7.6

1. Apr 28, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie isThis movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    Making a movie for Superman must be very hard but I think that they did a pretty good job at it. It is great to see a next gen Superman but to be honest I don't think fans of the original Superman movies are gonna like this as Superman does not keep his identity much of a secret. It was great to see what Superman's younger life was like as I don't think that has ever been addressed before.Making a movie for Superman must be very hard but I think that they did a pretty good job at it. It is great to see a next gen Superman but to be honest I don't think fans of the original Superman movies are gonna like this as Superman does not keep his identity much of a secret. It was great to see what Superman's younger life was like as I don't think that has ever been addressed before. The fight scene effects where great but after seeing him fly threw 3 building it quickly gets dull and this really makes the movie drag. The movie is not terrible but you could easily give it a miss. Expand
  5. Jul 2, 2013
    Saw the movie 3 times and I could go and see it again and I still will be amazed of the special effects,the story...basically everything.The acting wasnt bad.I liked the enterpretation of Rusel Crowe as Jor-El and the one of Henry Cavill.He was the real Super-Man.But Ayelet July Zurer as his mother,imo she was terrible but I still liked the acting.The thing that I mostly liked about thisSaw the movie 3 times and I could go and see it again and I still will be amazed of the special effects,the story...basically everything.The acting wasnt bad.I liked the enterpretation of Rusel Crowe as Jor-El and the one of Henry Cavill.He was the real Super-Man.But Ayelet July Zurer as his mother,imo she was terrible but I still liked the acting.The thing that I mostly liked about this movie was its originality,how the story was telled.This is definetely the best SuperMan of all time. Expand
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely MIND-BLOWING action scenes mixed with very choppy and sometimes bad character development. The main fault of the movie is Superman himself. While he can be shown struggling at a young age, and gives you a sense of where he's coming from and what he's been dealing with, he's never shown as being a fun, humorous character, which is something I personally disliked, but might be completely the opposite for other viewers. Michael Shannon does an ok job as Zod, but feels like a missed opportunity. Antje Traue, who plays Faora, is amazingly good. Some characters are in the movie with practically no purpose at all, but the action scenes can be so good, and keep your mind off of the huge missteps the movie took. All in all, a great "action" movie, but falls in certain areas. Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    This is one of those movies that is mostly good but has some glaring weaknesses. The direction and feel of the movie was stylish and the effects were phenomenal. The acting was good and the movie told a good story with a resolution. On the other hand, the dialogue in this movie was sub par. The lines felt like they belonged in a trailer and that is not the way that real people talk.This is one of those movies that is mostly good but has some glaring weaknesses. The direction and feel of the movie was stylish and the effects were phenomenal. The acting was good and the movie told a good story with a resolution. On the other hand, the dialogue in this movie was sub par. The lines felt like they belonged in a trailer and that is not the way that real people talk. The weak script led to a disconnect between the audience and characters. Also, I personally enjoyed the final action sequence, but I can see why some thought it was too long and drawn out. Expand
  8. Apr 28, 2015
    In short:
    -First half of the movie is crammed with too many plots, it jumps from age to age and doesn't tell a story clearly, it fails at building up Clark Kent as an emotional character or as a character at all
    -Second half is action with Superman already established and it's mostly fine if a little silly sometimes In long: I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's
    In short:

In long:
    I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's undertitle, but it apparently was. Krypton is going to die in the first place, but this movie apparently didn't want to spend 5 to 10 mins showing us the planet, its inhabitants, and making us feel the loss and destruction that they were facing, instead we got an honestly pointless coup d'état from General Zod which was...just stupid. It makes the time on Krypton both too long and something you just want to get over with because of all the unwanted side plots.

Then you get to Clark Kent as a ...young adult? Just straight up, we go from Krypton burns to Clark Kent as an adult. That's it. No backstory, no buildup. Booya.

The cut is BAD. Just outright incompetent. And it's not the only one.

Man of Steel spends over 40 minutes telling Clark's life by chasing off his life experiences one by one, in the most disorderly fashion. You zip from adult to late teenager to kid to adult to teenager to adult to early teenager to younger adult to adult and the worst is, not only are those scenes insufficient because they're all short and don't really mean much, not only are they difficult to really care about because they're shown in a puzzle fashion and you're supposed to put them all in order in your head, but the real absolute worse is that they're ALL having bad cuts!

It's not a fade to black or a clever "I now speak of this person or this experience in my life" and it cuts to said person like in Game of Thrones, no, it's just a hard cut that is an outright false note!

Every time I'm beginning to get interested in one of Clark's instances, I get a cut that not only breaks my interest, but takes me out of the movie because the frame ends on adolescent Clark and suddenly the moment after I'm looking at kid Clark.

Besides the incompetent cuts and unreasonable storytelling, the fact is that the time spent on Krypton's subplots should've been used to show more of Clark Kent the child. Take out 10 mins from Krypton, just show it dying and Kal El being sent out, and spend those 10 mins to build up Clark more competently than it was, with a timewise storytelling and longer scenes.

I'm giving this movie a 4(it could just as easy be a 3) because of one specific scene though. When (spoilers) Clark's dad dies. The scene was so forced, the death was so irrational and stupid, the reactions and acts of the characters so silly, that I burst out laughing.

If your most defining, character-building, emotional scene makes me burst out laughing, you are a terrible movie.

I pushed myself to watch the rest of the movie though, and I didn't regret that. Once Superman gets revealed, the action is nice, Zod is a good foe, lots of elements from the movie work well and unlike a lot of people, I find the murder scene/execution scene of Zod to be perfect for this movie. It adds a layer of depth to Superman's character and succeeds at making him a better character.

With that said, I wouldn't watch this again, ever. Besides all I've listed, the number of plot stupidities is quite high(kudos on Lois Lane for discovering the exact location of one man under a mountainside, hundreds of meters away from her, in the middle of the night, WHILE AN ENTIRE MILITARY CAMP AROUND HER DIDN'T FIND THE GUY), and it makes the movie just silly.

2 for the first half, 5 for the latter, I'll give it a 4.
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A refreshing new take on the Man of Steel.

What I liked about this interpretation of Superman is their original take on Krypton and their Kryptonian technology and history. I like the idea of the genetically engineered Kryptonian society. The eugenics explains why Zod and his army are so "evil" and how they are able to adapt to the new environment so easily. Zod and Faora simply kicks ass, and the action sequences are amazing. (Although I think it's a bit too much)

This is not exactly a traditional Superman story that we are all used to, so a lot of people might not enjoy it as a 'Superman' movie.
    The problem with Superman is that he is so powerful that he becomes unrelatable. What this film did was, they focus on the fact that Kal-El is an alien trying to fit in. By doing so, they made him seem human. He's not an outsider like Zod and his army; he's a guy who grew up in Kansas, who just happens to have these abilities, and has to deal with it.

They also got rid of a lot of the Superman mythos that can be quite ridiculous and unrealistic.
    (such as Kryptonite, the red underwear, etc.)
    What I really enjoy about this movie is how they explain everything in a scientific manner. (Kal-El's abilities, Zod adaptability to his new abilities, Zod's motivations, etc.) This really grounds the story (as science-fiction instead of fantasy), and it allows me to accept the story easier. Also, they made the Kryptonians seem like a real civilisation with their own history, culture, and technology. I like how much attention they have on developing their culture. (such as the chest symbols of the different houses)
    The way they approach the story just makes them seem realistic and believable.

What I didn't like about the movie is the pacing; it's just too fast. There's too much action/information, and not enough character development. Some of the fight scene just seem unnecessary and feels like information/sensory overload.
    I felt that the relationship between Lois and Clark is going too fast, and they didn't have much chemistry together. They shared a kiss that seemed unnecessary/premature. The relationship is just not well developed. I mean, sure, they had many scenes together, and they seem to get along well; however, they didn't seem like lovers, just good friends.

There's also some ridiculous dialogues (i.e. "evolution always wins") and some religious undertones/allusions to Superman being Christ. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but they shouldn't do it too much.

I liked the new theme, it's not like John William's iconic march, but it's still a good theme for Superman.

In conclusion, it has it's strengths and it's flaws; there's room for improvement and can be quite disappointing (might not reach expectations), but it's still pretty good.
    Keep in mind that this is just the first movie in a new universe of movies; there is just too many things to set up.

