Mamma Mia!

6.9

1. ElliottW
    Dec 18, 2008
    I'm going to give it a five. I personally didnt like it very much, but my mother did, so I suppose this film is only good for the girls.
  2. Sep 26, 2011
    What I sure know is that they have the crappiest script of the year...
  3. StephenW.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Thought the stage play was great, think the film is terrible. IMO the type of play did not translate well. If you want to see a funny, entertaining and great feel good musical on the screen, take a turn to Hairspray.
  4. StevenH.
    Jul 28, 2008
    The Broadway musical was much better -- very clever & creative story. The "Parent" group was too old -- should have been folks in their 40's not pushing 60 like Streep, Brosnan & crew. Otherwise, pretty fun & entertaining.
  5. MirceaC.
    Feb 2, 2009
    It's a movie that FORCES you to be happy.I don't like that.
  6. GavinC
    Aug 7, 2009
    Although 'Mamma Mia' certainly has more believable characters and can make you tap your feet now and then, only SOME of the voices are passable and the amount of time separating each song is ridiculous.
  7. KS.
    Jul 20, 2008
    Well, as a veteran of 3 live performances of Mamma Mia including one on Broadway....I thought Meryl Streep's and Pierce Brosnan's singing was really pretty awful. And Christine Baransky's performance was sooooo bland and boring. I was disappointed.
  8. BillC
    Jul 29, 2008
    Just so-so. Not as good as Chicago or Rent. The story has an ackward flow, and the music and dance seemed to add little. Maybe 2 good music numbers , the others felt like filler to me. Meryl Streep is fearless and I give her credit for another fine job.
  9. ChadS.
    Jul 21, 2008
    During the "Mamma Mia" number, Greek peasants crawl over the side of a building wall like extras in a Billy Idol video. And indeed, Donna(Meryl Streep) has been dancing with herself ever since Sam(Pierce Brosnan) broke her heart twenty years ago on the same Greek island she lives with her daughter Sophie(Amanda Seyfried). Now, on the cusp of her daughter's white wedding, he's During the "Mamma Mia" number, Greek peasants crawl over the side of a building wall like extras in a Billy Idol video. And indeed, Donna(Meryl Streep) has been dancing with herself ever since Sam(Pierce Brosnan) broke her heart twenty years ago on the same Greek island she lives with her daughter Sophie(Amanda Seyfried). Now, on the cusp of her daughter's white wedding, he's back, along with two other partners from her post-Sam sex bender in "Mamma Mia", the ABBA musical that couldn't find a place for "Knowing Me, Knowing You" and "Fernando". The thin storyline is just an excuse to kill the time in between songs anyway, so the omission of these two standards from the Swedish supergroup's canon seems somewhat arbitrary...and cruel(I love "Knowing Me, Knowing You", especially the "ah-haa" just before the girls launch into "there is nothing we can do"). No need to despair though, there's still "Dancing Queen", the emotional locus of "Mamma Mia", as "Fernando" was for the ABBA-centric(and superior) "Muriel's Wedding". Sung from the perspective of a middle-aged woman, "you can dance/you can jive/havin' the time of your life", Streep's winning rendition transforms this insanely catchy piece of bubble gum into an anthem for lost youth. It's like watching Stevie Nicks perform "Landslide". And then there's Pierce Brosnan's duet with Streep on "SOS", in which James Bond has the audience searching their memory banks for another example of an equally laughable singing performance(think Rob Lowe's serenading of Snow White on an Academy Award telecast from yesteryear). Since Seyfried has the strongest voice in a cast of mostly non-singers, it's a shame that she wasn't assigned to a meaty song like "Take a Chance of Me". Julie Walters' menopausal take on the formerly infectious song about love's first blush left me feeling depressed. And why does the Geico caveman("Jazz hands. Anything with jazz hands.") get better direction from his choreographer than any of the performers from a film that originated on the Broadway stage? Expand
