7.6

1. Jul 20, 2013
    I'll just make it simple and mention good and bad aspects of the movie, in my opinion.
    GOOD THINGS: The story is great, you won't be bored; The visual effects are amazing; There are tons of epicness; The characters are very good, not only Superman will catch your attention; The happenings are well explained; There's lots of action; The movie is very well-balanced between innovation and those Superman clichés we all like; The climax is amazing.
    BAD THINGS: the movie is 100 minutes of begining and goes too quickly to 40 minutes of climax and ending; There are no big turnovers, which some people would expect from a movie Christopher Nolan is part of; The characters are good but none is fascinating. That's just the opinion of a fan. If you value epicness and action, it will be an amazing movie. If you want a suspenseful story, you'll rate it 'just regular'.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was absolutely awesome. Some say it was to "dark" for a superman movie, I disagree. It was realistic. Lots of destruction, (even a building going down, which in post 9/11 is ballsy, glad they did it though) but what do you think would happen if two super being fought in an urban landscape? One thing I had a bit of an issue with, Superman does something superman would neverThis movie was absolutely awesome. Some say it was to "dark" for a superman movie, I disagree. It was realistic. Lots of destruction, (even a building going down, which in post 9/11 is ballsy, glad they did it though) but what do you think would happen if two super being fought in an urban landscape? One thing I had a bit of an issue with, Superman does something superman would never do, but I'm ok with that. Henry Cavill was the best superman yet (He WAS SUPERMAN!!), wouldn't say he was the best clark kent I think Chistopher Reeve did the best playing clark, and was an awesome superman as well), but Caville was just a beast. nice to see a superman movie without the same old premise, by that I mean no kryptonite the entire movie!! I liked the last superman made, superman returns I believe, and thought the story line was good with him having a son, didn't like the ending in that one. This one obviously has no ties to that movie. This movie was slam, bam, destruction and action most of the movie. This superman reminded me somewhat of just all the destruction, he wasn't boozed up or anything like that. Anyway go see it if you haven't already!!! Expand
  3. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing the trailer, i have prepared my self for a movie full of only drama, I've never been so wrong, and I've never been at the edge of my seat, the way i was in the theater. From start to end, Man of Steel was action packed, and still succeeded in telling the story of how the Man of Steel became the super hero icon that we know and love. Having said that, the action scenes tends to get a bit too much, to the point where i felt that i lost focus on some of the fight scenes. This movie is nothing short from epic, and i would recommend any one who is a fan of comic book heroes to watch it ASAP. Expand
  4. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. El hombre de acero no muestra un mundo Krypton diferente a un Jor-El que lucha y que tenia ideología diferente a la de su planeta algo nuevo nos han traído al cine un hombre de acero diferentes a las otras como se desarrolla el trama y como involucran a los personajes hacen de esta película una de las mejores del 2013 me encanto la verdad Esperamos mucho tiempo para poder ver un superman diferente que muestre como en verdad es ,por eso le doy 10 a esta obra maestra... Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2013
    Just had to vote this up. It seems all the bad reviews come from people who don't read comics and therefore do not understand the significance this movie holds to future comic based movies.

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch, but to a comic reader they are just watered down hollywood products. Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic.

Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic. I'm not a huge fan of the invincible goody superhero in a blue pyjamamyself, but I must admit that he is the most iconic and one of the most important comic characters ever and the movie does right by him.

The movie itself is not perfect, there are a lot of issues (like too sudden cuts, missing information and too much bla bla), but the tone of the movie and the characters itself are exactly what I expect from a true to the comics superman movie. I definitely want to see more of that in the future. A superhero movie taking itself seriously is what the genre needed.

Now gimme Lex Luther in the second one and I'm happy!
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literallyI never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literally nothing you have ever experienced before. The amount of carnage and building destruction is unbelievable but at the same time you believe it, which brings me to the visual FX because this has to be the most visually stunning movie ever made and for a superhero movie, it works. Zach Snyder is the king and ever since the watchmen (10 out of 10 as well) hes proven that he along with Nolan is the best a bringing these extraordinary characters to life. This movie is a must see and a must buy when it is released, because I see people watching it over and over again. Expand
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    Man of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almostMan of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almost omnipotent can change the world and not always for the better. some minor plot discrepancies aside this is in my humble opinion the movie of the summer and the best Superman movie to date. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    I was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going onI was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going on but you see epic moments. There is a couple of problems. First it needed to be longer in order to have General Zod in it because it to good of a enemy to be used in the first film. He needed to be included in the second film when Superman is already known and is the guardian on Earth. But this is not the reason to not see the movie. I loved it and I think it i the best Superman movie ever. Expand
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    The movie was awesome and is in my opinion the best in the franchise. Well done Zack Snyder, cast, crew and everyone else involved, you have done a great job, I highly recommend it
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The content in this movie is incredible. The horrid pacing... isn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of this film. I know it's making everyone think the movie is just Michael Bay-esque explosions, but it's not. Get past the pacing, and you'll find an intelligent, well made sci fi that pays respect to my most beloved superhero.

Points of Controversy I'd Like to Counter:

-The destruction caused by Kal. I have watched the final fight between Kal and Zod dozens of times on Youtube. Kal ALWAYS takes the fight to the side of the building or in places where people wouldn't readily get hurt. It is in fact General Zod who takes Kal and throws him into buildings. The only problem I have with the destruction is the pacing of it and the fact that there is one building that falls which would most likely be responsible for a lot of deaths that Kal doesn't really do anything about (again, he isn't the cause for it, it's General Zod's heat vision that takes the building down, it's just he doesn't really try to save the people under it).

-Lois Lane being brought aboard Zod's ship. People seem to think that she was brought on board the ship as nothing but an exposition device and that General Zod had no purpose for her. In actuality, Lois' name was broadcast on national television by another news reporter as having a connection to Kal. Given that she is the only other person who seems to have a special relationship with the Kryptonian, Zod decides to bring her on board and contain the situation entirely. There is another thematic reason Lois is brought on board, and I will detail that in the next point.

-Perry White's character arc, and various other "unnecessary" plot threads. These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually enforcing a thematic value of the story- that everyone can be a hero. Jor-El himself says "Everyone can be a force for good." These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually bolstering his claim. They give everyone their chance to be the hero, from a small scale, such as Perry letting Jenny know that there was still someone who cared in the midst of the end of the world, or the scientist figuring out how the Command Key works, to a large scale, such as the Colonel sacrificing himself to kill Faora or Kal's antics himself. Lois' involvement on Zod's ship also gives her a chance to be the hero, showing that she wasn't brought in just as an exposition device, but as a thematic expression too.

-Various references to Jesus. I don't know about you, but regardless of what it's referencing, I prefer there to be allegories to renowned texts, be it religious or not. Biblical allusions are not a negative (and this is coming from a Muslim).

-Above all, the ending decision. Many people have decided to base their entire opinion on Kal's final decision in the movie and have written the movie off as a pile of garbage simply due to this being "out of Superman's character."

Have you recognized that throughout this review/counter argument, I have only referred to the protagonist as Kal, and not as Superman? This is because Kal-El, for the most part in this movie, is not Superman. He is Kal-El.

One of the main themes in this movie is that of choice. From the beginning this is explored, with Krypton's selective "bloodline" system that removes freedom of choice, to Jonathan Kent's talks about his son (and his death). Not once in his life had Kal acted on impulse (aside from the school bus scene, which he was later scolded for). He always played it safe. Never tried to act on his own feelings but based on what everyone else was telling him was right. He had never explored the other area of choice- the ones his instincts were compelling him to make.

In that final, climactic scene, General Zod threatens to kill a family. After Kal beats him outright, and he realizes his "you die or I do" mentality wouldn't work in a normal battle due to Kal's morality, he shifts his focus to killing as many people as he could before forcing Kal's hand ("Stop!"- "Never."). Kal finally decides to act on impulse. He snaps Zod's neck. Realizing what he has just done, he drops to his knees and screams.

