8.2

1. WhitneyO
    Jan 31, 2005
    First off... THIS MOVIE RIPPED OFF DELIVERANCE!!! There were no redeaming qualities what-so-ever. This is a prime example of sentimental, manipulative slush that is proof that movie-goers have been taught to not think critically. The predictability of the plot, and the overabundance of overemotional imagery killed any remaining sympathy I had for the characters. One more point I'd First off... THIS MOVIE RIPPED OFF DELIVERANCE!!! There were no redeaming qualities what-so-ever. This is a prime example of sentimental, manipulative slush that is proof that movie-goers have been taught to not think critically. The predictability of the plot, and the overabundance of overemotional imagery killed any remaining sympathy I had for the characters. One more point I'd like to add to all aspiring film makers. DON'T USE INDIE MUSIC TO SELL YOUR MOVIE. You are destroying everything about the music, and it doesn't make your movie any better. Just because you have good music in your movie, doesn't mean that your movie is good. A movie should not have to resort to preying on the success of other artforms to better its own. Expand
  2. JonathanF.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Disturbing, involving, very well acted, and fantastic.
  3. LaurenO.
    Jul 5, 2006
    Mean Creek is a great movie. Scott Mechlowicz made it even better. It has to be my favorite movie ever. I saw it for the first time last week, and i've watched it about 6 or 7 times since, no lie. I hope that one day there will be a second one because i want to find out about what happened to everybody, especially Marty because he's the best character and it would suck if he got Mean Creek is a great movie. Scott Mechlowicz made it even better. It has to be my favorite movie ever. I saw it for the first time last week, and i've watched it about 6 or 7 times since, no lie. I hope that one day there will be a second one because i want to find out about what happened to everybody, especially Marty because he's the best character and it would suck if he got caught or went to jail. It would make me like the first movie more if there was a 2nd because it bothers me when movies keep you wondering... but this is still my favorite movie ever! Expand
  4. FA
    Nov 17, 2008
    It was a very good film although a huge amount of bad language. Good themes- deeper meaning. Would not recommend for younger viewers although would be good for those a bit older.
  5. CameronS.
    Aug 20, 2004
    EXCELLENT MOVIE! Very well done and acted! The story and charectors were real and the actors fit them perfectly. Everything about it was distubing in an honest way. Its message was also really good. Very well done movie!
  6. AlliB.
    Jan 5, 2005
    Best ensemble performance (by teens, no less) of the year. Easily.
  7. armandos.
    Feb 5, 2005
    This movie is a homage to DELIVERANCE, but not in the same league. The events happen is a predictable manner-George is rather obnoxious and there is a certain satisfaction when he finally falls into the creek- Apparently the director was trying to achieve the audiences dislike of the fat guy so the choice facing the teenagers in the aftermath would not be so obvious. I will disagree with This movie is a homage to DELIVERANCE, but not in the same league. The events happen is a predictable manner-George is rather obnoxious and there is a certain satisfaction when he finally falls into the creek- Apparently the director was trying to achieve the audiences dislike of the fat guy so the choice facing the teenagers in the aftermath would not be so obvious. I will disagree with Chad S.-this movie was as good as ALL THE REAL GIRLS. Expand
  8. GaborA.
    Aug 28, 2004
    Every movie has a dry spell between the turning of events and the finale. This movie dry spell is rather dry cameras sitting motionless trying to waste time. However, the rest of the movie is well done in all aspects.
  9. RoyF.
    Sep 22, 2004
    An extraordinarily honest depiction of a group of young people playing out their individual personalities under stress, with all (but one) coming to grips with a moral dilemna in a positive way. Amazing acting. Fresh cinematic presentation. A totally engrossing film.
  10. Jao
    Feb 20, 2005
    I would have like this movie for the sheer fact that for once the teen actors aren't trying too hard to look cool. Some nice cinematography, believable storyline and an ending that leaves you wondering about life and how you would personally deal with such awful but uncontrollable circumstances. good fun for the whole family. ha
  11. GregM
    Mar 13, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] I'm trying to figure out how people are comparing this movie to "Deliverance." Just because there is a river involved does not mean the movies are the same. This is one of the best portrayals of teenagers I've seen in a very long while, and while I admit George's eventual death was easy to foresee, that doesn't detract one iota from the wonderful acting[***SPOILERS***] I'm trying to figure out how people are comparing this movie to "Deliverance." Just because there is a river involved does not mean the movies are the same. This is one of the best portrayals of teenagers I've seen in a very long while, and while I admit George's eventual death was easy to foresee, that doesn't detract one iota from the wonderful acting and writing here. Stop kidding yourself: you knew someone was going to die when you looked at the DVD cover. What I liked best was how the characters changed their minds in such a realistic way as Peck's personality kept revealing both monstrous and then humane qualities. A very good movie that should be seen, but it is no upper, if you are looking for one. Expand
  12. roxiis.
    Mar 16, 2005
    This movie is outstanding!!! i've wacthed it 25 times!!!
  13. JeffT.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Great coming of age movie. It reminded me of a cross between Stand By Me and Deliverance
  14. AndrewK.
    Sep 13, 2004
    I wasn't sure what to expect from this film. When it first began I thought some of the dialogue was forced, and too adult for the age of the characters. But as more time went by, the more real it started to feel and I started to forget that. The interaction between characters began to feel much more natural and soon everything the characters did seemed perfect to me. Like it was I wasn't sure what to expect from this film. When it first began I thought some of the dialogue was forced, and too adult for the age of the characters. But as more time went by, the more real it started to feel and I started to forget that. The interaction between characters began to feel much more natural and soon everything the characters did seemed perfect to me. Like it was impossible for any real person to react in any other way. All of the characters had a distinct personality and way of looking at things, once again, leading them to react in the only way their characters possibly could. It makes a very powerful statment about the cruelty between friends and between young people in general. The acting was also very good. Rory Culkin reminded me much of his older brother Kieren, which I expected he would. They both seem to have the talent that Macauly lacks. The fat kid was hilarious and one of the most realistic characters in the film. His ability to jump from friendly, joke cracking to ruthless, lashing out felt all too real. A hurt young man who wants so badly to belong but when he feels that he can't, his only recourse is bring down those around him. I've known people like that, and his performance was dead on. The best performance of all came from the beautiful young Carly Schroder, who's very subtle reactions and eventually silent terror showed skill WAY beyond her years. We may have another very young star here about to break out. Better than anything Dakota Fanning's capable of, that's for sure. As a whole the movie felt perfect, but I hesitated from giving it a ten just for that first part of the movie where some of the dialogue felt forced, but its a brilliant movie that should not be missed. A good, moral tale that hits all the right notes. Everything I'm saying here is starting to sound cliche, so I'll just leave it at that. Expand
  15. ChadS.
    Sep 26, 2004
    "Mean Creek" temporarily restores my faith in the American independent scene. What strikes me most about this beguilling film is how decent these kids are. When a fun day on the water diverges into tragedy, their grief in the aftermath seems more bent towards their waterlogged comrade than the saving of their own skins. These kids might be heroes. George (an excellent Josh Peck, who "Mean Creek" temporarily restores my faith in the American independent scene. What strikes me most about this beguilling film is how decent these kids are. When a fun day on the water diverges into tragedy, their grief in the aftermath seems more bent towards their waterlogged comrade than the saving of their own skins. These kids might be heroes. George (an excellent Josh Peck, who reminded me of Eamonn Owens from "The Butcher Boy", as someone you gradually realize is insane) has the potential to kill somebody someday. And yet, these kids aren't completely innocent, even though we could we see it was an accident, because their means of transporting George to the creek has echoes of the mafia, imitative of a film like "Good Fellas", where George is in the midst of youthful revelry in a car trip to the river (like Morrie who doesn't know DeNiro is planning his death but enjoys the camraderie of a card game), unaware that he's en route to being the star of a Greek tragedy. These kids adapt the form of a planned execution, which they never intended, but happens anyway, incidentally. "Mean Creek" is the best American independent film since "All the Real Girls". Expand
  16. DanC.
    Feb 13, 2005
    Wonderful character study. Very well written. It rings true on every level. Impressive performances all around from the young cast. This movie pulled me in and didn't let go. A must see.
  17. CaptainCraig
    Feb 18, 2005
    A kind of want to be. Stand By Me that flopped in a big way. Typical of current writing and production mentality. A waist of film...and my time.
  18. Apr 17, 2011

