Maleficent

6.9

1. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A classic story gets a remake where the villain, unsurprisingly, gets made into a hero (while still maintaining some villain-like tendencies, but ultimately the 'bad guy' isn't the enemy). I mean, would Angelina Jolie be in this role otherwise?

The story is predictable once you get the idea, so it's good they focused on the events outside the "Sleeping Beauty". Still, it says something about the movie if the most interesting character was Maleficent's shape-changing crow Diaval and everyone else was quite annoying (Aurora was too perfect, her father too deranged (the rest of the on-screen humanity being cut from the same cloth as their greedy, mad king), the pixie trio was there just for the gags...)

You can predict the endgame quite early on, and while the movie is pretty to look at with its up-to-date effects and it does put a spin on the familiar tale, I still wonder... why was this movie made? It left me with one single word in mind: "pointless".

This is not an epic re-telling of a story, and it stumbles at making the story of its own worth.
  2. Jun 1, 2014
    Maleficent is a decent movie, but I wouldn't call it a classic. Angelina Jolie looks incredible as Maleficent, but I was hoping to see more of an origin story about how Maleficent became the evil witch we all know her to be and while there is an origin to her character, its really not very interesting.The only bad thing about the movie is the three pixies who take care of Princess Aurora.Maleficent is a decent movie, but I wouldn't call it a classic. Angelina Jolie looks incredible as Maleficent, but I was hoping to see more of an origin story about how Maleficent became the evil witch we all know her to be and while there is an origin to her character, its really not very interesting.The only bad thing about the movie is the three pixies who take care of Princess Aurora. I guess they're supposed to be some sort of comic relief but they just obnoxious and get way too much screen time. Also, Elle Fanning plays Princess Aurora and she just doesn't have the beautiful look of a Princess. Its obvious the new generation is going to like this better than us older people so if you have the animated classic "Sleeping Beauty" you should probably just watch that. Expand
  3. Jul 6, 2014
    Even with the solid and magical (no pun intended) performance from the star Angelina Jolie, the movie lacks a well thought out process. Instead of building off of a main role starring a someone sod Jolie’s caliber, it takes a turn and gives us dull supporting characters who left us bored for most of the movie. Although it had a fantastic lead and some beautiful visual effects, thoseEven with the solid and magical (no pun intended) performance from the star Angelina Jolie, the movie lacks a well thought out process. Instead of building off of a main role starring a someone sod Jolie’s caliber, it takes a turn and gives us dull supporting characters who left us bored for most of the movie. Although it had a fantastic lead and some beautiful visual effects, those couldn’t lift my spirits from the average and disappointment of a showing that Maleficent gave me. Expand
  4. Oct 1, 2014
    I loved what was hinted at in this movie, not particularly what was done though. The visual splendor was riveting for sure. I knew that if any actress could pull off the Disney villain Maleficent, it was none other than Angelina Jolie, an all-time favorite of mine. But I cannot deny the fact that the things that made this a Disney movie is pretty much what ended up strangling it. I likedI loved what was hinted at in this movie, not particularly what was done though. The visual splendor was riveting for sure. I knew that if any actress could pull off the Disney villain Maleficent, it was none other than Angelina Jolie, an all-time favorite of mine. But I cannot deny the fact that the things that made this a Disney movie is pretty much what ended up strangling it. I liked the angle of her being a fairy who isn't sure about humans but tries to connect and even love them and is betrayed in a gruesome fashion. The film seemed solid until she started to seem quite a bit softer than would be consistent for a dark fairy/witch who threatens an entire kingdom of people. It's not that she could have been more sadistic but more like all the other characters could have been smarter, like all of them. Everyone who wasn't Maleficent was either crazy or pin headed. Except maybe her helper crow. But that sort of made it an environment where she had to do everything for everyone like the nanny, kind of a weak approach for a character with such a strong presence. Meaning she needed a stronger antagonist, Sharlto Copley didn't deliver for me. Just came off a little too insane. The story just got too predictable and cliche' to stay intriguing. The visuals did not disappoint though and who can't help but love Angelina's portrayal of a famous villain. A different story all together may have proven better for her character. I mean, if everyone tells the story claiming that's how IT REALLY HAPPENED, i mean who actually knows how it really happened then? How many stories do you need to bleed dry Disney? Expand
  5. Nov 10, 2014
    A spellbinding performance from Angelina Jolie as Maleficent and brilliant visual effects can't save the movie from its flaws which consists of: shoehorned characters (Prince Philip), slow pacing and an anti-climatic final showdown.
  6. May 30, 2014
    Maleficent could have been a Disney live-action film for the ages; it has some of the right pieces. But with a weak foundation and suspect direction, it’s just another dull kid-flick to slug through, with a story like a cursed spindle, ready to prick its viewers into a deep slumber.
  7. Jun 1, 2014
    Angelina Jolie steals every scene with her excellent performance .... The Disney movie has charming effects, but a poor and bad script.
    It is a cliche movie for this summer.
  8. May 30, 2014
    Angelina Jolie made an amazing performance in this movie, but there's a lot of cliches predictable scenes... and despite there's a good new perspective of the story, and great visual effects... The movie is middling.
  9. Jul 14, 2014
    Whilst Jolie’s performance is noteworthy, Maleficent is a wholly unnecessarily expensive affair offering little more than great spectacle and vivid action.
  10. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to agree with most critics for this movie. Angelina Jolie is fantastic as ever, but as my friend said as soon as the movie ended, "I would re-cast pretty much everyone but Jolie, Riley, Manville, Temple, and Staunton. Everyone else needs to go." And that's exactly how I feel as well.

