7.0

1. Feb 24, 2015
    Ugh-- I hate musical films, and despite "not so bad" reviews, I think this is an obnoxiously flaming catastrophe that should be avoided at all cost.

2/10.
  2. Sep 4, 2014
    Mamma Mia! manages to take the best parts of the hit Broadway musical, the best ABBA songs of all-time and one of the finest ensembles in recent years. Altogether, we have what every musical aspires to be: entertaining. Nevertheless, let's leave the singing to Meryl, Christine and Amanda--clearly the Fathers were chosen on other merits.
  3. Aug 13, 2014
    The most weaknesses of "Mamma Mia!" the film are actually weaknesses of the original musical. An uninteresting story about how a woman had sex with three men and she didn't know whose daughter the child she gave birth to was. It's all brainless, but perhaps this craziness is the purpose of this musical, and, in any case, musicals are there to entertain. Anyway, it is the first imperfectThe most weaknesses of "Mamma Mia!" the film are actually weaknesses of the original musical. An uninteresting story about how a woman had sex with three men and she didn't know whose daughter the child she gave birth to was. It's all brainless, but perhaps this craziness is the purpose of this musical, and, in any case, musicals are there to entertain. Anyway, it is the first imperfect performance by Meryl Streep I have ever seen, and this is due to some overacted scenes, such as the number before the wedding. Overall, of course, she is outstanding, as is Seyfried in her portrayal of Sophie. Exceptional photography and impressive setting are wasted in a Bollywood-style movie, full of natural colours, largely incongruous disco music and rampant cougars, that oddly feels more like a California themed park than Donna's Greek island. Expand
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    Seyfried, Streep, Brosnan, Firth, Walters A Super size Actor in A super size Movie What's wrong about that It's definitely a 10 out of 10 for me Way to Go
  5. Jul 10, 2013
    De un momento a otro sale Mamma mia reviviendo el genero del musical, un genero que no aparecia o vivia hace aƱos y que se remonta en una pelicula, resalto cosas como los grandes actores, sin embargo hace falta un poco mas de cosas
  6. Apr 5, 2012
    Fun, it was fun! there is no much more to say. A nice comedy with great, old music! and of course there were Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan! Yeah, as someone else said here, critics should relax I never trust them anyway... So yeah, a movie to enjoy, and sing along...!
  7. Mar 26, 2012
    There were some great actors in this movie, but everything else was the mot bizarre piece of film work I had ever seen. It certainly seemed like everybody in the movie was having fun, but I wanted to find the nearest match so I could set the T.V. on fire. Weird as hell.
  8. Dec 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you like ABBA then this will be one of your favorites. The musical numbers are fun through. It was hard not to dance or sing along to this(Not that I actually danced or sang along because I'm a guy). This featured a great cast including some great actors like Meryl Streep and Colin Firth. The plot itself was very horrible. It was actually laughable and not in a good way. If this is a comedy then where are the jokes? Either way, it stars Amanda Seyfried playing Sophie. She and her mom live on an island. She has no idea who her farther is so she invites the three men who could be her farther to her wedding. At the end all three of them decide to share her as a daughter. What kind of resolution was that? To add to the stupidity Sophie decides not to get married. Instead Sophie's mom and Sam get married after all the years. The only real reason to watch this is for the musical numbers. Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2011
    'ABBA' are a great band but I didn't really think that 'Mamma Mia' was very good. Colin Firth unfortunately didn't pull off his role. Julie Walters is one of the best actresses ever but she definitly shouldn't have done this film. Amanda Seyfreid screaming along a pier is just wrong, AND MERYL STREEP IN DUNGAREES!!!! The story is rubbish aswell, but apart from that it was good.
  10. Sep 26, 2011
    What I sure know is that they have the crappiest script of the year...
