Max Payne

5.4

1. ChrisG
    Oct 19, 2008
    As a movie in general , great, but as a max payne video game movie , story line is butchered. Some characters just arent what they are supposed to be , some MAJOR characters are left out , those of you who have seen it will know what im talking about. And alot of stuff not even remotely close to game was put in. I do give them credit for nicole horne , for a second i really thought it was her.
  2. NoorDimashk
    Oct 26, 2008
    Slightly above average movie. The concept is amazing, the execution is close to terrible. But it's not a complete disaster.
  3. JackM.
    Nov 8, 2008
    It was an action packed film. the story needs some improvement but Mark Wilbergh was a very good actor in this movie.
  4. AngusM.
    Nov 15, 2008
    I know the plot really sucked and was badly explained, but the visual style of the film was awesome and the acting was passable too. most of the action was cool and well-shot, except one stupid slow-mo bit where max bends backwards with the shotgun and ends up looking like an idiot.
  5. KeenanS.
    Jul 15, 2009
    To date, I have seen thirteen video game films, and this one of my least favorite of the bunch. Loved the Resident Evil films (All 4), Silent Hill, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Tomb Raider films and Hitman. Those were my favorites of all of them. Unfortunately, Max Payne just feels like a lazy attempt to cash in on the game's name instead of actually doing anything remarkable. To date, I have seen thirteen video game films, and this one of my least favorite of the bunch. Loved the Resident Evil films (All 4), Silent Hill, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Tomb Raider films and Hitman. Those were my favorites of all of them. Unfortunately, Max Payne just feels like a lazy attempt to cash in on the game's name instead of actually doing anything remarkable. This was a pretty dull action film, but it just managed to barely save itself from sucking. I recommend the video game films I mentioned long before I'd recommend this lazy and rather boring film. It's not bad, but it's just not that good. Too bad, especially considering Twentieth Century Fox did such a good job with Hitman. Expand
  6. Nov 1, 2013
    Mark Wahlberg plays popular game hero Max Payne, a cop who sets out to find the man who killed his wife and child, while doing so he uncovers a potential conspiracy that could lead him to the killer.

While Max Payne boasts a great tone, atmosphere and great cinematography, the overall film wasn't really all that great, the acting was tough to judge, there were some good performances but the actors seem like they didn't have much to work with, the action scenes are minimal, and was just a ton of shooting and they weren't all that exciting, however if you are interested in this film, you can watch it, but I feel that there are better options.

Without comparing it to the game, I felt they could have done more to make it a bit more interesting and exciting, and possibly add more to Max Payne's back story and they could've been more inventive with the action scenes instead of making people just shoot at each other.

Otherwise, its a good concept and is well shot, but the execution needed a little more work.
  7. Feb 23, 2014
    Max Payne the film falls short of the Max Payne game series. John Moore takes the concept of the game it's story line and creates something basic. The fans of Max Payne were a bit disappointed at the films depute. Unfortunately the story and comics in the first game were so impressive for that time and made such a huge impact in the gaming industry and most importantly in the player's, orMax Payne the film falls short of the Max Payne game series. John Moore takes the concept of the game it's story line and creates something basic. The fans of Max Payne were a bit disappointed at the films depute. Unfortunately the story and comics in the first game were so impressive for that time and made such a huge impact in the gaming industry and most importantly in the player's, or better gamers minds. Therefore it would be very hard to make a movie with a similar impact and create a Max Payne as Bad ass as you could possibly make it in the game. I mean you as a player. It is a shame, the film could have done more justice to the Max Payne novelty. Maybe future remakes will be taken into accord although I know the reason they are not at the moment. The directors saw how hard it was to make an actual impression on the fans. It is a shame really, Mark Walkberg is a decent actor but unfortunately he did not make a true impact in this film. I would suggest a more sickening looking kind a character. But hey, we cannot really get exactly what we want can we? Well.. sometimes we can. Film-makers have shows us before and will do so again.. Expand
  8. NeilJ.
    Oct 14, 2008
    May end up being the best video game movie, which isn't saying a lot, of course. And it's too modern-looking; if it were my movie to shoot, it clearly would have had a dash of self-conscious camp and noir, perhaps something like Sin City; Max Payne appears to take itself seriously, and it never read Raymond Chandler. And I'm not sure what the 'demons' are all May end up being the best video game movie, which isn't saying a lot, of course. And it's too modern-looking; if it were my movie to shoot, it clearly would have had a dash of self-conscious camp and noir, perhaps something like Sin City; Max Payne appears to take itself seriously, and it never read Raymond Chandler. And I'm not sure what the 'demons' are all about, other than some attempt to appeal to the current taste for dark zombie-horror stuff. It's also worth noting that this trailer is not the original one that was released a month or two ago; the sheer badness of Ludacris and the Police Chief have been removed from this version. My guess is that it will garner a 5 metascore when the film critics and the glossy mag scribblers are done with it. Expand
  9. JayH.
    Jan 18, 2009
    Surprisingly tame and the pacing is too slow. It was very good visually, good cinematography and the atmosphere is effective. Too much of the film is hard to follow and makes no sense. Stylish, almost overly so.
  10. Oct 17, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie. Unfortunately, the movie seems to chug at a very slow pace and the action scenes are way too far and few between. Even the shootdodge that Marky Mark does in the movie doesn't even look that proper. However, even without all the action, the movie does stay very true to form to the video games, as it is as dark as the games is.
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    It's pretty entertaining in some point, but even then it's only on a superficial level. "Max Payne" is a pretty lame attempt at recreating what the games did so well.
  12. Sep 13, 2014
    Verdict: Video Game Action success?