I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series. (Even more so now that it's announced that it's going to be Batman vs. Superman)
  10. Aug 2, 2013
    Critics are right on this one. Uninspiring action movie of Snyder that doesn't deserve Nolan's name on it. Hans Zimmer made a great score which made me give it a 6 instead of a 5. The masses wil love a dumbed down Superman like this, it's a guaranteed summer cash cow.
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    This movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the lastThis movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the last third or more of the movie is almost entirely Superman fighting the bad guys, which is fun to watch, but lacks substance--and even gets a bit boring. Finally, the movie hurts itself some by leaving some plot holes/character inconsistencies open. I don't want to give away anything, but it takes you out of the movie a bit when you see Superman being overly concerned with protecting life one moment, but then casually endangering it the next. All in all, still a good movie, but it really relies on the strength of its action scenes, not the introspective stuff it tries to pull off. Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    If someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don'tIf someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don't suggest that you watch this movie.. I'm TELLING you to go see this movie! grab your wife, kids, pet dog sparky and haul a$$ to the theater! Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    I will admit that the special effects are nice, ut overall the plot and dialogue is mess. The characters are made out of wood, and just boring action scenes. This movie was made for trailers not an actual cohesive movie.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    MoS got a long round of applause after it was finished in the theater I was at and it deserved it! This reboot gave us everything we wanted and delivered on nearly every level and in the very few areas where it didn't, I'm sure will be corrected in the 2nd installment.
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a great re-imagining of the Superman origin story and gave a fresh taste combined with tons of action to make a true entertaining popcorn movie of the summer.

Zack Snyder is a loyal comic book fan and those of you that did not like Watchmen did not read the comics. He was hired for one real purpose, to breathe action and special effects into Superman, something he excels at.

Moviegoers, and I call them that to separate them from fans which have a different take on Superman, had spoken at the close of Superman Returns. They said things from, "too much like Christopher Reeve" to "not enough action" to "Superman is stale, let him let loose". Warner Brothers listened and they gave you the opposite of a Christopher Reeve Superman. In Man of Steel, Superman did all of those things, he let loose his rage and fought an army of people with the same abilities. No Lex Luthor, no mind games, all action. We got a mythology rich in science fiction story not to mention we got Russell Crowe as daddy Superman Jor-El who got lots of screen time to show us what the house of El can do!

The casting was terific! Henry Cavill's Superman is bold, fresh and lets face it, he looks like Superman. Amy Adams is much more level headed and has a great deal more of common sense then Kate Bosworth did as Lois Lane. She is believable in the role. I loved Brandon Routh and thought he was a great Superman, but he was Christopher Reeve, so if we are going to move beyond Christopher Reeve then Cavill makes a nice contrast. Laurence Fishburn as Perry White! Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as the Kents. It all made for rich storytelling and well acted roles. The only thing better was imagining who was going to be in the next movie and what bad guy was going to get screen time!

If you were hoping for another Superman Returns, then this is not your picture. This is a rollercoaster moving at mach speeds with enough action to give you PTSD by the end of the movie. It's not Shakespeare but it is an iconic comic book character come to life in true comic book fashion. I highly recommend seeing this movie in a movie theater and if possible, spend the extra 10 bucks for iMax.
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just pure beauty....coming from a marvel man myself. I loved how Snyder captures the connection between Clark and his earth dad...and how its over ins tornado accident...as he watched his dad needlessly die even though he could help his dad risked his life for clarks safety PURE BEAUTY Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    horrible
    characters
    costume
    villains
    story
    battle, action scenes
    it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know.
    tired of same superheroes.
    I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage, burglar.
    but boring when they fight with villains, superheroes villains.
  18. Sep 12, 2013
    Nice movie.. i love Superman, it's really superhero movie. Awesome, i highly recommend it to you if you're fan for example of Superman franchise. I think it's movie is really underrated.
  19. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel wow now there is a mouthful well when went to se man of steel I had many doubts about whether it would be better than bryan singer's superman and I was surprised that also there is no doubts it that zack synder's man of steel is the best superman movie of all timefor those of you who haven't seen man of steel words cannot describe it Expand
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    I loved the first half of the movie, it introduces a nice and smart story in a dynamic way. The second half, on the other hand, includes extremely exaggerated situations and actions scenes that make you believe the director forgot about the main message of the film and became only concern about the visual effects.
  21. Feb 13, 2014
    Man of Steel is highly overrated, it's a decent film at best because it's not the definitive Superman movie. Henry Cavill is no Christopher Reeve but at least he's an improvement over Brandon Routh. It's a long-overdue reboot for the franchise but I'm really disappointed by the lack of character development and the movie spends nearly an hour and a half retelling the origins of SupermanMan of Steel is highly overrated, it's a decent film at best because it's not the definitive Superman movie. Henry Cavill is no Christopher Reeve but at least he's an improvement over Brandon Routh. It's a long-overdue reboot for the franchise but I'm really disappointed by the lack of character development and the movie spends nearly an hour and a half retelling the origins of Superman that we all know to well. Kal-El is born, Krypton gets destroyed, Kal-El is sent to Earth to save their species, ponders his existence, finds out who and what he is, finds out about his parents and where he comes from, finally has a purpose in life, becomes Superman, saves people, Lois, people generally accepts him. There's really no need to spends hours telling a story that everyone is already familiar with, even the reboot of Spider-Man got the origin story over and done with within minutes and we got to see all the other characters in action. This is the problem with Man of Steel, it spends so much time telling this story that they completely forget about all the other characters in the film; even Lois feels diminished. On the other hand, I do like how the story is told. Whereas most action or superhero movies go from one action sequence to another (which can abruptly interrupt with the story), Man of Steel tells the whole story first before they overload on set pieces and CGI effects. I just don't understand how at the end of the fight, the whole city looks like an apocalypse and they're able to fix it so quickly. But I'm guessing with the help of Superman, anything is possible. The amount of action is absurd and buildings falling down is so cheesy but I enjoyed every minute of it, especially when Zod uses some machine that can lift up cars and smashes them back down (that was pretty epic). But obviously, the special effects doesn't any significance to the film. Overall, it's an above-average film. I was a bit disappointed though because we were long-overdue for a Superman film and I really expected better. Whoever tells you that it's better than the first two Superman films, and even Superman Returns, is lying to you. That's how overrated this movie is because a lot of people would go as far as to say that. Man of Steel is better than Superman 3 and 4 obviously (because those were terrible) but it's the weakest "good" Superman entry in the franchise. Expand
  22. May 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics say it is too dark, it has too much action.. yeah ok it is darker than every other superman incarnation and at some points the action could have been cut down a little bit but overally the film was great! You just have to accept that it is a bit different take on Superman. It shows the begining of the hero and it does it perfectly. The action is very good because it depicts superman's powers Perfectly. Henry Cavill is great as Kal-El. Amy Adams as lois lane.. uh I don't know.. Lois' character is not relly developed in this movie, but it wasn't supposed to be. It is just an introduction. And for the Superman causing to much chaos and destruction .. it was just great! It can kickstart the next movie, by showing people doubt Superman for the damage he caused. And for killing Zod.. even better! The perfect origin for Superman's no killing rule! You saw how he screamed in pain right? In the end the movie is not just enjoyable but cleverly written and directed. Good acting and great effects make this the best Superman movie to date. Imperfect but great! Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    MOVIE OF THE YEAR! Critics are HIGH, this was the best movie I've seen all year. Aside from the gripping story, fantastic score and acting, we also have some of the most EPIC DBZ-Style Fight Sequences ever put to film. And I'm really happy with the way Superman took out Zod. (No one will ever call Superman Boring or a wimp after that final fight scene)

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait for the sequel! 10/10
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    So I’ve been gunning for this reboot ever since Zach ‘my films are what they use to break people in Gitmo’ Snyder was announced as the director. Which is why it’s so hard to admit that the latest chapter in the DC cannon is actually quite good.

However, it is some small consolation that this appears to be the direct result of Batman saviours Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer keeping Snyder’s most garish excesses in check. Instead, they’ve crafted an origin story that is both familiar and new, from an overlong opener on a dying Krypton to a childhood in Kansas told in flashback to the rise of a superhero pitted against the only surviving members of his race as warmongering zealot General Zod tracks him down.

