7.6

1. Jun 16, 2013
    This film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film was more "realistic" approach to Superman's origin. It covered the short demise of Krypton, and was just enough screen time to understand why it happened, and for Superman's transit to Earth via Krypton.

To make a great story short, this movie is loaded with tons of action, great acting, and great replay value. You won't be disappointed.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    A nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And the effects are out of this world, I walked out of the theater like I just came off a roller coaster, with this feeling of excitement in my chest. I think that's the best way to describe this movie. A really amazing roller coaster. The emotional scenes were also tastefully done and I had all the feels for Clark through out the movie. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    Batman focused on being based in reality, The Spiderman reboot focused on science, Man of Steel focuses on Aliens as its tool to make the world believable. Great action, great acting, and goyers story is phenomenal as usual. That being said, there are some problems, mainly the non stop advertisements during one of the action sequences bothered me allot. The pacing is a little odd but seems like I may get used to it on a second watch. Last thing is I wish I laughed more then twice during the movie, if the movie has any fault it's in its non stop seriousness. But if you don't expect this to be an iron man 3 and more like the nolan batman universe your in for a treat. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    It's a Zack Snyder film, but it felt more than that. It was a great visual spectacle, but cavill could have shown a little more emotion, but Shannon as zod was enough for me, people wanted a more serious superman and this is as serious as anything else, it didn't feel like a Nolan dark knight film. It was Snyder's and it was great.
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the new movie because it started again and has finally a new enemy and kept the Lex Luther has a new plot of new players and I think Henry Kabila better at playing the Superman Brandon Roth Expand
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    I was so relieved. Its good. Its really good. Critics and Audiences with a longing for the Christopher Reeve era may not find it as appealing. But Snyder has made a Superman for the new century. Henry Cavill as Superman is fantastic. He has made the role his own for at least a few more Superman movies. I would like to see Clark Kent explored a bit more. But the twists and changes made by Zack Snyder and the awesome action pieces manage to make the movie work brilliantly. There is a balance, between Goyer's Screenplay and the emotional and wonderful acting of Russel Crow; the menacing Zod, & Snyder's action and attention to detail. It was just short of perfect, but maybe that is our expectations getting in the way. In any case, this sets the stage for Man of Steel 2, which I feel will surpass even my high expectations. Ultimately, at the end of this movie, there is a feeling of relief and a big thank you to everyone involved in this movie. They finally....made the right superman movie. Expand
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in with high expectations and it managed to meet most of them. Which surprised me, it was fun and it tried to fit a lot in what seemed a short time, but was actually long. I'm sure the next one will have more character development and I can't wait. In short Super! Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie wasn't perfect, but by god it's awesome! It's so sad that the critics don't feel the same way. Criticism over the serious tone is probably due to harping upon nostalgia. This movie is so thoughtful and provocative, and the performances by the actors are phenomenal. My only sadness is that a quality movie may not get the attention it deserves.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Boundlessly cool and entertaining, amazing visual effects, the fights are fast and explosive and the stakes feel high. Michael Shannon steals the show. He delivers a performance that gathers all the intensity he has ever played into one character (That's super intense).

Take this how you will, but there is more destruction in this film than I have ever seen. Nothing is sacred. It's
    sweet.

Hans Zimmer's score: I think it's some of his best work. With it, he pays more dividends to the plot beats and the characters than the script or actors. It is delicate and sensitive but at moments notice can go from 1- 100! It raises the stakes to where they should be and makes some of the more cheesy moment so much more palatable. He has gathered a brutal drum ensemble and it shakes you to your foundations!

I will say that the film suffers from minor plot holes and some teeth grinding cheesy moments. There is a lack of comic relief, and perhaps some comic moments that seem misplaced or gauche. The pacing is strange and seems to polarise people, you either love it, or hate it. I'm not quite sure yet... but i'm leaning towards disliking it.

I still think Superman is too "good". He needs to struggle with himself more! We need more internal conflict in order to relate more and for us to want him to win that much more. BUT.
    I think we finally have a superman film that is BADASS and another superhero that is accesible to this generation.
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Zack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension and vulnerability. Michael Shannon creates a conflicted and compelling villain (General Zod) and is almost overtaken by his side-kick Faora (Antje Traue) who poses a greater personal risk for the Man of Steel.

Amy Adams (as Lois Lane) does really well she's not the helpless woman depicted by the animated series. She's tough, in a Pepper Potts (from Ironman) sort of a way. Like Adams, Diane Lane (as Martha Kent) is great. It's Cavill's interactions with these two woman that provide the greatest depth for his character a nice touch.

And if you're a film aficionado who loves movie-music, Hans Zimmer's score is masterful, as is this film's sound-mixing.

Can't wait for the sequel, which already has confirmed key players, and ultimately the Justice League movie!

Note: There is no mid or end credit scene. Bummer.
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Superman Movie story for this generation. Man of steel has pulled what other Superman movie has never done this movie has shown us the core of the character and what he can do. Emotional and action packet, this movie has it all and I can't wait for the sequel of this movie. Thank you God for NOT giving us another campy Superman movie. Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel Was worth the wait, time, and money I dropped to see it. While Nolan and company may have fell a little short in character development and cheesy lines; Lois Lane having to tell Perry she is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, the story telling and cinematic fair far outweigh what is missing. It also looks like some of the character development may be left to the sequels which brings me to my next point. As I was watching the world of Krypton unfold before my eyes and listening the cool history of it narrated to me by Jor-el, all I could think as Kal-el zoomed towards earth was, "I want more of that!" The entire world and history of Krypton the way it was depicted could easily have been its own movie a la Prometheus y Avatar. The only way the story and characters develop into critic approving fair is if this film is broken into at least two or three separate films to build the relationship between audience and characters. Obviously, that is something critics of Snyder have had for some time. The more I write this review the more upset I get at the missed opportunities of this piece. I can visualize a Man of Steel series not unlike Joss Whedon's Firefly series with the awesome Serenity film finale. Keep the actors, tone, mood everything, just replace the guy behind the camera and the film editors...can you people see it? Ugh...Speaking of Whedon, if there was a silver lining in the film, it was Snyder's use of camera work in many of the film sequences that were definitely influenced by Whedon. I was a late comer to Firefly and I caught it last summer on Netflix. Remember the scene where Serenity is being chased by the Reavers and Wash has to pull some fancy maneuvering to escape? That camera work was so cool, I must have hit the rewind button a dozen times to keep watching that sequence because I had never seen action shots filmed in a way that I could actually SEE the action and experience it as if I was flying with the ship itself. Since then, I see that technique used more and more frequently and it never fails to amaze me. It is so much easier to enjoy and SEE the film instead of seeing a jumble of flashes and letting the synapses of my brain translate what my rods and cones are interpreting. I may have taken the scenic route to explain this, but Snyder's use of these shots was so much more clear as opposed to watching a Michael Bay film that is all flash and chaos. OK. So Man of Steel, though at times a little thin in character development and story telling, is definitely worth the time and money. I can't wait to see any sequels alone or with the Justice League. Expand
  13. I23
    Jun 14, 2013
    THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!! I seen this movie at the midnight showing with a few friends and we all loved it! All I can say is don't listen to the critics, watch the movie for yourself and make your own decision. The action in this movie is unparalleled, this is a superman we have never seen on film before and he kicks some serious ass!
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    Its a great movie. It finally gives a Superman we can say its super. The movie is definitely DC version of Avengers. It has alien battles that really are amazing. The origin story is great for Superman in the movie. I loved Lois Lane, Superman, Jor-el, Jonathan Kent, Zod and Faora in the movie. I can't wait to see what Sequel will look like. Hope Brainaic, Metallo, Parasite, Doomsday and Darkseid will make presence in sequels and Justice League. Expand
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    This Superman will define this generation. When watching this movie, keep a blank slate. This is not the Superman from three decades ago, the Lois and Clark Superman, or the Smallville Superman, nor should it be. More often than not, critics tend to hang on to their favorite iteration of Superman which causes bias opinions. It's an unfair bias to think of watching this film and expecting to see the goofy bumbling uncoordinated Clark Kent, if so, you'll be disappointed. I had read a review from a critic stating that not once did Superman smile. But, was it necessary for him to do so, knowing that people's lives were at stake and an alien invasion was imminent? For the record, Superman and his alter ego, Clark Kent do crack smile. It is easy for the Superman from the first Donner film to smile. How can he not, when all he needed to do to avert a major disaster was to fly at light speed to reverse the Earth's axis to revert everything back to normal? Spoiler here, this does not occur in Man of Steel and I am glad for that!

I was convinced of each actors/actresses role of the characters they portrayed. I was convinced of the character's depth. I bought into the idea that human parents had instilled strong morals and values to an alien that can crush mountains and teach him life is precious. I bought into the idea on Clark's journey to discover his place in the world, as most everyone should be able to relate to this. I understood Zod's motive. I understood, as a leader, why he sought to change the status quo early in the movie. I understood his action was for the betterment of his people.

I like the science fiction aspect of the movie. It makes sense to me to tell a story of Superman's birth parents and where they had come from. The science fiction, and the technology incorporated in the story was very well done. I was very happy to see this was explored in the movie. This is the Krypton I had envisioned, an advance society that controlled the population. A theme that resonates from John Byrne's Krypton but differ on how the population was controlled.

This film's action scenes are fast paced. Synder has a reputation of using the slowed down camera scenes, like his other film 300, this film is the opposite. I imagine this is how it would be to view super beings as powerful as Kryptonians engage in battle with one other. The fighting scenes were superb and were welcomed by me after an action less film in Superman Returns.

