Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2013
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 3227 Ratings
2,314
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
MovieGuysSep 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated it. The violence was unnecessary, the story was dragged out, and I'm pretty sure Superman killed more people than he actually saved, with all those buildings he destroyed and streets he laid waste to. Expand
Trev29Jan 5, 2014
A lifeless tiresome drag of one huge explosion followed by another. The directing, writing, and editing are all pretty bad. The characters don't feel real and identifiable. Top it all off was the fact that there was no comedy relief from this bore.
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginningThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The first half of this movie is actually ok, Snyder taking some time to peg some characters well, and establish a tone fairly nicely with the use of flashbacks
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to get going, and when it does it's pretty awful. If you thought elements of the first half were far-fetched and ridiculous, you haven't seen anything yet. From here on, the film is a mess of CGI, aliens and bizzare rubbish that will stop you caring even an ounce. A lack of emotion, grittiness and any sort of sense, the whole last hour and a quater of this film is on such a huge scale, but with no real gravitas and just makes you feel kind of empty and bored.
VERDICT: A good film for the first bit, then prety terrible after that. 'Man of Steel' establishes characters well, but does little else in terms of plot, emotion, or... anything much at all.
RipandreadOct 29, 2015
This movie was so bad that it made Superman IV look like an academy award nominee.

Starting with reinventing the traditional Superman costume to having Clark Kent work a number of manual labor jobs while he tries to figure out his destiny was bizarre let alone the fact that Lois Lane not only knows Clark is Superman but helps him get a job on the Daily Planet.

Why Brandon Routh was not allowed to reprise his role from “Superman Returns” remains another mystery to many movie goers. Henry Cavil’s performance was mediocre at best. The worst performance came from the actress who played Lois Lane.
LaGuertaJun 30, 2013
The tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for theseThe tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for these problems, the film would amount to nothing more than a generic summer blockbuster. It's worse. Expand
Nobilis1984Dec 20, 2015
Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
Alles sieht zwar visuell klasse aus und Reeves wurde fast 1:1 getroffen. Aber mein Gefühl sagt mir das dies kein richtiger Superman Film ist. Es ist für mich ein Film ohne Seele.
Sozusagen äußerlich eine schöne Frau aber die inneren Werte kann man vergessen. Keiner braucht dicke Effekte aber eine bessere Story sowie mehr Logik wären von Vorteil gewesen.
David_HApr 21, 2014
Well of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well asWell of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end when you have the inevitable battle with a bad guy; one of those battles that just goes on and on and on ...and on and on. it was ridiculous. Keep in mind its one of those situations where of course Supermnan is essentially indestructible and of course his nemesis is almost equally indestructible, yet they endlessly throw each other through buidlings, throw cars and trucks at each other, bury themselves under tons of concrete and metal... but neither one is hurt of course so you just get totally bored with it. This was a total waste and 143 minutes of my life i will never get back. Expand
WhySoSerious54Jun 19, 2013
With one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the manWith one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the man of steel. I was hoping for much more than just your average popcorn action movie. I love action movies but i understand others when they said the action seemed to dull down other elements such as who the characters are, why they are important, and why they do what they do. Expand
psyberdelicDec 17, 2013
More of the way over the top special effects attempting to make up for lack of story and characterization. Not surprised given that Zack Snyder directed. Only plus: ability to fast-forward through the interminably stupid fight scenes sinceMore of the way over the top special effects attempting to make up for lack of story and characterization. Not surprised given that Zack Snyder directed. Only plus: ability to fast-forward through the interminably stupid fight scenes since I rented it from Red Box. Expand
DollisJun 14, 2013
I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
LansdenrsJun 16, 2013
Crappy screenplay overblown piece of junk. Highly disappointed. Could have been so much better. Superman looks like wonder women with short hair. A disaster to DC and anyone who was apart of this movie
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

Laurence Fishburne as Perry Mason? Really? No Jimmy Olson? Really? Lois Lane finds out from the start that Clark Kent is superman? Really? Kent saves an entire bus filled with school children but his identity remains unknown? Really? In spite of that, Kent lets his father die because his father doesn't want him to reveal his identity? Really? And finally, are we really supposed to root for some guy who knowingly destroys half a city along with the future of his own species in the middle of a testosterone fueled fight? Really?

Also, both my girlfriend and I had more sympathy for Zod and his crew (who were more or less the only rational people in the story) than for Clark Kent or any of the other "good guys", which is quite telling considering how one-dimensional the villains were overall.
DemoraseJun 17, 2013
I judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior ofI judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deep story, mostly stuff exploding for half the movie. The screenplay is particularly inept, it tries to cram so many insignificant details (do we absolutely need to know what the codex thingy came from or look like for example...) at the expense of smooth transitions (scenes can literally jump from two people in a room to them standing in the desert), character development (the characters are cardboard cut outs, and no, 3 flashbacks of 5 mins are not enough to actually flesh out a character sorry), and most importantly storytelling: indeed the whole movie is constructed like one giant exposition, you spend most of the time catching up on things that already happened instead of having the story naturally unfold before you, and it's not a particularly interesting or original one at that. So in conclusion, my hat's off to the marketing team, because they did a hell of a job hyping up this movie and making it look like something worthy of interest, I just wish the actual filmmakers could have been as competent as them. Expand
MovieMan12Jun 28, 2013
I was so looking forward to seeing it after all the great looking trailers, but this is a mess and the worst movie i have ever seen. Everything was a mess. Long, boring and predictable like every other stupid summer blockbuster.
Qgal5kapOct 5, 2013
Truly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. ITruly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. I am very sad that I did. It sucked! Expand
EdeltraudDec 16, 2013
It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must chooseIt''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
He wears a giant S on his CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.
SpankyMay 5, 2015
5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie. 2. Lousy director....the whole film shot with a jerky handheld camera to make it look exciting and full of action.
5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie.

and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors.

3. Lousy story line constantly jumping from the past and present on Earth and on a different world.

4. Overuse of CGI. The ending kept dragging on and on as they destroyed more and more buildings. Less is more. Was actually getting antsy and bored with all the destruction.

5. The ending. When in the world is this guy going to use his super speed to at least TRY to look like someone else. I know, I'll put on a pair of glasses and know one will ever recognize me....not even my mother.
StriderKiwiJun 21, 2013
Not gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in thatNot gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in that THEY'RE MORONS. The plot is soooo freaking cliche and boring, everyone but superman is poorly developed (if at all) and acting abounds. The fights are lame and somehow less interesting than those in Transformers 3. I really don't see how anyone likes this movie and there's already a sequel in the works so perhaps next time we'll get a good villain and a good actor to play him unlike this time around... Expand
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
jsowersJun 18, 2013
I have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, exceptI have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with some pretty important works and just totally blows it. 4/10 Expand
TECfilmsJun 21, 2013
Produced on a $225 million budget, the special effects are the only thing that impress. At least at the beginning. After the 597th explosion and the 245th fighting scene you just get bored of all the noise and the visual effects that try toProduced on a $225 million budget, the special effects are the only thing that impress. At least at the beginning. After the 597th explosion and the 245th fighting scene you just get bored of all the noise and the visual effects that try to be realistic but are just too big to look in any way compelling. Little dialogue and even less story just give the film the last "kick in the ass". I seriously tried to be impressed, to be thrilled but by any means I was bound to fail! Expand
intruder313Jun 26, 2013
Reasonable first act, a good second act and then everything is ruined by 40 mins of CGI brawling and utterly stupid writing. It's almost like several different films were written then smashed clumsily together.
DannyGNov 8, 2014
The Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middleThe Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or else it's no fun! A great beginning does not make-up for a mediocre middle or a disastrous ending!

