7.6

1. Jun 15, 2013
    I LOVE Superman.... I grew up loving Superman. Perhaps its that fact that made watching this film so difficult. It is a 2 and a half hour disaster. There is so little dialogue that the film is basically overblown fight scenes followed by repeated action shots of people who seem too stupid to run away from entire buildings blowing up.

The film is so mindless that the only spoiler is

The film is so mindless that the only spoiler is to tell you that after two and a half hours you will be two and a half hours older and ten dollars poorer....

This film did accomplish one thing however... it managed to make Bryan Singer's Superman look like brilliant. Stay away...
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    Critics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolvesCritics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolves around the destroy of a city, The special effects look amazing and I kind of regret not seeing it in 3D. The plot reveals far more back story to Superman then any of the previous Superman films and was pretty solid over all.

In the end, Man of Steel is the must see summer action film and I will gladly pre-order it on Blu-ray when it comes out for home release. Go and see this movie, It's amazing.
  3. Jun 17, 2013
    When the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some AvengersWhen the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some Avengers action scenes and called it a day. This movie is mediocre at best. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    Very disappointed! Having been a fan since the first movie in 1978, enjoyed the 2nd movie immensely and even Superman Returns which I watched again last night before seeing Man of Steel.
    The hype said realism (which I know with the universe is a stretch) but the other movies felt more realistic and this was a jumble of noise and CGI like Transformers, however even those movies felt more coherent than this mess.
    There were some sparks of interesting layout to the movie like Clark growing up and Lois showing integrity by not exposing him to the world, but really this is not in the same league as other superhero movies over the past few years.
    I would have preferred a sequel to Superman Returns than this...
  5. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. El hombre de acero no muestra un mundo Krypton diferente a un Jor-El que lucha y que tenia ideología diferente a la de su planeta algo nuevo nos han traído al cine un hombre de acero diferentes a las otras como se desarrolla el trama y como involucran a los personajes hacen de esta película una de las mejores del 2013 me encanto la verdad Esperamos mucho tiempo para poder ver un superman diferente que muestre como en verdad es ,por eso le doy 10 a esta obra maestra... Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    Best movie that I paid to see since Avatar. Some of the scenes even remind me of Avatar. The action was intense, the actors were very good, some of the scenes were very touching, I really love the Krypton scenes and how David wrote it as being a planet like Pandora and also some Star Wars mixed in. Paid a lot of homage in my opinion to Smallville the TV series. I think I will go see it again.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    The heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since the original, and it is one of the best comic book movies ever. This is a fantastic reboot to the franchise, and a great start to an inevitable Justice League franchise.
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    Everything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for a comicbook adaptation but overall the action sequences steal the show. Triumphant return for Superman. Just wish Zod had asked him to kneel.
  9. Jul 2, 2013
    Just had to vote this up. It seems all the bad reviews come from people who don't read comics and therefore do not understand the significance this movie holds to future comic based movies.

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch, but to a comic reader they are just watered down hollywood products. Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic.

Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic. I'm not a huge fan of the invincible goody superhero in a blue pyjamamyself, but I must admit that he is the most iconic and one of the most important comic characters ever and the movie does right by him.

The movie itself is not perfect, there are a lot of issues (like too sudden cuts, missing information and too much bla bla), but the tone of the movie and the characters itself are exactly what I expect from a true to the comics superman movie. I definitely want to see more of that in the future. A superhero movie taking itself seriously is what the genre needed.

Now gimme Lex Luther in the second one and I'm happy!
  10. Jun 19, 2013
    I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literallyI never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literally nothing you have ever experienced before. The amount of carnage and building destruction is unbelievable but at the same time you believe it, which brings me to the visual FX because this has to be the most visually stunning movie ever made and for a superhero movie, it works. Zach Snyder is the king and ever since the watchmen (10 out of 10 as well) hes proven that he along with Nolan is the best a bringing these extraordinary characters to life. This movie is a must see and a must buy when it is released, because I see people watching it over and over again. Expand
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do yourself a favor and do not read into the critical reviews. look at metacritic, the game has almost a 9.0 rating from regular people but a 55% from the "professional movie critics" who are obviously out of touch with reality. This may be the best movie of the year. The build-up to General Zod's arrival on earth is perfectly paced, they handled Krypton well (like, its just almost exactly like it is in the comics, down to the floaty communicator-thingys). Is there a lot of action in it? Yes. The action feels good though and it keeps you excited for what is next. There was a scene in Smallville that was amazing, the action is great.

Overall, there is more action than story, perhaps yes, but it is appropriate for the first in a series or trilogy to set up the next movies for some good times to be had.
  12. Jun 18, 2013
    Man of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almostMan of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almost omnipotent can change the world and not always for the better. some minor plot discrepancies aside this is in my humble opinion the movie of the summer and the best Superman movie to date. Expand
  13. Jun 15, 2013
    What a brilliant movie it is up there with The Dark Night for me it is that good. There is a great cast some amazing special effects loads of action for a 2 hour plus movie it never drags and there is some nice additions to the story ,Michael Shannon is just becoming one of my favorite actors he plays the role of General Zod so well, all in all this is a must see movie its a easy 10 out of 10.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely sensational film. So original and refreshing. Acting and Action we're among the highlights. Great start for the DC Cinematic universe! I am not sure why it is receiving so much criticism. One of the best CBM's yet!
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite what most 'reviews' are saying this is easily one of the best science-fiction/superhero movie ever made. Finally a superman movie that was done right, as close as it can get to the origin story and portrayed the way it should be. Yes, it may not be perfect (nothing is) but this one movie has set the wheel in motion for all the good things to come and I cannot wait what Snyder, Goyer has up their sleeves in the next installment and as far as Justice League is concerned. Yes, it may have gone the full drama route to develop the characters further, and in doing so that would leave the movie little time to dish out all the crazy good battle scenes. I felt Snyder and co did a great job balancing between narration and action sequence quite well. It is well paced for a 2 hours 30 minutes movie.

I do not think I would have this movie in any other way, I know I will be going back to see this a couple of more times before my thirst for the epic reincarnation of the daddy of all superhero is quenched. This is the Superman movie we needed, for this time, for this and the generations to come. Similar to the way Reeves did for most of us old timers back in the eighties.
  16. Jun 16, 2013
    Mature, intelligent, and polished. The planet Krypton chapter was so interesting I could of watched a whole 2 hour movie just in that world. Many familiar faces make a show and it works. Fight scenes are quick and exciting. Certainly worth a franchise reborn.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    Loved it! I'm not usually a supes fan but this had me the whole film. I wasn't bored for a single second and I honestly couldn't see a single negative about the film that seems to have divided most critics. I actually felt far more emotionally involved with this film than any of the new Marvel films.
    Specifically I was worried about the religious undertones in this film and that it would have classic Zak Snider empty characterisation, but I think Nolan has had a really positive effect on Zak, This is by far the most interesting Superman and Zod is just pure cool.
    Loved it all and was definitely one of those "I could go straight back into the cinema and watch it again" movies.
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The actionMan of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The action sequences were absolutely amazing. The fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat, they were tough and at times brutal and ultimately just delivered what I had hoped to see out of this movie. Michael Shannon was fantastic as Zod but his female side-kick almost stole the show. Amy Adams as Louis Lane was probably my least favorite character, not because she is a bad actress and does horrible, I just have a hard time picturing her as Louis. Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane were perfectly cast and I love they signed on for what could be considered minor parts.

This is definitely one of those the critics got wrong. They have some legitimate critiques of the Man of Steel but I don't think enough weight has been given to its strengths which are many. If you listen to the critics this time around you are depriving yourself of an awesome entertainment experience. Go see it!
  19. Jun 16, 2013
    I was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going onI was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going on but you see epic moments. There is a couple of problems. First it needed to be longer in order to have General Zod in it because it to good of a enemy to be used in the first film. He needed to be included in the second film when Superman is already known and is the guardian on Earth. But this is not the reason to not see the movie. I loved it and I think it i the best Superman movie ever. Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the most AMAZING movies i've seen in my live, i cried when i watched at cinema, fight sequences are EPIC!!! Dont listen Critics bad reviews, they
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    a diferencia del otro superman este esta cargado de mas acción tiene una mejor historia una actuaciones increíbles, y lo mejor es que en ningún momento de la película uno sufre aburrimiento
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    If someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don'tIf someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don't suggest that you watch this movie.. I'm TELLING you to go see this movie! grab your wife, kids, pet dog sparky and haul a$$ to the theater! Expand
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    After the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero andAfter the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero and unlike the (2006) movie delivers magnificently on the action as well. Do not miss it. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is truly an achievement.

Man of Steel is truly an achievement.

Zack Snyder took an impecable cast, a classic character and turned it into the loudest, most exciting film he could make that felt like the best Superman comic literally come to life. The origin story was paced brilliantly through well segued flashback sequences to get a sense of what life was like growing up for our hero without dwelling on upwards of an hour of footage that would have acted as an extended montage.

The true accomplishment with this film I found was still in the level of feeling like a comic in the sense that not everything needed to be shown. Snyder played to the intelligence of the viewer and the ability to infer. We weren't needed to show in great detail why Kal trusts Lois, you just feel it in their interactions (which likely extend far beyond what is shown on screen).

Virtually everyone cast in this film owns their respective role. Cavill's brooding longing to understand who he is, Amy Adams' fierce determination drives her character, Michael Shannon is intimidating, and desperate and Antje Traue demonstrates the most demonic sense of superiority that she truly is terrifying in the role of Faora.

This is by far the best looking film so far this year, the action sequences are exciting to look at and well choreographed and the use of long shots really add to the powerful atmosphere of the film. Man of Steel is, as previously stated, a cinematic achievement that is more than worthy of the Superman brand.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    I think the flaws in this movie were exaggerated. I did not see anything majorly wrong with this film. Henry Cavill was destined to be Superman. Man of Steel is, in my opinion, the best Superman movie made.
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie really soared above my expectations and competes for the greatest superhero film. Comic book fan or not this movie is a lot of fun and will keep you at the edge of your seat for sure!
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely spectacular arrangement of action and character development. The movie isn't paced like most others, opting for a more unique approach. It divides itself into massive scale action sequences and lengths of character exploration. Most reviewers have been put off by the massive scale, hour long action sequence near the end, but they seem to forget the thematic exploration of Clark's character that came before it.

