Roadside Attractions | Release Date: October 21, 2011
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 139 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RenovatiaOct 12, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just weird. The actors are great but the storyline and the content is very thin. An employee finds out the bank is leaking money for the past couple of weeks. After some analysis they figure out the bank is going bust. Everything else is stereotyping. That's all the movie is about. Stereo typing. This is how the movie goes:

*** Opening ***

Emotionless Assistant Human Resource Manager (Ashley Williams as Heather Burke) orders senior employee to go with her for a talk; Stanley Tucci (as Eric Dale) is being fired in a cold manner by Senior Human Resource Manager Susan Blackwell (as Lauren Bratberg). During the conversation Eric Dale's computer and mobile phone is shut down. A guard to escort the employee out is standing by already. Those cold hearted mean hedge fund corporations! Grrr!!! I think the message was clear.

*** The Shocking Discovery ***

Protegé of now fired Eric Dale researches the contents from a USB stick which he was given by said fired employee. Protegé finds out the investment bank is going down.

*** Personalities ***

Enter two more young conscientious employees. Now we have a staff of 3 young employees without a soul because the movie didn't give them any. But to indicate that Protegé is smart we're told he is a rocket scientist, but decided to work for this company because it pays better. So now we've established the discovery is made by a rocket scientist, therefore whatever he says must be true.

Enter Kevin Spacey. He has feelings. It has been established because he kinda tries to cry because his dog is dying. So we know Kevin is not a cold-hearted banker (LOL). Some character building here. (Offcourse, we can't have the great mr. Spacey crying in a movie. Are you kidding?)

Enter Paul Bettany. His character, Will Emerson, is... well he was in the movie as well.

Enter Simon Baker (as Jared Cohen). He's the link (a managing director) between Kevin Spacey and the Grand Admiral of the company. Was given a little bit personality in the movie. So he can push Kevin to do the 'right' thing to cover things up and sell as much of the assets before the company goes bust. Without mentioning that these assets are soon to be worth 0 Dollars.

Enter Demi Moore (as Sarah Robertson). She's paid to handle Risk Assessment, but she failed. So she tries to defend herself with a few sentences. During the rest of the movie she was just an object occupying space on the screen. Also, she spoke her lines at a weird, inappropriate moment. The script went horribly wrong here. I felt sorry for her.

Enter Jeremy Irons (as John Tuld). He da big man. #1. Grand Admiral. He's cool. That's his role. He realizes the world will be soon plunged in a world of hurt. But he's cool. The mastermind. That's all what he was. Being cool at a big conference table. And being cool at a lunch table.

*** Final Scene ***

Kevin Spacey, the one with the feelings, is digging a hole to bury his dog in. I suppose it symbolizes Lehman Brothers digging a hole to hide secrets in. Also, Kevin caved in and decided to play along and be immoral for as long as it takes. His team will sell worthless products. Kevin motivated his team to do so. Kevin needs the money. That's why he caved in.

To conclude. I give this movie three stars. The movie has no added value. Intellectually it has nothing to offer to anyone. Nor did the movie provide insights into anything. Don't expect to learn anything in this movie. Nor does the movie represent factual events. The three stars are for the actors because they did a decent job - though they weren't tested. Camera work and whatnot is fine. But this is where the good things end. Go see some documentaries about Lehman Brothers. For example "Inside Job" is good. Or roam YouTube about why the government didn't bailout Lehman Brothers, and feel the tension prior to that decision. So much better than this movie.

There's no reason for this movie to exist.
choomtabi31May 18, 2016
Good movie, good actors, interesting dynamics, well worth the watch. Surprisingly well-done.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2728419-Margin-Call
geo333Apr 23, 2016
Great performances from all the cast as, however the film at times feels slow part of that is because they are too many characters too focus on, aside from that the story is good if you like business movies, In the end, its a good movie.
RobertBroganOct 3, 2015
I rate Margin Call up on account of the acting overall and as a Kevin Spacey fan (otherwise it would be a three). The shooting is fine, with some nicely framed shots. The story is OK but was a bit disappointing in terms of tension. SomeI rate Margin Call up on account of the acting overall and as a Kevin Spacey fan (otherwise it would be a three). The shooting is fine, with some nicely framed shots. The story is OK but was a bit disappointing in terms of tension. Some scenes could have been left out in favor of flashbacks which reveal what the characters were doing in the weeks and months prior to the meltdown: who knew, what they knew, how they contributed, etc. But despite the story not being what it could have been, Margin Call is still an enjoyable film. Expand
MattBrady99Jun 13, 2015
This is one of those movies where everyone calls flawless but I think it's well done on a acting and directing point of view, but I do think it's a bit overrated in my opinion.

