MacGruber

6.2

1. PrimusM
    May 23, 2010
    I can honestly say that this is the worst movie I have ever enjoyed. It was nonstop. There were no depths to which they would not sink and everything they did was with full commitment. If you are already interested in seeing it, you probably wont be disappointed, but I can't really recommend the movie to anyone. The SNL skit this was based on is unfunny and tedious, but during the I can honestly say that this is the worst movie I have ever enjoyed. It was nonstop. There were no depths to which they would not sink and everything they did was with full commitment. If you are already interested in seeing it, you probably wont be disappointed, but I can't really recommend the movie to anyone. The SNL skit this was based on is unfunny and tedious, but during the movie I was never bored, and often in tears of astonishment and laughter. Expand
  2. GeneR
    May 23, 2010
    This is not a movie that paces itself particularly well. 60 minutes of it's play time are kind of a mediocre bore, the other 39 are pure gross-out brilliance however. Seeing it won't be a total waste if you enjoy gross-out humor, but the long stretches in between the funny skits don't make for much of a movie.
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    Silly, juvenile, sophomoric...and absolutely brilliant. How could anyone have expected more from a full-length version of a MacGruber skit?? It is a silly SNL skit, for God's sake! Gratuitous in language, violence and 80's references, the only reason not to like this movie is if you thought they shouldn't have made a movie version of it. Deal with it. They made it. And if you were aSilly, juvenile, sophomoric...and absolutely brilliant. How could anyone have expected more from a full-length version of a MacGruber skit?? It is a silly SNL skit, for God's sake! Gratuitous in language, violence and 80's references, the only reason not to like this movie is if you thought they shouldn't have made a movie version of it. Deal with it. They made it. And if you were a fan of the skit, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't have loved the film. Expand
  4. Sep 1, 2010
    Consistently idiotic (that's a plus here), very rude and timely given this year's flood of 80s style dumb action movies but only sporadically funny. Kristen Wiig is great as always and the love/sex scene is worth the price of admission alone. If you like action cliches spoofs, general silliness and have 95 minutes to waste... you'll probably have some fun.
  5. Sep 15, 2010
    how do you take a mildley funny 3 min sketch from SNL and make it into a 90 min movie for the big screen? the answer is you dont . atleast not a very funny one. macgruber in its sketch form is kinda funny with the way they poke fun of mcguyver and him getting blown up at the end of every sketch and the funny song but as a movie it shoulda never been done. the humor in this movie is sohow do you take a mildley funny 3 min sketch from SNL and make it into a 90 min movie for the big screen? the answer is you dont . atleast not a very funny one. macgruber in its sketch form is kinda funny with the way they poke fun of mcguyver and him getting blown up at the end of every sketch and the funny song but as a movie it shoulda never been done. the humor in this movie is so childish its rediculas . if you are in the age of 10-16 you might find this funny. i found most of it unfunny. there was a couple of funny moments where i had a good laugh but most of it was just to stupid and just had me shaking my head in disbelief that some thing could be this stupid. Collapse
  6. Nov 15, 2010
    Just if you have not better to do in a rainy Sunday afternoon... Few laughs, tries to have the essence of Tropic Thunder but fails. Best parts are the car stereos one
  7. CRL
    Aug 30, 2011
    It's funny that Hollywood keeps trying to make SNL skits into movies. News flash: it doesn't work. Another news flash: there are only so many f-bombs one can drop, so many sex-jokes one can make, so many completely overpowered explosions one can show, before they stop being funny and just start being stupid.
  8. Jan 11, 2016
    As an Englishman my only experiences with SNL as a broadcast show, is from the late 1980's when certain skits were sort of packaged up and shown on television as part of a late night American comedy compilation show.
    This is also how I now enjoy the show, as all I can access are the skits that the 'Network' upload onto YouTube, it's effectively the same.... But I can now access them at will, and find out who the comedians on the show are.
    I knew that The Blues Brothers, and Wayne's World were based on SNL characters, but I didn't know Coneheads was, such was my lack of knowledge about the (now) evergreen show.

Macgruber was a skit I found on YT and found relatively amusing (this despite the fact only the first series of the show it was parodying, 'McGyver', was shown on UK TV), and when I discovered a movie had been made I downloaded a copy and got stuck in.
    It's also worth making a point that the film barely got a cinema release here, and no one I know has ever heard of it!

The film itself expands on the short skits of the series, introducing MacGruber (Will Forte) 10 years after his wife was killed and living a secluded life (a la Rambo III). He's called back into action after a Nuclear missile is stolen by his arch-nemesis **** (Val Kilmer), and therefore looks to bring back his old team.
    However, they are all killed (due to their ineptitude) leaving MacGruber to go after **** with only his dead wife's best friend (and retired special forces operative), Vicki St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig), and wet-behind-the-ears operative Dixon Piper (Ryan Phillippe)

Cue comedic shenanigans as our heroes bumble their way through the movie, as the villain hams it up in a very unamusing way.

This is a sporadically funny movie, but it's not as funny as other films which have spoofed the same kind of genre in the past. Will Forte is probably the only actor who comes out of it with any sense of pride attached, everyone else (including Powers Boothe as 'The Colonel') probably won't mind anyone asking them 'what on Earth were you thinking!!??'.

Overall it's competently directed, the score is acceptable, and the run-time (at 90ish minutes) is bang on. It's just not as funny as people claim it to be, especially as its now (apparently) established a cult following!!!

1. Utterly disposable but diverting, MacGruber manages to spin feature-length product out of an idea that few would try expanding beyond a "Saturday Night Live" skit.
    How the hell can you take an SNL skit that runs 90 seconds and stretch it to a 90-minute feature? Sounds excruciating. But MacGruber breaks the jinx by putting the skit in the context of a 1980s action movie and creating its own brand of explosive lunacy.
  3. Think of a really bad, uncensored Saturday Night Live comedy sketch. Then make it worse – make it longer.