If not for the few subplots on the story that did not seem to flow very well with me, I most likely would have given this film a near perfect score but the subplots were minor. All in all, you should watch this film, maybe more than just once.
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    Long story short, Man of Steel was a fantastic film with a lead that could hold his own on screen, brilliant supporting cast, amazing score, intense fight scenes and a story to hold everything together. Seeing as how The Dark Knight made itself more than just a comic book movie by making itself almost drama is the easiest way to put it when Man of Steel made itself just as believable but with science fiction and drama. This "first contact" type of story being told will make it extremely easier to introduce the DC universe so time will tell. Needless to say movie tickets are freakishly expensive and god forbid you're watching a 3D version but i without a doubt would pay to see this again. Expand
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    Great movie This show to us The human side of Superman Great visual efects, great score, plenty of action! I saw it in imax and it was amazing!! Dont bother to see it in 3D not worth your extra bucks
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    Great Movie, Excited to see where they go with the sequels. I just wish they would have made Superman more vocal and emotionally connected with the audience in order for everyone to embrace him and cheer for him more in his moment of triumph. Good Job!
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed the movie, it was flawed but still super. I didn't like Sucker Punch and was concerned, but I'm pretty happy with this effort. The SF quotient is upped, yes, but for me this is a positive. Huge action scenes, likewise, they need to be super. I hope they give Cavill more (good) dialogue in the sequel, though.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    Epic Movie...just epic frame by frame...this movie takes us back to the days wer our elders enjoyed the flash n others..n the biggest action spectacular...thanks to zack and Weta digital....so we got ourselves our superman back.......its finally time believe a man can fly....
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    Originally, I had low hopes due to the various negative critical responses. But as soon as I saw this movie at an advanced screening, I realized that those critics can just go die in a box!! MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have all been waiting for!! The action, visuals and cinematography are all brilliant!

Now does this movie have flaws? Yes it does. But those flaws can just
    easily be covered up due to the movie's spectacle. Zack Snyder has never been one of my favorite directors, but I realized that it isn't his fault. He is unluckily paired with amateur writers with scripts and stories that are very blurry or hard to understand. Snyder is a great director; blame David S. Goyer. The only good movies he's done are the Dark Knight movies.

The acting in this movie should also be praised. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, and Kevin Costner all do marvelous jobs portraying their characters. But the real person who should be praised in this movie is Michael Shannon. He literally steals the show due to a powerful performance as General Zod.

Here's how I would rank this movie (On a scale of 1-10):

Editing- 9
    Music- 10
    Sound-10
    Cinematography-10

All in all, I rank this movie a 9 out of 10. I would definitely recommend anyone to go see it and I can't wait to see what will be in store for the next movie.
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is a spectacular film with a villain and an incredible cast, a great story, great effects and this film makes you say'' This is the best film of 2013''.
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    A+++ movie. Please don't believe the critics, please see this for yourself. This is an amazing movie and you deserve to make your own mind up about it. I will say this for certain, though: Henry Cavil makes a phenomeonal Superman, and if any thing was lacking, it was that Michael Shannon's performance was just a little lackluster.
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    I was three years old when I saw Superman for the first time. I was so captivated that I jumped off the sofa in an ambitious attempt to fly. Of course, I crashed...hard into the side of the coffee table. Four stitches and twenty-nine years later, I remain fascinated by the alien from Krypton.

We all know the story of Kal-El. It is one of the most familiar stories in the world. The myth
    of Superman appears to be trans-cultural and nearly timeless. For some people, that is one of it's greatest strengths. Yet for others, it was it's own kryptonite. It appears that Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan have found a way to make Kal-El invincible once again.

Unlike the Donner adaptation, quite a bit of the Krypton background story was infused in "Man of Steel." Jor El, Lara, and Zod became more believable. Their struggles were identical to our own. Like us, they struggled with prejudice, racism and hatred. They cling to hope, love, and the desire to survive and thrive. And like us, they are blinded by their ignorance and arrogance. In a sense, they are what could happen to us if we ever lose our grasp on our humanity.

Yet hope is preserved from within the infant, Kal-El. Kal-El crosses solar systems so that he can be raised by the "salt of the earth" Kents. They ingrained a sense of destiny that is deep-rooted. When hope meets destiny and is empowered by Clark's humanity; mankind is there to reap the rewards.

Mankind has found it's protector and advocate, but not without grave cost. Zod's Kryptonian pride is as strong as Clark's desire to protect the earth. A battle of epic proportions takes place. Thousands of lives are lost in an action-packed struggle yet a predictable victor prevails. But not in a fashion that is traditional for the Superman saga. The conclusion will provide for great debate for many. I will say this, I think the conclusion helps form the character of Superman and deeply effects the moral fiber of Clark Kent.

One of the main criticisms is that there is a lack of character development. I agree to a certain extent. More could be done to flesh out the characters. I would have liked to see more chemistry between Clark and Lois, yet that may come in the sequels. I would have also liked to see the charming and witty Superman that Christopher Reeve perfectly captured. Even Christian Bale was able to give Batman some humor within the gloomy Dark Knight movies.

Even though there could have been more character development, "Steel" had plenty of heart-wrenching scenes. You can feel the sadness in Lara-El as she watched her son depart the doomed Krypton. It was gut-wrenching watching Clark witness the death of his earthly father and it was exhilarating watching Clark discover the scope of his powers. To say that there was little character development is not a true statement.

Another criticism was that there was too much violence and action. I strongly disagree with this assessment. Zod was a military leader of Krypton. He only knows one language: violence. So of course there was a ton of violence. Please remember context is important when reading uninformed movie criticisms.

Was "Man of Steel" perfect? Absolutely not. It has it's fair share of logical flaws (why is Superman smooching with Lois Lane after thousands of lives were lost?), lacks some character development, and could use a touch of humor. However, "Man of Steel" has made us believe that hope can persevere, we have control over our own destiny, and that something connects all of us; no matter how lost we feel within our own world.

