7.6

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Critics are being too harsh on this film, but the more i think about it, the more I understand why. Unlike other recent hero films, this isn't the first film adaptation for the character, thus the general pop has differing views on how the character should be portrayed. I can understand that the alien focus on Superman can be jarring. Overall it's an above average, pretty good origin film. While It gets a bit overboard in the third act, I occasionally wished for more Clark Kent flashbacks, and the pacing is a tad iffy throughout the film, overall it's highly entertaining, and has that fantastic visual flair that only Zack Snyder can produce. The cast does a fantastic job, particularly Amy Adams who has no issue portraying the feisty-ness of Lois Lane, yet also showing a tender side we haven't seen since Margot Kidder 7/10
    One final thought on the mixed critical reception *yet positive reaction from the general public*

Of course opinions differ from person to person but it's becoming blatantly obvious which critics wear blinders for their favorite directors and how biased film critics have become.
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think it's the worst Superman movie so far, but it certainly was the most disapointing. Maybe a real hardcore comic book nerd might rejoice in the details (origins and technical jargon) but I thought it went WAY overboard. Chris Nolan is a genius. If anyone could've breathed life back into this tired franchise, it would be him. He failed (at least in my opinion and by the low critic ratings.) So, it begs the question--Is this comic book character on his way out? My only saving hope is the fact that The Dark Knight was far and away a much better movie than Batman begins. However, Batman begins was a really good movie. The Man of Steel was not! I'm rooting for the next one to be good. Perhaps, they should stop promoting and teasing these flicks a year prior to releasing them. It would not have made this a better movie, but at the very least we might not feel such a strong sense of deceipt. I know the promos for The Dark knight began long before it's premeire date, but I was unaware of the movie until I saw the trailer when I went to see the first installment of Ironman. When I went back to the theatre about a month later, I had fairly modest expectations and was Blown Away by the greatest comic book movie ever. Of course you can't replicate the success of the Dark Knight just by limiting the exposure, but I think some lower expectations would work wonders! There were many things wrong with the Man of Steel. It was a bit scattershot, trying to tell an origins story and everything else all at once. For what it's worth, I found the psychogy of the young Clark Kent to be somewhat fascinating at times, and would have liked to have seen more of that. I don't like the fact that perhaps the most physically imposing villian of the franchise was trotted out in the first film (and there will BE another film!) Lex Luther is a criminal mastermind, but not super human. Come to think of it that may be the achilles heal of all superman movies. This character only has one weakness and it SHOULD be more difficult to come by. He could easily defeat any other super hero on the planet. So throwing out his only Kryptonian enemy in the first film may have been premature. I can't help but think their may have been a better way to execute it, but it's useless now since the fight is over and (SPOILER ALERT!!!)...Superman won! As I said before Chris Nolan is a genius. Despite this flop, there's still no one I'd rather see directing these movies. I will be rooting for him to have lightning struck twice in his 2nd effort. Well, That is if he is in fact the one directing it! Expand
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    I went to go see Man of Steel with no expectation, mainly because of the last Superman movie. As hard as i tried to like Man of Steel, I just couldn't. There were some enjoyable parts of the movie, but overall, it wasn't worth the price of admission.

The Good:

The Casting- I thought that the actors that they chose to play the parts were perfect. Especially superman, Henery Cavill fit
    the role of superman very well. I thought Amy Adams and Michael Shannon were well placed as well. Including others

FX- I thought the special effects were well done as well. They weren't spectacular, but the were good. Especially the fighting scenes. I really felt the power behind the punches. I thought they did that well. They flying scenes were pretty enjoyable too.

The Bad:

Script- Corning and uninteresting. It was hard to care about what was happening because first off there didn't seem to be any basis on why anything was happening in the movie. This was my biggest negative point in the whole movie. It was hard to get into because i didn't make the connection as to what is going on and why, and i think that is the scripts fault. Maybe there is back story in the comics, but i don't read those, so i have nothing to go off of. And there were several lines said in the movie that were like, really, you couldn't have thought of something better to say. The script wasn't all bad. There were moments in the story were I was engaged, but that didn't last long.

Pacing- I felt like this movie was all over the place. Especially the fighting scenes. They were cool at first but the intensity slow faded, and i felt that nothing new was really offered to make any new encounter different. Another problem was the main spectacular fights happened at the middle of the movie making the final fight scene more of an annoyance then something i actually wanted to watch.

In conclusion, this movie wasn't terrible, don't get me wrong. It just isn't the crazy awesome movie people are saying it is. It was mediocre at best. It did somethings right, but many wrong. I would recommend this movie as a RENTAL, just to experience the good moments of the movie, but do not waste the money to see it or buy it when it comes to DVD.
  4. Jul 23, 2013
    As a kid I was always more of a fan of Marvel comics, but Man of Steel is my favortite superhero movie outside of the Dark Knight trilogy. Superman gets a dose of humanity here without getting cheesy or relying on jokey bumbling. Action is pretty satisfying, rebuilding all those destroyed buildings should help revive the struggling construction sector.
  5. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, Man Of Steel does for Superman what Batman Begins did for Batman.
    We're given our hero at the early stages of his career and we see grow and shape into what we believe the character to currently be. The film handles Superman's upbringing very well, but also at the same time setting up the final conflict of Earth's invasion.

Also, the special effects are spectacular. It captures the essence of any Superman comic from my childhood! It just felt great to see two of my favorite characters face off in such a grandiose fashion.

To sum it up, Man Of Steel is the perfect start to a new line of promising Superman films. I hope we see something even better come next.
  6. Jul 22, 2013
    This movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. Everyone conversation to him is 'what it means to be a hero' or 'your purpose in life with these powers'. There is no real dialogue. The story does the Batman Begins approach having flashbacks to parts of his life, giving insight on the character's past and doing the beginnings of him becoming the hero. It doesn't do as well and while some flashbacks are well done, most become rather boring.

The special effects and a few good action scenes before it becomes too much are the only things that hold this movie up. This movie fails to reach to the true potential of what it promised and what it could have been.
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    A movie filled with repetitive action which got boring very quickly. The first hour was good as we saw a gradual build in Clark's character as well as flashbacks but once the action starts it does not cease and kept me looking at my watch and relieved once the film was over. Russell Crowe and Kevin Kosnier are great as well as Diane Lane but no one else really stood out to me.

