7.6

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Finally a fantastic superman movie. Good story, great actors, crazy visual fx and action scenes. I knew that Snyder plus Nolan people could not go bad. They really know how to make the things deal together. Can't wait for the number 2.
  2. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As it seems superman is not a character loved by the world, but the world has to love this one
    cause it is entirely a different theme now. For people complaining about "the same story" well
    it cannot change would you change the story of Mahatma Gandhi......
    No of course not because it will make it a fake.
    For those who speak of too much demolition have you ever questioned the hulk?
    it is Superman we are talking about what would expect from him, plucking flowers and throwing them at
    general Zod.
    well if anyone can tell a better story go ahead forge a real man of steel is all I would say.....
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie we've been waiting for! As someone that has seen the past Superman films, this film is for the new generation! But, as some told me. "This is not grandfather's Superman!" This movie the beginning of the DC cinematic universe, and it has a great plot and has humor! What I have at the cinema's is that all generations are embracing this just like they didMan of Steel is the Superman movie we've been waiting for! As someone that has seen the past Superman films, this film is for the new generation! But, as some told me. "This is not grandfather's Superman!" This movie the beginning of the DC cinematic universe, and it has a great plot and has humor! What I have at the cinema's is that all generations are embracing this just like they did with Batman in 2005 with Batman Begins! Now it's time for Superman to get his moment in the sun! Go see this movie! Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    First off, I read all the bad reviews, that lowered my expectations a lot, then I had a Superman marathon watching all the old ones and then I went to see Man of Steel, and the only thing I can say after seeing it is; Superman really needed a good solid reboot and I think this is the best Superman movie ever!
  5. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie surprised me a lot. I think this is the best adaptation of Superman. Great actors, specially Antje Traue and Henry Cavill, amazing action and visual effects, great story and the MOST SPECTACULAR SOUNDTRACK EVER MADE. I really loved this movie and I have great expectations for the second one.
  6. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium. If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The Amazing Spiderman? Avengers?....and you do not want your intelligence get offended cause the director was retarded.....Watch Man of Steel. If you want
    This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium.

If you want an action movie that the starring hero/ superhero, is not some half-way comedian punk that his powers some times are ON some times are OFF Watch Man of Steel.

If you want to see a superhero actually using his brain... Watch Man of Steel.

If you want a superhero movie that isn't made for making 16year old girs getting in love with the starring actor........Watch Man of Steel.

Last but not least, so far and if my memory serves well (apart from Nolan's Batman) Its the only Superhero movie that actually explains every single detail.

This is a dark, epic, serious, well made action superhero movie.
    Its not supposed to be funny, nor romantic, nor for kids.
  7. Jul 2, 2013
    A more human Superman hasn't been seen on the big screen yet. And even though Clark Kent is a man who knows himself, Superman is still learning how to be a super hero.
    Even though it is an origins movie, it feels epic, and the battles are truly of comic book scale.
    Henry Cavill is excellent all across the board; the visual effects are beautiful, and the destruction is of huge proportions.
    However, there are many weak points that prevent the movie from being perfect: Goyer's screenplay is, again, full of plot holes; the Krypton sequence is highly nonsensical, and Zod is quite shallow, specially in comparison to Terrence Stamp's role and performance in Superman 2.
    But the movie's strong points are very strong, and Christopher Nolan's touches can be felt all over the experience, which makes it a story deserving of the man of steel.
  8. Jul 18, 2013
    Zack Snyder's dark take in Man of Steel, a la Christopher Nolan's Gotham, really worked in my opinion. I've always felt that Superman had one of the more tragic of backgrounds and the more uplifting and happier stories never felt genuine. Richard Roeper's criticism that "There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story" or Rafer Guzman's criticism that "this reboot skimps on fun andZack Snyder's dark take in Man of Steel, a la Christopher Nolan's Gotham, really worked in my opinion. I've always felt that Superman had one of the more tragic of backgrounds and the more uplifting and happier stories never felt genuine. Richard Roeper's criticism that "There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story" or Rafer Guzman's criticism that "this reboot skimps on fun and romance" shows just how many critics missed the point. This isn't a kid's story, period! Leave all of those childish and whimsical expectations at home. In my opinion, this grittier version really hit home and took the drama and intensity to whole new levels. While it failed to deliver on the level of the some of the Avengers: Phase One films and definitely wasn't on the level with any of the movies from the Dark Knight Trilogy, it was still a great movie. The acting was really good, especially from Amy Adams in her supporting role. She managed to turn a character without a lot of development into one with a surprising amount of depth and believability. And Henry Cavill was great as Superman/Kal-El, probably my favorite yet. The supporting roles by Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and so on were all also fantastic. I don't think I can remember a movie where all of the supporting roles were played by people more famous than the protagonist but that was the case here and it worked because of Cavill's performance and how the movie was laid out. The action sequences were great, as was to be expected, and the way the plot developed was not annoying as most critics claimed. Many felt like the constant back-and-forth hurt the film's progression but I actually quite liked it. It kept the two and a half hour movie from dragging and felt fresh. The one flaw that I felt actually took a bit away from the movie, however, was the shaky-camera cinematic effect. I'm sorry but this isn't a world where the audience is going to feel the "we're there" and in the actual scene itself. All that did was make you wish it wasn't there. Overall though, this was a great movie and while I've never been a big fan of the Superman lore, if you can remove bias and suspend quite a bit of disbelief I think most would really enjoy it. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2013
    My most anticipated summer blockbuster of 2013, from the mastermind of 300 (2006, 7/10) and WATCHMEN (2009, 7/10), the reboot of the most popular superhero has undergone a series of choppy fluctuations since the underperformance of Bryan Singer’s SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006, 7/10), so an IMAX plus 3D version for me is a prerequisite to watch.

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an up-to-par epic bandwagon superbly grafts the invincible Kryptonian alien under the context of a xenophobic earth milieu, a human environment-nurtured extraterrestrial identity chooses to combat against his own race to save the cynical earthlings.

The film majestically branches out a unique palette of indigo and gray, a post-apocalypse solemness which is unlike most of its superfluous comic-derived peers (producer Christopher Nolan’s sway may be a plausible influence), and a hefty impetus of Clark Kent’s poignant relation with his human parents perpetually spurs the film to imprint its most eloquent fingerprints onto the heart of its recipients, a far better fulfillment than the parents-bereaved spidey (both Costner and Lane are heartwarming and sagacious in it).

Crowe and Zurer as Superman’s biological parents, both are throwaway in the overture of Krypton’s demise, the former then resurrects himself as a bewildering wraith inside the flying vehicle, sabotages General Zod’s scheme. Against the ageism, Adams offers brilliant ballast as the mettlesome journalist Lois Lane, a paragon of the benevolence from human part, the mutual attraction between her and Kent is ignited, but markedly Snyder saves the best for the sequel. Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni, one is the ferocious sidekick of Zod, another is a human general fights till his self-sacrifice heroic act, brings out an intensive beast-and-prey pattern of diversion which is a rare treat for side players in mainstream cinema. Michael Shannon as General Zod, a bona-fide super-villain counteracts Superman’s almighty indestructibility, his human-eradication theory surpasses any comic fecklessness, and the gravity-reconstruction concept really put the entire planet hanging on a thread (I always redeem a sudden depletion of gravity is the way to our doomsday), Shannon is incredible to magnify his militant loyalty and the genocide-prone mercilessness whilst viewers would eventually be touched by the former, such a transcending feat to accomplish out of a fixated mold. Same can be stated to Henry Cavill’s Superman, he is a flawless messiah of our planet, and Cavill is the perfect Superman, both from his physique and his charisma (and finally the underwear goes underneath his uniform), his oscillation has never been shied away in the film, and it makes the final neck-breaking such an emotional disturbance
    both to him and to the viewers.

The CGI effects are another fusillade of leveling cities and blasting buildings after THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10), but an amazing stunt is this time it ad hoc showcases an uplifting process of Superman’s sway of his flying expertise. A recurrent blip of the genre is the willful negligence of the aftershock, 5 seconds later, everyone act like they are totally oblivious of the apocalyptic attack no matter how damaged the city is, the transference is unnaturally nettling, the least one can do is to take a few shots of people’s contemplation as survivors of such a catastrophe, or raise hope to shoot scenes of the restoration and a panorama of the mess is a must to deepen the seriousness of the matter.

