7.6

1. Jul 1, 2013
    This was not an easy 10 but it just fits, after thinking about the movie it has a lot more positive things than negative, because if you saw the last superman movie this is a complete revolution, from the hand of masters of science fiction like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan this films looks awesome and for being a superhero has not a predictable screenplay, because they did what Superman was missing, weakness, humanity that proves he is really affected by being part of the humans, that can be either a disadvantage or an advantage for him.

Apart from the story, also the characters are believable and truly well performed, specially for Michael Shanon and Henry Cavill. The action as well as the scenery are at the height of the movie, and if you are not a superman comic book fan, the history of his origins is gratefully told.

In average this movie really stands out for its production, story and actors, and the only real disadvantages are that for the comic book fans this will not be the ideal movie that sticks perfectly with the origins of superman and also that in some parts Mrs Lane makes the movie a little silly returning to the predictable stuff of a superhero.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of steel is truly amazing. We get to see the emotion that superman has to the world hes different from the rest of the world as he has a hard time keep his secret. Because he is always saving people.
    The movie is really good as i recommend anybody to watch it A superman fan or not when i went to the cinema with a friend who hates superheroes and he absolutely loved the movie so is
    this movie good no its not its mind blowing. Get out and watch this flick its a really good movie. Expand
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    Man of Steel was an excellent movie, both emotionally gripping, suspenseful, and entertaining! I've seen this Movie twice and looking forward to owning it on DVD. I love the Modern version of superman. His Humility, kindness and moral was moving. I cried a few times thru out the film! I love superman but this by far has got to be my favorite version!
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    Man Of Steel is like a mash up of the two early Superman films, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not going to compare this film to the earlier ones other than to say that this one is more serious in tone, but I liked that. There is nothing wrong with some humor in a film, but when there is an apocalyptic event going on, like in this film and Avengers for example, I don't think humor fits in too well. With billions of dollars in damage and people surely dieing, I don't know why Iron Man would be cracking jokes, but anyway.
    The story starts out on Krypton of course and this is a vision that is brand new. It was very nicely done and I wish this part of the story was actually longer, but it was still good the way it was. Fast forwarding to Earth, Clark's childhood is told in the form of flashbacks. I didn't mind this aspect either. One thing that did bother me somewhat was when he actually becomes Superman(with the suit and all), this part feels rushed. Unlike on Krypton which I felt could've used more build up, but was ok, this part of the film was quick and to the point. Could've used more development. The Characterization that is being mentioned in other reviews is very well done for Kal-El/Clark. This comes at the expense of some of the other characters just because of the screen time taken up, but I don't think it really takes away from the movie. The sequel can be used for more character build up for the supporting cast. The special effects are very well done and FINALLY do we as fans, get a Superman movie with TONS of action.

The final act has a scene or two that some people may or may not like. I didn't mind them and thought they brought a bit more depth to the movie overall.

This was a great action movie, an even greater Superman movie and a great comic book movie. I look forward to the sequel and maybe if this does well, which does deserve the support of fans and non-fans alike, we can see a Justice League movie or a World's Finest Batman/Superman team up in the future.

8/10 overall.
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    I've loved the movie. It's a nice well dine reboot of superman with many details improved from previous versions. I liked it more than many of the Avenger's films (teamed or solo) even more than Spider-Man.
    It lacks the twists of Dark Knight but still effective entertainment.
    Some times the special effects are way too cluttered near the end but let's salute the quality of them.
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    The opening sequence on Krypton is quite spectacular with some truly stunning CGI and some great dialogue. It sets the scene for the entire story and I think it was just about as perfect a beginning we could possibly have had. We then come down to earth (literally) where we find Clark Kent discovering who he is and coming to terms with his powers and what a responsibility that places on his shoulders. Much of this is told in flashback with some great fatherly advice from Kevin Costner. It’s a section of the film that may have lost some (probably due to the lack of explosions) but I really enjoyed it as it gives us a chance to get to know what motivates Clark/Superman, and just what makes him a superhero. The third act, however, is where I had the most trouble. The plot wasn’t hard to follow and the acting was great, particularly Michael Shannon, no, all that was great. The problem was with the fight scenes; why is it necessary to topple skyscrapers and destroy entire city blocks. It put me in mind of climactic battle in ‘The Avengers’ movie; I had the distinct impression I had seen it all before. Yes, it was quite a spectacle but I would have liked something a little more original. But don’t let that distract from the fact it is still a very good film and one I would happily watch again. Top performances, well everybody really but Michael Shannon really does stand out; definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10
  7. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lot taking place on other planets with different technology and had a lot of action and destruction. None of this awesomeness happened in those older movies. Instead, a bunch of stupid crap happened, like Superman flying around the world to turn back time and him sleeping with Lois, which he would never do. The series should've been rebooted a long time ago, and finally it has been. This movie is just as good of a reboot as, if not better than, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. This is the first time I actually felt like Superman in a live-action movie was actually super and awesome and actually had a threat that was worthy of him. And this movie had one of the most exciting and shockingly fantastic climaxes to a movie ever. I don't know how people could not love this film. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    Something tells me that many of the high scores and posts are from some PR firm hired by Warner Bros., because this movie was a train wreck. Anybody with a modicum of taste in a well scripted, paced and directed film would agree. Attempting to bring a Batman-like seriousness to Man of Steel was an EPIC FAILURE! "Batman" had a well executed story! True, it's my opinion...although my teenage boys didn't even like it! That's pretty telling. It's not an awful movie, it just seems to be two distinctly different movies in one. One part, life of a young boy dealing with being different while being raised in a small town (which, was not bad story telling in this film), and the other part, this over the top Michael Bay "Transformers" battle to the death, chock full of extraneous dialogue. Cavill is a "good looking" Superman for the eye candy crowd, in fact in the movie a character of a female cop sheepishly admits to this. However, this Superman is not a lot of fun, in fact he's pretty bland. Perhaps this Clark Kent should spend some time hanging out with "Iron Man" Tony Stark for a lesson in loosening up a bit. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    It could have built on the foundation it laid in the first hour but instead it decided it wanted to be a Roland Emmerich film and became sillier by the minute.
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Another super-hero reboot movie, however this one falls short. It's way too serious for its own good, trying to mimic the tone of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies to no success. It focuses too much on being melodramatic and that brings the whole movie down. The action is interesting at times, mostly when Super Man is fighting his foes in mid-air, but ends relying on huge explosions and disasters rather than satisfying fights. It ends up being too noisy both visually and aurally. But by far the worst thing about this movie is how it doesn't feel like a super-hero movie, but rather some generic alien invasion flick. I never cared about what was going on, the characters failed to grab me in any way, and outside of the occasional cool action scene this movie ended up being a waste of time. It's all so disappointing because this was supposed to bring Super Man back with a new tone. If this is how the rest of the Super Man movies are going to turn out they need to just stop now. It even makes me worry that, if one ever gets made, the future Justice League movie will fail. Expand
  11. Jun 16, 2013
    Man Of Steel. First word to describe it is WOW. Some of the best action and special effects I have ever seen, jaw dropping stuff. Also some really big ideas and themes of being a God among men. I really liked Cavill as Superman as well. However I can't help but compare to things like The Dark Knight and Avengers, and its not as good. It doesn't have the true darkness of Batman and doesn't have the wit and charm of Avengers. I don't think Man Of Steel has one joke and as good as the action is, maybe there is just too much which takes away the impact. However I still really enjoyed it and it has to be seen at the cinema. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    So I’ve been gunning for this reboot ever since Zach ‘my films are what they use to break people in Gitmo’ Snyder was announced as the director. Which is why it’s so hard to admit that the latest chapter in the DC cannon is actually quite good.

