Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 3382 Ratings
2,425
WATCH NOW
ADILJun 22, 2013
I am since my childhood, the first film of a powerful personality I've seen about the super man
Frankly Marvel abuses figures from DC figures
The reason is obvious
Directors of DC
Stronger than Spider man and Hulk
BY ADIL KHOJAH SAUDI ARABIYA
trigun123478Jun 17, 2013
Man of Steel is the perfect Superhero film. Do you come to watch a (SUPERHERO FILM) for Romance or drama? No, you come to see it for action and seeing your favorite Superhero fight super villains. Man of steel gives you just that and does itMan of Steel is the perfect Superhero film. Do you come to watch a (SUPERHERO FILM) for Romance or drama? No, you come to see it for action and seeing your favorite Superhero fight super villains. Man of steel gives you just that and does it in epic fashion. It's not to say this movie doesn't have drama or a little bit of romance because it does, It just doesn't dwell on it.

The movie gives you a little bit of everything, it shows you krypton, which we have never seen before. Don't listen to all the people that talk bad about it, mostly its critics. Its the best Superhero film I have seen as well as the best Superman anything that has ever been created. Superman has always had it hard when it comes to media other than comics, like video games and movies. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie, you won't regret it.
GarrJun 17, 2013
Man of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or SupermanMan of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lot taking place on other planets with different technology and had a lot of action and destruction. None of this awesomeness happened in those older movies. Instead, a bunch of stupid crap happened, like Superman flying around the world to turn back time and him sleeping with Lois, which he would never do. The series should've been rebooted a long time ago, and finally it has been. This movie is just as good of a reboot as, if not better than, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. This is the first time I actually felt like Superman in a live-action movie was actually super and awesome and actually had a threat that was worthy of him. And this movie had one of the most exciting and shockingly fantastic climaxes to a movie ever. I don't know how people could not love this film. Expand
SovereignJun 14, 2013
Couldn't be better, this is what we pay for, an awesome sci fi epic superhero movie, blowing everything before it and creating great expectations for what is to come next, Marvel, watch out! not even all your movies together can match thisCouldn't be better, this is what we pay for, an awesome sci fi epic superhero movie, blowing everything before it and creating great expectations for what is to come next, Marvel, watch out! not even all your movies together can match this level of destruction, including the (not so awesome anymore) Avengers! Expand
TheOnlineGamerJun 14, 2013
MOVIE OF THE YEAR! Critics are HIGH, this was the best movie I've seen all year. Aside from the gripping story, fantastic score and acting, we also have some of the most EPIC DBZ-Style Fight Sequences ever put to film. And I'm really happyMOVIE OF THE YEAR! Critics are HIGH, this was the best movie I've seen all year. Aside from the gripping story, fantastic score and acting, we also have some of the most EPIC DBZ-Style Fight Sequences ever put to film. And I'm really happy with the way Superman took out Zod. (No one will ever call Superman Boring or a wimp after that final fight scene)

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait for the sequel! 10/10
WhiteJul 7, 2013
This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium. If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The
This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium.

If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The Amazing Spiderman? Avengers?....and you do not want your intelligence get offended cause the director was retarded.....Watch Man of Steel.

If you want an action movie that the starring hero/ superhero, is not some half-way comedian punk that his powers some times are ON some times are OFF Watch Man of Steel.

If you want to see a superhero actually using his brain... Watch Man of Steel.

If you want a superhero movie that isn't made for making 16year old girs getting in love with the starring actor........Watch Man of Steel.

Last but not least, so far and if my memory serves well (apart from Nolan's Batman) Its the only Superhero movie that actually explains every single detail.

This is a dark, epic, serious, well made action superhero movie.
Its not supposed to be funny, nor romantic, nor for kids.
theredstratJun 15, 2013
There is no way to explain the critics' panning of this other than pure Zack Snyder bias. It was exhilarating from start to finish. There was enough absurdity to pay homage to the printed canon as well as enough emotional performances andThere is no way to explain the critics' panning of this other than pure Zack Snyder bias. It was exhilarating from start to finish. There was enough absurdity to pay homage to the printed canon as well as enough emotional performances and painstaking attention to visual detail to suspend disbelief even in the most unbelievable moments. It's not tongue-in-cheek Marvelesque, it's definitely somewhat dark and in the same vein as Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. My only complaint is the "he's kinda hot" line. You'll know it when you hear it.

I was luke-warm on 300, hated Sucker Punch, and kinda liked Watchmen, but this film made me a big ZS fan and I can't wait for what comes next. His reverence for the source material is apparent in every frame and his visual brilliance with the medium is breathtaking. Almost makes me think a Justice League film could work.
IOMDutchJun 21, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel takes from Superman lore the aspects that fans of the original films have been dreaming about for over 3 decades.

Superman II is the film that really grabbed my imagination from the original motion pictures during my youth. It excited me like nothing else had before. It was the baddie film. Superbeings fighting and throwing each other through Coke signs! Despite the Lester/Donnar pollution, the film is iconic. Not least for Terrance Stamps role as General Zod and the über-sexy Sarah Douglas as Ursa.

This retelling of the franchise, grounded in the Zod story arc is just an incredible proposition for fans like me.

To open on the visualisation of the birth of the Man of Steel is brilliant story telling. The old story is fresh and new straight away. The film gives us enough on screen, and, coupled with 'the good jist', the story romps along without treading to closely on old worn ground and risk growing stale whilst stumbling over a back-story most of the audience will know.

All grown up and Superman who is known, excellently, as Kal-El throughout the film, is unsure of himself, new, or initially without, good knowledge of his past he appears a vulnerable lost soul. His powers are unrealised and he simply uses his moral compass (and some good hear-say)to direct him to an answer, if there is one...and there is *thumbs up* Then gets real.

Michael Shannon's portrayal of General Zod is nothing short of sensational. His character is not the 'Bad' guy in the usual sense of the word. He is a creation of a society who's morals are questionable 'even' by our human standards and he is driven in his beliefs and is all the more dangerous for it.

Henry 'Kal-El' Cavill is brilliant. The character is written so well you can identify with this vision of Superman like never before. With Cavill you feel that we are all along for the same ride and we like where it is going.

Amy Adams is perfectly cast as Lois Lane. She is a remarkable actress and this role seems naturally made for her. The relationship between Lois and Superman is fresh and uncertain. I enjoyed the story arc but missed a little chemistry between the two and the last kiss didn't impact on me and, looking back, I thought it should have. Teed up nicely for the sequel though I have no doubt.

I did have a couple of winces and the biggie for me was the 'Jesus Christ' shot of Kal-El departing the spacecraft following a final farewell to his father, Jor-El. I am not a massive follower of every Superman comic in print. I have a collection but would not consider myself an expert. So I cannot say whether this imagery is integral for the die hard comic fans'. For me, it is not needed, the symbolism of religious connotation is obvious if you 'want' look for it, without it being rammed down our throats so crassly.