The movie starts with a very good scene in which young Maleficent is depicted as a kind-hearted, powerful young fairy, protector of Moors. Young Stefan actually works for me, but not with the grown-up Stefan. The cast just doesn't work. As soon as Jolie starts wearing the costume, I feel like I'm watching Halle Berry in that horrible Cat Woman spandex costume all over again. It just didn't work. Her natural-looking appearance was perfect. I don't understand why she had to change her appearance after her wings are cut off (only to reattach again).

Elle Fanning is lovely, but she's not doing her best in this movie. I'm excited to see Oculus tomorrow which Brenton Thwaites is starring in, but his Prince Phillip character is way too irrelevant and unnecessary.

The scenes are also very predictable. I totally saw the "Maleficent is the true love" twist right after somewhere aroud the first time she connects with Aurora. It's Frozen all over again. To sum up, I think the movie would only please children and those who simply watch the movie for eye-pleasing visual. Even the climax did not get me excited.
  11. Aug 23, 2014
    If anyone ever asks you for an example of a great idea turning into a very mediocre movie - point this title out, I'm sure the will get the idea. If not, they should watch the original Sleeping Beauty and then watch this. Better? Yeah.
    This movie indeed has the potential to turn around the whole Sleeping Beauty story into something much better - more intricate, cooler and even thought provoking.
    The main problem I have with this movie lays withing the writing and directing. Writers Linda Woolverton and Charles Perrault simply don't give the actors anything worthwhile to work with. Constantly the movie is preoccupied with transition scenes that literally tell us what has or is going on - too obvious, even for a children's movie. I believe it isn't in Disney's style.
    Director Robert Stromberg went along with it and tried to make something of it, including some beautiful scenes, and other scenes that are as if ripped out from other fantasy flicks. He has done some pretty good work in the past, however here we see mediocrity and literacy, but I'm pretty sure that came out mainly from the script.
    I have to note out that this movie contains some of the worst camerawork I've ever seen - awkward zooming and totally worthless scenes included.
    Other than that, actors starring here had nothing to work with to begin with, so no one is even worth mentioning. Jolie tried to make Maleficent faithful and memorable, but ultimately fails, due to reasons already mentioned.
    And there is nothing more to say. It's a pretty movie, it had the potential to be a masterpiece, however it falls short to be classified as even a Disney kid film.
    It can be entertaining to watch if you have nothing else to do, but that's about it.
  12. Jun 6, 2014
    Maleficent works because of Angelina Jolie's amazing performance as the main character. Other than that, the movie has this weird pacing that feels off. The Director, while an Oscar winner for numerous Technical categories, is definitely a first timer. Sure it has great effects and this great matte painting quality to the visuals, but it sort of remind me of Joseph Kosinski's work, (ofMaleficent works because of Angelina Jolie's amazing performance as the main character. Other than that, the movie has this weird pacing that feels off. The Director, while an Oscar winner for numerous Technical categories, is definitely a first timer. Sure it has great effects and this great matte painting quality to the visuals, but it sort of remind me of Joseph Kosinski's work, (of Oblivion's). Visually great but felt cobbled together. Expand
  13. Jun 7, 2014