Superman as the depiction of the perfect immigrant? You have Clark coming in and doing various oddjobs to try and make a living before he finally finds his calling, and even then he is submit to scrutiny.

Superman as a paradoxical character with a strength that is also a weakness? You have some pivotal scenes where Superman is forced to make a decision for the greater good despite his morals. Indeed at several points in the film, the villains themselves outright state this theme- that Clark's morals make him weaker.

In addition to that, you have Clark's brilliant social predicament as a whole once again laid out perfectly. This absolutely incorruptible, truly good person manages to still somehow be put through a sad and lonely life.

In addition to the thematic exploration being done masterfully by writer David S. Goyer, you have the incredibly character performances. Henry Cavill portrays a humble (if humorless) Kal El/Clark Kent who is always willing to do the right thing on his own terms. His facial expressions and overall body language enrich the film's quality immensely. The look of apprehension the first time he dons the cape and faces the threat. The look of weakness when he realizes that the enemy who has just slammed him into a wall possesses the same powers as him. The look of stern coldness as Superman taunts the main villain. The white hot intensity when Superman turns aggressive. It's all done superbly by Cavill.

The aforementioned main villain is also an absolute powerhouse. General Zod is played by Michael Shannon (famous for his ability to simulate anger). General Zod's character as a whole is one of the most surprisingly good parts about the film. Sharply contrasting with Terence Stamp's cold blooded "kneel inducing" Zod, Shannon plays a megalomaniac bent on trying to restore life to his long dead race. You truly feel sympathy for Zod, but are no less satisfied when his character arc reaches its payoff. Shannon's portrayal is raw, threatening, and downright scary. He really has a way with eyes, being able to intimidate pretty much anyone he wants to.

Superman's father, Jor-El, happens to be one of those people. He is played by Russel Crowe. There's really not much else to say here but the fact that he absolutely kills the role.

The supporting cast all do their jobs very well, but are given rather little to work with. This should be more or less expected, considering the movie's marketing as Superman's origin story. Standout performances include Antje as the menacing-yet-sexy supporting villain Faora, Amy Adams as the adorable-yet-tough love interest Lois Lane, and Kevin Costner as the moral guidance of Jonathan Kent (Clark's father).

There are some issues with the movie. The action scenes do indeed feel too drawn out at some points. This can be seen in the middle 20 minutes of the last action scene where the movie ends up feeling like a Michale Bay-esque building dropper. Fortunately, the action builds up even more, and ends up with a climax so exhilarating that it would take three Avengers movies to top it.

As said before, the pacing is unique, but still strangely polarizing. The film is content with simply dividing the action and story development scenes into sections, instead of integrating them with each other and creating a coherent flow throughout the movie.

And, above all, the film truly is devoid of humor. While this is a new Superman film, some of the humility (and humanity) of the original Clark Kent in the Richard Donner films came from trivial things that would happen to Clark. Fortunately, the ending of the film leads into something that may indicate a return to this style of humor in the future.

The movie does contain some absolutely massive, drawn out action sequences. It is also paced in a strangely polarizing way, and the film is devoid of a lot of the humor that characterized the Richard Donner films. But one must not ignore the thematic explorations of the characters that came with those things and dismiss the film as a "generic blockbuster." Truly, with the teeming sci fi world of Krypton, strong character performances, and thematic respect to Superman's character, it is anything but.

This movie scores a 9.5/10. Since Metacritic does not allow for 9.5s, and the critical response seems to be rather mixed, the score was rounded to a 10.

____

This is my girlfriend's cousin's review. I'm just relaying it here. I haven't watched the film yet myself, but as a longtime Superman fan, the talk of thematic exploration excites me to no end.
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    I'll preface this by saying that I don't like Zack Snyder, so I think I went into this movie with an unfair bias against him. That said, this movie was terrible. The opening scene on Krypton actually looked really cool, if you could see it. The cinematography was so shaky that you couldn't actually concentrate on what was happening. I don't mind the dark tone that Snyder takes, but he justI'll preface this by saying that I don't like Zack Snyder, so I think I went into this movie with an unfair bias against him. That said, this movie was terrible. The opening scene on Krypton actually looked really cool, if you could see it. The cinematography was so shaky that you couldn't actually concentrate on what was happening. I don't mind the dark tone that Snyder takes, but he just can't pull it off. The script was terrible, it became either a laugh or cringe fest whenever anyone opened their mouth. The action looked like a video game, unrealistic, much too fast, and entirely over the top. I don't even want to talk about the science...just awful. And of course, the acting. I love Amy Adams but what the heck? All she did was scream and cry and she was some of the better acting. Russel Crowe was tolerable, Kevin Costner was mediocre, Henry Cavill doesn't pull off the inner struggle that Snyder wants him to have, and everyone else is absolutely horrid. Micheal Shannon was the absolute worst part of the film, and his portrayal of General Zod was soul-less without Superman taking it from him. Do not go and see this unless you enjoy bad movies or have a unique sense of humor. I was lucky that I got my ticket for free, and I'd certainly hate to see anyone actually spend money on this. Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seenMan of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seen him before in a movie, there's no Clark Kent fumbling round the offices of the Daily Planet (I'm sure that will be in the sequel) but instead there is a man on a mission to discover who he really is, where he came from and what his purpose is in life. The opening scene to Man of Steel got me fully invested into the film, the action kicked off straight away and set up the villain for the rest of the film. General Dru Zod is one fantastic villain for the first film in a hopefully long franchise, he was menacing, fierce, but had reason behind his cruel and violent actions. The performances in this film were brilliant. Henry Cavill is the best Superman but on the screen so far, yes I said it, Christopher Reeve was a fun Superman, may he rest in peace, but this Superman is a character you want to root for, to save the world at the end of the movie. Henry Cavill really gave Kal-El depth and emotion, and I hope he stays on as Superman for a long time to come. Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Kal-El's biological father, was a very some very good casting, a big improvement from Marlon Brando. Amy Adams was a good Lois Lane, although I believe they should have saved the Lois and Clark relationship for the sequel, it felt quite rushed in this film, but what women wouldn't fall in love with a flying man who just saved the world. Michael Shannon is a very good General Zod, he is menacing enough for the audience to fear him, but gives the character depth and reason behind his actions, and at some times even makes us sympathize with Zod. Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent gave some great emotional scenes and gave some great lessons to Clark about who he is going to grow up to be. The CGI was fantastic in the movie and the excessive use of it did not take me away from the movie at all. All round I do believe this Superman is the best we've ever had, the performances are great, the score is miraculous, Zack Snyder's direction for this is pleasing and the pacing of the movie is great! You can definitely see Christopher Nolan in parts of this film. David S Goyer's script is fantastic with little hidden gems like Lois' line 'Welcome to the planet' which had me smiling like an idiot. And keep a watchful eye DC fans, for those subtle easter eggs to other villains and characters in the DC universe. Ii am very pleased with Zack Snyder's take on Superman, and I hope he stays on as director for future movies. I only had a few issues with Man of Steel, and believe me they are few. For one, a line that a women soldier says at the end of the film 'I don't know, I just think he's kind of hot'. Seriously, what is that?! There is one scene that should have been changed to a more emotional and character building scene rather than just Superman fighting mechanical tentacles. And the relationship between Lois and Clark should have been saved for the sequel, because as I said before it felt rushed. Overall I think Man of Steel is one fantastic movie, the best of the summer so far, and the best of the year. I'm giving Man of Steel a 4.5/5. Expand
  30. Jun 21, 2013
    Very good movie. I liked everything: visual effects, actors, action, and music. Beautiful panorama of Krypton. Do not feed boring flashbacks. Best film of Superman to date.
  31. Jun 24, 2013
    The movie was awesome and is in my opinion the best in the franchise. Well done Zack Snyder, cast, crew and everyone else involved, you have done a great job, I highly recommend it
  32. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this incarnation of The Man Of Steel. Henry did a great job as well as the rest of the cast. I loved the imagery, I love the story cause it was an entirely new take on supermans origins. My absolute favorite scene of him was when he learned how to fly. And my absolute favorite was that score made by Hans Zimmer. Expand
  33. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The content in this movie is incredible. The horrid pacing... isn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of this film. I know it's making everyone think the movie is just Michael Bay-esque explosions, but it's not. Get past the pacing, and you'll find an intelligent, well made sci fi that pays respect to my most beloved superhero.

Points of Controversy I'd Like to Counter:

-The destruction caused by Kal. I have watched the final fight between Kal and Zod dozens of times on Youtube. Kal ALWAYS takes the fight to the side of the building or in places where people wouldn't readily get hurt. It is in fact General Zod who takes Kal and throws him into buildings. The only problem I have with the destruction is the pacing of it and the fact that there is one building that falls which would most likely be responsible for a lot of deaths that Kal doesn't really do anything about (again, he isn't the cause for it, it's General Zod's heat vision that takes the building down, it's just he doesn't really try to save the people under it).

-Lois Lane being brought aboard Zod's ship. People seem to think that she was brought on board the ship as nothing but an exposition device and that General Zod had no purpose for her. In actuality, Lois' name was broadcast on national television by another news reporter as having a connection to Kal. Given that she is the only other person who seems to have a special relationship with the Kryptonian, Zod decides to bring her on board and contain the situation entirely. There is another thematic reason Lois is brought on board, and I will detail that in the next point.

-Perry White's character arc, and various other "unnecessary" plot threads. These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually enforcing a thematic value of the story- that everyone can be a hero. Jor-El himself says "Everyone can be a force for good." These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually bolstering his claim. They give everyone their chance to be the hero, from a small scale, such as Perry letting Jenny know that there was still someone who cared in the midst of the end of the world, or the scientist figuring out how the Command Key works, to a large scale, such as the Colonel sacrificing himself to kill Faora or Kal's antics himself. Lois' involvement on Zod's ship also gives her a chance to be the hero, showing that she wasn't brought in just as an exposition device, but as a thematic expression too.

-Various references to Jesus. I don't know about you, but regardless of what it's referencing, I prefer there to be allegories to renowned texts, be it religious or not. Biblical allusions are not a negative (and this is coming from a Muslim).

-Above all, the ending decision. Many people have decided to base their entire opinion on Kal's final decision in the movie and have written the movie off as a pile of garbage simply due to this being "out of Superman's character."

