Man of Steel

7.5

1. Jul 5, 2016
    an amazing visual film with a modern take on the character a movie that works together with the DCEU movies especially Batman v Superman in terms of character development. a great new superman.
  2. Jul 2, 2016
    Man of Steel may not be as great as the Dark Knight movies, but it is still very good. The visuals are amazing and the characters were great. Henry Cavill is really good as Superman, but not as great as Reeve. It's the best Superman movie since 1978.
  3. Jun 1, 2016
    Man of Steel is the best Superman movie in my opinion. I was never that into him until I saw this movie. Cavill is the definitive Superman. My gripe with this movie is the over the top action and fight sequences that went on for too long.
  4. May 18, 2016
    Sure, the script is lacking and the action is a bit over-the-top, but "Man of Steel" still succeeds as a fantastic superhero story. The characters seem real and intense, and the score is breathtaking. If you love Superman, you're going to love this movie!
  5. May 13, 2016
    I seriously enjoyed this movie. It is by no means perfect, and the darker tone can sometimes make it a little dull, considering how difficult it is to make a genuinely good Superman movie I feel Man of Steel delivered.

One thing I wanted to see was Zack Snyder establish the Man of Steel, and highlight that this is an ORIGIN story. I feel that he delivered here. Superman is instantly shown to be a flawed individual, who has conflicting morales and emotions and, though as he gains more experience as the hero he will become the Superman that we know and love, this current inexperienced, young and emotional Superman is perfect for this new DC Universe. Henry Cavill plays the role very well, I enjoyed his performance and feel he will only get better as the Man of Steel. The score is incredible, and captures the tone and feeling of the movie in different scenes perfectly. Smaller roles such as Kevin Costner's Jonathan Kent and Lawerence Fishbourne's Perry White make excellent additions to the movie also. The main attraction here, as it is with most of Snyder's movies, is the action. The fight scenes with Zod's army and Zod himself are unbelievable, and the best action scenes of any superhero movie I have ever seen. Though it can sometimes become a little hard to follow, there special effects are unreal and must be seen for yourself.

I was not crazy on Amy Adams' Lois Lane, despite being a fan of her acting. I feel she was slightly more of a damsel in distress than she should have been. I also think that sometimes the dialogue and story does fall flat on occasion, which is fairly standard in Zack Snyder movies.

All in all though, I believe the critics have got this one very wrong. It is a very enjoyable movie which could be the start of something great for DC. If they don't mess it up.
  6. May 11, 2016
    This is how a Superman movie should be made. It was a thriller from start to finish and I enjoyed every second of it. The fight scenes in this movie are legendary.
  7. May 11, 2016
    This movie is just great. It has everything: good plot, actors, spectacular special effects and a fantastic soundtrack. The suit of Superman has been improved and is more sofisticated and real than in other movies. I love this movie so much! If you like superheroe movies and sci-fi, you must see this film.
  8. May 5, 2016
    A lot of the hate against this film is because of the attachment that long time fans had to the late 70's version of Superman. Christopher Reeve did an amazing job with Superman. For it's time and for that vision. He did great. People are attached to that version of Superman. In 1978 where Lois Lane can't tell the difference between Superman and Clark Kent. Even the 1978 version ofA lot of the hate against this film is because of the attachment that long time fans had to the late 70's version of Superman. Christopher Reeve did an amazing job with Superman. For it's time and for that vision. He did great. People are attached to that version of Superman. In 1978 where Lois Lane can't tell the difference between Superman and Clark Kent. Even the 1978 version of Superman had moments of darkness where he went through self doubt in the fortess of solitude and grew a beard and punched people at a diner.
    Man of Steel's Superman is so compelling and so well written and acted out by Henry Cavill. It's a compelling story of self discovery. Clark Kent does not become Superman until he is 33 years old. The acting in this film is terrific, Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe steal the show as General Zod and Jor El, Superman's Krypton father. The first 20 minutes of the film are amazing. Sent to earth in Moses like fashion. Rather than being treated like a campy hero in this universe. Superman is a strange alien who is seen as a threat almost devil like. This is exactly what would happen in today's society. Ultimately, Superman accepts the responsibility of being the earth's savior. So many religious tones in this film. Great looking and great feeling film. Very emotional and compelling. Hans Zimmer's music is mesmerizing. Such a beautifully made film that is treated by some in a very ugly fashion.
  9. Apr 27, 2016
    Man of Steel is by the best Superman movie to DATE. Henry Cavill is worthy to the role of Superman once perfected by Christopher Reeve. Michael Shannon as General Zod intimated me and you feel for his character as he wants to make sure krypton will still exist regardless of the amount of people he kills. Amy Adams as Lois Lane impressed me because for so long Lois Lane was theMan of Steel is by the best Superman movie to DATE. Henry Cavill is worthy to the role of Superman once perfected by Christopher Reeve. Michael Shannon as General Zod intimated me and you feel for his character as he wants to make sure krypton will still exist regardless of the amount of people he kills. Amy Adams as Lois Lane impressed me because for so long Lois Lane was the stereotypical girl who would always be in danger, where as in this movie she is a self independent woman who give up on a story. Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2016
    Great film, definitely one of the better DC movies, Zack Snyder took a drastic new direction with this Superman compared to ones we had before. Much darker, violent and grittier, a style Snyder is known for. You'd think for a Superman movie this wouldn't work, but it really does, the movie has a lot of emotional weight and you feel more involved. The acting is great, the special effectsGreat film, definitely one of the better DC movies, Zack Snyder took a drastic new direction with this Superman compared to ones we had before. Much darker, violent and grittier, a style Snyder is known for. You'd think for a Superman movie this wouldn't work, but it really does, the movie has a lot of emotional weight and you feel more involved. The acting is great, the special effects are incredible and the kind of never seen before Superman storyline is coherent, intriguing and interesting, we also get a lot of Krypton which is very nice. Deserves at least a 75% certified fresh on Rottentomatoes, 56% is very disrespectful to the quality and the efforts put into this movie. Expand
  11. Apr 18, 2016
    I really enjoyed watching this film. There is a lot of action to keep you entertained especially the fight scenes. The characters are played really well and I never got bored. The graphics are impressive and the story line is really strong. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to watch this. I highly recommend.
  12. Apr 17, 2016
    Man of Steel (2013) is a modern day take on the Superman lore, it introduces the viewers to Superman's past and his birth on Planet Krypton. The movie wastes no time and plunges the viewer into great action set pieces, while building the foundation for the movies lore.

The characters are believable and their performances are very solid for this type of movie. The so called critics who slam the movie for not having enough humour or for over the top action or for whatever unprofessional reason are completely unfounded in their "arguments" and just prove how arrogant non objective they are, this is not 1970's, hero movies must retain a serious tone to be relevant nowadays.
  13. Apr 11, 2016
    Henry Cavill makes for a good Superman and there are some entertaining scenes but, to be honest, the movie is a bit of an unstructured mess and I didn't really have much idea what was going on most of the time. I did make it to the end but I was bored well before the final credits rolled.
  14. Apr 11, 2016
    The best Superman origin story ever told in a movie format.

Henry Cavill looked and felt like the Superman the world deserves and needed. Russell Crowe was superb as Jor-El. Filled with over-long action sequences and a re-telling of the most iconic Superhero to ever exist in our modern time. Michael Shannon as General Zod was frightening & intense while at the same time you can
    The best Superman origin story ever told in a movie format.

Michael Shannon as General Zod was frightening & intense while at the same time you can understand the reason as to why he does the things he does. Sorely for the people of Krypton!

The romance arc between Clark and Lois felt forced and lacked any real reason as to why they even fell for each other, however I did enjoy the way Lois found out about Superman.

The kryptonite for this film was its weak script. While it didn't kill the film, it certainly hurt it and made it suffer. The dialogue and the pacing could've been handled a lot better with certain sequences being executed poorly.

