7.7

1. Dec 16, 2013
    not the superman i know.good FX,bad movie.This was like watching Smallville but worse.
    Snyder next time read the comic book.This is a good example on how to ruin a comic book character.
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    Kevin Costner jumps in a tornado to show superman how it works. He dies. I've laughed for the rest of the film. Lois imprisoned in the room with every single button to escape from the ship, people trapped in a cock shaped ship that want revenge.
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from the night she meets him, and she knows him as Clark soon after. Also, the two of them had little dialogue during the movie, so it was weird when they got together at the end. I kept thinking "but you don't even really know her..." and we really didn't as the audience either. We got the Kal-El/Clark Kent backstory, but other than that, there was little character development. They didn't feel like real people we cared about. This movie focused a lot on action and didn't have time for dialogue or characters...and some people like the action scenes, but I personally am not into that. I care more about the characters and that they have believability as real people. One of the critiques I hear a lot from people comparing super heroes is that they don't like superman because he's too perfect and inhuman. This movie has more of a gritty, dark Clark Kent, so I guess he's more human in a way, but he seemed like a cold, brooding jerk, and not like someone I wanted to know. I would prefer to see the Superman franchise go for more of a likable, relatable Clark Kent. Expand
  4. Jul 2, 2013
    Poor movie… there was not a single moment that made me enjoy or care about anything that happened on the screen. it was long, over the top, loud, melodramatic, and as deep as a "steel" can of tuna fish. No acting and no characters… a dark and gloomy transformers… If you love the DC universe… then you owe it to the wonderful universe the comics have create to hate this borefest…. Zack Snyder… seriously guy… you suck!!! Expand
  5. Jun 26, 2013
    Reasonable first act, a good second act and then everything is ruined by 40 mins of CGI brawling and utterly stupid writing. It's almost like several different films were written then smashed clumsily together.
  6. Aug 18, 2013
    I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that. However what I don't like about these average action movies is that they are bad. They have a weak plot, weak character development and are so full of nonsense. Those movies are just money machines. They have good SFX which can be showcased in the trailer to attract the audience but always fail to deliver. No wonder nearly half of the budget goes into marketing. Producers don't want to invest in an original or creative approach, that's too risky and why should they? People still paid to go, so did I. When you look at these years' big budget movies you'll see that they are either sequels, prequels, spin-offs, adaptations, remakes....etc. No original story. Man of Steel fits perfectly this section. Why bother making a good movie if it will sell anyway? This seems to be Hollywood's guideline nowadays. In conclusion, nearly no character development, boring dialogues, weak reused plot with many inconsistencies and holes, good to average imagery and average action. 4 out of 10. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2013
    This was a terrible film. A terribly-told story that was poorly paced and needlessly convoluted. Cavill as Superman is well cast and the photography is visually pleasing. Other than that, this was a total miss.
  8. Jul 13, 2013
    I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'm not too surprised after seeing what Snyder did with, or is that to Watchmen. Lately the best examples of superhero movies have been X-men and The Avengers. What a pity Man of Steel doesn't deliver on that kind of fun. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    I would have walked out on this dog after 15 minutes if I hadn't invested a kingly sum in tickets, popcorn, candy and pop. I hated everything about this film. 1. Crappy handheld jerky camera work throughout the whole film. 2. Natural color washed out with a blue tone. 3. Ridiculous, never-ending jumbled flashbacks. And believe it or not, this poor excuse for a director was hired to do a sequel. No thanks- I'll be popping corn at home watching a Marvel movie instead. Expand
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    A lifeless tiresome drag of one huge explosion followed by another. The directing, writing, and editing are all pretty bad. The characters don't feel real and identifiable. Top it all off was the fact that there was no comedy relief from this bore.
  11. Dec 16, 2013
    No redeeming value. Big budget, dumb plot, just action sequence after action sequence. When two invincible people fight, how do you decide what a "deadly" move is? I just don't get it.
  12. Dec 20, 2013
    Holy crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat and soulless. His actors are always chewing scenery and completely over the top. The action is ridiculous and akin to watching someone play their XBox for 2 hours. Thank god there was about 11 minutes of credits. I kept checking to see how much longer the pain would last. This is one giant stinking excrement of a movie and Warner Brothers is letting him make another one? I'm going to go watch Richard Donner's 1978 classic. You know, the one with heart, passion, great characters that you actually care about and a story that leaves you with a smile, not headed to the toilet. How far we have slipped as an audience to accept this crap. Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2013
    In a word: Absurd. Is extremely predictable and full of absurd situations also, actors performances are not very good. I do not understand why the developers created it this film this way...