Another stab came from the military subordinates' question regarding terraforming. In order to better explain the situation (spoonfeed the audience) a soldier/officer pipes up and asks "What's Terraforming". I truly believe that the majority of fans and people in general will have heard of the word terraforming and have a grasp on, essentially, what it is. A better put 'explain please' question would have been, in response to "They're terraforming" would be "How are they doing it"?

Good eyes also, on intrepid reporter Lois Lane, to spot a shadowy figure on her digital camera preview screen!?!

Influentially I think that Christopher Nolan was on the bus but Zach Snyder and David Goyer were definitely in the driving seat. The pace of the film is relentless, I thought that the 3rd act needed to take breath before the final showdown to prepare the audience a little more for the upcoming clash. And... What a battle. What a fight. Nothing was spared, those buildings were empty by then, smash 'em up and ..oh and *He breaks his freakin' neck* Evolution or extinction? Right there the Superman character took a massive evolutionary leap forward.

Man of Steel is visually stunning with an incredible soundtrack. The 3D aspect is good. I thought that the effect worked best during close up shots especially between Jor-El and his wife Lara before launching the capsule. I am not a fan of the art at all so I would have preferred a 2D viewing (not possible at our local cinema) So I look forward to that fresh viewing on a beautiful Steel-book Blu-Ray with a flawless transfer...I hope.

Leaving the cinema, I immediately wanted turn round, sit down and watch it again (Very rare since I was probably 16) and took with me the message that I got from the film and that was; We can be better. We all, really can be 'Superman' if we choose to be. And that's not bad.

I don't often dole out top marks. Many people believe that a 10/10 or 5 Stars is not the done thing? 'No such thing as a perfect film'! But when a film comes along that has so much riding on it and is much more than the sum of it's parts and is really bloody good then really; Fair Play, Sold!

Suffice it to say that Man of Steel is a benchmark Summer Blockbuster classic.
manwe7Jun 19, 2013
Best movie that I paid to see since Avatar. Some of the scenes even remind me of Avatar. The action was intense, the actors were very good, some of the scenes were very touching, I really love the Krypton scenes and how David wrote it asBest movie that I paid to see since Avatar. Some of the scenes even remind me of Avatar. The action was intense, the actors were very good, some of the scenes were very touching, I really love the Krypton scenes and how David wrote it as being a planet like Pandora and also some Star Wars mixed in. Paid a lot of homage in my opinion to Smallville the TV series. I think I will go see it again. Expand
MoviebuffreviewJun 14, 2013
The heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since theThe heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since the original, and it is one of the best comic book movies ever. This is a fantastic reboot to the franchise, and a great start to an inevitable Justice League franchise. Expand
WipeoutJun 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS AHEAD.
Amazing how things change over the years. When I was a young boy, I saw a squeaky clean Christoper Reeve in his neon blue outfit and it left a lasting impression. Long after the movie, we would still run around on our farm with red swimming towels flapping in the wind behind our backs. In those moments, the lines between fantasy and reality blurred and I became the super hero I adored.
But the way we perceived this person, this alien, had to change. This story had to be told from a different angle. We had to see it from a realistic and emotional point of view.
His personal struggle is beautifully told and succeeds in creating a deep sense of empathy. A man who had to let his farther die because he believed it when his farther told him that the world was not ready for him. A man who had to hide his identity ending up drifting around from one place to the other.
This is his journey. He brings goodness to us, but also evil and he knows he is accountable.
In the end, he becomes a being of hope, bridging the divide between a distant extinct planet and earth. He becomes a link between them and us who ends up saving us and fulfilling his father's vision.
In conclusion. The way Superman was portrayed in the 80ties, was through the eyes of children. In this movie, Kal-El is presented to us through the eyes of the adults we have become. Not only does he bridge the gap between his planet and ours, and the gap between hope and despair. In a sense, he bridges the gap between us and our child like perception of him.
tazer234Jun 14, 2013
The critics truly got this one wrong. Possibly a false sense of righteousness that critics must despise something good? I will never understand...

On to the movie: A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action.

On to the movie:
A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action.
Unrelenting, superb, awe-inspiring, the list goes on...
Rivals The Dark Knight. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
Everyone and their grandmother should watch this film.
You'll be missing out if you do not.
HaVoK308Jun 24, 2013
This is a movie about Truth, Justice, Honor, Tradition, and Culture. Everything that made America great in the past. This is why the Liberal Movie Critics are trashing it.

Politics aside, the movie is great!
Just1nsaneJun 14, 2013
There are little things that bothered me but not enough to complain about this movie was amazing. The story line was great the characters were spot on henry cavill is a perfect superman. The action scenes were great. The visuals were by farThere are little things that bothered me but not enough to complain about this movie was amazing. The story line was great the characters were spot on henry cavill is a perfect superman. The action scenes were great. The visuals were by far one of the best I've seen in a while. Expand
airborne519Jun 15, 2013
Very skeptical..just like I was with Batman Begins...
Finally Superman done right! this one has hit the mark dead on! I was so sick of the cheesy, lovesick movies of the past. This is a great representation of the comic book Superman, well done!
BabuYaguJun 22, 2013
Everything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for aEverything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for a comicbook adaptation but overall the action sequences steal the show. Triumphant return for Superman. Just wish Zod had asked him to kneel. Expand
TstaiJun 15, 2013
Went into this expecting to be disappointed, honestly. With all the super hero movies coming out I didn't expect much. Man of Steel was shockingly good though. Lots of early buildup, an amazing soundtrack, and the last half hour of the movieWent into this expecting to be disappointed, honestly. With all the super hero movies coming out I didn't expect much. Man of Steel was shockingly good though. Lots of early buildup, an amazing soundtrack, and the last half hour of the movie was raw action. I don't know how in the world any critics rate this lower than a 65 or 70... Expand
cfergojrSep 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Superman fan, this was the reboot I've been waiting for. This movie helped erase all memories of the lackluster Superman Returns and paved the way for a take on the 75 year old character that feels both fresh and energized.

The Good: First and foremost, this is a Sci-Fi story at its core and I loved that most about this movie. It was great to see a look of Krypton that did away with the crystalline structure of the Donner films. This movie feels much closer to some of the more recent comics including elements of John Bryne's Man of Steel and Superman Birthright (where we see Clark traveling around the world and taking up various odd jobs). I really enjoyed the non-linear style of story-telling, it was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. Jumping between an older and younger Clark Kent helped us get to know him, without spending too much time treading on old ground.

Performances: Henry Cavill does an excellent job portraying the Man of Steel. We see a Superman that's lonely, conflicted and struggling to find his place in the world. One of the character traits I, personally have found very relatable. Amy Adams, what can I say, shes awesome. A much better actress and way more attractive than Margot Kidder or to a lesser-extent Kate Bosworth. Michael Shannon nearly stole the show as General Zod, compared to the campy (but still great) performance of Terrance Stamp, we get a Zod that is both ruthless and menacing. Finally, Russell Crowe as Jor-El. One of my favorite characters from the Superman mythos and Crowe absolutely blew me away. He provides the explanations for why Krypton becomes ultimately doomed, why he sends his only son to earth and why Kal-El must use his gifts to help others. Another one of my favorite aspects of the movie was that we got plenty of screen-time with him (both on and off Krypton). I was entertained ;)

Special Effects: The CGI was some of the best I've seen yet! The scenes with Henry flying around are absolutely spectacular and almost realistic looking. Compare that to the final scene in SR where Brandon Routh looks like a poorly modeled PS3 character.

