Man on the Moon

7.2

1. Jan 26, 2015
    I enter the film while being literally oblivious of who is Andy Kaufman, as far as I know, the film is mostly famed because it hitherto has been Jim Carrey’s most Oscar-worthy performance, yet being blatantly snubbed again after his drama venture in Peter Weir’s THE TRUMAN SHOW (1998, 8/10).

So in my case, the film is a dedicative portrait of an eccentric entertainer whose ideology of performance is all about entertaining himself and treat his audience as a receptacle of his sensational idiosyncrasy and excruciatingly manipulative fabrications disguised as parody or mockery. Yet, during his short life-span (Andy passed away in 1984 at the age of 35), this methodology makes him a unique figure in the canvas of American comedians (although he would never condescend himself as a “comedian”).

keep reading my review on my blog, google: cinema omnivore, thanks
  2. May 27, 2014
    While as a whole, Miloš Forman created an almost mawkish depiction of the enigmatic Andy Kaufman, with all the cliché's of a biographical film. Jim Carreys almost uncannily identical portrayal of Kaufman, is not even an adaptation of the person, but a translation, something that' s seldom seen from palatable or even capable biographicals. It is his magnum opus, and the Academy Awards IWhile as a whole, Miloš Forman created an almost mawkish depiction of the enigmatic Andy Kaufman, with all the cliché's of a biographical film. Jim Carreys almost uncannily identical portrayal of Kaufman, is not even an adaptation of the person, but a translation, something that' s seldom seen from palatable or even capable biographicals. It is his magnum opus, and the Academy Awards I think failed to recognize his comedic talent. Though the Golden Globes didn't, as they are more fair. Expand
  3. Dec 16, 2013
    Ok movie right here. Jim Carrey kills it, however, the rest of movie feels as though it's missing something, like something feels a little off (which I guess is appropriate).
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    I had no interest or connection with Andy Kaufman besides liking R.E.M and pro wrestling, but Man on the Moon proved an entertaining and enlightening biopic. The movie is well made and has a truly excellent central performance by Jim Carrey. It doesn't really inspire me to check out Kaufman's body of work but it was definitely worth watching.
  5. Jan 18, 2011
    watching it you deeply desire to know more about the person the movie is about. Man on the Moon did this for me. It gave me a deep desire to learn more about Andy Kaufman and a want to have witnessed the man before his demise (or is he still around somewhere still pulling pranks? ;) Whatever the reality is Carrey gave a performance of the life time, I can't say he portrayed Kaufmanwatching it you deeply desire to know more about the person the movie is about. Man on the Moon did this for me. It gave me a deep desire to learn more about Andy Kaufman and a want to have witnessed the man before his demise (or is he still around somewhere still pulling pranks? ;) Whatever the reality is Carrey gave a performance of the life time, I can't say he portrayed Kaufman perfectly as I never really witnessed anything Andy had ever done, but if he was as Jim Carrey portrayed him than I am sure he was brilliant. Bravo to Jim and bravo Man on the Moon a movie for anyone who appreciates good drama, comedy, and a person who was so revolutionary in both that he was never was appreciated for what he did but now we can appreciate it. Collapse
  6. MaximI.
    Aug 8, 2008
    I'me not a touchy guy, we Russians have lived thru so much thru our history that crying is the last thing we do. But after this movie, i cried. I remember when i first saw it, i was 14. Jim is a genious. He's an amazing comedy player, the greatest the American continent ever new. And as we have seen, he's an amazing drama player. When he combines it, it's cruel. People I'me not a touchy guy, we Russians have lived thru so much thru our history that crying is the last thing we do. But after this movie, i cried. I remember when i first saw it, i was 14. Jim is a genious. He's an amazing comedy player, the greatest the American continent ever new. And as we have seen, he's an amazing drama player. When he combines it, it's cruel. People cant take it. Nothing makes you want to cry more then laugh thru tears, and shurely in the true way he does it. If you want robots with iron heads (empty inside, like those who watch it), dont visit this. Really. The sad end, the amaizing person he played, how cruel a world can be to a man. Great movie. Expand
  7. Mithras
    Feb 16, 2008
    A hilarious movie, regardless of its capture of Kaufman's life. I have never even heard of Kaufman before this film, and while accuracy to historical events / people in any film does add a lot to someone who knows the history, or someone seeking a resource from which to learn about the history, I personally do not believe accuracy should factor in one's opinion of a movie; this A hilarious movie, regardless of its capture of Kaufman's life. I have never even heard of Kaufman before this film, and while accuracy to historical events / people in any film does add a lot to someone who knows the history, or someone seeking a resource from which to learn about the history, I personally do not believe accuracy should factor in one's opinion of a movie; this is of course to the extent that it does not disgust through blaspheming the character to the point that it could be seen as bad taste. So from a completely separate from previous experience viewpoint, this movie was hilarious and enjoyable through and through. Expand
  8. ErickC
    Oct 5, 2005
    Hats off to jim carrey he really is andy in this movie amazing, breathtaking! a must see!
  9. KatieB.
    Dec 10, 2004
    Amazing! Incredible! Fantastic! Wonderful! Perfect! Absolutely lovely! Go see this film!!
  10. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    I disagree with Hoberman's review. This movie did a fine job attempting to recreate Kaufman's inner life, but I suspect he didn't have one, at least not that I'd find interesting. That's the trouble with most stand-up comedians - they're only interesting when they're working.
  11. YoonC.
    Sep 22, 2003
    A faithful tribute to the 'genius' of Andy Kaufman the movie lacks the edginess of Kaufman's humor. It's too gushing an homage to resurrect the spontaneous lunacy of Kaufman. Carrey does a creditable job of impersonation but what's the point of one successful comedian slavishly aping another?
  12. Romanski
    Sep 7, 2003
    WHAT A WONDERFUL FILM!
  13. TomL.
    Mar 27, 2003
    This movie is past the level of genius.You forget totally that is jim carrey and not andy. To me this was an absolute piece of art. Kudos to Milos forman who knows and appreciates perfomance movies and not the same old same old formulaic comedies. All and all it was robbed of an academy award but jim won a well deserved golden globe!
  14. AdamE.
    Nov 20, 2002
    In this film, Jim Carrey tries something different and the result is very pleasing. A well directed and touching film with a great soundtrack.
  15. Gilbert
    Nov 17, 2002
    Those who say it doesn't get into Andy's head: what the hell do you think was in his head? Don't know? Join the club. The real Zmuda was there, the real George Shapiro, they didn't know. He was Andy Kaufman. No-one knows what was in his head. A great biopic.
  16. JorisDeS.
    Apr 18, 2002
    I love the story, I love then; both Andy and Jim. And he shows that he can really act a dramatic role.
  17. JesseS.
    Oct 3, 2001
    Jim Carrey gives one of the best performances ever!

Unsuccessfully attempts to fathom Kaufman's lunatic sensibilities, supplying scant psychological insight into what made the outrageous comic tick.
    You won't forget the way Carrey transcends mere impersonation to find the roots of Andy's torment.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    I bet that what Carrey saw from inside Kaufman's head would be more illuminating than anything in the movie.