7.6

1. Jun 22, 2013
    Everything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for a comicbook adaptation but overall the action sequences steal the show. Triumphant return for Superman. Just wish Zod had asked him to kneel.
  2. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite what most 'reviews' are saying this is easily one of the best science-fiction/superhero movie ever made. Finally a superman movie that was done right, as close as it can get to the origin story and portrayed the way it should be. Yes, it may not be perfect (nothing is) but this one movie has set the wheel in motion for all the good things to come and I cannot wait what Snyder, Goyer has up their sleeves in the next installment and as far as Justice League is concerned. Yes, it may have gone the full drama route to develop the characters further, and in doing so that would leave the movie little time to dish out all the crazy good battle scenes. I felt Snyder and co did a great job balancing between narration and action sequence quite well. It is well paced for a 2 hours 30 minutes movie.

I do not think I would have this movie in any other way, I know I will be going back to see this a couple of more times before my thirst for the epic reincarnation of the daddy of all superhero is quenched. This is the Superman movie we needed, for this time, for this and the generations to come. Similar to the way Reeves did for most of us old timers back in the eighties.
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    Loved it! I'm not usually a supes fan but this had me the whole film. I wasn't bored for a single second and I honestly couldn't see a single negative about the film that seems to have divided most critics. I actually felt far more emotionally involved with this film than any of the new Marvel films.
    Specifically I was worried about the religious undertones in this film and that it would have classic Zak Snider empty characterisation, but I think Nolan has had a really positive effect on Zak, This is by far the most interesting Superman and Zod is just pure cool.
    Loved it all and was definitely one of those "I could go straight back into the cinema and watch it again" movies.
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The actionMan of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The action sequences were absolutely amazing. The fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat, they were tough and at times brutal and ultimately just delivered what I had hoped to see out of this movie. Michael Shannon was fantastic as Zod but his female side-kick almost stole the show. Amy Adams as Louis Lane was probably my least favorite character, not because she is a bad actress and does horrible, I just have a hard time picturing her as Louis. Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane were perfectly cast and I love they signed on for what could be considered minor parts.

This is definitely one of those the critics got wrong. They have some legitimate critiques of the Man of Steel but I don't think enough weight has been given to its strengths which are many. If you listen to the critics this time around you are depriving yourself of an awesome entertainment experience. Go see it!
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the most AMAZING movies i've seen in my live, i cried when i watched at cinema, fight sequences are EPIC!!! Dont listen Critics bad reviews, they
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    After the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero andAfter the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero and unlike the (2006) movie delivers magnificently on the action as well. Do not miss it. Expand
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is truly an achievement.

Man of Steel is truly an achievement.

Zack Snyder took an impecable cast, a classic character and turned it into the loudest, most exciting film he could make that felt like the best Superman comic literally come to life. The origin story was paced brilliantly through well segued flashback sequences to get a sense of what life was like growing up for our hero without dwelling on upwards of an hour of footage that would have acted as an extended montage.

The true accomplishment with this film I found was still in the level of feeling like a comic in the sense that not everything needed to be shown. Snyder played to the intelligence of the viewer and the ability to infer. We weren't needed to show in great detail why Kal trusts Lois, you just feel it in their interactions (which likely extend far beyond what is shown on screen).

Virtually everyone cast in this film owns their respective role. Cavill's brooding longing to understand who he is, Amy Adams' fierce determination drives her character, Michael Shannon is intimidating, and desperate and Antje Traue demonstrates the most demonic sense of superiority that she truly is terrifying in the role of Faora.

This is by far the best looking film so far this year, the action sequences are exciting to look at and well choreographed and the use of long shots really add to the powerful atmosphere of the film. Man of Steel is, as previously stated, a cinematic achievement that is more than worthy of the Superman brand.
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    I think the flaws in this movie were exaggerated. I did not see anything majorly wrong with this film. Henry Cavill was destined to be Superman. Man of Steel is, in my opinion, the best Superman movie made.
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    I don't exactly know what other people watched but I think this is a great movie! If you want thought provoking drama movies, go to the sundance festival or some such! This movie is supposed to be action and it delivers! This is how superman fights should be!

I will watch the sequel if it comes out.
  10. Jul 3, 2013
    Hands down this was the BEST MOVIE of the summer and best SUPERMAN move ever! Don't listed to the NEGATIVE Critics that are probably getting paid to dumb down this movie....it was spectacular! Best graphics, Best acting, edge of your seat entertaining. I plan to take the whole family to see it again, this time we are going to see it in 3D!
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    I've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & II've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & I have a feeling the sequal will be amazing. Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    I got high hope for the movie after I witnessed how Nolan accomplished for Batman franchise. The movie is great, I must say. But it got multiple rough edges. My actual score is 7.8.
    I don't think the superman is too serious. He is funny enough in another way, like a normal human. He is optimistic, helpful, just like what a great person should be. The movie also reached my expectation on the stance of delivering emotion. The movie truely showed me the conflict in Clark about being normal or unusual.
    However, my first complain about the movie is the performance of some characters. Take Zod as an example, he never showed any sort of emotion. He was just shouting about how he love his people. I believe the movie wants to squeeze a little bit more from him but failed. General Zod and his people are like bad guys with BAD on their faces.
    Second is some of the plot made no sense. Why Zod wants Louise aboard? Why there's a control plug-in in her supposed jail? Why their ships' control is that easy to be overwritten? Why Zod is that easy to be killed even after he takes off his armor? It feels like the good guys were hacking to win.
    The third is the fighting scenes are way too chaotic even on Superman's stance. With the help of Bourne-like shaky camera and half-ass 3D effect, my eyes hurt a little. The fighting sequences are always like "Superman shut up, he gets hit; Superman shout, he wins."
    Overall, the movie worth the tickets, and I'm highly recommended it to DC fans and guys who want to see a blockbuster to kill some time. But I don't think it will be as memorable as Dark Knight Trilogy after couple of years.
  13. Jun 22, 2013
    the first part of the film is a bit clueless but the second part starts with a quarter turn and can not be stopped
    for me the film is really good but I was expecting something amazing but what I saw wasn't rotten but the film was a film that mixed superman and 2012
    but otherwise good work snyder and nolan
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    A more human Superman hasn't been seen on the big screen yet. And even though Clark Kent is a man who knows himself, Superman is still learning how to be a super hero.
    Even though it is an origins movie, it feels epic, and the battles are truly of comic book scale.
    Henry Cavill is excellent all across the board; the visual effects are beautiful, and the destruction is of huge proportions.
    However, there are many weak points that prevent the movie from being perfect: Goyer's screenplay is, again, full of plot holes; the Krypton sequence is highly nonsensical, and Zod is quite shallow, specially in comparison to Terrence Stamp's role and performance in Superman 2.
    But the movie's strong points are very strong, and Christopher Nolan's touches can be felt all over the experience, which makes it a story deserving of the man of steel.
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    I had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashedI had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashed superheroes movies is the way most companies have them done for kids. Expand
  16. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great return for Superman. Great in many aspects and particularly in the beginning half where the back-story is explained.

Acting here is good in some parts, bad in others. Everyone except Lois Lane was fine considering this is an interpretation of superman, not a translation. What I thought was unbelievable is Lois Lane and Superman falling for each other. A crush is plausible but Superman is here, there and everywhere. So how can a crush turn into love when he's hardly around Lois to develop anything? Story is also quite good except, again, Lois Lane appearing and going to places she'd never get near. The emotional content around what happens to Krypton is very, very good.

A superhero movie that focuses on emotion, story, spectacle, and enjoyment is what I wanted out of this. It delivers.
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    I had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposableI had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposable "Sucker Punch." But I was hopeful given the guiding hand of producer/screenwriter Christopher Nolan and screenwriter David S. Goyer.

Man of Steel was a pleasant surprised and vigorously entertaining.

Russell Crowe nearly resurrects his Gladiator greatness as Kal-El's/Clark's/Superman's reserved but badass father on Krypton. The deeper dive into the chapter of Krypton's demise is absolutely captivating with the addition of a ton of science fiction elements.

Instead of re-treading Superman's back-story on earth which has been covered abundantly already, the use of flashbacks between the adult and young Clark works really well. Henry Cavill as Superman does a decent job switching from brooding to giddy to serious, although when he's not in his suit his sculpted body looks totally unreal. Amy Adams as Lois Lane plays the part of a strong female lead well while putting the character, as always, in completely ridiculous situations requiring the classic save by Superman.

Michael Shannon from HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" is solid as the maniacal and ethnocentric General Zod.

Unfortunately, the movie falls into tedium and redundancy during the "smash-things" climax where Superman and Zod (and his minions) do 20-times more smashing and destruction than all of "The Hulk" movies combined. The Avengers smash-things climax was even longer (I think) but 20-times more entertaining because they smashed things in very different ways. There is a limit to how many times you can watch invincible beings get hurled through buildings.

