7.6

1. Jun 15, 2013
    This is an epic, action adventure tale of one of comics finest heroes, and Snyder and Nolan have presented him in fine form. For years fans have been clamoring for a Superman film that adequately presented the character and presented him with the formidable challenges he would experience in the pages of the storied comic book series and now they have that Superman on film. While manyThis is an epic, action adventure tale of one of comics finest heroes, and Snyder and Nolan have presented him in fine form. For years fans have been clamoring for a Superman film that adequately presented the character and presented him with the formidable challenges he would experience in the pages of the storied comic book series and now they have that Superman on film. While many people consider the first Christopher Reeve Richard Donner film to be the 'genuine article' when it comes to seeing this character on film, they fail to realize that within the pages of the comic lies the TRUE Superman he has had many arcs told presenting many different sides to his personality, and one of the biggest criticisms of this film that it is too dark has also been portrayed within the pages of the comics from which he was born. The entire 'Death of Superman' storyline gave a dark gravitas and weight to the character and thrust him into more modern times. So why so upset that this film takes a more 'serious' approach to the story of Kal El Clark Kent? Perhaps it's that most critics still revel in the joy of the first true superhero movie made by Reeve Donner so long ago that they have skipped decades of comics which flesh the character out in a more serious and somber tone more often than people would think. If you are unwilling to accept this fact, that Man of Steel is a modern, real, and serious take on this character, then you should own the first two Superman films on Blu-ray and maybe read some of his comics...you might be surprised with what you find.

The acting is outstanding with notable performances from Amy Adams and Kevin Costner. When Costner's Jonathan Kent tells a confused and lonely Clark that he will always be his son you believe it the weight of emotion on his face showing feelings many a parent has often felt. The other actors and actresses do a fine job, Russell Crowe putting in a note worthy performance as Jor El, brilliant Kryptonian scientist and father to Superman. We get more of Jor El in this film than previous incarnations, and this may be the 'definitive article' when it comes to this character appearing on screen. Crowe gives an outstanding performance as a father driven to protect his child, while preserving the legacy of his dying world. The same can be said for Michael Shannon. His turn as the Kryptonian General Zod provides an element missing in the character, and not necessarily cannon in the lore of Superman empathy. He is on a race to save his people and his planet, and while his actions are deplorable, his expressed reasons make you empathize with him...even if only momentarily...and Shannon brings this emotional core to light.

Henry Cavill the man was BORN to play Superman. Simply put, here is an actor whose skills have yet to be truly tested, and if I have one complaint about this film it is this we don't get enough dialogue from the Man of Steel. But what Cavill does have he executes with a calm, strong, centered reserve. Loneliness, isolationism, bullying, and a commitment to just and moral action are all themes this version of Superman embody and Cavill does a great job bringing these emotions to the screen. With the success of this film assured, and a sequel already green lit by Warner Brothers, Cavill's rise to fame is just beginning, and it will be this film that marks the breakaway point of an already well established acting career.

Bottom line this is a modern day take on a classic hero. And it's one that many fans have been waiting a long time for. While the Christopher Reeve era Superman was a character that embodied hope and was lighthearted in scope, this is a Superman that is more rounded in modern day society we all feel loneliness and yearn for acceptance in a society that is less personal that the one that accepted Superman on the big screen so long ago. The Superman we have now, may in fact be more human than ever before, and this story is a fitting first chapter in what is surely going to be a multiple film arc for the character. Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan have all done a remarkable job and I for one am looking forward to the stories they will bring us in the forthcoming chapter of the life of Kal El. Welcome back Superman it's a changed world, but then you have changed with us. All told we're very glad you're here.
  2. Jun 21, 2013
    This for me was a four star movie. I will admit I went in expecting to like it but that has never made me bias, example Iron Man 3, or The Amazing Spiderman. This movie delivers from start to finish. The story is fast paced and for being 2 hours and 23 mins it flies by so fast I couldn't believe when it was over. There are certain characters that are not given the time they deserve but IThis for me was a four star movie. I will admit I went in expecting to like it but that has never made me bias, example Iron Man 3, or The Amazing Spiderman. This movie delivers from start to finish. The story is fast paced and for being 2 hours and 23 mins it flies by so fast I couldn't believe when it was over. There are certain characters that are not given the time they deserve but I feel it all made sense for the story. This isn't your Richard Donner Superman movie, this is Superman in the real world. When he is discovered things move fast and with the arrival of Gerneral Zod things really pick up. There is plenty of development of Clark, and General Zod is a creepily good character. The real surprise for me was Russell Crowe, Jor-El was given an excellent role and his character was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Like I said not all characters get great attention, like Perry White, but I feel that we will get that in the next movie. The ending of the movie sets up the next ones perfectly and I left truly excited to see more. The movie is action heavy, and it has awesome set pieces and the special effects are truly spectacular. If your looking for your family style happy go lucky Superman movie this isn't it. If your looking for a great Superman movie that taps into the full potential of this great iconic character this movie is exactly what your looking for. Could there be improvements made? Yes, Does that effect the quality of the movie, absolutely not. I don't think I really could've enjoyed this movie anymore than I did. Expand
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    The opening sequence on Krypton is quite spectacular with some truly stunning CGI and some great dialogue. It sets the scene for the entire story and I think it was just about as perfect a beginning we could possibly have had. We then come down to earth (literally) where we find Clark Kent discovering who he is and coming to terms with his powers and what a responsibility that places onThe opening sequence on Krypton is quite spectacular with some truly stunning CGI and some great dialogue. It sets the scene for the entire story and I think it was just about as perfect a beginning we could possibly have had. We then come down to earth (literally) where we find Clark Kent discovering who he is and coming to terms with his powers and what a responsibility that places on his shoulders. Much of this is told in flashback with some great fatherly advice from Kevin Costner. It’s a section of the film that may have lost some (probably due to the lack of explosions) but I really enjoyed it as it gives us a chance to get to know what motivates Clark/Superman, and just what makes him a superhero. The third act, however, is where I had the most trouble. The plot wasn’t hard to follow and the acting was great, particularly Michael Shannon, no, all that was great. The problem was with the fight scenes; why is it necessary to topple skyscrapers and destroy entire city blocks. It put me in mind of climactic battle in ‘The Avengers’ movie; I had the distinct impression I had seen it all before. Yes, it was quite a spectacle but I would have liked something a little more original. But don’t let that distract from the fact it is still a very good film and one I would happily watch again. Top performances, well everybody really but Michael Shannon really does stand out; definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    The movie was awesome, to say it was a bore you simply aren't a superman fan, excellent job, I hate how critics act like every movie has to have corny jokes, it had a fitting serious tone.
  5. Jul 10, 2013
    I had doubts for Man of Steel since Superman IV was um, extreme crap. But once again I was proved wrong. Man of Steel is bulked with action and mastered its purpose, kudos to you Zack.
  6. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel isn't perfect, but it is a great time. The first half is my favorite that is where you get the character development and through all the flashbacks I got emotionally investeted. The second half with all the big action scenes took me away from it a little, but I can't wait for part two.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    Nolan and Snyder complete yourself in that new masterpiece.The action is amazing and the gladiator too.
    amy adams is a brilhant lois lane,and shanon is the worst man of krypton.
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Loved it. It wasn't a rehash of the older Superman movies and it does a pretty good job of starting off a new franchise. There were some bumps in the story and there was a excess in action, but otherwise I had a ton of fun. It just may be one of my favorite comic book movies yet!
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values andI believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values and stoicism.
    And the movie showcases Superman's powers better than any ever has. His flight, strength, and heat vision are exactly what I'd expect in real life. The destruction when beings with these powers fight would be ridiculous.
    Man of Steel does a good job of feeling like it could occupy the same universe as the Dark Knight movies. And unlike The Marvel movies, it takes an unrealistic character and doesn't turn him into a caricature.
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    A+. Critics are wrong this is really good. First off Superman Returns sucked period. This movie was way better. These critics are idiotic snobs, I mean seriously the loved that pile of crap called Superman Returns more than this movie. I don't know how that is possible they are blind or maybe saw Superman Returns of the first time.

Everyone in this movie, except the young Henry Cavill,

Everyone in this movie, except the young Henry Cavill, is an oscar winner or nominee and it shows, acting superb. Henry is the perfect Superman.

Action is amazing and engaging. Yes it's all huge and you might get sensory overload but the amazing thing is, I didn't take my eyes off the screen the whole time it was happening. This story was well written, everything happened for a reason and was had a purpose.