The Not-So-Good: Feels a little rushed in a few areas,Maybe a little too much action for the first movie and not enough time spent developing some of the characters. I'm sure we'll get some more of those in the sequel, but the main focus of this movie is Superman.

Overall: 9.5/10
Hooky586Jun 14, 2013
This was the perfect Superman movie! I loved how Snyder captured the essence of Krypton and told the full story of how Kal-El's home planet was destroyed. I thought Russell Crowe played a perfect Zor-El as he brought substance to Kal in theThis was the perfect Superman movie! I loved how Snyder captured the essence of Krypton and told the full story of how Kal-El's home planet was destroyed. I thought Russell Crowe played a perfect Zor-El as he brought substance to Kal in the times that he needed it the most. Amy Adams was a perfect Lois Lane as she embodied everything that the character needed to have including heart, a go-get am attitude and the wit to know when not to write a story about an alien living on Earth. Henry Cavill played a wonderful Superman and I would say that he brought the character to life more than Christopher Reeve did with the 1978 movie.

Overall, people will complain about the serious tone that this movie had along with the special effects. However, I argue that this is a new telling of the Superman story and it should be taken serious. Think Batman Begins. As far as the special effects, that was one of the big reasons why I did not love the Avengers. However, this is Superman after all and he does fly so the special effects are a given. But the movie could have used less destruction of Metropolis, but I believe it made up for itself by the stellar acting of the entire crew.

Overall, I would rank this movie as the 3rd best Superhero movie of all time. My top 5 are as follows:

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) Man of Steel
4) X-Men: First Class
5) X-Men
sober_dudeJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok here goes:

I loved this movie. This is the kind of Superman movie that has, for whatever reason, been absent from existence for far too long. You can get a Superman movie like this but you have to look in the DC Comics animated universe. You know, the ones that go straight to Blu-ray Disc. I can't believe it has taken 75 years for Superman to be seen on the big screen in this fashion. It has literally everything the giddy nerd in all of us wants to see from Superman. Intense action, glorious set-pieces, a plot that puts more than one hemisphere in danger and through it all an actor playing Superman who nails every moment he is on screen. I loved Superman Returns but this movie is such a big you to the emo baby mama of that movie. Gone are the days when Lois Lane is just a pretty face and villains exist to have a villain.

No. This is the one we've all been waiting for. It's finally here.

As an origin story, the plot is such a solid take on the sci-fi elements of the comics regarding Krypton that I had a grin on my face basically the entire first 20 minutes. I was hoping the helpful grey levitating droid was going to be named Brainiac but it had a different name. Oh well. Not a big deal.

The fact that Zod is given a heartbeat in this movie is one of the best decisions Goyer and Nolan made when writing this thing. There is a perfect logic behind everything Zod does and you see his point of view with each word from his mouth. He is trying to save the race of people he swore to protect from extinction. A noble cause that a society would expect from all their Generals.

The balance that is struck between Kal's dual heritages and morality is basically the theme of the entire film. Jor-El is all about destiny and being a leader for a lesser people, while Jonathan just wants to protect his child and preaches restraint above all else. The "first contact with an alien" aspect is touched upon but not as much as I thought it was going to be. I guess that's my fault for reading so many interviews with creators and producers.

All the actors nail it. Literally every one of them. I can't think of a weak spot as far as casting. Faora is ****ing BAD ASS. She kicks so much butt in this movie I'm creaming my pants right now remembering her scenes. Look for her to give you that wow factor as far as action scenes. The Kents serve their purpose with such grace, it makes me sad to say they were barely on screen. Jor-El on the other hand has a good 20-30 minutes of dialogue spread throughout the film. Add him to the bad-ass list, by the way. Scientists get combat training on Krypton, believe that. Michael ****ing Shannon. That is all. That SHOULD be all for anyone who doubts him. Amy Adams and Henry Cavill probably needed more screen time together to get a good chemistry going but this movie is not about them. This is an origin story, not the love story that I'm sure will be more fleshed out in a potential sequel.

Hans Zimmer's score isn't as memorable as Williams' but it's about ten times more powerful and visceral. Tonally, it goes perfectly with everything that is going on on screen.

It seems like the last third of the film being nonstop action and ultimately an entire city block of Metropolis being turned into ashes is being used as a scapegoat for critics. There more collateral damage in this movie than I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Some may find it off-putting for a Superman movie but I didn't find it jarring at all. You have to believe a city battle between Kryptonians is going to destroy a few buildings. It's either that or have a castrated final battle between Zod and Superman. No thanks. Give me MORE explosions and MORE destruction if the world is at stake.

One final thought on Henry Cavill as Superman. As an actor, playing the role of Superman should be relatively easy on paper, but when you get down to the nitty gritty, the character is relatively complex. He has to know what to do without knowing who he is. He has to know what to say without knowing how to feel. There is a boy scout stigma attached to the character that the script lets Superman break free of, but would have been utterly pointless with the wrong person at the helm. Henry Cavill is not only the right actor for the job, he's the right face and aura. The right voice tone, the right rhythm to his speech, even the way he looks at General Swanwick at the end of the movie after he downs a drone and tells the Army basically "I know you're spying on me, stop it". The look is one of quiet dignity and utter confidence in what he's saying while still conveying the strength and leadership only Superman can. This is the leader of the Justice League. Routh, for all his similarity to Reeve could NEVER lead a League of superheroes.