Anyhow, MAN OF STEEL is a stylized orthodox superhero film which successfully recoups the fanboys and bolsters a stronghold for the series in its lucrative future projects, its mass appeal might lag behind Marvel’s SHIELDS coalition, but Superman’s adventure will be more audacious and reflective other than its entertaining face value.
  10. Jun 16, 2013
    While mainstream critics are correct in saying the much of the movie is a action spectacle, I believe most of the general audience already had a solid footing on who Superman is and his origin. Warner Bros. picked up from where the whole idea of Superman has always left off. They gave Superman something to fight for but didn't take an hour to set it all up and it worked.
  11. Jul 6, 2013
    OH YA!!! This one is way better than I thought.... (just another superman movie... more & an over used DC franchise)... I have to say that for two and a half hours I was frequently & pleasantly surprised... Superb acting, very good story line and just plain fun to watch... This DVD is going to purchased for my 3D TV...
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    The best superman movie ever. Full of action and great acting, this is the superman movie we've always needed. Zack Snyder has done a wonderful job bring superman into the real world and making him human
  13. Jun 15, 2013
    I cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderfulI cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderful acting, amazing effects, beautiful sets and costumes, a great amount of weight to the world and its people, deep characterization, and a conflict that actually takes some thought. There is only a couple of flaws with this movie, which is why i have given it a 9 as opposed to a 10. 1: Zod chewed the scenery too much for such a serious movie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE some cheese every once in a while, but when the entire world takes everything so seriously, Zods overacting at points in the movie is kind of out of place and silly at times. 2: A couple of times people will say information before they know about it, like when a general says "Krypton" before Superman has mentioned that he is Kryptonian or from Krypton.
    Aside from those 2 nit picks, the movie is a very fun movie, and a very smart one too. But what else would you expect from such an amazing team as Snyder and Nolan.
  14. Jul 19, 2013
    this producer is making art with hero movies i really love what hes doing with this is a way better because he changes what you thought u knew and makes it more magical with hes work.
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    Didn't think too much of Superman Returns so I didn't have high hopes for this, but wow I was pleasantly surprised It was a great movie with plenty to keep you interested! A nice selection of actors who were spot on with their roles, and a great revamp of the Superman tale that has been told many times before. I'm keen to get onto titles like Smallville now because I enjoyed this so much!Didn't think too much of Superman Returns so I didn't have high hopes for this, but wow I was pleasantly surprised It was a great movie with plenty to keep you interested! A nice selection of actors who were spot on with their roles, and a great revamp of the Superman tale that has been told many times before. I'm keen to get onto titles like Smallville now because I enjoyed this so much! The final few scenes in particular really stand out but overall a great film highly recommend it! Expand
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    I had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashedI had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashed superheroes movies is the way most companies have them done for kids. Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. overall the movie movie was good but it had its problems. for starters the film does not feel like a superman film more an alien invasion type movie i don't recall anyone even calling him superman beyond a soldier towards the end of the film. The movie is a serious film which is not a problem for me. I liked seeing Clark background story from earth it helped make his seem more human and gave him a reason to defend earth. the main villain in the film general Zod is under used. most of the fight scenes in the film are done by his troops until the very end of the film where at the end of his relatively short fight Clark just breaks his neck and its over in a second it was a bit underwhelming after all that he just snaps his neck. The acting all round is good Henry Cavill is a great superman Michael Shannon while not being as good as Benedict Cumberbatch in star trek is still one of the best villeins this year. All in all this is a good film not that strong a superman film but good none the less Expand
  18. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) andMan of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) and Lara(Ayelet Zurer) have just given birth to the first natural baby in centuries. Unfortunately, the Council of Krypton refuse to stop drilling for resources from the core, and Jor-El and Lara send their son, Kal-El, to Earth so he can live a better life. He lives without being exposed of this information for 33 years, until General Zod(Michael Shannon), the former military leader of Krypton which is now nothing. Now Zod is leading his group into Earth to populate and overthrow the people of Earth. Superman must work to protect the people of Earth from the Kryptonians. The Special Effects in this movie are amazing. The only major complaint which I've also seen with other people is the last scene. It's 45 minutes of mayhem. While I felt it was an epic conclusion to an epic blockbuster, 45 minutes was certainly way too long and upset many people in the audience. Overall, anyone who isn't upset by loud noises should definitely see Man of Steel. Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great return for Superman. Great in many aspects and particularly in the beginning half where the back-story is explained.

Acting here is good in some parts, bad in others. Everyone except Lois Lane was fine considering this is an interpretation of superman, not a translation. What I thought was unbelievable is Lois Lane and Superman falling for each other. A crush is plausible but Superman is here, there and everywhere. So how can a crush turn into love when he's hardly around Lois to develop anything? Story is also quite good except, again, Lois Lane appearing and going to places she'd never get near. The emotional content around what happens to Krypton is very, very good.

A superhero movie that focuses on emotion, story, spectacle, and enjoyment is what I wanted out of this. It delivers.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    Finally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional toneFinally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional tone that it had in the 2nd and 3rd trailer. The movie is filled with so much action/violence and miraculous visuals. It's truly breathtaking to watch but it has way more than what you expected in the trailers and promos. It does kind of make the story drag. I'm just saying, less action could have been better. Not much, but just a little. And more of a story could have made me give this movie a perfect 10. But for what it's worth it's a solid 8. Overall, even with it's minor elements, you will still love this amazing reboot. Expand
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    The Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what heThe Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what he does as an adult. I also enjoyed the portrayal of emotion on Supermans' face shown with close ups; the first flight for example, as this really makes the character more real as that's how a normal person would act in such situations. The direction of characters was solid through out although the action scenes felt a bit jaggy as it was almost like the audience was in the middle of the fight and possibly not getting the best possible view of the action. I also felt as though although the General Zodd character was quite good he didn't quite fill the shoes of those who played the role before which is slightly disappointing and takes away somewhat from the film. Conversely, Jor-El ;played by Russel Crowe was used brilliantly and really helped the film as well also as the portrayal of Krypton which compared to previous iterations felt alive more like a genuine planet.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    A well thought out and considerate reboot hopefully leading to bigger and better things in the future.
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    I had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposableI had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposable "Sucker Punch." But I was hopeful given the guiding hand of producer/screenwriter Christopher Nolan and screenwriter David S. Goyer.

Man of Steel was a pleasant surprised and vigorously entertaining.

Russell Crowe nearly resurrects his Gladiator greatness as Kal-El's/Clark's/Superman's reserved but badass father on Krypton. The deeper dive into the chapter of Krypton's demise is absolutely captivating with the addition of a ton of science fiction elements.

Instead of re-treading Superman's back-story on earth which has been covered abundantly already, the use of flashbacks between the adult and young Clark works really well. Henry Cavill as Superman does a decent job switching from brooding to giddy to serious, although when he's not in his suit his sculpted body looks totally unreal. Amy Adams as Lois Lane plays the part of a strong female lead well while putting the character, as always, in completely ridiculous situations requiring the classic save by Superman.

Michael Shannon from HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" is solid as the maniacal and ethnocentric General Zod.

Unfortunately, the movie falls into tedium and redundancy during the "smash-things" climax where Superman and Zod (and his minions) do 20-times more smashing and destruction than all of "The Hulk" movies combined. The Avengers smash-things climax was even longer (I think) but 20-times more entertaining because they smashed things in very different ways. There is a limit to how many times you can watch invincible beings get hurled through buildings.

Ultimately, even these flaws can't diminish a well-crafted reboot of the oldest super hero of all time. Zack Snyder may have just got his mojo back.
  23. Jul 18, 2013
    There is a saying that could summarize this film and "no haste makes perfect", but this film has many attributes to reconsider whether, first the bad points, the script may have been written well, but the film is too rushed in the beginning as it bombards the audience with action and lots of information (for some it may be necessary to see the movie twice to Understand all) and very slowThere is a saying that could summarize this film and "no haste makes perfect", but this film has many attributes to reconsider whether, first the bad points, the script may have been written well, but the film is too rushed in the beginning as it bombards the audience with action and lots of information (for some it may be necessary to see the movie twice to Understand all) and very slow at the end (perhaps a ncessidade to face with the Avengers), but that's it, good points, the direction of Snyder was one of the best things with their cameras capturing different angles average everywhere this technique extremely good, the cast too, with performances by weight as Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner, but it's good to know that Henry Cavil did their role well (though sometimes it may seem too optimistic) and rest also does their role well. Expand
  24. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie is AMAZING.The backstory is great as well as the story,it is very emotional in some parts and has some on the best effects I have ever seen in a movie theater.
  25. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is an excellent movie. I enjoyed the movie the entire time and loved every second of it. The story was great, the action was awesome, and the cast was superb. Do not listen to any of these idiotic critics who gave this film a negative score. It does not deserve any of the negativity that its been getting for whatever unbelievable reason. Just do yourself a favor and watch thisMan of Steel is an excellent movie. I enjoyed the movie the entire time and loved every second of it. The story was great, the action was awesome, and the cast was superb. Do not listen to any of these idiotic critics who gave this film a negative score. It does not deserve any of the negativity that its been getting for whatever unbelievable reason. Just do yourself a favor and watch this film, you will not regret it. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    i don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i five rating 9 out of 10
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    Man Of Steel is like a fast car accelerating through a fast straight race track while gradually gaining speed as it proceeds Snyder has created a visually spectacular movie with top notch visual effects but not only that he has started a fresh franchise away from the casual norm, l will looking forward to another and another
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    Super Amazing and Super Intense. The movie was great but there were some parts that didn't make sense like the part when superman healed lois with his heat vision. It had so much action that it was really hard to remember the story. It also showed way to many flashbacks the entire movie. To me it kind of felt like a remake of superman 2. Its a must see film for all the DC comic fans like myself.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Superman is an Alien on Earth but on Krypton he is “human”. I believe “Man of Steel” was designed to show just that, Kal-El is vulnerable and emotional. We all know the story of Superman, I think that is a healthy given to state in this day and age. Whether you know Clark Kent from Smallville, Christopher Reeves as the one “true” Superhero, or you know what Action Comics were. EverySuperman is an Alien on Earth but on Krypton he is “human”. I believe “Man of Steel” was designed to show just that, Kal-El is vulnerable and emotional. We all know the story of Superman, I think that is a healthy given to state in this day and age. Whether you know Clark Kent from Smallville, Christopher Reeves as the one “true” Superhero, or you know what Action Comics were. Every generation since the beginning of comic books knows who Superman is. This is Zack Snyder’s modern retelling of a classic story.

