7.6

1. Jun 18, 2013
    30 minutes too long. Battle scenes were repetitive and crushingly boring. Casting was odd. Somber with no humor at all. Superman in the original comics and on TV always had at least some tongue in cheek humor. Worst of all Clark Kent's identity story is distorted from the original comic. Here, goes to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the movie after Lois has found out who he really30 minutes too long. Battle scenes were repetitive and crushingly boring. Casting was odd. Somber with no humor at all. Superman in the original comics and on TV always had at least some tongue in cheek humor. Worst of all Clark Kent's identity story is distorted from the original comic. Here, goes to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the movie after Lois has found out who he really is. Really? Oh, and Jimmy Olsen is AWOL. This movie is another example of Hollywood's current propensity to create spectacle for the sake of creating spectacle and expecting the public to eat it up. Enough already. Try putting some emotion in the story and developing characters we'll care about. This was a real disappointment. Expand
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    This is one of those movies that is mostly good but has some glaring weaknesses. The direction and feel of the movie was stylish and the effects were phenomenal. The acting was good and the movie told a good story with a resolution. On the other hand, the dialogue in this movie was sub par. The lines felt like they belonged in a trailer and that is not the way that real people talk.This is one of those movies that is mostly good but has some glaring weaknesses. The direction and feel of the movie was stylish and the effects were phenomenal. The acting was good and the movie told a good story with a resolution. On the other hand, the dialogue in this movie was sub par. The lines felt like they belonged in a trailer and that is not the way that real people talk. The weak script led to a disconnect between the audience and characters. Also, I personally enjoyed the final action sequence, but I can see why some thought it was too long and drawn out. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel was good, no doubt, but I still left the theater somewhat unsatisfied. Why? Well, its hard to say really... most of my criticisms about the movie are nit-picky and circumstantial. A great amount of time was spent on a reinvented Krypton, introducing fans to new concepts about Superman's back-story, and providing rich content for those less avid superman fans, that is, untilMan of Steel was good, no doubt, but I still left the theater somewhat unsatisfied. Why? Well, its hard to say really... most of my criticisms about the movie are nit-picky and circumstantial. A great amount of time was spent on a reinvented Krypton, introducing fans to new concepts about Superman's back-story, and providing rich content for those less avid superman fans, that is, until Krypton is destroyed and a young Kal-El is shipped off to Earth. There the story becomes a little convoluted. An adult Kal-El is now, all of a sudden introduced to the story, and what little information is provided about his childhood is presented in the form of flashbacks. While personally, I would have liked to see a bit more development in this area, I suppose it probably couldn't have been done much better. I mean, entire comic books and even a television series have been based solely on his adolescence. Proper development in this area would have taken another movie, and well, put simply, "aint nobody got time for that". The overall presentation of the movie was absolutely stunning, and Snyder does an excellent job of displaying Kryptonian power to scale, on Earth. The acting was pretty decent as well. It would be hard to not to with such a cast. Henry Cavill did an excellent job of portraying Superman's overall demeanor, almost seeming very Christopher Reeve like in is interpretation of the character. All in all, the only real complain I have about the movie was the lack of character development. If Lois Lane had died in the movie, not a tear would have been shed in the audience, simply because not enough time was spent developing her story, or anyone else's. Doing so, however, would have been a monumental task. This movie done right, would have been two different movies. So, in that sense the "Man of Steel" franchise seems a little incomplete. There is talk of a sequel, maybe then we'll see what this story, and this version of Superman is REALLY all about. Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2013
    Though fans might miss the levity that made Richard Donner's classic 1978 film Superman: The Movie such a game-changing joy, the thing that really sells this respectful reboot is the dramatic conviction underlying all the mega-scale mayhem.
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    Man of Steel is the breath of fresh air that's been so needed in the Superman film saga. It does its own thing respectively, completely ignoring the Donner films and instead, focusing more on the comic book material. At times a bit uneven with its pacing, and occasionally sacrificing character development/backstory for action, Man of Steel nevertheless is the crowd pleasing, action packedMan of Steel is the breath of fresh air that's been so needed in the Superman film saga. It does its own thing respectively, completely ignoring the Donner films and instead, focusing more on the comic book material. At times a bit uneven with its pacing, and occasionally sacrificing character development/backstory for action, Man of Steel nevertheless is the crowd pleasing, action packed spectacle that Superman fans have been waiting years for. 3.5/5 Expand
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    Good movie. A bit too overblown on action in the third act, but the movie has a good story, good acting, a refreshingly new take on the origin story of Superman, beautiful visuals and incredible action-scenes. A good start to what is hopefully going to become a new Superman franchise with Henry Cavill as the Superman for generations to come.
  7. Feb 2, 2014
    Can't say i have ever seen anything superman related before this movie, so my review is solely based on the film itself rather than its place within its universe and to be honest i liked it.

Sure there are some problems i kinda feel that the first section on Krypton should have been longer and it would have been interesting to see Clarke (or whatever you want to call him) growing up on earth in a more fleshed out manner but the film handles them well enough.

What it really excels at however is the action scenes which if your into explosions and huge effects are pretty awesome and the music during these scenes is pretty good also, although it did remind me a lot of Mass Effect 3 with the world maker looking like a reaper and some of the same musical effects being shared. (thats not a fact they just sound really really similar in places) Louis's character is also pretty well fleshed out and although she does get saved a lot she handles herself pretty well overall.

I feel like i'm missing what all the controversy is about, as far as i can tell Man of Steel is a good action movie that kept me enthralled throughout. Personally i enjoyed Man of Steel more than films like the avengers which i felt was massively overrated....then again it may just be me.
  8. Jun 27, 2013
    As an avid fan of superhero movies, I started this one with high hopes and expectations but was highly disappointed. There was really no character development with most of the movie being outrageous fight scenes that ran so long they frequently lost my attention. The dialogue was cheesy and filled with cliches and awkward attempts at humor. The acting itself wasn't overly terrible but theAs an avid fan of superhero movies, I started this one with high hopes and expectations but was highly disappointed. There was really no character development with most of the movie being outrageous fight scenes that ran so long they frequently lost my attention. The dialogue was cheesy and filled with cliches and awkward attempts at humor. The acting itself wasn't overly terrible but the horrible script and jumbled mess of overused special effects make this move just not worth watching. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    Cavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's notCavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's not exciting.
    argonautis.eu
  10. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally I thought this movie was going to be terrible, but every part of the movie seemed meticulous. I wanted a Superman movie that didn't cover his origin story but here it doesn't feel like an origin story because it takes place during the same day. What made me angry was everytime superman got tinto a fought he destroyed a lot of buildings and it took away the fact that he is a vigilante. Also it feels that superman evolves as a fighter which makes you way more invested into the character of superman. Expand
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    I wanted to like this movie as Superman was a mainstay around our old TV, but alas, it was not to be. This version, poorly written, acted, and presented was a great disappointment, filled with cliches and gratuitous violence. So sad. Left before it ended, thankfully.
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious,I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious, overlong action scenes.

If there's one thing the movie does get right, it's the casting. The lead actors are all fantastic, which helps the audience forgot how mediocre the script is for the first hour or so of the movie. After that point, everything is wall-to-wall building-crunching explosive action which seems to be catered specifically towards the Transformers crowd, but feels horrifically out of place in a Superman movie. For all its attempts to be "realistic", the movie glosses over the apocalyptic destruction and probably massive death toll wreaked by Superman and Zod over the course of what seems like four hours.