The Man of Steel starts with a fantastic back story. For the very first time we really get to observe Krypton in all it's technological glory! Only to see the story slowly degenerate into camp with cardboard characters from the military that you could find in any comic books story. And, then like a car with a stuck accelerator, the story rapidly turns into another brainless war porn and 9/11-type flick (Chicago gets trashed instead of New York. When your story is so rotten you distract your audience by wrecking another major city! Wow! That was imaginative!)

Man Of Steel is also the ultimate product placement film. In fact, you could randomly choose a half-dozen movies that have been shown on the big screen this past year - and I'll bet you the Man of Steel has more product placement then all of them COMBINED! It was so obnoxious it was distracting! In the 45 years of watching movies I can only think of a handful of times that product placement has been this aggressive!! It's also symptomatic of an incredibly weak story!

The Man of Steel is so bad I was dying to walk out; but, I went to see the film with a friend so I felt obligated to stay. At least I had the sense to close my eyes and tune-out the last half hour of explosions, grunting and screaming in order to put my meditation skills to the test! I'm happy to report that even though I was totally sober I was able to completely tune-out the last 30 minutes of the Man of Steel and I could care less about what happened to any of the story's characters!
JeveuzacJul 19, 2013
es una muy mala pelicula, ni buenas actuaciones, excesivamente larga, tediosa. Las escenas de accion están muy largas y el actor no es ni la mitad del Superman que fue el anterior.
keep_yr_biasJun 15, 2013
The positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes ofThe positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, and Diane Lane. Man of Steel tries to be dark, and at times it is, but the movie is a little too corny to be taken seriously. It's basically a slightly better version of a Michael Bay film, and that is obviously not meant as a compliment. I can't remember the last time I was more dissapointed in a movie, but I suppose that's my own fault for getting excited for a Superman movie. Expand
20 of 69 users found this helpful2049
Apartment64Jul 4, 2014
Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
Gary64Aug 25, 2013
horrible
characters
costume villains story battle, action scenes it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know. tired of same superheroes. I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage,
horrible
characters
costume
villains
story
battle, action scenes
it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know.
tired of same superheroes.
I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage, burglar.
but boring when they fight with villains, superheroes villains.
musicforallMar 25, 2016
Pa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also,Pa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also, Clark does not find himself traveling the world but rather is grounded in being from a small, rural American town with family who love and believe in him. That contrast against Batman makes both characters more compelling but the movie tries to make everything like Batman because he sells,

Watchmen was a great movie. Zach Snyder seems to enjoy reflecting heroes in a dark way largely because there's pressure for money and to follow gritty trends but it is disrespectful to the character of Superman.
FolstarJan 30, 2014
If this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached toIf this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached to forced drama, and a lot of other crap that fools the dumb popcorn eating masses into thinking it is good. Expand
117dilushamcJun 14, 2013
There is no story-telling!Last 45 minutes of time is only action.Overloaded with actions, and of course very less humanity! Zack has preferred the 'Transformers-Dark of the moon' style for his superman reboot!!The romance between Lois andThere is no story-telling!Last 45 minutes of time is only action.Overloaded with actions, and of course very less humanity! Zack has preferred the 'Transformers-Dark of the moon' style for his superman reboot!!The romance between Lois and Clark was something very special, but in this movie their relationship is a 007 romance.Spectacular but no any fun nor humor Expand
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
This is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the halfThis is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the half way point I was begging for it to be over. I strongly suggest you avoid this one at all costs. Expand
lightningbarerAug 9, 2013
whiny
depressive
sad over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic. How sad This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof. Nothing in this movie works and the fact the so many have come to scream their
whiny
depressive
sad

over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic.
How sad

This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof.
Nothing in this movie works and the fact the so many have come to scream their disapproval is typical of the fingers in the ears approach to life.
When 2 comes out, it had better be a far better movie, but with Nolans on the last 2 dcu films, I doubt it.
nickclarivetteJul 13, 2013
I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience.I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'm not too surprised after seeing what Snyder did with, or is that to Watchmen. Lately the best examples of superhero movies have been X-men and The Avengers. What a pity Man of Steel doesn't deliver on that kind of fun. Expand
MudgetSep 17, 2013
It kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I thinkIt kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I think that's almost a crime. From the get-go, when CGI monsters are attacking Krypton, I knew things were off. The introduction of an "S" as meaning something Kryptonian is also just silly. There's not even a breath of the Clark Kent many of us grew up reading and watching in film and movies this is a total 'reimagining' this Kent is charmless and dour, and ruled largely by fear in this movie. Fear of being found out, fear of being different. A Superman crafted of these elements tells a totally different story it was never Superman's though. It was Batman's, Spider-Man's, and a ton of other heroes, but never Superman's. The dialogue is so stiff and cheesy, which might work in a comic-book interpretation but here they're trying to make Superman into something emo and pouty, so it just comes off as contrived. The effects are okay and the action works, but that's where all the attention went and for a movie about the origins of a superhero, such a lack of character development is surprising. Then there's just stuff like people wandering around in arctic climates in just a coat, no problem that sort of thing. But the biggest sin of this movie is that instead of being thoughtful, soulful fun built around very solid characters, like the Christopher Reeve movies, this one tries to make huge over-the-top action sequences be the 'fun' part. I just feel it falls short on so many levels. We're not supposed to think of Superman as badass. We're supposed to think of him as our greatest advocate and defender a man of unwavering character who doesn't have to think twice about motive or intent. He always does the right thing, the good thing. He's SUPERMAN. Here he's just an 'every guy' trying to make it in this world with superpowers. Superman was always bigger than that. It is in fact what set him apart from all the Spider-Mans, Wolverines, Green Lanterns, Avengers, etc etc etc. Oh sure, he played cat-and-mouse with his identity (a single pair of glasses magically managed that for him for decades), but I don't think the intent of the story was ever to feel bad about his role, almost like he's a victim. Superman always was, and always should be, a representative of the opposite of that he's the guy who never thinks twice about his role or place and just always strives to do what's right by the human race and does it with a smile. All while being a nerdy reporter on the side. I don't know where any of this went. Expand
htimreimerSep 4, 2013
this movie is a pretentious ego trip for david goyer, christopher nolan and zack snyder.
it has little to no character development or structure, it's all symbolism and talk with vary little substance and the product placement was just sad
chibistevoJul 7, 2013
For a film that included non-stop building destruction and overblown fit-for-children violence, Man of Steel not only manages to be uninteresting and dull, but partly laughable in stages.