It starts off with a scene starring Josh Peck, aka Josh from Drake and Josh. Honestly, I almost stopped it there... Him? In a serious sounding role? This could not end well... Or could it? Luckily it did. For those who haven't heard of this movie it revolves around a bully (Josh Peck) and his "victim", Sam. Sam wants to get back

Luckily it did. For those who haven't heard of this movie it revolves around a bully (Josh Peck) and his "victim", Sam. Sam wants to get back at him and enlists his brother and his brothers friends. They devise a prank that involves getting the bully, George, onto the river, daring him to strip naked, leaving him and making him run home naked. Of course as you can see by the poster...things turn dreary.

This movie was honestly one of the hardest movies to watch I feel. So excruciating to watch as you know what they are planning to do, humiliate this bully. At first you feel bad for Sam as he got beat up, but then you get to know George and see that he actually just wants to be friends with them all and he has a learning disability and such. So watching them plot, scheme, and lie to his face knowing that he eventually is going to be hurt... so painful to watch. It gets even more painful when the climax occurs and the "accident" happens.

The rest of the movie after the climax is just as painful to watch and just as emotionally draining. It follows the same characters, sans George, as they have to make huge decisions in their life and face the consequences. What makes this movie so good is the fact that as you are watching it you can easily put yourself into their positions and that turns this movie into a whole new perspective. You feel their distress, their sadness, their anger, their motives. You are Sam, you are George, you are every single one of those characters at once and feel all what they are going through. This movie will leave you in shambles.
  19. Nov 16, 2014
    Very under rated film, but extremely good. The best part about this movie was the acting. A lot of suspense throughout the movie and the plot and writing was incredible. Highly recommend it.

Estes never really completes a thought about this sorry group's moral dilemmas.
  2. Imagine a bolder "Bully" blended with a more probing "River's Edge" and you'll have some idea of this little drama's strong dramatic and emotional power.
  3. Like an uncommonly artful and well-acted after-school special. I don't mean this as a put-down: its combination of realism and fretful moral inquiry is best suited to the tastes and sensibilities of young teenagers who devour young-adult fiction.