  11. Aug 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable movie, I found. I loved the musical, and personally I loved the actors chosen for their specific parts. Under the assumption that Mamma Mia was a sort of comedy as well as a musical, I supposed the hilariously horrendous singing of Pierce Brosnan had to be put in for that reason. I could watch it again. The movie that is. Expand
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    Mix one part Streep, four parts Abba, and two parts fun. Stir vigorously. Baked for 2 hours. Let cool and serve cold. Very cold. Very very cold. How could so many good ingredients combine to produce what is best described as tofu? This movie was like a juggler taking 5 very shiny and mezmerizing balls and tossing them in the air one at a time - never engaging with each other, tryingMix one part Streep, four parts Abba, and two parts fun. Stir vigorously. Baked for 2 hours. Let cool and serve cold. Very cold. Very very cold. How could so many good ingredients combine to produce what is best described as tofu? This movie was like a juggler taking 5 very shiny and mezmerizing balls and tossing them in the air one at a time - never engaging with each other, trying to convince you that some spectacular feat has just occured. Upbeat? Yes. Disjointed? Yes. The most forgettable Meryl Streep character ever? Possibly. Expand
  13. Jul 29, 2011
    In 2008, the famous broadway musical, â
  14. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't. The problem with this movie was that there were too many songs. Sure, there were three ABBA songs I loved listening to while watching, but musicals don't have to have a song every second of the movie. The greatest musicals ever (ranging from The Sound of Music to some Disney movies in the 90s) had songs, but left room for actual dialogue to move the plot forward. That is where Mamma Mia fails at, being one long music video instead. Expand
  15. Jan 11, 2011
    It is another musical movie, the songs are tribute for ABBA, the popular pop band in 70s and 80s. There is simple story about a girl that wants his father presence in her wedding day. The problem is she did not know who her father is. She has been raised by her mother alone. According to his mother diary, there are three possibilities represent with three persons that could be her father.It is another musical movie, the songs are tribute for ABBA, the popular pop band in 70s and 80s. There is simple story about a girl that wants his father presence in her wedding day. The problem is she did not know who her father is. She has been raised by her mother alone. According to his mother diary, there are three possibilities represent with three persons that could be her father. The thing is she finally invites all three of them. You just cannot imagine what could be happens next. The Movie starred by a lot of senior artists, such as: Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, etc. Apparently there is another rising star that performs lovely, Amanda Seyfried. She brought her role with some compassion and easy-going character. The ABBA hits, like HONEY, DANCING QUEEN, MAMMA MIA ! sang by all the Actor/Actress itself. The songs on my opinion are successfully refreshed. On top of that, I think musical movie is more acceptable nowadays. It begins to sound familiar because the music is now more based on pop-rock trends. Contrary with musical movie that made from 50s to 60s, which based on classic orchestra. The movie in overall is so fresh and full of joy, but in few scenes shows over-acting. Before I watched thiz movie, I thought it was teen movie, but after I watched it I went to the conclusion the movie is for middle-age viewers or maybe for family.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  16. Oct 6, 2010
    I don't like Abba's music and I really don't like this film. How cheesy and boring the musical genre has become. How degrading this must of been for the cool and calm 007 Piers Brosnan, give the man a medal for actually singing. Give me any other film (Seriously,anything?) to watch cause this one is shocking.
  17. GavinC
    Aug 7, 2009
    Although 'Mamma Mia' certainly has more believable characters and can make you tap your feet now and then, only SOME of the voices are passable and the amount of time separating each song is ridiculous.
  18. TonyH
    May 8, 2009
    Perhaps my opinion is tainted because I've seen the Broadway version multiple times, but there was little to this movie that kept me interested. I found myself watching it just to see how badly it compared to the stage version. If it weren't for the fact that the movie stays fairly true to the Broadway script, this rating would be even lower.
  19. MirceaC.
    Feb 2, 2009
    It's a movie that FORCES you to be happy.I don't like that.
  20. JaneAusten
    Jan 25, 2009
    I must say I expected more from Meryl Streep. The other actors lived up to no expectations whatsoever. A fun plot, wonderful music, a terrible movie. The live musical was much more amusing, and the singing, dancing, and acting was actually commendable; I very much encourage anyone who is considering seeing the movie to rethink and save up for tickets to see it performed in the way it was I must say I expected more from Meryl Streep. The other actors lived up to no expectations whatsoever. A fun plot, wonderful music, a terrible movie. The live musical was much more amusing, and the singing, dancing, and acting was actually commendable; I very much encourage anyone who is considering seeing the movie to rethink and save up for tickets to see it performed in the way it was originally intended. Expand
  21. R.Lopez
    Jan 25, 2009
    Amazing!! Mamma Mia is the first genuinely funny and most lavishing musical I've seen yet. Mamma Mia stars Amanda Seyfried as Sophie a girl on the verge of getting married in two days, there's just one catch. She wants her father to give her away except she doesn't know who her father is, know it's a musical mystery to which of the three men she invited to the villa is Amazing!! Mamma Mia is the first genuinely funny and most lavishing musical I've seen yet. Mamma Mia stars Amanda Seyfried as Sophie a girl on the verge of getting married in two days, there's just one catch. She wants her father to give her away except she doesn't know who her father is, know it's a musical mystery to which of the three men she invited to the villa is her father, could it be Sam Carmichael the architect, Bill the free spirit, or Harry the quiet business man. Which one could it be? That's an answer for you to find out in this amazingly beautiful musical that boast some of the best ABBA song around and some other great music too. Mamma Mai is a treat for the whole family, it's one of those movies you can enjoy watching again and again.I very highly recommended this great film. Expand
  22. R.Lopez
    Jan 23, 2009
  23. AndreR.
    Jan 18, 2009
    I enjoyed the music, but the movie itself was not that great. It seemed a bit silly. But, I supposed that the script had to be adapted to fit the music.