Perhaps it was only designed for children.
  14. Oct 21, 2013
    In one super man movie he turns back time, sadly for the franchise this cant be done. It has been cursed to walk the earth as a dry cliche american pie Jesus swagger piece of junk. Avoids it or better yet just skip around and save your self 2 hours.
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good superhero movie...

But a terrible Superman movie.
    Look up on Google "Truth Justice" or "Truth Justice and the American Way", and you will see Superman connected to the 3rd auto finish. Both the top two sites are also linked with Superman.
    Early on in the movie you see "Superman" lie, steal, and you see Superman's Earth dad ,Jonathan Kent( Kevin Costner), infer that saving a school bus of kids wasn't a good choice. Those are some great morals this "new superman" has been brought up on.
    Throughout the 45-minute-bashfest-ending it seemed like this new superman had almost no regard for where fights would happen. One scene Zod and cohorts come to confront Mrs. Kent and what does superman do? Drive one away while leaving the other two to do whatever they wished with his Earth mother.
    As if all this isn't bad enough. No matter superman's intentions, the death toll has been estimated by a disaster expert as being between 139,000 and 389,000 and over a million injured. Though he may have fought to protect them, how can they not lay some of the blame upon him? A dubious start to a 'hero' and not Superman.
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    Unfortunately, this Superman reboot was an enormous disappointment. I had relatively high hopes from Zack Snyder, director of the highly underrated Watchmen, which I enjoyed immensely. However, as the movie demonstrated, the premise of portraying Superman in a serious and dramatic tone turned out to be a completely ludicrous idea given the inherent camp of the source material. The Man of Steel has always been the most comically overpowered and cheesy superhero. It simply doesn't make sense to place such a dramatic tone on this kind of story. It might have worked had it been handled by a more capable screenwriter, since the wooden nature of the dialogue and terrible characterization of everyone including Superman/Clark Kent himself. Not to mention a very thin plot and overindulgent violence and destruction that bored the audience to death by taking up the final forty five minutes of the film only to lead to an unsatisfying and anticlimactic final act. This colossal movie that was a colossal bummer. Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think it's the worst Superman movie so far, but it certainly was the most disapointing. Maybe a real hardcore comic book nerd might rejoice in the details (origins and technical jargon) but I thought it went WAY overboard. Chris Nolan is a genius. If anyone could've breathed life back into this tired franchise, it would be him. He failed (at least in my opinion and by the low critic ratings.) So, it begs the question--Is this comic book character on his way out? My only saving hope is the fact that The Dark Knight was far and away a much better movie than Batman begins. However, Batman begins was a really good movie. The Man of Steel was not! I'm rooting for the next one to be good. Perhaps, they should stop promoting and teasing these flicks a year prior to releasing them. It would not have made this a better movie, but at the very least we might not feel such a strong sense of deceipt. I know the promos for The Dark knight began long before it's premeire date, but I was unaware of the movie until I saw the trailer when I went to see the first installment of Ironman. When I went back to the theatre about a month later, I had fairly modest expectations and was Blown Away by the greatest comic book movie ever. Of course you can't replicate the success of the Dark Knight just by limiting the exposure, but I think some lower expectations would work wonders! There were many things wrong with the Man of Steel. It was a bit scattershot, trying to tell an origins story and everything else all at once. For what it's worth, I found the psychogy of the young Clark Kent to be somewhat fascinating at times, and would have liked to have seen more of that. I don't like the fact that perhaps the most physically imposing villian of the franchise was trotted out in the first film (and there will BE another film!) Lex Luther is a criminal mastermind, but not super human. Come to think of it that may be the achilles heal of all superman movies. This character only has one weakness and it SHOULD be more difficult to come by. He could easily defeat any other super hero on the planet. So throwing out his only Kryptonian enemy in the first film may have been premature. I can't help but think their may have been a better way to execute it, but it's useless now since the fight is over and (SPOILER ALERT!!!)...Superman won! As I said before Chris Nolan is a genius. Despite this flop, there's still no one I'd rather see directing these movies. I will be rooting for him to have lightning struck twice in his 2nd effort. Well, That is if he is in fact the one directing it! Expand
  18. Aug 26, 2013
    Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
  19. Dec 29, 2013
    Plot holes everywhere really story with some absolutely unbelievably good action sequences. Lois Lane should of been cut from the movie altogether her unlikely appearance at top secret military outposts, poorly written script and general blandness make her a totally forgettable character. You need to decide on the man your going to be??? you're going to be the sort of man that could save you earth father and doesn't? a man that stands their and does nothing and watches him die??? really???? WTF????? who writes this sh*t.