Verdict: Video Game Action success?

Story: Having never played the games or even knowing anything about the games I could really see this fresh as an action fan. I was expecting some form of supernatural side to the story but I was wrong. It is just a revenge thriller that has lots of action and very little dialogue. Most of the support characters have very little development and are each only used to pass on a small part of the story. In the end as a standalone action film it is switch the mind of acceptable. (6/10)

Actor Review: Mark Wahlberg – Max Payne the determined cop who wants to truth who ends up getting caught up in something bigger than he could have ever imagined. Solid from Mark but the fans of the games will dislike what he does to the character. (7/10)

max

Actor Review: Mila Kunis – Mona from the more underworld side of the city she ends up teaming up with Max to take down the people responsible for the death of their loved ones. I think this was a bit too early in her career, she looks a little bit out of place, and maybe she could return for a sequel and use what she has learned. (4/10)

mila

Actor Review: Beau Bridges – BB Hensley friend of Max who was also good friends with his wife, he tries to help but ultimately is the guy responsible for everything that has driven Max. Good but nothing special performance. (6/10)

Actor Review: Ludacris – Jim the internal affairs officer trying to figure out what the corruption in the Police could change how they look at crimes being committed in the town. Another guy who was in a role that is hard to believe too early in his acting career, he tries but it just doesn’t quite some off for him. (5/10)

ludicrus

Actor Review: Chris O’Donnell – Jason a former work colleague of Max’s wife, knows more than he is letting on. Good supporting role that is good use for information only. (5/10)

Actor Review: Donal Logue – Alex ex-partner who tries to reconnect after discovering a new clue about Max’s wife’s murder. Only a small role but the look of a desperate friend works well. (6/10)

Actor Review: Amaury Nolasco – Jack a man that spends a lot of time watching what is going on with Max and Mona, but he does have a motive, but we never know what he final motive is. Good supporting role used well to create a target for Max. (6/10)

amruay

Director Review: John Moore – Simple direction used to create plenty of over the top action for the more casual fan to enjoy. (6/10)

Action: Plenty of gun fights throughout, I really don’t know how many bullets they must have used. (9/10)

Crime: Simple crime aspects used nothing truly original though. (6/10)

Thriller: Tries to pull of some thrills but doesn’t really succeed. (6/10)

Special Effects: Good special effects for the hallucination scenes and gun battles. (9/10)

Believability: No (0/10)

Chances of Tears: No (0/10)

Settings: Dark settings used to create a very dark world similar to the story they are in. (8/10)

Suggestion: This is really one to try I can’t say it is very original and like most video game films isn’t the most popular compared to the games. (Try It)

Best Part: Gun rights.

Worst Part: poor support character development.