Without doubt, Man of Steel is weakest when Snyder’s hyperkinetic style is unleashed. The jittery camerawork and occasionally half-baked effects detract from the otherwise bone-crunching hurly burly as near immortals throw each other across small towns and bustling Metropoli as DC seem determined to outdo their Marvel rivals in terms of onscreen destruction.

It’s no surprise that Michael Shannon wears the cloak of relentlessly genocidal psychopath like a glove in yet another role that he seems to have been born to play. Like Shannon, Russell Crowe sidelines memories of his predecessor as noble Jor-El. Acquitting himself with equal aplomb despite even greater scrutiny is Henry Cavill as the titular Man of Steel. Unlike the let’s face it, terminally dull goody two shoes Supermen of previous incarnations, Cavill’s Superman is good to his core thanks to his upbringing, but also unmistakably human to boot. Not for him endless martyrdom and humble forgiveness this Supes has a temper.

The rest of the cast (largely quality character actors plucked from primetime TV) put their backs into necessarily one dimensional characters. Oddly, only the usually likeable Amy Adams fails to light up the screen, leaving Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane the as yet unsurpassed benchmark.

Some will miss the underpants (that’s right, they’ve been banished, at least from the outside), Jimmy Olsen, and other much-loved tropes, not least John Williams’ iconic theme music. But, nostalgic as I am for the Superman of old, it’s hard to deny that Hans Zimmer’s effort are at least as stirring.

It’s clear from the grounded look of the film (only the heat vision jars) that Nolan’s Batman will not form part of the much vaunted Justice League movie. This isn’t just a Superman reboot the fate of the entire DC multiverse rests on Man of Steel’s box office. And so it is grudgingly that this sceptic must confess to being very keen to see more.
  25. Nov 11, 2013
    I had a good impression to seeing the film. The story isn't neither too simply and banal nor too difficult to follow.
    The character have been reinvented and rewritten with good results. For me has been a success. I think that on the base of this movie is possible to launch an interesting trilogy. Maybe was properly that who wanted the producer after abandoned the last film launched in 2006
  26. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Not sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of theNot sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of the time. Not to go overboard, I will simply say that I did not like this movie. I can acknowledge some pros though: the Super suit was cool, Zod's "purpose for which I was born" monologue in the final act was cool, and the sequences in space were breathtaking. Still, Man of Steel had nearly NO CROWD PLEASING MOMENTS....the comic relief moments spread in the movie were a hit-or-miss and would gain maybe one chuckle or a laugh out of the audience. And don't get me started on the action sequences....don't get me wrong, I love a good action movie, when it's well served. I highly enjoyed Fast 6 because it didn't try to be more than what it was, a simple mindless action-packed popcorn flick with well-placed humor and overall solid pacing. However Man of Steels action....boy was I bored by it. Explosions and skyscrapers collapsing left and right and even some annoying shaky cam in certain sequences that voided any chances of my investment. One of my friends mentioned two Easter eggs in the film: A Luthor truck and a satellite in space owned by Wayne Industries...BUT... since I WASN'T invested in the movie thanks to a sloppy and awkwardly paced script, I didn't notice these Easter eggs at all unfortunately. I personally felt also that the opening in Krypton was cool at first, but soon became over-extended. Am I the only one who felt that the special effects in this film weren't that impressive? If I am, so be it. Clark Kent/Kal-El's development was rather modest...it could've been done much better and more depth could've been put into it. Instead, the scenes of his upbringing would come in awkwardly and they felt kind of intrusive at times. This movie felt very inconsistent in terms of writing. Man of Steel's pacing was incredibly sloppy. One scene Kal-El was in a ship, then he was in a bar, then he was in the north pole, then he was suddenly Superman. Yeah, not very consistent pacing if you ask me. Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by this film. I really wanted to love Man of Steel. I wanted an excellent Superman flick with a terrific origins story that resembled the quality of Batman Begins. Man of Steel was hyped up well, but terribly under-delivered. Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    There is no story-telling!Last 45 minutes of time is only action.Overloaded with actions, and of course very less humanity! Zack has preferred the 'Transformers-Dark of the moon' style for his superman reboot!!The romance between Lois and Clark was something very special, but in this movie their relationship is a 007 romance.Spectacular but no any fun nor humor
  28. Jun 18, 2013
    This score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt likeThis score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt like Superman was being legitimately threatened. The plot issues in every Superman movie are consistent; Superman is literally just better than everything. But hey, at least he is the most humble superhero in modern film. #seeit Expand
  29. Jun 16, 2013
    The two huge issues I had were the over-glorified destruction and death of millions, simply played for entertainment, and the poorly developed, half-baked romance between Kal-El and Lois Lane. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. It had very poor pacing as well, but a fun summer movie none-the-less.
  30. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, Man Of Steel does for Superman what Batman Begins did for Batman.
    We're given our hero at the early stages of his career and we see grow and shape into what we believe the character to currently be. The film handles Superman's upbringing very well, but also at the same time setting up the final conflict of Earth's invasion.

Also, the special effects are spectacular. It captures the essence of any Superman comic from my childhood! It just felt great to see two of my favorite characters face off in such a grandiose fashion.

To sum it up, Man Of Steel is the perfect start to a new line of promising Superman films. I hope we see something even better come next.
  31. Jun 18, 2013
    You can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of thatYou can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of that darkness. Its a darker, smarter, and brilliant Superman and superhero film. Zack Snyder wouldnt have be my first choice for this film, but took what he had and used it well. I think what really offputs critics and viewers was the use of Nolans (The director of The Dark Knight franchise) name in the film. I think alot expected to see a brilliant witty and twisty dark film, but were instead given a brilliant Superman film. Superman is not Batman, and never will be. In my view, this is just a start in what will be an amazing new imagining of the Man of Steel. Expand
  32. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel features a darker and more realistic version of Superman. The story also tells full version of Superman and successfully answer all it's questions. Even it's excessive using of flashback may make some of the viewers uncomfortable and bored in watching this film. Expand
  33. Jul 22, 2013
    A movie filled with repetitive action which got boring very quickly. The first hour was good as we saw a gradual build in Clark's character as well as flashbacks but once the action starts it does not cease and kept me looking at my watch and relieved once the film was over. Russell Crowe and Kevin Kosnier are great as well as Diane Lane but no one else really stood out to me.

Hopefully

Hopefully the sequel can bring someone a bit new and refreshing.
  34. Aug 4, 2013
    I didn't have any doubts that Zack Snyder would disappoint me, in fact he didn't The whole movie is just a great portrait of the "man of steel", it's the Superman that I loved to watch and the story i just well-narrated.
    I don't understand all the hate to this film, but I just want to say that "the director of a movie is just the illustrator of his own comic", so don't pretend to watch a movie perfectly-copied-by-the-comic, honestly I would gave to this movie 3 or less instead of 9 Btw, Zakk Snyder made a perfect job with some Nolan's councils, I guess (I saw his paw xD) and when I watched it, my adrenaline began to flow Henry Cavill gave a face to the new Superman and he made a great acting, really great acting for this role and the whole cast made it the same, expecially for Russel Crowe and Kevin Costner (just amazing acting),Michael Shannon was a son of in this movie, only him could do a role like Zod haha !
    Conclusions The film is great, is a director's view of Supes and we can all enjoy this movie Cheers
  35. Nov 23, 2013
    This is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the half way point I was begging for it to be over. I strongly suggest you avoid this one at all costs.
  36. Aug 1, 2014
    I don't think a superhero movie has divided opinion as much as Man Of Steel. I loved it. As a superman fan I was really happy with it. I have seen it about 5 times. I really like DC's approach to superhero movies a darker, more realistic grounded tone. While there were faults
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at the end seemed a little much and by the time Zod and Clark faced off you felt a little exhausted of the amount of destruction.