However, it is some small consolation that this appears to be the direct result of Batman saviours Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer keeping
    Snyder’s most garish excesses in check. Instead, they’ve crafted an origin story that is both familiar and new, from an overlong opener on a dying Krypton to a childhood in Kansas told in flashback to the rise of a superhero pitted against the only surviving members of his race as warmongering zealot General Zod tracks him down.

Without doubt, Man of Steel is weakest when Snyder’s hyperkinetic style is unleashed. The jittery camerawork and occasionally half-baked effects detract from the otherwise bone-crunching hurly burly as near immortals throw each other across small towns and bustling Metropoli as DC seem determined to outdo their Marvel rivals in terms of onscreen destruction.

It’s no surprise that Michael Shannon wears the cloak of relentlessly genocidal psychopath like a glove in yet another role that he seems to have been born to play. Like Shannon, Russell Crowe sidelines memories of his predecessor as noble Jor-El. Acquitting himself with equal aplomb despite even greater scrutiny is Henry Cavill as the titular Man of Steel. Unlike the let’s face it, terminally dull goody two shoes Supermen of previous incarnations, Cavill’s Superman is good to his core thanks to his upbringing, but also unmistakably human to boot. Not for him endless martyrdom and humble forgiveness this Supes has a temper.

The rest of the cast (largely quality character actors plucked from primetime TV) put their backs into necessarily one dimensional characters. Oddly, only the usually likeable Amy Adams fails to light up the screen, leaving Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane the as yet unsurpassed benchmark.

Some will miss the underpants (that’s right, they’ve been banished, at least from the outside), Jimmy Olsen, and other much-loved tropes, not least John Williams’ iconic theme music. But, nostalgic as I am for the Superman of old, it’s hard to deny that Hans Zimmer’s effort are at least as stirring.

It’s clear from the grounded look of the film (only the heat vision jars) that Nolan’s Batman will not form part of the much vaunted Justice League movie. This isn’t just a Superman reboot the fate of the entire DC multiverse rests on Man of Steel’s box office. And so it is grudgingly that this sceptic must confess to being very keen to see more.
  13. Jun 17, 2013
    Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend. Can't believe the critical reception. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Critics are conflicted but I felt "Man of Steel" was the best movie I had seen in a long while. It's not big on plot development (let's face it, pretty much everyone watching it knows how Superman started) and some liberties are taken with characters (not too noticeable though), but it was a masterful synthesis of action, screenplay, and meaning that will take you away if you let yourself become immersed in it.

I'm just glad it didn't go down the old dreaded path of "Superman is invincible until exposed to a magical sample of glowing moon-rock", which has been the bane of practically everything Superman to date.
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    Extremely entertaining. A very interesting look at the world of Superman. Very much enjoyed the action sequences and the film's cinematography. Lost me a few times with it's cheesy moments, but that's expected from a summer blockbuster. Looking forward to seeing it again.
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    Went into this expecting to be disappointed, honestly. With all the super hero movies coming out I didn't expect much. Man of Steel was shockingly good though. Lots of early buildup, an amazing soundtrack, and the last half hour of the movie was raw action. I don't know how in the world any critics rate this lower than a 65 or 70...
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    Severely underrated by the critics. This is by far the best action film I've seen in a long time. The acting was superb and the screenplay was excellent. The IMAX 3D version was spectacular. A critic called this soulless, and I couldn't disagree more. Man of Steel is an epic action movie with heart, soul, and depth.
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I didn't find it too "serious" or lacking humor the way film critics did, as I felt that fit the story. I think my few gripes and why I didn't give it a 10 are simply with the direction of storytelling following the transition to Earth. I feel like the flashback approach felt way too choppy and unnecessary. I feel it could have all been settled with even one simple flashback upon him in the water that lead to coming back out after, minus the end scenes with his father that could have then been brought about in a "finalizing" flashback after. Also, him finding the ship, due to the choppiness, felt extremely rushed and out of place. I'm hoping for and extended cut that gives slightly more story there and transition. Also, while it was necessary for the current story, Lois Lang's story felt arbitrary overall, with her almost put into scenes and events by the "hand of God". She didn't get time to really be her OWN character, instead more there ONLY to develop Clark. Those minor gripes aside, the rest of the story-telling was, especially everything related to Krypton, Zod, and the interaction and plot there-in was stellar! Expand
  19. Jun 15, 2013
    As a huge Superman fan i went into this movie with astronomical expectations. So high, that i really thought there was no way they could be met. Im happy to say that this movie blew them away. Superman was handled so perfectly in this film. He's not the big blue boyscout, but is actually a conflicted man that's tired of always having to hide who he really is. I loved the characters in this movie. Jor El was great, The Kents were great, and Zod and Faora were mazing! I loved the new backstory for Kal, it was a very interesting take on a story we've all heard before. Now, where this movie really wowed me was the action. Never before have we seen a Superman movie like this. Heck, in the previous films he hardly punched anything. So to have about an hour of super good epic actiony goodness was amazing. The effects were great, the fight was epic, and the fallout from the battle is incredible. I really don't know where they can go from here, because this movie really pulled out everything. The movie, however is not without it's issues. The Lois Lane relationship feels a bit forced and the final ending sequence has some things that i would have changed to more properly follow the tone set up but the conclusion of the epic battle. Overall though, i really think this movie will make a believer out of anyone and i hope more people can finally enjoy my favorite hero of all time, Superman. Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    If you like action films and could care less about character development, pacing or good acting you'll love Man of Steel. If however you cringe when seeing trite motifs then you will likely come to hate Man of Steel before baby Kal-El even launches off Krypton… Knowing the power and past works of the creative minds at the top of this project I just expected a lot more than was delivered. The positive take away is that it's not a bore, the action does not stop. Just don't expect to really care much at the end. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    I had high expectations going into this movie, then got a little skeptical when seeing all the critic reviews. But after seeing it all I can say it wow. The movie from the start keeps your heart going and you engaged. The story was brilliant and more scientific then the older superman movies. The action was a lot more than I expected but it was good because it all made sense. The special effects were magnificent. The actors that they casted were just great. Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, and Kevin costner did just spectacular jobs. The music is perfectly done by Hanz Zimmer and fits this movie really nicely. Go and see this movie. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    The best film of the year! The best superhero movie since The Dark Knight! We finally have an epic superman movie with great visual effects, action, actors, and villain! When you compare this to other films: Its way better than the stupid Superman Returns; Iron Man 3 was ok which shouldn't had a lot of money; Avengers was very good but tired of watching it (never with Man of Steel); But it is close to The Dark Knight! The Dark Knight is still the best superhero movie of all time! This is one of my favorite films of all time! It has humor but little because of the serious tone brought by Christopher Nolan who is a badass! But the humor was good enough! General Zod played by Michael Shannon, is the best villain since The Joker! I am still trying know what the critics were watching because the ones such as Richard Roeper, and others, dont understand of how a DC movie should look like rather than thinking this movie should be like Marvel movies! Screw Marvel! Dont listen to the critics and have your own opinion about this movie! Go see it! We need this movie to kick Iroman 3's ass in the boxoffice to prove that Man of Steel is the biggest movie of the year! Expand
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    This was not only the best superhero movie to date but also the most thrilling summer movie in memory. Fans of Superman will be very pleased by his treatment in this film and hopefully chase any lingering angst from the previous debacle .This is also a movie for anime fans as this is the Dragonball movie they deserve. I can not give a higher recomendation. See this movie!
  24. Jul 9, 2013
    I do not agree with the critics, a film based on a super heroes like batman or superman this check for an audience that child lived with these heroes to siferencia of lasanteriores marvel movies where this child together very public with current this film gives us a nice moment of entertainment and pays the debt he had with us in the previous movie superman
  25. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    The movie was awesome, to say it was a bore you simply aren't a superman fan, excellent job, I hate how critics act like every movie has to have corny jokes, it had a fitting serious tone.
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    I did want to give it 10/10 for making Superman cool again. But film has it's issues. And I get it why critics don't like it. This is a movie with such satisfying action scenes, such great score and feel associated with it. Yes, there could have been more character development, and there is a point where action can get a bit boring. But this is a great foundation for a franchise. Zack Snyder made his best movie to date. And, man, I'm telling you, action sequences in this movie are incredible. Among that there is a great origin story that you can believe in and there are great characters in the movie. This is a diamond like no other, just you wait for the next entry in the series. We might get Superman on a Dark Knight level. And I truly believe that this one delivered too. Expand
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    Probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Henry Cavill was great as Superman and Michael Shannon played a convincing General Zod. The entire story was believable and every aspect of the movie more than delivered its fair share for me.

