7.7

1. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superman returns to the big screen in a way disappointing. It's not a bad movie or a good movie, It's just a disappointing movie. The movie has plot points we already seen: Kal-El borns, he is sent to another planet and raised by farmers...etc. after discovering he has super powers, he wants to know why they sent him do Earth. That's it. Nothing more, he destroys half of Metropolis, let innocent people die and then kills Zod. Man of Steel could been much better if Zack Snyder didn't put his hands on it. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    The number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting by Zach Snyder. Snyder is more interested in showing us an artsy action scene than in ever allowing us to connect to a character. The first half of the movie is all backstory, then there's OVER AN HOUR of non-stop destruction. Yawn. Watching one skyscraper after another after another get destroyed becomes a mind-numbing display of endless repetition. The Dark Knight proved a superhero movie doesn't have to be about destroying a bunch of buildings to be exciting. Which may explain why that's possibly the best superhero movie and this is a minimal Avengers ripoff. Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    How the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, and I give credit to all the other screenwriters involved as well. The movie does bog down in too much action towards the end, but since it's all handled spectacularly it doesn't matter much. Man of Steel is no campy comic-book movie. It's a work of art. My faith in the critics has been shaken but not broken. My guess is that the film will be re-evaluated more positively in the future just like Blade Runner or 2001. Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good superhero movie...

But a terrible Superman movie.
    Look up on Google "Truth Justice" or "Truth Justice and the American Way", and you will see Superman connected to the 3rd auto finish. Both the top two sites are also linked with Superman.
    Early on in the movie you see "Superman" lie, steal, and you see Superman's Earth dad ,Jonathan Kent( Kevin Costner), infer that saving a school bus of kids wasn't a good choice. Those are some great morals this "new superman" has been brought up on.
    Throughout the 45-minute-bashfest-ending it seemed like this new superman had almost no regard for where fights would happen. One scene Zod and cohorts come to confront Mrs. Kent and what does superman do? Drive one away while leaving the other two to do whatever they wished with his Earth mother.
    As if all this isn't bad enough. No matter superman's intentions, the death toll has been estimated by a disaster expert as being between 139,000 and 389,000 and over a million injured. Though he may have fought to protect them, how can they not lay some of the blame upon him? A dubious start to a 'hero' and not Superman.
  5. Apr 3, 2014
    Lots of controversy over this film. In the end I did really enjoy it though. Sure, it wasn't as spectacular as The Dark Knight, but it had moments that were getting there. The CGI in this movie in phenomenal as well. I would recommend this movie to others, but please, don't compare it to Nolan's films.
  6. Apr 1, 2014
    Kevin Costner jumps in a tornado to show superman how it works. He dies. I've laughed for the rest of the film. Lois imprisoned in the room with every single button to escape from the ship, people trapped in a cock shaped ship that want revenge.
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a pretty good retailing of Superman, even though I'm not that much of a Superman fan, however I think it was mostly the beginning of this film that I enjoyed. It did a very good job at telling the origin story of Superman and I thought it had some actually really good scenes; it had some nice emotional moments and other moments that I really liked. Unfortunately this movie that was going alright fell a bit flat around the middle. I mainly thought some of the action shown near the ending was a little to much. I mean that city near the end was a little over done. There were tons of explosions and destroyed buildings and I just thought that is mainly where the film was struggling, just trying to do way too much at the end. So the beginning was going well but that ending is kind of what killed the movie overall for me. However, it may just be because I'm not much of a Superman fan; so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you should see this movie or not. Expand
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    Couple problems here and there. Main problems I had with it were the shaky cam, and there's a good 5 - 10 minutes where Jor-El recounts the first 15 minutes of the film, WHICH WE SAW. Also, Lois Lane being asked to board Zod's ship, and then they just sort of... forgot about her. Really, they take her on the ship, then put her into a cell, and just forget about her. No explanation as to why she was needed.
    That said, it's still an enjoyable film. Well worth seeing.
  9. Mar 30, 2014
    Superman has finally been given the justice he deserves in film. The action is phenomenal, the origin story feels fresh, and General Zod is as threatening as ever. Seeing Cavil in the Superman costume for the first time is an inspiring moment. The complaints I've heard about this movie seem ridiculous at times. It's time to let go of Reeves' dated Superman movies. Perhaps they were good for their time, but it's time Superman step properly into the present day. Expand
  10. Mar 26, 2014
    This is my favorite movie of all time, I didn't see any flaws on it, or unless I didn't see any reason to hate it like some people that found this movie awful saying it doesn't have nothing to do with the comic but still enjoy movies like the dark knight rises...
    Don't believe on anything they say, this movie is amazing and even those who said it sucks, are waiting for the sequel...
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    Before I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and will be said many times again and for good reason man of steel shows that reason with flying colors something else i loked was that it showed when supermans integrity was being challenged you could we that he wanted to hurt the people taunting him and insuIting him i thought that was something cool to see because its something relatable with all of us theres always somewhere out there doing something to purposely hurt us but we try to show self restraint and as for the action the action in this movie was flawless very smooth and didn't have a bunch of CGI except when necessary (superspeed, laser vision etc) the thing a lot of people say about this movie was to much action I say yes and no he was fighting off an alien invasion after all but I think there was also to much action because the the final battle didn't have that give you goosebumps feeling and it didn't have the suspense I think a final battle should have but what I did like was how it showed off what could happen when two kryptonians go at it but after this review I'm gonna give it a 7 out of 10 Expand
  12. Mar 19, 2014
    I would have walked out on this dog after 15 minutes if I hadn't invested a kingly sum in tickets, popcorn, candy and pop. I hated everything about this film. 1. Crappy handheld jerky camera work throughout the whole film. 2. Natural color washed out with a blue tone. 3. Ridiculous, never-ending jumbled flashbacks. And believe it or not, this poor excuse for a director was hired to do a sequel. No thanks- I'll be popping corn at home watching a Marvel movie instead. Expand
  13. Mar 18, 2014
    well,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes saving people. nonetheless this movie is not bad Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2014
    I will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogy and are handled very chronologically. You always have to deal with the hero having that awkward phase where they are trying to find themselves. It's a fine premise but most of the time it consumes way too much of the movie. The origin story in this movie is handled very well with the flashbacks of the past at appropriate times that last as long as they need to to get the point across while the main story in the present progresses. This film does have flaws that would take a long time for me to explain but flaws and all I enjoyed this film. It never bored me or made me hope it was gonna wrap up. I understand not every hero movie should take the Dark Knight formula of realism but it had a good balance of fantasy and realism. I dare say.... no I'm gonna say it I enjoyed this movie WAY more than Dark Knight Rises and think it's a superior movie (raise your pitchforks at me if you must). Expand
  15. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it is in a league of its own). In this regard at least, Man of Steel has been original in that not only a lot of deaths were hinted at, some of them were shown right on screen without any qualms. Call that creative if you will, or whatever, for better or for worse the invincible man himself could not keep every single human being on the planet safe from death.