I give "Man of Steel" an 8/10 stars. I recommend this movie to those with wild and vivid imaginations.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    You know. I'm really hurt watching this movie being bashed by the so called "critics". I just had to register.
    I'm a man who rates productions by how much they will move me inside. I can't believe, but for the first time
    in my life I cried on an action movie. Just go see the Man of Steel. You wont regret this.
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    This film is incredible, don't take the critics complaints for it. If you do and don't watch this film you'll be missing out on something great. Best pure superhero comic film ever, The Avengers can just quit now.
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    I went into this movie with very high expectations, and while all of them were not met. The vast majority were. There were some scenes that could have used a little more length and attention I think it can be overlooked for what this movie did give us that previous movies have not, an actual display of Superman's powers in a variety of different situations. I felt the character was more of a real person than in previous incarnations, and for once I felt like I was looking at the Superman I have read in the comics for the last 30 or so years. Excellent film, looses 1 point for the reasons above. Beyond that I can't wait for the sequel now!!!!! Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is one of the most awesome spectacles in recent years. Words cannot express how truly impressed and riveted I was in the theater. All my expectations were blown away. Each and every character was solid, realistic and well developed.
    Some critics have gone on record to say the MOS has no heart, is too loud, is an incoherent mess, or is without any shred of a plot. They did not
    go to Man of Steel to see a Superman movie. That went to rite a scathing review, because they can. Critics are critical because it gets them noticed. There is always someone who wants to tear things down. And who has farther to fall than Superman?
    That said, Man of Steel is an over-the-top, full blown, this is what a hero really is thrill-ride. Man of Steel flies high, and critic know jack nothing.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    full of heart, Fun, fast pace, and over the top action. In a few words but i am not allow to be that short. It's not your Grand dad's Superman but he is still the good guy you want to root for in the end.
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    o melhor filme de herois de todos os tempos, na visão de fã de hqs e filmes de herois.
    o zack realmente fez uma obra prima, e conseguiu levar o superman para o seculo 21.
    com otimas cenas de ação e uma boa historia do david goyer, completa esse epico que vai ficar marcado por muitas gerações
  31. Jun 14, 2013
    The best comic book movie since 2008's TDK. Cavill is Superman and the rest of the cast played their parts perfect. Good story and the action came at the right time.
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    This Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The pace wasn't a problem for me as I didn't expect Superman to be Superman yet, which is why they don't say that word alot in the film. Its not Lois and Clark with a bigger budget so don't expect a love story, expect a super powered being with real problems and a kick ass last 45 minutes and I promise you'll love it just as much as I did. Expand
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's hybrid baby is a beautiful film that will take you on a dark, emotional and gravitating first 100 minutes as the origin story of Superman is articulated. Although the last 45 minutes is a bit Transformers-esque with massive destruction accompanied by little emotional loss in any of the main characters, Man of Steel is the beginning of a series that should go up, up and away. Expand
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    Okay "Man Of Steel"
    As a Superman fan I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Are there problems with it? Yes, but there are many positives.
    Problems: Choppy editing for the first half (not too big deal, unless you're a stickler about it)
    the story/writing (though good) was not "great" (at least not Dark knight great), but it is passable.
    The Characters felt slightly held back( partly in due to
    the writing), but they made the best of what they had to work with.
    You don't need to see it in 3D(unless you like the tech, me not so much), but definitely see it in theaters, and on the biggest screen you can.(love it in Imax minus the 3D)
    Positives:
    The ACTION!!! that is how a Superman movie is supposed to be (looking at you Superman Returns).(think avengers action times 10 to the power of a lot)
    Henry Cavill has a great mix of both look and presence as Superman (with a better director and better writing he has the potential to be on par or better than previous incarnations.)
    The Music. I am never disappointing by Hans Zimmer. It's Gold.
    MOST IMPORTANTLY: This movies has the potential to have a "Dark knight" level of a sequel if not better. (the ground work is there, and it is exciting to think about what will come next... I'm hoping for a very strong morality piece for a sequel.
    Overall I give Man of Steel an 8 out of 10. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and will most likely see it again in theaters, but I will say that if they do a sequel, they need to push for a better director and writer; or have the current guys step up their game big time.
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    Excerpt from the blog: http://tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca/
    Its convoluted plot prevents it from reaching the same heights as some recent superhero movie classics, like X-Men: First Class (2011) and The Dark Knight (2008); however, Man of Steel is still an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable movie that was both thought-provoking and exhilarating.
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    Such an AMAZINGLY AWESOME experience not just a movie. Thanks to all who were involved in bringing us the people, the consumer, the fans those that truly do matter (unlike the typical negative critic everyone knows is just starved for attention.) such a world class film. I look very forward to more "Man of Steel". The bar hasn't been raised, it's been flown into the stratosphere. Not just an epic comic book movie but as a whole one of the best movies I've witnessed. Expand
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is a great movie, except for a few flaws that come to light when you closely look at its narrative structure. The cast was, simply put, amazing. Henry Cavil looks the part and acts like the sort of humble, polite, qualities that come with Superman. Amy Adam's Lois Lane is for the first time important to the story, she is given things to do and she does them well. No longer is she a "damsel in distress" but rather, an important part of Kal-El's journey to accepting his identity as Superman. The two fathers Russel Crowe as Jor-El and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent are convincing and truly want the best for their son. Kevin Costner, in particular, moved me to tears. The only member of the main cast who I felt was slightly weak and out-shadowed by the others was Michael Shannon as General Zod. Sure, he was menacing, powerful, and a physical threat to Superman, but he was not on the level of great comic book villains in film such as Loki, Joker, or even Ra's Al Ghul to name a few. I would liken General Zod to Bane the actors did a good job but both characters were given too little to do. Although Michael Shannon tried to convince the audience of his point of view, Antje Traue's Faora ultimately overshadows him as being a threat, deadpan delivery and utter ruthlessness makes her much more than a pawn. The special effects are amazing. Zack Snyder just knows how to make epic and whether you take to his style or not is personal preference. Speaking of the director, Nolan's touches are obviously in this film. The noir color palette, the story, and the dialogue is very much Nolan but infused with Snyder's style as well. A couple of lines made me cringe, such as the army officer saying that Superman is "hot" and the controversial ending where (SPOILER) Superman kills Zod. Lines like those prevented me from fully immersing myself into the film. David Goyer's story is very much a comic book story, with twists and turns, exploring the psyche of Superman. However, I doubt if he should have attempted to stuff so many themes in a 130 minute(?) running time. In the end, not one theme resonated with me and the actor/actress's performances stuck with me. Overall, Man of Steel is the best film since the original Superman visually impressive, strong performances, and some action (ahem Superman Returns) makes this easily the summer blockbuster of the year. Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    Movie was great, I completely underestimated how good Cavill would be as superman, and Amy Adams was perfect as Lois.. Action scenes were great, maybe a little lengthy, but if you enjoyed any of the batman movies, this is for you
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the movie is going for a certain tone and styles and since it sticks to its guns from start to finish, certainly people are going to be split from totally loving or hating this iteration.
    For me, the movie simply delivers far exceeding my expectation, which is quite high already with all the hypes and press.
    Current movie audiences simply needed a new Superman movie at this
    time but this different new take on the iconic superhero just isn't the same as the previous movies in the franchise.
    This highlights the problem whether or not people would praised the risks taken or cursed them for it, and judging by people's reactions and my own, it definitely leaning towards the former.
    Every movie will have its own faults and detractors, but I have a highly positive 3D viewing experience of this movie from start to finish and I scored it based on how much I enjoy this movie as a whole.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel brought the grandpa of superheroes back in style with a modern, accessible and action packed sci-fi drama that has not only opened the gateway for a whole new type of superhero flick, but also kept a firm handle on a challenging and outdated mythos that many directors/writers would have turned away from. Kudos to Zack Snyder, David Goyer & Christopher Nolan!
  41. Jun 14, 2013
    If there's any movie that shows just how out of touch movie critics are with movie fans, this is it. Zack Snyder had a tough job pulling this one off and I'm not exactly a fan of his, but this was a grand slam home run if there's ever been one. This is a must see.
  42. Jun 14, 2013
    esta es una version mas actualizada del super heroe superman,a pesar q no soy muy fan,esta es una de las mejores peliculas basadas en un personaje de comic que e visto en mi vida.exelente trama y los ultimos 45 minutos no te deja ni respirar.nolan y snyder los lograron le devolvieron la vida a superman,esta entre las mejores peliculas que e visto en mi vida.
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    Need to work on character on development but for me this movie was what i wanted for a superman movie, not perfect but epic..best action sequence ive seen only word.. Epic,
    Best superman, movie of the year for me
  44. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel, where do I start. How about the beginning? The movie starts with great science fiction. A mother is at a loss as she gives up her son, and then concedes her life as the world dies. Much more dramatic than what I'm typing.

Clark, Mr Anon, is traveling America and trying to help where he can. He does when an oil rig decides to go all fire and explosives, and only Clark can help save the people trapped. He helps, it's awesome.

Lois and Clark meet, and it's well done. Many small nods to 75 years of canon. I was extremely impressed by the knowledge of the writers. Seriously. This is the story we've been waiting for since I became able to read comics. This movie tells the real story, and isn't a fluff piece that warms the heart, but instead shows that great power can be followed by a good person. Superman could have been a jerk, he has complete free will, but he doesn't...I could explain more on that, as he does show a glimpse of his arrogance when talking to his father before the tornado storm....

Superman's fights were epic. These were for us fans. Seriously. You don't put those out there for the critics, you put those out there for the fans. The critics will think its too much unnecessary violence, because the critics don't really understand Zod's one mindedness and desire to crush the last El.

Ah well, I'm tired, but loved the movie. I plan on seeing it again.
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    It's the pointed focus on science fiction that elevates Man of Steel beyond that of just another Superman movie, Cavill is more than serviceable as our hero, Khal-El, while Crowe and Costner provide strong acting from the supporting roles. The action sequences are immaculate EPIC!!
  46. Jun 15, 2013
    The aggregate score does not do this piece justice. It's definitely the Superman film fans have wanted for a long time, however as a film it has it's fair share of flaws and some (not all) critics have a point. For the most part what I see hurting the film's ratings with critics is a backslash of nostalgia for Donner's lighthearted, campy approach. These critics are dead wrong for trying to measure up this rendition to something from 35 years ago. Instead of judging the film solely on it's merits they're disappointed that the titular character didn't live up to some personal idyllic version that they themselves have created.

This is very much a story about self discovery. Kal-El didn't hop out of his space craft and immediately become the Superman general audiences know and love. Expecting him to do that is completely unfair. Instead this movie opts to tell the story of how Clark Kent the man evolves into the role of Superman through a human, almost humble perspective. This is where it succeeds.

That out of the way some of the legitimate concerns were lack of development for supporting characters. Why would I care about these characters living or dying if I don't know who they are aside from a few glimpses into their personalities? I see some people complaining about how it was edited and told through a flashback format, but isn't that structure exactly what Batman Begins was praised for? In my humble opinion It can be excused because this is as much an origin story as it is a character piece.

Another valid concern is the overabundance of destruction that Zack Snyder throws at the audience. It desensitizes the viewer to the point that it loses it's impact by the time it's supposed to matter. Snyder could have shown a little more restraint. I feel like he was overcompensating for Superman Returns' lackluster (in)action sequences. I will say that Snyder did an excellent job visually when it came to conveying the alien nature of Krypton and it's biotechnological culture. It was definitely the highlight and shifted this away from the stereotypical comic book movie and into science-fantasy territory. Man of Steel is worth a second watch due to the Kryptonian prologue alone.

All in all it's a very good movie, but not great. More than enough of a solid foundation for Warner Brothers to launch their DC universe. I give it a 7.5/10, recommend that anyone who's anyone watch it, twice.
  47. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS: There will be some in this review. From the moment the movie started it had my attention and I was never bored. I thought the acting was well done, with Amy Adams being the only weak link. I never bought into her as Lois Lane, and I was bothered by how easily she backtracked through Clark's history to find out who he was.

Obviously the action is what you expect out of a Superman movie. Zack Snyder does a fine job with that in this movie, although sometimes it's a bit over the top. You could tell all throughout the movie that Superman did have emotional ties to the people, and I could see so much emotion in him. But then other times you wonder what he's thinking as he fights Zod in Metropolis and destroys so much of the city killing an untold number of people off screen. That didn't sit really well with me, but I also realize to a certain extent this was a "war" very similar to what happened in the Avengers. Who knows how many people were killed in that, and I think that's become acceptable for this type of film, as long as it's not directly on camera.

I thought Michael Shannon shined as Zod. People complaining about his performance in comparing him only to Terrence Stamp are just being naive. Same as the people trying to compare Cavill to Reeve. I'm sorry, but this isn't 1978, and if you read the comics you realize that the Superman currently in the comics does mimic what we got on the screen.

The rest of the cast shined, although I kind of felt like we got a little bit too little of the Daily Planet staff. I think that'll be fixed going forward.

