 'Love Actually' is an entertaining and feel-good film, which I would seriously recommend. With a brilliant cast, this film delivers laugh after laugh, but keeps the balance with some very touching and emotional scenes. The characters are strong and very likeable, especially the wildly humerous Billy Mack. Emma Thompson is fantastic and plays her role with great Without a doubt, 'Love Actually' is an entertaining and feel-good film, which I would seriously recommend. With a brilliant cast, this film delivers laugh after laugh, but keeps the balance with some very touching and emotional scenes. The characters are strong and very likeable, especially the wildly humerous Billy Mack. Emma Thompson is fantastic and plays her role with great sensitivity; she deserves as much credit as Billy Nighy has had for his portrayal of the fallen popstar. There are perhaps too many chatacters to concentrate on, and I'd like to have seen several of these more devloped. However, 'Love Actually' is genuinely funny and is impossible to dislike, especially with Hugh Grant wiggling his bottom to the pop song, 'Jump' Collapse
  4. Fantasy
    Nov 8, 2003
    Forget the professional critics as by now we should all know their opinions are completely worthless. I saw the sneak preview last weekend in front of a packed theater and the audience loved it. If it has any flaws, it's a simple feel good movie involving 9 different stories all going on simultaneously with the endings telegraphed a mile away. Despite this fact, as the story moves Forget the professional critics as by now we should all know their opinions are completely worthless. I saw the sneak preview last weekend in front of a packed theater and the audience loved it. If it has any flaws, it's a simple feel good movie involving 9 different stories all going on simultaneously with the endings telegraphed a mile away. Despite this fact, as the story moves from couple to couple, you can't wait until it cuts back to the relationship you are watching. The directors timing is absolutely perfect. It features a great soundtrack taken mostly from the 1960's. The predominantly British actors are all wonderful and their timing in delivering their lines is impeccable. The comedy is intertwined to perfection. Bill Nighy as the old fart, over-the-hill, down and out pop singer absolutely steals the show. And, most importantly, we all see ourselves in the romance as it appears genuine. You will leave the theater in a great frame of mind. Just go see it and enjoy. Expand
  5. SidneyF.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Just a wonderful feel good movie where the many stories are pulled together piece by piece. Each time the director cuts away to another story, you wish he didn't but within seconds you are drawn into the next story emotionally. It is as if you are watching nine movies all at once? Somehow, it all works beautifully and the end result is that you leave the theater walking on air. Just a wonderful feel good movie where the many stories are pulled together piece by piece. Each time the director cuts away to another story, you wish he didn't but within seconds you are drawn into the next story emotionally. It is as if you are watching nine movies all at once? Somehow, it all works beautifully and the end result is that you leave the theater walking on air. Highly recommended. Expand
  6. ValK.
    Dec 2, 2003
    This is one of the best movies I have enjoyed in years. Simply great. Kudo's to our British neighbors for this holiday delight.
  7. WaltD.
    Jan 24, 2004
    The best movie of the holiday season. Somewhat corny but the stories blend together beautifully with a great musical score. Bill Nighly steals the show. As in life, some stories have happy endings, some don't, while others are to be continued...
  8. Jan 16, 2011
    To all those who have watched it: I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.
    To all those who haven't watched it yet: what are you waiting for?
  9. LizT
    Apr 21, 2009
    Isn't this comment website suppose to be opinionated? If you like the movie, that is great, if you don't, well that is how you just see it. There isn't any need to say things that you have lost your respect for people, becasue it is jsut a movie, it doesn't mean anything. But on the otehr hand, i did like this movie, it was hilarious. A downer i thought of the movie is Isn't this comment website suppose to be opinionated? If you like the movie, that is great, if you don't, well that is how you just see it. There isn't any need to say things that you have lost your respect for people, becasue it is jsut a movie, it doesn't mean anything. But on the otehr hand, i did like this movie, it was hilarious. A downer i thought of the movie is that i really saw how the creators, directors or whoever TRIED to make some of the characters seem funnier than they really were. But i would like to ask ANYONE who knew what the music was called when the Prime Minister and the President were in a Press Confrence and the Prime Minister was stating that he will not tolerate the Presidents 'bullying' towards the the PM. Expand
  10. PaulaD.
    Dec 13, 2003
    I actually loved it.