Hopefully
    the sequel can bring someone a bit new and refreshing. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. overall the movie movie was good but it had its problems. for starters the film does not feel like a superman film more an alien invasion type movie i don't recall anyone even calling him superman beyond a soldier towards the end of the film. The movie is a serious film which is not a problem for me. I liked seeing Clark background story from earth it helped make his seem more human and gave him a reason to defend earth. the main villain in the film general Zod is under used. most of the fight scenes in the film are done by his troops until the very end of the film where at the end of his relatively short fight Clark just breaks his neck and its over in a second it was a bit underwhelming after all that he just snaps his neck. The acting all round is good Henry Cavill is a great superman Michael Shannon while not being as good as Benedict Cumberbatch in star trek is still one of the best villeins this year. All in all this is a good film not that strong a superman film but good none the less Expand
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    Didn't think too much of Superman Returns so I didn't have high hopes for this, but wow I was pleasantly surprised It was a great movie with plenty to keep you interested! A nice selection of actors who were spot on with their roles, and a great revamp of the Superman tale that has been told many times before. I'm keen to get onto titles like Smallville now because I enjoyed this so much! The final few scenes in particular really stand out but overall a great film highly recommend it! Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2013
    just boring, cheesy and monotone. henry cavill is just annoying -sonny boy...no edges....certainly no super-hero! music won`t stop during the entire film, it´s totally packed and you feel nothing else than relieved when it's over! booo!
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    I'll just make it simple and mention good and bad aspects of the movie, in my opinion.
    GOOD THINGS: The story is great, you won't be bored; The visual effects are amazing; There are tons of epicness; The characters are very good, not only Superman will catch your attention; The happenings are well explained; There's lots of action; The movie is very well-balanced between innovation and
    those Superman clichés we all like; The climax is amazing.
    BAD THINGS: the movie is 100 minutes of begining and goes too quickly to 40 minutes of climax and ending; There are no big turnovers, which some people would expect from a movie Christopher Nolan is part of; The characters are good but none is fascinating. That's just the opinion of a fan. If you value epicness and action, it will be an amazing movie. If you want a suspenseful story, you'll rate it 'just regular'.
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    The most heavy handed piece of self righteous dribble I've ever seen, with sloppily directed action scenes, appalling dialogue and constant "Jesus" poses makes this film the worst film I've seen in years. It's the closest I've ever come to walking out of a movie.
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    I will admit that the special effects are nice, ut overall the plot and dialogue is mess. The characters are made out of wood, and just boring action scenes. This movie was made for trailers not an actual cohesive movie.
  14. Jul 19, 2013
    this producer is making art with hero movies i really love what hes doing with this is a way better because he changes what you thought u knew and makes it more magical with hes work.
  15. Jul 19, 2013
    es una muy mala pelicula, ni buenas actuaciones, excesivamente larga, tediosa. Las escenas de accion están muy largas y el actor no es ni la mitad del Superman que fue el anterior.
  16. Jul 19, 2013
    Great special effects, some decent fighting scenes, shaky plot and writing (imo) and good acting. I did find it interesting to see a more "real" feeling put in for superman. The movie focuses a lot on Clark Kent's identity crisis as well as his struggles to find purpose in his life. I never really got invested in it though the opening scene wasn't done very well and it didn't really draw me in. Add to that some questionable moments written to make the plot work better that detracted from my experience and this is simply an okay movie, instead of a good one. Marvel is still top dog in terms of superhero movies so far, sorry DC Comics. Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2013
    Zack Snyder's dark take in Man of Steel, a la Christopher Nolan's Gotham, really worked in my opinion. I've always felt that Superman had one of the more tragic of backgrounds and the more uplifting and happier stories never felt genuine. Richard Roeper's criticism that "There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story" or Rafer Guzman's criticism that "this reboot skimps on fun and romance" shows just how many critics missed the point. This isn't a kid's story, period! Leave all of those childish and whimsical expectations at home. In my opinion, this grittier version really hit home and took the drama and intensity to whole new levels. While it failed to deliver on the level of the some of the Avengers: Phase One films and definitely wasn't on the level with any of the movies from the Dark Knight Trilogy, it was still a great movie. The acting was really good, especially from Amy Adams in her supporting role. She managed to turn a character without a lot of development into one with a surprising amount of depth and believability. And Henry Cavill was great as Superman/Kal-El, probably my favorite yet. The supporting roles by Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and so on were all also fantastic. I don't think I can remember a movie where all of the supporting roles were played by people more famous than the protagonist but that was the case here and it worked because of Cavill's performance and how the movie was laid out. The action sequences were great, as was to be expected, and the way the plot developed was not annoying as most critics claimed. Many felt like the constant back-and-forth hurt the film's progression but I actually quite liked it. It kept the two and a half hour movie from dragging and felt fresh. The one flaw that I felt actually took a bit away from the movie, however, was the shaky-camera cinematic effect. I'm sorry but this isn't a world where the audience is going to feel the "we're there" and in the actual scene itself. All that did was make you wish it wasn't there. Overall though, this was a great movie and while I've never been a big fan of the Superman lore, if you can remove bias and suspend quite a bit of disbelief I think most would really enjoy it. Expand
  18. Jul 18, 2013
    There is a saying that could summarize this film and "no haste makes perfect", but this film has many attributes to reconsider whether, first the bad points, the script may have been written well, but the film is too rushed in the beginning as it bombards the audience with action and lots of information (for some it may be necessary to see the movie twice to Understand all) and very slow at the end (perhaps a ncessidade to face with the Avengers), but that's it, good points, the direction of Snyder was one of the best things with their cameras capturing different angles average everywhere this technique extremely good, the cast too, with performances by weight as Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner, but it's good to know that Henry Cavil did their role well (though sometimes it may seem too optimistic) and rest also does their role well. Expand
  19. Jul 18, 2013
    Man of Steel proves that Superman is only interesting when he has a decent adversary. Although the final act may be too reminiscent of Avengers Assemble, Man of Steel is well made and well played, especially by Crowe and Costner as the fathers. Too long, perhaps, but the movement between past and present generally work. Overall, much better than expected and reported. So long as Lex Luthor isn't the only villain in the sequel, the franchise may have a positive future. Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    Never in my life have I seen something so amazing and epic like this on the big screen! This was just monumental when it comes to how grand of a spectacle it was. Not to mention the best comic book movie ever filmed.... Thanks again Zack Snyder!
  21. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing the trailer, i have prepared my self for a movie full of only drama, I've never been so wrong, and I've never been at the edge of my seat, the way i was in the theater. From start to end, Man of Steel was action packed, and still succeeded in telling the story of how the Man of Steel became the super hero icon that we know and love. Having said that, the action scenes tends to get a bit too much, to the point where i felt that i lost focus on some of the fight scenes. This movie is nothing short from epic, and i would recommend any one who is a fan of comic book heroes to watch it ASAP. Expand
  22. Jul 16, 2013
    55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I understand drama and art-house lovers may find this movie offending for their sensitive feelings, but I believe they are just a minority from crowd. Definitely worth wachig. I also reccomend critics to rethink their marks. Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2013
    Overblown with tons of action-packed sequences, "Man of Steel" is able to slightly exceed its lack of humor and much joy in the film. While the film does feel hectic at times, the high flying spectacles and exhilarating action are interesting enough to exceed some faults.
  24. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie surprised me a lot. I think this is the best adaptation of Superman. Great actors, specially Antje Traue and Henry Cavill, amazing action and visual effects, great story and the MOST SPECTACULAR SOUNDTRACK EVER MADE. I really loved this movie and I have great expectations for the second one.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    The movie we all have been waiting for. It's just incredible and much better when you see it twice. Amazing action, spectacular visual effects, tremendous acting, powerful soundtrack and well composed story. I must say that Antje Traue was one of my favourite and Henry Cavill is, by far, the best Superman after Christopher Reeve. 10/10
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until the action started that i felt a little comfortable. This movie did something I never thought possible: It made me dislike a superhero. Thanks a lot Zach Snyder. The whole emotional superhero thing worked for The Dark Knight Rises but only because Nolan was in charge and because Batman had been introduced to us earlier. In one word, let me summarize this movie: I only give it a 5 because the action was good and the back-story was nice as well. The execution- BLEH! Expand
  27. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is certainly entertaining but it's actions sequences are so long that it begins to become boring. Honestly my criticism of this film can be summed up to the fact that it takes itself far to seriously.
  28. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally I thought this movie was going to be terrible, but every part of the movie seemed meticulous. I wanted a Superman movie that didn't cover his origin story but here it doesn't feel like an origin story because it takes place during the same day. What made me angry was everytime superman got tinto a fought he destroyed a lot of buildings and it took away the fact that he is a vigilante. Also it feels that superman evolves as a fighter which makes you way more invested into the character of superman. Expand
  29. Jul 15, 2013
    LAME
    i expected more. superman is supposed to be SUPER! this movie makes him look like a second rate copy cat whatever super hero he is. the scenes in the movie aren't that clean also.