An unholy amount of back story and flashes drags

An unholy amount of back story and flashes drags the first half beyond reason, and the outrageous amount of fist fights between immortals and half of America's army in the second only further points the movie toward tedium. The scale and enormity of the violence is laughably trivial, that I had to wonder if I was watching the blockbuster version of Dragon Ball Z, where the violence never ends due to the borderline immortal characters.

Except, a film must end. And ignoring the awful cast and characterization When a German actress playing a side role outdoes everyone else, you have a problem the final scene of action is so hilariously trite. Despite causing Billions of dollars worth of damage and no doubt killing thousands in the process, they tag a moral scene on at the end for Superman Yes, that is your name, despite the film's idea of subtlety which is not only irrelevant, but insulting.
HawkWDSep 28, 2015
A loud mess of violence and poor righting. The destruction of the entire city was tasteless as was some of the violence. Before you get mad at me for being anti-gore or whatever, know that I liked the Dark Knight movies, including theA loud mess of violence and poor righting. The destruction of the entire city was tasteless as was some of the violence. Before you get mad at me for being anti-gore or whatever, know that I liked the Dark Knight movies, including the violence because it fit the theme of the films. This did not. Also Amy Adams portrayal of Lois Lane was insulting to the character. Expand
nidvarJun 27, 2013
this is not an origin story. they do the origin of krypton but everything else is a flash back. the moment where clark realises who he is is not even portrayed with any significance. this movie is one very expensively done saturday mormingthis is not an origin story. they do the origin of krypton but everything else is a flash back. the moment where clark realises who he is is not even portrayed with any significance. this movie is one very expensively done saturday morming cartoon drama. Expand
chrisvbJun 23, 2013
Terrible. Plot holes throughout. Then scenes where they do something that makes no sense just to keep the weak plot moving. This is not a good movie. The special effects were good, but the story just ruins it. Seriously, at one pointTerrible. Plot holes throughout. Then scenes where they do something that makes no sense just to keep the weak plot moving. This is not a good movie. The special effects were good, but the story just ruins it. Seriously, at one point Superman is being beaten, with no hope to win, then he just wins. That happens like 4 times in the movie. I know it's science fiction, but give me something at least somewhat believable. Expand
ginam5Jun 15, 2013
Man of Steel was a total disappointment on every level. Perhaps my expectations were too high knowing it was made by the same people as 300 and Dark Knight. The preview was better than the movie.
IloveelijahwoodJul 11, 2013
This movie was good...about 10% of the time. The plot was confusing and jumbled, the characters were pretty dumb and most of them had 2 second screen time and had no meaning to the story of Superman at all, the acting was too overexaggeratedThis movie was good...about 10% of the time. The plot was confusing and jumbled, the characters were pretty dumb and most of them had 2 second screen time and had no meaning to the story of Superman at all, the acting was too overexaggerated and most of all, the movie was so boring that I would've enjoyed the Lone Ranger a lot more! Expand
shengJul 15, 2013
LAME
i expected more. superman is supposed to be SUPER! this movie makes him look like a second rate copy cat whatever super hero he is. the scenes in the movie aren't that clean also.

the lamest movie ever
benbuttbusterJan 22, 2016
This is actually the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. All of the characters are unlikable heaps of garbage, the action scenes are seizure inducing **** and the plot is constant nonsensical **** 0/10, not a great one.
MaxBoyzFeb 28, 2016
Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, hater the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. I dont like DC comic. because it's dickhead
phatmamasboyJul 2, 2013
Poor movie… there was not a single moment that made me enjoy or care about anything that happened on the screen. it was long, over the top, loud, melodramatic, and as deep as a "steel" can of tuna fish. No acting and no characters… a dark andPoor movie… there was not a single moment that made me enjoy or care about anything that happened on the screen. it was long, over the top, loud, melodramatic, and as deep as a "steel" can of tuna fish. No acting and no characters… a dark and gloomy transformers… If you love the DC universe… then you owe it to the wonderful universe the comics have create to hate this borefest…. Zack Snyder… seriously guy… you suck!!! Expand
mintloNov 15, 2013
I did not like this movie. Watching (nearly) indestructable people throw each other into objects is pretty boring. Then Superman simply breaks the bad guys neck...like why didn't he just do that in the first place. Looking back on it II did not like this movie. Watching (nearly) indestructable people throw each other into objects is pretty boring. Then Superman simply breaks the bad guys neck...like why didn't he just do that in the first place. Looking back on it I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from watching it. I like some of Zach Snyders other movies, this screwed the pooch in my opinion. Expand
MispeledStalionJun 23, 2014
I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. TheI couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
TehBrawlerJun 14, 2013
"Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is"Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is wishy-washy at best, preferring to just ignore facts than to take the time to explain them, and Superman's motivations are never truly clear, which makes the entire character feel fake. Beyond that, though, Superman's role in the plot is almost nonexistent: one could take him out of the movie and have the exact same plot with better pacing. Don't waste your money on this one: it's not worth it. Expand
srininet1Jun 16, 2013
Extreme disappointment to say the least. After a rocking Iron Man 3, Amazing Spiderman and Avengers, this is the exact opposite. Pathetic direction by Zack Snyder the film lacks soul and actors mouth dialogues for the sake of saying it,Extreme disappointment to say the least. After a rocking Iron Man 3, Amazing Spiderman and Avengers, this is the exact opposite. Pathetic direction by Zack Snyder the film lacks soul and actors mouth dialogues for the sake of saying it, without any emotional connect. Dialogues are ridiculous and childish, and the action/special effects is quite boring/repetitive actually. Nothing earth-breaking or new for those of us who have seen Avengers, Spiderman or Iron Man. Screenplay is very haphazard, going to and fro between flashbacks and present day without clarity. Some scenes appear out of nowhere. Most disappointing is the climax...after lots of punching and destroying buildings, Superman kills the villian by twisting his head!! Couldn't he have done it the minute he met this guy? The Superman series is clearly not in safe hands. Someone like David Fincher could breath fresh life into it. Please hire him for the next. Expand
TRANDO101Jul 10, 2015
Wouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still thisWouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still this movies an injustice to such comic book Expand
seventhbeaconNov 23, 2014
A joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark beingA joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problem with how the fight with Zod ended, but I do have a problem that the buildup wasn't there so the victory/choice wasn't truly earned. After thousands of people die (which he stops to stand over their corpses to kiss Lois, ugh not a romantic moment), he suddenly cares about four idiots in a subway who don't know how to run away? Not convincing. This frat boy punch face stuff just does not comprehend the heart and joy of the Superman franchise.

Also, blatant commercial plugs for IHOP, Sears, etc were farrrr too blatant.