I saw in 3D, I didn't really see anything popping out of the screen, but I have glasses and have to wear 3D glasses on top maybe that messed it up. My friends thought the 3D was amazing he swore hey saw stuff flying out of the screen. So the 3D in my view is a little mixed.

I will watch this 2 more times, once in IMAX and once more in big 2D screen.

A+.
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    Personally, I hate critics. Screw 'em!

If you are a fan of movies, you owe it to yourself to see Man of Steel! Granted I am a huge fan of Superman, but Man of Steel may very well be the best movie I have ever seen! Considering movies like Nolan’s “The Dark Knight”, Peter Jackson’s third installment in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, “Return of the King” and Whedon’s “The Avengers” top
    Personally, I hate critics. Screw 'em!

If you are a fan of movies, you owe it to yourself to see Man of Steel!

Granted I am a huge fan of Superman, but Man of Steel may very well be the best movie I have ever seen! Considering movies like Nolan’s “The Dark Knight”, Peter Jackson’s third installment in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, “Return of the King” and Whedon’s “The Avengers” top that list, that’s saying a ton!

What Zack Snyder has done with this film is “genius”! This is such a grand movie, yet nothing feels forced or exaggerated. Everything is given to you in exactly the right dosage. You aren’t force-fed action like in other summer blockbusters. In Man of Steel, the action feels natural as if it is part of a story being told. Imagine that!

The origin story is there, but it isn’t too much that it bores you tears and Snyder goes about it all in precisely the right manner through flashbacks. This way, you get the gist of how Clark came to be the man he is, without the movie needing to be longer than it has to.

All the actors/actresses do a fantastic job in their particular roles and help the movie to do what it is supposed to do: tell a story. While I’m still adjusting to a fair-haired Amy Adams in the role of Lois Lane, I can say that I left the theater content with her performance. She really grew on me by the time it was all said and done.

Growing up as a huge Smallville fan, I was convinced that nobody could do the role of Clark justice after Tom Welling. While Brandon Routh fit the role physically in Superman Returns, he was just too stiff and too much of a Christopher Reeves knockoff to leave me satisfied. I’m not saying Reeves was bad in the role (quite the contrary), I just would have preferred it if Routh had brought something he could call his own to the role.

That’s where Henry Cavill comes in! The best way I can put his performance is this he owned the role! You know how it goes. Often times you’ve seen an actor or actress star in an iconic role, only to be dissatisfied with the choice after seeing the movie (or perhaps before and after). With Henry Cavill, I can say this, “Henry Cavill is Superman!”

The whole time while watching the Man of Steel, I felt as if Cavill was truly an outsider from another planet. And, I mean that in the highest regard! Movies are often about the suspension of disbelief and we as moviegoers sometimes need a little push in the right direction. Cavill’s performance did that for me. The fact that the guy looks like he trained day and night nonstop tells you all you need to know about his dedication to the role. Kudos Henry!

The special effects didn’t hurt either. As far as cutting-edge special effects go, this movie has it in spades! By far the best special effects I’ve seen in any movie to date…hands down! Better than Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Matrix, Avatar or any of the Marvel movies, including The Avengers! Words cannot describe them, particularly the Metropolis battle scene! Truly epic!

Speaking of battles, the fight between Supes and two notorious Kryptonians (once seen in another of the Big Blue Boyscout’s movies) was in essence, borderline orgasmic! That battle seen alone was worth the price of the movie’s admission!...And Man of Steel still had plenty left in reserve.

Let’s face it; we don’t go to movies about comic book heroes to be bored to death by dialogue. We want action and suspense to go along with a good, relatively fast-paced story. In Man of Steel you get that!

It currently is and will be by summer’s end, the biggest and best movie you will see. Mark my words!

So do yourself a favor and don’t walk, but run to your local movie theater! You need to see this on the big screen and I promise you, you will not leave the theater disappointed. If you do, then you’re either dead or worse, a critic! "Gasp!"
  12. Jun 17, 2013
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS ON THIS ONE. Clearly the average person loves it, and reviews from most people who have actually read Superman (or even any comic book) are glowing. It is the Superman movie you've always wanted: Shed of the silly Reeve portrayal that kept people from taking him seriously; Containing more action in the first 5 minutes than there was all throughout SupermanDO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS ON THIS ONE. Clearly the average person loves it, and reviews from most people who have actually read Superman (or even any comic book) are glowing. It is the Superman movie you've always wanted: Shed of the silly Reeve portrayal that kept people from taking him seriously; Containing more action in the first 5 minutes than there was all throughout Superman Returns; writing on par with (better, in my opinion because I love Superman more) the incredible scripts found in Nolan's Batman films. Also, Hans Zimmer nailed it again with a score I personally like more than Williams' classic. Go see this movie: It's moving, thrilling, deep, and a spectacle like nothing else you've seen. Expand
  13. Jun 15, 2013
    This film is the Superman film we've all been waiting for. A lot of these reviews by the critics claim there is too much action or that it's not like the previous instalments of Superman like Superman Returns, STOP. This film was made with the intention that it was the first Superman movie of it's kind, It's a reboot not a sequel to a past film, it takes it's on twist on the the well knowThis film is the Superman film we've all been waiting for. A lot of these reviews by the critics claim there is too much action or that it's not like the previous instalments of Superman like Superman Returns, STOP. This film was made with the intention that it was the first Superman movie of it's kind, It's a reboot not a sequel to a past film, it takes it's on twist on the the well know origin story and i have to give it praise for being the complete opposite that Superman returns was which was a complete snooze fest. Man of steel has a lot of talent and well directed sequences and i cannot fathom why this movie isn't getting the rating it truly deserves... Overall it made me believe a man could truly fly. Expand
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    Kudos to a well done Superman film.

The movie was far more intense than I was expecting. Kal-el faces serious decisions throughout, and the damage done by Zod and crew is not sugared down. Lois was presented as a risk taking real journalist, and the first non-family person Kal-el was able to trust. I am looking forward to the sequels where Clark is able to form more meaningful
    Kudos to a well done Superman film.

I am looking forward to the sequels where Clark is able to form more meaningful relationships now that he has chosen to really enter human society.
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel introduces us to the world of Superman like no movie has ever done before. With an emotionally engaging story and an amazing soundtrack it really is the movie superman fans have waited for. Snyder, Goyer and Nolan are a team that shouldn't disband anytime soon Hoping for a Man of Steel trilogy, because the story of this particular incarnation of Superman is just too good to let go.
  16. Jun 19, 2013
    I have to say this movie really came with an eraser to remove all the old superman history and start fresh. We enjoyed the film as a whole and would recommend it to our friends. It is more than a refreshing update on an old comic book hero.
  17. Jun 16, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, Man of Steel is an epic Superhero MASTERPIECE !!!

Best comic book movie of ALL TIME, I loved this movie.