What did this film do best? It brought a perfect being we know as Superman into a world that is not so perfect. It threw away the Silver Age character we knew of and threw it into a pool we call realism. And that turned a perfect hero into a hero with flaws which made me care about the character. (Why care for a superhero that is always perfect?)
  15. Apr 8, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder's first outing with the DC Cinematic Universe shows some promise but it also faces major stumbling blocks. This reboot tries to depict a more humanized Superman as he tries to be the ultimate bridge between Earth and Krypton. I admire the film for its ambition and there are some good elements that are unfortunately balanced out by serious problems. The film is not your typical Superman movie for better and worse. For instance the entire movie is tinted in a greyish- blue kind of color which sucks the life out of the frame. This choice is supposed to reflect the somber mood but there is barely a balance of life in the frame. Another major failing on the technicals is the excessive use of Shaky cam. There are some scenes when it is called for such as Superman flying for the first time and a few of the crashes but there are other scenes when the shaky cam is used during quiet scenes. It especially got bad during the one scene when Johnathan Kent was trying to teach Clark a life lesson and the shaky cam got in the way of me trying to connect with the scene. On that note, Kevin Kosner played the worst portrayal of Johnathan Kent to this date as he is very apathetic and even encouraged his son to let his classmates die. Lois Lane appears to only be in this film out of obligation since her contribution to the film was very limited at best. Superman himself is very emotional detached and is reckless in his actions causing so much collateral damage that it would even make Michael Bay blush. General Zod is the one character who appears to have some depth to him as he wants to save Krypton at the cost of all life on Earth. The biggest scene that caused controversy is the scene when Superman snaps Zod's neck. This act goes against everything that the character stands for. Superman is a character that represents the best of humanity and he is a character who shows mercy to his enemies as he fights for everyone. This moment could have worked if the film had better established Superman's moral code against killing but it was never built up to that point. A better example of a hero who had to make a moral compromise by going against his no-killing code was Trigun. Trigun was an aneme that heavily establishes Vash's qualm against killing and thus it had more of an impact when he finally had to take a life to save his friends. In this film's case however, the emotional impact of Superman's actions are never brought up again. Despite these glaring issues there are some good elements in this film. The opening scene on Krypton was well done as it shows the despair of the Kryptonions in their inevitable doom. The relationship with Clark and Martha Kent is also well done as she teaches Clark how to focus his powers. In short I do see how people enjoy this film but I cannot. This is a potentially profound film that doesn't live up to its potential. Expand
  16. Apr 6, 2016
    Man of steel is the exciting and controversially darker portrayal of superman. The heavy CGI is surprisingly rubbery at times and the slightly confusing plot about Krypton could cause some to lose interest. However, the portrayal of superman by Henry Cavill is award-worthy and Michael Shannon's performance of General Zod causes Marvel Villains to shake in fear. The direction taken gets myMan of steel is the exciting and controversially darker portrayal of superman. The heavy CGI is surprisingly rubbery at times and the slightly confusing plot about Krypton could cause some to lose interest. However, the portrayal of superman by Henry Cavill is award-worthy and Michael Shannon's performance of General Zod causes Marvel Villains to shake in fear. The direction taken gets my applause for being overwhelmingly brave, and even the slightly CGI heavy action has some cool moments. Maybe this film isn't fantastic like all the fan boys say but maybe it isn't as terrible as the critics say. Expand
  17. Apr 6, 2016
    At once frantically overblown and beautifully filigreed, “Man of Steel” will turn on everyone it doesn’t turn off. Summer blockbusters have a way of encouraging multiplex Manichaeism, though I propose a middle way. It won’t be easy. Even those who patiently ride out the bludgeoning excesses of the film’s final 45 minutes may wonder what happened to the movie — the one about human andAt once frantically overblown and beautifully filigreed, “Man of Steel” will turn on everyone it doesn’t turn off. Summer blockbusters have a way of encouraging multiplex Manichaeism, though I propose a middle way. It won’t be easy. Even those who patiently ride out the bludgeoning excesses of the film’s final 45 minutes may wonder what happened to the movie — the one about human and humanoid struggles — they watched for the first 100. They may also wonder why no one, anyone, smacked the director, Zack Snyder, in the head and reminded him that he was midwifing a superhero franchise, as the film’s first image, of a yelling, straining woman signals, not restaging the end of days.

Apocalypse Now (a movie that Mr. Snyder nods at), Apocalypse Then: The 21st century has been tough for Superman, at least at the box office. After decades of saving the world on the screen and on the page, the movie character seemed stuck, particularly after the dreary 2006 reboot, “Superman Returns.” The Superman story had been told in so many ways and in so many moods in the comics — he has married and mourned, died and been reborn — but shaping these transformative cycles into a new film, much less a viable series, remained elusive. Christopher Nolan went dark and then darker with another DC Comics legend in the Dark Knight films, but this was Superman, idealism embodied. What was there left to say about the man in the primary-color suit, especially after Sept. 11?

For starters, return to basics, and add a fighting-trim Russell Crowe, a howlingly mad Michael Shannon, that emotional guidepost Amy Adams and a superdude — the British actor Henry Cavill — so ripped that he’s nearly shredded. Much like “Batman Begins,” the first part of the Dark Knight trilogy, “Man of Steel” narrates the how and why of its character, tracing an existential arc from child to man. The difference is that while Batman has to journey into the world (with a layover in a bat cave) to acquire his particular skill set, Superman comes fully loaded. He just needs to burrow into his innermost self, hang out at the Fortress of Solitude and meet the right woman.

He does all that in “Man of Steel,” which was written by David S. Goyer from a story that he created with Mr. Nolan that extracts the canonical account from 75 years of seemingly infinitely layered supermythology. To that end, the film begins at the beginning, back on Krypton where Jor-El (Mr. Crowe) attempts to persuade its council, wearing dour expressions and ornate headdresses evocative of Gothic tracery, that their planet is doomed. It’s a measure of the film’s striking design here that the headdress latticework is echoed in some of the pleated clothing, as well as in the curvilinear buildings, suggesting that someone behind the scenes (the production designer is Alex McDowell) is an admirer of the architect Zaha Hadid and her flowing organic forms.

These graceful contours are further picked up in spaceships that float like jellyfish and in suits of armor that evoke crustaceans, adding to this alien world’s striking conceptual unity. Lovely and imperious, the headdresses are also emblems of the countervailing forces that have led to the ruin of Krypton, a civilization undone by its own advances. The resemblances to Earth are blunt enough for an eco-savvy kindergartner and pop off the screen like speech balloons. But, then, this is Superman, and Mr. Snyder, whose earlier movies include a stillborn adaptation of the graphic novel “Watchmen,” is here playing with different narrative forms as he toggles between cinematic realism and the kind of comic-book-style exaggeration that distills ideas into images.

For roughly 100 minutes, or the running time of an average movie, Mr. Snyder is in control of his material. His handling of the story’s many flashbacks, which fill in piecemeal Superman’s Kansas childhood as Clark, is fluid and apt. Each return to the past becomes another tile in the mosaic, adding to the emerging portrait of the adult wanderer and seeker he has become. His adoptive parents, Martha (Diane Lane) and Jonathan (Kevin Costner), come into focus, as does the bewildered child (played by Cooper Timberline and Dylan Sprayberry), who doesn’t understand why he’s so different. Mr. Snyder borrows too many canted camera angles and too much sun-kissed fluttering laundry from Terrence Malick, but the Kansas scenes solidify the human foundation of a divided identity.