The movie overall is extraordinarily unfaithful to Superman's character and lore. There are little mistakes throughout the movie, but the climax of the movie contains a betrayal so jaw-droppingly huge that I'm honestly surprised DC allowed it on screen. Perhaps the biggest problem the movie has is that it takes itself far too seriously. Superman has always had an aspect of silliness that the original films managed to capture nicely, but is completely absent from Man of Steel. Superman is a timeless character, and rebooting him isn't a bad idea, but it would take a director much more talented and intelligent than Zack Snyder.
  13. Jun 30, 2013
    Man of Steel is a decent beginning to a new series of films. The film is action packed, with a semi-boring back story and a Superman that does not feel quite like Superman
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. BasicallyI'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
  15. Jul 16, 2013
    Overblown with tons of action-packed sequences, "Man of Steel" is able to slightly exceed its lack of humor and much joy in the film. While the film does feel hectic at times, the high flying spectacles and exhilarating action are interesting enough to exceed some faults.
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    Compared to Superman Returns this movie is a hundred times better and I'm surprised to see how it's getting such negative reviews from so many movie critics. Is it as good or better than the recent Batman movie? No but it doesn't have to be to be a good movie and I really like this modern re-telling of the Superman story. As well as the actors do a great job in the movie especiallyCompared to Superman Returns this movie is a hundred times better and I'm surprised to see how it's getting such negative reviews from so many movie critics. Is it as good or better than the recent Batman movie? No but it doesn't have to be to be a good movie and I really like this modern re-telling of the Superman story. As well as the actors do a great job in the movie especially Louis and Superman's Dad were great in the movie. The fight scenes are also amazing in this movie as well with the fight in Smallville being my favorite in the whole movie. Overall it's a good movie worth seeing if your either a Superman or superhero fan with it only having one huge major fault. But I won't spoil anything but Superman does one huge thing that is very, very un-Superman like. Expand
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    Always the same things. The Superman movies have to stop someday. Do not see it, because it has nothing new to show. I am very disappointed. That's my opinion.
  18. Jul 5, 2013
    Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
  19. Jul 5, 2013
    What the film does well is set tone and deliver a story that is equally grounded, interesting, and enjoyable. Unfortunately, the film suffers from a number of technical shortcomings that may break the experience for some. After the film's opening sequence on Krypton, the Man of Steal focuses on Clark's journey to find a place in the only world he has ever known. To show the hardships thatWhat the film does well is set tone and deliver a story that is equally grounded, interesting, and enjoyable. Unfortunately, the film suffers from a number of technical shortcomings that may break the experience for some. After the film's opening sequence on Krypton, the Man of Steal focuses on Clark's journey to find a place in the only world he has ever known. To show the hardships that young Clark endured, flashbacks are used, generally showing different points in Clark's youth as he struggled to deal with his differences. The film then jumps back to adult Clark, as he wonders the United States, looking for some clue as to his origins and what his purpose in life may be. While both the past and present stories are interesting, the movie never stops to allow the audience time to really take in what is happening on screen. The scenes between young Clark and his Earth father are particularly endearing, but the audience is never really afforded time to absorb and appreciate the importance of their relationship. Instead, viewers are allowed a small sequence of dialogue, before they are jarred back in the present where adult Clark is in a completely different situation than he was the last time we saw him. In fact, the film plays leap frog over itself through half of the movie, trying to tell two stories at the cost of making both of them feel hollow.
    The second half of the movie is much more focused but highlights another major flaw in The Man of Steel: The action was disappointing. Some time in the production of the Man of Steel, Snyder and Co. decided that they needed action. Lots and LOTS of action. Bigger is better right? In this case, no. What starts off as over the top fighting, soon becomes a series of monotone action sequences lost in a white noise of fallen buildings and explosions. There came a point in the film's final battle where I became completely bored with the demi-gods that were battling on screen. Instead of fighting hand to hand, the Man of Steel's Superman (and its villains) generally just throw each other around. Usually through sky scrapers and chain restaurants. Seriously, if you watch it, count how many times somebody throws someone else through, into, or at a building. Though there is always a place for over the top action in the Super Hero genre, the inclusion of more technical hand-to-hand fighting (In addition to the 'splosions) would have broken up the action while making Superman seem like more of a fighter and less of a brutish brawler.
    So, action and story aside, who is the Man of Steel's Superman? To my surprise, he was surprisingly human. Though he is 100% good guy, Superman is not the virtuous boyscout you may know from other versions of the hero. TMOS presents a Superman that is man first and extraterrestrial super-hero second. He isn't completely sure of himself nor his actions. This leads to one of the most surprise (and controversial) endings to a Super Hero movie to date. Superman's ability to be fallible adds a texture to the character that is rarely seen and becomes easily one of the most enjoyable parts of the film.
    All in all, The Man of Steel is an Okay movie. It gets a lot of things right but never seems to overcome its glaring flaws. Superman has never been more relatable and perhaps with the origin out of the way, the next outing by Snyder and DC will be much more enjoyable.
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    'Man of Meh' in my opinion. Movie did not inspire much emotion to be honest, it feels like they took the recipe book for 'making a good comic type movie' ticked all boxes then moved on. The special affects were great as well as the sound, even though it was extremely loud at times. Overall the movie left me wanting some kind of connection with the character. It really does leave me'Man of Meh' in my opinion. Movie did not inspire much emotion to be honest, it feels like they took the recipe book for 'making a good comic type movie' ticked all boxes then moved on. The special affects were great as well as the sound, even though it was extremely loud at times. Overall the movie left me wanting some kind of connection with the character. It really does leave me thinking should there even be another one? To be honest I don't care either way. Expand
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    Man of Steel proves that Superman is only interesting when he has a decent adversary. Although the final act may be too reminiscent of Avengers Assemble, Man of Steel is well made and well played, especially by Crowe and Costner as the fathers. Too long, perhaps, but the movement between past and present generally work. Overall, much better than expected and reported. So long as Lex LuthorMan of Steel proves that Superman is only interesting when he has a decent adversary. Although the final act may be too reminiscent of Avengers Assemble, Man of Steel is well made and well played, especially by Crowe and Costner as the fathers. Too long, perhaps, but the movement between past and present generally work. Overall, much better than expected and reported. So long as Lex Luthor isn't the only villain in the sequel, the franchise may have a positive future. Expand
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    This is the best superman film to date, finally my childhood hero can be done justice in this awesome movie. I do not know why this movie is looked down upon, yes it is a different superman, but I find this one more believable. Not only that but this is a movie where superman actually FIGHTS unlike the GOD AWFUL Superman Returns crap which somehow scored higher. Any way the flashbacksThis is the best superman film to date, finally my childhood hero can be done justice in this awesome movie. I do not know why this movie is looked down upon, yes it is a different superman, but I find this one more believable. Not only that but this is a movie where superman actually FIGHTS unlike the GOD AWFUL Superman Returns crap which somehow scored higher. Any way the flashbacks rendition-ed in perfectly and I think that the action scenes were fantastic go out and see this movie you will not be disappointed. Even a hardcore superman fan like me can put up with a changed superman. It is worth every penny. Expand
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    I didn't have any doubts that Zack Snyder would disappoint me, in fact he didn't The whole movie is just a great portrait of the "man of steel", it's the Superman that I loved to watch and the story i just well-narrated.
    I don't understand all the hate to this film, but I just want to say that "the director of a movie is just the illustrator of his own comic", so don't pretend to watch a movie perfectly-copied-by-the-comic, honestly I would gave to this movie 3 or less instead of 9 Btw, Zakk Snyder made a perfect job with some Nolan's councils, I guess (I saw his paw xD) and when I watched it, my adrenaline began to flow Henry Cavill gave a face to the new Superman and he made a great acting, really great acting for this role and the whole cast made it the same, expecially for Russel Crowe and Kevin Costner (just amazing acting),Michael Shannon was a son of in this movie, only him could do a role like Zod haha !
    Conclusions The film is great, is a director's view of Supes and we can all enjoy this movie Cheers
  24. Jul 26, 2013
    As for the story, it was good, but could be better! The thoughtful characters, memorable performances, good music and effects. Its the new Superman, the best Man of Steel
  25. Jul 26, 2013
    The film begins with a fantastic action packed introduction on Krypton and it is truly a thrilling start to the film and the segment from when Kal-El arrives on earth to when he takes on the role of Superman succeeds in keeping the audience entertained through an origin story they have already seen before. One of the film's greatest attributes is the decisions and directions it takes inThe film begins with a fantastic action packed introduction on Krypton and it is truly a thrilling start to the film and the segment from when Kal-El arrives on earth to when he takes on the role of Superman succeeds in keeping the audience entertained through an origin story they have already seen before. One of the film's greatest attributes is the decisions and directions it takes in how to tell this iconic story. However the same cannot be said about the execution of these great ideas as there is not enough time given to develop them further. Once Kal-El finally puts on the suit things really start to pick up and the action really is outstanding despite occasionally dragging on for too long particularly in the final fight. Another gripe I had with the film is that there are only about four characters that get enough screen time and development which leaves actors such as Lawrence Fishburne not getting a chance to shine. All performances are good in this film and Henry Cavill does a great job in the lead but Russell Crowe's Jor-El is an obvious stand out here. Man of Steel is a good and much needed reboot of Superman that keeps the majority of the audience entertained. Despite a few flaws that hold the film back from being truly great Man of Steel is certainly lots of fun and could definitely be the launching pad for a franchise Expand
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    First viewing I came out conflicted. I had gone in with a few too many preconceived notions, and despite a deep admiration for Zack Snyder, I left the theater with mixed feelings.
    Namely, the overall tone of the film (fairly dark), the seeming portrayal of Pa Kent, and the end resolution of the final conflict of the film.
    On a second viewing, however, everything fit together nearly

On a second viewing, however, everything fit together nearly perfectly. It may not have been the Superman film I expected or wanted, but in the end it was an amazing film and a great introduction to the DC extended film universe.