Henry Cavill is cast as Superman. He is charismatic, charming and good-looking, and perhaps the best cast for the role. Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, the much older love interest. Diane Lane is cast as Kent's mother on Earth. Russell Crowe portrays Superman's biological father, and is seen throughout the movie at key moments. Michael Shannon is General Zod, the villain who equals Superman in strength and skill, essentially rendering the former's physical superiority redundant, for he has followers too which brings the odds of numbers into play the same way any human encounters and confrontations would have.

Nolan's involvement is palpable. A sense of realism was attempted to be incorporated. For example, the name Superman is not uttered until three quarters into the second hour. The buildings collapse as the larger than life opponents battle it out. Cars are crushed and fires break out. It's safe to say that people die in great numbers.

The first hour is mainly about Superman's origins. We get to see Krypton, the alien home-world, for the first time. Unlike the other instalments in the franchise, Kent is nearing middle age before he decides (or is forced by circumstances) to take an active part in saving people openly. Before that, he roams around incognito and changes jobs and identities if he is forced by his good nature to save someone's skin. Some of his childhood on Earth is also explored.

It is around the one and a half hour mark when the larger chunk of the budget for the movie begins to show, and it depletes quickly as the action sequences follow one another in succession until the very end.

The film was an interesting take on the superhero concept. A degree of realism was certainly there. The lead was a good choice. And the whole idea of beings of superhuman strength getting it on with each other in the middle of civilization and spreading carnage indiscriminately was something that would have been virtually impossible to depict on screen before the advent of visual effects. But still something was missing. An ingredient which would have perhaps brought it to a final, perfect conclusion. I can't fault it for it for I could not say what they could have done differently. But I had a good time, if not stellar, so I will rate it accordingly.
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Ugh just no It was aweful I hated it.................save yourself the time...................and don't watch it.............don't lie to me ****......gurl
  17. Mar 1, 2014
    Entertainment Monthly: 96% 9.6-Man of Steel provides exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its detours into generic blockbuster territory. Man of Steel is more than just Avengers-sized escapism; it's an artistic introduction to a movie superhero we only thought we knew. This movie had non stop fun, packed with ripping entertaiment. This movie hit me like a harpoon.
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from the night she meets him, and she knows him as Clark soon after. Also, the two of them had little dialogue during the movie, so it was weird when they got together at the end. I kept thinking "but you don't even really know her..." and we really didn't as the audience either. We got the Kal-El/Clark Kent backstory, but other than that, there was little character development. They didn't feel like real people we cared about. This movie focused a lot on action and didn't have time for dialogue or characters...and some people like the action scenes, but I personally am not into that. I care more about the characters and that they have believability as real people. One of the critiques I hear a lot from people comparing super heroes is that they don't like superman because he's too perfect and inhuman. This movie has more of a gritty, dark Clark Kent, so I guess he's more human in a way, but he seemed like a cold, brooding jerk, and not like someone I wanted to know. I would prefer to see the Superman franchise go for more of a likable, relatable Clark Kent. Expand
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    Movie Is Not That Great But Its Good !!! ** Man Of Steel ** Positive : * This movie brings out the origin stories of the most iconic character of all the time " Super Man " .The movie display life of superman as he survives with so much hardship among the people he is living with . Since he is different from others he must try to hide himself until the time arrives and finally becoming a hero and savior when trouble arrives that will put lives in danger .The Story Arc that surrounds super man is complete dark theme you can say this by simply watching the movie during screen play its done perfectly .

* This Movie has a cast of good actors and they have done great job of acting . Henry Cavill has done a good job of portraying super man in this movie but there are also other actors who were perfect in their respective roles such as Amy Adams as Lois Lane , Michael Shannon as General Zod and Russell Crowe as Jor-El etc .. This Movie has advantage of having good actors which they performed excellent in terms of acting .

* The Hans Zimmer once again did a great job of composing back ground theme for this movie its very fantastic !! he is simply great !! .

* The Director of this movie is Zack Snyder did a marvelous job of bringing super man in big screen by giving all the excitement and fire works but not only that this movie quite dramatic it clearly sparkles with all advantages its has gathered .

* The Visual Effect did a perfect job in this movie during screen play we can even see how well this film utilized visual effects to its core and its beautiful to watch and enjoy .

Negative :

* The Story has multiple amount of errors or holes .The story for this movie should have been simple but they tried make it look very complex by adding more special features yet it didn't work out instead it made so much errors or plot holes !! .

* The entire movie is very much predictable its destroys the surprise and mystery !!. You can even predict the outcome of the certain screen play when you are watching this movie which is a huge let down !! .

* The Action Sequence in this movie is very hard to observe . The fighting scene in this movie like when a video is fast forwarded the scenes skips so fast like that !! its happens so fast its gets even difficult to watch a certain fight scene .

* The Chemistry between super man and lois lane is so overly pushed their chemistry did not worked out during screen play .

* The Movie is secretly agrees that is an updated version Superman(1978) and Superman 2(1980) since it has more visual effect and fireworks than these previous movies .

Overall Result :

* This movie worst for some people and huge entertainer for others i say its mixture of both !!!

Man Of Steel :*****

(5/10) Stars
  20. Feb 27, 2014
    I would have posted a lengthy review of Man of Steel, until I read Ann Hornaday's Washington Post article on this film. I recommend you find it here on Metacritic and read it completely because she took the words right out of my mouth.
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    Easily best Superman-movie ever made! Script, acting, soundtrack, Superman's costume.. everything is just one big "WOW!"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie!
  22. Feb 18, 2014
    Sigh... Once again this was horrible... Where to even start?! - Lame and boring action (and not enough of that even) - Dumb story and then still filled with plotholes - Superman is retarded in this one - Superman is a killer in this one (wastes thousands of people for no reason) - Worst Lois Lane ever, who can teleport and **** in this one - The comic relief sucked assss - Only Zod was okay the rest of the villains were terrible
    - Way too **** long (dont mind long movies unless they contain a lot of filler **** like this one)
    - This is not a superman movie and even as a regular action movie its terrible...
    - the tornado scene just raped every superman fan in the brains
    - pa kent and young superman were cringeworthy so stupid, dumb and nonsensical...