After seeing the film, the only thing I could think was "I can't ****ing WAIT for MOS 2 and Justice League." That's a feeling most Superman fans have been waiting for for a long time.
dragon_saphiraJun 14, 2013
MARVELOUS OUTSTANDING
Brilliant movie overall just don't expect Nolan's wit. The movie is just made better by the great music by Hans Zimmer
Lucky to watch it first day n first show
Go watch it now
dark357asassinJun 15, 2013
I had high expectations going into this movie, then got a little skeptical when seeing all the critic reviews. But after seeing it all I can say it wow. The movie from the start keeps your heart going and you engaged. The story was brilliantI had high expectations going into this movie, then got a little skeptical when seeing all the critic reviews. But after seeing it all I can say it wow. The movie from the start keeps your heart going and you engaged. The story was brilliant and more scientific then the older superman movies. The action was a lot more than I expected but it was good because it all made sense. The special effects were magnificent. The actors that they casted were just great. Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, and Kevin costner did just spectacular jobs. The music is perfectly done by Hanz Zimmer and fits this movie really nicely. Go and see this movie. You will not be disappointed. Expand
Inception12Jun 16, 2013
The best film of the year! The best superhero movie since The Dark Knight! We finally have an epic superman movie with great visual effects, action, actors, and villain! When you compare this to other films: Its way better than the stupidThe best film of the year! The best superhero movie since The Dark Knight! We finally have an epic superman movie with great visual effects, action, actors, and villain! When you compare this to other films: Its way better than the stupid Superman Returns; Iron Man 3 was ok which shouldn't had a lot of money; Avengers was very good but tired of watching it (never with Man of Steel); But it is close to The Dark Knight! The Dark Knight is still the best superhero movie of all time! This is one of my favorite films of all time! It has humor but little because of the serious tone brought by Christopher Nolan who is a badass! But the humor was good enough! General Zod played by Michael Shannon, is the best villain since The Joker! I am still trying know what the critics were watching because the ones such as Richard Roeper, and others, dont understand of how a DC movie should look like rather than thinking this movie should be like Marvel movies! Screw Marvel! Dont listen to the critics and have your own opinion about this movie! Go see it! We need this movie to kick Iroman 3's ass in the boxoffice to prove that Man of Steel is the biggest movie of the year! Expand
meamogreJun 15, 2013
This was not only the best superhero movie to date but also the most thrilling summer movie in memory. Fans of Superman will be very pleased by his treatment in this film and hopefully chase any lingering angst from the previous debacle .ThisThis was not only the best superhero movie to date but also the most thrilling summer movie in memory. Fans of Superman will be very pleased by his treatment in this film and hopefully chase any lingering angst from the previous debacle .This is also a movie for anime fans as this is the Dragonball movie they deserve. I can not give a higher recomendation. See this movie! Expand
cub317Jul 15, 2013
This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than anyThis movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
Tashy497Jul 2, 2013
Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I wasGreat movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!
FilmaholicJun 24, 2013
So I finally saw this movie today and I must admit that it was really everything that I wanted in a Superman movie. Henry Cavill was Superman, even though I really liked Brandon Routh, he just wasnt given the right medium to really fullySo I finally saw this movie today and I must admit that it was really everything that I wanted in a Superman movie. Henry Cavill was Superman, even though I really liked Brandon Routh, he just wasnt given the right medium to really fully embody the character that Cavill played in this film.

Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane, with her larger than life reporter. She was given little time to grow as a character but I am sure if there is a sequel then that will give her more time to shine.

The actor who played Zod was very good. I mean I will always have a place in my heart of Terrence Stamp, but this new Zod was very good.

Russel Crowe as Jor-El was very well played and not over acted at all.

Overall this was a very interesting and refreshing new take on Superman, and I hope there is something more coming down the pipeline on this one
Ins3ktzJun 14, 2013
Very, very well made movie. Despite the last forty minutes being one straight up action scene, the first one hundred are excellent insights into Clark Kent's troubled character. Not to mention a climax that will leave you agape.
KaBeeMJul 2, 2013
Just had to vote this up. It seems all the bad reviews come from people who don't read comics and therefore do not understand the significance this movie holds to future comic based movies.

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch,

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch, but to a comic reader they are just watered down hollywood products.

Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic. I'm not a huge fan of the invincible goody superhero in a blue pyjamamyself, but I must admit that he is the most iconic and one of the most important comic characters ever and the movie does right by him.

The movie itself is not perfect, there are a lot of issues (like too sudden cuts, missing information and too much bla bla), but the tone of the movie and the characters itself are exactly what I expect from a true to the comics superman movie. I definitely want to see more of that in the future. A superhero movie taking itself seriously is what the genre needed.

Now gimme Lex Luther in the second one and I'm happy!
dimglJun 15, 2013
Probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Henry Cavill was great as Superman and Michael Shannon played a convincing General Zod. The entire story was believable and every aspect of the movie more than delivered its fairProbably one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Henry Cavill was great as Superman and Michael Shannon played a convincing General Zod. The entire story was believable and every aspect of the movie more than delivered its fair share for me.

I will be seeing this movie maybe two or three more times. GO SEE IT!
aozetaJun 15, 2013
Finally Superman was given a just reboot! Henry Cavill plays the role well and is perfectly fit for the it. The screenplay was well-written, decent. Visual effects were fantastic while sound and editing were well done. The cast deliveredFinally Superman was given a just reboot! Henry Cavill plays the role well and is perfectly fit for the it. The screenplay was well-written, decent. Visual effects were fantastic while sound and editing were well done. The cast delivered beyond satisfactory. A motion picture-of-the-year material. Man of Steel is this decade's The Dark Knight (2008).

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
RECON-UKNov 23, 2013
I never usually watch Superman films, as it is not something that really does it for me, however this film took me by surprise.
A fully entertaining movie with some great actors.
Action is well paced and thought out, this film is brilliant.
Aayush773Jun 14, 2013
After watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyedAfter watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyed an entire solar system just by sneezing). This movie did the best job yet of showing the actual scale of Superman's strength, unlike the god awful Christopher Reeves Series and even worse, Returns. This movie deserves at LEAST a 9/10. Expand
LetoAtreides82Nov 10, 2013
This was the Superman movie I've always wished for. For so long I wanted to see Superman kick ass, and finally I got the movie I wanted. Previous Superman movies focused too much on romance, and his double-life as Clark Kent, and not enoughThis was the Superman movie I've always wished for. For so long I wanted to see Superman kick ass, and finally I got the movie I wanted. Previous Superman movies focused too much on romance, and his double-life as Clark Kent, and not enough on the fact that he's damn powerful. I loved every battle, especially the final one. Expand
thedayitendedJun 19, 2013
I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice.I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literally nothing you have ever experienced before. The amount of carnage and building destruction is unbelievable but at the same time you believe it, which brings me to the visual FX because this has to be the most visually stunning movie ever made and for a superhero movie, it works. Zach Snyder is the king and ever since the watchmen (10 out of 10 as well) hes proven that he along with Nolan is the best a bringing these extraordinary characters to life. This movie is a must see and a must buy when it is released, because I see people watching it over and over again. Expand
senogadJul 3, 2013
I found this film great, I think the acting was superb, the pacing of the film was good enough to keep you engaged all the time but at the same time learn allot about the characters and the action sequences were amazing. I don't think I haveI found this film great, I think the acting was superb, the pacing of the film was good enough to keep you engaged all the time but at the same time learn allot about the characters and the action sequences were amazing. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema and enjoyed a film as much as this. Expand
imthenoobJun 30, 2013
Critics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into aCritics got this movie dead wrong. To start off with the cast, They are very good. Cavill was a great pick to play Superman, Crowe was a great pick to play his real father, Shannon was a little rough at first but in the end turned into a satisfying villain, Adams played a solid love interest. The movie is absolutely filled with special effects, The last 40-50 mins of the film revolves around the destroy of a city, The special effects look amazing and I kind of regret not seeing it in 3D. The plot reveals far more back story to Superman then any of the previous Superman films and was pretty solid over all.

In the end, Man of Steel is the must see summer action film and I will gladly pre-order it on Blu-ray when it comes out for home release. Go and see this movie, It's amazing.
JediMasterLennyJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do yourself a favor and do not read into the critical reviews. look at metacritic, the game has almost a 9.0 rating from regular people but a 55% from the "professional movie critics" who are obviously out of touch with reality. This may be the best movie of the year. The build-up to General Zod's arrival on earth is perfectly paced, they handled Krypton well (like, its just almost exactly like it is in the comics, down to the floaty communicator-thingys). Is there a lot of action in it? Yes. The action feels good though and it keeps you excited for what is next. There was a scene in Smallville that was amazing, the action is great.

