7.6

1. Jun 30, 2013
    Critics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolvesCritics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolves around the destroy of a city, The special effects look amazing and I kind of regret not seeing it in 3D. The plot reveals far more back story to Superman then any of the previous Superman films and was pretty solid over all.

In the end, Man of Steel is the must see summer action film and I will gladly pre-order it on Blu-ray when it comes out for home release. Go and see this movie, It's amazing.
  2. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated it. The violence was unnecessary, the story was dragged out, and I'm pretty sure Superman killed more people than he actually saved, with all those buildings he destroyed and streets he laid waste to. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    Another super-hero reboot movie, however this one falls short. It's way too serious for its own good, trying to mimic the tone of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies to no success. It focuses too much on being melodramatic and that brings the whole movie down. The action is interesting at times, mostly when Super Man is fighting his foes in mid-air, but ends relying on huge explosions andAnother super-hero reboot movie, however this one falls short. It's way too serious for its own good, trying to mimic the tone of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies to no success. It focuses too much on being melodramatic and that brings the whole movie down. The action is interesting at times, mostly when Super Man is fighting his foes in mid-air, but ends relying on huge explosions and disasters rather than satisfying fights. It ends up being too noisy both visually and aurally. But by far the worst thing about this movie is how it doesn't feel like a super-hero movie, but rather some generic alien invasion flick. I never cared about what was going on, the characters failed to grab me in any way, and outside of the occasional cool action scene this movie ended up being a waste of time. It's all so disappointing because this was supposed to bring Super Man back with a new tone. If this is how the rest of the Super Man movies are going to turn out they need to just stop now. It even makes me worry that, if one ever gets made, the future Justice League movie will fail. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birthMan of Steel re-imagines the legend of Superman in modern movie fashion beginning with the story of his home planet, Krypton. We first witness the miraculous birth of Kal-El, son of prominent scientist Jor-El (Russell Crowe) and Lara Lor-Van (Ayelet Zurer), who happens to be the first naturally born Kryptonian (i.e., not genetically engineered) in a long time. Unfortunately, Kal’s birth comes just at the time when Krypton’s society is fracturing under the fear inspired by Jor-El’s prediction that the planet’s end is nigh. An attempted military coup by General Zod (Michael Shannon) sets into motion a series of fateful events that see young Kal-El raised on Earth, where he is warned by his adoptive parents (Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) that his god-like alien powers will one day force him to make a choice about how he will change the world for better or worse. And when Zod and his minions suddenly appear in Earth’s orbit, ready to finish what was started on Krypton, Kal-El/Clark Kent realizes that his prophesied moment of choice has now arrived. As was hoped for by many, Man of Steel is a fine marriage between the rich character-centric storytelling of Dark Knight Trilogy architects Chris Nolan and David S. Goyer, and the signature visual talents of director Zack Snyder. The movie is very much “Superman Begins” in terms of its narrative approach and structure; however, in terms of themes and tone the film achieves its own identity as an insightful, reverent and effectively relatable Superman story. Are there liberties taken with certain details of the costume, origin story or character relationships? Of course. But then again; this is a fresh start to present a new Superman to a modern world and in that, Man of Steel ultimately succeeds. Visually, this is Snyder’s most impressive film yet and it looks pretty stunning in 3D. Everything from Kryptonian culture and technology to the way Superman’s powers (and the impossible physics surrounding them) operate looks on point and believable (enough) in a real-world context. Add to that an abundance of visual iconography and head nods to both the comics and Richard Donner’s seminal films (in particular Superman II) and it’s clear that Man of Steel‘s director has true love, understanding and appreciation for the subject matter at hand. The action sequences while at times a bit too CGI-heavy are pretty epic in nature and certainly deliver on that perennial fanboy desire to see a film that depicts how super-powered beings would look and feel battling it out in a real-world setting. The wonderful pacing, editing, smart selection of scenes and abundance of action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly; although by the climax, seeing flying men get punched through buildings over and over again might have you checking your watch. The score by Dark Knight composer Hans Zimmer is phenomenal and heightens the film every turn, while also establishing yet another new-age superhero theme to replace a classic favorite (John Williams’ Superman theme from the Donner films). At the same time, Man of Steel is not without some noticeable narrative flaws. The script can be very “comic-bookish” in some scenes of dialogue, and the jumps in time and place during the first act are not as cohesive as they were in Batman Begins. Clever editing and speedy movement earlier on often comes at the price of effective narrative development. In short: if you were one of those people who were hung up on the question of how Bruce Wayne made it back to Gotham after escaping prison in Dark Knight Rises, you’ll find similar gripes with Man of Steel. Thankfully, the studio and filmmakers pull the same magic trick they did with the Batman franchise by casting an impressive array of highly-talented actors, who help elevate the weaker points of the script. Meanwhile, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe add Oscar-caliber gravitas and heart to the film as Superman’s two sets of parents. Crowe gets a substantial amount of screen time to really flesh-out the character of Jor-El like never before, while Lane and Costner totally carry the family drama subplot, which is the most moving and beautiful element of the story. Even military side-characters like Genearl Swanwick, On the whole, this movie is exactly the sort of experience that many Superman fans have been asking for, with the added benefit of having some smart storytellers providing fresh insight into why the character is one of the most iconic fictional creations out there. Like Nolan and Christian Bale’s first Batman outing, Snyder and Cavill’s first crack at Superman isn’t a homerun (we’ll call it a triple), but having succeeded in re-introducing the franchise to the core. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    Man of Steel is probably Christopher Nolan's weakest film he has been apart of, but that takes nothing away from the shear beauty of the film. Even with moments that drag, Man of Steel soars on all other levels.
  6. Feb 7, 2015
    From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel isn't perfect, but it is a great time. The first half is my favorite that is where you get the character development and through all the flashbacks I got emotionally investeted. The second half with all the big action scenes took me away from it a little, but I can't wait for part two.
  8. Jan 5, 2014
    A lifeless tiresome drag of one huge explosion followed by another. The directing, writing, and editing are all pretty bad. The characters don't feel real and identifiable. Top it all off was the fact that there was no comedy relief from this bore.
  9. Dec 20, 2013
    Man of Steel is a nice little round of CGI fisticuffs. Explosions go bang, buildings go crash and super-people get smashed through all manner of concrete items. But where's the fun? And more importantly, where's the heart? Whilst not a terrible film, Man of Steel could have (and should have) been a lot better.
  10. Jul 7, 2013
    My most anticipated summer blockbuster of 2013, from the mastermind of 300 (2006, 7/10) and WATCHMEN (2009, 7/10), the reboot of the most popular superhero has undergone a series of choppy fluctuations since the underperformance of Bryan Singer’s SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006, 7/10), so an IMAX plus 3D version for me is a prerequisite to watch.

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an

Not an avid fan of Snyder, but MAN OF STEEL is an up-to-par epic bandwagon superbly grafts the invincible Kryptonian alien under the context of a xenophobic earth milieu, a human environment-nurtured extraterrestrial identity chooses to combat against his own race to save the cynical earthlings.

The film majestically branches out a unique palette of indigo and gray, a post-apocalypse solemness which is unlike most of its superfluous comic-derived peers (producer Christopher Nolan’s sway may be a plausible influence), and a hefty impetus of Clark Kent’s poignant relation with his human parents perpetually spurs the film to imprint its most eloquent fingerprints onto the heart of its recipients, a far better fulfillment than the parents-bereaved spidey (both Costner and Lane are heartwarming and sagacious in it).

Crowe and Zurer as Superman’s biological parents, both are throwaway in the overture of Krypton’s demise, the former then resurrects himself as a bewildering wraith inside the flying vehicle, sabotages General Zod’s scheme. Against the ageism, Adams offers brilliant ballast as the mettlesome journalist Lois Lane, a paragon of the benevolence from human part, the mutual attraction between her and Kent is ignited, but markedly Snyder saves the best for the sequel. Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni, one is the ferocious sidekick of Zod, another is a human general fights till his self-sacrifice heroic act, brings out an intensive beast-and-prey pattern of diversion which is a rare treat for side players in mainstream cinema. Michael Shannon as General Zod, a bona-fide super-villain counteracts Superman’s almighty indestructibility, his human-eradication theory surpasses any comic fecklessness, and the gravity-reconstruction concept really put the entire planet hanging on a thread (I always redeem a sudden depletion of gravity is the way to our doomsday), Shannon is incredible to magnify his militant loyalty and the genocide-prone mercilessness whilst viewers would eventually be touched by the former, such a transcending feat to accomplish out of a fixated mold. Same can be stated to Henry Cavill’s Superman, he is a flawless messiah of our planet, and Cavill is the perfect Superman, both from his physique and his charisma (and finally the underwear goes underneath his uniform), his oscillation has never been shied away in the film, and it makes the final neck-breaking such an emotional disturbance
    both to him and to the viewers.