Have you recognized that throughout this review/counter argument, I have only referred to the protagonist as Kal, and not as Superman? This is because Kal-El, for the most part in this movie, is not Superman. He is Kal-El.

One of the main themes in this movie is that of choice. From the beginning this is explored, with Krypton's selective "bloodline" system that removes freedom of choice, to Jonathan Kent's talks about his son (and his death). Not once in his life had Kal acted on impulse (aside from the school bus scene, which he was later scolded for). He always played it safe. Never tried to act on his own feelings but based on what everyone else was telling him was right. He had never explored the other area of choice- the ones his instincts were compelling him to make.

In that final, climactic scene, General Zod threatens to kill a family. After Kal beats him outright, and he realizes his "you die or I do" mentality wouldn't work in a normal battle due to Kal's morality, he shifts his focus to killing as many people as he could before forcing Kal's hand ("Stop!"- "Never."). Kal finally decides to act on impulse. He snaps Zod's neck. Realizing what he has just done, he drops to his knees and screams.

This scene is not only respectful of Superman's character, but easily one of the most powerful advancements of it I have ever seen. Kal finally explores the "other" area. He acts on impulse and stops Zod, but he realizes after that the price he paid (taking someone else's life) was far too great to pay. Just as in Superman: Executioner (where he similarly executes Zod) he decides from then on to stop killing. From that moment on, he truly becomes Superman, and not Kal. He realizes that he isn't supposed to give into the constraints of choice. When there are two options, he creates a third (he even tells General Swanwick that he will help only "on his own terms" shortly after). That is what Superman is. And through that final scene, that is what this origin story has helped Kal El become.
  34. Jul 5, 2013
    Few people failed to appreciate that this is, by far, the best Superman movie. They can always be dissatisfied if they choose to instead of just enjoying and appreciating a film from its positive outlook versus the opposite. Opinions are drawn from either spectrum just like how one views a glass filled with water. I'm one of those who sees things half-filled instead of half-empty. ThisFew people failed to appreciate that this is, by far, the best Superman movie. They can always be dissatisfied if they choose to instead of just enjoying and appreciating a film from its positive outlook versus the opposite. Opinions are drawn from either spectrum just like how one views a glass filled with water. I'm one of those who sees things half-filled instead of half-empty. This review will attempt to point out the commonest complaints from dissatisfied critics & disappointed moviegoers. Hope this would help:
    1.) The most common complaint was the "disaster porn", the total annihilation of the fictional city, Metropolis. We assume that with total destruction, there also were countless lives sacrificed, right? Not exactly. During Supe & Zod's battle, one will noticed that the city wasn't filled with everyday working people & that is because majority stayed home heeding government's warning due to the earnestness of the matter (about this newly revealed threat to mankind) ergo it's fair to conclude that the number of casualties was under control & not in direct ratio to the amount of property damage. Daily Planet's employees need to be there to cover the news.
    2.) The Flashbacks. Understandably, some people don't like this editing approach. They find it tedious & annoying. But for many of us, they didn't really bother that much. It was a good thing, being artfully done, that Zack Snyder & team made the conscious effort to veer away from Donner's SUPERMAN films. For a second there, we cringed in our seats from the expectation that we were gonna be treated with a John Williams-like fanfare of an introduction complete with title credits as baby Kal-El's spaceship hurtles down to earth. It was actually a refreshing change.
    3.) Flat, Bland & Humorless---There's no chemistry between Henry Cavill & Amy Adams. Critics doesn't have to look away from that seemingly "unromantic" kiss. Any damsel in distress who has fallen, not once but twice, from the sky (not building) & got saved by the same flying "knight in shining armor" would definitely fall for her hero & give him that deserving kiss. Lois wanted to the first time it happened but Superman, in urgency to get to his mother, left before she could. Now ladies, wouldn't you do the same thing & let opportunity pass the second time around? The result of the litmus paper test for the chemistry between Cavill's Clark & Adams's Lois could not be fairly assessed in this first installment but in the next one since their romance was not the emphasis of the storytellers here. The central subject was Clark's search for his real identity hence leading the filmmakers drawing a theme of seriousness by deliberately keeping the whole atmosphere seemingly under-wraps dark & humor-in-check mysterious to make certain this come across believable especially that it involves the enigmatic question, "Are we alone in the universe?" Adam's Lois Lane character as the investigative reporter becomes the viewers' cursor as we keep track with her how Cavill's turn as Clark Kent become the Man of Steel. Not following Donner's ta-da treatment, this sensible approach in introducing our hero was timely brilliant & worked well for Snyder.
    4.) Lame--Jonathan Kent's "Maybe" answer to Clark's argumentative query & why he can't show his power & save lives like he used to in the old comic books. This is Superman 2013 & it's about time to upgrade him to this era. If his costume gets an update, why not his origin story as well. right? A little modification won't do no harm as long as it's grounded on logic & not stray too far away from the lore. Jonathan Kent's throw-caution-to-the-wind answer was just parental banter. Smart audiences understood it very well. Though not verbally expressed, Kevin Costner's Pa Kent character would really rather have those kids saved than left to die. The situation has become uncontrollable signalling that it was high time for them to reveal who Clark really was--for him to receive a lesson on subtleties & the importance of staying under the radar. If one is blessed with superpowers, should one flaunt or hide them? To quote another superhero movie line, "With great power comes great responsibility", it is from this cautionary premise that Clark's adopted parents were torn for their juvenile. They knew for the fact that the present government will not hesitate to take this child away from them and for the fear that, in captivity, he would be treated less than being human.
    5.) Why Lois? This referring to why Zod wanted her along with Supe's surrender. Remember that Lois Lane was rattled off by that fellow media person on TV--that she had knowledge of Kal-El. General Zod, being an advantage-driven military strategist, wanted to know to what extent that knowledge was by probing her mind. It's actually an interesting twist thoughtfully included & not just for the plot. It addresses & brings to mind "alien abduction phenomenon" & the things aliens do to their human subjects.
  35. Jun 29, 2013
    A must-see of the year! Don't wait for the DVD or BluRay to come out. The big screen experience especially the IMAX 3D is total different. Undeniably, the best Superman movie ever! I've seen IRON MAN 3 three times while MAN OF STEEL I've seen five times (and counting) already. It's absolutely a joyride to watch! I say it's a cut above the rest of superhero movies. Dunno how Snyder &A must-see of the year! Don't wait for the DVD or BluRay to come out. The big screen experience especially the IMAX 3D is total different. Undeniably, the best Superman movie ever! I've seen IRON MAN 3 three times while MAN OF STEEL I've seen five times (and counting) already. It's absolutely a joyride to watch! I say it's a cut above the rest of superhero movies. Dunno how Snyder & other superhero filmmakers will top this one. It makes THE AVENGERS look like child's play (though I still love that movie). Faora makes the Black Widow look like Dora, the Explorer. This movie answers back Iron Man's joke on Thor, "Doth mother knows you're wearing her drapes?" in which Martha Kent compliments Clark as Superman with, "Nice suit, son!" If THE AVENGERS has a Tesseract, MAN OF STEEL has a Codex. Tom Hiddleston's Loki has nothing on Michael Shannon's Zod here. Even The Hulk will have to kneel before him & will just have to settle on a fight with Nam-Ek. MAN OF STEEL dominates, totally smashing & demolishing all competition in its wake! Can't wait how Zack Snyder will top this one out on MAN OF STEEL 2... Expand
  36. Jun 30, 2013
    I don't exactly know what other people watched but I think this is a great movie! If you want thought provoking drama movies, go to the sundance festival or some such! This movie is supposed to be action and it delivers! This is how superman fights should be!

I will watch the sequel if it comes out.
  37. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CONTAINS SPOILERS.
    I love Man of Steel like a bunny loves jelly beans. This movie takes a poo on Iron Man 3. Don't listen to those one sided bias liberal s.o.p.r.w. critics. They suck the life out of life. I don't know what their motives are but they are not from God. The special effects in this movie are only third to District 9 and Avatar. The emotional intensity in this movie grips me like a hand grips a bird, not to hard but not to soft. This story is almost as well threaded as Gladiator. I think what it comes down to is the critics don't like the part where Superman has a conversation with the priest in front of the stain glass window of Jesus. They talk about what it is to give up your life for the world. So, let's talk about Superman's impressive physique. He was so much manlier than Christopher Reeves or Brandon Routh. Not only could he probably bench press more but his voice was deeper and he would look better in a mustache. Russel Crowe is the actor who plays Superman's dad in Man of Steel. His performance was picturesque. Michael Shannon was the perfect villain as he is in many of his movies. The development of Kripton was extremley well done. The film makers show a world full of alien animal life on Krypton and a diverse unique culture and society of Kriptonians. Overall, the superman movie "Man of Steel" is super good and you should definitely see it!
  38. Jul 3, 2013
    Hands down this was the BEST MOVIE of the summer and best SUPERMAN move ever! Don't listed to the NEGATIVE Critics that are probably getting paid to dumb down this movie....it was spectacular! Best graphics, Best acting, edge of your seat entertaining. I plan to take the whole family to see it again, this time we are going to see it in 3D!
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    First off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's movingFirst off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's moving with the times. It's very good so give it a chance. There are hardly any boring moments and the action is great. Cavill makes a sombre and amateurish Superman in his early days believable. Amy Adams is good in just about anything she appears in and in Lois Lane she has given us the best version, be it comic book or film. Which leads me on to state that this movie is just as much about Lois Lane as Superman. Never would I have ever imagined that a Lois Lane movie would work and it has here.
    I'll finish off on why this movie didn't get a perfect 10. Well it is long at over 140 minutes. But here's the thing, it didn't feel like it at all and the time flew by. A good sign, though that's where MOS falters a little. The film has a lot crammed in and could have done with more character and story development. Let'd hope the director's cut sorts this out.

Lastly I have no idea why the critics have have been so harsh. But it just seems like it's their current M.O. Just to hate. Heed my warnings/tips and watch it for yourself. I didn't regret it.
  40. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easy steps to a better movie:

1. Don't try to pack so much stuff in on Krypton. Put the societal and environmental decay in the background, as context. Then, have Zod and Maximus argue about the best way forward, give us some touching dialog between the man and his wife with the mismatched accent, and then have Kal's Superpod lift off to a backdrop of the pseudo-nuclear beginnings of civil war. That way we don't see Zod LOSING both militarily and in a fist fight against a scientist in the first 20 minutes of film. Fill in the other stuff with the hologram and Zod's speeches later.

