7.6

1. Jul 29, 2014
    "Man of Steel" is undeniably an interesting take on Superman's character, but the film eventually fails in delivering much more than superhero muscle and impressive visuals.
  2. Jul 28, 2014
    This movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where he made you hate his character Expand
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    Man of Steel is essentially the post origin story of Super Man, his origin is also included but this film primarily focuses on whether or not he should announce himself to the human race or live his life in secrecy. As the movie progresses it eventually evolves into the story of how Super Man is on a quest to save earth's genocide from the classic superman villain General Zod.

Henry
    Cavill plays the role of Clark Kent/Kal-El, or in other words Super Man. His performance doesn't stand out but it is worthy in its own right. Amy Addams also stars as the infamous reporter Louis Lane. Adams performance was better than mediocre but it certainly does not exemplify her true talent.

Zach Snyder (300) directed Man of Steel, which is a decision I highly disagree with. If DC wanted to make Man of Steal into the movie the Dark Knight was or even what the first trailer promised, Warner Brothers would need a new director. Zach Snyder brings his signature style with him but it translates very poorly to Super Man universe. His over stylized action sequences accompanied by the lackluster script reveal a major feeling of mediocrity.

I am going to divide this film in half, the first half exemplified everything I wanted in a Super Man movie; it was gritty, Super Man felt vulnerable (as much as a character such as him can), and everything was down to earth. The second half completely through out what the first had accomplished and put two immortal beings fighting each other for the better part of an hour. It was explosion after explosion that soon wore me out and lost the bulk of my attention.

The overwhelming feeling I got when I came out of the theater was how it completely wasted its potential. The first half set the premise in such a high fashion for it to only be ruined in the second and third act. The whole film just came off as disappointing which is a huge shame because it could have been so much more.
  4. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט הסופרמן הכי טוב עד עכשיו, מבוים בצורה גאונית על ידי זאק סניידר, לא להחמיץ ללא ספק אחד מסרטי גיבורי העל הכי טובים עד היום. פתיחה נהדרת לדיסי יוניברס,
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  6. Jun 23, 2014
    I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
  7. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have watched all the 5 previous Superman films. Superman II was the best, followed by I, III, Returns and IV.
    Review: This is unfortunately another failure at rebooting the franchise as had happened with Superman Returns. The problem with this film, as with Returns is that it is simply DULL. OMG! Things move so slowly! There is poor chemistry between Superman and
    Lois and the action scenes were overdone till they were boring.
  8. Jun 12, 2014
    the movie is great , before the release of the movie i was not very much interested because i did not like superman returns but it was way better than that it has jaw dropping visuals why the hell the critics gave the movie a very low score but this movie movie deserved a very high score i would give the movie 8 but because is was underrated i give the movie a 10
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    One of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship between Clark and Louis needs work because to be honest you won't care about it. Overall it has good acting, story,plot, and GCI. Its worth the buy. Expand
  10. Jun 2, 2014
    Movie even worse second time, you start ti wonder why do they do this? CGI nightmare, stolen scenes from other movies. Like 4th of July, Doc Oct, Loki mop scene fro. avengers, big robot looking villain walking down small town scene.

The acting was terrible, I think one of the worse lois lane characters ever, Perry White awful and bad scenes. Same story written again about supermans
    beginning boring.

Everyone knows who superman is the cops even went by his house. The fact that he didn't save his father was crazy period.

CGi awful, a lot of destruction, even the Characters in front if the CGI background looked more like a game then a movie. Just nit good. Not sure why it gets some good reviews at all?

The story was bad, from the beginning. Typical Hollywood goons can't make a DC franchise good. Enough of the origins of superman already.
  11. May 25, 2014
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders"

Zack Snyder brings us the movie that we have been waiting for Man of steel is story about a young boy that discovers he has super power and is not from earth. This is the most fun
    iv'e had at the movies this year so far sorry Star Trek. Despite what the critics say about this movie I loved it. I just got out of the theater less then 20 minutes ago and let me say this is the best superman yet. I am a fan of Donners Superman movies 1&2 and I felt this just took it to the next level. This is the superman movie we have been waiting for i know everyone has their own opinion but seriously this the best one yet so glad that they nailed this movies because if they didn't i don't know how long it was going to be before they even tried to reboot the franchise.