10/10 need JLA
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    The critics gave it bad rating but that is what I come to except from them. They never like comic book movies. The only one they like was the new Batman movies. This movies lives about to everything we except in Superman movie. For those purist yes it is another origin story at the beginning but hey that is what you need we reintroducing to fan who know nothing about superman. Fans whoThe critics gave it bad rating but that is what I come to except from them. They never like comic book movies. The only one they like was the new Batman movies. This movies lives about to everything we except in Superman movie. For those purist yes it is another origin story at the beginning but hey that is what you need we reintroducing to fan who know nothing about superman. Fans who never see will love it and become superman fans of it. So much action so much fun would highly recommend it. It is Hell-Ya movie. Expand
  19. Jun 21, 2013
    This was the superman movie we needed!!! The director was perfect along with the actors and the story!!! This was the best movie I had ever seen!!! I can not wait to see what Snyder and Goyer have in store for the future!!!
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birthMan of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birth comes just at the time when Krypton’s society is fracturing under the fear inspired by Jor-El’s prediction that the planet’s end is nigh. An attempted military coup by General Zod (Michael Shannon) sets into motion a series of fateful events that see young Kal-El raised on Earth, where he is warned by his adoptive parents (Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) that his god-like alien powers will one day force him to make a choice about how he will change the world for better or worse. And when Zod and his minions suddenly appear in Earth’s orbit, ready to finish what was started on Krypton, Kal-El/Clark Kent realizes that his prophesied moment of choice has now arrived. As was hoped for by many, Man of Steel is a fine marriage between the rich character-centric storytelling of Dark Knight Trilogy architects Chris Nolan and David S. Goyer, and the signature visual talents of director Zack Snyder. The movie is very much “Superman Begins” in terms of its narrative approach and structure; however, in terms of themes and tone the film achieves its own identity as an insightful, reverent and effectively relatable Superman story. Are there liberties taken with certain details of the costume, origin story or character relationships? Of course. But then again; this is a fresh start to present a new Superman to a modern world and in that, Man of Steel ultimately succeeds. Visually, this is Snyder’s most impressive film yet and it looks pretty stunning in 3D. Everything from Kryptonian culture and technology to the way Superman’s powers (and the impossible physics surrounding them) operate looks on point and believable (enough) in a real-world context. Add to that an abundance of visual iconography and head nods to both the comics and Richard Donner’s seminal films (in particular Superman II) and it’s clear that Man of Steel‘s director has true love, understanding and appreciation for the subject matter at hand. The action sequences while at times a bit too CGI-heavy are pretty epic in nature and certainly deliver on that perennial fanboy desire to see a film that depicts how super-powered beings would look and feel battling it out in a real-world setting. The wonderful pacing, editing, smart selection of scenes and abundance of action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly; although by the climax, seeing flying men get punched through buildings over and over again might have you checking your watch. The score by Dark Knight composer Hans Zimmer is phenomenal and heightens the film every turn, while also establishing yet another new-age superhero theme to replace a classic favorite (John Williams’ Superman theme from the Donner films). At the same time, Man of Steel is not without some noticeable narrative flaws. The script can be very “comic-bookish” in some scenes of dialogue, and the jumps in time and place during the first act are not as cohesive as they were in Batman Begins. Clever editing and speedy movement earlier on often comes at the price of effective narrative development. In short: if you were one of those people who were hung up on the question of how Bruce Wayne made it back to Gotham after escaping prison in Dark Knight Rises, you’ll find similar gripes with Man of Steel. Thankfully, the studio and filmmakers pull the same magic trick they did with the Batman franchise by casting an impressive array of highly-talented actors, who help elevate the weaker points of the script. Meanwhile, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe add Oscar-caliber gravitas and heart to the film as Superman’s two sets of parents. Crowe gets a substantial amount of screen time to really flesh-out the character of Jor-El like never before, while Lane and Costner totally carry the family drama subplot, which is the most moving and beautiful element of the story. Even military side-characters like Genearl Swanwick, On the whole, this movie is exactly the sort of experience that many Superman fans have been asking for, with the added benefit of having some smart storytellers providing fresh insight into why the character is one of the most iconic fictional creations out there. Like Nolan and Christian Bale’s first Batman outing, Snyder and Cavill’s first crack at Superman isn’t a homerun (we’ll call it a triple), but having succeeded in re-introducing the franchise to the core. Expand
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    After watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the only score that matters, and that is exactly what you should be paying attention to if you are an undecided Superman fan who's skeptical whether or not thisAfter watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the only score that matters, and that is exactly what you should be paying attention to if you are an undecided Superman fan who's skeptical whether or not this movie will deliver.

This might have been pre-programmed in my own mind as to how great this movie was, considering the list of failures so far in 2013. Biggest of note, would be Iron Man 3, but those details will be more suited for it's own review which I plan on writing soon. The pace, writing/script/story and amazing action/effects is what makes this movie one of the best of 2013 so far. A massive redemption overshadowing the must forget "Superman Returns" which hung on the thread of Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Lex Luther. General Zod was the perfect choice as the super villain for this franchise launch(hopefully it's successful enough to be a new franchise), and was well played by Michael Shannon. His female concubine was nearly equally as impressive, her sexiness and powerful warrior spirit pumped just the right amount of juice into what a mighty pair of foes should be like for Superman to face.

The background story was touching, well written and was perfectly balanced not to bore your eyeballs out in meaningless cry baby scenes of over-emotion(IE Tobey Maguire's Spiderman trilogy). No one would have been a better fit for Jor-El than Russell Crowe. Krypton and it's people/technology have never been portrayed in such great detail and special fx. This movie, as a Superman movie SHOULD, never skimps on the epic action that is the god like red caped hero.

So if you're not a pompous, over-arrogant, jaded, over-critical critic and are a huge DC comic/Dark Knight series fan, then this movie is a MUST SEE. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are more like the critics, not the users who write reviews here, move along as a cheesy romantic comedy might be more up your alley.
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of steel is truly a master piece. Snider has revived an amazing hero universe and made it special. The critics have called this film average but the public love it. This film is a piece of art.
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    PLEASE DO NOT LET THE CRITICS STRAY YOU FROM SEEING THIS MOVIE....go to it and be the judge of it yourself as I did. What I will say next is strictly my own opinion and pretty much is in line as to what the majority of user reviews have been saying. This movie is great, not without it's flaws but these things can be improved upon in a sequel and In no way take away from the movie enoughPLEASE DO NOT LET THE CRITICS STRAY YOU FROM SEEING THIS MOVIE....go to it and be the judge of it yourself as I did. What I will say next is strictly my own opinion and pretty much is in line as to what the majority of user reviews have been saying. This movie is great, not without it's flaws but these things can be improved upon in a sequel and In no way take away from the movie enough to make it deserve a score of 55....this just boggles my mind. A few cheesy lines from military personnel and sometimes not clear action sequences are not enough to make this movie a fail. And after rewatching Superman 2 and Superman Returns last night I can fully say that Henry Cavill IS superman and Snyder has done a great job. I'm not going to rant on about anything else, just got watch the movie yourself especially if the critics have turned you off from it...I think you will be a bit surprised. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do yourself a favor and do not read into the critical reviews. look at metacritic, the game has almost a 9.0 rating from regular people but a 55% from the "professional movie critics" who are obviously out of touch with reality. This may be the best movie of the year. The build-up to General Zod's arrival on earth is perfectly paced, they handled Krypton well (like, its just almost exactly like it is in the comics, down to the floaty communicator-thingys). Is there a lot of action in it? Yes. The action feels good though and it keeps you excited for what is next. There was a scene in Smallville that was amazing, the action is great.

Overall, there is more action than story, perhaps yes, but it is appropriate for the first in a series or trilogy to set up the next movies for some good times to be had.
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    What a brilliant movie it is up there with The Dark Night for me it is that good. There is a great cast some amazing special effects loads of action for a 2 hour plus movie it never drags and there is some nice additions to the story ,Michael Shannon is just becoming one of my favorite actors he plays the role of General Zod so well, all in all this is a must see movie its a easy 10 out of 10.
  26. Jun 21, 2013
    Very good movie. I liked everything: visual effects, actors, action, and music. Beautiful panorama of Krypton. Do not feed boring flashbacks. Best film of Superman to date.
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    In my opinion, the best movie adaptation of Superman's origin story to date. It has some awkward editing moments and the action generally drags on for a little to long, but everything else is so well-done that you HAVE to ignore that 55 rating from the critics. Go out and see it for yourself.
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    My most anticipated summer blockbuster of 2013, from the mastermind of 300 (2006, 7/10) and WATCHMEN (2009, 7/10), the reboot of the most popular superhero has undergone a series of choppy fluctuations since the underperformance of Bryan Singer’s SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006, 7/10), so an IMAX plus 3D version for me is a prerequisite to watch.

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an up-to-par epic bandwagon superbly grafts the invincible Kryptonian alien under the context of a xenophobic earth milieu, a human environment-nurtured extraterrestrial identity chooses to combat against his own race to save the cynical earthlings.

The film majestically branches out a unique palette of indigo and gray, a post-apocalypse solemness which is unlike most of its superfluous comic-derived peers (producer Christopher Nolan’s sway may be a plausible influence), and a hefty impetus of Clark Kent’s poignant relation with his human parents perpetually spurs the film to imprint its most eloquent fingerprints onto the heart of its recipients, a far better fulfillment than the parents-bereaved spidey (both Costner and Lane are heartwarming and sagacious in it).

Crowe and Zurer as Superman’s biological parents, both are throwaway in the overture of Krypton’s demise, the former then resurrects himself as a bewildering wraith inside the flying vehicle, sabotages General Zod’s scheme. Against the ageism, Adams offers brilliant ballast as the mettlesome journalist Lois Lane, a paragon of the benevolence from human part, the mutual attraction between her and Kent is ignited, but markedly Snyder saves the best for the sequel. Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni, one is the ferocious sidekick of Zod, another is a human general fights till his self-sacrifice heroic act, brings out an intensive beast-and-prey pattern of diversion which is a rare treat for side players in mainstream cinema. Michael Shannon as General Zod, a bona-fide super-villain counteracts Superman’s almighty indestructibility, his human-eradication theory surpasses any comic fecklessness, and the gravity-reconstruction concept really put the entire planet hanging on a thread (I always redeem a sudden depletion of gravity is the way to our doomsday), Shannon is incredible to magnify his militant loyalty and the genocide-prone mercilessness whilst viewers would eventually be touched by the former, such a transcending feat to accomplish out of a fixated mold. Same can be stated to Henry Cavill’s Superman, he is a flawless messiah of our planet, and Cavill is the perfect Superman, both from his physique and his charisma (and finally the underwear goes underneath his uniform), his oscillation has never been shied away in the film, and it makes the final neck-breaking such an emotional disturbance
    both to him and to the viewers.