I will be seeing this movie maybe two or three more times. GO SEE IT!
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Its a bird, its a plane, no- its a reboot. This makeover is raw steak without the sizzle. For some it may be hard to swallow if you're used to Disney themes. Don't look for the cute puppy scenes to sooth your family with at this film, because the producers/director let the ravenous bulldogs out. Its silently operatic and combined with themes from Inception and Dark Night. -Derrick G
  30. Jul 3, 2013
    I found this film great, I think the acting was superb, the pacing of the film was good enough to keep you engaged all the time but at the same time learn allot about the characters and the action sequences were amazing. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema and enjoyed a film as much as this.
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very mature and serious take on the icon that is Superman. It definitely departs from the Donner film, and it has an almost somber tone... which is reflective of the standard set by Goyer and Nolan in the Batman films. I do like the twist on the Lois and Superman (note... not Lois and Clark) such that it eliminates the ruse that is "Clark has glasses, and is completely unrecognizable as Superman" trick.

Cavill fits the role nicely, and is convincing and grounded as Superman. Plus, I really wanted to see Superman as action hero, and boy does it deliver on this front. Almost TOO much punching, but I can forgive this sin, as the previous Supes films seemed to shy away from the fact that this is the most powerful dude on the planet. I knew this film was working when I was actively rooting for Superman to win the day, even though he almost ALWAYS wins the day.

I also can see how this film will set up a sequel nicely, in that Lex Luthor could come in and point to the wreckage that is Metropolis, and blame Superman. This was a great reboot to the DC comic line. Now time for Wonderwoman!
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    Very excited for a very long time to see what Snyder and Nolan could do. Love 300 and the Batman trilogy so I figured this would be a sure fire hit. While it was good and Henry Cavill is an excellent casting of Superman, the movie did get very long. There were so many climaxes that it became exhausting. Seeing this in 3d was probably not necessary and maybe even detracted from the film due to the intentionally unstable camera work. This is definitely a film to see in the theater, but only worthy of a matinee. Obvious as it is, this is still a great launching point for a sequel(s). Expand
  33. Jun 16, 2013
    Superb movie. Nothing like I expected in the sequencing of the storytelling, but a very refreshing change up from the normal superhero "origin" movie. Henry Cavill was tremendous in showing a vulnerability that no one has seen before in Superman. Well done Snyder and Nolan!
  34. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall "Man of Steel" is very entertaining and does a good job encompassing the "Superman" we all know today. However I did have my qualms detailed below (in no particular order).
    Cons:

1. The beginning of the movie was very non-linear with flashbacks and present time, making it mildly difficult to draw connections from Clark Kent's past to his present day situations.

2. Understanding the meaning of a sacrifice from Jonathon Kent to protect Clark's secret was extremely clear, however it was tactfully done to save a dog? I would have been much more satisfied to see the man that bestowed all of his values and ideals to superman die trying to save a human being.

3. When Clark first boarded Zod's ship with Lois, he underwent some type of reaction to the atmosphere in the ship, later referred to as Krypton's atmosphere. Zod goes on to explain to Clark that it is an adverse reaction since Clark has become so acclimated to Earth's atmosphere he cannot sustain his strength in Krypton's. This makes perfect sense, but since Zod made it clear that it was Clark's acclimatization to Earth's atmosphere that was causing his weakness, then why is Clark able to sustain life in space without any problems when space clearly is not composed of the same atmosphere as Earth?

4. Way to much destruction and explosion. Was this a Michael Bay film or a Zack Snyder film. Metropolis, which was not established early enough as the city being pictured, is now completely destroyed. Clark Kent, the ultra-moral and ethical Superman, seemed to have no hesitation or apprehension in destroying anything in his path to fighting Zod. i.e. when Zod threatens Martha Kent, instead of fighting Zod in the open acreage of a farm, Clark sees it fit to carry Zod into urban territory, through a party store, gas station, and into an oil tanker causing tons of destruction and probably multiple injuries or deaths. The Superman I usually picture in my head would most likely deal with his enemies in the least destructive way, with minimal casualties and damage to surrounding structures.

5. Cheesy Dialogue, “Sorry Sir, but I just think he’s kinda hot” Was that really necessary? Everyone watching the movie has eyes and can see for themselves that Henry Cavill is a good looking guy. There were multiple lines like this including Lawrence Fishburne telling his Co-worker to stay while she is pinned under hundreds of pounds of concrete rubble. It was also somewhat off-putting that the Kryptonians had identical dialects/dialogues to humans. These seemingly extremely advanced race from 100,000 years ago talks the exact same way that humans do in the 21st century?

6. At the end of the movie when it flashes back to Clark as a child and his father watching him play with his dog, it is probably confirming the foreshadowing of Clark’s father’s repetitive notion towards the prophetic idea that Clark is destined for great things. But why is he playing with a red towel attached to his back like a cape? Who the hell is he imitating? I assume it’s little red riding hood, because I know when I did that same thing when I was a kid, I was imitating Superman.

7. Zod’s character progressively develops into an evil Superman like nemesis that sports the same powers as Superman and yet Superman cannot be killed and Zod is killed? If I snap Clark Kent’s neck her should die?