The action scenes are, of course, amazing this is Zack Snyder. The acting (with minor quibbles about Amy Adams) is excellent. The biggest fault to the film has to be the script it feels like an attempt to Dark Knight the Man of Steel but the director working with Cavill (Superman's actor) gave us a modern day but still very true-to-form Last Son of Krypton. The storytelling is great, but the plot itself is not what I would have necessarily wanted overall.

To clarify, however, I'm not saying the plot is bad. I'm saying that, in a perfect world with me calling the shots, the plot would have been different. It's not a perfect world (part of the point of the film's story) and it's the plot we got. Snyder and crew make it more than work, they almost make it sing.

The score grew on me with repeat viewings as well. It certainly adds perfectly to the emotions of the various scenes. If they continue to use it I expect it to fall into line with the classic Williams theme (though, to be fair, it will never supplant it.)

Easily worth a 10 out of 10. Not quite Snyder's best work, but considering how much was riding on this and how constrained he surely was, this was a stellar piece of cinematic storytelling.
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    Nice plot, great actions, and good actors and actresses. It gives a new perspective of Superman movie. Started with giving a dream of making a superhero who can fly in the big screen to expanding it into a new atmosphere in it. Snyder completed two aspects, first to make Superman in reality, how the boy grew up with such powers and complexion, with how people would react his existence, andNice plot, great actions, and good actors and actresses. It gives a new perspective of Superman movie. Started with giving a dream of making a superhero who can fly in the big screen to expanding it into a new atmosphere in it. Snyder completed two aspects, first to make Superman in reality, how the boy grew up with such powers and complexion, with how people would react his existence, and two....the limitation of his great power when fighting with his enemy. it's just so wow boom bang action indeed. These two are never been explored much in The Superman movie. The only thing that is lacking in this reboot is the love story. Lois' part is one gap that Snyder really doesn't know how to fill. So its quite a waste of Amy Adams' acting. Expand
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    amazing movie can't wait for the sequel superman is back general zod was awesome strong performance man of steel does have some flaws but it makes it up by giving new taste to the grandfather of superheroes
  29. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally loved this movie. It was a pleasure to see and to get engaged into the story and the characters Superman way better than the previous Superman in Superman returns and the others. I felt as if the story and the characters could have had a better thought process thought. Oh so Clark's dad thinks he an outcast and then kills himself for that idea (It was a marvelous scene which was very shocking and amazing) but that doesn't really excuse what humanity is like our survival instincts would have popped up in that situation. But I respect the character and the time they spent developing him. Excellent sci phi, The best I've seen in awhile in comparison to the other movies that came out (The purge,Evil dead) this one is amazing but due to the ending Superman kills Zod and the villans just being dumb. That's what keeps this movie from being a 10/10 100% recommend and I will be buying it when it comes out on Dvd Watch http://www.angryjoeshow.com/ For game reviews movie reviews and a lot of comedy Expand
  30. Jul 30, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Was it great scriptwise and with some acting?, no. Did it show the Superman I´ve always wanted to see?, ABSOLUTELY. This is Superman.
  31. Aug 5, 2013
    "Man of Steel", in my opinion, has everything I wanted out of a superhero movie. Superman is decorated with darker shades as far as the overall atmosphere, and the plot seems so engaging. Though many critics have seen the "flaws" of this film, I was one of the lucky members of its audience to see the hard work put into making it.
  32. Aug 7, 2013
    A reboot is that, a reboot. An origin story tells the beginning of the character. I loved the new take on our classical and beloved Superman and while shocked by the ending I understand this is the explanation needed for Superman values and personality. There is a lot more to tell and I wish the creative group find its way the present us a modern mature all powered Superman in MOS2
  33. Aug 9, 2013
    First of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on his journey, trying to find himself it was perfect. Great acting, great story. But you should not see this movie, and expect it is like the ones withFirst of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on his journey, trying to find himself it was perfect. Great acting, great story. But you should not see this movie, and expect it is like the ones with Christopher Reeve. Those were good, but like many says, it is time to change something. Just the idea of using the suit from the new 52 was great. I couldn't have taken it serious, if he had the red underwear on
    In my opinion, this is the best "superhero" movie I have seen, together with The Dark Knight.
    No movie is perfect, but I can't see the reason why some can it is pure garbage. IT IS NOT. It is a MASTERPIECE in the comic-hero genre.
  34. Aug 12, 2013
    The movie is great, performance, acting, effects, and the way they tell the story is very refreshing, of course people old or more than 30 years old and with little space in his heads cant undestand or acept that christofer reeves was great, but.... guys is other time, is a new movie, came on the effects here is extremilly more incredible that in the all movies ever made of this iconicThe movie is great, performance, acting, effects, and the way they tell the story is very refreshing, of course people old or more than 30 years old and with little space in his heads cant undestand or acept that christofer reeves was great, but.... guys is other time, is a new movie, came on the effects here is extremilly more incredible that in the all movies ever made of this iconic heroe. i hate to allways see a superman who with a little crystal can be defeated, came on... inclusive in superman returns he can carrie out of earth a planet basically made of cryptonite.... how time he was expose to that and dont die... well of course all fans of batman will be not funny to se a superman who can kick ass of batman in a wisper but is the reallity of this universe. if existed. superman will be basically indestructible... and came on batman cant live for ever. and all forget basic things like supernan is not human so pls, dont thing in him like a human, because is not. Excelent job guys i know man of steel II will be a great movie and batman will be great too in this cross over. But pls!!! dont try batman like a person capable to defeat superman because all know....is more tham imposible... and if you take lex on the bigscreen pls a lex like in smallville tv show will be great. Not an idiot like superman I, II, and others. Is a new world, we need new points of view and olders with close minds critic must be ignored. Expand
  35. Aug 15, 2013
    I'll start with the film's biggest flaw: it clearly can be split into 2 short films:

1. A sci-fi character drama about an alien trying to fit into society while struggling to contain and control his superhuman abilities. So this is what the first 4/5 seasons of Smallville should've been. The fact that it's handled via non-chronological flashback gives it dynamism, so it never becomes stale or boring. We even see an awesome version of Krypton, which actually looks alien, unlike Michael Shannon's (General Zod) screaming tantrums. Also, Russell Crowe is a badass Jor-El.

But that lasts for like 15 minutes; the real highlights are the Kents (played by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) and all the child actors whom I don't even want to kill. Good job, Warner! I know I haven't said much of Cavill up until this point, but he doesn't have much to do in this part of the movie, but when he's on screen, he's serviceable and the emphasis is more on the struggles of young/teenage Clark. We get to see the man (/boy) with godlike powers constantly get bullied and emotionally tortured by idiots, a**holes and kids, which makes us see his vulnerability and desire to distance himself from us.

When he's an adult though he (sort of) loses his calm once.

Also, some citizens of Smallville (sort) of know who Clark really is. That's actually a refreshing and, if you think about it, logical take on the situation. At the end of this almost masterfully put together first hour there's a strange death scene however, which is justified in the movie, but I can see people having an issue with it.

2. Here come the problems (and not just the not ginger Jenny Alsen). This is basically an alien invasion/action movie in which Snyder lets his inner child blow s**t up, just without the slow mo.

I'm just going to say: the action is great, made even better with the HD handheld camera perspective and the sound audio effects (along with Hans Zimmer's score of course) and the CGI is amazing. Thrown punches really do have impact and combatant characters don't look like rag dolls on ropes (I'm looking at you, X-Men Origins). Amy Adams is the best Lois Lane in a long time, Laurence Fishburne plays a great white (punpunpuuun) guy (note to Goyer: Perry NEVER says and never would've said "Now's not the time for journalistic integrity!"), Cavill is actually a perfect fit for the big blue boyscout and Shannon is (somehow) just serviceable; but the menacing Faora (played by Antje Traue) steals the show for the time she's on screen. Oh, and the Lois (at that point he didn't have the name, so let's call him) Hopeman interrogation scene was awesome.

Not quite this awesome though.

Now for the major (yet minor... Well, f***k you too!) flaws:

- Superman punches Zod into Smallville when there's nothing but wide open (uninhabited) fields surrounding them. That's now very cost or human life friendly there, Clarkie. AND right after this Martha Kent remains with Faora and a Kryptonian Pain and Gain reject AND THEY DON'T KIDNAP HER; because who needs leverage against Superman?

- Necessary (almost like racism in Transformers) military-bro eye bonding moments. Because nothing says America more than the good old (red, white Blue Steel.

- Unnecessarily long action scene with a dubstep squid robot/ship, but I'm okay with that. Even spell check hates dubstep and so should Superman. If Skrillex is Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman, I'm giving it 10/10 right now, because yes, dubstep is humanity's biggest enemy. Right after Adam Sandler.

- The only Kryptonian scientist has a (glorious and) heavy German accent; in case you haven't noticed that the genocidal aliens with superiority complex are space Nazis.

