6.7

1. Aug 25, 2014
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars... or big homes or designer clothes A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor... clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give 'em your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel... extraordinary?"

This
    wasn't on my watch list, but for some reason I wanted to check it out. As sometimes happens, that leads a person to see one of the biggest favorites of their whole life.

Marley & Me made me feel, made me laugh, and made me cry. I can't stress the last part enough; for anyone who loves dogs - and has owned at least one in their life - I'm sure this will be a bittersweet, lovely, sad movie to watch.

A story of John (Owen Wilson) and Jenny (Jennifer Aniston) starts pretty normally. They are both in the news reporter business, Jenny a bit more famous than her husband. To halt the biological clock for a moment, John is given advice by his friend Sebastian (Eric Dane) to get her a pet.

So, along comes Marley, the worst dog in the world, who is also the most loveable creature you can imagine - if you can get over all the mayhem he causes.

The story follows this family through the journey of their life: new jobs and kids, the good times, the bad times, and eventually the evil trick the nature provides us: old age.

I am not a fan of Owen Wilson or Jennifer Aniston, but they do a remarkably good job here. The other actor performances are top notch as well.

The camera work, the scenery, the music - it all fits in all the right places. The story keeps going, always evolving like the life has a tendency to do if you let it, and in the end there is such a beautiful, simple story to be shared of love between man and the man's best friend, Marley.

Definitely watch this, and if you love your dog, keep tissues within reach!
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    "Marley & Me" is remarkable for its genre. Rather than a typical uninspired and humorous family flick, it features some really emotional scenes and solid performances by Wilson and Aniston. Don't expect anything new or exceptional, "Marley & Me" offers more than the average dramedy, though.
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    Marley & Me is just average.
    A good effort by the director and the screenplay writers who adapted this book into a full movie. The actors don't give spectacular performances, Owen Wilson feels like he's forcing his role at times. Not many laughs, a sad overall message. Nothing amazing just an average movie.
  4. Mar 25, 2013
    This means something I didnt even give my favorite movie a 10, first time. This is a lighthearted comedy/drama. Makes me cry every time at the end and Im 16. To me its more of a drama then comedy but either way very good movie. Great acting (humans and dog), great chemistry (mainly family-dog. then Family-family.) I brought the DVD in 2009 and I lost it in 2010. Im still desperatly looking for this. Probably the best film ever literally. Better then my fav movie not more entertaining but still better. Watch with family, alone, anytime, anywhere Its that good. But if your kids dont like sad endings cut it when the dog starts to act lazy. If they can handle it watch sad still very good though. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2013
    Very funny, sad, and relate-able movie. You really do get attached to the characters. Especially Marley. As you could probably guess, the ending is very sad.
  6. Jan 12, 2013
    A movie that will make you mourn much.
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    It may only appeal to dog-lovers, but it may not. Marley & Me is incredibly and surprisingly genuine. It's also heartwarming and tragic, aspects of our life we don't always realize are present and recurring.
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    Marley & Me is a lovely, inoffensive little film. The basic premise is pretty generic: a typical romantic comedy plot about a married couple who are considering settling down and having a family, but are reluctant to sacrifice their successful careers in journalism, so instead they get a dog. That dog is an energetic golden retriever that they name Marley, who turns out to be quite a handful, and that's where the fun begins. We get great performances from Owen Wilson, and particularly Jennifer Aniston, who gives the best in her career - natural, empathetic and with real emotional depth. They make an incredibly likable couple, and their relationship develops believably as their characters approach middle age. Alan Arkin also has a brilliant comic turn as the hilariously deadpan newspaper editor who employs Wilson's John Grogan. The film's story is surprisingly involving, Marley misbehaving and causing chaos is very funny, and there are a good number of affecting emotional beats. It's all grossly sentimental of course, which will put some people off, and it's rather long and a bit slow at some points, but if you're a dog-lover, and if your heart is, well, actually a heart, then you really can't help but be moved by the final act of the film. Marley & Me doesn't break any new ground at all, but it really doesn't need to - it's warm cuddly and comforting, like your favourite canine friend, and sometimes that's all you want from a film. Expand
  9. Aug 8, 2012
    Marley & Me seems like one of those cliched dog movies where someone buys a dog and he runs away or is kidnapped and then comes back to it. No! This isn't that movie. This is a movie about a jornalist who moves to Beverly Hills with his wife and when Marley enters in his life, everything changes. For those who haven't read its source material, you'll find it unexpected. It finds the right mix between laughs and drama. It can make you laugh out loud but it can also make you cry. Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson provide chemistry enough for you to enjoy their character's story. Expand
  10. Apr 9, 2012
    A really incredible and emotive movie. I´m feeling sorprised becuase much movies about animals, have a great story, and this is an amazing example, the cast have a great performance and the most amazing is Marley, one of my favorite films ever.
  11. Oct 8, 2011
    "Marley & Me" tries extremely hard to tear up the audience with its 'Marley'. The problem is that the film consistently opens a tedious tone with absolutely nothing significant or impressive until to the end. Its just like being in school, listening a lecture from a monotonous teacher. Nothing's really great about it.
  12. Jun 16, 2011
    Such a touching story about a couple who gets a puppy, which turns out to be their worst nightmare. Despite the fact that the dog terrorizes everything in their house, the family grows a beautiful bonding with the dog. Has such a sad ending, that would lead most dog lovers into tears.
  13. Feb 21, 2011
    This isn't a very funny movie, and when it's trying to be serious it fails miserably, I was surprised when this didn't focus that much on the dog, the best part of this movie, and the only reason I would recommend this is for the emotional ending, but that isn't a reason to spend your hard earned money to go out and buy the DVD or really even a reason to rent this, it's an ok movie, but definitely not for everyone. Expand
  14. Jan 18, 2011
    Maybe I just wasn't in the mood or maybe it is because I wouldn't have put up with a dog like that to begin with, but the movie just didn't do it for me. Wilson and Aniston are great together but I just didn't care much for the movie. Perhaps on another day if I ever watch it again I will enjoy it a bit more.
  15. Jan 8, 2011
    This is not "just a dog movie"! Sure, one of the main characters is a dog, but there is so much more to it. Among other topics, this film - with its incredibly charming characters and an amazingly amusing script - is about the difficulties of having a family, and the joys of being a family. Furthermore, it suggests that sometimes doing what you can do best is better than what you think you want or have to do. The movie encourages you not to stick to a plan, but to let you surprise yourself. Beautiful and emotional third act, and a great ending monologue making out a case for a dog being the best friend one can have. Highly recommended. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like dogs, but to me there's nothing entertaining about a couple of idiots who can't raise one. The movie is devoid of laughs or interesting plot developments. They work and have kids and then the dog dies, and Marley is such an awful dog that I feel genuine relief (not sadness) when it finally kicks the bucket. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Cammila Albertson
    As a modest little dramedy about the everyday adventures of starting a family, Marley & Me is pretty solid, but as a movie about the joy and heartbreak of owning a dog, it goes straight for the jugular.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    My Dog Skip for people in mid-life crises, it?s too talky and trouble-laden for tykes but will doubtless prove as critic-proof to dog-lovers and the stars? fans as it did in the US.
  3. A warm and fuzzy family movie, but you do wish that at least once someone would upstage the dog.