Man of Steel

7.6

1. Jan 28, 2016
    Man of Steel, in my opinion, is a decent but not quite as better as the original Superman movie. I felt that Zack Synder tried to recapture the atmosphere and brilliance of Richard Donnor's 1978 version, but with little interest on why the DC Universe movies haven't been a gamechanger throughout the years (The Dark Knight Trilogy doesn't count). I was feeling a bit nervous why they choseMan of Steel, in my opinion, is a decent but not quite as better as the original Superman movie. I felt that Zack Synder tried to recapture the atmosphere and brilliance of Richard Donnor's 1978 version, but with little interest on why the DC Universe movies haven't been a gamechanger throughout the years (The Dark Knight Trilogy doesn't count). I was feeling a bit nervous why they chose Henry Cavill donning the red, yellow cape and spandex with the iconic "S" trademark because Superman just way past his prime. Even though Superman Returns was pretty good, but Man Of Steel is less but kinda bland Superman. The movie's ending went horribly wrong (I saw the whole thing, no spoilers), the whole CGI thing is pointless, Kevin Costner's performance as Clark Kent's own father sucked, the action scenes were inspired unless you make the movie for 2 1/2 hours long. And that's the problem.

I'm a little worried for what's to come during 2016's sorta "Man Of Steel" sequel, "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice." Will the movie be any good? Can Batfleck (Ben Affleck) be a better Batman than Christian Bale? Can the movie be as much darker as Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War"? Or can it become the highest-grossing movie of the year? I'm predicting that it's going to get near the 60's at Rotten Tomatoes (or below 50s), but 2016 is full of too much superhero movies. So I might have to wait on that, but as for Man Of Steel, good movie, flawed script, acting is pretty decent, but it's worth a shot.
  2. Jan 26, 2016
    "Man of Steel" was initially in a Superman movie but the trouble is that Superman should add title and it would calls "Superman : Man of Steel" , but the movie was amazing and very powerful.
  3. Jan 25, 2016
    Man of Steel tries to impress fans of the DC universe. It actually worked.... what bothers me to say is that this movie tried so hard to impress people like me. The movie's still decent. What went wrong with it is that the movie went so slow after we head off to the middle.
  4. Jan 22, 2016
    This is actually the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. All of the characters are unlikable heaps of garbage, the action scenes are seizure inducing **** and the plot is constant nonsensical **** 0/10, not a great one.
  5. Jan 16, 2016
    After a second viewing two years later, the movie seems better for me than the first time. The issues I have with it remains from the first viewing (last 40 minutes with no change of rhythm and too much CGI) however, the first hour is solidified with the first 20 minutes on Krypton and the 40 minutes of Clark finding himself. The movie suffers the absense of a strong actor like RussellAfter a second viewing two years later, the movie seems better for me than the first time. The issues I have with it remains from the first viewing (last 40 minutes with no change of rhythm and too much CGI) however, the first hour is solidified with the first 20 minutes on Krypton and the 40 minutes of Clark finding himself. The movie suffers the absense of a strong actor like Russell Crowe in the end (although they find out a way to keep him in the movie as long as it´s possible) but Henry Cavill does a good job keeping you interested. Not the best material for Michael Shannon but it seems like he could´ve done something more giving Zod more character or memorable things to do or say. The movie is a solid 8 but has problems in the story and the way approaching it. For a 2:20 hs of a film, they put together a lot of things for the future. Maybe in future films the rhythm can be tone down a bit to let big moments sink better. And less CGI goes a long way for a movie that wants us to believe that something like this can happen. Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2016
    I liked man of steel. I know it gets so much hate but I thought man of steel was decent. It had a nice plot, great characters and the special effects were amazing. Its a great representation of modern superman and I think its the best they could of done. When the next dc cinematic universe movie comes out(batman vs superman) It can only get better. Although I think its good theyI liked man of steel. I know it gets so much hate but I thought man of steel was decent. It had a nice plot, great characters and the special effects were amazing. Its a great representation of modern superman and I think its the best they could of done. When the next dc cinematic universe movie comes out(batman vs superman) It can only get better. Although I think its good they represented a darker version of superman I think they went slightly overboard. Altogether its a good way to start the dc cinematic universe and ill give it a 7/10. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: The first half of this movie is actually ok, Snyder taking some time to peg some characters well, and establish a tone fairly nicely with the use of flashbacks
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Having said that, it does take along while to get going, and when it does it's pretty awful. If you thought elements of the first half were far-fetched and ridiculous, you haven't seen anything yet. From here on, the film is a mess of CGI, aliens and bizzare rubbish that will stop you caring even an ounce. A lack of emotion, grittiness and any sort of sense, the whole last hour and a quater of this film is on such a huge scale, but with no real gravitas and just makes you feel kind of empty and bored.
    VERDICT: A good film for the first bit, then prety terrible after that. 'Man of Steel' establishes characters well, but does little else in terms of plot, emotion, or... anything much at all.
  8. Jan 3, 2016
    I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

I kinda like how the movie started out, but it went all awry very very fast.

Laurence Fishburne as Perry Mason? Really? No Jimmy Olson? Really? Lois Lane finds out from the start that Clark Kent is superman? Really? Kent saves an entire bus filled with school children but his identity remains unknown? Really? In spite of that, Kent lets his father die because his father doesn't want him to reveal his identity? Really? And finally, are we really supposed to root for some guy who knowingly destroys half a city along with the future of his own species in the middle of a testosterone fueled fight? Really?

Also, both my girlfriend and I had more sympathy for Zod and his crew (who were more or less the only rational people in the story) than for Clark Kent or any of the other "good guys", which is quite telling considering how one-dimensional the villains were overall.
  9. Dec 29, 2015
    Despite its excessive running time, and slightly meandering narrative, Man of Steel has definitely earned its place amongst recent comic-book adaptations, standing tall in the DC / Marvel cinematic universe.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1008d7-Man-of-Steel-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  10. Dec 27, 2015
    Wow Just WOW!!! The Special Effects where just AMAZING!!!! Henry Cavil was a Perfect Casting for Superman! The character development was on point and this truly set up Warner Bros to **** on the Avengers
  11. Dec 24, 2015
    I could give it a 10, or I could give it a 0, but i give it a 6, why?
    The First part of the Movie is awesome!!! just awesome. For Fanatic fans like me who was born with Superman, and know about the REAL story will love that, but....
    Thats the problem.. once you reached the half of the movie, its nonsense, boring, and specially: SILLY... I understand they did it for making a kind of
    I could give it a 10, or I could give it a 0, but i give it a 6, why?