Ultimately, even these flaws can't diminish a well-crafted reboot of the oldest super hero of all time. Zack Snyder may have just got his mojo back.
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie is AMAZING.The backstory is great as well as the story,it is very emotional in some parts and has some on the best effects I have ever seen in a movie theater.
  19. Jun 16, 2013
    Super Amazing and Super Intense. The movie was great but there were some parts that didn't make sense like the part when superman healed lois with his heat vision. It had so much action that it was really hard to remember the story. It also showed way to many flashbacks the entire movie. To me it kind of felt like a remake of superman 2. Its a must see film for all the DC comic fans like myself.
  20. Jun 15, 2013
    The critics are funny.... A superhero or comic book adaptation will never seem to have the plot that most of your run-of-the-mill critics will enjoy.

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you. It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you.

It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing the humble Superman but a great hero needs a great villian. General Zod (MIchael Shannon) and his second command Faora-Ul (Antje Traue) do a great job in the battle scenes, plot and dialogue.

I'm not sure where they go from here as movie almost leaves no idea on where it might go next (Luthor?) but as long as Nolan and Snyder are at the helm then I'll be in line to see the movie.
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    (More of a 9.5) Awesome movie, critics are just being stupid. They believe this movie is too dark but its not. If you were to put superman in the situations he's been growing up, this is how it would be. Acting was amazing and story was very well written. Characters had so much layers to them, which made it all the better. The script is probably hands down one of the best. The gems in the(More of a 9.5) Awesome movie, critics are just being stupid. They believe this movie is too dark but its not. If you were to put superman in the situations he's been growing up, this is how it would be. Acting was amazing and story was very well written. Characters had so much layers to them, which made it all the better. The script is probably hands down one of the best. The gems in the script bring smiles to your face. Critics just don't understand this movie. I forgot about one thing, THE ACTION! The action scenes in the movie are far by one of the best I've ever seen. SO, PLEASE WATCH THIS MOVIE! It's amazing. Expand
  22. Jun 20, 2013
    A strong and solid Superhero Origins movie, may not be the absolute masterpiece of the genre but is one of the best beginning.

Man of Steel is in line with Nolan's Batman Begins or Sam Raimi's Spider-man, and while being not very much better than the first Iron Man is indeed more epic, more human, more deep and more BIG. What is less: is less witty, less funny and less rich of humor

What is less: is less witty, less funny and less rich of humor wich is really bad! (Straczinsky's Superman: Earth One has a lot to teach about!)

What is more than any other movie: this Man of Steel is more concerning the true meaning of superheros than any other movie and than ALL other movies together we have seen during the last 3-4 years.

The Greatest Superhero has finally returned.
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    Such an AMAZINGLY AWESOME experience not just a movie. Thanks to all who were involved in bringing us the people, the consumer, the fans those that truly do matter (unlike the typical negative critic everyone knows is just starved for attention.) such a world class film. I look very forward to more "Man of Steel". The bar hasn't been raised, it's been flown into the stratosphere. Not justSuch an AMAZINGLY AWESOME experience not just a movie. Thanks to all who were involved in bringing us the people, the consumer, the fans those that truly do matter (unlike the typical negative critic everyone knows is just starved for attention.) such a world class film. I look very forward to more "Man of Steel". The bar hasn't been raised, it's been flown into the stratosphere. Not just an epic comic book movie but as a whole one of the best movies I've witnessed. Expand
  24. Jun 17, 2013
    As expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for noAs expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for no Underwear on pants and just wear a specs to hide ur identity..Man of Steel does complete justice to our Fav superhero..The vision of a person's struggle with his own identity...and what he he finally does..is absolutely stunning & beautiful..though at times it lacked momentum which was dealt with...Those giving -ve reviews...should consider the fact that this was just the first movie of a series...There's a lot more to come....giving a hope for better superhero movies......This movie stand true to the 'S' symbol of hope!! Expand
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    Great performances all around and some of the best effects I've seen in any comic book film. This is the Superman movie I've wanted to see for a long time.

Henry Cavil gives a breakout performance while Russell Crowe gives us the best version of Jor-El I've ever seen in film, comics or otherwise. And make no mistake, this movie is all about Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. I was very

I was very happy the filmmakers didn't attempt to just remake the Richard Donner films of the 70s and 80s. That was tried in 2006's Superman Returns to much critical acclaim and not much in the way of box office numbers.

MoS really gives us an in-depth picture of who Clark Kent is, not so much in his dialog, but in his actions and sometimes inaction. From the time he's a kid to the time he's an adult he's faced with some really tough decisions. That's a running theme of this film and, yes, it's a familiar one: With great power, comes great responsibility. Is it an old trope? Sure, but it's still relevant to the superhero conversation.

Unlike Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, this movie takes a darker world and puts a modern Superman in it. Is the movie gritty? Not really. There are plenty of dark characters and moments, but Superman himself (along with Lois Lane, Perry White, The Kents and especially Jor-El) gives off great amounts of hope. The world around them seems harsh and cynical, but there is a light in the darkness.

Unlike Batman, Superman makes the decision to step out of the shadows and make himself known. Granted, there wasn't much choice in the matter, but when push comes to shove, this Superman makes the choice he feels is right, even when it takes a tremendous emotional toll on him.

I usually don't like a lot of time spent on Krypton when it comes to Superman films or TV shows, but this movie actually made that part seem interesting. It even works in some cool effects and action, which was very unexpected.

Is the movie perfect? Of course not, there's no such thing as a perfect film. Amy Adams shows so much potential to be the best on-screen Lois Lane there's ever been, but she doesn't get enough development in this movie to show us that completely. Kevin Costner gives such a tear-inducing performance, you can't help but feel his part was underwritten. Same with Diane Lane's Martha Kent, but at least that lady gets to be a real firecracker in one scene I'm going to remember as one of the all-time greats from any superhero film.

Lawrence Fishburne just barely scratched the surface of his Perry White, but he's definitely the right choice for the role. Way better than what we got in Superman Returns. This Perry White is a take-charge, hard-news man. And he gets his own hero moment when things get really crazy toward the end.

The humor in the movie is kept to a lower level than the Richard Donner films, but that's to its benefit in my view. Campy humor can be lots of fun and is in the Donner films. I love Otis probably more than any person should. But, for the modern screen, that type of things just doesn't work. Especially not if DC/Warner Bros. is really planning to compete with Marvel/Disney.

Still, a sequel (now pretty much inevitable) could use with a little more comic relief. Not a ton, but that's where some good banter between Clark and Lois might help, along with maybe the introduction of Jimmy Olsen.

But if the story/acting/effects don't give you chills, I don't see how Hans Zimmer's score could do anything less. One of the best movie scores of the last decade, possibly ever.

I'm one of those people that liked Iron Man 3. I say that as a preface to this: I LOVED Man of Steel! It's certainly going to divide the fans as it has the critics, but I think this is the way to go for cinematic DC Universe. I can't wait to see where this leads next.
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a great film. There was the origins of the hero's life, intense builds and tons and tons of insane action sequences. The film really showed just how heroic and powerful Sherman can really be, with enough seriousness and geekyness for an awesome fanboy joyride.
  27. Jun 16, 2013
    This is by far the best Superman movie. And one of the best superhero films. It's not perfect; there are some plot holes, the fight scenes are a little long and it's put together a little choppy. None the less; the casting is fantastic, the music is top notch, the story is compelling and the action is intense. I left the theatre with tears of joy and an excitement for the future of Superman films.
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    Having seen the poor scores posted by the critics here on Metacritic I honestly thought this was going to be a really poor and lackluster affair. Fortunately, for me at least, this was not the case. I loved the references to Batman, Lex Luthor and to a much lesser extent Aquaman. All in all I thought it was a fantastic film.