the lamest movie ever
  30. Jul 15, 2013
    Man Of Steel Is visually nice the scenario is ok not over the top but it's ok the script was the messy point for me i laughed my ass off sometime some battle or extremely long for no reason

Cool movie to watch but aint that good
  31. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
  32. Jul 14, 2013
    I have come to expect more from Christopher Nolan's projects. Even ones he doesn't direct. The film is beautiful, it's sprawling, it's epic, it's personal but at a certain point it's just more Superman and I'm not sure that makes it better.
  33. Jul 14, 2013
    It was a great movie. It was greatly directed and the visules were stunning. I never thought any super hero movie would top the dark knight... and even if man of steel might not have to some people it sure came close
  34. Jul 14, 2013
    I really looked forward to the movie especially when I saw Christopher Nolan was involved. The big problem for me is the big time lapses that occur in the film. It almost felt that they had this great story to tell us but the film would have been too long so they deleted a few scenes which left a few holes for me. I really enjoyed the filming techniques the used especially in the flight scenes. Overall it was an enjoyable film. Just expected a bit more. Enjoyed the childhood scenes and felt Kevin Costner did an outstanding job in the portrayal of Clarke's dad. Expand
  35. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply put, best Superman movie ever made, period.
    Finally some action, we all know the back story, this movie gives it a good twist. Seen it twice, worth every cent.
  36. Jul 13, 2013
    I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'm not too surprised after seeing what Snyder did with, or is that to Watchmen. Lately the best examples of superhero movies have been X-men and The Avengers. What a pity Man of Steel doesn't deliver on that kind of fun. Expand
  37. Jul 12, 2013
    All the mythical universe is here, updated and with all respect the character deserves. Good cast, great direction and even emotional moments made this the best movie of 2013 so far.
  38. Jul 12, 2013
    First off, I read all the bad reviews, that lowered my expectations a lot, then I had a Superman marathon watching all the old ones and then I went to see Man of Steel, and the only thing I can say after seeing it is; Superman really needed a good solid reboot and I think this is the best Superman movie ever!
  39. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie we've been waiting for! As someone that has seen the past Superman films, this film is for the new generation! But, as some told me. "This is not grandfather's Superman!" This movie the beginning of the DC cinematic universe, and it has a great plot and has humor! What I have at the cinema's is that all generations are embracing this just like they did with Batman in 2005 with Batman Begins! Now it's time for Superman to get his moment in the sun! Go see this movie! Expand
  40. Jul 11, 2013
    What a bore! Overblown, soulless, unimaginative, uninteresting, dull, dull, dull. You would be more entertained if you watched a couple of the Dean Cain Superman tv series. I couldn't make it to the end, and I was not he first to walk out of this movie tonight. Really, don't waste your time.
  41. Jul 11, 2013
    This movie was good...about 10% of the time. The plot was confusing and jumbled, the characters were pretty dumb and most of them had 2 second screen time and had no meaning to the story of Superman at all, the acting was too overexaggerated and most of all, the movie was so boring that I would've enjoyed the Lone Ranger a lot more!
  42. Jul 11, 2013
    this is the single worst thing I have ever seen in the theater. It's nothing but a bunch of noise and smashing around for at least half of the movie; the other half was incredibly slow; The two best acting jobs in it are Russell Crow and Kevin Costner; there's pretty munch no meaningful dialogue what-so-ever and none of the characters give you any reason to care about them. The best thing to do is wait until it comes out on video, then wait a little longer for it to air on TV, then change the channel and watch something else. Expand
  43. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great return for Superman. Great in many aspects and particularly in the beginning half where the back-story is explained.

Acting here is good in some parts, bad in others. Everyone except Lois Lane was fine considering this is an interpretation of superman, not a translation. What I thought was unbelievable is Lois Lane and Superman falling for each other. A crush is
    plausible but Superman is here, there and everywhere. So how can a crush turn into love when he's hardly around Lois to develop anything? Story is also quite good except, again, Lois Lane appearing and going to places she'd never get near. The emotional content around what happens to Krypton is very, very good.

A superhero movie that focuses on emotion, story, spectacle, and enjoyment is what I wanted out of this. It delivers.
  44. Jul 11, 2013
    Overall this so called "blockbuster movie" is a pretty big waste of your money. Id wait until it comes out for rental and get it then.
    Wasn't impressed at all.
  45. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the better superman movie. don't go by metascore go watch it by yourself. Superman has always been powerful but in this movie you really feel it. This may not be acurate to the comic book superman which could be reason for low metascore.
  46. Jul 10, 2013
    I had doubts for Man of Steel since Superman IV was um, extreme crap. But once again I was proved wrong. Man of Steel is bulked with action and mastered its purpose, kudos to you Zack.
  47. Jul 10, 2013
    I had low expectations from this movie, since the last one was pretty lame. Well, i really liked it, a lot. For sure it was COMPLETELY different from Superman 1, with Christopher Reeve. There is just something about that first movie that this new one did not have, a little more passion, feelings. What i mean is that this new movie DID NOT give me any goose bumps during the movie whatsoever. And that is a very bad thing. One thing that killed it for me is that the superman song is not in it. After the movie ended i was like: "What the hell???" What happened to the superman song, the super hero song??? From what i recall, THAT is what gave me goose bumps in superman 1 as soon as the song began playing for the first time, you know, when superman begins to fly? Heck, even now after decades when i watch Christopher Reeve's first superman I still gives me goose bumps. I think the music in the man of steel was not so good, music during a movie matters SOOO MUCH! Very disappointing for me!

Other than that, the fights were awesome, the effects were nice, the cast i liked a lot. Another thing i liked about this movie is that Henry Cavill is more muscular, definitely helps a super hero look. I did thought that his hair was too long, again, compared to Christopher Reeve's superman look. I also liked this movie because i felt as if i was watching the original superman 1 and 2, "combined". Awesome! What i did not like is the end, the way superman kills general zod, and again, the MUSIC had not too much impact in me. They HAVE to correct this in the next movie for sure.

Over all i really liked the movie, but i think i still like the more recent Star Trek and bat man movies more.