The CGI effects are another fusillade of leveling cities and blasting buildings after THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10), but an amazing stunt is this time it ad hoc showcases an uplifting process of Superman’s sway of his flying expertise. A recurrent blip of the genre is the willful negligence of the aftershock, 5 seconds later, everyone act like they are totally oblivious of the apocalyptic attack no matter how damaged the city is, the transference is unnaturally nettling, the least one can do is to take a few shots of people’s contemplation as survivors of such a catastrophe, or raise hope to shoot scenes of the restoration and a panorama of the mess is a must to deepen the seriousness of the matter.

Anyhow, MAN OF STEEL is a stylized orthodox superhero film which successfully recoups the fanboys and bolsters a stronghold for the series in its lucrative future projects, its mass appeal might lag behind Marvel’s SHIELDS coalition, but Superman’s adventure will be more audacious and reflective other than its entertaining face value.
  11. Nov 12, 2013
    Devoid of any real relation with the previous Reeve classics,but Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are an interesting couple for future films, and Michael Shannon's decent dramatic role helps with the scripts plot holes, which are more numerous than should be, and tedious pacing. I liked it, didn't love it.
  12. Jan 10, 2014
    Convincing and reasonably intelligent re-imagining of how Superman became Clark Kent. Rather more of a piece than the earlier Christopher Reeve films. This time Henry Cavill dons the cloak and tights, in what is a good choice for the comic book hero. The special visual effects are numerous and outstandingly good. Michael Shannon is a fearsome villain in a cast which also includes theConvincing and reasonably intelligent re-imagining of how Superman became Clark Kent. Rather more of a piece than the earlier Christopher Reeve films. This time Henry Cavill dons the cloak and tights, in what is a good choice for the comic book hero. The special visual effects are numerous and outstandingly good. Michael Shannon is a fearsome villain in a cast which also includes the ubiquitous Amy Adams (somewhat coasting it here) as Lois Lane. Expand
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    Zack Snyder's dark take in Man of Steel, a la Christopher Nolan's Gotham, really worked in my opinion. I've always felt that Superman had one of the more tragic of backgrounds and the more uplifting and happier stories never felt genuine. Richard Roeper's criticism that "There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story" or Rafer Guzman's criticism that "this reboot skimps on fun andZack Snyder's dark take in Man of Steel, a la Christopher Nolan's Gotham, really worked in my opinion. I've always felt that Superman had one of the more tragic of backgrounds and the more uplifting and happier stories never felt genuine. Richard Roeper's criticism that "There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story" or Rafer Guzman's criticism that "this reboot skimps on fun and romance" shows just how many critics missed the point. This isn't a kid's story, period! Leave all of those childish and whimsical expectations at home. In my opinion, this grittier version really hit home and took the drama and intensity to whole new levels. While it failed to deliver on the level of the some of the Avengers: Phase One films and definitely wasn't on the level with any of the movies from the Dark Knight Trilogy, it was still a great movie. The acting was really good, especially from Amy Adams in her supporting role. She managed to turn a character without a lot of development into one with a surprising amount of depth and believability. And Henry Cavill was great as Superman/Kal-El, probably my favorite yet. The supporting roles by Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and so on were all also fantastic. I don't think I can remember a movie where all of the supporting roles were played by people more famous than the protagonist but that was the case here and it worked because of Cavill's performance and how the movie was laid out. The action sequences were great, as was to be expected, and the way the plot developed was not annoying as most critics claimed. Many felt like the constant back-and-forth hurt the film's progression but I actually quite liked it. It kept the two and a half hour movie from dragging and felt fresh. The one flaw that I felt actually took a bit away from the movie, however, was the shaky-camera cinematic effect. I'm sorry but this isn't a world where the audience is going to feel the "we're there" and in the actual scene itself. All that did was make you wish it wasn't there. Overall though, this was a great movie and while I've never been a big fan of the Superman lore, if you can remove bias and suspend quite a bit of disbelief I think most would really enjoy it. Expand
  14. Jul 9, 2013
    Most people loathed Superman Returns, I didn't, I loved its symbolism and its attempt to carry on the Richard Donner universe despite its lack of fun loving heroics that made the originals so enjoyable. So I have to say Man of Steel had something to prove. The film tells the story of what happens when far away planet Krypton starts dying and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son Kal-ElMost people loathed Superman Returns, I didn't, I loved its symbolism and its attempt to carry on the Richard Donner universe despite its lack of fun loving heroics that made the originals so enjoyable. So I have to say Man of Steel had something to prove. The film tells the story of what happens when far away planet Krypton starts dying and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son Kal-El (Henry Cavill) to Earth so he may live. When he arrives he is raised in secret by Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane) and learns to become a hero people can believe in as reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams) gets closer to uncovering the truth behind this mysterious hero's true identity. The feeling I had when I left the cinema was one of disappointment sure but not for the reasons I expected. I expected an emotionless sequence of beautifully framed rubbish, what I got was so much more than that. Man of Steel is excellent science fiction, its smart, its beautifully realized and it shows a part of Superman's mythology that has never really been touched upon by the films. It's a good 30 minutes before we are introduced to the titular hero as we see the collapse of Krypton and how their society broke down enough for Jor-El to send Kal to Earth in the first place. The rest of the film is a pretty conventional origins story but unlike Zach Snyder's previous films Watchmen and Sucker Punch, Man of Steel has an understanding of its characters and the emotions that drive them and brings out some excellent performances in Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Michael Shannon as fellow Kryptonian and lead villain General Zod. The film looks brilliant, it tells a captivating story and it has well thought out characters except for Adams' Lois Lane who pales in comparison to Margot Kidder's interpretation of the woman (although Adams is better than Kate Bosworth's version of the character but that's not hard as a reasonably well trained dog could play her better than Bosworth did.) The main downside however is not an acting problem its the films ending, not for the surprise twist I imagine a lot of people are talking about but because that final hour is just a long sequence of destruction that could be 20 minutes shorted and would still bore me to death. The action looks good and in sections of the film when there is actual story its good to see it accompany the story but the end of the film lacks any real reason for this ridiculous over the top violence and the story is nowhere as strong as it is in the first hour and a half. In fact that was my main qualm, the fact that the first hour and a half, the tale of how Clark Kent becomes Superman is almost perfect Sci-Fi and it is almost ruined by a blockbuster ending, a conclusion based on what other blockbuster superheroes have done recently and not what this character should do, something Snyder should have picked up on but unfortunately didn't. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    While Man of Steel promises to have a good story and characters instead we get a lot of action and not enough story. Had the film given us a more character driven film and focused less on the action we could have really had something great here. As it is Man of Steel is good. It has some fun action, some epic moments, and a couple nice character moments. While it may not have wowed me asWhile Man of Steel promises to have a good story and characters instead we get a lot of action and not enough story. Had the film given us a more character driven film and focused less on the action we could have really had something great here. As it is Man of Steel is good. It has some fun action, some epic moments, and a couple nice character moments. While it may not have wowed me as much as I thought it was it did keep me more engaged than Superman Returns. If you are a fan of action movies and just want to see Superman beat the sh*t out of guys for the majority of the movie, or at least it feels like it, I think you will enjoy Superman. If you are looking for a more character driven superhero movie then go watch X-Men,Spider-Man 2,The Dark Knight Trilogy, and Superman I & II and even to a certain extent Superman Returns, which while lacking in action does have a story. As it is though Man of Steel is entertaining with enough action, epicness, and character development to make it worth a watch for any superhero fan. Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    I'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention asI'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention as the screen time allowed.

However I do have a few gripes:
    1) First time I have ever complain that there is too much action. The movie is an exciting roller coaster, and like a roller coaster rider to much for too long can leave you a little nauseated. A few pauses, perhaps with some rich narrative, between battle would have been nice.
    2) While I get this is a reimagining, I'm a little bummed about there being no Kryptonite, at least not in the traditional sense. But at the very least it wasn't ruled out, so it is still possible to it in future movies.
    3) While Zod gives a great performance, Faora seriously steals the show every scene she's in. She is more what I expect Zod to be. Zod's OK but I found him to sympathetic.