But the good points

Henry Cavill was Brilliant
    Zod and Faora were great villians
    Kryptionians felt powerful
    Fight scenes were great if not a little too long
    Liked the flashbacks to Clark's childhood
    Felt like a realistic reaction to alien life

The film left me wanting more and i can't wait to see what they do with batman vs superman in 2016
  37. Nov 12, 2014
    Zack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movieZack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movie definitely has some pacing issues, and the way it was shot was too bleak and shaky, I would have preferred to see a more colorful and steady movie. The movie has some plot holes and is oddly paced, but it's still one awesome ride and a good way to start DC's cinematic universe. Expand
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lotMan of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lot taking place on other planets with different technology and had a lot of action and destruction. None of this awesomeness happened in those older movies. Instead, a bunch of stupid crap happened, like Superman flying around the world to turn back time and him sleeping with Lois, which he would never do. The series should've been rebooted a long time ago, and finally it has been. This movie is just as good of a reboot as, if not better than, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. This is the first time I actually felt like Superman in a live-action movie was actually super and awesome and actually had a threat that was worthy of him. And this movie had one of the most exciting and shockingly fantastic climaxes to a movie ever. I don't know how people could not love this film. Expand
  39. Jun 18, 2013
    Blew my mind. Over the top Zack Snyder action, good story telling to accompany it. Went into it with high expectations and it still knocked my socks off. It's not perfect, but for a Superman movie it's as close as it gets.
  40. Jan 30, 2014
    If this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached to forced drama, and a lot of other crap that fools the dumb popcorn eating masses into thinking it is good.
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend.Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend. Can't believe the critical reception. Expand
  42. Aug 9, 2013
    whiny
    depressive
    sad over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic. How sad This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof. Nothing in this movie works and the fact the so many have come to scream their disapproval is typical of the fingers in the ears approach to life. When 2 comes out, it had better be a far better movie, but with Nolans on the last 2 dcu
    whiny
    depressive
    sad

over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic.
    How sad

This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof.
    When 2 comes out, it had better be a far better movie, but with Nolans on the last 2 dcu films, I doubt it.
  43. Jul 13, 2013
    I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'mI was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'm not too surprised after seeing what Snyder did with, or is that to Watchmen. Lately the best examples of superhero movies have been X-men and The Avengers. What a pity Man of Steel doesn't deliver on that kind of fun. Expand
  44. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I became of Zack Snyder fan with Watchmen, a film that is very near and dear to my heart. I was totally excited when I heard that he was making MOS, and became more so as the trailers were trickled out. MOS is an unusual movie and part of that feeling may come from its otherworldly music score. It wastes no time at all and gets to the meat of the story quickly, giving it a kind of dense feel. However, there are points in the movie that are hard to digest. The plot always finds a contrived way of getting Lois Lane in all of Superman's set pieces on board a space ship, in the tundra, in Kansas she never far behind. She might as well have been in the Zod fights. Also, Superman's never flown until the events of this movie?! I give Snyder huge credit for making this movie all his own, it's different in the same way Tim Burton made Batman in his own vision. I had fun, see this movie but don't nit pick its odd parts. Expand
  45. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel is a fairly good film. There's no saying that it's a great film, because it undeniably isn't. Some of the acting is somewhat wooden and flat, and it jumps from scene to scene, plot point to plot point, rather absent-mindedly and not in a memorable fashion. This results in the film falling down slightly from what it could have been. The fact that this film had Christopher NolanMan of Steel is a fairly good film. There's no saying that it's a great film, because it undeniably isn't. Some of the acting is somewhat wooden and flat, and it jumps from scene to scene, plot point to plot point, rather absent-mindedly and not in a memorable fashion. This results in the film falling down slightly from what it could have been. The fact that this film had Christopher Nolan (of The Dark Knight fame) involved meant that some people were expecting more, another Dark Knight, but that doesn't happen in this film because of the cast, both main and supporting, and the way it casually jumps between plot points without anything really holding them together, making it a rather difficult film to follow. However, on the whole this is a good film and, though it doesn't live up to expectations, it isn't exactly unwatchable and, as well as being a solid entry in the franchise, may very well be one of the best films of the lot. Expand
  46. Jun 27, 2013
    (Note: There are spoilers at the bottom of this review, but the top half is a simple, non-revealing review)

Man of Steel. What can I say about my favorite superhero and his first action-packed genesis story? Simply amazing. Before I get hit with accusations from the purists, let me make one thing clear: it was fantastic for what it was meant to be (a super-powered exhibition). Director Zack Snyder is catching a lot of heat for the creative decisions he made for the film, but I thought they were smart choices (and no, I am not a die-hard Snyder fan). In short, the film was, in my opinion, the best Superman movie of our time. Yes, the technology that is now available to filmmakers plays a huge role in my critique; but Superman is a powerhouse of a hero that has deserved this type of platform for quite some time. I feel that any technical missteps in plot, structure, character or conception are HEAVILY trounced by cinematography, pacing, sound, setting, lightning, effects, and great execution by both the cast and the crew. Henry Cavill did a super job as our hero, and quite honestly, I don't think his performance could be criticized in any way. In short, go see this movie if you want to be thoroughly entertained by our modern day Man of Steel.

HERE COME THE SPOILERS!!!!!

The good:

The film starts off in a way unique to the Superman franchise on Krypton, birthplace of our hero. The planet has been depicted in many ways over the years, often as a highly advanced aristocratic metropolis. In this film however, the technological advancements were there, but there was also a primal feel to the setting. We even see Jor-El riding a giant winged beast!

They chose to skip over the scenes where the Kents find Kal-El in the field, as well as a lot of the back-story that we often see where he's growing up. Instead, the important moments in his life (like discovering powers, early moral decisions, or losing his adopted father) are displayed via flashbacks. This was a nice change of pace because the scenes were wisely positioned throughout the film and were only revealed when directly related to the issues he was facing in the present.

The bad:

As a huge fan of this production, there was very little I didn't like. However, there were some things that struck me as odd, and they mostly revolved around Lois Lane. Let me start off by saying that I think Amy Adams is a fine actress. There was nothing wrong with her performance, but it didn't feel 'right'. Perhaps I was distracted by the fact that she was not a brunette? I'm not sure how much that factored into my perception of the character, but it was definitely something I took note of. Despite this however, I thought Adams did a really good job, and the remaining issues I have with Lois are strictly not her fault. A big issue for me was how close she and Kal seemed to get throughout the course of the story, which was in actuality, a mere couple of days in length. The big romance and deep connection they seemed to have, simply did not make sense to me.

I also am not a fan of how the two meet, which is in the "fortress of solitude". As a side note, I did not like the reimagined fortress, but I understand why it was presented to us that way. There is a Kryptonian droid of sorts guarding the fortress that strikes and hurts Kal, but when Lois is attacked by it, she manages to survive. She is injured by it, but it seems that if something can make the Man of Steel wince, it should probably straight up kill a human. Finally, if the ship is Kryptonian and operational, wouldn't the ship's atmosphere be calibrated to that of Krypton, like Zod's ship? Therefore knocking Kal unconscious? Again, I did not have huge problems with these things, I just felt like I should point them out.

The REALLY good!

Henry Cavill as Superman was not the right choice, it was the ONLY choice. Honestly, he killed it as Superman, there was no one else that could have done it better. The scenes that followed him in flight were gorgeous, and really made you feel like you were right up there with him. The costume was absolutely amazing, and the cape brought all the iconic glory that Superman has deserved all these years.

The fight scenes between Superman and lieutenant Faora-Ul and the other Kryptonian were epic. The sheer power of the brawl was outstanding and it made me feel that if that fight was real, that's exactly how it would look.

Another very cool plot point was the whole terraforming thing. The way the machine worked in the film brought a real desperation to the "end of the world" theme and it just made you root for Superman even harder.

Other stuff:

People are upset about Kal killing Zod, but I liked it. Snyder's explanation was that since this is an origin story, there was not enough time to properly explain why he would normally choose to not kill Zod. Since we don't have that time, Superman NEEDS to save the people. I fully get it, and it makes sense.