  11. Harry
    Dec 14, 2003
    This movie rocked. Loved it.
  12. WendyT.
    Dec 27, 2003
    The best movie of this holiday season.
  13. PerryH.
    Dec 28, 2003
    This movie is just a wonderful present from our friends in Great Britain. It is not to be missed. There aren't enough superalitives to state how enjoyable this film is. Don't miss it.
  14. DudleyR.
    Dec 6, 2003
    Fantastic I had a ball.
  15. RayK.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Loved it.
  16. UnbearableLightness
    Dec 10, 2003
    Not every plot line was... well, good. But it accomplished what it set out to do. It made me feel warm and fuzzy walking out of the theatre and sometimes that is enough... Plus, Colin Firth is worth paying 12 bucks to drool over anytime.
  17. MakoK.
    Dec 14, 2003
    I just loved this movie. I came out of the theater with a smile on my face and I was not the only one!Very intelligent and funny script by Richard Curtis.
  18. KerryL.
    Dec 16, 2003
    God this film was absolutely out of this world. it was amazing. the cast was brilliant, the story was brilliant. it was devenitely not a waste of money. it will be a film which i will buy on dvd. SUPER!!!
  19. Terryf.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Gee, another Robert Plant foreigner and guess what Hannah didn't like it either. Well, we did. It is a great holiday movie and a lot of fun. Nice to hear you are so close to the cast and crew.
  20. Goliath
    Dec 9, 2003
    Another Robert Plant plant eh? Hannah, we loved the movie plain and simple. Do us a favor and take a slow boat to where people appreciate your warped sense of politcal reality. Do not miss this Holiday Delight.
  21. LaceyT.
    Dec 3, 2003
    Loved every minute of it. Why can't they make more movies like this?
  22. BobS.
    Dec 22, 2004
    It is a wonderful feel good movie that will have your heart achy for a relationship and those that think it was a bad movie most likely have given up on love or felt like love has cost them something.
  23. LukeS.
    Aug 26, 2004
    Actually...pretty brilliant! It's amazing what happens when you give full control to a master writer director (Richard Curtis) in the production of a romantic comedy. For this first time in history we have one that is REALLY worth watching. Loved it - made me laugh, cry and hurl.
  24. WassoZ.
    May 11, 2004
    The movie worth 7, but the other 3 points, are for the prime minister of england (H Grant). I wish he could be real, and say these words to President of the US in real life. ... yeah right!
  25. JamesY.
    Apr 30, 2004
    In a time of hate and greed, it is nice to see that a movie like Love Actually can be made. It's pretty unrealistic as a film, but the cast are obviously enjoying themselves, and it leaves you with such a good feeling that it'll be hard not to have a huge goofy grin on your face when it's over.
  26. JorgeA.
    Jun 4, 2004
    A great movie, great actors (Hugh Grant is the best comedy actor), good rowan atkinson. Very good job, congratulations.
  27. CMeyer
    Nov 13, 2003
    LOVED IT!!!! one of the best romantic comedies in quite awhile ("Notting Hill" comes to mind last?). A FEEL GOOD FLICK of the YEAR! you can't help but leave with a tear in your eye and happy fuzzy feeling in your stomach!!
  28. KurtK.
    Nov 14, 2003
    In my humle opinion this film, is the film of the year, and hear me out when I say this. I think everyone is ignoring the whole premise of the whole movie, the fact that love exists in so many ways. How can you not swallow that whole. I am an eternal optimist, and this reaffirms my belief that there is love all around, and that while we all do stupid things, there is good inside of us. In my humle opinion this film, is the film of the year, and hear me out when I say this. I think everyone is ignoring the whole premise of the whole movie, the fact that love exists in so many ways. How can you not swallow that whole. I am an eternal optimist, and this reaffirms my belief that there is love all around, and that while we all do stupid things, there is good inside of us. Each little story is showing us all the different facets of love. I don't think we all realize how much it's there. I think this film illustrates that, better than any film I have seen recently. I think Hugh Grant is once again, brilliant. How can you not like him, I think it's close to impossible. Add to that a number of actors, cast near perfect and you have a damn good movie. Listen to your heart, see this movie. Expand
