7.6

1. Jun 24, 2013
    I was super hyped about this movie, but started doubted if it was going to be good from seeing the critics hate on it. But boy were they wrong this movie is AMAZING! Not as good as the Dark Knight movies but still a hundred times better than Superman Returns. Also this movie has superb action (you finally get to see Superman kick some ass!) and emotion, and a great villain, and they don'tI was super hyped about this movie, but started doubted if it was going to be good from seeing the critics hate on it. But boy were they wrong this movie is AMAZING! Not as good as the Dark Knight movies but still a hundred times better than Superman Returns. Also this movie has superb action (you finally get to see Superman kick some ass!) and emotion, and a great villain, and they don't shove all the love stuff with Lois Lane down your throat, it's natural. Overall best Superman movie, and best origin story (for a superhero, but Batman Begins is still amazing) Expand
  2. Jun 27, 2013
    Haters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman couldHaters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman could have. Amy Adams was always as if she was crying through the whole movie. I will watch the sequel (if they make one). I enjoyed it and it is certainly a film for the cinema and not for the DVD. i liked that it also showed past and now at the same time. Thumbs up! Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finally a good Superman movie that is grounded in the real world while still being about a God like Alien. Also nice to see Zod having a legitimate reason for what he is doing and making Superman have some hard choices. Bring on the next one. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel at the IMAX 3D. It was the best rendition of superman I have ever seen. The acting, storyline, and graphics was epic! I can't wait to see it again! My favorite movie this far! I recommend everyone see this film.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    First things first, I loved this movie! It has it's flaws but still a great film to watch. I was actually very impressed with Henry Cavill. He did an amazing job as superman. Overall the acting was superb, though maybe not the best script ever. The action was epic in scale but it didn't have the same weight as The Avengers' action did, it felt a bit generic and bland. Overall thisFirst things first, I loved this movie! It has it's flaws but still a great film to watch. I was actually very impressed with Henry Cavill. He did an amazing job as superman. Overall the acting was superb, though maybe not the best script ever. The action was epic in scale but it didn't have the same weight as The Avengers' action did, it felt a bit generic and bland. Overall this film has much of everything, emotion, action and some humor. Great film Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    Watched again yesterday. And still giving it a 10. Just amazing movie. And a first movie I go to see twice in the theatre. Just great, really opened up more with the 2nd viewing. Zod is a great villain!
  7. Jun 23, 2013
    It's not a masterpiece that will go on to win the Oscars next year. But it's the biggest, loudest, action packed movie that Superman deserved. It definitely has the Snyder touch, and you can see Nolan's influence in it too.
    The pacing is good (not great though) and it keeps some balance at least for the first half of the movie. Then we get to see some good old school Superman action, with enemies that can fight toe to toe with him.
    The supporting cast is good, the story flows, sometimes a little forced, but overall it's a great movie.
  8. Jun 24, 2013
    So I finally saw this movie today and I must admit that it was really everything that I wanted in a Superman movie. Henry Cavill was Superman, even though I really liked Brandon Routh, he just wasnt given the right medium to really fully embody the character that Cavill played in this film.

Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane, with her larger than life reporter. She was given little time to grow as a character but I am sure if there is a sequel then that will give her more time to shine.

The actor who played Zod was very good. I mean I will always have a place in my heart of Terrence Stamp, but this new Zod was very good.

Russel Crowe as Jor-El was very well played and not over acted at all.

Overall this was a very interesting and refreshing new take on Superman, and I hope there is something more coming down the pipeline on this one
  9. Jun 27, 2013
    Instead of telling all obvious good things about this movie, I will just say that i will watch it again tomorrow. I have NEVER done this with any movie. And this is coming from a person who was never a big fan of Superman.
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This is what I call the Prometheus syndrome. Many hate it, but many loved it, and I loved Man of Steel, even though I am aware of some of it's problems- the same with Prometheus, but I don't think it brings down the film as much as it has been made out to be. This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from the start, as I had never been fully keen on Zack Snyder's work, I always found that they were good, but never great, with films such as Watchmen and the Owls movie- or they were just plain awful... Sucker Punch. This is, by far, Snyder's best work, and although many haven't liked the action- it flew by for me- the whole film whizzed past actually, while for most it seemed to drag. This film made me feel like a kid, as at one point I was sitting with my mouth wide open at the scale of the thing, and I literally jumped out of my seat when Superman himself, or Kal-El I should say, started throwing down in the air, against Zod.