Overall:
    Grievances aside, I had a blast watching this movie. While it my have been the action movie equivalent of a sugar rush, it was a great rush and I look forward to future installments.
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    Overall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super heroOverall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super hero movies, however. I also felt the movie had one battle too many, and was way too destructive. New York City is decimated in this film. This film is LOUD! The special effects were excellent and the 3D good. Overall, a success, but not great. Expand
  18. Dec 17, 2013
    "Man of Steel" has some terrific and intense 3-D action but needs more humor and emotion. There are some excellent and beautiful visual effects, but the fact that Henry Cavill who plays Superman, is not very emotional, disappointed me.
  19. Jul 21, 2013
    Didn't think too much of Superman Returns so I didn't have high hopes for this, but wow I was pleasantly surprised It was a great movie with plenty to keep you interested! A nice selection of actors who were spot on with their roles, and a great revamp of the Superman tale that has been told many times before. I'm keen to get onto titles like Smallville now because I enjoyed this so much!Didn't think too much of Superman Returns so I didn't have high hopes for this, but wow I was pleasantly surprised It was a great movie with plenty to keep you interested! A nice selection of actors who were spot on with their roles, and a great revamp of the Superman tale that has been told many times before. I'm keen to get onto titles like Smallville now because I enjoyed this so much! The final few scenes in particular really stand out but overall a great film highly recommend it! Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    Finally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional toneFinally, the most anticipated movie of this year has arrived. I was a little over hyped for this movie since there hasn't been a magnificently good looking Superman movie since "Superman II." I did notice that lots of critics didn't like this movie. I was really pissed at them. I still enjoyed this movie. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It didn't have much of the emotional tone that it had in the 2nd and 3rd trailer. The movie is filled with so much action/violence and miraculous visuals. It's truly breathtaking to watch but it has way more than what you expected in the trailers and promos. It does kind of make the story drag. I'm just saying, less action could have been better. Not much, but just a little. And more of a story could have made me give this movie a perfect 10. But for what it's worth it's a solid 8. Overall, even with it's minor elements, you will still love this amazing reboot. Expand
  21. Nov 13, 2014
    "Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

"Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Good: Superman is finally updated and made relevant to the masses. Is it an exact interpretation of the comic book character? No, it isn't. It is a modern Superman for a modern world and is extremely well done. Well acted, especially Cavill, Shannon, and Crowe. This is how a super hero franchise should start and I was impressed with the depth of the script. The flashbacks were extremely well done and helped move the movie along by skipping past yet another origin story in the opening act. The sci-fi elements and stressing that Superman is indeed an alien was a good call. Clark is isolated and alone, which was far more realistic than one would expect. Exceptional fight scenes that put the sheer magnitude of the powers involved on display.

The Bad: During the final battles, the sheer amount of damage done and death was dizzying. It got to the point where I actually said aloud "Why is anyone still in the area?!?!" Some people are annoyed that Superman didn't save everyone, but that was sort of the point ... he can't save everyone. Shannon was up to the task and Zod was very cool, but came across as more than a little ham-fisted at times. I would have liked him to be more of a combination of wits and force instead of relying almost solely on power.
  22. Aug 1, 2013
    A powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and isA powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and is one of the best action/superhero films to come out since The Avengers. Expand
  23. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Super man I have watched! It took me a long time before watching this, cause I dislike most superman movies with the same tired story. I finally watched it, and was surprised how good it was. Expand
  24. Jun 27, 2013
    Haters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman couldHaters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman could have. Amy Adams was always as if she was crying through the whole movie. I will watch the sequel (if they make one). I enjoyed it and it is certainly a film for the cinema and not for the DVD. i liked that it also showed past and now at the same time. Thumbs up! Expand
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    “Man of Steel” could have/should have been called “Superman: Everything You Know About Him, Everything You Don’t Know About Him Along With Many Things You Didn’t Want To Or Need To Know About Him!” Should you be familiar with the comic book Superman or his many TV shows and movies the only reason for seeing this movie is to feast your eyes on a new, hunky, extremely well built, dazzling“Man of Steel” could have/should have been called “Superman: Everything You Know About Him, Everything You Don’t Know About Him Along With Many Things You Didn’t Want To Or Need To Know About Him!” Should you be familiar with the comic book Superman or his many TV shows and movies the only reason for seeing this movie is to feast your eyes on a new, hunky, extremely well built, dazzling actor, named Henry Cavill, who flies into stardom with this role which will lead to interesting comparisons of Cavill versus Christopher Reeve. Along those lines I can picture a panel at a future Superman convention not only discussing the Supermans but Margot Kidder versus Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Marlon Brando versus Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Phyllis Thaxter, Eva Marie Saint versus Diane Lane as Martha Kent and who would win as the better adopted father Glenn Ford or Kevin Costner, the latter in the latest version. Perry White has gone from Jackie Cooper to Frank Langella and now Laurence Fishburne not to forget the question of how does the latest film score by Hans Zimmer stand up against John Williams scores?

The Superman movies have never been known for memorable villains, say like Batman, and Michael Shannon, also from the planet Krypton, does a good job but he is over- shadowed by the mayhem that ensues his battle against Superman. The last hour is glass shattering, cars being tossed around and crushed, buildings being destroyed, shootings, killings and all that makes a movie soar during the summer and it isn’t even summer yet!

After seeing “Iron Man 3”, “Oblivion”, “Fast and Furious 6”, “Star Trek Into Darkness” and now “Man of Steel” there isn’t much in the way of CGI effects that the remaining ‘blockbusters’ can offer so, unless you are a glutton for punishment you can avoid “After Earth”, “World War Z”, “Elysium” and “White House Down” just to name a few.

There is nothing wrong with “Man Of Steel”, except its 2 hour and 23 minutes running time, but there is nothing new in the screenplay by David S. Goyer while the direction is pedestrian. The film goes back and forth between Superman’s childhood on the planet Kyrpton, his being a child in Kansas and the present day. All the actors do good jobs and the film will definitely make Henry Cavill a star. Did I mention how well Superman’s outfit fits him? Or how hunky he looks bare chested?

Oh yes, a reason for seeing this movie may be that you don’t know what you think is an S on his costume and if Lois Lane knows who Superman is. You may or may not know the answer to the first and you may not be sure of the answer to the second but do you really want to know?
  26. Aug 7, 2014
    After the witty, cinematic "Iron Man 3", I was even more excited for "Man of Steel" that was the most awaited summer blockbuster in 2013. Unfortunately, the movie leaves too much to be desired. Superman is one of the most iconic super heroes in the America history but the director Zack Snyder transforms him into a violent, self pretentious **** I'll explain.

Back in 1978, Superman was

Back in 1978, Superman was an intelligent and sympathetic gentleman who was willing to make sacrifices for other people. The first movie was a masterpiece and it still remains a classic, the second was not as good as the first film but still pretty cool, the third was partly boring and unfunny and the the final movie in the franchise reached its peak, providing obviously poor special effects, meaningless plot and dull action. While "Man of Steel" is not as bad as "Superman IV", it still have tons of disadvantages.

Am I the only one who feels that Snyder rips off too many things from other films and games and puts in his movie? Assassins Creed, Star Wars, The Avengers, Inception's theme, Taken, Avatar? Why couldn't he be original? Just saying...

The story (which was told several times) is back again but in a way more modernized and realistic. Who needs realism in a movie where you can see men flying around and destroying countless of buildings? That worked perfectly in Nolan's Batman trilogy because the characters didn't have super powers or superhuman strength. They just resorted to advanced technology. Of course, the cast is there to support the film (Michael Shannon outstands as General Zod) and the chilling music also helps it, yet, all the plot holes and lack of character development prevent the story from scaling the heights.

The dialogue is horrendous. Numbers of times that Jonathan had to say something stupid and uninspiring to Clark like "You're not from this world Clark; When the world finds out what you can do, is gonna change everything;You are my son. But somewhere out there you have another name. And he sent you here for a reason, Clark. And even if it takes you the rest of your life you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is.; You are the answer to 'Are we alone in the universe?'; And I don't blame you, son. It'd be a huge burden for anyone to bear; but you're not just anyone, Clark, and I have to believe that you were... that you were sent here for a reason. All these changes that you're going through, one day... one day you're gonna think of them as a blessing; and when that day comes, you're gonna have to make a choice... a choice of whether to stand proud in front of the human race or not." You see what I'm trying to say? As much poetic these lines can be, they are extremely stupid.