Pros:

1. Very entertaining and a lot of back story information for those not exceptionally versed in DC comics like myself.

2. Great ending with Clark Kent killing Zod, effectively illustrating his biological father’s dream for him come true. The bridging of two people. Clark exercised his gift of free choice in killing Zod given to him by his father, and reaped to moral consequences on his conscience after doing it, the result of a human upbringing on earth. Jor-El’s vision of Kal-el being the bridge of two people becomes literal as he is ultimately a bridge of two people in Kal-El and Clark Kent. As well as in his system of beliefs and biological makeup, housing the DNA of a billion Kryptonic people.
  35. Jun 29, 2013
    First of all, I'm in no way a fan of Superman. I haven't watched the previous movies, nor have I read the comics. In fact, I find the character pretty dull an outdated he's way too overpowered, too allmighty. But this movie is a different case. As for the plot, it's still pretty average, not always logical and somewhat too serious, BUT the action here is stellar. From the astonishing opening sequence to the epic in all means final battle the action here is the best I've seen in a long while. Seriously, no one, not the Transformers, and not even the Avengers have destroyed half a city in such a spectacular way. Superman and his foes exchange devastating blows, throw trains at each other and punch through buildings, and that really gives the chills. Another chill-giving aspect is the soundtrack Hans Zimmer just couldn't fail in this department, the score is purely epic. To sum up, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer (director, producer and screenwriter, just in case), considering a pretty weak and bland character they were using as a base, performed admirably, making one of the best blockbuster movies I've seen in a while. Just don't expect a cult classic like the Dark Knight. Expand
  36. Jun 17, 2013
    Is a new generation for Superman.Realism does not mean pessimism.Man of Steel is under the sign of Hope.Clark finally discovered who he is and why he is here.He now knows his real name Kal-El. Film that the world needs these days.A unifying symbol for America and for all peoples 10/10
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    Zack Snyder created the Superman film we needed. He gives us some jaw-dropping visuals and an engaging and emotional story about loneliness and finding your mission in life that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    Henry Cavill totally nailed the role of Superman in every possible way. He has a strong screen presence and gives the character a naivety that makes you relate to him. He has
    morals, but still can get angry, sad and desperate. The rest of the cast is great as well.
    General Zod was written in a very intelligent way because even though he was a force of destruction and violence, you can still understand his motivations.
    Man of Steel has everything to please both comic book aficionados and average movie goers, and is the perfect Superman movie.
  38. Jun 16, 2013
    The movie is great! I felt like I'd seen quite a bit going into the theatre and, I was correct! From watching all the trailers you get the sense that you see alot before going to the big screen but, believe me, the movie was worth it! Great action, awesome soundtrack, and the acting is right on par from each character. For some reason though, there were another of characters from Battle Star Galactica... LOL! Anyway, go see it! Expand
  39. Jul 14, 2013
    It was a great movie. It was greatly directed and the visules were stunning. I never thought any super hero movie would top the dark knight... and even if man of steel might not have to some people it sure came close
  40. Jun 21, 2013
    Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew.Nolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. Expand
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    This ain't yo daddy's Superman. Badass. Now to address the hate.