In summation: GO SEE THIS! AGAIN
  47. Jun 19, 2013
    Find the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 toFind the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 to 45 minutes too long. The only way I can see users liking this is because it is a "Superman Movie". I think in 3-4 years people will look back and say this is a disappointment. Expand
  48. Sep 4, 2013
    this movie is a pretentious ego trip for david goyer, christopher nolan and zack snyder.
    it has little to no character development or structure, it's all symbolism and talk with vary little substance and the product placement was just sad
  49. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best superman film yet!! The story was pretty dark, serious, and kinda emotional-thanks to Nolan of course. The action was amazing, the last 25-30 mins were non-stop over the top action-thank you Zack Snyder. The story of course was really good, talked about krypton which was good, how Superman/Clark Kent learn about his origin and how his step father taught him to be a better person when he was young. Lots of moral lesson in this film which I like. The pacing of the film was okay..I wished they took their time talking more about Superman/Clark when he was young. Overall the film was awesome, action was intense, cgi was top notch, and the story was dark and serious. Can't wait for a sequel. Expand
  50. Jun 29, 2013
    I've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & II've never been a Superman fan despite being a lover of all things superhero related. This film is a little patchy as it seems a directors cut would be great on DVD. The origin feels a little rushed as there seems to be no real connection to becoming Superman, it just happens. After the patchy first 40 minutes we're left with pure action. Personaly I enjoyed the film despite its flaws & I have a feeling the sequal will be amazing. Expand
  51. May 1, 2015
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.
    Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton. 2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values andI believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values and stoicism.
    And the movie showcases Superman's powers better than any ever has. His flight, strength, and heat vision are exactly what I'd expect in real life. The destruction when beings with these powers fight would be ridiculous.
    Man of Steel does a good job of feeling like it could occupy the same universe as the Dark Knight movies. And unlike The Marvel movies, it takes an unrealistic character and doesn't turn him into a caricature.
  53. Jun 16, 2013
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.

The has the best Kypton Myth and i concur but it could have been better if the script writers made kept closer adherence to the concepts of Plato, which would have made the Kyptonian Society much more viable. Instead, we have Russel Crowe mouthing haphazardly a single line, without justification, about the demerits of Krypton, like a sales person brushing off claims of excellence of his rival's products, and Superman, with visible lack of compunction, ripping apart Krypton's solution to the questions asked by all intelligent being about existence (the Genesis chamber ship) with his EYES (who can blame him? It is unlikely for twelve-year olds to be able to read beyond Plato's words). Anyone with a smattering of understanding about Plato's thoughts would have winced and railed at such scenes.

Of course, it is the intention of the script writers to pitch freedom against societal pre-destination, with Superman, bastion of freedom, choosing to do Good and besting the best warrior of the totalitarian Krytonian society, who did 'Evil' in his attempts to fulfill his purpose of protecting his people.

In the end, General Zod's death speech bespeaks a grander character in the man than in that of an alien in tights parroting about freedom and choice, as he is brought up to do.
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    This is the Superman movie i had been waiting for in a long time. Henry Cavill is perfect as Clark Kent/Superman and Amy Adams is also great as Lois Lane. It´s not a masterpiece, but it is a great summer blockbuster!
  55. Mar 13, 2014
    I will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogyI will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogy and are handled very chronologically. You always have to deal with the hero having that awkward phase where they are trying to find themselves. It's a fine premise but most of the time it consumes way too much of the movie. The origin story in this movie is handled very well with the flashbacks of the past at appropriate times that last as long as they need to to get the point across while the main story in the present progresses. This film does have flaws that would take a long time for me to explain but flaws and all I enjoyed this film. It never bored me or made me hope it was gonna wrap up. I understand not every hero movie should take the Dark Knight formula of realism but it had a good balance of fantasy and realism. I dare say.... no I'm gonna say it I enjoyed this movie WAY more than Dark Knight Rises and think it's a superior movie (raise your pitchforks at me if you must). Expand
  56. Jul 10, 2013
    I was hesitant to go see this, as I was so very disappointed in the last effort to reboot the Superman story. But, I decided to just give it a chance and glad that I did. I took my two daughters (18 and 22) and we ladies enjoyed what most probably think is a "guy" movie. Aside from what I felt was an overly long fight between Zod and Kal-El, Man of Steel is well done. Acting,I was hesitant to go see this, as I was so very disappointed in the last effort to reboot the Superman story. But, I decided to just give it a chance and glad that I did. I took my two daughters (18 and 22) and we ladies enjoyed what most probably think is a "guy" movie. Aside from what I felt was an overly long fight between Zod and Kal-El, Man of Steel is well done. Acting, cinematography, music (score), and costumes are top-notch. Great entertainment! Expand
  57. Jul 7, 2013
    For a film that included non-stop building destruction and overblown fit-for-children violence, Man of Steel not only manages to be uninteresting and dull, but partly laughable in stages.

An unholy amount of back story and flashes drags the first half beyond reason, and the outrageous amount of fist fights between immortals and half of America's army in the second only further points the movie toward tedium. The scale and enormity of the violence is laughably trivial, that I had to wonder if I was watching the blockbuster version of Dragon Ball Z, where the violence never ends due to the borderline immortal characters.

Except, a film must end. And ignoring the awful cast and characterization When a German actress playing a side role outdoes everyone else, you have a problem the final scene of action is so hilariously trite. Despite causing Billions of dollars worth of damage and no doubt killing thousands in the process, they tag a moral scene on at the end for Superman Yes, that is your name, despite the film's idea of subtlety which is not only irrelevant, but insulting.
  58. Dec 1, 2013
    Others have described this film as having a "businesslike" tone, and I would agree. there are numerous plot holes, enough to keep this from a rating of 7 or 8. As a comic-book nerd, I'm used to seeing different takes on Superman's origin, and I really enjoyed that aspect of this film. The first 30-40 minutes are less superhero flick and more sci-fi.
    If you can deal with something
    If you can deal with something different than the Christopher Reeve films, and can ignore some holes and inconsistencies in storytelling, you'll enjoy this one.
  59. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always hated Superman, and didn't want to watch this. Don't listen to the haters on this one. It's fantastic. Easily in the top 3 comic book movies. The makers took all the lame, corny stuff out of Superman, and made him believable, humanly emotional, and gave him moral decisions to make. People need to realize that sometime in war people die, and the bad guy needs to be stopped no matter what. Expand
  60. Feb 1, 2014
    Es monumental, es ÉPICA, es colosal, tiene momentos emocionantes, que se me ponía la piel de gallina, por fin vemos a Superman haciendo cosas de Superman después de lo basura que fue Superman Returns, espero mas en la secuela.
  61. Apr 20, 2015
    shake the damn camera like a polaroid picture!
    other than the retina-burning lens flare and the headache inducing camera shaking all over the place, this movie barely has anything to offer.
  62. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easy steps to a better movie:

1. Don't try to pack so much stuff in on Krypton. Put the societal and environmental decay in the background, as context. Then, have Zod and Maximus argue about the best way forward, give us some touching dialog between the man and his wife with the mismatched accent, and then have Kal's Superpod lift off to a backdrop of the pseudo-nuclear beginnings of civil war. That way we don't see Zod LOSING both militarily and in a fist fight against a scientist in the first 20 minutes of film. Fill in the other stuff with the hologram and Zod's speeches later.

2. Have little Clark try to help, somehow, and screw up. If the bully had bothered other kids, and Clark had decided to scare him or respond when nobody was looking only to accidentally almost seriously injure the kid...it would have added a lot of weight and gravitas to both Bill Durham's otherwise alarming speeches and the kid's later frustrated efforts to remain passive. The oil rig would then be a pivotal moment in his character growth. "Oh, wow....I really can save these people, if I'm careful."

3. Make it rain. Even in Kansas, tornado out of nowhere is not a typical event. Why was it deemed a bad idea to have it be raining? Also, when has there even been that much traffic in a place where a Kevin Costner character might believably live? I grew up in South Dakota, and not even a high school football game creates that much traffic (and that's about the biggest thing that happens in those areas). Does he have a field of dreams opening up nearby, perhaps? Put a storm in there, lose half the cars from the shot, and have his foot get caught when the approaching disaster whips a car while he's helping the mother...the whole "going back at the last minute to save the dog" stuff is as tired as it is corny. Please.

4. Shoo the kids away from the closet. It's bad enough that the teachers just let them stand around gossiping while the child has a breakdown....but then his mom doesn't care, either? It's a weird backdrop for what could be a very touching scene. It's not like Clark couldn't HEAR and SEE them mock him if they were in the classroom, right? You gained nothing from having them there.

5. Have somebody else kill Zod. Maybe, as Zod taunts and dares him to finish him off and Superman howls in frustration, torn between not wanting to kill and needing to save that family, Lois Kryptoknifes the guy and resolves the issue. That gives us somewhere to go in the next film. If Superman is willing to kill when the need arrives, you've really just ditched one of the primary psychological facets that informs his internal drama (the other being his loneliness, which you've also ditched). Now, all he has is a fear of cloudy days and a whole lot of superpowers.

