7.6

1. Jun 14, 2013
    This Superman will define this generation. When watching this movie, keep a blank slate. This is not the Superman from three decades ago, the Lois and Clark Superman, or the Smallville Superman, nor should it be. More often than not, critics tend to hang on to their favorite iteration of Superman which causes bias opinions. It's an unfair bias to think of watching this film and expectingThis Superman will define this generation. When watching this movie, keep a blank slate. This is not the Superman from three decades ago, the Lois and Clark Superman, or the Smallville Superman, nor should it be. More often than not, critics tend to hang on to their favorite iteration of Superman which causes bias opinions. It's an unfair bias to think of watching this film and expecting to see the goofy bumbling uncoordinated Clark Kent, if so, you'll be disappointed. I had read a review from a critic stating that not once did Superman smile. But, was it necessary for him to do so, knowing that people's lives were at stake and an alien invasion was imminent? For the record, Superman and his alter ego, Clark Kent do crack smile. It is easy for the Superman from the first Donner film to smile. How can he not, when all he needed to do to avert a major disaster was to fly at light speed to reverse the Earth's axis to revert everything back to normal? Spoiler here, this does not occur in Man of Steel and I am glad for that!

I was convinced of each actors/actresses role of the characters they portrayed. I was convinced of the character's depth. I bought into the idea that human parents had instilled strong morals and values to an alien that can crush mountains and teach him life is precious. I bought into the idea on Clark's journey to discover his place in the world, as most everyone should be able to relate to this. I understood Zod's motive. I understood, as a leader, why he sought to change the status quo early in the movie. I understood his action was for the betterment of his people.

I like the science fiction aspect of the movie. It makes sense to me to tell a story of Superman's birth parents and where they had come from. The science fiction, and the technology incorporated in the story was very well done. I was very happy to see this was explored in the movie. This is the Krypton I had envisioned, an advance society that controlled the population. A theme that resonates from John Byrne's Krypton but differ on how the population was controlled.

This film's action scenes are fast paced. Synder has a reputation of using the slowed down camera scenes, like his other film 300, this film is the opposite. I imagine this is how it would be to view super beings as powerful as Kryptonians engage in battle with one other. The fighting scenes were superb and were welcomed by me after an action less film in Superman Returns.

If not for the few subplots on the story that did not seem to flow very well with me, I most likely would have given this film a near perfect score but the subplots were minor. All in all, you should watch this film, maybe more than just once.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of steel is a visual masterpiece full of epic fight scenes. Although they set the emotional level of this movie high in the trailers, there is much more action than slower scenes. Nolan and Snyder prove to be able to work together and combine their visual idea along with a good storyline. I encourage superman fans to enjoy the movie for what it is and not this to the comic books. 5/5!
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    Nolan and Snyder complete yourself in that new masterpiece.The action is amazing and the gladiator too.
    amy adams is a brilhant lois lane,and shanon is the worst man of krypton.
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Its a great movie. It finally gives a Superman we can say its super. The movie is definitely DC version of Avengers. It has alien battles that really are amazing. The origin story is great for Superman in the movie. I loved Lois Lane, Superman, Jor-el, Jonathan Kent, Zod and Faora in the movie. I can't wait to see what Sequel will look like. Hope Brainaic, Metallo, Parasite,Its a great movie. It finally gives a Superman we can say its super. The movie is definitely DC version of Avengers. It has alien battles that really are amazing. The origin story is great for Superman in the movie. I loved Lois Lane, Superman, Jor-el, Jonathan Kent, Zod and Faora in the movie. I can't wait to see what Sequel will look like. Hope Brainaic, Metallo, Parasite, Doomsday and Darkseid will make presence in sequels and Justice League. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Epic...Finally a good Superman, alot of action and epic special effects. The visual was perfect. For me this is the movie of the year...Plz sequel and justice league ASAP
  6. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he isThis movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he is at the beginning and turning into the Superman/Clark Kent that we are more familiar with... all twinkling eye and the boy scout smile by the end.

But really, the action and speed and power of the fight sequences are really astounding. You believe this man is THAT strong and THAT fast.