I'd advise people not to judge this film by the score the

I'd advise people not to judge this film by the score the critics have given it. Man of Steel, at the time of writing this review is sitting at 55 while Fast and Furious 6 is sitting at 61. Having seen both "Man of Steel" and "Fast and Furious 6" I find this strange to say the least. It's most definitely the last time I trust a "critic" to judge a film for me.
  29. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MoS es una película donde se ve claramente el estilo ya marcado de David.S.goyer con el inicio justificando las motivaciones de Superman y esos falsos clímax. La única actuación que no me convenció fue la madre alienigena que al ver a su esposo muerto, tardo en reaccionar. No le doy 10 por problemas con el montaje, el inicio es confuso, y esos saltos entre presente y pasado hace que la historia no la termina de asimilar, he incluso la transición entre escenas es inmediata perdiéndome por no saber cuanto tiempo ha pasado Con respecto a Louis Lane, es un personaje creíble, intrépida como son los periodistas y con una excelente personificación por parte de Amy Adams, pero en el guion por tratar de ponerla como protagonista queda en situaciones forzadas, ella es humana, no puede estar en todas partes. Como por ejemplo cuando la gente de Zod se la lleva al espacio sin justificación y cuando en la pelea final, luego de Superman y Zod pelear por toda la ciudad, alejándose por km de donde empezaron, Louis llega a los minutos al sitio. El hecho de planificar la película como un unitario fue lo que hizo que fuera extensa tratando de abarcar toda la historia, por lo que fácilmente se puede dividir la película en dos, una donde muestra a Jor-El luchando por sacar a su hijo de Krypton y la infancia de Kal-El y la otra donde por fin vemos que Zod amenaza a la tierra. El papel de Crowe que pensábamos que seria olvidado luego de su muerte tiene una importancia incluso mayor que las que tuvieron los padres adoptivos. Shannon hace de villano espectacularmente, sera todo un reto conseguir un villano más fuerte que él para la 2da entrega. Los padres adoptivos de Clark- Kent entre salto y salto en el montaje hace que se pierda su objetivo que es ser la parte nostálgica y reflexiva de la película. Cavill como Superman mostró un gran carisma que Routh no pudo lograr en Superma Return. La maldición de Superman se ha roto! Creo que puliendo estos detalles( un montaje más ordenado, Lane en situaciones propias a sus limitaciones como humana, consiguiendo un villano cruel) la segunda parte será igual o mejor que The Dark Knight Expand
  30. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great summer movie that makes up for all the action and spectacle not seen in Superman Returns. All of the characters are great and performances. The action is a lot of fun and Snyder's visuals are of coarse stunning. Hans Zimmer's score is PHENOMENAL! Man of Steel has a little choppy editing but nonetheless is still a great Superman film. Man of Steel: A-
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel=The GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER!!! Best Movie this Year Overall. I was waiting for something like this for so many years and finally we have it!
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    Amazing action, wonderfully put together and a joy to watch .Brings Superman straight into the 21st century! Cant wait to watch it again! I'm a massive Superman fan, and wasnt that impressed by Singer's 2006 Superman, and ultimatly, thought he would fall behind as the worlds favorite Superhero. But this film has restored my faith and is a rip-roaring ride! Wonderful!!!
  33. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like aFinally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like a school yard fight in comparison. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2013
    The best superhero and action movie ever launched at theaters. With the action,effect, and the epic scene on the big screen. Better than the avengers. Can't wait for the sequel
  35. Jun 16, 2013
    Action was superb and the effects were as good as any I've seen, if not better. A small concern though is the lack of thought concerning all the damage done by the fight. Superman cares about that sort of thing and it wasn't highlighted too much in this film.
  36. Jun 17, 2013
    Despite what others wanted. I have been waiting for a superman movie that was willing to go darker and violent then its previous attempts. Though this movie was far from perfect it was very enjoyable and truly showed what kind destruction someone of this magnitude can cause.

I find it comical that some critics are upset that its to serious and not loaded with humor like the Avengers. Its a directors vision of how he wants the movie why should be follow suit of previous superman movies. I found a few scenes funny so maybe its just their humor that needs readjusting.

The movie really focuses a lot on Kal-El internal struggles accepting who he is and his powers. This movie shows some emotional depth in the man of steel, we finally get to see how he really struggled and that he truly is not perfect like everyone complains about. Ultimately he is faced with a decision that changes him into the Superman we all know and love.

I went into the movie with very high hopes and this movie did not fail to deliver. Its not going to win an oscar but will keep you glue to the edge of your seats and Superman fans will find it a treat.
  37. Jun 17, 2013
    the man of steel is the best movie of all the time, including all the marvel movies that are a joke, I recommend this movie because it is very epic, and emocialmente serious. I stole a couple of tears I assure you.
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We always wished for a Superman movie that was an epic above all.. Man of Steel is that one. Good script and direction, above all the action is just unbelievable.. this will convince you that Superman is not only much more powerful than any human and that he has an attitude too.. when need arises he can break some necks. Expand
  39. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all my years I've been waiting for a new superman movie and it finally came. Man of Steel is one of the greatest hero films ever i am very proud of watching the movie it is really a great story line of telling superman how his struggle in the world to become what people really need him to be the savior of earth. I thank you to Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Christopher Nolan who made this film to put DC back in it's place and to bring back the greatest superhero come to life again. Man of Steel is the perfect movie to watch over and over. I also would like to thank the cast members of playing their role in Man of Steel they did a excellent job at being the characters and making this movie happen. What ever critics are saying that man of steel is not a good superman movie they are wrong this movie captured everything including great story details, this is a new generation a new era where superman will once again reign supreme as the greatest superhero on earth and in films. #1 MAN OF STEEL is GREAT
    #DC Nation all the way.
  40. Jun 19, 2013
    It's not a great improvement from Superman movies, but "Man Of Steel" has some great special effects, is well acted, with a very interesting storyline.
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    This is the Zack-Christopher Masterpiece, combined with Hans Zimmer awesomeness, this movie gives you chills, from the beginning until the end !
    Don't know what is wrong about the critics on this..
  42. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest in my humble opinion, the opening sequence on planet Krypton felt so much more fleshed out than the entire Star Trek reboot films. That blew my mind away and got me sold on the whole movie instantly. Man of steel was an emotional ride for me. I found myself tearing up a couple of times during the first act of the film. Credit must go to David Goyer and Snyder for capturing the internal turmoil and strife that Clark Kent faces before accepting his calling to be the beacon of light that guides mankind from becoming extinct like Krypton. The action sequences were a beauty to behold. I was glad there was no use of slow-mo effects that Snyder is infamous for in his other films. I actually can picture Nolan’s universe of batman existing in Snyder’s superman universe. The lack of comedic relief in this 1st outing of man of steel can be forgiven because it was important to get his back story fleshed out for potential sequels. I think by taking a serious and realistic approach to this franchise they can build a solid foundation for JL movie or a World’s Finest movie. What also liked about man of steel was how the “villains” where defined in their motivations. General Zod and Faora’s back stories were really logical enough and added more depth to why they wanted to takeover earth in order to continue Krypton’s existence. Last but not least, Hans Zimmer’s score really pulled the strings in magnifying the scale of this movie. He captured all the emotions you should feel in every scene just by the use of music. Simply amazing! I’m gonna watch again 2moro in Imax 3D because I watched it in 2D only. I have to see planet Krypton in glorious 3D. Expand
  43. Jun 21, 2013
    First of all, i´m a huge superman fanboy, that being said, this movie rocks as far as being a darker version more realistic Superman movie, not the seudo tribute to Richard Donner that was Superman Returns.
    It´s superman meets The dark knight trilogy. Only complaint i had was the lack of John Williams superb soundtrack, it´s not there and that´s not cool at all, otherwise, it´s f...ing SUPERMAN, THE HERO OF SUPERHEROES.
  44. Jun 21, 2013
    This movie had everything this generation loves action thrill it was just suburb. People who liked the old general zod and that movie are just ruining this movie with the bad reviews and I even say next to an annoying guy during the movie and it was so good I still enjoyed it
  45. Jun 22, 2013
    Really enjoyed the movie and it continues a trend of making our super-hero's more human. The one thing I can respect is how the film tries to show the humanity and morality as a key theme. Russell Crowe was great in his role as superman's father, very solid performance. Amy Adams is always nice to see on the big screen and she was more believable than previous Louis Lanes for sure. Must see
  46. Jun 29, 2013
    I don't normally write a superhero movie rant out of fear of showing my true nerdom and societal ridicule but I think it's worth it so here it goes:
    Man of Steel is one of the most underrated films of this year and you should see it. If you like alien invasion plots, go see this movie. If you like Russell Crow go this movie. If you like Michael Shannon's ridiculous angry face go this movie. If you like people being flung through large grain silos, or flung around in general go see this movie. If you think that anything that Christopher Nolan writes is Gospel, go see this movie. And most importantly if you want to see a something different in a superhero film, story about exploration, ability, empathy, and humanity, then go see this movie. And then go tell your friends.
  47. Jun 30, 2013
    Story-wise one of the best Superman movies made. It really showed in a great way how Superman's fate started out and how he ends up being Superman on Earth.

Thumps up for the great storytelling. Visually the movie is a masterpiece! But sometimes the heavy filled CGI action scenes is way way too long in my opinion. This sadly ruins the story a little, or at least my ability to be

Thumps up for the great storytelling.

Visually the movie is a masterpiece! But sometimes the heavy filled CGI action scenes is way way too long in my opinion. This sadly ruins the story a little, or at least my ability to be fully captivated in the flow of the story.