The last 45 minutes is when Mr. Snyder piles on the hammering special effects, becoming yet one more director gone disappointingly amok.
  18. Apr 2, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder's first outing with the DC Cinematic Universe shows some promise but it also faces major stumbling blocks. This reboot tries to depict a more humanized Superman as he tries to be the ultimate bridge between Earth and Krypton. I admire the film for its ambition and there are some good elements that are unfortunately balanced out by serious problems. The film is not your typical Superman movie for better and worse. For instance the entire movie is tinted in a greyish- blue kind of color which sucks the life out of the frame. This choice is supposed to reflect the somber mood but there is barely a balance of life in the frame. Another major failing on the technicals is the excessive use of Shaky cam. There are some scenes when it is called for such as Superman flying for the first time and a few of the crashes but there are other scenes when the shaky cam is used during quiet scenes. It especially got bad during the one scene when Johnathan Kent was trying to teach Clark a life lesson and the shaky cam got in the way of me trying to connect with the scene. On that note, Kevin Kosner played the worst portrayal of Johnathan Kent to this date as he is very apathetic and even encouraged his son to let his classmates die. Lois Lane appears to only be in this film out of obligation since her contribution to the film was very limited at best. Superman himself is very emotional detached and is reckless in his actions causing so much collateral damage that it would even make Michael Bay blush. General Zod is the one character who appears to have some depth to him as he wants to save Krypton at the cost of all life on Earth. The biggest scene that caused controversy is the scene when Superman snaps Zod's neck. This act goes against everything that the character stands for. Superman is a character that represents the best of humanity and he is a character who shows mercy to his enemies as he fights for everyone. This moment could have worked if the film had better established Superman's moral code against killing but it was never built up to that point. A better example of a hero who had to make a moral compromise by going against his no-killing code was Trigun. Trigun was an aneme that heavily establishes Vash's qualm against killing and thus it had more of an impact when he finally had to take a life to save his friends. In this film's case however, the emotional impact of Superman's actions are never brought up again. Despite these glaring issues there are some good elements in this film. The opening scene on Krypton was well done as it shows the despair of the Kryptonions in their inevitable doom. The relationship with Clark and Martha Kent is also well done as she teaches Clark how to focus his powers. In short I do see how people enjoy this film but I cannot. This is a potentially profound film that doesn't live up to its potential. Collapse Expand
  19. Apr 1, 2016
    A silly and over-the-top action film. The cast is pretty good and I found the scenes on Krypton to be interesting. Flashbacks to Superman's younger years were good as well. The climax is so ridiculous and the action scenes have no tension due to it. The tone is too serious at times also which made it feel pretentious. The middle act is pretty boring as well. Man of Steel is a decentA silly and over-the-top action film. The cast is pretty good and I found the scenes on Krypton to be interesting. Flashbacks to Superman's younger years were good as well. The climax is so ridiculous and the action scenes have no tension due to it. The tone is too serious at times also which made it feel pretentious. The middle act is pretty boring as well. Man of Steel is a decent popcorn flick, but it really lacks the substance to make it anything more than that. Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2016
    And Snyder has divided the audience once again. The movie is definitely flawed but seriously doesn't deserve the backlash. We shouldn't have expected to see the same Superman, especially not when the times have changed and even when the Superman in the comics is no longer what he was. All I can say is that I had a great time and Micheal Shannon was definitely a compelling villain (whichAnd Snyder has divided the audience once again. The movie is definitely flawed but seriously doesn't deserve the backlash. We shouldn't have expected to see the same Superman, especially not when the times have changed and even when the Superman in the comics is no longer what he was. All I can say is that I had a great time and Micheal Shannon was definitely a compelling villain (which most Marvel movies lack). Expand
  21. Mar 27, 2016
    Muy buen reinicio para este super héroe. Años esperando una adaptación decente para el Hombre de Acero, después de bodrios (III, IV: The Quest for Peace & Returns), al fin llega una película que le hace justicia al personaje. A pesar que el Nolan estuvo involucrado en la producción de la película, tiene algunas fallas, tanto en algun desarrollo de a lo largo de la película, aunque no esMuy buen reinicio para este super héroe. Años esperando una adaptación decente para el Hombre de Acero, después de bodrios (III, IV: The Quest for Peace & Returns), al fin llega una película que le hace justicia al personaje. A pesar que el Nolan estuvo involucrado en la producción de la película, tiene algunas fallas, tanto en algun desarrollo de a lo largo de la película, aunque no es tan malo. Me encantó que Zack Snyder muestre el verdadero poder del Hombre de Acero en esta película, desde hace tiempo que quería ver a un Superman así. El soundtrack de Hans Zimmer es magnífico en toda la cinta, y en las escenas de acción lo logra mostrar mejor. Me encantó el enemigo de la película interpretado por Michael Shannon, "General Zod", un buen villano, para comenzar este reboot, incluso me parece mejor que la versión de Superman II. Muy recomendable para aquellos que desconfiaban que no iba a haber otra buena adaptación del Hombre de Acero. Expand
  22. Mar 26, 2016
  23. Mar 25, 2016
    Pa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also, Clark does not find himself traveling the world but rather is grounded in being from a small, rural American town with family who love and believe inPa Kent is not supposed to fill Clark with fear of humanity. That bothered me much more than the mass destruction. Clark's father believed in both his son and humanity that tomorrow would be better if people weren't afraid to hope. Also, Clark does not find himself traveling the world but rather is grounded in being from a small, rural American town with family who love and believe in him. That contrast against Batman makes both characters more compelling but the movie tries to make everything like Batman because he sells,

Watchmen was a great movie. Zach Snyder seems to enjoy reflecting heroes in a dark way largely because there's pressure for money and to follow gritty trends but it is disrespectful to the character of Superman.
  24. Mar 25, 2016
    This is one of the best DC Super Hero Movies ever. Superman is one of my favourite characters ever, i love this version of Lois Lane because is very similar to one of my favourite characters of Family Guy: Joyce Kinney. A great movie.
  25. Mar 24, 2016
    Let's get the negatives over-with: I would preferred Ed Harris as General Zod, as he would have been more intimidating. While Michael Shannon is a good actor, there's something a bit goofy about the way he speaks in the role. I did not like the tornado scene. I liked certain things said by Jonathan Kent, but didn't like the way he was written overall. The were a couple of times certainLet's get the negatives over-with: I would preferred Ed Harris as General Zod, as he would have been more intimidating. While Michael Shannon is a good actor, there's something a bit goofy about the way he speaks in the role. I did not like the tornado scene. I liked certain things said by Jonathan Kent, but didn't like the way he was written overall. The were a couple of times certain plot-points could have been resolved more logically. The pacing was a bit off, and there didn't need to be so much CGI spectacle.

Other than that, this is the movie the made me like Superman. That's an achievement in itself. Great action contrasted by some touching little moments with characters like Martha Kent. The visual design of the Kryptonian elements were genius.
  26. Mar 23, 2016
    It has a lot of the same problems Superman Returns did, with more flaws to call it's own. No amount of punches or action can make up for a soulless attempt at making Superman into Batman for the modern audience. It's a boring, pretentious, drawn out film with dull, grim tone that hopes the audience will overlook it because there's a lot of punching going on.
  27. Mar 21, 2016
    Man of Steel – Revisited

Man of Steel – Revisited

DC has entered the cinematic universe, and it all begins with this 2013 entry – ´Man of Steel´. The basics aren’t that well presented, it even goes a bit meh after a couple viewings, even though it still got its action-glamour. Plot holes, messy action & rushed storylines somehow didn’t get caught up in the writing process. A great background of the man from Krypton is a wonderful aspect yes, it even managed to bring a few ethical dilemmas to light, but the basics didn’t. The action is without any doubt great, but to fail to enlighten the audience a better, and a less odd storyline that doesn’t leave them with an “ugh that was odd”-feel; that’s bad storytelling. Our antagonist is on the other hand understandable, and both him and our main hero are very well established, and we get a lot insides to their past self, even though Zod just is a classic angry-villain. One thing is for sure and undeniable fact with this Snyder-flick; Hans Zimmer’s score might be the best aspect. Meanwhile shaky cam, an overly packed amount of vague CGI & some small fragments of overacting; that’s something BvS really got to overcome. But will Zach Snyder be able to look beyond his past and truly succeed with BvS? For the sake of the DC Universe, he better will.

Personal rating: 70/100
    Critical rating: 51/100
  28. Mar 20, 2016
    Man of Steel represents the latest attempt by Warner Brothers to revive a Superman franchise that, since its stunning 1978 revival, has been abominably treated for about 30 years (ever since Richard Donner was unceremoniously fired from Superman II). This movie certainly looks and feels a lot different than any of its predecessors, and that's not just because of the crappy 3-D. It's moreMan of Steel represents the latest attempt by Warner Brothers to revive a Superman franchise that, since its stunning 1978 revival, has been abominably treated for about 30 years (ever since Richard Donner was unceremoniously fired from Superman II). This movie certainly looks and feels a lot different than any of its predecessors, and that's not just because of the crappy 3-D. It's more of a science fiction/fantasy adventure than a superhero movie. In a way that's good, because it doesn't come across like a tired retread of every origin story we've ever seen. On the other hand, it's not good, because the sci-fi feel has been overly influenced by the likes of Independence Day and Transformers. That's right: blow everything up, real good! Pyrotechnics! Special Effects! CGI up the wazoo! For those who crave cinematic mayhem, Man of Steel is right up your alley (and it will make a ton of money). But something important has been lost along the way: heart. This is a cold, sterile motion picture. The characters are so thinly drawn that it's tough to get much feel for them. And one senses that director Zack Snyder is less interested in Superman than he is in the orgy of destruction he gets to rain down on Metropolis. Somewhere, Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay are smiling.