SCREW YOU HOLLYWOOD
  23. Feb 17, 2014
    Great cast, brilliant effects, bad plot. Man of Steel is a rather generic superhero movie. We see his origins and randomly dive into the future, then constantly back and forth to his childhood and back to a fully grown Kal-El. It would've been interesting to see if the movie had actually brought these flashbacks in randomly for a reason, but unfortunately, the flashbacks usually happen and are then completely forgotten about. The writing also consistently talks about how special Superman is to the world, it's the only thing they ever seem to talk about throughout the entire movie leaving very little time for character development. While the ending is what most fans tend to rip apart, to me it seemed an interesting take on the dark role Superman now has to take in this much more serious adaptation of the comic books. Superman is put to the true test of questioning what is truly right and if he has the courage to pay the price to save the planet he was raised on. I felt this was the strong point of the movie, there should've been more focus on it. However, I found Johnathan Kent in this movie to be extremely frustrating. He often told Clark to do one thing, then sometime later he'd say to do the exact opposite. Like in the flashback when Clark saves kids from drowning in his school bus, one minute John tells Clark he could let them die to keep his identity safe, then he shows him the ship he arrived in and tells him 'You're the answer to "Are we alone in the universe?" and describes how big a change he will make to the world when he reveals himself, then in a later flashback he tells him he should never reveal himself and become a farmer as he is, *spoiler* his demise is pointless and feels terribly done as Superman reveals himself a few years later. Some see the point of what Johnathan was telling Superman, but I struggle to understand why he told him so many different things at once. The action sequences are gripping and blood pumping, this makes them extremely enjoyable to watch for any Superman fan, but these can't be used to sugarcoat the whole movie. Promotions are also used all the way through, for example when Superman and Zod fly into Sears for no apparent reason, it just demonstrates advertisers desperation to promote their products. Overall, the film isn't terrible, but neither is it the masterpiece it was promising many hopeful movie goers. It gives me very little hope for the Justice League movie (if it ever actually happens) if the makers keep following this formula. Expand
  24. Feb 13, 2014
    Man of Steel is highly overrated, it's a decent film at best because it's not the definitive Superman movie. Henry Cavill is no Christopher Reeve but at least he's an improvement over Brandon Routh. It's a long-overdue reboot for the franchise but I'm really disappointed by the lack of character development and the movie spends nearly an hour and a half retelling the origins of Superman that we all know to well. Kal-El is born, Krypton gets destroyed, Kal-El is sent to Earth to save their species, ponders his existence, finds out who and what he is, finds out about his parents and where he comes from, finally has a purpose in life, becomes Superman, saves people, Lois, people generally accepts him. There's really no need to spends hours telling a story that everyone is already familiar with, even the reboot of Spider-Man got the origin story over and done with within minutes and we got to see all the other characters in action. This is the problem with Man of Steel, it spends so much time telling this story that they completely forget about all the other characters in the film; even Lois feels diminished. On the other hand, I do like how the story is told. Whereas most action or superhero movies go from one action sequence to another (which can abruptly interrupt with the story), Man of Steel tells the whole story first before they overload on set pieces and CGI effects. I just don't understand how at the end of the fight, the whole city looks like an apocalypse and they're able to fix it so quickly. But I'm guessing with the help of Superman, anything is possible. The amount of action is absurd and buildings falling down is so cheesy but I enjoyed every minute of it, especially when Zod uses some machine that can lift up cars and smashes them back down (that was pretty epic). But obviously, the special effects doesn't any significance to the film. Overall, it's an above-average film. I was a bit disappointed though because we were long-overdue for a Superman film and I really expected better. Whoever tells you that it's better than the first two Superman films, and even Superman Returns, is lying to you. That's how overrated this movie is because a lot of people would go as far as to say that. Man of Steel is better than Superman 3 and 4 obviously (because those were terrible) but it's the weakest "good" Superman entry in the franchise. Expand
  25. Feb 6, 2014
    Man Of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of the year! It had an awesome beginning with action at an high speed with stunning special effects. The music that Hans Zimmer composed is amazing, never heard anything more spectacular in my whole life! I can't understand those who dislike this wonderful movie, but if you must point finger on someone it got to be Zack Snyder, I mean come, on what kind of unique and great movies has he made, well it can't be Christopher Nolan's fault. The movie got a great story, and I never got bored, because there is anything to get bored of! The movie got some weak parts, because there were some places when the special effects could have been better (like fire) and of course there are much unique and spectacular things in this movie, but some of them I've already seen in other movies. Another bad thing is that the movie had in some places "jumping" scenes, as if there were something missing between two scenes, which made it a little strange, and it might have been a little to much fighting near the end of the movie, and I also think that they could have done more in the 2 hours and 23 minutes, but the ending thought, couldn't have been awesome as it is, and I can't wait until the next movie of the Man Of Steel sequel comes out! Man Of Steel is a spectacular, awesome, stunning, cool and a SUPER-MOVIE.
    Man of Steel gets a 9/10
  26. Feb 5, 2014
    I do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he is not from this planet , and that's his fault so many people died .
    Now opinion about the movie.

The film begins with a scene of birth of Superman ( Henry Cavill ) . General Zod ( Michael Shannon ) conceives revolution in krypton . Father of Superman 's ( Russell Crowe ) against Zod and kidnaps its confluence with the code body of Kal-El. He gives Kal-El write your opinion . Zod and his revolutionaries sent into space. Krypton explodes , and we came to earth .

Clark Kent seems to us exile rolling from one place to another. He lives with his adoptive mother, Martha Kent ( Diane Lane ) on the farm. Through a series of memories, we know from childhood moments Clark. As he realized who he really is , how he learned to cope with their own . Suddenly the earth invades General Zod to turn the land into a new Krypton . Superman must stop him .

Man of Steel appears to us a new reading of the classics, but it gives preference to the old films . Man of Steel is made beautifully and gloomy. In supervising Christopher Nolan film appears to us more realistic as Nolan Batman . The cast is simply gorgeous. Henry Cavill coped well with the role of Superman. It is perfectly suited to Superman physically . Amy Adams played well Lois Lane . But unfortunately it is not very good looks with Cavill . Michael Shannon has turned out one of the
    best villains comic book movies . Superman 's father and stepfather turned out excellent. The film's soundtrack is very stressful and exciting .

verdict

Man of Steel is an excellent and intense film with a great cast and a gorgeous soundtrack. Man of Steel Superman best film since the days of Richard Donner film and best film in the comic books in 2013 .
    Rating 4/5
  27. Feb 3, 2014
    今年最好看的超级英雄电影,特别是前面90分钟对于超人的前世今生寻找自我的心路历程描写的超赞,片头氪星超美,最后的打斗戏眼花缭乱较为平庸但还是比较震撼。配乐超级棒,摄影和剪辑超棒。亨利卡维尔的超人演得真棒!
  28. Feb 2, 2014
    Can't say i have ever seen anything superman related before this movie, so my review is solely based on the film itself rather than its place within its universe and to be honest i liked it.