Russell Crow as Jor-El however was epic
  20. Jun 30, 2013
    The tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for these problems, the film would amount to nothing more than a generic summer blockbuster. It's worse.
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *sigh* The Superman movie about how to not be superman... great...
    Lets get down to it right now: I hate superman as a character and no im not a stupid Batman fanboy yelling and cursing without thinking, i know what SUperman represents and i repect that (even like that) but Superman is just not my thing.

Why i bring this up you may ask? well so you can think about why a Superman hater like me got that this movie doesnt represents superman at all and the thousand and one superman diehard fans love this movie.

Another thing I am not the kind of poeple who knows alot about Acting so im not gonna judge the acting unless its so odvious that even i can notice it.

Lets get the good things out of the way first, since they are fewer: The action, like everyone says, its amazing. Its full of intence moments and tons of blowing up and its all good until you realize your watching a SUperman movie, or at least your suposed to.

What imtrying to say whit this? well if you dont get it right now let me explain: This is not Superman ok? i guess they tried to "Redeem" him from all the bad movies but instead of been a good redemption like the Dark Knight it feels more like a kick in the balls like the Green Lantern movie (live action one). Hell the Green Lantern movie at least got the idea of the hero better that this movie does.

Lets point out the biggest plot holes:
    - The beguing in Krypton feels.... awkward, even out of place somehow. While the effects are cool most of the scene feels too fast to the point you dont really care whats happening or why it happens, mostly your looking at the scene for the effects. Also whats up whit Sup's mother? you know your son was sended to god knows where, your arny is reveling against the goverment and on top of all that the planet is about to blow up and you look bored like "oh here we go again". It really throws you out of the moment, if you where invested in it at all. Its sad when the villain is the one showing some feelings.

- The Scene where the step-father saves the dog from the car but the gets injured and.... you know for some reason tells Clark not to save him.... even hough he had plenty of time to walk to them or Clark to run normally and save him... or... you know i could be all day pointing out ways Clark could have saved him without revealing his powers, or using them at all... next!

- Oh yeah Superman kills Zod... because.... aparently this Superman is way too stupid to know other ways to defeat Zod without killing him like, you know Superman does. Oh wait yeah i forgot this is not SUperman, just some othe guy wearing his costume.

Those where only my mayor plot holes but they bring up the mayor problem of this movie: THIS IS NOT SUPERMAN! sorry for caps but i had to do it... but yeah this is not Superman! Superman is a hero who has a warm heart, whos prescence is enough to inspire hope in the hearts of all around him and who is incredibly strong but its kind enough to let his oponents live.
    A Hero who care more about to protect the people and even the buildings of metropolis than his own life.

As much as i hate to give prays to Superman im a man of honor and i know when my enemy deserves respect.

My name is Krayserlols and If i understand it i hope you do too. Now if you excuse me i heard Lobo appeared in Young Justice.
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    The first half of "Man of Steel" (MoS) is well written and engaging. There are noteworthy, if not entirely believable performances from the cast in the first act. The second act is where the film begins to fall down, eschewing quality writing for rapid fire action sequences. These are over the top, but fitting considering the abilities and powers on display. The film tries at times to reach the quality of writing on display during the first act, but it never quite reaches it. That's by the by though, we're talking about a summer movie, it was never intended to be as heavy weighted toward drama as "A beautiful mind," it's aims squarely for entertainment, and it does entertain, and it manages to have a coherent story, with understandable motivations. As a superhero film it isn't as engaging as the Batman films, nor is it a standout like "The Avengers." It is as a summer film, decent enough, and it is in that milieu the score above should be viewed. Expand
  23. Jul 4, 2013
    Es algo básico teniendo en cuenta que es el super heroe mas importante de todos los tiempos, tiene sus momentos de gran accion y entretenimiento sin embargo aun falta mas trabajo no en efectos porque eso si lo destaco si no en el trayecto como tal de la pelicula
  24. Feb 18, 2014
    Sigh... Once again this was horrible... Where to even start?! - Lame and boring action (and not enough of that even) - Dumb story and then still filled with plotholes - Superman is retarded in this one - Superman is a killer in this one (wastes thousands of people for no reason) - Worst Lois Lane ever, who can teleport and **** in this one - The comic relief sucked assss - Only Zod was okay the rest of the villains were terrible
    - Way too **** long (dont mind long movies unless they contain a lot of filler **** like this one)
    - This is not a superman movie and even as a regular action movie its terrible...
    - the tornado scene just raped every superman fan in the brains
    - pa kent and young superman were cringeworthy so stupid, dumb and nonsensical...