This film is being torn down by people saying it's both technically terrible, and a disservice to the character. I've got news for ya: f**k Sam Raimi. Y'all want Spiderman with bright colours and comic panels come to life. If you want that, there's Superman Returns, and it was awful. Like every Superman movie except the
    first one, and even that has aged horribly. Go watch the Marvel movies. DC have gotten the two filmmakers who redefined the tonal spectrum of the superhero working TOGETHER. I'm sick of live action cartoons this is a film. Expand
  42. Jun 16, 2013
    P.s do not trust the critics review here it is complete bull. Obviously the user reviews here are far more reliable than the critics. It doesn't matter what the critics think, it matters more what the people thinks. Again this movie is amazing, do not let a couple of bad user reviews and critics review stop from watching man of steel.
  43. Jul 6, 2013
    First off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in the comics, but that is okay because this is 2013 (not 1933). I am tempted to write more but have decided that what I have already written should be sufficient. Enjoy! See it on the big screen! Expand
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was an incredible experience, hands down. The action was amazing, the story was intriguing and all the parts were well acted and engaging. Criticism's of "too much action"? Ok, fine, but it's all top notch, they didn't get lazy or rely on cliches or action tropes for a second of it.
  45. Jul 10, 2013
    I had doubts for Man of Steel since Superman IV was um, extreme crap. But once again I was proved wrong. Man of Steel is bulked with action and mastered its purpose, kudos to you Zack.
  46. Jun 16, 2013
    Best superman movie period. The people who rate this movie as the worst movie ever are trolls and all their comments are childish and offensive to other reviewers. This only lead me to think all the haters are really just nuts and childish people.
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel isn't perfect, but it is a great time. The first half is my favorite that is where you get the character development and through all the flashbacks I got emotionally investeted. The second half with all the big action scenes took me away from it a little, but I can't wait for part two.
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    Bottom line, if you've always hoped for a more epic, action-packed Superman movie, then you have to give Man of Steel a try. But, if you really liked the character-driven Superman Returns (the previous Superman movie), then this movie may not be for you. Personally, I was really disappointed with Superman Returns. I thought it was way too slow, and quite frankly, boring. No one wants to see a heartless Superman who solely exists to fight bad guys and save the world, but I think the reason so many people feel in love with Superman, in the comics, was because of his abilities (and his "rescues"). And this movie, unlike Superman Returns, thrived on showing them off. Yet, with that said, it did not fail to provide like-able characters. They may not have had much depth, but when they came on-screen, they succeeded in fulfilling their roles. As a result, in my opinion, Man of Steel perfectly blended the action and plot needed to achieve an epic film within a 2 hour time-frame. Superman spent plenty of time saving people in this film, but you never had those cheesy moments in between that were simply unnecessary. There was very little Clark Kent, the reporter. And I liked that. Ultimately, this was exactly the kind of Superman film I wanted. Action-wise, it captured Superman in a way he's never been seen before, the script provided a down-to-earth Superman that was very believable, and the score, provided by Hans Zimmer, perfectly set the tone for the movie. It's early but I loved this film, and I think it may be one of my favorites. Expand
  49. Jul 16, 2013
    55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I understand drama and art-house lovers may find this movie offending for their sensitive feelings, but I believe they are just a minority from crowd. Definitely worth wachig. I also reccomend critics to rethink their marks. Expand
  50. Jun 23, 2013
    To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Man of Steel, what with Zack Snyder behind the camera and David S. Goyer writing the screenplay. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the film. Man of Steel retells the origin story of Kal El and follows the story of him as an alien trying to find his place in the world. The film benefits from a smart, fresh take on Superman and strong performances from the cast, with Henry Cavill owning the role of Superman. While very different from the older Superman movies, yet somehow similar, Man of Steel delivers on what Superman Returns failed to give moviegoers back in 2006. High octane intense action sequences, and consistently strong writing. Overall, a fantastic, yet imperfect superhero film, with something for hardcore fans and newcomers alike. Expand
  51. Jun 16, 2013
    As a lifelong Superman fan and reader of the comics, I enjoyed the new approach which also kept the essence of the cannon. This film finally saw Superman let loose against a global threat in a scale worthy of the comic books. Henry Cavill looked and acted the part extremely well. There is an argument for more story in the second half but it would have sacrificed the action which many fans have been waiting to see for a long time. Expand
  52. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply put, best Superman movie ever made, period.
    Finally some action, we all know the back story, this movie gives it a good twist. Seen it twice, worth every cent.
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    best movie ever cant see why those critic don't see what I see bunch of idiots that movie was the best got great actors great action bunch of other things
  54. Jun 17, 2013
    Los flashbacks que muestran a Crark son mis partes favoritas, el es un alien PERO (es mas humano que algunas personas que existen en el mundo que no tienen corazón, aquí su vida es trágica) Los momentos de Kevin Costner padre e hijo muy emotivos (la escena del tornado es la mas tristona, y muy importante a pesar de que algunos crean que fue una muerte tonta) se te salen las lagrimas. Luego la película me parece un poco larga, pudieron cortar algunas escenas de explosiones como la de ‘terraformar’ (que es algo pesada)…Las batallas entre Kryptonianos son BRUTALES (Zack Snyder of course), nunca lo habíamos visto repartir y recibir golpes de esa forma en el cine live-action, ese ”CRACK!” cuando le rompe el cuello a Zod es supremo! (luego se nota su arrepentimiento, es un momento épico, algo como: “No use mis poderes y deje morir a mi padre, ya es suficiente, ahora el mundo se puede ir a la mierda si no los uso”) La escena final pudieron hacerla mejor, pudieron recortar algunas explosiones casi innecesarias y así darle unos minutos mas (es fugas) ademas la cinta prueba que la serie de tv Smallville es innecesaria ya que en Man of Steel se cuenta la historia de Clark muy claramente y de manera mas emotiva… sales muy satisfecho del cine. 9/10 Expand
  55. Jul 2, 2013
    Saw the movie 3 times and I could go and see it again and I still will be amazed of the special effects,the story...basically everything.The acting wasnt bad.I liked the enterpretation of Rusel Crowe as Jor-El and the one of Henry Cavill.He was the real Super-Man.But Ayelet July Zurer as his mother,imo she was terrible but I still liked the acting.The thing that I mostly liked about this movie was its originality,how the story was telled.This is definetely the best SuperMan of all time. Expand
  56. Jun 19, 2013
    Anyone who went to see "Man of Steel" expecting a Dances with wolves" or Black Swan" class of film will be sorely dissapointed. Superhero movies are not meant to winn best movie at the oscars; In the best of cases they are meant to be entertaining.
    That said its pleasing to see that this film does rise above the average superhero movie, Zack Snyder presents a fresh new version of the
    Superman storyline with a hero that had roots on a much darker corrupted Krypton. The film makes an attempt at staining our beloved boyscout with tryials both moral and philosophical, in this they succeed at least in part. The end result is a more believable human, Superman, one that doesnt just fight for good simply because he does; there is now reason and emotion behind his way of thinking, leaving the audience to ponder how close it all came for him to turn into someone like Zod. Expand
  57. Jun 16, 2013
    To first put my perspective of Superman in check would be to inform you of what I've seen before. There are of course the first two Christopher Reeve movies (I skipped out on III and IV simply because I've heard nothing but terrible things) from which I moved onto Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns. I enjoyed the romanticism and meditation of that film despite it now being panned by pretty much any fan boy you talk to. I've never seen an episode of "Smallville" and sans for a couple of animated features my knowledge of the DC mainstay is somewhat limited. Thus it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to a new vision, a re-booted film interpretation in line with Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy that has defined the space that films based on DC comics characters will occupy in this Marvel world. Personally, and as much as I enjoy the Marvel movies, I was more intrigued and engaged by the bleak and more serious moods that hung over the Nolan films as they were appropriate to the central characters tone. Though I was slightly concerned with this same tone not applying to the guy commonly referred to as the ultimate boy scout it seems that persona was not always true and director Zack Snyder along with Nolan as a producer and David Goyer (who also penned the screenplay for Batman Begins) have adapted the Superman story to not only exist in a similar universe with Nolan's Batman films, but within his own, more realistic world that doesn't simply pit the classic superhero against a bad guy in order to champion truth, justice and the American way. What they have done here and what makes me appreciate the film all the more is that while keeping in step with the kind of movies Nolan has made DC could attempt a Justice League movie in the future with this as a good place to start, but it also doesn't limit itself to that same completely realistic world of what we know because Superman is an alien and with that they ask the question of what would happen in a real world setting if Superman were to show up. It is that basic set-up that guides the film throughout and, despite a few flaws, had me gushing with excitement for what may come next.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  58. Jun 25, 2013
    Honestly, people argue that there wasn't enough emotion or light-heartened acting, but there was. I do think that there was a bit too much action at parts but the way that Snyder captures Superman is just incredible. He is definitely and Alien and deserves more credit at a critical stance (talking about Superman)
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    Nolan and Snyder complete yourself in that new masterpiece.The action is amazing and the gladiator too.
    amy adams is a brilhant lois lane,and shanon is the worst man of krypton.
  60. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the new movie is better to the previous and this movie have new plot new enemy and I think Henry cavil better than Brandon Roth and more serious Expand
  61. Jun 14, 2013
    Loved it. It wasn't a rehash of the older Superman movies and it does a pretty good job of starting off a new franchise. There were some bumps in the story and there was a excess in action, but otherwise I had a ton of fun. It just may be one of my favorite comic book movies yet!
  62. Jun 17, 2013
    This was one of the best remakes ever made. Man of Steel kept a distance between 78's Superman. Zack did a very good job as a director, and the writers did a great job with the story. The fighting sequences were awesome. This movie felt like a modern reimagination of Superman with new technology. The movie is definetely a summer blockbuster and will hit the billion mark.
    I give Man of
    Steel a 10/10... Expand
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values and stoicism.
    And the movie showcases Superman's powers better than any ever has. His flight, strength, and heat vision are exactly what I'd expect in real life. The destruction when beings with these powers fight would be ridiculous.
    Man of Steel does a good job of feeling like it could occupy the same universe as the Dark Knight movies. And unlike The Marvel movies, it takes an unrealistic character and doesn't turn him into a caricature.
  64. Jun 15, 2013
    A+. Critics are wrong this is really good. First off Superman Returns sucked period. This movie was way better. These critics are idiotic snobs, I mean seriously the loved that pile of crap called Superman Returns more than this movie. I don't know how that is possible they are blind or maybe saw Superman Returns of the first time.

Everyone in this movie, except the young Henry Cavill,
    is an oscar winner or nominee and it shows, acting superb. Henry is the perfect Superman.

Action is amazing and engaging. Yes it's all huge and you might get sensory overload but the amazing thing is, I didn't take my eyes off the screen the whole time it was happening. This story was well written, everything happened for a reason and was had a purpose.

I saw in 3D, I didn't really see anything popping out of the screen, but I have glasses and have to wear 3D glasses on top maybe that messed it up. My friends thought the 3D was amazing he swore hey saw stuff flying out of the screen. So the 3D in my view is a little mixed.

I will watch this 2 more times, once in IMAX and once more in big 2D screen.

A+.
  65. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of steel brings the superman mythos into the 21st and firmly places him back on top. From the performances to the action directions Zack Snyder brought to the table. A brilliant telling of the first and greatest superhero to ever grace the big screen and comics. nuff said
  66. Jun 14, 2013
    Personally, I hate critics. Screw 'em!

If you are a fan of movies, you owe it to yourself to see Man of Steel!

Granted I am a huge fan of Superman, but Man of Steel may very well be the best movie I have ever seen! Considering movies like Nolan’s “The Dark Knight”, Peter Jackson’s third installment in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, “Return of the King” and Whedon’s “The Avengers” top
    that list, that’s saying a ton!

What Zack Snyder has done with this film is “genius”! This is such a grand movie, yet nothing feels forced or exaggerated. Everything is given to you in exactly the right dosage. You aren’t force-fed action like in other summer blockbusters. In Man of Steel, the action feels natural as if it is part of a story being told. Imagine that!

The origin story is there, but it isn’t too much that it bores you tears and Snyder goes about it all in precisely the right manner through flashbacks. This way, you get the gist of how Clark came to be the man he is, without the movie needing to be longer than it has to.

