Macbeth

7.3

1. Dec 16, 2015
    The production values are outstanding, from cinematography to acting, but the director's decision to keep the dialogue intact leads to an insufferable rhythm and a notorious disconnect between the realism of the production and the theatrical nature of the scenes, the situations and of course, the dialogues. The pace is so slow and the tone so dark, you will come out absolutely tired. AnThe production values are outstanding, from cinematography to acting, but the director's decision to keep the dialogue intact leads to an insufferable rhythm and a notorious disconnect between the realism of the production and the theatrical nature of the scenes, the situations and of course, the dialogues. The pace is so slow and the tone so dark, you will come out absolutely tired. An interesting movie you will watch once and only once unless you are the most enthusiastic of Shakespeare's fans. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2016
    A masterpiece. Great actors. Great OST. Great landscapes. Full of darkness, violence and moral dilemmas.
    Macbeth is a well know drama so nothing really new?
    Don't miss it, you would regret it.
  3. Dec 21, 2015
    The movie on everyone's mind's right now is Star wars. While, I perfectly understand (being a huge star wars fan and all) Macbeth is a solid though flawed film also worth watching. The movie is designed to be a bit more accessible to the general public by putting less emphasis from the original play. This is not a direct word by word translation of the play and Shakespeare purists will beThe movie on everyone's mind's right now is Star wars. While, I perfectly understand (being a huge star wars fan and all) Macbeth is a solid though flawed film also worth watching. The movie is designed to be a bit more accessible to the general public by putting less emphasis from the original play. This is not a direct word by word translation of the play and Shakespeare purists will be upset by this. The use of Shakespeare's iconic dialect is still used but less often and a surprising amount of the movie focuses on surprisingly well choreographed considering that most fighting that occurs in the play aren't expanded upon. However, the movie also detracts from the plot of the play aside from the major events, so anyone who just finished reading the play (such as myself) will be confused.While many original content enhances the film a few seem to make an already complex story more convoluted. This is the movie's single greatest flaw. The actors portraying Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and the three witches are excellent and steal the show. They truly show how insane they all are by their dialogue and through the actions they commit . The movie even contains original scenes dedicated to showing how despicable these people are. On the other hand, the actors of Malcolm and Macduff are disappointing in comparison. They aren't bad, but also aren't as interesting due to a late introduction and
    generic looks that make them easy to lose track of in large battles and crowds containing more than 5 people.
    In short, Macbeth is an entertaining film that was made with being a more accessible watch by being loosely based on the source material and including more eye candy with beautiful screenshots of Scotland and plenty of action. It may not be a masterpiece but should be a pleasant gateway into the world of Shakespeare.
  4. Dec 6, 2015
    Justin Kurzels limitless mastermind in the field of directing is a large base to what makes this movie a very dark and supernatural (relatively unique as well) adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth. Fine acting from Fassbender and cotillard add to make a great cinema experience with just so much rawness and unfairness surrounding these characters. However, context is very fine and veryJustin Kurzels limitless mastermind in the field of directing is a large base to what makes this movie a very dark and supernatural (relatively unique as well) adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth. Fine acting from Fassbender and cotillard add to make a great cinema experience with just so much rawness and unfairness surrounding these characters. However, context is very fine and very delicate in this adaptation. And by that, I mean that sometimes what Kurzel is trying to express as his overall moral is quite skewed and sometimes drenches into other territory which doesn't work. That being said, the blistering confidence in this take of Macbeth proves for a great cinematic experience. Expand
  5. Dec 15, 2015
    Well it was certainly very artistic and certain parts were just gorgeous. However there is not much more to recommend Macbeth. The worst part to me was how the dialogue was spoken, or not spoken since it was mostly whispers and mumbles. Just mumbles and mumbles. Shakespeare's prose just begs to be enjoyed but here I couldn't understand what they were saying half the time.

Also they

Also they seemed to have no idea what to do with the talking parts and just tried to invent weird action scenes to go with them that felt out of place. Too theatrical is how I would describe this film. It tries to be realistic and set in historical times, but it just makes the theatrical stick out more in awkward ways.

