Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 3304 Ratings
2,369
WATCH NOW
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
Dark,Gritty and fun,Superman returns in a brand new Movie reboot "Man Of Steel".Man of steel is a good film with great action and stunning visual effects.The Movie has flaws and some plot holes but the movie is still good in general.
FeralsteveJan 7, 2015
Not only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over hisNot only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over his head here and knows only how to direct special effects. A truly terrible movie. Expand
benbuttbusterJan 22, 2016
This is actually the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. All of the characters are unlikable heaps of garbage, the action scenes are seizure inducing **** and the plot is constant nonsensical **** 0/10, not a great one.
lynannouilhMar 14, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the movie. It was time someone updated the myth of Superman, the hero was created in the 30 's.... A time when women didn't have the right to vote, and everything was black or white (commie or not). Seeing Lois Lane inquire about Supes and discovering who we really is from the beginning is a good thing to me. The gritty look is good too. Expand
SchroederRockSep 25, 2013
When it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, ManWhen it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superhero of all time. However, as with other Superman-based movies, it's easy to see how this promising new-beginning could all come crashing down. Mr. Zack Snyder: tread carefully. Expand
cfergojrSep 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Superman fan, this was the reboot I've been waiting for. This movie helped erase all memories of the lackluster Superman Returns and paved the way for a take on the 75 year old character that feels both fresh and energized.

The Good: First and foremost, this is a Sci-Fi story at its core and I loved that most about this movie. It was great to see a look of Krypton that did away with the crystalline structure of the Donner films. This movie feels much closer to some of the more recent comics including elements of John Bryne's Man of Steel and Superman Birthright (where we see Clark traveling around the world and taking up various odd jobs). I really enjoyed the non-linear style of story-telling, it was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. Jumping between an older and younger Clark Kent helped us get to know him, without spending too much time treading on old ground.

Performances: Henry Cavill does an excellent job portraying the Man of Steel. We see a Superman that's lonely, conflicted and struggling to find his place in the world. One of the character traits I, personally have found very relatable. Amy Adams, what can I say, shes awesome. A much better actress and way more attractive than Margot Kidder or to a lesser-extent Kate Bosworth. Michael Shannon nearly stole the show as General Zod, compared to the campy (but still great) performance of Terrance Stamp, we get a Zod that is both ruthless and menacing. Finally, Russell Crowe as Jor-El. One of my favorite characters from the Superman mythos and Crowe absolutely blew me away. He provides the explanations for why Krypton becomes ultimately doomed, why he sends his only son to earth and why Kal-El must use his gifts to help others. Another one of my favorite aspects of the movie was that we got plenty of screen-time with him (both on and off Krypton). I was entertained ;)

Special Effects: The CGI was some of the best I've seen yet! The scenes with Henry flying around are absolutely spectacular and almost realistic looking. Compare that to the final scene in SR where Brandon Routh looks like a poorly modeled PS3 character.

The Not-So-Good: Feels a little rushed in a few areas,Maybe a little too much action for the first movie and not enough time spent developing some of the characters. I'm sure we'll get some more of those in the sequel, but the main focus of this movie is Superman.

Overall: 9.5/10
SirSX3Jul 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A refreshing new take on the Man of Steel.

What I liked about this interpretation of Superman is their original take on Krypton and their Kryptonian technology and history. I like the idea of the genetically engineered Kryptonian society. The eugenics explains why Zod and his army are so "evil" and how they are able to adapt to the new environment so easily. Zod and Faora simply kicks ass, and the action sequences are amazing. (Although I think it's a bit too much)

This is not exactly a traditional Superman story that we are all used to, so a lot of people might not enjoy it as a 'Superman' movie.
The problem with Superman is that he is so powerful that he becomes unrelatable. What this film did was, they focus on the fact that Kal-El is an alien trying to fit in. By doing so, they made him seem human. He's not an outsider like Zod and his army; he's a guy who grew up in Kansas, who just happens to have these abilities, and has to deal with it.

They also got rid of a lot of the Superman mythos that can be quite ridiculous and unrealistic.
(such as Kryptonite, the red underwear, etc.)
What I really enjoy about this movie is how they explain everything in a scientific manner. (Kal-El's abilities, Zod adaptability to his new abilities, Zod's motivations, etc.) This really grounds the story (as science-fiction instead of fantasy), and it allows me to accept the story easier. Also, they made the Kryptonians seem like a real civilisation with their own history, culture, and technology. I like how much attention they have on developing their culture. (such as the chest symbols of the different houses)
The way they approach the story just makes them seem realistic and believable.

What I didn't like about the movie is the pacing; it's just too fast. There's too much action/information, and not enough character development. Some of the fight scene just seem unnecessary and feels like information/sensory overload.
I felt that the relationship between Lois and Clark is going too fast, and they didn't have much chemistry together. They shared a kiss that seemed unnecessary/premature. The relationship is just not well developed. I mean, sure, they had many scenes together, and they seem to get along well; however, they didn't seem like lovers, just good friends.

There's also some ridiculous dialogues (i.e. "evolution always wins") and some religious undertones/allusions to Superman being Christ. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but they shouldn't do it too much.

I liked the new theme, it's not like John William's iconic march, but it's still a good theme for Superman.

In conclusion, it has it's strengths and it's flaws; there's room for improvement and can be quite disappointing (might not reach expectations), but it's still pretty good.
Keep in mind that this is just the first movie in a new universe of movies; there is just too many things to set up.

I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series. (Even more so now that it's announced that it's going to be Batman vs. Superman)
BasilZeroMay 2, 2015
Not the best Superman movie however the animation, story and progression are spot on. This is pretty much a reboot of the old famous super man movie from the 1990s. The casting roles in the characters were surprising and great choices. TheNot the best Superman movie however the animation, story and progression are spot on. This is pretty much a reboot of the old famous super man movie from the 1990s. The casting roles in the characters were surprising and great choices. The movie is not as polished as the Dark Knight Trilogy but better than the last Super man movie that came before it. Expand
csw12Oct 18, 2013
Man of Steel is probably Christopher Nolan's weakest film he has been apart of, but that takes nothing away from the shear beauty of the film. Even with moments that drag, Man of Steel soars on all other levels.
OfficialDec 17, 2013
"Man of Steel" has some terrific and intense 3-D action but needs more humor and emotion. There are some excellent and beautiful visual effects, but the fact that Henry Cavill who plays Superman, is not very emotional, disappointed me.
ZahhausFeb 25, 2014
Easily best Superman-movie ever made! Script, acting, soundtrack, Superman's costume.. everything is just one big "WOW!"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie!
kane148Aug 23, 2013
This movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: weThis movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the last third or more of the movie is almost entirely Superman fighting the bad guys, which is fun to watch, but lacks substance--and even gets a bit boring. Finally, the movie hurts itself some by leaving some plot holes/character inconsistencies open. I don't want to give away anything, but it takes you out of the movie a bit when you see Superman being overly concerned with protecting life one moment, but then casually endangering it the next. All in all, still a good movie, but it really relies on the strength of its action scenes, not the introspective stuff it tries to pull off. Expand
ReubenIsAGodJan 6, 2014
Better then Superman returns, great plot, average acting, was a lot less cheesy then i expected. While the plot is great it is rather rushed and im not entirely sure how long Lois was searching for Clark making it kinda awkward in my opinionBetter then Superman returns, great plot, average acting, was a lot less cheesy then i expected. While the plot is great it is rather rushed and im not entirely sure how long Lois was searching for Clark making it kinda awkward in my opinion when they kiss near the end of the film
Overall the film does a great job bring superman to a modern era where superhero movies are a lot more gritty and dark slightly believable.

