7.0

1. ronnier
    Jul 23, 2008
    Was ok i love abba and that is what save thi s movie otherwise i thin kit was lacking overall.
  2. Catherine
    Jul 26, 2008
    Oh my God. Who is Ray Bennett, and how did he get a job reviewing movies? I'm so embarrassed for him, almost as embarrassed as I was watching Mamma Mia. I only give this a 2 (rather than a 1) because I was moved by the mother/daughter song. The rest of it was excruciating.
  3. roystong.
    Jul 27, 2008
    It is hard for a stage musical to transfer to the screen. The result can be 'stagey' and disapointing. But this version of Mamm Mia succeeds becasue of its setting ad the sheer energy and fun displyed by the characters. I am astounded by those critics who were unhappy. Stop being pretentious and just enjoy the movie. And please , let's recognise Meryl Streep again at the Oscars.
  4. RonC.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Very Enjoyable Lots of energy Meryl Streep ,was great Bronson xouold not sing but othjers great!
  5. jet.
    Jul 27, 2008
    This is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen in my life by a mile. Where to begin. Why does Meryl Streep think she can sing and why would anybody let her? It is actually an insult to the music of ABBA to hear Meryl sing their songs. Pierce Brosnan is ten times worse. Christine Baranski, I love her I really do, but how long can she play the same high-society drunk? Oh look, here This is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen in my life by a mile. Where to begin. Why does Meryl Streep think she can sing and why would anybody let her? It is actually an insult to the music of ABBA to hear Meryl sing their songs. Pierce Brosnan is ten times worse. Christine Baranski, I love her I really do, but how long can she play the same high-society drunk? Oh look, here she's sipping hilariously from an overflowing tropically ornamented drink? Seriously, if you think that's funny, you need to get out more. In fact, shockingly, for such a song-heavy movie, you think they'd have cast, oh I don't know, singers maybe? My biggest pet peeve is the overly literal pantomiming of lyrics when singing or lip synching. For example, the American Idol kids drive me up a wall when they sing a song with the word "around" in it and they make a twirly motion in the air with a hand to suggest...you guessed it..."around". Such theatrics are redundant and insulting to the intelligence of both the lyricist and the audience. A real singer delivers a lyric vocally, not by some hackneyed game of charades. This was Mamma Mia in a nutshell: a series of casual, unpolished performances charitably characterized as karaoke, painfully re-engineered to give the semblance of tunefulness and accompanied by unnecessary hand motions which echoed the lyrics. During Dancing Queen, when they sang the lyric that goes "see that girl, watch that scene", Julie Walters actually made a circular motion with her left hand while holding her right hand in front of her face in imitation of an old-fashioned movie camera like you might do when you're playing charades. She sings "watch that scene" while pretend-cranking a camera with her hands. How juvenile. Maybe if a shred of effort had been put into developing characters beyond a cookie-cutter -- I use this adjective charitably -- plot device the movie may have had a shot at rising above the level of a 5th grade musical twice rehearsed. How long did it take for the director to come up with the idea of pretend-cranking a movie camera while flailing in a jumpsuit? About one second? Is this what ABBA is reduced to, a series of comic gestures in ironic costuming and eyeshadow? You can almost imagine the director working: "OK, here the lyric says 'I hear' so Christine, I want you to cup your hand around your ear and pretend like you're hearing a sound. OK Meryl, I know this song has nothing whatsoever to do with this contrived plot line and, frankly, I'm not even sure what your motivation is because your character is hopelessly flat and unbelievable, so much so in fact that I keep thinking to myself, 'Hey that's Meryl Streep over there', anyhow, Meryl just have your eyes brim over with tears, then midway through the song fight them back defiantly and then end with a sense of triumph over adversity. People will think you're acting and that way, we can shoehorn this song into this cockamamie plot. OK, Julie, your turn. Just cup your breasts raunchily every thirty seconds and floss random pieces of fabric and wayward costuming betwixt your legs...that's always good for a laugh. Oh, and Julie, don't forget to fall all the time. Falls are funny, right? " Everyone is always falling in the movie. During one particularly nauseating scene, Christine Baranski pounces cougar-like onto a beach hottie causing him to fall at least four times in the same musical number. Julie Walters slides down a roof and hangs on comically to a rickety eave. I am not making this up. Meryl falls through a roof, landing unconvincingly and contrivedly with her legs over her head in a yoga position: Who lands like that? You got the sense that the movie began with a limited supply of gimmicky pratfalls, quickly exhausted them and then repeated them mercilessly throughout. Why was this movie made? Certainly not out of reverence for ABBA (except in that backhanded ironic oh-isn't-it-crazy-cool-to-love-ABBA way). ABBA was better than that. Everybody associated with this movie should be banned from film-making forever. Expand