To summarize: Man of Steel provides shinning performances but they aren't enough to make this flick entertaining, due to its overlong
  27. Nov 9, 2014
    Man of Steel may be a preposterous epic with over the top action sequences and a plethora of underused, one sided characters but it is an epic nonetheless.
  28. Dec 14, 2013
    A subpar reboot of an amazing film franchise. The effects and acting are quite good however the story is too complex and Superman is not a sympathetic character.
  29. Apr 22, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  30. May 25, 2014
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders"

Zack Snyder brings us the movie that we have been waiting for Man of steel is story about a young boy that discovers he has super power and is not from earth. This is the most fun iv'e had at the movies this year so far sorry Star Trek. Despite what the critics say about this movie I loved it. I just got out of the theater less then 20 minutes ago and let me say this is the best superman yet. I am a fan of Donners Superman movies 1&2 and I felt this just took it to the next level. This is the superman movie we have been waiting for i know everyone has their own opinion but seriously this the best one yet so glad that they nailed this movies because if they didn't i don't know how long it was going to be before they even tried to reboot the franchise.

I was a little worried about the early reviews for this movie. I as sat through the movie I was waiting for the plot to go dull or the acting to become robotic or for the dialogue to die out but that moment never came. The action was never over the top and i didn't think that it was too heavy i'm not sure how the critics thought that this movie was just turned blockbuster blunder. The story was told perfect this is all you can think while watching it is " I have so many questions" and in way or from throughout the movie it get's told buy. The story was fluid and thought that the flash back never felt lost me nor ever did i feel confused as some of the critics have said about it. I also like how they triggered the flash backs they didn't just throw then in there like some movies have done.

Lets get onto the action, oh man was the action so awesome there was so much destruction. Iv'e read the comics and Iv'e seen the animated movies and that is in those but this was just insane. For me this is the best comic book movie action yes the avengers had it's grand scale but this was another level so many great moments buildings falling all over the place, ships being blown out of the sky seeing krypton being blown up. At no point when i was watching it was i like ok let's tone back some of the action and get back into some story but no i that felt like it was too much that's just me though.

I have been waiting for this movie since 08 and having to wait those five years to finally see it im so glad that it's everything I thought it would be. An amazing action film with hart and soul another thing that the critics thought that this movie didn't have. The cast overall did great and I can't complain about anyone. Henry Cavill (Clark Kent / Kal-El) was perfect he killed it as Kal-El he looks the role, he's likable, he is relatable as a person you can still tell he has moral fiber he wants to be good person and he acts like it he is what i wanted superman to be. Amy Adams did a great Lois Lane, Kevin Costner did an amazing Jonathan Kent really glad they did great with character a lot of the heart felt moments were with him. Michael Shannon as General Zod was great though I was hoping for him to steal the show and take control of his role making it seem like he was the only one that could have done Zod. He doesn't do that but that doesn't take away from him big a super kickass villain.

The visuals in this movie were amazing and it only dawned on me who was behind the special effects till the end of the movie of course it's Weta Digital. They have been seriously stepping up with each movie they been a part of the last couple years. Every time i watch a movie with amazing special effects i look to see who did it and most the time it's them. They have done the special effects for every comic book since X-Men: First Class and i don't need to tell you how great that movie looked not to mention they do all the Peter Jackson films so that's petty much tells how great these guys are. I guess i should mention that they also did James Cameron's Avatar.

I know some people don't like Zack Snyder's but i like the guy his movies are great all but one that is. I also know that some people don't like Watchmen but for me that was one of the best comic book movies iv'e watched and now this one is maybe even going to beat watchmen for my most liked film by him. And really I know some people were maybe expecting a little more Christopher Nolan feel to it but no this is a Zack Snyder film for sure. Some of the shots that are in this movies are just really get the close up of the pencils, the close up on the butterfly on the swing those are some great shots especially the butterfly one that one was beautiful. Also another amazing thing about this film was the score it was breathtaking really some of Hans Zimmer's best work at least for me. I actually pre ordered the deluxe edition online i'm so glad I did that also thought it was better then any of the Dark Knight Trilogy scores.

8.0
  31. Jul 29, 2014
    "Man of Steel" is undeniably an interesting take on Superman's character, but the film eventually fails in delivering much more than superhero muscle and impressive visuals.
  32. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, andThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
  33. Mar 26, 2015
    This movie is more stronger then steel. This movie was far better then superman returns, I mean the actor who played superman was really good and the score was epic.
  34. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it isAfter watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it is in a league of its own). In this regard at least, Man of Steel has been original in that not only a lot of deaths were hinted at, some of them were shown right on screen without any qualms. Call that creative if you will, or whatever, for better or for worse the invincible man himself could not keep every single human being on the planet safe from death.

Henry Cavill is cast as Superman. He is charismatic, charming and good-looking, and perhaps the best cast for the role. Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, the much older love interest. Diane Lane is cast as Kent's mother on Earth. Russell Crowe portrays Superman's biological father, and is seen throughout the movie at key moments. Michael Shannon is General Zod, the villain who equals Superman in strength and skill, essentially rendering the former's physical superiority redundant, for he has followers too which brings the odds of numbers into play the same way any human encounters and confrontations would have.

Nolan's involvement is palpable. A sense of realism was attempted to be incorporated. For example, the name Superman is not uttered until three quarters into the second hour. The buildings collapse as the larger than life opponents battle it out. Cars are crushed and fires break out. It's safe to say that people die in great numbers.

The first hour is mainly about Superman's origins. We get to see Krypton, the alien home-world, for the first time. Unlike the other instalments in the franchise, Kent is nearing middle age before he decides (or is forced by circumstances) to take an active part in saving people openly. Before that, he roams around incognito and changes jobs and identities if he is forced by his good nature to save someone's skin. Some of his childhood on Earth is also explored.

It is around the one and a half hour mark when the larger chunk of the budget for the movie begins to show, and it depletes quickly as the action sequences follow one another in succession until the very end.

The film was an interesting take on the superhero concept. A degree of realism was certainly there. The lead was a good choice. And the whole idea of beings of superhuman strength getting it on with each other in the middle of civilization and spreading carnage indiscriminately was something that would have been virtually impossible to depict on screen before the advent of visual effects. But still something was missing. An ingredient which would have perhaps brought it to a final, perfect conclusion. I can't fault it for it for I could not say what they could have done differently. But I had a good time, if not stellar, so I will rate it accordingly.
  35. Apr 4, 2014
    How the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, andHow the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, and I give credit to all the other screenwriters involved as well. The movie does bog down in too much action towards the end, but since it's all handled spectacularly it doesn't matter much. Man of Steel is no campy comic-book movie. It's a work of art. My faith in the critics has been shaken but not broken. My guess is that the film will be re-evaluated more positively in the future just like Blade Runner or 2001. Expand
  36. Jun 15, 2013
    The opening sequence on Krypton is quite spectacular with some truly stunning CGI and some great dialogue. It sets the scene for the entire story and I think it was just about as perfect a beginning we could possibly have had. We then come down to earth (literally) where we find Clark Kent discovering who he is and coming to terms with his powers and what a responsibility that places onThe opening sequence on Krypton is quite spectacular with some truly stunning CGI and some great dialogue. It sets the scene for the entire story and I think it was just about as perfect a beginning we could possibly have had. We then come down to earth (literally) where we find Clark Kent discovering who he is and coming to terms with his powers and what a responsibility that places on his shoulders. Much of this is told in flashback with some great fatherly advice from Kevin Costner. It’s a section of the film that may have lost some (probably due to the lack of explosions) but I really enjoyed it as it gives us a chance to get to know what motivates Clark/Superman, and just what makes him a superhero. The third act, however, is where I had the most trouble. The plot wasn’t hard to follow and the acting was great, particularly Michael Shannon, no, all that was great. The problem was with the fight scenes; why is it necessary to topple skyscrapers and destroy entire city blocks. It put me in mind of climactic battle in ‘The Avengers’ movie; I had the distinct impression I had seen it all before. Yes, it was quite a spectacle but I would have liked something a little more original. But don’t let that distract from the fact it is still a very good film and one I would happily watch again. Top performances, well everybody really but Michael Shannon really does stand out; definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10
  37. Nov 28, 2013
    It lacks character developement and has repetitive over the top action sequences. However, this reboot of Superman delivers emotionally and follows a sturdy plot for a mostly successful resurrection of a superhero.
  38. Jan 3, 2015
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:

The movie got an awesome beginning with action at a high speed with stunning special effects. The music that Hans Zimmer composed is amazing, just as spectacular as in Interstellar and in his other works. I can't understand those who dislike this wonderful movie, but if you must point finger on someone it got to be Zack Snyder. I mean come on, what kind of unique and great movies has he made, well it can't be the producers (Christopher Nolan) fault. The movie has a great story, and I never feel bored, because there´s nothing to get bored of! I have seen this movie at least 5 times since its premiere and I still love it. The movie got some weak parts though, because there are some places when the CGI could have been better. But there´s still many unique and spectacular things in this movie, but some of them I've already seen in other movies. Another bad thing is that it might be too much fighting near the end, and I also think that they could have done more in the 2 hours and 23 minutes. But the ending though, couldn't have been more awesome as it is, and I can't wait until Batman v Superman comes out. Man of Steel is overall a spectacular, cool and a SUPER-MOVIE.