I understand they did it for making a kind of interconnection Superman vs Batman... something i Hate by the way...
    So, everything is good, even Clark Kent/Superman, I like very much since Christopher Reeve (the second one), this new Actor, Henry Cavill. He was awesome...
    Russel Crowe well, he was good because he act very good, but they shouldnt put heavy well known actors, it takes you away of the movie and yo raelised its a movie.. hard to explain what i meant in english...
    So, this Movie is goo, but it could be better...
    Special effects 10/10
    Sound 7/10 (some library sounds from other moviebanks)
    Soundtrack 8/10 (good choice, good emotive selection, except the end, it doesnt fit well during the fight
    Edited 10/10 (good narrative pace)
    Story 5/10 (good begining and its the rael Kal-El Story, but the end sucks.
  12. Dec 20, 2015
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Alles sieht zwar visuell klasse aus und Reeves wurde fast 1:1 getroffen. Aber mein Gefühl sagt mir das dies kein richtiger Superman Film ist. Es ist für mich ein Film ohne Seele.
    Leider ein schlechter Abklatch der großen Christopher Reeves Filme. Warum?
    Sozusagen äußerlich eine schöne Frau aber die inneren Werte kann man vergessen. Keiner braucht dicke Effekte aber eine bessere Story sowie mehr Logik wären von Vorteil gewesen.
  13. Dec 10, 2015
    I recently rewatched this movie and leave it with a higher appreciation:

First of all I have to say that I also saw recently the JL and batman TDKR part 1 and 2 animated films and despite they are good movies (not great) the Superman character (and other heroes) is really dull and I didn't like it at all (au contraire of how interesting Batman is written). They manage to give Superman
    I recently rewatched this movie and leave it with a higher appreciation:

They manage to give Superman his own story in a compelling way, the character has depth, he is no a government dog he makes his own decision and he decides everyday what kind of being he wants to be "the Savior" or "the Ruler". Also there are a lot of people complaining about "destruction" there is a lot of destruction in the DCU, I believed them when they talked about the destruction but after seeing the animated universe the fighting scenes are really well done and are one of the higher points of this movie.

Second, after seeing the direction of Batman v Superman through the trailers you realise that the movie has lot of nice details touching religion, how humans can react and that not everybody is prepare or will trust this "god" and how all this set the premise for BvS.

Despite this cool things (and other I don't name), how look the movies looks, etc there are a couple of moments that don't make sense or there are really not reason to be there (like the tentacles thingy, or the military chick saying that superman is hot).

This movie is clearly not perfect but is probably the best superhero movie right know, the actions scenes are awesome, everything looks nice, the constant possibility that is given to Superman to make his own choice is a great touch (despite we all know he is not going "dark side"), how people is not necessary reacting well (sometimes it's beyond stupid how they react but it's also something that happened in the animated universe), personally I don't understand why people are complaining this much about the movie but I'm not a comic book fan and, like I said, I'm talking from what I saw at DCAU (which, to me, isn't perfect neither).
  14. Nov 28, 2015
    I guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think of a list of things I 'like" against things I "dislike." With this movie I can only think of 2 likes. Henry Cavill is a great Superman and I like theI guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think of a list of things I 'like" against things I "dislike." With this movie I can only think of 2 likes. Henry Cavill is a great Superman and I like the art style and design choices for things like the opening act on Krypton. Other than that I can list many things that don't make sense but a fan online will just argue with you or make grand assumptions. How can Superman be negatively affected by atmospherics (is that a word?) when he can survive in space without breathing? How is Superman powered by our "yellow" sun when it is actually white but our atmosphere changes it's color throughout the day? How does his father just conveniently disappear into a tornado instead of gets tossed around like a semi-truck? How can Zod adjust to Earth in mere hours when it took Clark years of his life? How can Lois Lane survive Arctic weather in a small coat when the Army guy said she would easily freeze overnight?
    Too many silly questions that get an easy pass by the super fans.
  15. Nov 28, 2015
    Very comic book accurate and gave us a taste of Superman's true power that we see all the time in animated series and movies not to mention the comics. Superman also has always been a bit hot headed and jumps into a fight initially before thinking. To say what I just said is not true means you are not aware of the comic Superman history or you are just hating on the movie for personalVery comic book accurate and gave us a taste of Superman's true power that we see all the time in animated series and movies not to mention the comics. Superman also has always been a bit hot headed and jumps into a fight initially before thinking. To say what I just said is not true means you are not aware of the comic Superman history or you are just hating on the movie for personal reasons. And by no means am I saying you have to like the movie or any Superman movie but to say that any of the previous Superman movies were better is comical....pun intended. Man of Steel was amazingly written. The best set up for a villain in a comic book movie ever as the first 15 to 20 minutes was used to set up Zod.

Zod's motivation was very clear and in a weird way you sympathized with Zod's point of view of saving his race; it was only his method of accomplishing his goal of saving his race that most disagreed with. Man of Steel also was a movie about a son and his two fathers laying the ground work for Superman. Both fathers wanted to protect their son while knowing that one day he would be great and they were right as his very first task was not saving a plane from crashing but saving the human race from extinction.

Visually this movie showed you exactly what you see in the comics as it relates to Supermans true power which is god like.
  16. Nov 15, 2015
    how did this get a low reviews its quite a good film i liked it 1 of my favourite super hero films superman is bad ass king of super heros but hulk v superman that would be an endless fight hmm anyway good film lol
  17. Nov 2, 2015
    Despite the romance being bland, Man of Steel is an exciting, action packed movie that will thrill fans, but disappoint critics. Even though Man of Steel is filled with a surprising amount of action sequences (which were the best parts of the movie), the movie does an excellent job in telling the tale of Clark Kent and his rise as Superman.
  18. Nov 1, 2015
    Most underrated movie this movie is a masterpiece people didn't like it because it wasn't marvel which is kid material and this is a new look for superman that I would love to see dc adapt to even there comics and I think people should watch it again so they can rethink about what to rate this its a 10 movie even the flight scene was probably one of the best scene of all time in any superman movie
  19. Oct 29, 2015
    This movie was so bad that it made Superman IV look like an academy award nominee.

Starting with reinventing the traditional Superman costume to having Clark Kent work a number of manual labor jobs while he tries to figure out his destiny was bizarre let alone the fact that Lois Lane not only knows Clark is Superman but helps him get a job on the Daily Planet. Why Brandon Routh was

Why Brandon Routh was not allowed to reprise his role from “Superman Returns” remains another mystery to many movie goers. Henry Cavil’s performance was mediocre at best. The worst performance came from the actress who played Lois Lane.
  20. Oct 19, 2015
    This is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially Michael Shannon as the perpetually bitter villain Zod, and Caville makes a pretty decent Superman. The one thing I object to though is that in the third act theThis is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially Michael Shannon as the perpetually bitter villain Zod, and Caville makes a pretty decent Superman. The one thing I object to though is that in the third act the action does begin to go on for far too long. The action scenes are all amazingly well done so I won't complain too much but they're too much of a good thing after a while. Nonetheless, this is on a level way above most superhero movies, filled with smart storytelling, and moments that can't be described as anything but awe inspiring. Expand
  21. Sep 29, 2015
    Loved Man of Steel, it was exciting and captivating and the acting was flawless. Special effects were great and the portayel of the characters was amazing. Wasn't crazy on who they chose to play Lois Lane but other then that it was by far on of the best super hero movies I saw and I can't wait for the sequel.
  22. Sep 28, 2015
    A loud mess of violence and poor righting. The destruction of the entire city was tasteless as was some of the violence. Before you get mad at me for being anti-gore or whatever, know that I liked the Dark Knight movies, including the violence because it fit the theme of the films. This did not. Also Amy Adams portrayal of Lois Lane was insulting to the character.
  23. Aug 27, 2015
    "Man of Steel" is a refreshing new reboot of the old superman days with flashing action and eye-catching visuals. The plot does wander off to uncharted territory at times, but overall a good movie to watch during one's spare time.
  24. Aug 24, 2015
    A Superman film that focuses on the Alien aspect of the story, with more exposition on him home planet than the person that is Clark Kent/Superman. While that may suit viewers that have seen the origin of Superman told over and over again, it means there's little to relate to with this particular Superman.

