6.2

1. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was a brilliant directorial debut from Keanu. It's very well put together, with tons of brutal action, a banging soundtrack, a great concept for the story and just all round entertainment. Keanu seems to capture the spirit of the classic martial arts flick perfectly, demonstrated not only by the directing style but in his role as the archetypal lead henchman. His performance borders on Grindhouse and makes me think he'd be perfect for that genre too. I don't know how the guy looks so young as well. He's either been cloned at some point or as had a facelift. A great martial arts flick and one I'll definitely be watching again. Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    It may not be groundbreaking, but Man of Tai Chi represents an agreeably old-fashioned picture for martial arts fans and a solid debut for first-time director Keanu Reeves. The music is sizzling and Tiger Chen doesn't need wires, it's spectacular. Man Of Tai Chi is one of the best martial arts films after Gareth Evans's The Raid.
  3. Nov 9, 2013
    The film is very good but I wanted it to be great. The martial arts in this film are amazing and shot quite well not from up close (Hollywood trick that I hate to make seem action seem more intense) but from a wider angle to show case the amazing choreography. The action doesn't need help to be intense and starts early and is frequent and varied until just after halfway where the movie goes a touch too slow through the dramatic story line before an ending that was almost great. Keanu is great as a director and for first-time out has made a very watchable film with incredible action sequences while showcasing us the incredible artist Tiger Hu Chen whose skills I look forward to seeing more of.
    If you enjoy this genre don't miss this film.

It’s the kind of solid, small-scale, entertaining action flick we probably need more of these days.
  2. Reviewed by: Sheila O'Malley
    Nov 1, 2013
    Man of Tai Chi is hugely entertaining.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Nov 1, 2013
    Basically the anti-"Kill Bill." Both movies are quilted together from their auteurs' favorite Asian action flicks, but where Tarantino's was overheated, Reeves' is elegantly iced.