Man of Steel gets a 9/10.
  39. BKM
    Dec 17, 2013
    The final hour or so of Zack Snyder's Superman reboot nearly results in sensory overload with its relentless action sequences and eye popping special effects. But before it reaches that point, a solid foundation has been built for future installments of the franchise which will hopefully focus more on The Man of Steel's internal conflict and serve up more worthy villains. Bring on Lex Luthor!
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    I'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of theI'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of the Superman's character for the 21st century: an alien immigrant who is a social outcast, who must choose between his adopted world and his true 'race'. It has brilliant supporting casts, notably Costner's amazing performance as Jonathan Kent. Cavill also delivers as a more 'grounded' Superman. The action sequences are reminiscent of 'Japanese Anime', hence the critics 'resistance' to that particular palate: supersonic fights, buildings demolished to smithereens. It made recent set pieces looked anemic in comparison. I watched it with a little boy beside me with his mom. He had that same look that I used to have when I watched the original Superman many years ago: a look of awe and wonder and a belief that a man can really fly. Welcome back Superman..... Expand
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    “Man of Steel” is, as everyone knows, the new Warner Bros. entry using this previously tried and true franchise about the native from the planet Krypton who finds a new home on Earth. Unfortunately, wearing a cape and an S on the front of his shirt is where the similarity ends. Starring Henry Cavill in the title role (an intentional Chrstopher Reeve look-alike), the film also boasts of a“Man of Steel” is, as everyone knows, the new Warner Bros. entry using this previously tried and true franchise about the native from the planet Krypton who finds a new home on Earth. Unfortunately, wearing a cape and an S on the front of his shirt is where the similarity ends. Starring Henry Cavill in the title role (an intentional Chrstopher Reeve look-alike), the film also boasts of a cast consisting of Kevin Kostner, Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishbourne and Michael Shannon. Directed by Zack Snyder and co-written by Christopher Nolan and David Geyer, the failure for the film to work must rest with one or all of the aforementioned gentlemen.. Certainly the writing is the main culprit with a plot that is too complicated and a story that lacks total credibility. As a result, the viewing experience is deeply marred by this overly long movie.. The film’s action scenes are excessive and don’t allow for the story, what there is of it, to be told. Being a fan of the old Superman comics and films, I found this movie to do a tremendous disservice to the property and the image of this almost legendary and timeless superhero. I give the film a 5 because it just doesn”t live up to the potential and hype which preceded its opening day. Expand
  42. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is certainly entertaining but it's actions sequences are so long that it begins to become boring. Honestly my criticism of this film can be summed up to the fact that it takes itself far to seriously.
  43. May 1, 2014
    Actually i can't understand critic's bad scores for this movie! I do think it's too fantastic and could've been A LOT better but frankly' i enjoyed it a lot! Highly recommended
  44. Oct 27, 2014
    this film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Darkthis film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Dark Knight Trilogy were Expand
  45. Jan 3, 2014
    Disappointing but a good movie overall. Zack Snyder make the same mistake which he made in 300, the same thing over and over again in a fight scene. But that's at the end so it's alright. Overall Man of Steel is a good film even if it did not live up to my expectations.
  46. Sep 7, 2014
    I am not a fan of superhero movies, but as they go, especially DC Comics, this is definitely one of the weakest and lightest. However, Man of Steel is still entertaining with really cool CGI.
  47. Jun 16, 2013
    Mature, intelligent, and polished. The planet Krypton chapter was so interesting I could of watched a whole 2 hour movie just in that world. Many familiar faces make a show and it works. Fight scenes are quick and exciting. Certainly worth a franchise reborn.
  48. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It wasThis is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It was about time Superman got a serious film, a decent one. It is darker than what I thought, and that´s another point. The score is absolutely perfect for the movie. Just the whole first part in Krypton alone is surprisingly enjoyable and well put together. Super hero movies can´t really make it to the best films of the year. But damn it, this was the best summer blockbuster of 2013 (Iron Man 3 being the worst, as usual) Definitely. Can´t wait for the upcoming sequels. They got it right guys! Expand
  49. Jun 22, 2013
    Man of Steel is a new reboot for the next Superman series which was done by director, Zack Snyder and the production was hold by Christopher Nolan after he accomplished his Dark Knight trilogy. Before I discuss about the new reboot, this movie is very different like most other classic Superman films. Superman and Superman II are very memorable and most other three Superman movies are quiteMan of Steel is a new reboot for the next Superman series which was done by director, Zack Snyder and the production was hold by Christopher Nolan after he accomplished his Dark Knight trilogy. Before I discuss about the new reboot, this movie is very different like most other classic Superman films. Superman and Superman II are very memorable and most other three Superman movies are quite disappointing and pretty weak. I would say that the movie is very underwhelming. The new story is about Jor-El (Russell Crowe) from Krypton is sending his son Kal-El (known as Clark Kent/Superman) to the planet Earth, which he'll turn into a super strength superhero with energy source, until General Zod (Michael Shannon) will capture the son and the planet Krypton is been destroyed. After that, the son grows up as a new Superman (Henry Cavill) to fight over General Zod and his men to destruct the entire world. As a follow up like most other Superman movies, this movie is pretty weak. The situation is that the story is too complex with too many cut scenes, the acting wasn't that great, and the plot is too rushed. The characters are also forgettable and I would say that the Superman movies or the animated series from the 90's are well done with memorable characters, take time with their motivation, and acting is good. But the new characters in this reboot are too cliché with throwing too much stereotypes into a wooden dialogues. Henry Cavill portrays the new Superman is okay, but not that memorable and this protagonist is an obvious hero who is here to find some answers and act like he is brave or what? There is an obvious Lois Lane (Amy Adams), there is an obvious military soldiers, there is an obvious henchmen, and there is an obvious people from the city or in the small town of Smallville. That is except for two characters like Jor-El play by Russell Crowe and General Zod play by Michael Shannon. Russell Crowe did very well as the father of Superman with good character development and some good back story about him. Michael Shannon is having fun for playing the over the top villain and acting like Terrence Stamp's performance. But like I say the story and the characters are kind of bland and too forgettable. The movie is not that horrible or bad, it's just that the movie is too underwhelm with confusing back stories, the shaky cams are too fast, and the characters are pretty weak. At the same time, this movie is a minuscule of average superhero flicks. Thumbs Down. Expand
  50. Jul 16, 2013
    Overblown with tons of action-packed sequences, "Man of Steel" is able to slightly exceed its lack of humor and much joy in the film. While the film does feel hectic at times, the high flying spectacles and exhilarating action are interesting enough to exceed some faults.
  51. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the most disappointing movies of 2013. It started off brilliant, and quickly slipped into a barrage of pointless action that all seemed the same. Not looking forward to the sequel.
  52. Jul 4, 2013
    Es algo básico teniendo en cuenta que es el super heroe mas importante de todos los tiempos, tiene sus momentos de gran accion y entretenimiento sin embargo aun falta mas trabajo no en efectos porque eso si lo destaco si no en el trayecto como tal de la pelicula
  53. Jun 17, 2013
    “Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit“Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit rushed, and the dialogue comes off as super cheesy almost to the point where I was cringing. However, I am a huge fan of how this film is directed. Zack Snyder does an awesome job with what he has. The action sequences are choreographed amazingly, quit possibly the best action all year. Camera work in this film is really well done and the editing is spot on. There are some really inventive shots and the final fight sequence with Zod is riveting.

The actors do a fine job with their characters. However, no one really stands out aside from Henry Cavill as Superman. While he’s no Christopher Reeve, I really like his take on the character. Amy Adams as Lois Lane is decent, but the way the character is written is kind of weak as I never really cared for her and she came off as a bit forced. Michael Shannon is pretty good as Zod, but the character could have used more screen time. Russell Crowe and the rest of the cast is solid and play their roles well.