One of the reasons why i LOVE the new Star Trek movies is because they started playing the original song, an awesome and classic song. Some things should just NOT be changed.
  48. Jul 10, 2013
    Yawn... A typical graphics driven action flick, short on story. The fight sequences were far too long and contradictory. One moment someone is being crushed with a freight train, yet is easily choked out the next. I didn't hate it but it never made me care.
  49. Jul 10, 2013
    I was hesitant to go see this, as I was so very disappointed in the last effort to reboot the Superman story. But, I decided to just give it a chance and glad that I did. I took my two daughters (18 and 22) and we ladies enjoyed what most probably think is a "guy" movie. Aside from what I felt was an overly long fight between Zod and Kal-El, Man of Steel is well done. Acting, cinematography, music (score), and costumes are top-notch. Great entertainment! Expand
  50. Jul 10, 2013
    'Man of Meh' in my opinion. Movie did not inspire much emotion to be honest, it feels like they took the recipe book for 'making a good comic type movie' ticked all boxes then moved on. The special affects were great as well as the sound, even though it was extremely loud at times. Overall the movie left me wanting some kind of connection with the character. It really does leave me thinking should there even be another one? To be honest I don't care either way. Expand
  51. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As it seems superman is not a character loved by the world, but the world has to love this one
    cause it is entirely a different theme now. For people complaining about "the same story" well
    it cannot change would you change the story of Mahatma Gandhi......
    No of course not because it will make it a fake.
    For those who speak of too much demolition have you ever questioned the hulk?
    it is Superman we are talking about what would expect from him, plucking flowers and throwing them at
    general Zod.
    well if anyone can tell a better story go ahead forge a real man of steel is all I would say.....
  52. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was absolutely awesome. Some say it was to "dark" for a superman movie, I disagree. It was realistic. Lots of destruction, (even a building going down, which in post 9/11 is ballsy, glad they did it though) but what do you think would happen if two super being fought in an urban landscape? One thing I had a bit of an issue with, Superman does something superman would never do, but I'm ok with that. Henry Cavill was the best superman yet (He WAS SUPERMAN!!), wouldn't say he was the best clark kent I think Chistopher Reeve did the best playing clark, and was an awesome superman as well), but Caville was just a beast. nice to see a superman movie without the same old premise, by that I mean no kryptonite the entire movie!! I liked the last superman made, superman returns I believe, and thought the story line was good with him having a son, didn't like the ending in that one. This one obviously has no ties to that movie. This movie was slam, bam, destruction and action most of the movie. This superman reminded me somewhat of just all the destruction, he wasn't boozed up or anything like that. Anyway go see it if you haven't already!!! Expand
  53. Jul 9, 2013
    I do not agree with the critics, a film based on a super heroes like batman or superman this check for an audience that child lived with these heroes to siferencia of lasanteriores marvel movies where this child together very public with current this film gives us a nice moment of entertainment and pays the debt he had with us in the previous movie superman
  54. Jul 9, 2013
    Most people loathed Superman Returns, I didn't, I loved its symbolism and its attempt to carry on the Richard Donner universe despite its lack of fun loving heroics that made the originals so enjoyable. So I have to say Man of Steel had something to prove. The film tells the story of what happens when far away planet Krypton starts dying and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son Kal-El (Henry Cavill) to Earth so he may live. When he arrives he is raised in secret by Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane) and learns to become a hero people can believe in as reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams) gets closer to uncovering the truth behind this mysterious hero's true identity. The feeling I had when I left the cinema was one of disappointment sure but not for the reasons I expected. I expected an emotionless sequence of beautifully framed rubbish, what I got was so much more than that. Man of Steel is excellent science fiction, its smart, its beautifully realized and it shows a part of Superman's mythology that has never really been touched upon by the films. It's a good 30 minutes before we are introduced to the titular hero as we see the collapse of Krypton and how their society broke down enough for Jor-El to send Kal to Earth in the first place. The rest of the film is a pretty conventional origins story but unlike Zach Snyder's previous films Watchmen and Sucker Punch, Man of Steel has an understanding of its characters and the emotions that drive them and brings out some excellent performances in Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Michael Shannon as fellow Kryptonian and lead villain General Zod. The film looks brilliant, it tells a captivating story and it has well thought out characters except for Adams' Lois Lane who pales in comparison to Margot Kidder's interpretation of the woman (although Adams is better than Kate Bosworth's version of the character but that's not hard as a reasonably well trained dog could play her better than Bosworth did.) The main downside however is not an acting problem its the films ending, not for the surprise twist I imagine a lot of people are talking about but because that final hour is just a long sequence of destruction that could be 20 minutes shorted and would still bore me to death. The action looks good and in sections of the film when there is actual story its good to see it accompany the story but the end of the film lacks any real reason for this ridiculous over the top violence and the story is nowhere as strong as it is in the first hour and a half. In fact that was my main qualm, the fact that the first hour and a half, the tale of how Clark Kent becomes Superman is almost perfect Sci-Fi and it is almost ruined by a blockbuster ending, a conclusion based on what other blockbuster superheroes have done recently and not what this character should do, something Snyder should have picked up on but unfortunately didn't. Expand
  55. Jul 8, 2013
    Finally a fantastic superman movie. Good story, great actors, crazy visual fx and action scenes. I knew that Snyder plus Nolan people could not go bad. They really know how to make the things deal together. Can't wait for the number 2.
  56. Jul 8, 2013
    What a disappointment, this film had such potential. Why is it the trailer contained all the beauty and humanity (and none of the inane action that the film did?) I should have known. There's a reason I don't see action movies (especially comic book ones) any more (I think the last one I saw was the first Iron Man). Story and great character development sacrificed to show us special effect CG characters hitting and banging and crushing and so on. I mean, how many buildings do we have to see Superman and his enemies get thrown through? The action sequences are what ruins this movie hands down. And WHO decided a shaky, vomit-inducing hand held camera was the best choice for the earth family human sequences? Will we ever turn back? Oh wait..."Pacific Rim" is just around the corner. Yeah, let's rush out to get in line... Expand
  57. Jul 7, 2013
    Superman is the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' of comic book characters. An extremely well designed, and well loved, object of intellectual property who ultimately isn't in many well done things. This movie is a pure example of this the character style is awesome, the art style is ok, and the plot is adequate at best. The current aggregate score of 55 is absolutely appropriate this is the Sizzlers of comic book blockbusters. Expand
  58. Jul 7, 2013
    I felt that they built this movie up too much to really enjoy thoroughly. It felt like they were trying to use the Dark Knight Trilogy's style but it didn't work for this movie. The story flashbacks were too short and happens every so often. The new superman: Henry Cavill, makes it better than Brandon Routh did that is for sure. It is too long of a film to really pay attention too, for it's quality. I will still see the sequel if they make one which they probably will. Expand
  59. Jul 7, 2013
    This was a movie I wanted to like, and the acting, story, and special effects were all good. That being said, it was missing something I assumed would be a given for a superhero film, that feel good feeling you get when the hero wins. I'm not sure if it was the script, or the editing, but I found myself not caring if Superman would win (and it felt like he didn't care either). Lois was in only because she needs to be but didn't add the film. Overall I am glad I seen it, and you may love it, but it could should have been better. Expand
  60. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded. MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium. If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The Amazing Spiderman? Avengers?....and you do not want your intelligence get offended cause the director was retarded.....Watch Man of Steel. If you want an action movie that the starring hero/ superhero, is not some half-way comedian punk that his powers some times are ON some times are OFF Watch Man of Steel.

If you want to see a superhero actually using his brain... Watch Man of Steel.

If you want a superhero movie that isn't made for making 16year old girs getting in love with the starring actor........Watch Man of Steel.

Last but not least, so far and if my memory serves well (apart from Nolan's Batman) Its the only Superhero movie that actually explains every single detail.

This is a dark, epic, serious, well made action superhero movie.
    Its not supposed to be funny, nor romantic, nor for kids.
  61. Jul 7, 2013
    What a great movie!!! Henry Cavill plays the best Superman ever, he has the look, the demeanor, the right attitude and emotion. He conveys the emotional turmoil of Superman's actions with stunning effect. The action is beyond top-shelf and care was taken to provide a "realistic" portrayal of Kryptonian strength. When Superman punches an enemy, he does not just fall down, or get knocked into a car and leave a dented door. He is sent through three buildings and a concrete parking garage. If Superman falls into a mountain, he doesn't just make a small crater, he takes the mountaintop off. The true strength and power of Superman is finally done justice and portrayed as it always should have been.