I’ll get straight to the point and we can sort out the technical stuff for those looking for more to read. This film isn’t grade A story telling for the masses, it is closer to a B minus, and I know I said everyone knows this story but Snyder always seems to bring something experimental to his films. The film starts strong but immediately begins to skip tracks as Snyder tries to retell an old story in a new way. We are dealing with a lot of flash backs and not a whole lot of “read from point A to point B”. I think this keeps many audience members detached from what is happening on screen.

Flashbacks aside, we are dealing with a very dark story here, which some would call “modern”. I believe time changes all things and although the core elements of the character Superman are shown here, they have been painted in dark, modern story telling colors. Nowadays we want our heroes to be relatable and “human”. We want to see them hurt, cry, and love just as we do. Many non-Superman fans don’t like the old fashion “boy scout” image that comes along with this “perfect” and “overpowered” Superhero. It was from this mentality Zack Snyder finds his inspiration for Man of Steel.

Still here, then let’s talk about the talent behind this film. There is no shortness of great actors, and actresses on screen, such as Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and even Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. The soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmer, in case you didn’t think there was enough talent involved with this movie already. If you enjoyed the film I would recommend picking up the soundtrack as it is another great piece of music from an experienced composer.

Personally I thought the film was breath-taking, and I don’t mean that in a wordsmith kind of way. I literally mean that I silently screamed numerous times during this film. If you keep your eyes open and on the move you’ll catch many nods to other parts of the Superman universe, though I didn’t catch anything about a billionaire that recently lost his parents behind a theater.

I actually kind of felt like the movie was telling us the Wolverine origin story in the beginning as Clark Kent searches the world for answers to all his questions prior to being hired as a fulltime Superhero. I think all the facial hair had a hand in this as well. It is really weird but I’m actually extremely happy with how they showed Superman move. It is maybe something you don’t think about very often but Superman can move at super speed from a standstill.

It is cool to see the progression of his movement in other live action films and TV shows but if you really wanted to show just how powerful he is you would show only a facial expression that he was about to move, and then just a blur of motion. I think a great way to explain this film’s action scenes is Bruce Timm’s DC animations, specifically his presentation of Superman. If you have ever seen a fight scene from the cartoon, Justice League, then you know what I’m talking about. These battles normally lasted longer than just a few punches back and forth. The fight would rage on throughout the streets and into malls, across miles of city property, up into the sky, and out in space. You would be constantly reminded that these are not just two dudes in a bar throwing punches, these are gods among men, at least when meta-humans are involved.

Do I think Zack Snyder managed to tell a story about the most powerful Superhero ever imagined and make him as weak as a new born baby? Definitely, and I enjoyed how serious the film took this change in direction. Snyder really followed through with his vision and I enjoyed seeing the “boy scout” in a completely different light. If you already know you are going to see it then this film is definitely a theater movie. You don’t need to see it in fake 3D though, save your money.
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    The critics are funny.... A superhero or comic book adaptation will never seem to have the plot that most of your run-of-the-mill critics will enjoy.

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you. It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you.

It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing the humble Superman but a great hero needs a great villian. General Zod (MIchael Shannon) and his second command Faora-Ul (Antje Traue) do a great job in the battle scenes, plot and dialogue.

I'm not sure where they go from here as movie almost leaves no idea on where it might go next (Luthor?) but as long as Nolan and Snyder are at the helm then I'll be in line to see the movie.
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    (More of a 9.5) Awesome movie, critics are just being stupid. They believe this movie is too dark but its not. If you were to put superman in the situations he's been growing up, this is how it would be. Acting was amazing and story was very well written. Characters had so much layers to them, which made it all the better. The script is probably hands down one of the best. The gems in the(More of a 9.5) Awesome movie, critics are just being stupid. They believe this movie is too dark but its not. If you were to put superman in the situations he's been growing up, this is how it would be. Acting was amazing and story was very well written. Characters had so much layers to them, which made it all the better. The script is probably hands down one of the best. The gems in the script bring smiles to your face. Critics just don't understand this movie. I forgot about one thing, THE ACTION! The action scenes in the movie are far by one of the best I've ever seen. SO, PLEASE WATCH THIS MOVIE! It's amazing. Expand
  32. Jun 15, 2013
    This is already the best movie of this year! Much better than othesr superhero movies! Excellent special effects, soundtrack, and very, very good action scenes! You REALLY must see the movie in 3D! Nothing more to say, it's just the most amazing action movie EVER!
  33. IMR
    Jun 16, 2013
    one of the best movies of this and all times, it is difficult to make a superhero movie that has serious tone and not just romp and jokes. It shows the human side of Kar-El, in trying to be just one of us, but his fate will prepare something bigger "The ultimate hero of humanity".

It shows a Clark who suffer the consequences of being different, their emotions, their feelings. Facing decisions between who he is or who he should be.

The cast was amazing, everything fit to perfection: Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Antje Traue, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne ..

The music is beautiful and powerful

Indisputably 10/10 Movie
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    With Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generationsWith Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generations Superman well and adds accentuating depth and emotion to the story. Snyder's signature eye catching visual spectacle and stunning CGI paired with Nolan's story is sure to please not only comic book fans, but also the outside audience not already familiar with the source material. "Man of Steel" is not only an impressive film, both technically and emotionally, but it also is catching and gripping where Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" was dull and often lacking or absent. Snyder has spawned the start of what could be an incredible franchise worthy in comparison to how "Batman Begins" stemmed Nolan's Batman Trilogy. With "Man of Steel," Warner Brothers and DC Comics have returned to center stage and built upon on what could be the introduction of other super heroes in the multiverse to the big screen. The future for DC entertainment looks bright and stunning, with welcome competition from Marvel. Should be exciting. Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of steel is a visual masterpiece full of epic fight scenes. Although they set the emotional level of this movie high in the trailers, there is much more action than slower scenes. Nolan and Snyder prove to be able to work together and combine their visual idea along with a good storyline. I encourage superman fans to enjoy the movie for what it is and not this to the comic books. 5/5!
  36. Jun 20, 2013
    A strong and solid Superhero Origins movie, may not be the absolute masterpiece of the genre but is one of the best beginning.

Man of Steel is in line with Nolan's Batman Begins or Sam Raimi's Spider-man, and while being not very much better than the first Iron Man is indeed more epic, more human, more deep and more BIG. What is less: is less witty, less funny and less rich of humor

What is less: is less witty, less funny and less rich of humor wich is really bad! (Straczinsky's Superman: Earth One has a lot to teach about!)

What is more than any other movie: this Man of Steel is more concerning the true meaning of superheros than any other movie and than ALL other movies together we have seen during the last 3-4 years.