The CGI effects are another fusillade of leveling cities and blasting buildings after THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10), but an amazing stunt is this time it ad hoc showcases an uplifting process of Superman’s sway of his flying expertise. A recurrent blip of the genre is the willful negligence of the aftershock, 5 seconds later, everyone act like they are totally oblivious of the apocalyptic attack no matter how damaged the city is, the transference is unnaturally nettling, the least one can do is to take a few shots of people’s contemplation as survivors of such a catastrophe, or raise hope to shoot scenes of the restoration and a panorama of the mess is a must to deepen the seriousness of the matter.

Anyhow, MAN OF STEEL is a stylized orthodox superhero film which successfully recoups the fanboys and bolsters a stronghold for the series in its lucrative future projects, its mass appeal might lag behind Marvel’s SHIELDS coalition, but Superman’s adventure will be more audacious and reflective other than its entertaining face value.
  29. Jun 16, 2013
    While mainstream critics are correct in saying the much of the movie is a action spectacle, I believe most of the general audience already had a solid footing on who Superman is and his origin. Warner Bros. picked up from where the whole idea of Superman has always left off. They gave Superman something to fight for but didn't take an hour to set it all up and it worked.
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    The best superman movie ever. Full of action and great acting, this is the superman movie we've always needed. Zack Snyder has done a wonderful job bring superman into the real world and making him human
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    I cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderfulI cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderful acting, amazing effects, beautiful sets and costumes, a great amount of weight to the world and its people, deep characterization, and a conflict that actually takes some thought. There is only a couple of flaws with this movie, which is why i have given it a 9 as opposed to a 10. 1: Zod chewed the scenery too much for such a serious movie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE some cheese every once in a while, but when the entire world takes everything so seriously, Zods overacting at points in the movie is kind of out of place and silly at times. 2: A couple of times people will say information before they know about it, like when a general says "Krypton" before Superman has mentioned that he is Kryptonian or from Krypton.
    Aside from those 2 nit picks, the movie is a very fun movie, and a very smart one too. But what else would you expect from such an amazing team as Snyder and Nolan.
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    Finally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional toneFinally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional tone that it had in the 2nd and 3rd trailer. The movie is filled with so much action/violence and miraculous visuals. It's truly breathtaking to watch but it has way more than what you expected in the trailers and promos. It does kind of make the story drag. I'm just saying, less action could have been better. Not much, but just a little. And more of a story could have made me give this movie a perfect 10. But for what it's worth it's a solid 8. Overall, even with it's minor elements, you will still love this amazing reboot. Expand
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    The Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what heThe Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what he does as an adult. I also enjoyed the portrayal of emotion on Supermans' face shown with close ups; the first flight for example, as this really makes the character more real as that's how a normal person would act in such situations. The direction of characters was solid through out although the action scenes felt a bit jaggy as it was almost like the audience was in the middle of the fight and possibly not getting the best possible view of the action. I also felt as though although the General Zodd character was quite good he didn't quite fill the shoes of those who played the role before which is slightly disappointing and takes away somewhat from the film. Conversely, Jor-El ;played by Russel Crowe was used brilliantly and really helped the film as well also as the portrayal of Krypton which compared to previous iterations felt alive more like a genuine planet.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    A well thought out and considerate reboot hopefully leading to bigger and better things in the future.
  34. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is an excellent movie. I enjoyed the movie the entire time and loved every second of it. The story was great, the action was awesome, and the cast was superb. Do not listen to any of these idiotic critics who gave this film a negative score. It does not deserve any of the negativity that its been getting for whatever unbelievable reason. Just do yourself a favor and watch thisMan of Steel is an excellent movie. I enjoyed the movie the entire time and loved every second of it. The story was great, the action was awesome, and the cast was superb. Do not listen to any of these idiotic critics who gave this film a negative score. It does not deserve any of the negativity that its been getting for whatever unbelievable reason. Just do yourself a favor and watch this film, you will not regret it. Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    Man Of Steel is like a fast car accelerating through a fast straight race track while gradually gaining speed as it proceeds Snyder has created a visually spectacular movie with top notch visual effects but not only that he has started a fresh franchise away from the casual norm, l will looking forward to another and another
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    Superman is an Alien on Earth but on Krypton he is “human”. I believe “Man of Steel” was designed to show just that, Kal-El is vulnerable and emotional. We all know the story of Superman, I think that is a healthy given to state in this day and age. Whether you know Clark Kent from Smallville, Christopher Reeves as the one “true” Superhero, or you know what Action Comics were. EverySuperman is an Alien on Earth but on Krypton he is “human”. I believe “Man of Steel” was designed to show just that, Kal-El is vulnerable and emotional. We all know the story of Superman, I think that is a healthy given to state in this day and age. Whether you know Clark Kent from Smallville, Christopher Reeves as the one “true” Superhero, or you know what Action Comics were. Every generation since the beginning of comic books knows who Superman is. This is Zack Snyder’s modern retelling of a classic story.

I’ll get straight to the point and we can sort out the technical stuff for those looking for more to read. This film isn’t grade A story telling for the masses, it is closer to a B minus, and I know I said everyone knows this story but Snyder always seems to bring something experimental to his films. The film starts strong but immediately begins to skip tracks as Snyder tries to retell an old story in a new way. We are dealing with a lot of flash backs and not a whole lot of “read from point A to point B”. I think this keeps many audience members detached from what is happening on screen.

Flashbacks aside, we are dealing with a very dark story here, which some would call “modern”. I believe time changes all things and although the core elements of the character Superman are shown here, they have been painted in dark, modern story telling colors. Nowadays we want our heroes to be relatable and “human”. We want to see them hurt, cry, and love just as we do. Many non-Superman fans don’t like the old fashion “boy scout” image that comes along with this “perfect” and “overpowered” Superhero. It was from this mentality Zack Snyder finds his inspiration for Man of Steel.

Still here, then let’s talk about the talent behind this film. There is no shortness of great actors, and actresses on screen, such as Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and even Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. The soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmer, in case you didn’t think there was enough talent involved with this movie already. If you enjoyed the film I would recommend picking up the soundtrack as it is another great piece of music from an experienced composer.

Personally I thought the film was breath-taking, and I don’t mean that in a wordsmith kind of way. I literally mean that I silently screamed numerous times during this film. If you keep your eyes open and on the move you’ll catch many nods to other parts of the Superman universe, though I didn’t catch anything about a billionaire that recently lost his parents behind a theater.

I actually kind of felt like the movie was telling us the Wolverine origin story in the beginning as Clark Kent searches the world for answers to all his questions prior to being hired as a fulltime Superhero. I think all the facial hair had a hand in this as well. It is really weird but I’m actually extremely happy with how they showed Superman move. It is maybe something you don’t think about very often but Superman can move at super speed from a standstill.

It is cool to see the progression of his movement in other live action films and TV shows but if you really wanted to show just how powerful he is you would show only a facial expression that he was about to move, and then just a blur of motion. I think a great way to explain this film’s action scenes is Bruce Timm’s DC animations, specifically his presentation of Superman. If you have ever seen a fight scene from the cartoon, Justice League, then you know what I’m talking about. These battles normally lasted longer than just a few punches back and forth. The fight would rage on throughout the streets and into malls, across miles of city property, up into the sky, and out in space. You would be constantly reminded that these are not just two dudes in a bar throwing punches, these are gods among men, at least when meta-humans are involved.