The only reason this movie is not getting a '0' is because Zod was a well-acted, well-portrayed villain despite the strange voice impediment, and the Krypton stuff at the beginning was fun (though again, favored action over depth, at least it had more depth than the rest of the movie).

This movie also has the most pointless death ever. Because even though he's fast enough to be a blur, they needed some B.S. dramatic moment that 'looked cool' for some dumbass reason.

Awful movie. Made me realize how much better Superman Returns was because of all the things it got right despite being a flawed movie.

Don't watch Man of $teel. With any luck the Batman/Superman movie will be better, but I doubt it, because jock-brained Zach Snyder is still helming it.
FeralsteveJan 7, 2015
Not only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over hisNot only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over his head here and knows only how to direct special effects. A truly terrible movie. Expand
boydimagesJun 16, 2013
Something tells me that many of the high scores and posts are from some PR firm hired by Warner Bros., because this movie was a train wreck. Anybody with a modicum of taste in a well scripted, paced and directed film would agree. AttemptingSomething tells me that many of the high scores and posts are from some PR firm hired by Warner Bros., because this movie was a train wreck. Anybody with a modicum of taste in a well scripted, paced and directed film would agree. Attempting to bring a Batman-like seriousness to Man of Steel was an EPIC FAILURE! "Batman" had a well executed story! True, it's my opinion...although my teenage boys didn't even like it! That's pretty telling. It's not an awful movie, it just seems to be two distinctly different movies in one. One part, life of a young boy dealing with being different while being raised in a small town (which, was not bad story telling in this film), and the other part, this over the top Michael Bay "Transformers" battle to the death, chock full of extraneous dialogue. Cavill is a "good looking" Superman for the eye candy crowd, in fact in the movie a character of a female cop sheepishly admits to this. However, this Superman is not a lot of fun, in fact he's pretty bland. Perhaps this Clark Kent should spend some time hanging out with "Iron Man" Tony Stark for a lesson in loosening up a bit. Expand
papanezJun 17, 2013
As a long time Superman fan I had great hopes and expectations for this film. I was very disappointed with this film. Superman: The Man of Steel is NOT a good Superman film; it's not even a good movie. I could go on and write a short storyAs a long time Superman fan I had great hopes and expectations for this film. I was very disappointed with this film. Superman: The Man of Steel is NOT a good Superman film; it's not even a good movie. I could go on and write a short story length review of this film and list what's wrong with it but instead I'll just get to the main points. First, Zack Snyder was a poor choice for director (where is Richard Donner when you need him?). He is NOT the right director for the character of Superman. He was great for Watchman but Superman is not anything like WATCHMEN. Second, the score was AWFUL! There are no discernible themes for anything in this movie. Thirdly, the action scenes were WAY over the top and just ridiculous. This movie was so bad it makes Superman Returns look like a classic and Superman:The Movie look like the best movie of human history (which it almost is!). Bottom line: don't waste you time on this piece of cinematic garbage. Especially if you are a fan of Superman. You WILL be disappointed. I only hope this movie fails to meet the studio's expectations so we don't see anymore of these abominations!! Expand
ConnorFilmFanJul 25, 2013
Critics are being too harsh on this film, but the more i think about it, the more I understand why. Unlike other recent hero films, this isn't the first film adaptation for the character, thus the general pop has differing views on how theCritics are being too harsh on this film, but the more i think about it, the more I understand why. Unlike other recent hero films, this isn't the first film adaptation for the character, thus the general pop has differing views on how the character should be portrayed. I can understand that the alien focus on Superman can be jarring. Overall it's an above average, pretty good origin film. While It gets a bit overboard in the third act, I occasionally wished for more Clark Kent flashbacks, and the pacing is a tad iffy throughout the film, overall it's highly entertaining, and has that fantastic visual flair that only Zack Snyder can produce. The cast does a fantastic job, particularly Amy Adams who has no issue portraying the feisty-ness of Lois Lane, yet also showing a tender side we haven't seen since Margot Kidder 7/10
One final thought on the mixed critical reception *yet positive reaction from the general public*

Of course opinions differ from person to person but it's becoming blatantly obvious which critics wear blinders for their favorite directors and how biased film critics have become.
BenjaminMaxJun 14, 2013
It could have built on the foundation it laid in the first hour but instead it decided it wanted to be a Roland Emmerich film and became sillier by the minute.
megaDJun 17, 2013
Terrible movie. It's more a "War of Worlds" and "Independance Day" than a Superman movie. You see more shooting, close combat, spacebattle and explosions than actually the main character evolving in the story. The medieval appeal of theTerrible movie. It's more a "War of Worlds" and "Independance Day" than a Superman movie. You see more shooting, close combat, spacebattle and explosions than actually the main character evolving in the story. The medieval appeal of the Krypton doesn't fit at all my view of the home world of Superman. Sure, it was formed by the first movie from the late 70's but flying on dragons is something I wouldn't expect from Superman's father. It felt a bit like "Game of the thrones". Sure, the special effects are nice but the story suffers a lot. Expand
Ecto1Jun 21, 2013
Why did they change Superman? What was wrong with him? I feel like its the same as with the Dark Knight Rises... So different from the source that it may as well be something completely different.
NinaCJun 14, 2013
It started off well enough in Krypton but then it stalled shorty after shifting to Earth and then completely went off the rails in the last hour The flashbacks kept dialing back to his struggles when I got it the first time. He's an adultIt started off well enough in Krypton but then it stalled shorty after shifting to Earth and then completely went off the rails in the last hour The flashbacks kept dialing back to his struggles when I got it the first time. He's an adult when he is first shows on screen. He has been struggling since he was a kid. He went through 20+ years including all of his adult life without making much progress. At this point, Clarke is no longer confused, he has a learning disability. Parts of the dialogue were weak esp. where the military is shown to be caricatures incapable of telling friend from foe. The scene in Church was ridiculous. And Jor-El designs space craft but he couldn't think of disabling an outside key from overrding his. BUT Zod who, from birth was only programmed to defend Krypton and has presumably no designing talent outwitted him. I mean, the list goes om. I expect ridiculous from Trasformers but I expect much smarter from Superman.. The destructo-rama in the last act needed Michael Bay's help to direct traffic. No way this gets a passing mark. Expand
smarteckNov 4, 2013
In a word: Absurd. Is extremely predictable and full of absurd situations also, actors performances are not very good. I do not understand why the developers created it this film this way...

Perhaps it was only designed for children.
wew2Jun 15, 2013
The final battle is Too long and the result is the leveling of major portions of Metropolis. The Superman I remember would have done anything to minimize the destruction (including surrender). I’m weary of these bloodless post 9/11 comicThe final battle is Too long and the result is the leveling of major portions of Metropolis. The Superman I remember would have done anything to minimize the destruction (including surrender). I’m weary of these bloodless post 9/11 comic book city destruction scenes and they really wrecked the movie for me. Film makers please watch a few minutes of the post Boston Marathon coverage and stop trivializing this kind of violence. If the destruction depicted in this film were “real” we’d be talking casualties in the tens of thousands. Expand
SuperNaivJun 21, 2013
I don't know what it was, but it wasn't Superman I know and love. It felt more like space alien invasion movie than Superman movie. Stupid soulless action movie without any real contents.
Fireball22Jun 15, 2013
Man of Steel is much more of a special effects fiasco than it is a Superman movie.