Man of Steel is, first and foremost, a great spectacle. The effects work is first rate and the action sequences, of which there are many, are delivered with a kinetic punch. The tone is dour - humor is at a premium and, on those rare occasions when it's there, the delivery is decidedly low-key. The movie wants desperately to be taken seriously and viewed as something more than a comic book film. Perhaps, in the end, that's one reason why Man of Steel rarely feels heroic and never truly soars. Sure, Superman eventually wins but at the cost of thousands of lives (we're not given a specific body count but it has to be very high).

Christopher Nolan's influence will be hotly debated, especially since the producer has been coy about the full extent of his involvement in the final product, stating only that "it's Zack Synder's film." Indeed, Man of Steel is closer to Watchmen than Batman Begins in terms of its look and feel. It's a style over substance thing, spectacle over heart. Snyder never ceases to amaze visually but one could make a compelling case that he "misses" what defines Superman's uniqueness. It makes sense for Batman to live in the dark but Superman has always been a figure of light and truth. That's one reason he's a difficult movie subject because there's no ambiguity about who he is and what he represents, and there's something about the darkness that pervades Man of Steel that feels wrong for the character.

The choice of Henry Cavill to don the cape is inspired; Cavill is easily the most accomplished actor thus far to fill the role and, while no one will ever fully eclipse what Christopher Reeve brought to the screen, Cavill uses Man of Steel as an opportunity to lay the foundation for what could be a long and memorable run. He combines the matinee appeal of Reeve and Brandon Routh with a stronger resume although, truth be told, the screenplay underuses his range. The main requirement for Cavill is to look the part.

As a cookie cutter supervillain, Michael Shannon does a good job overacting. He snarls and yells and exudes menace. He rants and does all sorts of nasty things. In the end, however, it's the name "Zod" that puts Shannon at a disadvantage because it forces him to exist in the long shadow of Terence Stamp. Stamp's Zod is arguably one of the twenty most memorable movie bad guys and Shannon doesn't touch him. The other casting miscalculation is Amy Adams as Lois Lane. The part doesn't fit. On the other hand, there are some great choices, although most of them are sadly underused. Laurence Fishburne makes a terrific Perry White, although he has very little screen time. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are great as Clark's Earth parents although Costner in particular deserves more screen time.

Man of Steel delivers forcefully on its promise to take Superman in a different direction. Perhaps that's a good idea; after all, Richard Donner (with an assist from Richard Lester) has done the "traditional" Superman as well as it can be done. But a lot is missing, and the most telling absence is the element that makes Superman more the hero of his own story rather than the pawn of special effects. This is a less promising opening act than Batman Begins because it mines so little new territory. Remakes like Man of Steel are about intangibles like tone and style and how well the soul of the central conceit has been maintained. Snyder succeeds in making this movie sufficiently different to justify its existence. The open question is whether this Superman can spearhead a franchise that aspires to greatness or whether this new "dark vision" is merely window dressing.
  29. Mar 14, 2016
    This is the best movie in 2013, it's awesome, it's heart pounding like hell, Henry Cavill is the best superman I have ever known. The fight scenes is extremely awesome, the world engine is heart pounding, this is an awesome superhero movie ever
  30. Mar 12, 2016
    Man of Steel cannot be called "action film". And we gotta add that Superman's new aspect is not the real one. Could be better, developed, but it's not the Superman that we used to watch. Unfortunately, this film is also more violent than action-packed film, but it's able to be called "science-fiction" film, at least. It also brings a great short love story to the cinema, and powerfullyMan of Steel cannot be called "action film". And we gotta add that Superman's new aspect is not the real one. Could be better, developed, but it's not the Superman that we used to watch. Unfortunately, this film is also more violent than action-packed film, but it's able to be called "science-fiction" film, at least. It also brings a great short love story to the cinema, and powerfully moving scenes. Maybe it could have low-human characters, but, why do we spect about superheroes films? Expand
  31. Mar 8, 2016
    A powerful and entertaining rebirth of the American icon that I really enjoyed, but that being said I don't really follow the comic books or have really been a huge Superman fan. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is one of the better superhero films toA powerful and entertaining rebirth of the American icon that I really enjoyed, but that being said I don't really follow the comic books or have really been a huge Superman fan. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is one of the better superhero films to come out after Nolan's Dark Knight films and The Avengers. Expand
  32. Mar 2, 2016
    Man of Steel is a partyof special effects,
    trying to create morally correct characters, but you get to see cynics , and in some cases gaps ( more than once left a lousy message to the viewer )
    thus creating an epic plot fomented by a great soundtrack, but it has no real or credible basis or based. It has very little coherance many facts , is extremly fantastic and what else to say , try
    Man of Steel is a partyof special effects,
    It has very little coherance many facts , is extremly fantastic and what else to say , try to be serious, but it is difficult take it seriously.
  33. Feb 28, 2016
    Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, hater the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. I dont like DC comic. because it's dickhead
  34. Feb 24, 2016
    I liked this superman movie. The action is fabulous, with destroyed buildings, lots of punches, and just superman being a badass again. The story does a good job of explaining supermans orgin as. The only problem I have with this story is the love story between superman and lois lane. The villian, zod, is a great dc villian. His quest to controlling earth to rebuild kripton(i dont know howI liked this superman movie. The action is fabulous, with destroyed buildings, lots of punches, and just superman being a badass again. The story does a good job of explaining supermans orgin as. The only problem I have with this story is the love story between superman and lois lane. The villian, zod, is a great dc villian. His quest to controlling earth to rebuild kripton(i dont know how to spell it) is what made him a great character. I think this was a great superman film since superman 2 from the 80s Expand
  35. Feb 24, 2016
    I just don't have any good enough words to say about MoS.
    Its been over 2 and half years now and it is still my best Superhero movie of all time.
    I saw it more than 10 times over those 2 years and it gets better every time. Well the truth is Supermen's my favorite superhero of all time so this was the movie I have been waiting since the day I firs laid eyes on the big S 20 year ago.
    I just don't have any good enough words to say about MoS.
    I saw it more than 10 times over those 2 years and it gets better every time.
    And it is probably my biggest disagreeing with critics ever, I don't know what they saw but I guess not the same movie I did hahaha! ;)
  36. Feb 22, 2016
    A nice reboot to the Superman live-action film series. Although the story seems unevenly paced in a few ways, the action scenes are undeniably incredible. In fact, the action scenes are kind of like Dragon Ball Z according to some commentators.
  37. Feb 22, 2016
    Although this film is filled with over the top action and forced Jesus symbolism with Superman, I can't say I didn't have a lot of fun with this movie and I am excited to see what DC has in store for us in future movies such as Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad coming out this year. Although Zack Snyder clearly has problems directing and I'm glad Ben Affleck is there to maybe talk someAlthough this film is filled with over the top action and forced Jesus symbolism with Superman, I can't say I didn't have a lot of fun with this movie and I am excited to see what DC has in store for us in future movies such as Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad coming out this year. Although Zack Snyder clearly has problems directing and I'm glad Ben Affleck is there to maybe talk some sense into him when he gets to excited and forgets to explain things such as why Lois is so important to Zod in this movie to the point where he demands to have her in this ship. Check it out if you're a DC fan or a Superman fan or watch it with some friends if you want to see a dumb action film. Expand
  38. Feb 14, 2016
    A very good superman movie after the campy superman returns. I loved this movies first half. The emotional scenes were so raw and real I felt his pain and agony of clark kent and how he was trying to figure out who his is and how to coupe with these new powers. I definitely had a Christopher Nolan feel to it even though zack snyder directed it. Henry cavil did a fantastic job as supermanA very good superman movie after the campy superman returns. I loved this movies first half. The emotional scenes were so raw and real I felt his pain and agony of clark kent and how he was trying to figure out who his is and how to coupe with these new powers. I definitely had a Christopher Nolan feel to it even though zack snyder directed it. Henry cavil did a fantastic job as superman and russel crowe as Jor el was so good. Some people have complained about it's lack of romance you know what i say to that blah. I could care less. The one thing i do agree is that it could have had better character development. also In the movies second act the action was powerful and the final fight was well done but I though there could have cut at least one action scene of took a break for just a little. Some people might like this about the movie but i didn't. Hans zimmer was terrific as always. I mean when has the man never delivered. Go out and see this movie it's emotional action packed powerful and definitely the best superman film we have been given in recent years. Expand
  39. Jan 28, 2016
    Man of Steel, in my opinion, is a decent but not quite as better as the original Superman movie. I felt that Zack Synder tried to recapture the atmosphere and brilliance of Richard Donnor's 1978 version, but with little interest on why the DC Universe movies haven't been a gamechanger throughout the years (The Dark Knight Trilogy doesn't count). I was feeling a bit nervous why they choseMan of Steel, in my opinion, is a decent but not quite as better as the original Superman movie. I felt that Zack Synder tried to recapture the atmosphere and brilliance of Richard Donnor's 1978 version, but with little interest on why the DC Universe movies haven't been a gamechanger throughout the years (The Dark Knight Trilogy doesn't count). I was feeling a bit nervous why they chose Henry Cavill donning the red, yellow cape and spandex with the iconic "S" trademark because Superman just way past his prime. Even though Superman Returns was pretty good, but Man Of Steel is less but kinda bland Superman. The movie's ending went horribly wrong (I saw the whole thing, no spoilers), the whole CGI thing is pointless, Kevin Costner's performance as Clark Kent's own father sucked, the action scenes were inspired unless you make the movie for 2 1/2 hours long. And that's the problem.