Do I think Zack Snyder managed to tell a story about the most powerful Superhero ever imagined and make him as weak as a new born baby? Definitely, and I enjoyed how serious the film took this change in direction. Snyder really followed through with his vision and I enjoyed seeing the “boy scout” in a completely different light. If you already know you are going to see it then this film is definitely a theater movie. You don’t need to see it in fake 3D though, save your money.
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    This is already the best movie of this year! Much better than othesr superhero movies! Excellent special effects, soundtrack, and very, very good action scenes! You REALLY must see the movie in 3D! Nothing more to say, it's just the most amazing action movie EVER!
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    With Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generationsWith Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generations Superman well and adds accentuating depth and emotion to the story. Snyder's signature eye catching visual spectacle and stunning CGI paired with Nolan's story is sure to please not only comic book fans, but also the outside audience not already familiar with the source material. "Man of Steel" is not only an impressive film, both technically and emotionally, but it also is catching and gripping where Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" was dull and often lacking or absent. Snyder has spawned the start of what could be an incredible franchise worthy in comparison to how "Batman Begins" stemmed Nolan's Batman Trilogy. With "Man of Steel," Warner Brothers and DC Comics have returned to center stage and built upon on what could be the introduction of other super heroes in the multiverse to the big screen. The future for DC entertainment looks bright and stunning, with welcome competition from Marvel. Should be exciting. Expand
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of steel is a visual masterpiece full of epic fight scenes. Although they set the emotional level of this movie high in the trailers, there is much more action than slower scenes. Nolan and Snyder prove to be able to work together and combine their visual idea along with a good storyline. I encourage superman fans to enjoy the movie for what it is and not this to the comic books. 5/5!
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    Superman: Man of Steel, is the beginning of a new Superman series just as Amazing Spider-Man was for the Spider man series! The movie shows the evolution of superman on Earth. It starts from a planet named Krypton, his native planet which is on the verge of getting destructed and so his parents sends him to earth with the DNA's of the people of Krypton. The story shows how a man with suchSuperman: Man of Steel, is the beginning of a new Superman series just as Amazing Spider-Man was for the Spider man series! The movie shows the evolution of superman on Earth. It starts from a planet named Krypton, his native planet which is on the verge of getting destructed and so his parents sends him to earth with the DNA's of the people of Krypton. The story shows how a man with such supreme powers overcome difficulties living with normal humans. It shows the duty and responsibility that Superman shows for the people of earth The movie is high on ethics just like Batman series. Its not just about action as we saw in previous Superman movies. Scripting is very accurately done. Cinematography is world class and 3D view of the movie is worth watching. The movie deals with highly modern technologies but not much gadgets were used as we see in other Action movies. All the action sequences are extremely brilliant. It surely defines a new era of Action scenes. Overall the movie is an outstanding mixture of ethics and action. It does have the charishma and brilliance of Iron man and Avengers movies to some extent. Must watch! Go for it straight away.
    Critics website: www.fridayrating.org
  41. wha
    Jun 14, 2013
    I’m just home from seeing the movie and I’m still buzzing about it.!!! I loved the movie!!! I watched it with some friends. I saw it with guy who were not comic book fans, they were blown away by it, and we were really surprised by how much we dug it. I knew there was going would be big, big action going in to the movie and I got it in spades, complete with all the characterization thatI’m just home from seeing the movie and I’m still buzzing about it.!!! I loved the movie!!! I watched it with some friends. I saw it with guy who were not comic book fans, they were blown away by it, and we were really surprised by how much we dug it. I knew there was going would be big, big action going in to the movie and I got it in spades, complete with all the characterization that I’ve been wanting to see in a Superman movie since I was a kid Expand
  42. Jun 15, 2013
    I'll keep the review short and sweet with no spoilers. First of all, I'm not too sure what the critics were thinking when they rated this movie. I thought this was the best movie of the summer so far. Yeah, there is alot of action in the movie, and in my opinion it didn't ruin the experience for me unlike the critics. There were quite a few flashbacks (since this is an origin story), but II'll keep the review short and sweet with no spoilers. First of all, I'm not too sure what the critics were thinking when they rated this movie. I thought this was the best movie of the summer so far. Yeah, there is alot of action in the movie, and in my opinion it didn't ruin the experience for me unlike the critics. There were quite a few flashbacks (since this is an origin story), but I wasn't bothered by them at all, and thought that they fit in well. Lastly, the fighting scenes were done beautifully as well as Hans Zimmer's score. If you love superhero movies, or your just looking for an amazing summer movie, MAN OF STEEL IS THE ONE TO WATCH. It was a great movie, and I definitely think it's worth watching again and worth purchasing on bluray. Expand
  43. Jun 15, 2013
    As a long time fan of Superman, I was not disappointed. In fact, this movie actually surprised me by being better than I anticipated it. This is how you make a Superman movie! It's time to let go of the Donner films. That version of our hero simply does not work for our time. This is a raw Supes who can kick some serious butt. As a matter of fact, I wish the last fight was longer... That'sAs a long time fan of Superman, I was not disappointed. In fact, this movie actually surprised me by being better than I anticipated it. This is how you make a Superman movie! It's time to let go of the Donner films. That version of our hero simply does not work for our time. This is a raw Supes who can kick some serious butt. As a matter of fact, I wish the last fight was longer... That's how good it was. Ignore the critics and go enjoy this amazing film. Expand
  44. Jun 16, 2013
    I was uncertain whether this was going to be a redo of a redo or what, but one needn't worry. Although the general plot elements that make it Superman were there, IMO, this is a new movie. The elements that make it familiar are present, but the ideas injected into the story essential remake it. It's not heroic DC, it's science fiction, and good science fiction. It also has a injectionI was uncertain whether this was going to be a redo of a redo or what, but one needn't worry. Although the general plot elements that make it Superman were there, IMO, this is a new movie. The elements that make it familiar are present, but the ideas injected into the story essential remake it. It's not heroic DC, it's science fiction, and good science fiction. It also has a injection of realism that a welcome change from the saccharin fare usually in this genera of film. People in the audience actually applauded at the film's end. Expand
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel last night & I was blown away. I got a little sentimental watching Superman back on the big screen, reminded me when I was little watching Christopher Reeve being Superman. So much hype & I was not let down.
    Also this movie really really makes up for Superman Returns which was just an insult & just plain atrocious.
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is by far the best Superman movie yet. Main selling points for me were: 1. No Kryptonite. I liked seeing Superman having to battle super cosmic forces such as giant interstellar gravity terraforming machines (which were freaking awesome looking btw) 2. You actually got to see more of the alien culture from which the man of steel was spawned. Russel Crow was a kickass superdad. 3. It wasn't a cliche linear film where it starts with superman as a baby to child to teen to adult. It goes from baby to adult then cutting to flashbacks of revelvant-to-the-plot anecdotes. Very well done and will keep you thoroughly entertained. Expand
  47. Jun 20, 2013
    I was a huge fan of Superman 1 and 2. I did not have high hopes for a reboot. This movie was amazing! Superman looked tough. The beginning of the movie is fantastic. There is not a boring spot in the whole movie. The villains were cool. I will see this in theaters more than once and from me that is saying a lot. I hope they make many more just like this one.
  48. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a new beginning for man of steel, but the action can be some annoy, but the plot is good, and this movie is excellent for christopher nolan and David goyer. Expand
  49. Jul 2, 2013
    This is the Superman movie i had been waiting for in a long time. Henry Cavill is perfect as Clark Kent/Superman and Amy Adams is also great as Lois Lane. It´s not a masterpiece, but it is a great summer blockbuster!
  50. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the better superman movie. don't go by metascore go watch it by yourself. Superman has always been powerful but in this movie you really feel it. This may not be acurate to the comic book superman which could be reason for low metascore.
  51. Dec 16, 2013
    It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
    He wears a giant S on his
    He wears a giant S on his CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
    This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
    That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
    Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
    The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
    The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.
  52. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he isThis movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he is at the beginning and turning into the Superman/Clark Kent that we are more familiar with... all twinkling eye and the boy scout smile by the end.

But really, the action and speed and power of the fight sequences are really astounding. You believe this man is THAT strong and THAT fast.

Word of warning. See it in 2-D. If I had seen it in 3-D, I would have thrown up It seems the bad reviews are mostly from people who saw it in 3-D. This thing moves, people, and if I had seen it in 3-D, it would have been too much of a good thing.

My final verdict: Better than Avengers (a tiny little bit), as good as the Dark Knight (maybe a little tiny bit worse), and as good as the 1978 Superman (maybe a little tiny bit better). Better than the first Iron Man and the Spider Man and X-Men films (by a good margin). Makes Green Lantern look like something drawn by my infant son.
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie felt shorter to me than the run-time. As for some complaints about not resolving relationships and such, this movie is meant to establish such relationships and complications, so they can be explored and resolved in the sequels, right? Superman has been around for 75 years, so I think it is hard for some viewers to recognize that this movie presents us with a neophyte hero this is the first time he's wearing the suit and making tough decisions. As long as the character grows into the icon in the sequels, then it's a good thing. Do we really want a character, in an origin story, that has nowhere to develop? And that's what this movie felt like to me, an introduction to Superman, not a summation of the character.