I was a little worried about the early reviews for this movie. I as sat through the movie I was waiting for the plot to go dull or the acting to become robotic or for the dialogue to die out but that moment never came. The action was never over the top and i didn't think that it was too heavy i'm not sure how the critics thought that this movie was just turned blockbuster blunder. The story was told perfect this is all you can think while watching it is " I have so many questions" and in way or from throughout the movie it get's told buy. The story was fluid and thought that the flash back never felt lost me nor ever did i feel confused as some of the critics have said about it. I also like how they triggered the flash backs they didn't just throw then in there like some movies have done.

Lets get onto the action, oh man was the action so awesome there was so much destruction. Iv'e read the comics and Iv'e seen the animated movies and that is in those but this was just insane. For me this is the best comic book movie action yes the avengers had it's grand scale but this was another level so many great moments buildings falling all over the place, ships being blown out of the sky seeing krypton being blown up. At no point when i was watching it was i like ok let's tone back some of the action and get back into some story but no i that felt like it was too much that's just me though.

I have been waiting for this movie since 08 and having to wait those five years to finally see it im so glad that it's everything I thought it would be. An amazing action film with hart and soul another thing that the critics thought that this movie didn't have. The cast overall did great and I can't complain about anyone. Henry Cavill (Clark Kent / Kal-El) was perfect he killed it as Kal-El he looks the role, he's likable, he is relatable as a person you can still tell he has moral fiber he wants to be good person and he acts like it he is what i wanted superman to be. Amy Adams did a great Lois Lane, Kevin Costner did an amazing Jonathan Kent really glad they did great with character a lot of the heart felt moments were with him. Michael Shannon as General Zod was great though I was hoping for him to steal the show and take control of his role making it seem like he was the only one that could have done Zod. He doesn't do that but that doesn't take away from him big a super kickass villain.

The visuals in this movie were amazing and it only dawned on me who was behind the special effects till the end of the movie of course it's Weta Digital. They have been seriously stepping up with each movie they been a part of the last couple years. Every time i watch a movie with amazing special effects i look to see who did it and most the time it's them. They have done the special effects for every comic book since X-Men: First Class and i don't need to tell you how great that movie looked not to mention they do all the Peter Jackson films so that's petty much tells how great these guys are. I guess i should mention that they also did James Cameron's Avatar.

I know some people don't like Zack Snyder's but i like the guy his movies are great all but one that is. I also know that some people don't like Watchmen but for me that was one of the best comic book movies iv'e watched and now this one is maybe even going to beat watchmen for my most liked film by him. And really I know some people were maybe expecting a little more Christopher Nolan feel to it but no this is a Zack Snyder film for sure. Some of the shots that are in this movies are just really get the close up of the pencils, the close up on the butterfly on the swing those are some great shots especially the butterfly one that one was beautiful. Also another amazing thing about this film was the score it was breathtaking really some of Hans Zimmer's best work at least for me. I actually pre ordered the deluxe edition online i'm so glad I did that also thought it was better then any of the Dark Knight Trilogy scores.

8.0
  12. May 12, 2014
    When I heard of Man of Steel, I got really excited. It was directed by the guy who did the new Batman series. It was to have great special effects and best of all, no kryptonite! To me, this was going to make the worlds most powerful superhero get a movie he finally deserves.

The movie began like how I thought it would. Very well. It was setting up a great movie. However, after that
    whole moment, and we begin to follow Superman on his quest, it all goes downhill.

The movie will leave you emotionless, unattached, and possibly bored. The movie clearly focused more on it's amazing special effects and top-notch graphic artists then it's plot and character development. Throughout the movie, I wanted to feel attached towards one character, but it never happened. The movie is incredibly fast paced, and gives you no time to breathe. The entire movie is just a long blur of violence and mass destruction. For those who just like to see whole cities destroyed, extended battle sequences, this is the movie for you. And you know what, it was cool. However, it was to much of a good thing. It was like the producer/director/who ever made the movie just began to play around with affects and decided that is was going to carry the whole movie.

It was unbelievable, the amount of destruction. The one thing you could connect with was the cringes the government felt with all the money they will have to pay to repair the city. The plot was predictable, and felt forced.