I'm a little worried for what's to come during 2016's sorta "Man Of Steel" sequel, "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice." Will the movie be any good? Can Batfleck (Ben Affleck) be a better Batman than Christian Bale? Can the movie be as much darker as Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War"? Or can it become the highest-grossing movie of the year? I'm predicting that it's going to get near the 60's at Rotten Tomatoes (or below 50s), but 2016 is full of too much superhero movies. So I might have to wait on that, but as for Man Of Steel, good movie, flawed script, acting is pretty decent, but it's worth a shot.
  40. Jan 26, 2016
    "Man of Steel" was initially in a Superman movie but the trouble is that Superman should add title and it would calls "Superman : Man of Steel" , but the movie was amazing and very powerful.
  41. Jan 25, 2016
    Man of Steel tries to impress fans of the DC universe. It actually worked.... what bothers me to say is that this movie tried so hard to impress people like me. The movie's still decent. What went wrong with it is that the movie went so slow after we head off to the middle.
  42. Jan 22, 2016
    This is actually the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. All of the characters are unlikable heaps of garbage, the action scenes are seizure inducing **** and the plot is constant nonsensical **** 0/10, not a great one.
  43. Jan 16, 2016
    After a second viewing two years later, the movie seems better for me than the first time. The issues I have with it remains from the first viewing (last 40 minutes with no change of rhythm and too much CGI) however, the first hour is solidified with the first 20 minutes on Krypton and the 40 minutes of Clark finding himself. The movie suffers the absense of a strong actor like RussellAfter a second viewing two years later, the movie seems better for me than the first time. The issues I have with it remains from the first viewing (last 40 minutes with no change of rhythm and too much CGI) however, the first hour is solidified with the first 20 minutes on Krypton and the 40 minutes of Clark finding himself. The movie suffers the absense of a strong actor like Russell Crowe in the end (although they find out a way to keep him in the movie as long as it´s possible) but Henry Cavill does a good job keeping you interested. Not the best material for Michael Shannon but it seems like he could´ve done something more giving Zod more character or memorable things to do or say. The movie is a solid 8 but has problems in the story and the way approaching it. For a 2:20 hs of a film, they put together a lot of things for the future. Maybe in future films the rhythm can be tone down a bit to let big moments sink better. And less CGI goes a long way for a movie that wants us to believe that something like this can happen. Expand
  44. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: The first half of this movie is actually ok, Snyder taking some time to peg some characters well, and establish a tone fairly nicely with the use of flashbacks
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to get going, and when it does it's pretty awful. If you thought elements of the first half were far-fetched and ridiculous, you haven't seen anything yet. From here on, the film is a mess of CGI, aliens and bizzare rubbish that will stop you caring even an ounce. A lack of emotion, grittiness and any sort of sense, the whole last hour and a quater of this film is on such a huge scale, but with no real gravitas and just makes you feel kind of empty and bored.
    VERDICT: A good film for the first bit, then prety terrible after that. 'Man of Steel' establishes characters well, but does little else in terms of plot, emotion, or... anything much at all.
  45. Jan 3, 2016
    I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

Laurence Fishburne as Perry Mason? Really? No Jimmy Olson? Really? Lois Lane finds out from the start that Clark Kent is superman? Really? Kent saves an entire bus filled with school children but his identity remains unknown? Really? In spite of that, Kent lets his father die because his father doesn't want him to reveal his identity? Really? And finally, are we really supposed to root for some guy who knowingly destroys half a city along with the future of his own species in the middle of a testosterone fueled fight? Really?

Also, both my girlfriend and I had more sympathy for Zod and his crew (who were more or less the only rational people in the story) than for Clark Kent or any of the other "good guys", which is quite telling considering how one-dimensional the villains were overall.
  46. Dec 29, 2015
    Despite its excessive running time, and slightly meandering narrative, Man of Steel has definitely earned its place amongst recent comic-book adaptations, standing tall in the DC / Marvel cinematic universe.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1008d7-Man-of-Steel-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  47. Dec 27, 2015
    Wow Just WOW!!! The Special Effects where just AMAZING!!!! Henry Cavil was a Perfect Casting for Superman! The character development was on point and this truly set up Warner Bros to **** on the Avengers
  48. Dec 24, 2015
    I could give it a 10, or I could give it a 0, but i give it a 6, why?
    The First part of the Movie is awesome!!! just awesome. For Fanatic fans like me who was born with Superman, and know about the REAL story will love that, but....
    Thats the problem.. once you reached the half of the movie, its nonsense, boring, and specially: SILLY... I understand they did it for making a kind of
    I could give it a 10, or I could give it a 0, but i give it a 6, why?

I understand they did it for making a kind of interconnection Superman vs Batman... something i Hate by the way...
    So, everything is good, even Clark Kent/Superman, I like very much since Christopher Reeve (the second one), this new Actor, Henry Cavill. He was awesome...
    Russel Crowe well, he was good because he act very good, but they shouldnt put heavy well known actors, it takes you away of the movie and yo raelised its a movie.. hard to explain what i meant in english...
    So, this Movie is goo, but it could be better...
    Special effects 10/10
    Sound 7/10 (some library sounds from other moviebanks)
    Soundtrack 8/10 (good choice, good emotive selection, except the end, it doesnt fit well during the fight
    Edited 10/10 (good narrative pace)
    Story 5/10 (good begining and its the rael Kal-El Story, but the end sucks.
  49. Dec 20, 2015
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Alles sieht zwar visuell klasse aus und Reeves wurde fast 1:1 getroffen. Aber mein Gefühl sagt mir das dies kein richtiger Superman Film ist. Es ist für mich ein Film ohne Seele.
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Sozusagen äußerlich eine schöne Frau aber die inneren Werte kann man vergessen. Keiner braucht dicke Effekte aber eine bessere Story sowie mehr Logik wären von Vorteil gewesen.
  50. Dec 10, 2015
    I recently rewatched this movie and leave it with a higher appreciation:

First of all I have to say that I also saw recently the JL and batman TDKR part 1 and 2 animated films and despite they are good movies (not great) the Superman character (and other heroes) is really dull and I didn't like it at all (au contraire of how interesting Batman is written). They manage to give Superman
    I recently rewatched this movie and leave it with a higher appreciation:

They manage to give Superman his own story in a compelling way, the character has depth, he is no a government dog he makes his own decision and he decides everyday what kind of being he wants to be "the Savior" or "the Ruler". Also there are a lot of people complaining about "destruction" there is a lot of destruction in the DCU, I believed them when they talked about the destruction but after seeing the animated universe the fighting scenes are really well done and are one of the higher points of this movie.

Second, after seeing the direction of Batman v Superman through the trailers you realise that the movie has lot of nice details touching religion, how humans can react and that not everybody is prepare or will trust this "god" and how all this set the premise for BvS.

Despite this cool things (and other I don't name), how look the movies looks, etc there are a couple of moments that don't make sense or there are really not reason to be there (like the tentacles thingy, or the military chick saying that superman is hot).