The character is re-imagined and remade to bear more relevance to today than 1940. Superman is feared by the military, just like a real-life alien would be. Krypton is not portrayed as a lifeless chunk of ice, but as a living, breathing world meeting its end.

Special effects are dazzling. You can feel every impact, even almost experience the sensation of flight (seen in the NYC IMAX theater with a screen 8 stories tall). Like his strength, his speed is portrayed accurately and effectively. You can tell Superman can fly at nearly the speed of light by just observing the convincing special effects.

Some may say the ending is controversial, but anyone that really knows Superman will know that it is not. His actions at the end are consistent with his comic book history and even actions he had taken in prior films.

Not only one of the best super hero movies ever made (only the Dark Knight trilogy ranks on par), but one of the best movies ever made. Period.
  62. Jul 7, 2013
    Man of steel is a phenomenal composition. The critics are bitter and always appreciate drama and nothing more. Zack Snyder had a phenomenal vision. He did his very best to create a new superman for the up and coming generation. It was perfect to see Superman in a different suit and more clean looking.
  63. Jul 7, 2013
    For a film that included non-stop building destruction and overblown fit-for-children violence, Man of Steel not only manages to be uninteresting and dull, but partly laughable in stages.

An unholy amount of back story and flashes drags the first half beyond reason, and the outrageous amount of fist fights between immortals and half of America's army in the second only further points
    the movie toward tedium. The scale and enormity of the violence is laughably trivial, that I had to wonder if I was watching the blockbuster version of Dragon Ball Z, where the violence never ends due to the borderline immortal characters.

Except, a film must end. And ignoring the awful cast and characterization When a German actress playing a side role outdoes everyone else, you have a problem the final scene of action is so hilariously trite. Despite causing Billions of dollars worth of damage and no doubt killing thousands in the process, they tag a moral scene on at the end for Superman Yes, that is your name, despite the film's idea of subtlety which is not only irrelevant, but insulting.
  64. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel features a darker and more realistic version of Superman. The story also tells full version of Superman and successfully answer all it's questions. Even it's excessive using of flashback may make some of the viewers uncomfortable and bored in watching this film. Expand
  65. Jul 7, 2013
    My most anticipated summer blockbuster of 2013, from the mastermind of 300 (2006, 7/10) and WATCHMEN (2009, 7/10), the reboot of the most popular superhero has undergone a series of choppy fluctuations since the underperformance of Bryan Singer’s SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006, 7/10), so an IMAX plus 3D version for me is a prerequisite to watch.

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an
    up-to-par epic bandwagon superbly grafts the invincible Kryptonian alien under the context of a xenophobic earth milieu, a human environment-nurtured extraterrestrial identity chooses to combat against his own race to save the cynical earthlings.

The film majestically branches out a unique palette of indigo and gray, a post-apocalypse solemness which is unlike most of its superfluous comic-derived peers (producer Christopher Nolan’s sway may be a plausible influence), and a hefty impetus of Clark Kent’s poignant relation with his human parents perpetually spurs the film to imprint its most eloquent fingerprints onto the heart of its recipients, a far better fulfillment than the parents-bereaved spidey (both Costner and Lane are heartwarming and sagacious in it).

Crowe and Zurer as Superman’s biological parents, both are throwaway in the overture of Krypton’s demise, the former then resurrects himself as a bewildering wraith inside the flying vehicle, sabotages General Zod’s scheme. Against the ageism, Adams offers brilliant ballast as the mettlesome journalist Lois Lane, a paragon of the benevolence from human part, the mutual attraction between her and Kent is ignited, but markedly Snyder saves the best for the sequel. Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni, one is the ferocious sidekick of Zod, another is a human general fights till his self-sacrifice heroic act, brings out an intensive beast-and-prey pattern of diversion which is a rare treat for side players in mainstream cinema. Michael Shannon as General Zod, a bona-fide super-villain counteracts Superman’s almighty indestructibility, his human-eradication theory surpasses any comic fecklessness, and the gravity-reconstruction concept really put the entire planet hanging on a thread (I always redeem a sudden depletion of gravity is the way to our doomsday), Shannon is incredible to magnify his militant loyalty and the genocide-prone mercilessness whilst viewers would eventually be touched by the former, such a transcending feat to accomplish out of a fixated mold. Same can be stated to Henry Cavill’s Superman, he is a flawless messiah of our planet, and Cavill is the perfect Superman, both from his physique and his charisma (and finally the underwear goes underneath his uniform), his oscillation has never been shied away in the film, and it makes the final neck-breaking such an emotional disturbance
    both to him and to the viewers.

The CGI effects are another fusillade of leveling cities and blasting buildings after THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10), but an amazing stunt is this time it ad hoc showcases an uplifting process of Superman’s sway of his flying expertise. A recurrent blip of the genre is the willful negligence of the aftershock, 5 seconds later, everyone act like they are totally oblivious of the apocalyptic attack no matter how damaged the city is, the transference is unnaturally nettling, the least one can do is to take a few shots of people’s contemplation as survivors of such a catastrophe, or raise hope to shoot scenes of the restoration and a panorama of the mess is a must to deepen the seriousness of the matter.