SCREW YOU HOLLYWOOD
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until the action started that i felt a little comfortable. This movie did something I never thought possible: It made me dislike a superhero. Thanks a lot Zach Snyder. The whole emotional superhero thing worked for The Dark Knight Rises but only because Nolan was in charge and because Batman had been introduced to us earlier. In one word, let me summarize this movie: I only give it a 5 because the action was good and the back-story was nice as well. The execution- BLEH! Expand
  26. Jul 14, 2013
    I have come to expect more from Christopher Nolan's projects. Even ones he doesn't direct. The film is beautiful, it's sprawling, it's epic, it's personal but at a certain point it's just more Superman and I'm not sure that makes it better.
  27. Jun 27, 2013
    As an avid fan of superhero movies, I started this one with high hopes and expectations but was highly disappointed. There was really no character development with most of the movie being outrageous fight scenes that ran so long they frequently lost my attention. The dialogue was cheesy and filled with cliches and awkward attempts at humor. The acting itself wasn't overly terrible but the horrible script and jumbled mess of overused special effects make this move just not worth watching. Expand
  28. Jun 30, 2013
    I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious, overlong action scenes.

If there's one thing the movie does get right, it's the casting. The lead actors are all fantastic, which helps the audience forgot how mediocre the script is for the first hour or so of the movie. After that point, everything is wall-to-wall building-crunching explosive action which seems to be catered specifically towards the Transformers crowd, but feels horrifically out of place in a Superman movie. For all its attempts to be "realistic", the movie glosses over the apocalyptic destruction and probably massive death toll wreaked by Superman and Zod over the course of what seems like four hours.

The movie overall is extraordinarily unfaithful to Superman's character and lore. There are little mistakes throughout the movie, but the climax of the movie contains a betrayal so jaw-droppingly huge that I'm honestly surprised DC allowed it on screen. Perhaps the biggest problem the movie has is that it takes itself far too seriously. Superman has always had an aspect of silliness that the original films managed to capture nicely, but is completely absent from Man of Steel. Superman is a timeless character, and rebooting him isn't a bad idea, but it would take a director much more talented and intelligent than Zack Snyder.
  29. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2013
    Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
  31. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't help but be disappointed. In all seriousness, the movie seemed eerily similar to the Transformers franchise. Apathy ensues as you stare at mindless action, minute-after-minute. What a shame that the producers made this movie so bland. One cannot help feel a sense of apathy when Clark Kent's father dies. Expand
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    First of all I agree with critiqs, Secondly i refoosed to watch lis but my husband and wif bot me it 4 chrissmas. lis movie is new. whiich we all know means it's bad becoz lis genreation suks. in the steel boy there is a boy baby lat shoots into earth on rockit ship, len Peter Parker is at a farm len his unclile ben dies in tornado. len Loki coms up in new york and try blow up erth len he kills loki len he lovs Jean Grey and kiss her len a army gurl says he hot. movee ovur it new which mean it bad coz lis generateiotn sux coz i miss youth WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Say helpfool coz vry sarcasteec revyew. Expand
  33. Jan 23, 2014
    Man of Steel was a great entertainer, but the logic and the common sense part of me just really didn't cope with this film logic. This is one of those films which has a solid story line but under not great direction. This Team spent so much time creating the planet Kerpton with no logic into it. If you can build hovercraft and space ship and crap I don't think any one would ever want to choose a dragonish creature, it is like a choice between the fastest car and a pony, that is just one aspect of it. The other is the dialogues they must have spent more time writing more creative once, rather than "Your are monster! I must save the Earth from you." what crap was that, so much of traditional heroish one. Lastly, he returns to work after a week or so, I mean which society would accept a Super-Man, even after he saving the globe.

However I really did not critic but this film is recommended for those who don't find mistakes or complain.
  34. Apr 16, 2014
    The number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting by Zach Snyder. Snyder is more interested in showing us an artsy action scene than in ever allowing us to connect to a character. The first half of the movie is all backstory, then there's OVER AN HOUR of non-stop destruction. Yawn. Watching one skyscraper after another after another get destroyed becomes a mind-numbing display of endless repetition. The Dark Knight proved a superhero movie doesn't have to be about destroying a bunch of buildings to be exciting. Which may explain why that's possibly the best superhero movie and this is a minimal Avengers ripoff. Expand
  35. Feb 27, 2014
    I would have posted a lengthy review of Man of Steel, until I read Ann Hornaday's Washington Post article on this film. I recommend you find it here on Metacritic and read it completely because she took the words right out of my mouth.
  36. Mar 2, 2014
    Ugh just no It was aweful I hated it.................save yourself the time...................and don't watch it.............don't lie to me ****......gurl

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.