    A quite long absence from big screen, since THE TOURIST (2010, 7/10), Angelina Jolie is back with this unorthodox adaption of Grimm Brothers Sleeping Beauty fairytale, parades her overpowering belligerence and devilish look, retells the story from the angle of the villain Maleficent, an evil fairy (with two giant horns) who puts the sleeping spell on princess Aurora (Fanning) in order toA quite long absence from big screen, since THE TOURIST (2010, 7/10), Angelina Jolie is back with this unorthodox adaption of Grimm Brothers Sleeping Beauty fairytale, parades her overpowering belligerence and devilish look, retells the story from the angle of the villain Maleficent, an evil fairy (with two giant horns) who puts the sleeping spell on princess Aurora (Fanning) in order to pay back to her father King Stefan (Copley) for his brutal betrayal.
    continue to read my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore.
  14. Jun 1, 2014
    An overall enjoyable time at the movies. Jolie was really good and there are some cool set pieces as well as creature designs. The movie was fairly predictable and the rest of the performances were just ok, but all in all the movie was solid.
  15. Oct 29, 2014
    This movie is ok but it lacks any of the wonder or imagination of the original Sleeping Beauty. Visually the film works, it looks great unfortunatly thats the best part similar to other disney retellings. The story is sloppy and man are those fairies annoying. C+
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    Disney combined story aspects from Frozen,Beauty and the beast and Pocahontas .. and this is the result.. decent movie with great acting...6/10 , just because of Jolie's outstanding performance!
  17. Rem
    Jun 2, 2014
    When I first saw the "Dream Trailer" for Maleficent a couple months back, I was instantly hyped for the movie. Disney was on a roll recently, and it seemed they could continue bombarding us with great films, however, Maleficent is anything but great. To start off, the movie is painstakingly predictable, and the movie even pulls a "Frozen" twist near the end. IT doesn't help that the humorWhen I first saw the "Dream Trailer" for Maleficent a couple months back, I was instantly hyped for the movie. Disney was on a roll recently, and it seemed they could continue bombarding us with great films, however, Maleficent is anything but great. To start off, the movie is painstakingly predictable, and the movie even pulls a "Frozen" twist near the end. IT doesn't help that the humor falls between forced and empty. That doesn't deny the fact that the effects of the movie were indeed impressive. But the one thing I had gripes with was Angelina Jolie as Maleficent, she simply does not deliver as she seems like she's holding back from what seems to be a fantastic villain. People will certainly enjoy this movie, but for others like me who had big expectations from this movie, it just doesn't save it from the fact that Ella Fanning plays a terrible Aurora. Just go and rewatch Frozen, you'll love that one more. Expand
  18. Jun 2, 2014
    There is one word that can be used to sufficiently describe Robert Stromberg’s directorial efforts in his debut Maleficent, and that word is amateurish. He starts off with a spin on a classic childhood movie that places the focus on the original supposed antagonist – a concept that is both clever and somewhat uninspired (refer to Wicked and more recently, Oz the Great and Powerful). HeThere is one word that can be used to sufficiently describe Robert Stromberg’s directorial efforts in his debut Maleficent, and that word is amateurish. He starts off with a spin on a classic childhood movie that places the focus on the original supposed antagonist – a concept that is both clever and somewhat uninspired (refer to Wicked and more recently, Oz the Great and Powerful). He then employs a plot so painfully simple and straightforward, it even manages to make 97 minutes feel like a stretch. He tosses in some straight-from-the-source