In fact the Kent family in general are quite heavily de-emphasised in this

In fact the Kent family in general are quite heavily de-emphasised in this movie, and while they have as little screen on time as 1978's Superman, they lack the charm of that family, and merely serve as plot devices.

Russell Crowe steals this film, bursting with charisma and presence, whilst making this more a Gladiator in Space than a Superman film. Zod is a shallow character, nothing more than a war machine, and the alien vs alien battle scenes are impressive but overwhelming. I found Man Of Steel a better film than I expected, and an improvement over the gloomy and desaturated Superman Returns, but the writing is lackluster, and the impact is weak.

I hope Superman v Batman is able to have more heart.
  25. Aug 15, 2015
    This Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The paceThis Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The pace wasn't a problem for me as I didn't expect Superman to be Superman yet, which is why they don't say that word alot in the film. Its not Lois and Clark with a bigger budget so don't expect a love story, expect a super powered being with real problems and a kick ass last 45 minutes and I promise you'll love it just as much as I did. marvel movies is boring for me i feel like they are for kids, dc knows how to make an good movvie Expand
  26. Aug 13, 2015
    It goes beyond what we thought about the man of steel character. This movie is way ahead of it. It shows what really we all have been waiting for: soundtrack, acting, and mostly action
  27. Aug 10, 2015
    I heard it was awesome and I went to go see it and I agree what people say. I loved the flashbacks especially and the action scenes that's actual action unlike other movies that have a cheap action sequence. though I don't know why he couldn't just fly away with him instead in snapping his neck but it was a epic neck snap.
  28. Jul 29, 2015
    It is a very good movie, but in history there are many plot holes in the origin of the famous hero, which is "Superman".
    The effects are spectacular, Krypton design, the design of armor and ships. I remembered a lot to "Pandora" of "Avatar".
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows
    The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done and a great villain who is Michael Shannon as Zod SPECTACULAR
  29. Jul 21, 2015
    Main thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70'sMain thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70's Superman like "Superman Returns". For me Man of Steel is even better than Superman (1978) and Superman 2 (1980) Expand
  30. Jul 21, 2015
    Man of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildingsMan of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildings while fighting Zod and the Christ or saviour metaphors that run throughout the film, in the end I really enjoyed it and I never got why Man Of Steel received mixed reviews but the lackluster Superman Returns a relatively positive reception
    7.5/10
  31. Jul 18, 2015
    Man of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is notMan of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is not a huge comic book guy, I did not really care. She's a great actress and it is able to show in this film to a degree. In addition to the acting, the special effects were spectacular and the cinematography was stupendous at times. There were some seriously gorgeous shots in this one and it is one of the few superhero movies where I really noticed that area. However, I will say that it does try to do a lot and struggles from typical origin story pitfalls. The pacing can be extremely bad at times and the dialogue is pretty horrendous at times and middling at best. Overall, Man of Steel is a slightly above average film that succeeds in some areas and fails in others, but overall does a nice job setting up the new Superman story and the new universe. Expand
  32. Jul 10, 2015
    Wouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still this movies an injustice to such comic book
  33. Jun 26, 2015
    Cavill and Synder did a pretty solid job and bringing superman back on the screen. The best Superman in my opinion in terms of film and casting. I can't wait to see where the DC cinematic universe goes from here
  34. Jun 26, 2015
    I'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder forI'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder for making the deepest, most complex and best version of Superman I've ever experienced.

Man of Steel begins with the birth of Kal-El on his home planet of Krypton, which is literally on the brink of self destruction. Kal's father, Jor-El , knows this so he sends his son to Earth in the hopes of him carrying on their race. This portion of the film was done very well, and you feel every minute of the urgency and drama. Seeing Krypton fully beautifully and tragically realized on film was breathtaking, even if for a short time. After the intro, things are a bit fast fowarded, as you see Clark Kent/Kal El now as an adult. Although you see Clark as an adult, the film does an amazing job of developing his character through several flashbacks of him as a boy, a teenager and a young adult throughout. Those flashbacks are meaningful as the events in the flashbacks shape him into the man he is and is to become. One of the more emotional flashbacks was during a time when Clark was just a little boy, being overwhelmed with his new-found powers during a classroom lesson.

Man of Steel shows the struggle of Superman trying to figure out who he really is in a world that he does not come from. When he finally does find out in the middle section of the film, you feel the same excitement and exhilaration that he does, especially when he dons the iconic blue and red suit of his home planet. The tone of the film does shift shortly after when General Zod, the main antagonistic and villain of the film, appears. To put it short, Zod wants to turn Earth into Krypton at the expense of every living thing on the planet. Man of Steel showcases one of the best villains in a comic book film that I've seen since Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Zod actually has a concrete and justifiable reason for his actions and decisions in the film, which set him apart from most throw-away villains in comic book films today. It's because of those reasons he actually feels like a threat and gives the film solidity.

While the first half of Man of Steel is focused on character development and story building, the second half is a huge, action packed payoff as Zod attempts to carry out his plan of literally destroying one planet and rebuilding another. Some critics and people felt that there was too much destruction and death. To truly demonstrate how much of a threat General Zod was, the film showed the true result of a villain's actions. Im glad Snyder took this route of showing actions as opposed to just the plans of a would-be villain being foiled beforehand by the obligatory hero before anything serious actually happens. The villain actually felt like a true comic book adversary.

By the end of the film when you finally see Clark putting on his glasses on his first at the Daily Planet, you get goosebumps and when Lois Lane says to Clark "welcome to the planet", it makes you want to smile just as Clark did. By the time the credits rolled with Hans Zimmer's theme following, I found myself wanting to continue in on Supe's story.

35. Jun 25, 2015
    "Man of Steel" is not a masterpiece, it is just okay. It's slightly better than Superman Returns, but I wish it had more brighter colors... I do think Henry Cavill is a brilliant choice for Superman, and I hope future installments can improve upon this film.
  36. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel isn't a bad film by any means. It's just not the thrilling adventure film it should have been. Everything starts off well. The opening 20 minute retelling of Kal-el's escape from dying Krypton plays like its own epic action short. The setting is so wildly rendered and Jor-el (Russel Crowe) makes for such a compelling hero that I found myself wishing that was the focus of the picture, particularly after I'd seen the rest of it.