Performance wise there is nothing to complain about as everyone did a great job. Overall there are sparks of brilliance here but I just get the feeling that the makers gave up before reaching the goal and the final product is hence mediocre.
  6. Jan 30, 2016
    The first thing that sticks out in Macbeth is the great cinematography that makes this movie one of the best looking films I have seen. The acting is spot on and everyone plays their rolls well. It tends to be a bit heavy handed, and it has a very dark tone throughout, but that is what Macbeth is about. Do not expect a full blown action movie (there are some good action scenes here thatThe first thing that sticks out in Macbeth is the great cinematography that makes this movie one of the best looking films I have seen. The acting is spot on and everyone plays their rolls well. It tends to be a bit heavy handed, and it has a very dark tone throughout, but that is what Macbeth is about. Do not expect a full blown action movie (there are some good action scenes here that are filmed well and very stylized.) The dialogue can be quite confusing and is not modernized so you will have to pay attention to get the full scale of what's going on. Overall, It was a well made reboot of a popular story that has done many times before. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2015
    The performances were out of this world, and cinematography also. The pacing were masterfully done with very little dialog, which made the Shakespearean lines blossom. Also they have given the ending a small amazing twist.
  8. Dec 4, 2015
    Wonderful performances, gorgeous cinematography and an excellent screenplay. Justin Kurzel delivers a successful and accurate adaptation of the terrifying and conflicting story of macbeth. Marion Coltiard and Michael Fassbender have beautiful chemistry on screen and breath life into such ancient characters.
  9. Dec 4, 2015
    Starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, both giving absolutely outstanding performances. They're the reason to watch this version of Macbeth. As for the rest, let's just say it's never easy to get Shakespeare right (I'm looking at you Romeo & Juliet), and unfortunately this was clearly made by such an inexperienced director and it shows. Pacing was all wrong, no flow, the art ofStarring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, both giving absolutely outstanding performances. They're the reason to watch this version of Macbeth. As for the rest, let's just say it's never easy to get Shakespeare right (I'm looking at you Romeo & Juliet), and unfortunately this was clearly made by such an inexperienced director and it shows. Pacing was all wrong, no flow, the art of story-telling completely lost among seemingly endless scenes of slow motion shots. With countless gory death scenes played in super slo-mo reminds one of the 300 and no one wants to be reminded of the 300. Recommended for a one time viewing and be prepared to brush up on Shakespearean style of writing or face the consequences. Expand
  10. Dec 4, 2015
    Macbeth is a visually stunning film with all kinds of glamour, yet is still a rather morose watch. The imagery and cinematography is incredible, especially the final fight scene with an unrecognisable Scotland, almost looking like something out of a sci-fi movie. The acting is incredible, both Fassbender and Cotillard showing incredible performances. Sean Harris comes across trying a bitMacbeth is a visually stunning film with all kinds of glamour, yet is still a rather morose watch. The imagery and cinematography is incredible, especially the final fight scene with an unrecognisable Scotland, almost looking like something out of a sci-fi movie. The acting is incredible, both Fassbender and Cotillard showing incredible performances. Sean Harris comes across trying a bit too hard, with more guttural sounds coming from him than intelligible dialogue.
    The film in very, very short is a visual masterpiece, with excelled performances. Dialogue is tough but well delivered with gravitas from characters. Sadly, the morose feel of the film can leave you sitting agitated during the viewing. Fight scenes are more works of art in this film, as this film is a moving piece of art work.
    Worth the watch, but be prepared to understand about 40% of dialogue on the first viewing if you are not familiar with the play or style of writing.
    6.2/10
  11. Dec 5, 2015
    This was my first exposure to the play. And it was stunning. The cast were phenomenal, the visuals were amazing and the only real problem I had was the fact that the characters were talking too quietly-I have no problem with Shakespearean dialogue but there were parts where I got a bit confused because it was hard to hear the lines. Nevertheless, it was a very good movie, one I imagineThis was my first exposure to the play. And it was stunning. The cast were phenomenal, the visuals were amazing and the only real problem I had was the fact that the characters were talking too quietly-I have no problem with Shakespearean dialogue but there were parts where I got a bit confused because it was hard to hear the lines. Nevertheless, it was a very good movie, one I imagine Shakespeare would be proud if. If you're new to the play, it might help to read a summary so you can get the gist of what's going on but it's well worth going to. HAIL MACBETH! Expand
  12. MKR
    Dec 6, 2015