dialogue and a few awkwardly fitting characters – Maleficent’s crow, who also doubles as her eternally indebted shape-shifting cohort; an irrelevant generic Prince Charming who occupies roughly five minutes of screen time; and the three pixies who more closely resemble the klutzy comical witches of Hocus Pocus than their original counterparts. Finally, he blends everything together, applies a fantastical, Alice In Wonderland-esque visual aesthetic filter, and slaps the Disney logo on top to create an expensive blockbuster that never feels even remotely unique. The only aspect of this movie that stands out ¬¬(and makes you wonder whose movie this truly is) is the riveting, spot on performance from Angelina Jolie.
    There is no doubt that Jolie’s performance – heck, even her presence – enhances Maleficent. However, I would take it one step further and argue that, without Jolie, Maleficent would be nothing (sorry, Stromberg). Maleficent works for Jolie in two ways. Firstly, it serves as a safe and reliable investment for an executive producer who also happens to be the lead actress. I concede that Maleficent isn’t a flat-out bomb; it would really take a lot to screw up such a straightforward and tasty (if not fresh) film. Jolie hopped onto this film with the assurance that it would not scar her reputation in the financial world of film. Secondly, Maleficent works as a steadfast vehicle for a prominent actress who hasn’t flaunted her fabulous lips and cheekbones on the big screen for almost four years. This title role allows her to slip back into theaters without having to devote herself to a heavy and overly involving dramatic role, while at the same time not scarring her reputation in the acting world of film. Simply put, Jolie is a beautiful genius, and while Maleficent surely isn’t her “best” work, it does what it needs to without shedding any blood.
    While Maleficent fails to succeed on many fronts, it is necessary to discuss one of the largest aspects the film miraculously manages to get just right. Maleficent looks just as glorious as it should – and I am referring to both the film and its powerful protagonist. It is actually not too much of a surprise to find that Stromberg gets the visual effects right. Before Maleficent, Stromberg worked in the visual effects departments of such films as Pan’s Labyrinth, The Golden Compass, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, as well as a production designer for Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, and Oz the Great and Powerful. In Maleficent, Stromberg achieves clean equilibriums in his visual aesthetic between dark and light, somber and wonderful, and dynamic and static. He expresses emotion best not through dialogue and acting, but through color and atmosphere, a laudable feat for a man who worked so long in the visual department. Maleficent the fairy also represents the epitome of bringing fiction to life through exceptional production design and costume and makeup. In the film, Jolie is never masked or dressed up to be someone else. Instead, her accessories enhance her being and elevate her persona into the most intimidating fairy I’ve seen on the big screen in quite some time. In fantasy film, little is more important that ensuring that the larger-than-life characters still resemble reality and humanity, and Maleficent pulls this off flawlessly.
    In the end, Maleficent will undoubtedly appeal to its target audience, as well as garner Jolie some new (probably younger) fans. It will also make Jolie a mountain of money. So while Maleficent may not be a cinematic success (on almost all levels), it does effectively serve its two main purposes; it allows Stromberg to take more control of his artistic visions with his own film, and it acts as a sufficient vehicle for Angelina Jolie to show her gorgeous face on the big screen after almost four years.