I give it 8.5 out of 10 (rounding up to 9 because I'm a geek). It's a solid movie with all the action anyone could have wanted (too much for some, but great for me, bring it on). It doesn't reinvent superhero movies but Man of Steel is certainly among the best of the genre. Sadly, the hopes and the hype were so high that the fact that it isn't overwhelmingly great has hurt the movie's reception. I recommend it to superhero and action fans without reservation. To those who aren't fans of either genre, I say this. Surrender within twenty-four hours ...

A couple critiques. The shaky-cam effect is kind of jarring, especially in the opening scenes. For a moment, I was wondering if Krypton was having earthquakes in the early scenes, until I realized the camera-work was just a visual conceit. The tremor-vision calms down eventually, and for most of the movie, but returns for little, annoying bursts when least expected. Second, there are a couple actions that Clark takes (or doesn't take i.e. the tornado scene) that seem out of character. Per my point above, about character development, I believe (hope?) that these decisions will be revisited in the sequels.
  55. Jul 22, 2013
    This movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. EveryoneThis movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. Everyone conversation to him is 'what it means to be a hero' or 'your purpose in life with these powers'. There is no real dialogue. The story does the Batman Begins approach having flashbacks to parts of his life, giving insight on the character's past and doing the beginnings of him becoming the hero. It doesn't do as well and while some flashbacks are well done, most become rather boring.

The special effects and a few good action scenes before it becomes too much are the only things that hold this movie up. This movie fails to reach to the true potential of what it promised and what it could have been.
  56. Jun 15, 2013
    Zack Snyder created the Superman film we needed. He gives us some jaw-dropping visuals and an engaging and emotional story about loneliness and finding your mission in life that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    Henry Cavill totally nailed the role of Superman in every possible way. He has a strong screen presence and gives the character a naivety that makes you relate to him. He has morals, but still can get angry, sad and desperate. The rest of the cast is great as well.
    General Zod was written in a very intelligent way because even though he was a force of destruction and violence, you can still understand his motivations.
    Man of Steel has everything to please both comic book aficionados and average movie goers, and is the perfect Superman movie.
  57. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing film, but if you're looking for another typical, wise cracking superhero film then this is not the one for you. This is a sci-fi film, through and through. It explores first contact.

Those that are critical of a lack of warmth, emotion and humour in the main protagonist, seem to be missing the point. He's an alien! Does he lack humanity? No, but he's been trying to find his path and a sense of belonging for 33 years. It's something I've struggled with in adulthood and I'm from this planet! (Mum,I am from this planet, aren't I? Mum?!?)

All of the characters were well written and well acted. The 2 father figures were particularly impressive. It was good to see Jor El get some serious screen time and back story. Likewise, it was interesting to see more of Krypton than we ever have before. The world and its people became more real than ever. You felt a real sense of the impending doom that would befall their planet and the effect that would have on their (Zod and his followers) "humanity".

There is perhaps one criticism that is being levied at the film by critics that I would regard as fair. The action is intense (which is good), but it could be said (or rather, IS being said) that the action scenes are too long. I accept the point, but we are talking about near indestructible super beings fighting against other near indestructible super beings! However, the amount of action perhaps had the effect of blunting the senses somewhat. But if there was less, would we be suggesting the film was less epic? Perhaps, and it is for that reason that I would not be too critical of seeing such action on screen.

Watch it. Love it. Get excited for a sequel!
  58. Jun 14, 2013
    The heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since the original, and it is one of the best comic book movies ever. This is a fantastic reboot to the franchise, and a great start to an inevitable Justice League franchise.
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie really soared above my expectations and competes for the greatest superhero film. Comic book fan or not this movie is a lot of fun and will keep you at the edge of your seat for sure!
  60. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely spectacular arrangement of action and character development. The movie isn't paced like most others, opting for a more unique approach. It divides itself into massive scale action sequences and lengths of character exploration. Most reviewers have been put off by the massive scale, hour long action sequence near the end, but they seem to forget the thematic exploration of Clark's character that came before it.

Superman as the depiction of the perfect immigrant? You have Clark coming in and doing various oddjobs to try and make a living before he finally finds his calling, and even then he is submit to scrutiny.

Superman as a paradoxical character with a strength that is also a weakness? You have some pivotal scenes where Superman is forced to make a decision for the greater good despite his morals. Indeed at several points in the film, the villains themselves outright state this theme- that Clark's morals make him weaker.

In addition to that, you have Clark's brilliant social predicament as a whole once again laid out perfectly. This absolutely incorruptible, truly good person manages to still somehow be put through a sad and lonely life.

In addition to the thematic exploration being done masterfully by writer David S. Goyer, you have the incredibly character performances. Henry Cavill portrays a humble (if humorless) Kal El/Clark Kent who is always willing to do the right thing on his own terms. His facial expressions and overall body language enrich the film's quality immensely. The look of apprehension the first time he dons the cape and faces the threat. The look of weakness when he realizes that the enemy who has just slammed him into a wall possesses the same powers as him. The look of stern coldness as Superman taunts the main villain. The white hot intensity when Superman turns aggressive. It's all done superbly by Cavill.

The aforementioned main villain is also an absolute powerhouse. General Zod is played by Michael Shannon (famous for his ability to simulate anger). General Zod's character as a whole is one of the most surprisingly good parts about the film. Sharply contrasting with Terence Stamp's cold blooded "kneel inducing" Zod, Shannon plays a megalomaniac bent on trying to restore life to his long dead race. You truly feel sympathy for Zod, but are no less satisfied when his character arc reaches its payoff. Shannon's portrayal is raw, threatening, and downright scary. He really has a way with eyes, being able to intimidate pretty much anyone he wants to.

Superman's father, Jor-El, happens to be one of those people. He is played by Russel Crowe. There's really not much else to say here but the fact that he absolutely kills the role.

The supporting cast all do their jobs very well, but are given rather little to work with. This should be more or less expected, considering the movie's marketing as Superman's origin story. Standout performances include Antje as the menacing-yet-sexy supporting villain Faora, Amy Adams as the adorable-yet-tough love interest Lois Lane, and Kevin Costner as the moral guidance of Jonathan Kent (Clark's father).

There are some issues with the movie. The action scenes do indeed feel too drawn out at some points. This can be seen in the middle 20 minutes of the last action scene where the movie ends up feeling like a Michale Bay-esque building dropper. Fortunately, the action builds up even more, and ends up with a climax so exhilarating that it would take three Avengers movies to top it.

As said before, the pacing is unique, but still strangely polarizing. The film is content with simply dividing the action and story development scenes into sections, instead of integrating them with each other and creating a coherent flow throughout the movie.

And, above all, the film truly is devoid of humor. While this is a new Superman film, some of the humility (and humanity) of the original Clark Kent in the Richard Donner films came from trivial things that would happen to Clark. Fortunately, the ending of the film leads into something that may indicate a return to this style of humor in the future.

The movie does contain some absolutely massive, drawn out action sequences. It is also paced in a strangely polarizing way, and the film is devoid of a lot of the humor that characterized the Richard Donner films. But one must not ignore the thematic explorations of the characters that came with those things and dismiss the film as a "generic blockbuster." Truly, with the teeming sci fi world of Krypton, strong character performances, and thematic respect to Superman's character, it is anything but.

This movie scores a 9.5/10. Since Metacritic does not allow for 9.5s, and the critical response seems to be rather mixed, the score was rounded to a 10.