Anyhow, MAN OF STEEL is a stylized orthodox superhero film which successfully recoups the fanboys and bolsters a stronghold for the series in its lucrative future projects, its mass appeal might lag behind Marvel’s SHIELDS coalition, but Superman’s adventure will be more audacious and reflective other than its entertaining face value.
  66. Jul 6, 2013
    First off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in the comics, but that is okay because this is 2013 (not 1933). I am tempted to write more but have decided that what I have already written should be sufficient. Enjoy! See it on the big screen! Expand
  67. Jul 6, 2013
    I may be impartial because I never have been much of a Superman fan, but compared to other Super Hero genre movies in the last decade I don't thing Man of Steel was all that great. I think they could have done a lot more with the movie. Also Superman is supposed to be a bright vibrant "Good Guy" and they mad him way too serious and made the movie kind of dark and gloomy, which fits with Batman, but not Superman. They made the same sort of mistake with Amazing Spider-man. Expand
  68. Jul 6, 2013
    OH YA!!! This one is way better than I thought.... (just another superman movie... more & an over used DC franchise)... I have to say that for two and a half hours I was frequently & pleasantly surprised... Superb acting, very good story line and just plain fun to watch... This DVD is going to purchased for my 3D TV...
  69. Jul 6, 2013
    The terrible hype machine has played to much into this movie for me. I watched the movie in 2d and thank god I did the shaky and mass debris really put me off the action in man of steel, the story was done differently than expected and has its up and downs some good some bad, i felt the story tried to do to much and cram in way more than it could chew and clearly can see some rushed parts if they spaced it out and kept in one story mode, basically its the original Christopher reeves movies 1 and 2 meshed up and it suffers from being crammed into one movie. The acting was solid and holds the movie together and the cast deserves praise especially Antje Traue who completely stole it for me, while it would make a great blu-ray movie I cannot say this was the rip roaring summer blockbuster it was meant to be and if they didn't fill so much in so little time it would of made a great superman movie however my biggest memory of this movie was the debris factor so much flew around i couldn't make out what was happening to whom and where and since superman is about action i felt quite disappointed in what should be its strongest sequences and scenes the biggest problem is reviewing what is most likely going to be a series of movies and the development of Louis and Superman or Clark Kent not alot was hit upon on its starting settings which will be built upon in its blatant sequels. This isn't a bad movie but it isn't the new awesome superman that seemed to be promised this isn't what the dark knight movies did for batman but its not to far off but if a definitive sequel is made it will have to surely deliver more or suffer the same fate as the transformers. Expand
  70. Jul 5, 2013
    What the film does well is set tone and deliver a story that is equally grounded, interesting, and enjoyable. Unfortunately, the film suffers from a number of technical shortcomings that may break the experience for some. After the film's opening sequence on Krypton, the Man of Steal focuses on Clark's journey to find a place in the only world he has ever known. To show the hardships that young Clark endured, flashbacks are used, generally showing different points in Clark's youth as he struggled to deal with his differences. The film then jumps back to adult Clark, as he wonders the United States, looking for some clue as to his origins and what his purpose in life may be. While both the past and present stories are interesting, the movie never stops to allow the audience time to really take in what is happening on screen. The scenes between young Clark and his Earth father are particularly endearing, but the audience is never really afforded time to absorb and appreciate the importance of their relationship. Instead, viewers are allowed a small sequence of dialogue, before they are jarred back in the present where adult Clark is in a completely different situation than he was the last time we saw him. In fact, the film plays leap frog over itself through half of the movie, trying to tell two stories at the cost of making both of them feel hollow.
    The second half of the movie is much more focused but highlights another major flaw in The Man of Steel: The action was disappointing. Some time in the production of the Man of Steel, Snyder and Co. decided that they needed action. Lots and LOTS of action. Bigger is better right? In this case, no. What starts off as over the top fighting, soon becomes a series of monotone action sequences lost in a white noise of fallen buildings and explosions. There came a point in the film's final battle where I became completely bored with the demi-gods that were battling on screen. Instead of fighting hand to hand, the Man of Steel's Superman (and its villains) generally just throw each other around. Usually through sky scrapers and chain restaurants. Seriously, if you watch it, count how many times somebody throws someone else through, into, or at a building. Though there is always a place for over the top action in the Super Hero genre, the inclusion of more technical hand-to-hand fighting (In addition to the 'splosions) would have broken up the action while making Superman seem like more of a fighter and less of a brutish brawler.
    So, action and story aside, who is the Man of Steel's Superman? To my surprise, he was surprisingly human. Though he is 100% good guy, Superman is not the virtuous boyscout you may know from other versions of the hero. TMOS presents a Superman that is man first and extraterrestrial super-hero second. He isn't completely sure of himself nor his actions. This leads to one of the most surprise (and controversial) endings to a Super Hero movie to date. Superman's ability to be fallible adds a texture to the character that is rarely seen and becomes easily one of the most enjoyable parts of the film.
    All in all, The Man of Steel is an Okay movie. It gets a lot of things right but never seems to overcome its glaring flaws. Superman has never been more relatable and perhaps with the origin out of the way, the next outing by Snyder and DC will be much more enjoyable.
  71. Jul 5, 2013
    the story is well written,the actors are great,the effect are awsome.but..........they made a little mass,this is how the movie progress:talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,action,action,action,action,action.a good movie whould mix talking with action.not do talking 80 minutes of the movie and 60 minutes only action with almost no talking.
    this movie could have been better but
    i still reccomend to go and see this movie becuase it is a good movie.well it better from the horrible superman returns.and they succeded doing a good reboot i am hoping for a sequel. Expand
  72. Jul 5, 2013
    Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
  73. Jul 5, 2013
    I loved Man of Steel. It lived up to my expectations. It gave me that same feeling I had watching Justice League on Cartoon Network. Felt real and was not made mostly for little kids in mind. I hope it continues with this tone.
  74. Jul 5, 2013
    Few people failed to appreciate that this is, by far, the best Superman movie. They can always be dissatisfied if they choose to instead of just enjoying and appreciating a film from its positive outlook versus the opposite. Opinions are drawn from either spectrum just like how one views a glass filled with water. I'm one of those who sees things half-filled instead of half-empty. This review will attempt to point out the commonest complaints from dissatisfied critics & disappointed moviegoers. Hope this would help:
    1.) The most common complaint was the "disaster porn", the total annihilation of the fictional city, Metropolis. We assume that with total destruction, there also were countless lives sacrificed, right? Not exactly. During Supe & Zod's battle, one will noticed that the city wasn't filled with everyday working people & that is because majority stayed home heeding government's warning due to the earnestness of the matter (about this newly revealed threat to mankind) ergo it's fair to conclude that the number of casualties was under control & not in direct ratio to the amount of property damage. Daily Planet's employees need to be there to cover the news.
    2.) The Flashbacks. Understandably, some people don't like this editing approach. They find it tedious & annoying. But for many of us, they didn't really bother that much. It was a good thing, being artfully done, that Zack Snyder & team made the conscious effort to veer away from Donner's SUPERMAN films. For a second there, we cringed in our seats from the expectation that we were gonna be treated with a John Williams-like fanfare of an introduction complete with title credits as baby Kal-El's spaceship hurtles down to earth. It was actually a refreshing change.
    3.) Flat, Bland & Humorless---There's no chemistry between Henry Cavill & Amy Adams. Critics doesn't have to look away from that seemingly "unromantic" kiss. Any damsel in distress who has fallen, not once but twice, from the sky (not building) & got saved by the same flying "knight in shining armor" would definitely fall for her hero & give him that deserving kiss. Lois wanted to the first time it happened but Superman, in urgency to get to his mother, left before she could. Now ladies, wouldn't you do the same thing & let opportunity pass the second time around? The result of the litmus paper test for the chemistry between Cavill's Clark & Adams's Lois could not be fairly assessed in this first installment but in the next one since their romance was not the emphasis of the storytellers here. The central subject was Clark's search for his real identity hence leading the filmmakers drawing a theme of seriousness by deliberately keeping the whole atmosphere seemingly under-wraps dark & humor-in-check mysterious to make certain this come across believable especially that it involves the enigmatic question, "Are we alone in the universe?" Adam's Lois Lane character as the investigative reporter becomes the viewers' cursor as we keep track with her how Cavill's turn as Clark Kent become the Man of Steel. Not following Donner's ta-da treatment, this sensible approach in introducing our hero was timely brilliant & worked well for Snyder.
    4.) Lame--Jonathan Kent's "Maybe" answer to Clark's argumentative query & why he can't show his power & save lives like he used to in the old comic books. This is Superman 2013 & it's about time to upgrade him to this era. If his costume gets an update, why not his origin story as well. right? A little modification won't do no harm as long as it's grounded on logic & not stray too far away from the lore. Jonathan Kent's throw-caution-to-the-wind answer was just parental banter. Smart audiences understood it very well. Though not verbally expressed, Kevin Costner's Pa Kent character would really rather have those kids saved than left to die. The situation has become uncontrollable signalling that it was high time for them to reveal who Clark really was--for him to receive a lesson on subtleties & the importance of staying under the radar. If one is blessed with superpowers, should one flaunt or hide them? To quote another superhero movie line, "With great power comes great responsibility", it is from this cautionary premise that Clark's adopted parents were torn for their juvenile. They knew for the fact that the present government will not hesitate to take this child away from them and for the fear that, in captivity, he would be treated less than being human.
    5.) Why Lois? This referring to why Zod wanted her along with Supe's surrender. Remember that Lois Lane was rattled off by that fellow media person on TV--that she had knowledge of Kal-El. General Zod, being an advantage-driven military strategist, wanted to know to what extent that knowledge was by probing her mind. It's actually an interesting twist thoughtfully included & not just for the plot. It addresses & brings to mind "alien abduction phenomenon" & the things aliens do to their human subjects.
  75. Jul 5, 2013
    The true Superman movie for a new generation. This is not a love letter to Reeves tenure as the Man of Steel for which "Superman Returns" was, this is the start of a series that will seemingly ground Superman more realistically and reignite the passion for this hero once more. This movie in short was PHENOMENAL! An incredible spectacle from start to finish, the film sets up an enriching mythology of Kryptonian society, provides kinetic action sequences for which superhero movies have not been realized to this degree thus far and an emotional depth to these beloved characters which was lacking from previous theatrical incarnations.