  29. SeanM.
    Nov 12, 2003
    This is my favorite romantic comedy of all time and all of you people that don't like must lack feelings or a heart. I am personally sick of critics who focus on specificites and ignore the question: did you actually like the movie? Did it make you laugh, cry, or feel some kind of emotion. Because, come on, movies are supposed to make you feel something and I think this movie did a This is my favorite romantic comedy of all time and all of you people that don't like must lack feelings or a heart. I am personally sick of critics who focus on specificites and ignore the question: did you actually like the movie? Did it make you laugh, cry, or feel some kind of emotion. Because, come on, movies are supposed to make you feel something and I think this movie did a perfect job of balancing the characters and the situations that they were involved in. Oh, so you say it was unrealistic, don't go to movies anymore than you stupid prick. If you want realistic, look out of your window, or stop typing retarded reviews on your computer and see if their is anything that you enjoy in life. I could see how this movie couldn't appeal to some. And the people I am talking about are the people who have been sucked in by television, computers, video games, or your life is just a blank canvas in which you are waiting to paint your view on life and while your at it you will dis anything that comes your way. Well, I'm sorry mister hard to please,(Critics in general) I will make sure to observe all the technical aspects in a movie so I can find a way, as you have, to suck all the fun and meaning out of life. Oh, by the way, love actually is a great movie and I strongly recommend it! Expand
  30. RonaldO.
    Nov 15, 2003
    This is one great movie despite the critics mediocre review. It's a holiday delight with a great score and some very good actors. Bill Nighy as the pop singer steals the show. Don't miss this if you want to leave the theater feeling good.
  31. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Absolutely sensational. The critics are so off that it is frightening. If you miss this movie it will be your loss. Bill Nighy is one funny dude. Don't miss this flick.
  32. SamK.
    Nov 14, 2003
    Simply Fantastic from start to finish.
  33. JaredH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    Wow, a movie that hits the mark in every sense of the word that one can relate to. Do not miss this masterpiece. Kudo's to all for such great entertainment.
  34. LeslieG.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Loved it! Simply loved it.
  35. KuniD.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Absolutely a great entertaining film! (unless if you are buying the ticket for this movie for all reasons but to have a laughs). I like where the British Prime Minister reacts to the American President -- It made me feel good even though in real life, that may not happen at all. Beg your parents or, cousins or, friends for money to see this movie if you don't have money. British Absolutely a great entertaining film! (unless if you are buying the ticket for this movie for all reasons but to have a laughs). I like where the British Prime Minister reacts to the American President -- It made me feel good even though in real life, that may not happen at all. Beg your parents or, cousins or, friends for money to see this movie if you don't have money. British Blockbusterrrrrrr! Expand
  36. AudreyB.
    Nov 20, 2003
    Wow! I have to see this again.
  37. HowardD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Chad, the imperfections you refer to is what makes this movie so great. Do you actually think that we all react logically to death? You have never heard of someone secretly loving but afraid to take action? Bill Nighy is an absolute scream. The nine stories are blended perfectly and one could only hope that the movie would have continued beyond where it ended. Because of all of lifes Chad, the imperfections you refer to is what makes this movie so great. Do you actually think that we all react logically to death? You have never heard of someone secretly loving but afraid to take action? Bill Nighy is an absolute scream. The nine stories are blended perfectly and one could only hope that the movie would have continued beyond where it ended. Because of all of lifes little pits, the fruit is more enjoyable and Love Actually is a major hit and a joy to behold. Don't miss it. Expand
    Nov 1, 2003
    Great movie! Wonderful cast and great soundtrack!
  39. JackR
    Nov 24, 2003
    Mikey, you must have been watching Kill Bill instead of Love Actually. One of the best feel good movies of the year. Tremendous acting and directing. And that soundtrack was superb. Bill Nighy the aging pop star was hilarious. This is a must see movie.
  40. AliceZ.
    Nov 6, 2003
    This is the best romantic comedy I've seen in a while! Hugh Grant and Colin Firth are awesome!
  41. MerrittM.
    Nov 10, 2003
    I loved it so much. It was funny and so adorable. I don't see how you can't like it!