All in all, I thought this was a good start to a Superman series, and I enjoyed the movie, even if it did seem a little over the top. But I don't know what else to expect when you go see a movie about an Alien with Super powers. As for those who are reviewing this as a zero and then taking pot shots at other reviewers, maybe you should reflect on yourself and your poor grammar before you attack others.
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so Im sorry but, critics are only as good as their taste! Man of Steel is the greatest comic book movie of ALL time! It is everything a superhero movie should be! Critics say its too serious and blah blah blah but did these people ever read a comicbook? Superman is a lost soul, an alien from another planet who never chose these powers, but is forced into deciding how to use them. That is more than just a dilemna. It is a choice that if it were true, humanity would have no choice but to conform to. Man of steel brings that question to us in a real world setting, where Kal-el has to make choices none of us would want to. This is a truly heartbreaking movie with incredible soul that the critics seem to miss in their reviews. He is an alien who is trying to figure out who he is and why he is here! He isnt a human with all our flaws, he is flawless and doesnt know why? Who wouldnt be quiet and seek solitude in that same instance. The actions sequences are very heavy, but please remember it is a superhero movie and really what would happen if aliens came here to take over and one of them decided, that wasnt going to happen! Heck we as humans have destroyed countries in seconds, imagine what super aliens could do! Henry Cavill is amazing, you feel his strength and his weakness(not kryptonite) his weakness as has always been his love for this planet and the humans who have adopted him. Critics aside Man of Steel is a great reboot to the franchise and as was Batman Begins it will be remembered for years to come. Go see it true fans will love it!!! Expand
  49. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a very enjoyable film IMO. It wasn't perfect, but it's a fun ride. I love the overall themes, fight scenes, and all the acting. I was cool with some of the core changes they made that might make some hardcore fans mad as well. The pacing of the first half felt rushed and disjointed, and I wish they did it more linear so we could get more of Kevin Costner with young Clark and get more invested in the character rather than flashbacks moments interspersed throughout. I enjoyed the fight scenes immensely (though I get the complaints about them) and thought the last 45 mins of the film were stellar. I especially enjoyed how much this movie incorporates not only the super hero saving humanity but humanity (especially Lois) helping save him as well as Superman empowering them to save themselves. Superman is the ultimate immigrant who comes to make his new world a better while also realizing he cherishes, needs, and dependent on his new home as well. I think they did a decent job exploring this theme. Overall, it's a good modern take on Superman that gets me excited to see Superman in all his glory for the sequel now that the origin story is out of the way. Also, I loved the subtle moments between Lois and Clark in the film. More in the sequel please. I give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. Not as high as I wanted to be but nowhere near the asinine rubbish most movie critics make it out to be. Don't listen to their bloviating. It's miles ahead of Returns and a good step in the right direction. Expand
  50. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Sorry for bad English. If i have bad English or you cannot understand some of them)

Man of Steel is a movie that i have been waiting since it was announced. I always loved the old Donner classics (the first 2 atleast) and this movie delivers of what is to be the best Superman movie yet. I am quite disappointed by all the negative reviews. I mean critics complain about too much action, too serious, too long of a story before it gets to all the 'I must be Superman' part of the story. One of the things I love about this movie is that how young Clark has troubles fitting into society with all of his powers. After all he is an alien, this is one of the key elements of the movie. Its about how Superman can fit in the modern world. How people will react to him if they found out he was superhuman. Of course, people are saying that they explore this too much. About how from child to adulthood he is still suffering or pretty much him searching on how to be human. Well let me tell you something, this is life it has some difficult stages and specially if you are a alien from another planet. This film really captures that image. It captures how a man will fell like if they could fly. Superman wouldn't be just "Hey, I know how to fly from the first time I lift off" Realisticly he would be "OHHH YEAH I'M FLYING *CRASHES*" This must be non-related but that scene in which Clark was in the church was just emotional, i dont know why. I mean this movie didnt just make Krypton this super sci-fi planet. They actually gave it a culture, animals, and traditional suits.

Well the main plot of the movie asides the Superman getting to set to Earth is that Kal-El (Superman) is different from other Kryptonians. He is a natural ospring. According to Krypton tradition(In the movie), each child is breed for a specific occupation. A baby can be meant to be born to be a warrior, a worker, or a enginner. But Kal-El differs from the rest, because as soon as he was born he was sent to Earth and thats why Zod is out to find him. Henry Cavil did amazing as Superman, Amy Adams bring a more realistic Lois Lane which isn't just a damsel in distress but a strong character and ultimately daring. Micheal Shannon brought a faithful character. Russel Crow did great as Jor-El

The other thing that is big, huge element is that this movie starts the DC Cinematic Universe. There was alot of easter eggs in the movie. From the satellite with the Wayne Enterprises logo to the mentioning of S.T.A.R labs, this movie just makes comic book fans shat with excitement. This is the first movie that will eventually lead to the Justice League movie. Rumors are unclear if they are going to directly make a Justice League movie with no team up or standalone movies first like Wonder Woman, Flash, or a Superman/Batman movie.

Soundtrack All I can say is WOW! Han Zimmer really delivered a amazing soundtrack into the movie. The intro of the movie just gave me goosebumps from the trumpets to the pianos.

Effects There is alot of action and effects in this movie. Hey, Superman was meant to be an violent person. His first comic book was called "Action Comics" for good sakes. So all the critics saying Superman is too violent go off. There were alot of destruction and explosions in this movie. The CGI in this film is not the greatest but extremely realistic. From the building exploding, to Superman launching into the air.

Anyway in a nutshell It explains the real-life problems of Superman, alot of action, more Dark Knight less Green Lantern and is the best summer blockbuster movie you can go see.
  51. Jun 15, 2013
    As a lifelong Superman fan who read the comics, grew up on reruns of the 50's TV series and the Donner films, I was primed for another reinvention of the character. After reading lackluster reviews I went into the theater expecting to be disappointed. Once I saw how the Krypton sequences unfolded I was hooked! Critics be damned! This is everything I wanted in a Superman movie. The effects are amazing. The fight and flight scenes are beautifully realized and the emotional punch of the flashbacks are an inspired way to build the foundation of our hero's journey. Henry Cavill was the perfect choice for the suit and gives Clark a more grounded and morally conflicted soul. Amy Adams as Lois Lane infuses the character with more intelligence and bravery than previous incarnations and is given more to do than just get into trouble. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane shine as Ma & Pa Kent and deliver the most emotional scenes in the film. I only wish they could've spent a little more time on the Kents as a family. Russell Crowe is exceptional as Jor-El and Micheal Shannon's Zod a wholly different interpretaion of the character. His motivation is driven more by genetic predisposition than a megalomaniacal mind. You can tell that a lot of love was poured into this film, and the layers will keep me coming back again and again. Superman is back and better then ever! Expand
  52. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (To cut to the chase, I copy and pasted a conversation I had with a friend on another site so it may sound like a one sided talk)

I've seen it twice already and while the third act is action intensive, they keep it unique because they make Superman as powerful as he should be rather than toning him down, so you never lose interest because the fight scenes are unlike anything you've ever seen. The story/character building is flawless imo, or at least as good as you can get. Everyone cheered after the showdown between Zod and Superman and after the movie was over, several people gave it a standing ovation, with everyone else giving a rousing round of applause. It was unique, emotionally engaging, and had easily the best superhero action you will ever see. They truly capture Superman in both his power and his struggles.

There was definitely some overt religious parallels, the obvious examples being when Jor-El sends him to earth and says "he will be a god to them," but also in that he is a miracle birth, being the only naturally born Kryptonian in centuries. There is also an obvious juxtaposition with Christ in a stained glass window (especially in that Jesus is wearing a red cloak in the image) when he asks a priest for advice. He is also 33 when he reveals himself to the world and fights for humanity, as Jesus was 33 when he made his sacrifice. Think of it as him sacrificing his anonymity, the only thing that's really allowed him to live a semi-normal life up to that point, for the greater good of his people; they even touch on his having a bit of a crisis of faith, not in God necessarily but humanity as a whole, when he tells the priest "Zod can't be trusted, but I'm not sure humanity can either." The movie handles the messianic archetype well--it's not obvious and in your face, and neither does it insult the concept.

Nature v. Nurture can be argued to be one of the center themes of the story. You have the Kents and humanity as a whole pulling Superman in one direction, and Zod and the Kryptonians pulling him in another. And Zod himself isn't just all "for the evulz," he actually makes a lot of sense; he really DOES care for his people and is willing to destroy humanity for them, just as Superman is willing to defend humanity under any cost. Neither side is technically more right than the other since one side winning means the other side doesn't exist anymore, meaning SOMEONE is basically committing genocide be it them or humanity.

And they put Superman in some really troubling positions as well. There are times where people threaten him and he barely controls his anger lest he lash out and turn them to dust. And I won't spoil it, but the ending puts Supes in a position I don't think we've seen him in too often, if ever.

The movie is obviously a most serious big screen depiction of Superman, but it isn't without its humor. The only time they actually call him Superman--and they do refer to him as such only once--is great. We're not talking The Avengers styled humor, but there are several times where the whole audience was laughing. And I think the seriousness of the movie serves to that effect better; it allows the fewer laughs to have more of an impact. Forgive me but I am going to spoil one small scene to make a larger point, but when they call him Superman it's in the last act of the movie and I had a noticeable "oh yeah!" moment because I had stopped thinking of him as Superman and more as Kal-El, or Clark. So when they do call him Superman, it serves as a reminder of who this guy is or maybe more importantly what he'll become. He isn't Superman yet, he's just Kal-El, Superman is a title he's yet to earn. So when the guy drops the name "Superman" everyone pauses and says "Superman?" in a disbelieving tone. "Yeah, sir, the alien, that's...that's what they're calling him." As if the name is completely ridiculous. It's great self-referential humor, but I think it serves to show that the icon of Superman has not come into his own yet. They call him Kal or Clark in this movie, or the alien, but Superman is an idea, "an ideal to strive towards." And I'm pretty sure that is what the second Man of Steel will touch on.

