7.1

1. Oct 8, 2011
    I am not sure why this movie is rated so low. Absolutely incredible. very moving and varying degrees of emotion. I would call this a must see! Dont be fooled by the low ratings
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an amazing real life story. I found it inspirational how the main character "Sam Childers" changed his life from from a drug addict thug to putting his life on the line to help the orphan kids in Southern Sudan. I like his realism after his conversion. I believe the way he channeled his fearlessness from something dark into something great challenges the audience to greater potential as well. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    "MACHINE GUN PREACHER" - A very powerful movie. My question is: how many modern American Preachers would actually teach in support of the efforts of San Childers and how many would condemn his methods? This R-rated film is a gritty and realistic portrayal of the unimaginable brutality still going on in the Sudan. My favorite aspect of this film was that it showed the deep flaws and humanity of Childers, his struggles, doubts and anger.

My hat is off to Relativity Media and the other production companies for their courage in bringing this movie to us. Stars Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan, Kathy Baker, Michael Shannon, Madeline Carroll, Souleymane Sy Savane and the rest really put it on the line here!

Too often "christian: films paint an unbelievable picture of the faith process and the way God works in this world. It would be very hard for me to imagine any American church showing this movie to its congregations, but church leaders themselves, at least, need to watch and deal with these realities. How do we reconcile God of the Old Testament with God in the New Testament? Did David have Bible study with Goliath? Was not King Saul commanded by God to wipe out nations? How does this "fit" with the Gospel of peace Jesus preached? We know "the Lord our God is one God" and that He is immutable (never-changing). The concept of Dispensations only shallowly addresses this topic. Preachers: let's hear it!
  4. Jul 31, 2012
    The movie is amazing, on the whole. The beginning is a bit hard to bear, as it's *extremely* vulgar and painful. Although, it is an good representation of what Sam Childers' life used to be like. The accuracy of what is going on over in Africa is heart wrenching and makes you want to go over to help them yourself. And watching the development of Sam is interesting and will have you feeling for him. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2013
    Gritty, gray life. And some red too. The movie wades from deep, murky pond to deep, murky pond. It isn't your typical formulaic, black/white entertainment where the good guys save the day and everything works out. Reality isn't like that. Sometimes sacrifices (even big, soul-wrenching sacrifices) have to happen. Sometimes you have to beg and plead for help from people who will never understand because they are so far removed from you. Can you imagine trying to live these two lives in the movie? I don't mean biker and Christian, or even AKs and Christian. I mean Sudan and America. One week you're with kids who are happy to have food, health, and a ball to kick and the next your wife and daughter think you don't love them if you say 'No" to a limo for the prom. I'm guessing all these talking about whether or not Gerald Butler was a good fit for the role and "white savior tropes" didn't relate to the film. Which is a shame. It is so powerful and shines a bright light on the West's spoiled, self-centered society if you're willing to look. I only wish they had used a different title. Expand
  6. Apr 9, 2013
    I don't see how this movie is rated so low, this movie was amazing yet sad and touching at the same time. Gerald Butler was a great actor chosen for this movie. This movie is actually a true story, they are still alive to this day. It's so hard to see good true movies now-a-days.

1. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Oct 31, 2011
    It's gratifying to see Butler giving a proper acting role the old college try. Despite his best efforts, Forster's film, while pulling no punches, still somehow manages to miss the mark.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Oct 12, 2011
    The movie never convinces us that Forster is convinced himself. The director lines up this bad good man in his sights, but he never quite has the nerve quite to pull the trigger.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Oct 7, 2011
    If you'd pay to see a film called "Hotel Rwanda: Maniac Manager," you might be receptive to this mixed-message movie, but skeptics should keep one eye on the exit.