- Another controversial death scene that really could have been executed, pun intended, better.

- More people die than there are Justin Bieber fans in Kansas, yet they don't get any kind of a memorial service or ceremony and that's just cold. If the movie specified they really were Girl Wonder followers, it would be a different story.

A final and omnipresent flaw of the movie is the lack of humor. It's unfortunate, but the character stuff evens that out. The guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders needs some light hearted moments every now and then.

In all seriousness, as you may have noticed, most of the problems are minor and my biggest flaw (the easy separation in 2 parts) isn't even a one if you don't mind heavy, dense action. Maybe it might have been a good idea to mix punches with tears and words a little bit more often for the sake of more action-phobic movie goers. Irregardless, Snyder still does far more right than wrong and this is definitely a huge step forward for him as a director.

So, Man of Steel soared mightily, stumbled a bit at the last few yards, but still reached the Sun without falling. It's one of my favorite movies of the year, along with Iron Man 3 (I’m guessing up until I see Elysium).
  36. Aug 20, 2013
    Although rather loosely based on the Superman story, this movie provides a fantastic kick start for a new superman. In a era of Iron Man and The Avengers for the superman story to survive it needs to adapt. I believe this movie is a step in that direction. Stunning special effects and strong performances from the leading actors makes for a must see movie.
  37. Nov 12, 2013
    Devoid of any real relation with the previous Reeve classics,but Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are an interesting couple for future films, and Michael Shannon's decent dramatic role helps with the scripts plot holes, which are more numerous than should be, and tedious pacing. I liked it, didn't love it.
  38. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We start this re-boot of the Superman franchise respectively on Superman's home planet, Krypton. There we are told by Jor-El (Russel Crowe) that the Kyrptonians have used up their resources and that their planet won't last much longer. But their meeting is interrupted by a revolt, lead by the military General Zod (Michael Shannon). The planet is in turmoil, but during the revolution Jor-El manages to send his only son off the planet to escape the planet's doomed fate. Cut to thirty years later where we find Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) on a fishing vessel. An oil rig is on fire and he goes in to save the workers. We are told the rest of his story through a series of flashbacks as he continues on his journey to find his purpose. He was found by Martha and Jonathan Kent (Diane Lane and Kevin Costner respectively) and raised to hide his powers because his father believed the world wasn't ready for him. Clark now has to make the choice, whether he is ready for the responsibility or if he will continue to hide his true self.
    The script written by David S. Goyer (known for co-writing Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy) is very well done and the dialogue sounds very good. But the film falls with the performances, nearly all of them don't give the energy or emotion that should come out of a script like this. It's sad to see this script go to waste.
    On a visual aspect, the effects are very good for the most part but only when you can see them. The camera work in Man of Steel isn't all that great. If it's not a stationary shot then the camera is unbelievably shaky and the scenes are very hard to depict. Sadly though for being a film by director Zack Snyder, Man of Steel was rather lacking on great visuals, especially compared to his earlier films like Watchmen. Although we are left with one great moment that looks like it came straight out of a comic book and it's meaning sparked debate between my friends and myself.
    And even though I've been complaining about a lot of the aspects of the film, I did have a good time watching it. The action was very intense and the ending was absolutely stupendous. I'm really excited to see where they will go if the producers decide to make a sequel. Overall it was a joy to see and it outshines the last reboot, Superman Returns, by a long shot.
  39. Sep 1, 2013
    Over the years, the Superman movies have all had quite the sentimental hold on my heart. Of course I have had my favorites and my least favorites, beloved nonetheless, but there was always this sense of longing I felt at the end of them. When I first heard about the "Man of Steel" and it's epic, amazing, beautiful production team I absolutely knew that that wistful feeling would finally beOver the years, the Superman movies have all had quite the sentimental hold on my heart. Of course I have had my favorites and my least favorites, beloved nonetheless, but there was always this sense of longing I felt at the end of them. When I first heard about the "Man of Steel" and it's epic, amazing, beautiful production team I absolutely knew that that wistful feeling would finally be sated. This was the take on Superman I had been waiting for since I had first seen the original. No longer confined by the limits of the technology of our time meant a vision that was unhindered by the laws of what was realistically attainable.

Unfortunately, I knew that not everyone was going to give this movie the respect and appreciation it undoubtedly earned. Though Superman is a fictional character, he in fact receives very real factual scrutiny. I believe this is due to a number of different ill perceived reasons: As the most widely known, first and original superhero, his story has been told a great number of different times and people are easily desensitized, especially in this "golden age of superhero movies". Another reason, I believe, is that people love to tear down and criticize icons. They splash their names on them with abated acrimony, laced with obtuse accusations and fallacy just to create a controversy, all for a little attention. It's really such a shame.

Entertainment Weekly is quoted saying, "...he's been transformed into the latest in a long line of soul-searching super-brooders." An article on cbsnews.com says something similar stating, "The film wallows in sorrow more than soars. It lacks the fun and lightheartedness of previous (Superman) movies." Even Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun writes, "Very little joy or humor in this story. Leaves something to be wanted."

Saying these allegations are preposterously incredulous is a severe understatement. I mean, do the critics actually try and understand the movie they are writing about? Is it not realistic that Clark would be "soul-searching" from the moment he not only found out he had not been born into his family, but also from an entirely different planet? Are you saying it isn't pragmatic for the film to lack "joyfulness and humor" when once the protagonist finally meets the handful of people from his obliterated home world he's been searching for the last 33 years, he is forced to banish them into an eternal prison dimension and beat the rest to death with his bare hands in order to protect the innocent people and his adopted home from utter destruction? Is he not allowed to "wallow in sorrow"? It's not like these are new-age ideas and story-theories in the Superman universe, the director just puts that event in a tangible, real world setting. How would you feel if you had to endure something as immeasurably agonizing as that?

Despite some of it's extremely negligent, distasteful reviews, "Man of Steel" is the absolute greatest depiction of Superman I have ever seen. It's story telling is incredibly flawless and it moves between Clark's origin and the main theme of the movie with a graceful and fulfilling ease. From the breathtaking opening scene of the struggle on dying Krypton to the legendary, groundbreaking, afflicted battle between the Man of Steel and General Zod, it is an epic showcase of achievement. The cast is absolutely incredible and their talent is unsurpassed as every scene they will pull you in and make you feel like you are a part of the immeasurable grandeur of this awe-inspiring motion picture. I look forward to the sequel with the same tenacity and impatience that I held for this piece of history.
  40. Nov 1, 2013
    It's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked theIt's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked the beginning that showed us a glimpse of Krypton and developed Superman's backstory and origins. I liked the cast, especially Faora and General Zod.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  41. Sep 16, 2013
    remember a time when having your main character make jokes wasn't something just reserved for iron man? sigh... me too

is man of steel a good movie? yes. is it THE superman movie? no. in my opinion, the best superman movie will probably be reserved for one of those DC films that they release every year. you know, the ones that they only have on netflix and are drawn by the guys who made the justice league show? the one where the black green lantern was in a relationship with hawkgirl?

getting back on track, Man of Steel is the big movie for DC this summer, and boy does it fall flat on those accusations. from the very beginning of the movie, i was instantly hooked in. the shots that they showed of planet krypton were beautiful. i loved the creativity with such an alien world and how the technology and society had a very organic metallic feel. everything was fun to watch and even more fun to see other characters interact with them. after what you all expect to happen, spoiler krypton won't be found on any maps anytime soon, the movie takes a very intelligent step by making the next 20 minutes or so all about clark being the hero that he is supposed to be. it's about him realizing that his powers are meant for good and that he has the possibility to do great. he isn't in a costume, he isn't flying across the sky, he is just a man.... of steel (i couldn't help myself)

after that however, the movie takes a turn for the worse. once supes gets into his new suit, you'll realize that the filmmakers had a fondness for the color gray. every shot, every scene, every character has a grey color pallet. i'm sorry, but this is superman. this is a figure known globally as a figure of freedom, justice, and the american way. seeing him in this dark and gritty world is extremely out of place. is it nice to see that man of steel (hey, the don't call him superman in the movie...) doesn't have to be as dull as a gallon of cement? yes, but it makes later scenes of man of steel doing uncharacteristically dark actions even more out of place and awkward.

in the end of the day, if you are a fan of superman (of steel), there could be worse superman films to watch (looking at you, superman returns...), but if you were really waiting for something great and original, better wait for the sequel.
  42. Nov 13, 2013
    Man of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of SteelMan of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of Steel is a great movie overall, it has the best super hero fight ive ever seen and does not deserve all the negative reviews from the critics. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  43. Oct 13, 2013
    all around it was good with things like effects, action, dialog and so on but i fell that the back story about Clark's past was a bit rushed but at least it was not to long
  44. Oct 18, 2013
    It seems that DC has started something brand new in Zack Snyder's: Man of Steel. The movie packs a whole array of characters, suspense and action into its story. It upgrades from Superman Returns and brings a whole new array of elements to the DC Cinematic Universe; if there will be one that is.