I'd say his acting is perfect for this role, but not for the 1970's version. The Reeves version was much more light hearted than this one, some might even say campy. In a good way I suppose, and Reeves was definitely THE Superman, but if Reeves was THE Superman, then I think it's fair to say that Cavill is THE Kal-El. He's much more grounded and subtle, but not without his charm and friendliness. To be sure this isn't Batman with Superman's powers, it's very much still Superman, but a Superman with a more realistic psychology, more believable and in that Cavill does a great job. I don't think it's fair to compare him to Reeves in part because Reeves gave an iconic performance 40 years ago, and in part that his version was much more kid-friendly. This is a Superman for adults.
  53. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all i understand some of the negative feelings towards the movie from a lot of the critics,and i agree to some extend that the pace are a little off.The big problem isn't exactly in this pacing,but more because some of the backstory felt rushed and chopped that could easily be explained in more scenes.I feel like the flashbacks should be much longer to explain why Clark is what he is,a humble,kind kid with extraordinary powers that could easily be arrogant,selfish,and bullies his way into life.And a few cutscenes shouldn't and couldn't explain this well enough for us mere mortals to believe it.

Second of all the Fighting scene was quite incredible to say the least,the Beating that he dealt(and take) is literally earth shattering and that is completely fine by me,even if the metropolis/south pacific fight was a little too fast to follow,what can you expect from superman? And i do notice a lot of critics who rated it low because of this,and its stupid because comicbook is a fantasy and how can you show the immense power that this being held without showing them? It should be embraced and the movie should not be judged by it.

I give this movie an 8.5/10 but i round it up as a 9 because it is still a must see movie with small flaws that should be overlooked.Its a new take on the superman story and should be looked as its own and not a reboot.
  54. Jun 15, 2013
    Great performances all around and some of the best effects I've seen in any comic book film. This is the Superman movie I've wanted to see for a long time.

Henry Cavil gives a breakout performance while Russell Crowe gives us the best version of Jor-El I've ever seen in film, comics or otherwise. And make no mistake, this movie is all about Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El.

I was very
    happy the filmmakers didn't attempt to just remake the Richard Donner films of the 70s and 80s. That was tried in 2006's Superman Returns to much critical acclaim and not much in the way of box office numbers.

MoS really gives us an in-depth picture of who Clark Kent is, not so much in his dialog, but in his actions and sometimes inaction. From the time he's a kid to the time he's an adult he's faced with some really tough decisions. That's a running theme of this film and, yes, it's a familiar one: With great power, comes great responsibility. Is it an old trope? Sure, but it's still relevant to the superhero conversation.

Unlike Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, this movie takes a darker world and puts a modern Superman in it. Is the movie gritty? Not really. There are plenty of dark characters and moments, but Superman himself (along with Lois Lane, Perry White, The Kents and especially Jor-El) gives off great amounts of hope. The world around them seems harsh and cynical, but there is a light in the darkness.

Unlike Batman, Superman makes the decision to step out of the shadows and make himself known. Granted, there wasn't much choice in the matter, but when push comes to shove, this Superman makes the choice he feels is right, even when it takes a tremendous emotional toll on him.

I usually don't like a lot of time spent on Krypton when it comes to Superman films or TV shows, but this movie actually made that part seem interesting. It even works in some cool effects and action, which was very unexpected.

Is the movie perfect? Of course not, there's no such thing as a perfect film. Amy Adams shows so much potential to be the best on-screen Lois Lane there's ever been, but she doesn't get enough development in this movie to show us that completely. Kevin Costner gives such a tear-inducing performance, you can't help but feel his part was underwritten. Same with Diane Lane's Martha Kent, but at least that lady gets to be a real firecracker in one scene I'm going to remember as one of the all-time greats from any superhero film.

Lawrence Fishburne just barely scratched the surface of his Perry White, but he's definitely the right choice for the role. Way better than what we got in Superman Returns. This Perry White is a take-charge, hard-news man. And he gets his own hero moment when things get really crazy toward the end.

The humor in the movie is kept to a lower level than the Richard Donner films, but that's to its benefit in my view. Campy humor can be lots of fun and is in the Donner films. I love Otis probably more than any person should. But, for the modern screen, that type of things just doesn't work. Especially not if DC/Warner Bros. is really planning to compete with Marvel/Disney.

Still, a sequel (now pretty much inevitable) could use with a little more comic relief. Not a ton, but that's where some good banter between Clark and Lois might help, along with maybe the introduction of Jimmy Olsen.

But if the story/acting/effects don't give you chills, I don't see how Hans Zimmer's score could do anything less. One of the best movie scores of the last decade, possibly ever.

I'm one of those people that liked Iron Man 3. I say that as a preface to this: I LOVED Man of Steel! It's certainly going to divide the fans as it has the critics, but I think this is the way to go for cinematic DC Universe. I can't wait to see where this leads next.
  55. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I've been waiting my whole life for a Superman movie like this one. I thought the back story was great. I've read other reviews that COMPLAINING that there is too much action and its too loud and you'll leave the theater blind and deaf (these are clearly over aged movie critics who are judging this like its Cannes film festival). IT'S SUPERMAN, IT'S AN ACTION MOVIE. It's supposed to have explosions and intense scene.

Ranting aside, Henry Cavill delivered a great Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman. With seriousness, a dash of humor and the best Superman physique ever delivered by an actor in this franchise, you can count on this movie being appealing to you if you're a Superman fan or even just a movie fan. This movie caters to people who may not even like comics because it was an entertaining action/drama for all audiences. People keep getting on Snyder about too much CGI. TOO MUCH CGI? IT'S SUPERMAN AND ZOD FIGHTING! I suppose we should have had a casting call for real aliens who look like humans and had them have a realistic fight scene so CGI wouldn't have to be used.

I've heard people saying we didn't have enough time to get into a character to be able to really care about them. well if you're a fan of Superman then you already know all these characters. Do we really need to develop Perry White? No. This movie is everything it needed to be. The pretentious prick who gave this movie a score of zero is an idiot. Not even a point for the acting? Really? Get a life dude

Great movie. Go see it. I'll see it at least two more times in theater and then I'll buy the blu ray. So good, you won't be disappointed.
  56. Jun 15, 2013
    This film was two and a half hours of relentless HOLY F**K. It was “you sure you really want Superman? Well here’s your god damned Superman. Hope you’re happy now.”

There were a few parts of the script that didn’t make sense, and they didn’t really bother having a lot of character relationship building. But that was besides the point. This movie was all about: if a superhuman alien
    really grew up in our world, what would that look like? As a raw visual portrayal of that awesome p
    ower, the film just blows you away. Definitely a film worth going the IMAX 3D route.

It has decent casting for the side characters, and they are treated respectfully, but they exist only in service to the perspective of Superman himself and the story of his emergence onto the world stage. And there are some clever nods to past Superman stories as well as other movies and tropes there is in particular a lot of similarities with Prometheus both in themes and aesthetics.

But if you are looking for a really cohesive story, or a compelling drama beyond the core theme of the burden, responsibility, and joy of having super powers, you won’t find it here. The film just isn’t about anything more than that. But if you want a realistic visceral experience of being super, you’ll get more than you could ever hope for.

In short: this film does some things poorly, but the things it does well, it does so astonishingly ground-breakingly well, that it is well worth picking out the few grains of sand to experience the tour de force within.
  57. Jun 15, 2013
    This is an epic, action adventure tale of one of comics finest heroes, and Snyder and Nolan have presented him in fine form. For years fans have been clamoring for a Superman film that adequately presented the character and presented him with the formidable challenges he would experience in the pages of the storied comic book series and now they have that Superman on film. While many people consider the first Christopher Reeve Richard Donner film to be the 'genuine article' when it comes to seeing this character on film, they fail to realize that within the pages of the comic lies the TRUE Superman he has had many arcs told presenting many different sides to his personality, and one of the biggest criticisms of this film that it is too dark has also been portrayed within the pages of the comics from which he was born. The entire 'Death of Superman' storyline gave a dark gravitas and weight to the character and thrust him into more modern times. So why so upset that this film takes a more 'serious' approach to the story of Kal El Clark Kent? Perhaps it's that most critics still revel in the joy of the first true superhero movie made by Reeve Donner so long ago that they have skipped decades of comics which flesh the character out in a more serious and somber tone more often than people would think. If you are unwilling to accept this fact, that Man of Steel is a modern, real, and serious take on this character, then you should own the first two Superman films on Blu-ray and maybe read some of his comics...you might be surprised with what you find.

The acting is outstanding with notable performances from Amy Adams and Kevin Costner. When Costner's Jonathan Kent tells a confused and lonely Clark that he will always be his son you believe it the weight of emotion on his face showing feelings many a parent has often felt. The other actors and actresses do a fine job, Russell Crowe putting in a note worthy performance as Jor El, brilliant Kryptonian scientist and father to Superman. We get more of Jor El in this film than previous incarnations, and this may be the 'definitive article' when it comes to this character appearing on screen. Crowe gives an outstanding performance as a father driven to protect his child, while preserving the legacy of his dying world. The same can be said for Michael Shannon. His turn as the Kryptonian General Zod provides an element missing in the character, and not necessarily cannon in the lore of Superman empathy. He is on a race to save his people and his planet, and while his actions are deplorable, his expressed reasons make you empathize with him...even if only momentarily...and Shannon brings this emotional core to light.

Henry Cavill the man was BORN to play Superman. Simply put, here is an actor whose skills have yet to be truly tested, and if I have one complaint about this film it is this we don't get enough dialogue from the Man of Steel. But what Cavill does have he executes with a calm, strong, centered reserve. Loneliness, isolationism, bullying, and a commitment to just and moral action are all themes this version of Superman embody and Cavill does a great job bringing these emotions to the screen. With the success of this film assured, and a sequel already green lit by Warner Brothers, Cavill's rise to fame is just beginning, and it will be this film that marks the breakaway point of an already well established acting career.

