Man of Steel

7.5

1. Aug 26, 2013
    Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    The tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for these problems, the film would amount to nothing more than a generic summer blockbuster. It's worse.
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *sigh* The Superman movie about how to not be superman... great...
    Lets get down to it right now: I hate superman as a character and no im not a stupid Batman fanboy yelling and cursing without thinking, i know what SUperman represents and i repect that (even like that) but Superman is just not my thing.

Why i bring this up you may ask? well so you can think about why a Superman hater like me got that this movie doesnt represents superman at all and the thousand and one superman diehard fans love this movie.

Another thing I am not the kind of poeple who knows alot about Acting so im not gonna judge the acting unless its so odvious that even i can notice it.

Lets get the good things out of the way first, since they are fewer: The action, like everyone says, its amazing. Its full of intence moments and tons of blowing up and its all good until you realize your watching a SUperman movie, or at least your suposed to.

What imtrying to say whit this? well if you dont get it right now let me explain: This is not Superman ok? i guess they tried to "Redeem" him from all the bad movies but instead of been a good redemption like the Dark Knight it feels more like a kick in the balls like the Green Lantern movie (live action one). Hell the Green Lantern movie at least got the idea of the hero better that this movie does.

Lets point out the biggest plot holes:
    - The beguing in Krypton feels.... awkward, even out of place somehow. While the effects are cool most of the scene feels too fast to the point you dont really care whats happening or why it happens, mostly your looking at the scene for the effects. Also whats up whit Sup's mother? you know your son was sended to god knows where, your arny is reveling against the goverment and on top of all that the planet is about to blow up and you look bored like "oh here we go again". It really throws you out of the moment, if you where invested in it at all. Its sad when the villain is the one showing some feelings.

- The Scene where the step-father saves the dog from the car but the gets injured and.... you know for some reason tells Clark not to save him.... even hough he had plenty of time to walk to them or Clark to run normally and save him... or... you know i could be all day pointing out ways Clark could have saved him without revealing his powers, or using them at all... next!

- Oh yeah Superman kills Zod... because.... aparently this Superman is way too stupid to know other ways to defeat Zod without killing him like, you know Superman does. Oh wait yeah i forgot this is not SUperman, just some othe guy wearing his costume.

Those where only my mayor plot holes but they bring up the mayor problem of this movie: THIS IS NOT SUPERMAN! sorry for caps but i had to do it... but yeah this is not Superman! Superman is a hero who has a warm heart, whos prescence is enough to inspire hope in the hearts of all around him and who is incredibly strong but its kind enough to let his oponents live.
    A Hero who care more about to protect the people and even the buildings of metropolis than his own life.

As much as i hate to give prays to Superman im a man of honor and i know when my enemy deserves respect.

My name is Krayserlols and If i understand it i hope you do too. Now if you excuse me i heard Lobo appeared in Young Justice.
  4. Jul 14, 2013
    I have come to expect more from Christopher Nolan's projects. Even ones he doesn't direct. The film is beautiful, it's sprawling, it's epic, it's personal but at a certain point it's just more Superman and I'm not sure that makes it better.
  5. Jul 10, 2015
    Wouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still this movies an injustice to such comic book
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    As an avid fan of superhero movies, I started this one with high hopes and expectations but was highly disappointed. There was really no character development with most of the movie being outrageous fight scenes that ran so long they frequently lost my attention. The dialogue was cheesy and filled with cliches and awkward attempts at humor. The acting itself wasn't overly terrible but theAs an avid fan of superhero movies, I started this one with high hopes and expectations but was highly disappointed. There was really no character development with most of the movie being outrageous fight scenes that ran so long they frequently lost my attention. The dialogue was cheesy and filled with cliches and awkward attempts at humor. The acting itself wasn't overly terrible but the horrible script and jumbled mess of overused special effects make this move just not worth watching. Expand
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious,I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious, overlong action scenes.

If there's one thing the movie does get right, it's the casting. The lead actors are all fantastic, which helps the audience forgot how mediocre the script is for the first hour or so of the movie. After that point, everything is wall-to-wall building-crunching explosive action which seems to be catered specifically towards the Transformers crowd, but feels horrifically out of place in a Superman movie. For all its attempts to be "realistic", the movie glosses over the apocalyptic destruction and probably massive death toll wreaked by Superman and Zod over the course of what seems like four hours.