2. Have little Clark try to help, somehow, and screw up. If the bully had bothered other kids, and Clark had decided to scare him or respond when nobody was looking only to accidentally almost seriously injure the kid...it would have added a lot of weight and gravitas to both Bill Durham's otherwise alarming speeches and the kid's later frustrated efforts to remain passive. The oil rig would then be a pivotal moment in his character growth. "Oh, wow....I really can save these people, if I'm careful."

3. Make it rain. Even in Kansas, tornado out of nowhere is not a typical event. Why was it deemed a bad idea to have it be raining? Also, when has there even been that much traffic in a place where a Kevin Costner character might believably live? I grew up in South Dakota, and not even a high school football game creates that much traffic (and that's about the biggest thing that happens in those areas). Does he have a field of dreams opening up nearby, perhaps? Put a storm in there, lose half the cars from the shot, and have his foot get caught when the approaching disaster whips a car while he's helping the mother...the whole "going back at the last minute to save the dog" stuff is as tired as it is corny. Please.

4. Shoo the kids away from the closet. It's bad enough that the teachers just let them stand around gossiping while the child has a breakdown....but then his mom doesn't care, either? It's a weird backdrop for what could be a very touching scene. It's not like Clark couldn't HEAR and SEE them mock him if they were in the classroom, right? You gained nothing from having them there.

5. Have somebody else kill Zod. Maybe, as Zod taunts and dares him to finish him off and Superman howls in frustration, torn between not wanting to kill and needing to save that family, Lois Kryptoknifes the guy and resolves the issue. That gives us somewhere to go in the next film. If Superman is willing to kill when the need arrives, you've really just ditched one of the primary psychological facets that informs his internal drama (the other being his loneliness, which you've also ditched). Now, all he has is a fear of cloudy days and a whole lot of superpowers.

6. Reduce the destruction by 50%. If you only wrecked 11 buildings, and only killed a baker's dozen of soldiers and civies, none of us would have walked out going "Wow...lame!" How are you going to up the stakes in a sequel? You've killed thousands (at least), had Superman purposefully end a villain with his bare hands and make choices in battle that intentionally put humans at risk (including grabbing a bad guy from a remote location and willingly hurling him through various populated buildings in a nearby town). What's left to do?

7. Don't explain everything. The scene with the scientist looking at the circle (earth, natch) and the squiggly lines and immediately intuiting (with lots of scientific babble) that they were terraforming earth was a Michael Bay-level cheeseball of a moment, and unneeded. The machine is called something like a World Engine or something. You've already told us what it does. Don't try to explain how...please. And don't tell us how Zod modded his ride to get to earth, either. It's a spaceship, built by a race that colonized the stars. We wouldn't have rolled our eyes if you'd left that out. All the explaining helped make "alien weird" look and feel a lot more just "future earth"y.

Do these things, and you'd have a much better movie methinks.
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    8/10 for a super hero movie 9/10 for a Superman movie. Great origin movie and easily the best Superman movie to date. Visual effects and fighting is amazing story is a bit simple, but it has it's moments. Highly recommend seeing in 3D AVX or some other kind of Digital Projector.
  42. Jul 2, 2013
    Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!
  43. Jun 15, 2013
    Wow. This is the Superman movie I've been waiting over 20 years to see. I was 6 years old when I first saw Superman the movie, of course I already knew of him from Superfriends. Christopher Reeve made Superman come alive was real for me, and yes, I truly did believe a man could fly. However, time has made such vast improvements on film technology, the older films really don't hold upWow. This is the Superman movie I've been waiting over 20 years to see. I was 6 years old when I first saw Superman the movie, of course I already knew of him from Superfriends. Christopher Reeve made Superman come alive was real for me, and yes, I truly did believe a man could fly. However, time has made such vast improvements on film technology, the older films really don't hold up as well as they once did. Not to mention that resolving the first movie by reversing time was one of the sloppiest laziest ideas ever.

This new movie evolves the story of Superman's origin, but in new and interesting ways. I watched most of this movie with my mouth in an open smile, seeing Superman so alive and real, it was like I was a kid again. The acting is all top notch, and Henry Cavill looks and feels every bit the hero we want him to be. Zod is incredible and menacing, and Superman is battling for the fate of humanity, not against some billionaire with a real estate scheme, so the gravitas of this film is palpable. Kevin Costner is amazing as Superman's Earth father, and continues the long tradition of making me tear up for Jonathan Kent.

Special effects are so life like, and Snyder is a master of action, so fight scenes are creative, and the action is grand in scale yet shown in a way that makes it easy to follow. I was blown away when a Kryptonian took out a squad of solders at super speed, it was so cool looking! Superman's battles are amazingly choreographed with the fight scenes covering miles and twisting through the air and flying through exploding buildings. (Our group did feel somewhat disturbed by the amount of civilian casualties, both seen and unseen, couldn't Superman have fought them in a desert or something? We forgive him because it's his first battle though).

Man of Steel was an amazing experience, and despite what some say, I found it had just enough lighthearted and endearing moments to break the tension, and an ending that left he whole theater with smiles on their faces. I think I may go see it again in IMAX, just so I can see it even larger than life. I don't really understand the critics panning this movie so harshly. Then again, they were wrong about the Hobbit too, IMO.

Man of Steel leaves the door wide open for it's sequel, and I think we can expect to see more of the Clark Superman dynamic, as well as a better love story forming with Lois Lane (who I loved in this flick, even if she is a little underused). 9/10, a near perfect movie, and the best Superman movie of all.
  44. Jun 27, 2013
    (Note: There are spoilers at the bottom of this review, but the top half is a simple, non-revealing review)

Man of Steel. What can I say about my favorite superhero and his first action-packed genesis story? Simply amazing. Before I get hit with accusations from the purists, let me make one thing clear: it was fantastic for what it was meant to be (a super-powered exhibition). Director Zack Snyder is catching a lot of heat for the creative decisions he made for the film, but I thought they were smart choices (and no, I am not a die-hard Snyder fan). In short, the film was, in my opinion, the best Superman movie of our time. Yes, the technology that is now available to filmmakers plays a huge role in my critique; but Superman is a powerhouse of a hero that has deserved this type of platform for quite some time. I feel that any technical missteps in plot, structure, character or conception are HEAVILY trounced by cinematography, pacing, sound, setting, lightning, effects, and great execution by both the cast and the crew. Henry Cavill did a super job as our hero, and quite honestly, I don't think his performance could be criticized in any way. In short, go see this movie if you want to be thoroughly entertained by our modern day Man of Steel.

HERE COME THE SPOILERS!!!!!

The good:

The film starts off in a way unique to the Superman franchise on Krypton, birthplace of our hero. The planet has been depicted in many ways over the years, often as a highly advanced aristocratic metropolis. In this film however, the technological advancements were there, but there was also a primal feel to the setting. We even see Jor-El riding a giant winged beast!

They chose to skip over the scenes where the Kents find Kal-El in the field, as well as a lot of the back-story that we often see where he's growing up. Instead, the important moments in his life (like discovering powers, early moral decisions, or losing his adopted father) are displayed via flashbacks. This was a nice change of pace because the scenes were wisely positioned throughout the film and were only revealed when directly related to the issues he was facing in the present.

The bad:

As a huge fan of this production, there was very little I didn't like. However, there were some things that struck me as odd, and they mostly revolved around Lois Lane. Let me start off by saying that I think Amy Adams is a fine actress. There was nothing wrong with her performance, but it didn't feel 'right'. Perhaps I was distracted by the fact that she was not a brunette? I'm not sure how much that factored into my perception of the character, but it was definitely something I took note of. Despite this however, I thought Adams did a really good job, and the remaining issues I have with Lois are strictly not her fault. A big issue for me was how close she and Kal seemed to get throughout the course of the story, which was in actuality, a mere couple of days in length. The big romance and deep connection they seemed to have, simply did not make sense to me.

I also am not a fan of how the two meet, which is in the "fortress of solitude". As a side note, I did not like the reimagined fortress, but I understand why it was presented to us that way. There is a Kryptonian droid of sorts guarding the fortress that strikes and hurts Kal, but when Lois is attacked by it, she manages to survive. She is injured by it, but it seems that if something can make the Man of Steel wince, it should probably straight up kill a human. Finally, if the ship is Kryptonian and operational, wouldn't the ship's atmosphere be calibrated to that of Krypton, like Zod's ship? Therefore knocking Kal unconscious? Again, I did not have huge problems with these things, I just felt like I should point them out.

The REALLY good!

Henry Cavill as Superman was not the right choice, it was the ONLY choice. Honestly, he killed it as Superman, there was no one else that could have done it better. The scenes that followed him in flight were gorgeous, and really made you feel like you were right up there with him. The costume was absolutely amazing, and the cape brought all the iconic glory that Superman has deserved all these years.

The fight scenes between Superman and lieutenant Faora-Ul and the other Kryptonian were epic. The sheer power of the brawl was outstanding and it made me feel that if that fight was real, that's exactly how it would look.

Another very cool plot point was the whole terraforming thing. The way the machine worked in the film brought a real desperation to the "end of the world" theme and it just made you root for Superman even harder.

Other stuff:

People are upset about Kal killing Zod, but I liked it. Snyder's explanation was that since this is an origin story, there was not enough time to properly explain why he would normally choose to not kill Zod. Since we don't have that time, Superman NEEDS to save the people. I fully get it, and it makes sense.