  42. CarolAnnC.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Adam Luther, what did you say? If you heard another positive review about LOVE ACTUALLY you'd Kill Bill? You're probably one of those psycho QT fans who thought that piece of blood and gore garbage was entertaining? What were you doing watching a romantic comedy by yourself? You're so off base on your review that it's frightening. First of all, I take issue with you in Adam Luther, what did you say? If you heard another positive review about LOVE ACTUALLY you'd Kill Bill? You're probably one of those psycho QT fans who thought that piece of blood and gore garbage was entertaining? What were you doing watching a romantic comedy by yourself? You're so off base on your review that it's frightening. First of all, I take issue with you in that the direction was absolutely masterful. The nine stories blended together as if they were one. As we are deeply engaged in one storyline, as as if on cue the lead change is made to the next story without missing a beat. The acting was superb. The stories were NOT all the same. And NOT each story had a happy ending. It reflected real life situations we have all been involved in. Loving someone from afar without having the conviction to do something about it is real LIFE. In LOVE ACTUALLY, some of the characters took the leap of faith while others were afraid to act. And, by not doing so, ACTUALLY lost their opportunity for LOVE. There were other storylines where other commitments prevented love from being fulfilled. As for the actors they were on top of their game, but none more so than Bill Nighy as the aging pop star who was extremely funny. Of course, you made no mention of him in your review nor did you comment on Hugh Grant who blended in perfectly instead of trying to steal the film. As for the soundtrack, all you need do is see how many CD's have already been sold to realize that you are so off on this one that your review should be filed in the circular trash can where it belongs. Liam Neeson was fabulous in that he emerged from his own problems to help his son ACTUALLY conquer his. If you look at how the people rated the movie as over 85% ACTUALLY LOVEd it you will see where your opinion stands? You are in the minority who did not enjoy LOVE ACTUALLY? Remember, what the world needs now is LOVE SWEET LOVE and LOVE ACTUALLY really hits the mark. Don't miss it as it is one of the best movies of the year. Expand
  43. MarkD.
    Nov 11, 2003
    Very, Very Good (not perfect, but close)...and as sappy as it is (hey, Hugh Grant is his usual bumbling self), at least not EVERYONE ends up happy/in love in the end!
  44. LindaL
    Nov 26, 2003
    Love, love, loved it. It's easy. What the world needs now? Love Actually.
  45. DavidD.
    Nov 11, 2003
    Love Actually is absolutely perfect as I could not have enjoyed it anymore than I did. If you do not see it, you are missing out on a special treat.
  46. FrancoisNewYork
    Jan 9, 2004
    Great, fun, sensible, adorable, it is a very good piece of entertainment. Better that Notting Hill or 4 weddings, it mixes very well drama and comedy. Go and spend 2 delicious hours of your time.
  47. DrewH.
    Dec 1, 2003
    Saw Love Actually this weekend and thought it was terrific. Left the theater walking on air. If you haven't seen this Holiday treat you should do so without delay. In preparing this review I was kind of upset that foreigners are taking potshots at our great country and President. I do not think a movie review board is intended for this purpose. [Ed: I agree!] The review of the movie Saw Love Actually this weekend and thought it was terrific. Left the theater walking on air. If you haven't seen this Holiday treat you should do so without delay. In preparing this review I was kind of upset that foreigners are taking potshots at our great country and President. I do not think a movie review board is intended for this purpose. [Ed: I agree!] The review of the movie is as off as this person's political ideology. Love Actually is wonderful treat from our best ally, Great Britain. Do not miss it. Expand
  48. LaneR.
    Nov 25, 2003
    This movie was great. Not all love stories end up happily after all and that is the point! Keira Knightly is gorgeous and she married the wrong guy (spoilers omitted) but crap happens. Alan Rickman strayed from the nest but was forgiven by Emma Thompson for the children's sake. Love is all around us and not every story has a happy ending. Many of you missed the point the entirely. This movie was great. Not all love stories end up happily after all and that is the point! Keira Knightly is gorgeous and she married the wrong guy (spoilers omitted) but crap happens. Alan Rickman strayed from the nest but was forgiven by Emma Thompson for the children's sake. Love is all around us and not every story has a happy ending. Many of you missed the point the entirely. This is one great movie wit some of the finest acting you will ever see. The storylines meshed together without so much as missing a beat. The music was fantastic. And Bill Nighy is simply drop dead funny. Great movie all the way a round. Expand
  49. TheElusivePossom
    Dec 2, 2003
    OK, did anyone else get bored reading Robert Plant's review? Anyway, I found this film to be funny, heart-warming, but suitably sad in places. And the girl singer at the end is AMAZING. Plus "boners" points for the inclusion of Denise Richards (yum) and Keira Knightley (yum yum!). MUSE RULE!