The rest of the film's first hour focuses on young Clark Kent's upbringing, and his struggle to discover, control and conceal his powers, and it's less successful. Part of this has to do with director Zack Snyder's (and producer Christopher Nolan's) gritty, realistic approach. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane do great work portraying Clark's adoptive parents, but something just doesn't feel right about Pa Kent telling Clark that "maybe" he should have let his schoolmates drown rather than risk revealing what he could do, or Clark's allowing his father figure to sacrifice himself years later in a twister rather than use his powers to save him in front of a crowd of people.

However, it's the third part of the film that really comes off the rails. I actually enjoyed watching Superman and Lois Lane confront Zod and his minions right up to the point where Supes lost his cool, the result being the leveling of Smallvile. The Superman I know wouldn't have put all those lives at risk by bringing his fight to main street. Then, when the proverbial feces really hits the fan, Metropolis itself is heedlessly decimated. Finally, the ridiculous scenario staged to "make" Superman kill Zod actually made me laugh out loud.
  37. Jun 14, 2015
    Save the world with destruction type plot really hurt this film, I somewhat enjoyed the deeper knowledge given from the characters, not there actions.
  38. May 31, 2015
    I am probably going to get some hate for giving this movie such a low score, but here's what I think of 'Man of Steel', the superhero reboot of the "Superman" character.

Directed by Zack Snyder ("300" and "Watchmen") and produced by Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight"), the movie stars Henry Cavill in the title role as he attempts to fight his greatest enemy, General Zod (Michael Shannon).

The movie opens pretty much similar to the original 'Superman' (1978) which starred Christopher Reeve, in that Krypton is about to be destroyed and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is the father of a newborn Kal-El who is sent to Earth while the original home planet is destroyed. An angry Zod is sent away but plans to stop Kal at his tracks and wants to bring Krypton back.

The movie is told straightforward in present day, but there are a lot of flashbacks in the first two acts of this movie. We see Clark as a young child trying to adapt and get used to his powers, he can hear voices, his vision goes out of control...the lot.

Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play Jonathan and Martha Kent respectively, in committed performances, they care for their young, adopted son and want him to be okay and fit in.

Oscar-nominated actress, Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, a Pulitzer prize winning reporter who meets Clark when she is in danger and instantly wants to know more about him.

That's the most development we get from this movie. I think it's fair to say that 'Man of Steel' is probably the most controversial "Superman" movie since Bryan Singer's 'Superman Returns' (2006), in that it has divided many people who have seen it.

This movie, I feel, delivers all too well on its promise to show us some spectacular action scenes, they occur early and often, and while this proves that there is no shortage of special effects artistry, it's amazing as to how I grew tired and impatient, just exhausted from watching everything getting destroyed in its path. There is a total of three action scenes in this movie, and they go on for roughly 20 - 30 minutes (at least that's how they felt), I couldn't help but feel like asking myself "When will this movie end?", and couldn't Zack Snyder just sacrifice at least one, long action scene for more character development? Just asking.

All in all, this is NOT a bad reboot, but it will divide many audiences who watch it. If you either grew up with or loved the Christopher Reeve "Superman" installments, you are more than likely to feel underwhelmed with this movie. However, if you are a teenager who has never seen any "Superman" movies before and you want to see your very first "Superman" movie, then this could win you over.

I feel like this movie was better than the bleak 'Superman Returns' (2006), but this movie didn't have to be dark and serious like 'The Dark Knight' (2008), Batman needed a dark and gritty movie, Superman is too light-hearted for this tone. It felt very depressing and underwhelming, and the action scenes were just exhausting to watch after you've seen it for five minutes.

Too much action layered over better story-writing, and far too serious to even have fun. 6/10.
  39. May 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder has done again! Bringing another comic book story and its characters to the big screen! Though this movie might have had some no action, yawn inducing, and maybe boring moments with Clark Kent and Lois Lane or Martha and Jonathan Kent, fan-boys can't get enough out of the awesome action fight scenes between Superman and Zod and his minions. And how we watch in awe of how Superman and other characters are reimagined in incredible ways. And the lore and tragic backstory of Clark Kent is both heart wrenching and interesting. Also even though Lex Luthor isn't in the movie, two Easter eggs foreshadow his appearance in the sequel. There are two scenes that show trucks that have the name Lex Corps on them! And best of all Superman is now renamed the "Man of Steel" complete with a new costume (with the undies not on the outside), and an even better theme song not composed by John Williams, but Hans Zimmer. For all those DC fans who are trying to find a descent enough DC movie, here's one that hopefully doesn't disappoint you that much like The Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, or even Catwoman did. Expand
  40. May 23, 2015
    "Man of Steel" breaks with past "Superman" films. Visually, this is an impressive film. The action sequences are pretty epic and certainly the smart selection of scenes and abundance of this action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly. This is a new and smart version of Superman.
  41. May 17, 2015
    The film is good, the story so that is good, the action is kind of exaggerated, it may be a negative point of the film, and lacked a bit of concern Superman with Metropolis, he destroyed a great part of town with their struggle with Zod, that I also found another negative point of the film.
  42. May 5, 2015
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie. 2. Lousy director....the whole film shot with a jerky handheld camera to make it look exciting and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors. 3. Lousy story line constantly jumping from the past and present on Earth and on a different world. 4. Overuse of
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie.

and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors.

4. Overuse of CGI. The ending kept dragging on and on as they destroyed more and more buildings. Less is more. Was actually getting antsy and bored with all the destruction.

5. The ending. When in the world is this guy going to use his super speed to at least TRY to look like someone else. I know, I'll put on a pair of glasses and know one will ever recognize me....not even my mother.
  43. May 3, 2015
    Cavill is a great superman! he really is! unfortuantly the film drags a bit and the action scenes drag on to much! but a really interesting movie and way to tell this story
  44. May 2, 2015
    Not the best Superman movie however the animation, story and progression are spot on. This is pretty much a reboot of the old famous super man movie from the 1990s. The casting roles in the characters were surprising and great choices. The movie is not as polished as the Dark Knight Trilogy but better than the last Super man movie that came before it.
  45. May 1, 2015
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.
    Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton. 2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
  46. Apr 28, 2015
    In short:
    -First half of the movie is crammed with too many plots, it jumps from age to age and doesn't tell a story clearly, it fails at building up Clark Kent as an emotional character or as a character at all
    -Second half is action with Superman already established and it's mostly fine if a little silly sometimes In long: I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's
    In short:

In long:
    I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's undertitle, but it apparently was. Krypton is going to die in the first place, but this movie apparently didn't want to spend 5 to 10 mins showing us the planet, its inhabitants, and making us feel the loss and destruction that they were facing, instead we got an honestly pointless coup d'état from General Zod which was...just stupid. It makes the time on Krypton both too long and something you just want to get over with because of all the unwanted side plots.

Then you get to Clark Kent as a ...young adult? Just straight up, we go from Krypton burns to Clark Kent as an adult. That's it. No backstory, no buildup. Booya.

The cut is BAD. Just outright incompetent. And it's not the only one.

Man of Steel spends over 40 minutes telling Clark's life by chasing off his life experiences one by one, in the most disorderly fashion. You zip from adult to late teenager to kid to adult to teenager to adult to early teenager to younger adult to adult and the worst is, not only are those scenes insufficient because they're all short and don't really mean much, not only are they difficult to really care about because they're shown in a puzzle fashion and you're supposed to put them all in order in your head, but the real absolute worse is that they're ALL having bad cuts!