In summation: GO SEE THIS! AGAIN
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  46. Jun 22, 2013
    Giving a solid origin story and fitting actor, "Man of Steel" takes its well known character and humanizes him, and, in the process, establishes a true hero.
  47. Jun 29, 2013
    I've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & II've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & I have a feeling the sequal will be amazing. Expand
  48. Jun 20, 2013
    I got high hope for the movie after I witnessed how Nolan accomplished for Batman franchise. The movie is great, I must say. But it got multiple rough edges. My actual score is 7.8.
    I don't think the superman is too serious. He is funny enough in another way, like a normal human. He is optimistic, helpful, just like what a great person should be. The movie also reached my expectation on the stance of delivering emotion. The movie truely showed me the conflict in Clark about being normal or unusual.
    However, my first complain about the movie is the performance of some characters. Take Zod as an example, he never showed any sort of emotion. He was just shouting about how he love his people. I believe the movie wants to squeeze a little bit more from him but failed. General Zod and his people are like bad guys with BAD on their faces.
    Second is some of the plot made no sense. Why Zod wants Louise aboard? Why there's a control plug-in in her supposed jail? Why their ships' control is that easy to be overwritten? Why Zod is that easy to be killed even after he takes off his armor? It feels like the good guys were hacking to win.
    The third is the fighting scenes are way too chaotic even on Superman's stance. With the help of Bourne-like shaky camera and half-ass 3D effect, my eyes hurt a little. The fighting sequences are always like "Superman shut up, he gets hit; Superman shout, he wins."
    Overall, the movie worth the tickets, and I'm highly recommended it to DC fans and guys who want to see a blockbuster to kill some time. But I don't think it will be as memorable as Dark Knight Trilogy after couple of years.
  49. Jun 29, 2013
    I don't know what think the professional criticism with this film, but I really enjoy it. Blessed effort Trio: Snyder Goyer Nolan, because they managed to shoot a powerful superhero movie and I'm not surprised that I liked, because principal or not, Mr. Nolan does not disappoint me. Neither Snyder, because somehow manages to entertain us with his movies and this has made him do.
    The
    The new Superman is, for better and for worse, a grand ENTERTAINMENT. The downside may be that the story of Kal-El is well known, the same way you came to the earth and all that, but had the ability Goyer innovarla aesthetic treatment plot, but can lead to messes.
    From the technical standpoint, The Man of Steel is an outstanding film.
    In between, light, fire and much destruction, perhaps too much, I think why not cheer Snyder in his movies. Here nothing but more blood lacks.
    Nostalgia should not prevent us from recognizing the work of the composer bestial header Nolan, Hans Zimmer I mean, always very well shot and seasoned with his music.
    Good deal, good technology and music bill but what Nolan and Goyer have done with Superman? For they have gone beyond the mere update and have given the hero and his entire mythology a more realistic, but more mature severoy.

With that, and especially with everything else, The Man of Steel is, not without doubts a thirtysomething as the undersigned will arouses nostalgia gravitational force exerted by the Richard Donner-tape the best Superman to the date in my opinion. Man of Steel is excessive, in its form and in its duration, overloaded, noisy and with a vocation of seriousness and solemnity that kills that eternal innocence endearing character that Christopher Reeve did. That loses but wins more.
    I think I speak for many when I say that at least this movie is better than the last, Superman Returns, that bore more than entertain.
    But when a verdict, we must not forget that this has only just begun. Still hope to see more.
    My Score: 9.3
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birthMan of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birth comes just at the time when Krypton’s society is fracturing under the fear inspired by Jor-El’s prediction that the planet’s end is nigh. An attempted military coup by General Zod (Michael Shannon) sets into motion a series of fateful events that see young Kal-El raised on Earth, where he is warned by his adoptive parents (Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) that his god-like alien powers will one day force him to make a choice about how he will change the world for better or worse. And when Zod and his minions suddenly appear in Earth’s orbit, ready to finish what was started on Krypton, Kal-El/Clark Kent realizes that his prophesied moment of choice has now arrived. As was hoped for by many, Man of Steel is a fine marriage between the rich character-centric storytelling of Dark Knight Trilogy architects Chris Nolan and David S. Goyer, and the signature visual talents of director Zack Snyder. The movie is very much “Superman Begins” in terms of its narrative approach and structure; however, in terms of themes and tone the film achieves its own identity as an insightful, reverent and effectively relatable Superman story. Are there liberties taken with certain details of the costume, origin story or character relationships? Of course. But then again; this is a fresh start to present a new Superman to a modern world and in that, Man of Steel ultimately succeeds. Visually, this is Snyder’s most impressive film yet and it looks pretty stunning in 3D. Everything from Kryptonian culture and technology to the way Superman’s powers (and the impossible physics surrounding them) operate looks on point and believable (enough) in a real-world context. Add to that an abundance of visual iconography and head nods to both the comics and Richard Donner’s seminal films (in particular Superman II) and it’s clear that Man of Steel‘s director has true love, understanding and appreciation for the subject matter at hand. The action sequences while at times a bit too CGI-heavy are pretty epic in nature and certainly deliver on that perennial fanboy desire to see a film that depicts how super-powered beings would look and feel battling it out in a real-world setting. The wonderful pacing, editing, smart selection of scenes and abundance of action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly; although by the climax, seeing flying men get punched through buildings over and over again might have you checking your watch. The score by Dark Knight composer Hans Zimmer is phenomenal and heightens the film every turn, while also establishing yet another new-age superhero theme to replace a classic favorite (John Williams’ Superman theme from the Donner films). At the same time, Man of Steel is not without some noticeable narrative flaws. The script can be very “comic-bookish” in some scenes of dialogue, and the jumps in time and place during the first act are not as cohesive as they were in Batman Begins. Clever editing and speedy movement earlier on often comes at the price of effective narrative development. In short: if you were one of those people who were hung up on the question of how Bruce Wayne made it back to Gotham after escaping prison in Dark Knight Rises, you’ll find similar gripes with Man of Steel. Thankfully, the studio and filmmakers pull the same magic trick they did with the Batman franchise by casting an impressive array of highly-talented actors, who help elevate the weaker points of the script. Meanwhile, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe add Oscar-caliber gravitas and heart to the film as Superman’s two sets of parents. Crowe gets a substantial amount of screen time to really flesh-out the character of Jor-El like never before, while Lane and Costner totally carry the family drama subplot, which is the most moving and beautiful element of the story. Even military side-characters like Genearl Swanwick, On the whole, this movie is exactly the sort of experience that many Superman fans have been asking for, with the added benefit of having some smart storytellers providing fresh insight into why the character is one of the most iconic fictional creations out there. Like Nolan and Christian Bale’s first Batman outing, Snyder and Cavill’s first crack at Superman isn’t a homerun (we’ll call it a triple), but having succeeded in re-introducing the franchise to the core. Expand
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    After watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the only score that matters, and that is exactly what you should be paying attention to if you are an undecided Superman fan who's skeptical whether or not thisAfter watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the only score that matters, and that is exactly what you should be paying attention to if you are an undecided Superman fan who's skeptical whether or not this movie will deliver.

This might have been pre-programmed in my own mind as to how great this movie was, considering the list of failures so far in 2013. Biggest of note, would be Iron Man 3, but those details will be more suited for it's own review which I plan on writing soon. The pace, writing/script/story and amazing action/effects is what makes this movie one of the best of 2013 so far. A massive redemption overshadowing the must forget "Superman Returns" which hung on the thread of Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Lex Luther. General Zod was the perfect choice as the super villain for this franchise launch(hopefully it's successful enough to be a new franchise), and was well played by Michael Shannon. His female concubine was nearly equally as impressive, her sexiness and powerful warrior spirit pumped just the right amount of juice into what a mighty pair of foes should be like for Superman to face.

The background story was touching, well written and was perfectly balanced not to bore your eyeballs out in meaningless cry baby scenes of over-emotion(IE Tobey Maguire's Spiderman trilogy). No one would have been a better fit for Jor-El than Russell Crowe. Krypton and it's people/technology have never been portrayed in such great detail and special fx. This movie, as a Superman movie SHOULD, never skimps on the epic action that is the god like red caped hero.

So if you're not a pompous, over-arrogant, jaded, over-critical critic and are a huge DC comic/Dark Knight series fan, then this movie is a MUST SEE. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are more like the critics, not the users who write reviews here, move along as a cheesy romantic comedy might be more up your alley.
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of steel is truly a master piece. Snider has revived an amazing hero universe and made it special. The critics have called this film average but the public love it. This film is a piece of art.
  53. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's face it folks, there has not been a great Superman movie since Christopher Reeves soared the screens in 1978. With a new reboot of the Man of Steel, we can anticipate it as either being very good or really bad. The big critics seem to agree with such a notion. They either liked it or hated it. There is no middle ground. For me, the revived super hero film is something to admire again with a fresh slate.

Many of the strengths of this new Superman is its imaginative creativity on how it focuses on both the hero's struggles and his origin. The opening sequence of Krypton is simply a stunning visual feast that puts the compacted ice cave from the past Superman films to shame. Here, Zack Snyder and the VFX team has given us a world with spaceships, monsters, people, battles, and ultimately life and destruction. In other words, the beginning sets the tone in plot and action, like any good superhero flick should. The rest of the film is dedicated to how the protagonist learns of his past and how he evolves from an outcast with special abilities to something more. While this is sounds familiar, writer David S. Goyer gives us more back story, filling factors that were never really explored in other movies of the franchise. One such example is rather than jumping ahead with the famed Lex Luther villain, this movie's plot introduces an antagonist that has seemed to slip into oblivion...General Zod from the home world of Krypton. Like with the League of Shadows for Batman, this establishes hero's first and most important villain that has come to haunt him...a blast from the past so to speak.

Zack Snyder as director has an eye for stunning visual effects and knowing how to form a wide scope of imagination (just watch 300 and Watchmen). He also knows how to create action sequences worth remembering. Believe me, they are abundant in this movie, but they are not overbearing like in a Michael Bay film. There is a reason to them for the plot. The one thing that I seem to enjoy about the most of this movie is Hans Zimmer's musical composition. While it is unfair to say that it is better than what John Williams did in 1978, he makes something memorable and uplifting. Though doubtful, it would be appropriate for him to receive some accolades for it.

The cast in this movie is full of big names and stars. They range from the popular Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Amy Adams to the small players like Christopher Meloni, Michael Shannon, and Laurence Fishburne. Each appear to fit their parts well, but some are greater than others. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane turn in some subtle and believable performances as Superman's human parents. Whereas Russell Crowe seems to be playing himself more or less as Jor-el and Michael Shannon as General Zod has the overgrowing tendency of swelling up with anger like a child who's toy has been taken from him. Amy Adams is a little old than what I imagine for Lois Lane, but she is still lovely and plausible. Henry Cavill as Superman is the man who carries the film. He is gentle in his role and plays the outcast side of the Man of Steel well. As a superhero, he appears a bit emotionless. Then again, Superman was not known for showing much emotion.