  50. CharlesF.
    Dec 2, 2003
    This was one great movie. Who the hell is this Robert Plant/Adam Luther/Thomas K who all appear to be the same person? Why the hatred for America and its President and people, when this is Britain's treat to America? This is one feel good romantic comedy that should not be missed. Simply sensational.
  51. TedP.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Love Actually is the hit of the season. If you do not enjoy this feel good flick then you're unAmerican (Plant). Seriously, do not pay attention to left wing liberal Monday morning quarterbacks who know nothing about life or for that matter good movies. This is one of the best. The acting, directing and screenplay is simply fabulous. Love Actually is all around us.
  52. Fusichinucca
    Dec 2, 2003
    Love Actually is a perfect ten. Plant should be planted in the ground as the tomato he is. Just ignore this political fool. Want to see a great movie? Watch and enjoy.
  53. PennelopeT.
    Nov 28, 2003
    I actually LOVED it. The British cast was outstanding but none more so than Mr. Nighly who was outrageously funny as an over-the-hill rock singer. The music score was brilliant. Do Not miss Love Actually.
  54. BobbieL.
    Nov 29, 2003
    I absolutely loved this movie. It was simply wonderful.
  55. DanD.
    Nov 29, 2003
    Without a doubt one of the best feel good movies of the year. Bill Nighy was sensational. His redone rock number was brilliantly done. As for the rest of the ensemble cast they blended together as if they were one. Curtis direction was simply fabulous. I would recommend this film to anyone who wants to have a great time being entertained.
  56. TyroneT.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Actually loved every minute of it and only wish I could have seen more. Without a doubt one of the better movies this year with a fantastic ensemble cast. Bill Nighy made me fall down laughing. My date and I loved it. This is entertainment that everyone should enjoy. Love Actually works.
  57. MemyselfandI
    Feb 4, 2004
    It was magical and hilarious. It made me feel dead christmassy. Keira and Andrew Lincoln are fantastic!I f you didn't love it, whats wrong with you?
  58. TheodoreG.
    Nov 29, 2003
    I am terribly offended that this Robert Plant who is British has the audacity to attack the public that liked this movie which I thought was great. But what is even more disturbing is his open admission that he hates President Bush, and the American Government. My response is IF not for Americans during WW II you little Nansy Pansy would be saying Zieg Heil today. You have one hell of a I am terribly offended that this Robert Plant who is British has the audacity to attack the public that liked this movie which I thought was great. But what is even more disturbing is his open admission that he hates President Bush, and the American Government. My response is IF not for Americans during WW II you little Nansy Pansy would be saying Zieg Heil today. You have one hell of a nerve insulting Americans as without us you would be speaking German. If you do not like our country and what America STANDS FOR do us a favor and take a hike. Metacritic is for rating movies NOT your political rants and raves. You know as much about US as the little you seem to know about LOVE ACTUALLY. The British actors were superb and I am sure that they would be highly insulted with your radical political babbling. Expand
  59. DeniseH.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Without a doubt one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. Mr. Plant must have been watching something else? Do not miss this Holiday delight.
  60. Chris
    Jan 15, 2004
    Loved it- but would have liked to see Hugh Grant a little bit more. Yummy!