Man Of Steel is 8/10
star_gazingNov 12, 2013
As much as I wanted to like this movie, it was terrible. Not a funny terrible, but a forgettable atrocious experience. Acting's off in many scenes, green screen is large and destroys the epic flight scenes, everything about this movie thatAs much as I wanted to like this movie, it was terrible. Not a funny terrible, but a forgettable atrocious experience. Acting's off in many scenes, green screen is large and destroys the epic flight scenes, everything about this movie that could've been good is squandered by this need to go beyond what was necessary. The saving grace is it's potential, but it ultimately falls flat. I go with the critics on this one; it wasn't great by any means. Expand
gzayas91Dec 21, 2014
The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. TheThe real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax. Expand
oblique15May 10, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Super man I have watched! It took me a long time before watching this, cause I dislike most superman movies with the same tired story. I finally watched it, and was surprised how good it was. Expand
SwatiMar 5, 2014
After watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, letAfter watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it is in a league of its own). In this regard at least, Man of Steel has been original in that not only a lot of deaths were hinted at, some of them were shown right on screen without any qualms. Call that creative if you will, or whatever, for better or for worse the invincible man himself could not keep every single human being on the planet safe from death.

Henry Cavill is cast as Superman. He is charismatic, charming and good-looking, and perhaps the best cast for the role. Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, the much older love interest. Diane Lane is cast as Kent's mother on Earth. Russell Crowe portrays Superman's biological father, and is seen throughout the movie at key moments. Michael Shannon is General Zod, the villain who equals Superman in strength and skill, essentially rendering the former's physical superiority redundant, for he has followers too which brings the odds of numbers into play the same way any human encounters and confrontations would have.

Nolan's involvement is palpable. A sense of realism was attempted to be incorporated. For example, the name Superman is not uttered until three quarters into the second hour. The buildings collapse as the larger than life opponents battle it out. Cars are crushed and fires break out. It's safe to say that people die in great numbers.

The first hour is mainly about Superman's origins. We get to see Krypton, the alien home-world, for the first time. Unlike the other instalments in the franchise, Kent is nearing middle age before he decides (or is forced by circumstances) to take an active part in saving people openly. Before that, he roams around incognito and changes jobs and identities if he is forced by his good nature to save someone's skin. Some of his childhood on Earth is also explored.

It is around the one and a half hour mark when the larger chunk of the budget for the movie begins to show, and it depletes quickly as the action sequences follow one another in succession until the very end.

The film was an interesting take on the superhero concept. A degree of realism was certainly there. The lead was a good choice. And the whole idea of beings of superhuman strength getting it on with each other in the middle of civilization and spreading carnage indiscriminately was something that would have been virtually impossible to depict on screen before the advent of visual effects. But still something was missing. An ingredient which would have perhaps brought it to a final, perfect conclusion. I can't fault it for it for I could not say what they could have done differently. But I had a good time, if not stellar, so I will rate it accordingly.
Rox22Oct 27, 2013
I'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. II'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention as the screen time allowed.

However I do have a few gripes:
1) First time I have ever complain that there is too much action. The movie is an exciting roller coaster, and like a roller coaster rider to much for too long can leave you a little nauseated. A few pauses, perhaps with some rich narrative, between battle would have been nice.
2) While I get this is a reimagining, I'm a little bummed about there being no Kryptonite, at least not in the traditional sense. But at the very least it wasn't ruled out, so it is still possible to it in future movies.
3) While Zod gives a great performance, Faora seriously steals the show every scene she's in. She is more what I expect Zod to be. Zod's OK but I found him to sympathetic.

Overall:
Grievances aside, I had a blast watching this movie. While it my have been the action movie equivalent of a sugar rush, it was a great rush and I look forward to future installments.
KeeOneAug 16, 2013
This movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got goodThis movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got good critic reviews although majority of the fans HATED it and then Man of Steel got 55 rating but the user review have over 1,500 positive? Some do complain about the destruction of the battle but obviously something like that would take place if u had 2 overpowered kryptonians in our world....although there was alot of destrution, Superman did save the entire world from the World Engine. Expand
MatthewToddNov 14, 2013
This looks like a (similar) job for Superman! Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Super… Excuse me. For a big budget motion picture remake of perhaps the most recognizable comic book superhero Man of Steel is a tamelyThis looks like a (similar) job for Superman! Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Super… Excuse me. For a big budget motion picture remake of perhaps the most recognizable comic book superhero Man of Steel is a tamely run-of-the-mill effort. It is generic blockbuster personified, and is a bleak, characterless, lacklustre, uninspiring, disjointed and overly rigid entry in an intermittent franchise, which ironically struggles to take off. What's the "S" stand for? Well in my world it stands for Super-Serious as opposed to Superman. Never before has a superhero been so unwilling to express any discernible passion for their cause, simply maintaining an impassive poker face the whole time. The fate of mankind hangs in the balance, Superman to the rescue! Screams excitement right; however, Zack Snyder has somehow turned this tried and tested premise into a dreary, rather monotonous exploit, even if the visuals and set pieces verge on stunning; more dull and lifeless than dark and gritty. Henry Cavill is cool, calm and collected as Superman; however, he comes across overly reserved and emotionless far too often. Cavills' steely resolve is rarely visibly tested even if the goings-on impart otherwise, rendering his portrayal of Superman a tad difficult to adhere to on a humanistic level. In addition to this, he appears sound in the fabled suit but his rendering of the celebrated superhero comes across too deliberate and noticeably premeditated, although he does find his feet towards the end when the movie is given a much-needed shot of adrenaline. Man of Steel lacks fluidity, it is apportioned with often brisk and abrupt scene changes, and provides an unkempt collation and abstract composition of extracts and gestures to scenes from other movies. It is also complacent on character introduction, being naive in thinking we all know about the characters enough to not have to shed too much light on them; notably a lackadaisical introduction to Lois Lane and her backstory, further marred by a romance kindled out of thin air. All in all, Man of Steel supplies a moderately attention-grabbing experience, albeit unhurried and void of any palpable sentiment. In addition, it does not break any new ground and sets an overstatedly grim-faced tone that future installments in the notoriously up-and-down series that has experienced its fair share of highs and lows in the past will have to address if they are to garner the widespread approval of the audience.

Maybe somebody should have gave Superman's cape a tug and told him you're doing it wrong.