Man of Steel brings together a whole bunch of actors to the table and each one of them delivers exceptionally well. Henry Cavill as Superman nails the role perfectly, touching up on not only his physical side but his emotional side too. That's what I like to see, I'd love to see how emotional Superman, who is essentially a god, can touch up on his emotions if he has all this power.

Amy Adams a Lois Lane and Diane Lane and Martha Kent are the leading ladies and boy do they deliver. Adams gives Lane that rough and tough feel about her that was present in comics and DC animated movies and that's what I like about her in this film. Diane Lane's the same who plays that overbearing mother who always cares for Clark/Kal/Supes throughout the whole film. The father figures in the movie are just as good too. Russel Crowe as Jor El and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent play a rather large role here as they both are great fatherly figures.

However, the big actor in this film has to be that of Michael Shannon as General Zod. He easily stole the show when I watched it and I easily felt creeped whenever he was on the screen. He was menacing, cruel and some could argue that he was a little bit evil. One of the best parts of the film.

However, amongst all the greatness of this movie I feel like there are some flaws that I should address. Superman is seen as the symbol of hope in the comics, animation and hell, even in the movie itself. The reason I'm saying this is because Man of Steel sometimes felt a bit too 'dark knight' for my taste. It's like Snyder and Goyer were trying to Batmanize Superman and that is a big no no. Another thing that bugged me quite a bit was that there was no break from the darkness and no humor was involved in the movie. Just a few light jokes could have easily broke up the Batman type mood that the movie was. But that's I really found wrong with it.

Man of Steel rocks! It is a great film that really dives into what makes Superman who he is, granted there are a few mistakes here and there and one big occurrence that would split the fans down the middle but overall it's amazing. It is easily a contender for my movie of the year!

Pros:
    -Amazing acting
    -Spectacular visuals
    -Superman is reborn!

Cons:
    -Too dark in most stages
    -Little to no humor included
    -Scene that would divide the fans

VERDICT:
  45. Oct 21, 2013
    After watching Man of Steel the first time I had mixed feelings, its was an amazing new take. Especially compared to the previous films. The was so much action going on throughout the film.
    But after watching it for the second time i really appreciate this movie in all its own glory. The time was ripe for the new take on the franchise, and Zack did it great, from the actors to the abrupt ending which only show how much the superman character cares about all life in general! Great Movie the more you watch it and can't wait for the sequel!
  46. Oct 24, 2013
    Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?"Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?" is a valid question in this film, unlike Brian Singer's 2006 martyr depicting disaster in which it was just assumed that Superman somehow wins (aside from the incredibly stupid plot). Focusing on the origin story also gives us insight into the superhero abilities of the character and the limits of his power; not the god like omnipotent Superman that critics love, but a superhero with abilities and powers that have weaknesses (otherwise Green Lantern would never be a match for Superman). This is a movie that will delight fans of the superhero and the comics, not over intellectualizing critics who love the 'idea' of Superman and what he represents. As for the action a nicely nefarious and destructive earth-destroying plot by the bad guys, fleshed out with some great graphics and art work. Good fight scenes that see Supe getting variously pummelled and also doling out some beatings. Again, that doesn't seem to appeal to the critics who slammed the film for 'too much action'. Dude, this is Superman; if you want character development, watch Pride and Prejudice. Ironically, the critics miss their own portentous pretentiousness when they at once claim the film is too sombre (I think it has an appropriately dark mood) and then ask why the characters and love story aren't the focus. Superman; action-film; ass kicking; excellent. They also seem to miss that Nolan and Snyder manage to masterfully highlight how being a child of two worlds is the central dichotomy of Superman's character and how it hurts him to be alone. It’s not a maudlin love for Lois Lane that’s tearing him apart, it’s the loss of his parents, his planet, his past, his people. He is evolutionarily superior to humans, but chooses to protect them out of love. That is the essence of the character, an idea that previous films have touched upon but never delved into, including the classic, but campy, 70's films. A lot of criticism focused on how the duality of Clark Superman is missing, while missing this obvious duality between the human and the alien that is actually what Superman is about. More to the point, comparisons to the previous ‘Nice-guy’ Superman of yore and the whole idea that the character has lost his ‘innocence’ are almost nauseating; the whole reason Superman is amazing is because he’s a bad-ass, not because he’s a nice guy. In the 70’s it was possible to be a nice guy, witty bad ass, like Chris Reeve, but that kind of humour is completely passé today. The film does have genuine moments of comedy, but they are situational and not forced or driven by an innate image of the character. This Superman is a genuine bad-ass, quite unlike Brendan Routh. Comparisons to The Avengers also miss the point; The Avengers’ quirky humour is a part of the Marvel universe; DC comics have always had a darker, more serious, tone to them that the producers put across well in this film. All in all, a film that critics are sure to hate but that audiences are sure to love. Expand
  47. Oct 27, 2013
    the best superman movie i've ever seen.....the origin of superman is so boldly represented at this movie which really is awesome. i like the appearance of superman very much. specially the costume is extraordinary than any other superman movies or series es. the actions were amazing. it sets superman as a real hero in each and every mind i think.......
  48. Nov 3, 2013
    Simply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, theSimply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, the planet Krypton, General. Eagerly looking forward to the sequel promises much more to come and the Justice League. Expand
  49. Dec 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the best Superman movie I have ever watched. Snyder has given us a 2hr 15 min film filled with action, sentiment and most importantly grounding Superman in our 2013 world.

The film starts off with Jor El, magnificently played by Russel Crowe, trying his best to send his son away from dying Krypton. He encounter general Zod whom would do anything to safeguard his people. A fist fight follows up and Crowe successfully sends Superman to earth. This whole sequence was shot with great spectacle by Snyder. The action when Crowe rides on the dragon and when he fights with Zod were shot fantastically. Hans's music stands out big time during these sequences as he follows a theme in the entire movie. I will come back to this later.

After Superman is grounded in our world, we see him wandering around just like everyone else and meanwhile David S Goyer gives us an interlinked childhood life of Superman in his screenplay. He simultaneously shows us superman's childhood problems while still holding on to Superman's present stature. Screenplay wise, a great job by Goyer. Even the scene where a lorry driver pissing superman off in a bar he is working in shows us how bad humans can get as compared to superman. This makes us think are we worth it. Kudos to Christopher Nolan for this story. Then comes one of the most emotional scenes in the film where young superman asks his dad whether he can still pretend to be his son. And Costner says that 'you are my son', hugging him. Nolans scripts are always emotionally good with various shades of love and relationshps. The dad-son relationship between them was penned with perfection and the main reason for this is when Nolan writes off Costner. Costner dies in a tornado, beleiving that the world was not ready for superman to reveal himself. Cavil's acting in this particular scene deserves mention. This guy has talent.

Fast forward and we see an action set piece in the middle of the road. Snyder has used fast action visuals to showcase superman's powers differently as the action is now much faster and quicker. Planes get blowed up,choppers get blatsed, glass shatters in every frame and explosions are vast in this sequence. The visual effects are top notch here as well.

Now, moving on to the climax of the film which occupies nearly the last half an hour of the film. Superman has to stop a machine that's turning earth into krypton by general zod. He has to create a black hole so that zod and his team will get sucked in. Here is where Han's background score scores highly. His heavy drums together with the theme of the film gels well. I particularly loved the scene where superman rushes to save lois from free falling while zod's team get sucked into the black hole behind him. His acting in this sequence is very good.

Even after all of theses ends, Nolan's touch of sentiment comes into play in the last 5 mins of the film. After crashing into a church after crazy fist fighting with superman, zod tries to kill a family with his laser eyes. Here, Zimmer's background score of just the piano works wonders as superman asks him to stop, only for Zod to say never. Cavil has huge talent and he cries in this scene so well that a tear drop fell from my eye in the theatre. Very rarely does someone cry in a superhero film, but Nolan shows us his quality of writing.

So, in the end, this is definitely a 5-star rating from me. A must watch for me and you wont be disappointed.
  50. Nov 10, 2013
    The Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) andThe Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) and necessary to give a sense of what a Kryptonian invasion could look like, if these characters were real.