Also, the movie includes a romance which makes no sense at all, perfect hair even when being thrown through cities and mountains, and... more cities and mountains being destroyed.... and more death... and a lot of destruction... and crying... and screaming... and special effects... and more buildings and cities being destroyed...

For those who love action movies, special effects, and Superman, you should watch this. For those who want a more realistic superhero movie, relate-able characters and plots, great acting and movie that will leave you WITH emotion AND still with some great action and destruction? Watch the Dark Knight series.
  13. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie pulls us in with a captivating new design and story for Krypton and then pulls the rug from under us as quickly as the film cuts to some 20 or 30 years later. "Man of Steel" suffers from poor writing, poor characterization, a loud, but bland musical score (of course, by Hans Zimmer, the king of loud and bland), an over reliance on CGI (which isn't all that great anyways), illogical tornadoes, and cheesy scenes.

The only thing the film had going for it in the end was the increasingly human portrayal of Superman. Henry Cavill looked the part, and acted his best given his very inconsistently written character, in fact, basically all the characters flop about changing their minds and what makes them...them...constantly throughout the film. Lois Lane's first line is a dick joke...and the next..."Where do I tinkle?". Can we get anymore inconsistent? Make a choice for who a character is and STICK TO IT unless you're gradually changing them over time.

My other main issue is the organization of the story. The Krypton sequence goes on far too long to cut to 20 years later. Either keep your pace and continue on with his childhood helping us figure out who he is and how he became who you want us to follow- OR- START with the present day him and stick with the flashbacks and let us figure out his Krypton origins when HE does. The sequence in which he finds out his origin feels redundant because guess what...We've seen it already. It just feels like they shot a bunch of random, unconnected scenes and had to find some way to stitch them together.

Overall, "Man of Steel" is inconsistent, jarringly disorganized, bland, and filled with bad CGI...all disguised with beautiful imagery and cinematography.
  14. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Super man I have watched! It took me a long time before watching this, cause I dislike most superman movies with the same tired story. I finally watched it, and was surprised how good it was. Expand
  15. May 8, 2014
    Oh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "Man of Steel". I wouldn't mind of that flaws if the characters wouldn't have been one dimensional cardboard cutouts of a bare minimum of what a character is. Besides that, the dialogue is about 80 percent of exposition. Secondary characters were wasted, Superman was just emotionless. But it isn't all bad. I enjoyed the visuals, the way Krypton was presented. The fights were... Good.. Just good, because at the end it becomes repetitive.
    Overall "Man of Steel" was a disappointing action flick without humanity.
  16. May 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics say it is too dark, it has too much action.. yeah ok it is darker than every other superman incarnation and at some points the action could have been cut down a little bit but overally the film was great! You just have to accept that it is a bit different take on Superman. It shows the begining of the hero and it does it perfectly. The action is very good because it depicts superman's powers Perfectly. Henry Cavill is great as Kal-El. Amy Adams as lois lane.. uh I don't know.. Lois' character is not relly developed in this movie, but it wasn't supposed to be. It is just an introduction. And for the Superman causing to much chaos and destruction .. it was just great! It can kickstart the next movie, by showing people doubt Superman for the damage he caused. And for killing Zod.. even better! The perfect origin for Superman's no killing rule! You saw how he screamed in pain right? In the end the movie is not just enjoyable but cleverly written and directed. Good acting and great effects make this the best Superman movie to date. Imperfect but great! Expand
  17. May 6, 2014
    I dont get the hate on this movie... i think its really good. A bit dark and a bit to over the top with the action. But the story is great and Cavil is great as superman
  18. May 4, 2014
    Man of Steel: 5/10 "Regular"