FINAL SCORE: 2½ out of 5 stars (raw score: 52.5, between “OK” and “a decent watch”)
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    Maleficent serves as a great return back to the screen for Angelina Jolie, but it doesn't go much farther than that. The story does nothing interesting to adapt the original tale, and the movie never moves past average. The special effects are good, and the musical score is on par, but the real reason to see this movie is Jolie. She plays a great Maleficent.
  20. May 31, 2014
    From the start of the movie it was very nice and all but up until the preclimax of the movie did it reach its peak of the mountain. Something tells me that the director held back because the rating of this movie is G (Suitable for all) and not PG (Parantel Guidance is advised). I was greatly disapointed with how this movie ended but it seems that that was the only flaw I found in thisFrom the start of the movie it was very nice and all but up until the preclimax of the movie did it reach its peak of the mountain. Something tells me that the director held back because the rating of this movie is G (Suitable for all) and not PG (Parantel Guidance is advised). I was greatly disapointed with how this movie ended but it seems that that was the only flaw I found in this movie.
    Overall, it's an okay movie. Not very good or good sadly. It could've been better if the current writer gave a little more time to write it then it would've been thrilling.
  21. Jun 1, 2014
    Great visual effects, but the develop of the principal character is poor. A cruel villain that actually never was a cruel villain? I recognize however, the effort that Angeline put into her character but, it was simply bad written.
  22. Mar 22, 2015
    Maleficent is an expensive and beautiful cartoon, tried to be different, to become something else that is common for nowadays audience, but unfortunately, this time, "different" means "weirdest".
  23. Jul 5, 2014
    My name is Aurora, so this movie was really amazing for me. But, this is not good one. It looks like fan-fiction or something. I compared it with Snow White and The Huntsman, and Maleficent was really failed in story. Basically, I was wondering when they will give me the real story of Sleeping Beauty. Rather than put Maleficent being a good fairy-godmother, they should put the story ofMy name is Aurora, so this movie was really amazing for me. But, this is not good one. It looks like fan-fiction or something. I compared it with Snow White and The Huntsman, and Maleficent was really failed in story. Basically, I was wondering when they will give me the real story of Sleeping Beauty. Rather than put Maleficent being a good fairy-godmother, they should put the story of Prince Phillip's mother who was a troll. That's the real twist in the original story. But, the CGI was awesome, very AVATAR movie. I just didn't like how it turned into 'very new-original' thing. Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2015
    Everyone is irrelevant but Maleficent pretty much. Even the three fairies who are supposed to watch over Aurora are careless morons in this. But Jolie shines enough to make it watchable despite it hacking up the Sleeping Beauty story.
  25. Jun 17, 2014
    "Maleficent" is the debut feature for Robert Stromberg, after a career in production design and special effects (he won Oscars for both Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" and James Cameron's "Avatar").
    The film focuses on the story of a fairy named Maleficent. She lives in kingdom of magical creatures, which is surrounded by a kingdom of humans, governed by a greedy king who is adamant on taking over the magical surroundings. Upon seeing his army vanquished, he requests that one of his underlings vanquishes Maleficent and gains access to her kingdom. This request is taken by Stefan, an ambitious young man, whom Maleficent has loved since her young childhood. He takes advantage of her affections, and that drives her to a dark side and to seek revenge upon all the wrongs inflected on her and her kind.
    Robert Stromberg is clearly a talented technician, with a gift to create universes that are rich and support the vision from other filmmakers and storytellers. However, in his debut feature, he does not benefit from a rich enough screenplay, to actually provide a canvas for his story telling and universe to be brought to life. The central character, Maleficent, though larger than life and rich enough to have a film focused on her, fails to have much to do throughout the film, thanks to a reductive screenplay, where the trifecta of her motivations are love/revenge/redemption. In the hands of a more experienced director, that would be enough for a richly layered film, however Robert Stromberg merely illustrates the story in a decorative way, giving a hint of a certain darkness, never probing much deeper into the character of Maleficent. Angelina Jolie does a fantastic job, as usual, investing the character with a depth that the film never matches, however the supporting actors have little to do with characters that are basic archetypes. A missed opportunity.
  26. Jun 29, 2014
    Angelia Jolie makes this film watchable, despite its flaws. Honestly, its intentions outweigh its flaws in almost every way. And Sharlto Copley gave one of his better performances to date. If I were a little kid I would have really enjoyed it. Way better than Snow White and the Huntsman.
  27. Sep 3, 2014
    A new and entirely different look at Disney's Maleficent. They've taken influence from Wicked--but, unfortunately, were unable to match it. Angelina Jolie's performance as Maleficent is notable, and may even be recognized by the Globes.
  28. Jun 30, 2014
    Angelina Jolie was good but that is really the only positive thing to come out of Maleficent. Uninteresting characters, slow pacing and an anti-climatic final showdown provide little life in this boring film.
  29. Nov 15, 2014
    Angelina Jolie was clearly what saved this movie. The way she approached her lines was great, but there were too many dramatic shots of her doing nothing. If the story was a little more in depth I think it would have been a much better film.
  30. Jan 25, 2015
    The movie looks so beautiful, Angelina Jolie is perfect in her role, there are a couple of powerful moments and overall it is not boring. But the story is weak, the most interesting part is the first act, while there´s a big amount of minutes where nothing seems to happen in the second act. Nice message with some women empowerment. Not much more going on. You can stream it.
  31. Aug 21, 2014
    The twisting of a classic fairy-tale is never easy - and it definitely shows how Disney is running out of original ideas, but the film in itself is not that bad, although completely dependent on Angelina Jolie's acting.