For more movie reviews visit: http://toddsmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk
loxDec 10, 2013
Not sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesyNot sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of the time. Not to go overboard, I will simply say that I did not like this movie. I can acknowledge some pros though: the Super suit was cool, Zod's "purpose for which I was born" monologue in the final act was cool, and the sequences in space were breathtaking. Still, Man of Steel had nearly NO CROWD PLEASING MOMENTS....the comic relief moments spread in the movie were a hit-or-miss and would gain maybe one chuckle or a laugh out of the audience. And don't get me started on the action sequences....don't get me wrong, I love a good action movie, when it's well served. I highly enjoyed Fast 6 because it didn't try to be more than what it was, a simple mindless action-packed popcorn flick with well-placed humor and overall solid pacing. However Man of Steels action....boy was I bored by it. Explosions and skyscrapers collapsing left and right and even some annoying shaky cam in certain sequences that voided any chances of my investment. One of my friends mentioned two Easter eggs in the film: A Luthor truck and a satellite in space owned by Wayne Industries...BUT... since I WASN'T invested in the movie thanks to a sloppy and awkwardly paced script, I didn't notice these Easter eggs at all unfortunately. I personally felt also that the opening in Krypton was cool at first, but soon became over-extended. Am I the only one who felt that the special effects in this film weren't that impressive? If I am, so be it. Clark Kent/Kal-El's development was rather modest...it could've been done much better and more depth could've been put into it. Instead, the scenes of his upbringing would come in awkwardly and they felt kind of intrusive at times. This movie felt very inconsistent in terms of writing. Man of Steel's pacing was incredibly sloppy. One scene Kal-El was in a ship, then he was in a bar, then he was in the north pole, then he was suddenly Superman. Yeah, not very consistent pacing if you ask me. Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by this film. I really wanted to love Man of Steel. I wanted an excellent Superman flick with a terrific origins story that resembled the quality of Batman Begins. Man of Steel was hyped up well, but terribly under-delivered. Expand
ExKingNov 29, 2013
man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie, and i felt stupid afterward,
man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie,
and i felt stupid afterward, cause there is so much plots mistakes it's almost unwatchable,
unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause for me everything have to make sense
and this movie unfortunately does not make any, i mean i felt mad after watching iron man 3 because of plot mistakes,
after this i can gladly make iron man 3 my favorite movie of 2013.
SEROJMay 1, 2014
Actually i can't understand critic's bad scores for this movie! I do think it's too fantastic and could've been A LOT better but frankly' i enjoyed it a lot! Highly recommended
jamessNov 13, 2013
Talk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me.Talk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man Of Steel is his best work since 300 (I feel Dawn Of The Dead his best so far), and the set pieces are spectacularly staged, but 2 and a half hours of earnest, EARNEST material about a flying alien Christ figure is a bit much. The only hint of humor is the refusal to even say the name "Superman" (maybe spoken twice during the whole movie). I'm not saying we have to dive into the overdrawn characters of the Donner version, or people speaking in witty banter like The Avengers, but a little humor goes a long way. The acting across the board was fine..hey, I actually didn't hate Crowe, as I have most of his roles lately. And the technical credits were all first class. Expand
iLightningOct 19, 2013
Never being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone,Never being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone, were really strong. However, the whole Superman and Lois Lane thing didn't work very well, and I felt like they were only hooking up because they were supposed to. Also, the action scenes, while impressive, got a bit out of hand towards the end, with the same superhumans braining each other against buildings for about five minutes straight, which surprisingly DOES get tiring after a while. But I felt the ending was very powerful and the whole washed-out atmosphere of the film worked really well. Any action film fan should see this. Expand
GFCAug 10, 2013
A truely amazing film. Finally what the fans have been waiting for a truely amazing Superman movie. I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Just some random text to fill the void.
HyperleonJun 11, 2014
One of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like inOne of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship between Clark and Louis needs work because to be honest you won't care about it. Overall it has good acting, story,plot, and GCI. Its worth the buy. Expand
dougaussieDec 30, 2014
makes all the other supermans look average, plenty of action and destroying stuff. Like the spaceships but found the bit parts for supermans dad and daily planet chief to be boring and out of place.
TounVicAug 10, 2013
My biggest issue with this movie is that the fight scenes went on way too long. Other than that, best Superman movie I’ve seen. It is what a Superman movie should be. Plenty action, great story, introduced Krypton nicely and flashbacks wereMy biggest issue with this movie is that the fight scenes went on way too long. Other than that, best Superman movie I’ve seen. It is what a Superman movie should be. Plenty action, great story, introduced Krypton nicely and flashbacks were really cool. Compared to Superman Returns, Man Of Steel is far superior. It's such a good elseworld movie, this is not the Superman of the comics, people die in this movie. Expand
dyshpoJul 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like when a movies are shouldn't be such blatant PR for Christianity at least not so drench in holy water. Over used main villain but praise to city busting fight scene finally superman has his powers back Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 18, 2013
Despite its slightly unbalanced script, this superhero flick still hits its mark with plenty of grandiose special effects, intense action, and engaging performances, making for a highly entertaining Superman reboot.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders"

Zack Snyder brings us the movie

Zack Snyder brings us the movie that we have been waiting for Man of steel is story about a young boy that discovers he has super power and is not from earth. This is the most fun iv'e had at the movies this year so far sorry Star Trek. Despite what the critics say about this movie I loved it. I just got out of the theater less then 20 minutes ago and let me say this is the best superman yet. I am a fan of Donners Superman movies 1&2 and I felt this just took it to the next level. This is the superman movie we have been waiting for i know everyone has their own opinion but seriously this the best one yet so glad that they nailed this movies because if they didn't i don't know how long it was going to be before they even tried to reboot the franchise.

I was a little worried about the early reviews for this movie. I as sat through the movie I was waiting for the plot to go dull or the acting to become robotic or for the dialogue to die out but that moment never came. The action was never over the top and i didn't think that it was too heavy i'm not sure how the critics thought that this movie was just turned blockbuster blunder. The story was told perfect this is all you can think while watching it is " I have so many questions" and in way or from throughout the movie it get's told buy. The story was fluid and thought that the flash back never felt lost me nor ever did i feel confused as some of the critics have said about it. I also like how they triggered the flash backs they didn't just throw then in there like some movies have done.

Lets get onto the action, oh man was the action so awesome there was so much destruction. Iv'e read the comics and Iv'e seen the animated movies and that is in those but this was just insane. For me this is the best comic book movie action yes the avengers had it's grand scale but this was another level so many great moments buildings falling all over the place, ships being blown out of the sky seeing krypton being blown up. At no point when i was watching it was i like ok let's tone back some of the action and get back into some story but no i that felt like it was too much that's just me though.

I have been waiting for this movie since 08 and having to wait those five years to finally see it im so glad that it's everything I thought it would be. An amazing action film with hart and soul another thing that the critics thought that this movie didn't have. The cast overall did great and I can't complain about anyone. Henry Cavill (Clark Kent / Kal-El) was perfect he killed it as Kal-El he looks the role, he's likable, he is relatable as a person you can still tell he has moral fiber he wants to be good person and he acts like it he is what i wanted superman to be. Amy Adams did a great Lois Lane, Kevin Costner did an amazing Jonathan Kent really glad they did great with character a lot of the heart felt moments were with him. Michael Shannon as General Zod was great though I was hoping for him to steal the show and take control of his role making it seem like he was the only one that could have done Zod. He doesn't do that but that doesn't take away from him big a super kickass villain.

The visuals in this movie were amazing and it only dawned on me who was behind the special effects till the end of the movie of course it's Weta Digital. They have been seriously stepping up with each movie they been a part of the last couple years. Every time i watch a movie with amazing special effects i look to see who did it and most the time it's them. They have done the special effects for every comic book since X-Men: First Class and i don't need to tell you how great that movie looked not to mention they do all the Peter Jackson films so that's petty much tells how great these guys are. I guess i should mention that they also did James Cameron's Avatar.

I know some people don't like Zack Snyder's but i like the guy his movies are great all but one that is. I also know that some people don't like Watchmen but for me that was one of the best comic book movies iv'e watched and now this one is maybe even going to beat watchmen for my most liked film by him. And really I know some people were maybe expecting a little more Christopher Nolan feel to it but no this is a Zack Snyder film for sure. Some of the shots that are in this movies are just really get the close up of the pencils, the close up on the butterfly on the swing those are some great shots especially the butterfly one that one was beautiful. Also another amazing thing about this film was the score it was breathtaking really some of Hans Zimmer's best work at least for me. I actually pre ordered the deluxe edition online i'm so glad I did that also thought it was better then any of the Dark Knight Trilogy scores.

8.0
film_bugAug 13, 2013
A generally excellent film. Superman's new look really works with the modern superhero image. The script was weak at times, with a few cheap, unnecessary cliche lines toward the end of the movie. Go figure. Getting a look back on Superman'sA generally excellent film. Superman's new look really works with the modern superhero image. The script was weak at times, with a few cheap, unnecessary cliche lines toward the end of the movie. Go figure. Getting a look back on Superman's past was a nice touch to the movie. After all, this is a prequel. There was almost never a boring moment. Expand
iamDTSSep 16, 2013
I have a Love/Hate relationship with this film, i really did like it because it has Superman+Action, but i didn't think the destruction was all that necessary. Not to mention it suffers for having really unforgettable characters includingI have a Love/Hate relationship with this film, i really did like it because it has Superman+Action, but i didn't think the destruction was all that necessary. Not to mention it suffers for having really unforgettable characters including Clark Kent himself. Solid film overall worth a watch to judge for yourself. Expand
redparadox85Oct 17, 2013
This is one of the best superhero movies ever made. I loved the direction it took; it was very similar to the dark knight series (sans the extensive visual effects) Also like the dark knight series, it was loaded with great actors and subThis is one of the best superhero movies ever made. I loved the direction it took; it was very similar to the dark knight series (sans the extensive visual effects) Also like the dark knight series, it was loaded with great actors and sub stories. Hands down to a movie. I consider superior to Iron Man 3. Expand
lordcsxOct 20, 2013
This movie is head on mediocre, there is nothing exceptional in it, no matter how the fan boys proclaiming it as the best superman movie ever. There is a big plot hole issue, and also a quite disturbing Stockholm Syndrome like connectionThis movie is head on mediocre, there is nothing exceptional in it, no matter how the fan boys proclaiming it as the best superman movie ever. There is a big plot hole issue, and also a quite disturbing Stockholm Syndrome like connection between Superman and Lois Lane.
Although the CGI is quite spectacular in this piece, it can't bare the weight of the entire production on its shoulders.
joao1198pedroOct 27, 2013
for me this was the most awaited film this year, my expectation about this movie was on top, but this movie was another big disappointment for me as it was iron man 3.
TheHOct 20, 2013
Destroyed New York, ruined millions, (so much damage even mankind itself could not have caused, even starting a world war.) So how many exist olzhen world (I admit that Superman is immortal, will work tirelessly) to wreak damage, do not sayDestroyed New York, ruined millions, (so much damage even mankind itself could not have caused, even starting a world war.) So how many exist olzhen world (I admit that Superman is immortal, will work tirelessly) to wreak damage, do not say more about the benefits of mankind. The film is not bad, but the story would be better. Expand
Indy_BonesOct 25, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredibly average reboot that relies on excessive CGI (a' la Transformers) to try to make an impact, but misses the mark script wise in so many ways.