Sure there are some problems i kinda feel that the first section on Krypton should have been longer and it would have been interesting to see Clarke (or whatever you want to call him) growing up on
    earth in a more fleshed out manner but the film handles them well enough.

What it really excels at however is the action scenes which if your into explosions and huge effects are pretty awesome and the music during these scenes is pretty good also, although it did remind me a lot of Mass Effect 3 with the world maker looking like a reaper and some of the same musical effects being shared. (thats not a fact they just sound really really similar in places) Louis's character is also pretty well fleshed out and although she does get saved a lot she handles herself pretty well overall.

I feel like i'm missing what all the controversy is about, as far as i can tell Man of Steel is a good action movie that kept me enthralled throughout. Personally i enjoyed Man of Steel more than films like the avengers which i felt was massively overrated....then again it may just be me.
  29. Feb 1, 2014
    Es monumental, es ÉPICA, es colosal, tiene momentos emocionantes, que se me ponía la piel de gallina, por fin vemos a Superman haciendo cosas de Superman después de lo basura que fue Superman Returns, espero mas en la secuela.
  30. Jan 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, Man of Steel has severe structural problems amidst it's wonderful coming of age and child story of Clark, and rockets with nearly half a film of yawning action lacking emotion and motivation to care. It's an inspiring vision breaded for 14 & under, but the editing and execution in post-production squanders the potential for a smoothly paced, build-up to heroism and the mystery within. Altogether, it's no Kinder Surprise. Expand
  31. Jan 30, 2014
    In the year's biggest disappointment Man Of Steel manages to give us the trailers, hype and intimate story we like being from Chris Nolan. However everything you saw in the trailers have been mashed into a superhero epic that has pacing problems, narrative problems and it's an unfortunate mess. There are a few things to like here, but it's in the final hour of excrutiating overlong action that is the regurditation of a draining party. Expand
  32. Jan 30, 2014
    If this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached to forced drama, and a lot of other crap that fools the dumb popcorn eating masses into thinking it is good.
  33. Jan 29, 2014
    This film beats the Avengers by miles. It shows the inside struggle of the Man of Steel. The effects are incredible. The villain isn't typical at all like all other movies have tried.
  34. Jan 28, 2014
    I loved the first half of the movie, it introduces a nice and smart story in a dynamic way. The second half, on the other hand, includes extremely exaggerated situations and actions scenes that make you believe the director forgot about the main message of the film and became only concern about the visual effects.
  35. Jan 25, 2014
    Man of Steel tells the story of how Clark Kent became Superman. It shows the hard times Clark had like bullying, his dad's death and trying to keep his super powers a secret. The main villain of this movie is General Zod, who killed Clark's original dad in the beginning of the movie. The movie has some really epic action scenes like the fights between Superman and Zod, which lasted for quite some time but they were still epic. When I first saw Clark Kent as an adult, I wondered why Tom Welling did not reprise his role as Clark Kent for the movie, but Henry Cavill still did a great job with it.

The only problems I had with the movie was the lack of character development and the one scene where the actor for General Zod was kinda overacting but overall it was a great movie and I don't know why critics do not like the movie, it is really good movie.
  36. Jan 23, 2014
    Man of Steel was a great entertainer, but the logic and the common sense part of me just really didn't cope with this film logic. This is one of those films which has a solid story line but under not great direction. This Team spent so much time creating the planet Kerpton with no logic into it. If you can build hovercraft and space ship and crap I don't think any one would ever want to choose a dragonish creature, it is like a choice between the fastest car and a pony, that is just one aspect of it. The other is the dialogues they must have spent more time writing more creative once, rather than "Your are monster! I must save the Earth from you." what crap was that, so much of traditional heroish one. Lastly, he returns to work after a week or so, I mean which society would accept a Super-Man, even after he saving the globe.

However I really did not critic but this film is recommended for those who don't find mistakes or complain.
  37. Jan 10, 2014
    Convincing and reasonably intelligent re-imagining of how Superman became Clark Kent. Rather more of a piece than the earlier Christopher Reeve films. This time Henry Cavill dons the cloak and tights, in what is a good choice for the comic book hero. The special visual effects are numerous and outstandingly good. Michael Shannon is a fearsome villain in a cast which also includes the ubiquitous Amy Adams (somewhat coasting it here) as Lois Lane. Expand
  38. Jan 6, 2014
    Better then Superman returns, great plot, average acting, was a lot less cheesy then i expected. While the plot is great it is rather rushed and im not entirely sure how long Lois was searching for Clark making it kinda awkward in my opinion when they kiss near the end of the film
    Overall the film does a great job bring superman to a modern era where superhero movies are a lot more
    gritty and dark slightly believable.

Man Of Steel is 8/10
  39. Jan 5, 2014
    A lifeless tiresome drag of one huge explosion followed by another. The directing, writing, and editing are all pretty bad. The characters don't feel real and identifiable. Top it all off was the fact that there was no comedy relief from this bore.
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    Disappointing but a good movie overall. Zack Snyder make the same mistake which he made in 300, the same thing over and over again in a fight scene. But that's at the end so it's alright. Overall Man of Steel is a good film even if it did not live up to my expectations.
  41. Dec 29, 2013
    Plot holes everywhere really story with some absolutely unbelievably good action sequences. Lois Lane should of been cut from the movie altogether her unlikely appearance at top secret military outposts, poorly written script and general blandness make her a totally forgettable character. You need to decide on the man your going to be??? you're going to be the sort of man that could save you earth father and doesn't? a man that stands their and does nothing and watches him die??? really???? WTF????? who writes this sh*t.