This scene is not only respectful of Superman's character, but easily one of the most powerful advancements of it I have ever seen. Kal finally explores the "other" area. He acts on impulse and stops Zod, but he realizes after that the price he paid (taking someone else's life) was far too great to pay. Just as in Superman: Executioner (where he similarly executes Zod) he decides from then on to stop killing. From that moment on, he truly becomes Superman, and not Kal. He realizes that he isn't supposed to give into the constraints of choice. When there are two options, he creates a third (he even tells General Swanwick that he will help only "on his own terms" shortly after). That is what Superman is. And through that final scene, that is what this origin story has helped Kal El become.
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    A must-see of the year! Don't wait for the DVD or BluRay to come out. The big screen experience especially the IMAX 3D is total different. Undeniably, the best Superman movie ever! I've seen IRON MAN 3 three times while MAN OF STEEL I've seen five times (and counting) already. It's absolutely a joyride to watch! I say it's a cut above the rest of superhero movies. Dunno how Snyder &A must-see of the year! Don't wait for the DVD or BluRay to come out. The big screen experience especially the IMAX 3D is total different. Undeniably, the best Superman movie ever! I've seen IRON MAN 3 three times while MAN OF STEEL I've seen five times (and counting) already. It's absolutely a joyride to watch! I say it's a cut above the rest of superhero movies. Dunno how Snyder & other superhero filmmakers will top this one. It makes THE AVENGERS look like child's play (though I still love that movie). Faora makes the Black Widow look like Dora, the Explorer. This movie answers back Iron Man's joke on Thor, "Doth mother knows you're wearing her drapes?" in which Martha Kent compliments Clark as Superman with, "Nice suit, son!" If THE AVENGERS has a Tesseract, MAN OF STEEL has a Codex. Tom Hiddleston's Loki has nothing on Michael Shannon's Zod here. Even The Hulk will have to kneel before him & will just have to settle on a fight with Nam-Ek. MAN OF STEEL dominates, totally smashing & demolishing all competition in its wake! Can't wait how Zack Snyder will top this one out on MAN OF STEEL 2... Expand
  12. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CONTAINS SPOILERS.
    I love Man of Steel like a bunny loves jelly beans. This movie takes a poo on Iron Man 3. Don't listen to those one sided bias liberal s.o.p.r.w. critics. They suck the life out of life. I don't know what their motives are but they are not from God. The special effects in this movie are only third to District 9 and Avatar. The emotional intensity in this movie grips me like a hand grips a bird, not to hard but not to soft. This story is almost as well threaded as Gladiator. I think what it comes down to is the critics don't like the part where Superman has a conversation with the priest in front of the stain glass window of Jesus. They talk about what it is to give up your life for the world. So, let's talk about Superman's impressive physique. He was so much manlier than Christopher Reeves or Brandon Routh. Not only could he probably bench press more but his voice was deeper and he would look better in a mustache. Russel Crowe is the actor who plays Superman's dad in Man of Steel. His performance was picturesque. Michael Shannon was the perfect villain as he is in many of his movies. The development of Kripton was extremley well done. The film makers show a world full of alien animal life on Krypton and a diverse unique culture and society of Kriptonians. Overall, the superman movie "Man of Steel" is super good and you should definitely see it!
  13. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (To cut to the chase, I copy and pasted a conversation I had with a friend on another site so it may sound like a one sided talk)

I've seen it twice already and while the third act is action intensive, they keep it unique because they make Superman as powerful as he should be rather than toning him down, so you never lose interest because the fight scenes are unlike anything you've ever seen. The story/character building is flawless imo, or at least as good as you can get. Everyone cheered after the showdown between Zod and Superman and after the movie was over, several people gave it a standing ovation, with everyone else giving a rousing round of applause. It was unique, emotionally engaging, and had easily the best superhero action you will ever see. They truly capture Superman in both his power and his struggles.

There was definitely some overt religious parallels, the obvious examples being when Jor-El sends him to earth and says "he will be a god to them," but also in that he is a miracle birth, being the only naturally born Kryptonian in centuries. There is also an obvious juxtaposition with Christ in a stained glass window (especially in that Jesus is wearing a red cloak in the image) when he asks a priest for advice. He is also 33 when he reveals himself to the world and fights for humanity, as Jesus was 33 when he made his sacrifice. Think of it as him sacrificing his anonymity, the only thing that's really allowed him to live a semi-normal life up to that point, for the greater good of his people; they even touch on his having a bit of a crisis of faith, not in God necessarily but humanity as a whole, when he tells the priest "Zod can't be trusted, but I'm not sure humanity can either." The movie handles the messianic archetype well--it's not obvious and in your face, and neither does it insult the concept.

Nature v. Nurture can be argued to be one of the center themes of the story. You have the Kents and humanity as a whole pulling Superman in one direction, and Zod and the Kryptonians pulling him in another. And Zod himself isn't just all "for the evulz," he actually makes a lot of sense; he really DOES care for his people and is willing to destroy humanity for them, just as Superman is willing to defend humanity under any cost. Neither side is technically more right than the other since one side winning means the other side doesn't exist anymore, meaning SOMEONE is basically committing genocide be it them or humanity.

And they put Superman in some really troubling positions as well. There are times where people threaten him and he barely controls his anger lest he lash out and turn them to dust. And I won't spoil it, but the ending puts Supes in a position I don't think we've seen him in too often, if ever.

The movie is obviously a most serious big screen depiction of Superman, but it isn't without its humor. The only time they actually call him Superman--and they do refer to him as such only once--is great. We're not talking The Avengers styled humor, but there are several times where the whole audience was laughing. And I think the seriousness of the movie serves to that effect better; it allows the fewer laughs to have more of an impact. Forgive me but I am going to spoil one small scene to make a larger point, but when they call him Superman it's in the last act of the movie and I had a noticeable "oh yeah!" moment because I had stopped thinking of him as Superman and more as Kal-El, or Clark. So when they do call him Superman, it serves as a reminder of who this guy is or maybe more importantly what he'll become. He isn't Superman yet, he's just Kal-El, Superman is a title he's yet to earn. So when the guy drops the name "Superman" everyone pauses and says "Superman?" in a disbelieving tone. "Yeah, sir, the alien, that's...that's what they're calling him." As if the name is completely ridiculous. It's great self-referential humor, but I think it serves to show that the icon of Superman has not come into his own yet. They call him Kal or Clark in this movie, or the alien, but Superman is an idea, "an ideal to strive towards." And I'm pretty sure that is what the second Man of Steel will touch on.

I'd say his acting is perfect for this role, but not for the 1970's version. The Reeves version was much more light hearted than this one, some might even say campy. In a good way I suppose, and Reeves was definitely THE Superman, but if Reeves was THE Superman, then I think it's fair to say that Cavill is THE Kal-El. He's much more grounded and subtle, but not without his charm and friendliness. To be sure this isn't Batman with Superman's powers, it's very much still Superman, but a Superman with a more realistic psychology, more believable and in that Cavill does a great job. I don't think it's fair to compare him to Reeves in part because Reeves gave an iconic performance 40 years ago, and in part that his version was much more kid-friendly. This is a Superman for adults.
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I've been waiting my whole life for a Superman movie like this one. I thought the back story was great. I've read other reviews that COMPLAINING that there is too much action and its too loud and you'll leave the theater blind and deaf (these are clearly over aged movie critics who are judging this like its Cannes film festival).This movie was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I've been waiting my whole life for a Superman movie like this one. I thought the back story was great. I've read other reviews that COMPLAINING that there is too much action and its too loud and you'll leave the theater blind and deaf (these are clearly over aged movie critics who are judging this like its Cannes film festival). IT'S SUPERMAN, IT'S AN ACTION MOVIE. It's supposed to have explosions and intense scene.

Ranting aside, Henry Cavill delivered a great Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman. With seriousness, a dash of humor and the best Superman physique ever delivered by an actor in this franchise, you can count on this movie being appealing to you if you're a Superman fan or even just a movie fan. This movie caters to people who may not even like comics because it was an entertaining action/drama for all audiences. People keep getting on Snyder about too much CGI. TOO MUCH CGI? IT'S SUPERMAN AND ZOD FIGHTING! I suppose we should have had a casting call for real aliens who look like humans and had them have a realistic fight scene so CGI wouldn't have to be used.

I've heard people saying we didn't have enough time to get into a character to be able to really care about them. well if you're a fan of Superman then you already know all these characters. Do we really need to develop Perry White? No. This movie is everything it needed to be. The pretentious prick who gave this movie a score of zero is an idiot. Not even a point for the acting? Really? Get a life dude

Great movie. Go see it. I'll see it at least two more times in theater and then I'll buy the blu ray. So good, you won't be disappointed.
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    This film was two and a half hours of relentless HOLY F**K. It was “you sure you really want Superman? Well here’s your god damned Superman. Hope you’re happy now.”

There were a few parts of the script that didn’t make sense, and they didn’t really bother having a lot of character relationship building. But that was besides the point. This movie was all about: if a superhuman alien really grew up in our world, what would that look like? As a raw visual portrayal of that awesome p
    ower, the film just blows you away. Definitely a film worth going the IMAX 3D route.

It has decent casting for the side characters, and they are treated respectfully, but they exist only in service to the perspective of Superman himself and the story of his emergence onto the world stage. And there are some clever nods to past Superman stories as well as other movies and tropes there is in particular a lot of similarities with Prometheus both in themes and aesthetics.

But if you are looking for a really cohesive story, or a compelling drama beyond the core theme of the burden, responsibility, and joy of having super powers, you won’t find it here. The film just isn’t about anything more than that. But if you want a realistic visceral experience of being super, you’ll get more than you could ever hope for.

In short: this film does some things poorly, but the things it does well, it does so astonishingly ground-breakingly well, that it is well worth picking out the few grains of sand to experience the tour de force within.
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    Want to get pumped up for Man of Steel? Do yourself a favor and watch Superman Returns right before watching Man of Steel.

I watched Superman Returns when it came out in 2006 and thought it was boring. Never understood why it was highly rated by critics. I watched it again yesterday to compare it with Man of Steel today. Holy crap, Man of Steel was awesome. Action was amazing and story was well thought out. Things weren't perfect and a common complaint was lack of character development, but I honestly think they probably left some of the developing to an inevitable sequel.

The tone of the movie was serious, but not emo and super sad like the critics say. I think critics are just way too used to the somewhat lightheartedness of Marvel movies, especially Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark. If you're one of the many that were disappointed with Iron Man 3 because there was too much Tony Stark being a detective or whatever and not enough Iron Man, then you'll love and appreciate Man of Steel.