Overall, there is more action than story, perhaps yes, but it is appropriate for the first in a series or trilogy to set up the next movies for some good times to be had.
pnathan_28Jun 18, 2013
Man of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like SupermanMan of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almost omnipotent can change the world and not always for the better. some minor plot discrepancies aside this is in my humble opinion the movie of the summer and the best Superman movie to date. Expand
pcgamereviewerAug 11, 2013
One of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not theOne of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not the traditional boyscout as Donner's movies made him out to be), it's more serious in tone (not as much over-the-top humor as past Marvel movies) and saying it has too much action (a tad bit too much explosions but this is a Superman movie; what'd they expect?)!!

I've seen even more ridiculous reasons for hating this movie from simply hating the director, how they chose to get rid of Superman's silly and not-so-iconic underwear and Superman destroying half the city (compare this to the Avengers where there's 6 superheres in a team-up movie, Superman needs to be in two places at once and Superman's relatively inexperienced in this one).

If you were expecting a Summer Blockbuster (that shows off CGI), a reinvention of the Superman mythos and some emotional scenes which cause us to see why Superman is the man he is today then you'll be loving this movie. Don't go in with ridiculous expectations and go in open-minded. That's all I can say.

Go and see it!!
scoleyJun 15, 2013
What a brilliant movie it is up there with The Dark Night for me it is that good. There is a great cast some amazing special effects loads of action for a 2 hour plus movie it never drags and there is some nice additions to the storyWhat a brilliant movie it is up there with The Dark Night for me it is that good. There is a great cast some amazing special effects loads of action for a 2 hour plus movie it never drags and there is some nice additions to the story ,Michael Shannon is just becoming one of my favorite actors he plays the role of General Zod so well, all in all this is a must see movie its a easy 10 out of 10. Expand
Turambar29Jun 24, 2013
I loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made thisI loved the movie; the action sequences were certainly fantastic, but watching Clark/Kal grapple with his Kryptonian legacy and his love of earth and step into the role of Superman was amazing. The *lack* of levity and cheese really made this movie; the critics seem to hate this taking on the role of a serious sci-fi movie, but that’s what made it for me. I’m certain that the sequel will have more levity in it, now that Superman has really arrived. The acting was fantastic, the visuals were spectacular, and I found it to be quite moving. Yes, the Christ-imagery is overplayed, but he *is* a modern savior figure. I had low expectations after Superman Returns, but I loved this film.

Also, Russell Crowe nearly stole the show. I’d watch a prequel, “Krypton,” starring him as Jor-El. The opening sequence on Krypton was really, really good!
ZahhausFeb 25, 2014
Easily best Superman-movie ever made! Script, acting, soundtrack, Superman's costume.. everything is just one big "WOW!"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie!
L3000Jun 29, 2013
One of the best superhero movies ever made, the look of the film is amazing and destroys Henry Cavill as Superman (Clark Kent and how), and the action scenes are of the highest possible quality, is like the fight scenes transformers but onlyOne of the best superhero movies ever made, the look of the film is amazing and destroys Henry Cavill as Superman (Clark Kent and how), and the action scenes are of the highest possible quality, is like the fight scenes transformers but only you know what is happening and of course the action scenes are better filmed, and the story of the film is excellent and has some references to comics, anyway Man of Steel is a movie which is indispensable to REALLY superman fan. Expand
ricksrosesJul 6, 2013
OH YA!!! This one is way better than I thought.... (just another superman movie... more & an over used DC franchise)... I have to say that for two and a half hours I was frequently & pleasantly surprised... Superb acting, very good storyOH YA!!! This one is way better than I thought.... (just another superman movie... more & an over used DC franchise)... I have to say that for two and a half hours I was frequently & pleasantly surprised... Superb acting, very good story line and just plain fun to watch... This DVD is going to purchased for my 3D TV... Expand
JayWingJun 14, 2013
Absolutely sensational film. So original and refreshing. Acting and Action we're among the highlights. Great start for the DC Cinematic universe! I am not sure why it is receiving so much criticism. One of the best CBM's yet!
dhanadJun 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite what most 'reviews' are saying this is easily one of the best science-fiction/superhero movie ever made. Finally a superman movie that was done right, as close as it can get to the origin story and portrayed the way it should be. Yes, it may not be perfect (nothing is) but this one movie has set the wheel in motion for all the good things to come and I cannot wait what Snyder, Goyer has up their sleeves in the next installment and as far as Justice League is concerned. Yes, it may have gone the full drama route to develop the characters further, and in doing so that would leave the movie little time to dish out all the crazy good battle scenes. I felt Snyder and co did a great job balancing between narration and action sequence quite well. It is well paced for a 2 hours 30 minutes movie.