Russell Crow as Jor-El however was epic
  42. Dec 27, 2013
    First of all I agree with critiqs, Secondly i refoosed to watch lis but my husband and wif bot me it 4 chrissmas. lis movie is new. whiich we all know means it's bad becoz lis genreation suks. in the steel boy there is a boy baby lat shoots into earth on rockit ship, len Peter Parker is at a farm len his unclile ben dies in tornado. len Loki coms up in new york and try blow up erth len he kills loki len he lovs Jean Grey and kiss her len a army gurl says he hot. movee ovur it new which mean it bad coz lis generateiotn sux coz i miss youth WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Say helpfool coz vry sarcasteec revyew. Expand
  43. Dec 25, 2013
    I could care less about how many plot holes there are. Sure, after being written by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zach Snyder, I was expecting something truly amazing. Of coarse, I'm always wrong about these things. It was still good, but not by the crappy acting or the plot holes, but the action. I try to avoid looking at how well the characters are developed, and more onto how the film was directed. It was directed well. Expand
  44. Dec 22, 2013
    A typical American movie. Crazy budget, great visuals, lots of explosions but no real substance. The direction is fantastic and the explosions look great in high definition. The underlying premise isn't too shabby but lacks major development. Most of the time anything exciting which happens does so for the sake of it. There seems to be no connection between any of the characters, the action is far too OTT and there are a number of unexplained events. All that aside, Man of Steel certainly doesn't lack funding. It does however, lack a compelling story and is far too unrealistic to take seriously. Even though it's not bad, you quickly become bored with it all. Expand
  45. Dec 21, 2013
    I liked the Batman more but this is incredible. Znyder and Nolan are a great duo. What I do not like that it becomes a little thick. The special effects, the closure, the performances and the narrative make this a masterpiece is back. The best of it if Superman.
  46. Dec 20, 2013
    Man of Steel is a nice little round of CGI fisticuffs. Explosions go bang, buildings go crash and super-people get smashed through all manner of concrete items. But where's the fun? And more importantly, where's the heart? Whilst not a terrible film, Man of Steel could have (and should have) been a lot better.
  47. Dec 20, 2013
    Holy crapstacks Batman! It's official. This director shall forever be known as Hack Snyder. That's 3 horrific bombs in a row and yet this man is revered as genius. Can anyone answer why? He's another Michael Bay. His characters are flat and soulless. His actors are always chewing scenery and completely over the top. The action is ridiculous and akin to watching someone play their XBox for 2 hours. Thank god there was about 11 minutes of credits. I kept checking to see how much longer the pain would last. This is one giant stinking excrement of a movie and Warner Brothers is letting him make another one? I'm going to go watch Richard Donner's 1978 classic. You know, the one with heart, passion, great characters that you actually care about and a story that leaves you with a smile, not headed to the toilet. How far we have slipped as an audience to accept this crap. Expand
  48. Dec 17, 2013
    "Man of Steel" has some terrific and intense 3-D action but needs more humor and emotion. There are some excellent and beautiful visual effects, but the fact that Henry Cavill who plays Superman, is not very emotional, disappointed me.
  49. BKM
    Dec 17, 2013
    The final hour or so of Zack Snyder's Superman reboot nearly results in sensory overload with its relentless action sequences and eye popping special effects. But before it reaches that point, a solid foundation has been built for future installments of the franchise which will hopefully focus more on The Man of Steel's internal conflict and serve up more worthy villains. Bring on Lex Luthor!
  50. Dec 17, 2013
    More of the way over the top special effects attempting to make up for lack of story and characterization. Not surprised given that Zack Snyder directed. Only plus: ability to fast-forward through the interminably stupid fight scenes since I rented it from Red Box.
  51. Dec 16, 2013
    not the superman i know.good FX,bad movie.This was like watching Smallville but worse.
    Snyder next time read the comic book.This is a good example on how to ruin a comic book character.
  52. Dec 16, 2013
    No redeeming value. Big budget, dumb plot, just action sequence after action sequence. When two invincible people fight, how do you decide what a "deadly" move is? I just don't get it.
  53. Dec 16, 2013
    It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
    He wears a giant S on his
    CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
    This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
    That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
    Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
    The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
    The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.
  54. Dec 15, 2013
    Man of Steel hooked me from start to finish. The movie is longer than most, but I think the time it takes to lay out the story is time well spent. It ended up being a more satisfying experience than watching the usual action movie. I'll be watching it a second time.
  55. Dec 14, 2013
    A subpar reboot of an amazing film franchise. The effects and acting are quite good however the story is too complex and Superman is not a sympathetic character.
  56. Dec 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the best Superman movie I have ever watched. Snyder has given us a 2hr 15 min film filled with action, sentiment and most importantly grounding Superman in our 2013 world.

The film starts off with Jor El, magnificently played by Russel Crowe, trying his best to send his son away from dying Krypton. He encounter general Zod whom would do anything to safeguard his people. A fist fight follows up and Crowe successfully sends Superman to earth. This whole sequence was shot with great spectacle by Snyder. The action when Crowe rides on the dragon and when he fights with Zod were shot fantastically. Hans's music stands out big time during these sequences as he follows a theme in the entire movie. I will come back to this later.

After Superman is grounded in our world, we see him wandering around just like everyone else and meanwhile David S Goyer gives us an interlinked childhood life of Superman in his screenplay. He simultaneously shows us superman's childhood problems while still holding on to Superman's present stature. Screenplay wise, a great job by Goyer. Even the scene where a lorry driver pissing superman off in a bar he is working in shows us how bad humans can get as compared to superman. This makes us think are we worth it. Kudos to Christopher Nolan for this story. Then comes one of the most emotional scenes in the film where young superman asks his dad whether he can still pretend to be his son. And Costner says that 'you are my son', hugging him. Nolans scripts are always emotionally good with various shades of love and relationshps. The dad-son relationship between them was penned with perfection and the main reason for this is when Nolan writes off Costner. Costner dies in a tornado, beleiving that the world was not ready for superman to reveal himself. Cavil's acting in this particular scene deserves mention. This guy has talent.

Fast forward and we see an action set piece in the middle of the road. Snyder has used fast action visuals to showcase superman's powers differently as the action is now much faster and quicker. Planes get blowed up,choppers get blatsed, glass shatters in every frame and explosions are vast in this sequence. The visual effects are top notch here as well.

Now, moving on to the climax of the film which occupies nearly the last half an hour of the film. Superman has to stop a machine that's turning earth into krypton by general zod. He has to create a black hole so that zod and his team will get sucked in. Here is where Han's background score scores highly. His heavy drums together with the theme of the film gels well. I particularly loved the scene where superman rushes to save lois from free falling while zod's team get sucked into the black hole behind him. His acting in this sequence is very good.

Even after all of theses ends, Nolan's touch of sentiment comes into play in the last 5 mins of the film. After crashing into a church after crazy fist fighting with superman, zod tries to kill a family with his laser eyes. Here, Zimmer's background score of just the piano works wonders as superman asks him to stop, only for Zod to say never. Cavil has huge talent and he cries in this scene so well that a tear drop fell from my eye in the theatre. Very rarely does someone cry in a superhero film, but Nolan shows us his quality of writing.