Ending of the movie was a bit shocking to me, but I definitely didn't hate it. All in all, the BEST movie of the summer for me. The critics' ratings for this movie pretty much solidifies my theory that they generally can't be trusted except for maybe comedies and Oscar type movies. I think critics liked Superman Returns because it reminded them of Superman I and II and they liked Iron Man 3 because they like them some Robert Downey Jr. If you want to look at ratings for summer blockbusters, then go look at the user scores. Currently 8.7 for Man of Steel and 6.6 for Iron Man 3. Enough said.

P.S. If you can, then watch the movie in IMAX like I did. NOT IMAX 3D or regular 3D. Always thought 3D was pointless and just not good, realistic enough. IMAX does somewhat enhance the overall clarity of watching an action movie and the sound is better.
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel- one of the best superhero movies ever! It's all we have been waiting for. The new take of Superman and Clark is convincing. Henry Cavill IS the Superman of our generation. He and the rest of crews did a great job! As for the action and the music, EPIC!!!!!! I've already watched it twice since Wednesday. I love it so much!! Expand
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    As a lifelong fan of Superman I had been waiting for a movie which captured the character I saw in my head when reading a Superman comic. The Donner films were great, don't get me wrong, but that was silver age Superman. Where was the post-crisis, Byrne Superman. Thanks to Zack Snyder, Henry Cavill and company I now have my Superman. The cast was spot on in their interpretation andAs a lifelong fan of Superman I had been waiting for a movie which captured the character I saw in my head when reading a Superman comic. The Donner films were great, don't get me wrong, but that was silver age Superman. Where was the post-crisis, Byrne Superman. Thanks to Zack Snyder, Henry Cavill and company I now have my Superman. The cast was spot on in their interpretation and despite what some "professional" critics claim the character development was was engaging. I absolutely can't wait to see where the story goes from here. Congratulations to all involved, to you I tip my hat and offer a very gracious Thank You. Expand
  19. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie was truly fantastic. The common grievances regarding too many stories packed into one film are legitimate which is what holds this review back. But truth be told, the movie was a fantastic re-imagining of the series. The DC universe is being made darker and people should be prepared for that going into the movie. If you, like many critics, are going in expecting charmingThis movie was truly fantastic. The common grievances regarding too many stories packed into one film are legitimate which is what holds this review back. But truth be told, the movie was a fantastic re-imagining of the series. The DC universe is being made darker and people should be prepared for that going into the movie. If you, like many critics, are going in expecting charming "save my cat, mister" or Christopher Reeve-era Superman then you are looking for a different movie and should readjust your expectations. This is an impressive film that explores a truly "human" alien and his evolution into a new version of the shining light we all know and love. It's a new Superman for a new age. Bring on the sequel, Snyder and Goyer! Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    Superman has been redeemed.... It explained the story of superman origin so well and the action scenes were so well done! If you haven't seem it already I recommend you do so as soon as possible!! Well done Snyder well done...
  21. Jun 16, 2013
    Re-boot in every way imaginable. I found it quite enjoyable although slow in some parts. The action sequences were particularly entertaining. The story of Superman being a MAN and his relationship with both sets of parents was done very well. Although traditional Superman fans may disagree with changes to Kal/Clarks story and other characters, I believe it made this version better and fresh.
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    A very good movie. Yes it has a lot of action near the end, however the same can be said about The Avengers. CGI is used a lot, but that is because it is to support the fact that these are aliens that are fighting, not real people. These were clearly shown in the trailer. If you loved the trailers, then you would know that there is a lot of action scenes and CGI used. CharacterA very good movie. Yes it has a lot of action near the end, however the same can be said about The Avengers. CGI is used a lot, but that is because it is to support the fact that these are aliens that are fighting, not real people. These were clearly shown in the trailer. If you loved the trailers, then you would know that there is a lot of action scenes and CGI used. Character development is really focused on Superman, Jonathan Kent and Jor El. Superb acting from Henry Cavill, Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe and surprisingly, Amy Adams. I had my doubts about her, but she did an amazing job as Lois. This is not a throwback to the old Superman movies. You must accept it like Batman Begins, an origin story that is much different than what you are used to. The only problem comes from the fact that we didn't really understand Clark's struggle as an adult like we did with Bruce in Batman Begins. They could have explored it further. The story was great for what it was. I think that now that we have characters set up, we can expect an even better sequel. It might not have lived to the hype for some, but there is no argument that this was a great movie. Especially when compared to Superman 3,4, and Returns. I think it is on the same level as Superman 2. Some could argue that it is better. Just watch the movie and prepare to be amazed. Expand
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    You can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of thatYou can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of that darkness. Its a darker, smarter, and brilliant Superman and superhero film. Zack Snyder wouldnt have be my first choice for this film, but took what he had and used it well. I think what really offputs critics and viewers was the use of Nolans (The director of The Dark Knight franchise) name in the film. I think alot expected to see a brilliant witty and twisty dark film, but were instead given a brilliant Superman film. Superman is not Batman, and never will be. In my view, this is just a start in what will be an amazing new imagining of the Man of Steel. Expand
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    Christopher Nolan and Zack need to do more films together. With Nolan dealing with the writing and Zack dealing with the directing they could go really far. This was a superman movie with no generic kryptonite weaknesses or corny lines but one that was actually serious
  25. Jun 21, 2013
    Man of Steel was not what I expected it to be. Snyder and Nolan took a huge risk but I think it may have been well worth it. Many people complain and compare these superhero films to their comic book counterparts (which I never do). It is nearly a known fact that text sources are substantially greater than anything a film studio could ever compile. As a film, Man of Steel has a wellMan of Steel was not what I expected it to be. Snyder and Nolan took a huge risk but I think it may have been well worth it. Many people complain and compare these superhero films to their comic book counterparts (which I never do). It is nearly a known fact that text sources are substantially greater than anything a film studio could ever compile. As a film, Man of Steel has a well developed plot which isn't too complicated along with what many may call "excess" action. Cavill and Adams have good chemistry as Clark and Lois which I hope may develop more in the following films. Overall, the film was great but there is some room for improvement for the next films. Expand
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    Superman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt of being forged in empyrean; an essential god simply created to out-do whatever other heroes had been envisioned at the time; a simple product ofSuperman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt of being forged in empyrean; an essential god simply created to out-do whatever other heroes had been envisioned at the time; a simple product of testosterone fueled imaginations. At least that’s how it seems to me, and yet, that very individual is the champion of what could very well be one of my favorite movies of the past few years, Man of Steel.

Sure, call it high praise, but I’m serious; it’s at least managed to claim the title of “Favorite Superhero Movie,” quite easily. Before I get into it, let me talk about the biggest issue and then clarify it for you: this isn’t Christopher Nolan’s movie. I lost track of how many times, when talking about Man of Steel, people have claimed, “Well it’s gotta be good, Nolan did it.” No, he didn’t. He is one of five or so executive producers, and had a finger or two not even a hand in its entirety in the story (though, arguably he is the one that had this project green lit, so cheers to that). Similarly, many reviews suggest that Director Zack Snyder attempted to “Nolan-ize” Superman, but assuming that causes expectations to never be fulfilled this is not The Dark Knight with Superman. So let’s give commendation to those who may have gone unnoticed under Nolan’s shadow: Snyder and Writer David Goyer.

Read more http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/man-of-steel-review/
  27. Jun 23, 2013
    BEST SUPERMAN IN YEARS....!!! GREAT ACTION, NEW FEATURES, GREAT HISTORY GREAT BATLES AND A CONTROVERSIAL ENDING... WHY 55/100 SO NOW YOU ARE SAYING THAT SUPERMAN RESTURNS IS BETTER THAN MAN OF STEEL... DUDES READ COMICS
  28. Jul 2, 2013
    Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!
  29. Jun 29, 2013
    I don't know what think the professional criticism with this film, but I really enjoy it. Blessed effort Trio: Snyder Goyer Nolan, because they managed to shoot a powerful superhero movie and I'm not surprised that I liked, because principal or not, Mr. Nolan does not disappoint me. Neither Snyder, because somehow manages to entertain us with his movies and this has made him do.
    The
    The new Superman is, for better and for worse, a grand ENTERTAINMENT. The downside may be that the story of Kal-El is well known, the same way you came to the earth and all that, but had the ability Goyer innovarla aesthetic treatment plot, but can lead to messes.
    From the technical standpoint, The Man of Steel is an outstanding film.
    In between, light, fire and much destruction, perhaps too much, I think why not cheer Snyder in his movies. Here nothing but more blood lacks.
    Nostalgia should not prevent us from recognizing the work of the composer bestial header Nolan, Hans Zimmer I mean, always very well shot and seasoned with his music.
    Good deal, good technology and music bill but what Nolan and Goyer have done with Superman? For they have gone beyond the mere update and have given the hero and his entire mythology a more realistic, but more mature severoy.

With that, and especially with everything else, The Man of Steel is, not without doubts a thirtysomething as the undersigned will arouses nostalgia gravitational force exerted by the Richard Donner-tape the best Superman to the date in my opinion. Man of Steel is excessive, in its form and in its duration, overloaded, noisy and with a vocation of seriousness and solemnity that kills that eternal innocence endearing character that Christopher Reeve did. That loses but wins more.
    I think I speak for many when I say that at least this movie is better than the last, Superman Returns, that bore more than entertain.
    But when a verdict, we must not forget that this has only just begun. Still hope to see more.
    My Score: 9.3
  30. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's face it folks, there has not been a great Superman movie since Christopher Reeves soared the screens in 1978. With a new reboot of the Man of Steel, we can anticipate it as either being very good or really bad. The big critics seem to agree with such a notion. They either liked it or hated it. There is no middle ground. For me, the revived super hero film is something to admire again with a fresh slate.