This movie is clearly not perfect but is probably the best superhero movie right know, the actions scenes are awesome, everything looks nice, the constant possibility that is given to Superman to make his own choice is a great touch (despite we all know he is not going "dark side"), how people is not necessary reacting well (sometimes it's beyond stupid how they react but it's also something that happened in the animated universe), personally I don't understand why people are complaining this much about the movie but I'm not a comic book fan and, like I said, I'm talking from what I saw at DCAU (which, to me, isn't perfect neither).
  51. Nov 28, 2015
    I guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think of a list of things I 'like" against things I "dislike." With this movie I can only think of 2 likes. Henry Cavill is a great Superman and I like theI guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think of a list of things I 'like" against things I "dislike." With this movie I can only think of 2 likes. Henry Cavill is a great Superman and I like the art style and design choices for things like the opening act on Krypton. Other than that I can list many things that don't make sense but a fan online will just argue with you or make grand assumptions. How can Superman be negatively affected by atmospherics (is that a word?) when he can survive in space without breathing? How is Superman powered by our "yellow" sun when it is actually white but our atmosphere changes it's color throughout the day? How does his father just conveniently disappear into a tornado instead of gets tossed around like a semi-truck? How can Zod adjust to Earth in mere hours when it took Clark years of his life? How can Lois Lane survive Arctic weather in a small coat when the Army guy said she would easily freeze overnight?
    Too many silly questions that get an easy pass by the super fans.
  52. Nov 28, 2015
    Very comic book accurate and gave us a taste of Superman's true power that we see all the time in animated series and movies not to mention the comics. Superman also has always been a bit hot headed and jumps into a fight initially before thinking. To say what I just said is not true means you are not aware of the comic Superman history or you are just hating on the movie for personalVery comic book accurate and gave us a taste of Superman's true power that we see all the time in animated series and movies not to mention the comics. Superman also has always been a bit hot headed and jumps into a fight initially before thinking. To say what I just said is not true means you are not aware of the comic Superman history or you are just hating on the movie for personal reasons. And by no means am I saying you have to like the movie or any Superman movie but to say that any of the previous Superman movies were better is comical....pun intended. Man of Steel was amazingly written. The best set up for a villain in a comic book movie ever as the first 15 to 20 minutes was used to set up Zod.

Zod's motivation was very clear and in a weird way you sympathized with Zod's point of view of saving his race; it was only his method of accomplishing his goal of saving his race that most disagreed with. Man of Steel also was a movie about a son and his two fathers laying the ground work for Superman. Both fathers wanted to protect their son while knowing that one day he would be great and they were right as his very first task was not saving a plane from crashing but saving the human race from extinction.

Visually this movie showed you exactly what you see in the comics as it relates to Supermans true power which is god like.
  53. Nov 15, 2015
    how did this get a low reviews its quite a good film i liked it 1 of my favourite super hero films superman is bad ass king of super heros but hulk v superman that would be an endless fight hmm anyway good film lol
  54. Nov 2, 2015
    Despite the romance being bland, Man of Steel is an exciting, action packed movie that will thrill fans, but disappoint critics. Even though Man of Steel is filled with a surprising amount of action sequences (which were the best parts of the movie), the movie does an excellent job in telling the tale of Clark Kent and his rise as Superman.
  55. Nov 1, 2015
    Most underrated movie this movie is a masterpiece people didn't like it because it wasn't marvel which is kid material and this is a new look for superman that I would love to see dc adapt to even there comics and I think people should watch it again so they can rethink about what to rate this its a 10 movie even the flight scene was probably one of the best scene of all time in any superman movie
  56. Oct 29, 2015
    This movie was so bad that it made Superman IV look like an academy award nominee.

Starting with reinventing the traditional Superman costume to having Clark Kent work a number of manual labor jobs while he tries to figure out his destiny was bizarre let alone the fact that Lois Lane not only knows Clark is Superman but helps him get a job on the Daily Planet. Why Brandon Routh was

Why Brandon Routh was not allowed to reprise his role from “Superman Returns” remains another mystery to many movie goers. Henry Cavil’s performance was mediocre at best. The worst performance came from the actress who played Lois Lane.
  57. Oct 19, 2015
    This is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially Michael Shannon as the perpetually bitter villain Zod, and Caville makes a pretty decent Superman. The one thing I object to though is that in the third act theThis is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially Michael Shannon as the perpetually bitter villain Zod, and Caville makes a pretty decent Superman. The one thing I object to though is that in the third act the action does begin to go on for far too long. The action scenes are all amazingly well done so I won't complain too much but they're too much of a good thing after a while. Nonetheless, this is on a level way above most superhero movies, filled with smart storytelling, and moments that can't be described as anything but awe inspiring. Expand
  58. Sep 29, 2015
    Loved Man of Steel, it was exciting and captivating and the acting was flawless. Special effects were great and the portayel of the characters was amazing. Wasn't crazy on who they chose to play Lois Lane but other then that it was by far on of the best super hero movies I saw and I can't wait for the sequel.
  59. Sep 28, 2015
    A loud mess of violence and poor righting. The destruction of the entire city was tasteless as was some of the violence. Before you get mad at me for being anti-gore or whatever, know that I liked the Dark Knight movies, including the violence because it fit the theme of the films. This did not. Also Amy Adams portrayal of Lois Lane was insulting to the character.
  60. Aug 27, 2015
    "Man of Steel" is a refreshing new reboot of the old superman days with flashing action and eye-catching visuals. The plot does wander off to uncharted territory at times, but overall a good movie to watch during one's spare time.
  61. Aug 24, 2015
    A Superman film that focuses on the Alien aspect of the story, with more exposition on him home planet than the person that is Clark Kent/Superman. While that may suit viewers that have seen the origin of Superman told over and over again, it means there's little to relate to with this particular Superman.

In fact the Kent family in general are quite heavily de-emphasised in this

In fact the Kent family in general are quite heavily de-emphasised in this movie, and while they have as little screen on time as 1978's Superman, they lack the charm of that family, and merely serve as plot devices.

Russell Crowe steals this film, bursting with charisma and presence, whilst making this more a Gladiator in Space than a Superman film. Zod is a shallow character, nothing more than a war machine, and the alien vs alien battle scenes are impressive but overwhelming. I found Man Of Steel a better film than I expected, and an improvement over the gloomy and desaturated Superman Returns, but the writing is lackluster, and the impact is weak.

I hope Superman v Batman is able to have more heart.
  62. Aug 15, 2015
    This Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The paceThis Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The pace wasn't a problem for me as I didn't expect Superman to be Superman yet, which is why they don't say that word alot in the film. Its not Lois and Clark with a bigger budget so don't expect a love story, expect a super powered being with real problems and a kick ass last 45 minutes and I promise you'll love it just as much as I did. marvel movies is boring for me i feel like they are for kids, dc knows how to make an good movvie Expand
  63. Aug 13, 2015
    It goes beyond what we thought about the man of steel character. This movie is way ahead of it. It shows what really we all have been waiting for: soundtrack, acting, and mostly action
  64. Aug 10, 2015
    I heard it was awesome and I went to go see it and I agree what people say. I loved the flashbacks especially and the action scenes that's actual action unlike other movies that have a cheap action sequence. though I don't know why he couldn't just fly away with him instead in snapping his neck but it was a epic neck snap.
  65. Jul 29, 2015
    It is a very good movie, but in history there are many plot holes in the origin of the famous hero, which is "Superman".
    The effects are spectacular, Krypton design, the design of armor and ships. I remembered a lot to "Pandora" of "Avatar".
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows
    The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done and a great villain who is Michael Shannon as Zod SPECTACULAR
  66. Jul 21, 2015
    Main thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70'sMain thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70's Superman like "Superman Returns". For me Man of Steel is even better than Superman (1978) and Superman 2 (1980) Expand
  67. Jul 21, 2015
    Man of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildingsMan of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildings while fighting Zod and the Christ or saviour metaphors that run throughout the film, in the end I really enjoyed it and I never got why Man Of Steel received mixed reviews but the lackluster Superman Returns a relatively positive reception
    7.5/10
  68. Jul 18, 2015
    Man of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is notMan of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is not a huge comic book guy, I did not really care. She's a great actress and it is able to show in this film to a degree. In addition to the acting, the special effects were spectacular and the cinematography was stupendous at times. There were some seriously gorgeous shots in this one and it is one of the few superhero movies where I really noticed that area. However, I will say that it does try to do a lot and struggles from typical origin story pitfalls. The pacing can be extremely bad at times and the dialogue is pretty horrendous at times and middling at best. Overall, Man of Steel is a slightly above average film that succeeds in some areas and fails in others, but overall does a nice job setting up the new Superman story and the new universe. Expand
  69. Jul 10, 2015
    Wouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still this movies an injustice to such comic book
  70. Jun 26, 2015
    Cavill and Synder did a pretty solid job and bringing superman back on the screen. The best Superman in my opinion in terms of film and casting. I can't wait to see where the DC cinematic universe goes from here
  71. Jun 26, 2015
    I'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder forI'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder for making the deepest, most complex and best version of Superman I've ever experienced.