So, in the end, this is definitely a 5-star rating from me. A must watch for me and you wont be disappointed.
  57. Dec 13, 2013
    Unfortunately, this Superman reboot was an enormous disappointment. I had relatively high hopes from Zack Snyder, director of the highly underrated Watchmen, which I enjoyed immensely. However, as the movie demonstrated, the premise of portraying Superman in a serious and dramatic tone turned out to be a completely ludicrous idea given the inherent camp of the source material. The Man of Steel has always been the most comically overpowered and cheesy superhero. It simply doesn't make sense to place such a dramatic tone on this kind of story. It might have worked had it been handled by a more capable screenwriter, since the wooden nature of the dialogue and terrible characterization of everyone including Superman/Clark Kent himself. Not to mention a very thin plot and overindulgent violence and destruction that bored the audience to death by taking up the final forty five minutes of the film only to lead to an unsatisfying and anticlimactic final act. This colossal movie that was a colossal bummer. Expand
  58. Dec 12, 2013
    May not have much heart or many surprises, but the outstanding visuals and pummeling fight scenes make up for that. It's a well deserved modern reboot for the hero.
  59. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of steel wow now there is a mouthful well when went to se man of steel I had many doubts about whether it would be better than bryan singer's superman and I was surprised that also there is no doubts it that zack synder's man of steel is the best superman movie of all timefor those of you who haven't seen man of steel words cannot describe it Expand
  60. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Not sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of the time. Not to go overboard, I will simply say that I did not like this movie. I can acknowledge some pros though: the Super suit was cool, Zod's "purpose for which I was born" monologue in the final act was cool, and the sequences in space were breathtaking. Still, Man of Steel had nearly NO CROWD PLEASING MOMENTS....the comic relief moments spread in the movie were a hit-or-miss and would gain maybe one chuckle or a laugh out of the audience. And don't get me started on the action sequences....don't get me wrong, I love a good action movie, when it's well served. I highly enjoyed Fast 6 because it didn't try to be more than what it was, a simple mindless action-packed popcorn flick with well-placed humor and overall solid pacing. However Man of Steels action....boy was I bored by it. Explosions and skyscrapers collapsing left and right and even some annoying shaky cam in certain sequences that voided any chances of my investment. One of my friends mentioned two Easter eggs in the film: A Luthor truck and a satellite in space owned by Wayne Industries...BUT... since I WASN'T invested in the movie thanks to a sloppy and awkwardly paced script, I didn't notice these Easter eggs at all unfortunately. I personally felt also that the opening in Krypton was cool at first, but soon became over-extended. Am I the only one who felt that the special effects in this film weren't that impressive? If I am, so be it. Clark Kent/Kal-El's development was rather modest...it could've been done much better and more depth could've been put into it. Instead, the scenes of his upbringing would come in awkwardly and they felt kind of intrusive at times. This movie felt very inconsistent in terms of writing. Man of Steel's pacing was incredibly sloppy. One scene Kal-El was in a ship, then he was in a bar, then he was in the north pole, then he was suddenly Superman. Yeah, not very consistent pacing if you ask me. Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by this film. I really wanted to love Man of Steel. I wanted an excellent Superman flick with a terrific origins story that resembled the quality of Batman Begins. Man of Steel was hyped up well, but terribly under-delivered. Expand
  61. Dec 9, 2013
    This is the quintessential Superman Movie to date. It pays its respects to the source material and delivers a superman that people have been waiting to see. Snyder delivers on the action and Cavill's both physical appearance and personality is the Superman I grew up with since watching the animated series through to justice league and any recent adaptations. There is no Kryptonite and Superman punches people. Thank you Mr Snyder. Cant wait for Superman Vs Batman Expand
  62. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A compelling gritty story and a different take on The Man Of Steel we've not seen on film before but closer to the comic book incarnation. You have to accept change and a different Superman to what you've seen in previous movies to like Man Of Steel a lot of critics have disliked this but gave Superman Return's a good review why i don't know because Man Of Steel cast wise, story and character interpretation and the new take of this character is so much more compelling, touching and action orientated. It's the Superman story and the musical score is brilliant not one minute of the movie do you think of the original score. I was amazed, you can't please all of the people. you get three set's of fan's the hardcore DC fan's who will understand this take and like and love the movie. The cinema goers who love Superhero movie's and will like this because they want to be entertained and come out and be wowed then the fan's who are picky, go to a cinema to be negative, go to a cinema to come out and say that was horrible i liked Superman return's even though a week they hated Superman Return's. Who ever hasn't seen Man Of Steel then ask the first & second category of movie goers. Expand
  63. Dec 8, 2013
    Epic in scale but tight in focus, this is city-breaking action with a close eye on character and a great set-up for an exciting new franchise. Full review later.
  64. Dec 8, 2013
    Excellent movie, well done, Zack Snyder does a great job. Hand Nolan and Goyer of emotional moments that was noticeable, and I hope the sequel with a lot of spirit.
  65. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It was about time Superman got a serious film, a decent one. It is darker than what I thought, and that´s another point. The score is absolutely perfect for the movie. Just the whole first part in Krypton alone is surprisingly enjoyable and well put together. Super hero movies can´t really make it to the best films of the year. But damn it, this was the best summer blockbuster of 2013 (Iron Man 3 being the worst, as usual) Definitely. Can´t wait for the upcoming sequels. They got it right guys! Expand
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    Very overrated movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as Superman, but the character Zod lacks the depth that he had in smallville and is overall very bland. The thing that surprised me most was the extreme death count of innocent bystanders, it was ridiculous and not in keeping with Superman's history at all. Superman is supposed to do everything he can to keep the innocent people safe (to the point of risking his own life), but in this movie he did not seem to care at all. Overall the plot is hardly immersing and the actress that played Lois was a horrible choice. It's an "ok" movie like most Superman movies, but not great. Expand
  67. Dec 4, 2013
    I love this adaptation, is spectacular, the origin of clark seemed great, it's a good start. It has stunning fights, stunning battles. It is an epic masterpiece.
  68. Dec 4, 2013
    That this is a great movie, it's epic, it's huge, a great story, great script. I found it very dynamic, flawless and is very good overall. I do not understand people who criticized simply are Marvelistas resentful.
  69. Dec 2, 2013
    Let me first say this, if there's an action hero that I always disliked it was Superman. Superman stories were always a giant mess of gigantic nonsense and plot holes bigger than Yellowstone National Park. This movie manages to bring a superman that fits and while the movie isn't perfect at all, its a very good movie, I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters 6 They tried to get out of the 60's, 70's cliches, but its hard, the workarounds to get the characters into a more XXI's century culture didn't work in my opinion.

Plot 6
    Maybe too much in one movie, maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt too much, still the plot is nice, doesn't have big holes in it, which for a superman movie is big achievement, things happens always at the right time for everyone that matters to be saved which in my opinion is what makes the plot a little weak, considering that the movie seems to attempt to bring "realism" into the story, it fails miserably, if you want to redefine superman into the new age, then don't be afraid of doing only half.
    SPOILER(stop this nonsense that only the grunts, the bad guys and some random civilians no one cares about will die.)