Many of the strengths of this new Superman is its imaginative creativity on how it focuses on both the hero's struggles and his origin. The opening sequence of Krypton is simply a stunning visual feast that puts the compacted ice cave from the past Superman films to shame. Here, Zack Snyder and the VFX team has given us a world with spaceships, monsters, people, battles, and ultimately life and destruction. In other words, the beginning sets the tone in plot and action, like any good superhero flick should. The rest of the film is dedicated to how the protagonist learns of his past and how he evolves from an outcast with special abilities to something more. While this is sounds familiar, writer David S. Goyer gives us more back story, filling factors that were never really explored in other movies of the franchise. One such example is rather than jumping ahead with the famed Lex Luther villain, this movie's plot introduces an antagonist that has seemed to slip into oblivion...General Zod from the home world of Krypton. Like with the League of Shadows for Batman, this establishes hero's first and most important villain that has come to haunt him...a blast from the past so to speak.

Zack Snyder as director has an eye for stunning visual effects and knowing how to form a wide scope of imagination (just watch 300 and Watchmen). He also knows how to create action sequences worth remembering. Believe me, they are abundant in this movie, but they are not overbearing like in a Michael Bay film. There is a reason to them for the plot. The one thing that I seem to enjoy about the most of this movie is Hans Zimmer's musical composition. While it is unfair to say that it is better than what John Williams did in 1978, he makes something memorable and uplifting. Though doubtful, it would be appropriate for him to receive some accolades for it.

The cast in this movie is full of big names and stars. They range from the popular Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Amy Adams to the small players like Christopher Meloni, Michael Shannon, and Laurence Fishburne. Each appear to fit their parts well, but some are greater than others. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane turn in some subtle and believable performances as Superman's human parents. Whereas Russell Crowe seems to be playing himself more or less as Jor-el and Michael Shannon as General Zod has the overgrowing tendency of swelling up with anger like a child who's toy has been taken from him. Amy Adams is a little old than what I imagine for Lois Lane, but she is still lovely and plausible. Henry Cavill as Superman is the man who carries the film. He is gentle in his role and plays the outcast side of the Man of Steel well. As a superhero, he appears a bit emotionless. Then again, Superman was not known for showing much emotion.

Though I kind of have mixed feelings about the casts' performances, I am bothered the most by the style of storytelling. In comparison to the linear story method used in the 1978 film, this movie jumps around from different scenes in the first hour that seem not to relate or make sense. The accompanied flashbacks thrown in of Superman's childhood on earth makes it even more perplexing. Fortunately, the second half of the film makes up for the confusion that the first act and a half make. All things considering, "Man of Steel" has started a potentially promising new restart for Superman.
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally, Superman pitched in epic battle doing things we have only imagined from still images in comics or animated films. While I hope to see more of the backstory develop over the course of the trilogy, this is definitely a movie not to be missed and evidence once again that the critics have no idea what the audience wants in an action packed film. Best film of the summer!
  32. Jun 26, 2013
    Man of steel is so great those critics realy nothing I mean the story was great the cast was good and henry vavill was perfect as superman for someone who just stepped on the scene okay he aint no christian bale or robert Downey jr but he is on the right way love this movie thanks to this my love for superman grew even stronger
  33. Jun 23, 2013
    This is by far the best depiction of the Superman origin story ever put on screen. The critics are dead wrong about this movie, I simply cannot understand what is going on in their heads. This isn't a Donner/Lester sequel, this isn't Superman Returns, it's a brand new Superman origin story. Just watch it, you won't regret it. It also deserves at least two viewings to get at all the nuancesThis is by far the best depiction of the Superman origin story ever put on screen. The critics are dead wrong about this movie, I simply cannot understand what is going on in their heads. This isn't a Donner/Lester sequel, this isn't Superman Returns, it's a brand new Superman origin story. Just watch it, you won't regret it. It also deserves at least two viewings to get at all the nuances of the epic SF scope the movie sets up, which is also my only gripe with Man of Steel it crams maybe a little bit too much into one movie, which makes the dialogue feel "stiff". However, on the second viewing you notice that almost every spoken sentence makes sense and carries weight, adding meaning and detail to a very thought through story. Excellent reboot. Expand
  34. Jun 26, 2013
    Welcome to the Planet"

VERY happy to report that Man of Steel was a VERY satisfying movie. 9/10 for sure. Really wish I could have seen it on opening day instead of reading reviews, listening to feedback that almost put another image of the movie in my mind. But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit
    Welcome to the Planet"

But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit off.

But all in all, really happy as a Superman fan to see so much of his sci-fi mythos incorporated. For people's reactions to his existence being similar to that shown in the earliest depictions of him, late 1930s, early 1940s.

And for some witty one liners. If you are still hung up on the variant of the character you saw in either the 1950s TV series or the first two Christopher Reeve movies, you will be disappointed. I want to see the movie again. Indeed I do
  35. Jun 26, 2013
    first, english is not my mother tongue so forgive me my mistakes. and lets start with the critic of superman, the well as it seems, most discussed and most dividing comic book adapting movie so far.

which is basiclly zacks snyders doing. cause like not a lot of other directors, he provokes people into making a stand for their opinion, no matter if its postiv or negativ on his behalf. its simple and easy: you love or you hate a zack snyder movie, there is no inbetween. no "thx, it was nice but left no impression whatsoever" movie, like we have a lot going on nowadays.
    the story was solid, logical and easy to follow for people who never heard of superman before, and even for fans of the comics, it wasn't boring thx to the non linear story telling of supermans childhood. the glimpses of the past give the viewer a good look into the brooding and drifting beeing, that superman is at the beginning of the story. and helps understand why he is living this vagabond live and not already is the great superhero you would expect.
    the cast was perfect and everyone showed his best in portraing his/her character. the action was epic, but, and there the movie lost the one point to the perfect 10 with me, it was a little to much. means 10 minutes lesser action and 10 minutes more character moments would have made the movie perfect. the music was, like always with hans zimmer, brilliant. it set the right tone to every scene.
    and no, it was not a colourful or witty movie, like the old ones with christopher reeves. it was serious and dark. but this is what made the movie so enjoyable. cause we are not lving in colourful and witty times. and no one wants to see a bing bang comic book hero anymore. there not believable and they are not human.
    the outstanding part of the movie was done by henry cavill. he made the main character, an alien, human and relatable. not with grand gestures, not with wits or charms. but by showing, under the hardest circumstances that he has not only the looks to play superman but also the acting skills,espacialy with his small but honest facetts ins his face. playing with a cast where several members were oscar nominated more than once and even win the oscar more than once in some cases is already huge. but having more than the half of the movie green and blue screen time, more than his share of physical action and the weight of one of the most iconic characters in comic book and movie history on his shoulders, given all that, he realy did a super human beeing job. cause his superman is more human than some of the humans surrounding him. and he's believable. and the bright honest smile he gives at the end of the movie, when he finaly turns into clark kent (no, not into superman, into his alter ego), gives us hope to see more of this in a sequel that may come. it gives us a glimps of the charm, the witts and the humanity we're to expect.
    so this movie and his main character did their best, to bring a new superman on screen. one that is relatable to the 21 centuries. and to all the critics out there, you realy should watch it a second time and you should watch closely....cause for me, you haven't understood the movie at all. which is bad, considering your line of work.
  36. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. incredible movie,incredible soundtrack,incredible action!Best superman movie ever seen.Henry cavill is ideal,Russell crowe is amazing and the action?Ohh is unstoppable! Expand
  37. Jul 1, 2013
    This was not an easy 10 but it just fits, after thinking about the movie it has a lot more positive things than negative, because if you saw the last superman movie this is a complete revolution, from the hand of masters of science fiction like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan this films looks awesome and for being a superhero has not a predictable screenplay, because they did what Superman wasThis was not an easy 10 but it just fits, after thinking about the movie it has a lot more positive things than negative, because if you saw the last superman movie this is a complete revolution, from the hand of masters of science fiction like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan this films looks awesome and for being a superhero has not a predictable screenplay, because they did what Superman was missing, weakness, humanity that proves he is really affected by being part of the humans, that can be either a disadvantage or an advantage for him.

Apart from the story, also the characters are believable and truly well performed, specially for Michael Shanon and Henry Cavill. The action as well as the scenery are at the height of the movie, and if you are not a superman comic book fan, the history of his origins is gratefully told.