Though I kind of have mixed feelings about the casts' performances, I am bothered the most by the style of storytelling. In comparison to the linear story method used in the 1978 film, this movie jumps around from different scenes in the first hour that seem not to relate or make sense. The accompanied flashbacks thrown in of Superman's childhood on earth makes it even more perplexing. Fortunately, the second half of the film makes up for the confusion that the first act and a half make. All things considering, "Man of Steel" has started a potentially promising new restart for Superman.
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    EPIC there is no other word to describe it! By FAR the best super hero movie ever made! And by FAR the best movie of the year!
    I believe the critics went to watch another movie cause else something is seriously wrong with them!

Worth every penny I spent to watch it! Should be oscarized! and Snyder is a true visionary I'll give it 20/10 if I could!
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he isThis movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he is at the beginning and turning into the Superman/Clark Kent that we are more familiar with... all twinkling eye and the boy scout smile by the end.

But really, the action and speed and power of the fight sequences are really astounding. You believe this man is THAT strong and THAT fast.

Word of warning. See it in 2-D. If I had seen it in 3-D, I would have thrown up It seems the bad reviews are mostly from people who saw it in 3-D. This thing moves, people, and if I had seen it in 3-D, it would have been too much of a good thing.

My final verdict: Better than Avengers (a tiny little bit), as good as the Dark Knight (maybe a little tiny bit worse), and as good as the 1978 Superman (maybe a little tiny bit better). Better than the first Iron Man and the Spider Man and X-Men films (by a good margin). Makes Green Lantern look like something drawn by my infant son.
  56. Jun 14, 2013
    Epic...Finally a good Superman, alot of action and epic special effects. The visual was perfect. For me this is the movie of the year...Plz sequel and justice league ASAP
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie felt shorter to me than the run-time. As for some complaints about not resolving relationships and such, this movie is meant to establish such relationships and complications, so they can be explored and resolved in the sequels, right? Superman has been around for 75 years, so I think it is hard for some viewers to recognize that this movie presents us with a neophyte hero this is the first time he's wearing the suit and making tough decisions. As long as the character grows into the icon in the sequels, then it's a good thing. Do we really want a character, in an origin story, that has nowhere to develop? And that's what this movie felt like to me, an introduction to Superman, not a summation of the character.

I give it 8.5 out of 10 (rounding up to 9 because I'm a geek). It's a solid movie with all the action anyone could have wanted (too much for some, but great for me, bring it on). It doesn't reinvent superhero movies but Man of Steel is certainly among the best of the genre. Sadly, the hopes and the hype were so high that the fact that it isn't overwhelmingly great has hurt the movie's reception. I recommend it to superhero and action fans without reservation. To those who aren't fans of either genre, I say this. Surrender within twenty-four hours ...

A couple critiques. The shaky-cam effect is kind of jarring, especially in the opening scenes. For a moment, I was wondering if Krypton was having earthquakes in the early scenes, until I realized the camera-work was just a visual conceit. The tremor-vision calms down eventually, and for most of the movie, but returns for little, annoying bursts when least expected. Second, there are a couple actions that Clark takes (or doesn't take i.e. the tornado scene) that seem out of character. Per my point above, about character development, I believe (hope?) that these decisions will be revisited in the sequels.
  58. Jun 15, 2013
    PLEASE DO NOT LET THE CRITICS STRAY YOU FROM SEEING THIS MOVIE....go to it and be the judge of it yourself as I did. What I will say next is strictly my own opinion and pretty much is in line as to what the majority of user reviews have been saying. This movie is great, not without it's flaws but these things can be improved upon in a sequel and In no way take away from the movie enoughPLEASE DO NOT LET THE CRITICS STRAY YOU FROM SEEING THIS MOVIE....go to it and be the judge of it yourself as I did. What I will say next is strictly my own opinion and pretty much is in line as to what the majority of user reviews have been saying. This movie is great, not without it's flaws but these things can be improved upon in a sequel and In no way take away from the movie enough to make it deserve a score of 55....this just boggles my mind. A few cheesy lines from military personnel and sometimes not clear action sequences are not enough to make this movie a fail. And after rewatching Superman 2 and Superman Returns last night I can fully say that Henry Cavill IS superman and Snyder has done a great job. I'm not going to rant on about anything else, just got watch the movie yourself especially if the critics have turned you off from it...I think you will be a bit surprised. Expand
  59. Jun 16, 2013
    This is the worst movie I have seen in years. It is over the top noise and blowing up stuff. It was grey and noisy at best and the dialog was almost pathetic. It was chopped up, badly edited, horribly written. I can not understand all the good reviews written for this film. It has been years since I walked out on a movie, but I walked out on this one. I could not stand the over theThis is the worst movie I have seen in years. It is over the top noise and blowing up stuff. It was grey and noisy at best and the dialog was almost pathetic. It was chopped up, badly edited, horribly written. I can not understand all the good reviews written for this film. It has been years since I walked out on a movie, but I walked out on this one. I could not stand the over the top battle scenes one second longer. Way too dragged out. Horrible movie! Absolutely horrible. Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    the first part of the film is a bit clueless but the second part starts with a quarter turn and can not be stopped
    for me the film is really good but I was expecting something amazing but what I saw wasn't rotten but the film was a film that mixed superman and 2012
    but otherwise good work snyder and nolan
  61. Jun 16, 2013
    Extreme disappointment to say the least. After a rocking Iron Man 3, Amazing Spiderman and Avengers, this is the exact opposite. Pathetic direction by Zack Snyder the film lacks soul and actors mouth dialogues for the sake of saying it, without any emotional connect. Dialogues are ridiculous and childish, and the action/special effects is quite boring/repetitive actually. NothingExtreme disappointment to say the least. After a rocking Iron Man 3, Amazing Spiderman and Avengers, this is the exact opposite. Pathetic direction by Zack Snyder the film lacks soul and actors mouth dialogues for the sake of saying it, without any emotional connect. Dialogues are ridiculous and childish, and the action/special effects is quite boring/repetitive actually. Nothing earth-breaking or new for those of us who have seen Avengers, Spiderman or Iron Man. Screenplay is very haphazard, going to and fro between flashbacks and present day without clarity. Some scenes appear out of nowhere. Most disappointing is the climax...after lots of punching and destroying buildings, Superman kills the villian by twisting his head!! Couldn't he have done it the minute he met this guy? The Superman series is clearly not in safe hands. Someone like David Fincher could breath fresh life into it. Please hire him for the next. Expand
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally, Superman pitched in epic battle doing things we have only imagined from still images in comics or animated films. While I hope to see more of the backstory develop over the course of the trilogy, this is definitely a movie not to be missed and evidence once again that the critics have no idea what the audience wants in an action packed film. Best film of the summer!
  63. Jul 22, 2013
    This movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. EveryoneThis movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. Everyone conversation to him is 'what it means to be a hero' or 'your purpose in life with these powers'. There is no real dialogue. The story does the Batman Begins approach having flashbacks to parts of his life, giving insight on the character's past and doing the beginnings of him becoming the hero. It doesn't do as well and while some flashbacks are well done, most become rather boring.

The special effects and a few good action scenes before it becomes too much are the only things that hold this movie up. This movie fails to reach to the true potential of what it promised and what it could have been.
  64. Jun 26, 2013
    Man of steel is so great those critics realy nothing I mean the story was great the cast was good and henry vavill was perfect as superman for someone who just stepped on the scene okay he aint no christian bale or robert Downey jr but he is on the right way love this movie thanks to this my love for superman grew even stronger
  65. Jun 23, 2013
    This is by far the best depiction of the Superman origin story ever put on screen. The critics are dead wrong about this movie, I simply cannot understand what is going on in their heads. This isn't a Donner/Lester sequel, this isn't Superman Returns, it's a brand new Superman origin story. Just watch it, you won't regret it. It also deserves at least two viewings to get at all the nuancesThis is by far the best depiction of the Superman origin story ever put on screen. The critics are dead wrong about this movie, I simply cannot understand what is going on in their heads. This isn't a Donner/Lester sequel, this isn't Superman Returns, it's a brand new Superman origin story. Just watch it, you won't regret it. It also deserves at least two viewings to get at all the nuances of the epic SF scope the movie sets up, which is also my only gripe with Man of Steel it crams maybe a little bit too much into one movie, which makes the dialogue feel "stiff". However, on the second viewing you notice that almost every spoken sentence makes sense and carries weight, adding meaning and detail to a very thought through story. Excellent reboot. Expand
  66. Jun 25, 2013
    bcos i am superman i felt good here watching this movie
    so i rate this movie full explicit of kryptonian with maximum green score
    and have a good time
  67. Jun 26, 2013
    Welcome to the Planet"

VERY happy to report that Man of Steel was a VERY satisfying movie. 9/10 for sure. Really wish I could have seen it on opening day instead of reading reviews, listening to feedback that almost put another image of the movie in my mind. But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit
    Welcome to the Planet"

But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit off.

But all in all, really happy as a Superman fan to see so much of his sci-fi mythos incorporated. For people's reactions to his existence being similar to that shown in the earliest depictions of him, late 1930s, early 1940s.