The story to Margin Call takes place in 2008 as a tense action

The story to Margin Call takes place in 2008 as a tense action as we follow one 24-hour period at an investment bank just before the financial crisis hits.

Margin Call is a movie that I thought was alright. I do think the movie is well acted and nicely written, but to me the movie is a slow burn and I just don't think it's brilliant as people thought it was. It's not a bad film but I don't think it's a great film, just alright in my opinion.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
J.C. Chandor's debut is both challenging and a gripping look at corporate America during the early days of the recession of 2008. One bold look at corruption.
Compi24Jul 17, 2014
Similar to another quiet, but fiery financial thriller ("Arbitrage"), "Margin Call" is a gripping, unflinchingly gray and well-written piece that simplifies a complex topic into something everyone can understand.
duanewilliamsMay 19, 2014
This film is boring from beginning to end. It's not even a particularly good depiction of the greed behind the mortgage crisis. The harm done to ordinary folks is totally absent.
SpangleJan 31, 2014
A great cast and really solid direction, help this film about the financial crisis take off. As much as the film, at times, attempted to try and put the issues into simple terms, however, it still seemed confusing at times and unless you haveA great cast and really solid direction, help this film about the financial crisis take off. As much as the film, at times, attempted to try and put the issues into simple terms, however, it still seemed confusing at times and unless you have some knowledge of the field, you'll be left sitting there confused. Luckily, I understood some of what they were talking about, but certainly not all of it and that hampered the enjoyablility for me. Otherwise, the characterization of the many characters was done really well and the acting, across the board, was really good. Overall, a solid film. Expand
A_NorthernerMar 28, 2013
First time director and writer J.C. Chandor delivers a gripping, tense film with Academy nominated screenplay, told largely over the hours of a single New York night.

The majority of the 'action' takes place in dimly lit offices, often lit

The majority of the 'action' takes place in dimly lit offices, often lit solely by the banks of computer monitors flashing with the doomed data, with the neon skyline of New York as a backdrop through the office windows. It's a setting that reflects the severity of the situation, once aware of the issue no-one ever suggests calling it a night. The sense of importance is also highlighted by the manner in which the disaster-in-the-making is passed up through the chain, with each manager, head of department, or senior executive, only able to pass it on until the CEO choppers in at 3 AM to rule on the matter.

Justifiably, the banking industry has been criticised and penalised for the greed that led to the 2008 crisis but interestingly, despite the firm making a decision that will ultimately lead to the crisis, Chandor gives a voice to the industry to justify their greed and existence. Will Emerson (Bettany) argues that the bankers greed is only able to exist due to the demands of 'real people' to own things they cannot afford, while CEO Tuld (Irons) is considerably more blasé, stating that the downturn is simply part of the economic cycle and even that there will simply be more starving dogs than fat cats for a while. The narrative is balanced however, with Sam Rogers (Spacey) and several others voicing their discontent at the irresponsibility about to be shown by Tuld and Cohen (Baker), while scapegoat Sarah Robertson (Moore) goes down declaring that her warnings were not listened to.