  10. JesterM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    It's become a bit of a cliche these days to underestimate the impact of a good set of vocal chords. but I think that we can safely assume that Mr. P. Brosnan is not going to cry himself to sleep at night if we point out that his lungs give off about as much power as my powerpuff girls nightlight. I mean really people, we need to get over our idolization of 'A' list actors, It's become a bit of a cliche these days to underestimate the impact of a good set of vocal chords. but I think that we can safely assume that Mr. P. Brosnan is not going to cry himself to sleep at night if we point out that his lungs give off about as much power as my powerpuff girls nightlight. I mean really people, we need to get over our idolization of 'A' list actors, and actually cast some true to life broadway talent in these roles that involve singing, lest we all leave the theaters futily trying to stem the bleeding coming from our ears. Other than that the movie was somewhat entertaining. Expand
  11. DanE.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Great music, bad plot, bad plot and a bad plot.
  12. TonyH
    May 8, 2009
    Perhaps my opinion is tainted because I've seen the Broadway version multiple times, but there was little to this movie that kept me interested. I found myself watching it just to see how badly it compared to the stage version. If it weren't for the fact that the movie stays fairly true to the Broadway script, this rating would be even lower.
  13. LeeW
    Dec 16, 2008
    I've always been a big fan of musicals, and I have to say that this was one of the worst musicals I have ever seen. Go back and look at the dancing, and most of the singing, and I think you'll see how laughable this is next to films like "Moulin Rouge" or "Singing in The Rain." The story was fair, but not worth the $20 bucks.
  14. ronnier
    Jul 23, 2008
    Was ok i love abba and that is what save thi s movie otherwise i thin kit was lacking overall.
  15. AndreR.
    Jan 18, 2009
    I enjoyed the music, but the movie itself was not that great. It seemed a bit silly. But, I supposed that the script had to be adapted to fit the music.
  16. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't. The problem with this movie was that there were too many songs. Sure, there were three ABBA songs I loved listening to while watching, but musicals don't have to have a song every second of the movie. The greatest musicals ever (ranging from The Sound of Music to some Disney movies in the 90s) had songs, but left room for actual dialogue to move the plot forward. That is where Mamma Mia fails at, being one long music video instead. Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2011
    'ABBA' are a great band but I didn't really think that 'Mamma Mia' was very good. Colin Firth unfortunately didn't pull off his role. Julie Walters is one of the best actresses ever but she definitly shouldn't have done this film. Amanda Seyfreid screaming along a pier is just wrong, AND MERYL STREEP IN DUNGAREES!!!! The story is rubbish aswell, but apart from that it was good.
  18. Dec 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you like ABBA then this will be one of your favorites. The musical numbers are fun through. It was hard not to dance or sing along to this(Not that I actually danced or sang along because I'm a guy). This featured a great cast including some great actors like Meryl Streep and Colin Firth. The plot itself was very horrible. It was actually laughable and not in a good way. If this is a comedy then where are the jokes? Either way, it stars Amanda Seyfried playing Sophie. She and her mom live on an island. She has no idea who her farther is so she invites the three men who could be her farther to her wedding. At the end all three of them decide to share her as a daughter. What kind of resolution was that? To add to the stupidity Sophie decides not to get married. Instead Sophie's mom and Sam get married after all the years. The only real reason to watch this is for the musical numbers. Expand
  19. Jul 10, 2013
    De un momento a otro sale Mamma mia reviviendo el genero del musical, un genero que no aparecia o vivia hace aƱos y que se remonta en una pelicula, resalto cosas como los grandes actores, sin embargo hace falta un poco mas de cosas

1. It's a delightful piece of filmmaking with a marvelous cast topped by Meryl Streep in one of her smartest and most entertaining performances ever.
  2. Reviewed by: Jordan Mintzer
    Scribe-creator Catherine Johnson (also in her first screen outing) and theater-opera vet Lloyd can't seem to find the right tone or style for their globally celebrated material.
  3. Seyfried (of Big Love and Mean Girls) is a radiant object and can sing, but I'd like to forget the others--especially Brosnan, whose singing is the best imitation I've heard of a water buffalo.