Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 8, 2012
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 249 Ratings
WATCH NOW
HeafJul 3, 2012
Absolutely the worst of the series. Bad jokes through out, and the animators chickened out on the best scenes for 3-d. Replacing the possibility for some cool playfulness during the circus scenes with neon rings and splashes of color in aAbsolutely the worst of the series. Bad jokes through out, and the animators chickened out on the best scenes for 3-d. Replacing the possibility for some cool playfulness during the circus scenes with neon rings and splashes of color in a floating no gravity environment. After suffering through the story for 2/3 of the film I was hoping for some visually stunning work. Only to be disappointed that they took the easy way out. Expand
wallofjericho42Jun 19, 2012
Horrendous on almost all accounts. The Colorful visuals and energy of the movie (the only possible good thins about the film) may keep the attention of a 2 year old, but the humor and the characters have no appeal. Not only is the filmHorrendous on almost all accounts. The Colorful visuals and energy of the movie (the only possible good thins about the film) may keep the attention of a 2 year old, but the humor and the characters have no appeal. Not only is the film obnoxious, but it's almost an insult to our intelligence. A movie with no thought, made as fast as possible to squeeze as much money as possible out of the dying "Madagascar" franchise I once found entertaining. The 3D is a gimmick too, providing no more than a few stupid moments of effects spewing towards the camera. Miss this one, unless you really enjoy wasting your money. Expand
The_ReviewsterJun 19, 2012
This is a very enjoyable film for the entire family. Although a proper critic may pick on plot points and lack of "mature" humor, I have not met a child who didn't enjoy it immensely.
frontpackNov 14, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm really surprised at all of the positive reviews on this. I don't make it to a lot of movies, but this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. I thought the first Madagascar was decent, but didn't see the second one. Two big issues with this version: the ridiculous plot and the message it seems to be sending.

The plot: lots of impossibilities, and they didn't seem to have any purpose rather than the animators thought these additions were amusing. The woman police officer could have been a great character, but the whole breaking through walls invincibility made her whole persona pointless and without substance. The climax of the film gave the clearest indication of this terrible plot. They basically gave up trying to show the acrobatics of Alex and Gia, instead resorting to flashes of color and flips through an endless space of black. Again, totally without substance and potentially without much effort on their part either.

The message: The film has a group of animals first wanting to leave nature for the zoo, and then deciding instead to be in the circus. Sure it's a circus that they are directing themselves, but this was only used as a motivational piece. The circus and the zoo, two places where animals have been badly mistreated, and here's a kids movie suggesting that animals love both. There was some realization about being in the zoo by Alex, and I get the references to freedom and doing things their own way, but again this still related just to the circus. A great kids movie? I almost can't believe it.

To those reviewers who say it's almost an insult to the viewer - I completely agree. We should be demanding a better movie than this. Instead it's been, 'O look, pretty colors.'