Such liberties are taken with the characters, his background, his world and the people in it that this movie is almost indistinguishable from the Superman of comics and Reeves/Reeves/Roth.

The movie itself is much more of an action movie with explosions and collateral damage, so much so that it is more similar to a Michael Bay movie than something with an interesting or good story.

If I had never heard of Superman before, and they didn't call this Superman, I would say it's not for me. Since it IS a Superman movie, it falls even shorter.
WhiskerbroJun 23, 2013
This movie is absolutely awful. The actors are all right, but the story has so many plot holes it just makes me angry. The action scenes are dull at best, and extremely repetitive. I almost walked out of this movie, and was happy when itThis movie is absolutely awful. The actors are all right, but the story has so many plot holes it just makes me angry. The action scenes are dull at best, and extremely repetitive. I almost walked out of this movie, and was happy when it ended. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. Expand
nickyblazeJun 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review may be a bit biased since I've never been a huge fan of the Superman comic book however, as a film I found this one in particular to be completely uninspired and unoriginal. Hope this doesn't count as a spoiler but, the fate of Superman basically rests on a flash drive. Also the outdated CG made every character animated through it seem like rubber. Expand
TheMasterCriticAug 1, 2013
"Man Of Steel" was a great effort at bringing life back to the Superman franchise but fell short of that goal. The actors & actresses in the film all did a stellar job giving their characters what they needed to bring them to life but without"Man Of Steel" was a great effort at bringing life back to the Superman franchise but fell short of that goal. The actors & actresses in the film all did a stellar job giving their characters what they needed to bring them to life but without a compelling story, even they couldn't save this film. "Man Of Steel" ultimately is an entertaining film but is easily one of the weaker super hero films to be released. Expand
fox294Nov 4, 2013
This was a terrible film. A terribly-told story that was poorly paced and needlessly convoluted. Cavill as Superman is well cast and the photography is visually pleasing. Other than that, this was a total miss.
fuzzpocketsDec 20, 2013
Holy crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat andHoly crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat and soulless. His actors are always chewing scenery and completely over the top. The action is ridiculous and akin to watching someone play their XBox for 2 hours. Thank god there was about 11 minutes of credits. I kept checking to see how much longer the pain would last. This is one giant stinking excrement of a movie and Warner Brothers is letting him make another one? I'm going to go watch Richard Donner's 1978 classic. You know, the one with heart, passion, great characters that you actually care about and a story that leaves you with a smile, not headed to the toilet. How far we have slipped as an audience to accept this crap. Expand
AzingboJun 19, 2013
There are more holes in this shoddy story then in a pair of fish net tights.The pace of the film is stupid.The story makes no sense at points.Like Lois just randomly climbing across an ice mountain edge just because. Its a joke.Like its theThere are more holes in this shoddy story then in a pair of fish net tights.The pace of the film is stupid.The story makes no sense at points.Like Lois just randomly climbing across an ice mountain edge just because. Its a joke.Like its the first film I have ever wanted it to end so I could leave the cinema. Expand
ElysiahJul 11, 2013
Overall this so called "blockbuster movie" is a pretty big waste of your money. Id wait until it comes out for rental and get it then.
Wasn't impressed at all.
gungadinJun 2, 2014
Movie even worse second time, you start ti wonder why do they do this? CGI nightmare, stolen scenes from other movies. Like 4th of July, Doc Oct, Loki mop scene fro. avengers, big robot looking villain walking down small town scene.

The

The acting was terrible, I think one of the worse lois lane characters ever, Perry White awful and bad scenes. Same story written again about supermans beginning boring.

Everyone knows who superman is the cops even went by his house. The fact that he didn't save his father was crazy period.

CGi awful, a lot of destruction, even the Characters in front if the CGI background looked more like a game then a movie. Just nit good. Not sure why it gets some good reviews at all?

The story was bad, from the beginning. Typical Hollywood goons can't make a DC franchise good. Enough of the origins of superman already.
jcwillia1Jul 14, 2013
I have come to expect more from Christopher Nolan's projects. Even ones he doesn't direct. The film is beautiful, it's sprawling, it's epic, it's personal but at a certain point it's just more Superman and I'm not sure that makes it better.
ldypebsabyJun 14, 2013
Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worseWell, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worse movies EVER! I did not mind the creative liberties that were taken with the story line, that is to be expected when someone adds their "spin" on an established story.

The pacing was horrid! The tone was so monotone. The movie was going for the over the top serious feel. For me, it came off as corny and at times I found myself rolling my eyes at all of the dramatic screams. By the end of the movie I was thankful it was over. In short #disappointed

It's too bad, I really want a Justice League or A World's Finest Movie but if either were to be based on Man of Steel I would not hold high hopes of it being any good.
tskflavioJun 18, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cavil não um ator a altura do homem de Aço achei ele pouco frio as vezes robótico, Ele matar o Zod aceitável, não da forma que dizer por ai "mimimi Ele precisou matar pra aprender que nunca mais deve fazer isso", ele não nenhum menininho sem consciência do que faz, fica melhor dizer que ele matou por que não tinha escolha e mesmo assim não um explicação muito boa, Eles destruirão boa parte da cidade, derrubando prédios e explodindo coisas, Superman parecia não se importar nenhum pouco com isso, mas nenhum pouco mesmo, tava nem ai.
Não curti também o fato dele não ter ajudado o senhor Kent.
Enfim eu esperava bem mais do filme, passa longe de ser do nível da trilogia Batman do Nolan!
GuyinasuitJun 15, 2013
I'll preface this by saying that I don't like Zack Snyder, so I think I went into this movie with an unfair bias against him. That said, this movie was terrible. The opening scene on Krypton actually looked really cool, if you could see it.I'll preface this by saying that I don't like Zack Snyder, so I think I went into this movie with an unfair bias against him. That said, this movie was terrible. The opening scene on Krypton actually looked really cool, if you could see it. The cinematography was so shaky that you couldn't actually concentrate on what was happening. I don't mind the dark tone that Snyder takes, but he just can't pull it off. The script was terrible, it became either a laugh or cringe fest whenever anyone opened their mouth. The action looked like a video game, unrealistic, much too fast, and entirely over the top. I don't even want to talk about the science...just awful. And of course, the acting. I love Amy Adams but what the heck? All she did was scream and cry and she was some of the better acting. Russel Crowe was tolerable, Kevin Costner was mediocre, Henry Cavill doesn't pull off the inner struggle that Snyder wants him to have, and everyone else is absolutely horrid. Micheal Shannon was the absolute worst part of the film, and his portrayal of General Zod was soul-less without Superman taking it from him. Do not go and see this unless you enjoy bad movies or have a unique sense of humor. I was lucky that I got my ticket for free, and I'd certainly hate to see anyone actually spend money on this. Expand
badpopeJun 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Tin

As you can guess from the title of my review, I did not enjoy “Man of Steel.” It had great effects and the scenes that took place on Krypton were awesome. But overall the MoS was poorly paced, poorly directed, and didn’t provide characters that I could really connect with. The action sequences also lacked a sense of peril because the combatants were invulnerable.