And for some witty one liners. If you are still hung up on the variant of the character you saw in either the 1950s TV series or the first two Christopher Reeve movies, you will be disappointed. I want to see the movie again. Indeed I do
  68. Jun 26, 2013
    first, english is not my mother tongue so forgive me my mistakes. and lets start with the critic of superman, the well as it seems, most discussed and most dividing comic book adapting movie so far.

which is basiclly zacks snyders doing. cause like not a lot of other directors, he provokes people into making a stand for their opinion, no matter if its postiv or negativ on his behalf. its simple and easy: you love or you hate a zack snyder movie, there is no inbetween. no "thx, it was nice but left no impression whatsoever" movie, like we have a lot going on nowadays.
    the story was solid, logical and easy to follow for people who never heard of superman before, and even for fans of the comics, it wasn't boring thx to the non linear story telling of supermans childhood. the glimpses of the past give the viewer a good look into the brooding and drifting beeing, that superman is at the beginning of the story. and helps understand why he is living this vagabond live and not already is the great superhero you would expect.
    the cast was perfect and everyone showed his best in portraing his/her character. the action was epic, but, and there the movie lost the one point to the perfect 10 with me, it was a little to much. means 10 minutes lesser action and 10 minutes more character moments would have made the movie perfect. the music was, like always with hans zimmer, brilliant. it set the right tone to every scene.
    and no, it was not a colourful or witty movie, like the old ones with christopher reeves. it was serious and dark. but this is what made the movie so enjoyable. cause we are not lving in colourful and witty times. and no one wants to see a bing bang comic book hero anymore. there not believable and they are not human.
    the outstanding part of the movie was done by henry cavill. he made the main character, an alien, human and relatable. not with grand gestures, not with wits or charms. but by showing, under the hardest circumstances that he has not only the looks to play superman but also the acting skills,espacialy with his small but honest facetts ins his face. playing with a cast where several members were oscar nominated more than once and even win the oscar more than once in some cases is already huge. but having more than the half of the movie green and blue screen time, more than his share of physical action and the weight of one of the most iconic characters in comic book and movie history on his shoulders, given all that, he realy did a super human beeing job. cause his superman is more human than some of the humans surrounding him. and he's believable. and the bright honest smile he gives at the end of the movie, when he finaly turns into clark kent (no, not into superman, into his alter ego), gives us hope to see more of this in a sequel that may come. it gives us a glimps of the charm, the witts and the humanity we're to expect.
    so this movie and his main character did their best, to bring a new superman on screen. one that is relatable to the 21 centuries. and to all the critics out there, you realy should watch it a second time and you should watch closely....cause for me, you haven't understood the movie at all. which is bad, considering your line of work.
  69. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. incredible movie,incredible soundtrack,incredible action!Best superman movie ever seen.Henry cavill is ideal,Russell crowe is amazing and the action?Ohh is unstoppable! Expand
  70. Jul 1, 2013
    When I have first time heard about new superman, i thought it's a crap. But film is awesome, really I don't like superman franchise but this film is really good
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    This movie had great special effects, but the plot, the characters, the acting, the rest was all just meh. I don't ever feel like I care about any of the characters. There was no amazing performance by any of the actors to blow someone away like Heath Ledger as The Joker. This was just a summer blockbuster to make money, not a good movie and kickoff of a franchise.
  72. Jun 22, 2013
    I am since my childhood, the first film of a powerful personality I've seen about the super man
    Frankly Marvel abuses figures from DC figures
    The reason is obvious
    Directors of DC
    Stronger than Spider man and Hulk
    BY ADIL KHOJAH SAUDI ARABIYA
  73. Jun 22, 2013
    I think a lot of movie critics are being too harsh with this one. I like the darker tone of thos movie and a found the characters very interesting. I do agree the fight sceenes were over done. Overall I really enjoyed this movie.
  74. Jun 26, 2013
    Good movie, but fans of comics should be aware that this is slightly different interpretation of the well-known stories. The only thing that upsets is an abundance of special effects. Sometimes you want to say, "Whoa, wait. I do not understand what's going on.". A start. I hope they can bring the franchise to a new level, more than just a summer blockbuster.
  75. Jun 23, 2013
    Wow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. ThereWow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. There were some questionable scenes in the movie like when Louis Lane showed up at the fight scene near the end at Grand Central Station so fast or how they recklessly fight everywhere. But these are just minor things. Nothing like how the critics made it sound it's terrible. It'snot They are terrible at having an opinion. Best Superman yet. Expand
  76. Jul 12, 2013
    All the mythical universe is here, updated and with all respect the character deserves. Good cast, great direction and even emotional moments made this the best movie of 2013 so far.
  77. Jun 24, 2013
    I loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made this movie; the critics seem to hate this taking on the role of a serious sci-fi movie, but that’s what made it for me. I’m certain that the sequel willI loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made this movie; the critics seem to hate this taking on the role of a serious sci-fi movie, but that’s what made it for me. I’m certain that the sequel will have more levity in it, now that Superman has really arrived. The acting was fantastic, the visuals were spectacular, and I found it to be quite moving. Yes, the Christ-imagery is overplayed, but he *is* a modern savior figure. I had low expectations after Superman Returns, but I loved this film.

Also, Russell Crowe nearly stole the show. I’d watch a prequel, “Krypton,” starring him as Jor-El. The opening sequence on Krypton was really, really good!
  78. Jun 30, 2013
    The director manage to deliver a fresh and new story about his past and his present, but it does devolve a bit into repeated action and demolishing cities. In general the movie leaves a good taste of what we can expect in the future.
  79. Jun 15, 2013
    Minutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poorMinutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poor acting? The acting was fine (in fact, beyond just "fine") and I, not known to cry ever, teared up on multiple occasions. Beyond on that, a beautiful and chilling score accompanies this fine movie making it the blockbuster we've been hoping for from the Superman franchise. Go see this movie and forget what the critics are saying. Expand
  80. Jun 26, 2013
    I don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and itI don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and it even gave space for a good measure of character development --lots of film with a higher Metacritic score can't say half of that.

I understand die-hard fans of Superman may expected something else, something more 'faithful' to what the comic may be, and that's why some were disappointed. But I hope you get to this film without expectations, just with the desire to watch something fun and good, then you may enjoy this very, very good film.

Waiting for the blu-ray release.
  81. Jul 1, 2013
    this movie has it al amezing action and some cry moments and amezing acting with russel crowe and the amezing other people in this movie its so good with a lilte sci fie elements and extreme music from hans zimmer its just so good do not lissen to the critics this movie is just sooo amezing so gat of your lasy as and go f.... see this movie
  82. Jun 28, 2013
    Pretty good Superman! Way better than the 3 ordinary 1 before. I can't believe those "pro" gave it a 55. What the heck are they basing their rating on? This is the kind of superheros movie we need. CONTENT! I learned more about Superman then the 3 old craps with their RIDICULOUS vilains. I want more of this kind.
  83. Jun 22, 2013
    Whatever you do, dont let the reviewers crappy score for the movie miss guide you. Superman Returns has score of 75% by reviewers and we all know how bad that movie was. This movie is at least 2 times the movie superman returns is and trust me when I tell you that the movie will not disappoint.
  84. Jun 14, 2013
    THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I giveTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
  85. Jun 25, 2013
    The critics who have rated this down strike me as some what shortsighted. There are some valid complaints in their reviews that I think did detract from the movie (the shaking camera is my biggest pet peeve), but as far as the core of the movie is concerned, this is a Superman movie. No critic can convince me otherwise.
    What the critics who say it fails to live up to the Superman brand
    What the critics who say it fails to live up to the Superman brand do not realize is that this is a new Superman. This is a reboot of the franchise after the abysmal "dead-beat dad" story of "Superman Returns". Very similar to the Dark Knight reboot of Batman, this is a different Superman. He has different issues and a different history, he is not ripped from the comic books or garnered from the Christopher Reeves movies. He is a unique and completely different Man of Steel. That is not to say that he does not share similarities with the previous Superman, of course he does. At his core he is Superman, the Man of Steel, a Kryptonian sent to Earth by his parents to escape a dying world.

In fact my only big complaint is the shaky camera. There are moments when the footage looks as if it is being shot by a guy holding a camcorder and it steals from the theatrical overture as well as making the scene itself nauseating to watch. This only happens maybe a half dozen times in the movie, but every time it happens it is annoying and unwarranted. My only other complaint is minor and that is with some of the story elements regarding Zodd's banishment and his return as well as the so called "Kryptonian Empire". These are minor as I am aware this is a different Superman, but these elements seemed to have been written in too hastily and not thought through properly.
    Aside from that this is an Epic movie and I look forward to the sequel. Also eagle eyed viewers will catch a few easter eggs in the movie hinting at some great future possibilites, most notably was the LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises logos cleverly shown during some of the fighting.
  86. Jul 16, 2013
    The movie we all have been waiting for. It's just incredible and much better when you see it twice. Amazing action, spectacular visual effects, tremendous acting, powerful soundtrack and well composed story. I must say that Antje Traue was one of my favourite and Henry Cavill is, by far, the best Superman after Christopher Reeve. 10/10
  87. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely love, every actor was perfect for the part, Man of Steel is made of legend. He resurrected the Superman's mythos. All in this movie was worthy of attenction
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course, while all this is going on, the evil (and programmed) General Zod threatens Earth’s very existence. The first part of the film is filled with someMan of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course, while all this is going on, the evil (and programmed) General Zod threatens Earth’s very existence. The first part of the film is filled with some excellent Clarke Kent and Krypton back stories that were elevated by the performances of Kevin Costner (Jonathon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El); the two father’s of this film. I must give Henry Cavill a hand for maintaining the win streak of fantastic Superman performances. While Christopher Reeve captured the charm of Superman and Brandon Routh did a slightly brooding interpretation, Cavill excelled at capturing the physicality of the Man of Steel. With all these high marks remaining constant; the beautiful introduction gave way to bloated, explosive action sequences. The action was unhinged and needed some serious taming, because it didn’t afford the filmmakers anytime to develop our other characters or elevate the plot. And the story itself, as effective as it may be, didn’t really cover any new ground. This Zack Snyder is a director who can always create a nice looking film, the world of Krypton in particularly is brought beautifully to the screen. He’s also always able to focus on those minute visual details like those frame-for-frame shots from Watchmen and 300 that were taken straight from the comic book. In this case I-Hop restaurants and other familiar settings litter the background of every scene to make the audience aware of the ‘real world’ setting in which this movie takes place. These are all nice splashes, but ultimately he is never able to look at the big picture: Story, Plot and Character! These are the things that truly determine the strength of a film, everything else is secondary. It’s unfortunate that the action and aesthetics took precedence, but this was decent summer entertainment that should be seen on the big screen. Expand
  89. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a great re-imagining of the Superman origin story and gave a fresh taste combined with tons of action to make a true entertaining popcorn movie of the summer.

Zack Snyder is a loyal comic book fan and those of you that did not like Watchmen did not read the comics. He was hired for one real purpose, to breathe action and special effects into Superman, something he excels at.

Moviegoers, and I call them that to separate them from fans which have a different take on Superman, had spoken at the close of Superman Returns. They said things from, "too much like Christopher Reeve" to "not enough action" to "Superman is stale, let him let loose". Warner Brothers listened and they gave you the opposite of a Christopher Reeve Superman. In Man of Steel, Superman did all of those things, he let loose his rage and fought an army of people with the same abilities. No Lex Luthor, no mind games, all action. We got a mythology rich in science fiction story not to mention we got Russell Crowe as daddy Superman Jor-El who got lots of screen time to show us what the house of El can do!