A great cast, an interesting subject and great film making, Margin Call is a must for those wanting a film to test the old grey matter.
Andys_ReviewsMar 3, 2013
On the face of it, this film does not appear to be the kind of thing to inspire an audience. I’m here to tell you that is far from the truth; I found it very compelling and a great eye-opener to the mechanics of the financial crash. GreatOn the face of it, this film does not appear to be the kind of thing to inspire an audience. I’m here to tell you that is far from the truth; I found it very compelling and a great eye-opener to the mechanics of the financial crash. Great performances all round with top honours going to Jeremy Irons and Kevin Spacey; both really excelled in this one. I think it’s a film I’d like to see again because the details of the reasons behind it all are quite complex and I’d like to get a better handle on that. It does lose a little momentum in the final quarter but it’s certainly worth investing the time to watch.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.1/10
Erik_ImsenFeb 4, 2013
Margin Call is a Masterpiece. Firstly because it is by far the most realistic film ever made about business in general and finance especially, even topping now number two Oliver Stone's Wall Street. Secondly, the cast is impeccable. Irons,Margin Call is a Masterpiece. Firstly because it is by far the most realistic film ever made about business in general and finance especially, even topping now number two Oliver Stone's Wall Street. Secondly, the cast is impeccable. Irons, Baker, Moore, Spacey, Bettany, Tucci and Quinto are at their finest hour. And thirdly, from the very first minute until the end, Chandor creates this heavy, dark and oppressing atmosphere that puts you emotionally and nervously on the trading seat. Expand
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
Brilliant film! Great cast. Fantastic screenplay. While I'm not an expert in business/economics, the dialogue in this film was engrossing and powerful. One of my favorites of 2011 and one of the best as well! I plan to watch this again soon.
sLmOct 21, 2012
Story was okay, and so were the actors. But the feeling as a whole was boredom, and at the end we couldn't even see the consequences of the crisis, just the man burying a dog. Pssh.
davidjdenOct 2, 2012
Almost perfect. The film's contemporaneous relevance might be compared to certain stage plays in Shakespeare's time. The acting here is intoxicating in its honesty; the story-telling is exquisitely humble. To appreciate this movie solely as aAlmost perfect. The film's contemporaneous relevance might be compared to certain stage plays in Shakespeare's time. The acting here is intoxicating in its honesty; the story-telling is exquisitely humble. To appreciate this movie solely as a "cautionary tale" is to overlook the true value proposition. Expand
ToomsAug 28, 2012
Having worked in investment banking, I found this movie very interesting. Although there is a clear bias against the trader, many of the perceptions and ethical values conveyed are somewhat accurate based on my experience. It provides goodHaving worked in investment banking, I found this movie very interesting. Although there is a clear bias against the trader, many of the perceptions and ethical values conveyed are somewhat accurate based on my experience. It provides good information how the system works, and how it was destroyed. Additionally, it was well acted, and has a very unique and attention-holding plot. I definitely recommend it! Expand
JTKelleyAug 10, 2012
The characters make the film here, as they're well drawn, yet difficult to sympathize with as this reveals the darker side of the decisions that sparked the 2008 financial crisis.
asthobaskoroApr 1, 2012
Margin Call is more like Shark thriller than financial meltdown movie. What'd you expect from movie about people who 'trapped' all night fighting the beginning of crisis? Powerful script, act and direction.
nutterjrMar 16, 2012
An engrossing drama about the shrewdness of the financial industry with a wonderful cast that delivers great perfomances (OK there is Demi Moore in it as well, but she has a small part) with Jeremy Irons standing out.
wishmasterMar 11, 2012
Not a bad movie, but the movie just was not attractive to me, bored me, the only thing salvageable was the decent performances, mainly the short appearance of Stanley Tucci.
cabritaJan 28, 2012
This film is so painfully dull. It does not fail because it's story but instead because of it's horrible choice of style and terribly slow moving plot. The film attempts to build tension throughout the film to lead up to it's climax. HoweverThis film is so painfully dull. It does not fail because it's story but instead because of it's horrible choice of style and terribly slow moving plot. The film attempts to build tension throughout the film to lead up to it's climax. However the climax is well done but the viewer feels nothing because at that point of the film they don't care what happens. The film try's to go into what's right and wrong among many other themes but ultimately all of them go nowhere with the last scene of the film being spacey burrying his dead dog. I either could not figure out the significance in this scene or like most bad movies there was no significance. Definitely the most overated film I have ever seen. Expand
AkkharJan 25, 2012