Película regular que no logra ser buena por ser muy simple y por momentos aburrida, con una historia ya conocida y poco aprovechada.
  19. May 1, 2014
    Actually i can't understand critic's bad scores for this movie! I do think it's too fantastic and could've been A LOT better but frankly' i enjoyed it a lot! Highly recommended
  20. Apr 22, 2014
    This movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed in the movie and belonged there. A great dialogue with stand out performances all made this movie great. Expand
  21. Apr 21, 2014
    A truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is not very 'Man of Steel'. It was still a very enjoyable popcorn flick. Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2014
    Well of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end when you have the inevitable battle with a bad guy; one of those battles that just goes on and on and on ...and on and on. it was ridiculous. Keep in mind its one of those situations where of course Supermnan is essentially indestructible and of course his nemesis is almost equally indestructible, yet they endlessly throw each other through buidlings, throw cars and trucks at each other, bury themselves under tons of concrete and metal... but neither one is hurt of course so you just get totally bored with it. This was a total waste and 143 minutes of my life i will never get back. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2014
    It's not really fantastic, it's not really bad. If you love the explosions and lights and things flying around, this is a good way to spend 2 hours. The plot is basic, the characters are all kinda flat and one dimensional, but it was fun seeing a lot of smaller actors as side roles.
  24. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superman returns to the big screen in a way disappointing. It's not a bad movie or a good movie, It's just a disappointing movie. The movie has plot points we already seen: Kal-El borns, he is sent to another planet and raised by farmers...etc. after discovering he has super powers, he wants to know why they sent him do Earth. That's it. Nothing more, he destroys half of Metropolis, let innocent people die and then kills Zod. Man of Steel could been much better if Zack Snyder didn't put his hands on it. Expand
  25. Apr 16, 2014
    The number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting by Zach Snyder. Snyder is more interested in showing us an artsy action scene than in ever allowing us to connect to a character. The first half of the movie is all backstory, then there's OVER AN HOUR of non-stop destruction. Yawn. Watching one skyscraper after another after another get destroyed becomes a mind-numbing display of endless repetition. The Dark Knight proved a superhero movie doesn't have to be about destroying a bunch of buildings to be exciting. Which may explain why that's possibly the best superhero movie and this is a minimal Avengers ripoff. Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2014
    How the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, and I give credit to all the other screenwriters involved as well. The movie does bog down in too much action towards the end, but since it's all handled spectacularly it doesn't matter much. Man of Steel is no campy comic-book movie. It's a work of art. My faith in the critics has been shaken but not broken. My guess is that the film will be re-evaluated more positively in the future just like Blade Runner or 2001. Expand
  27. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good superhero movie...

But a terrible Superman movie.
    Look up on Google "Truth Justice" or "Truth Justice and the American Way", and you will see Superman connected to the 3rd auto finish. Both the top two sites are also linked with Superman.
    Early on in the movie you see "Superman" lie, steal, and you see Superman's Earth dad ,Jonathan Kent( Kevin Costner), infer that saving a school bus of kids wasn't a good choice. Those are some great morals this "new superman" has been brought up on.
    Throughout the 45-minute-bashfest-ending it seemed like this new superman had almost no regard for where fights would happen. One scene Zod and cohorts come to confront Mrs. Kent and what does superman do? Drive one away while leaving the other two to do whatever they wished with his Earth mother.
    As if all this isn't bad enough. No matter superman's intentions, the death toll has been estimated by a disaster expert as being between 139,000 and 389,000 and over a million injured. Though he may have fought to protect them, how can they not lay some of the blame upon him? A dubious start to a 'hero' and not Superman.
  28. Apr 3, 2014
    Lots of controversy over this film. In the end I did really enjoy it though. Sure, it wasn't as spectacular as The Dark Knight, but it had moments that were getting there. The CGI in this movie in phenomenal as well. I would recommend this movie to others, but please, don't compare it to Nolan's films.
  29. Apr 1, 2014
    Kevin Costner jumps in a tornado to show superman how it works. He dies. I've laughed for the rest of the film. Lois imprisoned in the room with every single button to escape from the ship, people trapped in a cock shaped ship that want revenge.
  30. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a pretty good retailing of Superman, even though I'm not that much of a Superman fan, however I think it was mostly the beginning of this film that I enjoyed. It did a very good job at telling the origin story of Superman and I thought it had some actually really good scenes; it had some nice emotional moments and other moments that I really liked. Unfortunately this movie that was going alright fell a bit flat around the middle. I mainly thought some of the action shown near the ending was a little to much. I mean that city near the end was a little over done. There were tons of explosions and destroyed buildings and I just thought that is mainly where the film was struggling, just trying to do way too much at the end. So the beginning was going well but that ending is kind of what killed the movie overall for me. However, it may just be because I'm not much of a Superman fan; so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you should see this movie or not. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.