It's not a fade to black or a clever "I now speak of this person or this experience in my life" and it cuts to said person like in Game of Thrones, no, it's just a hard cut that is an outright false note!

Every time I'm beginning to get interested in one of Clark's instances, I get a cut that not only breaks my interest, but takes me out of the movie because the frame ends on adolescent Clark and suddenly the moment after I'm looking at kid Clark.

Besides the incompetent cuts and unreasonable storytelling, the fact is that the time spent on Krypton's subplots should've been used to show more of Clark Kent the child. Take out 10 mins from Krypton, just show it dying and Kal El being sent out, and spend those 10 mins to build up Clark more competently than it was, with a timewise storytelling and longer scenes.

I'm giving this movie a 4(it could just as easy be a 3) because of one specific scene though. When (spoilers) Clark's dad dies. The scene was so forced, the death was so irrational and stupid, the reactions and acts of the characters so silly, that I burst out laughing.

If your most defining, character-building, emotional scene makes me burst out laughing, you are a terrible movie.

I pushed myself to watch the rest of the movie though, and I didn't regret that. Once Superman gets revealed, the action is nice, Zod is a good foe, lots of elements from the movie work well and unlike a lot of people, I find the murder scene/execution scene of Zod to be perfect for this movie. It adds a layer of depth to Superman's character and succeeds at making him a better character.

With that said, I wouldn't watch this again, ever. Besides all I've listed, the number of plot stupidities is quite high(kudos on Lois Lane for discovering the exact location of one man under a mountainside, hundreds of meters away from her, in the middle of the night, WHILE AN ENTIRE MILITARY CAMP AROUND HER DIDN'T FIND THE GUY), and it makes the movie just silly.

2 for the first half, 5 for the latter, I'll give it a 4.
  47. Apr 28, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  48. Apr 27, 2015
    This is a film that is ridden with flaws, but the breathtaking spectacle and innovative approach Zack Snyder takes with the classic superhero narrative is undeniably brilliant.
  49. Apr 25, 2015
    I think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don'tI think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don't think it stands on it's own two feet as a movie in itself but as an addition and reinvention without completely explaining everything that Superman is that we already know. Expand
  50. Apr 22, 2015

51. Apr 20, 2015
    shake the damn camera like a polaroid picture!
    other than the retina-burning lens flare and the headache inducing camera shaking all over the place, this movie barely has anything to offer.
  52. Apr 19, 2015
    The fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defendThe fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defend this movie by saying "Its dark and gritty you just don't understand it". Don't let those idiots fool you, this movie is not respectably dark. This movie takes no risks with its narrative or characters, making it loose any chance of being actually dark. This movie is just disgraceful. Don't spend money on it. Expand
  53. Mar 26, 2015
    This movie is more stronger then steel. This movie was far better then superman returns, I mean the actor who played superman was really good and the score was epic.
  54. Mar 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the movie. It was time someone updated the myth of Superman, the hero was created in the 30 's.... A time when women didn't have the right to vote, and everything was black or white (commie or not). Seeing Lois Lane inquire about Supes and discovering who we really is from the beginning is a good thing to me. The gritty look is good too. Expand
  55. Feb 14, 2015
    Man of Steel was a good film and it was entertaining i had my doubts at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that I didn't really like about the film, they didn't show enough of his powers like super speed or his breath (I'm just being picky). But overall a good film.
  56. Feb 7, 2015
    From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen.
  57. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
  58. Feb 2, 2015
    The first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconicThe first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconic superhero, but I doubt longtime fans will effectively relate to the overall story and characters. Expand
  59. Jan 26, 2015
    I know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give thisI know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give this anything less than a 7/10. However, I hoped for a stronger startup to the DCU, and as a result, I do not think this film should be the catalyst for the DCU. I just can't imagine a Justice League movie being as dark as this. Expand
  60. Jan 17, 2015
    Man of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as a character; only really being fleshed out when we see Clark growing and using his powers for the first time.

The first half of Man of Steel, though

The first half of Man of Steel, though too dark in tone for my liking and especially for Superman, is quite good, showing the building of character relationships and some emotional moments between them. Any sign of 'heart', however, is just thrown out of the window and through several buildings in Metropolis at the very moment that Zod begins his 'alien invasion', leaving the viewer to sit through mindless action that just goes on and on, with little to no progression, making the story go nowhere.

My biggest issue with Snyder's film is that it just does not feel like a Superman film. Where is that Superman magic that the first Donner film entailed? I appreciate the "updated" origin story and that we're essentially seeing Superman starting out but we never get to see him save someone in the suit. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Superman but he was just not given enough to do in the film, making his character, and a lot of the characters in the film, very empty, never letting the audience care for any of them (apart from perhaps Mama and Papa Kent).

Man of Steel is all style and no substance.
  61. Jan 15, 2015
    An interesting proposal for the superhero genre is to present a fresh and modern Superman, but also dark and realistic. It's not been suitable the direction taken by Zack Snyder, but not bad either. Even so, this movie saves itself thanks to its good plot, narrative, actings and visuals. (71 - 100)
  62. Jan 11, 2015
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see theMan of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see the Clark Kent nerdy reporter side but for the most part I'm sold on him as Superman. Seeing Superman fly at high speeds and fight the other kryptonians was amazing! Critics did not give this movie a fair shake its one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Finally I'm happy to say Man of Steel is superb,amazing, and Super! 9 out of 10 Expand
  63. Jan 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first watched Man of Steel I was completely against it. After actually watching it as a movie and not an anti-superman fan, I really enjoyed the movie. I had a really hard time finding a flaw outside the movie, that is besides the main flaw: Lois Lane. Now my reasoning is this: She comes in on a dig site to be in the right place at the right time, wants to find the mysterious man she met, does basic research and I do mean basic, asks a couple questions and find Clark. She also stated that he has spent a lifetime hiding. When Zod comes and demands Clark/Cal they specifically ask for her even though she has no bearing at all besides the comic book relation. Forced into more of the story by being on a Military aircraft during a bombing, and needs saving on more than one occasion. Zack Snyder forced Lois to be the love interest to fill the comic fans of the golden age. As for the rest of the movie, it was great. The fights showed how Superman is truly Superman who is struggling with his full potential. Great origin and cast. All of the movie besides the forcing of Lois Lane to be the love interest was amazing. Expand
  64. Jan 7, 2015
    Not only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over his head here and knows only how to direct special effects. A truly terrible movie.
  65. Jan 3, 2015
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:

The movie got an awesome beginning with action at a high speed with stunning special effects. The music that Hans Zimmer composed is amazing, just as spectacular as in Interstellar and in his other works. I can't understand those who dislike this wonderful movie, but if you must point finger on someone it got to be Zack Snyder. I mean come on, what kind of unique and great movies has he made, well it can't be the producers (Christopher Nolan) fault. The movie has a great story, and I never feel bored, because there´s nothing to get bored of! I have seen this movie at least 5 times since its premiere and I still love it. The movie got some weak parts though, because there are some places when the CGI could have been better. But there´s still many unique and spectacular things in this movie, but some of them I've already seen in other movies. Another bad thing is that it might be too much fighting near the end, and I also think that they could have done more in the 2 hours and 23 minutes. But the ending though, couldn't have been more awesome as it is, and I can't wait until Batman v Superman comes out. Man of Steel is overall a spectacular, cool and a SUPER-MOVIE.