The Greatest Superhero has finally returned.
  37. Jun 14, 2013
    Superman: Man of Steel, is the beginning of a new Superman series just as Amazing Spider-Man was for the Spider man series! The movie shows the evolution of superman on Earth. It starts from a planet named Krypton, his native planet which is on the verge of getting destructed and so his parents sends him to earth with the DNA's of the people of Krypton. The story shows how a man with suchSuperman: Man of Steel, is the beginning of a new Superman series just as Amazing Spider-Man was for the Spider man series! The movie shows the evolution of superman on Earth. It starts from a planet named Krypton, his native planet which is on the verge of getting destructed and so his parents sends him to earth with the DNA's of the people of Krypton. The story shows how a man with such supreme powers overcome difficulties living with normal humans. It shows the duty and responsibility that Superman shows for the people of earth The movie is high on ethics just like Batman series. Its not just about action as we saw in previous Superman movies. Scripting is very accurately done. Cinematography is world class and 3D view of the movie is worth watching. The movie deals with highly modern technologies but not much gadgets were used as we see in other Action movies. All the action sequences are extremely brilliant. It surely defines a new era of Action scenes. Overall the movie is an outstanding mixture of ethics and action. It does have the charishma and brilliance of Iron man and Avengers movies to some extent. Must watch! Go for it straight away.
    Critics website: www.fridayrating.org
  38. wha
    Jun 14, 2013
    I’m just home from seeing the movie and I’m still buzzing about it.!!! I loved the movie!!! I watched it with some friends. I saw it with guy who were not comic book fans, they were blown away by it, and we were really surprised by how much we dug it. I knew there was going would be big, big action going in to the movie and I got it in spades, complete with all the characterization thatI’m just home from seeing the movie and I’m still buzzing about it.!!! I loved the movie!!! I watched it with some friends. I saw it with guy who were not comic book fans, they were blown away by it, and we were really surprised by how much we dug it. I knew there was going would be big, big action going in to the movie and I got it in spades, complete with all the characterization that I’ve been wanting to see in a Superman movie since I was a kid Expand
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was an unnecessary reboot is completely absurd. It has been over 30 years since we had an origin story for Superman! Modern audiences have not been exposed toMan of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was an unnecessary reboot is completely absurd. It has been over 30 years since we had an origin story for Superman! Modern audiences have not been exposed to Superman in any real way ever since (Superman Returns does not count). If anyone deserves a fresh start, it’s Kal-El. Now, regarding the tone of the film, which critics have claimed is too dark and overtly serious, I feel that it works well considering what the filmmakers want to establish. Superman needs to exist in a more realistic world and that’s just what Man of Steel provided. Our world isn’t always happy and Man of Steel does wonders when it explores this very concept. However, I need to point out that Man of Steel is not the dull and lifeless film that critics are making it out to be. On the contrary, there are actually instances in the movie in which I and the rest of the audience broke out laughing. As for the plot, I genuinely believe that Man of Steel delivered a good story. Moviegoers get to see a dramatically different Krypton and are able to watch as Clark develops into the man he is destined to be. While there were issues with pacing, at times, this is easily forgiven considering the breadth of the story the filmmakers were trying to tell. The acting in the movie also happened to be quite excellent. Henry Cavill has a decent amount of dialogue and makes very good use of it. I believe that his Superman might be the best interpretation of the character (yes, even better than the great Christopher Reeve). Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, and the rest of the cast also do an incredible job. However, I need to give special praise to Kevin Costner. His Pa Kent truly is understandable and the love he demonstrates for his son was enough to bring many in the theater to tears. The action in this film is, naturally, amazing. Zack Snyder’s keenness for this stuff shines brightly in the film and I did not ever get tired of what I was seeing. To wrap things up, Man of Steel is a wonderful film and the critical reviews it has been getting show one thing: today’s professional reviewers have become so twisted that they can’t recognize a good film when it’s right before their eyes. Do yourself a favor and go out and see the film for yourself. You’ll love it. Expand
  40. Jun 15, 2013
    I registered here at this site just so I could write about this movie. It is a must see. Saw it on Imax 3d, was incredible. Sound, effects, character developtment, action, pace, everything about this movie was phenomenal. I wasn't going to see it bc I was bored with the Superman story, but this has completely changed my opinion and made me a fan.
  41. Jun 19, 2013
    This movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still had questions about once the end credits rolled, but it wasn't enough of a drawback to the awe I felt seeing Kal-el, Jor-el, Zod, and especially Faora done soThis movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still had questions about once the end credits rolled, but it wasn't enough of a drawback to the awe I felt seeing Kal-el, Jor-el, Zod, and especially Faora done so well. It elaborated the sci-fi element beyond just crystals and more crystals which I thought was an improvement over the older movies. And Man of Steel may have some plot holes but so did Superman 1-4. Such as if he can turn back time, why not use that every time a villain gets the upper hand? You could call it Superman: Groundhog Day. He just keeps repeating things till he gets it done right. But despite that people still loved the movies, and I think the critics got it wrong with this one. I highly recommend checking it out. Expand
  42. Jun 15, 2013
    I'll keep the review short and sweet with no spoilers. First of all, I'm not too sure what the critics were thinking when they rated this movie. I thought this was the best movie of the summer so far. Yeah, there is alot of action in the movie, and in my opinion it didn't ruin the experience for me unlike the critics. There were quite a few flashbacks (since this is an origin story), but II'll keep the review short and sweet with no spoilers. First of all, I'm not too sure what the critics were thinking when they rated this movie. I thought this was the best movie of the summer so far. Yeah, there is alot of action in the movie, and in my opinion it didn't ruin the experience for me unlike the critics. There were quite a few flashbacks (since this is an origin story), but I wasn't bothered by them at all, and thought that they fit in well. Lastly, the fighting scenes were done beautifully as well as Hans Zimmer's score. If you love superhero movies, or your just looking for an amazing summer movie, MAN OF STEEL IS THE ONE TO WATCH. It was a great movie, and I definitely think it's worth watching again and worth purchasing on bluray. Expand
  43. Jun 17, 2013
    As expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for noAs expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for no Underwear on pants and just wear a specs to hide ur identity..Man of Steel does complete justice to our Fav superhero..The vision of a person's struggle with his own identity...and what he he finally does..is absolutely stunning & beautiful..though at times it lacked momentum which was dealt with...Those giving -ve reviews...should consider the fact that this was just the first movie of a series...There's a lot more to come....giving a hope for better superhero movies......This movie stand true to the 'S' symbol of hope!! Expand
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    As a long time fan of Superman, I was not disappointed. In fact, this movie actually surprised me by being better than I anticipated it. This is how you make a Superman movie! It's time to let go of the Donner films. That version of our hero simply does not work for our time. This is a raw Supes who can kick some serious butt. As a matter of fact, I wish the last fight was longer... That'sAs a long time fan of Superman, I was not disappointed. In fact, this movie actually surprised me by being better than I anticipated it. This is how you make a Superman movie! It's time to let go of the Donner films. That version of our hero simply does not work for our time. This is a raw Supes who can kick some serious butt. As a matter of fact, I wish the last fight was longer... That's how good it was. Ignore the critics and go enjoy this amazing film. Expand
  45. Jun 15, 2013
    Great performances all around and some of the best effects I've seen in any comic book film. This is the Superman movie I've wanted to see for a long time.

Henry Cavil gives a breakout performance while Russell Crowe gives us the best version of Jor-El I've ever seen in film, comics or otherwise. And make no mistake, this movie is all about Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. I was very

I was very happy the filmmakers didn't attempt to just remake the Richard Donner films of the 70s and 80s. That was tried in 2006's Superman Returns to much critical acclaim and not much in the way of box office numbers.

MoS really gives us an in-depth picture of who Clark Kent is, not so much in his dialog, but in his actions and sometimes inaction. From the time he's a kid to the time he's an adult he's faced with some really tough decisions. That's a running theme of this film and, yes, it's a familiar one: With great power, comes great responsibility. Is it an old trope? Sure, but it's still relevant to the superhero conversation.

Unlike Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, this movie takes a darker world and puts a modern Superman in it. Is the movie gritty? Not really. There are plenty of dark characters and moments, but Superman himself (along with Lois Lane, Perry White, The Kents and especially Jor-El) gives off great amounts of hope. The world around them seems harsh and cynical, but there is a light in the darkness.

Unlike Batman, Superman makes the decision to step out of the shadows and make himself known. Granted, there wasn't much choice in the matter, but when push comes to shove, this Superman makes the choice he feels is right, even when it takes a tremendous emotional toll on him.

I usually don't like a lot of time spent on Krypton when it comes to Superman films or TV shows, but this movie actually made that part seem interesting. It even works in some cool effects and action, which was very unexpected.

Is the movie perfect? Of course not, there's no such thing as a perfect film. Amy Adams shows so much potential to be the best on-screen Lois Lane there's ever been, but she doesn't get enough development in this movie to show us that completely. Kevin Costner gives such a tear-inducing performance, you can't help but feel his part was underwritten. Same with Diane Lane's Martha Kent, but at least that lady gets to be a real firecracker in one scene I'm going to remember as one of the all-time greats from any superhero film.