I do not think I would have this movie in any other way, I know I will be going back to see this a couple of more times before my thirst for the epic reincarnation of the daddy of all superhero is quenched. This is the Superman movie we needed, for this time, for this and the generations to come. Similar to the way Reeves did for most of us old timers back in the eighties.
TheMarine316Jun 14, 2013
I'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie fromI'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie from start to finish, i'm happy they took some risks with the story and did things differently so it's not like another reboot where u know everything, it was done in a fresh way where even if u know the superman story from front to back u could still feel this was a fresh unfamiliar take on the story, as a big superman fan i've been waiting over thirty years to see superman punch someone in a movie, the action was second to none... if ur a superman fan u owe it to yourself to see this marvel. Expand
Nelsito2332Jun 14, 2013
I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S.I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, he has successfully made the Man Of Steel relevant and above all human. With a strong cast including Russel Crowe as Jor-El, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and of course Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. Michael Shannon makes a truly menacing General Zod that you actually respect for his notions but understand his questionable motives. Overall, Man Of Steel is a pleasant surprise filled with plenty of little Easter eggs for DC fans to look out for. This is one summer blockbuster you won't want to miss, Zack Snyder has created another epic superhero masterpiece. Expand
Ron2737Jun 14, 2013
Loved Man of Steel this movie way better than Superman Returns. Most Critic are wraped up in a 1978 version of superman over 35 years age. Nevertheless, this is this generation Superman. Most Critic are over 45 years old and don't get it.Loved Man of Steel this movie way better than Superman Returns. Most Critic are wraped up in a 1978 version of superman over 35 years age. Nevertheless, this is this generation Superman. Most Critic are over 45 years old and don't get it. The overall movie is better than any Iron Man moovie or the Averger. I not giving any thing away but, its a must see on the big screen don't wait for Red Box for this one! Expand
Crazy-ElJun 17, 2013
Is a new generation for Superman.Realism does not mean pessimism.Man of Steel is under the sign of Hope.Clark finally discovered who he is and why he is here.He now knows his real name Kal-El. Film that the world needs these days.A unifyingIs a new generation for Superman.Realism does not mean pessimism.Man of Steel is under the sign of Hope.Clark finally discovered who he is and why he is here.He now knows his real name Kal-El. Film that the world needs these days.A unifying symbol for America and for all peoples 10/10 Expand
NIntendoFan94Aug 25, 2013
Man of Steel deserves a classic superhero movie comeback! Otherwise the story is so amazing and the action was too intense. I enjoyed this movie but what I expected like The Dark Knight.
NatsuDragneelJun 14, 2013
I don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the manI don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with Henry Cavill shining in the superman outfit. The script was perfect, penned by goyer and nolan, presenting the story of superman's origins and his difficulties, and at the same time having enough feel of 'realism' to it just like the dark knight trilogy. The action sequences were just plain awesome, providing enough special effects to compare with the avengers. This movie was just what the once-popular hero needed, an emotional origin story with some butt-kicking action. Man of Steel provides everything one hoped for, it delivers just everything one expected in the movie. Hopefully, Superman should collect enough revenue for at least a trilogy. Expand
Mazmorrero47Jun 15, 2013
Zack Snyder created the Superman film we needed. He gives us some jaw-dropping visuals and an engaging and emotional story about loneliness and finding your mission in life that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Henry Cavill totally nailed
Henry Cavill totally nailed the role of Superman in every possible way. He has a strong screen presence and gives the character a naivety that makes you relate to him. He has morals, but still can get angry, sad and desperate. The rest of the cast is great as well.
General Zod was written in a very intelligent way because even though he was a force of destruction and violence, you can still understand his motivations.
Man of Steel has everything to please both comic book aficionados and average movie goers, and is the perfect Superman movie.
coreyg007Jun 16, 2013
The movie is great! I felt like I'd seen quite a bit going into the theatre and, I was correct! From watching all the trailers you get the sense that you see alot before going to the big screen but, believe me, the movie was worth it! GreatThe movie is great! I felt like I'd seen quite a bit going into the theatre and, I was correct! From watching all the trailers you get the sense that you see alot before going to the big screen but, believe me, the movie was worth it! Great action, awesome soundtrack, and the acting is right on par from each character. For some reason though, there were another of characters from Battle Star Galactica... LOL! Anyway, go see it! Expand
analogkid280Jun 16, 2013
Mature, intelligent, and polished. The planet Krypton chapter was so interesting I could of watched a whole 2 hour movie just in that world. Many familiar faces make a show and it works. Fight scenes are quick and exciting. Certainly worth aMature, intelligent, and polished. The planet Krypton chapter was so interesting I could of watched a whole 2 hour movie just in that world. Many familiar faces make a show and it works. Fight scenes are quick and exciting. Certainly worth a franchise reborn. Expand
Joyner7Jul 14, 2013
It was a great movie. It was greatly directed and the visules were stunning. I never thought any super hero movie would top the dark knight... and even if man of steel might not have to some people it sure came close
Tjackson31692Jun 21, 2013
Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew.Nolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create aMan of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew.Nolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. Expand
JDFreeman001Jun 25, 2013
Loved it! I'm not usually a supes fan but this had me the whole film. I wasn't bored for a single second and I honestly couldn't see a single negative about the film that seems to have divided most critics. I actually felt far moreLoved it! I'm not usually a supes fan but this had me the whole film. I wasn't bored for a single second and I honestly couldn't see a single negative about the film that seems to have divided most critics. I actually felt far more emotionally involved with this film than any of the new Marvel films.
Specifically I was worried about the religious undertones in this film and that it would have classic Zak Snider empty characterisation, but I think Nolan has had a really positive effect on Zak, This is by far the most interesting Superman and Zod is just pure cool.
Loved it all and was definitely one of those "I could go straight back into the cinema and watch it again" movies.
ROMLIVESJun 16, 2013
It's a shame people are so eager to hate in today's society. This move was a great retelling of a classic hero. Period. Haters keep on hating. I think some critics would simply prefer all movies be reality based romantic dramas, sorry forIt's a shame people are so eager to hate in today's society. This move was a great retelling of a classic hero. Period. Haters keep on hating. I think some critics would simply prefer all movies be reality based romantic dramas, sorry for your lack of imagination. Expand
REvolvJun 27, 2013
Instead of telling all obvious good things about this movie, I will just say that i will watch it again tomorrow. I have NEVER done this with any movie. And this is coming from a person who was never a big fan of Superman.
SagaiJun 14, 2013
Man of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyedMan of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The action sequences were absolutely amazing. The fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat, they were tough and at times brutal and ultimately just delivered what I had hoped to see out of this movie. Michael Shannon was fantastic as Zod but his female side-kick almost stole the show. Amy Adams as Louis Lane was probably my least favorite character, not because she is a bad actress and does horrible, I just have a hard time picturing her as Louis. Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane were perfectly cast and I love they signed on for what could be considered minor parts.

This is definitely one of those the critics got wrong. They have some legitimate critiques of the Man of Steel but I don't think enough weight has been given to its strengths which are many. If you listen to the critics this time around you are depriving yourself of an awesome entertainment experience. Go see it!
YolandoJun 22, 2013
Giving a solid origin story and fitting actor, "Man of Steel" takes its well known character and humanizes him, and, in the process, establishes a true hero.
XxpyrosmilexXJun 18, 2013
Why does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superbWhy does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superb and lets not even get started with the special effects. Some of the best I've seen to date! Personally, this beats the Dark Knight, Iron Man and pretty much any superhero movie ever made. Do yourself a favor and go buy yourself a ticket to go see this movie. You'll want to watch it over and over and over again! Expand
SKELETOR420Jun 21, 2013
This ain't yo daddy's Superman. Badass. Now to address the hate.

This ain't yo daddy's Superman. Badass. Now to address the hate.