Man of Steel gets a 9/10.
  66. Dec 30, 2014
    makes all the other supermans look average, plenty of action and destroying stuff. Like the spaceships but found the bit parts for supermans dad and daily planet chief to be boring and out of place.
  67. Dec 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give the first 30 minutes of the movie a 10/10 and the proceeding hour and a half a 0/10.

It honestly felt like the first half hour couldn't have been done any better and the latter part of the movie could not have been done worst. Every event surrounding his father and protecting his identity was wrought with logic that doesn't stand up to outside scrutiny. A reporter who had no prior contact with him tracked him down effortlessly and there's at least a few dozen people that have seen him in action and seen his face and yet when it comes time to save his father it becomes a necessity to protect his identity and let the father die. That entire scene was a mess though as the family as it makes no sense whatsoever. They open their car doors, start talking about how a tornado is about to reach them, and they feel the need to close the car doors after the realization and locking their dog inside which they somehow forgot about. "A tornadoes coming?! I should first shut all the car doors and THEN run for shelter!"

The movie also killed the magic of superman as an extremely competent superhero with a few scripting blunders. First of all, only superman seemed to be having difficulty with General Zod's men. In that spaceship Lois managed to kill like 4 or 5 of the enemy alone using one of their own guns which undermines Supermans struggle with them as he kept getting knocked around in fist fights. I'm also used to Superman media having him save the day before anything tragic has a chance to happen but in this movie a whole city gets totaled with an expected casualty count in the millions and we're supposed to think it was a happy ending just because an army girl calls superman "hot"? We're all used to Superman films, cartoons, and comics having lots of collateral damage to buildings and the city but there was never the implication people died in the process and yet this movie ends with the explicit message that many innocent people of that city were caught and killed in the turmoil. Superman just felt like a sham of a hero with how incompetent he was at handling the situation and his failure to protect the people.
  68. Dec 22, 2014
    Dark,Gritty and fun,Superman returns in a brand new Movie reboot "Man Of Steel".Man of steel is a good film with great action and stunning visual effects.The Movie has flaws and some plot holes but the movie is still good in general.
  69. Dec 21, 2014
    The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax.
  70. Dec 18, 2014
    This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine.
  71. Dec 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great, I don't care what anyone says. No one appreciates this movie because they say it's full of "destruction porn." While I have to agree that the violence is a bit excessive, it is excessive for a reason. This is because this movie is showing an inexperienced and young Superman unlike the experienced and wise Superman played by Christopher Reeve. The Superman in Man of Steel has way more human qualities and has a hard time controlling his powers, which is much more realistic. I also appreciated when Superman killed General Zod in this movie because he was making the very bold and difficult choice of killing the only other and last Kryptonian. You can see he was upset because of his crying after this scene. He had no choice! All of the realism in this movie combined with the awesome effects and solid acting makes Man of Steel get a 9/10 (Awesome). Expand
  72. Dec 13, 2014
    If we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just notIf we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just not that good. Fans will be generous and applaud it's efforts, but heed my warning, don't go into it with big expectations. Expand
  73. Nov 23, 2014
    A joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problemA joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problem with how the fight with Zod ended, but I do have a problem that the buildup wasn't there so the victory/choice wasn't truly earned. After thousands of people die (which he stops to stand over their corpses to kiss Lois, ugh not a romantic moment), he suddenly cares about four idiots in a subway who don't know how to run away? Not convincing. This frat boy punch face stuff just does not comprehend the heart and joy of the Superman franchise.

Also, blatant commercial plugs for IHOP, Sears, etc were farrrr too blatant.

The only reason this movie is not getting a '0' is because Zod was a well-acted, well-portrayed villain despite the strange voice impediment, and the Krypton stuff at the beginning was fun (though again, favored action over depth, at least it had more depth than the rest of the movie).

This movie also has the most pointless death ever. Because even though he's fast enough to be a blur, they needed some B.S. dramatic moment that 'looked cool' for some dumbass reason.

Awful movie. Made me realize how much better Superman Returns was because of all the things it got right despite being a flawed movie.

Don't watch Man of $teel. With any luck the Batman/Superman movie will be better, but I doubt it, because jock-brained Zach Snyder is still helming it.
  74. Nov 16, 2014
    I knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, tooI knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, too many destruction across the city of Metropolis and Superman's committed killing Zod and failed to save some citizens which is predictable. Expand
  75. Nov 13, 2014
    "Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

"Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Good: Superman is finally updated and made relevant to the masses. Is it an exact interpretation of the comic book character? No, it isn't. It is a modern Superman for a modern world and is extremely well done. Well acted, especially Cavill, Shannon, and Crowe. This is how a super hero franchise should start and I was impressed with the depth of the script. The flashbacks were extremely well done and helped move the movie along by skipping past yet another origin story in the opening act. The sci-fi elements and stressing that Superman is indeed an alien was a good call. Clark is isolated and alone, which was far more realistic than one would expect. Exceptional fight scenes that put the sheer magnitude of the powers involved on display.

The Bad: During the final battles, the sheer amount of damage done and death was dizzying. It got to the point where I actually said aloud "Why is anyone still in the area?!?!" Some people are annoyed that Superman didn't save everyone, but that was sort of the point ... he can't save everyone. Shannon was up to the task and Zod was very cool, but came across as more than a little ham-fisted at times. I would have liked him to be more of a combination of wits and force instead of relying almost solely on power.
  76. Nov 12, 2014
    Zack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movieZack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movie definitely has some pacing issues, and the way it was shot was too bleak and shaky, I would have preferred to see a more colorful and steady movie. The movie has some plot holes and is oddly paced, but it's still one awesome ride and a good way to start DC's cinematic universe. Expand
  77. Nov 9, 2014
    Man of Steel may be a preposterous epic with over the top action sequences and a plethora of underused, one sided characters but it is an epic nonetheless.
  78. Nov 8, 2014
    The Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or elseThe Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or else it's no fun! A great beginning does not make-up for a mediocre middle or a disastrous ending!

The Man of Steel starts with a fantastic back story. For the very first time we really get to observe Krypton in all it's technological glory! Only to see the story slowly degenerate into camp with cardboard characters from the military that you could find in any comic books story. And, then like a car with a stuck accelerator, the story rapidly turns into another brainless war porn and 9/11-type flick (Chicago gets trashed instead of New York. When your story is so rotten you distract your audience by wrecking another major city! Wow! That was imaginative!)

Man Of Steel is also the ultimate product placement film. In fact, you could randomly choose a half-dozen movies that have been shown on the big screen this past year - and I'll bet you the Man of Steel has more product placement then all of them COMBINED! It was so obnoxious it was distracting! In the 45 years of watching movies I can only think of a handful of times that product placement has been this aggressive!! It's also symptomatic of an incredibly weak story!