I give this a score of 9 because it really is a great movie! But the sometimes way too long action CGI scenes prevents it for getting a 10 when looking at the full perspective of the movie.
  48. Jul 10, 2013
    I had low expectations from this movie, since the last one was pretty lame. Well, i really liked it, a lot. For sure it was COMPLETELY different from Superman 1, with Christopher Reeve. There is just something about that first movie that this new one did not have, a little more passion, feelings. What i mean is that this new movie DID NOT give me any goose bumps during the movieI had low expectations from this movie, since the last one was pretty lame. Well, i really liked it, a lot. For sure it was COMPLETELY different from Superman 1, with Christopher Reeve. There is just something about that first movie that this new one did not have, a little more passion, feelings. What i mean is that this new movie DID NOT give me any goose bumps during the movie whatsoever. And that is a very bad thing. One thing that killed it for me is that the superman song is not in it. After the movie ended i was like: "What the hell???" What happened to the superman song, the super hero song??? From what i recall, THAT is what gave me goose bumps in superman 1 as soon as the song began playing for the first time, you know, when superman begins to fly? Heck, even now after decades when i watch Christopher Reeve's first superman I still gives me goose bumps. I think the music in the man of steel was not so good, music during a movie matters SOOO MUCH! Very disappointing for me!

Other than that, the fights were awesome, the effects were nice, the cast i liked a lot. Another thing i liked about this movie is that Henry Cavill is more muscular, definitely helps a super hero look. I did thought that his hair was too long, again, compared to Christopher Reeve's superman look. I also liked this movie because i felt as if i was watching the original superman 1 and 2, "combined". Awesome! What i did not like is the end, the way superman kills general zod, and again, the MUSIC had not too much impact in me. They HAVE to correct this in the next movie for sure.

Over all i really liked the movie, but i think i still like the more recent Star Trek and bat man movies more.

One of the reasons why i LOVE the new Star Trek movies is because they started playing the original song, an awesome and classic song. Some things should just NOT be changed.
  49. Jul 23, 2013
    As a kid I was always more of a fan of Marvel comics, but Man of Steel is my favortite superhero movie outside of the Dark Knight trilogy. Superman gets a dose of humanity here without getting cheesy or relying on jokey bumbling. Action is pretty satisfying, rebuilding all those destroyed buildings should help revive the struggling construction sector.
  50. Jun 16, 2013
    Thus was a great movie the performances were good there were very good fight scenes. I have given the movie a 9 because i think that the movie went on a little long and the use of 3D was not that great but apart from that great movie one of the best of this year
  51. Jun 30, 2013
    Critics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolvesCritics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolves around the destroy of a city, The special effects look amazing and I kind of regret not seeing it in 3D. The plot reveals far more back story to Superman then any of the previous Superman films and was pretty solid over all.