Action 9
    Almost flawless, it achieves exactly what I think they wanted, the action sequences are brutal and well made, something that you can watch many times and not get tired of seeing them.

Drama 8
    You know, its all about the search for humanity and so on, I think it has a little too much unnecessary drama, but its well made, you watch it without rolling your eyes, so its nice.

Acting 7
    I'm not a good judge of this, but it didn't felt very good.

Special Effects 10
    Simply put, extremely detailed perfection.

Cinematography 8
    Its nice, its one of those movies where you don't really notice it, meaning it suits the movie well, but also means it wasn't extraordinary.

Soundtrack and Sound Effects 7
    Just like Cinematography, nothing stands out, but there's some sound effects that stand out for the negative, its like they just placed them there because they sound very "cool", that is bad but not that bad since they were indeed, cool.

This isn't a movie that I will watch again, probably ever, but, the action sequences where special effects excel, those I can watch over and over again, a good movie to see if you are in the mood for it, if you are not, then you won't like it very much.
  70. Dec 1, 2013
    Others have described this film as having a "businesslike" tone, and I would agree. there are numerous plot holes, enough to keep this from a rating of 7 or 8. As a comic-book nerd, I'm used to seeing different takes on Superman's origin, and I really enjoyed that aspect of this film. The first 30-40 minutes are less superhero flick and more sci-fi.
    If you can deal with something
    different than the Christopher Reeve films, and can ignore some holes and inconsistencies in storytelling, you'll enjoy this one. Expand
  71. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is a great new look on Superman, this movie is a terrible look at superman. This movie is a great new look at cinema while it also is said to have killed movie. This movie is so controversial that I say it is just meh. The people who like it don't see the problems while the people who hate it don't see the good side. To me with every good thing there is a bad thing. This is a movie I shall 4 times and never again. Expand
  72. Nov 29, 2013
    man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
    so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
    i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie,
    and i felt stupid afterward, cause there is so much plots mistakes it's almost unwatchable,
    unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause
    for me everything have to make sense
    and this movie unfortunately does not make any, i mean i felt mad after watching iron man 3 because of plot mistakes,
    after this i can gladly make iron man 3 my favorite movie of 2013.
  73. Nov 29, 2013
    Film so epic, awesome and spectacular, very good history, action script, all in general. It's a movie hated by many fans of films like Avengers or Iron Man 3 is envy because they have to Avengers has not even those battles.
  74. Nov 28, 2013
    It lacks character developement and has repetitive over the top action sequences. However, this reboot of Superman delivers emotionally and follows a sturdy plot for a mostly successful resurrection of a superhero.
  75. Nov 27, 2013
    I went in to this movie excited and with high expectations. These were met and then some. I personally thought the pacing of the movie was brilliant. The cinematography was beautiful and the mix of CGI, not to mention how realistic everything looked, was integrated extremely well. I thought Henry Cavill portrayed Superman flawlessly and the supporting cast were excellent.

I know the
    movie has been criticized for lengthy action scenes, but I thought they were appropriate for the scope of the movie Superman is extremely powerful and, unlike some weaker superheroes, deserves bigger and longer action/fight sequences. In other words, 10 minute fight scenes with loads of destruction are appropriate for this film/character. However, I can understand completely how this would turn off less hardcore fans of the superhero genre.

I also got a great Nolan vibe from the movie, reminiscent of the dark knight trilogy. I was thoroughly entertained throughout, especially to the point where I had a cheesy smile practically the entire film. Personally, I loved this movie and believe it to be the first film to accurately give Superman's character and story the justice it so rightly deserves. I cannot wait for the upcoming sequel.
  76. Nov 23, 2013
    I never usually watch Superman films, as it is not something that really does it for me, however this film took me by surprise.
    A fully entertaining movie with some great actors.
    Action is well paced and thought out, this film is brilliant.
  77. Nov 23, 2013
    This is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the half way point I was begging for it to be over. I strongly suggest you avoid this one at all costs.
  78. Nov 19, 2013
    Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review, I want you to know that you can count on me to save you from dying in a tornado I don't care if they find out I'm really fast. Expand
  79. Nov 15, 2013
    The soulless byproduct of committee thinking: no heart, no warmth, no character, no charm; and a script that has all of the narrative sophistication of the back of a dozen cereal boxes stapled together and left in the rain.
  80. Nov 15, 2013
    I did not like this movie. Watching (nearly) indestructable people throw each other into objects is pretty boring. Then Superman simply breaks the bad guys neck...like why didn't he just do that in the first place. Looking back on it I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from watching it. I like some of Zach Snyders other movies, this screwed the pooch in my opinion.
  81. Nov 14, 2013
    What a disappointment! What a cobbled together reel of clips, jumping from place to place and time to time! With nonsensical renditions of SOME of the historical elements, and new illusions that make the ongoing story virtually impossible, as Lois knows who he is from the beginning!

Also, since no one even knew him before he became the reason for this invasion of Earth and its
    possible annihilation, who would want the guy around!?

And, what's with the incessant destruction, without regard for human life, as they meaninglessly push each other around through buildings, knowing they're supposedly invulnerable!

This looks more like another silly effort for a franchise that could be one of the best movies every year it came out, with a lineage like James Bond but superhuman; but they keep getting these troubled, misguided directors who want to recreate the myth! It's ridiculous!
  82. Nov 14, 2013
    This looks like a (similar) job for Superman! Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Super… Excuse me. For a big budget motion picture remake of perhaps the most recognizable comic book superhero Man of Steel is a tamely run-of-the-mill effort. It is generic blockbuster personified, and is a bleak, characterless, lacklustre, uninspiring, disjointed and overly rigid entry in an intermittent franchise, which ironically struggles to take off. What's the "S" stand for? Well in my world it stands for Super-Serious as opposed to Superman. Never before has a superhero been so unwilling to express any discernible passion for their cause, simply maintaining an impassive poker face the whole time. The fate of mankind hangs in the balance, Superman to the rescue! Screams excitement right; however, Zack Snyder has somehow turned this tried and tested premise into a dreary, rather monotonous exploit, even if the visuals and set pieces verge on stunning; more dull and lifeless than dark and gritty. Henry Cavill is cool, calm and collected as Superman; however, he comes across overly reserved and emotionless far too often. Cavills' steely resolve is rarely visibly tested even if the goings-on impart otherwise, rendering his portrayal of Superman a tad difficult to adhere to on a humanistic level. In addition to this, he appears sound in the fabled suit but his rendering of the celebrated superhero comes across too deliberate and noticeably premeditated, although he does find his feet towards the end when the movie is given a much-needed shot of adrenaline. Man of Steel lacks fluidity, it is apportioned with often brisk and abrupt scene changes, and provides an unkempt collation and abstract composition of extracts and gestures to scenes from other movies. It is also complacent on character introduction, being naive in thinking we all know about the characters enough to not have to shed too much light on them; notably a lackadaisical introduction to Lois Lane and her backstory, further marred by a romance kindled out of thin air. All in all, Man of Steel supplies a moderately attention-grabbing experience, albeit unhurried and void of any palpable sentiment. In addition, it does not break any new ground and sets an overstatedly grim-faced tone that future installments in the notoriously up-and-down series that has experienced its fair share of highs and lows in the past will have to address if they are to garner the widespread approval of the audience.