The Man of Steel is so bad I was dying to walk out; but, I went to see the film with a friend so I felt obligated to stay. At least I had the sense to close my eyes and tune-out the last half hour of explosions, grunting and screaming in order to put my meditation skills to the test! I'm happy to report that even though I was totally sober I was able to completely tune-out the last 30 minutes of the Man of Steel and I could care less about what happened to any of the story's characters!
  79. Oct 27, 2014
    this film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Darkthis film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Dark Knight Trilogy were Expand
  80. Sep 30, 2014
    With plenty of action and well crafted dialogue, and an exceptional performance by Henry Cavill, Man of Steel truly shows why Superman is great and provides perhaps the best Superman film.
  81. Sep 9, 2014
    I must be getting old or just really old fashioned. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it sure wasn't one I'd want to watch again. It's the worst "Superman" movie I've ever seen.
  82. Sep 7, 2014
    I am not a fan of superhero movies, but as they go, especially DC Comics, this is definitely one of the weakest and lightest. However, Man of Steel is still entertaining with really cool CGI.
  83. Sep 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I realize this movie came out over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I walked out from watching Man of Steel at the theatre simply feeling down. It was waay too much destruction and towards the end of the movie where like half the city is destroyed and you can visibly see thousands upon thousands of innocent humans plus thousands more off-screen inside of the buildings get killed in some way or another. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing put together movie with awesome effects and all but all I'm saying is there is A LOT more destruction and death of innocents than is needed. I couldn't really be proud and happy for superman even after he won and saved Earth because the fact that all those people, no doubt including children who's lives were more cut short(not shown being killed on-screen but saying hundreds or even thousands die off screen is perfectly fine for some reason...). Superman saves people right? Well that did happen in this movie but on a small scale so to be honest, I simply could not appreciate this movie or even Superman. But then again this could just be me and my really sensitive heart... But I'm sure some people will agree though. Expand
  84. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, andThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
  85. Aug 31, 2014
    "A good death is its own reward" - Faora

A superhero movies ..not really what i like.Maybe this is why i give score "5".I don't know, not caught my attention.
  86. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good film, but sometimes i feel like if the screenplay was incoherent. however this fail is fixed thanks to the destructive scenes, the plot by Mr nolan, the music by mr zimmer and the most intense scenes of the film. I wish the sequels improve on the flaws in this movie. Expand
  87. Aug 7, 2014
    After the witty, cinematic "Iron Man 3", I was even more excited for "Man of Steel" that was the most awaited summer blockbuster in 2013. Unfortunately, the movie leaves too much to be desired. Superman is one of the most iconic super heroes in the America history but the director Zack Snyder transforms him into a violent, self pretentious **** I'll explain.

Back in 1978, Superman was

Back in 1978, Superman was an intelligent and sympathetic gentleman who was willing to make sacrifices for other people. The first movie was a masterpiece and it still remains a classic, the second was not as good as the first film but still pretty cool, the third was partly boring and unfunny and the the final movie in the franchise reached its peak, providing obviously poor special effects, meaningless plot and dull action. While "Man of Steel" is not as bad as "Superman IV", it still have tons of disadvantages.

Am I the only one who feels that Snyder rips off too many things from other films and games and puts in his movie? Assassins Creed, Star Wars, The Avengers, Inception's theme, Taken, Avatar? Why couldn't he be original? Just saying...

The story (which was told several times) is back again but in a way more modernized and realistic. Who needs realism in a movie where you can see men flying around and destroying countless of buildings? That worked perfectly in Nolan's Batman trilogy because the characters didn't have super powers or superhuman strength. They just resorted to advanced technology. Of course, the cast is there to support the film (Michael Shannon outstands as General Zod) and the chilling music also helps it, yet, all the plot holes and lack of character development prevent the story from scaling the heights.

The dialogue is horrendous. Numbers of times that Jonathan had to say something stupid and uninspiring to Clark like "You're not from this world Clark; When the world finds out what you can do, is gonna change everything;You are my son. But somewhere out there you have another name. And he sent you here for a reason, Clark. And even if it takes you the rest of your life you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is.; You are the answer to 'Are we alone in the universe?'; And I don't blame you, son. It'd be a huge burden for anyone to bear; but you're not just anyone, Clark, and I have to believe that you were... that you were sent here for a reason. All these changes that you're going through, one day... one day you're gonna think of them as a blessing; and when that day comes, you're gonna have to make a choice... a choice of whether to stand proud in front of the human race or not." You see what I'm trying to say? As much poetic these lines can be, they are extremely stupid.

To summarize: Man of Steel provides shinning performances but they aren't enough to make this flick entertaining, due to its overlong
  88. Aug 4, 2014
    This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
  89. Aug 1, 2014
    I don't think a superhero movie has divided opinion as much as Man Of Steel. I loved it. As a superman fan I was really happy with it. I have seen it about 5 times. I really like DC's approach to superhero movies a darker, more realistic grounded tone. While there were faults
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at the end seemed a little much and by the time Zod and Clark faced off you felt a little exhausted of the amount of destruction.

But the good points

Henry Cavill was Brilliant
    Zod and Faora were great villians
    Kryptionians felt powerful
    Fight scenes were great if not a little too long
    Liked the flashbacks to Clark's childhood
    Felt like a realistic reaction to alien life

The film left me wanting more and i can't wait to see what they do with batman vs superman in 2016
  90. Jul 28, 2014
    This movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where heThis movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where he made you hate his character Expand
  91. Jul 23, 2014
    Man of Steel is essentially the post origin story of Super Man, his origin is also included but this film primarily focuses on whether or not he should announce himself to the human race or live his life in secrecy. As the movie progresses it eventually evolves into the story of how Super Man is on a quest to save earth's genocide from the classic superman villain General Zod.

Henry

Henry Cavill plays the role of Clark Kent/Kal-El, or in other words Super Man. His performance doesn't stand out but it is worthy in its own right. Amy Addams also stars as the infamous reporter Louis Lane. Adams performance was better than mediocre but it certainly does not exemplify her true talent.

Zach Snyder (300) directed Man of Steel, which is a decision I highly disagree with. If DC wanted to make Man of Steal into the movie the Dark Knight was or even what the first trailer promised, Warner Brothers would need a new director. Zach Snyder brings his signature style with him but it translates very poorly to Super Man universe. His over stylized action sequences accompanied by the lackluster script reveal a major feeling of mediocrity.

I am going to divide this film in half, the first half exemplified everything I wanted in a Super Man movie; it was gritty, Super Man felt vulnerable (as much as a character such as him can), and everything was down to earth. The second half completely through out what the first had accomplished and put two immortal beings fighting each other for the better part of an hour. It was explosion after explosion that soon wore me out and lost the bulk of my attention.