The actors portraying their roles bring about a gravitas that isn't cheesy and actually makes the audience feel for them in a heart moving way. Cavill perfectly plays his role that has undoubtedly brought dimensions of characterization unrealized to the masses who believe the last son of Krypton is a boy scout or indestructible...he is nothing of the kind! This Clark Kent is a highly conflicted individual who bears the burden of being an alien of two worlds, Cavill's solemn performance is much reminiscent of Christian Bale's take on Batman in The Dark Knight trilogy.

With Zack Snyders signature stylistic shooting, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan's writing, the film provides a breathtaking experience of Superman's capabilities fully realized with a threat to match. The action was outstanding, far surpassing any I have seen in this genre, the destruction as ridiculous as it seems IS warranted within the story and finally provides a devastation with lasting consequences (which some superhero films tend to shy away from). Hans Zimmer score compliments the film brilliantly and really made (for me anyways) a memorable modern score up there with the likes of Spider-man (First trilogy) and The Dark Knight trilogy.

Doing away with the constant barrage of one liners and comedy overloads, this film was a rather refreshing take on Superheroes, as much as it is in that genre the movie is also strongly based on high sci-fi concepts that will wet the appetite of lovers of that variety. The depth of story will leave people mesmerized, which is impressive in that it did not take/need several movies to build to a tale of this magnitude.

I have seen this movie twice already and if you have yet to see it well...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! If this is Superman's never ending battle debut for the rumored "DC Comics Cinematic Universe", I seriously cannot wait to see what the future holds for "Sector 2814" and the rest of the galaxy. This movie really resonated with me on many levels and I hope you feel for it as I did (not like the unforgiving critics who refuse the present and are too conflicted with the past notions of the Man of Steel to enjoy the film for what it is). A new take on the never ending battle begins here...Superman has really returned to the forefront!
  76. Jul 5, 2013
    Man of Steel reaches no great heights. It is just a good film, not great, not a memorable film. It's failings are not the fault of cast or their performances. It has been let down in the editing department, the movie is jolted around from flashback to present day far to often. It spoils the flow. Worth seeing if you have nothing better to do.
  77. Jul 4, 2013
    Compared to Superman Returns this movie is a hundred times better and I'm surprised to see how it's getting such negative reviews from so many movie critics. Is it as good or better than the recent Batman movie? No but it doesn't have to be to be a good movie and I really like this modern re-telling of the Superman story. As well as the actors do a great job in the movie especially Louis and Superman's Dad were great in the movie. The fight scenes are also amazing in this movie as well with the fight in Smallville being my favorite in the whole movie. Overall it's a good movie worth seeing if your either a Superman or superhero fan with it only having one huge major fault. But I won't spoil anything but Superman does one huge thing that is very, very un-Superman like. Expand
  78. Jul 4, 2013
    Es algo básico teniendo en cuenta que es el super heroe mas importante de todos los tiempos, tiene sus momentos de gran accion y entretenimiento sin embargo aun falta mas trabajo no en efectos porque eso si lo destaco si no en el trayecto como tal de la pelicula
  79. Jul 4, 2013
    I believe critics try so hard to be the utmost movie minds that cynicism sometimes gets the best of them. Throw a Zack Snyder directed piece in there and cynicism ALWAYS gets the best of them. I've watched this movie several times and am a harsh Superman critic and there is a nothing seriously wrong with this movie. The acting was good and Henry Cavill is the perfect Superman. All the haters need to get over the fact that DC makes movies for adults, smart adults at that. If you want poking fun at how unrealistic itself is and not engaging on a simultaneous mental emotional level go watch a Disney movie. I myself would take a mature, realistic piece over the latter. This is one point of view of the character in one medium. Save the camp for the golden age! Expand
  80. Jul 4, 2013
    Man of Steel was an excellent movie, both emotionally gripping, suspenseful, and entertaining! I've seen this Movie twice and looking forward to owning it on DVD. I love the Modern version of superman. His Humility, kindness and moral was moving. I cried a few times thru out the film! I love superman but this by far has got to be my favorite version!
  81. Jul 4, 2013
    Amazing superman movie,while it could have done with a little bit of light touch still its the superman movie I always wanted. The action was the highlight and man that was amazing.love it,I hope they will continue to give strong action packed movies like this maybe next time with a bit more heart & soul so that it would be perfect.
  82. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Could this be the Superman movie that we've always wanted? Man of steel is one of the most anticipated movies this year, so it has a lot of hype to live up to. Finally, a Superman movie that kicks ass, Superman knows how to take down a baddy and we did not see this kind of Superman from Superman Returns, which is one of the reasons on why it was a huge disappointment to the fans. The action scenes in this movie were fantastic, buildings crumbling down, airplanes exploding, the scenes were mind blowing, expecially the final fight scene. The film has a lot of good actors, like Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and of course the man with the cape, Henry Cavill, they all did a terrific job with their characters. There were characters from the movie that had short development, which was a problem because if they don't develop throughout the whole movie, then we might not care about these characters, like Perry White and Faora. Sometimes the action scenes could get a bit dull, which would make these scenes a bit dragging, but the visuals from those scenes looked great. The chemistry had nothing special in it, it was rushed and forced at certain parts of the flick, like the scene were Superman and Lois holds hands for the first time, that scene just made no sense. Man of Steel was still a good movie and for me, it deserves a sequel. I am going to give Man of Steel a 9/10. Expand
  83. Jul 4, 2013
    It seems that this movie is incredibly polarizing. There was really only a few scenes that kept this movie from being "Dark Knight" caliber. Cavill is perfect for this role. Although this is not the traditional vision of Superman, It still makes for a compelling story. I feel that this whole series is going to be incredible when it is viewed as a whole trilogy.
  84. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel was okay. Not great, nor bad. I think Henry Cavill was the strongest part of the film. They really went overboard with the action, as if they were trying to make up for Superman Returns. I found it sorta exhausting after a while.