This film is being torn down by people saying it's both technically terrible, and a disservice to the character. I've got news for ya: f**k Sam Raimi. Y'all want Spiderman with bright colours and comic panels come to life. If you want that, there's Superman Returns, and it was awful. Like every Superman movie except the first one, and even that has aged horribly. Go watch the Marvel movies. DC have gotten the two filmmakers who redefined the tonal spectrum of the superhero working TOGETHER. I'm sick of live action cartoons this is a film.
domecJun 16, 2013
I was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It isI was disappointed by Superman movies expect the first one. He was always a whimp in those movies He never had a great fight scene. He was not badass as he should have. Those dreams have come true. This is the ultimate Superman movie. It is epic. the cast is great. the effects are amazing. Everything falls into place. Paceing is not very good, and maybe there are lot of stuff going on but you see epic moments. There is a couple of problems. First it needed to be longer in order to have General Zod in it because it to good of a enemy to be used in the first film. He needed to be included in the second film when Superman is already known and is the guardian on Earth. But this is not the reason to not see the movie. I loved it and I think it i the best Superman movie ever. Expand
gamer4life95Jun 30, 2013
A cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for thisA cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fans have already said to ignore critics as most of their reviews are very harsh. I agree with the fans. Many of the critics compare this movie to the original superman movies as they said that those movies had more heart and humor. To me, this is very unfair and biased as they can't accept the fact that this is a reboot and thus a different Superman from the one that they remember from the original films. This new Superman is grounded, and more serious Expand
adrenilinmattJun 14, 2013
After reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie,After reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie, acted superbly on most accounts, i loved it. This is on youll just have to ignore the critics on guys, trust me. Watch the user reviews and see for yourself how good it is. Fantastic. Made up for superman returns in every way. Its fallen victim to the hobbit treatment. Fantastic movie but only the general public can see why. Just go see it. Expand
gzayas91Dec 21, 2014
The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. TheThe real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax. Expand
Compi24Feb 7, 2015
From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest andFrom its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen. Expand
Chrismith7Jun 29, 2013
Absolutely brilliant with awesome acting and awesome effects this film is the best film of 2013 and that's is not arguable at all. I don't see why the critics are saying sores like 53 out of 100 as that's wrong and they should change theirAbsolutely brilliant with awesome acting and awesome effects this film is the best film of 2013 and that's is not arguable at all. I don't see why the critics are saying sores like 53 out of 100 as that's wrong and they should change their scores to 90 at least. Expand
SpogiJun 16, 2013
The fans have spoken. This is how to make a superman movie. This is how u showcase his superpowers, his awesome strength and abilities. By giving u scenes you havent seen in any superhero movie yet. By making you pick up your jaw from theThe fans have spoken. This is how to make a superman movie. This is how u showcase his superpowers, his awesome strength and abilities. By giving u scenes you havent seen in any superhero movie yet. By making you pick up your jaw from the floor by the movies end. Maybe character isnt really supermans strong point unlike batman but it never really was even in the comics. Superman is all about taking things to a whole superhuman level and this film delivers in spades. Expand
The-Rock95Jun 16, 2013
P.s do not trust the critics review here it is complete bull. Obviously the user reviews here are far more reliable than the critics. It doesn't matter what the critics think, it matters more what the people thinks. Again this movie isP.s do not trust the critics review here it is complete bull. Obviously the user reviews here are far more reliable than the critics. It doesn't matter what the critics think, it matters more what the people thinks. Again this movie is amazing, do not let a couple of bad user reviews and critics review stop from watching man of steel. Expand
DalvikirJun 14, 2013
One of the most AMAZING movies i've seen in my live, i cried when i watched at cinema, fight sequences are EPIC!!! Dont listen Critics bad reviews, they
neilrieckJul 6, 2013
First off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his otherFirst off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in the comics, but that is okay because this is 2013 (not 1933). I am tempted to write more but have decided that what I have already written should be sufficient. Enjoy! See it on the big screen! Expand
JoeSwayJun 15, 2013
This movie was an incredible experience, hands down. The action was amazing, the story was intriguing and all the parts were well acted and engaging. Criticism's of "too much action"? Ok, fine, but it's all top notch, they didn't get lazy orThis movie was an incredible experience, hands down. The action was amazing, the story was intriguing and all the parts were well acted and engaging. Criticism's of "too much action"? Ok, fine, but it's all top notch, they didn't get lazy or rely on cliches or action tropes for a second of it. Expand
cool1707Jun 16, 2013
Thus was a great movie the performances were good there were very good fight scenes. I have given the movie a 9 because i think that the movie went on a little long and the use of 3D was not that great but apart from that great movie one ofThus was a great movie the performances were good there were very good fight scenes. I have given the movie a 9 because i think that the movie went on a little long and the use of 3D was not that great but apart from that great movie one of the best of this year Expand
KeeOneAug 16, 2013
This movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got goodThis movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got good critic reviews although majority of the fans HATED it and then Man of Steel got 55 rating but the user review have over 1,500 positive? Some do complain about the destruction of the battle but obviously something like that would take place if u had 2 overpowered kryptonians in our world....although there was alot of destrution, Superman did save the entire world from the World Engine. Expand
supercell96Jun 15, 2013
Freaking Amazing! Proper superhero fighting scene, haven't had this much fun watching people beat each other up since Dragon Ball Z. The story was intriguing and for the first time ever, they showed Krypton and it's people. The Action in thisFreaking Amazing! Proper superhero fighting scene, haven't had this much fun watching people beat each other up since Dragon Ball Z. The story was intriguing and for the first time ever, they showed Krypton and it's people. The Action in this movie deserves a 15/10. Expand
DonelweroJun 14, 2013
This is the best movie I have ever seen. Of course there are some elements that could be perfected, such as the performance of the main actor which in the end, you realize they didn't tell you so much about him and the way he reacts toThis is the best movie I have ever seen. Of course there are some elements that could be perfected, such as the performance of the main actor which in the end, you realize they didn't tell you so much about him and the way he reacts to things.
Besides that, the movie is just awesome, super fast paced, an incredible story. I just want to say that: justice has been done to the most awesome superhero of all. You get to watch him in all his glory, there are no doubts about his strength and capabilities.
The best movie (superhero movie, at least) that I have EVER seen.
HazaRDReborNMay 1, 2015
Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
This is by far the best Superman film to date.
Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton.
Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
owen445xJun 14, 2013
If someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like thisIf someone thinks this is a bad movie.. they must be a zombie or a die hard twilight fan because Edward wasn't in it or something like that. I can't honestly remember the last time I have been to a movie and so blown away by a movie like this did. I felt like I needed someone to help hold my arm when the credits were rolling because this movie was so freaking intense and awesome! I don't suggest that you watch this movie.. I'm TELLING you to go see this movie! grab your wife, kids, pet dog sparky and haul a$$ to the theater! Expand
heinJun 15, 2013
After the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder andAfter the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero and unlike the (2006) movie delivers magnificently on the action as well. Do not miss it. Expand
G0ddeityJun 16, 2013
Best superman movie period. The people who rate this movie as the worst movie ever are trolls and all their comments are childish and offensive to other reviewers. This only lead me to think all the haters are really just nuts and childish people.
wadisplaceJun 14, 2013
I always have respect for the critics on this sight. But they must have been smoking something to only give this movie a 55. I saw the movie in 3D at the Midnight showing. IT IS AMAZING!!! The story line. The graphics. The specialI always have respect for the critics on this sight. But they must have been smoking something to only give this movie a 55. I saw the movie in 3D at the Midnight showing. IT IS AMAZING!!! The story line. The graphics. The special effects. Best movie I have seen this year. Expand
cewatmuJun 15, 2013
Bottom line, if you've always hoped for a more epic, action-packed Superman movie, then you have to give Man of Steel a try. But, if you really liked the character-driven Superman Returns (the previous Superman movie), then this movie may notBottom line, if you've always hoped for a more epic, action-packed Superman movie, then you have to give Man of Steel a try. But, if you really liked the character-driven Superman Returns (the previous Superman movie), then this movie may not be for you. Personally, I was really disappointed with Superman Returns. I thought it was way too slow, and quite frankly, boring. No one wants to see a heartless Superman who solely exists to fight bad guys and save the world, but I think the reason so many people feel in love with Superman, in the comics, was because of his abilities (and his "rescues"). And this movie, unlike Superman Returns, thrived on showing them off. Yet, with that said, it did not fail to provide like-able characters. They may not have had much depth, but when they came on-screen, they succeeded in fulfilling their roles. As a result, in my opinion, Man of Steel perfectly blended the action and plot needed to achieve an epic film within a 2 hour time-frame. Superman spent plenty of time saving people in this film, but you never had those cheesy moments in between that were simply unnecessary. There was very little Clark Kent, the reporter. And I liked that. Ultimately, this was exactly the kind of Superman film I wanted. Action-wise, it captured Superman in a way he's never been seen before, the script provided a down-to-earth Superman that was very believable, and the score, provided by Hans Zimmer, perfectly set the tone for the movie. It's early but I loved this film, and I think it may be one of my favorites. Expand
daan14acdcJul 1, 2013
this movie has it al amezing action and some cry moments and amezing acting with russel crowe and the amezing other people in this movie its so good with a lilte sci fie elements and extreme music from hans zimmer its just so good do notthis movie has it al amezing action and some cry moments and amezing acting with russel crowe and the amezing other people in this movie its so good with a lilte sci fie elements and extreme music from hans zimmer its just so good do not lissen to the critics this movie is just sooo amezing so gat of your lasy as and go f.... see this movie Expand
ViolettJul 16, 2013
55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall55 from critics? What the hell. This movie deserves while not 10 from 10 but very high mark anyways. This movie is full of action, when I say full I mean REALLY FULL. It is very bright and dynamic summer blockbuster, it has more speciall effects than Transformers alltogether and more action than Crank. It even has plot! Simple plot, but most of blockbusters dont have it at all. I understand drama and art-house lovers may find this movie offending for their sensitive feelings, but I believe they are just a minority from crowd. Definitely worth wachig. I also reccomend critics to rethink their marks. Expand
KrunkTXJun 14, 2013
After watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the onlyAfter watching Man of Steel, I immediately came here to give it a review. I am not surprised at the terrible score these "critics" gave this movie, as most of them are complete idiots anyways. The user score is and always will be the only score that matters, and that is exactly what you should be paying attention to if you are an undecided Superman fan who's skeptical whether or not this movie will deliver.