Lawrence Fishburne just barely scratched the surface of his Perry White, but he's definitely the right choice for the role. Way better than what we got in Superman Returns. This Perry White is a take-charge, hard-news man. And he gets his own hero moment when things get really crazy toward the end.

The humor in the movie is kept to a lower level than the Richard Donner films, but that's to its benefit in my view. Campy humor can be lots of fun and is in the Donner films. I love Otis probably more than any person should. But, for the modern screen, that type of things just doesn't work. Especially not if DC/Warner Bros. is really planning to compete with Marvel/Disney.

Still, a sequel (now pretty much inevitable) could use with a little more comic relief. Not a ton, but that's where some good banter between Clark and Lois might help, along with maybe the introduction of Jimmy Olsen.

But if the story/acting/effects don't give you chills, I don't see how Hans Zimmer's score could do anything less. One of the best movie scores of the last decade, possibly ever.

I'm one of those people that liked Iron Man 3. I say that as a preface to this: I LOVED Man of Steel! It's certainly going to divide the fans as it has the critics, but I think this is the way to go for cinematic DC Universe. I can't wait to see where this leads next.
  46. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a great film. There was the origins of the hero's life, intense builds and tons and tons of insane action sequences. The film really showed just how heroic and powerful Sherman can really be, with enough seriousness and geekyness for an awesome fanboy joyride.
  47. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fact: This movie is 100 times better than any previous Superman effort.

NON SPOILER REVIEW:

Superman does NOT give the world a roofie like in the Donner films.
    Superman does MORE than just lift stuff like in Brian Singer's 'Superman Returns' in which Supes lifted a plane, a car, a woman, a boat, another plane and a giant rock (in that order).
    Superman DOES make some difficult choices and uses his strength to great effect in some awesome action scenes.

SPOILER TERRITORY:

Favorite bits:
    ~ They show us Krypton. The wildlife and technology. It isn't just lip service. You actually get to spend a good deal of time on Krypton in its final moments.
    ~ The Terrence Malick like vignettes of young Clark's childhood are beautiful. If "Tree of Life" suddenly had a plot and amazing action scenes, you'd have Man of Steel.
    ~ Faora. The way she moves, her brutality. It is awesome to watch on screen.
    ~ Jor-El. Crows part in this movie is much bigger than I was expecting and I really dig his ghostly mentoring of his son.
    ~ Supes: Henry Cavill must have devoured like 7 Hugh Jackmans to bulk up for this role (I hear Chris Nolan had a truckload of extra Jackman's lying around after 'The Prestige'). Cavill is huge. He has hair on his chest. He is a manly guy. An all American farm boy. It's awesome.
    ~ Destruction: The devastation of Metroplis is massive. The "terraform engine" ravages much of the city and when Zod and Superman finally fight, it is amidst the hollow ash covered ruins of massive buildings.
    ~ When Ma Kent's house is destroyed, and her sons future is uncertain, and the whole world is going to hell because of alien invaders, she is found looking through what remains of her home for her photo albums. Amidst all the chaos, those memories of her son were important to her. The director didn't point it out or make a big deal of it, but I found it touching.
    ~ The final Costner vignette got me in the feelers. Maybe because I'm raising two boys, one of which is constantly wearing a read cape, but it got me.

CONCLUSION:

The critics are high as a kite. But not as high as Man of Steel because this movie kicks ass. It is on par with Batman Begins as a setup movie and with a good story and great casting of Luthor or some other Supes villian, there is no reason the next one can't be every bit as good as The Dark Knight.

Cheers. Go see it. Enjoy. Superman is back.
  48. Jun 16, 2013
    This is by far the best Superman movie. And one of the best superhero films. It's not perfect; there are some plot holes, the fight scenes are a little long and it's put together a little choppy. None the less; the casting is fantastic, the music is top notch, the story is compelling and the action is intense. I left the theatre with tears of joy and an excitement for the future of Superman films.
  49. Jun 16, 2013
    Having seen the poor scores posted by the critics here on Metacritic I honestly thought this was going to be a really poor and lackluster affair. Fortunately, for me at least, this was not the case. I loved the references to Batman, Lex Luthor and to a much lesser extent Aquaman. All in all I thought it was a fantastic film.

I'd advise people not to judge this film by the score the

I'd advise people not to judge this film by the score the critics have given it. Man of Steel, at the time of writing this review is sitting at 55 while Fast and Furious 6 is sitting at 61. Having seen both "Man of Steel" and "Fast and Furious 6" I find this strange to say the least. It's most definitely the last time I trust a "critic" to judge a film for me.
  50. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MoS es una película donde se ve claramente el estilo ya marcado de David.S.goyer con el inicio justificando las motivaciones de Superman y esos falsos clímax. La única actuación que no me convenció fue la madre alienigena que al ver a su esposo muerto, tardo en reaccionar. No le doy 10 por problemas con el montaje, el inicio es confuso, y esos saltos entre presente y pasado hace que la historia no la termina de asimilar, he incluso la transición entre escenas es inmediata perdiéndome por no saber cuanto tiempo ha pasado Con respecto a Louis Lane, es un personaje creíble, intrépida como son los periodistas y con una excelente personificación por parte de Amy Adams, pero en el guion por tratar de ponerla como protagonista queda en situaciones forzadas, ella es humana, no puede estar en todas partes. Como por ejemplo cuando la gente de Zod se la lleva al espacio sin justificación y cuando en la pelea final, luego de Superman y Zod pelear por toda la ciudad, alejándose por km de donde empezaron, Louis llega a los minutos al sitio. El hecho de planificar la película como un unitario fue lo que hizo que fuera extensa tratando de abarcar toda la historia, por lo que fácilmente se puede dividir la película en dos, una donde muestra a Jor-El luchando por sacar a su hijo de Krypton y la infancia de Kal-El y la otra donde por fin vemos que Zod amenaza a la tierra. El papel de Crowe que pensábamos que seria olvidado luego de su muerte tiene una importancia incluso mayor que las que tuvieron los padres adoptivos. Shannon hace de villano espectacularmente, sera todo un reto conseguir un villano más fuerte que él para la 2da entrega. Los padres adoptivos de Clark- Kent entre salto y salto en el montaje hace que se pierda su objetivo que es ser la parte nostálgica y reflexiva de la película. Cavill como Superman mostró un gran carisma que Routh no pudo lograr en Superma Return. La maldición de Superman se ha roto! Creo que puliendo estos detalles( un montaje más ordenado, Lane en situaciones propias a sus limitaciones como humana, consiguiendo un villano cruel) la segunda parte será igual o mejor que The Dark Knight Expand
  51. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great summer movie that makes up for all the action and spectacle not seen in Superman Returns. All of the characters are great and performances. The action is a lot of fun and Snyder's visuals are of coarse stunning. Hans Zimmer's score is PHENOMENAL! Man of Steel has a little choppy editing but nonetheless is still a great Superman film. Man of Steel: A-
  52. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel=The GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER!!! Best Movie this Year Overall. I was waiting for something like this for so many years and finally we have it!
  53. Jun 19, 2013
    Amazing action, wonderfully put together and a joy to watch .Brings Superman straight into the 21st century! Cant wait to watch it again! I'm a massive Superman fan, and wasnt that impressed by Singer's 2006 Superman, and ultimatly, thought he would fall behind as the worlds favorite Superhero. But this film has restored my faith and is a rip-roaring ride! Wonderful!!!
  54. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like aFinally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like a school yard fight in comparison. Expand
  55. Jun 16, 2013
    I was uncertain whether this was going to be a redo of a redo or what, but one needn't worry. Although the general plot elements that make it Superman were there, IMO, this is a new movie. The elements that make it familiar are present, but the ideas injected into the story essential remake it. It's not heroic DC, it's science fiction, and good science fiction. It also has a injectionI was uncertain whether this was going to be a redo of a redo or what, but one needn't worry. Although the general plot elements that make it Superman were there, IMO, this is a new movie. The elements that make it familiar are present, but the ideas injected into the story essential remake it. It's not heroic DC, it's science fiction, and good science fiction. It also has a injection of realism that a welcome change from the saccharin fare usually in this genera of film. People in the audience actually applauded at the film's end. Expand
  56. Jun 17, 2013
    The best superhero and action movie ever launched at theaters. With the action,effect, and the epic scene on the big screen. Better than the avengers. Can't wait for the sequel
  57. Jun 16, 2013
    The movie was perfect. The music fit the action and themes in every scene, I didn't find any of the dialogue to be cheesy and over the top and the action was believable and what you would expect from a superman movie. It was like one of the DC animated movies brought to live action.