Indeed the other actors are not quite up to the task, with the weird accent changes (I suppose the growingly Scottish accent of Stephan symbolizes his embitterment) and the exaggerated facial expressions... but if you have in mind it's a fairy-tale, it's all quite forgivable and forgettable. And Angelina looks like she could get a couple more pounds on her legs and neck, to be fair.

This film has a grand plot hole - I'm sure some have noticed. In my opinion, 10 to 20 minutes more of duration added to the ending could have fixed it, and would have probably made Maleficent a much better movie, but as we know, Disney don't like their movies to be more than 100 minutes long.

I wasn't expecting intelligent writing, big plot twists, witty dialogue, so I wasn't disappointed when I found none of those: again, the perspective is that of a fairy-tale, and it is, after all, a film meant for children. I just hope they have watched the animated Sleeping Beauty, or even better read the fairy-tale, before they watch Maleficent.
  32. Dec 10, 2014
    Not bad but not that good either. Story was ok, very familiar. Angelina is a veteran actor so no complains there, others were ok I guess. They put a lot of effort into making the fantasy world and it shows.
  33. Oct 19, 2014
    It’s not like Frozen, not even close.

It’s not like Frozen, not even close.

Angelina Joline is the best thing with Malefecient, she is so great and no one could replace her and perform better! There are some entertaining moments in this movie that I truly enjoy and it’s both unique and groovy. But when it comes to the story and the bad CGI isn’t Malefecient a great movie. Malefecient doesn’t got the "Disney Magic” like Frozen or other big movies, it felt like a mix between a Disney movie and a reality based movie. The klimax of the film is another aspect that they could have done better, and there are some boring scenes. The worst thing is Sharlto Copley, the worst actor you could choose to play a king!

Malefecient is Disney's weakest installment of the year.