This might have been pre-programmed in my own mind as to how great this movie was, considering the list of failures so far in 2013. Biggest of note, would be Iron Man 3, but those details will be more suited for it's own review which I plan on writing soon. The pace, writing/script/story and amazing action/effects is what makes this movie one of the best of 2013 so far. A massive redemption overshadowing the must forget "Superman Returns" which hung on the thread of Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Lex Luther. General Zod was the perfect choice as the super villain for this franchise launch(hopefully it's successful enough to be a new franchise), and was well played by Michael Shannon. His female concubine was nearly equally as impressive, her sexiness and powerful warrior spirit pumped just the right amount of juice into what a mighty pair of foes should be like for Superman to face.

The background story was touching, well written and was perfectly balanced not to bore your eyeballs out in meaningless cry baby scenes of over-emotion(IE Tobey Maguire's Spiderman trilogy). No one would have been a better fit for Jor-El than Russell Crowe. Krypton and it's people/technology have never been portrayed in such great detail and special fx. This movie, as a Superman movie SHOULD, never skimps on the epic action that is the god like red caped hero.

So if you're not a pompous, over-arrogant, jaded, over-critical critic and are a huge DC comic/Dark Knight series fan, then this movie is a MUST SEE. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are more like the critics, not the users who write reviews here, move along as a cheesy romantic comedy might be more up your alley.
W1ndW0lfJun 16, 2013
As a lifelong Superman fan and reader of the comics, I enjoyed the new approach which also kept the essence of the cannon. This film finally saw Superman let loose against a global threat in a scale worthy of the comic books. Henry CavillAs a lifelong Superman fan and reader of the comics, I enjoyed the new approach which also kept the essence of the cannon. This film finally saw Superman let loose against a global threat in a scale worthy of the comic books. Henry Cavill looked and acted the part extremely well. There is an argument for more story in the second half but it would have sacrificed the action which many fans have been waiting to see for a long time. Expand
fungifeetJun 14, 2013
Man of steel is truly a master piece. Snider has revived an amazing hero universe and made it special. The critics have called this film average but the public love it. This film is a piece of art.
RecomediaJun 19, 2013
Superman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt ofSuperman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt of being forged in empyrean; an essential god simply created to out-do whatever other heroes had been envisioned at the time; a simple product of testosterone fueled imaginations. At least that’s how it seems to me, and yet, that very individual is the champion of what could very well be one of my favorite movies of the past few years, Man of Steel.

Sure, call it high praise, but I’m serious; it’s at least managed to claim the title of “Favorite Superhero Movie,” quite easily. Before I get into it, let me talk about the biggest issue and then clarify it for you: this isn’t Christopher Nolan’s movie. I lost track of how many times, when talking about Man of Steel, people have claimed, “Well it’s gotta be good, Nolan did it.” No, he didn’t. He is one of five or so executive producers, and had a finger or two not even a hand in its entirety in the story (though, arguably he is the one that had this project green lit, so cheers to that). Similarly, many reviews suggest that Director Zack Snyder attempted to “Nolan-ize” Superman, but assuming that causes expectations to never be fulfilled this is not The Dark Knight with Superman. So let’s give commendation to those who may have gone unnoticed under Nolan’s shadow: Snyder and Writer David Goyer.

Read more http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/man-of-steel-review/
blockofcheeseJun 14, 2013
THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating andTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
zepoxiJul 13, 2013
Simply put, best Superman movie ever made, period.
Finally some action, we all know the back story, this movie gives it a good twist. Seen it twice, worth every cent.
GFCAug 10, 2013
A truely amazing film. Finally what the fans have been waiting for a truely amazing Superman movie. I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Just some random text to fill the void.
igor789Jul 16, 2013
The movie we all have been waiting for. It's just incredible and much better when you see it twice. Amazing action, spectacular visual effects, tremendous acting, powerful soundtrack and well composed story. I must say that Antje Traue wasThe movie we all have been waiting for. It's just incredible and much better when you see it twice. Amazing action, spectacular visual effects, tremendous acting, powerful soundtrack and well composed story. I must say that Antje Traue was one of my favourite and Henry Cavill is, by far, the best Superman after Christopher Reeve. 10/10 Expand
thor92Jun 14, 2013
Absolutely love, every actor was perfect for the part, Man of Steel is made of legend. He resurrected the Superman's mythos. All in this movie was worthy of attenction
RhaeJun 14, 2013
You'll believe a man can fly: this is the greatest cinecomic I've ever seen. Perfect in every aspect. Cavill is the real heir to the mighty Christopher Reeve.
19 of 30 users found this helpful1911
IronManiacJun 14, 2013
Love this movie, it's perfect it's definitly the best way to made a cinecomic, simply amazing, made me forget the orrible Iron Trashman 3, You'll believe a man can fly.
m2727xzJun 14, 2013
best movie ever cant see why those critic don't see what I see bunch of idiots that movie was the best got great actors great action bunch of other things