  24. JosephP.
    Jan 14, 2009
    So bad that is leaves painful after-effect. From top to bottom, a very unpleasant experience.
  25. TechaiR.
    Jan 9, 2009
    Turned it off half way. The acting is bad; the singing is horrible (really a slam against ABBA); and the choreography is infantile. The setting in Greece is beautiful. A ridiculous attempt at entertainment.
  26. Lily
    Jan 9, 2009
    I agree with the user who labeled this as a camp classic. Not critic material maybe but a wonderful antidepressant on film.
  27. TrentD.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Come on critics. Relax. What wonderful fun and what a way to return to memories of times past. Is this Oscar? No but we will watch it over and over to enjoy and laugh and sing.
  28. grego
    Dec 25, 2008
    One of the worst films I've seen in 40 yrs.Singing is terrible.I'm tired of Hollywood inserting homosexuality into movies that do not need to have any in it!!
  29. ElliottW
    Dec 18, 2008
    I'm going to give it a five. I personally didnt like it very much, but my mother did, so I suppose this film is only good for the girls.
  30. LeeW
    Dec 16, 2008
    I've always been a big fan of musicals, and I have to say that this was one of the worst musicals I have ever seen. Go back and look at the dancing, and most of the singing, and I think you'll see how laughable this is next to films like "Moulin Rouge" or "Singing in The Rain." The story was fair, but not worth the $20 bucks.
  31. JosephF.
    Dec 13, 2008
    The best band of all time.
  32. JayH.
    Dec 12, 2008
    A very fun and entertaining movie, the cast is terrific and Meryl Streep is marvelous as always. Great music, fine cinematography. Very well written.
  33. Harry
    Dec 4, 2008
    This movie was a serious dissapointment. The 2 old bats next to Meryl Streep were hidiously horrible.
  34. DaveK
    Sep 30, 2008
    Great fun! The critics really missed the mark on this one - it's gonna be a camp classic.
  35. LindaG.
    Sep 17, 2008
    I have seen it three times in the theatre, the last twice were sing-long. What a blast -- it makes you want to sing and dance!
  36. NoreenM.
    Sep 12, 2008
    I loved this movie. Although the singing wasn't perfect it rather added to the whole experience.
  37. LaverneS.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Best, happiest movie I've ever seen!! Fantastic music, beautiful scenery, laughs - you'll leave singing!!
  38. JeanD.
    Sep 9, 2008
    I loved this movie so much I had to see it twice (and I'm the type that doesn't have time for movies). At the risk of sounding sexist, I'll say that this is a great movie for women. I doubt know if many men will love it, but every woman should see it with a girlfriend or a daughter, or a mother. It is so joyful, so funny and so TRUE to life in a hysterical cheesy I loved this movie so much I had to see it twice (and I'm the type that doesn't have time for movies). At the risk of sounding sexist, I'll say that this is a great movie for women. I doubt know if many men will love it, but every woman should see it with a girlfriend or a daughter, or a mother. It is so joyful, so funny and so TRUE to life in a hysterical cheesy 'Greek" kind of way. It captures the spirit of mothers and friends and love. Expand
  39. Ellie
    Sep 2, 2008
    Fabulous film, with a real sense of joy and happiness. Seen it 3 times and can't wait to go again. As for Pierce Brosnan, well he can sing to me ANY day. He is brilliant, mature, charming, eminently handsome and just right for the part. They didn't need a professional singer, just someone who was believable. Cheer up you poor sad people who hated it. Go get a life! What a change Fabulous film, with a real sense of joy and happiness. Seen it 3 times and can't wait to go again. As for Pierce Brosnan, well he can sing to me ANY day. He is brilliant, mature, charming, eminently handsome and just right for the part. They didn't need a professional singer, just someone who was believable. Cheer up you poor sad people who hated it. Go get a life! What a change to see a film that is not depressing, full of gratuitous sex, violence, nudity and swearing. Lets have more films like this. Expand
  40. JacobF
    Aug 29, 2008
    Come on, it is ridiculous that people can criticize this film, yes the plot could be better but it was originally and still is a play on broad way. This film is a feel-good you go and see it and you cannot help but smile, even if you hate abba you cant help smiling at the songs, even if they are not sung very well, it still will make you smile. this film was not intended to win best film Come on, it is ridiculous that people can criticize this film, yes the plot could be better but it was originally and still is a play on broad way. This film is a feel-good you go and see it and you cannot help but smile, even if you hate abba you cant help smiling at the songs, even if they are not sung very well, it still will make you smile. this film was not intended to win best film at the Oscars it was intended to be a fun film, fun to make and fun to watch, and that was what is was. a truly enjoyable film. Expand
  41. PatG.
    Aug 28, 2008
    Yah, it's campy, but it is also light and airy and fun. If you need some uplifting escape, this will fill the bill. Meryl is always watchable, and Amanda Seyfried's amazing beauty is too.