  6. MonaA.
    Jul 28, 2008
    If you're really into musicals, you'll love this movie. I'm not that big of a fan of musicals but I thought this was pretty decent. After watching the gory Sweeney Todd just a few days ago, this movie lifted my spirits and brightened my day.
  7. Nancyfarmer
    Jul 31, 2008
    I like Abba, Meryl Streep, and Pierce Brosnan, but I HATED this movie! Horrible! I have walked out of exactly two movies during my lifetime (and I'm nearly 50 and I go to he movies at least once a week). I left during the Streep/Brosnan number on the mountain trail before the wedding. Horrible! Why did Brosnan do it? I'm really grieving because the crush I had on him came to a I like Abba, Meryl Streep, and Pierce Brosnan, but I HATED this movie! Horrible! I have walked out of exactly two movies during my lifetime (and I'm nearly 50 and I go to he movies at least once a week). I left during the Streep/Brosnan number on the mountain trail before the wedding. Horrible! Why did Brosnan do it? I'm really grieving because the crush I had on him came to a screeching (literally!) halt. Such a waste of time, money and talent. Expand
  8. starpower
    Aug 13, 2008
    This is so bad, i think the plot gave me cancer, and even pubic lice. the acting was terrible, and my date complained about the music, and wanted to buy a abba CD to destroy after watching this S.O.B movie.
  9. BAda
    Aug 15, 2008
    Great story. great music. great acting. Amazing movie.
  10. randyw.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Amazing! Best movie I've seen in years! You'll love it! Acting and singing are outstanding!
  11. SharronC.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I loved the movie..it's so uplifting, spirited, "get up and dance feeling" and sing to the top of your lungs...one must keep in mind, it is a broadway musical so it is a different tone than just a regular movie. I give it a 10 plus.
  12. TriciaR.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Loved this movie!!! Full of zest and joie de vivre. Every woman I know who saw it bursts out in smiles and enthusiasm for the uplift and joy of it.
  13. Natalie
    Aug 25, 2008
    I thought the plot sucked, but the songs were wonderful. And Streep was very committed to the movie, so I gave her some bonus points and the Dancing Queen part was great. The plot just seemed very neglected and the writer should be shook. And maybe given a back handed slap.
  14. PatG.
    Aug 28, 2008
    Yah, it's campy, but it is also light and airy and fun. If you need some uplifting escape, this will fill the bill. Meryl is always watchable, and Amanda Seyfried's amazing beauty is too.
  15. LaverneS.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Best, happiest movie I've ever seen!! Fantastic music, beautiful scenery, laughs - you'll leave singing!!
  16. NoreenM.
    Sep 12, 2008
    I loved this movie. Although the singing wasn't perfect it rather added to the whole experience.
  17. AndreR.
    Jan 18, 2009
    I enjoyed the music, but the movie itself was not that great. It seemed a bit silly. But, I supposed that the script had to be adapted to fit the music.