All the actors/actresses do a fantastic job in their particular roles and help the movie to do what it is supposed to do: tell a story. While I’m still adjusting to a fair-haired Amy Adams in the role of Lois Lane, I can say that I left the theater content with her performance. She really grew on me by the time it was all said and done.

Growing up as a huge Smallville fan, I was convinced that nobody could do the role of Clark justice after Tom Welling. While Brandon Routh fit the role physically in Superman Returns, he was just too stiff and too much of a Christopher Reeves knockoff to leave me satisfied. I’m not saying Reeves was bad in the role (quite the contrary), I just would have preferred it if Routh had brought something he could call his own to the role.

That’s where Henry Cavill comes in! The best way I can put his performance is this he owned the role! You know how it goes. Often times you’ve seen an actor or actress star in an iconic role, only to be dissatisfied with the choice after seeing the movie (or perhaps before and after). With Henry Cavill, I can say this, “Henry Cavill is Superman!”

The whole time while watching the Man of Steel, I felt as if Cavill was truly an outsider from another planet. And, I mean that in the highest regard! Movies are often about the suspension of disbelief and we as moviegoers sometimes need a little push in the right direction. Cavill’s performance did that for me. The fact that the guy looks like he trained day and night nonstop tells you all you need to know about his dedication to the role. Kudos Henry!

The special effects didn’t hurt either. As far as cutting-edge special effects go, this movie has it in spades! By far the best special effects I’ve seen in any movie to date…hands down! Better than Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Matrix, Avatar or any of the Marvel movies, including The Avengers! Words cannot describe them, particularly the Metropolis battle scene! Truly epic!

Speaking of battles, the fight between Supes and two notorious Kryptonians (once seen in another of the Big Blue Boyscout’s movies) was in essence, borderline orgasmic! That battle seen alone was worth the price of the movie’s admission!...And Man of Steel still had plenty left in reserve.

Let’s face it; we don’t go to movies about comic book heroes to be bored to death by dialogue. We want action and suspense to go along with a good, relatively fast-paced story. In Man of Steel you get that!

It currently is and will be by summer’s end, the biggest and best movie you will see. Mark my words!

So do yourself a favor and don’t walk, but run to your local movie theater! You need to see this on the big screen and I promise you, you will not leave the theater disappointed. If you do, then you’re either dead or worse, a critic! "Gasp!"
  67. Jun 17, 2013
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS ON THIS ONE. Clearly the average person loves it, and reviews from most people who have actually read Superman (or even any comic book) are glowing. It is the Superman movie you've always wanted: Shed of the silly Reeve portrayal that kept people from taking him seriously; Containing more action in the first 5 minutes than there was all throughout Superman Returns; writing on par with (better, in my opinion because I love Superman more) the incredible scripts found in Nolan's Batman films. Also, Hans Zimmer nailed it again with a score I personally like more than Williams' classic. Go see this movie: It's moving, thrilling, deep, and a spectacle like nothing else you've seen. Expand
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel is beyond super; it's superb. Man of Steel soars, it's imagery is breathtaking. At times, I certainly couldn't believe my eyes. It's definitely the first movie of the summer to live up to it's hype. An absolute must see.

I went in with the highest expectations, usually no movie can ever smash your expectations but Man of Steel certainly does that. From the moment on Krypton
    to one of the final moments in Metropolis. It leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat through and through. It's perfect. Expand
  69. Jun 15, 2013
    This film is the Superman film we've all been waiting for. A lot of these reviews by the critics claim there is too much action or that it's not like the previous instalments of Superman like Superman Returns, STOP. This film was made with the intention that it was the first Superman movie of it's kind, It's a reboot not a sequel to a past film, it takes it's on twist on the the well know origin story and i have to give it praise for being the complete opposite that Superman returns was which was a complete snooze fest. Man of steel has a lot of talent and well directed sequences and i cannot fathom why this movie isn't getting the rating it truly deserves... Overall it made me believe a man could truly fly. Expand
  70. Jun 15, 2013
    Kudos to a well done Superman film. The movie was far more intense than I was expecting. Kal-el faces serious decisions throughout, and the damage done by Zod and crew is not sugared down. Lois was presented as a risk taking real journalist, and the first non-family person Kal-el was able to trust. I am looking forward to the sequels where Clark is able to form more meaningful relationships now that he has chosen to really enter human society. Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel introduces us to the world of Superman like no movie has ever done before. With an emotionally engaging story and an amazing soundtrack it really is the movie superman fans have waited for. Snyder, Goyer and Nolan are a team that shouldn't disband anytime soon Hoping for a Man of Steel trilogy, because the story of this particular incarnation of Superman is just too good to let go.
  72. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is amazing, seriously is the best Superman Movie ever made, great acting, great characters developed, great villain, and so incredible action scenes, the best movie of Mr. Snyder, the Man of Steel is the move fans were waiting to see all their life.
  73. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing film, but if you're looking for another typical, wise cracking superhero film then this is not the one for you. This is a sci-fi film, through and through. It explores first contact.

Those that are critical of a lack of warmth, emotion and humour in the main protagonist, seem to be missing the point. He's an alien! Does he lack humanity? No, but he's been trying to find his path
    and a sense of belonging for 33 years. It's something I've struggled with in adulthood and I'm from this planet! (Mum,I am from this planet, aren't I? Mum?!?)

All of the characters were well written and well acted. The 2 father figures were particularly impressive. It was good to see Jor El get some serious screen time and back story. Likewise, it was interesting to see more of Krypton than we ever have before. The world and its people became more real than ever. You felt a real sense of the impending doom that would befall their planet and the effect that would have on their (Zod and his followers) "humanity".

There is perhaps one criticism that is being levied at the film by critics that I would regard as fair. The action is intense (which is good), but it could be said (or rather, IS being said) that the action scenes are too long. I accept the point, but we are talking about near indestructible super beings fighting against other near indestructible super beings! However, the amount of action perhaps had the effect of blunting the senses somewhat. But if there was less, would we be suggesting the film was less epic? Perhaps, and it is for that reason that I would not be too critical of seeing such action on screen.

Watch it. Love it. Get excited for a sequel!
  74. Jun 15, 2013
    This is one of my candidates for all time greatest movie experiences. Wow. Amazing. Great acting, story and effects. Of course they must fight for 45 minutes, it's four super men fighting it out, they don't die easy, and the city being destroyed was realistic and exciting. Too bad critics just look for negatives, being a critic does not mean be critical.
  75. Jun 19, 2013
    I have to say this movie really came with an eraser to remove all the old superman history and start fresh. We enjoyed the film as a whole and would recommend it to our friends. It is more than a refreshing update on an old comic book hero.
  76. Jun 16, 2013
    In a time when Comic-book characters showing their prime in celluloid, Superman, I believe, is bit outdated; out of the league. One of the first superhero of this genre, Superman gradually became an American icon and a symbol of hope and courage. But in recent times nobody really seemed to care about Superman a man in shining blue-red suit. Young generation now hardly relate with Superman when they have more realistic gadget oriented Batman or Iron man. This was the most important part for Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer How to present Superman in current time? Okay, lets show him not as a Superman rather show him as an outcast, struggling between two worlds. An alien who still searches his roots. There Snyder, Nolan and Goyer wins the race.

