Universal Pictures | Release Date: November 13, 1998
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 98 Ratings
Watch Now
ThomasT.Mar 27, 2008
It's a movie-miracle!The plot is great and Anthony Hopkins is..fantastic!Brad Pitt is great too!In the end you will cry for much time..It's unbelievable!
3 of 4 users found this helpful
BGJul 15, 2004
Exceptional acting. Every character is crucial to the script here. The script is truly rich for eevry character. Even Tambor's Quince, a truly minor character, is especially paramount to understanding this movie's characters. If Exceptional acting. Every character is crucial to the script here. The script is truly rich for eevry character. Even Tambor's Quince, a truly minor character, is especially paramount to understanding this movie's characters. If you can accept the premise (and I don't see why it is so hard for so many) then this movie is well worth your time. And to all those who say "less is more," maybe it is a bit too long, but no movie is perfect, and most all the dialogue and deliveries are amazing. And I sat through Braveheart the same as all of you and loved it. If a movie is interesting, I'll stay. It is smart dialogue with an excellent score, fantastic cinematography, superb direction, and a great cast. It's unfathomable that this man went on to direct the unintelligable Gigli. Expand
2 of 3 users found this helpful
RegOzApr 5, 2012
I think giving this movie less than 6 is a bit unfair, but I understand it is about taste but less than that?. To me is a 8.5 or 9. I am know a snob about movies, although I do know about arts. I love European movies, Hollywood movies, SouthI think giving this movie less than 6 is a bit unfair, but I understand it is about taste but less than that?. To me is a 8.5 or 9. I am know a snob about movies, although I do know about arts. I love European movies, Hollywood movies, South American movies...as long as they are good and transmit feeling and have a point, and are good (in ther genre) I enjoy them. I actually have the Meet Joe's Black dvd at home, because this is a great movie to enjoy if one just want to relax, smile, and at the same time experience some deep emotions. This movie is not complex,but it is never dull either. I wouldn't call it predictable for I believe it is original. I don't think the producers atempted to create an utterly profound movie; still, I believe they wanted to give a different perspective in regards to life, dead and human relationships, without being too heavy or 'trascendental'. To me, they wanted to transmit feeling but just in a light, refreshing way. I did enjoy the performances too, and I believe people who didn't enjoy this movie is probably because they were expecting to see, something that this movie was not meant to be. This film has no overly high pretentions, yet, it was a movie rich in beautiful moments, and diversity of characters. Whenever I watch Meet Joe Black I get a delitghful feeling... It is a very unique, sweet, sensible movie, that will make you smile if you let it to do so!.. I never get tired of it!

And yeah! As somebody said...it is not that Brad Pitt was stale, or cold, or expresionless...but he was playing the DEATH for God's sake! Better performance, impossible, he was outstanding! Likewise, Anthony Hopkins was magnificent! I felt his character! I did feel for him! and Claire Danes...she was perfect for the role...! Overall, the movie always felt real! How often can we find beauty when we meet Death?
glemonJul 30, 2012
This is one of my all time top ten movies, can watch it over and over again, Hopkins at his best, Pitt, who I usually don't like or at least am indifferent too, is perfect as Death experiencing life in someone else's body. Claire FlorianiThis is one of my all time top ten movies, can watch it over and over again, Hopkins at his best, Pitt, who I usually don't like or at least am indifferent too, is perfect as Death experiencing life in someone else's body. Claire Floriani (sp.? sorry) is ethereal, attractive and interesting without being a classic ten. The supporting cast all great in integral to the story. I often feel that long movies are just that, under-edited and overblown, never felt that way about this flick, not a wasted moment, and every moment a pleasure to watch on the screen. The scene where Hopkins gets mad at death, "remember who you are talking to" "I don't give a damn" is epic. Expand
JobA.Mar 13, 2008
This movie is incredible.I've seen it around 7-8 times.The acting is right on and it is a great story.It should of got better reviews cause its a great movie experience.I rate it a 9.2.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
SethH.Feb 27, 2006
First of all, the reason that the Brad Pitt's character is so stale through most of the movie is because he plays DEATH! What did you expect? The movie is exceptionally long, but I cannot think of a scene I would want to exclude [other First of all, the reason that the Brad Pitt's character is so stale through most of the movie is because he plays DEATH! What did you expect? The movie is exceptionally long, but I cannot think of a scene I would want to exclude [other than Brad speaking to the Jamaican woman]. The score is nothing less than brilliant; Thomas Newman is a genius. The scenes fit together seemlessly. At the very least, this film is intelligent and entertaining. If viewers are too bored with this movie, I suggest taking more riddelin and watching Die Hard twice...it'll still take three hours, but you'll get to see Bruce Willis blow stuff up. If you actually want to watch a well-thought-out, relatively original film, you'll not be dissapointed. Collapse
1 of 2 users found this helpful
sron1234Feb 16, 2013
One of the best movies ever. However if you are an movie lover who needs violence with a lot of blood, sex and vulgar dialogs, do yourself a favor and do not waste your time.
Everyone else...enjoy!
NShep53Jun 17, 2015
Meet Joe Black is a beautiful, little film (yes I just said an 180 minute film was little). It features great performances by Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins. This movie isn't for the action-oriented crowd. This movie is slow and deep.