    Full of sound and fury!!Kurzel have done his good job with macbeth and now he is going for the assassins creed.this was a great and new kind of movies that fassbender have played.
  13. Feb 6, 2016
    Spoken in old English which is difficult at best to understand. Follows the play too closely and misses as a "followable" story. The motives of the characters are lost and the movie becomes painfully boring and monotonous.
  14. Dec 4, 2015
    Disclaimer: I f*cking love the original play.
    Disclaimer: I f*cking love the original play.
    This film got almost everything right in my opinion. The emphasis, however, lies on the almost. The production design is fantastic, the cinematography is gorgeous, the stars absolutely look the part (watching this film without sound would likely have you believing that it was a total masterpiece) and the new interpretations that are brought to the table are intriguing. There is one aspect, sad,y, that Justin Kerzel's adaptation totally butchers and alone derails the film entirely. The delivery of the lines. Fassbender and Cotillard do not seem to have a clue what they are talking about and what each individual word actually MEANS. The emphasis is on pretty much every incorrect syllable to the point where one would think they are not speaking English. To add insult to injury, the actors have been told to convey their lines in such a bleak and dismal fashion that they lose all charisma and do end up becoming excruciatingly dull. This is only one bad element to what would be an otherwise excellent film, however, Shakespeare's popularity has endured principally due to the poetry of his text - this play is 90% dependent on its dialogue. Therefore, if you screw up the dialogue in the way that the makers of this film have, you have absolutely no chance of being successful.
  15. Dec 17, 2015
    You probably know the story, but it's never been told like this. First, it's been re-imagined with a more rustic, less grand style...often raw and dirty. Second, almost all of the dialogue is intensely introspective, no booming soliloquies here. Despite that, the performances are raw and passionate. The Scottish brogue sometimes makes the dialogue difficult to follow and the concentrated,You probably know the story, but it's never been told like this. First, it's been re-imagined with a more rustic, less grand style...often raw and dirty. Second, almost all of the dialogue is intensely introspective, no booming soliloquies here. Despite that, the performances are raw and passionate. The Scottish brogue sometimes makes the dialogue difficult to follow and the concentrated, deliberate pacing becomes a bit monotonous. Finally, the liberties with style are striking! In addition to the staggering Scottish landscapes, DP Adam Arkapaw has shot every scene with visual power that gives "art film" a whole new meaning. The dialogue has been trimmed to make room for some beautifully shot (often in slo-mo) battles, quiet moments of ceremony and other evocative stylings. This is brilliant realization and masterful revelation of cinematic imagination. Expand
  16. Dec 4, 2015
    There’s nothing wrong with Macbeth that losing the Shakespeare wouldn’t put right. Whilst I appreciate that there are many who hold the Bard in reverential esteem, I personally am unable to include the acclaimed playwright’s medieval prose amongst my cultural delights. I think it’s fair to say that line for line a clear understanding of his work and specifically what is actually being saidThere’s nothing wrong with Macbeth that losing the Shakespeare wouldn’t put right. Whilst I appreciate that there are many who hold the Bard in reverential esteem, I personally am unable to include the acclaimed playwright’s medieval prose amongst my cultural delights. I think it’s fair to say that line for line a clear understanding of his work and specifically what is actually being said here, is questionable to say the least. If a modern film had its script spoken in such a flowery and oblique manner it would be accused of pretentiousness. Sure, one gets the gist of what’s going on, but from interpretation and study, not from this as a stand-alone movie. Clarity is never a strength with Shakespeare and this version doesn’t escape the inherent problem. Polanski’s 1971 take wasn’t great either, but it was simpler and overall more digestible as a film.
    The writing aside, however, this Macbeth does have much to commend it including a raw vitality which is present in all other aspects of the production. The direction and editing are stridently confident and the film benefits enormously from the casting of its two leads. Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard must be counted amongst the best actors to appear on screen in the last 10 years. Fassbender, in particular, commands attention and it is to his credit that one watches him intensely even though the dialogue he is spouting leaves one cold. His scenes with Cotillard are mesmerising, even if her Lady Macbeth is otherwise sketchily interpreted.
    Production design and costumes are also just right, as is the cinematography which is the true star. The end battle scenes are just gorgeous to behold. I don’t mean to declare war on Shakespeare as his stories are basically sound. It’s just a shame about the way he told them. Unfortunately, it is in the particular style of the telling where this potentially good film struggles, unsuccessfully, to get out.
  17. Dec 13, 2015
    Hail Macbeth!