In the end, Man of Steel is the must see summer action film and I will gladly pre-order it on Blu-ray when it comes out for home release. Go and see this movie, It's amazing.
  52. Jun 28, 2013
    Pretty good Superman! Way better than the 3 ordinary 1 before. I can't believe those "pro" gave it a 55. What the heck are they basing their rating on? This is the kind of superheros movie we need. CONTENT! I learned more about Superman then the 3 old craps with their RIDICULOUS vilains. I want more of this kind.
  53. Jun 22, 2013
    Whatever you do, dont let the reviewers crappy score for the movie miss guide you. Superman Returns has score of 75% by reviewers and we all know how bad that movie was. This movie is at least 2 times the movie superman returns is and trust me when I tell you that the movie will not disappoint.
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I giveTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
  55. Jul 16, 2013
    The movie we all have been waiting for. It's just incredible and much better when you see it twice. Amazing action, spectacular visual effects, tremendous acting, powerful soundtrack and well composed story. I must say that Antje Traue was one of my favourite and Henry Cavill is, by far, the best Superman after Christopher Reeve. 10/10
  56. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely love, every actor was perfect for the part, Man of Steel is made of legend. He resurrected the Superman's mythos. All in this movie was worthy of attenction
  57. Jul 4, 2013
    Amazing superman movie,while it could have done with a little bit of light touch still its the superman movie I always wanted. The action was the highlight and man that was amazing.love it,I hope they will continue to give strong action packed movies like this maybe next time with a bit more heart & soul so that it would be perfect.
  58. Jun 22, 2013
    I guess the development of the story is fast, but is visually awesome and a perfect welcome to the century XXI to Superman, I think it fits to this new era.
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely sensational film. So original and refreshing. Acting and Action we're among the highlights. Great start for the DC Cinematic universe! I am not sure why it is receiving so much criticism. One of the best CBM's yet!
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    Mature, intelligent, and polished. The planet Krypton chapter was so interesting I could of watched a whole 2 hour movie just in that world. Many familiar faces make a show and it works. Fight scenes are quick and exciting. Certainly worth a franchise reborn.
  61. Jun 14, 2013
    a diferencia del otro superman este esta cargado de mas acción tiene una mejor historia una actuaciones increíbles, y lo mejor es que en ningún momento de la película uno sufre aburrimiento
  62. Jun 14, 2013
    If someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don'tIf someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don't suggest that you watch this movie.. I'm TELLING you to go see this movie! grab your wife, kids, pet dog sparky and haul a$$ to the theater! Expand
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seenMan of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seen him before in a movie, there's no Clark Kent fumbling round the offices of the Daily Planet (I'm sure that will be in the sequel) but instead there is a man on a mission to discover who he really is, where he came from and what his purpose is in life. The opening scene to Man of Steel got me fully invested into the film, the action kicked off straight away and set up the villain for the rest of the film. General Dru Zod is one fantastic villain for the first film in a hopefully long franchise, he was menacing, fierce, but had reason behind his cruel and violent actions. The performances in this film were brilliant. Henry Cavill is the best Superman but on the screen so far, yes I said it, Christopher Reeve was a fun Superman, may he rest in peace, but this Superman is a character you want to root for, to save the world at the end of the movie. Henry Cavill really gave Kal-El depth and emotion, and I hope he stays on as Superman for a long time to come. Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Kal-El's biological father, was a very some very good casting, a big improvement from Marlon Brando. Amy Adams was a good Lois Lane, although I believe they should have saved the Lois and Clark relationship for the sequel, it felt quite rushed in this film, but what women wouldn't fall in love with a flying man who just saved the world. Michael Shannon is a very good General Zod, he is menacing enough for the audience to fear him, but gives the character depth and reason behind his actions, and at some times even makes us sympathize with Zod. Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent gave some great emotional scenes and gave some great lessons to Clark about who he is going to grow up to be. The CGI was fantastic in the movie and the excessive use of it did not take me away from the movie at all. All round I do believe this Superman is the best we've ever had, the performances are great, the score is miraculous, Zack Snyder's direction for this is pleasing and the pacing of the movie is great! You can definitely see Christopher Nolan in parts of this film. David S Goyer's script is fantastic with little hidden gems like Lois' line 'Welcome to the planet' which had me smiling like an idiot. And keep a watchful eye DC fans, for those subtle easter eggs to other villains and characters in the DC universe. Ii am very pleased with Zack Snyder's take on Superman, and I hope he stays on as director for future movies. I only had a few issues with Man of Steel, and believe me they are few. For one, a line that a women soldier says at the end of the film 'I don't know, I just think he's kind of hot'. Seriously, what is that?! There is one scene that should have been changed to a more emotional and character building scene rather than just Superman fighting mechanical tentacles. And the relationship between Lois and Clark should have been saved for the sequel, because as I said before it felt rushed. Overall I think Man of Steel is one fantastic movie, the best of the summer so far, and the best of the year. I'm giving Man of Steel a 4.5/5. Expand
  64. Jul 5, 2013
    Few people failed to appreciate that this is, by far, the best Superman movie. They can always be dissatisfied if they choose to instead of just enjoying and appreciating a film from its positive outlook versus the opposite. Opinions are drawn from either spectrum just like how one views a glass filled with water. I'm one of those who sees things half-filled instead of half-empty. ThisFew people failed to appreciate that this is, by far, the best Superman movie. They can always be dissatisfied if they choose to instead of just enjoying and appreciating a film from its positive outlook versus the opposite. Opinions are drawn from either spectrum just like how one views a glass filled with water. I'm one of those who sees things half-filled instead of half-empty. This review will attempt to point out the commonest complaints from dissatisfied critics & disappointed moviegoers. Hope this would help:
    1.) The most common complaint was the "disaster porn", the total annihilation of the fictional city, Metropolis. We assume that with total destruction, there also were countless lives sacrificed, right? Not exactly. During Supe & Zod's battle, one will noticed that the city wasn't filled with everyday working people & that is because majority stayed home heeding government's warning due to the earnestness of the matter (about this newly revealed threat to mankind) ergo it's fair to conclude that the number of casualties was under control & not in direct ratio to the amount of property damage. Daily Planet's employees need to be there to cover the news.
    2.) The Flashbacks. Understandably, some people don't like this editing approach. They find it tedious & annoying. But for many of us, they didn't really bother that much. It was a good thing, being artfully done, that Zack Snyder & team made the conscious effort to veer away from Donner's SUPERMAN films. For a second there, we cringed in our seats from the expectation that we were gonna be treated with a John Williams-like fanfare of an introduction complete with title credits as baby Kal-El's spaceship hurtles down to earth. It was actually a refreshing change.
    3.) Flat, Bland & Humorless---There's no chemistry between Henry Cavill & Amy Adams. Critics doesn't have to look away from that seemingly "unromantic" kiss. Any damsel in distress who has fallen, not once but twice, from the sky (not building) & got saved by the same flying "knight in shining armor" would definitely fall for her hero & give him that deserving kiss. Lois wanted to the first time it happened but Superman, in urgency to get to his mother, left before she could. Now ladies, wouldn't you do the same thing & let opportunity pass the second time around? The result of the litmus paper test for the chemistry between Cavill's Clark & Adams's Lois could not be fairly assessed in this first installment but in the next one since their romance was not the emphasis of the storytellers here. The central subject was Clark's search for his real identity hence leading the filmmakers drawing a theme of seriousness by deliberately keeping the whole atmosphere seemingly under-wraps dark & humor-in-check mysterious to make certain this come across believable especially that it involves the enigmatic question, "Are we alone in the universe?" Adam's Lois Lane character as the investigative reporter becomes the viewers' cursor as we keep track with her how Cavill's turn as Clark Kent become the Man of Steel. Not following Donner's ta-da treatment, this sensible approach in introducing our hero was timely brilliant & worked well for Snyder.
    4.) Lame--Jonathan Kent's "Maybe" answer to Clark's argumentative query & why he can't show his power & save lives like he used to in the old comic books. This is Superman 2013 & it's about time to upgrade him to this era. If his costume gets an update, why not his origin story as well. right? A little modification won't do no harm as long as it's grounded on logic & not stray too far away from the lore. Jonathan Kent's throw-caution-to-the-wind answer was just parental banter. Smart audiences understood it very well. Though not verbally expressed, Kevin Costner's Pa Kent character would really rather have those kids saved than left to die. The situation has become uncontrollable signalling that it was high time for them to reveal who Clark really was--for him to receive a lesson on subtleties & the importance of staying under the radar. If one is blessed with superpowers, should one flaunt or hide them? To quote another superhero movie line, "With great power comes great responsibility", it is from this cautionary premise that Clark's adopted parents were torn for their juvenile. They knew for the fact that the present government will not hesitate to take this child away from them and for the fear that, in captivity, he would be treated less than being human.
    5.) Why Lois? This referring to why Zod wanted her along with Supe's surrender. Remember that Lois Lane was rattled off by that fellow media person on TV--that she had knowledge of Kal-El. General Zod, being an advantage-driven military strategist, wanted to know to what extent that knowledge was by probing her mind. It's actually an interesting twist thoughtfully included & not just for the plot. It addresses & brings to mind "alien abduction phenomenon" & the things aliens do to their human subjects.
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a DragonBall Z Movie become a Real Movie! Deep and meaningful story, it explained why the Superman need to suit up, why the Kryptonite stone will weaken the man of steel. And the last part of the movie is SUPER ACTION PACKED! Just like DBZ come alive! punching through giant building, destruction and lightning speed fighting! One of the best action scene in recent years!
  66. Jun 16, 2013
    went out with the Mrs to see the latest from Mr Snyder and Mr Nolan and have to say WOW!! as reboots are concerned,well done.the origin of baby Kal-El is fleshed out much more then in past iterations of the story.Superman's father Jo-El is given far more weight story wise.its the Fathers(plural)that do play a bigger role in the formation of Kal's character which i found on of allwent out with the Mrs to see the latest from Mr Snyder and Mr Nolan and have to say WOW!! as reboots are concerned,well done.the origin of baby Kal-El is fleshed out much more then in past iterations of the story.Superman's father Jo-El is given far more weight story wise.its the Fathers(plural)that do play a bigger role in the formation of Kal's character which i found on of all times,fathers day weekend,rather refreshing.when we do get to see Mr Cavill in blue spandex and cape,the journey he has taken to get to that point,fulfilling his destined role feels far more substantial because of the Jor-el/Kent dynamic.this of course was lost entirely by some of the big mainstream critics,who seemed to focus more on the massive collateral damage of the super fist fights Superman engages in later on in the film.i chalk this up to the jaded sensibilities of people whose world view is steeped in the 1978 film with Christopher Reeve.i find their revulsion at the level of violence and scale of the action rather quaint.this is what i would expect a SUPER-HERO movie to have in it,characters with incredible power at their disposal engaging in urban renewal on a massive scale.for those whom probably have never picked up and read any of the comics back in the day i can understand their trepidation.i just think its silly.i greatly enjoyed the movie for both the story and the spectacle.there are some gaffs performance wise by some of the players in certain spots,but nothing so jarring as to pull you out of the experience.ultimately its what a summer movie has come to be.big,grand,EPIC! and well worth a trip to you're local theater. Expand
  67. Jun 19, 2013
    "Man Of Steel" was totally entertaining and enjoyable for a fantasy sci-fi action film and as such I give it a 9 of 10. I like the fresh and different approach to this franchise and hope they continue to expand the upcoming sequels with the same freshness. I am thinking Henry Cavill has just become a superstar personality and rightly so for he does a fine job as the man of steel. Worth a look.
  68. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel Was worth the wait, time, and money I dropped to see it. While Nolan and company may have fell a little short in character development and cheesy lines; Lois Lane having to tell Perry she is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, the story telling and cinematic fair far outweigh what is missing. It also looks like some of the character development may be left to the sequelsMan of Steel Was worth the wait, time, and money I dropped to see it. While Nolan and company may have fell a little short in character development and cheesy lines; Lois Lane having to tell Perry she is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, the story telling and cinematic fair far outweigh what is missing. It also looks like some of the character development may be left to the sequels which brings me to my next point. As I was watching the world of Krypton unfold before my eyes and listening the cool history of it narrated to me by Jor-el, all I could think as Kal-el zoomed towards earth was, "I want more of that!" The entire world and history of Krypton the way it was depicted could easily have been its own movie a la Prometheus y Avatar. The only way the story and characters develop into critic approving fair is if this film is broken into at least two or three separate films to build the relationship between audience and characters. Obviously, that is something critics of Snyder have had for some time. The more I write this review the more upset I get at the missed opportunities of this piece. I can visualize a Man of Steel series not unlike Joss Whedon's Firefly series with the awesome Serenity film finale. Keep the actors, tone, mood everything, just replace the guy behind the camera and the film editors...can you people see it? Ugh...Speaking of Whedon, if there was a silver lining in the film, it was Snyder's use of camera work in many of the film sequences that were definitely influenced by Whedon. I was a late comer to Firefly and I caught it last summer on Netflix. Remember the scene where Serenity is being chased by the Reavers and Wash has to pull some fancy maneuvering to escape? That camera work was so cool, I must have hit the rewind button a dozen times to keep watching that sequence because I had never seen action shots filmed in a way that I could actually SEE the action and experience it as if I was flying with the ship itself. Since then, I see that technique used more and more frequently and it never fails to amaze me. It is so much easier to enjoy and SEE the film instead of seeing a jumble of flashes and letting the synapses of my brain translate what my rods and cones are interpreting. I may have taken the scenic route to explain this, but Snyder's use of these shots was so much more clear as opposed to watching a Michael Bay film that is all flash and chaos. OK. So Man of Steel, though at times a little thin in character development and story telling, is definitely worth the time and money. I can't wait to see any sequels alone or with the Justice League. Expand
  69. I23
    Jun 14, 2013
    THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!! I seen this movie at the midnight showing with a few friends and we all loved it! All I can say is don't listen to the critics, watch the movie for yourself and make your own decision. The action in this movie is unparalleled, this is a superman we have never seen on film before and he kicks some serious ass!
  70. Jun 14, 2013
    Its a great movie. It finally gives a Superman we can say its super. The movie is definitely DC version of Avengers. It has alien battles that really are amazing. The origin story is great for Superman in the movie. I loved Lois Lane, Superman, Jor-el, Jonathan Kent, Zod and Faora in the movie. I can't wait to see what Sequel will look like. Hope Brainaic, Metallo, Parasite,Its a great movie. It finally gives a Superman we can say its super. The movie is definitely DC version of Avengers. It has alien battles that really are amazing. The origin story is great for Superman in the movie. I loved Lois Lane, Superman, Jor-el, Jonathan Kent, Zod and Faora in the movie. I can't wait to see what Sequel will look like. Hope Brainaic, Metallo, Parasite, Doomsday and Darkseid will make presence in sequels and Justice League. Expand
  71. Jun 14, 2013
    This Superman will define this generation. When watching this movie, keep a blank slate. This is not the Superman from three decades ago, the Lois and Clark Superman, or the Smallville Superman, nor should it be. More often than not, critics tend to hang on to their favorite iteration of Superman which causes bias opinions. It's an unfair bias to think of watching this film and expectingThis Superman will define this generation. When watching this movie, keep a blank slate. This is not the Superman from three decades ago, the Lois and Clark Superman, or the Smallville Superman, nor should it be. More often than not, critics tend to hang on to their favorite iteration of Superman which causes bias opinions. It's an unfair bias to think of watching this film and expecting to see the goofy bumbling uncoordinated Clark Kent, if so, you'll be disappointed. I had read a review from a critic stating that not once did Superman smile. But, was it necessary for him to do so, knowing that people's lives were at stake and an alien invasion was imminent? For the record, Superman and his alter ego, Clark Kent do crack smile. It is easy for the Superman from the first Donner film to smile. How can he not, when all he needed to do to avert a major disaster was to fly at light speed to reverse the Earth's axis to revert everything back to normal? Spoiler here, this does not occur in Man of Steel and I am glad for that!