Visual effects in this film are top-notch. From Kypton to Earth, everything from a visual standpoint is breathtaking. I’ve always been a fan of Zack Snyder’s visual style in film and here he’s put them to great use. The score on the other hand is okay. While it’s great in the film, it’s rather loud and forgettable.

Overall, “Man of Steel” is a solid piece of cinema and it has me pumped for more Superman movies as well as a potential Justice League film. However, it does fall short in the story department. I felt like I was going from one ride to the next without having a chance to breath. The film has some interesting things to say, but only on a few occasions does it take the time to say it and even then not very clearly. On the bright side though, we get the most action packed Superman movie and quit possibly superhero movie of all time. There’s a lot of fun to be had, but if you’re looking for something deeper and thought provoking this isn’t the place. I give it 3.5/5, weak story that is made better with great action, stunning visual effects, and fantastic direction.
  54. Apr 22, 2014
    This movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed inThis movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed in the movie and belonged there. A great dialogue with stand out performances all made this movie great. Expand
  55. Nov 29, 2013
    man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
    so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
    i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie, and i felt stupid afterward, cause there is so much plots mistakes it's almost unwatchable, unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause
    man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
    so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
    i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie,
    unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause for me everything have to make sense
    and this movie unfortunately does not make any, i mean i felt mad after watching iron man 3 because of plot mistakes,
    after this i can gladly make iron man 3 my favorite movie of 2013.
  56. Jun 15, 2013
    The movie suffers from its own arrogance really. It simply tries waaaay too hard to be epic in almost every scene and honestly it really takes away from the story. The plot is a sort of modern day twist on superman 2 and uses flashbacks to tell superman's past/childhood. The whole scheme really doesn't work all that well. In any case the move is overly dramatic to the greatest extent. It'sThe movie suffers from its own arrogance really. It simply tries waaaay too hard to be epic in almost every scene and honestly it really takes away from the story. The plot is a sort of modern day twist on superman 2 and uses flashbacks to tell superman's past/childhood. The whole scheme really doesn't work all that well. In any case the move is overly dramatic to the greatest extent. It's as if the director, writer, and producer were so caught up in their idea that the movie would be sooo epic that they looked past the fact that it really wasn't epic at all... Expand
  57. Aug 31, 2013
    Always the same things. The Superman movies have to stop someday. Do not see it, because it has nothing new to show. I am very disappointed. That's my opinion.
  58. Aug 18, 2013
    Despite its slightly unbalanced script, this superhero flick still hits its mark with plenty of grandiose special effects, intense action, and engaging performances, making for a highly entertaining Superman reboot.
  59. Nov 10, 2013
    "Man of Steel" is decent enough. Yes, there are problems in this 2-1/2hr epic but overall it gets its job done. My main problems are with the casting of all the major characters (Henry is great but he's too pretty, I wanted a grittier Superman and Zod was not menacing enough), the wholesome childhood, the lack of emotional reaction when he finds out he's from another freakin' world, and"Man of Steel" is decent enough. Yes, there are problems in this 2-1/2hr epic but overall it gets its job done. My main problems are with the casting of all the major characters (Henry is great but he's too pretty, I wanted a grittier Superman and Zod was not menacing enough), the wholesome childhood, the lack of emotional reaction when he finds out he's from another freakin' world, and how Lois Lane can't stay out of scenes. Then there's the very final scene where he joins the Daily Planet which makes absolutely no sense in the context of this re-telling, I mean, the dude just saved the entire planet from some very bad characters so now he takes a menial job at a newspaper. I guess they have to adhere to canon but it's just so unmotivated in 2013. Expand
  60. Jul 10, 2013
    I had doubts for Man of Steel since Superman IV was um, extreme crap. But once again I was proved wrong. Man of Steel is bulked with action and mastered its purpose, kudos to you Zack.
  61. Jun 18, 2013
    This movie had great special effects, but the plot, the characters, the acting, the rest was all just meh. I don't ever feel like I care about any of the characters. There was no amazing performance by any of the actors to blow someone away like Heath Ledger as The Joker. This was just a summer blockbuster to make money, not a good movie and kickoff of a franchise.
  62. Oct 27, 2013
    for me this was the most awaited film this year, my expectation about this movie was on top, but this movie was another big disappointment for me as it was iron man 3.
  63. Dec 25, 2013
    I could care less about how many plot holes there are. Sure, after being written by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zach Snyder, I was expecting something truly amazing. Of coarse, I'm always wrong about these things. It was still good, but not by the crappy acting or the plot holes, but the action. I try to avoid looking at how well the characters are developed, and more onto how theI could care less about how many plot holes there are. Sure, after being written by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zach Snyder, I was expecting something truly amazing. Of coarse, I'm always wrong about these things. It was still good, but not by the crappy acting or the plot holes, but the action. I try to avoid looking at how well the characters are developed, and more onto how the film was directed. It was directed well. Expand
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    The heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since the original, and it is one of the best comic book movies ever. This is a fantastic reboot to the franchise, and a great start to an inevitable Justice League franchise.
  65. Dec 22, 2013
    A typical American movie. Crazy budget, great visuals, lots of explosions but no real substance. The direction is fantastic and the explosions look great in high definition. The underlying premise isn't too shabby but lacks major development. Most of the time anything exciting which happens does so for the sake of it. There seems to be no connection between any of the characters, theA typical American movie. Crazy budget, great visuals, lots of explosions but no real substance. The direction is fantastic and the explosions look great in high definition. The underlying premise isn't too shabby but lacks major development. Most of the time anything exciting which happens does so for the sake of it. There seems to be no connection between any of the characters, the action is far too OTT and there are a number of unexplained events. All that aside, Man of Steel certainly doesn't lack funding. It does however, lack a compelling story and is far too unrealistic to take seriously. Even though it's not bad, you quickly become bored with it all. Expand
  66. Dec 22, 2014
    Dark,Gritty and fun,Superman returns in a brand new Movie reboot "Man Of Steel".Man of steel is a good film with great action and stunning visual effects.The Movie has flaws and some plot holes but the movie is still good in general.
  67. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like when a movies are shouldn't be such blatant PR for Christianity at least not so drench in holy water. Over used main villain but praise to city busting fight scene finally superman has his powers back Expand
  68. Jul 18, 2013
    There is a saying that could summarize this film and "no haste makes perfect", but this film has many attributes to reconsider whether, first the bad points, the script may have been written well, but the film is too rushed in the beginning as it bombards the audience with action and lots of information (for some it may be necessary to see the movie twice to Understand all) and very slowThere is a saying that could summarize this film and "no haste makes perfect", but this film has many attributes to reconsider whether, first the bad points, the script may have been written well, but the film is too rushed in the beginning as it bombards the audience with action and lots of information (for some it may be necessary to see the movie twice to Understand all) and very slow at the end (perhaps a ncessidade to face with the Avengers), but that's it, good points, the direction of Snyder was one of the best things with their cameras capturing different angles average everywhere this technique extremely good, the cast too, with performances by weight as Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner, but it's good to know that Henry Cavil did their role well (though sometimes it may seem too optimistic) and rest also does their role well. Expand
  69. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apart from the impressive effects really nothing to watch in this movie .First half is more like a documentary that totally mismatch to comic book. Christopher Nolan is always poor and he did great part of ruining the superman as well.Its so stupid that miss Lane appears right after superman kill the General Because before that they were fighting and moved away from her in a lightning speed.I believe Super man returns is far more better movie than this.Also absence of defense Secretary and President is a mistake,Writers were assumed that target audience is brain dead and that a kind of mock to their awareness. Expand
  70. Jun 16, 2013
    And yet again, Superman franchise is reborn! The best thing about this movie is Henry Cavill, fits his role perfectly, actually all actors did amazing job! Main plot is good, but the story progression isn't. Action part is probably the best this year so far. It's a ok start for Superman saga, even though it's not flawless!
  71. Jul 19, 2013
    Great special effects, some decent fighting scenes, shaky plot and writing (imo) and good acting. I did find it interesting to see a more "real" feeling put in for superman. The movie focuses a lot on Clark Kent's identity crisis as well as his struggles to find purpose in his life. I never really got invested in it though the opening scene wasn't done very well and it didn't really drawGreat special effects, some decent fighting scenes, shaky plot and writing (imo) and good acting. I did find it interesting to see a more "real" feeling put in for superman. The movie focuses a lot on Clark Kent's identity crisis as well as his struggles to find purpose in his life. I never really got invested in it though the opening scene wasn't done very well and it didn't really draw me in. Add to that some questionable moments written to make the plot work better that detracted from my experience and this is simply an okay movie, instead of a good one. Marvel is still top dog in terms of superhero movies so far, sorry DC Comics. Expand
  72. Jun 30, 2013
    The tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for these problems, the film would amount to nothing more than a generic summer blockbuster. It's worse.
  73. Dec 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great, I don't care what anyone says. No one appreciates this movie because they say it's full of "destruction porn." While I have to agree that the violence is a bit excessive, it is excessive for a reason. This is because this movie is showing an inexperienced and young Superman unlike the experienced and wise Superman played by Christopher Reeve. The Superman in Man of Steel has way more human qualities and has a hard time controlling his powers, which is much more realistic. I also appreciated when Superman killed General Zod in this movie because he was making the very bold and difficult choice of killing the only other and last Kryptonian. You can see he was upset because of his crying after this scene. He had no choice! All of the realism in this movie combined with the awesome effects and solid acting makes Man of Steel get a 9/10 (Awesome). Expand
  74. Mar 2, 2014
    Ugh just no It was aweful I hated it.................save yourself the time...................and don't watch it.............don't lie to me ****......gurl
  75. Jun 22, 2013
    Its a bird, its a plane, no- its a reboot. This makeover is raw steak without the sizzle. For some it may be hard to swallow if you're used to Disney themes. Don't look for the cute puppy scenes to sooth your family with at this film, because the producers/director let the ravenous bulldogs out. Its silently operatic and combined with themes from Inception and Dark Night. -Derrick G
  76. Jul 18, 2013
    Man of Steel proves that Superman is only interesting when he has a decent adversary. Although the final act may be too reminiscent of Avengers Assemble, Man of Steel is well made and well played, especially by Crowe and Costner as the fathers. Too long, perhaps, but the movement between past and present generally work. Overall, much better than expected and reported. So long as Lex LuthorMan of Steel proves that Superman is only interesting when he has a decent adversary. Although the final act may be too reminiscent of Avengers Assemble, Man of Steel is well made and well played, especially by Crowe and Costner as the fathers. Too long, perhaps, but the movement between past and present generally work. Overall, much better than expected and reported. So long as Lex Luthor isn't the only villain in the sequel, the franchise may have a positive future. Expand
  77. Jan 6, 2014
    Better then Superman returns, great plot, average acting, was a lot less cheesy then i expected. While the plot is great it is rather rushed and im not entirely sure how long Lois was searching for Clark making it kinda awkward in my opinion when they kiss near the end of the film
    Overall the film does a great job bring superman to a modern era where superhero movies are a lot more gritty and dark slightly believable.