The story itself is unoriginal as origin stories go, but Superman has always been unoriginal since his conception. If you can stomach violent scenes, this movie is A Must See!
  51. Dec 14, 2013
    A subpar reboot of an amazing film franchise. The effects and acting are quite good however the story is too complex and Superman is not a sympathetic character.
  52. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always hated Superman, and didn't want to watch this. Don't listen to the haters on this one. It's fantastic. Easily in the top 3 comic book movies. The makers took all the lame, corny stuff out of Superman, and made him believable, humanly emotional, and gave him moral decisions to make. People need to realize that sometime in war people die, and the bad guy needs to be stopped no matter what. Expand
  53. Dec 2, 2013
    Let me first say this, if there's an action hero that I always disliked it was Superman. Superman stories were always a giant mess of gigantic nonsense and plot holes bigger than Yellowstone National Park.

This movie manages to bring a superman that fits and while the movie isn't perfect at all, its a very good movie, I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters 6 They tried to get

Characters 6
    They tried to get out of the 60's, 70's cliches, but its hard, the workarounds to get the characters into a more XXI's century culture didn't work in my opinion.

Plot 6
    Maybe too much in one movie, maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt too much, still the plot is nice, doesn't have big holes in it, which for a superman movie is big achievement, things happens always at the right time for everyone that matters to be saved which in my opinion is what makes the plot a little weak, considering that the movie seems to attempt to bring "realism" into the story, it fails miserably, if you want to redefine superman into the new age, then don't be afraid of doing only half.
    SPOILER(stop this nonsense that only the grunts, the bad guys and some random civilians no one cares about will die.)

Action 9
    Almost flawless, it achieves exactly what I think they wanted, the action sequences are brutal and well made, something that you can watch many times and not get tired of seeing them.

Drama 8
    You know, its all about the search for humanity and so on, I think it has a little too much unnecessary drama, but its well made, you watch it without rolling your eyes, so its nice.

Acting 7
    I'm not a good judge of this, but it didn't felt very good.

Special Effects 10
    Simply put, extremely detailed perfection.

Cinematography 8
    Its nice, its one of those movies where you don't really notice it, meaning it suits the movie well, but also means it wasn't extraordinary.

Soundtrack and Sound Effects 7
    Just like Cinematography, nothing stands out, but there's some sound effects that stand out for the negative, its like they just placed them there because they sound very "cool", that is bad but not that bad since they were indeed, cool.

This isn't a movie that I will watch again, probably ever, but, the action sequences where special effects excel, those I can watch over and over again, a good movie to see if you are in the mood for it, if you are not, then you won't like it very much.
  54. Nov 29, 2013
    Film so epic, awesome and spectacular, very good history, action script, all in general. It's a movie hated by many fans of films like Avengers or Iron Man 3 is envy because they have to Avengers has not even those battles.
  55. Dec 4, 2013
    That this is a great movie, it's epic, it's huge, a great story, great script. I found it very dynamic, flawless and is very good overall. I do not understand people who criticized simply are Marvelistas resentful.
  56. Dec 4, 2013
    I love this adaptation, is spectacular, the origin of clark seemed great, it's a good start. It has stunning fights, stunning battles. It is an epic masterpiece.
  57. Dec 8, 2013
    Excellent movie, well done, Zack Snyder does a great job. Hand Nolan and Goyer of emotional moments that was noticeable, and I hope the sequel with a lot of spirit.
  58. Dec 8, 2013
    Epic in scale but tight in focus, this is city-breaking action with a close eye on character and a great set-up for an exciting new franchise. Full review later.
  59. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A compelling gritty story and a different take on The Man Of Steel we've not seen on film before but closer to the comic book incarnation. You have to accept change and a different Superman to what you've seen in previous movies to like Man Of Steel a lot of critics have disliked this but gave Superman Return's a good review why i don't know because Man Of Steel cast wise, story and character interpretation and the new take of this character is so much more compelling, touching and action orientated. It's the Superman story and the musical score is brilliant not one minute of the movie do you think of the original score. I was amazed, you can't please all of the people. you get three set's of fan's the hardcore DC fan's who will understand this take and like and love the movie. The cinema goers who love Superhero movie's and will like this because they want to be entertained and come out and be wowed then the fan's who are picky, go to a cinema to be negative, go to a cinema to come out and say that was horrible i liked Superman return's even though a week they hated Superman Return's. Who ever hasn't seen Man Of Steel then ask the first & second category of movie goers. Expand
  60. Dec 9, 2013
    This is the quintessential Superman Movie to date. It pays its respects to the source material and delivers a superman that people have been waiting to see. Snyder delivers on the action and Cavill's both physical appearance and personality is the Superman I grew up with since watching the animated series through to justice league and any recent adaptations. There is no Kryptonite andThis is the quintessential Superman Movie to date. It pays its respects to the source material and delivers a superman that people have been waiting to see. Snyder delivers on the action and Cavill's both physical appearance and personality is the Superman I grew up with since watching the animated series through to justice league and any recent adaptations. There is no Kryptonite and Superman punches people. Thank you Mr Snyder. Cant wait for Superman Vs Batman Expand
  61. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel wow now there is a mouthful well when went to se man of steel I had many doubts about whether it would be better than bryan singer's superman and I was surprised that also there is no doubts it that zack synder's man of steel is the best superman movie of all timefor those of you who haven't seen man of steel words cannot describe it Expand
  62. Dec 15, 2013
    Man of Steel hooked me from start to finish. The movie is longer than most, but I think the time it takes to lay out the story is time well spent. It ended up being a more satisfying experience than watching the usual action movie. I'll be watching it a second time.
  63. Feb 5, 2014
    I do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he isI do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he is not from this planet , and that's his fault so many people died .
    Now opinion about the movie.

The film begins with a scene of birth of Superman ( Henry Cavill ) . General Zod ( Michael Shannon ) conceives revolution in krypton . Father of Superman 's ( Russell Crowe ) against Zod and kidnaps its confluence with the code body of Kal-El. He gives Kal-El write your opinion . Zod and his revolutionaries sent into space. Krypton explodes , and we came to earth .

Clark Kent seems to us exile rolling from one place to another. He lives with his adoptive mother, Martha Kent ( Diane Lane ) on the farm. Through a series of memories, we know from childhood moments Clark. As he realized who he really is , how he learned to cope with their own . Suddenly the earth invades General Zod to turn the land into a new Krypton . Superman must stop him .

Man of Steel appears to us a new reading of the classics, but it gives preference to the old films . Man of Steel is made beautifully and gloomy. In supervising Christopher Nolan film appears to us more realistic as Nolan Batman . The cast is simply gorgeous. Henry Cavill coped well with the role of Superman. It is perfectly suited to Superman physically . Amy Adams played well Lois Lane . But unfortunately it is not very good looks with Cavill . Michael Shannon has turned out one of the
    best villains comic book movies . Superman 's father and stepfather turned out excellent. The film's soundtrack is very stressful and exciting .

verdict

Man of Steel is an excellent and intense film with a great cast and a gorgeous soundtrack. Man of Steel Superman best film since the days of Richard Donner film and best film in the comic books in 2013 .
    Rating 4/5
  64. Jan 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, Man of Steel has severe structural problems amidst it's wonderful coming of age and child story of Clark, and rockets with nearly half a film of yawning action lacking emotion and motivation to care. It's an inspiring vision breaded for 14 & under, but the editing and execution in post-production squanders the potential for a smoothly paced, build-up to heroism and theUnfortunately, Man of Steel has severe structural problems amidst it's wonderful coming of age and child story of Clark, and rockets with nearly half a film of yawning action lacking emotion and motivation to care. It's an inspiring vision breaded for 14 & under, but the editing and execution in post-production squanders the potential for a smoothly paced, build-up to heroism and the mystery within. Altogether, it's no Kinder Surprise. Expand
  65. Feb 1, 2014
    Es monumental, es ÉPICA, es colosal, tiene momentos emocionantes, que se me ponía la piel de gallina, por fin vemos a Superman haciendo cosas de Superman después de lo basura que fue Superman Returns, espero mas en la secuela.
  66. Mar 18, 2014
    well,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes savingwell,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes saving people. nonetheless this movie is not bad Expand
  67. Mar 26, 2014
    This is my favorite movie of all time, I didn't see any flaws on it, or unless I didn't see any reason to hate it like some people that found this movie awful saying it doesn't have nothing to do with the comic but still enjoy movies like the dark knight rises...
    Don't believe on anything they say, this movie is amazing and even those who said it sucks, are waiting for the sequel...
  68. Nov 9, 2014
    Man of Steel may be a preposterous epic with over the top action sequences and a plethora of underused, one sided characters but it is an epic nonetheless.
  69. Aug 4, 2014
    This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
  70. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, andThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
  71. Sep 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I realize this movie came out over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I walked out from watching Man of Steel at the theatre simply feeling down. It was waay too much destruction and towards the end of the movie where like half the city is destroyed and you can visibly see thousands upon thousands of innocent humans plus thousands more off-screen inside of the buildings get killed in some way or another. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing put together movie with awesome effects and all but all I'm saying is there is A LOT more destruction and death of innocents than is needed. I couldn't really be proud and happy for superman even after he won and saved Earth because the fact that all those people, no doubt including children who's lives were more cut short(not shown being killed on-screen but saying hundreds or even thousands die off screen is perfectly fine for some reason...). Superman saves people right? Well that did happen in this movie but on a small scale so to be honest, I simply could not appreciate this movie or even Superman. But then again this could just be me and my really sensitive heart... But I'm sure some people will agree though. Expand
  72. Oct 27, 2014
    this film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Darkthis film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Dark Knight Trilogy were Expand
  73. Dec 18, 2014
    This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine.
  74. Dec 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give the first 30 minutes of the movie a 10/10 and the proceeding hour and a half a 0/10.