I was convinced of each actors/actresses role of the characters they portrayed. I was convinced of the character's depth. I bought into the idea that human parents had instilled strong morals and values to an alien that can crush mountains and teach him life is precious. I bought into the idea on Clark's journey to discover his place in the world, as most everyone should be able to relate to this. I understood Zod's motive. I understood, as a leader, why he sought to change the status quo early in the movie. I understood his action was for the betterment of his people.

I like the science fiction aspect of the movie. It makes sense to me to tell a story of Superman's birth parents and where they had come from. The science fiction, and the technology incorporated in the story was very well done. I was very happy to see this was explored in the movie. This is the Krypton I had envisioned, an advance society that controlled the population. A theme that resonates from John Byrne's Krypton but differ on how the population was controlled.

This film's action scenes are fast paced. Synder has a reputation of using the slowed down camera scenes, like his other film 300, this film is the opposite. I imagine this is how it would be to view super beings as powerful as Kryptonians engage in battle with one other. The fighting scenes were superb and were welcomed by me after an action less film in Superman Returns.

If not for the few subplots on the story that did not seem to flow very well with me, I most likely would have given this film a near perfect score but the subplots were minor. All in all, you should watch this film, maybe more than just once.
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    Long story short, Man of Steel was a fantastic film with a lead that could hold his own on screen, brilliant supporting cast, amazing score, intense fight scenes and a story to hold everything together. Seeing as how The Dark Knight made itself more than just a comic book movie by making itself almost drama is the easiest way to put it when Man of Steel made itself just as believable butLong story short, Man of Steel was a fantastic film with a lead that could hold his own on screen, brilliant supporting cast, amazing score, intense fight scenes and a story to hold everything together. Seeing as how The Dark Knight made itself more than just a comic book movie by making itself almost drama is the easiest way to put it when Man of Steel made itself just as believable but with science fiction and drama. This "first contact" type of story being told will make it extremely easier to introduce the DC universe so time will tell. Needless to say movie tickets are freakishly expensive and god forbid you're watching a 3D version but i without a doubt would pay to see this again. Expand
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    Great movie This show to us The human side of Superman Great visual efects, great score, plenty of action! I saw it in imax and it was amazing!! Dont bother to see it in 3D not worth your extra bucks
  74. Jun 14, 2013
    Great Movie, Excited to see where they go with the sequels. I just wish they would have made Superman more vocal and emotionally connected with the audience in order for everyone to embrace him and cheer for him more in his moment of triumph. Good Job!
  75. Jun 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed the movie, it was flawed but still super. I didn't like Sucker Punch and was concerned, but I'm pretty happy with this effort. The SF quotient is upped, yes, but for me this is a positive. Huge action scenes, likewise, they need to be super. I hope they give Cavill more (good) dialogue in the sequel, though.
  76. Jun 14, 2013
    Epic Movie...just epic frame by frame...this movie takes us back to the days wer our elders enjoyed the flash n others..n the biggest action spectacular...thanks to zack and Weta digital....so we got ourselves our superman back.......its finally time believe a man can fly....
  77. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is a spectacular film with a villain and an incredible cast, a great story, great effects and this film makes you say'' This is the best film of 2013''.
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    A+++ movie. Please don't believe the critics, please see this for yourself. This is an amazing movie and you deserve to make your own mind up about it. I will say this for certain, though: Henry Cavil makes a phenomeonal Superman, and if any thing was lacking, it was that Michael Shannon's performance was just a little lackluster.
  79. Jun 14, 2013
    I was three years old when I saw Superman for the first time. I was so captivated that I jumped off the sofa in an ambitious attempt to fly. Of course, I crashed...hard into the side of the coffee table. Four stitches and twenty-nine years later, I remain fascinated by the alien from Krypton.

We all know the story of Kal-El. It is one of the most familiar stories in the world. The myth of Superman appears to be trans-cultural and nearly timeless. For some people, that is one of it's greatest strengths. Yet for others, it was it's own kryptonite. It appears that Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan have found a way to make Kal-El invincible once again.

Unlike the Donner adaptation, quite a bit of the Krypton background story was infused in "Man of Steel." Jor El, Lara, and Zod became more believable. Their struggles were identical to our own. Like us, they struggled with prejudice, racism and hatred. They cling to hope, love, and the desire to survive and thrive. And like us, they are blinded by their ignorance and arrogance. In a sense, they are what could happen to us if we ever lose our grasp on our humanity.

Yet hope is preserved from within the infant, Kal-El. Kal-El crosses solar systems so that he can be raised by the "salt of the earth" Kents. They ingrained a sense of destiny that is deep-rooted. When hope meets destiny and is empowered by Clark's humanity; mankind is there to reap the rewards.

Mankind has found it's protector and advocate, but not without grave cost. Zod's Kryptonian pride is as strong as Clark's desire to protect the earth. A battle of epic proportions takes place. Thousands of lives are lost in an action-packed struggle yet a predictable victor prevails. But not in a fashion that is traditional for the Superman saga. The conclusion will provide for great debate for many. I will say this, I think the conclusion helps form the character of Superman and deeply effects the moral fiber of Clark Kent.

One of the main criticisms is that there is a lack of character development. I agree to a certain extent. More could be done to flesh out the characters. I would have liked to see more chemistry between Clark and Lois, yet that may come in the sequels. I would have also liked to see the charming and witty Superman that Christopher Reeve perfectly captured. Even Christian Bale was able to give Batman some humor within the gloomy Dark Knight movies.

Even though there could have been more character development, "Steel" had plenty of heart-wrenching scenes. You can feel the sadness in Lara-El as she watched her son depart the doomed Krypton. It was gut-wrenching watching Clark witness the death of his earthly father and it was exhilarating watching Clark discover the scope of his powers. To say that there was little character development is not a true statement.

Another criticism was that there was too much violence and action. I strongly disagree with this assessment. Zod was a military leader of Krypton. He only knows one language: violence. So of course there was a ton of violence. Please remember context is important when reading uninformed movie criticisms.

Was "Man of Steel" perfect? Absolutely not. It has it's fair share of logical flaws (why is Superman smooching with Lois Lane after thousands of lives were lost?), lacks some character development, and could use a touch of humor. However, "Man of Steel" has made us believe that hope can persevere, we have control over our own destiny, and that something connects all of us; no matter how lost we feel within our own world.