Bottom line this is a modern day take on a classic hero. And it's one that many fans have been waiting a long time for. While the Christopher Reeve era Superman was a character that embodied hope and was lighthearted in scope, this is a Superman that is more rounded in modern day society we all feel loneliness and yearn for acceptance in a society that is less personal that the one that accepted Superman on the big screen so long ago. The Superman we have now, may in fact be more human than ever before, and this story is a fitting first chapter in what is surely going to be a multiple film arc for the character. Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan have all done a remarkable job and I for one am looking forward to the stories they will bring us in the forthcoming chapter of the life of Kal El. Welcome back Superman it's a changed world, but then you have changed with us. All told we're very glad you're here.
  58. Jun 15, 2013
    Want to get pumped up for Man of Steel? Do yourself a favor and watch Superman Returns right before watching Man of Steel.

I watched Superman Returns when it came out in 2006 and thought it was boring. Never understood why it was highly rated by critics. I watched it again yesterday to compare it with Man of Steel today. Holy crap, Man of Steel was awesome. Action was amazing and story
    was well thought out. Things weren't perfect and a common complaint was lack of character development, but I honestly think they probably left some of the developing to an inevitable sequel.

The tone of the movie was serious, but not emo and super sad like the critics say. I think critics are just way too used to the somewhat lightheartedness of Marvel movies, especially Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark. If you're one of the many that were disappointed with Iron Man 3 because there was too much Tony Stark being a detective or whatever and not enough Iron Man, then you'll love and appreciate Man of Steel.

Ending of the movie was a bit shocking to me, but I definitely didn't hate it. All in all, the BEST movie of the summer for me. The critics' ratings for this movie pretty much solidifies my theory that they generally can't be trusted except for maybe comedies and Oscar type movies. I think critics liked Superman Returns because it reminded them of Superman I and II and they liked Iron Man 3 because they like them some Robert Downey Jr. If you want to look at ratings for summer blockbusters, then go look at the user scores. Currently 8.7 for Man of Steel and 6.6 for Iron Man 3. Enough said.

P.S. If you can, then watch the movie in IMAX like I did. NOT IMAX 3D or regular 3D. Always thought 3D was pointless and just not good, realistic enough. IMAX does somewhat enhance the overall clarity of watching an action movie and the sound is better.
  59. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel- one of the best superhero movies ever! It's all we have been waiting for. The new take of Superman and Clark is convincing. Henry Cavill IS the Superman of our generation. He and the rest of crews did a great job! As for the action and the music, EPIC!!!!!! I've already watched it twice since Wednesday. I love it so much!! Expand
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    As a lifelong fan of Superman I had been waiting for a movie which captured the character I saw in my head when reading a Superman comic. The Donner films were great, don't get me wrong, but that was silver age Superman. Where was the post-crisis, Byrne Superman. Thanks to Zack Snyder, Henry Cavill and company I now have my Superman. The cast was spot on in their interpretation and despite what some "professional" critics claim the character development was was engaging. I absolutely can't wait to see where the story goes from here. Congratulations to all involved, to you I tip my hat and offer a very gracious Thank You. Expand
  61. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie was truly fantastic. The common grievances regarding too many stories packed into one film are legitimate which is what holds this review back. But truth be told, the movie was a fantastic re-imagining of the series. The DC universe is being made darker and people should be prepared for that going into the movie. If you, like many critics, are going in expecting charming "save my cat, mister" or Christopher Reeve-era Superman then you are looking for a different movie and should readjust your expectations. This is an impressive film that explores a truly "human" alien and his evolution into a new version of the shining light we all know and love. It's a new Superman for a new age. Bring on the sequel, Snyder and Goyer! Expand
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    Superman has been redeemed.... It explained the story of superman origin so well and the action scenes were so well done! If you haven't seem it already I recommend you do so as soon as possible!! Well done Snyder well done...
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    Re-boot in every way imaginable. I found it quite enjoyable although slow in some parts. The action sequences were particularly entertaining. The story of Superman being a MAN and his relationship with both sets of parents was done very well. Although traditional Superman fans may disagree with changes to Kal/Clarks story and other characters, I believe it made this version better and fresh.
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    A very good movie. Yes it has a lot of action near the end, however the same can be said about The Avengers. CGI is used a lot, but that is because it is to support the fact that these are aliens that are fighting, not real people. These were clearly shown in the trailer. If you loved the trailers, then you would know that there is a lot of action scenes and CGI used. Character development is really focused on Superman, Jonathan Kent and Jor El. Superb acting from Henry Cavill, Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe and surprisingly, Amy Adams. I had my doubts about her, but she did an amazing job as Lois. This is not a throwback to the old Superman movies. You must accept it like Batman Begins, an origin story that is much different than what you are used to. The only problem comes from the fact that we didn't really understand Clark's struggle as an adult like we did with Bruce in Batman Begins. They could have explored it further. The story was great for what it was. I think that now that we have characters set up, we can expect an even better sequel. It might not have lived to the hype for some, but there is no argument that this was a great movie. Especially when compared to Superman 3,4, and Returns. I think it is on the same level as Superman 2. Some could argue that it is better. Just watch the movie and prepare to be amazed. Expand
  65. Jun 18, 2013
    You can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of that darkness. Its a darker, smarter, and brilliant Superman and superhero film. Zack Snyder wouldnt have be my first choice for this film, but took what he had and used it well. I think what really offputs critics and viewers was the use of Nolans (The director of The Dark Knight franchise) name in the film. I think alot expected to see a brilliant witty and twisty dark film, but were instead given a brilliant Superman film. Superman is not Batman, and never will be. In my view, this is just a start in what will be an amazing new imagining of the Man of Steel. Expand
  66. Jun 21, 2013
    Christopher Nolan and Zack need to do more films together. With Nolan dealing with the writing and Zack dealing with the directing they could go really far. This was a superman movie with no generic kryptonite weaknesses or corny lines but one that was actually serious
  67. Jun 21, 2013
    This for me was a four star movie. I will admit I went in expecting to like it but that has never made me bias, example Iron Man 3, or The Amazing Spiderman. This movie delivers from start to finish. The story is fast paced and for being 2 hours and 23 mins it flies by so fast I couldn't believe when it was over. There are certain characters that are not given the time they deserve but I feel it all made sense for the story. This isn't your Richard Donner Superman movie, this is Superman in the real world. When he is discovered things move fast and with the arrival of Gerneral Zod things really pick up. There is plenty of development of Clark, and General Zod is a creepily good character. The real surprise for me was Russell Crowe, Jor-El was given an excellent role and his character was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Like I said not all characters get great attention, like Perry White, but I feel that we will get that in the next movie. The ending of the movie sets up the next ones perfectly and I left truly excited to see more. The movie is action heavy, and it has awesome set pieces and the special effects are truly spectacular. If your looking for your family style happy go lucky Superman movie this isn't it. If your looking for a great Superman movie that taps into the full potential of this great iconic character this movie is exactly what your looking for. Could there be improvements made? Yes, Does that effect the quality of the movie, absolutely not. I don't think I really could've enjoyed this movie anymore than I did. Expand
  68. Jun 21, 2013
    Man of Steel was not what I expected it to be. Snyder and Nolan took a huge risk but I think it may have been well worth it. Many people complain and compare these superhero films to their comic book counterparts (which I never do). It is nearly a known fact that text sources are substantially greater than anything a film studio could ever compile. As a film, Man of Steel has a well developed plot which isn't too complicated along with what many may call "excess" action. Cavill and Adams have good chemistry as Clark and Lois which I hope may develop more in the following films. Overall, the film was great but there is some room for improvement for the next films. Expand
  69. Jun 14, 2013
    This film explored the emotional issues of Kal-El very nicely. This is a signature mark of crafting by the awesome producer, Nolan. Somehow, the interaction between the alien world and humanity is a little less entertaining. This story can be hard to adapt to more realistic terms like Batman so, do not expect that. I'm not a big fan of Snyder. His vision doesn't bringing to life the challenges that Superman faces. Expand
  70. Jun 17, 2013
    I judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deep story, mostly stuff exploding for half the movie. The screenplay is particularly inept, it tries to cram so many insignificant details (do we absolutely need to know what the codex thingy came from or look like for example...) at the expense of smooth transitions (scenes can literally jump from two people in a room to them standing in the desert), character development (the characters are cardboard cut outs, and no, 3 flashbacks of 5 mins are not enough to actually flesh out a character sorry), and most importantly storytelling: indeed the whole movie is constructed like one giant exposition, you spend most of the time catching up on things that already happened instead of having the story naturally unfold before you, and it's not a particularly interesting or original one at that. So in conclusion, my hat's off to the marketing team, because they did a hell of a job hyping up this movie and making it look like something worthy of interest, I just wish the actual filmmakers could have been as competent as them. Expand
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    Quick Review: Compared to Dark Knight series, not as good. Plain and simple. Lois Lane is annoying, and if she was not in the movie, the plot would have been exactly the same. One point of the movie Lois Lane's boss is trying to save an intern that the audience has no idea who she is, nor does the audience care for them, and it is just a stupid scene. There are plenty of awesome action scenes in this movie, but if you want to see this movie because of the story, you are going to leave the theater empty handed. Expand
  72. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one word that best describes this movie. Disappointing.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie. It's actually quite good. The issue is that this movie was meant to be a revival for the Superman franchise, one that excited its audience and built a lot of anticipation for a soon to follow sequel. Instead, it just acts as another normal superhero movie. That's all.

There are a
    few things that are outstanding in this movie. For example, the sound design is amazing. Everything from the music to the sound of buildings collapsing and lasers firing was spot on. It really helped to add more depth to the action scenes, which were numerous and awesome. This, however, is one of the issues with the movie. There are way too many actions scenes. It's odd, really. Usually one would think that the point of an action movie is to have a lot of action all the time. However, Man of Steel just takes it way too far. The basic formula of the movie is actions, flashback, action, flashback, action, flashback, so on and so forth. It got to the point where the action scenes began to bore me, which is never a good thing.