In average this movie really stands out for its production, story and actors, and the only real disadvantages are that for the comic book fans this will not be the ideal movie that sticks perfectly with the origins of superman and also that in some parts Mrs Lane makes the movie a little silly returning to the predictable stuff of a superhero.
  38. Jul 1, 2013
    When I have first time heard about new superman, i thought it's a crap. But film is awesome, really I don't like superman franchise but this film is really good
  39. Jun 18, 2013
    Blew my mind. Over the top Zack Snyder action, good story telling to accompany it. Went into it with high expectations and it still knocked my socks off. It's not perfect, but for a Superman movie it's as close as it gets.
  40. Jun 22, 2013
    I think a lot of movie critics are being too harsh with this one. I like the darker tone of thos movie and a found the characters very interesting. I do agree the fight sceenes were over done. Overall I really enjoyed this movie.
  41. Jun 26, 2013
    Good movie, but fans of comics should be aware that this is slightly different interpretation of the well-known stories. The only thing that upsets is an abundance of special effects. Sometimes you want to say, "Whoa, wait. I do not understand what's going on.". A start. I hope they can bring the franchise to a new level, more than just a summer blockbuster.
  42. Jun 23, 2013
    Wow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. ThereWow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. There were some questionable scenes in the movie like when Louis Lane showed up at the fight scene near the end at Grand Central Station so fast or how they recklessly fight everywhere. But these are just minor things. Nothing like how the critics made it sound it's terrible. It'snot They are terrible at having an opinion. Best Superman yet. Expand
  43. Jul 12, 2013
    All the mythical universe is here, updated and with all respect the character deserves. Good cast, great direction and even emotional moments made this the best movie of 2013 so far.
  44. Jun 24, 2013
    I loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made this movie; the critics seem to hate this taking on the role of a serious sci-fi movie, but that’s what made it for me. I’m certain that the sequel willI loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made this movie; the critics seem to hate this taking on the role of a serious sci-fi movie, but that’s what made it for me. I’m certain that the sequel will have more levity in it, now that Superman has really arrived. The acting was fantastic, the visuals were spectacular, and I found it to be quite moving. Yes, the Christ-imagery is overplayed, but he *is* a modern savior figure. I had low expectations after Superman Returns, but I loved this film.

Also, Russell Crowe nearly stole the show. I’d watch a prequel, “Krypton,” starring him as Jor-El. The opening sequence on Krypton was really, really good!
  45. Jun 30, 2013
    The director manage to deliver a fresh and new story about his past and his present, but it does devolve a bit into repeated action and demolishing cities. In general the movie leaves a good taste of what we can expect in the future.
  46. Jun 15, 2013
    Minutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poorMinutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poor acting? The acting was fine (in fact, beyond just "fine") and I, not known to cry ever, teared up on multiple occasions. Beyond on that, a beautiful and chilling score accompanies this fine movie making it the blockbuster we've been hoping for from the Superman franchise. Go see this movie and forget what the critics are saying. Expand
  47. Jun 26, 2013
    I don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and itI don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and it even gave space for a good measure of character development --lots of film with a higher Metacritic score can't say half of that.

I understand die-hard fans of Superman may expected something else, something more 'faithful' to what the comic may be, and that's why some were disappointed. But I hope you get to this film without expectations, just with the desire to watch something fun and good, then you may enjoy this very, very good film.

Waiting for the blu-ray release.
  48. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a great re-imagining of the Superman origin story and gave a fresh taste combined with tons of action to make a true entertaining popcorn movie of the summer.

Zack Snyder is a loyal comic book fan and those of you that did not like Watchmen did not read the comics. He was hired for one real purpose, to breathe action and special effects into Superman, something he excels at.

Moviegoers, and I call them that to separate them from fans which have a different take on Superman, had spoken at the close of Superman Returns. They said things from, "too much like Christopher Reeve" to "not enough action" to "Superman is stale, let him let loose". Warner Brothers listened and they gave you the opposite of a Christopher Reeve Superman. In Man of Steel, Superman did all of those things, he let loose his rage and fought an army of people with the same abilities. No Lex Luthor, no mind games, all action. We got a mythology rich in science fiction story not to mention we got Russell Crowe as daddy Superman Jor-El who got lots of screen time to show us what the house of El can do!

The casting was terific! Henry Cavill's Superman is bold, fresh and lets face it, he looks like Superman. Amy Adams is much more level headed and has a great deal more of common sense then Kate Bosworth did as Lois Lane. She is believable in the role. I loved Brandon Routh and thought he was a great Superman, but he was Christopher Reeve, so if we are going to move beyond Christopher Reeve then Cavill makes a nice contrast. Laurence Fishburn as Perry White! Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as the Kents. It all made for rich storytelling and well acted roles. The only thing better was imagining who was going to be in the next movie and what bad guy was going to get screen time!

If you were hoping for another Superman Returns, then this is not your picture. This is a rollercoaster moving at mach speeds with enough action to give you PTSD by the end of the movie. It's not Shakespeare but it is an iconic comic book character come to life in true comic book fashion. I highly recommend seeing this movie in a movie theater and if possible, spend the extra 10 bucks for iMax.
  49. Jun 16, 2013
    This is the Superman movie people have been waiting years for earnest, not smirking or offering obvious fan service, no camp, no apologizing for the source material at all. The tender moments have true weight and give the viewer a sense for what goes on behind making a Superman his parents, his friends, his experiences growing up, his view on the world, ranging from the great to theThis is the Superman movie people have been waiting years for earnest, not smirking or offering obvious fan service, no camp, no apologizing for the source material at all. The tender moments have true weight and give the viewer a sense for what goes on behind making a Superman his parents, his friends, his experiences growing up, his view on the world, ranging from the great to the terrible. The villains are introduced as evil yet not moustache-twirling caricatures. There is no fat on this movie, everything has its purpose and every character even ancillary ones are given their place in the (Earth's yellow) sun. Expand
  50. Jun 24, 2013
    If you enjoyed The Avengers & Iron Man 3, then you haven't seen MAN OF STEEL yet. This movie up the ante for the superheroes genre. The action alone leaves all others in the dustbin. While all other superheroes in recent past were all patterned after Donner's Superman films (except for Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy), this one is not. You won't find Robert Downey Jr.'s humor here. HenryIf you enjoyed The Avengers & Iron Man 3, then you haven't seen MAN OF STEEL yet. This movie up the ante for the superheroes genre. The action alone leaves all others in the dustbin. While all other superheroes in recent past were all patterned after Donner's Superman films (except for Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy), this one is not. You won't find Robert Downey Jr.'s humor here. Henry Cavill's elusive "brooding" take of the comic character is far different from Christopher Reeve's charismatic friendly turn because Snyder's darkly-serious MAN OF STEEL is not Donner's straight-from-the-comic-book colorful SUPERMAN. Despite the stark contrast, Cavill was able to capture the magic back that was long-missing since Chris Reeve hang up his bright red cape. Cavill on film, you would swear, on several scenes and at certain angles, looking like the late great Reeve. He has the same convincing intensity onscreen as the late actor. You wouldn't wince but nod in familiar recognition that this actor is indeed the Superman we all missed all these years despite of many others' attempt to measure up with Reeve's indelible iconic take. We remember the media were all hailing Brandon Routh's close resemblance to Chris Reeve but after getting picked & cast for this reason in 2006's SUPERMAN RETURNS, it turned out he didn't look the part & came across unconvincing. Indeed, good things come to those who are willing to wait & the wait paid off for Henry Cavill and for this reboot. It's everything we ever wanted from a Superman film minus the cheesiness. With today's technical advances, Snyder & company were able to re-imagine for us what our favorite hero could be without limits. Forget about what critics are saying about MAN OF STEEL. They did not get a pay cut from the film's promoters that's why. Instead, listen to the movie-going public who were right to give it an A- rating in Cinemascore. In Rotten Tomatoes, SUPERMAN RETURNS got a 75% rating from the critics while MAN OF STEEL gets only 56%? Go figure... Expand
  51. Jun 25, 2013
    I been waiting for a perfect superman my whole life
    and yes i got to see it in Man of steel
    The story was perfect. this is exactly how one should say a superman story
    itss just perfect
    the movie had everything from emotions to actions
    i give a 10 on 10 for this movie
    and waitng to watch it the 5th time in theatre
  52. Jun 30, 2013
    Awesome movie!!! Left us wanting for more. Can't wait for MAN OF STEEL 2. We wanna see more of the Clark & Lois romance in the sequel since there's less of it in this one. The action was just over the top! We came in famish for a good movie & came out fat-bellied with satisfaction, gluttons at best, wanting more of that cinematic buffet greatness. MAN OF STEEL is the beast of allAwesome movie!!! Left us wanting for more. Can't wait for MAN OF STEEL 2. We wanna see more of the Clark & Lois romance in the sequel since there's less of it in this one. The action was just over the top! We came in famish for a good movie & came out fat-bellied with satisfaction, gluttons at best, wanting more of that cinematic buffet greatness. MAN OF STEEL is the beast of all superhero action movies we kid you not! We love this movie so much that we clamor for the next installment to be as great if not greater. We want perhaps a Brainiac-controlled billionaire Lex Luthor versus billionaire Bruce Wayne in the mix as well as the introduction of Wonder Woman's character to pave the way for THE JUSTICE LEAGUE. How will Zack Snyder-David Goyer do it? DC & WB trusted them on the first installment, they couldn't go wrong to leave it up to this team-up for the next ones. Hope Chris Nolan is still on board cuz he does make a difference even for just consultation. Expand
  53. Jul 1, 2013
    By far the best movie for the year 2013. Critics: this is a newer version of the superman, its not a remake but its a reboot to the franchise. It does not necessary have to be in line with all the previous movies or the comic. Way better than Avengers or even iron man.
    Awesome, Legendary & Epic!!!!
  54. Jul 4, 2013
    Man of Steel was an excellent movie, both emotionally gripping, suspenseful, and entertaining! I've seen this Movie twice and looking forward to owning it on DVD. I love the Modern version of superman. His Humility, kindness and moral was moving. I cried a few times thru out the film! I love superman but this by far has got to be my favorite version!
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    Esta película es fantástica los efectos especiales son espectaculares la lucha impresionante es genial Snyder.