Zod is badly cast and nowhere near villainous enough to be a compelling main enemy, Kent's parents are shocking role models, and Lois Lane was wetter than a mermaid's brassiere...

Also, I still don't quite get why they felt the need to cast Laurence Fishburne in the role of Perry White, he was criminally underused and the job could just as easily have been played by any old actor they'd simply pulled off the street and thrown a script!

Whilst the CGI is ok, the plot and overall pacing just don't work, with the laughably poor 'disguise' to end the film, being the crowning turd in the water bowl.

If you're into the typical action popcorn flick that seems to have taken over modern cinema these days, then chances are you'll find it fairly entertaining, but die hard comic fans and anyone who doesn't clap at the end of a movie in the cinema can find more interesting fare in many other places...
mrjoneseznDec 1, 2013
Others have described this film as having a "businesslike" tone, and I would agree. there are numerous plot holes, enough to keep this from a rating of 7 or 8. As a comic-book nerd, I'm used to seeing different takes on Superman's origin,Others have described this film as having a "businesslike" tone, and I would agree. there are numerous plot holes, enough to keep this from a rating of 7 or 8. As a comic-book nerd, I'm used to seeing different takes on Superman's origin, and I really enjoyed that aspect of this film. The first 30-40 minutes are less superhero flick and more sci-fi.
If you can deal with something different than the Christopher Reeve films, and can ignore some holes and inconsistencies in storytelling, you'll enjoy this one.
BnhafwentsAug 22, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good film, but sometimes i feel like if the screenplay was incoherent. however this fail is fixed thanks to the destructive scenes, the plot by Mr nolan, the music by mr zimmer and the most intense scenes of the film. I wish the sequels improve on the flaws in this movie. Expand
RollerKid2020Nov 30, 2013
This movie is a great new look on Superman, this movie is a terrible look at superman. This movie is a great new look at cinema while it also is said to have killed movie. This movie is so controversial that I say it is just meh. The peopleThis movie is a great new look on Superman, this movie is a terrible look at superman. This movie is a great new look at cinema while it also is said to have killed movie. This movie is so controversial that I say it is just meh. The people who like it don't see the problems while the people who hate it don't see the good side. To me with every good thing there is a bad thing. This is a movie I shall 4 times and never again. Expand
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
May not have much heart or many surprises, but the outstanding visuals and pummeling fight scenes make up for that. It's a well deserved modern reboot for the hero.
JNOTRDec 21, 2013
I liked the Batman more but this is incredible. Znyder and Nolan are a great duo. What I do not like that it becomes a little thick. The special effects, the closure, the performances and the narrative make this a masterpiece is back. TheI liked the Batman more but this is incredible. Znyder and Nolan are a great duo. What I do not like that it becomes a little thick. The special effects, the closure, the performances and the narrative make this a masterpiece is back. The best of it if Superman. Expand
TheOtherGuyJan 29, 2014
This film beats the Avengers by miles. It shows the inside struggle of the Man of Steel. The effects are incredible. The villain isn't typical at all like all other movies have tried.
mariokartheroJan 25, 2014
Man of Steel tells the story of how Clark Kent became Superman. It shows the hard times Clark had like bullying, his dad's death and trying to keep his super powers a secret. The main villain of this movie is General Zod, who killed Clark'sMan of Steel tells the story of how Clark Kent became Superman. It shows the hard times Clark had like bullying, his dad's death and trying to keep his super powers a secret. The main villain of this movie is General Zod, who killed Clark's original dad in the beginning of the movie. The movie has some really epic action scenes like the fights between Superman and Zod, which lasted for quite some time but they were still epic. When I first saw Clark Kent as an adult, I wondered why Tom Welling did not reprise his role as Clark Kent for the movie, but Henry Cavill still did a great job with it.