I’ll start off tin what I liked about MoS, Krypton. Krypton was amazing in this film. It looked and felt completely alien. There was a giant flying creature that Jor’El rode on at one point. The structures and plains in the background were uniquely designed. Krypton in this movie was a breathtaking sight to behold. The narrative on Krypton flowed better than the rest of the movie also. Major plot points are setup masterfully on Krypton but soon begin falling apart once the story moves forward to Earth.

On to Earth, and the bad aspects of the film. MoS does a poor job of telling Superman’s origin story and establishing him as a character that we can root for and care about. We get to see Clark Kent roam around aimlessly with a big depression beard, while throwing in flashbacks of his childhood. This part of the movie wasn’t horrible but the pacing was odd. He’s a man, then a boy, then back to a man, then a teen. The individual scenes were good but they were linked in an uncomfortable, schizophrenic manner. The movie begins with Clark’s birth on Krypton, so how about maintaining a linear structure throughout the rest of the movie. Clark discovers his true identity and becomes Superman in a rather matter the fact way also.

Which brings me to another and the most problematic aspect of the movie, unnecessary subplots and superfluous characters. There’s a constant cutting away from Superman to give screen time to characters and subplots that could’ve easily been cut from the movie. Uninteresting shots of military personnel meticulously setting up they’re gear and they’re guns. Scientists who reiterate plot points that General Zod just explained two scenes ago. Lois Lane’s search for Clark after seeing him use his powers really fell flat. All of these subplots detracted from Superman’s story and character development and he felt like a significantly underdeveloped character by the end of the film when we’re supposed to be really rooting for and empathizing with him.

When this movie was first announced I was really put off by the darker tone, but it turns out they stayed true to what and how Superman is supposed to be. Well…. Up until the very end. When the writers put Superman in an impossible situation and he’s forced to do a very Un-Superman like act to save lives.

The villains were not interesting at all in MoS. General Zod is no Joker, Bane, or even Loki for that matter. Zod has zero charisma and he’s completely uninteresting when he’s on screen. I didn't care about what his evil plan was, his fist fights with Superman lacked impact because they were both practically invincible, and his minions were of a dime a dozen seen’em before variety. Zod was the absolute pinnacle of mediocrity. So he fit the rest of this mess of a movie perfectly.

So…… Since Superman and Zod can’t really hurt each other, everything around them gets destroyed. They manage to almost completely level Metropolis during the last 30 minutes of this movie (in between uninteresting shots of military personnel meticulously setting up they’re gear and they’re guns.) I haven’t been this bored watching things blow up since Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I ended up just feeling sorry for all of the fictional people who were going to get stuck with rebuilding Metropolis and cleaning up this mess. During the final battle in Marvel’s Avengers there was destruction, but it was mainly cars and parts of buildings. You didn't feel like there was a catastrophic loss of life during the final showdown in the Avengers. MoS feels like a hundred 9/11s are happening all at once. It felt a little sad, because if city blocks are being completely leveled left and right, you just logically assume that thousands of innocent people are dying during this dumb slug-fest.

That’s my opinion on MoS. It feels like another failed Hollywood attempt to bring Superman to life. Made by people with no respect for the franchise or the comic book art form. Superman’s story has been told correctly in animated form and re-imagined in countless comic books for years. But the director, Zack Snider, and the writers of MoS thought they were all smarter than all of the people who have brought this character to life successfully. Sad. But this movie is still going to make a billion dollars because you people don’t care. You just want mass destruction and explosions. You don’t even care if the plot makes sense or if the characters are fully developed..
wheregeeksgotodie.wordpress
omonriseJun 20, 2013
Visuals: one of the best I've seen (espec in a blockbuster)
Cast: ok, althought the actor of Superman has too big imho
Visuals: one of the best I've seen (espec in a blockbuster)
Cast: ok, althought the actor of Superman has too big imho
Storyline: same as 99% of blockbusters, this got me really sad. Imagine if they really put a GOOD, not braindead story with these visuals.. wouldn't that be magical? -3 points for griffindor for that.
i think I'll add one more thing: if you have control of the spaceship, WHY on earth don't you simply remove the athmosphere and kill all the villains?
ignore78Jun 30, 2013
this is the worst superman i ever seen. this is not superman at all. the story is so far off from the original film.
and he is so geeky, trying to be mucho. the original superman is more charming, brave, heroic.
the new superman never
the new superman never saves anyone, he is crashing buildings and dont care about the people, that is not superman. NO, THE MOVIE WAS JUST STUPID!!! the only good in it was the special effects.
EdgyTheEdgehogJun 30, 2013
I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to makeI went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious, overlong action scenes.

If there's one thing the movie does get right, it's the casting. The lead actors are all fantastic, which helps the audience forgot how mediocre the script is for the first hour or so of the movie. After that point, everything is wall-to-wall building-crunching explosive action which seems to be catered specifically towards the Transformers crowd, but feels horrifically out of place in a Superman movie. For all its attempts to be "realistic", the movie glosses over the apocalyptic destruction and probably massive death toll wreaked by Superman and Zod over the course of what seems like four hours.

The movie overall is extraordinarily unfaithful to Superman's character and lore. There are little mistakes throughout the movie, but the climax of the movie contains a betrayal so jaw-droppingly huge that I'm honestly surprised DC allowed it on screen. Perhaps the biggest problem the movie has is that it takes itself far too seriously. Superman has always had an aspect of silliness that the original films managed to capture nicely, but is completely absent from Man of Steel. Superman is a timeless character, and rebooting him isn't a bad idea, but it would take a director much more talented and intelligent than Zack Snyder.
skreviewsJul 2, 2013
I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story wasI'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
pembrokejoeJul 5, 2013
Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
WestbeastAug 4, 2014
This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
gingerwizardDec 18, 2014
This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The onlyThis is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine. Expand
podzoramaJun 17, 2013
What???? Superman is Jesus??? Who would'a thought it Jesus/Superman is a naturalised American bought up in Texas.
So, let me get this straight, Jesus/Supermans' nemesis is the Super Villain Zod/Bin Laden who is trying to change America by destroying buildings and changing the environment to make it habitable for his Race???
To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a Superhero by way of Twilight. Bland sexless uninteresting and 2 dimensional, but at least the American Military love Jesus/Superman and he loves them. Which is sweet.
I would also like to thank the Producers and Studio for letting me know what make of camera I should be buying. The product placement in this movie was better than the Hol(e)y plot line.
Lois Lanes' character was as fleshed out as a skeleton on a diet, and her relationship with Jesus/Superman was as wet as a wet thing on a wet day in wet land.
Bad acting
Overlong tedious and dodgy CGI.
Apart from that the movie was pretty bad
refaelbaJun 23, 2013
I usually don't write reviews, but I had to warn you.
I usually don't write reviews, but I had to warn you.
I'm not one of those snobs who can't enjoy a summer flick, and some of my favorite movies are not academy-award material. But this movie is the first to make me it was such a stupid waste of time, that I left the cinema with my friends.