Richard Donner showed the world that we're going to believe a man can fly. But for what price? Donner made a Superman which is still now a confusing piece of work as far Superman is concerned. He never tried to show struggles of Superman; he just went with the flow and tried hard to give goosebumps to audience showing some 'there he is' type moments. That is why in 1978 Superman was a hit and in modern times it mostly criticised by modern audiences.

Nolan knew one thing "we cannot afford to show the same origin story again and again'. So with Snyder and Goyer he comes up with a brilliant idea. Snyder shows that this is Kal-El and he's no Superman. He has powers but he cannot show them. This is hard time, Govt. officials are looking for alien specimens, so showing off powers and then moving on as Clark Kent sounds extremely stupid. They made Kal-El more human material, more grounded. His powers are not a matter of pride, those are his biggest problems of his life. Man of Steel is a story about an alien who lives among the humans and struggles with his powers.

Man of Steel just showed what can happen when alien powers collide. Ripping off White House's head is not what they do. Complete destruction is what happens. The fight between Kal-El and Faora & her partner showed that this is what Donner was missing out. Extreme level action. Who cares about the surroundings? Donner did!

Everything made absolute sense. Why Zod, why Kal, why Krypton exploded i mean everything. No half chances in this movie. Henry Cavill is the most suitable Superman I have ever seen. He is 1000 times better than any Superman be it Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh (that's not Superman), George Reeve, etc. Cavill is the best. He has that expression of agony being an outcast alien. Others were just happy to be a Superman! Duh!

Overall this is the best rendition of Superman in big screen. Go for it!
  77. Jun 16, 2013
    Great movie, and great origin story. the movie didn't feel like 2.5 hours long. the pacing was great, and I loved Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie had everything, good story telling, serious tone and hints of humor.
  78. Jun 16, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, Man of Steel is an epic Superhero MASTERPIECE !!!

Best comic book movie of ALL TIME, I loved this movie.

10/10 need JLA
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel may have the greatest action in a movie, ever and has a pretty good story to go with it. The film starts with great action with a huge battle on krypton and finishes with a huge battle on earth. The actors did there part and were able to engage the audience most of the time.

Towards the begging of the film there was forced chemistry between some characters but towards the
    end they greatly improved. Superman's origin was greatly told through flashbacks.

The special effects were amazing and always kept me entertained.
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    I'm a die hard fan of Superman so I might be a little, although it might also make me more critical like I was for Dark Knight Rises, but this was more than i could've hoped for a Superman movie and it kept every major theme I love about him. You need to see this movie not only is this movie amazing, also this is the movie that the whole potential franchise will be based off of, so anyway you look at it this is a Must Go! Expand
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    Reviewers need to calm down and stop comparing this to the reeve films, why cant they understand that this is different.People saying its a "Special effects fiasco" are idiots its a Superman movie he flies, shoots lasers out of his eyes, and lifts cars, and fights robots i didn't think the special effects are a great addition in the movie
  82. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely MIND-BLOWING action scenes mixed with very choppy and sometimes bad character development. The main fault of the movie is Superman himself. While he can be shown struggling at a young age, and gives you a sense of where he's coming from and what he's been dealing with, he's never shown as being a fun, humorous character, which is something I personally disliked, but might be completely the opposite for other viewers. Michael Shannon does an ok job as Zod, but feels like a missed opportunity. Antje Traue, who plays Faora, is amazingly good. Some characters are in the movie with practically no purpose at all, but the action scenes can be so good, and keep your mind off of the huge missteps the movie took. All in all, a great "action" movie, but falls in certain areas. Expand
  83. Jun 19, 2013
    Don't let the negative critics ruin your mood to watch this movie. It's awesome! Man of Steel provides amazing visuals and fight scenes worthy of a modern Superman movie. Although some of the scenes and dialogue can be a little shifty towards the Hollywood stereotype, there aren't any major problems with the overall aspect of the film. It's beautiful, exhilarating, and overall, fun.
  84. Jun 19, 2013
    Love the movie, this was the Superman, I've been waiting for better than the old ones no disrespect to Reeves, they did a awesome job, effects, action, seen the movie on the 14, and going back again to watch it on 3d, was worth every penny!!! Really don't care about what the critics had to say. Can't wait for blue-ray to come out pre-ordering at Wal-mart!! Whoever did not watch man of steel, go watch it do not listen to rotten tomatoes and all them critics, they have no idea what they talking about! Expand
  85. Jun 22, 2013
    The critics gave it bad rating but that is what I come to except from them. They never like comic book movies. The only one they like was the new Batman movies. This movies lives about to everything we except in Superman movie. For those purist yes it is another origin story at the beginning but hey that is what you need we reintroducing to fan who know nothing about superman. Fans who never see will love it and become superman fans of it. So much action so much fun would highly recommend it. It is Hell-Ya movie. Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2013
    This was the superman movie we needed!!! The director was perfect along with the actors and the story!!! This was the best movie I had ever seen!!! I can not wait to see what Snyder and Goyer have in store for the future!!!
  87. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. These critics are an absolute joke! This movie was awesome!! Only things I wasn't crazy about was the beginning scene on Krypton (avatar/star wars vibe) & the female beatin the hell out of Superman with absolute ease. People cryin about Superman killin Zod at the end are a bunch of hippie nerds. Naaa he should have just let Zod kill hundreds of thousands more ppl lol. Anyways if your any kind of fan of Superman or super hero movies go see this movie asap! Expand
  88. Jun 23, 2013
    nice surprise. not just a remake but new take on a old story. this is not your grandparents Superman, and that is good.
    A movie about a Super Man that shows the Humans as much as the Hero. Thank you Colonel Nathan Hardy and Jonathan Kent.
  89. Jul 17, 2013
    Never in my life have I seen something so amazing and epic like this on the big screen! This was just monumental when it comes to how grand of a spectacle it was. Not to mention the best comic book movie ever filmed.... Thanks again Zack Snyder!
  90. Jun 24, 2013
    I was never a big fan of superman, I just thought he was a pretty generic superhero when I was a kid. this movie though, while being very slow at parts, managed to make superman look epic. General Zod was a great villain also and the fight scenes were good as well.
  91. Jun 25, 2013
    Lets be honest its better than Superman Returns just kidding. Man Of Steel is a fresh, darker reboot of the superman franchise and its done really well with the film lasting 3 hours everything is explained from him being sent to earth but more importantly, why? A factor that a lot of past superman films left out. you don't need to be a massive superman fan to go see this i took my girlfriend and she loved it and i did to. General Zod is a fantastic bad guy and Russell crow is a fabulous Jur-al. The film has some amazing fighting scenes and a lot of flashbacks to a young Clark Kent to explain the hardships of him growing up this is certainly the superman film i was waiting for and its the one i got. Expand
  92. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expectations are everything with movies. Before I saw Avengers I heard critics gushing about it and when I went to see it myself I was totally underwhelmed. Still not sure why everyone thought it was so great. I had just the opposite experience with Man of Steel. After hearing critics trash it I was expecting the worst. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The actors are all top notch. Cavill plays Superman very well. He's big and brawny but has a soft side. Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane. Not a damsel in distress at all, but an active part of the story. And it was smart to ditch the silly part of the Superman canon that Lois Lane is a top reporter but can't see through Clark's disguise. Zod was villainous, but not in a cartoony way. He's ruthless, but has his reasons. Faora is fantastic as well.