The movie overall is extraordinarily unfaithful to Superman's character and lore. There are little mistakes throughout the movie, but the climax of the movie contains a betrayal so jaw-droppingly huge that I'm honestly surprised DC allowed it on screen. Perhaps the biggest problem the movie has is that it takes itself far too seriously. Superman has always had an aspect of silliness that the original films managed to capture nicely, but is completely absent from Man of Steel. Superman is a timeless character, and rebooting him isn't a bad idea, but it would take a director much more talented and intelligent than Zack Snyder.
  8. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. BasicallyI'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
  10. Dec 27, 2013
    First of all I agree with critiqs, Secondly i refoosed to watch lis but my husband and wif bot me it 4 chrissmas. lis movie is new. whiich we all know means it's bad becoz lis genreation suks. in the steel boy there is a boy baby lat shoots into earth on rockit ship, len Peter Parker is at a farm len his unclile ben dies in tornado. len Loki coms up in new york and try blow up erth len heFirst of all I agree with critiqs, Secondly i refoosed to watch lis but my husband and wif bot me it 4 chrissmas. lis movie is new. whiich we all know means it's bad becoz lis genreation suks. in the steel boy there is a boy baby lat shoots into earth on rockit ship, len Peter Parker is at a farm len his unclile ben dies in tornado. len Loki coms up in new york and try blow up erth len he kills loki len he lovs Jean Grey and kiss her len a army gurl says he hot. movee ovur it new which mean it bad coz lis generateiotn sux coz i miss youth WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Say helpfool coz vry sarcasteec revyew. Expand
  11. Feb 27, 2014
    I would have posted a lengthy review of Man of Steel, until I read Ann Hornaday's Washington Post article on this film. I recommend you find it here on Metacritic and read it completely because she took the words right out of my mouth.
  12. Aug 4, 2014
    This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
  13. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
  14. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, andThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I realize this movie came out over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I walked out from watching Man of Steel at the theatre simply feeling down. It was waay too much destruction and towards the end of the movie where like half the city is destroyed and you can visibly see thousands upon thousands of innocent humans plus thousands more off-screen inside of the buildings get killed in some way or another. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing put together movie with awesome effects and all but all I'm saying is there is A LOT more destruction and death of innocents than is needed. I couldn't really be proud and happy for superman even after he won and saved Earth because the fact that all those people, no doubt including children who's lives were more cut short(not shown being killed on-screen but saying hundreds or even thousands die off screen is perfectly fine for some reason...). Superman saves people right? Well that did happen in this movie but on a small scale so to be honest, I simply could not appreciate this movie or even Superman. But then again this could just be me and my really sensitive heart... But I'm sure some people will agree though. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2015
    The fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defendThe fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defend this movie by saying "Its dark and gritty you just don't understand it". Don't let those idiots fool you, this movie is not respectably dark. This movie takes no risks with its narrative or characters, making it loose any chance of being actually dark. This movie is just disgraceful. Don't spend money on it. Expand
  17. Dec 18, 2014
    This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine.
  18. Dec 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give the first 30 minutes of the movie a 10/10 and the proceeding hour and a half a 0/10.

It honestly felt like the first half hour couldn't have been done any better and the latter part of the movie could not have been done worst. Every event surrounding his father and protecting his identity was wrought with logic that doesn't stand up to outside scrutiny. A reporter who had no prior contact with him tracked him down effortlessly and there's at least a few dozen people that have seen him in action and seen his face and yet when it comes time to save his father it becomes a necessity to protect his identity and let the father die. That entire scene was a mess though as the family as it makes no sense whatsoever. They open their car doors, start talking about how a tornado is about to reach them, and they feel the need to close the car doors after the realization and locking their dog inside which they somehow forgot about. "A tornadoes coming?! I should first shut all the car doors and THEN run for shelter!"