Muy de la Justice League

Viva Man of Steel
  56. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel delivers the beginning of something greater, I couldn't ask for anything more from a origin story. The building blocks are in place for the DC Universe to expand upon.

Stunning, Amazing, Beautiful, Exhilarating!

MASTERPIECE
  57. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've now watched the film 3 times... After the initial trailers hit the screen I couldn't wait to see it but I have to admit after the first viewing I felt a little disappointed and a bit cheated However, on viewing it a second time... What can I say... The sound track was the first thing I noticed and it frankly blew me away finally we can move on from Mr Williams wee tune. My thoughts regarding the film are probably best summed up in the following review http://screenrant.com/man-of-steel-reviews-2013-superman/ Expand
  58. Jun 19, 2013
    It wasn't prefect but I liked the way they tried to reinvent the canon. The acting was well done in my opinion, even though the story was nothing new. Some of the action sequences were a bit drawn out but other than that I enjoyed this installment of the Superman franchise.
  59. Jun 16, 2013
    Man Of Steel. First word to describe it is WOW. Some of the best action and special effects I have ever seen, jaw dropping stuff. Also some really big ideas and themes of being a God among men. I really liked Cavill as Superman as well. However I can't help but compare to things like The Dark Knight and Avengers, and its not as good. It doesn't have the true darkness of Batman and doesn'tMan Of Steel. First word to describe it is WOW. Some of the best action and special effects I have ever seen, jaw dropping stuff. Also some really big ideas and themes of being a God among men. I really liked Cavill as Superman as well. However I can't help but compare to things like The Dark Knight and Avengers, and its not as good. It doesn't have the true darkness of Batman and doesn't have the wit and charm of Avengers. I don't think Man Of Steel has one joke and as good as the action is, maybe there is just too much which takes away the impact. However I still really enjoyed it and it has to be seen at the cinema. Expand
  60. Jun 15, 2013
    Went into this expecting to be disappointed, honestly. With all the super hero movies coming out I didn't expect much. Man of Steel was shockingly good though. Lots of early buildup, an amazing soundtrack, and the last half hour of the movie was raw action. I don't know how in the world any critics rate this lower than a 65 or 70...
  61. Jun 15, 2013
    This was not only the best superhero movie to date but also the most thrilling summer movie in memory. Fans of Superman will be very pleased by his treatment in this film and hopefully chase any lingering angst from the previous debacle .This is also a movie for anime fans as this is the Dragonball movie they deserve. I can not give a higher recomendation. See this movie!
  62. Jun 22, 2013
    Its a bird, its a plane, no- its a reboot. This makeover is raw steak without the sizzle. For some it may be hard to swallow if you're used to Disney themes. Don't look for the cute puppy scenes to sooth your family with at this film, because the producers/director let the ravenous bulldogs out. Its silently operatic and combined with themes from Inception and Dark Night. -Derrick G
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    Very excited for a very long time to see what Snyder and Nolan could do. Love 300 and the Batman trilogy so I figured this would be a sure fire hit. While it was good and Henry Cavill is an excellent casting of Superman, the movie did get very long. There were so many climaxes that it became exhausting. Seeing this in 3d was probably not necessary and maybe even detracted from the film dueVery excited for a very long time to see what Snyder and Nolan could do. Love 300 and the Batman trilogy so I figured this would be a sure fire hit. While it was good and Henry Cavill is an excellent casting of Superman, the movie did get very long. There were so many climaxes that it became exhausting. Seeing this in 3d was probably not necessary and maybe even detracted from the film due to the intentionally unstable camera work. This is definitely a film to see in the theater, but only worthy of a matinee. Obvious as it is, this is still a great launching point for a sequel(s). Expand
  64. Jun 17, 2013
    Is a new generation for Superman.Realism does not mean pessimism.Man of Steel is under the sign of Hope.Clark finally discovered who he is and why he is here.He now knows his real name Kal-El. Film that the world needs these days.A unifying symbol for America and for all peoples 10/10
  65. Jul 16, 2013
    55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I understand drama and art-house lovers may find this movie offending for their sensitive feelings, but I believe they are just a minority from crowd. Definitely worth wachig. I also reccomend critics to rethink their marks. Expand
  66. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply put, best Superman movie ever made, period.
    Finally some action, we all know the back story, this movie gives it a good twist. Seen it twice, worth every cent.
  67. Jun 17, 2013
    Los flashbacks que muestran a Crark son mis partes favoritas, el es un alien PERO (es mas humano que algunas personas que existen en el mundo que no tienen corazón, aquí su vida es trágica) Los momentos de Kevin Costner padre e hijo muy emotivos (la escena del tornado es la mas tristona, y muy importante a pesar de que algunos crean que fue una muerte tonta) se te salen las lagrimas. LuegoLos flashbacks que muestran a Crark son mis partes favoritas, el es un alien PERO (es mas humano que algunas personas que existen en el mundo que no tienen corazón, aquí su vida es trágica) Los momentos de Kevin Costner padre e hijo muy emotivos (la escena del tornado es la mas tristona, y muy importante a pesar de que algunos crean que fue una muerte tonta) se te salen las lagrimas. Luego la película me parece un poco larga, pudieron cortar algunas escenas de explosiones como la de ‘terraformar’ (que es algo pesada)…Las batallas entre Kryptonianos son BRUTALES (Zack Snyder of course), nunca lo habíamos visto repartir y recibir golpes de esa forma en el cine live-action, ese ”CRACK!” cuando le rompe el cuello a Zod es supremo! (luego se nota su arrepentimiento, es un momento épico, algo como: “No use mis poderes y deje morir a mi padre, ya es suficiente, ahora el mundo se puede ir a la mierda si no los uso”) La escena final pudieron hacerla mejor, pudieron recortar algunas explosiones casi innecesarias y así darle unos minutos mas (es fugas) ademas la cinta prueba que la serie de tv Smallville es innecesaria ya que en Man of Steel se cuenta la historia de Clark muy claramente y de manera mas emotiva… sales muy satisfecho del cine. 9/10 Expand
  68. Jun 19, 2013
    Anyone who went to see "Man of Steel" expecting a Dances with wolves" or Black Swan" class of film will be sorely dissapointed. Superhero movies are not meant to winn best movie at the oscars; In the best of cases they are meant to be entertaining.
    That said its pleasing to see that this film does rise above the average superhero movie, Zack Snyder presents a fresh new version of the Superman storyline with a hero that had roots on a much darker corrupted Krypton. The film makes an attempt at staining our beloved boyscout with tryials both moral and philosophical, in this they succeed at least in part. The end result is a more believable human, Superman, one that doesnt just fight for good simply because he does; there is now reason and emotion behind his way of thinking, leaving the audience to ponder how close it all came for him to turn into someone like Zod.
  69. Jun 16, 2013
    To first put my perspective of Superman in check would be to inform you of what I've seen before. There are of course the first two Christopher Reeve movies (I skipped out on III and IV simply because I've heard nothing but terrible things) from which I moved onto Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns. I enjoyed the romanticism and meditation of that film despite it now being panned byTo first put my perspective of Superman in check would be to inform you of what I've seen before. There are of course the first two Christopher Reeve movies (I skipped out on III and IV simply because I've heard nothing but terrible things) from which I moved onto Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns. I enjoyed the romanticism and meditation of that film despite it now being panned by pretty much any fan boy you talk to. I've never seen an episode of "Smallville" and sans for a couple of animated features my knowledge of the DC mainstay is somewhat limited. Thus it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to a new vision, a re-booted film interpretation in line with Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy that has defined the space that films based on DC comics characters will occupy in this Marvel world. Personally, and as much as I enjoy the Marvel movies, I was more intrigued and engaged by the bleak and more serious moods that hung over the Nolan films as they were appropriate to the central characters tone. Though I was slightly concerned with this same tone not applying to the guy commonly referred to as the ultimate boy scout it seems that persona was not always true and director Zack Snyder along with Nolan as a producer and David Goyer (who also penned the screenplay for Batman Begins) have adapted the Superman story to not only exist in a similar universe with Nolan's Batman films, but within his own, more realistic world that doesn't simply pit the classic superhero against a bad guy in order to champion truth, justice and the American way. What they have done here and what makes me appreciate the film all the more is that while keeping in step with the kind of movies Nolan has made DC could attempt a Justice League movie in the future with this as a good place to start, but it also doesn't limit itself to that same completely realistic world of what we know because Superman is an alien and with that they ask the question of what would happen in a real world setting if Superman were to show up. It is that basic set-up that guides the film throughout and, despite a few flaws, had me gushing with excitement for what may come next.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  70. Jun 25, 2013
    Honestly, people argue that there wasn't enough emotion or light-heartened acting, but there was. I do think that there was a bit too much action at parts but the way that Snyder captures Superman is just incredible. He is definitely and Alien and deserves more credit at a critical stance (talking about Superman)
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    This was one of the best remakes ever made. Man of Steel kept a distance between 78's Superman. Zack did a very good job as a director, and the writers did a great job with the story. The fighting sequences were awesome. This movie felt like a modern reimagination of Superman with new technology. The movie is definetely a summer blockbuster and will hit the billion mark.
    I give Man of
    I give Man of Steel a 10/10...
  72. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of steel brings the superman mythos into the 21st and firmly places him back on top. From the performances to the action directions Zack Snyder brought to the table. A brilliant telling of the first and greatest superhero to ever grace the big screen and comics. nuff said
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel is beyond super; it's superb. Man of Steel soars, it's imagery is breathtaking. At times, I certainly couldn't believe my eyes. It's definitely the first movie of the summer to live up to it's hype. An absolute must see.

