6.6

1. Oct 8, 2014
    Very disappointed in this movie. The destruction scene looks like a cartoon! The martians look like a cartoon! At least Independence Day managed to be very good!
  2. Sep 10, 2014
    A very well constructed parody of 50's films. The effects are not convincing but are well created, plus the action filled story combined with comedy makes for a well rounded film experience---for what It's worth
  3. Jun 22, 2013
    An all star cast leads to Tim Burton's first sub par film. This film has a who's who of talented actors and actresses, but unfortunately it has a silly script and ridiculous aliens.
  4. Apr 16, 2013
    Mars Attacks tries too hard to be an intentionally bad movie. Even so, it still is charming and definitely nails the "so-bad-that-it's-good" category. Tons of cameos of stars that really shouldn't be in the movie at all.

Overall:
    This is a bad movie, no doubt about that. But, it is also incredibly charming and worth a watch for a quick tasteless laugh.
  5. Feb 7, 2013
    If you're looking for a B-movie quality parody of B-movies with a bunch of well-known actors thrown into a plot-less confusion of a movie then you'll enjoy this! But if you are like me you'll just leave the theater after viewing it scratching your head saying "What the hell was that I just watched?"
  6. Jan 31, 2013
    The aliens are upon us, and they do not come in peace! After a fleet of warships are spotted on their approach to Earth, the world leaders prepare to welcome the intergalactic invaders from Mars, but are instead vaporized by their laser death rays! Who will save us when MARS ATTACKS? Tim Burton's irreverent black comedy combines the high camp of a Roger Corman production with Sam Raimi'sThe aliens are upon us, and they do not come in peace! After a fleet of warships are spotted on their approach to Earth, the world leaders prepare to welcome the intergalactic invaders from Mars, but are instead vaporized by their laser death rays! Who will save us when MARS ATTACKS? Tim Burton's irreverent black comedy combines the high camp of a Roger Corman production with Sam Raimi's particular brand of "splatstick" humor for an end result that is nothing short of hilarious! MARS ATTACKS features an all-star lineup that includes Glenn Close, Pierce Brosnan, Annette Benning, Michael J. Fox, and many, many more playing ridiculous caricatures of our social and political figureheads. Academy Award winners Jack Nicholson and Rod Steiger stand out in particular as the two opposing heads of government. Nicholson plays the politically-correct President of the United States who overlooks the aliens' initial attacks as being a "cultural misunderstanding," while Steiger gives us a taste of DR. STRANGELOVE as General Decker, whose hand is always on the button as he anxiously awaits the authorization to deploy his nuclear deterrents. Expand
  7. Jan 20, 2013
    This stylistic feature of black comedy has put quite a mark on reflecting and perhaps parodying America's attitudes towards culture and materialism. The fact that the design of the UFOs and Martians were less shoddy and more of what we think of them means that it helps to look at these in terms of our assumptions. A great ensemble of character with their own time to shine, the comedy isThis stylistic feature of black comedy has put quite a mark on reflecting and perhaps parodying America's attitudes towards culture and materialism. The fact that the design of the UFOs and Martians were less shoddy and more of what we think of them means that it helps to look at these in terms of our assumptions. A great ensemble of character with their own time to shine, the comedy is affectionate as well as outrageous. It's not meant to be predictable, it's the fact that the characters should have seen this one coming. Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2010
    Martians are look like completely not realistic graphics but a good plot
  9. StephenS.
    Sep 14, 2006
    I just love this movie. I'm 58 years old and have been watching sci-fi movies for over 50 of those years. This movie has all the laughs of Matinee (another terrific movie) without the slightest attempt to soften the satire or blunt the humor with pathos. Great music, beautiful photography. It gets better with each viewing.
  10. BobB.
    May 29, 2006
    Tim Burton made this? or was he just making an attempt at a modern Ed Wood film?
  11. DeanD.
    Mar 20, 2006
    A total waste of time. Jokes were few and far between, and seldom funny at all. Tack those onto a threadbare, incoherent plot, and you have a recipe for disaster.
  12. Dee
    Feb 9, 2006
    No real plot. The movie was all over the board. The scenes made good actors appear as amaturs.
  13. Mike
    Feb 11, 2005
    An ok movie, the plot needs to be expanded more. couple of "funny joking."
  14. RobM.
    May 30, 2004
    This movie is about past and future events. It also tests the audience listening and visual skills. If the observer is paying close enough attention then one would realize the history involved and also to catch purposefully planned mistakes. A well thought out movie if one is paying attention. For instance when Richy took donuts to the parents trailer house the date the mother insinuates This movie is about past and future events. It also tests the audience listening and visual skills. If the observer is paying close enough attention then one would realize the history involved and also to catch purposefully planned mistakes. A well thought out movie if one is paying attention. For instance when Richy took donuts to the parents trailer house the date the mother insinuates does not match the date of the screen that was previously shown. And Jack Nicolson's statement "I'm not a crook" also is a past comment of one of America's president (Nixon). Then the way Mr. Nicolson holds his thumb while talking that is so similar to Mr. Bill Clinton's gestures while he was America's (cough, cough) leader. There are many other subtleties like these carefully placed throughout the movie. A great idea of testing our attention span in a very humorous way. Expand
  15. raVen
    Apr 11, 2004
    (2.5) Not funny ha-ha. "Funny--I coulda SWORE I parked the car RIGHT THERE!" funny.
  16. PatC.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Unique and memorable. Great entertainment for the family. Great commentary on entertainment personalities and how our government works. Could not have had a worse ending. What the hell does Tom Jones have to do with anything?
  17. YoonC.
    Sep 22, 2003
    Perhaps the funniest sci-fi comedy, the one where Tim Burton finally found his rhythm and groove. It has none of the heaviness of Batman, the condescending humility of Ed Wood, the aimless wizardry of Nitemare before Xmas. Rather, it freely refashions all the insane and laughable elements of cheap sci-fi movies of the 50s and uses them as the basis for a never ending orgy of visual Perhaps the funniest sci-fi comedy, the one where Tim Burton finally found his rhythm and groove. It has none of the heaviness of Batman, the condescending humility of Ed Wood, the aimless wizardry of Nitemare before Xmas. Rather, it freely refashions all the insane and laughable elements of cheap sci-fi movies of the 50s and uses them as the basis for a never ending orgy of visual imagination and outrageous gags. Too funny to describe, zany, insane, and goodhumored thru and thru. Also features some of the best comic peformances of the 90s. Nicholson here far outshines his hamacting in Batman. Expand
  18. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Weak. It's not funny, not exciting and not visually interesting.

1. I'm not sure what it all means, but, as in Ed Wood, Burton's visual flair and affection for the characters make it fun.
  2. In its nothing's-quite-at-stake way, Mars Attacks! has Tim Burton's flaked-out spirit -- it makes you feel like a very knowing 8-year-old, seeing through the artifice yet believing in it at the same time.
  3. Nicholson squeezes every wretched drop of buffoonery from this character, and it's distressing to watch him play an easy role for easy laughs.