The casting was terific! Henry Cavill's Superman is bold, fresh and lets face it, he looks like Superman. Amy Adams is much more level headed and has a great deal more of common sense then Kate Bosworth did as Lois Lane. She is believable in the role. I loved Brandon Routh and thought he was a great Superman, but he was Christopher Reeve, so if we are going to move beyond Christopher Reeve then Cavill makes a nice contrast. Laurence Fishburn as Perry White! Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as the Kents. It all made for rich storytelling and well acted roles. The only thing better was imagining who was going to be in the next movie and what bad guy was going to get screen time!

If you were hoping for another Superman Returns, then this is not your picture. This is a rollercoaster moving at mach speeds with enough action to give you PTSD by the end of the movie. It's not Shakespeare but it is an iconic comic book character come to life in true comic book fashion. I highly recommend seeing this movie in a movie theater and if possible, spend the extra 10 bucks for iMax.
  90. Jul 4, 2013
    Amazing superman movie,while it could have done with a little bit of light touch still its the superman movie I always wanted. The action was the highlight and man that was amazing.love it,I hope they will continue to give strong action packed movies like this maybe next time with a bit more heart & soul so that it would be perfect.
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    This is the Superman movie people have been waiting years for earnest, not smirking or offering obvious fan service, no camp, no apologizing for the source material at all. The tender moments have true weight and give the viewer a sense for what goes on behind making a Superman his parents, his friends, his experiences growing up, his view on the world, ranging from the great to theThis is the Superman movie people have been waiting years for earnest, not smirking or offering obvious fan service, no camp, no apologizing for the source material at all. The tender moments have true weight and give the viewer a sense for what goes on behind making a Superman his parents, his friends, his experiences growing up, his view on the world, ranging from the great to the terrible. The villains are introduced as evil yet not moustache-twirling caricatures. There is no fat on this movie, everything has its purpose and every character even ancillary ones are given their place in the (Earth's yellow) sun. Expand
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    In my opinion, the best movie adaptation of Superman's origin story to date. It has some awkward editing moments and the action generally drags on for a little to long, but everything else is so well-done that you HAVE to ignore that 55 rating from the critics. Go out and see it for yourself.
  93. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Contains some spoilers)
    After viewing Man of Steel I found that I was talking myself into having a positive reaction for it. Now don't confuse this for a condemnation, there was plenty to like about the newest iteration of the Superman story, but there was a lot to be critical of as well. Let's start with the good stuff.

The most exciting and perfect part of Man of Steel had to be the man himself. Henry Cavill was an excellent choice to play the last son of Krypton. His physical presence never sways far from the center of the film, as it should be when talking about THE superhero of superheroes. Looks, brawn, and a subtle magnetism combine to give us the most believable Superman since the late Christopher Reeve. That said, there was too much brooding and emotional detachment brought to the character this time around. I don't necessarily blame Cavill for this as much as I blame the writer (David S. Goyer) and the director (Zack Snyder). While gritty realism and a darker, foreboding landscape has become the post-9/11 norm in cinema, it does not work in the world of Superman, who has always been an optimistic beacon of hope in the comic and film world. I think a little too much Dark Knight crept into the screenplay and creative input from Goyer and Nolan.
    Other members of the cast were equally excellent in supporting roles. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner deliver as the two fathers of Kal-El/Clark Kent. Michael Shannon makes us almost sympathetic for the formidable General Zod in the end. Amy Adams, while not a standout in this cast, turns out an worthy performance as the tenacious reporter who will eventually steal the heart of Superman.
    Also of note are the stunning visual effects, refreshing when this well done.

Although there was enough in this film to make me hopeful for some even better sequels in the future, there was also enough in this particular film to cause some concern. There was so much content in the form of origin, flashbacks, exposition, and the overly drawn out final confrontation in this film that the pacing suffered as a result. There was simply too much story to tell in too little time. The franchise would have been much better served had they left several backstory elements for future films. Also of concern was the tremendous lack of character development of anyone outside of Superman and Zod. I kept anticipating a scene where we could get some Superman/Lois connection, maybe not a deep emotional bond, but something other than random flirtation. The frantic pacing and need for overlong building destruction was what we got instead. Seriously, if I saw another random building come crashing down I was going to scream. There is no way they can rebuild a city after all that, it would take a century, even with Superman's help.

My greatest irritation with the movie was the way in which Johnathan Kent was killed. Anyone who knows even a little about the story of Clark Kent knows that his adopted father dies when hes a teenager, and it's important to keep that part of the story because it was such a pivotal moment in the character's history. However, to have Jonathan tell Clark to watch him die in a tornado just to protect his secret seemed a little unbelievable. No one, not even Superman, would stand idly by and watch their father die when they could have saved him. Not even to protect his secret, not ever.

All that being said, I thought it was a noble first effort to reboot a storied franchise. The film did an excellent job of setting up a classic superhero in the midst of our modern world. I eagerly await the much higher potential that this story can climb, or fly, to.
  94. Jun 22, 2013
    I guess the development of the story is fast, but is visually awesome and a perfect welcome to the century XXI to Superman, I think it fits to this new era.
  95. Jun 24, 2013
    If you enjoyed The Avengers & Iron Man 3, then you haven't seen MAN OF STEEL yet. This movie up the ante for the superheroes genre. The action alone leaves all others in the dustbin. While all other superheroes in recent past were all patterned after Donner's Superman films (except for Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy), this one is not. You won't find Robert Downey Jr.'s humor here. HenryIf you enjoyed The Avengers & Iron Man 3, then you haven't seen MAN OF STEEL yet. This movie up the ante for the superheroes genre. The action alone leaves all others in the dustbin. While all other superheroes in recent past were all patterned after Donner's Superman films (except for Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy), this one is not. You won't find Robert Downey Jr.'s humor here. Henry Cavill's elusive "brooding" take of the comic character is far different from Christopher Reeve's charismatic friendly turn because Snyder's darkly-serious MAN OF STEEL is not Donner's straight-from-the-comic-book colorful SUPERMAN. Despite the stark contrast, Cavill was able to capture the magic back that was long-missing since Chris Reeve hang up his bright red cape. Cavill on film, you would swear, on several scenes and at certain angles, looking like the late great Reeve. He has the same convincing intensity onscreen as the late actor. You wouldn't wince but nod in familiar recognition that this actor is indeed the Superman we all missed all these years despite of many others' attempt to measure up with Reeve's indelible iconic take. We remember the media were all hailing Brandon Routh's close resemblance to Chris Reeve but after getting picked & cast for this reason in 2006's SUPERMAN RETURNS, it turned out he didn't look the part & came across unconvincing. Indeed, good things come to those who are willing to wait & the wait paid off for Henry Cavill and for this reboot. It's everything we ever wanted from a Superman film minus the cheesiness. With today's technical advances, Snyder & company were able to re-imagine for us what our favorite hero could be without limits. Forget about what critics are saying about MAN OF STEEL. They did not get a pay cut from the film's promoters that's why. Instead, listen to the movie-going public who were right to give it an A- rating in Cinemascore. In Rotten Tomatoes, SUPERMAN RETURNS got a 75% rating from the critics while MAN OF STEEL gets only 56%? Go figure... Expand
  96. Jun 25, 2013
    I been waiting for a perfect superman my whole life
    and yes i got to see it in Man of steel
    The story was perfect. this is exactly how one should say a superman story
    itss just perfect
    the movie had everything from emotions to actions
    i give a 10 on 10 for this movie
    and waitng to watch it the 5th time in theatre
  97. Jun 30, 2013
    Awesome movie!!! Left us wanting for more. Can't wait for MAN OF STEEL 2. We wanna see more of the Clark & Lois romance in the sequel since there's less of it in this one. The action was just over the top! We came in famish for a good movie & came out fat-bellied with satisfaction, gluttons at best, wanting more of that cinematic buffet greatness. MAN OF STEEL is the beast of allAwesome movie!!! Left us wanting for more. Can't wait for MAN OF STEEL 2. We wanna see more of the Clark & Lois romance in the sequel since there's less of it in this one. The action was just over the top! We came in famish for a good movie & came out fat-bellied with satisfaction, gluttons at best, wanting more of that cinematic buffet greatness. MAN OF STEEL is the beast of all superhero action movies we kid you not! We love this movie so much that we clamor for the next installment to be as great if not greater. We want perhaps a Brainiac-controlled billionaire Lex Luthor versus billionaire Bruce Wayne in the mix as well as the introduction of Wonder Woman's character to pave the way for THE JUSTICE LEAGUE. How will Zack Snyder-David Goyer do it? DC & WB trusted them on the first installment, they couldn't go wrong to leave it up to this team-up for the next ones. Hope Chris Nolan is still on board cuz he does make a difference even for just consultation. Expand
  98. Jul 1, 2013
    By far the best movie for the year 2013. Critics: this is a newer version of the superman, its not a remake but its a reboot to the franchise. It does not necessary have to be in line with all the previous movies or the comic. Way better than Avengers or even iron man.
    Awesome, Legendary & Epic!!!!
  99. Jul 1, 2013
    This was not an easy 10 but it just fits, after thinking about the movie it has a lot more positive things than negative, because if you saw the last superman movie this is a complete revolution, from the hand of masters of science fiction like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan this films looks awesome and for being a superhero has not a predictable screenplay, because they did what Superman wasThis was not an easy 10 but it just fits, after thinking about the movie it has a lot more positive things than negative, because if you saw the last superman movie this is a complete revolution, from the hand of masters of science fiction like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan this films looks awesome and for being a superhero has not a predictable screenplay, because they did what Superman was missing, weakness, humanity that proves he is really affected by being part of the humans, that can be either a disadvantage or an advantage for him.

Apart from the story, also the characters are believable and truly well performed, specially for Michael Shanon and Henry Cavill. The action as well as the scenery are at the height of the movie, and if you are not a superman comic book fan, the history of his origins is gratefully told.

In average this movie really stands out for its production, story and actors, and the only real disadvantages are that for the comic book fans this will not be the ideal movie that sticks perfectly with the origins of superman and also that in some parts Mrs Lane makes the movie a little silly returning to the predictable stuff of a superhero.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.