The only problems I had with the movie was the lack of character development and the one scene where the actor for General Zod was kinda overacting but overall it was a great movie and I don't know why critics do not like the movie, it is really good movie.
kaizidokillerFeb 13, 2014
Man of Steel is highly overrated, it's a decent film at best because it's not the definitive Superman movie. Henry Cavill is no Christopher Reeve but at least he's an improvement over Brandon Routh. It's a long-overdue reboot for theMan of Steel is highly overrated, it's a decent film at best because it's not the definitive Superman movie. Henry Cavill is no Christopher Reeve but at least he's an improvement over Brandon Routh. It's a long-overdue reboot for the franchise but I'm really disappointed by the lack of character development and the movie spends nearly an hour and a half retelling the origins of Superman that we all know to well. Kal-El is born, Krypton gets destroyed, Kal-El is sent to Earth to save their species, ponders his existence, finds out who and what he is, finds out about his parents and where he comes from, finally has a purpose in life, becomes Superman, saves people, Lois, people generally accepts him. There's really no need to spends hours telling a story that everyone is already familiar with, even the reboot of Spider-Man got the origin story over and done with within minutes and we got to see all the other characters in action. This is the problem with Man of Steel, it spends so much time telling this story that they completely forget about all the other characters in the film; even Lois feels diminished. On the other hand, I do like how the story is told. Whereas most action or superhero movies go from one action sequence to another (which can abruptly interrupt with the story), Man of Steel tells the whole story first before they overload on set pieces and CGI effects. I just don't understand how at the end of the fight, the whole city looks like an apocalypse and they're able to fix it so quickly. But I'm guessing with the help of Superman, anything is possible. The amount of action is absurd and buildings falling down is so cheesy but I enjoyed every minute of it, especially when Zod uses some machine that can lift up cars and smashes them back down (that was pretty epic). But obviously, the special effects doesn't any significance to the film. Overall, it's an above-average film. I was a bit disappointed though because we were long-overdue for a Superman film and I really expected better. Whoever tells you that it's better than the first two Superman films, and even Superman Returns, is lying to you. That's how overrated this movie is because a lot of people would go as far as to say that. Man of Steel is better than Superman 3 and 4 obviously (because those were terrible) but it's the weakest "good" Superman entry in the franchise. Expand
unadeeMar 1, 2014
Entertainment Monthly: 96% 9.6-Man of Steel provides exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its detours into generic blockbuster territory. Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to aEntertainment Monthly: 96% 9.6-Man of Steel provides exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its detours into generic blockbuster territory. Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew. This movie had non stop fun, packed with ripping entertaiment. This movie hit me like a harpoon. Expand
H32793Mar 30, 2014
Superman has finally been given the justice he deserves in film. The action is phenomenal, the origin story feels fresh, and General Zod is as threatening as ever. Seeing Cavil in the Superman costume for the first time is an inspiringSuperman has finally been given the justice he deserves in film. The action is phenomenal, the origin story feels fresh, and General Zod is as threatening as ever. Seeing Cavil in the Superman costume for the first time is an inspiring moment. The complaints I've heard about this movie seem ridiculous at times. It's time to let go of Reeves' dated Superman movies. Perhaps they were good for their time, but it's time Superman step properly into the present day. Expand
MissDraeMar 2, 2014
Ugh just no It was aweful I hated it.................save yourself the time...................and don't watch it.............don't lie to me ****......gurl
DragonBallMar 31, 2014
Couple problems here and there. Main problems I had with it were the shaky cam, and there's a good 5 - 10 minutes where Jor-El recounts the first 15 minutes of the film, WHICH WE SAW. Also, Lois Lane being asked to board Zod's ship, and thenCouple problems here and there. Main problems I had with it were the shaky cam, and there's a good 5 - 10 minutes where Jor-El recounts the first 15 minutes of the film, WHICH WE SAW. Also, Lois Lane being asked to board Zod's ship, and then they just sort of... forgot about her. Really, they take her on the ship, then put her into a cell, and just forget about her. No explanation as to why she was needed.
That said, it's still an enjoyable film. Well worth seeing.
ilikesuperman23Mar 24, 2014
Before I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told theBefore I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and will be said many times again and for good reason man of steel shows that reason with flying colors something else i loked was that it showed when supermans integrity was being challenged you could we that he wanted to hurt the people taunting him and insuIting him i thought that was something cool to see because its something relatable with all of us theres always somewhere out there doing something to purposely hurt us but we try to show self restraint and as for the action the action in this movie was flawless very smooth and didn't have a bunch of CGI except when necessary (superspeed, laser vision etc) the thing a lot of people say about this movie was to much action I say yes and no he was fighting off an alien invasion after all but I think there was also to much action because the the final battle didn't have that give you goosebumps feeling and it didn't have the suspense I think a final battle should have but what I did like was how it showed off what could happen when two kryptonians go at it but after this review I'm gonna give it a 7 out of 10 Expand
Viper8787Apr 22, 2014
This movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. ThereThis movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed in the movie and belonged there. A great dialogue with stand out performances all made this movie great. Expand
AaronWasserman2May 6, 2014
I dont get the hate on this movie... i think its really good. A bit dark and a bit to over the top with the action. But the story is great and Cavil is great as superman
MovieGKMay 8, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics say it is too dark, it has too much action.. yeah ok it is darker than every other superman incarnation and at some points the action could have been cut down a little bit but overally the film was great! You just have to accept that it is a bit different take on Superman. It shows the begining of the hero and it does it perfectly. The action is very good because it depicts superman's powers Perfectly. Henry Cavill is great as Kal-El. Amy Adams as lois lane.. uh I don't know.. Lois' character is not relly developed in this movie, but it wasn't supposed to be. It is just an introduction. And for the Superman causing to much chaos and destruction .. it was just great! It can kickstart the next movie, by showing people doubt Superman for the damage he caused. And for killing Zod.. even better! The perfect origin for Superman's no killing rule! You saw how he screamed in pain right? In the end the movie is not just enjoyable but cleverly written and directed. Good acting and great effects make this the best Superman movie to date. Imperfect but great! Expand
TheL0neW0lfFeb 14, 2015
Man of Steel was a good film and it was entertaining i had my doubts at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that I didn't really like about the film, they didn't show enough of his powers like super speed or his breath (I'mMan of Steel was a good film and it was entertaining i had my doubts at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that I didn't really like about the film, they didn't show enough of his powers like super speed or his breath (I'm just being picky). But overall a good film. Expand
santhosh24990Jun 12, 2014
the movie is great , before the release of the movie i was not very much interested because i did not like superman returns but it was way better than that it has jaw dropping visuals why the hell the critics gave the movie a very low scorethe movie is great , before the release of the movie i was not very much interested because i did not like superman returns but it was way better than that it has jaw dropping visuals why the hell the critics gave the movie a very low score but this movie movie deserved a very high score i would give the movie 8 but because is was underrated i give the movie a 10 Expand
GameChangeJul 28, 2014
This movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, ZackThis movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where he made you hate his character Expand
scartwright49Aug 1, 2014
I don't think a superhero movie has divided opinion as much as Man Of Steel. I loved it. As a superman fan I was really happy with it. I have seen it about 5 times. I really like DC's approach to superhero movies a darker, more realisticI don't think a superhero movie has divided opinion as much as Man Of Steel. I loved it. As a superman fan I was really happy with it. I have seen it about 5 times. I really like DC's approach to superhero movies a darker, more realistic grounded tone. While there were faults
Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
The Destruction of Metropolis at the end seemed a little much and by the time Zod and Clark faced off you felt a little exhausted of the amount of destruction.

But the good points

Henry Cavill was Brilliant
Zod and Faora were great villians
Kryptionians felt powerful
Fight scenes were great if not a little too long
Liked the flashbacks to Clark's childhood
Felt like a realistic reaction to alien life

The film left me wanting more and i can't wait to see what they do with batman vs superman in 2016
nick_knackSep 30, 2014
With plenty of action and well crafted dialogue, and an exceptional performance by Henry Cavill, Man of Steel truly shows why Superman is great and provides perhaps the best Superman film.
fatoshajdini101Nov 16, 2014
I knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeousI knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, too many destruction across the city of Metropolis and Superman's committed killing Zod and failed to save some citizens which is predictable. Expand
Le__XenomorphDec 15, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great, I don't care what anyone says. No one appreciates this movie because they say it's full of "destruction porn." While I have to agree that the violence is a bit excessive, it is excessive for a reason. This is because this movie is showing an inexperienced and young Superman unlike the experienced and wise Superman played by Christopher Reeve. The Superman in Man of Steel has way more human qualities and has a hard time controlling his powers, which is much more realistic. I also appreciated when Superman killed General Zod in this movie because he was making the very bold and difficult choice of killing the only other and last Kryptonian. You can see he was upset because of his crying after this scene. He had no choice! All of the realism in this movie combined with the awesome effects and solid acting makes Man of Steel get a 9/10 (Awesome). Expand
jlittle1404Jan 11, 2015
Man of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds toMan of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see the Clark Kent nerdy reporter side but for the most part I'm sold on him as Superman. Seeing Superman fly at high speeds and fight the other kryptonians was amazing! Critics did not give this movie a fair shake its one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Finally I'm happy to say Man of Steel is superb,amazing, and Super! 9 out of 10 Expand
BolasJan 7, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first watched Man of Steel I was completely against it. After actually watching it as a movie and not an anti-superman fan, I really enjoyed the movie. I had a really hard time finding a flaw outside the movie, that is besides the main flaw: Lois Lane. Now my reasoning is this: She comes in on a dig site to be in the right place at the right time, wants to find the mysterious man she met, does basic research and I do mean basic, asks a couple questions and find Clark. She also stated that he has spent a lifetime hiding. When Zod comes and demands Clark/Cal they specifically ask for her even though she has no bearing at all besides the comic book relation. Forced into more of the story by being on a Military aircraft during a bombing, and needs saving on more than one occasion. Zack Snyder forced Lois to be the love interest to fill the comic fans of the golden age. As for the rest of the movie, it was great. The fights showed how Superman is truly Superman who is struggling with his full potential. Great origin and cast. All of the movie besides the forcing of Lois Lane to be the love interest was amazing. Expand
masseyJan 17, 2015
Man of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as aMan of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as a character; only really being fleshed out when we see Clark growing and using his powers for the first time.

The first half of Man of Steel, though too dark in tone for my liking and especially for Superman, is quite good, showing the building of character relationships and some emotional moments between them. Any sign of 'heart', however, is just thrown out of the window and through several buildings in Metropolis at the very moment that Zod begins his 'alien invasion', leaving the viewer to sit through mindless action that just goes on and on, with little to no progression, making the story go nowhere.

My biggest issue with Snyder's film is that it just does not feel like a Superman film. Where is that Superman magic that the first Donner film entailed? I appreciate the "updated" origin story and that we're essentially seeing Superman starting out but we never get to see him save someone in the suit. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Superman but he was just not given enough to do in the film, making his character, and a lot of the characters in the film, very empty, never letting the audience care for any of them (apart from perhaps Mama and Papa Kent).