Man of Steel begins with the birth of Kal-El on his home planet of Krypton, which is literally on the brink of self destruction. Kal's father, Jor-El , knows this so he sends his son to Earth in the hopes of him carrying on their race. This portion of the film was done very well, and you feel every minute of the urgency and drama. Seeing Krypton fully beautifully and tragically realized on film was breathtaking, even if for a short time. After the intro, things are a bit fast fowarded, as you see Clark Kent/Kal El now as an adult. Although you see Clark as an adult, the film does an amazing job of developing his character through several flashbacks of him as a boy, a teenager and a young adult throughout. Those flashbacks are meaningful as the events in the flashbacks shape him into the man he is and is to become. One of the more emotional flashbacks was during a time when Clark was just a little boy, being overwhelmed with his new-found powers during a classroom lesson.

Man of Steel shows the struggle of Superman trying to figure out who he really is in a world that he does not come from. When he finally does find out in the middle section of the film, you feel the same excitement and exhilaration that he does, especially when he dons the iconic blue and red suit of his home planet. The tone of the film does shift shortly after when General Zod, the main antagonistic and villain of the film, appears. To put it short, Zod wants to turn Earth into Krypton at the expense of every living thing on the planet. Man of Steel showcases one of the best villains in a comic book film that I've seen since Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Zod actually has a concrete and justifiable reason for his actions and decisions in the film, which set him apart from most throw-away villains in comic book films today. It's because of those reasons he actually feels like a threat and gives the film solidity.

While the first half of Man of Steel is focused on character development and story building, the second half is a huge, action packed payoff as Zod attempts to carry out his plan of literally destroying one planet and rebuilding another. Some critics and people felt that there was too much destruction and death. To truly demonstrate how much of a threat General Zod was, the film showed the true result of a villain's actions. Im glad Snyder took this route of showing actions as opposed to just the plans of a would-be villain being foiled beforehand by the obligatory hero before anything serious actually happens. The villain actually felt like a true comic book adversary.

By the end of the film when you finally see Clark putting on his glasses on his first at the Daily Planet, you get goosebumps and when Lois Lane says to Clark "welcome to the planet", it makes you want to smile just as Clark did. By the time the credits rolled with Hans Zimmer's theme following, I found myself wanting to continue in on Supe's story.

72. Jun 25, 2015
    "Man of Steel" is not a masterpiece, it is just okay. It's slightly better than Superman Returns, but I wish it had more brighter colors... I do think Henry Cavill is a brilliant choice for Superman, and I hope future installments can improve upon this film.
  73. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel isn't a bad film by any means. It's just not the thrilling adventure film it should have been. Everything starts off well. The opening 20 minute retelling of Kal-el's escape from dying Krypton plays like its own epic action short. The setting is so wildly rendered and Jor-el (Russel Crowe) makes for such a compelling hero that I found myself wishing that was the focus of the picture, particularly after I'd seen the rest of it.

The rest of the film's first hour focuses on young Clark Kent's upbringing, and his struggle to discover, control and conceal his powers, and it's less successful. Part of this has to do with director Zack Snyder's (and producer Christopher Nolan's) gritty, realistic approach. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane do great work portraying Clark's adoptive parents, but something just doesn't feel right about Pa Kent telling Clark that "maybe" he should have let his schoolmates drown rather than risk revealing what he could do, or Clark's allowing his father figure to sacrifice himself years later in a twister rather than use his powers to save him in front of a crowd of people.

However, it's the third part of the film that really comes off the rails. I actually enjoyed watching Superman and Lois Lane confront Zod and his minions right up to the point where Supes lost his cool, the result being the leveling of Smallvile. The Superman I know wouldn't have put all those lives at risk by bringing his fight to main street. Then, when the proverbial feces really hits the fan, Metropolis itself is heedlessly decimated. Finally, the ridiculous scenario staged to "make" Superman kill Zod actually made me laugh out loud.
  74. Jun 14, 2015
    Save the world with destruction type plot really hurt this film, I somewhat enjoyed the deeper knowledge given from the characters, not there actions.
  75. May 31, 2015
    I am probably going to get some hate for giving this movie such a low score, but here's what I think of 'Man of Steel', the superhero reboot of the "Superman" character.

Directed by Zack Snyder ("300" and "Watchmen") and produced by Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight"), the movie stars Henry Cavill in the title role as he attempts to fight his greatest enemy, General Zod (Michael Shannon).

The movie opens pretty much similar to the original 'Superman' (1978) which starred Christopher Reeve, in that Krypton is about to be destroyed and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is the father of a newborn Kal-El who is sent to Earth while the original home planet is destroyed. An angry Zod is sent away but plans to stop Kal at his tracks and wants to bring Krypton back.

The movie is told straightforward in present day, but there are a lot of flashbacks in the first two acts of this movie. We see Clark as a young child trying to adapt and get used to his powers, he can hear voices, his vision goes out of control...the lot.

Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play Jonathan and Martha Kent respectively, in committed performances, they care for their young, adopted son and want him to be okay and fit in.

Oscar-nominated actress, Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, a Pulitzer prize winning reporter who meets Clark when she is in danger and instantly wants to know more about him.

That's the most development we get from this movie. I think it's fair to say that 'Man of Steel' is probably the most controversial "Superman" movie since Bryan Singer's 'Superman Returns' (2006), in that it has divided many people who have seen it.

This movie, I feel, delivers all too well on its promise to show us some spectacular action scenes, they occur early and often, and while this proves that there is no shortage of special effects artistry, it's amazing as to how I grew tired and impatient, just exhausted from watching everything getting destroyed in its path. There is a total of three action scenes in this movie, and they go on for roughly 20 - 30 minutes (at least that's how they felt), I couldn't help but feel like asking myself "When will this movie end?", and couldn't Zack Snyder just sacrifice at least one, long action scene for more character development? Just asking.

All in all, this is NOT a bad reboot, but it will divide many audiences who watch it. If you either grew up with or loved the Christopher Reeve "Superman" installments, you are more than likely to feel underwhelmed with this movie. However, if you are a teenager who has never seen any "Superman" movies before and you want to see your very first "Superman" movie, then this could win you over.

I feel like this movie was better than the bleak 'Superman Returns' (2006), but this movie didn't have to be dark and serious like 'The Dark Knight' (2008), Batman needed a dark and gritty movie, Superman is too light-hearted for this tone. It felt very depressing and underwhelming, and the action scenes were just exhausting to watch after you've seen it for five minutes.

Too much action layered over better story-writing, and far too serious to even have fun. 6/10.
  76. May 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder has done again! Bringing another comic book story and its characters to the big screen! Though this movie might have had some no action, yawn inducing, and maybe boring moments with Clark Kent and Lois Lane or Martha and Jonathan Kent, fan-boys can't get enough out of the awesome action fight scenes between Superman and Zod and his minions. And how we watch in awe of how Superman and other characters are reimagined in incredible ways. And the lore and tragic backstory of Clark Kent is both heart wrenching and interesting. Also even though Lex Luthor isn't in the movie, two Easter eggs foreshadow his appearance in the sequel. There are two scenes that show trucks that have the name Lex Corps on them! And best of all Superman is now renamed the "Man of Steel" complete with a new costume (with the undies not on the outside), and an even better theme song not composed by John Williams, but Hans Zimmer. For all those DC fans who are trying to find a descent enough DC movie, here's one that hopefully doesn't disappoint you that much like The Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, or even Catwoman did. Expand
  77. May 23, 2015
    "Man of Steel" breaks with past "Superman" films. Visually, this is an impressive film. The action sequences are pretty epic and certainly the smart selection of scenes and abundance of this action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly. This is a new and smart version of Superman.
  78. May 17, 2015
    The film is good, the story so that is good, the action is kind of exaggerated, it may be a negative point of the film, and lacked a bit of concern Superman with Metropolis, he destroyed a great part of town with their struggle with Zod, that I also found another negative point of the film.
  79. May 5, 2015
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie. 2. Lousy director....the whole film shot with a jerky handheld camera to make it look exciting and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors. 3. Lousy story line constantly jumping from the past and present on Earth and on a different world. 4. Overuse of
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie.

and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors.