Another flaw with this movie was the acting, which was at times laughable, especially due to some rather awkward one liners, such as "evolution always wins". This is more a gripe with the movie and less an actual complaint, but it is something I noticed.

The other minor issues involve spoilers, so I won't bother.

All in all, the movie is definitely worth seeing. It is a good movie, no doubt, hence the score of a 7. It just doesn't quite live up to the quality of other movies in the same genre.
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    Just going to say it was an okay movie. I had a high expectation with man of steel but this movie is good to see it once, and i say that because story line was confusing, boring and the actors were bad. especially The actress who play luis clark amy Adams) i almost slept the whole movie. But the positive part about the movie is the action. The fighting part got me awake and got me interested. it was good. other than that my last sentence to say is that man of steel movie was okay.. I would only see the movie once, to only see superman but to be honest NO DC comic Super hero Movie can top the batman movie the Dark knight. Thats why i gave it a 6 Expand
  74. Jun 17, 2013
    Esta película es fantástica los efectos especiales son espectaculares la lucha impresionante es genial Snyder.

Muy de la Justice League

Viva Man of Steel
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    Awesooooooooooooooooooooome *_*

This film is just perfect

You could not ask for a better man of steel or to launch the project justice League

I dream since childhood

Snyder makes my dream I love you
  76. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel delivers the beginning of something greater, I couldn't ask for anything more from a origin story. The building blocks are in place for the DC Universe to expand upon.

Stunning, Amazing, Beautiful, Exhilarating!

MASTERPIECE
  77. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've now watched the film 3 times... After the initial trailers hit the screen I couldn't wait to see it but I have to admit after the first viewing I felt a little disappointed and a bit cheated However, on viewing it a second time... What can I say... The sound track was the first thing I noticed and it frankly blew me away finally we can move on from Mr Williams wee tune. My thoughts regarding the film are probably best summed up in the following review http://screenrant.com/man-of-steel-reviews-2013-superman/ Expand
  78. Jun 18, 2013
    I have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with some pretty important works and just totally blows it. 4/10 Expand
  79. Jan 30, 2014
    If this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached to forced drama, and a lot of other crap that fools the dumb popcorn eating masses into thinking it is good.
  80. Jun 23, 2013
    I usually don't write reviews, but I had to warn you.
    I'm not one of those snobs who can't enjoy a summer flick, and some of my favorite movies are not academy-award material. But this movie is the first to make me it was such a stupid waste of time, that I left the cinema with my friends.

The movie just takes itself too seriously and ends up not being fun. It's like watching a kid
    telling you a simple story, while being all serious and so sure it's the greatest most important story in the world.

The dramatic scenes, which could have been the highlight of the movie, are cut too short for the effect to hold. It seems Snyder was worried his audience will get bored by actual story and just cut it down to a minimum in a way which, frankly, was insulting. It's like watching a movie with ADHD.

The bit of story that did make it in, is full of absolutely idiotic holes, and the characters are flat and undeveloped. I wish I could give you examples without spoiling the movie, but I can't. I can just say that I was laughing occasionally because it was so ridiculous and poorly written. So many "come on!" and "Are you serious" moments. Most characters act out of whim, are totally irrational and they all feel like they are still in junior high.

And the love story? Twilight fans should be pleased, because we finally found a movie with a worse love story. In this movie, there is simply no story. There's no love, and then there is, just like that with barely any justification.

The action sequences are terribly long and overdone, as if a little kid took control over the CGI studio and forced them to put his wildest fantasies into the movie. The action was rare and when it did arrive, it was way too much and not really fun. The visuals were very professional but lacked soul, ranging from generic computer game look to a terrible Instagram palette. Honestly, it was disappointing and not worth the price of admission.

Eventually, during the great (boring to tears) finale, me and my friends realized we're not that target audience (We are a group of 24-30 years old). But knowing myself, I wouldn't have enjoyed this whimsical movie even at age 10. It's just not fun. We left and got something to eat instead.

I realize there are a lot of fans out there, so before you send me any hate mail, just remember it's a matter of opinion. I found this movie to be a terrible experience for intelligent adults, but that's not a universal fact. It's just an opinion!
  81. Jun 15, 2013
    “Man of Steel” could have/should have been called “Superman: Everything You Know About Him, Everything You Don’t Know About Him Along With Many Things You Didn’t Want To Or Need To Know About Him!” Should you be familiar with the comic book Superman or his many TV shows and movies the only reason for seeing this movie is to feast your eyes on a new, hunky, extremely well built, dazzling actor, named Henry Cavill, who flies into stardom with this role which will lead to interesting comparisons of Cavill versus Christopher Reeve. Along those lines I can picture a panel at a future Superman convention not only discussing the Supermans but Margot Kidder versus Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Marlon Brando versus Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Phyllis Thaxter, Eva Marie Saint versus Diane Lane as Martha Kent and who would win as the better adopted father Glenn Ford or Kevin Costner, the latter in the latest version. Perry White has gone from Jackie Cooper to Frank Langella and now Laurence Fishburne not to forget the question of how does the latest film score by Hans Zimmer stand up against John Williams scores?

The Superman movies have never been known for memorable villains, say like Batman, and Michael Shannon, also from the planet Krypton, does a good job but he is over- shadowed by the mayhem that ensues his battle against Superman. The last hour is glass shattering, cars being tossed around and crushed, buildings being destroyed, shootings, killings and all that makes a movie soar during the summer and it isn’t even summer yet!

After seeing “Iron Man 3”, “Oblivion”, “Fast and Furious 6”, “Star Trek Into Darkness” and now “Man of Steel” there isn’t much in the way of CGI effects that the remaining ‘blockbusters’ can offer so, unless you are a glutton for punishment you can avoid “After Earth”, “World War Z”, “Elysium” and “White House Down” just to name a few.

There is nothing wrong with “Man Of Steel”, except its 2 hour and 23 minutes running time, but there is nothing new in the screenplay by David S. Goyer while the direction is pedestrian. The film goes back and forth between Superman’s childhood on the planet Kyrpton, his being a child in Kansas and the present day. All the actors do good jobs and the film will definitely make Henry Cavill a star. Did I mention how well Superman’s outfit fits him? Or how hunky he looks bare chested?