The movie just takes itself too seriously and ends up not being fun. It's like watching a kid telling you a simple story, while being all serious and so sure it's the greatest most important story in the world.

The dramatic scenes, which could have been the highlight of the movie, are cut too short for the effect to hold. It seems Snyder was worried his audience will get bored by actual story and just cut it down to a minimum in a way which, frankly, was insulting. It's like watching a movie with ADHD.

The bit of story that did make it in, is full of absolutely idiotic holes, and the characters are flat and undeveloped. I wish I could give you examples without spoiling the movie, but I can't. I can just say that I was laughing occasionally because it was so ridiculous and poorly written. So many "come on!" and "Are you serious" moments. Most characters act out of whim, are totally irrational and they all feel like they are still in junior high.

And the love story? Twilight fans should be pleased, because we finally found a movie with a worse love story. In this movie, there is simply no story. There's no love, and then there is, just like that with barely any justification.

The action sequences are terribly long and overdone, as if a little kid took control over the CGI studio and forced them to put his wildest fantasies into the movie. The action was rare and when it did arrive, it was way too much and not really fun. The visuals were very professional but lacked soul, ranging from generic computer game look to a terrible Instagram palette. Honestly, it was disappointing and not worth the price of admission.

Eventually, during the great (boring to tears) finale, me and my friends realized we're not that target audience (We are a group of 24-30 years old). But knowing myself, I wouldn't have enjoyed this whimsical movie even at age 10. It's just not fun. We left and got something to eat instead.

I realize there are a lot of fans out there, so before you send me any hate mail, just remember it's a matter of opinion. I found this movie to be a terrible experience for intelligent adults, but that's not a universal fact. It's just an opinion!
ElysiumUKJun 22, 2013
Man of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters areMan of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters are one-dimensional, lacking any depth, development, or motivation. Nothing and no-one makes any sense. It would seem that the loud and flashy visuals were cranked up to 11 in an attempt to disguise or compensate for this. Shame then the visuals themselves are also quite poor.

In terms of Superman's world-famous conscience and moral values, both the movie and the portrayal of Superman himself are also repugnant. I find it very difficult to believe that even the most casual of Superman fans would fail to miss the utter disregard for human life displayed. I won't say anything more about this to avoid providing spoilers.

Fans of Superman or just of decent films in general should avoid this.
TerrasJun 19, 2013
This movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound,This movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound, Cavill obviously interpreted Clark as a cinder block in a cape, and the entire second half smacks of typical Zack Snyder trash, all action, no thoughts, hero and villain punching each other from set piece to set piece. The bipolar film careens from intelligent, interesting and boisterous to utterly imbecilic and back again, sometimes all in the same scene. Sadly, this movie is not worth the price of admission as the sum of its parts are less than the individual brilliance of certain ideas.

You spend the first half dealing with garbled backstory, presented via flashbacks. The actors playing Young and Teen Clark convey a good deal emotion, which is to say they do a whole lot more in their limited screen time than Cavill. The character of Jonathan Kent is laughably stupid (Seriously, the theater laughed at him in nearly every flashback) While the individual flashbacks mostly work, they are jarring in the course of present-day plot and make the entire first act feel disjointed. One has to wonder if this is where a better director would have helped, as the movie lacks a cohesive feel. It harms the slower pacing and bores the viewer. Overall, the film attempts something similar to Bruce Willis' Unstoppable: the creation of a superhero in the modern world. It's not a bad idea and there is some merit to the film's attempt but it comes across as a mediocre sci-fi film (much like Unstoppable). It certainly doesn't feel like a superhero movie, which doesn't seem so bad until compared to...

...the special effects-laden, seemingly endless punchfest the second half devolves into. Given Zack Snyder's track record of making over-produced soulless action flicks, I suppose this should have been expected. It's almost as if one of the producers helmed the first half while Snyder yawned and interrupted all the talky scenes with incessant one-liners and cries of "Booo-ring" like a highly paid high school student, then snapped to attention and started making race car noises when it was time to choreograph the action scenes. There's not a lot to say past that. It's highly produced action, non-stop, until the end of the movie. Some of it is smart, some is moronic, there are highlights and lowlights, but with no serious plot behind it, it feels weightless.

This movie does a lot of things, though none entirely well. At points every aspect is great and at others terrible. As such it can only ever top out as a mediocre movie: an action movie that bores you to tears for half the time or an interesting plot device riddled with holes and a mind-numbingly stupid ending. No matter which side you pick, you wind up disappointed.
pjargonDec 16, 2013
No redeeming value. Big budget, dumb plot, just action sequence after action sequence. When two invincible people fight, how do you decide what a "deadly" move is? I just don't get it.
armchairjerkOct 21, 2013
In one super man movie he turns back time, sadly for the franchise this cant be done. It has been cursed to walk the earth as a dry cliche american pie Jesus swagger piece of junk. Avoids it or better yet just skip around and save your self 2 hours.
MastaxxxBlastaJun 16, 2013
Superman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driverSuperman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driver and humiliated. Superboy's solution is to walk away without saying a word. Very shortly we find out that he walked out and committed an obviously adolescent act by destroying the truck of the driver. The rest of the movie is built around justifications for superman behaving like a boy while all the women and men in uniform treat him like the second coming of christ. At one point he is even juxtaposed with the image of jesus as if the messiah message was to subtle. Visually satisfying at some moments is the best i can say about this movie. Wait for netflix. Expand
tumbidragonAug 26, 2013
Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
malociteJun 15, 2013
I LOVE Superman.... I grew up loving Superman. Perhaps its that fact that made watching this film so difficult. It is a 2 and a half hour disaster. There is so little dialogue that the film is basically overblown fight scenes followed byI LOVE Superman.... I grew up loving Superman. Perhaps its that fact that made watching this film so difficult. It is a 2 and a half hour disaster. There is so little dialogue that the film is basically overblown fight scenes followed by repeated action shots of people who seem too stupid to run away from entire buildings blowing up.

The film is so mindless that the only spoiler is to tell you that after two and a half hours you will be two and a half hours older and ten dollars poorer....

This film did accomplish one thing however... it managed to make Bryan Singer's Superman look like brilliant. Stay away...
KrauserlolsAug 27, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *sigh* The Superman movie about how to not be superman... great...
Lets get down to it right now: I hate superman as a character and no im not a stupid Batman fanboy yelling and cursing without thinking, i know what SUperman represents and i repect that (even like that) but Superman is just not my thing.