The visuals were honestly flawless because even though the action was fast paced the camera kept you in it with pinpoint accuracy. The Plot was perfect for an introductory type film. You know what I mean like Batman Begins, Green Lantern, Thor etc. they had to introduce the character in a way that would appeal to a broad audience and they did it perfectly.

The action was absolute SUPERMAN! I mean the only movie I could compare the "action" to is the Hulk and it outpaced that by leaps and bounds, watching this you truly felt like you were witnessing a battle between gods! This is the modern up to date remake we were all waiting for. Go out and support the movie because we need more DC movies on the big screen and that's where it starts.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Action was superb and the effects were as good as any I've seen, if not better. A small concern though is the lack of thought concerning all the damage done by the fight. Superman cares about that sort of thing and it wasn't highlighted too much in this film.
  59. Jun 17, 2013
    For all those comparing this to Iron Man 3 and saying it 'sucks' compared to it, please take the next train to a standard centre of learning and keep yourself there till you can properly review a film. I'm old enough to have seen the original TV series that had Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, all the Superman films and the spin off Smallville. I'm telling you, this blows them all out of theFor all those comparing this to Iron Man 3 and saying it 'sucks' compared to it, please take the next train to a standard centre of learning and keep yourself there till you can properly review a film. I'm old enough to have seen the original TV series that had Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, all the Superman films and the spin off Smallville. I'm telling you, this blows them all out of the water. The acting is top notch, the music even more so, the special effects so well done that you wouldn't be able to spot in a fault in a single bloody pixel. I loved it, and everyone I saw it with loved it too. As far as i'm concerned as this was a story in a movie, which would be no mean feat to achieve, and made the whole production that much better. Expand
  60. Jun 17, 2013
    Despite what others wanted. I have been waiting for a superman movie that was willing to go darker and violent then its previous attempts. Though this movie was far from perfect it was very enjoyable and truly showed what kind destruction someone of this magnitude can cause.

I find it comical that some critics are upset that its to serious and not loaded with humor like the Avengers. Its a directors vision of how he wants the movie why should be follow suit of previous superman movies. I found a few scenes funny so maybe its just their humor that needs readjusting.

The movie really focuses a lot on Kal-El internal struggles accepting who he is and his powers. This movie shows some emotional depth in the man of steel, we finally get to see how he really struggled and that he truly is not perfect like everyone complains about. Ultimately he is faced with a decision that changes him into the Superman we all know and love.

I went into the movie with very high hopes and this movie did not fail to deliver. Its not going to win an oscar but will keep you glue to the edge of your seats and Superman fans will find it a treat.
  61. Jun 17, 2013
    the man of steel is the best movie of all the time, including all the marvel movies that are a joke, I recommend this movie because it is very epic, and emocialmente serious. I stole a couple of tears I assure you.
  62. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We always wished for a Superman movie that was an epic above all.. Man of Steel is that one. Good script and direction, above all the action is just unbelievable.. this will convince you that Superman is not only much more powerful than any human and that he has an attitude too.. when need arises he can break some necks. Expand
  63. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel Review (spoilers) English Version.
    How is this?. Superman does not kill ever, is not that their only unbreakable rule?. But no, this is a big change for an entire generation of fans of superman. By putting our hero in a world adapted to our reality would be a little improbable it was over pink.
    Disputes:
    This "reboot" (re-start) of the franchise and the superhero loved and wanted more from all periods presented controversy, as many have surely noticed divided the public into two parts (which you can notice in many of the criticisms this movie is having) those who loved him as my (I'm a superman fan-boy) and they did not like (mostly adult fans of the old iconic superman christopher reeve). The biggest problem is that by generating many changes and break so many rules of the old superman to make it "fit" somehow in this generation, takes a break with previous generations. This is where I have seen the iconic movies of reeve and have read comics and everything that surrounds the world of superman tell those generations "get over it". It is simple fact, in previous generations superman was so iconic for one simple reason, it worked for them. I believed possible and others, they served as inspiration, because superman is the best thing a person can aspire to be, beyond his powers, the man just does everything right and as it should be. But the idealism of perfection and practically "utopia" no longer fits in this reality. Not something that serves us more perfect, utopian, unattainable. We need something more "credible" because superman is the most humane thing to be and if it is so human to have problems and difficulties as all of us or possibly much greater than ours. Then a hero who has problems, difficult to adapt, and that to save humanity is to kill someone, it is more credible and more focused on a possible reality like ours, instead of as unattainable utopia of reeve. So the final feature which appears as a reporter superman does not fit all in this new adaptation.

Final Score: 9/10

You definitely have to go see it to also form our own opinion. Regardless of the criticism the film is a success statistically speaking in terms of money raised. And are preparing the sequel that if Mr. Nolan confirms again be involved going to be a They imagine that Nolan do what he did for the guason with Lex Luthor??? I blows my mind to imagine that.

Greetings and thank you all for reading enjoy this new, epic superman that brings our generation, and leave the past behind.
  64. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all my years I've been waiting for a new superman movie and it finally came. Man of Steel is one of the greatest hero films ever i am very proud of watching the movie it is really a great story line of telling superman how his struggle in the world to become what people really need him to be the savior of earth. I thank you to Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Christopher Nolan who made this film to put DC back in it's place and to bring back the greatest superhero come to life again. Man of Steel is the perfect movie to watch over and over. I also would like to thank the cast members of playing their role in Man of Steel they did a excellent job at being the characters and making this movie happen. What ever critics are saying that man of steel is not a good superman movie they are wrong this movie captured everything including great story details, this is a new generation a new era where superman will once again reign supreme as the greatest superhero on earth and in films. #1 MAN OF STEEL is GREAT
    #DC Nation all the way.
  65. Jun 18, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel last night & I was blown away. I got a little sentimental watching Superman back on the big screen, reminded me when I was little watching Christopher Reeve being Superman. So much hype & I was not let down.
    Also this movie really really makes up for Superman Returns which was just an insult & just plain atrocious.
  66. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is by far the best Superman movie yet. Main selling points for me were: 1. No Kryptonite. I liked seeing Superman having to battle super cosmic forces such as giant interstellar gravity terraforming machines (which were freaking awesome looking btw) 2. You actually got to see more of the alien culture from which the man of steel was spawned. Russel Crow was a kickass superdad. 3. It wasn't a cliche linear film where it starts with superman as a baby to child to teen to adult. It goes from baby to adult then cutting to flashbacks of revelvant-to-the-plot anecdotes. Very well done and will keep you thoroughly entertained. Expand
  67. Jun 19, 2013
    It's not a great improvement from Superman movies, but "Man Of Steel" has some great special effects, is well acted, with a very interesting storyline.
  68. Jun 20, 2013
    I was a huge fan of Superman 1 and 2. I did not have high hopes for a reboot. This movie was amazing! Superman looked tough. The beginning of the movie is fantastic. There is not a boring spot in the whole movie. The villains were cool. I will see this in theaters more than once and from me that is saying a lot. I hope they make many more just like this one.
  69. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a new beginning for man of steel, but the action can be some annoy, but the plot is good, and this movie is excellent for christopher nolan and David goyer. Expand
  70. Jun 21, 2013
    This is the Zack-Christopher Masterpiece, combined with Hans Zimmer awesomeness, this movie gives you chills, from the beginning until the end !
    Don't know what is wrong about the critics on this..
  71. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest in my humble opinion, the opening sequence on planet Krypton felt so much more fleshed out than the entire Star Trek reboot films. That blew my mind away and got me sold on the whole movie instantly. Man of steel was an emotional ride for me. I found myself tearing up a couple of times during the first act of the film. Credit must go to David Goyer and Snyder for capturing the internal turmoil and strife that Clark Kent faces before accepting his calling to be the beacon of light that guides mankind from becoming extinct like Krypton. The action sequences were a beauty to behold. I was glad there was no use of slow-mo effects that Snyder is infamous for in his other films. I actually can picture Nolan’s universe of batman existing in Snyder’s superman universe. The lack of comedic relief in this 1st outing of man of steel can be forgiven because it was important to get his back story fleshed out for potential sequels. I think by taking a serious and realistic approach to this franchise they can build a solid foundation for JL movie or a World’s Finest movie. What also liked about man of steel was how the “villains” where defined in their motivations. General Zod and Faora’s back stories were really logical enough and added more depth to why they wanted to takeover earth in order to continue Krypton’s existence. Last but not least, Hans Zimmer’s score really pulled the strings in magnifying the scale of this movie. He captured all the emotions you should feel in every scene just by the use of music. Simply amazing! I’m gonna watch again 2moro in Imax 3D because I watched it in 2D only. I have to see planet Krypton in glorious 3D. Expand
  72. Jun 21, 2013
    First of all, i´m a huge superman fanboy, that being said, this movie rocks as far as being a darker version more realistic Superman movie, not the seudo tribute to Richard Donner that was Superman Returns.
    It´s superman meets The dark knight trilogy. Only complaint i had was the lack of John Williams superb soundtrack, it´s not there and that´s not cool at all, otherwise, it´s f...ing SUPERMAN, THE HERO OF SUPERHEROES.
  73. Jun 21, 2013
    This movie had everything this generation loves action thrill it was just suburb. People who liked the old general zod and that movie are just ruining this movie with the bad reviews and I even say next to an annoying guy during the movie and it was so good I still enjoyed it
  74. Jun 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed the movie and it continues a trend of making our super-hero's more human. The one thing I can respect is how the film tries to show the humanity and morality as a key theme. Russell Crowe was great in his role as superman's father, very solid performance. Amy Adams is always nice to see on the big screen and she was more believable than previous Louis Lanes for sure. Must see
  75. Jun 22, 2013
    This, to me, is one of the best Superman movies in history. It was very informative, it educated the audience on who the Man of Steel was/is. I would have given it a 10, but I felt that his childhood should have been incorporated more into the movie, being how the beginning started off. But, overall, I loved this film.
  76. Jun 29, 2013
    I don't normally write a superhero movie rant out of fear of showing my true nerdom and societal ridicule but I think it's worth it so here it goes:
    Man of Steel is one of the most underrated films of this year and you should see it. If you like alien invasion plots, go see this movie. If you like Russell Crow go this movie. If you like Michael Shannon's ridiculous angry face go this movie. If you like people being flung through large grain silos, or flung around in general go see this movie. If you think that anything that Christopher Nolan writes is Gospel, go see this movie. And most importantly if you want to see a something different in a superhero film, story about exploration, ability, empathy, and humanity, then go see this movie. And then go tell your friends.
  77. Jun 30, 2013
    Story-wise one of the best Superman movies made. It really showed in a great way how Superman's fate started out and how he ends up being Superman on Earth.