The story does suffer a little bit from all of the flashbacks, they can be jarring. But they make sense in that they all tie back to the present. I liked the fact that they show him as a hero during all stages of his life. The pacing was excellent. After starting on Krypton, they jump to the present and he dons the suit and cape relatively early on.

The action is off the charts. I know some critics have complained that it was too much CGI, but what did they expect? The had to show the epic scale of Superman's powers, so of course there would be a lot of special effects. Fun, fun stuff. It will leave you breathless. The final fight between Superman and Zod is brutal and more violent than seen in previous Superman films.

The end set up a sequel perfectly. Can't wait for another film plus Justice League. The only problem with that is that given how powerful Superman is in this universe, i can't imagine what kind of threat they would have to come up with that he would need help with.

Good movie, not great like Dark Knight, but fun and enjoyable.
  93. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was what a realistic superhero movie should be like! It truly showed the inner turmoil of a young Clark trying to balance saving lives with keeping his secret. Kevin Costner (Jon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El) contributed heavily to why Clark became Superman. Do you really think the military would not be interested in a super powered being and not be wary? The action sequences were heads above anything Marvel has ever done. The new twists on Krypton and how the Earths atmosphere affects Kryptonians was refreshing. Seen the movie three times! Don't listen to the critics...too many people as collateral damage, Superman doesn't kill, or any of that carp! Superman does kill..remember Superman II? Didn't remorse one bit when he killed Zod and the other two Kryptonians yet people think that's ok. I am a huge Superman fan and therefore really studied this movie and if it stunk, I would say say. We fans are usually the harshest critics! Can't wait for the sequel and Justice League! Henry Cavill is the man...Superman! Expand
  94. Jun 30, 2013
    Was a good movie, wish I could see a bit more of everything. Looking forward to Superman man of steel 2 if it being made ^^D Underrated film, really I think this film needs a better metascore.
  95. Jun 30, 2013
    To watch my video review for this film click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmJFT_Gx6g

The film is about whether Superman will be accepted for what he is on earth. The conflict in the film derives from the survival of either earth or Superman’s own species. General Zod is determined to save his own race from extinction even if that means destroying the human race. Despite
    the bullying and the secrecy that he has had to endure, Superman ultimately chooses the place he has grown up over his own race.
    You may recognise Michael Shannon from the Boardwalk Empire and I was surprised to see him fill such a big role in this film as General Zod. His character once again was one with strong beliefs and I think he carried out his role fairly well. Henry Cavel feels and looks right as Superman. However, it’s the performances of Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe that really stand out for me. I’m not usually a massive fan of flashbacks throughout a film but in this case they really work and they illustrate well the relationship between Superman and his father on Earth played by Kevin Costner. Crowe delivered dramatic lines such as, how, he will be a god to them” perfectly and seeing Coster as Superman’s adopted father sacrifice himself to keep Superman’s secret was one of the most heartfelt moments in a film that I have seen in a while and was certainly a highlight. This is where I think the film really delivers, in the relationships between Superman and those around him, from his biological father to his lover Louis Lane.
    For me, the action in the film was a bit repetitive and consisted mainly of Superman and the bad guys flying into one another and into buildings. I couldn’t help but think what’s the point in them endlessly hitting each other and flying into one another if it clearly does no damage. However, I realise that you should probably expect that in a Superman film and it did mean that they could show off some lovely special effects. Another small gripe I have with the film is that there were plenty of opportunities in this film for those slick and funny one liners but unfortunately for the most part they failed to grasp them. Lines such as “where did you learn to fight, on a farm?”, didn’t really pack the punch they needed to. There was certainly more room for humour such as at the end when the woman giggles and says, “well it’s just that he’s kinda hot”. But the script didn’t give Henry Cavel the opportunity to show a witty side of Superman and was therefore portrayed as being very serious.
    Overall though I think that the film was great and a successful reboot of the franchise. Director Zack Snyder brought through the emotions of the film brilliantly and it delivered everything that you expect from a superhero film. My sister loved it and she’s not usually a massive fan of these types of films which I think illustrates its appeal. I have a pretty strict scale when it comes to rating films. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film 56% and IGN gave it a pretty impressive 9/10 but I’m going to go in between the two and give this a 7.8/10.
  96. Jun 30, 2013
    Here's the problem, most people want a fun, light-hearted, Superman can do anything movie like Christopher Reeve did. That was Superman Returns, and that was horrible. This movie strives for a new direction, in tone, style, and audience. This is jot for the 5 year old with a towel hanging like a cape over their back. This movie serves to satisfy the teenager or older audience. Superman doesn't just become super, there are learning pains. There are reasons now for things that have always been taken for granted. Even the slightly altered origin story is an acceptable change, as it adds complexity and new story elements without completely destroying the character in the process.

Overall this was a good movie, if you were a fan of the comic books or are just looking for a movie that tries to actually ground itself in some sort of "reality" (lacking in "comic book reality) instead of just being a popcorn movie used to sell toys to kids.
  97. Jul 4, 2013
    I believe critics try so hard to be the utmost movie minds that cynicism sometimes gets the best of them. Throw a Zack Snyder directed piece in there and cynicism ALWAYS gets the best of them. I've watched this movie several times and am a harsh Superman critic and there is a nothing seriously wrong with this movie. The acting was good and Henry Cavill is the perfect Superman. All the haters need to get over the fact that DC makes movies for adults, smart adults at that. If you want poking fun at how unrealistic itself is and not engaging on a simultaneous mental emotional level go watch a Disney movie. I myself would take a mature, realistic piece over the latter. This is one point of view of the character in one medium. Save the camp for the golden age! Expand
  98. Jul 3, 2013
    THIS WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN! Its a must see in IMAX 3D! I LOVE everything about the movie. It was amazingly entertaining...so much so that I am going to see it again on the forth of july with my entire family!
  99. Jul 7, 2013
    Man of steel is a phenomenal composition. The critics are bitter and always appreciate drama and nothing more. Zack Snyder had a phenomenal vision. He did his very best to create a new superman for the up and coming generation. It was perfect to see Superman in a different suit and more clean looking.
  100. Jul 7, 2013
    What a great movie!!! Henry Cavill plays the best Superman ever, he has the look, the demeanor, the right attitude and emotion. He conveys the emotional turmoil of Superman's actions with stunning effect. The action is beyond top-shelf and care was taken to provide a "realistic" portrayal of Kryptonian strength. When Superman punches an enemy, he does not just fall down, or get knocked into a car and leave a dented door. He is sent through three buildings and a concrete parking garage. If Superman falls into a mountain, he doesn't just make a small crater, he takes the mountaintop off. The true strength and power of Superman is finally done justice and portrayed as it always should have been.

The character is re-imagined and remade to bear more relevance to today than 1940. Superman is feared by the military, just like a real-life alien would be. Krypton is not portrayed as a lifeless chunk of ice, but as a living, breathing world meeting its end.

Special effects are dazzling. You can feel every impact, even almost experience the sensation of flight (seen in the NYC IMAX theater with a screen 8 stories tall). Like his strength, his speed is portrayed accurately and effectively. You can tell Superman can fly at nearly the speed of light by just observing the convincing special effects.

Some may say the ending is controversial, but anyone that really knows Superman will know that it is not. His actions at the end are consistent with his comic book history and even actions he had taken in prior films.

Not only one of the best super hero movies ever made (only the Dark Knight trilogy ranks on par), but one of the best movies ever made. Period.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.