6. Reduce the destruction by 50%. If you only wrecked 11 buildings, and only killed a baker's dozen of soldiers and civies, none of us would have walked out going "Wow...lame!" How are you going to up the stakes in a sequel? You've killed thousands (at least), had Superman purposefully end a villain with his bare hands and make choices in battle that intentionally put humans at risk (including grabbing a bad guy from a remote location and willingly hurling him through various populated buildings in a nearby town). What's left to do?

7. Don't explain everything. The scene with the scientist looking at the circle (earth, natch) and the squiggly lines and immediately intuiting (with lots of scientific babble) that they were terraforming earth was a Michael Bay-level cheeseball of a moment, and unneeded. The machine is called something like a World Engine or something. You've already told us what it does. Don't try to explain how...please. And don't tell us how Zod modded his ride to get to earth, either. It's a spaceship, built by a race that colonized the stars. We wouldn't have rolled our eyes if you'd left that out. All the explaining helped make "alien weird" look and feel a lot more just "future earth"y.

Do these things, and you'd have a much better movie methinks.
  63. Jul 2, 2013
    A more human Superman hasn't been seen on the big screen yet. And even though Clark Kent is a man who knows himself, Superman is still learning how to be a super hero.
    Even though it is an origins movie, it feels epic, and the battles are truly of comic book scale.
    Henry Cavill is excellent all across the board; the visual effects are beautiful, and the destruction is of huge proportions.
    However, there are many weak points that prevent the movie from being perfect: Goyer's screenplay is, again, full of plot holes; the Krypton sequence is highly nonsensical, and Zod is quite shallow, specially in comparison to Terrence Stamp's role and performance in Superman 2.
    But the movie's strong points are very strong, and Christopher Nolan's touches can be felt all over the experience, which makes it a story deserving of the man of steel.
  64. Jun 27, 2013
    this is not an origin story. they do the origin of krypton but everything else is a flash back. the moment where clark realises who he is is not even portrayed with any significance. this movie is one very expensively done saturday morming cartoon drama.
  65. Sep 17, 2013
    It kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I think that's almost a crime. From the get-go, when CGI monsters are attacking Krypton, I knew things were off. The introduction of an "S" as meaningIt kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I think that's almost a crime. From the get-go, when CGI monsters are attacking Krypton, I knew things were off. The introduction of an "S" as meaning something Kryptonian is also just silly. There's not even a breath of the Clark Kent many of us grew up reading and watching in film and movies this is a total 'reimagining' this Kent is charmless and dour, and ruled largely by fear in this movie. Fear of being found out, fear of being different. A Superman crafted of these elements tells a totally different story it was never Superman's though. It was Batman's, Spider-Man's, and a ton of other heroes, but never Superman's. The dialogue is so stiff and cheesy, which might work in a comic-book interpretation but here they're trying to make Superman into something emo and pouty, so it just comes off as contrived. The effects are okay and the action works, but that's where all the attention went and for a movie about the origins of a superhero, such a lack of character development is surprising. Then there's just stuff like people wandering around in arctic climates in just a coat, no problem that sort of thing. But the biggest sin of this movie is that instead of being thoughtful, soulful fun built around very solid characters, like the Christopher Reeve movies, this one tries to make huge over-the-top action sequences be the 'fun' part. I just feel it falls short on so many levels. We're not supposed to think of Superman as badass. We're supposed to think of him as our greatest advocate and defender a man of unwavering character who doesn't have to think twice about motive or intent. He always does the right thing, the good thing. He's SUPERMAN. Here he's just an 'every guy' trying to make it in this world with superpowers. Superman was always bigger than that. It is in fact what set him apart from all the Spider-Mans, Wolverines, Green Lanterns, Avengers, etc etc etc. Oh sure, he played cat-and-mouse with his identity (a single pair of glasses magically managed that for him for decades), but I don't think the intent of the story was ever to feel bad about his role, almost like he's a victim. Superman always was, and always should be, a representative of the opposite of that he's the guy who never thinks twice about his role or place and just always strives to do what's right by the human race and does it with a smile. All while being a nerdy reporter on the side. I don't know where any of this went. Expand
  66. Jun 16, 2013
    Superb movie. Nothing like I expected in the sequencing of the storytelling, but a very refreshing change up from the normal superhero "origin" movie. Henry Cavill was tremendous in showing a vulnerability that no one has seen before in Superman. Well done Snyder and Nolan!
  67. Jun 20, 2013
    How wrong can the critics be, seriously? What did they actually watch!?

I expected Man of Steel to be akin to the slew of superhero movie remakes and fall into the Green Lantern trap of dull sci-fi escapism, especially when I read a few plot overviews ahead of seeing it. Instead, it hit every note perfectly a spectacular re-imagining of the Superman franchise, providing back story,
    How wrong can the critics be, seriously? What did they actually watch!?

Instead, it hit every note perfectly a spectacular re-imagining of the Superman franchise, providing back story, vulnerability and presence to the character. Amy Adams is well cast as Lois Lane, whist Lawrence Fishburne provides a good, surprisingly level-headed Perry White, a stark contrast to the 80s movie offering.

All in all, really entertaining, does exactly what it meant to do and sets up the franchise for exciting times ahead. For this one, the Metacritic users are definitely right, the critics need to reassess.
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    Minutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poorMinutes before going to Man of Steel I checked Metacritic to get an idea what I was in store for. After reading all the negative reviews I got nervous. Now, 2 hours later I ask: What movie were those critics watching? Man of Steel was great! It's a compelling story about one of the most icon figures in the DC universe and it is ACTION PACKED. Furthermore, what's this nonsense about poor acting? The acting was fine (in fact, beyond just "fine") and I, not known to cry ever, teared up on multiple occasions. Beyond on that, a beautiful and chilling score accompanies this fine movie making it the blockbuster we've been hoping for from the Superman franchise. Go see this movie and forget what the critics are saying. Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. overall the movie movie was good but it had its problems. for starters the film does not feel like a superman film more an alien invasion type movie i don't recall anyone even calling him superman beyond a soldier towards the end of the film. The movie is a serious film which is not a problem for me. I liked seeing Clark background story from earth it helped make his seem more human and gave him a reason to defend earth. the main villain in the film general Zod is under used. most of the fight scenes in the film are done by his troops until the very end of the film where at the end of his relatively short fight Clark just breaks his neck and its over in a second it was a bit underwhelming after all that he just snaps his neck. The acting all round is good Henry Cavill is a great superman Michael Shannon while not being as good as Benedict Cumberbatch in star trek is still one of the best villeins this year. All in all this is a good film not that strong a superman film but good none the less Expand
  70. Dec 29, 2013
    Plot holes everywhere really story with some absolutely unbelievably good action sequences. Lois Lane should of been cut from the movie altogether her unlikely appearance at top secret military outposts, poorly written script and general blandness make her a totally forgettable character. You need to decide on the man your going to be??? you're going to be the sort of man that could savePlot holes everywhere really story with some absolutely unbelievably good action sequences. Lois Lane should of been cut from the movie altogether her unlikely appearance at top secret military outposts, poorly written script and general blandness make her a totally forgettable character. You need to decide on the man your going to be??? you're going to be the sort of man that could save you earth father and doesn't? a man that stands their and does nothing and watches him die??? really???? WTF????? who writes this sh*t.