Word of warning. See it in 2-D. If I had seen it in 3-D, I would have thrown up It seems the bad reviews are mostly from people who saw it in 3-D. This thing moves, people, and if I had seen it in 3-D, it would have been too much of a good thing.

My final verdict: Better than Avengers (a tiny little bit), as good as the Dark Knight (maybe a little tiny bit worse), and as good as the 1978 Superman (maybe a little tiny bit better). Better than the first Iron Man and the Spider Man and X-Men films (by a good margin). Makes Green Lantern look like something drawn by my infant son.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    I believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values andI believe the problem most critics have is that they are stuck on a Reeves Superman. They've never viewed Superman as character with depth or seriousness. This movie makes him feel more realistic. He feels like a man who was raised on a simple Kansas farm and has had to struggle/learn his powers. In real life, most men raised on a Kansas farm are going to have Midwestern values and stoicism.
    And the movie showcases Superman's powers better than any ever has. His flight, strength, and heat vision are exactly what I'd expect in real life. The destruction when beings with these powers fight would be ridiculous.
    Man of Steel does a good job of feeling like it could occupy the same universe as the Dark Knight movies. And unlike The Marvel movies, it takes an unrealistic character and doesn't turn him into a caricature.
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Long story short, Man of Steel was a fantastic film with a lead that could hold his own on screen, brilliant supporting cast, amazing score, intense fight scenes and a story to hold everything together. Seeing as how The Dark Knight made itself more than just a comic book movie by making itself almost drama is the easiest way to put it when Man of Steel made itself just as believable butLong story short, Man of Steel was a fantastic film with a lead that could hold his own on screen, brilliant supporting cast, amazing score, intense fight scenes and a story to hold everything together. Seeing as how The Dark Knight made itself more than just a comic book movie by making itself almost drama is the easiest way to put it when Man of Steel made itself just as believable but with science fiction and drama. This "first contact" type of story being told will make it extremely easier to introduce the DC universe so time will tell. Needless to say movie tickets are freakishly expensive and god forbid you're watching a 3D version but i without a doubt would pay to see this again. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    With Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generationsWith Snyder directing, followed by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer covering the story and screenplay, the three of these men have created a Superman movie that will grip all audiences. The result: a film with bombastic and engaging action sequences, inspired performances by the cast (especially Michael Shannon), and a tone, albeit very serious, is one that fits this generations Superman well and adds accentuating depth and emotion to the story. Snyder's signature eye catching visual spectacle and stunning CGI paired with Nolan's story is sure to please not only comic book fans, but also the outside audience not already familiar with the source material. "Man of Steel" is not only an impressive film, both technically and emotionally, but it also is catching and gripping where Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" was dull and often lacking or absent. Snyder has spawned the start of what could be an incredible franchise worthy in comparison to how "Batman Begins" stemmed Nolan's Batman Trilogy. With "Man of Steel," Warner Brothers and DC Comics have returned to center stage and built upon on what could be the introduction of other super heroes in the multiverse to the big screen. The future for DC entertainment looks bright and stunning, with welcome competition from Marvel. Should be exciting. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the most AMAZING movies i've seen in my live, i cried when i watched at cinema, fight sequences are EPIC!!! Dont listen Critics bad reviews, they
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    MoS got a long round of applause after it was finished in the theater I was at and it deserved it! This reboot gave us everything we wanted and delivered on nearly every level and in the very few areas where it didn't, I'm sure will be corrected in the 2nd installment.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    EPIC there is no other word to describe it! By FAR the best super hero movie ever made! And by FAR the best movie of the year!
    I believe the critics went to watch another movie cause else something is seriously wrong with them!