  42. Natalie
    Aug 25, 2008
    I thought the plot sucked, but the songs were wonderful. And Streep was very committed to the movie, so I gave her some bonus points and the Dancing Queen part was great. The plot just seemed very neglected and the writer should be shook. And maybe given a back handed slap.
  43. TomB.
    Aug 24, 2008
    One of the best movies we've seen in a while. Great music, top acting , excellent characterizations, good comedy, good dancing. If you want to be entertained, this is where you should go.
  44. TriciaR.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Loved this movie!!! Full of zest and joie de vivre. Every woman I know who saw it bursts out in smiles and enthusiasm for the uplift and joy of it.
  45. SharronC.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I loved the movie..it's so uplifting, spirited, "get up and dance feeling" and sing to the top of your lungs...one must keep in mind, it is a broadway musical so it is a different tone than just a regular movie. I give it a 10 plus.
  46. randyw.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Amazing! Best movie I've seen in years! You'll love it! Acting and singing are outstanding!
  47. BAda
    Aug 15, 2008
    Great story. great music. great acting. Amazing movie.
  48. EdnaE.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Best movie in a long time real fun first time in years the audience clapped after the show.
  49. starpower
    Aug 13, 2008
    This is so bad, i think the plot gave me cancer, and even pubic lice. the acting was terrible, and my date complained about the music, and wanted to buy a abba CD to destroy after watching this S.O.B movie.
  50. DanE.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Great music, bad plot, bad plot and a bad plot.
  51. MarkB.
    Aug 8, 2008
    What do ABBA's song of the same name, Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", The Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby", Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and Frank Sinatra's "My Way" have in common? All of the above are famous enough that it would be forgivable to assume that they were all Number One hits, but in fact none of the above records even made What do ABBA's song of the same name, Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", The Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby", Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and Frank Sinatra's "My Way" have in common? All of the above are famous enough that it would be forgivable to assume that they were all Number One hits, but in fact none of the above records even made Billboard's Top 20 when released! (In fact, B. J. Thomas's now-obscure cover version of "Don't Worry Baby" actually charted higher than the original!) in ABBA's case, "Mamma Mia" became the best known #32 peaker of all time largely because it became the title song of the phenomenally popular stage musical based on the international 1970s and 80s pop group's catalog. (A musical that's set, by the way, on a Greek isle, with the title tune an Italian phrase written and sung by a Swedish act. Go figure.) The movie version (and, by association, the play) are at something of a disadvantage because by nature they lack a major component that makes most of ABBA's work so catchy, distinctive and endearing--those accents on the records are so dadgum cute. But there are plenty of compensations, chiefly Meryl Streep's joyous, uninhibited acting and singing (which should once and for all put to rest the still all-too-common misconception that Streep's performances are all technique and no soul); as the middle-aged mother of the bride whose three former lovers (and her daughter's potential fathers) show up as unexpected wedding guests, Streep bravely and proudly shows her age with no heavy makeup, surgery or Vaseline on the camera, and her rendition of "The Winner Takes It All" (the one ABBA tune that takes itself way too seriously,and is therefore their worst hit) turns it into a showstopper. She gets delightful support from Stellan Skarsgaard, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski (this generation's Eve Arden) and the green-eyed heartstealer Amanda Seyfried as the bride-to-be. As for Pierce Brosnan, his attempts to belt it out are so endearingly game that let's just say that as singing Bonds go, Sean Connery in Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People had far more golden pipes and leave it at that. Even the occasional clunkiness that almost inevitably afflicts nearly all outdoor-set movie musicals that aren't Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or The Sound of Music (e.g. Doctor Doolittle, Man of La Mancha, Paint Your Wagon, etc.) adds to this movie's charm. It's hard not to admire Mamma Mia's nerve in wedging two dozen ABBA songs into the plot, and with less predictability than you'd expect; if you think you know what context "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" will fit in, you're probably only sort of half right. This is the ONE summer 2008 blockbuster besides Sex and the City that everyone automatically knows in advance whether they'll stand in line for or run far and fast from, but where you stand will depend on your affection for hook-promiscuous 1970s schlock-pop (I love most of that stuff). So here's the litmus test: if you hated Ron Perlman's and Doug Jones's singalong rendition of Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" in Hellboy II: The Golden Army, then this movie will be for you the equivalent of two hours of being waterboarded, but if you ate it up, then take a chance, take a chance, take a chance-chance-chance on this! Expand
  52. lynn
    Aug 8, 2008
    Fun, fun, fun! Can't get Dancing Queen out of my head. Based on the ratings posted here guess you either love it or hate it.