I've seen a lot of different problems pointed out about the movie. I have a few but my biggest is how was General Zod, who was the foremost
    warrior on his planet and bred to be the best, so easily beat by Superman's father, the foremost scientist of the planet. Then he loses to the man's son, who's genes were completely random. I'm just saying General Zod really sucked at his job if you ask me. Expand
  85. Jul 3, 2013
    Hands down this was the BEST MOVIE of the summer and best SUPERMAN move ever! Don't listed to the NEGATIVE Critics that are probably getting paid to dumb down this movie....it was spectacular! Best graphics, Best acting, edge of your seat entertaining. I plan to take the whole family to see it again, this time we are going to see it in 3D!
  86. Jul 3, 2013
    THIS WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN! Its a must see in IMAX 3D! I LOVE everything about the movie. It was amazingly entertaining...so much so that I am going to see it again on the forth of july with my entire family!
  87. Jul 3, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel at the IMAX 3D. It was the best rendition of superman I have ever seen. The acting, storyline, and graphics was epic! I can't wait to see it again! My favorite movie this far! I recommend everyone see this film.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel is now my favorite superhero movie. They make Superman very relatable and inspiring. Clark Kent is such an honest, genuine and caring man. Henry Cavill portrayed the character of Clark very well, he was perfect for the role. Amy Adams played a fantastic Lois Lane, portraying her in a humorous way at times. All the characters were chosen very well, and the dialogue was fantastic, the graphics and special effects were amazing. Everyone who worked on this movie should be extremely proud. This movie has inspired me to be a better person by helping people, I obviously can't get superpowers but I will use the power of kindness. Please just give this movie a chance, it's a very well made film and was has potential to be an amazing series. Expand
  89. Jul 3, 2013
    I found this film great, I think the acting was superb, the pacing of the film was good enough to keep you engaged all the time but at the same time learn allot about the characters and the action sequences were amazing. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema and enjoyed a film as much as this.
  90. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel was good, no doubt, but I still left the theater somewhat unsatisfied. Why? Well, its hard to say really... most of my criticisms about the movie are nit-picky and circumstantial. A great amount of time was spent on a reinvented Krypton, introducing fans to new concepts about Superman's back-story, and providing rich content for those less avid superman fans, that is, until Krypton is destroyed and a young Kal-El is shipped off to Earth. There the story becomes a little convoluted. An adult Kal-El is now, all of a sudden introduced to the story, and what little information is provided about his childhood is presented in the form of flashbacks. While personally, I would have liked to see a bit more development in this area, I suppose it probably couldn't have been done much better. I mean, entire comic books and even a television series have been based solely on his adolescence. Proper development in this area would have taken another movie, and well, put simply, "aint nobody got time for that". The overall presentation of the movie was absolutely stunning, and Snyder does an excellent job of displaying Kryptonian power to scale, on Earth. The acting was pretty decent as well. It would be hard to not to with such a cast. Henry Cavill did an excellent job of portraying Superman's overall demeanor, almost seeming very Christopher Reeve like in is interpretation of the character. All in all, the only real complain I have about the movie was the lack of character development. If Lois Lane had died in the movie, not a tear would have been shed in the audience, simply because not enough time was spent developing her story, or anyone else's. Doing so, however, would have been a monumental task. This movie done right, would have been two different movies. So, in that sense the "Man of Steel" franchise seems a little incomplete. There is talk of a sequel, maybe then we'll see what this story, and this version of Superman is REALLY all about. Expand
  91. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of steel is truly amazing. We get to see the emotion that superman has to the world hes different from the rest of the world as he has a hard time keep his secret. Because he is always saving people.
    The movie is really good as i recommend anybody to watch it A superman fan or not when i went to the cinema with a friend who hates superheroes and he absolutely loved the movie so is
    this movie good no its not its mind blowing. Get out and watch this flick its a really good movie. Expand
  92. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel is a fairly good film. There's no saying that it's a great film, because it undeniably isn't. Some of the acting is somewhat wooden and flat, and it jumps from scene to scene, plot point to plot point, rather absent-mindedly and not in a memorable fashion. This results in the film falling down slightly from what it could have been. The fact that this film had Christopher Nolan (of The Dark Knight fame) involved meant that some people were expecting more, another Dark Knight, but that doesn't happen in this film because of the cast, both main and supporting, and the way it casually jumps between plot points without anything really holding them together, making it a rather difficult film to follow. However, on the whole this is a good film and, though it doesn't live up to expectations, it isn't exactly unwatchable and, as well as being a solid entry in the franchise, may very well be one of the best films of the lot. Expand
  93. Jul 2, 2013
    I was very upset when I left this movie...expecting that this was the rehash of Superman as we know it, the writers and director decided to change the entire history of Superman to fit their overblown, overkill, over detroy whatever city they were in, and change all of the known facts of Superman, like Lois Lane knows that Clark Kent is Superman right away??? and Clark's father, Jonathan Kent, is killed by a tornado and NOT a heart attack??? And after he lands on earth, we go straight to 33 years later and he has a beard and works on a crab ship?? Why are all these hollywood types think that they are better than the original authors!!!! And all the KILLING!!! I almost walked out. I like Henry Cavill as superman but pleaaaaaaassssseee get someone who KNOWS superman history to write the next story and stop with all the special effects. A few are needed but not all the destruction. And where was metropolis??? Expand
  94. Jul 2, 2013
    Severely underrated by the critics. This is by far the best action film I've seen in a long time. The acting was superb and the screenplay was excellent. The IMAX 3D version was spectacular. A critic called this soulless, and I couldn't disagree more. Man of Steel is an epic action movie with heart, soul, and depth.
  95. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
  96. Jul 2, 2013
    Just had to vote this up. It seems all the bad reviews come from people who don't read comics and therefore do not understand the significance this movie holds to future comic based movies.

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch, but to a comic reader they are just watered down hollywood products.

Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic.
    I'm not a huge fan of the invincible goody superhero in a blue pyjamamyself, but I must admit that he is the most iconic and one of the most important comic characters ever and the movie does right by him.

The movie itself is not perfect, there are a lot of issues (like too sudden cuts, missing information and too much bla bla), but the tone of the movie and the characters itself are exactly what I expect from a true to the comics superman movie. I definitely want to see more of that in the future. A superhero movie taking itself seriously is what the genre needed.

Now gimme Lex Luther in the second one and I'm happy!
  97. Jul 2, 2013
    Saw the movie 3 times and I could go and see it again and I still will be amazed of the special effects,the story...basically everything.The acting wasnt bad.I liked the enterpretation of Rusel Crowe as Jor-El and the one of Henry Cavill.He was the real Super-Man.But Ayelet July Zurer as his mother,imo she was terrible but I still liked the acting.The thing that I mostly liked about this movie was its originality,how the story was telled.This is definetely the best SuperMan of all time. Expand
  98. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CONTAINS SPOILERS.
    I love Man of Steel like a bunny loves jelly beans. This movie takes a poo on Iron Man 3. Don't listen to those one sided bias liberal s.o.p.r.w. critics. They suck the life out of life. I don't know what their motives are but they are not from God. The special effects in this movie are only third to District 9 and Avatar. The emotional intensity in this movie grips me like a hand grips a bird, not to hard but not to soft. This story is almost as well threaded as Gladiator. I think what it comes down to is the critics don't like the part where Superman has a conversation with the priest in front of the stain glass window of Jesus. They talk about what it is to give up your life for the world. So, let's talk about Superman's impressive physique. He was so much manlier than Christopher Reeves or Brandon Routh. Not only could he probably bench press more but his voice was deeper and he would look better in a mustache. Russel Crowe is the actor who plays Superman's dad in Man of Steel. His performance was picturesque. Michael Shannon was the perfect villain as he is in many of his movies. The development of Kripton was extremley well done. The film makers show a world full of alien animal life on Krypton and a diverse unique culture and society of Kriptonians. Overall, the superman movie "Man of Steel" is super good and you should definitely see it!
  99. Jul 2, 2013
    i had rather high expectations for this, and I must concede myself disappointed. The movie does not flow as a well-made film should, and there are many innaccuracies and oversights that make the fi;m difficult to watch. Coupled with the overlong running time, ridiculously extended battle scenes, and the 3 separate 'final' battles, you end up feeling like you just want it to end. As an action movie, it's a decent one at best. Expand
  100. Jul 2, 2013
    Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt
    every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.