8.5

1. R.L.
    Jan 5, 2009
    A truly extraordinary film! I loved every minute of it.
  2. sathyav.
    Dec 18, 2007
    I love this movie. we must view this film in an auto-analystic way of admiring the characters. this movie has some magic that we keep on thinking about it even after weeks or months...oops! i must say this is a movie of a life time. i'm glad to have it in my collections of dvd. tornatore is way ahead of mankind.
  3. ChrisS.
    Apr 4, 2006
    What a great movie. Excellent performances with a spectacular score and striking images. You won't forget this one.
  4. W.ChristopherH.
    May 2, 2005
    In the past I have greatly admired Tornatore movies, but this one is just not worth the time. It's almost as if he watched Fellini's "Amarcord," decided to focus entirely on the character "La Gradisca" from that movie, also included the obsessive attention to pre-teen auto-eroticism, and then turned it all into some sort of cruel neo-realist "critique." It's got all the In the past I have greatly admired Tornatore movies, but this one is just not worth the time. It's almost as if he watched Fellini's "Amarcord," decided to focus entirely on the character "La Gradisca" from that movie, also included the obsessive attention to pre-teen auto-eroticism, and then turned it all into some sort of cruel neo-realist "critique." It's got all the cruel intensity of a Giovanni Verga novel near the end, which is very Sicilian, but completely misplaced. It's rather disgusting, in fact. Tornatore was already going downhill at "The Star Maker," but this takes the cake. Expand
  5. HallaA.
    Oct 7, 2003
    I loved it. very beautifully portrayed at how sometimes beauty isn't exactly always a blessing.
  6. WillyBilly
    Dec 23, 2002
    The Best Lovley Musical Beauty File that i saw yet ... What a greate object ;)
  7. ChristopheC.
    Dec 17, 2002
    The most beautiful story I've ever seen.
  8. AliH.
    Nov 15, 2002
    Outstanding movie.
  9. LorenzoV.
    Sep 2, 2002
    A brilliant cinematic triumph! A film whose intent is to evoke nostalgia succeeds in every level. I was galvanized emotionally, psychologically, and visially by the story and its characters. A must see.
  10. X.boy
    Jul 26, 2002
    Great! You Must See It.
  11. FransVDB
    Jul 17, 2002
    I felt so sorry for this young woman being so mistreated by the men-who-couldn't-get-her and the jealous women who wished they had just a whif of the style that Malena had.
  12. BalaC.
    Jun 16, 2002
    Fantastic.
  13. P.Murray
    Jun 8, 2002
    Excellent film! Well conceived and executed with outstanding performances. Bellucci shines!! A must see in the world of films!!!
  14. HaikalS.
    Jan 9, 2002
    Excellent film with glorious masterpiece of art.
  15. JohnA.
    Nov 19, 2001
    A beautiful movie, revealing life in small town minds, with triumph as a finale. A great movie.
  16. JoeK.
    Sep 7, 2001
    Quite disturbing, although beautifully cast and played. Could have used some more interaction between lead players, such as lending - or trying to lend - a hand when Malena is turned upon.
  17. MichaelF.
    Jul 31, 2001
    This is a touching and wonderful coming-of-age film brilliantly acted and told through a boy's eyes on a woman he's never met. The boy matures by fantsizing about this woman and following her. This is a great movie but at one scene, a scene which is SO disturbing that its hard to watch. Rent this film!
  18. R.V.
    Jul 22, 2001
    Excellent movie, very disturbing seen with the mob of jealous women.
  19. AlfredoM.
    May 7, 2001
    Great!!
  20. AlfredoM.
    Apr 20, 2001
    Great!!

1. Gives audiences something more than just a heart-stopping beauty to contemplate.
  2. Malena the film is as beautiful and seductive as its heroine, with its ravishing Lajos Koltai cinematography and sweepingly romantic Ennio Morricone score.
  3. Striking photography, period detail, screen-filling crowd scenes, and veteran composer Morricone's score make this one worth seeing, but the sheer nastiness of the town's people drags it down.