  53. TimB.
    Aug 8, 2008
    If you like ABBA's music, you'll like the movie.
  54. AaronL.
    Aug 7, 2008
    This movie is as good as this type of movie gets. it is fun, playful, upbeat, with beautiful scenes of Greece. It is great to see these actors singing and dancing, clearly having fun making the film. this is not a movie about plot, but about singing, dancing and great visuals. Shame on the critics for not rating this movie for what it is, a musical, and therefore rating it so low. I loved it.
  55. LoriC.
    Aug 7, 2008
    Mamma MIa! was great fun, I could have turned right around and bought another ticket immediately. Brosnan has a lovely light tenor, and sings in tune and at tempo, so I've no idea why some folks are complaining about his voice. Want a laugh? Check out Sean Connery singing at the end of Disney's _Darby O'Gill and the Little People_.
  56. DarleneH.
    Aug 4, 2008
    A great movie, uplifting and fun.
  57. MartyA.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I loved everything about this movie, well there is one actor that can not sing. BUT you must see this movie.
  58. SharonF.
    Aug 3, 2008
    The people who don't like this movie remind me of artists who like to tell everyone they don't have a TV. I love ABBA, I loved the movie, I laughed through the whole thing ( and loved Tanya's song). C'mon people, put down War & Peace and lighten up!
  59. AriB.
    Aug 3, 2008
    It's fun and gay. What can I say? I love it. Colin Firth at 47 turning 48 soon was absolutely adorable. It's Meryl. It's Greece. It's Abba!
  60. SeanK.
    Aug 3, 2008
    I had to be talked into going by my wife. Absolutely love the music and the story!
  61. KassidyA.
    Aug 3, 2008
    Save yourself 15 bucks. The movie is horribly cheesy, and I wish I would've seen the Dark Knight. Don't make my mistake.
  62. LenR.
    Aug 3, 2008
    Oh come on people, its just pure fun, don't take it so serious! Meryl is great as always and though the songs don't always shift comfortably to the scenes, thats part of the fun! LONG LIVE ABBA!
  63. JaneA.
    Aug 2, 2008
    I thought Meryl Streep's singing was great and I was pleasantly suprised. Pierce Brosnan, however, was a little difficilt to listen to. At least he tried. I had never seen the stage show, but the movie was great fun!
  64. M.T.
    Aug 2, 2008
    If you want to come out feeling better than when you went in, go see this!!! Truly uplifting!!!
  65. BelindaG.
    Aug 2, 2008
    An amazing film, full of life and spirit. Ideal for anyone.
  66. FranC.
    Jul 31, 2008
    Come on you negative critics! You obviously never enjoyed just plain FUN without analyzing it. I give a 10 to the pros for doing it They have guts. It was a delightful mix of music and mischief.
  67. NateB
    Jul 31, 2008
    Blatantly syrupy and predictable. So much so that it was great fun. You'll hum Abba tunes for a week or two after.
  68. Nancyfarmer
    Jul 31, 2008
    I like Abba, Meryl Streep, and Pierce Brosnan, but I HATED this movie! Horrible! I have walked out of exactly two movies during my lifetime (and I'm nearly 50 and I go to he movies at least once a week). I left during the Streep/Brosnan number on the mountain trail before the wedding. Horrible! Why did Brosnan do it? I'm really grieving because the crush I had on him came to a I like Abba, Meryl Streep, and Pierce Brosnan, but I HATED this movie! Horrible! I have walked out of exactly two movies during my lifetime (and I'm nearly 50 and I go to he movies at least once a week). I left during the Streep/Brosnan number on the mountain trail before the wedding. Horrible! Why did Brosnan do it? I'm really grieving because the crush I had on him came to a screeching (literally!) halt. Such a waste of time, money and talent. Expand
  69. JOJO
    Jul 30, 2008
    DON"T listen to the critics and just GO! Take the whole family. Critics hate it, the way they hated Titanic, My Fat Greek Wedding, and The Sixth Sense. But REAL people who don't get paid to go to the movies will absolutely love this show. I absolutely LOVED it. I could not recommend it enough. There is something for everybody in this film. And for the skeptics, I am a 37-year-old DON"T listen to the critics and just GO! Take the whole family. Critics hate it, the way they hated Titanic, My Fat Greek Wedding, and The Sixth Sense. But REAL people who don't get paid to go to the movies will absolutely love this show. I absolutely LOVED it. I could not recommend it enough. There is something for everybody in this film. And for the skeptics, I am a 37-year-old divorced man with a 13-year-old daughter. I took her to see this last weekend, and YES, she loved it too. She wants me to take her again, and for once I won't mind at all. The last time that happened was after Iron Man opened. Go figure! Expand
  70. NancyW.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Silly, corny, touching, charming, not a great epic movie, but it was exactly what I needed. I thoroughly enjoyed the actors, the music and the story. I didn't have to think too hard, just had to sit and be entertained which I was!!