Another concern I had did come to fruition, with many saying David S. Goyer will bring greatness to the project, but actually he has written some awful movies, and when people said 'He wrote The Dark knight Rises'- this is incorrect, he did the story for it. Films that he has written recently would be 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance', 'Jumper' and 'The Unborn'. Three awful films, that although the script isn't as bad as I am making it out to be, there are a few weird lines that pulled me out of the scene. I liked the structure Goyer gave, although it did lack some depth, I felt like I got enough to become emotionally connected to the characters.

The two strongest parts of the film would probably be the performances, and also the effects. I normally would criticize a film for one of it's strongest parts being the effects. But this is probably some of the best effects work I have ever seen. In this kind of scale anyway. As this film is big, and there is a hell of a lot of carnage.

Sure when you think about it. A lot of people died. But hey. Superman. it's all that's needed to be said. Bad argument, I know. But... Superman.

As part of the effects work, this also some of the best action I have personally ever witnessed, in scale and execution. It's crazy. I have heard that many simply turned off and got numbed by it, but I was the guy who wanted more. As I said earlier, I honestly felt like a kid watching my favorite comic books moments coming to life. Properly.

Here's a rundown of the performances:

Henry Caville- He plays a great Superman, and although the character was lacking in the script department, I definitely connected with him. And he WAS Superman.

Michael Shannon- He worked for me, and I preferred his reasons to go to Earth. There is an established reason for what he is doing, and he believes what he is doing is for the better. It is not I'm a bad guy. Blah. Although anyone could have really played the character, it wasn't a stand out role, but served a purpose.

Russell Crowe- Awesome. Krypton scenes- some of the best of the film. Amazing stuff there. And he is perfect.

Amy Adams- Good Lois Lane. She is given some weird lines though that doesn't suit the tone of the film, e.g. 'What if I need to tinkle?' Also the Superman-Lane relationship is a little rushed, and could have been left to a later film.

Kevin Costner- Again, great, although almost a bit underused. But he is almost the underlying hero of the film.

Diane Lane- Also good etc.

In other words. Go see it. Here, The Prometheus Syndrome, comes into effect. And today we see the creation of The Man of Steel Syndrome.
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most enjoyable movies this summer so far. Critics have no idea what they're talking about. The soundtrack was a little overpowering at times, but that's all I have to say about this movie in a bad way. This movie is action-packed, has really good acting, and pretty good presentation. I think that some people don't really like the way Zod is defeated in battle, when Supes cracks his neck, and I understand that. But he really didn't want to. He had to save that innocent family from dying. I would've done the same thing if I was him. It takes a little while to get some where, but you will not regret going to see this movie, I promise. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    Words can't even begin to describe how awesome this movie is!Heartbreaking performances,outstanding fights scenes and CGI.Man of Steel reaches perfection.EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant with awesome acting and awesome effects this film is the best film of 2013 and that's is not arguable at all. I don't see why the critics are saying sores like 53 out of 100 as that's wrong and they should change their scores to 90 at least.
  14. Jun 18, 2013
    Finally a superhero movie with superhero worthy action scenes. I felt like it was taken straight from a comic book. The special effects are perfect and there's a great cast. I would have liked more development of superman;s character, but that is a small complaint compared to the epic fight scenes and solid storytelling. 9/10
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    I went into this movie with high expectations. And wow was I pleased. The work done on this movie was phenomenal.
    People have issues with the casting for a few characters, but I will say that it was perfect. The movie nailed it. And I can not wait to see a new one.

My only problem was that it was short, and if the movie was longer, then there would have been more character development. Other than that I had no issue.

I love new and dark approach to the heroes of the DC Universe, and I pray that the rest of the heroes and heroine have the same feeling.

This movie has the story, the characters, the acting and the action.

16. Jun 14, 2013
    I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, heI had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, he has successfully made the Man Of Steel relevant and above all human. With a strong cast including Russel Crowe as Jor-El, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and of course Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. Michael Shannon makes a truly menacing General Zod that you actually respect for his notions but understand his questionable motives. Overall, Man Of Steel is a pleasant surprise filled with plenty of little Easter eggs for DC fans to look out for. This is one summer blockbuster you won't want to miss, Zack Snyder has created another epic superhero masterpiece. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Very, very well made movie. Despite the last forty minutes being one straight up action scene, the first one hundred are excellent insights into Clark Kent's troubled character. Not to mention a climax that will leave you agape.
  18. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel takes from Superman lore the aspects that fans of the original films have been dreaming about for over 3 decades.

Superman II is the film that really grabbed my imagination from the original motion pictures during my youth. It excited me like nothing else had before. It was the baddie film. Superbeings fighting and throwing each other through Coke signs! Despite the Lester/Donnar pollution, the film is iconic. Not least for Terrance Stamps role as General Zod and the über-sexy Sarah Douglas as Ursa.