Jestem zafascynowany scenografią, grą aktorską, muzyką i dialogami. Jest to moim zdaniem najlepsza ekranizacja książki w historii.
  18. Dec 4, 2015
    I may be wrong, but I think this may be the single worst film of a a Shakespeare play that I have ever seen. At least they had the deency to say BASED on the play Macbeth.
  19. Apr 29, 2016
    A movie about one of the greatest stories of old times. The production values in the movie is great, great memorable OST and the acting was fantastic. The dark theme and overall production quality puts this on the top of the list of all the MacBeth movies that have been ever made.
  20. Jan 29, 2016
    Macbeth is one of the year's most beautiful films. Sporting gorgeous cinematography, brilliant lighting, great staging, and fantastic costumes, Macbeth is technically brilliant. This brilliance is accented by fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, and Sean Harris. Though the Shakespearean English being spoken through Scottish accents can prove to be a challengeMacbeth is one of the year's most beautiful films. Sporting gorgeous cinematography, brilliant lighting, great staging, and fantastic costumes, Macbeth is technically brilliant. This brilliance is accented by fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, and Sean Harris. Though the Shakespearean English being spoken through Scottish accents can prove to be a challenge at times, it is a challenge worth undertaking due to the brilliance of the film as a whole. The direction from Justin Kurzel is fantastic and really gets your heart racing at times. For example, the battle sequences are brilliant and as hectic as they are, they pack a certain beauty and elegance. As a whole, Macbeth is a fantastic piece of film. It can be a touch slow and can be hard to follow, but if you are willing to give it an attempt, your eyes will thank you for letting them gaze upon this gorgeous piece of eye candy. Expand
  21. Feb 29, 2016
    Amazing. That final fight scene was mindblowing. One of the best parts I've ever seen in a movie. Fassbender is a genius at acting. It a kind of modern monument for the ultimate classic.
  22. Apr 26, 2016
    Wow, Justin Kurzel is amazing, this film is truly a gem, it's remarkable, mesmerizing, and almost hypnotizing. I have read (like others) the The Tragedy of Macbeth back in high school a couple times, it's one of my many favourites by William Shakespeare. I'm giving props to the master director Justin Kurzel, and cinematographer, Adam Arkapaw, and Chris Dickens for being Film editor. ButWow, Justin Kurzel is amazing, this film is truly a gem, it's remarkable, mesmerizing, and almost hypnotizing. I have read (like others) the The Tragedy of Macbeth back in high school a couple times, it's one of my many favourites by William Shakespeare. I'm giving props to the master director Justin Kurzel, and cinematographer, Adam Arkapaw, and Chris Dickens for being Film editor. But the piece that holds this masterpiece together, the glue so to speak is Micheal Fassbender! And oh man the the dialogue... or script, is well versed and well said! 100% 10 out of 10 from me. Expand
  23. Dec 8, 2015
    Nominated for Palme d' Or in Cannes Film Festival this movie features a unique, painted in blood and buried in the mist, absolutely original and brilliant direction by Justin Kurzel (Snowtown), that should be nominated for Oscar.
    Michael Fassbender is fantastic, he doesn't play Macbeth, he is Macbeth! He should also be nominated for Oscar but he is going to lose to himself (Steve Jobs). The classic and great theatrical play is translated into a movie in a way that Shakespeare would be proud, but beware that old English language is used all the time and everyone speaks like a damn poet, which will surely tire even the cinephile audience. Also, having a great French actress like Marion Cottilard talk in 1600's English proves to not be the best choice and therefore her performance lacks persuasion, especially compared to Fassbender's. If you expect another "Gladiator" or "300" movie, don't watch this movie. This is not a typical blockbuster but a quality title that will not be widely appreciated.
  24. Mar 10, 2016
    Not as enjoyable as I wanted it to be.... but it actually works for such a good film that'll never touch back 2015 ever again. It's 2016 and you'll be happy for this piece of work 2015 did for us.

1. Reviewed by: Blake Goble
    Dec 14, 2015
    It’s a fierce, visceral vision with a superb cast, that one suspects was more focused on pumping up Macbeth than reminding people why it’s such a lasting cautionary tale.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Dec 10, 2015
    This cinematic Macbeth possesses a terrible beauty, evoking fear, sadness, awe and confusion. Presented with the aesthetic of a dark comic book, it’s also a mournful masterpiece, rendering Shakespeare’s spectacle with all the sorrow and majesty that it deserves.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 10, 2015
    If Macbeth comes off at times like a Classics Illustrated comic-book adaptation (there is one, from 1955), it can also be quite moving, quite troubling, haunting, even.