  71. LauraJaneB.
    Jul 29, 2008
    I took it at face value - a musical put into moving images. I decided I would not judge it but just enjoy it by pretending I was at the theatre - well, I went into the cinema depressed and came out beaming and happy. Even my husband warmed up to it after stating that it was a chick flick at first, we both laughed a lot. Julie Walters was fantastic and Meryl Streep lit up the screen, I took it at face value - a musical put into moving images. I decided I would not judge it but just enjoy it by pretending I was at the theatre - well, I went into the cinema depressed and came out beaming and happy. Even my husband warmed up to it after stating that it was a chick flick at first, we both laughed a lot. Julie Walters was fantastic and Meryl Streep lit up the screen, making me cry when she sang 'Slipping' (Because I live a whole continent away from my mum) and I thought it was her masterpiece performance when she sang 'The winner takes it all'. The film made a refreshing change from the usual evil produced by Hollywood, and should award an oscar to Meryl Streep for her ability to make an audience laugh and cry over Dark Knight which is only curious to see how Heath Ledger portrayed the Joker in Dark Knight - a film which can only depress and give you nothing. Not only is it easier to act out the part of evil than it is to act emotions of the heart - It's also easier to reward the portrayal of evil - than to reward those who portray good and real emotions. What's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right. We have become a very desensitized people by becoming hungry for more action and filth over good clean fun - that makes you smile. Expand
  72. MarkS.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Fizzy, exuberant, exhilarating. Beautiful characters, WONDERFUL music. I was singing the rest of the day.
  73. SuzyA
    Jul 29, 2008
    Great movie, but you gotta be an ABBA fan. So not everyone is a trained musician...that just made it more endearing. LOVED Julie Walters. The whole experience just made me feel happy, and who can't use a little lift now and then?
  74. BillC
    Jul 29, 2008
    Just so-so. Not as good as Chicago or Rent. The story has an ackward flow, and the music and dance seemed to add little. Maybe 2 good music numbers , the others felt like filler to me. Meryl Streep is fearless and I give her credit for another fine job.
  75. MonaA.
    Jul 28, 2008
    If you're really into musicals, you'll love this movie. I'm not that big of a fan of musicals but I thought this was pretty decent. After watching the gory Sweeney Todd just a few days ago, this movie lifted my spirits and brightened my day.
  76. DavidL
    Jul 28, 2008
    Deliciously entertaining 2 hours! Laugh out loud funny and who can forget ABBA's great music! 10/10!
  77. DottieV
    Jul 28, 2008
    I am an ABBA fan, also only 17, but that didn't make a difference o fmy age; Mama Mia was an entertaining and so amusing show. The audience couldn't get enough of it, they wanted more. =) It was great!
  78. Marie
    Jul 28, 2008
    Loved the movie, it was fun and an escapist two hours. Noticed that people were laughing, clapping and singing along. One of those times that I have to say the critics are way too full of themselves. Also I suspect that that the movie is victim to harsh reviews because it is essentially "Chick flix" material. Amazing how the worst super hero crap gets good reviews but something classed as Loved the movie, it was fun and an escapist two hours. Noticed that people were laughing, clapping and singing along. One of those times that I have to say the critics are way too full of themselves. Also I suspect that that the movie is victim to harsh reviews because it is essentially "Chick flix" material. Amazing how the worst super hero crap gets good reviews but something classed as Chick gets consistently panned. Expand
  79. CarolT.
    Jul 28, 2008
    Thoroughly enjoying. Superb cast and of course the music.
  80. MaryG.
    Jul 28, 2008
    Bad singing, even worse acting. Totally unbelieveable characters. Meryl Streep to old to play an aging hippie with a 20 year old daughter. Only good thing about the movie was the beautiful setting.
  81. StevenH.
    Jul 28, 2008
    The Broadway musical was much better -- very clever & creative story. The "Parent" group was too old -- should have been folks in their 40's not pushing 60 like Streep, Brosnan & crew. Otherwise, pretty fun & entertaining.
  82. BuzzH.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Funny feel good moviet hat will have legs. the pros haVE Panned the movie but viewers seem to luv it a suprise audience is girls younger girls. if u have been to europe will probably like movie.
  83. jet.