Man Of Steel is 8/10
  78. Jul 10, 2013
    Yawn... A typical graphics driven action flick, short on story. The fight sequences were far too long and contradictory. One moment someone is being crushed with a freight train, yet is easily choked out the next. I didn't hate it but it never made me care.
  79. Jun 29, 2013
    I don't know what think the professional criticism with this film, but I really enjoy it. Blessed effort Trio: Snyder Goyer Nolan, because they managed to shoot a powerful superhero movie and I'm not surprised that I liked, because principal or not, Mr. Nolan does not disappoint me. Neither Snyder, because somehow manages to entertain us with his movies and this has made him do.
    The
    The new Superman is, for better and for worse, a grand ENTERTAINMENT. The downside may be that the story of Kal-El is well known, the same way you came to the earth and all that, but had the ability Goyer innovarla aesthetic treatment plot, but can lead to messes.
    From the technical standpoint, The Man of Steel is an outstanding film.
    In between, light, fire and much destruction, perhaps too much, I think why not cheer Snyder in his movies. Here nothing but more blood lacks.
    Nostalgia should not prevent us from recognizing the work of the composer bestial header Nolan, Hans Zimmer I mean, always very well shot and seasoned with his music.
    Good deal, good technology and music bill but what Nolan and Goyer have done with Superman? For they have gone beyond the mere update and have given the hero and his entire mythology a more realistic, but more mature severoy.

With that, and especially with everything else, The Man of Steel is, not without doubts a thirtysomething as the undersigned will arouses nostalgia gravitational force exerted by the Richard Donner-tape the best Superman to the date in my opinion. Man of Steel is excessive, in its form and in its duration, overloaded, noisy and with a vocation of seriousness and solemnity that kills that eternal innocence endearing character that Christopher Reeve did. That loses but wins more.
    I think I speak for many when I say that at least this movie is better than the last, Superman Returns, that bore more than entertain.
    But when a verdict, we must not forget that this has only just begun. Still hope to see more.
    My Score: 9.3
  80. Dec 12, 2013
    May not have much heart or many surprises, but the outstanding visuals and pummeling fight scenes make up for that. It's a well deserved modern reboot for the hero.
  81. Aug 22, 2013
    It has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, wereIt has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, were given underdeveloped characters. Overall, awesome action scenes is what saved this movie from being a total mess. They are that awesome. Expand
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    I think the flaws in this movie were exaggerated. I did not see anything majorly wrong with this film. Henry Cavill was destined to be Superman. Man of Steel is, in my opinion, the best Superman movie made.
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    Man Of Steel. First word to describe it is WOW. Some of the best action and special effects I have ever seen, jaw dropping stuff. Also some really big ideas and themes of being a God among men. I really liked Cavill as Superman as well. However I can't help but compare to things like The Dark Knight and Avengers, and its not as good. It doesn't have the true darkness of Batman and doesn'tMan Of Steel. First word to describe it is WOW. Some of the best action and special effects I have ever seen, jaw dropping stuff. Also some really big ideas and themes of being a God among men. I really liked Cavill as Superman as well. However I can't help but compare to things like The Dark Knight and Avengers, and its not as good. It doesn't have the true darkness of Batman and doesn't have the wit and charm of Avengers. I don't think Man Of Steel has one joke and as good as the action is, maybe there is just too much which takes away the impact. However I still really enjoyed it and it has to be seen at the cinema. Expand
  84. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of steel doesn't need the typical introduction that I usually give a film, because this is just a retelling of the original tale. Although the main difference is the villain; who is General Zod, and is told in a different way. I was excited for this movie for a while, but when the trailers started showing up; especially the: "How does Superman shave?", I started loosing interest.Man of steel doesn't need the typical introduction that I usually give a film, because this is just a retelling of the original tale. Although the main difference is the villain; who is General Zod, and is told in a different way. I was excited for this movie for a while, but when the trailers started showing up; especially the: "How does Superman shave?", I started loosing interest. Seeing in how it looked like it was more focused on visuals than stories, and I wasn't too far off. With that said, this is pretty epic. Of course the visual effects are very pretty to look at, the planet Krypton is both mystic and futuristic. However the effects for the action scenes are the major problems. For a while I enjoyed watching them, but after seeing over a half an hour of superman punching people and them punching back, it gets really old and doesn't look convincing. Mainly the chick that hangs around Zod the most does this sort of super dash, which is annoying. Speaking of Superman, the actor they got was ok. He doesn't do anything that makes him likeable; I'd better explain myself before I get hated. I know he saves people which make him instantly likeable, but he doesn't have a interesting personality. Sure he protects people, but when he's not he is just sort of this serious boring guy. The other actors however were better; in my opinion, especially the guy they got for General Zod. It's a good performance; he does take some traits from the original: Terence Stamp, the character is a bit different though, but for the better I thought. It is strange in how I think they shouldn't have changed Superman's personality and yet changing Zod's is good, but at least here it makes him into an understandable villain. He was raised to be a warrior by the Kyptonian way, and is now protecting the future of the Kryptonian race. Also it's funny that Russel Crowe is like Marlon Brando from the original, in that there big stars only in minor parts, and he does okay. He doesn't take up the scene, but he does have this wise man routine down pretty well. The other supporting cast like Lois are fine; in that she doesn't male any negative impressions, but nothing great. With all that said, I still enjoyed watching this movie. I like the action at certain parts, the drama is good and is even great at times, and the actors do an okay job overall. This is definitely worth your money. Expand
  85. Jul 2, 2013
    i had rather high expectations for this, and I must concede myself disappointed. The movie does not flow as a well-made film should, and there are many innaccuracies and oversights that make the fi;m difficult to watch. Coupled with the overlong running time, ridiculously extended battle scenes, and the 3 separate 'final' battles, you end up feeling like you just want it to end. As ani had rather high expectations for this, and I must concede myself disappointed. The movie does not flow as a well-made film should, and there are many innaccuracies and oversights that make the fi;m difficult to watch. Coupled with the overlong running time, ridiculously extended battle scenes, and the 3 separate 'final' battles, you end up feeling like you just want it to end. As an action movie, it's a decent one at best. Expand
  86. Sep 25, 2013
    When it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superheroWhen it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superhero of all time. However, as with other Superman-based movies, it's easy to see how this promising new-beginning could all come crashing down. Mr. Zack Snyder: tread carefully. Expand
  87. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one word that best describes this movie. Disappointing.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie. It's actually quite good. The issue is that this movie was meant to be a revival for the Superman franchise, one that excited its audience and built a lot of anticipation for a soon to follow sequel. Instead, it just acts as another normal superhero movie. That's all.
    There are a
    There is one word that best describes this movie. Disappointing.