I give "Man of Steel" an 8/10 stars. I recommend this movie to those with wild and vivid imaginations.
  80. Jun 14, 2013
    I went into this movie with very high expectations, and while all of them were not met. The vast majority were. There were some scenes that could have used a little more length and attention I think it can be overlooked for what this movie did give us that previous movies have not, an actual display of Superman's powers in a variety of different situations. I felt the character was moreI went into this movie with very high expectations, and while all of them were not met. The vast majority were. There were some scenes that could have used a little more length and attention I think it can be overlooked for what this movie did give us that previous movies have not, an actual display of Superman's powers in a variety of different situations. I felt the character was more of a real person than in previous incarnations, and for once I felt like I was looking at the Superman I have read in the comics for the last 30 or so years. Excellent film, looses 1 point for the reasons above. Beyond that I can't wait for the sequel now!!!!! Expand
  81. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is one of the most awesome spectacles in recent years. Words cannot express how truly impressed and riveted I was in the theater. All my expectations were blown away. Each and every character was solid, realistic and well developed.
    Some critics have gone on record to say the MOS has no heart, is too loud, is an incoherent mess, or is without any shred of a plot. They did not go to Man of Steel to see a Superman movie. That went to rite a scathing review, because they can. Critics are critical because it gets them noticed. There is always someone who wants to tear things down. And who has farther to fall than Superman?
    That said, Man of Steel is an over-the-top, full blown, this is what a hero really is thrill-ride. Man of Steel flies high, and critic know jack nothing.
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    full of heart, Fun, fast pace, and over the top action. In a few words but i am not allow to be that short. It's not your Grand dad's Superman but he is still the good guy you want to root for in the end.
  83. Jun 14, 2013
    o melhor filme de herois de todos os tempos, na visão de fã de hqs e filmes de herois.
    o zack realmente fez uma obra prima, e conseguiu levar o superman para o seculo 21.
    com otimas cenas de ação e uma boa historia do david goyer, completa esse epico que vai ficar marcado por muitas gerações
  84. Jun 14, 2013
    The best comic book movie since 2008's TDK. Cavill is Superman and the rest of the cast played their parts perfect. Good story and the action came at the right time.
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    This Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. TheThis Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The pace wasn't a problem for me as I didn't expect Superman to be Superman yet, which is why they don't say that word alot in the film. Its not Lois and Clark with a bigger budget so don't expect a love story, expect a super powered being with real problems and a kick ass last 45 minutes and I promise you'll love it just as much as I did. Expand
  86. Jun 14, 2013
    Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's hybrid baby is a beautiful film that will take you on a dark, emotional and gravitating first 100 minutes as the origin story of Superman is articulated. Although the last 45 minutes is a bit Transformers-esque with massive destruction accompanied by little emotional loss in any of the main characters, Man of Steel is the beginning of a series thatZack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's hybrid baby is a beautiful film that will take you on a dark, emotional and gravitating first 100 minutes as the origin story of Superman is articulated. Although the last 45 minutes is a bit Transformers-esque with massive destruction accompanied by little emotional loss in any of the main characters, Man of Steel is the beginning of a series that should go up, up and away. Expand
  87. Jun 14, 2013
    Okay "Man Of Steel"
    As a Superman fan I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Are there problems with it? Yes, but there are many positives.
    Problems: Choppy editing for the first half (not too big deal, unless you're a stickler about it) the story/writing (though good) was not "great" (at least not Dark knight great), but it is passable. The Characters felt slightly held back( partly in due to
    Okay "Man Of Steel"
    The Characters felt slightly held back( partly in due to the writing), but they made the best of what they had to work with.
    You don't need to see it in 3D(unless you like the tech, me not so much), but definitely see it in theaters, and on the biggest screen you can.(love it in Imax minus the 3D)
    Positives:
    The ACTION!!! that is how a Superman movie is supposed to be (looking at you Superman Returns).(think avengers action times 10 to the power of a lot)
    Henry Cavill has a great mix of both look and presence as Superman (with a better director and better writing he has the potential to be on par or better than previous incarnations.)
    The Music. I am never disappointing by Hans Zimmer. It's Gold.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: This movies has the potential to have a "Dark knight" level of a sequel if not better. (the ground work is there, and it is exciting to think about what will come next... I'm hoping for a very strong morality piece for a sequel.
    Overall I give Man of Steel an 8 out of 10. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and will most likely see it again in theaters, but I will say that if they do a sequel, they need to push for a better director and writer; or have the current guys step up their game big time.
  88. Jun 14, 2013
    Excerpt from the blog: http://tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca/
    Its convoluted plot prevents it from reaching the same heights as some recent superhero movie classics, like X-Men: First Class (2011) and The Dark Knight (2008); however, Man of Steel is still an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable movie that was both thought-provoking and exhilarating.
  89. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is a great movie, except for a few flaws that come to light when you closely look at its narrative structure. The cast was, simply put, amazing. Henry Cavil looks the part and acts like the sort of humble, polite, qualities that come with Superman. Amy Adam's Lois Lane is for the first time important to the story, she is given things to do and she does them well. No longer is she a "damsel in distress" but rather, an important part of Kal-El's journey to accepting his identity as Superman. The two fathers Russel Crowe as Jor-El and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent are convincing and truly want the best for their son. Kevin Costner, in particular, moved me to tears. The only member of the main cast who I felt was slightly weak and out-shadowed by the others was Michael Shannon as General Zod. Sure, he was menacing, powerful, and a physical threat to Superman, but he was not on the level of great comic book villains in film such as Loki, Joker, or even Ra's Al Ghul to name a few. I would liken General Zod to Bane the actors did a good job but both characters were given too little to do. Although Michael Shannon tried to convince the audience of his point of view, Antje Traue's Faora ultimately overshadows him as being a threat, deadpan delivery and utter ruthlessness makes her much more than a pawn. The special effects are amazing. Zack Snyder just knows how to make epic and whether you take to his style or not is personal preference. Speaking of the director, Nolan's touches are obviously in this film. The noir color palette, the story, and the dialogue is very much Nolan but infused with Snyder's style as well. A couple of lines made me cringe, such as the army officer saying that Superman is "hot" and the controversial ending where (SPOILER) Superman kills Zod. Lines like those prevented me from fully immersing myself into the film. David Goyer's story is very much a comic book story, with twists and turns, exploring the psyche of Superman. However, I doubt if he should have attempted to stuff so many themes in a 130 minute(?) running time. In the end, not one theme resonated with me and the actor/actress's performances stuck with me. Overall, Man of Steel is the best film since the original Superman visually impressive, strong performances, and some action (ahem Superman Returns) makes this easily the summer blockbuster of the year. Expand
  90. Jun 14, 2013
    Movie was great, I completely underestimated how good Cavill would be as superman, and Amy Adams was perfect as Lois.. Action scenes were great, maybe a little lengthy, but if you enjoyed any of the batman movies, this is for you
  91. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the movie is going for a certain tone and styles and since it sticks to its guns from start to finish, certainly people are going to be split from totally loving or hating this iteration.
    For me, the movie simply delivers far exceeding my expectation, which is quite high already with all the hypes and press.
    Current movie audiences simply needed a new Superman movie at this
    Current movie audiences simply needed a new Superman movie at this time but this different new take on the iconic superhero just isn't the same as the previous movies in the franchise.
    This highlights the problem whether or not people would praised the risks taken or cursed them for it, and judging by people's reactions and my own, it definitely leaning towards the former.
    Every movie will have its own faults and detractors, but I have a highly positive 3D viewing experience of this movie from start to finish and I scored it based on how much I enjoy this movie as a whole.
  92. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel brought the grandpa of superheroes back in style with a modern, accessible and action packed sci-fi drama that has not only opened the gateway for a whole new type of superhero flick, but also kept a firm handle on a challenging and outdated mythos that many directors/writers would have turned away from. Kudos to Zack Snyder, David Goyer & Christopher Nolan!
  93. Jun 14, 2013
    If there's any movie that shows just how out of touch movie critics are with movie fans, this is it. Zack Snyder had a tough job pulling this one off and I'm not exactly a fan of his, but this was a grand slam home run if there's ever been one. This is a must see.
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    Need to work on character on development but for me this movie was what i wanted for a superman movie, not perfect but epic..best action sequence ive seen only word.. Epic,
    Best superman, movie of the year for me
  95. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel, where do I start. How about the beginning? The movie starts with great science fiction. A mother is at a loss as she gives up her son, and then concedes her life as the world dies. Much more dramatic than what I'm typing.

Clark, Mr Anon, is traveling America and trying to help where he can. He does when an oil rig decides to go all fire and explosives, and only Clark can help save the people trapped. He helps, it's awesome.

Lois and Clark meet, and it's well done. Many small nods to 75 years of canon. I was extremely impressed by the knowledge of the writers. Seriously. This is the story we've been waiting for since I became able to read comics. This movie tells the real story, and isn't a fluff piece that warms the heart, but instead shows that great power can be followed by a good person. Superman could have been a jerk, he has complete free will, but he doesn't...I could explain more on that, as he does show a glimpse of his arrogance when talking to his father before the tornado storm....

Superman's fights were epic. These were for us fans. Seriously. You don't put those out there for the critics, you put those out there for the fans. The critics will think its too much unnecessary violence, because the critics don't really understand Zod's one mindedness and desire to crush the last El.

Ah well, I'm tired, but loved the movie. I plan on seeing it again.
  96. Jun 15, 2013
    The aggregate score does not do this piece justice. It's definitely the Superman film fans have wanted for a long time, however as a film it has it's fair share of flaws and some (not all) critics have a point. For the most part what I see hurting the film's ratings with critics is a backslash of nostalgia for Donner's lighthearted, campy approach. These critics are dead wrong for tryingThe aggregate score does not do this piece justice. It's definitely the Superman film fans have wanted for a long time, however as a film it has it's fair share of flaws and some (not all) critics have a point. For the most part what I see hurting the film's ratings with critics is a backslash of nostalgia for Donner's lighthearted, campy approach. These critics are dead wrong for trying to measure up this rendition to something from 35 years ago. Instead of judging the film solely on it's merits they're disappointed that the titular character didn't live up to some personal idyllic version that they themselves have created.