Thumps up for the great storytelling. Visually the movie is a masterpiece! But sometimes the heavy filled CGI action scenes is way way too long in my opinion. This sadly ruins the story a little, or at least my ability to be

Thumps up for the great storytelling.

Visually the movie is a masterpiece! But sometimes the heavy filled CGI action scenes is way way too long in my opinion. This sadly ruins the story a little, or at least my ability to be fully captivated in the flow of the story.

I give this a score of 9 because it really is a great movie! But the sometimes way too long action CGI scenes prevents it for getting a 10 when looking at the full perspective of the movie.
  78. Jul 2, 2013
    This is the Superman movie i had been waiting for in a long time. Henry Cavill is perfect as Clark Kent/Superman and Amy Adams is also great as Lois Lane. It´s not a masterpiece, but it is a great summer blockbuster!
  79. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Could this be the Superman movie that we've always wanted? Man of steel is one of the most anticipated movies this year, so it has a lot of hype to live up to. Finally, a Superman movie that kicks ass, Superman knows how to take down a baddy and we did not see this kind of Superman from Superman Returns, which is one of the reasons on why it was a huge disappointment to the fans. The action scenes in this movie were fantastic, buildings crumbling down, airplanes exploding, the scenes were mind blowing, expecially the final fight scene. The film has a lot of good actors, like Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and of course the man with the cape, Henry Cavill, they all did a terrific job with their characters. There were characters from the movie that had short development, which was a problem because if they don't develop throughout the whole movie, then we might not care about these characters, like Perry White and Faora. Sometimes the action scenes could get a bit dull, which would make these scenes a bit dragging, but the visuals from those scenes looked great. The chemistry had nothing special in it, it was rushed and forced at certain parts of the flick, like the scene were Superman and Lois holds hands for the first time, that scene just made no sense. Man of Steel was still a good movie and for me, it deserves a sequel. I am going to give Man of Steel a 9/10. Expand
  80. Jul 4, 2013
    It seems that this movie is incredibly polarizing. There was really only a few scenes that kept this movie from being "Dark Knight" caliber. Cavill is perfect for this role. Although this is not the traditional vision of Superman, It still makes for a compelling story. I feel that this whole series is going to be incredible when it is viewed as a whole trilogy.
  81. Jul 5, 2013
    The true Superman movie for a new generation. This is not a love letter to Reeves tenure as the Man of Steel for which "Superman Returns" was, this is the start of a series that will seemingly ground Superman more realistically and reignite the passion for this hero once more. This movie in short was PHENOMENAL! An incredible spectacle from start to finish, the film sets up an enrichingThe true Superman movie for a new generation. This is not a love letter to Reeves tenure as the Man of Steel for which "Superman Returns" was, this is the start of a series that will seemingly ground Superman more realistically and reignite the passion for this hero once more. This movie in short was PHENOMENAL! An incredible spectacle from start to finish, the film sets up an enriching mythology of Kryptonian society, provides kinetic action sequences for which superhero movies have not been realized to this degree thus far and an emotional depth to these beloved characters which was lacking from previous theatrical incarnations.

The actors portraying their roles bring about a gravitas that isn't cheesy and actually makes the audience feel for them in a heart moving way. Cavill perfectly plays his role that has undoubtedly brought dimensions of characterization unrealized to the masses who believe the last son of Krypton is a boy scout or indestructible...he is nothing of the kind! This Clark Kent is a highly conflicted individual who bears the burden of being an alien of two worlds, Cavill's solemn performance is much reminiscent of Christian Bale's take on Batman in The Dark Knight trilogy.

With Zack Snyders signature stylistic shooting, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan's writing, the film provides a breathtaking experience of Superman's capabilities fully realized with a threat to match. The action was outstanding, far surpassing any I have seen in this genre, the destruction as ridiculous as it seems IS warranted within the story and finally provides a devastation with lasting consequences (which some superhero films tend to shy away from). Hans Zimmer score compliments the film brilliantly and really made (for me anyways) a memorable modern score up there with the likes of Spider-man (First trilogy) and The Dark Knight trilogy.

Doing away with the constant barrage of one liners and comedy overloads, this film was a rather refreshing take on Superheroes, as much as it is in that genre the movie is also strongly based on high sci-fi concepts that will wet the appetite of lovers of that variety. The depth of story will leave people mesmerized, which is impressive in that it did not take/need several movies to build to a tale of this magnitude.