There are a few things that are outstanding in this movie. For example, the sound design is amazing. Everything from the music to the sound of buildings collapsing and lasers firing was spot on. It really helped to add more depth to the action scenes, which were numerous and awesome. This, however, is one of the issues with the movie. There are way too many actions scenes. It's odd, really. Usually one would think that the point of an action movie is to have a lot of action all the time. However, Man of Steel just takes it way too far. The basic formula of the movie is actions, flashback, action, flashback, action, flashback, so on and so forth. It got to the point where the action scenes began to bore me, which is never a good thing.

Another flaw with this movie was the acting, which was at times laughable, especially due to some rather awkward one liners, such as "evolution always wins". This is more a gripe with the movie and less an actual complaint, but it is something I noticed.

The other minor issues involve spoilers, so I won't bother.

All in all, the movie is definitely worth seeing. It is a good movie, no doubt, hence the score of a 7. It just doesn't quite live up to the quality of other movies in the same genre.
  88. May 6, 2014
    I dont get the hate on this movie... i think its really good. A bit dark and a bit to over the top with the action. But the story is great and Cavil is great as superman
  89. Jun 16, 2013
    I rewatched superman returns and i gave it another try..i have to admit i was tired when i first tried it..its not the terrible mess its portrayed as...
  90. Jul 7, 2013
    I felt that they built this movie up too much to really enjoy thoroughly. It felt like they were trying to use the Dark Knight Trilogy's style but it didn't work for this movie. The story flashbacks were too short and happens every so often. The new superman: Henry Cavill, makes it better than Brandon Routh did that is for sure. It is too long of a film to really pay attention too, forI felt that they built this movie up too much to really enjoy thoroughly. It felt like they were trying to use the Dark Knight Trilogy's style but it didn't work for this movie. The story flashbacks were too short and happens every so often. The new superman: Henry Cavill, makes it better than Brandon Routh did that is for sure. It is too long of a film to really pay attention too, for it's quality. I will still see the sequel if they make one which they probably will. Expand
  91. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a pretty good retailing of Superman, even though I'm not that much of a Superman fan, however I think it was mostly the beginning of this film that I enjoyed. It did a very good job at telling the origin story of Superman and I thought it had some actually really good scenes; it had some nice emotional moments and other moments that I really liked. Unfortunately this movie that was going alright fell a bit flat around the middle. I mainly thought some of the action shown near the ending was a little to much. I mean that city near the end was a little over done. There were tons of explosions and destroyed buildings and I just thought that is mainly where the film was struggling, just trying to do way too much at the end. So the beginning was going well but that ending is kind of what killed the movie overall for me. However, it may just be because I'm not much of a Superman fan; so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you should see this movie or not. Expand
  92. Jan 26, 2015
    I know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give thisI know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give this anything less than a 7/10. However, I hoped for a stronger startup to the DCU, and as a result, I do not think this film should be the catalyst for the DCU. I just can't imagine a Justice League movie being as dark as this. Expand
  93. Jul 16, 2013
    55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I understand drama and art-house lovers may find this movie offending for their sensitive feelings, but I believe they are just a minority from crowd. Definitely worth wachig. I also reccomend critics to rethink their marks. Expand
  94. Jan 30, 2014
    In the year's biggest disappointment Man Of Steel manages to give us the trailers, hype and intimate story we like being from Chris Nolan. However everything you saw in the trailers have been mashed into a superhero epic that has pacing problems, narrative problems and it's an unfortunate mess. There are a few things to like here, but it's in the final hour of excrutiating overlong actionIn the year's biggest disappointment Man Of Steel manages to give us the trailers, hype and intimate story we like being from Chris Nolan. However everything you saw in the trailers have been mashed into a superhero epic that has pacing problems, narrative problems and it's an unfortunate mess. There are a few things to like here, but it's in the final hour of excrutiating overlong action that is the regurditation of a draining party. Expand
  95. Jul 11, 2013
    Man of Steel is a great return for Superman. Great in many aspects and particularly in the beginning half where the back-story is explained.

Acting here is good in some parts, bad in others. Everyone except Lois Lane was fine considering this is an interpretation of superman, not a translation. What I thought was unbelievable is Lois Lane and Superman falling for each other. A crush is plausible but Superman is here, there and everywhere. So how can a crush turn into love when he's hardly around Lois to develop anything? Story is also quite good except, again, Lois Lane appearing and going to places she'd never get near. The emotional content around what happens to Krypton is very, very good.

A superhero movie that focuses on emotion, story, spectacle, and enjoyment is what I wanted out of this. It delivers.
  96. Jun 29, 2013
    First of all, I'm in no way a fan of Superman. I haven't watched the previous movies, nor have I read the comics. In fact, I find the character pretty dull an outdated he's way too overpowered, too allmighty. But this movie is a different case. As for the plot, it's still pretty average, not always logical and somewhat too serious, BUT the action here is stellar. From the astonishingFirst of all, I'm in no way a fan of Superman. I haven't watched the previous movies, nor have I read the comics. In fact, I find the character pretty dull an outdated he's way too overpowered, too allmighty. But this movie is a different case. As for the plot, it's still pretty average, not always logical and somewhat too serious, BUT the action here is stellar. From the astonishing opening sequence to the epic in all means final battle the action here is the best I've seen in a long while. Seriously, no one, not the Transformers, and not even the Avengers have destroyed half a city in such a spectacular way. Superman and his foes exchange devastating blows, throw trains at each other and punch through buildings, and that really gives the chills. Another chill-giving aspect is the soundtrack Hans Zimmer just couldn't fail in this department, the score is purely epic. To sum up, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer (director, producer and screenwriter, just in case), considering a pretty weak and bland character they were using as a base, performed admirably, making one of the best blockbuster movies I've seen in a while. Just don't expect a cult classic like the Dark Knight. Expand
  97. Mar 18, 2014
    well,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes savingwell,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes saving people. nonetheless this movie is not bad Expand
  98. Jun 19, 2013
    With one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the man of steel. I was hoping for much more than just your average popcorn action movie. I love action movies but i understand others when they said theWith one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the man of steel. I was hoping for much more than just your average popcorn action movie. I love action movies but i understand others when they said the action seemed to dull down other elements such as who the characters are, why they are important, and why they do what they do. Expand
  99. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  100. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course, while all this is going on, the evil (and programmed) General Zod threatens Earth’s very existence. The first part of the film is filled with someMan of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course, while all this is going on, the evil (and programmed) General Zod threatens Earth’s very existence. The first part of the film is filled with some excellent Clarke Kent and Krypton back stories that were elevated by the performances of Kevin Costner (Jonathon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El); the two father’s of this film. I must give Henry Cavill a hand for maintaining the win streak of fantastic Superman performances. While Christopher Reeve captured the charm of Superman and Brandon Routh did a slightly brooding interpretation, Cavill excelled at capturing the physicality of the Man of Steel. With all these high marks remaining constant; the beautiful introduction gave way to bloated, explosive action sequences. The action was unhinged and needed some serious taming, because it didn’t afford the filmmakers anytime to develop our other characters or elevate the plot. And the story itself, as effective as it may be, didn’t really cover any new ground. This Zack Snyder is a director who can always create a nice looking film, the world of Krypton in particularly is brought beautifully to the screen. He’s also always able to focus on those minute visual details like those frame-for-frame shots from Watchmen and 300 that were taken straight from the comic book. In this case I-Hop restaurants and other familiar settings litter the background of every scene to make the audience aware of the ‘real world’ setting in which this movie takes place. These are all nice splashes, but ultimately he is never able to look at the big picture: Story, Plot and Character! These are the things that truly determine the strength of a film, everything else is secondary. It’s unfortunate that the action and aesthetics took precedence, but this was decent summer entertainment that should be seen on the big screen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.