Man of Steel is all style and no substance.
RcebanksJun 26, 2015
I'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of myI'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder for making the deepest, most complex and best version of Superman I've ever experienced.

Man of Steel begins with the birth of Kal-El on his home planet of Krypton, which is literally on the brink of self destruction. Kal's father, Jor-El , knows this so he sends his son to Earth in the hopes of him carrying on their race. This portion of the film was done very well, and you feel every minute of the urgency and drama. Seeing Krypton fully beautifully and tragically realized on film was breathtaking, even if for a short time. After the intro, things are a bit fast fowarded, as you see Clark Kent/Kal El now as an adult. Although you see Clark as an adult, the film does an amazing job of developing his character through several flashbacks of him as a boy, a teenager and a young adult throughout. Those flashbacks are meaningful as the events in the flashbacks shape him into the man he is and is to become. One of the more emotional flashbacks was during a time when Clark was just a little boy, being overwhelmed with his new-found powers during a classroom lesson.

Man of Steel shows the struggle of Superman trying to figure out who he really is in a world that he does not come from. When he finally does find out in the middle section of the film, you feel the same excitement and exhilaration that he does, especially when he dons the iconic blue and red suit of his home planet. The tone of the film does shift shortly after when General Zod, the main antagonistic and villain of the film, appears. To put it short, Zod wants to turn Earth into Krypton at the expense of every living thing on the planet. Man of Steel showcases one of the best villains in a comic book film that I've seen since Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Zod actually has a concrete and justifiable reason for his actions and decisions in the film, which set him apart from most throw-away villains in comic book films today. It's because of those reasons he actually feels like a threat and gives the film solidity.

While the first half of Man of Steel is focused on character development and story building, the second half is a huge, action packed payoff as Zod attempts to carry out his plan of literally destroying one planet and rebuilding another. Some critics and people felt that there was too much destruction and death. To truly demonstrate how much of a threat General Zod was, the film showed the true result of a villain's actions. Im glad Snyder took this route of showing actions as opposed to just the plans of a would-be villain being foiled beforehand by the obligatory hero before anything serious actually happens. The villain actually felt like a true comic book adversary.

By the end of the film when you finally see Clark putting on his glasses on his first at the Daily Planet, you get goosebumps and when Lois Lane says to Clark "welcome to the planet", it makes you want to smile just as Clark did. By the time the credits rolled with Hans Zimmer's theme following, I found myself wanting to continue in on Supe's story.

UltimateBubFeb 2, 2015
The first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be veryThe first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconic superhero, but I doubt longtime fans will effectively relate to the overall story and characters. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 26, 2015
This movie is more stronger then steel. This movie was far better then superman returns, I mean the actor who played superman was really good and the score was epic.
GuilvaruexApr 25, 2015
I think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequelI think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don't think it stands on it's own two feet as a movie in itself but as an addition and reinvention without completely explaining everything that Superman is that we already know. Expand
lomeliApr 27, 2015
This is a film that is ridden with flaws, but the breathtaking spectacle and innovative approach Zack Snyder takes with the classic superhero narrative is undeniably brilliant.
TheDude-Jul 21, 2015
Man of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects myMan of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildings while fighting Zod and the Christ or saviour metaphors that run throughout the film, in the end I really enjoyed it and I never got why Man Of Steel received mixed reviews but the lackluster Superman Returns a relatively positive reception
7.5/10
waronassermanMay 3, 2015
Cavill is a great superman! he really is! unfortuantly the film drags a bit and the action scenes drag on to much! but a really interesting movie and way to tell this story
ChrisjodeMay 23, 2015
"Man of Steel" breaks with past "Superman" films. Visually, this is an impressive film. The action sequences are pretty epic and certainly the smart selection of scenes and abundance of this action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather"Man of Steel" breaks with past "Superman" films. Visually, this is an impressive film. The action sequences are pretty epic and certainly the smart selection of scenes and abundance of this action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly. This is a new and smart version of Superman. Expand
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
Cavill and Synder did a pretty solid job and bringing superman back on the screen. The best Superman in my opinion in terms of film and casting. I can't wait to see where the DC cinematic universe goes from here
Mauri15Jul 29, 2015
It is a very good movie, but in history there are many plot holes in the origin of the famous hero, which is "Superman".
The effects are spectacular, Krypton design, the design of armor and ships. I remembered a lot to "Pandora" of "Avatar".
Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows
The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done and a great villain who is Michael Shannon as Zod SPECTACULAR
cliftonrainAug 10, 2015
I heard it was awesome and I went to go see it and I agree what people say. I loved the flashbacks especially and the action scenes that's actual action unlike other movies that have a cheap action sequence. though I don't know why heI heard it was awesome and I went to go see it and I agree what people say. I loved the flashbacks especially and the action scenes that's actual action unlike other movies that have a cheap action sequence. though I don't know why he couldn't just fly away with him instead in snapping his neck but it was a epic neck snap. Expand
TrackerDeviceNov 2, 2015
Despite the romance being bland, Man of Steel is an exciting, action packed movie that will thrill fans, but disappoint critics. Even though Man of Steel is filled with a surprising amount of action sequences (which were the best parts of theDespite the romance being bland, Man of Steel is an exciting, action packed movie that will thrill fans, but disappoint critics. Even though Man of Steel is filled with a surprising amount of action sequences (which were the best parts of the movie), the movie does an excellent job in telling the tale of Clark Kent and his rise as Superman. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The first half of this movie is actually ok, Snyder taking some time to peg some characters well, and establish a tone fairly nicely with the use of flashbacks
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to get going, and when it does it's pretty awful. If you thought elements of the first half were far-fetched and ridiculous, you haven't seen anything yet. From here on, the film is a mess of CGI, aliens and bizzare rubbish that will stop you caring even an ounce. A lack of emotion, grittiness and any sort of sense, the whole last hour and a quater of this film is on such a huge scale, but with no real gravitas and just makes you feel kind of empty and bored.
VERDICT: A good film for the first bit, then prety terrible after that. 'Man of Steel' establishes characters well, but does little else in terms of plot, emotion, or... anything much at all.
WipeoutJun 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS AHEAD.
Amazing how things change over the years. When I was a young boy, I saw a squeaky clean Christoper Reeve in his neon blue outfit and it left a lasting impression. Long after the movie, we would still run around on our farm with red swimming towels flapping in the wind behind our backs. In those moments, the lines between fantasy and reality blurred and I became the super hero I adored.
But the way we perceived this person, this alien, had to change. This story had to be told from a different angle. We had to see it from a realistic and emotional point of view.
His personal struggle is beautifully told and succeeds in creating a deep sense of empathy. A man who had to let his farther die because he believed it when his farther told him that the world was not ready for him. A man who had to hide his identity ending up drifting around from one place to the other.
This is his journey. He brings goodness to us, but also evil and he knows he is accountable.
In the end, he becomes a being of hope, bridging the divide between a distant extinct planet and earth. He becomes a link between them and us who ends up saving us and fulfilling his father's vision.
In conclusion. The way Superman was portrayed in the 80ties, was through the eyes of children. In this movie, Kal-El is presented to us through the eyes of the adults we have become. Not only does he bridge the gap between his planet and ours, and the gap between hope and despair. In a sense, he bridges the gap between us and our child like perception of him.
KiranBossJun 26, 2013
The movie was awesome lots of action, a little bit of humor not much though and had some very emotion parts.The visual were spectacular and hans zimmer did ah wonderful good on the soundtrack. Henry cavil was an very good superman i stillThe movie was awesome lots of action, a little bit of humor not much though and had some very emotion parts.The visual were spectacular and hans zimmer did ah wonderful good on the soundtrack. Henry cavil was an very good superman i still liked reeves more. Overall it was very good and my favorite movie of the summer so far Expand
nathan100Jun 27, 2013
MOS (Zack Snyder) is the latest comic-book based reboot of the Superman story where first contact is the main epilogue for the film.