Maybe somebody should have gave Superman's cape a tug and told him you're doing it wrong.

For more movie reviews visit: http://toddsmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk
  83. Nov 14, 2013
    Man Of Steel is movie that will split the audience in two. Gone is the humor and the light coloring,what there is left is a serious take on Superman, one that takes also makes changes big and suttle.

The basic superhero formula is gone, and if you expect Clark Kent, comes to town to save humanity, then you will be disappointed. Man Of Steel is about an Alien, that has to come to terms
    with this fact, to fit in and utimately make a choice good or bad.

And just because you have these superpowers and could cause mayhem as in total annihalation or be that individual that helps other and humanity doesn't mean that you from birth is given this kind of morality nor commitment. And this is basically what this movie does. It makes us understand that Kal-EL is as complex as he is strong.

The movie also shows us what his powers can actually do, and the destruction caused by these powers are more than huge they are out of this world.

To me as an adult, Man Of Steel is finally the movie that gives me what I would expect from a Superman movie 2013.
    Superman is holier than thou material, and as such I can understand, some of the bad reviews, but they miss the fundamental fabric of this movie, that it isn't supposed to mimic or replace Donners movies.
  84. Nov 13, 2013
    Man of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of Steel is a great movie overall, it has the best super hero fight ive ever seen and does not deserve all the negative reviews from the critics. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  85. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always hated Superman, and didn't want to watch this. Don't listen to the haters on this one. It's fantastic. Easily in the top 3 comic book movies. The makers took all the lame, corny stuff out of Superman, and made him believable, humanly emotional, and gave him moral decisions to make. People need to realize that sometime in war people die, and the bad guy needs to be stopped no matter what. Expand
  86. Nov 13, 2013
    Talk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man Of Steel is his best work since 300 (I feel Dawn Of The Dead his best so far), and the set pieces are spectacularly staged, but 2 and a half hours of earnest, EARNEST material about a flying alien Christ figure is a bit much. The only hint of humor is the refusal to even say the name "Superman" (maybe spoken twice during the whole movie). I'm not saying we have to dive into the overdrawn characters of the Donner version, or people speaking in witty banter like The Avengers, but a little humor goes a long way. The acting across the board was fine..hey, I actually didn't hate Crowe, as I have most of his roles lately. And the technical credits were all first class. Expand
  87. Nov 12, 2013
    Devoid of any real relation with the previous Reeve classics,but Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are an interesting couple for future films, and Michael Shannon's decent dramatic role helps with the scripts plot holes, which are more numerous than should be, and tedious pacing. I liked it, didn't love it.
  88. Nov 12, 2013
    As much as I wanted to like this movie, it was terrible. Not a funny terrible, but a forgettable atrocious experience. Acting's off in many scenes, green screen is large and destroys the epic flight scenes, everything about this movie that could've been good is squandered by this need to go beyond what was necessary. The saving grace is it's potential, but it ultimately falls flat. I go with the critics on this one; it wasn't great by any means. Expand
  89. Nov 11, 2013
    Cavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's not exciting.
    argonautis.eu
  90. Nov 11, 2013
    I had a good impression to seeing the film. The story isn't neither too simply and banal nor too difficult to follow.
    The character have been reinvented and rewritten with good results. For me has been a success. I think that on the base of this movie is possible to launch an interesting trilogy. Maybe was properly that who wanted the producer after abandoned the last film launched in 2006
  91. Nov 10, 2013
    This was the Superman movie I've always wished for. For so long I wanted to see Superman kick ass, and finally I got the movie I wanted. Previous Superman movies focused too much on romance, and his double-life as Clark Kent, and not enough on the fact that he's damn powerful. I loved every battle, especially the final one.
  92. Nov 10, 2013
    "Man of Steel" is decent enough. Yes, there are problems in this 2-1/2hr epic but overall it gets its job done. My main problems are with the casting of all the major characters (Henry is great but he's too pretty, I wanted a grittier Superman and Zod was not menacing enough), the wholesome childhood, the lack of emotional reaction when he finds out he's from another freakin' world, and how Lois Lane can't stay out of scenes. Then there's the very final scene where he joins the Daily Planet which makes absolutely no sense in the context of this re-telling, I mean, the dude just saved the entire planet from some very bad characters so now he takes a menial job at a newspaper. I guess they have to adhere to canon but it's just so unmotivated in 2013. Expand
  93. Nov 10, 2013
    The Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) and necessary to give a sense of what a Kryptonian invasion could look like, if these characters were real.

The story itself is unoriginal as origin stories go, but Superman has always been unoriginal since his conception. If you can stomach violent scenes, this movie is A Must See!
  94. Nov 7, 2013
    Though fans might miss the levity that made Richard Donner's classic 1978 film Superman: The Movie such a game-changing joy, the thing that really sells this respectful reboot is the dramatic conviction underlying all the mega-scale mayhem.
  95. Nov 4, 2013
    In a word: Absurd. Is extremely predictable and full of absurd situations also, actors performances are not very good. I do not understand why the developers created it this film this way...

Perhaps it was only designed for children.
  96. Nov 4, 2013
    This was a terrible film. A terribly-told story that was poorly paced and needlessly convoluted. Cavill as Superman is well cast and the photography is visually pleasing. Other than that, this was a total miss.
  97. Nov 3, 2013
    Simply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, the planet Krypton, General. Eagerly looking forward to the sequel promises much more to come and the Justice League. Expand
  98. Nov 1, 2013
    It's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked the beginning that showed us a glimpse of Krypton and developed Superman's backstory and origins. I liked the cast, especially Faora and General Zod.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  99. Oct 31, 2013
    this movie sucks so badly. i think superman return 2006 was better then this crap.............................. F THIS MOVIE...................................................................it sucks. the acting is terrible and the action isnt very good
  100. Oct 27, 2013
    amazing movie can't wait for the sequel superman is back general zod was awesome strong performance man of steel does have some flaws but it makes it up by giving new taste to the grandfather of superheroes

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.