I went in with the highest expectations, usually no movie can ever smash your expectations but Man of Steel certainly does that. From the moment on Krypton to one of the final moments in Metropolis. It leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat through and through. It's perfect.
  74. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is amazing, seriously is the best Superman Movie ever made, great acting, great characters developed, great villain, and so incredible action scenes, the best movie of Mr. Snyder, the Man of Steel is the move fans were waiting to see all their life.
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    This is one of my candidates for all time greatest movie experiences. Wow. Amazing. Great acting, story and effects. Of course they must fight for 45 minutes, it's four super men fighting it out, they don't die easy, and the city being destroyed was realistic and exciting. Too bad critics just look for negatives, being a critic does not mean be critical.
  76. Jun 16, 2013
    In a time when Comic-book characters showing their prime in celluloid, Superman, I believe, is bit outdated; out of the league. One of the first superhero of this genre, Superman gradually became an American icon and a symbol of hope and courage. But in recent times nobody really seemed to care about Superman a man in shining blue-red suit. Young generation now hardly relate with SupermanIn a time when Comic-book characters showing their prime in celluloid, Superman, I believe, is bit outdated; out of the league. One of the first superhero of this genre, Superman gradually became an American icon and a symbol of hope and courage. But in recent times nobody really seemed to care about Superman a man in shining blue-red suit. Young generation now hardly relate with Superman when they have more realistic gadget oriented Batman or Iron man. This was the most important part for Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer How to present Superman in current time? Okay, lets show him not as a Superman rather show him as an outcast, struggling between two worlds. An alien who still searches his roots. There Snyder, Nolan and Goyer wins the race.

Richard Donner showed the world that we're going to believe a man can fly. But for what price? Donner made a Superman which is still now a confusing piece of work as far Superman is concerned. He never tried to show struggles of Superman; he just went with the flow and tried hard to give goosebumps to audience showing some 'there he is' type moments. That is why in 1978 Superman was a hit and in modern times it mostly criticised by modern audiences.

Nolan knew one thing "we cannot afford to show the same origin story again and again'. So with Snyder and Goyer he comes up with a brilliant idea. Snyder shows that this is Kal-El and he's no Superman. He has powers but he cannot show them. This is hard time, Govt. officials are looking for alien specimens, so showing off powers and then moving on as Clark Kent sounds extremely stupid. They made Kal-El more human material, more grounded. His powers are not a matter of pride, those are his biggest problems of his life. Man of Steel is a story about an alien who lives among the humans and struggles with his powers.

Man of Steel just showed what can happen when alien powers collide. Ripping off White House's head is not what they do. Complete destruction is what happens. The fight between Kal-El and Faora & her partner showed that this is what Donner was missing out. Extreme level action. Who cares about the surroundings? Donner did!

Everything made absolute sense. Why Zod, why Kal, why Krypton exploded i mean everything. No half chances in this movie. Henry Cavill is the most suitable Superman I have ever seen. He is 1000 times better than any Superman be it Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh (that's not Superman), George Reeve, etc. Cavill is the best. He has that expression of agony being an outcast alien. Others were just happy to be a Superman! Duh!

Overall this is the best rendition of Superman in big screen. Go for it!
  77. Jun 16, 2013
    Great movie, and great origin story. the movie didn't feel like 2.5 hours long. the pacing was great, and I loved Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie had everything, good story telling, serious tone and hints of humor.
  78. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel may have the greatest action in a movie, ever and has a pretty good story to go with it. The film starts with great action with a huge battle on krypton and finishes with a huge battle on earth. The actors did there part and were able to engage the audience most of the time.

Towards the begging of the film there was forced chemistry between some characters but towards the end they greatly improved. Superman's origin was greatly told through flashbacks.

The special effects were amazing and always kept me entertained.
  79. Jun 17, 2013
    Reviewers need to calm down and stop comparing this to the reeve films, why cant they understand that this is different.People saying its a "Special effects fiasco" are idiots its a Superman movie he flies, shoots lasers out of his eyes, and lifts cars, and fights robots i didn't think the special effects are a great addition in the movie
  80. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely MIND-BLOWING action scenes mixed with very choppy and sometimes bad character development. The main fault of the movie is Superman himself. While he can be shown struggling at a young age, and gives you a sense of where he's coming from and what he's been dealing with, he's never shown as being a fun, humorous character, which is something I personally disliked, but might be completely the opposite for other viewers. Michael Shannon does an ok job as Zod, but feels like a missed opportunity. Antje Traue, who plays Faora, is amazingly good. Some characters are in the movie with practically no purpose at all, but the action scenes can be so good, and keep your mind off of the huge missteps the movie took. All in all, a great "action" movie, but falls in certain areas. Expand
  81. Jun 19, 2013
    Don't let the negative critics ruin your mood to watch this movie. It's awesome! Man of Steel provides amazing visuals and fight scenes worthy of a modern Superman movie. Although some of the scenes and dialogue can be a little shifty towards the Hollywood stereotype, there aren't any major problems with the overall aspect of the film. It's beautiful, exhilarating, and overall, fun.
  82. Jun 19, 2013
    Love the movie, this was the Superman, I've been waiting for better than the old ones no disrespect to Reeves, they did a awesome job, effects, action, seen the movie on the 14, and going back again to watch it on 3d, was worth every penny!!! Really don't care about what the critics had to say. Can't wait for blue-ray to come out pre-ordering at Wal-mart!! Whoever did not watch man ofLove the movie, this was the Superman, I've been waiting for better than the old ones no disrespect to Reeves, they did a awesome job, effects, action, seen the movie on the 14, and going back again to watch it on 3d, was worth every penny!!! Really don't care about what the critics had to say. Can't wait for blue-ray to come out pre-ordering at Wal-mart!! Whoever did not watch man of steel, go watch it do not listen to rotten tomatoes and all them critics, they have no idea what they talking about! Expand
  83. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. These critics are an absolute joke! This movie was awesome!! Only things I wasn't crazy about was the beginning scene on Krypton (avatar/star wars vibe) & the female beatin the hell out of Superman with absolute ease. People cryin about Superman killin Zod at the end are a bunch of hippie nerds. Naaa he should have just let Zod kill hundreds of thousands more ppl lol. Anyways if your any kind of fan of Superman or super hero movies go see this movie asap! Expand
  84. Jun 23, 2013
    nice surprise. not just a remake but new take on a old story. this is not your grandparents Superman, and that is good.
    A movie about a Super Man that shows the Humans as much as the Hero. Thank you Colonel Nathan Hardy and Jonathan Kent.
  85. Jul 17, 2013
    Never in my life have I seen something so amazing and epic like this on the big screen! This was just monumental when it comes to how grand of a spectacle it was. Not to mention the best comic book movie ever filmed.... Thanks again Zack Snyder!
  86. Jun 24, 2013
    I was never a big fan of superman, I just thought he was a pretty generic superhero when I was a kid. this movie though, while being very slow at parts, managed to make superman look epic. General Zod was a great villain also and the fight scenes were good as well.
  87. Jun 25, 2013
    Lets be honest its better than Superman Returns just kidding. Man Of Steel is a fresh, darker reboot of the superman franchise and its done really well with the film lasting 3 hours everything is explained from him being sent to earth but more importantly, why? A factor that a lot of past superman films left out. you don't need to be a massive superman fan to go see this i took myLets be honest its better than Superman Returns just kidding. Man Of Steel is a fresh, darker reboot of the superman franchise and its done really well with the film lasting 3 hours everything is explained from him being sent to earth but more importantly, why? A factor that a lot of past superman films left out. you don't need to be a massive superman fan to go see this i took my girlfriend and she loved it and i did to. General Zod is a fantastic bad guy and Russell crow is a fabulous Jur-al. The film has some amazing fighting scenes and a lot of flashbacks to a young Clark Kent to explain the hardships of him growing up this is certainly the superman film i was waiting for and its the one i got. Expand
  88. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Expectations are everything with movies. Before I saw Avengers I heard critics gushing about it and when I went to see it myself I was totally underwhelmed. Still not sure why everyone thought it was so great. I had just the opposite experience with Man of Steel. After hearing critics trash it I was expecting the worst. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The actors are all top notch. Cavill plays Superman very well. He's big and brawny but has a soft side. Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane. Not a damsel in distress at all, but an active part of the story. And it was smart to ditch the silly part of the Superman canon that Lois Lane is a top reporter but can't see through Clark's disguise. Zod was villainous, but not in a cartoony way. He's ruthless, but has his reasons. Faora is fantastic as well.

The story does suffer a little bit from all of the flashbacks, they can be jarring. But they make sense in that they all tie back to the present. I liked the fact that they show him as a hero during all stages of his life. The pacing was excellent. After starting on Krypton, they jump to the present and he dons the suit and cape relatively early on.