4. Overuse of CGI. The ending kept dragging on and on as they destroyed more and more buildings. Less is more. Was actually getting antsy and bored with all the destruction.

5. The ending. When in the world is this guy going to use his super speed to at least TRY to look like someone else. I know, I'll put on a pair of glasses and know one will ever recognize me....not even my mother.
  80. May 3, 2015
    Cavill is a great superman! he really is! unfortuantly the film drags a bit and the action scenes drag on to much! but a really interesting movie and way to tell this story
  81. May 2, 2015
    Not the best Superman movie however the animation, story and progression are spot on. This is pretty much a reboot of the old famous super man movie from the 1990s. The casting roles in the characters were surprising and great choices. The movie is not as polished as the Dark Knight Trilogy but better than the last Super man movie that came before it.
  82. May 1, 2015
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.
    Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton. 2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
  83. Apr 28, 2015
    In short:
    -First half of the movie is crammed with too many plots, it jumps from age to age and doesn't tell a story clearly, it fails at building up Clark Kent as an emotional character or as a character at all
    -Second half is action with Superman already established and it's mostly fine if a little silly sometimes In long: I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's
    In short:

In long:
    I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's undertitle, but it apparently was. Krypton is going to die in the first place, but this movie apparently didn't want to spend 5 to 10 mins showing us the planet, its inhabitants, and making us feel the loss and destruction that they were facing, instead we got an honestly pointless coup d'état from General Zod which was...just stupid. It makes the time on Krypton both too long and something you just want to get over with because of all the unwanted side plots.

Then you get to Clark Kent as a ...young adult? Just straight up, we go from Krypton burns to Clark Kent as an adult. That's it. No backstory, no buildup. Booya.

The cut is BAD. Just outright incompetent. And it's not the only one.

Man of Steel spends over 40 minutes telling Clark's life by chasing off his life experiences one by one, in the most disorderly fashion. You zip from adult to late teenager to kid to adult to teenager to adult to early teenager to younger adult to adult and the worst is, not only are those scenes insufficient because they're all short and don't really mean much, not only are they difficult to really care about because they're shown in a puzzle fashion and you're supposed to put them all in order in your head, but the real absolute worse is that they're ALL having bad cuts!

It's not a fade to black or a clever "I now speak of this person or this experience in my life" and it cuts to said person like in Game of Thrones, no, it's just a hard cut that is an outright false note!

Every time I'm beginning to get interested in one of Clark's instances, I get a cut that not only breaks my interest, but takes me out of the movie because the frame ends on adolescent Clark and suddenly the moment after I'm looking at kid Clark.

Besides the incompetent cuts and unreasonable storytelling, the fact is that the time spent on Krypton's subplots should've been used to show more of Clark Kent the child. Take out 10 mins from Krypton, just show it dying and Kal El being sent out, and spend those 10 mins to build up Clark more competently than it was, with a timewise storytelling and longer scenes.

I'm giving this movie a 4(it could just as easy be a 3) because of one specific scene though. When (spoilers) Clark's dad dies. The scene was so forced, the death was so irrational and stupid, the reactions and acts of the characters so silly, that I burst out laughing.

If your most defining, character-building, emotional scene makes me burst out laughing, you are a terrible movie.

I pushed myself to watch the rest of the movie though, and I didn't regret that. Once Superman gets revealed, the action is nice, Zod is a good foe, lots of elements from the movie work well and unlike a lot of people, I find the murder scene/execution scene of Zod to be perfect for this movie. It adds a layer of depth to Superman's character and succeeds at making him a better character.

With that said, I wouldn't watch this again, ever. Besides all I've listed, the number of plot stupidities is quite high(kudos on Lois Lane for discovering the exact location of one man under a mountainside, hundreds of meters away from her, in the middle of the night, WHILE AN ENTIRE MILITARY CAMP AROUND HER DIDN'T FIND THE GUY), and it makes the movie just silly.

2 for the first half, 5 for the latter, I'll give it a 4.
  84. Apr 28, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  85. Apr 27, 2015
    This is a film that is ridden with flaws, but the breathtaking spectacle and innovative approach Zack Snyder takes with the classic superhero narrative is undeniably brilliant.
  86. Apr 25, 2015
    I think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don'tI think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don't think it stands on it's own two feet as a movie in itself but as an addition and reinvention without completely explaining everything that Superman is that we already know. Expand
  87. Apr 22, 2015

88. Apr 20, 2015
    shake the damn camera like a polaroid picture!
    other than the retina-burning lens flare and the headache inducing camera shaking all over the place, this movie barely has anything to offer.
  89. Apr 19, 2015
    The fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defendThe fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defend this movie by saying "Its dark and gritty you just don't understand it". Don't let those idiots fool you, this movie is not respectably dark. This movie takes no risks with its narrative or characters, making it loose any chance of being actually dark. This movie is just disgraceful. Don't spend money on it. Expand
  90. Mar 26, 2015
    This movie is more stronger then steel. This movie was far better then superman returns, I mean the actor who played superman was really good and the score was epic.
  91. Mar 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the movie. It was time someone updated the myth of Superman, the hero was created in the 30 's.... A time when women didn't have the right to vote, and everything was black or white (commie or not). Seeing Lois Lane inquire about Supes and discovering who we really is from the beginning is a good thing to me. The gritty look is good too. Expand
  92. Feb 14, 2015
    Man of Steel was a good film and it was entertaining i had my doubts at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that I didn't really like about the film, they didn't show enough of his powers like super speed or his breath (I'm just being picky). But overall a good film.
  93. Feb 7, 2015
    From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen.
  94. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
  95. Feb 2, 2015
    The first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconicThe first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconic superhero, but I doubt longtime fans will effectively relate to the overall story and characters. Expand
  96. Jan 26, 2015
    I know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give thisI know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give this anything less than a 7/10. However, I hoped for a stronger startup to the DCU, and as a result, I do not think this film should be the catalyst for the DCU. I just can't imagine a Justice League movie being as dark as this. Expand
  97. Jan 17, 2015
    Man of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as a character; only really being fleshed out when we see Clark growing and using his powers for the first time.

The first half of Man of Steel, though

The first half of Man of Steel, though too dark in tone for my liking and especially for Superman, is quite good, showing the building of character relationships and some emotional moments between them. Any sign of 'heart', however, is just thrown out of the window and through several buildings in Metropolis at the very moment that Zod begins his 'alien invasion', leaving the viewer to sit through mindless action that just goes on and on, with little to no progression, making the story go nowhere.

My biggest issue with Snyder's film is that it just does not feel like a Superman film. Where is that Superman magic that the first Donner film entailed? I appreciate the "updated" origin story and that we're essentially seeing Superman starting out but we never get to see him save someone in the suit. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Superman but he was just not given enough to do in the film, making his character, and a lot of the characters in the film, very empty, never letting the audience care for any of them (apart from perhaps Mama and Papa Kent).

Man of Steel is all style and no substance.
  98. Jan 15, 2015
    An interesting proposal for the superhero genre is to present a fresh and modern Superman, but also dark and realistic. It's not been suitable the direction taken by Zack Snyder, but not bad either. Even so, this movie saves itself thanks to its good plot, narrative, actings and visuals. (71 - 100)
  99. Jan 11, 2015
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see theMan of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see the Clark Kent nerdy reporter side but for the most part I'm sold on him as Superman. Seeing Superman fly at high speeds and fight the other kryptonians was amazing! Critics did not give this movie a fair shake its one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Finally I'm happy to say Man of Steel is superb,amazing, and Super! 9 out of 10 Expand
  100. Jan 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first watched Man of Steel I was completely against it. After actually watching it as a movie and not an anti-superman fan, I really enjoyed the movie. I had a really hard time finding a flaw outside the movie, that is besides the main flaw: Lois Lane. Now my reasoning is this: She comes in on a dig site to be in the right place at the right time, wants to find the mysterious man she met, does basic research and I do mean basic, asks a couple questions and find Clark. She also stated that he has spent a lifetime hiding. When Zod comes and demands Clark/Cal they specifically ask for her even though she has no bearing at all besides the comic book relation. Forced into more of the story by being on a Military aircraft during a bombing, and needs saving on more than one occasion. Zack Snyder forced Lois to be the love interest to fill the comic fans of the golden age. As for the rest of the movie, it was great. The fights showed how Superman is truly Superman who is struggling with his full potential. Great origin and cast. All of the movie besides the forcing of Lois Lane to be the love interest was amazing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.