The overwhelming feeling I got when I came out of the theater was how it completely wasted its potential. The first half set the premise in such a high fashion for it to only be ruined in the second and third act. The whole film just came off as disappointing which is a huge shame because it could have been so much more.
  92. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט הסופרמן הכי טוב עד עכשיו, מבוים בצורה גאונית על ידי זאק סניידר, לא להחמיץ ללא ספק אחד מסרטי גיבורי העל הכי טובים עד היום. פתיחה נהדרת לדיסי יוניברס,
  93. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  94. Jun 23, 2014
    I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movieI couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
  95. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have watched all the 5 previous Superman films. Superman II was the best, followed by I, III, Returns and IV.
    Review: This is unfortunately another failure at rebooting the franchise as had happened with Superman Returns. The problem with this film, as with Returns is that it is simply DULL. OMG! Things move so slowly! There is poor chemistry between Superman and Lois and the action scenes were overdone till they were boring.
  96. Jun 12, 2014
    the movie is great , before the release of the movie i was not very much interested because i did not like superman returns but it was way better than that it has jaw dropping visuals why the hell the critics gave the movie a very low score but this movie movie deserved a very high score i would give the movie 8 but because is was underrated i give the movie a 10
  97. Jun 11, 2014
    One of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship betweenOne of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship between Clark and Louis needs work because to be honest you won't care about it. Overall it has good acting, story,plot, and GCI. Its worth the buy. Expand
  98. Jun 2, 2014
    Movie even worse second time, you start ti wonder why do they do this? CGI nightmare, stolen scenes from other movies. Like 4th of July, Doc Oct, Loki mop scene fro. avengers, big robot looking villain walking down small town scene.

The acting was terrible, I think one of the worse lois lane characters ever, Perry White awful and bad scenes. Same story written again about supermans beginning boring.

Everyone knows who superman is the cops even went by his house. The fact that he didn't save his father was crazy period.

CGi awful, a lot of destruction, even the Characters in front if the CGI background looked more like a game then a movie. Just nit good. Not sure why it gets some good reviews at all?

The story was bad, from the beginning. Typical Hollywood goons can't make a DC franchise good. Enough of the origins of superman already.
  99. May 25, 2014
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders"

Zack Snyder brings us the movie that we have been waiting for Man of steel is story about a young boy that discovers he has super power and is not from earth. This is the most fun iv'e had at the movies this year so far sorry Star Trek. Despite what the critics say about this movie I loved it. I just got out of the theater less then 20 minutes ago and let me say this is the best superman yet. I am a fan of Donners Superman movies 1&2 and I felt this just took it to the next level. This is the superman movie we have been waiting for i know everyone has their own opinion but seriously this the best one yet so glad that they nailed this movies because if they didn't i don't know how long it was going to be before they even tried to reboot the franchise.

I was a little worried about the early reviews for this movie. I as sat through the movie I was waiting for the plot to go dull or the acting to become robotic or for the dialogue to die out but that moment never came. The action was never over the top and i didn't think that it was too heavy i'm not sure how the critics thought that this movie was just turned blockbuster blunder. The story was told perfect this is all you can think while watching it is " I have so many questions" and in way or from throughout the movie it get's told buy. The story was fluid and thought that the flash back never felt lost me nor ever did i feel confused as some of the critics have said about it. I also like how they triggered the flash backs they didn't just throw then in there like some movies have done.

Lets get onto the action, oh man was the action so awesome there was so much destruction. Iv'e read the comics and Iv'e seen the animated movies and that is in those but this was just insane. For me this is the best comic book movie action yes the avengers had it's grand scale but this was another level so many great moments buildings falling all over the place, ships being blown out of the sky seeing krypton being blown up. At no point when i was watching it was i like ok let's tone back some of the action and get back into some story but no i that felt like it was too much that's just me though.

I have been waiting for this movie since 08 and having to wait those five years to finally see it im so glad that it's everything I thought it would be. An amazing action film with hart and soul another thing that the critics thought that this movie didn't have. The cast overall did great and I can't complain about anyone. Henry Cavill (Clark Kent / Kal-El) was perfect he killed it as Kal-El he looks the role, he's likable, he is relatable as a person you can still tell he has moral fiber he wants to be good person and he acts like it he is what i wanted superman to be. Amy Adams did a great Lois Lane, Kevin Costner did an amazing Jonathan Kent really glad they did great with character a lot of the heart felt moments were with him. Michael Shannon as General Zod was great though I was hoping for him to steal the show and take control of his role making it seem like he was the only one that could have done Zod. He doesn't do that but that doesn't take away from him big a super kickass villain.

The visuals in this movie were amazing and it only dawned on me who was behind the special effects till the end of the movie of course it's Weta Digital. They have been seriously stepping up with each movie they been a part of the last couple years. Every time i watch a movie with amazing special effects i look to see who did it and most the time it's them. They have done the special effects for every comic book since X-Men: First Class and i don't need to tell you how great that movie looked not to mention they do all the Peter Jackson films so that's petty much tells how great these guys are. I guess i should mention that they also did James Cameron's Avatar.

I know some people don't like Zack Snyder's but i like the guy his movies are great all but one that is. I also know that some people don't like Watchmen but for me that was one of the best comic book movies iv'e watched and now this one is maybe even going to beat watchmen for my most liked film by him. And really I know some people were maybe expecting a little more Christopher Nolan feel to it but no this is a Zack Snyder film for sure. Some of the shots that are in this movies are just really get the close up of the pencils, the close up on the butterfly on the swing those are some great shots especially the butterfly one that one was beautiful. Also another amazing thing about this film was the score it was breathtaking really some of Hans Zimmer's best work at least for me. I actually pre ordered the deluxe edition online i'm so glad I did that also thought it was better then any of the Dark Knight Trilogy scores.

8.0
  100. May 12, 2014
    When I heard of Man of Steel, I got really excited. It was directed by the guy who did the new Batman series. It was to have great special effects and best of all, no kryptonite! To me, this was going to make the worlds most powerful superhero get a movie he finally deserves.

The movie began like how I thought it would. Very well. It was setting up a great movie. However, after that whole moment, and we begin to follow Superman on his quest, it all goes downhill.

The movie will leave you emotionless, unattached, and possibly bored. The movie clearly focused more on it's amazing special effects and top-notch graphic artists then it's plot and character development. Throughout the movie, I wanted to feel attached towards one character, but it never happened. The movie is incredibly fast paced, and gives you no time to breathe. The entire movie is just a long blur of violence and mass destruction. For those who just like to see whole cities destroyed, extended battle sequences, this is the movie for you. And you know what, it was cool. However, it was to much of a good thing. It was like the producer/director/who ever made the movie just began to play around with affects and decided that is was going to carry the whole movie.

It was unbelievable, the amount of destruction. The one thing you could connect with was the cringes the government felt with all the money they will have to pay to repair the city. The plot was predictable, and felt forced.

Also, the movie includes a romance which makes no sense at all, perfect hair even when being thrown through cities and mountains, and... more cities and mountains being destroyed.... and more death... and a lot of destruction... and crying... and screaming... and special effects... and more buildings and cities being destroyed...

For those who love action movies, special effects, and Superman, you should watch this. For those who want a more realistic superhero movie, relate-able characters and plots, great acting and movie that will leave you WITH emotion AND still with some great action and destruction? Watch the Dark Knight series.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.