5.0

1. Mar 14, 2011
    What is happening to Disney? Iâ
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    Wow Robert Zemeckis, are you serious? The SF king throwing this crap into the theaters? "Mars Needs Mom" is terrible. The story pace is inconsistent as well as its huge cliched ending. Don't watch it.
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    Just another bad movie nothing special at the least bit.
  4. Mar 17, 2011
    This was a great family movie. Very entertaining and heart warming for kids and parents alike. My daughter wants to live on the Moon and travel to Mars. So this was great fun. Also the 3D digital art work was fantastic. It seemd as if you were there with Milo. I am going to go see it again and also buy the new DVD. Thanks Disney and IMD!
  5. Aug 25, 2011
    Yes, the animation looks incredibly real, impressively so. I applaud the time and energy that went into creating this. The problem is that it actually works against the film in two very bad ways. The first is simple: The film is unpleasant to look at. This is uncanny valley territory. Everything looks so real, but at the same time clearly false, that it gets very, very creepy. I think this is the main factor in driving kids away. If I were five years old, this would have freaked me out. The other reason is a point I've been trying to get at for a while. Making animated films look realistic is inherently a bad idea. Leaving the uncanny factor out, this is always a bad idea. Why is it that animated films are made? So we can do things that can't be done in real life. Look to the film with the best 3D animation I've ever seen: Tangled. Tangled's animation was detailed down to the shiniest fiber of hair. Even then, it never looked like anyone was really there. If no one will believe it, then do whatever you can with it. Mars Needs Moms, you fail. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No broccoli, no TV. That's the edict handed down from a mother to her son, so the motion capture boy tries to fool his motion capture mom by feeding the offending vegetable to the motion capture cat. The ruse works, until the cat barfs, and Milo(Seth Green) is sent to bed without his zombie fix. Feeling burned, Milo wishes that he never had a mom, making the woman who sounds suspiciously like Joan Cusack cry, and before he can take it back, she becomes the victim of an alien abduction, in a style that strongly recalls "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". In the 1977 Steven Spielberg film, the moviegoer feels the anguish of being left behind as Melinda Dillon watches the otherworldly aircraft whisk her baby away beyond the lit-up sky to heaven knows where. "Mars Needs Moms" is not quite so harsh(if it was, you'd have a theater full of traumatized little kids), since Milo sneaks on board the departing spaceship. True, Milo's mother may be lobotomized by a faintly Asian-sounding alien who looks a little like E.T.(MIndy Sterling), but "Mars Needs Moms" makes sure that the boy has some fun on this dystopian planet, where girls are more prized than boys. With mother and son always being relatively close together, there's not much in the way of drama, as it would've had Milo needed to find his own passage to the red planet. The boy never realizes the full extent of regret for uttering those hurtful words against his mom because he's too cognizant of her whereabouts. The mission, as a result, doesn't have a whole lot of urgency to it, and yet, we do see what could happen to the captured woman(through another character's mother) which is considerably more frightening than anything in "Bambi". Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2011
    I dont understand why people have slammed this movie with poor ratiings, clearly there not watching the movie, busy on there phone or talking to there friends. This is aimed at slightly older kids, i think a PG is only been handed out because its a disney movie. Anyone under 7 will struggle to understand this movie simply because of the action scenes and story is not really "Disney". But that being said, my two kids who are 7 and 8 both really enjoyed the movie. Its a warm touching movie with a good meaning to it. Its funny throughout for kids and familys. But those going into this thinking there gonna see a film along the lines of Wall-e or Area 51 they will be disapointed. This is a far cry from cute disney as all the animation looks exactly like real people, which may come across scary for younger viewers i dont recommend any parent taking any child under 6 to see this film some scenes are not suitable, a few parents took there kids out of the film because they were scared. But the animation is amazing, the effects and voice acting are outstanding. If you enjoy a clever movie with twists and turns then this is for you. Im buying the DVD when it comes out. One of the best animated movies of the year. Expand
  8. May 29, 2012
    Its among the most impressive animated films visually. I found many of the characters memorable Some of the aliens seem creepy but thats only because of the animation. Its not all bad.
  9. Jan 6, 2012
    Mars Needs Moms has a great premise and has great animation along with great motion capture performers, but it isn't creative or heartfelt or funny for that matter. Mars Needs Moms ends up being weird and bland. I give this movie 33%.
  10. May 6, 2012
    I have to say not one of Zemeckis's best. Some parts were a little bit cheesy but fun characters and some funny moments were enough to hold me through to give it a good score.
  11. Aug 26, 2012
    you see now here's the movie we have all been waiting for with beatiful animation and the rest that are eye popping it will go down with classics such as toy story.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    best movie of 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    I'm very surprised by the low critics and viewers ratings for this film. I thought it was nicely done and I actually enjoyed it. I will say that the film was a little slow and uneventful at the beginning, but once the story unfolded a bit, I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm not quite sure who the target audience was for this and that probably explains the poor box office performance. I don't think young kids would have liked this film, and I don't think older kids would want to see it either; that's the only real negative thing about the film. But if you're a fan of motion capture animation I say check this out! Expand
  14. Apr 20, 2013
    It is not a really good film from disney. I was expected more
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    there is no story nothing really maybe I'm just dumb, stale, bland ,uninteresting i have more but u get the picture this is one of those awful movies you watch at night when u cant really get to sleep then u wish u had just watch an infomercial. i like watching pretty much anything but these has to go to the dump
  16. Jan 24, 2014
    This is a movie that was way too underrated. MNM is a visually stellar film with a fast paced plot that has an important moral message: Always treasure those closest to you. This movie is full of things to like, most of which critics overlooked. A better title would have given this movie the credit it deserves, but it's too bad we'll never get to see a sequel.

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Mar 12, 2011
    The how-it-was-made demonstration may have been the most captivating part of Mars Needs Moms.
  2. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Mar 11, 2011
    Mars Needs Moms is dark for a Disney movie.
    It's amazing to see, but potentially unsettling. Green is now 37. And it may be more than some mothers can take, imagining themselves cleaning up after their "little boy" when he's crowding 40.