Worth every penny I spent to watch it! Should be oscarized! and Snyder is a true visionary I'll give it 20/10 if I could!
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the best movie I have ever seen. Of course there are some elements that could be perfected, such as the performance of the main actor which in the end, you realize they didn't tell you so much about him and the way he reacts to things.
    Besides that, the movie is just awesome, super fast paced, an incredible story. I just want to say that: justice has been done to the most awesome superhero of all. You get to watch him in all his glory, there are no doubts about his strength and capabilities.
    The best movie (superhero movie, at least) that I have EVER seen.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    The Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what heThe Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what he does as an adult. I also enjoyed the portrayal of emotion on Supermans' face shown with close ups; the first flight for example, as this really makes the character more real as that's how a normal person would act in such situations. The direction of characters was solid through out although the action scenes felt a bit jaggy as it was almost like the audience was in the middle of the fight and possibly not getting the best possible view of the action. I also felt as though although the General Zodd character was quite good he didn't quite fill the shoes of those who played the role before which is slightly disappointing and takes away somewhat from the film. Conversely, Jor-El ;played by Russel Crowe was used brilliantly and really helped the film as well also as the portrayal of Krypton which compared to previous iterations felt alive more like a genuine planet.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    A well thought out and considerate reboot hopefully leading to bigger and better things in the future.
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    Couldn't be better, this is what we pay for, an awesome sci fi epic superhero movie, blowing everything before it and creating great expectations for what is to come next, Marvel, watch out! not even all your movies together can match this level of destruction, including the (not so awesome anymore) Avengers!
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with HenryI don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with Henry Cavill shining in the superman outfit. The script was perfect, penned by goyer and nolan, presenting the story of superman's origins and his difficulties, and at the same time having enough feel of 'realism' to it just like the dark knight trilogy. The action sequences were just plain awesome, providing enough special effects to compare with the avengers. This movie was just what the once-popular hero needed, an emotional origin story with some butt-kicking action. Man of Steel provides everything one hoped for, it delivers just everything one expected in the movie. Hopefully, Superman should collect enough revenue for at least a trilogy. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics. I'm not sure if it's an elitist agenda against Snyder as a film maker or just nostalgic cinema fans who can't let go of the "charming boy scout" that set precedent over 20 years ago in Donner's camp-filled classic... but whatever the reason- Man of Steel is undeserving of the lackluster critical response it's receiving.
    Man of Steel IS the Superman movie we've
    Man of Steel IS the Superman movie we've been waiting for. And it really is epic.
    No, this isn't your parent's Superman.. This is not golden or silver age Superman- THIS is for every kid that watched Bruce Tim's "Adventures of Superman" and "Justice League" or the DC animated films like "Doomsday" or "Crisis on two earths" and said "why can't we see THIS Superman live action?!" This is for anyone who watched Matrix and said "now... why can't we have a Superman that does this?" (no.. i'm not saying it's like the matrix- at all)
    Now, i'm not a crier- especially at movies... but, this one had me a FEW times. There's a strong emotional thread that runs through the picture. As you follow this character who can't quite find his place, doesn't quite fit in- yet has a heart for people... a true good Samaritan, who even in the face of mockers risks his own life (to his knowledge) to save them... protect them.. you empathize with him.
    The critics have it wrong- Clark's not dour in this movie, he's humble. He's patient and compassionate. It's not apathy he's displaying... it's a disciplined reserve. He's a man who's learned that his power and how he chooses to use it will define who he will become. The truth is, we're seeing Clark WHILE he's still discovering himself- still finding out what the consequences are when he uses his abilities and also when he chooses not to use his abilities.
    This is someone who's never been able to have a real relationship with anyone.(outside of his mom and dad) and throughout the course of the movie he learns to trust people- exemplified in one person that sees who he truly is, and is not only not afraid, but honors that trust. The small moments are emotional and tender (and despite what you may have read- sometimes humorous. The audience in my theater laughed at least 2 or 3 times, out loud), the big ones are exhilarating and bombastic. The battles are TRULY epic- with much at stake... This is OUR Superman...
    Snyder has successfully shaken the campy "gee whiz" and "Crime doesn't pay, evil doer" caricature and given us the Superman we grew up hoping that someday... someday someone would be able to deliver and they did- and it's here- Man of Steel. P.S. the entire audience loved the film, complete with applause at the end.
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    MOVIE OF THE YEAR! Critics are HIGH, this was the best movie I've seen all year. Aside from the gripping story, fantastic score and acting, we also have some of the most EPIC DBZ-Style Fight Sequences ever put to film. And I'm really happy with the way Superman took out Zod. (No one will ever call Superman Boring or a wimp after that final fight scene)