I have seen this movie twice already and if you have yet to see it well...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! If this is Superman's never ending battle debut for the rumored "DC Comics Cinematic Universe", I seriously cannot wait to see what the future holds for "Sector 2814" and the rest of the galaxy. This movie really resonated with me on many levels and I hope you feel for it as I did (not like the unforgiving critics who refuse the present and are too conflicted with the past notions of the Man of Steel to enjoy the film for what it is). A new take on the never ending battle begins here...Superman has really returned to the forefront!
  82. Jul 5, 2013
    I loved Man of Steel. It lived up to my expectations. It gave me that same feeling I had watching Justice League on Cartoon Network. Felt real and was not made mostly for little kids in mind. I hope it continues with this tone.
  83. Jul 10, 2013
    I was hesitant to go see this, as I was so very disappointed in the last effort to reboot the Superman story. But, I decided to just give it a chance and glad that I did. I took my two daughters (18 and 22) and we ladies enjoyed what most probably think is a "guy" movie. Aside from what I felt was an overly long fight between Zod and Kal-El, Man of Steel is well done. Acting,I was hesitant to go see this, as I was so very disappointed in the last effort to reboot the Superman story. But, I decided to just give it a chance and glad that I did. I took my two daughters (18 and 22) and we ladies enjoyed what most probably think is a "guy" movie. Aside from what I felt was an overly long fight between Zod and Kal-El, Man of Steel is well done. Acting, cinematography, music (score), and costumes are top-notch. Great entertainment! Expand
  84. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel features a darker and more realistic version of Superman. The story also tells full version of Superman and successfully answer all it's questions. Even it's excessive using of flashback may make some of the viewers uncomfortable and bored in watching this film. Expand
  85. Jul 20, 2013
    I'll just make it simple and mention good and bad aspects of the movie, in my opinion.
    GOOD THINGS: The story is great, you won't be bored; The visual effects are amazing; There are tons of epicness; The characters are very good, not only Superman will catch your attention; The happenings are well explained; There's lots of action; The movie is very well-balanced between innovation and those Superman clichés we all like; The climax is amazing.
    BAD THINGS: the movie is 100 minutes of begining and goes too quickly to 40 minutes of climax and ending; There are no big turnovers, which some people would expect from a movie Christopher Nolan is part of; The characters are good but none is fascinating. That's just the opinion of a fan. If you value epicness and action, it will be an amazing movie. If you want a suspenseful story, you'll rate it 'just regular'.
  86. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was absolutely awesome. Some say it was to "dark" for a superman movie, I disagree. It was realistic. Lots of destruction, (even a building going down, which in post 9/11 is ballsy, glad they did it though) but what do you think would happen if two super being fought in an urban landscape? One thing I had a bit of an issue with, Superman does something superman would neverThis movie was absolutely awesome. Some say it was to "dark" for a superman movie, I disagree. It was realistic. Lots of destruction, (even a building going down, which in post 9/11 is ballsy, glad they did it though) but what do you think would happen if two super being fought in an urban landscape? One thing I had a bit of an issue with, Superman does something superman would never do, but I'm ok with that. Henry Cavill was the best superman yet (He WAS SUPERMAN!!), wouldn't say he was the best clark kent I think Chistopher Reeve did the best playing clark, and was an awesome superman as well), but Caville was just a beast. nice to see a superman movie without the same old premise, by that I mean no kryptonite the entire movie!! I liked the last superman made, superman returns I believe, and thought the story line was good with him having a son, didn't like the ending in that one. This one obviously has no ties to that movie. This movie was slam, bam, destruction and action most of the movie. This superman reminded me somewhat of just all the destruction, he wasn't boozed up or anything like that. Anyway go see it if you haven't already!!! Expand
  87. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the better superman movie. don't go by metascore go watch it by yourself. Superman has always been powerful but in this movie you really feel it. This may not be acurate to the comic book superman which could be reason for low metascore.
  88. Jul 10, 2013
    I had low expectations from this movie, since the last one was pretty lame. Well, i really liked it, a lot. For sure it was COMPLETELY different from Superman 1, with Christopher Reeve. There is just something about that first movie that this new one did not have, a little more passion, feelings. What i mean is that this new movie DID NOT give me any goose bumps during the movieI had low expectations from this movie, since the last one was pretty lame. Well, i really liked it, a lot. For sure it was COMPLETELY different from Superman 1, with Christopher Reeve. There is just something about that first movie that this new one did not have, a little more passion, feelings. What i mean is that this new movie DID NOT give me any goose bumps during the movie whatsoever. And that is a very bad thing. One thing that killed it for me is that the superman song is not in it. After the movie ended i was like: "What the hell???" What happened to the superman song, the super hero song??? From what i recall, THAT is what gave me goose bumps in superman 1 as soon as the song began playing for the first time, you know, when superman begins to fly? Heck, even now after decades when i watch Christopher Reeve's first superman I still gives me goose bumps. I think the music in the man of steel was not so good, music during a movie matters SOOO MUCH! Very disappointing for me!

Other than that, the fights were awesome, the effects were nice, the cast i liked a lot. Another thing i liked about this movie is that Henry Cavill is more muscular, definitely helps a super hero look. I did thought that his hair was too long, again, compared to Christopher Reeve's superman look. I also liked this movie because i felt as if i was watching the original superman 1 and 2, "combined". Awesome! What i did not like is the end, the way superman kills general zod, and again, the MUSIC had not too much impact in me. They HAVE to correct this in the next movie for sure.

Over all i really liked the movie, but i think i still like the more recent Star Trek and bat man movies more.

One of the reasons why i LOVE the new Star Trek movies is because they started playing the original song, an awesome and classic song. Some things should just NOT be changed.
  89. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing the trailer, i have prepared my self for a movie full of only drama, I've never been so wrong, and I've never been at the edge of my seat, the way i was in the theater. From start to end, Man of Steel was action packed, and still succeeded in telling the story of how the Man of Steel became the super hero icon that we know and love. Having said that, the action scenes tends to get a bit too much, to the point where i felt that i lost focus on some of the fight scenes. This movie is nothing short from epic, and i would recommend any one who is a fan of comic book heroes to watch it ASAP. Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2013
    As a kid I was always more of a fan of Marvel comics, but Man of Steel is my favortite superhero movie outside of the Dark Knight trilogy. Superman gets a dose of humanity here without getting cheesy or relying on jokey bumbling. Action is pretty satisfying, rebuilding all those destroyed buildings should help revive the struggling construction sector.
  91. Jun 14, 2013
    Great Movie, most of critic reviews are nonsense, it is a great start for the new saga of Superman, the only weak points i found are, maybe too much details in the story, and maybe just maybe, too much destruction, but the movie was meant to be made in this way

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle. Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle.

Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting was terrific.

This is an almost perfect beginning for a perfect sequel.
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a DragonBall Z Movie become a Real Movie! Deep and meaningful story, it explained why the Superman need to suit up, why the Kryptonite stone will weaken the man of steel. And the last part of the movie is SUPER ACTION PACKED! Just like DBZ come alive! punching through giant building, destruction and lightning speed fighting! One of the best action scene in recent years!
  93. Jun 14, 2013
    Great movie, the character of Superman is above that of Bale as Batman or any other superhero. He is Stoic and reminds me of Gosling in drive. Doesnt need to say much or emote much and that is what makes you interested in him. The character drove me a lot. The story was great too!
  94. Jun 21, 2013
    Somewhat humorless and a few silly story elements, but spectacular set pieces and visuals. Even acting throughout. A nice, different kick at the can at the Superman character. First movie to really show how powerful Superman really is in the comic books. (without oddities like turning back time or memory-sapping kisses) Thoroughly enjoyed it despite it's problems.
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best superman film yet!! The story was pretty dark, serious, and kinda emotional-thanks to Nolan of course. The action was amazing, the last 25-30 mins were non-stop over the top action-thank you Zack Snyder. The story of course was really good, talked about krypton which was good, how Superman/Clark Kent learn about his origin and how his step father taught him to be a better person when he was young. Lots of moral lesson in this film which I like. The pacing of the film was okay..I wished they took their time talking more about Superman/Clark when he was young. Overall the film was awesome, action was intense, cgi was top notch, and the story was dark and serious. Can't wait for a sequel. Expand
  96. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder did a great job of melding a sci-fi movie with a big summer action movie. I was a little worried before I saw it, given all of the bad reviews, but II'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder did a great job of melding a sci-fi movie with a big summer action movie. I was a little worried before I saw it, given all of the bad reviews, but I would highly recommend it. Great action movie, well worth the money. Expand
  97. Jun 21, 2013
    Great reboot to a much beloved super hero. As long as you go into this knowing that it is in fact reimagining you won't be to disappointed. I hope that the keep the sequels coming.
  98. Jun 17, 2013
    very entertaining movie with fight scenes that shows how superhumans fight. but something was lacking.
    christian bale was batman, rdjr is iron man... but henry, just wasn't superman enough.

but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did not get to see the clark kent we all know till the end. MUST watch!
  99. Jun 16, 2013
    went out with the Mrs to see the latest from Mr Snyder and Mr Nolan and have to say WOW!! as reboots are concerned,well done.the origin of baby Kal-El is fleshed out much more then in past iterations of the story.Superman's father Jo-El is given far more weight story wise.its the Fathers(plural)that do play a bigger role in the formation of Kal's character which i found on of allwent out with the Mrs to see the latest from Mr Snyder and Mr Nolan and have to say WOW!! as reboots are concerned,well done.the origin of baby Kal-El is fleshed out much more then in past iterations of the story.Superman's father Jo-El is given far more weight story wise.its the Fathers(plural)that do play a bigger role in the formation of Kal's character which i found on of all times,fathers day weekend,rather refreshing.when we do get to see Mr Cavill in blue spandex and cape,the journey he has taken to get to that point,fulfilling his destined role feels far more substantial because of the Jor-el/Kent dynamic.this of course was lost entirely by some of the big mainstream critics,who seemed to focus more on the massive collateral damage of the super fist fights Superman engages in later on in the film.i chalk this up to the jaded sensibilities of people whose world view is steeped in the 1978 film with Christopher Reeve.i find their revulsion at the level of violence and scale of the action rather quaint.this is what i would expect a SUPER-HERO movie to have in it,characters with incredible power at their disposal engaging in urban renewal on a massive scale.for those whom probably have never picked up and read any of the comics back in the day i can understand their trepidation.i just think its silly.i greatly enjoyed the movie for both the story and the spectacle.there are some gaffs performance wise by some of the players in certain spots,but nothing so jarring as to pull you out of the experience.ultimately its what a summer movie has come to be.big,grand,EPIC! and well worth a trip to you're local theater. Expand
  100. Jun 19, 2013
    "Man Of Steel" was totally entertaining and enjoyable for a fantasy sci-fi action film and as such I give it a 9 of 10. I like the fresh and different approach to this franchise and hope they continue to expand the upcoming sequels with the same freshness. I am thinking Henry Cavill has just become a superstar personality and rightly so for he does a fine job as the man of steel. Worth a look.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.