    Jul 27, 2008
    This is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen in my life by a mile. Where to begin. Why does Meryl Streep think she can sing and why would anybody let her? It is actually an insult to the music of ABBA to hear Meryl sing their songs. Pierce Brosnan is ten times worse. Christine Baranski, I love her I really do, but how long can she play the same high-society drunk? Oh look, here This is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen in my life by a mile. Where to begin. Why does Meryl Streep think she can sing and why would anybody let her? It is actually an insult to the music of ABBA to hear Meryl sing their songs. Pierce Brosnan is ten times worse. Christine Baranski, I love her I really do, but how long can she play the same high-society drunk? Oh look, here she's sipping hilariously from an overflowing tropically ornamented drink? Seriously, if you think that's funny, you need to get out more. In fact, shockingly, for such a song-heavy movie, you think they'd have cast, oh I don't know, singers maybe? My biggest pet peeve is the overly literal pantomiming of lyrics when singing or lip synching. For example, the American Idol kids drive me up a wall when they sing a song with the word "around" in it and they make a twirly motion in the air with a hand to suggest...you guessed it..."around". Such theatrics are redundant and insulting to the intelligence of both the lyricist and the audience. A real singer delivers a lyric vocally, not by some hackneyed game of charades. This was Mamma Mia in a nutshell: a series of casual, unpolished performances charitably characterized as karaoke, painfully re-engineered to give the semblance of tunefulness and accompanied by unnecessary hand motions which echoed the lyrics. During Dancing Queen, when they sang the lyric that goes "see that girl, watch that scene", Julie Walters actually made a circular motion with her left hand while holding her right hand in front of her face in imitation of an old-fashioned movie camera like you might do when you're playing charades. She sings "watch that scene" while pretend-cranking a camera with her hands. How juvenile. Maybe if a shred of effort had been put into developing characters beyond a cookie-cutter -- I use this adjective charitably -- plot device the movie may have had a shot at rising above the level of a 5th grade musical twice rehearsed. How long did it take for the director to come up with the idea of pretend-cranking a movie camera while flailing in a jumpsuit? About one second? Is this what ABBA is reduced to, a series of comic gestures in ironic costuming and eyeshadow? You can almost imagine the director working: "OK, here the lyric says 'I hear' so Christine, I want you to cup your hand around your ear and pretend like you're hearing a sound. OK Meryl, I know this song has nothing whatsoever to do with this contrived plot line and, frankly, I'm not even sure what your motivation is because your character is hopelessly flat and unbelievable, so much so in fact that I keep thinking to myself, 'Hey that's Meryl Streep over there', anyhow, Meryl just have your eyes brim over with tears, then midway through the song fight them back defiantly and then end with a sense of triumph over adversity. People will think you're acting and that way, we can shoehorn this song into this cockamamie plot. OK, Julie, your turn. Just cup your breasts raunchily every thirty seconds and floss random pieces of fabric and wayward costuming betwixt your legs...that's always good for a laugh. Oh, and Julie, don't forget to fall all the time. Falls are funny, right? " Everyone is always falling in the movie. During one particularly nauseating scene, Christine Baranski pounces cougar-like onto a beach hottie causing him to fall at least four times in the same musical number. Julie Walters slides down a roof and hangs on comically to a rickety eave. I am not making this up. Meryl falls through a roof, landing unconvincingly and contrivedly with her legs over her head in a yoga position: Who lands like that? You got the sense that the movie began with a limited supply of gimmicky pratfalls, quickly exhausted them and then repeated them mercilessly throughout. Why was this movie made? Certainly not out of reverence for ABBA (except in that backhanded ironic oh-isn't-it-crazy-cool-to-love-ABBA way). ABBA was better than that. Everybody associated with this movie should be banned from film-making forever. Expand
  84. RonC.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Very Enjoyable Lots of energy Meryl Streep ,was great Bronson xouold not sing but othjers great!
  85. roystong.
    Jul 27, 2008
    It is hard for a stage musical to transfer to the screen. The result can be 'stagey' and disapointing. But this version of Mamm Mia succeeds becasue of its setting ad the sheer energy and fun displyed by the characters. I am astounded by those critics who were unhappy. Stop being pretentious and just enjoy the movie. And please , let's recognise Meryl Streep again at the Oscars.
  86. MKP
    Jul 27, 2008
    If you love Abba's music, this movie is for you! I loved it so much that my daughter had to hold me back from dancing in the seats!
  87. Catherine
    Jul 26, 2008
    Oh my God. Who is Ray Bennett, and how did he get a job reviewing movies? I'm so embarrassed for him, almost as embarrassed as I was watching Mamma Mia. I only give this a 2 (rather than a 1) because I was moved by the mother/daughter song. The rest of it was excruciating.
  88. carolb.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Loved the upbeat music and Meryl Streep stole the show but the supporting cast also did a wonderful job. The scenery made you want to be there. When the movie ended people clapped and there was dancing in the aisles.
  89. SusanC.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Delightful. I wanted to stay in the theatre and sit through the next showing.