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait for the sequel! 10/10
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel Was worth the wait, time, and money I dropped to see it. While Nolan and company may have fell a little short in character development and cheesy lines; Lois Lane having to tell Perry she is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, the story telling and cinematic fair far outweigh what is missing. It also looks like some of the character development may be left to the sequelsMan of Steel Was worth the wait, time, and money I dropped to see it. While Nolan and company may have fell a little short in character development and cheesy lines; Lois Lane having to tell Perry she is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, the story telling and cinematic fair far outweigh what is missing. It also looks like some of the character development may be left to the sequels which brings me to my next point. As I was watching the world of Krypton unfold before my eyes and listening the cool history of it narrated to me by Jor-el, all I could think as Kal-el zoomed towards earth was, "I want more of that!" The entire world and history of Krypton the way it was depicted could easily have been its own movie a la Prometheus y Avatar. The only way the story and characters develop into critic approving fair is if this film is broken into at least two or three separate films to build the relationship between audience and characters. Obviously, that is something critics of Snyder have had for some time. The more I write this review the more upset I get at the missed opportunities of this piece. I can visualize a Man of Steel series not unlike Joss Whedon's Firefly series with the awesome Serenity film finale. Keep the actors, tone, mood everything, just replace the guy behind the camera and the film editors...can you people see it? Ugh...Speaking of Whedon, if there was a silver lining in the film, it was Snyder's use of camera work in many of the film sequences that were definitely influenced by Whedon. I was a late comer to Firefly and I caught it last summer on Netflix. Remember the scene where Serenity is being chased by the Reavers and Wash has to pull some fancy maneuvering to escape? That camera work was so cool, I must have hit the rewind button a dozen times to keep watching that sequence because I had never seen action shots filmed in a way that I could actually SEE the action and experience it as if I was flying with the ship itself. Since then, I see that technique used more and more frequently and it never fails to amaze me. It is so much easier to enjoy and SEE the film instead of seeing a jumble of flashes and letting the synapses of my brain translate what my rods and cones are interpreting. I may have taken the scenic route to explain this, but Snyder's use of these shots was so much more clear as opposed to watching a Michael Bay film that is all flash and chaos. OK. So Man of Steel, though at times a little thin in character development and story telling, is definitely worth the time and money. I can't wait to see any sequels alone or with the Justice League. Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't know how or why so many mixed reviews by critics I guess they were expecting the campy, cheesy 70's Superman? great updated story of the Man of Steel, he's young just embracing who he is and so he makes mistakes, makes some bad choices that a seasoned Superman probably doesnt make, but that to me doesnt take away from the movie it add's layers to him, I thought they had some greatDon't know how or why so many mixed reviews by critics I guess they were expecting the campy, cheesy 70's Superman? great updated story of the Man of Steel, he's young just embracing who he is and so he makes mistakes, makes some bad choices that a seasoned Superman probably doesnt make, but that to me doesnt take away from the movie it add's layers to him, I thought they had some great emotional scenes, and great action as well, I really only had one gripe but I understand it. But loved this movie right up there with The Dark Knight and Iron man 1! go see it! Expand
  21. I23
    Jun 14, 2013
    THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!! I seen this movie at the midnight showing with a few friends and we all loved it! All I can say is don't listen to the critics, watch the movie for yourself and make your own decision. The action in this movie is unparalleled, this is a superman we have never seen on film before and he kicks some serious ass!
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    A nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And theA nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And the effects are out of this world, I walked out of the theater like I just came off a roller coaster, with this feeling of excitement in my chest. I think that's the best way to describe this movie. A really amazing roller coaster. The emotional scenes were also tastefully done and I had all the feels for Clark through out the movie. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    I always have respect for the critics on this sight. But they must have been smoking something to only give this movie a 55. I saw the movie in 3D at the Midnight showing. IT IS AMAZING!!! The story line. The graphics. The special effects. Best movie I have seen this year.
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel isn't perfect, but it is a great time. The first half is my favorite that is where you get the character development and through all the flashbacks I got emotionally investeted. The second half with all the big action scenes took me away from it a little, but I can't wait for part two.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    Finally a good Superman movie. Yes, it was serious, but DC's New 52 and all the Warner Premiere movies are serious. DC is serious, deal with it.
    Also, some people complained that there was too much unbelievable action. Superman CAN punch the moon out of orbit. Even if we know that is not possible, who cares. If you want "realistic" watch a documentary. Superman fans want to see the Man of Steel get punched through a mountain.
    This movie catered to the real DC fan. It is what a Superman movie should be.
    So in brief, if you want weak, funny characters, they make Marvel movies for that.
    And if you think this movie was worse that Superman Returns, they make a pill for that.
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    i don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i five rating 9 out of 10
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Superman Movie story for this generation. Man of steel has pulled what other Superman movie has never done this movie has shown us the core of the character and what he can do. Emotional and action packet, this movie has it all and I can't wait for the sequel of this movie. Thank you God for NOT giving us another campy Superman movie. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    There is no story-telling!Last 45 minutes of time is only action.Overloaded with actions, and of course very less humanity! Zack has preferred the 'Transformers-Dark of the moon' style for his superman reboot!!The romance between Lois and Clark was something very special, but in this movie their relationship is a 007 romance.Spectacular but no any fun nor humor
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Zack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension andZack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension and vulnerability. Michael Shannon creates a conflicted and compelling villain (General Zod) and is almost overtaken by his side-kick Faora (Antje Traue) who poses a greater personal risk for the Man of Steel.