____

This is my girlfriend's cousin's review. I'm just relaying it here. I haven't watched the film yet myself, but as a longtime Superman fan, the talk of thematic exploration excites me to no end.
  61. Jun 14, 2013
    Great movie, the character of Superman is above that of Bale as Batman or any other superhero. He is Stoic and reminds me of Gosling in drive. Doesnt need to say much or emote much and that is what makes you interested in him. The character drove me a lot. The story was great too!
  62. Jun 21, 2013
    Somewhat humorless and a few silly story elements, but spectacular set pieces and visuals. Even acting throughout. A nice, different kick at the can at the Superman character. First movie to really show how powerful Superman really is in the comic books. (without oddities like turning back time or memory-sapping kisses) Thoroughly enjoyed it despite it's problems.
  63. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best superman film yet!! The story was pretty dark, serious, and kinda emotional-thanks to Nolan of course. The action was amazing, the last 25-30 mins were non-stop over the top action-thank you Zack Snyder. The story of course was really good, talked about krypton which was good, how Superman/Clark Kent learn about his origin and how his step father taught him to be a better person when he was young. Lots of moral lesson in this film which I like. The pacing of the film was okay..I wished they took their time talking more about Superman/Clark when he was young. Overall the film was awesome, action was intense, cgi was top notch, and the story was dark and serious. Can't wait for a sequel. Expand
  64. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder did a great job of melding a sci-fi movie with a big summer action movie. I was a little worried before I saw it, given all of the bad reviews, but II'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder did a great job of melding a sci-fi movie with a big summer action movie. I was a little worried before I saw it, given all of the bad reviews, but I would highly recommend it. Great action movie, well worth the money. Expand
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    very entertaining movie with fight scenes that shows how superhumans fight. but something was lacking.
    christian bale was batman, rdjr is iron man... but henry, just wasn't superman enough.

but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did not get to see the clark kent we all know till the end. MUST watch!
  66. Jun 16, 2013
    This film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film wasThis film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film was more "realistic" approach to Superman's origin. It covered the short demise of Krypton, and was just enough screen time to understand why it happened, and for Superman's transit to Earth via Krypton.

To make a great story short, this movie is loaded with tons of action, great acting, and great replay value. You won't be disappointed.
  67. Jun 14, 2013
    A nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And theA nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And the effects are out of this world, I walked out of the theater like I just came off a roller coaster, with this feeling of excitement in my chest. I think that's the best way to describe this movie. A really amazing roller coaster. The emotional scenes were also tastefully done and I had all the feels for Clark through out the movie. Expand
  68. Jun 14, 2013
    Batman focused on being based in reality, The Spiderman reboot focused on science, Man of Steel focuses on Aliens as its tool to make the world believable. Great action, great acting, and goyers story is phenomenal as usual. That being said, there are some problems, mainly the non stop advertisements during one of the action sequences bothered me allot. The pacing is a little odd but seemsBatman focused on being based in reality, The Spiderman reboot focused on science, Man of Steel focuses on Aliens as its tool to make the world believable. Great action, great acting, and goyers story is phenomenal as usual. That being said, there are some problems, mainly the non stop advertisements during one of the action sequences bothered me allot. The pacing is a little odd but seems like I may get used to it on a second watch. Last thing is I wish I laughed more then twice during the movie, if the movie has any fault it's in its non stop seriousness. But if you don't expect this to be an iron man 3 and more like the nolan batman universe your in for a treat. Expand
  69. Jun 15, 2013
    I was so relieved. Its good. Its really good. Critics and Audiences with a longing for the Christopher Reeve era may not find it as appealing. But Snyder has made a Superman for the new century. Henry Cavill as Superman is fantastic. He has made the role his own for at least a few more Superman movies. I would like to see Clark Kent explored a bit more. But the twists and changes made byI was so relieved. Its good. Its really good. Critics and Audiences with a longing for the Christopher Reeve era may not find it as appealing. But Snyder has made a Superman for the new century. Henry Cavill as Superman is fantastic. He has made the role his own for at least a few more Superman movies. I would like to see Clark Kent explored a bit more. But the twists and changes made by Zack Snyder and the awesome action pieces manage to make the movie work brilliantly. There is a balance, between Goyer's Screenplay and the emotional and wonderful acting of Russel Crow; the menacing Zod, & Snyder's action and attention to detail. It was just short of perfect, but maybe that is our expectations getting in the way. In any case, this sets the stage for Man of Steel 2, which I feel will surpass even my high expectations. Ultimately, at the end of this movie, there is a feeling of relief and a big thank you to everyone involved in this movie. They finally....made the right superman movie. Expand
  70. Jun 14, 2013
    Zack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension andZack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension and vulnerability. Michael Shannon creates a conflicted and compelling villain (General Zod) and is almost overtaken by his side-kick Faora (Antje Traue) who poses a greater personal risk for the Man of Steel.

Amy Adams (as Lois Lane) does really well she's not the helpless woman depicted by the animated series. She's tough, in a Pepper Potts (from Ironman) sort of a way. Like Adams, Diane Lane (as Martha Kent) is great. It's Cavill's interactions with these two woman that provide the greatest depth for his character a nice touch.

And if you're a film aficionado who loves movie-music, Hans Zimmer's score is masterful, as is this film's sound-mixing.

Can't wait for the sequel, which already has confirmed key players, and ultimately the Justice League movie!

Note: There is no mid or end credit scene. Bummer.
  71. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Superman Movie story for this generation. Man of steel has pulled what other Superman movie has never done this movie has shown us the core of the character and what he can do. Emotional and action packet, this movie has it all and I can't wait for the sequel of this movie. Thank you God for NOT giving us another campy Superman movie. Expand
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    You know. I'm really hurt watching this movie being bashed by the so called "critics". I just had to register.
    I'm a man who rates productions by how much they will move me inside. I can't believe, but for the first time
    in my life I cried on an action movie. Just go see the Man of Steel. You wont regret this.
  73. Jun 14, 2013
    This film is incredible, don't take the critics complaints for it. If you do and don't watch this film you'll be missing out on something great. Best pure superhero comic film ever, The Avengers can just quit now.
  74. Jun 14, 2013
    esta es una version mas actualizada del super heroe superman,a pesar q no soy muy fan,esta es una de las mejores peliculas basadas en un personaje de comic que e visto en mi vida.exelente trama y los ultimos 45 minutos no te deja ni respirar.nolan y snyder los lograron le devolvieron la vida a superman,esta entre las mejores peliculas que e visto en mi vida.
  75. Jun 14, 2013
    It's the pointed focus on science fiction that elevates Man of Steel beyond that of just another Superman movie, Cavill is more than serviceable as our hero, Khal-El, while Crowe and Costner provide strong acting from the supporting roles. The action sequences are immaculate EPIC!!
  76. Jun 22, 2013
    I am since my childhood, the first film of a powerful personality I've seen about the super man
    Frankly Marvel abuses figures from DC figures
    The reason is obvious
    Directors of DC
    Stronger than Spider man and Hulk
    BY ADIL KHOJAH SAUDI ARABIYA
  77. Jun 22, 2013
    Giving a solid origin story and fitting actor, "Man of Steel" takes its well known character and humanizes him, and, in the process, establishes a true hero.
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    EPIC there is no other word to describe it! By FAR the best super hero movie ever made! And by FAR the best movie of the year!
    I believe the critics went to watch another movie cause else something is seriously wrong with them!

Worth every penny I spent to watch it! Should be oscarized! and Snyder is a true visionary I'll give it 20/10 if I could!
  79. Jun 14, 2013
    Epic...Finally a good Superman, alot of action and epic special effects. The visual was perfect. For me this is the movie of the year...Plz sequel and justice league ASAP
  80. Jun 25, 2013
    bcos i am superman i felt good here watching this movie
    so i rate this movie full explicit of kryptonian with maximum green score
    and have a good time
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) andMan of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) and Lara(Ayelet Zurer) have just given birth to the first natural baby in centuries. Unfortunately, the Council of Krypton refuse to stop drilling for resources from the core, and Jor-El and Lara send their son, Kal-El, to Earth so he can live a better life. He lives without being exposed of this information for 33 years, until General Zod(Michael Shannon), the former military leader of Krypton which is now nothing. Now Zod is leading his group into Earth to populate and overthrow the people of Earth. Superman must work to protect the people of Earth from the Kryptonians. The Special Effects in this movie are amazing. The only major complaint which I've also seen with other people is the last scene. It's 45 minutes of mayhem. While I felt it was an epic conclusion to an epic blockbuster, 45 minutes was certainly way too long and upset many people in the audience. Overall, anyone who isn't upset by loud noises should definitely see Man of Steel. Expand
  82. IMR
    Jun 16, 2013
    one of the best movies of this and all times, it is difficult to make a superhero movie that has serious tone and not just romp and jokes. It shows the human side of Kar-El, in trying to be just one of us, but his fate will prepare something bigger "The ultimate hero of humanity".

It shows a Clark who suffer the consequences of being different, their emotions, their feelings. Facing decisions between who he is or who he should be.

The cast was amazing, everything fit to perfection: Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Antje Traue, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne ..