It honestly felt like the first half hour couldn't have been done any better and the latter part of the movie could not have been done worst. Every event surrounding his father and protecting his identity was wrought with logic that doesn't stand up to outside scrutiny. A reporter who had no prior contact with him tracked him down effortlessly and there's at least a few dozen people that have seen him in action and seen his face and yet when it comes time to save his father it becomes a necessity to protect his identity and let the father die. That entire scene was a mess though as the family as it makes no sense whatsoever. They open their car doors, start talking about how a tornado is about to reach them, and they feel the need to close the car doors after the realization and locking their dog inside which they somehow forgot about. "A tornadoes coming?! I should first shut all the car doors and THEN run for shelter!"

The movie also killed the magic of superman as an extremely competent superhero with a few scripting blunders. First of all, only superman seemed to be having difficulty with General Zod's men. In that spaceship Lois managed to kill like 4 or 5 of the enemy alone using one of their own guns which undermines Supermans struggle with them as he kept getting knocked around in fist fights. I'm also used to Superman media having him save the day before anything tragic has a chance to happen but in this movie a whole city gets totaled with an expected casualty count in the millions and we're supposed to think it was a happy ending just because an army girl calls superman "hot"? We're all used to Superman films, cartoons, and comics having lots of collateral damage to buildings and the city but there was never the implication people died in the process and yet this movie ends with the explicit message that many innocent people of that city were caught and killed in the turmoil. Superman just felt like a sham of a hero with how incompetent he was at handling the situation and his failure to protect the people.
  75. BKM
    Dec 17, 2013
    The final hour or so of Zack Snyder's Superman reboot nearly results in sensory overload with its relentless action sequences and eye popping special effects. But before it reaches that point, a solid foundation has been built for future installments of the franchise which will hopefully focus more on The Man of Steel's internal conflict and serve up more worthy villains. Bring on Lex Luthor!
  76. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from theThis movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from the night she meets him, and she knows him as Clark soon after. Also, the two of them had little dialogue during the movie, so it was weird when they got together at the end. I kept thinking "but you don't even really know her..." and we really didn't as the audience either. We got the Kal-El/Clark Kent backstory, but other than that, there was little character development. They didn't feel like real people we cared about. This movie focused a lot on action and didn't have time for dialogue or characters...and some people like the action scenes, but I personally am not into that. I care more about the characters and that they have believability as real people. One of the critiques I hear a lot from people comparing super heroes is that they don't like superman because he's too perfect and inhuman. This movie has more of a gritty, dark Clark Kent, so I guess he's more human in a way, but he seemed like a cold, brooding jerk, and not like someone I wanted to know. I would prefer to see the Superman franchise go for more of a likable, relatable Clark Kent. Expand
  77. Sep 25, 2013
    When it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superheroWhen it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superhero of all time. However, as with other Superman-based movies, it's easy to see how this promising new-beginning could all come crashing down. Mr. Zack Snyder: tread carefully. Expand
  78. May 8, 2014
    Oh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "ManOh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "Man of Steel". I wouldn't mind of that flaws if the characters wouldn't have been one dimensional cardboard cutouts of a bare minimum of what a character is. Besides that, the dialogue is about 80 percent of exposition. Secondary characters were wasted, Superman was just emotionless. But it isn't all bad. I enjoyed the visuals, the way Krypton was presented. The fights were... Good.. Just good, because at the end it becomes repetitive.
    Overall "Man of Steel" was a disappointing action flick without humanity.
  79. Jul 26, 2013
    A horrible disappointment. Well-crafted enough to keep attention on the big screen, but I don't think this will translate well to TVs and other screens as time goes on. The back-story was very well done and touching in parts, but the lack of a real-time plot (they find him, a fight ensues, earth is saved) prevents it from paying off. This would have worked better as two separate moviesA horrible disappointment. Well-crafted enough to keep attention on the big screen, but I don't think this will translate well to TVs and other screens as time goes on. The back-story was very well done and touching in parts, but the lack of a real-time plot (they find him, a fight ensues, earth is saved) prevents it from paying off. This would have worked better as two separate movies one about the destruction of Krypton and the hunt for a new planet (including the show-down with Kal-El), and another with Superman discovering his place on earth. But the combined story doesn't work very well.

The fight scene is ludicrous and boring.
  80. Aug 18, 2013
    I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that.I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that. However what I don't like about these average action movies is that they are bad. They have a weak plot, weak character development and are so full of nonsense. Those movies are just money machines. They have good SFX which can be showcased in the trailer to attract the audience but always fail to deliver. No wonder nearly half of the budget goes into marketing. Producers don't want to invest in an original or creative approach, that's too risky and why should they? People still paid to go, so did I. When you look at these years' big budget movies you'll see that they are either sequels, prequels, spin-offs, adaptations, remakes....etc. No original story. Man of Steel fits perfectly this section. Why bother making a good movie if it will sell anyway? This seems to be Hollywood's guideline nowadays. In conclusion, nearly no character development, boring dialogues, weak reused plot with many inconsistencies and holes, good to average imagery and average action. 4 out of 10. Expand
  81. Dec 20, 2013
    Man of Steel is a nice little round of CGI fisticuffs. Explosions go bang, buildings go crash and super-people get smashed through all manner of concrete items. But where's the fun? And more importantly, where's the heart? Whilst not a terrible film, Man of Steel could have (and should have) been a lot better.
  82. Sep 14, 2013
    Superman for the new age, how does it rate? Honestly, quite good- but I feel that this movie shot itself in the foot.
    The story is pretty much a reboot of Superman, how Krypton blew up, a baby was put on a rocket and fired away. Nothing new really, but I liked how it replayed "Supermans" life through arty flashbacks. Nice.
    Great cast, no complaints, all good. Russell Crowe and Kevin
    Great cast, no complaints, all good. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner (both who played Robin Hood!) also added to well played roles.
    My main complaints are them stretched out blurry action sequences that have no real reason for being there. It reminded me of the sequels to the 00's Spiderman movies where nothing much really happens. I watch movies to see good acting, not sub-par blurred CG with lots of explosions and smashing windows... These sections droll on so it gets monotonous rather than stays "fun".

All in all, its a "good" movie, but it could have been made GREAT!
    A lot of movies seem to fall into the same trap, more quality control is definitely needed to cut down on these 2 hours 30 minute bore fests. Cut off 30 minutes, make a "directors cut" and leave it, PLEASE!
  83. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Superman fan, this was the reboot I've been waiting for. This movie helped erase all memories of the lackluster Superman Returns and paved the way for a take on the 75 year old character that feels both fresh and energized.

The Good: First and foremost, this is a Sci-Fi story at its core and I loved that most about this movie. It was great to see a look of Krypton that did away with the crystalline structure of the Donner films. This movie feels much closer to some of the more recent comics including elements of John Bryne's Man of Steel and Superman Birthright (where we see Clark traveling around the world and taking up various odd jobs). I really enjoyed the non-linear style of story-telling, it was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. Jumping between an older and younger Clark Kent helped us get to know him, without spending too much time treading on old ground.

Performances: Henry Cavill does an excellent job portraying the Man of Steel. We see a Superman that's lonely, conflicted and struggling to find his place in the world. One of the character traits I, personally have found very relatable. Amy Adams, what can I say, shes awesome. A much better actress and way more attractive than Margot Kidder or to a lesser-extent Kate Bosworth. Michael Shannon nearly stole the show as General Zod, compared to the campy (but still great) performance of Terrance Stamp, we get a Zod that is both ruthless and menacing. Finally, Russell Crowe as Jor-El. One of my favorite characters from the Superman mythos and Crowe absolutely blew me away. He provides the explanations for why Krypton becomes ultimately doomed, why he sends his only son to earth and why Kal-El must use his gifts to help others. Another one of my favorite aspects of the movie was that we got plenty of screen-time with him (both on and off Krypton). I was entertained ;)

Special Effects: The CGI was some of the best I've seen yet! The scenes with Henry flying around are absolutely spectacular and almost realistic looking. Compare that to the final scene in SR where Brandon Routh looks like a poorly modeled PS3 character.