  90. KerryA
    Jul 23, 2008
    Superb musical entertainment, brilliantly conceived that left everyone dancing in the aisles. Now that is what I call a 10!
  91. ronnier
    Jul 23, 2008
    Was ok i love abba and that is what save thi s movie otherwise i thin kit was lacking overall.
  92. JoyceM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    I loved it!! It was fun, entertaining, touching and a wonderful way to spend the afternoon with my daughter!
  93. JohnC.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Mamma Mia! is definitely a summertime fun movie. It wasn't a great story, the camera flailed about wildly, the singing was okay in spots and had Meryl not joined this cast, this would have been a really terrible experience. But thankfully she was on screen, she was great, and she held the rest of it together. But, like I said, above all it is a campy, silly, fun summertime movie. Mamma Mia! is definitely a summertime fun movie. It wasn't a great story, the camera flailed about wildly, the singing was okay in spots and had Meryl not joined this cast, this would have been a really terrible experience. But thankfully she was on screen, she was great, and she held the rest of it together. But, like I said, above all it is a campy, silly, fun summertime movie. Leave it to ABBA to let us all forget our troubles and have a good time. Expand
  94. JesterM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    It's become a bit of a cliche these days to underestimate the impact of a good set of vocal chords. but I think that we can safely assume that Mr. P. Brosnan is not going to cry himself to sleep at night if we point out that his lungs give off about as much power as my powerpuff girls nightlight. I mean really people, we need to get over our idolization of 'A' list actors, It's become a bit of a cliche these days to underestimate the impact of a good set of vocal chords. but I think that we can safely assume that Mr. P. Brosnan is not going to cry himself to sleep at night if we point out that his lungs give off about as much power as my powerpuff girls nightlight. I mean really people, we need to get over our idolization of 'A' list actors, and actually cast some true to life broadway talent in these roles that involve singing, lest we all leave the theaters futily trying to stem the bleeding coming from our ears. Other than that the movie was somewhat entertaining. Expand
  95. davids.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Not perfect but who cares, light lots fun.
  96. MarkP.
    Jul 22, 2008
    Fantastic fun, so involving and colourful. I loved the fact that the voices (except for the bride) are not perfect (her voice is exquisite). 007 tries so hard to sing well and it really suits the way this movie identifies so well the comedy and awkwardness of being middle aged. I never really liked ABBA but this is a blast.
  97. SusanL.
    Jul 21, 2008
    This is one of those "guys don't get it" kind of movies. Because so many of our movie reviewers are guys, this is a problem. They seem to complain about song and dance numbers. This is a MUSICAL, guys, not Thomas Hardy. Last year, those (mostly) male critics gushed over dark movies about bloody conflicts that nobody wanted to see. Or, you get Momma Mia, a movie that has no blood, no This is one of those "guys don't get it" kind of movies. Because so many of our movie reviewers are guys, this is a problem. They seem to complain about song and dance numbers. This is a MUSICAL, guys, not Thomas Hardy. Last year, those (mostly) male critics gushed over dark movies about bloody conflicts that nobody wanted to see. Or, you get Momma Mia, a movie that has no blood, no guns and no Iraq. Thank God. If you like movies that are pure escapist froth, this is a good one. Pierce can't sing; who cares. Expand
  98. GlenisJ.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Streep is the difference. Is anything beyond the talents of this brilliant actress?
  99. TomM.
    Jul 21, 2008
    You have to like ABBA. You have to accept that the source material has its flaws. You have to accept the fact that the film has actors who can sing (save for Mr. Brosnan) as opposed to singers who may be able to act. The film embraces the flaws and does not run away from them. This movie is a great deal of fun and, surprisingly, a lot more dramatic than I remember the stage musical. You have to like ABBA. You have to accept that the source material has its flaws. You have to accept the fact that the film has actors who can sing (save for Mr. Brosnan) as opposed to singers who may be able to act. The film embraces the flaws and does not run away from them. This movie is a great deal of fun and, surprisingly, a lot more dramatic than I remember the stage musical. Walters is a hoot. If you day is dreary and gray, this one will certainly brighten it up. Expand
  100. SeanL.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Total brainless fun time! You leave the theater upbeat! Lip sync??? But they lip synced to their own voices. All musicals are lip synced because of sound recoring issues.

1. It's a delightful piece of filmmaking with a marvelous cast topped by Meryl Streep in one of her smartest and most entertaining performances ever.
  2. Reviewed by: Jordan Mintzer
    Scribe-creator Catherine Johnson (also in her first screen outing) and theater-opera vet Lloyd can't seem to find the right tone or style for their globally celebrated material.
  3. Seyfried (of Big Love and Mean Girls) is a radiant object and can sing, but I'd like to forget the others--especially Brosnan, whose singing is the best imitation I've heard of a water buffalo.