Amy Adams (as Lois Lane) does really well she's not the helpless woman depicted by the animated series. She's tough, in a Pepper Potts (from Ironman) sort of a way. Like Adams, Diane Lane (as Martha Kent) is great. It's Cavill's interactions with these two woman that provide the greatest depth for his character a nice touch.

And if you're a film aficionado who loves movie-music, Hans Zimmer's score is masterful, as is this film's sound-mixing.

Can't wait for the sequel, which already has confirmed key players, and ultimately the Justice League movie!

Note: There is no mid or end credit scene. Bummer.
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    Man Of Steel totally blew my mind. Everything i expected and a lot more. Finally, Superman in action like we always prayed to see materialize on the big screen. The wait was worth every bit. The King-Daddy of Superheroes is in the house!
  31. Jun 14, 2013
    The movie is simply AMAZING, I will never understand why critics are treating it so brutally. Since the very moment the movie begins you are caught by the depth of the characters, the way the story is told, the story itself; the acting is superb and every single actor adds something special to their portrayals. For the first time after Christopher Reeves we have a lovable and believableThe movie is simply AMAZING, I will never understand why critics are treating it so brutally. Since the very moment the movie begins you are caught by the depth of the characters, the way the story is told, the story itself; the acting is superb and every single actor adds something special to their portrayals. For the first time after Christopher Reeves we have a lovable and believable Clark Kent/Superman. The action scenes in this movie are something you have never seen before in any other superhero movie. And for the first time in 75 years the infamous question of why Lois Lane does not realise that Superman is Clark Kent wearing glasses IS SOLVED: Lois Lane is not "stupid" anymore!!

Again, do not pay attention to the critics. I really do not know if it is about trying to badmouth of every Zack Snyder project or just haters gonna hate.
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    The cinematography was excellently done, with beautiful sweeping shots of gorgeous environments and very professionally done CGI. The soundtrack was fairly well done by Hans Zimmer, but was nothing too spectacular in comparison to some of his other efforts.

The film was a origin story, and yet could have been so much more had Snyder and Nolan attempted to flesh out the character of Kal-El, Clark Kent, and Superman. Instead the film and its makers settled for an action flick that required hardly any depth in dialogue or plot. Rather than creating a deep and engaging, character driven film complemented by the action that is to be expected from a Superhero film, Snyder relies on impressive explosions and fight sequences that leave much to be desired.

The acting is to be praised. Henry Cavill does well enough with his character, but the most passionate performances come from Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Ma and Pa Kent. Their relationship and the relationship with Clark could have been a fascinating story arc, but unfortunately was pushed aside for the action sequences and the "save the world" story arc that plagues superhero film tropes. Michael Shannon adequately fulfills his role as Zod, the villian.

Ultimately this film will leave serious film goers disappointed, as it has little character driven story arcs and shallow dialogue. The film will attract those interested in a decent superhero story in comparison to Marvel's takes and who don't mind an action flick that relies on little else.
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    Boundlessly cool and entertaining, amazing visual effects, the fights are fast and explosive and the stakes feel high. Michael Shannon steals the show. He delivers a performance that gathers all the intensity he has ever played into one character (That's super intense).