The Not-So-Good: Feels a little rushed in a few areas,Maybe a little too much action for the first movie and not enough time spent developing some of the characters. I'm sure we'll get some more of those in the sequel, but the main focus of this movie is Superman.

Overall: 9.5/10
  84. Dec 22, 2013
    A typical American movie. Crazy budget, great visuals, lots of explosions but no real substance. The direction is fantastic and the explosions look great in high definition. The underlying premise isn't too shabby but lacks major development. Most of the time anything exciting which happens does so for the sake of it. There seems to be no connection between any of the characters, theA typical American movie. Crazy budget, great visuals, lots of explosions but no real substance. The direction is fantastic and the explosions look great in high definition. The underlying premise isn't too shabby but lacks major development. Most of the time anything exciting which happens does so for the sake of it. There seems to be no connection between any of the characters, the action is far too OTT and there are a number of unexplained events. All that aside, Man of Steel certainly doesn't lack funding. It does however, lack a compelling story and is far too unrealistic to take seriously. Even though it's not bad, you quickly become bored with it all. Expand
  85. Mar 19, 2014
    I would have walked out on this dog after 15 minutes if I hadn't invested a kingly sum in tickets, popcorn, candy and pop. I hated everything about this film. 1. Crappy handheld jerky camera work throughout the whole film. 2. Natural color washed out with a blue tone. 3. Ridiculous, never-ending jumbled flashbacks. And believe it or not, this poor excuse for a director was hired to doI would have walked out on this dog after 15 minutes if I hadn't invested a kingly sum in tickets, popcorn, candy and pop. I hated everything about this film. 1. Crappy handheld jerky camera work throughout the whole film. 2. Natural color washed out with a blue tone. 3. Ridiculous, never-ending jumbled flashbacks. And believe it or not, this poor excuse for a director was hired to do a sequel. No thanks- I'll be popping corn at home watching a Marvel movie instead. Expand
  86. Apr 20, 2014
    It's not really fantastic, it's not really bad. If you love the explosions and lights and things flying around, this is a good way to spend 2 hours. The plot is basic, the characters are all kinda flat and one dimensional, but it was fun seeing a lot of smaller actors as side roles.
  87. Dec 17, 2013
    "Man of Steel" has some terrific and intense 3-D action but needs more humor and emotion. There are some excellent and beautiful visual effects, but the fact that Henry Cavill who plays Superman, is not very emotional, disappointed me.
  88. Aug 2, 2013
    Critics are right on this one. Uninspiring action movie of Snyder that doesn't deserve Nolan's name on it. Hans Zimmer made a great score which made me give it a 6 instead of a 5. The masses wil love a dumbed down Superman like this, it's a guaranteed summer cash cow.
  89. Dec 16, 2013
    No redeeming value. Big budget, dumb plot, just action sequence after action sequence. When two invincible people fight, how do you decide what a "deadly" move is? I just don't get it.
  90. Feb 25, 2014
    Easily best Superman-movie ever made! Script, acting, soundtrack, Superman's costume.. everything is just one big "WOW!"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie!
  91. Dec 20, 2013
    Holy crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat and soulless. His actors are always chewing scenery and completely over the top. The action is ridiculous and akin to watching someone play their XBox forHoly crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat and soulless. His actors are always chewing scenery and completely over the top. The action is ridiculous and akin to watching someone play their XBox for 2 hours. Thank god there was about 11 minutes of credits. I kept checking to see how much longer the pain would last. This is one giant stinking excrement of a movie and Warner Brothers is letting him make another one? I'm going to go watch Richard Donner's 1978 classic. You know, the one with heart, passion, great characters that you actually care about and a story that leaves you with a smile, not headed to the toilet. How far we have slipped as an audience to accept this crap. Expand
  92. Aug 23, 2013
    This movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the lastThis movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the last third or more of the movie is almost entirely Superman fighting the bad guys, which is fun to watch, but lacks substance--and even gets a bit boring. Finally, the movie hurts itself some by leaving some plot holes/character inconsistencies open. I don't want to give away anything, but it takes you out of the movie a bit when you see Superman being overly concerned with protecting life one moment, but then casually endangering it the next. All in all, still a good movie, but it really relies on the strength of its action scenes, not the introspective stuff it tries to pull off. Expand
  93. Jan 6, 2014
    Better then Superman returns, great plot, average acting, was a lot less cheesy then i expected. While the plot is great it is rather rushed and im not entirely sure how long Lois was searching for Clark making it kinda awkward in my opinion when they kiss near the end of the film
    Overall the film does a great job bring superman to a modern era where superhero movies are a lot more gritty and dark slightly believable.

Man Of Steel is 8/10
  94. Oct 21, 2013
    In one super man movie he turns back time, sadly for the franchise this cant be done. It has been cursed to walk the earth as a dry cliche american pie Jesus swagger piece of junk. Avoids it or better yet just skip around and save your self 2 hours.
  95. Dec 8, 2013
    Very overrated movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as Superman, but the character Zod lacks the depth that he had in smallville and is overall very bland. The thing that surprised me most was the extreme death count of innocent bystanders, it was ridiculous and not in keeping with Superman's history at all. Superman is supposed to do everything he can to keep the innocent people safe (toVery overrated movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as Superman, but the character Zod lacks the depth that he had in smallville and is overall very bland. The thing that surprised me most was the extreme death count of innocent bystanders, it was ridiculous and not in keeping with Superman's history at all. Superman is supposed to do everything he can to keep the innocent people safe (to the point of risking his own life), but in this movie he did not seem to care at all. Overall the plot is hardly immersing and the actress that played Lois was a horrible choice. It's an "ok" movie like most Superman movies, but not great. Expand
  96. Dec 21, 2014
    The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax.
  97. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Super man I have watched! It took me a long time before watching this, cause I dislike most superman movies with the same tired story. I finally watched it, and was surprised how good it was. Expand
  98. Feb 7, 2015
    From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen.
  99. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it isAfter watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it is in a league of its own). In this regard at least, Man of Steel has been original in that not only a lot of deaths were hinted at, some of them were shown right on screen without any qualms. Call that creative if you will, or whatever, for better or for worse the invincible man himself could not keep every single human being on the planet safe from death.

Henry Cavill is cast as Superman. He is charismatic, charming and good-looking, and perhaps the best cast for the role. Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, the much older love interest. Diane Lane is cast as Kent's mother on Earth. Russell Crowe portrays Superman's biological father, and is seen throughout the movie at key moments. Michael Shannon is General Zod, the villain who equals Superman in strength and skill, essentially rendering the former's physical superiority redundant, for he has followers too which brings the odds of numbers into play the same way any human encounters and confrontations would have.

Nolan's involvement is palpable. A sense of realism was attempted to be incorporated. For example, the name Superman is not uttered until three quarters into the second hour. The buildings collapse as the larger than life opponents battle it out. Cars are crushed and fires break out. It's safe to say that people die in great numbers.

The first hour is mainly about Superman's origins. We get to see Krypton, the alien home-world, for the first time. Unlike the other instalments in the franchise, Kent is nearing middle age before he decides (or is forced by circumstances) to take an active part in saving people openly. Before that, he roams around incognito and changes jobs and identities if he is forced by his good nature to save someone's skin. Some of his childhood on Earth is also explored.

It is around the one and a half hour mark when the larger chunk of the budget for the movie begins to show, and it depletes quickly as the action sequences follow one another in succession until the very end.

The film was an interesting take on the superhero concept. A degree of realism was certainly there. The lead was a good choice. And the whole idea of beings of superhuman strength getting it on with each other in the middle of civilization and spreading carnage indiscriminately was something that would have been virtually impossible to depict on screen before the advent of visual effects. But still something was missing. An ingredient which would have perhaps brought it to a final, perfect conclusion. I can't fault it for it for I could not say what they could have done differently. But I had a good time, if not stellar, so I will rate it accordingly.
  100. Oct 27, 2013
    I'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention asI'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention as the screen time allowed.

However I do have a few gripes:
    1) First time I have ever complain that there is too much action. The movie is an exciting roller coaster, and like a roller coaster rider to much for too long can leave you a little nauseated. A few pauses, perhaps with some rich narrative, between battle would have been nice.
    2) While I get this is a reimagining, I'm a little bummed about there being no Kryptonite, at least not in the traditional sense. But at the very least it wasn't ruled out, so it is still possible to it in future movies.
    3) While Zod gives a great performance, Faora seriously steals the show every scene she's in. She is more what I expect Zod to be. Zod's OK but I found him to sympathetic.

Overall:
    Grievances aside, I had a blast watching this movie. While it my have been the action movie equivalent of a sugar rush, it was a great rush and I look forward to future installments.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.