  61. LiamS.
    Feb 25, 2004
    This movie was excellent. Stellar acting performances by Emma Thompson, Colin Firth and Hugh Grant carry this picture to heights which, quite frankly, I would have thought impossible from watching the trailers for the movie. While the premise is banal and somewhat goofy, the wonderful acting and the genuinely touching scenes make this a far better movie than much of what passes for This movie was excellent. Stellar acting performances by Emma Thompson, Colin Firth and Hugh Grant carry this picture to heights which, quite frankly, I would have thought impossible from watching the trailers for the movie. While the premise is banal and somewhat goofy, the wonderful acting and the genuinely touching scenes make this a far better movie than much of what passes for "romantic comedies" these days. (The last great movie of this genre that I recall was "About a Boy", which also starred Hugh Grant.) The only reason why I didn't rate this movie a 10 is due to the somewhat weak and formulaic ending to the picture. It should have ended about 5 minutes before it actually did. Expand
  62. GeorgiaD.
    Feb 14, 2004
    Beautiful, sickening, deliriously funny yet uncontrollably upsetting, Love Actually is the ultimate rom-com by Richard Curtis, who also brought us Four Weddings & A Funeral, Notting Hill and Bridget Jones' Diary. Although I spent 3/4 of the movie wiping the tears from my ridiculously sensitive eyes, a heartwarming film nevertheless, and one of very few films which I intend to buy the Beautiful, sickening, deliriously funny yet uncontrollably upsetting, Love Actually is the ultimate rom-com by Richard Curtis, who also brought us Four Weddings & A Funeral, Notting Hill and Bridget Jones' Diary. Although I spent 3/4 of the movie wiping the tears from my ridiculously sensitive eyes, a heartwarming film nevertheless, and one of very few films which I intend to buy the second it comes out on DVD. Forget what the NYT or the Wall Street Journal has to say, hear it from a normal single woman with normal feelings - this is a beautiful film which will have you smiling and wiping the tears away in no time. Includes some brilliant moments, such as the porn star story, the little boy who's in love and the single English guy who decides to find love in America, yet has some terribly chin-shaking moments such as when Keira Knightley's character realises ..... and the Liam Neeson's wife's funeral. Just don't forget plenty of tissues! Expand
  63. IdgyL.
    Apr 26, 2004
    I'm all todgered out with love for Love Actually. It makes me realise that even hairy LD gentlemen can someday find love. This is a lovely film...Actually.
  64. RobertM.
    Apr 26, 2004
    This was a perfect movie - an intelligent script, great cast and superb direction - this is what movie making should be about - entertaining the audience without insulting thier intelligence.
  65. TommyK.
    Apr 28, 2004
    This movie was pure genius. No slow idoitic wasteful ste up. The set up is given as it should be and we the audience are given the credit we deserve as being able to understand and follow it. Everything was perfect, i loved the whole thing, it shows every type of love. There are more jokes than there should be for a romantic comedy and the jokes are funnier than they should be for a This movie was pure genius. No slow idoitic wasteful ste up. The set up is given as it should be and we the audience are given the credit we deserve as being able to understand and follow it. Everything was perfect, i loved the whole thing, it shows every type of love. There are more jokes than there should be for a romantic comedy and the jokes are funnier than they should be for a regular comedy. This movie absolutely rules. I saw it two hours ago and it is april 28th, and i was totally immersed in it despite the christmas time period. This movie does it all, it even makes it feel like christmas whenever you are. Oh and hugh grant should probably quit acting because if he somehow gets any better than he was in this movie (which he hasn't been as good in anything else) i think i would....oh where am i going with this. Um,... just see the movie it rules. (for those who have seen it, please don't tell anyone anything while they're watching it, my brother did and it totally ruined it.) Oh yeah it doesn't get a ten because i don't like romantic comedies because of all the mushy stuff, but this is the most and the least mushy romantic comedy i've ever seen. It rules, actually. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Enough of Curtis' lovably crazed characters do succeed in finding love in all the unlikely places that you leave the theater with your heart humming happily. He has his dark -- well, darkish -- side under control. Which is to say that he is an Englishman, well practiced in masking pain and absurdity and descents into sheer goofiness with mannerly behavior, sly irony and stiff upper lips.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A roundly entertaining romantic comedy, Love Actually is still nearly as cloying as it is funny…its cheeky wit, impossibly attractive cast and sure-handed professionalism are beguiling.
  3. Reminds you of an elaborate Christmas card that tumbles apart with pop-up figures, silly/charming greetings and perhaps even a jingle. It probably cost more than the gift it heralds, and you can't help but laugh at the audacity of such an aggressively cheerful card.