  18. R.Lopez
    Jan 25, 2009
    Amazing!! Mamma Mia is the first genuinely funny and most lavishing musical I've seen yet. Mamma Mia stars Amanda Seyfried as Sophie a girl on the verge of getting married in two days, there's just one catch. She wants her father to give her away except she doesn't know who her father is, know it's a musical mystery to which of the three men she invited to the villa is Amazing!! Mamma Mia is the first genuinely funny and most lavishing musical I've seen yet. Mamma Mia stars Amanda Seyfried as Sophie a girl on the verge of getting married in two days, there's just one catch. She wants her father to give her away except she doesn't know who her father is, know it's a musical mystery to which of the three men she invited to the villa is her father, could it be Sam Carmichael the architect, Bill the free spirit, or Harry the quiet business man. Which one could it be? That's an answer for you to find out in this amazingly beautiful musical that boast some of the best ABBA song around and some other great music too. Mamma Mai is a treat for the whole family, it's one of those movies you can enjoy watching again and again.I very highly recommended this great film. Expand
  19. JosephF.
    Dec 13, 2008
    The best band of all time.
  20. grego
    Dec 25, 2008
    One of the worst films I've seen in 40 yrs.Singing is terrible.I'm tired of Hollywood inserting homosexuality into movies that do not need to have any in it!!
  21. Oct 6, 2010
    I don't like Abba's music and I really don't like this film. How cheesy and boring the musical genre has become. How degrading this must of been for the cool and calm 007 Piers Brosnan, give the man a medal for actually singing. Give me any other film (Seriously,anything?) to watch cause this one is shocking.
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't. The problem with this movie was that there were too many songs. Sure, there were three ABBA songs I loved listening to while watching, but musicals don't have to have a song every second of the movie. The greatest musicals ever (ranging from The Sound of Music to some Disney movies in the 90s) had songs, but left room for actual dialogue to move the plot forward. That is where Mamma Mia fails at, being one long music video instead. Expand
  23. Jan 11, 2011
    It is another musical movie, the songs are tribute for ABBA, the popular pop band in 70s and 80s. There is simple story about a girl that wants his father presence in her wedding day. The problem is she did not know who her father is. She has been raised by her mother alone. According to his mother diary, there are three possibilities represent with three persons that could be her father.It is another musical movie, the songs are tribute for ABBA, the popular pop band in 70s and 80s. There is simple story about a girl that wants his father presence in her wedding day. The problem is she did not know who her father is. She has been raised by her mother alone. According to his mother diary, there are three possibilities represent with three persons that could be her father. The thing is she finally invites all three of them. You just cannot imagine what could be happens next. The Movie starred by a lot of senior artists, such as: Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, etc. Apparently there is another rising star that performs lovely, Amanda Seyfried. She brought her role with some compassion and easy-going character. The ABBA hits, like HONEY, DANCING QUEEN, MAMMA MIA ! sang by all the Actor/Actress itself. The songs on my opinion are successfully refreshed. On top of that, I think musical movie is more acceptable nowadays. It begins to sound familiar because the music is now more based on pop-rock trends. Contrary with musical movie that made from 50s to 60s, which based on classic orchestra. The movie in overall is so fresh and full of joy, but in few scenes shows over-acting. Before I watched thiz movie, I thought it was teen movie, but after I watched it I went to the conclusion the movie is for middle-age viewers or maybe for family.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  24. Jul 30, 2011
    Mix one part Streep, four parts Abba, and two parts fun. Stir vigorously. Baked for 2 hours. Let cool and serve cold. Very cold. Very very cold. How could so many good ingredients combine to produce what is best described as tofu? This movie was like a juggler taking 5 very shiny and mezmerizing balls and tossing them in the air one at a time - never engaging with each other, tryingMix one part Streep, four parts Abba, and two parts fun. Stir vigorously. Baked for 2 hours. Let cool and serve cold. Very cold. Very very cold. How could so many good ingredients combine to produce what is best described as tofu? This movie was like a juggler taking 5 very shiny and mezmerizing balls and tossing them in the air one at a time - never engaging with each other, trying to convince you that some spectacular feat has just occured. Upbeat? Yes. Disjointed? Yes. The most forgettable Meryl Streep character ever? Possibly. Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable movie, I found. I loved the musical, and personally I loved the actors chosen for their specific parts. Under the assumption that Mamma Mia was a sort of comedy as well as a musical, I supposed the hilariously horrendous singing of Pierce Brosnan had to be put in for that reason. I could watch it again. The movie that is. Expand
  26. Jul 29, 2011
    In 2008, the famous broadway musical, â
  27. Oct 22, 2011
    'ABBA' are a great band but I didn't really think that 'Mamma Mia' was very good. Colin Firth unfortunately didn't pull off his role. Julie Walters is one of the best actresses ever but she definitly shouldn't have done this film. Amanda Seyfreid screaming along a pier is just wrong, AND MERYL STREEP IN DUNGAREES!!!! The story is rubbish aswell, but apart from that it was good.