Take this how you will, but there is more destruction in this film than I have ever seen. Nothing is sacred. It's sweet.

Hans Zimmer's score: I think it's some of his best work. With it, he pays more dividends to the plot beats and the characters than the script or actors. It is delicate and sensitive but at moments notice can go from 1- 100! It raises the stakes to where they should be and makes some of the more cheesy moment so much more palatable. He has gathered a brutal drum ensemble and it shakes you to your foundations!

I will say that the film suffers from minor plot holes and some teeth grinding cheesy moments. There is a lack of comic relief, and perhaps some comic moments that seem misplaced or gauche. The pacing is strange and seems to polarise people, you either love it, or hate it. I'm not quite sure yet... but i'm leaning towards disliking it.

I still think Superman is too "good". He needs to struggle with himself more! We need more internal conflict in order to relate more and for us to want him to win that much more. BUT.
    I think we finally have a superman film that is BADASS and another superhero that is accesible to this generation.
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    I'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of theI'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of the Superman's character for the 21st century: an alien immigrant who is a social outcast, who must choose between his adopted world and his true 'race'. It has brilliant supporting casts, notably Costner's amazing performance as Jonathan Kent. Cavill also delivers as a more 'grounded' Superman. The action sequences are reminiscent of 'Japanese Anime', hence the critics 'resistance' to that particular palate: supersonic fights, buildings demolished to smithereens. It made recent set pieces looked anemic in comparison. I watched it with a little boy beside me with his mom. He had that same look that I used to have when I watched the original Superman many years ago: a look of awe and wonder and a belief that a man can really fly. Welcome back Superman..... Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    The critics truly got this one wrong. Possibly a false sense of righteousness that critics must despise something good? I will never understand...

On to the movie: A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action. Unrelenting, superb, awe-inspiring, the list goes on... Rivals The Dark Knight. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made. Everyone and their