Russell Crow as Jor-El however was epic
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) andMan of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) and Lara(Ayelet Zurer) have just given birth to the first natural baby in centuries. Unfortunately, the Council of Krypton refuse to stop drilling for resources from the core, and Jor-El and Lara send their son, Kal-El, to Earth so he can live a better life. He lives without being exposed of this information for 33 years, until General Zod(Michael Shannon), the former military leader of Krypton which is now nothing. Now Zod is leading his group into Earth to populate and overthrow the people of Earth. Superman must work to protect the people of Earth from the Kryptonians. The Special Effects in this movie are amazing. The only major complaint which I've also seen with other people is the last scene. It's 45 minutes of mayhem. While I felt it was an epic conclusion to an epic blockbuster, 45 minutes was certainly way too long and upset many people in the audience. Overall, anyone who isn't upset by loud noises should definitely see Man of Steel. Expand
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    I always have respect for the critics on this sight. But they must have been smoking something to only give this movie a 55. I saw the movie in 3D at the Midnight showing. IT IS AMAZING!!! The story line. The graphics. The special effects. Best movie I have seen this year.
  73. Oct 19, 2013
    Never being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone, were really strong. However, the whole Superman and Lois Lane thing didn't work very well, and I felt like they were only hooking up because they wereNever being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone, were really strong. However, the whole Superman and Lois Lane thing didn't work very well, and I felt like they were only hooking up because they were supposed to. Also, the action scenes, while impressive, got a bit out of hand towards the end, with the same superhumans braining each other against buildings for about five minutes straight, which surprisingly DOES get tiring after a while. But I felt the ending was very powerful and the whole washed-out atmosphere of the film worked really well. Any action film fan should see this. Expand
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    I was quite sceptical because of the previous Superman movies, which were mostly flops. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the plot, the intense action, and the character development in the movie. The Man of Steel did feel like he had that 'superhuman' factor, and the way little snippets of his past are revealed to us made him feel much more complicated, and we are able to empathizeI was quite sceptical because of the previous Superman movies, which were mostly flops. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the plot, the intense action, and the character development in the movie. The Man of Steel did feel like he had that 'superhuman' factor, and the way little snippets of his past are revealed to us made him feel much more complicated, and we are able to empathize with him. I also liked how General Zod came across almost as half a good person, because his motivations behind his actions were understandable, and I found myself wondering if I would have done the same as he did if my planet was in trouble. I'm talking about Earth, that is. As for the special effects, they were spectacular and simply struck something in you. I particularly loved the portrayal of the love between Clark and his foster father. The scenes weren't very cheesy but managed to pull off a sense of deep love between the two. Overall, everything came together to create one hell of a masterpiece. I agree with the Captain too. Henry was a huge chunk of eye-candy. But of course, that's only a tiny part of what's spurring me on to catch another bite of that wholesome goodness. Expand
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    When the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some AvengersWhen the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some Avengers action scenes and called it a day. This movie is mediocre at best. Expand
  76. Jun 15, 2013
    The critics are funny.... A superhero or comic book adaptation will never seem to have the plot that most of your run-of-the-mill critics will enjoy.

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you. It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing

If you're looking for Eat-Pray-Love then this is not the movie for you.

It's a must for an legitimate comic book fan that has a great balance of plot, storyline and incredible action. Henry Cavill does a solid performance of playing the humble Superman but a great hero needs a great villian. General Zod (MIchael Shannon) and his second command Faora-Ul (Antje Traue) do a great job in the battle scenes, plot and dialogue.

I'm not sure where they go from here as movie almost leaves no idea on where it might go next (Luthor?) but as long as Nolan and Snyder are at the helm then I'll be in line to see the movie.
  77. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's face it folks, there has not been a great Superman movie since Christopher Reeves soared the screens in 1978. With a new reboot of the Man of Steel, we can anticipate it as either being very good or really bad. The big critics seem to agree with such a notion. They either liked it or hated it. There is no middle ground. For me, the revived super hero film is something to admire again with a fresh slate.

Many of the strengths of this new Superman is its imaginative creativity on how it focuses on both the hero's struggles and his origin. The opening sequence of Krypton is simply a stunning visual feast that puts the compacted ice cave from the past Superman films to shame. Here, Zack Snyder and the VFX team has given us a world with spaceships, monsters, people, battles, and ultimately life and destruction. In other words, the beginning sets the tone in plot and action, like any good superhero flick should. The rest of the film is dedicated to how the protagonist learns of his past and how he evolves from an outcast with special abilities to something more. While this is sounds familiar, writer David S. Goyer gives us more back story, filling factors that were never really explored in other movies of the franchise. One such example is rather than jumping ahead with the famed Lex Luther villain, this movie's plot introduces an antagonist that has seemed to slip into oblivion...General Zod from the home world of Krypton. Like with the League of Shadows for Batman, this establishes hero's first and most important villain that has come to haunt him...a blast from the past so to speak.

Zack Snyder as director has an eye for stunning visual effects and knowing how to form a wide scope of imagination (just watch 300 and Watchmen). He also knows how to create action sequences worth remembering. Believe me, they are abundant in this movie, but they are not overbearing like in a Michael Bay film. There is a reason to them for the plot. The one thing that I seem to enjoy about the most of this movie is Hans Zimmer's musical composition. While it is unfair to say that it is better than what John Williams did in 1978, he makes something memorable and uplifting. Though doubtful, it would be appropriate for him to receive some accolades for it.

The cast in this movie is full of big names and stars. They range from the popular Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Amy Adams to the small players like Christopher Meloni, Michael Shannon, and Laurence Fishburne. Each appear to fit their parts well, but some are greater than others. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane turn in some subtle and believable performances as Superman's human parents. Whereas Russell Crowe seems to be playing himself more or less as Jor-el and Michael Shannon as General Zod has the overgrowing tendency of swelling up with anger like a child who's toy has been taken from him. Amy Adams is a little old than what I imagine for Lois Lane, but she is still lovely and plausible. Henry Cavill as Superman is the man who carries the film. He is gentle in his role and plays the outcast side of the Man of Steel well. As a superhero, he appears a bit emotionless. Then again, Superman was not known for showing much emotion.

Though I kind of have mixed feelings about the casts' performances, I am bothered the most by the style of storytelling. In comparison to the linear story method used in the 1978 film, this movie jumps around from different scenes in the first hour that seem not to relate or make sense. The accompanied flashbacks thrown in of Superman's childhood on earth makes it even more perplexing. Fortunately, the second half of the film makes up for the confusion that the first act and a half make. All things considering, "Man of Steel" has started a potentially promising new restart for Superman.
  78. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel was a total disappointment on every level. Perhaps my expectations were too high knowing it was made by the same people as 300 and Dark Knight. The preview was better than the movie.
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    I have to say this movie really came with an eraser to remove all the old superman history and start fresh. We enjoyed the film as a whole and would recommend it to our friends. It is more than a refreshing update on an old comic book hero.
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    Reviewers need to calm down and stop comparing this to the reeve films, why cant they understand that this is different.People saying its a "Special effects fiasco" are idiots its a Superman movie he flies, shoots lasers out of his eyes, and lifts cars, and fights robots i didn't think the special effects are a great addition in the movie
  81. Jul 11, 2013
    This movie was good...about 10% of the time. The plot was confusing and jumbled, the characters were pretty dumb and most of them had 2 second screen time and had no meaning to the story of Superman at all, the acting was too overexaggerated and most of all, the movie was so boring that I would've enjoyed the Lone Ranger a lot more!
  82. Jul 15, 2013
    LAME
    i expected more. superman is supposed to be SUPER! this movie makes him look like a second rate copy cat whatever super hero he is. the scenes in the movie aren't that clean also.

the lamest movie ever
  83. Oct 27, 2013
    amazing movie can't wait for the sequel superman is back general zod was awesome strong performance man of steel does have some flaws but it makes it up by giving new taste to the grandfather of superheroes
  84. Sep 9, 2013
    Finally after 3 months of its release, i am writing this review..MAN OF STEEL has become nothing but an underrated movie with low undeserving scores, true its not the best adaptation..but, one cannot simply deny the fact that it was the most successful adaptation of superman on the big screen..lots of exhilarating action..a darker tone on superman unlike the previous ones...we have toFinally after 3 months of its release, i am writing this review..MAN OF STEEL has become nothing but an underrated movie with low undeserving scores, true its not the best adaptation..but, one cannot simply deny the fact that it was the most successful adaptation of superman on the big screen..lots of exhilarating action..a darker tone on superman unlike the previous ones...we have to admit it..its the best we have got yet..from my side..its a green lit review for this film. Expand
  85. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good film, but sometimes i feel like if the screenplay was incoherent. however this fail is fixed thanks to the destructive scenes, the plot by Mr nolan, the music by mr zimmer and the most intense scenes of the film. I wish the sequels improve on the flaws in this movie. Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2014
    Before I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and willBefore I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and will be said many times again and for good reason man of steel shows that reason with flying colors something else i loked was that it showed when supermans integrity was being challenged you could we that he wanted to hurt the people taunting him and insuIting him i thought that was something cool to see because its something relatable with all of us theres always somewhere out there doing something to purposely hurt us but we try to show self restraint and as for the action the action in this movie was flawless very smooth and didn't have a bunch of CGI except when necessary (superspeed, laser vision etc) the thing a lot of people say about this movie was to much action I say yes and no he was fighting off an alien invasion after all but I think there was also to much action because the the final battle didn't have that give you goosebumps feeling and it didn't have the suspense I think a final battle should have but what I did like was how it showed off what could happen when two kryptonians go at it but after this review I'm gonna give it a 7 out of 10 Expand
  87. Mar 26, 2014
    This is my favorite movie of all time, I didn't see any flaws on it, or unless I didn't see any reason to hate it like some people that found this movie awful saying it doesn't have nothing to do with the comic but still enjoy movies like the dark knight rises...
    Don't believe on anything they say, this movie is amazing and even those who said it sucks, are waiting for the sequel...
  88. Jul 23, 2014
    Man of Steel is essentially the post origin story of Super Man, his origin is also included but this film primarily focuses on whether or not he should announce himself to the human race or live his life in secrecy. As the movie progresses it eventually evolves into the story of how Super Man is on a quest to save earth's genocide from the classic superman villain General Zod.

