5.5

1. Mar 20, 2014
    What went wrong? Why did they choose to make a music video about Marie's dresses? This movie takes "suck" to a whole new level. It is glossed over, and doesn't even show the reality of Marie's life during that time period. It does not show how she was given very little power over her people, and how every single problem was blamed on her. In this film, she is probably blamed for ripping a dress instead. Kirsten Dunst is terrible in the role of Marie Antoinette, as she is with every role. This movie makes me want Dunst's character guillotined, but sadly, it doesn't show it happen. Avoid this Kirsten Dunst mishap like your life depends on it. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2013
    Although the real story of Marie Antoinette is fascinating, this movie does not do her, history, or cinema justice. On the plus side, the costumes were masterful.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    Love this movie, one of my favorites, love everything: Kirsten, the dresses, the acting, ESPECIALLY love Coppola for making my favorite movie. Why is that people don't like it? its perfect. Gorgeous. Delighting. I 've re watched it soooo many times
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    Everything about this movie screams a full rated revolution to a modern outlook on Marie, music, and France. The tone, the structure, and a strong lead provide an exquisite film.
  5. Sep 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is such a misconception about the so called flop of Marie Antoinette. Although the movie divided critics ,the major critic reviews were favorable if not very good or even enthusiastic.I am among the enthusiastic ones. First because I know very well the story of M.A. and how it is difficult to interpret her story without being wrong. What Coppola did was to portray a sympathetic portrait of a woman forced to be queen without any help by her mother, husband or courtesans.Coppola brilliantly succeeds to evoke the real situation of that 14 years old girl,who was all alone. Poltics is left out but we are in the world of M.A. I appreciate very much that Coppola didn't want to film the revolution period because if you want to understand the point of view of M.A. you have to forget that she was executed. Coppola is more interested to examine the woman rather than the Queen and her personal feelings towards the entire situation. Besides, we have to remember that this is a movie,not an historical account. The movie is loosely inspired by the book of Antonia Fraser. I believe that Coppola is a very outstanding director. Kirsten Dunst was simply perfect and,in my opinion,deserved more recognition than what she had. She gave a very honest and moving performance.She was fantastic as the naive,spoiled,sensitive,frivolous and unaware Queen. But this is only one of the many sides of that woman. Coppola didn't show us the other aspects of the Queen because she has other purpose that is humanizing the despised and misunderstood Queen of France. There is not her political side , her faults and her disadvantages .It's the private side that only few people knew and not her public side. The supporting cast is appropriate as well. To me the movie was very snubbed by the Academy since I believe that it should have been nominated for best director and best actress.The movie was never meant to be an in depth biography.It could not be a substitute of a book .Coppola portrayed the elements of her story that fit to her trilogy of films(Lost in translation and The virgin suicides). But I think that the main problem is that someone doesn't like Coppola style.A very underrated great director. Expand
  6. Jul 23, 2012
    Marie Antoinette is a gorgeously stunning film, less about Marie Antoinette than about a lonely girl trying to deal with situation. The costumes, cinematography and sets are all beautiful, as are the characters, with a subdued and heartfelt performance by Dunst. The plot may have some weaknesses but it's execution is superb and ultimately saddening.

1. This is one of the most immediate, personal costume dramas ever made, and so it's not unseemly to consider how the writer-director and her heroine overlap.
    A graceful, charming, and sometimes witty confection -- at least for its first hour.
    Coppola captures the luxe insularity of Marie Antoinette's world in a way that leaves no doubt why the revolution had to happen. The picture's final image is a moment of devastating stillness that wouldn't be out of place in Luchino Visconti's end-of-an-era masterpiece "The Leopard."