This retelling of the franchise, grounded in the Zod story arc is just an incredible proposition for fans like me.

To open on the visualisation of the birth of the Man of Steel is brilliant story telling. The old story is fresh and new straight away. The film gives us enough on screen, and, coupled with 'the good jist', the story romps along without treading to closely on old worn ground and risk growing stale whilst stumbling over a back-story most of the audience will know.

All grown up and Superman who is known, excellently, as Kal-El throughout the film, is unsure of himself, new, or initially without, good knowledge of his past he appears a vulnerable lost soul. His powers are unrealised and he simply uses his moral compass (and some good hear-say)to direct him to an answer, if there is one...and there is *thumbs up* Then gets real.

Michael Shannon's portrayal of General Zod is nothing short of sensational. His character is not the 'Bad' guy in the usual sense of the word. He is a creation of a society who's morals are questionable 'even' by our human standards and he is driven in his beliefs and is all the more dangerous for it.

Henry 'Kal-El' Cavill is brilliant. The character is written so well you can identify with this vision of Superman like never before. With Cavill you feel that we are all along for the same ride and we like where it is going.

Amy Adams is perfectly cast as Lois Lane. She is a remarkable actress and this role seems naturally made for her. The relationship between Lois and Superman is fresh and uncertain. I enjoyed the story arc but missed a little chemistry between the two and the last kiss didn't impact on me and, looking back, I thought it should have. Teed up nicely for the sequel though I have no doubt.

I did have a couple of winces and the biggie for me was the 'Jesus Christ' shot of Kal-El departing the spacecraft following a final farewell to his father, Jor-El. I am not a massive follower of every Superman comic in print. I have a collection but would not consider myself an expert. So I cannot say whether this imagery is integral for the die hard comic fans'. For me, it is not needed, the symbolism of religious connotation is obvious if you 'want' look for it, without it being rammed down our throats so crassly.

Another stab came from the military subordinates' question regarding terraforming. In order to better explain the situation (spoonfeed the audience) a soldier/officer pipes up and asks "What's Terraforming". I truly believe that the majority of fans and people in general will have heard of the word terraforming and have a grasp on, essentially, what it is. A better put 'explain please' question would have been, in response to "They're terraforming" would be "How are they doing it"?

Good eyes also, on intrepid reporter Lois Lane, to spot a shadowy figure on her digital camera preview screen!?!

Influentially I think that Christopher Nolan was on the bus but Zach Snyder and David Goyer were definitely in the driving seat. The pace of the film is relentless, I thought that the 3rd act needed to take breath before the final showdown to prepare the audience a little more for the upcoming clash. And... What a battle. What a fight. Nothing was spared, those buildings were empty by then, smash 'em up and ..oh and *He breaks his freakin' neck* Evolution or extinction? Right there the Superman character took a massive evolutionary leap forward.

Man of Steel is visually stunning with an incredible soundtrack. The 3D aspect is good. I thought that the effect worked best during close up shots especially between Jor-El and his wife Lara before launching the capsule. I am not a fan of the art at all so I would have preferred a 2D viewing (not possible at our local cinema) So I look forward to that fresh viewing on a beautiful Steel-book Blu-Ray with a flawless transfer...I hope.

Leaving the cinema, I immediately wanted turn round, sit down and watch it again (Very rare since I was probably 16) and took with me the message that I got from the film and that was; We can be better. We all, really can be 'Superman' if we choose to be. And that's not bad.

I don't often dole out top marks. Many people believe that a 10/10 or 5 Stars is not the done thing? 'No such thing as a perfect film'! But when a film comes along that has so much riding on it and is much more than the sum of it's parts and is really bloody good then really; Fair Play, Sold!

Suffice it to say that Man of Steel is a benchmark Summer Blockbuster classic.
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    A cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fansA cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fans have already said to ignore critics as most of their reviews are very harsh. I agree with the fans. Many of the critics compare this movie to the original superman movies as they said that those movies had more heart and humor. To me, this is very unfair and biased as they can't accept the fact that this is a reboot and thus a different Superman from the one that they remember from the original films. This new Superman is grounded, and more serious Expand
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    Upon hearing general zod as the main villain....I was a bit dissapointed.....but well, after seing the trailer....I guessed MoS still have hope to be decent movie....but after seeing this movie....THIS IS THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE YETTTTT!!!!!!! Pure Action..... I never like Superman stories being told with stupid drama and romance like Superman Returns....I don't care about those critics too
  21. Jun 19, 2013
    Do not listen to the critics.. this is by far the best superman movie till date!!
    The action is phenomenal and Henry Cavill has done an amazing job, he is Superman!