Malefecient get a 6/10.
  34. Jun 24, 2014
    This unfortunate vanity project for Angelina Jolie could have been a thing of greatness. Not only does it suffer from complete lack of character development but it also fails to create any interest in anyone beyond the title character. We get a glimmer into Princess Aurora’s mind and energy but as quickly as we start to gain interest, Maleficent casts a sleeping spell; much like this filmThis unfortunate vanity project for Angelina Jolie could have been a thing of greatness. Not only does it suffer from complete lack of character development but it also fails to create any interest in anyone beyond the title character. We get a glimmer into Princess Aurora’s mind and energy but as quickly as we start to gain interest, Maleficent casts a sleeping spell; much like this film does to its audience. Expand
  35. Jun 17, 2014
  36. Dec 3, 2014
    The visuals are striking and Angelina Jolie is phenomenal but even those points can't compensate "Maleficent" from its bland narrative and hackneyed tone.
  37. Jul 28, 2014
    What a missed opportunity to do something really exceptional! Angelina Jolie is the perfect fit for the role, but the script is pretty generic (let alone, far far away from the original tale) and the characters are indeed too one-sided. Some passionless love-stories and an unsatisfying ending make clear that the picture wasn't as inspired as shown in the teaser trailers. There are someWhat a missed opportunity to do something really exceptional! Angelina Jolie is the perfect fit for the role, but the script is pretty generic (let alone, far far away from the original tale) and the characters are indeed too one-sided. Some passionless love-stories and an unsatisfying ending make clear that the picture wasn't as inspired as shown in the teaser trailers. There are some very interesting points to be made, but it's the visual effects and Jolie's majestic presence that are highlighted. You cannot base a whole film on fight sequences and senseless humour. I enjoyed some scenes (baby Aurora is actually cute), I liked the CGI, I'm happy the film didn't eventually flop as some had said, but I was disappointed because I was expecting much more and I believed "Maleficent" had a unique potential, a unique chance to transform a dark tale, such as Sleeping Beauty, to a darker, richer one. A much better movie than others this summer to check out, though. Expand
  38. Oct 3, 2014
    I mulled over how to rate this movie, I knew it was only about average, but I wasn't sure if it was deserving of a four or a six. The effects were fine (nice but nothing ground-breaking) and when there was action it was fairly well done. The characters were consistently stupid (lets not have guards around the king and his baby during a big party). Jolie did fine as Maleficent but thereI mulled over how to rate this movie, I knew it was only about average, but I wasn't sure if it was deserving of a four or a six. The effects were fine (nice but nothing ground-breaking) and when there was action it was fairly well done. The characters were consistently stupid (lets not have guards around the king and his baby during a big party). Jolie did fine as Maleficent but there were definitely moments where her acting faltered.

All-in-all it had some interesting spins on the old Disney movie (and some stupid ones) but it was not perfect. If you want to see the movie I'd recommend renting it rather than buying it, it's not worth multiple screenings.
  39. WJS
    Feb 21, 2015
    This film looks fantastic, with amazing effects and spectacular production design. However, if not for Angelina Jolie's mesmerizing performance it would lose a lot of its charm (or potential for charm). It gets dragged down in its own story and proves to be a lot darker than it really needs to be.
  40. Nov 22, 2014
    Maleficent was incredibly predictable. I didn't like just because of it being so predictable. It's barely original, since there are so many cliches that unfortunately benefit to the predictability behind the movie.
  41. Jun 5, 2015
    Um conto de fadas? Eu sei que o conto de fadas mescla a realidade com a fantasia, mas fantasia não é personagens com comportamento inconveniente, mas os pontos positivos do filme é aquela apenas fantasia demostrada em alguma partes do filme, aquela fantasia que não inclui o comportamento da protagonista.
  42. Apr 12, 2015
    Why, Why does Disney have to reboot Sleeping Beauty? Now, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original movie but it was a pretty decent flick. But what I loved the most about the movie was the villain, Maleficent. She was so creepy and evil, it was awesome! So when I heard Disney was going to make a live action adaptation of Sleeping Beauty focused completely on Maleficent, I was excited. ButWhy, Why does Disney have to reboot Sleeping Beauty? Now, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original movie but it was a pretty decent flick. But what I loved the most about the movie was the villain, Maleficent. She was so creepy and evil, it was awesome! So when I heard Disney was going to make a live action adaptation of Sleeping Beauty focused completely on Maleficent, I was excited. But my god was I wrong! For one, they make Maleficent good. That is such a bad idea and the worst part is they want us to simpithize with her! Uh, hello you realize she cursed and infant baby right? Speeking of which, Aurora is really bland in this movie. And don't even get me started on Prince Philip, he's pretty much useless in this film. King Stefen is probably the most forgettable Disney villains ever. The three fairies, WHAT THE HECK!!! They turned them into Three Stooges Expand

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Jun 9, 2014
    Imaginatively, it places all the known elements of the story in different contexts, completely recasting this familiar fairy tale into a more poignant and resonant work.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Jun 2, 2014
    Maleficent is an admittedly great-looking, sometimes creepy, often plodding and utterly unconvincing re-imagining of a famous romantic fairy tale as a female empowerment metaphor.
  3. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Jun 2, 2014
    If this tiresome yarn is the ‘true’ story of one of Disney’s most popular villains then, please, give us colourful lies and happy ignorance.