The music is beautiful and powerful

Indisputably 10/10 Movie
  83. Jun 19, 2013
    This movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still had questions about once the end credits rolled, but it wasn't enough of a drawback to the awe I felt seeing Kal-el, Jor-el, Zod, and especially Faora done soThis movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still had questions about once the end credits rolled, but it wasn't enough of a drawback to the awe I felt seeing Kal-el, Jor-el, Zod, and especially Faora done so well. It elaborated the sci-fi element beyond just crystals and more crystals which I thought was an improvement over the older movies. And Man of Steel may have some plot holes but so did Superman 1-4. Such as if he can turn back time, why not use that every time a villain gets the upper hand? You could call it Superman: Groundhog Day. He just keeps repeating things till he gets it done right. But despite that people still loved the movies, and I think the critics got it wrong with this one. I highly recommend checking it out. Expand
  84. Jun 22, 2013
    This, to me, is one of the best Superman movies in history. It was very informative, it educated the audience on who the Man of Steel was/is. I would have given it a 10, but I felt that his childhood should have been incorporated more into the movie, being how the beginning started off. But, overall, I loved this film.
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    best movie ever cant see why those critic don't see what I see bunch of idiots that movie was the best got great actors great action bunch of other things
  86. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the new movie is better to the previous and this movie have new plot new enemy and I think Henry cavil better than Brandon Roth and more serious Expand
  87. Jun 14, 2013
    Great Movie, most of critic reviews are nonsense, it is a great start for the new saga of Superman, the only weak points i found are, maybe too much details in the story, and maybe just maybe, too much destruction, but the movie was meant to be made in this way

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle. Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle.

Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting was terrific.

This is an almost perfect beginning for a perfect sequel.
  88. Jun 21, 2013
    Great reboot to a much beloved super hero. As long as you go into this knowing that it is in fact reimagining you won't be to disappointed. I hope that the keep the sequels coming.
  89. Jun 14, 2013
    It's a Zack Snyder film, but it felt more than that. It was a great visual spectacle, but cavill could have shown a little more emotion, but Shannon as zod was enough for me, people wanted a more serious superman and this is as serious as anything else, it didn't feel like a Nolan dark knight film. It was Snyder's and it was great.
  90. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the new movie because it started again and has finally a new enemy and kept the Lex Luther has a new plot of new players and I think Henry Kabila better at playing the Superman Brandon Roth Expand
  91. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in with high expectations and it managed to meet most of them. Which surprised me, it was fun and it tried to fit a lot in what seemed a short time, but was actually long. I'm sure the next one will have more character development and I can't wait. In short Super! Expand
  92. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie wasn't perfect, but by god it's awesome! It's so sad that the critics don't feel the same way. Criticism over the serious tone is probably due to harping upon nostalgia. This movie is so thoughtful and provocative, and the performances by the actors are phenomenal. My only sadness is that a quality movie may not get the attention it deserves.
  93. Jun 14, 2013
    Originally, I had low hopes due to the various negative critical responses. But as soon as I saw this movie at an advanced screening, I realized that those critics can just go die in a box!! MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have all been waiting for!! The action, visuals and cinematography are all brilliant!

Now does this movie have flaws? Yes it does. But those flaws can just

Now does this movie have flaws? Yes it does. But those flaws can just easily be covered up due to the movie's spectacle. Zack Snyder has never been one of my favorite directors, but I realized that it isn't his fault. He is unluckily paired with amateur writers with scripts and stories that are very blurry or hard to understand. Snyder is a great director; blame David S. Goyer. The only good movies he's done are the Dark Knight movies.

The acting in this movie should also be praised. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, and Kevin Costner all do marvelous jobs portraying their characters. But the real person who should be praised in this movie is Michael Shannon. He literally steals the show due to a powerful performance as General Zod.

Here's how I would rank this movie (On a scale of 1-10):

Editing- 9
    Music- 10
    Sound-10
    Cinematography-10

All in all, I rank this movie a 9 out of 10. I would definitely recommend anyone to go see it and I can't wait to see what will be in store for the next movie.
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    i don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i five rating 9 out of 10
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    I registered here at this site just so I could write about this movie. It is a must see. Saw it on Imax 3d, was incredible. Sound, effects, character developtment, action, pace, everything about this movie was phenomenal. I wasn't going to see it bc I was bored with the Superman story, but this has completely changed my opinion and made me a fan.
  96. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel Review (spoilers) English Version.
    How is this?. Superman does not kill ever, is not that their only unbreakable rule?. But no, this is a big change for an entire generation of fans of superman. By putting our hero in a world adapted to our reality would be a little improbable it was over pink.
    Disputes:
    This "reboot" (re-start) of the franchise and the superhero loved and wanted more from all periods presented controversy, as many have surely noticed divided the public into two parts (which you can notice in many of the criticisms this movie is having) those who loved him as my (I'm a superman fan-boy) and they did not like (mostly adult fans of the old iconic superman christopher reeve). The biggest problem is that by generating many changes and break so many rules of the old superman to make it "fit" somehow in this generation, takes a break with previous generations. This is where I have seen the iconic movies of reeve and have read comics and everything that surrounds the world of superman tell those generations "get over it". It is simple fact, in previous generations superman was so iconic for one simple reason, it worked for them. I believed possible and others, they served as inspiration, because superman is the best thing a person can aspire to be, beyond his powers, the man just does everything right and as it should be. But the idealism of perfection and practically "utopia" no longer fits in this reality. Not something that serves us more perfect, utopian, unattainable. We need something more "credible" because superman is the most humane thing to be and if it is so human to have problems and difficulties as all of us or possibly much greater than ours. Then a hero who has problems, difficult to adapt, and that to save humanity is to kill someone, it is more credible and more focused on a possible reality like ours, instead of as unattainable utopia of reeve. So the final feature which appears as a reporter superman does not fit all in this new adaptation.

Final Score: 9/10

You definitely have to go see it to also form our own opinion. Regardless of the criticism the film is a success statistically speaking in terms of money raised. And are preparing the sequel that if Mr. Nolan confirms again be involved going to be a They imagine that Nolan do what he did for the guason with Lex Luthor??? I blows my mind to imagine that.

Greetings and thank you all for reading enjoy this new, epic superman that brings our generation, and leave the past behind.
  97. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was an unnecessary reboot is completely absurd. It has been over 30 years since we had an origin story for Superman! Modern audiences have not been exposed toMan of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was an unnecessary reboot is completely absurd. It has been over 30 years since we had an origin story for Superman! Modern audiences have not been exposed to Superman in any real way ever since (Superman Returns does not count). If anyone deserves a fresh start, it’s Kal-El. Now, regarding the tone of the film, which critics have claimed is too dark and overtly serious, I feel that it works well considering what the filmmakers want to establish. Superman needs to exist in a more realistic world and that’s just what Man of Steel provided. Our world isn’t always happy and Man of Steel does wonders when it explores this very concept. However, I need to point out that Man of Steel is not the dull and lifeless film that critics are making it out to be. On the contrary, there are actually instances in the movie in which I and the rest of the audience broke out laughing. As for the plot, I genuinely believe that Man of Steel delivered a good story. Moviegoers get to see a dramatically different Krypton and are able to watch as Clark develops into the man he is destined to be. While there were issues with pacing, at times, this is easily forgiven considering the breadth of the story the filmmakers were trying to tell. The acting in the movie also happened to be quite excellent. Henry Cavill has a decent amount of dialogue and makes very good use of it. I believe that his Superman might be the best interpretation of the character (yes, even better than the great Christopher Reeve). Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, and the rest of the cast also do an incredible job. However, I need to give special praise to Kevin Costner. His Pa Kent truly is understandable and the love he demonstrates for his son was enough to bring many in the theater to tears. The action in this film is, naturally, amazing. Zack Snyder’s keenness for this stuff shines brightly in the film and I did not ever get tired of what I was seeing. To wrap things up, Man of Steel is a wonderful film and the critical reviews it has been getting show one thing: today’s professional reviewers have become so twisted that they can’t recognize a good film when it’s right before their eyes. Do yourself a favor and go out and see the film for yourself. You’ll love it. Expand
  98. Jun 17, 2013
    Awesooooooooooooooooooooome *_*

This film is just perfect

You could not ask for a better man of steel or to launch the project justice League

I dream since childhood

Snyder makes my dream I love you
  99. Nov 15, 2013
    I did not like this movie. Watching (nearly) indestructable people throw each other into objects is pretty boring. Then Superman simply breaks the bad guys neck...like why didn't he just do that in the first place. Looking back on it I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from watching it. I like some of Zach Snyders other movies, this screwed the pooch in my opinion.
  100. Oct 5, 2013
    Truly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. I am very sad that I did. It sucked!

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.