Action Scene Of The Film: The office gun battle

Oscar Chances: No Chances of Sequel: Do to the poor box office it would be a no. Overall: Video Game Action, You Know What You Are Getting
  13. Oct 20, 2014
    I saw the movie before I learned about the video game. The Movie took a different spin that was less effective than the video game. Then again, I am not sure they've made any movies based on video games that were a real success. That being said, I still think this one falls on the higher end of those films. Although it lacked the grit and murky attitude the video game had, the storyI saw the movie before I learned about the video game. The Movie took a different spin that was less effective than the video game. Then again, I am not sure they've made any movies based on video games that were a real success. That being said, I still think this one falls on the higher end of those films. Although it lacked the grit and murky attitude the video game had, the story structure and dialogue could have been much worse. Lets be grateful. Marc W. was an interesting pick as Max Payne, and I think he delivered something with substance. Could a different actor do better, possibly a few, I thought he lacked that inner strife and just hollow feel that drives Max, I don't feel like Max is a mess and doesn't care and wants to die because he has nothing but revenge on his mind. I feel like that still mostly could be the director's and story's fault. Max Payne should have had a more epic intro than "leave that man alone". I also think Mila Kunis was an attention cast rather than a talent cast, not to mention Luda. Her character lacked the hate and aggression needed to believe she was a mafia member...not her strength. This movie could have been great. Revenge stories always have potential, the flaws are notable but I think this one managed to crutch along and not be a failure. Just not much more than that. Expand
  14. AndrewB
    Oct 17, 2008
    I tried not to have high hopes for this movie, and with good reason, apparently. The slow-motion didn't bother me, since that's an integral part of the video games, but what really really bothered me about this movie is for an action flick, there was hardly any action. Fans of the games will find small comforts in nods here and there, but then they'll be left scratching I tried not to have high hopes for this movie, and with good reason, apparently. The slow-motion didn't bother me, since that's an integral part of the video games, but what really really bothered me about this movie is for an action flick, there was hardly any action. Fans of the games will find small comforts in nods here and there, but then they'll be left scratching their heads as to why Lt. Jim Bravura, an old white guy in the games, was replaced by Ludacris. What, Samuel Jackson was busy? I've left movies unhappy about my money spent before, but this time I was just confused. It's really more of a drama than an action flick. Expand
  15. Snake
    Oct 22, 2008
    This should be called Max Boredom. There's way too much story crammed in and hardly any action, and the action is pathetic anyways--barely any bullet-time or suspense. The cast and casting is horrible, though Mark Wahlberg could have been good with decent direction. Music and sound was trite. Some decent visual effects on occasion; the perpetual snow from the game was appreciated This should be called Max Boredom. There's way too much story crammed in and hardly any action, and the action is pathetic anyways--barely any bullet-time or suspense. The cast and casting is horrible, though Mark Wahlberg could have been good with decent direction. Music and sound was trite. Some decent visual effects on occasion; the perpetual snow from the game was appreciated (though it rained at some points...wtf?). The style was decent, but would have been better if true to the game's gritty cop drama noir plus more narration from Max. In summary, as far as video game remakes go, it was maybe better than Doom but not as good as Hitman. Just watch the graphic novel on Youtube instead. Expand
  16. JasonH.
    Nov 6, 2008
    Max Payne more like Max Suck. This movie is nothing like the video game. The story isn't the same, the characters don't even dress like the characters in the game, and everything that made the game special, like its Film Noir roots, is completely absent in this movie. I only saw this horrible movie because a friend begged me to go with him. The only pleasure I got from it was Max Payne more like Max Suck. This movie is nothing like the video game. The story isn't the same, the characters don't even dress like the characters in the game, and everything that made the game special, like its Film Noir roots, is completely absent in this movie. I only saw this horrible movie because a friend begged me to go with him. The only pleasure I got from it was laughing at the screen at the horrible lack of dialog that Mark Walberg has in the movie and the awkward action that features swat team members running on top of office desks and shooting at the same time. Do Not Go See This Movie! Expand
  17. LaurenS.
    Jan 21, 2009
    Max Payne, is one of those movies where you see them, but you just have no feeling for it... "the seen films"- needless to say, it feels like in every 'seen' film, that movies are just, i don't know; stupid, queer, and maybe overall, i think this explains exactly the point i'm trying to make. Maybe Max Payne just is so pointless, the audience literally feels numb about Max Payne, is one of those movies where you see them, but you just have no feeling for it... "the seen films"- needless to say, it feels like in every 'seen' film, that movies are just, i don't know; stupid, queer, and maybe overall, i think this explains exactly the point i'm trying to make. Maybe Max Payne just is so pointless, the audience literally feels numb about the whole thing. Now, that's a bad thing. It always makes me sad to see a movie end up like this one, it could be good; but even the director failed to apply this one little thing into the movie. We all have feelings for things, and people, right? Same with movies, and their characters... my reaction was that why even make something based on a video game? The special effects people must've been convinced that if they hyped it up enough, critics and all of the public would be astonished about this video game turned into a mess. If you ask me, Max Payne went on auto pilot. It was complete nonsense, you can go and see it, but be prepared; You're not missing much. Expand
  18. Nov 3, 2014
    I expect it to be equally beautiful as the game. Too bad ... The movie could have been much better if it got the same story as in the original game ..

1. Max Payne offers max pain along with min invention, and the only thing that keeps it out of the bottom of the Dumpster--it’s more of a top-of-the-Dumpster movie--is the presence of Mark Wahlberg.
  2. A banal revenge melodrama-cum-detective story, but fans of the video game on which it is based should not be alarmed.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Stylishly made, armed to the teeth and ludicrous in the extreme.