Why i bring this up you may ask? well so you can think about why a Superman hater like me got that this movie doesnt represents superman at all and the thousand and one superman diehard fans love this movie.

Another thing I am not the kind of poeple who knows alot about Acting so im not gonna judge the acting unless its so odvious that even i can notice it.

Lets get the good things out of the way first, since they are fewer: The action, like everyone says, its amazing. Its full of intence moments and tons of blowing up and its all good until you realize your watching a SUperman movie, or at least your suposed to.

What imtrying to say whit this? well if you dont get it right now let me explain: This is not Superman ok? i guess they tried to "Redeem" him from all the bad movies but instead of been a good redemption like the Dark Knight it feels more like a kick in the balls like the Green Lantern movie (live action one). Hell the Green Lantern movie at least got the idea of the hero better that this movie does.

Lets point out the biggest plot holes:
- The beguing in Krypton feels.... awkward, even out of place somehow. While the effects are cool most of the scene feels too fast to the point you dont really care whats happening or why it happens, mostly your looking at the scene for the effects. Also whats up whit Sup's mother? you know your son was sended to god knows where, your arny is reveling against the goverment and on top of all that the planet is about to blow up and you look bored like "oh here we go again". It really throws you out of the moment, if you where invested in it at all. Its sad when the villain is the one showing some feelings.

- The Scene where the step-father saves the dog from the car but the gets injured and.... you know for some reason tells Clark not to save him.... even hough he had plenty of time to walk to them or Clark to run normally and save him... or... you know i could be all day pointing out ways Clark could have saved him without revealing his powers, or using them at all... next!

- Oh yeah Superman kills Zod... because.... aparently this Superman is way too stupid to know other ways to defeat Zod without killing him like, you know Superman does. Oh wait yeah i forgot this is not SUperman, just some othe guy wearing his costume.

Those where only my mayor plot holes but they bring up the mayor problem of this movie: THIS IS NOT SUPERMAN! sorry for caps but i had to do it... but yeah this is not Superman! Superman is a hero who has a warm heart, whos prescence is enough to inspire hope in the hearts of all around him and who is incredibly strong but its kind enough to let his oponents live.
A Hero who care more about to protect the people and even the buildings of metropolis than his own life.

As much as i hate to give prays to Superman im a man of honor and i know when my enemy deserves respect.

My name is Krayserlols and If i understand it i hope you do too. Now if you excuse me i heard Lobo appeared in Young Justice.
Dicky654Jun 15, 2013
Very disappointed! Having been a fan since the first movie in 1978, enjoyed the 2nd movie immensely and even Superman Returns which I watched again last night before seeing Man of Steel.
The hype said realism (which I know with the universe
The hype said realism (which I know with the universe is a stretch) but the other movies felt more realistic and this was a jumble of noise and CGI like Transformers, however even those movies felt more coherent than this mess.
There were some sparks of interesting layout to the movie like Clark growing up and Lois showing integrity by not exposing him to the world, but really this is not in the same league as other superhero movies over the past few years.
I would have preferred a sequel to Superman Returns than this...
m-oh-mentsJun 16, 2013
This is the worst movie I have seen in years. It is over the top noise and blowing up stuff. It was grey and noisy at best and the dialog was almost pathetic. It was chopped up, badly edited, horribly written. I can not understand all theThis is the worst movie I have seen in years. It is over the top noise and blowing up stuff. It was grey and noisy at best and the dialog was almost pathetic. It was chopped up, badly edited, horribly written. I can not understand all the good reviews written for this film. It has been years since I walked out on a movie, but I walked out on this one. I could not stand the over the top battle scenes one second longer. Way too dragged out. Horrible movie! Absolutely horrible. Expand
mlf5330Jun 16, 2013
I walked into this movie with high hopes provided I love a good movie. Being produced by Christopher Nolan and a huge fan of generally speaking all of his work, I really expected alot from this movie. I came in expecting a movie that reallyI walked into this movie with high hopes provided I love a good movie. Being produced by Christopher Nolan and a huge fan of generally speaking all of his work, I really expected alot from this movie. I came in expecting a movie that really dwelved deep into superman's character, but unfortunately none of my hopes manifested themselves. It ended up being a movie where the important character development was explained in its entirety in promotional trailer of the movie. Another problem I had coming into this was my expectations for a modern superhero movie with semi-interesting plot and some character development, but instead felt as though I was left with 300:Superman Edition. The first 40 minutes kept throwing new information at me that I hoped would go somewhere. Hope that it would become something more, but those hopes quickly died. after the first 40 minutes the movie turns into that epic battle scene that lasts 2 hours too long. Beyond that, the story was faced with many plot holes, a superman that fails to be connected with, an a love interest that feels forced and rather stale. If you go to a movie simply to see a plethora of CGI, by all means, this is the movie for you, but if you are looking for a movie with any level of development your money would be better spent purchasing rope and an afternoon in your garage. Expand
CptMercJun 17, 2013
I had doubts about the movie at first. And I was right. It didn't feel like I was watching Superman, but a guy who had his powers. He was a gloomy character and seemed more like a over powered irritated babysitter than a a protector of good.I had doubts about the movie at first. And I was right. It didn't feel like I was watching Superman, but a guy who had his powers. He was a gloomy character and seemed more like a over powered irritated babysitter than a a protector of good. And through out the whole movie all kept saying to myself is why did they do that or why didn't they do this. I guess Nolan and Synder thought that by adding a ridiculous amount of special effects and destruction that it would carry a movie with a horrible story. But one plus about the movie is that the kid inside me loved it. But I have been a grown-up for a while. Expand
carteegJun 18, 2013
Although Cavill himself proves to be a perfect match for the role, the movie is destroyed by a horrific script, painfully bad camera work, and no understanding of human emotion or logic. DC's live-action movies continue to suffer from a lackAlthough Cavill himself proves to be a perfect match for the role, the movie is destroyed by a horrific script, painfully bad camera work, and no understanding of human emotion or logic. DC's live-action movies continue to suffer from a lack of quality and continue their desperate need for a major overhaul. Expand
CasplenJun 19, 2013
When I first found out about Man of Steel, I quickly assumed it's place in the world of cinema was to fill the void left behind by the recent, and also brilliant, Batman trilogy. While I didn't particularly expect something similar from aWhen I first found out about Man of Steel, I quickly assumed it's place in the world of cinema was to fill the void left behind by the recent, and also brilliant, Batman trilogy. While I didn't particularly expect something similar from a film with the same producer, I did at the very least expect something with a fraction of the quality.

I found Man of Steel to be a rather soulless affair, missing that certain quality that drives you to feel for the plot and those within- a low standard easily achieved by the decidedly bland acting from the majority of the cast, lack of development in the characters, and the poor screenplay riddled with clichés.

That said, the special effects were superb throughout, with only the camera shake effect becoming far too jarring and over-employed. It is for this reason that Man of Steel can only be described as a film that embodies the notion of style over substance. If you like the sound of a film that is overindulgent in explosions and tiresome action action sequences, this may be just the thing you're looking for.