Just an awesome movie about how **** up this world is now. The whole film was so amazing.Awesome acting . The whole cast was great. great screenplay and Directing by J.C. Chandor. Margin Call is a different kind of thriller which is amazingJust an awesome movie about how **** up this world is now. The whole film was so amazing.Awesome acting . The whole cast was great. great screenplay and Directing by J.C. Chandor. Margin Call is a different kind of thriller which is amazing coz its damn realistic .One of 2011's best movie with perfect screenplay , Great Cast and acting and good direction. Dialogues were so smart and yeah this world is **** up,Money +Human=Worst then Animals . J.C. Chandor's first feature film Margin Call will definitely take him higher. Expand
RobinsNestJan 13, 2012
How can a film be labeled a thriller and suspenseful when I know what happens? And how can any reviewer say that their review contains spoilers? I know what happened. This is just a made up story of what Mr Gecko said "... is good". I knewHow can a film be labeled a thriller and suspenseful when I know what happens? And how can any reviewer say that their review contains spoilers? I know what happened. This is just a made up story of what Mr Gecko said "... is good". I knew they all did the wrong thing, thought only of themselves ,and took the money. Not one person cared. If this fictional account of what may have happened prior to the biggest hit to our economy in my 63 years didn't happen, the film would not have been made. There is no one to root for. Mr Irons says it's a great story. Maybe if it weren't true ( the outcome). Why would anyone praise a fictional film about soulless, inconsiderate, selfish people? And none of these people paid in any way, they made a bunch of money and not only has no one gone to jail, many got hired by our government. They deliberately sold worthless paper (isn't all paper really worthless) and didn't inform their customers. Lying, no? All the people that lost their jobs, their homes, their savings hopefully will not see this and no one involved in it will make much money. The reviewers, the actors, well, the people who don't worry about paying a mortgage, eating, etc. probably find it amusing as once again they are sticking it to the rest of us. I am prepared to suspend belief and even a film with no redeeming value of any kind can still be a well made film with believable characters, except, when the disastrous outcome is true. This film does not enlighten (what is a margin call? does it have anything to do with what happened? with the film?) nor entertain. If you are unlucky enough to see it, hopefully you will come away angry. But to paraphrase some dialogue from the film, "nothing is going to change. there will always be the haves and have nots. F*** 'em." Expand
ClariseSamuelsJan 4, 2012
This was very close to being the perfect movie. It was a great story, it was based on the reality of the world around us, the dialog was authentic, and the actors were brilliant. What more can the critics ask for? It just shows how powerfulThis was very close to being the perfect movie. It was a great story, it was based on the reality of the world around us, the dialog was authentic, and the actors were brilliant. What more can the critics ask for? It just shows how powerful film can really be--without violence, without special effects, and without sex. Of course, the f-word was a special guest star, but unfortunately that is how the prostitute-addicted, drinking, lying robots on Wall Street really talk. The plot centers on a company that is basically a nonentity--there is no real product, no real service to humanity. These companies are merely parasites on our society whose function is to move money around, while their people get paid astronomical salaries for being a lot like Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz--they prance around singing, "if I only had a brainâ Expand
radumilanJan 3, 2012
This is a good movie. Great actor selection, Kevin Spacey and Jeremy Irons really making the difference. Comedy, drama and action in one place. It is a must-see.
AjedrecistaDec 22, 2011
As entertainment this movie is probably a 6 or 6.5. However as historical fiction, which the film purports to be, it is an inexcusable dis-education of the public as to what happened in late 2008. It actually takes quite a bit of financialAs entertainment this movie is probably a 6 or 6.5. However as historical fiction, which the film purports to be, it is an inexcusable dis-education of the public as to what happened in late 2008. It actually takes quite a bit of financial education to understand what happened. My suggestion to those who are interested would be to learn about leverage, the modern banking system, CODs and MBSs. Then read Ron Suskind's excellent book "Confidence Men." Expand
lahaineDec 12, 2011
This is an exceptional piece of independent cinema. Margin Call tackles the '08 financial crisis in the shrewdest, most charismatic way possible; with its brisk story telling, cool character development and a satisfying close. Chandor'sThis is an exceptional piece of independent cinema. Margin Call tackles the '08 financial crisis in the shrewdest, most charismatic way possible; with its brisk story telling, cool character development and a satisfying close. Chandor's direction made this a tangible, thrilling and understandable yet complex viewing experience; clearly outlining the root of the disaster and its unfortunate consequences. Its also important to mention the ensemble cast, who all gave powerhouse performances in this small movie. Very well done. Expand
JockodebockooDec 11, 2011
