8.0

1. Jan 8, 2014
    Despite its length and some of its more contrived elements, "Love Actually" remains a brazen and compelling romantic comedy with a bevy of admirable performances.
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    Watched it again, and this time I realized just how glitzy and poor this film is...Really appealed to my baser instincts when I first watched it....Everything warm and fuzzy at Christmas with a couple of "real" love stories...But beneath the coating of Hollywood style slickness, there lurks mediocrity, a lust substitute for love...Firth likes his maid's butt, Rickman loves to ogle his come on sexy secretary, and those were mild examples...A film of mostly male fantasies done in a "cute" simplistic way.....What a waste of talented actors....Liam Neeson was decent....And Linney's story is about love...Beneath the coating of sparkles and sleaze, lurks a mediocre film....Merry Christmas! Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2013
    Love Actually brings a smile to my face. It's adorable when it needs to be and also creates some drama when it's important. It is now a style of movie that is very overdone but Love Actually was one of the firsts and it worked for it. I really liked Love Actually, there were adorable characters and they weaved them all in together perfectly.
  4. Feb 7, 2013
    There are better movies of two hours length. I loved Bill Nighy's performance, however, as well as Linney's. Mark's love for Juliet was poignant. Little Sam's story might also have worked as a subplot. Rest of the stories were trash.
  5. Nov 12, 2012
    I can see how it would have seemed great as an idea. You tell a bunch of short stories involving the various stages of love featuring a varying cast, and then connect everyone, expecting your audience to be enlightened. They aren't, because Love Actually, actually doesn't work, not to mention that its a good half hour too long.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    Maybe I'm not english so I missed the jokes - but it was not romantic or comedic. An hour in I was bored to shreds .... Kiera Knightly was the only interesting thing for me in this movie.... but worth sitting 2hrs for without being delved into the story.
  7. Jan 16, 2011
    To all those who have watched it: I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.
    To all those who haven't watched it yet: what are you waiting for?
  8. Sep 28, 2010
    When a movie has you begging for it to end not even half way through it's pure crap. We've all seen this movie and this characters millions of times, nothing new in it. Don't waste your time.
  9. Aug 17, 2010
    Infused with the charm of Hugh Grant, Martin Freeman ("Tim" from The Office UK), Liam Neeson, and many others, these loosely connected stories weave together to make one of the most endearing and funny rom coms of the past decade. Unlike its American counterpart, this film underplays (to the extent that that's possible with an all-star cast) its principle actors, bringing a much-needed aspect to the stories. Sure some of the tales are a bit cloying, and some are a tad unnecessary, but such is the folly of a modern romantic comedy. The stories don't always hit home with the feeling they're trying to convey. Having said that, one story in particular really impacted me emotionally- something few films ever do, especially romantic comedies. Two particular performances stand out in this movie. The first is Liam Neeson's character as a widower, whom I found to be extremely endearing. His evolving relationship with his stepson (Thomas Sangster) is a delight to watch. It turns out he has chops for family roles, too, and not just high-impact drama and action. Who knew? The other gem in this film is the more ephemeral but ever-present Bill Nighy, who plays a washed-up old hack of a singer/songwriter whose glory days are well behind him. Even he gets his own love story, but that takes a back seat to his hilarious scene-stealing lines peppered throughout the film. All in all, this film is a fun, charming watch, if not a perfect movie, and is well worth seeing if you have any love of romantic comedies. It also happens to be a no-brainer alternative to that Valentine's Day knockoff cal. Verdict: Movie Win (for rom com fans) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Enough of Curtis' lovably crazed characters do succeed in finding love in all the unlikely places that you leave the theater with your heart humming happily. He has his dark -- well, darkish -- side under control. Which is to say that he is an Englishman, well practiced in masking pain and absurdity and descents into sheer goofiness with mannerly behavior, sly irony and stiff upper lips.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A roundly entertaining romantic comedy, Love Actually is still nearly as cloying as it is funny…its cheeky wit, impossibly attractive cast and sure-handed professionalism are beguiling.
  3. Reminds you of an elaborate Christmas card that tumbles apart with pop-up figures, silly/charming greetings and perhaps even a jingle. It probably cost more than the gift it heralds, and you can't help but laugh at the audacity of such an aggressively cheerful card.