7.6

1. Sep 22, 2010
    Yeah yeah, "magic of the theater" and all that. Too much "Me" and not enough "Orson Welles". No offence to Zac Efron (look, I spelled his name right, there's no k in Zac), but.....yeah ok, a little bit of offence to Zac Efron. Not because of his acting, but because I yawned like I had two beers in me.
  2. Apr 1, 2011
    The bone-deep understanding that your life is so utterly without meaning. That simply to survive you have to reinvent yourself. Because if people canâ
  3. RichardE.
    Jan 4, 2010
    This might not be true for users, but some of the professional critics seem to have missed the irony of Welles's anti-fascist _Caesar_ being staged by a guy who gleeful acted like an autocrat. Maybe too many Americans accept the Romantic idea of the director as The Artist as Hero and allow him
  4. EdwardK.
    Dec 26, 2009
    A very entertaining movie, but not a great one. How I would have loved to have seen Welles's production of Caesar, however!
  5. AmyB
    Dec 7, 2009
    Watch this movie just for Christian MacKay, who plays a demented Orson Welles that will shock you.
  6. WilsonS.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Too self-consciously a period piece, but pleasant enough.
  7. May 5, 2011
    Who had the larger ego, Orson Welles or Julius Caesar? I have heard about the legendary Orson Welles ego and the film â
  8. Aug 24, 2012
    Once again Linklater proves that he can direct anything. This film is charming and entertaining. It works as a period piece, a biopic of orson welles and a coming of age story as well as a drama. Every aspect and genre in the film works extremely well. This film is made with so much skill it is astounding. Christian Mckay blew me away with his subtle nuances as Orson Welles. The only timeOnce again Linklater proves that he can direct anything. This film is charming and entertaining. It works as a period piece, a biopic of orson welles and a coming of age story as well as a drama. Every aspect and genre in the film works extremely well. This film is made with so much skill it is astounding. Christian Mckay blew me away with his subtle nuances as Orson Welles. The only time the film kind of faltered for me was it's climax which is the play itself. Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2013
    An enjoyable film packed full of great performances and interesting characters. Unfortunately Zac Efron, who plays the main character, is a very poor actor and he goes a long way in dragging the film down. If they had cast a better actor in his part this film would have been a lot better.

1. Christian McKay's impersonation of young Orson Welles is sensational in this enjoyable, though slight, historical fiction about a teen who spends a memorable week with the legendary wonder.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    There are moments, especially when Welles is alternating between acting as Brutus and directing everyone else, that it’s possible to forget you’re watching an actor and really believe you’re beholding Orson Welles at work.
    This is a movie of great spirit and considerable charm. It’s about the giddiness of promise--the awakening of young talent, after years of the Depression, to a moment when anything seems possible.