On to the movie:
    A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action.
    Unrelenting, superb, awe-inspiring, the list goes on...
    Rivals The Dark Knight. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
    Everyone and their grandmother should watch this film.
    You'll be missing out if you do not.
  37. Jun 14, 2013
    It's a DISASTER to put Nolan's name in Zack's film. They are in different league! One of the biggest disappointment in 2013. But I should give perfect score for Hans Zimmer!
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening onDon't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening on Krypton, the film loses steam and I questioned it's pacing, but was quickly relived by how the story is told is the often non-linear style used by Nolan and Goyer Zach Snyder's direction fits the film perfectly, there's a bit of lens flair saturation but every sequence is filmed beautifully. And the action, just incredible, the flying is violent, you feel the environment shift. You get to enjoy the film more and more as it progresses, i wish they'd taken more time to delve further into the story but clocking in at around 2 and 1/2 hours, there's a solid amount of content and a good story. Though there are some pacing issues and more can be desired, Man of Steel is a superb movie that I can't wait to see again. Expand
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    This movie wasn't perfect, but by god it's awesome! It's so sad that the critics don't feel the same way. Criticism over the serious tone is probably due to harping upon nostalgia. This movie is so thoughtful and provocative, and the performances by the actors are phenomenal. My only sadness is that a quality movie may not get the attention it deserves.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I became of Zack Snyder fan with Watchmen, a film that is very near and dear to my heart. I was totally excited when I heard that he was making MOS, and became more so as the trailers were trickled out. MOS is an unusual movie and part of that feeling may come from its otherworldly music score. It wastes no time at all and gets to the meat of the story quickly, giving it a kind of dense feel. However, there are points in the movie that are hard to digest. The plot always finds a contrived way of getting Lois Lane in all of Superman's set pieces on board a space ship, in the tundra, in Kansas she never far behind. She might as well have been in the Zod fights. Also, Superman's never flown until the events of this movie?! I give Snyder huge credit for making this movie all his own, it's different in the same way Tim Burton made Batman in his own vision. I had fun, see this movie but don't nit pick its odd parts. Expand
  41. Jun 14, 2013
    best movie ever cant see why those critic don't see what I see bunch of idiots that movie was the best got great actors great action bunch of other things
  42. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely love, every actor was perfect for the part, Man of Steel is made of legend. He resurrected the Superman's mythos. All in this movie was worthy of attenction
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    You'll believe a man can fly: this is the greatest cinecomic I've ever seen. Perfect in every aspect. Cavill is the real heir to the mighty Christopher Reeve.
  44. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully greatI don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully great Superman saga. Expand
  45. oDi
    Jun 14, 2013
    As a fan of action hero movies in general having seen and enjoyed all of the latest superhero films from DC and Marvel (Dark Knight Thor, The Avengers) the thing that i have to say about Man of Steel is that it is the best action superhero movie to date It is the perfect origin story just like Batman Begins It has great acting especially Henry Cavill who is portraying aAs a fan of action hero movies in general having seen and enjoyed all of the latest superhero films from DC and Marvel (Dark Knight Thor, The Avengers) the thing that i have to say about Man of Steel is that it is the best action superhero movie to date It is the perfect origin story just like Batman Begins It has great acting especially Henry Cavill who is portraying a perfectly troubled Superman. The action sequences are the best action sequences to date from any action movie i have ever seen There is an ultimately chilling ending and yes in the theater i saw it the people applauded in the end something i have never seen before For me it shows the way all action hero movies should be done I am tired of comic book movies adaptations that with all this humor become comedies in the end Superheroes often suffer in the comic books and this gives them the characterization of drama not comedies Most of the times i read critic reviews and many times i agreed with them But not in this one Its the first time i have serious doubts in the integrity of the reviewing system (critics) If we compare this movie with the Avengers for example its definitely a more serious ,more action packed, more intense movie. I dont say the Avengers is not a good superhero movie It is But this is even better I would recommend to anyone to see this movie Its everything that you would expect from a summer blockbuster and even more. Expand
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    Love this movie, it's perfect it's definitly the best way to made a cinecomic, simply amazing, made me forget the orrible Iron Trashman 3, You'll believe a man can fly.
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the Superman movie both Superman fans and comic books fans have been waiting for. Without going into plot details everything from human (and alien) drama, romance, action and hope are presented in this film. Henry Cavill is Superman. From Henry all the way down the actors chosen were perfect. This is a visually stunning and emotional movie. From the first scene to the last youThis is the Superman movie both Superman fans and comic books fans have been waiting for. Without going into plot details everything from human (and alien) drama, romance, action and hope are presented in this film. Henry Cavill is Superman. From Henry all the way down the actors chosen were perfect. This is a visually stunning and emotional movie. From the first scene to the last you will believe a man can stand for hope and find his way as we all try and do in this world. Go see Man of Steel. Expand
  48. Jun 14, 2013
    After reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie, acted superbly on most accounts, i loved it. This is on youll just have to ignore the critics on guys, trust me. Watch the user reviews and see forAfter reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie, acted superbly on most accounts, i loved it. This is on youll just have to ignore the critics on guys, trust me. Watch the user reviews and see for yourself how good it is. Fantastic. Made up for superman returns in every way. Its fallen victim to the hobbit treatment. Fantastic movie but only the general public can see why. Just go see it. Expand
  49. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in with high expectations and it managed to meet most of them. Which surprised me, it was fun and it tried to fit a lot in what seemed a short time, but was actually long. I'm sure the next one will have more character development and I can't wait. In short Super! Expand
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    MARVELOUS OUTSTANDING
    Brilliant movie overall just don't expect Nolan's wit. The movie is just made better by the great music by Hans Zimmer
    Lucky to watch it first day n first show
    Go watch it now
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    Just came back from the movie! Just one word Amazing. Watched it in IMAX 3D it's not just the end that has action scenes. From start to end it's a bang for the Buck. It has a great story, some moments even bring tears into your eye and as for the Action is concerned it was EPIC. It was amazing to see superman in the air flying and fighting especially in IMAX 3D. Go for it. I would rate itJust came back from the movie! Just one word Amazing. Watched it in IMAX 3D it's not just the end that has action scenes. From start to end it's a bang for the Buck. It has a great story, some moments even bring tears into your eye and as for the Action is concerned it was EPIC. It was amazing to see superman in the air flying and fighting especially in IMAX 3D. Go for it. I would rate it 10/10. Expand
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I giveTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    Loved it. It wasn't a rehash of the older Superman movies and it does a pretty good job of starting off a new franchise. There were some bumps in the story and there was a excess in action, but otherwise I had a ton of fun. It just may be one of my favorite comic book movies yet!
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the new movie is better to the previous and this movie have new plot new enemy and I think Henry cavil better than Brandon Roth and more serious Expand
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    It was an awesome movie, with alot of action and beutiful special effects. The only thing i don't like much is the performance of the main actor, doesn't show alot of emotion. Can't wait to see the sequel and Justice Leage!
  56. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the new movie because it started again and has finally a new enemy and kept the Lex Luther has a new plot of new players and I think Henry Kabila better at playing the Superman Brandon Roth Expand
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    The Good: Occasional realism, and I repeat... OCCASIONAL. Cool special effects. The Bad: Bad Actors, plot scenes that should be rushed are dragged, and plot scenes that should be taken slower are rushed. Overall, I it's clear by watching the movie what Nolan was "trying" to do, and for that I applaud him... But somewhere it all got lost. I really wanted this movie to be the best,The Good: Occasional realism, and I repeat... OCCASIONAL. Cool special effects. The Bad: Bad Actors, plot scenes that should be rushed are dragged, and plot scenes that should be taken slower are rushed. Overall, I it's clear by watching the movie what Nolan was "trying" to do, and for that I applaud him... But somewhere it all got lost. I really wanted this movie to be the best, unfortunately it is an OK movie. I think the main flaw of the movie is the bad acting, and the plot rushes... Expand
  58. Jun 14, 2013
    Very, very well made movie. Despite the last forty minutes being one straight up action scene, the first one hundred are excellent insights into Clark Kent's troubled character. Not to mention a climax that will leave you agape.
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, heI had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, he has successfully made the Man Of Steel relevant and above all human. With a strong cast including Russel Crowe as Jor-El, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and of course Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. Michael Shannon makes a truly menacing General Zod that you actually respect for his notions but understand his questionable motives. Overall, Man Of Steel is a pleasant surprise filled with plenty of little Easter eggs for DC fans to look out for. This is one summer blockbuster you won't want to miss, Zack Snyder has created another epic superhero masterpiece. Expand
  60. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 5 superhero movie of all time. I really dont understand why every critic is being this harsh. Its like they are scrutinizing the movie more than usual just cause Snyder has a part it in it. I actually really enjoyed the movie.
  61. Jun 14, 2013
    Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worse movies EVER! I did not mind the creative liberties that were taken with the story line, that is to be expected when someone adds their "spin" on anWell, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worse movies EVER! I did not mind the creative liberties that were taken with the story line, that is to be expected when someone adds their "spin" on an established story.