This is very much a story about self discovery. Kal-El didn't hop out of his space craft and immediately become the Superman general audiences know and love. Expecting him to do that is completely unfair. Instead this movie opts to tell the story of how Clark Kent the man evolves into the role of Superman through a human, almost humble perspective. This is where it succeeds.

That out of the way some of the legitimate concerns were lack of development for supporting characters. Why would I care about these characters living or dying if I don't know who they are aside from a few glimpses into their personalities? I see some people complaining about how it was edited and told through a flashback format, but isn't that structure exactly what Batman Begins was praised for? In my humble opinion It can be excused because this is as much an origin story as it is a character piece.

Another valid concern is the overabundance of destruction that Zack Snyder throws at the audience. It desensitizes the viewer to the point that it loses it's impact by the time it's supposed to matter. Snyder could have shown a little more restraint. I feel like he was overcompensating for Superman Returns' lackluster (in)action sequences. I will say that Snyder did an excellent job visually when it came to conveying the alien nature of Krypton and it's biotechnological culture. It was definitely the highlight and shifted this away from the stereotypical comic book movie and into science-fantasy territory. Man of Steel is worth a second watch due to the Kryptonian prologue alone.

All in all it's a very good movie, but not great. More than enough of a solid foundation for Warner Brothers to launch their DC universe. I give it a 7.5/10, recommend that anyone who's anyone watch it, twice.
  97. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS: There will be some in this review. From the moment the movie started it had my attention and I was never bored. I thought the acting was well done, with Amy Adams being the only weak link. I never bought into her as Lois Lane, and I was bothered by how easily she backtracked through Clark's history to find out who he was.

Obviously the action is what you expect out of a Superman movie. Zack Snyder does a fine job with that in this movie, although sometimes it's a bit over the top. You could tell all throughout the movie that Superman did have emotional ties to the people, and I could see so much emotion in him. But then other times you wonder what he's thinking as he fights Zod in Metropolis and destroys so much of the city killing an untold number of people off screen. That didn't sit really well with me, but I also realize to a certain extent this was a "war" very similar to what happened in the Avengers. Who knows how many people were killed in that, and I think that's become acceptable for this type of film, as long as it's not directly on camera.

I thought Michael Shannon shined as Zod. People complaining about his performance in comparing him only to Terrence Stamp are just being naive. Same as the people trying to compare Cavill to Reeve. I'm sorry, but this isn't 1978, and if you read the comics you realize that the Superman currently in the comics does mimic what we got on the screen.

The rest of the cast shined, although I kind of felt like we got a little bit too little of the Daily Planet staff. I think that'll be fixed going forward.

All in all, I thought this was a good start to a Superman series, and I enjoyed the movie, even if it did seem a little over the top. But I don't know what else to expect when you go see a movie about an Alien with Super powers. As for those who are reviewing this as a zero and then taking pot shots at other reviewers, maybe you should reflect on yourself and your poor grammar before you attack others.
  98. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so Im sorry but, critics are only as good as their taste! Man of Steel is the greatest comic book movie of ALL time! It is everything a superhero movie should be! Critics say its too serious and blah blah blah but did these people ever read a comicbook? Superman is a lost soul, an alien from another planet who never chose these powers, but is forced into deciding how to use them. That is more than just a dilemna. It is a choice that if it were true, humanity would have no choice but to conform to. Man of steel brings that question to us in a real world setting, where Kal-el has to make choices none of us would want to. This is a truly heartbreaking movie with incredible soul that the critics seem to miss in their reviews. He is an alien who is trying to figure out who he is and why he is here! He isnt a human with all our flaws, he is flawless and doesnt know why? Who wouldnt be quiet and seek solitude in that same instance. The actions sequences are very heavy, but please remember it is a superhero movie and really what would happen if aliens came here to take over and one of them decided, that wasnt going to happen! Heck we as humans have destroyed countries in seconds, imagine what super aliens could do! Henry Cavill is amazing, you feel his strength and his weakness(not kryptonite) his weakness as has always been his love for this planet and the humans who have adopted him. Critics aside Man of Steel is a great reboot to the franchise and as was Batman Begins it will be remembered for years to come. Go see it true fans will love it!!! Expand
  99. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a very enjoyable film IMO. It wasn't perfect, but it's a fun ride. I love the overall themes, fight scenes, and all the acting. I was cool with some of the core changes they made that might make some hardcore fans mad as well. The pacing of the first half felt rushed and disjointed, and I wish they did it more linear so we could get more of Kevin Costner with young ClarkMan of Steel was a very enjoyable film IMO. It wasn't perfect, but it's a fun ride. I love the overall themes, fight scenes, and all the acting. I was cool with some of the core changes they made that might make some hardcore fans mad as well. The pacing of the first half felt rushed and disjointed, and I wish they did it more linear so we could get more of Kevin Costner with young Clark and get more invested in the character rather than flashbacks moments interspersed throughout. I enjoyed the fight scenes immensely (though I get the complaints about them) and thought the last 45 mins of the film were stellar. I especially enjoyed how much this movie incorporates not only the super hero saving humanity but humanity (especially Lois) helping save him as well as Superman empowering them to save themselves. Superman is the ultimate immigrant who comes to make his new world a better while also realizing he cherishes, needs, and dependent on his new home as well. I think they did a decent job exploring this theme. Overall, it's a good modern take on Superman that gets me excited to see Superman in all his glory for the sequel now that the origin story is out of the way. Also, I loved the subtle moments between Lois and Clark in the film. More in the sequel please. I give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. Not as high as I wanted to be but nowhere near the asinine rubbish most movie critics make it out to be. Don't listen to their bloviating. It's miles ahead of Returns and a good step in the right direction. Expand
  100. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Sorry for bad English. If i have bad English or you cannot understand some of them)

Man of Steel is a movie that i have been waiting since it was announced. I always loved the old Donner classics (the first 2 atleast) and this movie delivers of what is to be the best Superman movie yet. I am quite disappointed by all the negative reviews. I mean critics complain about too much action, too serious, too long of a story before it gets to all the 'I must be Superman' part of the story. One of the things I love about this movie is that how young Clark has troubles fitting into society with all of his powers. After all he is an alien, this is one of the key elements of the movie. Its about how Superman can fit in the modern world. How people will react to him if they found out he was superhuman. Of course, people are saying that they explore this too much. About how from child to adulthood he is still suffering or pretty much him searching on how to be human. Well let me tell you something, this is life it has some difficult stages and specially if you are a alien from another planet. This film really captures that image. It captures how a man will fell like if they could fly. Superman wouldn't be just "Hey, I know how to fly from the first time I lift off" Realisticly he would be "OHHH YEAH I'M FLYING *CRASHES*" This must be non-related but that scene in which Clark was in the church was just emotional, i dont know why. I mean this movie didnt just make Krypton this super sci-fi planet. They actually gave it a culture, animals, and traditional suits.

Well the main plot of the movie asides the Superman getting to set to Earth is that Kal-El (Superman) is different from other Kryptonians. He is a natural ospring. According to Krypton tradition(In the movie), each child is breed for a specific occupation. A baby can be meant to be born to be a warrior, a worker, or a enginner. But Kal-El differs from the rest, because as soon as he was born he was sent to Earth and thats why Zod is out to find him. Henry Cavil did amazing as Superman, Amy Adams bring a more realistic Lois Lane which isn't just a damsel in distress but a strong character and ultimately daring. Micheal Shannon brought a faithful character. Russel Crow did great as Jor-El

The other thing that is big, huge element is that this movie starts the DC Cinematic Universe. There was alot of easter eggs in the movie. From the satellite with the Wayne Enterprises logo to the mentioning of S.T.A.R labs, this movie just makes comic book fans shat with excitement. This is the first movie that will eventually lead to the Justice League movie. Rumors are unclear if they are going to directly make a Justice League movie with no team up or standalone movies first like Wonder Woman, Flash, or a Superman/Batman movie.

Soundtrack All I can say is WOW! Han Zimmer really delivered a amazing soundtrack into the movie. The intro of the movie just gave me goosebumps from the trumpets to the pianos.

Effects There is alot of action and effects in this movie. Hey, Superman was meant to be an violent person. His first comic book was called "Action Comics" for good sakes. So all the critics saying Superman is too violent go off. There were alot of destruction and explosions in this movie. The CGI in this film is not the greatest but extremely realistic. From the building exploding, to Superman launching into the air.

Anyway in a nutshell It explains the real-life problems of Superman, alot of action, more Dark Knight less Green Lantern and is the best summer blockbuster movie you can go see.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.