Meek's Cutoff

6.0

1. Apr 23, 2011
    Wow. As Joe says, it's certainly minimalist. But in a movie, I want more than what this movie is offering. You don't end a movie this way. I wrote a short story in college as part of a fiction-writing seminar, and I ended it in a similar way. I was roundly attacked by most everyone in the class as well as the professor - now I understand why. Michelle Williams is solid - so is BruceWow. As Joe says, it's certainly minimalist. But in a movie, I want more than what this movie is offering. You don't end a movie this way. I wrote a short story in college as part of a fiction-writing seminar, and I ended it in a similar way. I was roundly attacked by most everyone in the class as well as the professor - now I understand why. Michelle Williams is solid - so is Bruce Greenwood. Would I recommend that ANYone see this movie? Nope. Was the tension, the frustration, the desperation palpable? Absolutely. This would be a good movie-club type of movie to discuss among a group. It's the anti-There-Will-Be-Blood. Expand
  2. May 31, 2011
    A small group of pioneers is lost on the Oregon trail: that's pretty much the whole movie. The pacing is beyond slow: they trudge across the land, do simple chores, trudge some more. Much of the minimal dialogue is indiscernible and there's no emotional build. And to top it off, the movie doesn't endâ
  3. Jan 4, 2012
    Its a reasonably good movie let down by a rather unfulfilled ending. Had I known of the type of ending I probably would have given it a miss. Its not a memorable film by any means and the fact that it scores in the green is probably a reflection of the poor choice of movies these days that anything of merit of this film.

1. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    May 26, 2011
    Greenwood is fantastic; his Meek occasionally lets down his facade of omniscience - but only occasionally. And Williams gives Emily not dignity exactly, but a calm, steely insistence on survival.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    May 25, 2011
    To call Meek's Cutoff slow doesn't begin to describe its pace. There are stretches that are, frankly, boring. But the vivid details and intimacy you develop with these travelers sticks with you.
  3. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    May 19, 2011
    A mesmerizing cinematic journey that is often as arduous and spare as the lives of its hard-bitten protagonists.