Henry

Henry Cavill plays the role of Clark Kent/Kal-El, or in other words Super Man. His performance doesn't stand out but it is worthy in its own right. Amy Addams also stars as the infamous reporter Louis Lane. Adams performance was better than mediocre but it certainly does not exemplify her true talent.

Zach Snyder (300) directed Man of Steel, which is a decision I highly disagree with. If DC wanted to make Man of Steal into the movie the Dark Knight was or even what the first trailer promised, Warner Brothers would need a new director. Zach Snyder brings his signature style with him but it translates very poorly to Super Man universe. His over stylized action sequences accompanied by the lackluster script reveal a major feeling of mediocrity.

I am going to divide this film in half, the first half exemplified everything I wanted in a Super Man movie; it was gritty, Super Man felt vulnerable (as much as a character such as him can), and everything was down to earth. The second half completely through out what the first had accomplished and put two immortal beings fighting each other for the better part of an hour. It was explosion after explosion that soon wore me out and lost the bulk of my attention.

The overwhelming feeling I got when I came out of the theater was how it completely wasted its potential. The first half set the premise in such a high fashion for it to only be ruined in the second and third act. The whole film just came off as disappointing which is a huge shame because it could have been so much more.
  89. Nov 16, 2014
    I knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, tooI knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, too many destruction across the city of Metropolis and Superman's committed killing Zod and failed to save some citizens which is predictable. Expand
  90. Jan 17, 2015
    Man of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as a character; only really being fleshed out when we see Clark growing and using his powers for the first time.

The first half of Man of Steel, though

The first half of Man of Steel, though too dark in tone for my liking and especially for Superman, is quite good, showing the building of character relationships and some emotional moments between them. Any sign of 'heart', however, is just thrown out of the window and through several buildings in Metropolis at the very moment that Zod begins his 'alien invasion', leaving the viewer to sit through mindless action that just goes on and on, with little to no progression, making the story go nowhere.

My biggest issue with Snyder's film is that it just does not feel like a Superman film. Where is that Superman magic that the first Donner film entailed? I appreciate the "updated" origin story and that we're essentially seeing Superman starting out but we never get to see him save someone in the suit. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Superman but he was just not given enough to do in the film, making his character, and a lot of the characters in the film, very empty, never letting the audience care for any of them (apart from perhaps Mama and Papa Kent).

Man of Steel is all style and no substance.
  91. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is the perfect Superhero film. Do you come to watch a (SUPERHERO FILM) for Romance or drama? No, you come to see it for action and seeing your favorite Superhero fight super villains. Man of steel gives you just that and does it in epic fashion. It's not to say this movie doesn't have drama or a little bit of romance because it does, It just doesn't dwell on it.

The movie

The movie gives you a little bit of everything, it shows you krypton, which we have never seen before. Don't listen to all the people that talk bad about it, mostly its critics. Its the best Superhero film I have seen as well as the best Superman anything that has ever been created. Superman has always had it hard when it comes to media other than comics, like video games and movies. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie, you won't regret it.
  92. Jun 15, 2013
    The movie was awesome, to say it was a bore you simply aren't a superman fan, excellent job, I hate how critics act like every movie has to have corny jokes, it had a fitting serious tone.
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    Poorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for aPoorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for a treat. Otherwise, wait till DVD/Blu Ray. Oh, and please see it in 2D, 3D is not worth the extra cost for this. Expand
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    I'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie from start to finish, i'm happy they took some risks with the story and did things differently so it's not like another reboot where u know everything, itI'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie from start to finish, i'm happy they took some risks with the story and did things differently so it's not like another reboot where u know everything, it was done in a fresh way where even if u know the superman story from front to back u could still feel this was a fresh unfamiliar take on the story, as a big superman fan i've been waiting over thirty years to see superman punch someone in a movie, the action was second to none... if ur a superman fan u owe it to yourself to see this marvel. Expand
  95. Jun 27, 2013
    This is a popcorn flick. That's what I was thinking mid-way through the movie.
    This is a popcorn flick. That's what I was thinking mid-way through the movie.
    After seeing the first trailer and having Christopher Nolan's named pasted on credits I was expecting the same kind of vibe from Christopher Nolan's Batman films, even though he's just handling production that's just the vibe I was getting from the trailer. Then reviews started making it's way to the internet. The more the reviews came out the more I was less excited about this movie.
    Going to the theatre with low expectations, then coming out after watching it, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie a lot, and I don't think it's unfair to say I wanted this movie to be deeper emotionally, because it did have some potential to be that just by watching some of the scenes. It didn't have to be the same dark themed level as batman(Christopher Nolan films) but it could've still been a pretty dark film.

Pros
    . Visually very beautiful. From watching superman's cape slither smoothly around the ice, to General Zod tearing places up.
    . The first 20-30 min? Seeing the world of Krypton and watching it get destroyed was really interesting. I've never seen a super man movie start out like this, usually it would be the first 5 min of krypton, then you'd see Kal grow up on the farm.
    . Flashbacks of Kal growing up, trying to understand his purpose, struggling to fit in was something to expect but still done well with some very emotional scenes.
    . General Zod. Interesting character, and great acting by Michael Shannon.
    . ACTION, ACTION, ACTION! Man there were some really great action scenes, if there's something to look forward to in this movie it's the action.

Cons

. Poor character development. Lois Lane? C'mon.
    . A lot of the scenes felt very rushed, especially when it was progressing towards the "Super man" reveal.
    . There were moments where it had some great potential to be very dark and emotional but they squander it with some unnecessary comedy scenes.
    . I liked the action a lot but I felt if they cut down some of the action scenes that were taking more than half the movie to bring life to some of these characters (Kal) then I think I might have enjoyed it more.

So yes overall I enjoyed it a lot, but like I said it had some great potential that was shut off for a lot of explosive action and some mindless comedy scenes. Still, I'm actually really excited for the next Super man film.
  96. Jun 22, 2013
    Giving a solid origin story and fitting actor, "Man of Steel" takes its well known character and humanizes him, and, in the process, establishes a true hero.
  97. Jun 23, 2014
    I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movieI couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
  98. Jun 21, 2013
    This ain't yo daddy's Superman. Badass. Now to address the hate.

This ain't yo daddy's Superman. Badass. Now to address the hate.

This film is being torn down by people saying it's both technically terrible, and a disservice to the character. I've got news for ya: f**k Sam Raimi. Y'all want Spiderman with bright colours and comic panels come to life. If you want that, there's Superman Returns, and it was awful. Like every Superman movie except the first one, and even that has aged horribly. Go watch the Marvel movies. DC have gotten the two filmmakers who redefined the tonal spectrum of the superhero working TOGETHER. I'm sick of live action cartoons this is a film.
  99. Jun 16, 2013
    I was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going onI was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going on but you see epic moments. There is a couple of problems. First it needed to be longer in order to have General Zod in it because it to good of a enemy to be used in the first film. He needed to be included in the second film when Superman is already known and is the guardian on Earth. But this is not the reason to not see the movie. I loved it and I think it i the best Superman movie ever. Expand
  100. Jun 14, 2013
    "Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is wishy-washy at best, preferring to just ignore facts than to take the time to explain them, and Superman's motivations are never truly clear, which"Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is wishy-washy at best, preferring to just ignore facts than to take the time to explain them, and Superman's motivations are never truly clear, which makes the entire character feel fake. Beyond that, though, Superman's role in the plot is almost nonexistent: one could take him out of the movie and have the exact same plot with better pacing. Don't waste your money on this one: it's not worth it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.