The action is off the charts. I know some critics have complained that it was too much CGI, but what did they expect? The had to show the epic scale of Superman's powers, so of course there would be a lot of special effects. Fun, fun stuff. It will leave you breathless. The final fight between Superman and Zod is brutal and more violent than seen in previous Superman films.

The end set up a sequel perfectly. Can't wait for another film plus Justice League. The only problem with that is that given how powerful Superman is in this universe, i can't imagine what kind of threat they would have to come up with that he would need help with.

Good movie, not great like Dark Knight, but fun and enjoyable.
  89. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was what a realistic superhero movie should be like! It truly showed the inner turmoil of a young Clark trying to balance saving lives with keeping his secret. Kevin Costner (Jon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El) contributed heavily to why Clark became Superman. Do you really think the military would not be interested in a super powered being and not be wary? The action sequences were heads above anything Marvel has ever done. The new twists on Krypton and how the Earths atmosphere affects Kryptonians was refreshing. Seen the movie three times! Don't listen to the critics...too many people as collateral damage, Superman doesn't kill, or any of that carp! Superman does kill..remember Superman II? Didn't remorse one bit when he killed Zod and the other two Kryptonians yet people think that's ok. I am a huge Superman fan and therefore really studied this movie and if it stunk, I would say say. We fans are usually the harshest critics! Can't wait for the sequel and Justice League! Henry Cavill is the man...Superman! Expand
  90. Jun 30, 2013
    Was a good movie, wish I could see a bit more of everything. Looking forward to Superman man of steel 2 if it being made ^^D Underrated film, really I think this film needs a better metascore.
  91. Jun 30, 2013
    To watch my video review for this film click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmJFT_Gx6g

The film is about whether Superman will be accepted for what he is on earth. The conflict in the film derives from the survival of either earth or Superman’s own species. General Zod is determined to save his own race from extinction even if that means destroying the human race. Despite the bullying and the secrecy that he has had to endure, Superman ultimately chooses the place he has grown up over his own race.
    You may recognise Michael Shannon from the Boardwalk Empire and I was surprised to see him fill such a big role in this film as General Zod. His character once again was one with strong beliefs and I think he carried out his role fairly well. Henry Cavel feels and looks right as Superman. However, it’s the performances of Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe that really stand out for me. I’m not usually a massive fan of flashbacks throughout a film but in this case they really work and they illustrate well the relationship between Superman and his father on Earth played by Kevin Costner. Crowe delivered dramatic lines such as, how, he will be a god to them” perfectly and seeing Coster as Superman’s adopted father sacrifice himself to keep Superman’s secret was one of the most heartfelt moments in a film that I have seen in a while and was certainly a highlight. This is where I think the film really delivers, in the relationships between Superman and those around him, from his biological father to his lover Louis Lane.
    For me, the action in the film was a bit repetitive and consisted mainly of Superman and the bad guys flying into one another and into buildings. I couldn’t help but think what’s the point in them endlessly hitting each other and flying into one another if it clearly does no damage. However, I realise that you should probably expect that in a Superman film and it did mean that they could show off some lovely special effects. Another small gripe I have with the film is that there were plenty of opportunities in this film for those slick and funny one liners but unfortunately for the most part they failed to grasp them. Lines such as “where did you learn to fight, on a farm?”, didn’t really pack the punch they needed to. There was certainly more room for humour such as at the end when the woman giggles and says, “well it’s just that he’s kinda hot”. But the script didn’t give Henry Cavel the opportunity to show a witty side of Superman and was therefore portrayed as being very serious.
    Overall though I think that the film was great and a successful reboot of the franchise. Director Zack Snyder brought through the emotions of the film brilliantly and it delivered everything that you expect from a superhero film. My sister loved it and she’s not usually a massive fan of these types of films which I think illustrates its appeal. I have a pretty strict scale when it comes to rating films. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film 56% and IGN gave it a pretty impressive 9/10 but I’m going to go in between the two and give this a 7.8/10.
  92. Jun 30, 2013
    Here's the problem, most people want a fun, light-hearted, Superman can do anything movie like Christopher Reeve did. That was Superman Returns, and that was horrible. This movie strives for a new direction, in tone, style, and audience. This is jot for the 5 year old with a towel hanging like a cape over their back. This movie serves to satisfy the teenager or older audience. SupermanHere's the problem, most people want a fun, light-hearted, Superman can do anything movie like Christopher Reeve did. That was Superman Returns, and that was horrible. This movie strives for a new direction, in tone, style, and audience. This is jot for the 5 year old with a towel hanging like a cape over their back. This movie serves to satisfy the teenager or older audience. Superman doesn't just become super, there are learning pains. There are reasons now for things that have always been taken for granted. Even the slightly altered origin story is an acceptable change, as it adds complexity and new story elements without completely destroying the character in the process.

Overall this was a good movie, if you were a fan of the comic books or are just looking for a movie that tries to actually ground itself in some sort of "reality" (lacking in "comic book reality) instead of just being a popcorn movie used to sell toys to kids.
  93. Jul 7, 2013
    Man of steel is a phenomenal composition. The critics are bitter and always appreciate drama and nothing more. Zack Snyder had a phenomenal vision. He did his very best to create a new superman for the up and coming generation. It was perfect to see Superman in a different suit and more clean looking.
  94. Jul 7, 2013
    What a great movie!!! Henry Cavill plays the best Superman ever, he has the look, the demeanor, the right attitude and emotion. He conveys the emotional turmoil of Superman's actions with stunning effect. The action is beyond top-shelf and care was taken to provide a "realistic" portrayal of Kryptonian strength. When Superman punches an enemy, he does not just fall down, or get knockedWhat a great movie!!! Henry Cavill plays the best Superman ever, he has the look, the demeanor, the right attitude and emotion. He conveys the emotional turmoil of Superman's actions with stunning effect. The action is beyond top-shelf and care was taken to provide a "realistic" portrayal of Kryptonian strength. When Superman punches an enemy, he does not just fall down, or get knocked into a car and leave a dented door. He is sent through three buildings and a concrete parking garage. If Superman falls into a mountain, he doesn't just make a small crater, he takes the mountaintop off. The true strength and power of Superman is finally done justice and portrayed as it always should have been.

The character is re-imagined and remade to bear more relevance to today than 1940. Superman is feared by the military, just like a real-life alien would be. Krypton is not portrayed as a lifeless chunk of ice, but as a living, breathing world meeting its end.

Special effects are dazzling. You can feel every impact, even almost experience the sensation of flight (seen in the NYC IMAX theater with a screen 8 stories tall). Like his strength, his speed is portrayed accurately and effectively. You can tell Superman can fly at nearly the speed of light by just observing the convincing special effects.

Some may say the ending is controversial, but anyone that really knows Superman will know that it is not. His actions at the end are consistent with his comic book history and even actions he had taken in prior films.

Not only one of the best super hero movies ever made (only the Dark Knight trilogy ranks on par), but one of the best movies ever made. Period.
  95. Jul 8, 2013
    Finally a fantastic superman movie. Good story, great actors, crazy visual fx and action scenes. I knew that Snyder plus Nolan people could not go bad. They really know how to make the things deal together. Can't wait for the number 2.
  96. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie surprised me a lot. I think this is the best adaptation of Superman. Great actors, specially Antje Traue and Henry Cavill, amazing action and visual effects, great story and the MOST SPECTACULAR SOUNDTRACK EVER MADE. I really loved this movie and I have great expectations for the second one.
  97. Jun 19, 2013
    Best movie that I paid to see since Avatar. Some of the scenes even remind me of Avatar. The action was intense, the actors were very good, some of the scenes were very touching, I really love the Krypton scenes and how David wrote it as being a planet like Pandora and also some Star Wars mixed in. Paid a lot of homage in my opinion to Smallville the TV series. I think I will go see it again.
  98. Jun 22, 2013
    Everything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for a comicbook adaptation but overall the action sequences steal the show. Triumphant return for Superman. Just wish Zod had asked him to kneel.
  99. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite what most 'reviews' are saying this is easily one of the best science-fiction/superhero movie ever made. Finally a superman movie that was done right, as close as it can get to the origin story and portrayed the way it should be. Yes, it may not be perfect (nothing is) but this one movie has set the wheel in motion for all the good things to come and I cannot wait what Snyder, Goyer has up their sleeves in the next installment and as far as Justice League is concerned. Yes, it may have gone the full drama route to develop the characters further, and in doing so that would leave the movie little time to dish out all the crazy good battle scenes. I felt Snyder and co did a great job balancing between narration and action sequence quite well. It is well paced for a 2 hours 30 minutes movie.

I do not think I would have this movie in any other way, I know I will be going back to see this a couple of more times before my thirst for the epic reincarnation of the daddy of all superhero is quenched. This is the Superman movie we needed, for this time, for this and the generations to come. Similar to the way Reeves did for most of us old timers back in the eighties.
  100. Jun 25, 2013
    Loved it! I'm not usually a supes fan but this had me the whole film. I wasn't bored for a single second and I honestly couldn't see a single negative about the film that seems to have divided most critics. I actually felt far more emotionally involved with this film than any of the new Marvel films.
    Specifically I was worried about the religious undertones in this film and that it would have classic Zak Snider empty characterisation, but I think Nolan has had a really positive effect on Zak, This is by far the most interesting Superman and Zod is just pure cool.
    Loved it all and was definitely one of those "I could go straight back into the cinema and watch it again" movies.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.