I had high expectations for this movie. It was really disappointed. The plot was thin - no character development to speak of. And they way the story came together was absurd. I was hoping for a thriller - this was a joke.
allisonstarrNov 15, 2011
Very, very, very far from being a thriller of any kind. It's more like you're in the room with them. And for me, not knowing anything about anything to do with Wall Street, I got to have everything explained to me more than once, so even IVery, very, very far from being a thriller of any kind. It's more like you're in the room with them. And for me, not knowing anything about anything to do with Wall Street, I got to have everything explained to me more than once, so even I felt like I knew what was going on. I mostly appreciated the atmosphere of the movie. The cinematography wasn't particularly flattering for anyone. I don't know how else to put it except that it felt like following a bunch of suits around during a crisis that they're a lot more worried about than you are. Expand
MorriBeyNov 13, 2011
If you know what a Margin Call is then you will be disappointed with this movie. The movies way of explaining anything is to say 'in plain English'. Apparently no-one in the upper echelons of the firm know nothing about securities as it isIf you know what a Margin Call is then you will be disappointed with this movie. The movies way of explaining anything is to say 'in plain English'. Apparently no-one in the upper echelons of the firm know nothing about securities as it is boiled down to the lowest common denominator possible. This is no Enron- The smartest man in the room' - this is Fast and Furious. Fail. Expand
supersigyNov 5, 2011
This movie would have been a lot more potent had it come out right after the crisis. Three years later we have received so much information on the happenings in 2008 that a film that stays this close to the surface is just not going to cut it.
hoops2448Oct 26, 2011
Margin Call is this years depiction of the current economic crisis and how it might have come about. Much like 2009s Up In The Air and Januarys The Company Men its main aim is to say something about the morally corrupt world we live in andMargin Call is this years depiction of the current economic crisis and how it might have come about. Much like 2009s Up In The Air and Januarys The Company Men its main aim is to say something about the morally corrupt world we live in and how we live with the fact we know its morally corrupt.
Margin Call is about a stock market company that is downsizing and lets go a majority of its staff. However one of the people they fired (Stanley Tucci) has discovered a problem with the companys method of buying and selling. He tells one of the few people who wasn't let go and the whole firm goes into crisis management mode as they try to prepare for the next day of sales.
However unlike The Company Men (which is a fine film in terms of acting) Margin Call has an interesting story, a well structured script and it knows where it wants to end up. All its characters, be they young up and comers like Zachary Quintos Peter or middle aged cynics like Paul Bettanys Will have a tale to tell and some great material to work with. For instance Quinto has some fantastic moments especially in his initial reaction to the crisis as he struggles to come to terms with what he has been given. The acting in Margin Call is nearly flawless with the film showing what Bettany can do when he isn't fighting angels or vampires. However the standout of the film has to be Kevin Spacey whose distaste in what he has to do over the course of the evening makes for some excellent scenes. That being said Demi Moore does make the film suffer in that she doesn't put much into her performance, she tries to go for a subdued performance because it suits the under appreciated nature of her character but in all honesty she just looks bored.
The script manages to make all the major characters feel fleshed out and real despite how many there are while also telling a gripping and tense story as you really don't know who is going to make it out of the night with a job. It does seem like there is a new movie every six months about the financial crisis but regardless of the played out nature of the source material, Margin Call still manages to be fresh and entertaining. Overall Margin Call is a cautionary tale about human nature and what the rich and powerful will do to stay rich and powerful, that has beautifully acted characters, a nuanced script and a fast pace to keep you entertained. Well worth a watch.
EvanduqOct 24, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, this is not a tense Wall Street thriller. This is a tight drama about an economic titanic without the sappy love story. I am happy to have gotten to see this on VOD. I like a lot about the film. It has a great cast, the acting is professional, and the dialog and plot work like a finely tuned machine. That said, the only thing that is really off putting about this film is the average level cinematography. I don't know if it looked like this in theaters, but the aspect ratio and lighting didn't quite do justice to the epic scale of the story. This film is definitely worth seeing if you don't go into it expecting more of an thriller. There are a lot of speeches, and it comes off more as an exercise in dramatic theater rather than fully cinematic experience. However, it works. Expand
CitizenCharlieOct 23, 2011
Margin Callâ
TheoSOct 23, 2011
It's definitely the best Wall street movie I've ever seen. Very well-written: complex characters and smart lines. It makes you want to become rich by every means necessary. It's that good!