Melinda and Melinda

6.1

1. Dec 1, 2014
    I revere Woody Allen. But this is one Woody Allen flm I cannot support. The juxtaposition of the storyline simultaneously along tragic and comedic lines just does not work. Most of all, it's confusing. Notwithstanding a terrible script, I have to say Will Farrell does an admirable job. The other cast members fall flat.
  2. CraigA.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Just rubbish. Stilted, unnatural dialogue, wooden performances, pretensious and bourgious. Its concept is supposedly the same story told two different ways. Its not. Its two different stories told the same way - badly.
  3. SusanM
    Dec 29, 2005
    I rented this pitiful "film." I am appalled that anybody was willing to fund this. It reminded me of a beginning acting class where people pair up and do scenes in front of the class and "act" with all the realism of a piece of wood. Moreover, the archaic dialoge just sounded ridiculous. Does Mr. Allen ever listen to contemporary conversations? Oh, and everyone is an accomplished musician I rented this pitiful "film." I am appalled that anybody was willing to fund this. It reminded me of a beginning acting class where people pair up and do scenes in front of the class and "act" with all the realism of a piece of wood. Moreover, the archaic dialoge just sounded ridiculous. Does Mr. Allen ever listen to contemporary conversations? Oh, and everyone is an accomplished musician and they only like Cole Porter! "I was walking along a sidewalk and there was a piano. I used to play in high school. Actually, I gave concerts." Puh-lease. The only cast member I didn't pity was Amanda Peet, who emerged from this mess without losing any dignity. Can't say the same for everyone else. Hey, what did you guys think? Collapse
  4. GregT.
    Nov 9, 2005
    Rhonda asks how anyone can hate a Woody Allen movie...easy, just watch this one.
  5. MarkP.
    Apr 24, 2005
    I found this film deeply disconcerting and uncomfortable throughout. The dialogue frequently sounds as if it were written by someone who has never seen a film before, with the actors making florid pronouncements about love and life that I didn't believe for a second. Except for the film's star, the actors seem extremely uncomfortable, as if they realize that their characters I found this film deeply disconcerting and uncomfortable throughout. The dialogue frequently sounds as if it were written by someone who has never seen a film before, with the actors making florid pronouncements about love and life that I didn't believe for a second. Except for the film's star, the actors seem extremely uncomfortable, as if they realize that their characters have about as much resemblance to human beings as fireplugs do to streetlights. Every time Will Farrell went into the faux Woody Allen stuttering and jittering, I literally cringed; it was like watching a person who doesn't realize they are mentally ill try to act normal. I had to keep myself from jumping up and running out of the theater -- and finally I did, a few minutes before the end. This movie is deeply amoral and horribly forced. Expand
    Apr 23, 2005
    I love Woody Allen, but I can't say this movie was anything worth remembering or ever watching again for a second time. Better luck next year.

With Melinda and Melinda he's (Allen) not just going through the motions. He's saying the game isn't over before you laugh till it hurts.
  2. Woody's back on solid ground with his first memorable pic of the new millennium.
    It's emotionally more alive than anything Allen has done since "Sweet and Lowdown," in 1999. I was absorbed in it, and I liked parts of it. And I wish to God it were better.