Where Superman Returns (2006) paid homage to the Donner-Reeve films, Man of Steel gives this boy scout a well needed injection of sun light in a back-story heavy extravaganza. The film uses a variety of source materials for inspiration (Sullivans, Whitney) as well as setting up a possible JL movie Whilst many question the ending, you have to say to yourself surely the way we expected him to be comes from somewhere?
theredstratJun 15, 2013
There is no way to explain the critics' panning of this other than pure Zack Snyder bias. It was exhilarating from start to finish. There was enough absurdity to pay homage to the printed canon as well as enough emotional performances andThere is no way to explain the critics' panning of this other than pure Zack Snyder bias. It was exhilarating from start to finish. There was enough absurdity to pay homage to the printed canon as well as enough emotional performances and painstaking attention to visual detail to suspend disbelief even in the most unbelievable moments. It's not tongue-in-cheek Marvelesque, it's definitely somewhat dark and in the same vein as Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. My only complaint is the "he's kinda hot" line. You'll know it when you hear it.

I was luke-warm on 300, hated Sucker Punch, and kinda liked Watchmen, but this film made me a big ZS fan and I can't wait for what comes next. His reverence for the source material is apparent in every frame and his visual brilliance with the medium is breathtaking. Almost makes me think a Justice League film could work.
skykappahJun 19, 2013
First off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have peopleFirst off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's moving with the times. It's very good so give it a chance. There are hardly any boring moments and the action is great. Cavill makes a sombre and amateurish Superman in his early days believable. Amy Adams is good in just about anything she appears in and in Lois Lane she has given us the best version, be it comic book or film. Which leads me on to state that this movie is just as much about Lois Lane as Superman. Never would I have ever imagined that a Lois Lane movie would work and it has here.
I'll finish off on why this movie didn't get a perfect 10. Well it is long at over 140 minutes. But here's the thing, it didn't feel like it at all and the time flew by. A good sign, though that's where MOS falters a little. The film has a lot crammed in and could have done with more character and story development. Let'd hope the director's cut sorts this out.

Lastly I have no idea why the critics have have been so harsh. But it just seems like it's their current M.O. Just to hate. Heed my warnings/tips and watch it for yourself. I didn't regret it.
shm0Jun 17, 2013
8/10 for a super hero movie 9/10 for a Superman movie. Great origin movie and easily the best Superman movie to date. Visual effects and fighting is amazing story is a bit simple, but it has it's moments. Highly recommend seeing in 3D8/10 for a super hero movie 9/10 for a Superman movie. Great origin movie and easily the best Superman movie to date. Visual effects and fighting is amazing story is a bit simple, but it has it's moments. Highly recommend seeing in 3D AVX or some other kind of Digital Projector. Expand
cub317Jul 15, 2013
This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than anyThis movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
MoragamiJun 15, 2013
Wow. This is the Superman movie I've been waiting over 20 years to see. I was 6 years old when I first saw Superman the movie, of course I already knew of him from Superfriends. Christopher Reeve made Superman come alive was real for me,Wow. This is the Superman movie I've been waiting over 20 years to see. I was 6 years old when I first saw Superman the movie, of course I already knew of him from Superfriends. Christopher Reeve made Superman come alive was real for me, and yes, I truly did believe a man could fly. However, time has made such vast improvements on film technology, the older films really don't hold up as well as they once did. Not to mention that resolving the first movie by reversing time was one of the sloppiest laziest ideas ever.

This new movie evolves the story of Superman's origin, but in new and interesting ways. I watched most of this movie with my mouth in an open smile, seeing Superman so alive and real, it was like I was a kid again. The acting is all top notch, and Henry Cavill looks and feels every bit the hero we want him to be. Zod is incredible and menacing, and Superman is battling for the fate of humanity, not against some billionaire with a real estate scheme, so the gravitas of this film is palpable. Kevin Costner is amazing as Superman's Earth father, and continues the long tradition of making me tear up for Jonathan Kent.

Special effects are so life like, and Snyder is a master of action, so fight scenes are creative, and the action is grand in scale yet shown in a way that makes it easy to follow. I was blown away when a Kryptonian took out a squad of solders at super speed, it was so cool looking! Superman's battles are amazingly choreographed with the fight scenes covering miles and twisting through the air and flying through exploding buildings. (Our group did feel somewhat disturbed by the amount of civilian casualties, both seen and unseen, couldn't Superman have fought them in a desert or something? We forgive him because it's his first battle though).

Man of Steel was an amazing experience, and despite what some say, I found it had just enough lighthearted and endearing moments to break the tension, and an ending that left he whole theater with smiles on their faces. I think I may go see it again in IMAX, just so I can see it even larger than life. I don't really understand the critics panning this movie so harshly. Then again, they were wrong about the Hobbit too, IMO.

Man of Steel leaves the door wide open for it's sequel, and I think we can expect to see more of the Clark Superman dynamic, as well as a better love story forming with Lois Lane (who I loved in this flick, even if she is a little underused). 9/10, a near perfect movie, and the best Superman movie of all.
daan14acdcJul 1, 2013
this movie has it al amezing action and some cry moments and amezing acting with russel crowe and the amezing other people in this movie its so good with a lilte sci fie elements and extreme music from hans zimmer its just so good do notthis movie has it al amezing action and some cry moments and amezing acting with russel crowe and the amezing other people in this movie its so good with a lilte sci fie elements and extreme music from hans zimmer its just so good do not lissen to the critics this movie is just sooo amezing so gat of your lasy as and go f.... see this movie Expand
AmongstYouJul 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, Man Of Steel does for Superman what Batman Begins did for Batman.
We're given our hero at the early stages of his career and we see grow and shape into what we believe the character to currently be. The film handles Superman's upbringing very well, but also at the same time setting up the final conflict of Earth's invasion.

Also, the special effects are spectacular. It captures the essence of any Superman comic from my childhood! It just felt great to see two of my favorite characters face off in such a grandiose fashion.

To sum it up, Man Of Steel is the perfect start to a new line of promising Superman films. I hope we see something even better come next.
BrownReviewsJul 3, 2013
Man of steel is truly amazing. We get to see the emotion that superman has to the world hes different from the rest of the world as he has a hard time keep his secret. Because he is always saving people.
The movie is really good as i
The movie is really good as i recommend anybody to watch it A superman fan or not when i went to the cinema with a friend who hates superheroes and he absolutely loved the movie so is this movie good no its not its mind blowing. Get out and watch this flick its a really good movie.
RealMuthaFJun 29, 2013
First of all, I'm in no way a fan of Superman. I haven't watched the previous movies, nor have I read the comics. In fact, I find the character pretty dull an outdated he's way too overpowered, too allmighty. But this movie is a differentFirst of all, I'm in no way a fan of Superman. I haven't watched the previous movies, nor have I read the comics. In fact, I find the character pretty dull an outdated he's way too overpowered, too allmighty. But this movie is a different case. As for the plot, it's still pretty average, not always logical and somewhat too serious, BUT the action here is stellar. From the astonishing opening sequence to the epic in all means final battle the action here is the best I've seen in a long while. Seriously, no one, not the Transformers, and not even the Avengers have destroyed half a city in such a spectacular way. Superman and his foes exchange devastating blows, throw trains at each other and punch through buildings, and that really gives the chills. Another chill-giving aspect is the soundtrack Hans Zimmer just couldn't fail in this department, the score is purely epic. To sum up, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer (director, producer and screenwriter, just in case), considering a pretty weak and bland character they were using as a base, performed admirably, making one of the best blockbuster movies I've seen in a while. Just don't expect a cult classic like the Dark Knight. Expand
jrrizzoJun 23, 2013
To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Man of Steel, what with Zack Snyder behind the camera and David S. Goyer writing the screenplay. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the film. Man of Steel retells the origin story of Kal El andTo be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Man of Steel, what with Zack Snyder behind the camera and David S. Goyer writing the screenplay. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the film. Man of Steel retells the origin story of Kal El and follows the story of him as an alien trying to find his place in the world. The film benefits from a smart, fresh take on Superman and strong performances from the cast, with Henry Cavill owning the role of Superman. While very different from the older Superman movies, yet somehow similar, Man of Steel delivers on what Superman Returns failed to give moviegoers back in 2006. High octane intense action sequences, and consistently strong writing. Overall, a fantastic, yet imperfect superhero film, with something for hardcore fans and newcomers alike. Expand
ORCSandDRAGONSMar 13, 2014
I will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a trulyI will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogy and are handled very chronologically. You always have to deal with the hero having that awkward phase where they are trying to find themselves. It's a fine premise but most of the time it consumes way too much of the movie. The origin story in this movie is handled very well with the flashbacks of the past at appropriate times that last as long as they need to to get the point across while the main story in the present progresses. This film does have flaws that would take a long time for me to explain but flaws and all I enjoyed this film. It never bored me or made me hope it was gonna wrap up. I understand not every hero movie should take the Dark Knight formula of realism but it had a good balance of fantasy and realism. I dare say.... no I'm gonna say it I enjoyed this movie WAY more than Dark Knight Rises and think it's a superior movie (raise your pitchforks at me if you must). Expand
HaVoK308Jun 24, 2013
This is a movie about Truth, Justice, Honor, Tradition, and Culture. Everything that made America great in the past. This is why the Liberal Movie Critics are trashing it.