I wasn't not a huge Superman fan to be honest but after watching this movie I am now!
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    I went into this film with the taste of the ABYSMAL "superman returns" in my mind like a lingering cringe worthy memory from my teen years that I would never shake, what I got to my surprise was a movie that had NO BAD ACTING. Let me reiterate, NO... BAD...ACTING... even the criminally underused actors didn't in any point in time under or over act their roles, and this is a movie with moreI went into this film with the taste of the ABYSMAL "superman returns" in my mind like a lingering cringe worthy memory from my teen years that I would never shake, what I got to my surprise was a movie that had NO BAD ACTING. Let me reiterate, NO... BAD...ACTING... even the criminally underused actors didn't in any point in time under or over act their roles, and this is a movie with more than enough respectable names in supporting roles. I think the best way of describing it as, would be a "sci-fi" superman as opposed to a "comic book superman" this isn't the avengers, where a city is invaded and little to no casualties occur, this is people being killed and "the boy scout" having to step up and make a choice between the people he longs to connect with, or humanity whom he's afraid to try to connect with. The very magnitude and serious handling of these drives make for the first recent origin movie of one of the biggest DC superheroes to be worthy of being just that, while everyone can of course respect the old romps that were the christopher reeve films, this transcends those early camp beginnings and offers up something that is truly special. The irony is that those that seem to be scoring this movie low, seem to be of the kind that would prefer another hackneyed love story with a silly bit of action a la superman returns. This is not a romantic drama fan-fic esque terribad film with cheesy acting and campy villains however.. this film is a real bona fide epic. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    MILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all greatMILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all great movie, one of the best movie of the year along with star trek and I am looking forward to Justice League!! Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2013
    Gets better each time you watch it. I understand the critics' and their need to see more character development, but with the powers that the characters possess, they needed it to be realistic, i.e., globally impacted. The sequel will redeem Zack and Henry.
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    An awesome use of special effects to create the best superman movie to date. Along with the almost never ending action the fight scenes in the film are the best I have ever seen in our cinema to date.

26. Jun 15, 2013
    Finally Superman was given a just reboot! Henry Cavill plays the role well and is perfectly fit for the it. The screenplay was well-written, decent. Visual effects were fantastic while sound and editing were well done. The cast delivered beyond satisfactory. A motion picture-of-the-year material. Man of Steel is this decade's The Dark Knight (2008).

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I went to watch this movie but I was blown away by it. It is a very Serious movie and I love that. I find Iron man and the avengers to funny and they have many lines that pander to kids. This movie was great in every way. I loved the tone atmosphere and acting was great too. You must see this movie if your an adult.
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie isnt perfect but it definitely is a good start for where they want to head with this. I am happy to say that it is in the right direction.

The ACTING was superb by everyone, just the actors on Krypton had be engaged. I like how they world builded Krypton instead of it being a boring white planet like the past movies... The ACTION was great but I dont understand the hate

The ACTION was great but I dont understand the hate for the too much when it was Zod vs Superman; I'm sorry but if you have two or more Kryptonians fight, the environment around them id bound to get immensely destroyed.

The STORY was a great origin story, but I can understand some people not on board with the whole flashback way but for me it workds. The way it was intertwined with present events worked well imo.

My only complaint will have to be some of the pacing, it wasnt awful but it could be improved, there were just some parts when you are waiting for things to happen but it wasnt that bad. The pacing was just fine.

I think the critics are wrong for comparing this to Donner bc
    1) Its a reboot,
    2)Donner didnt make Superman.
    You should definitely walk in with an open mind forgetting Donner and instead expect a movie that goes by the comics instead of the Donner films for once.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just pure beauty....coming from a marvel man myself. I loved how Snyder captures the connection between Clark and his earth dad...and how its over ins tornado accident...as he watched his dad needlessly die even though he could help his dad risked his life for clarks safety PURE BEAUTY Expand
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel (2013) is a modern day take on the Superman lore, it introduces the viewers to Superman's past and his birth on Planet Krypton. The movie wastes no time and plunges the viewer into great action set pieces, while building the foundation for the movies lore.

The characters are believable and their performances are very solid for this type of movie. The so called critics who slam the movie for not having enough humor or for over the top action or for whatever unprofessional reason are completely unfounded in their "arguments" and just prove how arrogant non objective they are, this is not 1970's, hero movies must retain a serious tone to be relevant nowadays.

For the type of movie this is, it is a 8/10 any day of the week! It is by far the most ambitious take on a Superman movie, and it whole heartily succeeds.

Go see this movie if you are a action/science fiction/superhero fan. You won't be disappointed.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.