Oh yes, a reason for seeing this movie may be that you don’t know what you think is an S on his costume and if Lois Lane knows who Superman is. You may or may not know the answer to the first and you may not be sure of the answer to the second but do you really want to know?
  82. Jun 21, 2013
    Not gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in that THEY'RE MORONS. The plot is soooo freaking cliche and boring, everyone but superman is poorly developed (if at all) and acting abounds. The fights are lame and somehow less interesting than those in Transformers 3. I really don't see how anyone likes this movie and there's already a sequel in the works so perhaps next time we'll get a good villain and a good actor to play him unlike this time around... Expand
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    I rewatched superman returns and i gave it another try..i have to admit i was tired when i first tried it..its not the terrible mess its portrayed as...
  84. Jun 21, 2013
    Produced on a $225 million budget, the special effects are the only thing that impress. At least at the beginning. After the 597th explosion and the 245th fighting scene you just get bored of all the noise and the visual effects that try to be realistic but are just too big to look in any way compelling. Little dialogue and even less story just give the film the last "kick in the ass". I seriously tried to be impressed, to be thrilled but by any means I was bound to fail! Expand
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    The Good: Occasional realism, and I repeat... OCCASIONAL. Cool special effects. The Bad: Bad Actors, plot scenes that should be rushed are dragged, and plot scenes that should be taken slower are rushed. Overall, I it's clear by watching the movie what Nolan was "trying" to do, and for that I applaud him... But somewhere it all got lost. I really wanted this movie to be the best, unfortunately it is an OK movie. I think the main flaw of the movie is the bad acting, and the plot rushes... Expand
  86. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was quite enjoyable. I think that indeed it was the best superman movie to be created and didn't have very many plot holes in it as some previous superman movies had. It was very different from the same old telling of superman: Start with him being shot off of Krypton, have him grow up, learning his abilities one by one, then killing Lex Luther in the end. No, it was very different from that (not going to spoil). I enjoy at the beginning how Krypton was a war torn world instead of a heaven like planet. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning and the end of the movie. The middle was alright so that is why I give this movie a 7/10, Expand
  87. Jun 21, 2013
    I don't know what it was, but it wasn't Superman I know and love. It felt more like space alien invasion movie than Superman movie. Stupid soulless action movie without any real contents.
  88. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a total disappointment on every level. Perhaps my expectations were too high knowing it was made by the same people as 300 and Dark Knight. The preview was better than the movie.
  89. Jun 17, 2013
    As a long time Superman fan I had great hopes and expectations for this film. I was very disappointed with this film. Superman: The Man of Steel is NOT a good Superman film; it's not even a good movie. I could go on and write a short story length review of this film and list what's wrong with it but instead I'll just get to the main points. First, Zack Snyder was a poor choice for director (where is Richard Donner when you need him?). He is NOT the right director for the character of Superman. He was great for Watchman but Superman is not anything like WATCHMEN. Second, the score was AWFUL! There are no discernible themes for anything in this movie. Thirdly, the action scenes were WAY over the top and just ridiculous. This movie was so bad it makes Superman Returns look like a classic and Superman:The Movie look like the best movie of human history (which it almost is!). Bottom line: don't waste you time on this piece of cinematic garbage. Especially if you are a fan of Superman. You WILL be disappointed. I only hope this movie fails to meet the studio's expectations so we don't see anymore of these abominations!! Expand
  90. Jun 19, 2013
    Lifeless product. Not the loving film we deserve for time and money. Thirty years from now, no one will cite this film as an example of good film making, but Richard Donner's Superman will always be remembered.
  91. Jun 28, 2013
    Disappointing. One of the most unimaginative creations to come out of Hollywood in a long time. Special effects distracted from what story there was. Minimal character development. Plenty of explosions, weapons and fistfights, though. I wondered frequently throughout if I was actually watching a "Superman" movie.
  92. Jun 21, 2013
    “Man of Steel” is, as everyone knows, the new Warner Bros. entry using this previously tried and true franchise about the native from the planet Krypton who finds a new home on Earth. Unfortunately, wearing a cape and an S on the front of his shirt is where the similarity ends. Starring Henry Cavill in the title role (an intentional Chrstopher Reeve look-alike), the film also boasts of a cast consisting of Kevin Kostner, Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishbourne and Michael Shannon. Directed by Zack Snyder and co-written by Christopher Nolan and David Geyer, the failure for the film to work must rest with one or all of the aforementioned gentlemen.. Certainly the writing is the main culprit with a plot that is too complicated and a story that lacks total credibility. As a result, the viewing experience is deeply marred by this overly long movie.. The film’s action scenes are excessive and don’t allow for the story, what there is of it, to be told. Being a fan of the old Superman comics and films, I found this movie to do a tremendous disservice to the property and the image of this almost legendary and timeless superhero. I give the film a 5 because it just doesn”t live up to the potential and hype which preceded its opening day. Expand
  93. Jun 22, 2013
    Man of Steel is a new reboot for the next Superman series which was done by director, Zack Snyder and the production was hold by Christopher Nolan after he accomplished his Dark Knight trilogy. Before I discuss about the new reboot, this movie is very different like most other classic Superman films. Superman and Superman II are very memorable and most other three Superman movies are quite disappointing and pretty weak. I would say that the movie is very underwhelming. The new story is about Jor-El (Russell Crowe) from Krypton is sending his son Kal-El (known as Clark Kent/Superman) to the planet Earth, which he'll turn into a super strength superhero with energy source, until General Zod (Michael Shannon) will capture the son and the planet Krypton is been destroyed. After that, the son grows up as a new Superman (Henry Cavill) to fight over General Zod and his men to destruct the entire world. As a follow up like most other Superman movies, this movie is pretty weak. The situation is that the story is too complex with too many cut scenes, the acting wasn't that great, and the plot is too rushed. The characters are also forgettable and I would say that the Superman movies or the animated series from the 90's are well done with memorable characters, take time with their motivation, and acting is good. But the new characters in this reboot are too cliché with throwing too much stereotypes into a wooden dialogues. Henry Cavill portrays the new Superman is okay, but not that memorable and this protagonist is an obvious hero who is here to find some answers and act like he is brave or what? There is an obvious Lois Lane (Amy Adams), there is an obvious military soldiers, there is an obvious henchmen, and there is an obvious people from the city or in the small town of Smallville. That is except for two characters like Jor-El play by Russell Crowe and General Zod play by Michael Shannon. Russell Crowe did very well as the father of Superman with good character development and some good back story about him. Michael Shannon is having fun for playing the over the top villain and acting like Terrence Stamp's performance. But like I say the story and the characters are kind of bland and too forgettable. The movie is not that horrible or bad, it's just that the movie is too underwhelm with confusing back stories, the shaky cams are too fast, and the characters are pretty weak. At the same time, this movie is a minuscule of average superhero flicks. Thumbs Down. Expand
  94. Jun 15, 2013
    While Man of Steel promises to have a good story and characters instead we get a lot of action and not enough story. Had the film given us a more character driven film and focused less on the action we could have really had something great here. As it is Man of Steel is good. It has some fun action, some epic moments, and a couple nice character moments. While it may not have wowed me as much as I thought it was it did keep me more engaged than Superman Returns. If you are a fan of action movies and just want to see Superman beat the sh*t out of guys for the majority of the movie, or at least it feels like it, I think you will enjoy Superman. If you are looking for a more character driven superhero movie then go watch X-Men,Spider-Man 2,The Dark Knight Trilogy, and Superman I & II and even to a certain extent Superman Returns, which while lacking in action does have a story. As it is though Man of Steel is entertaining with enough action, epicness, and character development to make it worth a watch for any superhero fan. Expand
  95. Jun 29, 2013
    Hmm. A mixed bag, this one. The Lord of the Rings style Krypton in the Prologue came as a bit of surprise but not an unwelcome one. The film really came alive, however, once baby Kal-El made it to earth. The growing pains and adoption issues of the first act were beautifully handled and the relationship between Clark and his (human) father and mother was really very touching. But then... well. What happenedin the next two acts? I'll tell you what happened. What happened was that chauvanist arse of an executive producer, Jon Peters (ex-hairdresser to Barbara Streisand) finally got his way after trying to screw up the Superman franchise with his lame-ass, ill-conceived ideas and lack of any real love for the Superman mythology. Peters has wanted for years to re-jig Superman's suit ("too apparently) and have Kryptonians bashing the hell out of each other (and Kansas... and Metropolis...) for a whole hour or more of my (and your) paid-for cinema-going time. The second and third acts of this film are like Independence Day kicking seven bells out of Battleship while Transformers stamps on the Matrix Revolutions' head. This might be a 14 year old boy's idea of a good movie. But it ain't mine. Come back Bryan Singer, all is forgiven. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Henry Cavill is the one major thing that makes this movie worth seeing. He’s vulnerable, but when the scene warrants it, he somehow brings exactly the amount of intimidating gravitas needed. For that reason, the interrogation scene with Lois at the mid-way point of the flick is easily my favorite it’s the moment that ultimately sold me on Cavill in the role. In that scene Kal-El is respectful, but he also carries himself in such a way that it makes you believe it when it’s noted that the military could never even hope to control him. To me, he is utterly believable, and a worthy successor to Christopher Reeve.

Despite being a glorified Jedi Knight, Russell Crowe made a decent father figure for Kal-El. The amount of screen time he had after being murdered was actually rather startling. No doubt because “Russell Crowe”.

I’m not entirely familiar with Michael Shannon, but as a bad guy he did his job proper as the Shouty Evil Madman. He’s no Terence Stamp, but this a different Khan. I mean Zod.

The rest of the cast was pretty much transparent. Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane seem to exist only to fill the required spaces in the script. None of them brings anything especially memorable to the table. I don’t blame them, as actors, because that’s reflective of the movie in general aside from plot issues, this version of Superman’s world is as dry as a saltine. In contrast, Margot Kidder and Jackie Cooper had immense personality. These same characters in the Man of Steel universe are largely forgettable.

Much like Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel starts out pretty good, and then around the half-way point, things just begin falling apart. Once Zod re-enters the story, the whole thing descends into an almost endless sequence of fighting, explosions, and raw carnage.

Honestly, I’m half surprised Michael Bay didn’t get an Executive Producer credit.

During the numerous battles, Superman takes absolutely no care to keep people from getting killed…until it’s time for his close up at the end, of course. We see him purposely thrust his foes violently through seemingly occupied office buildings and causing gas pumps to explode. This version of Superman, at this point in his life, simply does not give an actual ****

If this was woven into a larger narrative about the consequences of unchecked power a hard, guilt-fueled lesson for Kal-El to learn this might almost be forgivable. But it’s never addressed, and nobody even blinks.

On one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed the exploration of the vulnerable Kal-El an outsider dealing with heavy childhood issues, raised in a harsh world not his own. But on the other hand, it really needed some moments of levity to balance things out. The movie is so friggin’ deadpan. I’m not asking for comedy, just a little something to take off the edge.

Because of this, it’s not fun. Batman is the one who’s story is supposed to be grim and serious. The flick only really loosens it’s sphincter at the very end, with the female soldier noting how hot Superman was. I let loose a small smirk finally but it was too little, too late.

On a more practical level, visually, the special effects are nearly flawless (but in 2013 that’s to be expected nowadays, movies can no longer coast on amazing visuals alone). But those visuals are bogged down by that dark, depressing, gritty, undersaturated, high-contrast, usually blue-tinted tone present in so many movies of this era. The “shakycam” look got tiresome pretty quick, as well.

The style might have worked if it was just limited to the childhood flashbacks, but it’s used everywhere. At the very least, the style matches the tone of the movie. But that’s definitely not a complement.

There was a lot of potential for something seriously great here, and we may, some day, see such a movie. A sequel with a better story, starring Cavill, could easily hit it out of the park if done right… but as it is, this was an ominous start to DC’s multi-film “Get Us Some of That Sweet Marvel Movie Cash” arc.

Worse, this movie seriously damages my optimism for the inevitable Justice League movie, and as a guy who tends to enjoy DC comics characters more than Marvel, that hurts quite a bit.
  97. Jun 17, 2013
    Terrible movie. It's more a "War of Worlds" and "Independance Day" than a Superman movie. You see more shooting, close combat, spacebattle and explosions than actually the main character evolving in the story. The medieval appeal of the Krypton doesn't fit at all my view of the home world of Superman. Sure, it was formed by the first movie from the late 70's but flying on dragons is something I wouldn't expect from Superman's father. It felt a bit like "Game of the thrones". Sure, the special effects are nice but the story suffers a lot. Expand
  98. Jun 27, 2013
    this is not an origin story. they do the origin of krypton but everything else is a flash back. the moment where clark realises who he is is not even portrayed with any significance. this movie is one very expensively done saturday morming cartoon drama.
  99. Jun 23, 2013
    Terrible. Plot holes throughout. Then scenes where they do something that makes no sense just to keep the weak plot moving. This is not a good movie. The special effects were good, but the story just ruins it. Seriously, at one point Superman is being beaten, with no hope to win, then he just wins. That happens like 4 times in the movie. I know it's science fiction, but give me something at least somewhat believable. Expand
  100. Dec 16, 2013
    It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
    He wears a giant S on his
    CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
    This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
    That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
    Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
    The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
    The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.