The movie also killed the magic of superman as an extremely competent superhero with a few scripting blunders. First of all, only superman seemed to be having difficulty with General Zod's men. In that spaceship Lois managed to kill like 4 or 5 of the enemy alone using one of their own guns which undermines Supermans struggle with them as he kept getting knocked around in fist fights. I'm also used to Superman media having him save the day before anything tragic has a chance to happen but in this movie a whole city gets totaled with an expected casualty count in the millions and we're supposed to think it was a happy ending just because an army girl calls superman "hot"? We're all used to Superman films, cartoons, and comics having lots of collateral damage to buildings and the city but there was never the implication people died in the process and yet this movie ends with the explicit message that many innocent people of that city were caught and killed in the turmoil. Superman just felt like a sham of a hero with how incompetent he was at handling the situation and his failure to protect the people.
  19. Sep 28, 2015
    A loud mess of violence and poor righting. The destruction of the entire city was tasteless as was some of the violence. Before you get mad at me for being anti-gore or whatever, know that I liked the Dark Knight movies, including the violence because it fit the theme of the films. This did not. Also Amy Adams portrayal of Lois Lane was insulting to the character.
  20. Apr 20, 2015
    shake the damn camera like a polaroid picture!
    other than the retina-burning lens flare and the headache inducing camera shaking all over the place, this movie barely has anything to offer.
  21. Oct 29, 2015
    This movie was so bad that it made Superman IV look like an academy award nominee.

Starting with reinventing the traditional Superman costume to having Clark Kent work a number of manual labor jobs while he tries to figure out his destiny was bizarre let alone the fact that Lois Lane not only knows Clark is Superman but helps him get a job on the Daily Planet. Why Brandon Routh was

Why Brandon Routh was not allowed to reprise his role from “Superman Returns” remains another mystery to many movie goers. Henry Cavil’s performance was mediocre at best. The worst performance came from the actress who played Lois Lane.
  22. Dec 20, 2015
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Alles sieht zwar visuell klasse aus und Reeves wurde fast 1:1 getroffen. Aber mein Gefühl sagt mir das dies kein richtiger Superman Film ist. Es ist für mich ein Film ohne Seele.
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Sozusagen äußerlich eine schöne Frau aber die inneren Werte kann man vergessen. Keiner braucht dicke Effekte aber eine bessere Story sowie mehr Logik wären von Vorteil gewesen.
  23. Mar 25, 2016
    Pa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also, Clark does not find himself traveling the world but rather is grounded in being from a small, rural American town with family who love and believe inPa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also, Clark does not find himself traveling the world but rather is grounded in being from a small, rural American town with family who love and believe in him. That contrast against Batman makes both characters more compelling but the movie tries to make everything like Batman because he sells,

Watchmen was a great movie. Zach Snyder seems to enjoy reflecting heroes in a dark way largely because there's pressure for money and to follow gritty trends but it is disrespectful to the character of Superman.
  24. Mar 2, 2016
    Man of Steel is a partyof special effects,
    trying to create morally correct characters, but you get to see cynics , and in some cases gaps ( more than once left a lousy message to the viewer )
    thus creating an epic plot fomented by a great soundtrack, but it has no real or credible basis or based. It has very little coherance many facts , is extremly fantastic and what else to say , try
    Man of Steel is a partyof special effects,
    It has very little coherance many facts , is extremly fantastic and what else to say , try to be serious, but it is difficult take it seriously.
  25. Jan 3, 2016
    I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

Laurence Fishburne as Perry Mason? Really? No Jimmy Olson? Really? Lois Lane finds out from the start that Clark Kent is superman? Really? Kent saves an entire bus filled with school children but his identity remains unknown? Really? In spite of that, Kent lets his father die because his father doesn't want him to reveal his identity? Really? And finally, are we really supposed to root for some guy who knowingly destroys half a city along with the future of his own species in the middle of a testosterone fueled fight? Really?

Also, both my girlfriend and I had more sympathy for Zod and his crew (who were more or less the only rational people in the story) than for Clark Kent or any of the other "good guys", which is quite telling considering how one-dimensional the villains were overall.
  26. Feb 28, 2016
    Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, hater the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. I dont like DC comic. because it's dickhead

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.