The pacing was horrid! The tone was so monotone. The movie was going for the over the top serious feel. For me, it came off as corny and at times I found myself rolling my eyes at all of the dramatic screams. By the end of the movie I was thankful it was over. In short #disappointed

It's too bad, I really want a Justice League or A World's Finest Movie but if either were to be based on Man of Steel I would not hold high hopes of it being any good.
  62. Jun 14, 2013
    This film explored the emotional issues of Kal-El very nicely. This is a signature mark of crafting by the awesome producer, Nolan. Somehow, the interaction between the alien world and humanity is a little less entertaining. This story can be hard to adapt to more realistic terms like Batman so, do not expect that. I'm not a big fan of Snyder. His vision doesn't bringing to life theThis film explored the emotional issues of Kal-El very nicely. This is a signature mark of crafting by the awesome producer, Nolan. Somehow, the interaction between the alien world and humanity is a little less entertaining. This story can be hard to adapt to more realistic terms like Batman so, do not expect that. I'm not a big fan of Snyder. His vision doesn't bringing to life the challenges that Superman faces. Expand
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    MILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all greatMILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all great movie, one of the best movie of the year along with star trek and I am looking forward to Justice League!! Expand
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    Nolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. The movie sticks to a pleasant paceNolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. The movie sticks to a pleasant pace with one notable scene being somewhat of a tear jerker towards the middle of the movie. The movie delivers what most wished the previous 3 movies could have been. Solid action, great story and visually stunning. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.