  28. Dec 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you like ABBA then this will be one of your favorites. The musical numbers are fun through. It was hard not to dance or sing along to this(Not that I actually danced or sang along because I'm a guy). This featured a great cast including some great actors like Meryl Streep and Colin Firth. The plot itself was very horrible. It was actually laughable and not in a good way. If this is a comedy then where are the jokes? Either way, it stars Amanda Seyfried playing Sophie. She and her mom live on an island. She has no idea who her farther is so she invites the three men who could be her farther to her wedding. At the end all three of them decide to share her as a daughter. What kind of resolution was that? To add to the stupidity Sophie decides not to get married. Instead Sophie's mom and Sam get married after all the years. The only real reason to watch this is for the musical numbers. Expand
  29. Sep 4, 2014
    Mamma Mia! manages to take the best parts of the hit Broadway musical, the best ABBA songs of all-time and one of the finest ensembles in recent years. Altogether, we have what every musical aspires to be: entertaining. Nevertheless, let's leave the singing to Meryl, Christine and Amanda--clearly the Fathers were chosen on other merits.
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    De un momento a otro sale Mamma mia reviviendo el genero del musical, un genero que no aparecia o vivia hace aƱos y que se remonta en una pelicula, resalto cosas como los grandes actores, sin embargo hace falta un poco mas de cosas
  31. Aug 6, 2013
    Seyfried, Streep, Brosnan, Firth, Walters A Super size Actor in A super size Movie What's wrong about that It's definitely a 10 out of 10 for me Way to Go
  32. Feb 24, 2015
    Ugh-- I hate musical films, and despite "not so bad" reviews, I think this is an obnoxiously flaming catastrophe that should be avoided at all cost.

2/10.
  33. Aug 13, 2014
    The most weaknesses of "Mamma Mia!" the film are actually weaknesses of the original musical. An uninteresting story about how a woman had sex with three men and she didn't know whose daughter the child she gave birth to was. It's all brainless, but perhaps this craziness is the purpose of this musical, and, in any case, musicals are there to entertain. Anyway, it is the first imperfectThe most weaknesses of "Mamma Mia!" the film are actually weaknesses of the original musical. An uninteresting story about how a woman had sex with three men and she didn't know whose daughter the child she gave birth to was. It's all brainless, but perhaps this craziness is the purpose of this musical, and, in any case, musicals are there to entertain. Anyway, it is the first imperfect performance by Meryl Streep I have ever seen, and this is due to some overacted scenes, such as the number before the wedding. Overall, of course, she is outstanding, as is Seyfried in her portrayal of Sophie. Exceptional photography and impressive setting are wasted in a Bollywood-style movie, full of natural colours, largely incongruous disco music and rampant cougars, that oddly feels more like a California themed park than Donna's Greek island. Expand

1. It's a delightful piece of filmmaking with a marvelous cast topped by Meryl Streep in one of her smartest and most entertaining performances ever.
  2. Reviewed by: Jordan Mintzer
    Scribe-creator Catherine Johnson (also in her first screen outing) and theater-opera vet Lloyd can't seem to find the right tone or style for their globally celebrated material.
  3. Seyfried (of Big Love and Mean Girls) is a radiant object and can sing, but I'd like to forget the others--especially Brosnan, whose singing is the best imitation I've heard of a water buffalo.