Politics aside, the movie is great!
L3000Jun 29, 2013
One of the best superhero movies ever made, the look of the film is amazing and destroys Henry Cavill as Superman (Clark Kent and how), and the action scenes are of the highest possible quality, is like the fight scenes transformers but onlyOne of the best superhero movies ever made, the look of the film is amazing and destroys Henry Cavill as Superman (Clark Kent and how), and the action scenes are of the highest possible quality, is like the fight scenes transformers but only you know what is happening and of course the action scenes are better filmed, and the story of the film is excellent and has some references to comics, anyway Man of Steel is a movie which is indispensable to REALLY superman fan. Expand
SLY12Jun 17, 2013
Man Of Steel is like a mash up of the two early Superman films, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not going to compare this film to the earlier ones other than to say that this one is more serious in tone, but I liked that. There is nothingMan Of Steel is like a mash up of the two early Superman films, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not going to compare this film to the earlier ones other than to say that this one is more serious in tone, but I liked that. There is nothing wrong with some humor in a film, but when there is an apocalyptic event going on, like in this film and Avengers for example, I don't think humor fits in too well. With billions of dollars in damage and people surely dieing, I don't know why Iron Man would be cracking jokes, but anyway.
The story starts out on Krypton of course and this is a vision that is brand new. It was very nicely done and I wish this part of the story was actually longer, but it was still good the way it was. Fast forwarding to Earth, Clark's childhood is told in the form of flashbacks. I didn't mind this aspect either. One thing that did bother me somewhat was when he actually becomes Superman(with the suit and all), this part feels rushed. Unlike on Krypton which I felt could've used more build up, but was ok, this part of the film was quick and to the point. Could've used more development. The Characterization that is being mentioned in other reviews is very well done for Kal-El/Clark. This comes at the expense of some of the other characters just because of the screen time taken up, but I don't think it really takes away from the movie. The sequel can be used for more character build up for the supporting cast. The special effects are very well done and FINALLY do we as fans, get a Superman movie with TONS of action.

The final act has a scene or two that some people may or may not like. I didn't mind them and thought they brought a bit more depth to the movie overall.

This was a great action movie, an even greater Superman movie and a great comic book movie. I look forward to the sequel and maybe if this does well, which does deserve the support of fans and non-fans alike, we can see a Justice League movie or a World's Finest Batman/Superman team up in the future.

8/10 overall.
tinar1Jun 16, 2013
I've loved the movie. It's a nice well dine reboot of superman with many details improved from previous versions. I liked it more than many of the Avenger's films (teamed or solo) even more than Spider-Man.
It lacks the twists of Dark Knight
It lacks the twists of Dark Knight but still effective entertainment.
Some times the special effects are way too cluttered near the end but let's salute the quality of them.
GarrJun 17, 2013
Man of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or SupermanMan of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lot taking place on other planets with different technology and had a lot of action and destruction. None of this awesomeness happened in those older movies. Instead, a bunch of stupid crap happened, like Superman flying around the world to turn back time and him sleeping with Lois, which he would never do. The series should've been rebooted a long time ago, and finally it has been. This movie is just as good of a reboot as, if not better than, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. This is the first time I actually felt like Superman in a live-action movie was actually super and awesome and actually had a threat that was worthy of him. And this movie had one of the most exciting and shockingly fantastic climaxes to a movie ever. I don't know how people could not love this film. Expand
bennington13Jun 15, 2013
So I’ve been gunning for this reboot ever since Zach ‘my films are what they use to break people in Gitmo’ Snyder was announced as the director. Which is why it’s so hard to admit that the latest chapter in the DC cannon is actually quiteSo I’ve been gunning for this reboot ever since Zach ‘my films are what they use to break people in Gitmo’ Snyder was announced as the director. Which is why it’s so hard to admit that the latest chapter in the DC cannon is actually quite good.

However, it is some small consolation that this appears to be the direct result of Batman saviours Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer keeping Snyder’s most garish excesses in check. Instead, they’ve crafted an origin story that is both familiar and new, from an overlong opener on a dying Krypton to a childhood in Kansas told in flashback to the rise of a superhero pitted against the only surviving members of his race as warmongering zealot General Zod tracks him down.

Without doubt, Man of Steel is weakest when Snyder’s hyperkinetic style is unleashed. The jittery camerawork and occasionally half-baked effects detract from the otherwise bone-crunching hurly burly as near immortals throw each other across small towns and bustling Metropoli as DC seem determined to outdo their Marvel rivals in terms of onscreen destruction.

It’s no surprise that Michael Shannon wears the cloak of relentlessly genocidal psychopath like a glove in yet another role that he seems to have been born to play. Like Shannon, Russell Crowe sidelines memories of his predecessor as noble Jor-El. Acquitting himself with equal aplomb despite even greater scrutiny is Henry Cavill as the titular Man of Steel. Unlike the let’s face it, terminally dull goody two shoes Supermen of previous incarnations, Cavill’s Superman is good to his core thanks to his upbringing, but also unmistakably human to boot. Not for him endless martyrdom and humble forgiveness this Supes has a temper.

The rest of the cast (largely quality character actors plucked from primetime TV) put their backs into necessarily one dimensional characters. Oddly, only the usually likeable Amy Adams fails to light up the screen, leaving Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane the as yet unsurpassed benchmark.

Some will miss the underpants (that’s right, they’ve been banished, at least from the outside), Jimmy Olsen, and other much-loved tropes, not least John Williams’ iconic theme music. But, nostalgic as I am for the Superman of old, it’s hard to deny that Hans Zimmer’s effort are at least as stirring.

It’s clear from the grounded look of the film (only the heat vision jars) that Nolan’s Batman will not form part of the much vaunted Justice League movie. This isn’t just a Superman reboot the fate of the entire DC multiverse rests on Man of Steel’s box office. And so it is grudgingly that this sceptic must confess to being very keen to see more.
zer0sumJun 17, 2013
Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. ISuperhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend. Can't believe the critical reception. Expand
IxzigaJun 16, 2013
Critics are conflicted but I felt "Man of Steel" was the best movie I had seen in a long while. It's not big on plot development (let's face it, pretty much everyone watching it knows how Superman started) and some liberties are taken withCritics are conflicted but I felt "Man of Steel" was the best movie I had seen in a long while. It's not big on plot development (let's face it, pretty much everyone watching it knows how Superman started) and some liberties are taken with characters (not too noticeable though), but it was a masterful synthesis of action, screenplay, and meaning that will take you away if you let yourself become immersed in it.

I'm just glad it didn't go down the old dreaded path of "Superman is invincible until exposed to a magical sample of glowing moon-rock", which has been the bane of practically everything Superman to date.